Speaker 1: Welcome to Hout of Money.
Speaker 2: I'm Joel and I am Matt.
Speaker 1: Today we're answering your listener questions. That's right, Joel, We've got listener questions to get to. Today.
Speaker 3: We're gonna hear from a listener who is wondering if hsas are overrated. Another listener he's been snagging a thirteen percent dividend yield.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna talk about some single stock investing. Another listener is interested in the steps to get into real estate investing. We'll get to all that and more during our Listener Question Monday episode. Here at how to Money.
Speaker 1: Two different kinds of real estate investing, one which actually takes more effort than the other, which is kind of, you know, pretty simple right through, done through your keyboard. And we have different opinions on both quick, frugal, frugal or cheap for you though, Matt, you just had your anniversary. Congrats nineteen years Yeah, thank you, thank you. It's impressive. We've told Kate for a long time she could do better. She never listened to us.
Speaker 3: That's what I That's what I told her. It's it's the best, it's not a heist. What do you call it, it's the I've pulled it off for nineteen years.
Speaker 1: Wool over her eyes. Yes, you have so sour. Our anniversary's coming up in the fall, and we just it's been a minute since we've had a adults only the two of us trip, like an awesome one, and so I my mom was telling me about, Wow, this is like really cute place north of Niagara Falls. You should check it out. And I started to look it up. I was like, this place, it's awesome. So I think we're going.
Speaker 2: To go there, and sounds very romantic.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's got to be a spot near Niagara Falls called Lover's Leap. She should probably go visit because somebody one hundred years ago jumped to their death because somebody would marry them or something, right.
Speaker 1: Carve our initials into a tree or something like that to mark the occasion. Well, I was I got the okay for Emily, but I'm curious to hear your take on this. Because the by far, the cheapest ticket to get up there to Buffalo, New York was using Frontier Airlines, and the round trip price on Frontier round trip NonStop from Atlanta was eighty eight dollars eighty eight. Oh my gosh, I'm like, you has a steal, dude. And then at every other airline was at least triple that often quadruple or more. Wow, they had the best flight times, And it was like, you just got to go to Buffalo. But yes, and of course with Frontier, like you pay extra foreverything. So you want to bring a bag on board to carry on, You're gonna have to pay quite a bit of money for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know what your question is.
Speaker 1: I talked to Emily about this and I was like, you said, friguler cheap. I'll say we can get this great B and B we can pay more eat at this nice restaurant. But are you down with jumping through the Frontier hoops so we can save a ton of money on the flight?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 1: Is it frugal? Chief for me to try to do that on anniversary right out.
Speaker 5: Of the gate?
Speaker 3: Frugal dude? Because you you led with the punchline, which is that Emily approved it, so there's nothing to discuss. If it's okay with her, then it's so it should be okay with you. It's okay with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she debated it, though you know she was. She was not like one hundred percent sure off the bat. Yes, this is a great idea, but I think part of it was they were they were truly the best flights. But then the story she doesn't care whether or it's the best flights.
Speaker 3: She cares about whether or not she can take whatever she wants to wear on your trip.
Speaker 1: You know, like you don't want to get on this flight to come home, right right?
Speaker 2: Right? Oh gotcha?
Speaker 3: So the best flight from the Yeah, yeah, I'm paying my attention to that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to.
Speaker 3: I used to always look at, okay, whatever is the most affordable. Yeah, I am prioritizing now. Uh, just fast, fastest overall flight time. To me, that's the biggest thing. I just don't want to spend and I don't care if it's I'll even do a uh what do you call it layover? If it means because sometimes they'll be a direct flight that wait, does that even make sense? Is there a direct flight that's sometimes slower?
Speaker 1: No, But but there's some like especially with Southwest, there are some layovers where you don't even get off the plane, where you stay on. I don't care. Yeah, it's they're just turning the plane and and they take some passengers getting off, new passengers getting on. I've done that before and it saves so much money. Was it was well worth it? Sadly though, Sadly Frontier emails me like days later and they're like, we have completely changed your itinerary and now it's like one stop in Florida and it's a much longer trip.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're going down to Florida to go to New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all gotten way worse. It's gotten so much worse. So I had to cancel these tickets that were such a deal, and I had to book a more expensive airline anyway, which was just really annoying to a frugal guy like me.
Speaker 2: Well who'd you end up booking Delta? Oh my gosh, so primo?
Speaker 1: There no other options, man, I think I don't think there was legitimate options.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well what Also?
Speaker 3: The other thing I was going to say is that how much how much does it cost to check a bag with Frontier?
Speaker 1: Well it depends. There are like packages that you can buy ahead of time.
Speaker 3: Ahead of time, like obviously if they do it at the gate, they really stuck you. Oh wait, did we fly Frontier When we went down to the Dominican we did, and the people in front of us it was too big, and then they hit them with like was it one hundred bucks?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was at least one hundred dollars. Yeah, it was on the way, Yeah it was. So you really got to know that your bag's gonna fit, and you could check ahead of time, like our Codo Pacsi twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Lead leader outa.
Speaker 1: They're they're perfect because they do fit in there if it's not overpacked. But you gotta you gotta know your luggage dimension size before you fly fly Frontier and try to jump through those hoops.
Speaker 3: I will say one additional factor is the time of year that you go, because if it's during the summer and you're not wearing a whole lot of layers, guess what your ability to pack light easy?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I'm thinking about the trip Kate and I would like we outside. We'velown into Denver, which is a very affordable flight out of Atlanta, and because of that, we've gone there multiple times. Let the deal and dictate where it is you travel. But we've gone hiking late in the fall where there's like it's snowed right multiple inches, which means like we've got specialty gear, We've got lots of layers that is more difficult to pull off. With the coat of Pacci, you have to really limit your footwear and whatever else you're bringing if if it's winter months, but if it's uh, yeah, summer months, it's easier to pull off the carrier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were going to have to wear our coats because that's what we're gonna be able to pack them. But now we don't have that problem. The only problem is I spent too much money. So should we mention the beer math that we're having on this episode?
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: This one is called the Lakeside kolsh By Lake of the Woods Brewing Company. Matt's who the beautiful turquoise can?
Speaker 3: It is a pretty it's a pretty can. I just decided that from now on, what we'll say is would you like to introduce because when you say let's or should we first person plural is not specific enough. So from now on I shall say, Joel, you want to tell listeners how it is that they can send us their listener question.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to do that. So if you have a money question. We'd love to take it on the next ask htm episode. Just go to how to money dot com slash ask for the simple directions, or literally just record your voice memo on the app on your phone, email it over to us how to moneypot at gmail dot com. Let's get to a bunch of good ones.
Speaker 2: Matt, Uh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: First one is going to specifically be about hsas. Somebody is like, I've heard you talk about them for so long, but I still got some questions.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of introduction I was looking for.
Speaker 6: There we go, Hey, Matt and Joel, this is El in Minneapolis. I feel like every time I have a money question, I reach out to you, So here is yet another one. I have a question about HSA's after listening to yesterday's episode. I don't have access to an HSA, but I'm still curious. Nonetheless, you talk about the benefits of HSA and all of the triple tax savings because basically the money is never taxed, and I understand all those benefits. However, the thing I don't understand is how can these accounts be so beneficial if the money in there can only be used for medical expenses? So, say, if I pay one hundred dollars bill now with cash, and I don't use my HSA, But then I use that receipt later and get one hundred dollars, That money is going to be worth less when I try to cash in in twenty years. So I understand that the HSA account in general has more money in it because that one hundred dollars was able to be in the stock market, et cetera. But if I can only get the money out for medical expenses, is the benefit that my medical expenses when I'm older are going to be more and so overall I'm spending less or what is the true benefit if it's only from medical expenses. Putting aside that if you reach a certain age, you can take the money out and treat it like a traditional wrath, which why not just put.
Speaker 2: Money into a traditional wroth?
Speaker 6: Okay, if you can convince me, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Bye, Matt.
Speaker 1: Do you're best convincing?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll first say that Elle said in what you say in twenty years it will be worth less. She didn't say it'd be worthless. It'd be worth less because I'm assuming she's talking about inflation. But yeah, well, thank you for your question, and we will convince you. I generally say too that most people's HSA will be worth less in twenty years because most people aren't investing in their age.
Speaker 2: They're not investing the dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you look at the numbers, I think a report just came out, it's somewhare, depending on who you believe, fifteen to eight ten percent of people invest the money that's in their HSA. So the vast majority of people who have in HSAC and are sticking money in there, they're not investing that money, and so they are not taking full advantage of the account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: So on that note, then, so I punched the numbers in and the example she gave was one hundred bucks, and were you to actually invest those dollars, assuming an eight percent rate of return on that one hundred bucks, in twenty years, you're not looking at it being worth less. I guess we don't know what inflation is going to be, but it's gonna be worth more at four hundred and sixty six bucks, okay, And so you can easily apply that. So instead of one hundred, you're looking at a thousand. It's worth four thousand six hundred and sixty dollars even more right if you attack on a few extra years from twenty to twenty five, maybe even to thirty and so, I don't know, I'm not going I'm to me, that's an oppressive amount of money, right, it's not like life changing, but the power of compounding is still there in Dell, I want to make sure that you fully understand that, like truly you will see your money grows substantially by making sure that you are investing it as opposed to it sitting there as cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it adds that first important to mention that it's tax free compounding, right, because the money goes in and you don't pay tax, the money grows, you don't pay tax on that, and you don't pay tax when you pull the money out. But Matt, that is that is the benefit. But why if you had access to an HSA, would you potentially go with the HSA over a roth iray like El saying that seems like the most straightforward the thing is to stick it in the roth ira and just bypass the HSA.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another point that I think there might be some lack of clarity.
Speaker 2: I guess which l you can do both.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you understand the basics of how the HSA works, right, you keep up with your medical expenses and essentially you reimburse yourself down the road. But the fact is you can do that HSA in addition to your roth ira. And so that means for this year, you've got a seventy five hundred dollars maximum contribution.
Speaker 2: To your wrath.
Speaker 3: You're the way you're talking, it makes me sound like maybe this is just for you, so not NATUSA for a family, which means you can contribute an additional forty four hundred dollars if you do have a family, and I'm just not aware of that. It's eighty seven fifty I believe. But that's in addition to the roth ira. So yes, not only are we talking about the roth ira roth ira contributions, which are great, but the HSA, which has the triple tax advantage, which is even better.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, it's it's the bothand approach, right, and and that is ideal, right, And that means even on top of that, if you're going to actually be able to utilize the HSA the way the way we would like you to, maybe not the way it's intended, because I think, for truly I don't. I don't know that the people who created the HSA foresaw that people would be investing and using it the way that personal finance nerds have turned it. You know, they've turned it into this glorious account for retirement. I don't think that's the way it was planned at the beginning. But the great thing is, yes, you avoid complete taxation the whole way through the other thing that she mentioned in here, well, what if I don't have enough healthcare expenses? Well, I will say this. There is a cap right forty four hundred dollars a year, and let's say over twenty five years, you were to put in that amount of money mass you did an example of one hundred dollars. Well, if you put forty four hundred dollars in up to the max, you would have something like four hundred thousand dollars after twenty five years. And you might say that is so much money. I don't know that I'm going to incur all the medical costs. That would mean that I could redeem it and actually not pay tax. And that might be true if you're an incredibly healthy person, but you also have to look at what is available, like in terms of what qualifies as a deductible expense for an HSA. So it's worth digging in to see because there are what lasik surgery copays, flu shots, ibuprofen potentially even with a doctor's note, like gyms and massage. And then when you go down the road when healthcare expenses are getting even are becoming even larger in your life, talking about long term care, talking about Medicare premiums. I mean, there are all sorts of things, ways in which your health costs in all likelihood on average, are going to balloon in your older age, and you'll be glad that you socked away. I think, this big stash of money to pay for those health care costs, and you're not worried about increasing your tax bill by pulling that money out. So yeah, I don't know that it's an either or. I think it is a kind of a both, and ideally that you use both accounts. But even if let's say over the next over the next ten to fifteen years, you're only accumulating fifty grand worth of cost in terms of medical expenses, I think later on in life you're going to see a big uptick and it'll be nice to have the stash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 3: And like a second ago, you said something about the you know, the fact that this is a glorious retirement account. And I think the core of what El's getting at is that it's just not that much money based on the way she's currently spending, right, And that's kind of based on the fact that she gave an example of Hey, I've got one hundred dollars, Like, okay, what's that going to turn into? And I gave example of like fouruner and sixty six bucks. It's like big whoop, fourner sixty six bucks, right, Like that is not very much money. And so all and if she is healthy, and if she does continue to be healthy, does not have medical expenses, I will, like I agree that it's not going to make as big of a difference. And so depending on the person, I will readily concede that the benefit is more in principle as opposed to how much you're actually going to be able to set aside in practice if you don't aggressively sock money away within your HSA, and so.
Speaker 1: In that even if you even if you only contribute up to fifty percent of the cap. And let's say you have two hundred thousand dollars in retirement and you can tap those receipts and it's super flexible. That I love the flexibility the account. And then what she mentioned too is that at age sixty five, you can turn the account. I think she said a traditional wrath but into essentially what is a traditional IRA that you will get taxed on. But that's great, Like that just means it's got an even extra added lever of flexibility.
Speaker 2: Ex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll be taxed on it, given if that is what happens down the pike for you, But that is better than it being It's kind of like the way the five twenty nine like has added flexibility. Now this is still a flexible account, even if it's not ideal to use it under those traditional IRA circumstances. It doesn't mean that that's a loss. I think that means.
Speaker 3: It's definitely not a loss. It's just it doesn't quite have the appeal or the ring. I think if and I'm going to assume that she is this is just for herself, you're looking at forty four hundred dollars versus I mean, it's all relative, right, if you've got and most people have a relatively limited amount of money that they can set aside for retirement. You compare a forty four hundred dollars cap to employer sponsored for one K. That's a tremendous amount of money, right, Like it makes me think about it's like minitoring, and it's majoring in the minors, you know, and kind of being overly fixated on some of the smaller details, like if you if somebody's if somebody says, hey, oh, yesterday, I was able to get a fifty percent discount when I filled up at the gas station, I'm like, all right, hook me up, like tell me where to go. That's a great deal. But there's a big difference between that and someone saying, hey, I just got a five percent discount when I bought my car yesterday. Okay, Well, on paper, the fifty percent is a bigger discount, but we're talking about a smaller sum of money as opposed to a five percent discount on a larger purchase, which is going to be much more significant. So in practice, that's I guess that's that's kind of what I'm getting at that on paper and principle, you look at that triple tax advantage, quadruple tax advantage. If you're talking about this coming straight out of your paycheck where it's not even getting hit with payroll tax, you cannot beat it. Yes, And I'm not gonna let that one go, like there is nothing else that is treated that favorably. But I think it comes down to how individuals are going to use it, how much they're willing to set aside, and the additional work right, like the additional keeping up with the expenses, keeping the Excel file on hand, or the Google sheet keeping that updated. It's just another step that I think is a barrier for some folks. It's absolutely the most tax efficient, optimized way to go about doing it, but depending on your medical spending and how much you're prioritizing your other accounts. I can understand if in practice some folks are less excited about it, that's all. Yeah, Yeah, and I get that too. I guess I think Elle has just she seemed to really understand how the account works by the way she praised her question, and then still there was a disconnect between does this account make sense? And it sounded like I think she said she doesn't even have one. She's just kind of theorizing, what if I do have, actis to one at some point. And I think the kind of person that she is, based on her depth of knowledge of this account and the way she thinks about her money, it probably is an account you want to take advantage of if you're the kind of person who's like I can't max out my ROTH yet I'm barely getting the match in my four O one K. Well, the HSA is a can to kick down the road for another day, and it's a great goal to have for years down the road, for you to be able to contribute at least something to it. But even though I get what you're saying, and I think it makes total sense, even if you have access to the HSA, it doesn't mean it's the first place to go, even though it has the best tax benefits. That's right, all right, we got more to get to. We're gonna hear from a listener who is interested in rehabbing her home. We'll get to that question in more right after this.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back, Matt. We're taking a listener questions and this is a great one. I'm looking forward to taking this one. It is specifically out. What if I've invested in a single position and I'm underwater.
Speaker 7: Hey, Matt and Joel, this is Alex and I've been a listener since twenty eighteen, and my craft beer equivalent is craft beer. Although I don't trick as much these days. Stuff is expensive. I'm trying to save and invest more these days so I can be more financially stable when I moved to the Philippines whenever, that is any who. My question is that I'm kind of locked in with a rate stock, specifically A G and C for the past few years. I bought more and more shares in the early twenty twenties. Stock was going up and up in those years, but has since decreased to pre COVID days, but I still collect the monthly dividends as reats do. My current plan with the stock is keep it until it goes up to the break given point and sell some day. Meantime, I bought more shares when the market dipped after the tariff announcements last year, so you know, buy low, sell high. So I'm still buying lower than the average price with the dividends I receive from that rout. Should I stick to this plan or is there a bear way out? Thanks for all you guys do. If you guys ever find yourselves in your neighborhood to the north in Chattanooga, I'll buy you guys a few beers from the bruise here cheers.
Speaker 1: That was the Joe Suburb, a suburb of Atlanta, right, try to Nigga.
Speaker 3: Basically, you were up there all the time, Joel, I feel like you might be able to take Alex.
Speaker 2: Up on his offer.
Speaker 1: True. Now, I am My sister lives there, so I try to make it up there a couple times a year at least, and I love that little town.
Speaker 2: Hit up.
Speaker 3: What's the bakery? Need Love's Bakery Place is awesome? Sell They also do coffee really well there. You know what we need to do is get up to Cloudland Canyon and do like a double digit run.
Speaker 1: There's fifty k in December.
Speaker 3: Come on, we don't need to do that. We just need all to do which ye do. Let's just let's just do like a cool fifteen miles, you and me and anybody else who wants to join. Uh for any question of it, how about that, maybe.
Speaker 2: We can cut it down.
Speaker 1: I'm down for that, Uh, well, actually, by the way, I'm random. Speaking of Chattaningga. My sister said, there's a new French bakery that is off the chain, super good.
Speaker 2: Another one like a new one, what about Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: It's on the same stretch as need Loves, like another French baker. Yeah, so Chattanoo firt it out punches its size in terms of kind of culture and food, music outdoors compared to a lot of other cities its size. So yeah, well, Alex, let's let's.
Speaker 2: Kick it off.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you sharing what it is that you've been doing with your money, how you've been investing. And the first thing that I want to say is it depends I think our response or our response is maybe the same, I guess, but the seriousness in which you take our advice depends a lot on how much of this you own. And I don't think did he say how much of it he owns Joel.
Speaker 1: Or how much his port?
Speaker 3: Okay, So that being said, you know that magnitude it makes a big difference, because if we're talking about five percent or less, I.
Speaker 2: Don't really care. Alex is not a big deal.
Speaker 3: Like I own some stupid stocks and they don't make up more than five percent of my overall portfolio.
Speaker 2: I think have I shared on the schedule that I bought some Fox stock.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he did.
Speaker 3: Fox Entertainment basically, And this is the kind of dumb stuff that people do and they call it investing. I do it, and I think it's just fun. Right, this isn't a part of my retirement. But I'm sitting there watching the World Cup and I'm like, oh my gosh, Yeah, there are so many ads because of the new FIFA hydration breaks and they're like tripling their ad revenue, and I thought, oh my gosh, I bet Fox is going to.
Speaker 2: Have a good quarter.
Speaker 3: Maybe they've already even released their earnings. I'm less good about checking in on it after the fact I goes, but I was just like, let me buy a few shares of that? Why not just as like a point of interest. That's totally fine, Alex. If you're talking about if you've got a little bit, you know, not too much of that rate, then I'm fine with that. But if not, if you've got more than that, then you definitely need to make some changes I think to your portfolio.
Speaker 1: Well, and that is Matt, you just described. I think one of the reasons that single stock investing can be perilous is because you buy because you have an expectation or you see maybe an opportunity, and then keeping up with the company and knowing when selling makes sense is harder. Right, It's easier to find the see the opportunity on the front end, and even that is not easy. But I think the best question for Alex is if he had the current cash value of this rut today in hand, would he still put money in that direction? Would he buy the same amount that he holds now? And I think there.
Speaker 2: Is sunk cost fallacy, right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I think there is this. A lot of investors have it if they're underwater in a position, they just at least wanted to get back to the price at which they purchased it. And I understand where that comes from mentally, but I think you have to push back against that because if then you're falling prey to sun cost fallacy, or you're saying, once it gets back there, then I'll then I'll sell. Well, why not once it's up ten percent or up twenty percent? And the truth is, maybe it gets there, maybe it doesn't. Are you looking at the right metrics, and I think for a lot of people, the best thing to do, it's not hey, is this the should I keep it until it gets back to zero? It's is there a better place for my money to be right now than than continuing to exist inside of the street one percent?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: And uh, that was a perfect segue for the direction I wanted to go in, because specifically, I think what Alex got sucked in by or where the dividends? And he mentioned the dividends specifically, and I I forget even that. Oh I would have done a GNC and I was like, Okay, who is this AGENC? And I looked it up and this like the subheading like when you pull up search them up on pull them up on Google is now? I wrote it down here where is it? We are an internally managed mortgage rate built to generate favorable long term stalkholder returns with a substantial yield components. It's literally written there in on the description. The fact that I think Alex has been very attracted to that dividend, and I think because of that, it's it's got him not looking at the overall price. And you got to you gotta look at look at both aspects of it. But at the end of the day, man, you look at the performance of that versus the S and P five hundred, and I ran the numbers not surprising. You look at the past decade, the past ten years of performance of A G and C versus VU the S and P five hundred. Over the past ten years, you're looking at annualized growth of six point three percent with a G and C. And you're like, Okay, it's not bad. That's not bad versus fifteen point four percent.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: So that's had you taken ten thousand dollars and invested it, invested it back in twenty sixteen, on one hand, you'd have eighteen thousand dollars, and again you're like, okay, not bad versus forty two thousand dollars eighteen versus forty two. Man, And here's the deal.
Speaker 1: I didn't even look to see what the cost the price is on this either.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're you're kind of basing it more on principle. But I was just like, there's no way that the principle isn't going to deliver real life results. And this is also with the dividends reinvested and so someone might say, well, no, no, no, that's paying a higher that's paying a higher dividend yield. At the top of the episode, it's thirteen percent versus vus is something like one point something percent, And you're like, oh my gosh, well, why wouldn't you want to do that, just because you haven't seen price appreciation. So you take both of those stocks, you look at ten years of sticker price performance plus dividends, and that's the difference you're looking at. So that's a big difference. And this isn't to guarantee that things are going to continue the way that they've been, but you got to let history inform the decisions that you make today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just like the idea of saying one not being overexposed. So, like you mentioned in the beginning, if you have too much, too high a percentage of your overall assets in this one real estate investment trust versus the overall stock market, then you need to sell just for that reason alone, even if you haven't gotten back to parody from where you bought it. So that's one thing for sure, But also, hey, do I think that this rate is going to produce creator returns over the next decade or do I care? Is this just fun money?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Is this just that kind of speculative five percent where I allow myself to invest in fun stuff that I enjoy and this rate was just attractive to me for other reasons. In that case, don't worry about it. Like if this is one to two percent of your overall investment portfolio and it's the goof a round side, who cares. But otherwise I would say, if you're serious about this and you want to maximize returns and minimize costs, I would be selling this position and redeploying that capital into an investing position. I felt more confident.
Speaker 2: About one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, if it was me, same sort of thing, I would be taking the information the past performance and help allowing that to inform what I do now, which is, if it was me, I think I would be cutting bait, looking to redeploy those dollars towards something else, unless I will say, if it's a smaller let's say he's at like ten percent of his overall portfolio, is an AG and C and maybe there's a soft you got a little sautpart in your heart for it, Like whatever reason you chose to buy in the first place. Maybe it was a friend who's a part of the company, or I don't know, maybe it was recommended maintain those positions. And if you can contribute to a low cost, widely diversified index fund or voo whatever it is, the entire stock market, and if you can essentially right size your portfolio by investing more in some of the avenues that we would typically recommend, I'm fine with that. Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: Just find a way to diminish the size of this in your work phone exactly, whether that's through selling, cutting bait, redeploying, or by you saying, looking ahead, oh man, I'm about to get a bonus at work.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'm about to get Mary. We're going to combine our incomes cut expenses because now we only have one rent to pay. If there could be a number of factors that could lead you to realize I'm about to have the ability to invest so many more dollars, and if you're able to funnel those towards something like view, then yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: Would be okay as well.
Speaker 1: All right, speaking of real estate, let's get to a listener in New York who wants to kind of start her real estate journey with physical real estate, not in reats that you trade publicly.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, this is Katie calling from It area in New York State.
Speaker 5: I've been listening to your podcast for about a year and a half, somewhat active in the Facebook group as well.
Speaker 4: Love everything that you do. I've learned a ton, so thank you.
Speaker 5: My question today, or questions rather, are regarding real estate investing. My husband and I own our home currently. We will be done paying off our mortgage in eight years in year twenty thirty four. The plan is to start with this house, do some renovations, learn a little bit, move from this place, rent it out to a single family, and then sort of do the same thing with a second property and sort of go from there. We're talking pretty small scale, but I want to do it right and specific questions I have one, how do I determine whether an area is a good place to buy a property. I'm wondering if there are any resources I can find regarding quality of life rating scals regarding growth of a specific specific area. Second question, what should I expect in terms of monthly profit? How does this get determined? Which is reasonable? Third question? I hear a lot about tax advantages of real estate investing.
Speaker 4: Can you talk about this for a little bit.
Speaker 5: And fourth question, I think I know what the answer is going to be about this. But you know, we have a good amount of equity built up in our current home. What are your thoughts on using some of that equity to pay for a down payment for a second home? That sort of thing? And should we repeat that process? You know, please tell me about that. Any of the resources you guys have or any other ideas, please share them.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much. Really love this community.
Speaker 2: Basically, please don't keep them to yourself, Joel.
Speaker 1: There are so many, so many questions to hear, Matt. We better get to share, share the wealth, share the well.
Speaker 3: But yes, men, Sorry, I hit the voice the voice memo before you finished the introduction there.
Speaker 2: I know you're a rabbit cut off.
Speaker 1: I'm an idiot.
Speaker 3: So it takes a second before you hit click play and it actually plays you know this, and so you kind of like lead into it slightly, and then you're like, oh crap, he said some more words.
Speaker 1: So I apologize, my friend. The how to Money Facebook group, by the way, is an excellent place to go for with your money questions. And we'll get to a Facebook question here and just a bit. The first thing I wanted to say to Katie is that real estate can be intimidating, and I love that her goal is to start small. I think that is the best way to go. That's the best way to start. And there are a lot of real estate influencers out there who talk about how much size matters and if you don't have eighty two units, then you're just not doing it right. And a lot of those people are I've seen it firsthand, people who are who are really smart, who have big followings, who make investments, and behind the scenes, they're sweating bullets because they they had too rosia prediction about and they were over leveraged, and they find themselves in a tight spot when the market doesn't do what they were hoping or expecting. That has happened a lot in the past few years for real estate investors who bought at the top higher interest rates, projecting rent increases that didn't materialize, and so follow a guy like like Chad Carson is one of my pieces of advice because he's all about helping small time real estate investors, and that's what she want to be so pick a person that you admire in the space, who offers really good, credible information and who's doing what you want to do. Don't tune out all of the other real estate people that don't have that same kind of motto, mindset and mentality that you have.
Speaker 2: Katie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll see if I can seguey from that, because her first actual question was asking about determining good areas to buy, like determining quality of life, that kind of stuff. And one of the things that's interesting about Chad Carson is that he is in a part of the country where you are seeing a.
Speaker 2: Lot of growth.
Speaker 3: And so Katie, she's up in York, and I don't know specifically where she is in New York, but I think she generally.
Speaker 2: Poughkeepsie is alway, she said, Poughkeepsie.
Speaker 3: I think so generally speaking, I mean, folks are moving from the northern cities right like we're seeing massive population declines in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, and so you got to look at some of these bigger macro trends as opposed to what like the cities that are seeing massive amounts of growth, they're all in the South, They're on the sun Belt, you're like Joel, you syndicate invest Like, where where are those syndication deals? A lot of them are in the sun belt states you're looking at. You look at what's happened with some of those sunbelts. Some of those have imploded as well, some of those have done. Really look at Austin. Everyone's like, Austin's the hot place. Everyone's moving to Austin, and then guess what happens? It gets overbuilt.
Speaker 1: So that's another one of those things you have to consider, is like does everyone else think the same thing? Are people building in outrageous amounts because everyone sees the opportunity in Austin.
Speaker 2: There's also a.
Speaker 3: Difference between multi massive, multi family apartments and single family, which is what she's looking at. But you are seeing tons of people multiple towns in Texas, Tennessee, Atlanta is seeing a lot of growth, North Carolina, Florida, even and so I think that's really important keeping that in mind a little bit. It can be difficult, I think, to get into real estate, especially the rental game, if you are looking at managing properties in an area where there are folks departing, where we're seeing more people move out than move in. That can make it difficult, right, you're just fighting this ongoing headwind. But then beyond that, I mean, you can look at some of the different scorecards out there, but I think it comes down to if you're saying, well, this is something we want to pursue, and she mentioned that she's very interested in doing this, it comes down to knowing not just the neighborhood, but even the street and even specific houses. Any deal Joel that you got a great deal on, why was it because you looked at some overall general scorecard or was it because you spend a lot of time walking, driving the streets, visiting the parks even that are in the neighborhood that you're thinking about purchasing in. That's a little disc off, shout out, but.
Speaker 1: Knowing knowing, knowing what businesses are are coming into that neighborhood and how much likely they're gonna they're gonna raise just kind of the expectations and the cool factor right of that community. I agree. The other great thing about knowing a place street to street and buying where you live, Matt, as you know, is you get to self manage and and that has just such a huge impact versus you could say, oh, the best market to buy in right now is Cincinnati, and so I'm going to hire a property manager and I'm going to figure out how to buy properties in Cincinnati, Ohio. But there are a lot of additional costs that come with buying in even if it even if the numbers look better on some of those homes, those numbers are going to not look nearly as good when you factor in property management in the fact that you don't know that place nearly as well. So is Poughkeepsie as great of a place to invest right now as maybe a dozen other cities that I could mention to you. Maybe not, but Poughkeepsie has some great things going for it, and it's still find a deal, they'll want it, And you can always you can find a deal in any market, in any place if you take the time to really get to know that area and you know what you're looking for. But I think that the fact that you could self manage and it sounds like too one of the things she's intent on doing that paying off her mortgage and renting out the home they currently live in and buying something else, which makes me think that she's going to stay local, be able to have this paid off rental property that now she is renting out that she knows incredibly well, and we have said it doesn't even have to be paid off. But like that is the best way for most people to get into the rental property game is to own a single family home. You've got better financing on that property already, You're going to get better financing on the next property you buy by renting that puppy out. So I think that is investing where you live. That is at least a future bar check marks in those boxes for going in that direction.
Speaker 3: I will say I'll push back slightly on that and say that I want what's Katie. I want Katie to consider not just renovating and then renting these properties, Like, Katie, I want you to consider renovating and then selling the properties. Because in this kind of segues into one of your questions, you're asking about, like the tax advantages of owning real estate, and there definitely are some right depreciation writing off expenses. Even becoming a full time real estate professional, there's a high hurdle as far as the number of hours that are required in order for you to actually qualify for that. In the eyes of the irs. But in my opinion, I think the biggest superpower is that when you sell your primary home, which means that you've lived in it for at least two years as and you mentioned your husband, that you two combined can exclude up to five hundred thousand dollars in capital gains. There are very few people who are willing to do this. But you even mentioned you said that you want to move out of the house that you're currently in, like you are wanting to do this sort of this rinse and repeat sort of method, and most people aren't willing to do that.
Speaker 2: And so the fact that you have this desire to like.
Speaker 3: Oh, we want to move in, we want to get it looking nice, I think your real superpower is going to be the ability to then sell those properties at a premium, focusing on neighborhoods that are seeing appreciation their up and coming. They're not they're not at the top of the market, but they're also not properties where you might have to wait a full decade in order to see some appreciation there. And as opposed to seeing those recurring revenues at cash flow monthly, man, I think you have a tremendous ability here, especially if you're leaning into doing this with your husband and you're like, oh no, we're we like doing stuff around the house. We want it to make we want to to make it look.
Speaker 2: A certain way. It's tough to do.
Speaker 3: All that backbreaking work and then start to rent it and then see a renter move in who's not going to take care that nearly as much as as you did, as opposed to listing it and earning all of that money tax free. In my opinion, I want you too seriously consider doing that as opposed to renting. And maybe you're not considering because you didn't know about it. So hopefully this at least puts it on your radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Live and Flip, it's something we've talked about when we had Carl, our friend mister fifteen hundred on the show Jensen, probably a couple of years ago at this point, but this is the pattern that he lives by, and I think it's a great way to invest, especially given kind of the way Katie's talking about this. Maybe maybe she doesn't want to manage tenants, but she likes to live in the place. They like to diy some of these fixes, which means it reduces the cost instead of hiring people to come in and do it, and you have a longer timeline, which means that you're letting the market. General market appreciation is when to you're back, along with the fact that you're spending less to do a bunch of this renovation work because you've got plenty of time to do it. You're doing over the course of years, and it's putting a roof over your head at the same time. So I think the living flip is so underrated, and you're right, Matt. It gives one of the best tax advantages that most people don't really think about.
Speaker 2: You got a five hundreds or two thousand dollars man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like that is just the other best tax benefit incredible that doesn't get talked about as much as it should is when you die, you get to you get to pass on that house tax free if you still if you own it. So that's if you have a long term rental property where you have tenants in it. The step up basis to your airs is a big tax benefit of real estate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then she asked about the equity aspect of it, and obviously, if you you know she's talking about hanging onto properties, pulling pulling equity out of homes like that just comes down to personal risk. It comes down to what your financing looks like on this properties, because a lot of times you're not going to get nearly as good of.
Speaker 2: A rates if you have to pull some of that equity.
Speaker 3: She seems pretty conservative, and so I doubt she's gonna put herself in a position to where they're in massively disadvantaged sort of loan in order to pull that equity equity out to gain the next piece of property. But ultimately, I mean, if you think about it, even if you're doing the renovate and sell sort of approach, like I don't know, like what are you doing with that equity? A lot of times you're taking some of those earnings and rolling that into the next purchase. Right, maybe it's another property that's oh, this one's oh, it's going to require a bigger down payment. It's a one hundred two hundred thousand dollars more more house, which could also lead to even larger amounts of appreciation. So I don't know that that was my big on Once I realized that they were willing to move every two years, like my mind immediately went to the Carl Jensen Live and Flip Mister fifteen hundred method, and we'll link to conversations that we've had with Carl and the show notes for this episode.
Speaker 2: Katie.
Speaker 1: But it's an underrated thing. I think most people that's not kind of the way their mind thinks about. We'll do that, but it sure sounds like based on your right like to identify that that the way Katie and her partner are thinking about the real estate investing future, that really could be right up their alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, kick us to the brake jewel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. Okay, we got another question specifically, we don't talk about this very often, but the bucket approach for retirement and how you amass the cash that you need. We'll get to questions, more questions, your listener questions right after this. All right, buddy, we are.
Speaker 3: Back from the break and it is now time for the Facebook Question of the Week and the scene they pull it up here. This is from Joe, who writes, I often read that when you retire, you should aim to hold a significant amount of cash for annual expenses between one and three years of expenses to minimize sequence of returns risk and avoid rating your retirement accounts in a possible market downturn. What I haven't seen explained is how to get these cash reserves. Is it something you should be building up across a few years before you retire, presumably by scaling back investments in favor of holding cash. Or are you supposed to make a significant sale of mutual funds ets from the accounts you're already able to tap right when you retire.
Speaker 2: Right out of the gates.
Speaker 3: I'll just say, Joe, don't wait until you retire, because if you do that, you haven't eliminated the sequence of returns resk. You've essentially what like, waited until it's retirement time, and then all of a sudden you're supposed to sell and move to cash. Well, what if the market's down, so I would say to gradually ramp it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're still creating a legitimate point in time where you're freaking out about where the market is and whether or not you're going to have the have to sell right when stocks are down, which is what you want to avoid ultimately retirement, And that is what there's a two bucket there's a three bucket system that different people have discussed. Christine Benz from morning Star has written specifically a lot about the bucket approach to funding retirement, and it's worth looking into because it at least kind of helps you understand how best to allocate certain your money in terms of these like, well, there's cash, there's medium termament that there's long term. You still want to have a good bit of money allocated towards stocks in order to fund the rest of your retirement. You want to go all conservative all at once. But Joe is specifically asking about that first bucket, the cash approach, and I think you're right, man. I think increasing cash exposure the closer you get to retirement it matters.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: You want to have that money, and it depends on your risk tolerance. It depends on your overall financial situation, Like how many years worth of expenses do you want to have on hand in cash, Just like when it comes to an emergency fund, three months is kind of right, the bare bones of expenses you want to have. Some people say I want nine to twelve months. That's what makes me feel secure. So you want to think about what that looks like you and what's going to make retirement not feel like this frightening reality that you've just entered, but you do want to be building up that cash bucket years potentially in all likelihood before you get there, instead of feeling like you have to make a buy or sell decision kind of bright when you hit that point.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, the profession is out there will also.
Speaker 3: Say that it doesn't have to be fully in cash, because what essentially you want is that you want to diversify away from away from stocks, away from securities, so that if the market tanks, you've got something else to draw on, right, And so bonds, t bills, those are that's the other option. Personally, I mean, I'm not retired. I haven't gotten to the point to where, you know, I'm having to deal with the emotions of what this feels like. But I love the idea of staying very aggressive, staying very aggressive with securities, staying invested in stocks, not having bonds or any T bills or anything like that, and only having the cash on hand, maybe having a slightly larger cash cushion to be able to offset any potential downturns and to allow for the market to be able to rebound to at most maybe three years before you see the market recover. But what you're giving up there is the comfort of having something that's less aggressively because on one end you got very aggressively invested. On the other hand, you have something that's completely cash, that's very liquid, very accessible, and then you've got the in between, and there's something about the two buckets, like all stocks and then all cash. I like the simplicity of that. We'll see if and when or when I get to retirement, if that's something that I'm comfortable with, I might change my tune.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. Personally, I like that.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things that's worth maybe doing is going through an exercise with the amount of money that you have on hand. You can even use an AI model to kind of help you help you look at this. But if you were to say, live through the Great Recession of two thousand and nine, what would happen to your portfolio if you were one hundred percent stocks in two years worth of cash on hand, and how would you feel about that? How would you feel about a fifty three percent decline that's probably roughly what you would have experienced four years right where the market would not have gotten back to two two thousand and seven levels until I don't know, twenty fourteen. So I think it's worth running through those experiments to see, okay, based on if I were to go through that exact same scenario, because it's really easy to look at the last six years and say or the last fifteen kind of and say, well, we had that you know, one or two down years, but for the most part, it's been up into the right. Well, what if we do go through some sort of extended downturn, how would you feel selling stocks when they're down thirty forty percent? And if that would be untenable and you would quickly run out of money because you did encounter that sequence of returns risk and you ate into a lot of that capital that has long term consequences. So you have to understand, like what you're comfortable with and Matt's level of comfort with more risk on it might not be where you're at. And that's where something else to Matt. And actually I'm going to talk about this with Gene Chatsky soon on the show. She talks about a portion of the money that you have allocated for retirement keeping a big a bunch of it in stocks, taking Social Security obviously, but then annuititizing a portion of it. And she talks about how the paying a little bit more money and limiting your upside will create this steady paycheck that allows you to continue spending no matter what, and it allows you to kind of stay risk on with that big stock section of your assets. And I think there's some wisdom there too. It's not for everyone, but I do think it's for some people.
Speaker 2: Totally. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we've touched on this last Friday, the pensonification of four ks, and.
Speaker 2: But oh, I wanted to also say.
Speaker 3: It comes down to so I as I was thinking about myself and imagining what I would feel like, I realized that I was I'm also picturing myself the age I am, which is Joel. I still feel like a young buck and I know you do too, but your ability to generate income if you need to, right, So I think about Okay, let's Joel, Joe, let's say the iHeart. They're tired of us, they're tired of the banter. They don't like us helping folks out when it comes to personal finances, and they want to cut us free. We can't work out a deal Okay, I don't know. We're you and I were kind of coast fire. We're kind of we're kind of fully fire to a certain extent. Depending on what our future expenses are going to look like, right like, there are changes we can make and modifications to where we can just be like, all right, we're done. But let's say the market tanks and we're like, oh, shoot, I wasn't counting on that.
Speaker 2: I don't have my.
Speaker 3: Three years of cash on hand even that. Well, my ability to get back out into the market and find a way to generate income in order to offset some of those sequence of returns risk, that's really important too. And you can't overly rely on that, because right like, you're fully relying on your human capital and your ability to get out their work. But that's another consideration. And for someone like Joe who maybe is a little bit younger like us and still has ten twenty year maybe more of decades two three decades worth of his career left, gosh, you know, you can start to move it in that direction of moving towards cash, or you could also continue to stay aggressively invested and say, oh, right, sure do I even if I'm not making the optimal top dollar amount. Do I still have a way to cover some of the basic expenses? And I think a lot of folks would say, oh yeah, I think I could. I think I could do that. That actually sounds desirable as opposed to flipping the switch and going all in on retirement, right retirement maxing, We're not going to do that. Instead, let's like, let's ease into it.
Speaker 1: Right's the one I think the operation is key inhering in this question is like, as I'm getting closer to retirement, and the truth is, your value in the marketplace is different, looks different when you're sixty five or than it does when you're forty, and your confidence level that you can go out there and earn the income you used to if you were to say, lose your job, or just the kind of level of gumption you have to go out there and slay like you used to. Like it just goes it just goes down, I think later on in life for a lot of people. And so that's why you have to kind of at least plan and incorporate worst case scenarios or tough scenarios into the way that you plan, because yeah, you're not guaranteed to find the job that pays as much as you had if you were to lose one in your late fifties early sixties. And so there is a certain amount of kind of flexibility you have to have, I think in your approach to bucket planning and how you think about retirement and the flexibility you want versus the returns you want to see. But so I think there is no like one simple easy answer, but these are all things worth considering as you're making your own plan.
Speaker 3: Totally agree, all right, dude, should we wrap this up and get to the beer that you and I enjoyed during this episode. This is a lakeside coolsh by Lake of the Woods Brewing Company. And again this was a beer that was sent to us by David S in Keswick, Ontario. David, are you trying to get us canceled? Because Joel, what we didn't talk about was last week because the name of the beer was borderline profane. We never said it, but I stupidly perhaps included the name of the beer in the show notes because I just didn't That's just what I always do. Should have done a with two dollars signs, Matt, Well, I know that now or like the two asterisks, but that episode got flagged. We had the E next to it, like straight out of Compton, you know, so, and that limits our reach and so we're absolutely I don't know. We can have fun conversation, colorful conversations more, we're not rolling, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize our ability to help people. David, did Apple ever or take that off the episode?
Speaker 2: Or no, I don't. I didn't check. We should probably care more.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's fine, maybe because I changed it because once I saw that that morning, I changed it immediately to I took off the S S and left the A.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. Yeah, we're trying to anyway create an explicit podcast mostly mass Mom will be disappointed, and we don't want to do that to hert.
Speaker 3: We need all the help we can get. We need all the viewers, all the listeners. So what do you think about this beer?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 1: I man, it was light. We had like a juicy quality to it that I wasn't expecting. It was crisp, but it also had this kind of lemone juiciness underbelly, so very wet. Yeah, I was kind of not expecting that from a coolsh This had more flavor than I was anticipating.
Speaker 3: I I loved it, very delicious. They had they got like a little like outboard boat motor on the on the cannart. That's what that is, by the way, if you didn't recognize that. But this is totally kind of beer that you would enjoy lakeside, sitting on the dock out cruising with your friends, even though I haven't done that in like fifteen years. Do you ever do y'all ever go out on the boat, like rent a boat or have friends?
Speaker 2: I have a boat.
Speaker 1: No, I did when I was a kid, and I remember having the best time. My wife's fund similarly had the best memories from that. But it's it's.
Speaker 3: Just not tafe. Yeah, it's not part of all life either. I take it back that we went out with some friends end of the school year, like two years ago or something like that. But it's not, Yes, it's not. We're not like a boat family, so extended family. They are a boat family.
Speaker 1: But because you're trying not to be poor, that's why, because I want sitting boats makes you want to get fully retired before I start just pure fully hemorrhaging money, which is what happens.
Speaker 3: When you get a boat and then have to pay for the slip, and then your entire day is dedicated to taking care of the book. Actually, if anyone's got any good boat stories out there, once you send them away at how to Money Pod at gmail dot com. That's also how you can send us your voice memo if you want us to answer your question here on the show, also here on YouTube for all the viewers out there as well, head over to the how to Money Pod channel at YouTube or slowly but surely getting this thing dialed in. Even though we kind of had a rough start for this one, I would say, Joel, but we'd love it if you joined us over there.
Speaker 2: And is that it?
Speaker 1: That's it, man a Right until next time? Best friends out.
Speaker 2: Best friends out? Oh shoot the music? Where is it? Here we go?
Speaker 1: We're so good at this.
Speaker 3: I was just bragging about how like we've gotten better, and then I just totally botch it there at.
Speaker 1: The end of you can't be perfect, can't be perfect?
Speaker 2: All right, Later