Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. Welcome back to another special edition of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. Here on the iHeart Video app and the WNBAS and my finals are underway and I'm super excited to be here or break it all down with my friend who is a member of us. We call it the Hougi Brunch Crew, but my good friend. He is a WNBA reporter at the local w and producer of the ninety four fifty Women's basketball podcast. Please welcome in Kevin lewis akak dot because that's how that's what we call him, and he's a friend to the show. Now, So k do I welcome into the show?
Speaker 2: Hey? What out?
Speaker 3: What it is? Was poppin? Listen? The first thing that I do want to say is I need to give you your flowers, Christina, because you you have been such a pioneer and trailblazer to this game and you deserve all the things that you have been given and all the things that you're going to be receiving in the future. We thank you and continue to push the envelope, continue to move mountains. We love you dearly in this space and we want you to continue to do that. So thank you so much, but thank you for having me on listen.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you and thank you so much for those kind words. It means so much, and I appreciate the work that you do. Of course, as a friend, I'm proud of your growth from start to finish. To see how much you've grown over the last few years and your coverage and especially as a black man in this space. Just to approach from the intention behind your coverage, and for those of the people who are listening right now who may not know about you, kto, can you just tell them your journey into breaking into this space one and your journey with basketball.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so. Basketball has always been ingrained in me. I mean, let's face it, we're both New York kids, originally born and raised in the Bronx, New York. But I would consider myself more of a country boy. Now. I've been down in the country way longer than I have been in New York. However, I learned this game, surprisingly not from the men's side. I learned it from the women's side. So I value it much more because I do believe that the women's game is the purest form of the game itself. And I have pioneers like Don Staley shout out to the Charlotte Sting that raised me up and taught me how to be a point guard, Tammy Reese who were on those Virginia teams, Cheryl Swoops who was on that Texas Tech team, and other great pioneers like t Spoon who was obviously a member of the New York Liberty and a live tech legend, and Cheryl Miller, who is everybody is considered one of the greatest basketball players of all time. So I learned this game from the women's side, and it taught me how to have a high IQ. It taught me how to be, you know, very very mindful of the space that we're in. And a good story to add on to that is I was also raised by a single mother, a grandmother, a grandfather, and all aunties in all in the majority women cousins, and they taught me the value of how to be respectful not only just to you know, people in general, but how to be respectful to black women and understand that sometimes we look in spaces and black women are the most disrespected. Black women are the least to put attention to. So that's how my mindfulness and that's how my respect for black women in particular came about. And I do value and appreciate you all in the way that you are care yourself and how you gotta work ten times harder to get half of what you received. So that's what I was brought up on, and that's how my journey as a basketball player came about. And I'm here to this day four years ago. I wasn't necessarily covering on the media side. I was more of a consultant. I did a lot of training, training both the boys and the girls side on the middle school to high school level, and it led me to being in that passion and covering the WNBA. And here I am today, and I have part of you to think as well. If I haven't, if I didn't meet you in that clubhouse room that we had way back in the day.
Speaker 1: So said, I was just about to say, Kaita and I met on a clubhouse during the pandemic and around that time, you know, it was crazy for everybody, but clubhouse was a thing and there was no like Twitter, spaces or any other like audio centered apps rather where you could have these live conversations. And so I'd take about myself to build a community of women's basketball media and fans and athletes and agents and everything. Long story short, I would host these weekly conversations called Women's Basketball Weekly on Clubhouse, and it just afforded me the opportunity to meet so many new people and voices in the space. And now I have some lifelong friends from that experience. But also now I have this podcast here on I Alredio. But I'm so grateful that you know, we met, and just excited for your journey. And you mentioned all of the legends that came before us, and I think that you know, especially when we're in this space, you have to acknowledge those that came before us, to acknowledge how far we've come and how much further we need to go. All right, I want to get into the w NBA Playoffs k dot because that is why we are here. And so right now, the New York Liberty holds the Aces to zero and the best of five series, and they meet tonight for Game three in Las Vegas and potentially a game f in Vegas. How have you assessed, you know, these first couple games in this series, and just what are your overall thoughts on this Vegas Liberty series in the semi finals.
Speaker 3: Well, first and foremost, the first thing that I want to talk about regarding this series is the growth of the New York Liberty from last year to this year. And not just from a team and camaraderie standpoint, Let's talk about from an organization standpoint. Jonathan cob did an amazing job in acquiring a catalysts of this team, Leoni Phoebish and coos. Sandy Brondello has done an amazing job making the right adjustment in bringing Leaoni Phoebish in not only from a standpoint of in the regular season bringing her off the bench first, but knowing and understanding her abilities and her versatility and moving her into the starting lineup and a potential six Player of the Year candidate. She has done an amazing job. Leoni Phoebish has in just doing her she understands her role and overall for the New York Liberty, the maturity you see it firsthand and against this juggernaut in this Las Vegas Aces team, I know they're the four seed this year, we've seen a little bit of a regression from a standpoint of we haven't seen the effort and coach Becky Hammond had talked about that throughout the season, even after the Olympic break, and we do have to be mindful that this is an Olympic break year, So of course there's going to be different aspects of how we assess the Las Vegas Aces this year. And on top of that, they're on a mission two three P and that is one of the hardest things to do. We haven't seen a three P since the Houston comments of the initial part of this WNBA league. So yes, this overall standpoint of the New York Liberty just understanding and how to just finished games, in their composure, in the way they've been resilient even when the Las Vegas Aces have pushed them to the brink and been on runs. The third quarter in these in this series in particular, has been the telltale story. If we go to last year, we might not see the composure or the resilience of the New York Liberty and you might see more of that dog aspect than the Las Vegas Aces and actually taking control of the game and finishing the game off. This year is a different story. You see mature and more developed Sabrina you Nescue, a healthy Sabrina you Nescue, and to your credit, had definitely advocated for her to be most improved as well.
Speaker 4: Which what did you say that?
Speaker 3: Yes, I will repeat it. You were one of the first, if not the first, to say that, hey, let's consider Sabrina you Nescue as most improved, like she has shown it, and it's been proven. You've seen in those third quarters, even when they may have led the game and turnovers in the third quarter, which I think they have, You've seen a Sabrina you Nesku come in the third quarter and actually just take over games. She did it in Game two in the fourth quarter, scoring eleven points in the fourth quarter, and I think the last seven that the Liberty indeed needed, because the Aces did pull within one and actually toided the game at eighty one on a fast break layup by Asia Wilson, if I'm not mistaken, So for Sabrina you Nescu to come in and be that closer that everyone expected her to be when she was drafted, right, she has come in, she has matured herself. She is now healthy, and now you see that Brianna Stewart doesn't have to do everything right Compared to last year. We've seen john quol Jones mature and she's healthy as well, because a lot of people did not realize that Yanpo Jones had a foot injury that she was recovering from. And it's just been a great overall effort and for the New York Liberty to mature in the way that they have, it's been a really good sight to see. But again, the Las Vegas Aces, we know that they've been here before, not necessarily been down oh two, but they've been to where their backs are against the wall. And obviously Game three is going to be pivotal for them. Even though we know that they said that Game two was pivotal, Game three is incredibly pivotal and I just can't wait to kind of see what goes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to your point, you know, last year, this New York Liberty team was new, the group was new, and we knew it would take more than one season for all of this talent to finally gel and come together. And you know what we're seeing this season is the continuity part of it, right, Like chemistry is there, they're playing more fluid, the maturation of Sabrina Nescu. She's a three level scorer, but also last season when I talked to her at training camp, she emphasized the importance of working on her lateral defense, get into her spots quicker. We've seen her become a better on ball defender, where when you insert a player like Leoni Fievich into the lineup, sa Brinda is no longer more of a liability on the perimeter as she was last year when you had that lineup with Courtney Vanderslute, and myself and other media members or analyst would say, you know, that was the kind of a kryptonite to the liberty was their perimeter defense. And to your point, you added that Sandy Brundelo has done a great job in making those adjustments, realizing that it's better for a player like Courtney Vanderslute to come off the bench in just the different rotations that she's been able to work through this postseason to just kind of figure it out. I think that one thing outside of New York's length and depth that makes them dangerous is just their ability to play interchangeably, but also their ability to win a variety of ways, finding ways to win, finding ways to crawl back if it's close. Having a mature leader in Sabrino, Florida to do a challenge or encourage her coach to do a challenge on the out of bounds playoff was crucial to them getting that, you know, couple of final possessions to be able to you know, steal a win at home and win the first two at home. So it's a team that's number one for a reason, a team that's starting to click on all cylinders. But you know, as you mentioned, you don't count Vegas out. This is the defending champions. I don't think that they don't go down without a fight. You know, these next two at home potentially will be very important when we talk about, you know, their legacy. But no team in the history of the WNBA has crawled back down two games in the postseason. And so I think that if Asia Wilson can do that, we're putting her in the goat conversation now, yes, because because no team has ever been able to do that yet alone against a number one team. But yeah, I think that you know, the Las Vegas aces last and Game two. Holly Row alluded to Zaki Young having some sort of injury. Kia Stokes was also suffering from a concussion after she went down really hard in the game. So looking at these next two games, I mean, obviously the health of the Las Vegas acies is going to be a priority. But when I'm looking at it is does Becky Hammond trust in her bench? You have a player at megastofson who is on the bench right now. She has in length, she can defend, she can shoot the three. Will we see her get more minutes in these next couple of games where Becky needs to trust her players more. But before we talk about that, I want to get more into a statement she said postgame. Take a listen.
Speaker 5: Well, quite frankly, we haven't had the edge. Well, you know, we found it the last month. I feel like we've gained a lot of ground, but the feeld was different from the jump. And this is why three beating is are. Let's be real, like the whole league has been pissed off for the last eight months, and my players are in commercials and this and that and being.
Speaker 2: Freaking celebrities, and you get distracted. That's why it's hard, because human nature is distracting. And conversely, you know, you think about the Spurs. I do all you know the Spurs with the Miami Heat. They lose a absolute heartbreaker in Miami off a basic thing, offensive rebound, kick out three.
Speaker 5: They should have walked away with the title that year. They lost it that year. The next year they came back. They came back with so much drive, so much discipline, so much focus, that there was no way somebody would beating them in twenty fourteen. I mean that ball was popping, but they took a huge loss. Liberty took a huge loss last year, and I liken it to that a little bit where they had it, they felt like they had it and we walked away with it. I did think we were the better team, but we were dealt really freaking tough hand last year in the finals, losing Chelsea and Kia. So I'm sure they feel like something was on a little bit at the end of the day. In two years, we've won here one time, game four. Other than that, they've kicked our ass.
Speaker 1: She kind of is saying that her players aren't focused in the postseason. I think that it's a little while for a coach to say that, you know, down two games and the semi finals. Maybe that's something that a conversation I could have been had not in the public eye. I don't think the Las Vegas isn't focused as a team.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: You know they've dealt with a lot of adversity this season, not having Chelsea Gray in the first half the season. The burden is so heavy for a player like Asia Wilson, who has so much responsibility on the offensive end and the defensive end. Chelsea Plumb, there was clips around social media Becky Hammond kind of giving it to her on the bench. But you know, this is a team with multiple Olympians. I believe there's six Olympians on that team right now. This is a very mature team, a team that has players who know how to win. I think it's just more about trusting their game and trust each other. But what was your thoughts about, you know, those comments from Becky Hammon in the post game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I one hundred percent agree with you, Christina, because at the end of the day, they're all professionals and that's the job, right. A lot of it is not necessarily just to play basketball, and I know that that's the focus, right The focus is basketball, and they are in those positions because of basketball, but at the same time, they are again professionals, and I believe that they can have that control and have the balance to do the commercials, they can playball, and I know that that is just something for coach Becky Hammond to kind of wake her team up, and we'll see if they respond to that. Sometimes there's that positive reinforcements and then sometimes there's those particular reinforcements that will help, you know, at the snap of a finger lock in and maybe that was the strategy that coach Becky Hammond was trying to possess in her team, and we'll see if that particular strategy, you know, coming to fruition in Game three, For me, I think that it's almost like, h do you really want this particular SoundBite to be out in the in the atmosphere or do you want, you know, you chewing out Kelsey Plumb to be out in it. We're in the social media age, right, is very very different, So everything is under a microscope and not only you know, the media is looking at it, you have the entire world looking at it now, so everybody has an opinion, you know, So my reaction to to what you know, what was said was, I was, you know, a little bit surprised. But when you have coaches, you know, like coach Becky Hammond doing that, you you look at it in other leagues, right, you look at it from a coach Popovich standpoint. She comes from that tree. Coach Popovich has done that before. And you know, you see it in the Steve Kerr, you see you see it in a Phil Jackson back when he was coaching the Bulls and the Lakers. So h you're seeing it in the Joe Tory when he was managing the Yankees, things of that nature. So you know, from that standpoint, I think that it could have been a little more private, if you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in this series, what do you think will be the X factor on both sides?
Speaker 3: So to start off with the liberty, the bench has to be the factor. It has to be you know, I call the Las Vegas care for the Funky four plus one more and that's a o to hip hop, you know, you know me? So I think that one more is always going to be either a Kia Stokes or an Alisha Clark. Right, So with Alisia Clark having the game, that she had in Game two. She was phenomenal. I know she got in foul trouble in Game one, but you have Megan Gustuson even put Kate martin In into the lineup. You've seen that in trust that they can actually give you solid minutes to help spell some of those runs that the Liberty gone. And on the Liberty side, it definitely has to be Benigelani. Benigelani has been incredible in this series from a defensive standpoint, from a versatility standpoint, bringing the ball up, calling some of the sets. But you want to see more of Benige Lane Hamilton because she, to me, has always been the catalyst of this core that we see in the New York Liberty and Courtney Vanderslow has been so great off the bench. I know that from a lineup standpoint, it's kind of difficult putting in your core players in the fourth quarter, and we saw that in Game two where we didn't see Benige Lane Hamilton in those clutch moments, not necessarily the last five minutes, but maybe the last two minutes of the game. But benigelne Hampmilton to me, has always been the X factor of this New York Liberty team. And I think that she will continue to be the X factor. She's done an incredible job on guarding ninety four feet on Chelsea Gray, so she's definitely the X factor to me. We know that Leoni Phoebish has been incredible, she has been incredible, but I think it's Benigelane Hamilton that's going to add her mix into it and we may see, we may or may not see, you know, a victory in Game three. So that's that's who on both sides. I think my X factors are.
Speaker 1: I think it's so crazy that you bring up a Naju Lady Hamilton because we talked so much about Asia Wilson's impact for the Aces. But you know, when you really think about it, if you cut the snake at the head, which is Chelsea Gray the point god and disrupt the flow of the game, the pace of the game because Chelsea Gray is responsible for controlling that for the Aces, absolutely put Benigu Laney Hamilton on her for ninety four feet that instantly, you know, puts the game at an advantage point for the Liberty. And so I agree, I think that you know, Benajulane and Hamilton shes to just continue to do what she does on both sides of the floor. I mean, obviously the Liberty and Sandy Kina alluded to this and some of the practices and media availability abilities. How much Benigelane Hamilton has had to adjust her game situation to situation for this team. But they rely on her a lot for defense, but she can definitely get a bucket if needed, so absolutely so. So I think that you know, it's twofold, and you know, I'm ready to see that breakout game on that end. But I also think that, you know, a lot could be said about John cwel Jones and her composure employees throughout this series. You know, the Liberty are playing so well when they play through her, when she gets her double double. She made a joke about it in the last post game press conference about not really hitting that stride the last game, but just her being a leader on the floor. We know how she can play when she's in her MVP. And I think that, you know, this series probably means a lot to her because when she was a part of the Connecticut Sun, you know, they lost to the Aces, and then she came back joined the Liberty they lose to the Aces again. So this series means something to her, and so I'm ready to see, you know, JJ also have a breakout game. Stuie's gonna be Stewie and listen, playoff sab is activated, So she's putting the whole WNBA on notice, and she just has to just continue to play with that fire and that edge. They have to come out punching. You already said those third quarters compared to this year and last year has been such a huge growth for this New York Liberty team. They got to play all forty minutes with their foot on the gas, no breaks. You know, Stuie was leading around this time last year and minutes for the Liberty. But because as you mentioned, Jonathan Cole went out and you know, did some additions by subtractions, adding Leoni Feebach, adding another overseas player in Kennedy Burke. Yes, KT like has been great for this team. Defensively, this is a team that did just what Jonathan Cole intended to do, was to get better by adding length, size and versatility. I even like when Jalen Sharads sometimes is in and she kind of shakes things up for the Liberty as well.
Speaker 4: And so I'm.
Speaker 1: Excited to see this series go to distance. Honestly, I don't think that the Aces are gonna let up easy.
Speaker 4: But the New York Liberty.
Speaker 1: Are on the great run right now, and you know it'll be hard for any team to disrupt that. All right, Moving right along this series between the Minnesota Lynx and Connecticut Sun's tied one to one and the best of five series, this series is going back to Connecticut right now. What have you seen in this series between the Links and the Sun? What stands out to you?
Speaker 3: Defense? Defense? Defense? Did I mention defense?
Speaker 4: Listen?
Speaker 3: This particular series has been so great from a defensive standpoint, and for all of my defense lovers out there, I know this series is the series for you. I know that from an offensive standpoint, the Connecticut Sons sometimes can get stagnant because there's not necessarily, you know, that go to player. But Marina Maybury has come in with that midseason trade and she has proven that they needed the shot creator in which they brought her in for, you know, the GM, Darius Sailor. He's been such an incredible GM in bringing that dynamic in. But more importantly, I think that from you know, Connecticut standpoint, they do have an offensive identity in the fourth quarter. Now you know that there were some times in the fourth quarters Connecticut will be up and then their offense would get so stagnant. They didn't have someone that can just go and get a bucket for you. Now they have that person in Marina Maybury. And that was the catalyst in Game one in which they were up one and it was about like four or three seconds left in the shot clock. Melissa Thomas gives her the little handoff and she hits the shot to go up four, and that's really what did it for the Connecticut Son to win Game one and steal home court advantage. But to go on to Minnesota side. They've been a defensive juggernaut all season long, right, and I think this particular matchup is just a little bit tougher for them because they can match defense for defense and sometimes when you go one on one and not have the ballpop like the Minnesota Link have been doing all season long, that's what brings them back to morality a little bit, because they have been superhuman, you know, all throughout the season. And the biggest thing about the Minnesota Link, says making sure that the ball movement continues to be the ball movement. Do not play one on one basketball, because that's what Connecticut forces you to do. They force you to play one on one basketball, and that sometimes gets you out of your rhythm. It gets you out of the continuity of what has brought you that second seed throughout the regular season. So the biggest thing that sticks out to me in this particular series is Dowanna Bonner. She hasn't had the best from a numbers standpoint, from an efficiency standpoint, but she's doing a lot of things on the defensive end, being a defensive anchor on the back end if Alissa Thomas has to switch the communication that she has the willingness to guard in the feast of Collier, who was second to Asia Wilson in MVP and the defensive Player of the Year. She's been doing such a great job that the Connecticut Sun has been in each game that we've seen. I know they lost by seven in Game two, but again they've been in these games. And the growth of Veronica Burton and that acquisition of Veronica Burton after being waived from the Dallas Wings, she has been such a great part of this team. With Ty Harris still trying to get back from the ankle injury. So I think overall in perspective, and I will be remiss if I didn't talk about Maysha Hans Allen right Haines Allen's has been a great asset to the Minnesota Links as well. But overall, this is just a flat out defensive game and I think it's almost like the first to seventy will win the game pretty much. So what do you think.
Speaker 1: I think that this is a series that can go either way, And as you said, these are two really really good defensive teams and we know how important defense is in this game of basketball. For me, I thoroughly enjoy the coaching master classes that's didn't put on between Stephanie White and Cheryl Reeve, who's had a career of over thirty years in the game. That is the thing that excites me the most when I'm watching the atos, when I'm watching the adjustments being made, because it's anyone's game truly, and I just feel like it's a master class between the coaches just as much is the you know, the matchup between the players in this series. Ejian A Carrington has been so great on both sides of the ball in this series, and obviously, you know, when we talk about Connecticut, their offense is Yes, Marina Maybury has been a great addition, but we know how much Lisa Thomas is the engine of this team, how much she makes her teammates better, how she is defensively, and so I just think that it's just gonna come down to who wanted more. But I'm curious before you move on to the next thing, who do you have coming out of this series?
Speaker 4: And the best of five between the Sun and the Links.
Speaker 3: Ooh, this is really really a tough one, But I think I have the Sun coming out of this series. I think that because their window is literally closing. I think they're literally just going out with a bang, and they're saying, listen, win, lose a draw, We're gonna win. So I have this feeling that because this acquisition of Marina Maybury has done wonders for them, they're going to figure out and find a way to actually close this out in Connecticut. So it's very, very tough to say that, but they have played in both of these games. These games were close. I know that Minnesota went up as much as I think it was as much as thirteen points in Game two, but they could never just blow the doors open. So I think that Connecticut will come out out of the series surprisingly. I know this will be an upset, but it won't be an upset to the Connecticut son unlessa. Thomas alluded in the press conference, we've been here before, We've heard all of it. We don't care. So we're just going to continue to play Connecticut Sun basketball. And they have been doing that. And that's you to the credit of coach Stephanie White, the leader in Alyssa Thomas and Dewanna Bond and and the rest of the Connecticut sign on team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's great and it's so funny because when you look at these two teams, I think it just puts in perspective maybe how other teams will start to look at the trade deadline in the future, because these are two teams who required pivotal pieces to be able to make it this far the postseason. When you talk about Connecticut adding Marina Mayby or you talk about the Links adding on Mayisha, Heinz Allen, gms have to be looking at this like, Okay, we're gonna take this more seriously moving forward and acquiring the players that you need to make your roster successful and to set up your franchise for success. All right, Kate, We're gonna take a quick little break on in case you missed it with Christina Williams and more of the conversation when we get back. Kata, I'm thoroughly enjoying you know this hoops talk is always great in the guitar pops, But I want to get into the latest headlines in this WNBA space. Tanisha Wright is the latest head coach to get an acts.
Speaker 4: From the team.
Speaker 1: Earlier this week, the Atlanta Dream announced that they've parted ways with head coach Tanisha Wright. The Atlanta Dream recently clinched the eighth spot in the WNBA playoffs, was knocked out in the first round by.
Speaker 4: The New York Liberty.
Speaker 1: Right release, So, but we have four head coaching jobs available right now in the Golden State Valkyries and the Expansion Draft next year, the Atlanta Dream, the La Sparks, and now the Chicago Scott What do you make of this latest firing of Tanisha Wright and who would you like to see in a head coaching position in.
Speaker 3: Five I know this is the toughest thing to say, You know, regarding Tannisha Wright, you know, for her to have the years that she had in Atlanta and the results that came behind it, Sometimes we have to just put into perspective what the organization is expecting. But organizations love to win and they love to be in championship contention every year. And when we're looking at it from the WNBA standpoint, with it being twelve franchises and soon to be fifteen franchises, the weight of the world is always on those franchises. Whether you're a big market or a small market, it's just what it is. And for the years that the Atlanta Dream had with the roster that they've had, I know that there have been injuries. I know that there had been people in and out out of the lineups because of that. But the expectation this year, in particular with the acquisite of a Jordan Canada, with the acquisition of a legend in Tina Charles, the expectations were extremely high. They were expected to be between top four, top five, especially with.
Speaker 4: Top four top five to who the organization or I.
Speaker 3: Think, I think from an organization, I think from an organization standpoint, yeah, reality maybe reality maybe playoffs for sure, right, reality, rightfully, so right. But I think from an organizational standpoint, I think they were, like, listen, I really believe they said, man, we can compete with a Seattle, we can compete with the New York, we can compete with a Connecticut and even in Minnesota. But it didn't happen. So for that and for how you know, contrary to public opinion and coach writes philosophies and the way that she's answered certain questions and press conferences, I think it was almost like that was the straw that broke the camel's back, honestly, and they made a tough decision because, mind you, we both reported this that it was reported that Atlanta had Tanisha Right in mind the next three years from this particular season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was the one who broke the news when team should Right left the Aces bench and you know, was acquired by the Atlanta Dream. Obviously, I'm all for players, former players getting opportunities at head coaching positions, and I appreciate the Dream giving her room to learn and grow as a coach. They didn't just fire her after one season, like you know, some other organizations may have done.
Speaker 4: Two other former players but.
Speaker 1: They gave her room to grow and this season, for what is worth, it was very hard for the Dream right you had Jordan Canada, Aeriel Power, Cheyenne Parker, Ryan Howard, your star player, dealing with injuries and having to overcome that. And you know they clinched the eighth seed by a little here on their head. But I just think the expectations were super high when you look at the other talents around the league.
Speaker 4: To think that they would finished top five, I think it's a little crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, these GM's got to be a little realistic. Yeah, And you know, as a GM, how can you use your assets that you have to improve and get better halfway through the season. So it's interesting to see them part ways with Tanisa right going back to the first question, who would you like to see get an opportunity with four head coaching positions available now in the.
Speaker 3: W Well, with that being said, I know right now there's only one active black women head coach and Noel Quinn in the Seattle Storm. I'm honestly not opposed to a recycle in coaching, especially with the black women head coaches so out. I don't mind seeing Tanisha Wright getting another chance. I don't mind seeing Teresa Weatherspoon getting another chance. And I think when you compare coaches to players, you have to have that right mold, the right camaraderie, as we've always said, the synergy, if you will, because it's very important to have representation. And me personally, I do think these coaches are good coaches. Sometimes you have to fit personnel with coaching personality. So I don't mind seeing coach Teresa Weatherspoon getting another chance in LA in Golden State. I'm in Atlanta. I also like the idea of assistant coaches, you know, making their way up to first chair. Tala Marsh has always been a big.
Speaker 1: Time I've been saying Time Marsh, yeah, get a head coaching job. I mean when we talk about how the head coaching hired has worked in the last time years in the w it seems like most teams have outsourced to the NBA's assistant coaches to bring in as head coaches. And no disrespect, why don't you look in to the you know circle that you have already. Ty Marsh is someone who has experienced from the NBA work with the two time defending champions in the Las Vegas Aces I think that you look at who's on that bench and Natalie Natalie as well, I think that it would be a homecoming if she coached the Sparks because she has the UCLA ties.
Speaker 4: Ty Marsh.
Speaker 1: I would love to see him get an opportunity because when you look at the development of the Aces players, and absolutely we talk about why they've won championships, it's a lot to do with the development coaches. How he's been able to you know, improve a player like Jackie Young, who you know, just bringing out the best in her. I feel like he should get some looks if he's not already getting looks. And I would like to see Kurt Miller back in the fold. I think that the w is better when you have a coach like Kurt Miller. Maybe Ebanie Hoffman. We talked about Black, I mean, Rebecca Brunton if she wants to leave Minnesota of a look at you know, links Chewy and the amount of coaches who've come from her tree has been you know, pretty good as well. James Wade came from her came from her tree, who's now in the NBA. But I would like to see them look from within when it comes to the hiring process and maybe some former players getting an opportunity in briand January.
Speaker 3: Who's Connecticut for sure? Brand January, Rebecca Brunson. It's it's so many that comes from different coaching trees that that should get an opportunity. And I have one hundred percent agree with you on Brian January. She has been such a great addition to the Connecticut Sun organization and a lot of people don't realize like she's done a great job with Veronica Burton and her growth. The same with with Ty Harris in her growth. She was also in my opinion, the most improved candidate. But of course with DJ Carrington on the same team, you know, those votes are gonna gonna split up some. But but yes, I one hundred percent agree with you on all of those names. You know, for me, and I'm gonna get into my little fandom here. I would love to see Taler Marsh in Atlanta because, like like you said, with yeah, with his and with his development, especially with with Asia and especially with Jackie. You know, imagine Backcourt and Alisha Gray and Ryan Howard. Not to say that they don't need development because they are stars within themselves, but everybody is you know, everybody can develop something. Asia has already said that she wants to develop even more even after the unanimous MVP season. So I think that you know, all of those names that you mentioned, even Natalie on Nicasse, she she would be, you know, a great addition to the to the Sparks, or even the Valkyries if they if they were to you know, consider that. But you know, all of these coaches assistant to you know, recycled head coaches, they all will be great for any of these franchises in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, these general managers have a lot to think of in the off season. I think a lot of pressures on the Chicago Skuy, especially after you know, they fired Hall of Famer in first year head coach Teresa Weatherspoon, because they already have a bad stain on the franchise in terms of how they've handled star players within the organization and you know, coaches, So they have a lot to make up for, especially when we look at the expansion Draft with trying to convince not only coaches to want to go and work with that organization, but free.
Speaker 4: Agents as well.
Speaker 1: All right, ka Dot, thank you so much for just joining me for this special edition of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams.
Speaker 4: Has been a pleasure to chat with you.
Speaker 3: Oh man, It's always a pleasure to chat with you. Thank you for having me on and again, continue to move those mountains, continue to be a trailblazer in this game. We really really appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Look, we're gonna take another quick break and then when we get back, it's time for the Things that I.
Speaker 4: Love this week.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to in Case you missed It with Christina Williams. And I just want to thank the homely KAO for coming through again.
Speaker 4: And it's time for my.
Speaker 1: Favorite part of the show, the Things that I Love this week, and so here it goes. So this week I was gifted bracelets by Little Words Projects, a cool product that is out there if you want to make, you know, cool bracelets for your friends or people you you know love. But that opportunity to be at Game two at Barclay Center, and we talked about Teresa Weatherspoon a little bit earlier, and she was at Game two in Brooklyn for the Liberty Aces and this was the first public appearance that we've all seen her at since the news of her firing, and I think that it just meant so much to see her in the building at Barclays sharing on for the New York Liberty. She's in their Ring of Honor, and she's a Hall of Famer, so it was just great to see her. And so I had some extra bracelets in my bag, and you know, on the bracelet it say it's game changer, and I was like saying to my friend, I really want to give Teaspoon one, because she had walked past me, like and it just the thought that came to mind, and I so happened to have an extra blank thank you card, and so I fout out this little card that I had, and I wrote a quick note to Tea Spoon and just told her thank you for being a game changer, because I'm a huge advocate for giving people their flowers while they are still alive, while they are still here and while they can still smell them. And I put one of those.
Speaker 4: Little game change of bracelets in.
Speaker 1: The bag, and an opportunity presented itself for me to give this braceleting card to Tea Spoon at halftime, and so I just thanked her for all that she's done for the game. And she really took that to heart, and you know, she helped me help by hand and was like, thank you. I'm gonna where there's everywhere that I go. And Colin Kaepernick was behind us, and that was really funny because I didn't realize Colin Kaepernick was behind us, and he was like building you know, it's just crazy, like the New York Liberty's celebrity rows crazy. I think at the game I was able to give Gail King a game change of bracelet, Robin Roberts a game change of bracelet. So many people you know, of different levels in their career and statuses, just to be able to thank them for all that they've done to impact the industry in a positive way. And so that is the thing that I love this week, just giving people their flowers and just thanking them for you know, their positive impact on the game. All Right, that's gonna do it for this special edition of In Case You missed It with Christina Williams. Please don't forget to rate, review and subscribe to the podcast. And next week we have lange A Johnson joining us and SUPERB, So make sure you subscribe so you don't miss out on all the actions that's gonna do it for it. In case you missed it with Christina Williams, You're on the iHeartRadio app. In case you missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.