Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, normally a podcast about everything you don't know about the very worst people in all of history, where I read a story about a historical monster or some sort of terrible event to a guest who's coming in cold this week. I'm sort of doing my best to not embarrass myself in front of the guest who knows a lot more about the subject than that A lot of it. Doctor, doctor ocurred, welcome back to the show. Thank you again for your time.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: It is kind of cool that we have several like PhDs on staff because James James Doubt also also a doctor, doctor Joe.
Speaker 2: And you know, I was declared a doctor by the state of New Jersey one time.
Speaker 1: My brother's a doctor that count there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't let doctorbe anything, which really sucks.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's an oncologist, so we're not even in the same like lettering system.
Speaker 2: But you know what, you don't have prescription abilities, do you don.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately political science does not have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have gotten a policy PhD if I could have prescribed stuff.
Speaker 1: Robert is not the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's always the time relevant. Yeah, it's kind of relevant down do you want to plug anything up front before we get back into the story.
Speaker 4: There's the Handbook on Authoritarianism in the Air World, Yes, out with Glimsbury Politics, open access, so people could just google and read us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds much better. One of the sources for this that I read, which was useful in some ways, is like the Oxford Handbook in the History of Terrorism, which is very again, very useful for certain things, and also like we're we're not going to get into this, but in nineteen forty six, uh, I think it was the Good which is like the militia associated with Bitar, which is like a right wing Zionist group that is today become like its descendant is Netanyahu's party, bomb the King David Hotel and kill a bunch of people, and the Oxford it's really fun when you like read what the British said about it's an active terror, when you read what like everyone at the time said about its an act of terrorism, and then you read the Oxford Encyclopedia of Terrorism, They're like, well, because the targets were primarily governmental, we can't call this an act of terrorism. I'm like, okay, but if it had been like Arab nationalists who bombed a hotel, it would be.
Speaker 4: Terrorism, right, yeah, right, academics, I can't even right. I'm a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Facts. We're going to talk about Vladimir Yebatinsky a lot more in these episodes. So, as we said last time, this is a guy who grows up in Odessa. Uh. He is from a fairly young age, really concerned with, like, you know, fighting back against these programs by establishing Jewish self defense groups. And after he's close for a period of time with Theodore Herzal, but he also has some like breakoffs with him and his issue with a lot. He does not get along with most Zionists in his day because he is really right wing. He does not like these labor unions, he does not like the socialist politics that a lot of these Zionists have. He's very against that sort of stuff. And after Herzel dies in nineteen oh four, Yebtenski becomes seen as the leader among right wing a leader among right wing Zionists. He's a very big feat. He goes by Zeev Yebatinski most of his life, but he's still known as Vladimir at this point in time, we'll talk about why that change happens. And you know, after Herzel dies, he's a political leader for a while, and then you know, the war starts and he has to take a job as a newspaper editor. And in nineteen fifteen he's reporting from North Africa and he tours a refugee camp in Egypt for Jewish deportees from Ottoman Palestine. And we'll talk about this later too. The Ottomans start deporting a lot of these European Jews from Palestine during the war and current entry in the International Encyclopedia of the First War World War by Ari Dubnov and Brian Horowitz quote soon thereafter, he reached the conclusion that the Ottoman Turks would lose the war in Palasin would fall into the hands of the Entan powers. It was in this context that he came up with the idea of encouraging Jews to volunteer for the British army and secure a future Palestine for the Jews. And this is unfortunately a really smart play for him. Tom right, he's a really smart guy and this works very well for him, Yeah, very much, unfortunately, And it is worth noting like he does kind of see where things are going, right, it's very accurate to say that the entent's going to take over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Zionism would not have really survived without British support.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. That's a big part of the story we're gonna be telling today. So despite the fact that he's gotten no personal military experience, he does not actually join this Jewish legion, right. Jebtinski grows close to a guy named Joseph Trumpeldoor, a Russian Zionist military veteran who had fought in the Russo Japanese War which had happened not that much earlier, and had been decorated by the Czar for his like valorine combat and stuff. And the two of them approach a general, a British general named Sir John Grenfell Maxwell, who is commanding British troops in Egypt, and they're like, hey, we want to take a lot of these guys who've been like brought to kicked out of Palestine and put in camps in Egypt are willing to fight for the British Empire against the Ottomans, Right, And Maxwell's at first like, I don't know if this is a good, like, you're not really soldiers. Is this really going to help things at all? This might just be more trouble than it's worth. But he also like, there's not enough manpower, you know, especially not in that theater. So he's not gonna like show he's not going to turn down the potential to have a few thousand more fighters on his hands necessarily either, right, all of these and he brings this idea up to some of the other British general officers, and they're all kind of reluctant. As much as they want these fighters, they also don't want to endorse the Zionist idea necessarily, And they also don't want to endorse an offensive on Palestine at the time, which is what you know, these these people are really pushing for, is to like, let us invade the place we just got kicked out of, and the British don't really want to do that at the moment. But Maxwell agrees to form a Jewish volunteer force that will fight alongside the British military and other parts of the Turkish front. So as this is all happening, World War One escalates a lot of sectarian hatred and anger that had been slowly building in Palestine for years. The Ottomans, who are paranoid about foreign spies and influence, issue a declaration immediately after the start of the war that subjects of hostile nations must leave the country. This caused immediate confusion. Some Jewish residents in Palestine were exempted because they'd start and I should say some Jewish residents who were had immigrated from Europe are exempted because if you had come to Palestine from Europe and you had become a naturalized citizen of the Ottoman Empire, which there was a way to do, then you didn't get deported, right, But if you hadn't bothered to do that, they would deport you because the Ottoman's argument was, well, that proves that you were not loyal, right, because you had an opportunity and you didn't take it. And part of why a lot of ashkinasm don't take the opportunity to become naturalized Automan subjects is, as I've noted, they don't want to integrate right, and this sometimes extends to failing to make legal arrangements, and a lot of these people are going to suffer because they don't want to do that. During the war years, Ahmed Pasha, the Ottoman military governor of the Levant, launched the first of two major deportations of Jews from Jaffa in December of nineteen fourteen. This is called Black Thursday, that's what it comes to be known, and this is the forced expulsion of about six thousand Russian born Jewish immigrants. A total of about two hundred and seventy seven Jews from Jaffa are exiled to Alexandria, where many of them are put in detainment camps. That are you know these You should assume these are as nice as any enemy subject detainment camps ever are in a war, especially World War One, when people don't really have good medicine. Now, as I noted in Episode one, foreign born Jews in Palestine had previously often benefited from more support than Arab Jews, and we see evidence of this fact even during the war, in the fact that in May of nineteen fifteen, the New York Sun published an investigation into the cruel treatment or of they call them Palestinian Jews. These are mostly European Jews, would come right by the Ottoman government, and this outrage fuels Zionists like to marrige Yabatinski, who'd started his career trying to organize Jewish self defense units in Russia. Well, the Zionist movement officially announced neutrality in the war and moved its HQ to Copenhagen from Hamburg as a result, because it doesn't really make much sense for the Zionists to pick aside in World War One. Honestly didn't make much of a sense for anyone to pick a side in World War One. It was a stupid fucking war, right, But Yabutinsky because he's realized that the Ottomans are going to lose the war by nineteen fifteen, and he gets the approval from Maxwell to create this voluntier force. You know, by nineteen sixteen or so, this force is in the field and it's starting to actually gain combat experience. It's known initially as the Assyrian Jewish Refugee Corps. They're about six hundred and fifty men in the unit at first. The other nickname they're known by is the zion Mule Corps or ZMC, and Jebatinski hates both of these nicknames, by the way, he considers them dishonorable and shameful to his people. But if you know the British military, I actually it's hard for me to interpret Zion Mule Corps anything but kind of you say, it's like not super woke, but it's a sign of fondness. If like that's how I kind of interpret the way the British are naming them. Maybe other people feel I think there's like some debate about that, but this is and when I say fondness, I don't mean that in like a good way. I mean in the way like the British were fond of a lot of their African like like military like tried to.
Speaker 4: Kind of like stuff r Cerchole.
Speaker 2: Right, they call them fighting races. Right, that was like a term the British used. Right, That's what I mean by fond Right. Not to say it's not racist or anything. Yebatinski never fought in the ZMC, but most of the man power came from Russian born Jews who'd been expelled by the Ottomans. Now the unit eventually receives a more official name. It becomes the thirty eighth Battalion of Royal Fusiliers, although it's still more often referred to as the Judaean Regiment The unit motto was first to Judah, which should spell out Yabatinsky's purpose for creating this unit. He wanted Jews to receive combat experience and training so that they could fight their neighbors in Palestine and the British government if necessary, to ensure the of the state of Israel. From the beginning, Vladimir is like, not only does this give us combat experience and guns and might get us in good with the British And that could help because they'll be in charge next and we want them to like us. But even if they don't, if we understand how the British military works, then we can fight them when we need to. Right, That's part of his gain. He's a smart guy. This is really good strategy. Now. The worst deportations from Palestine occur under Jemal Pasha in nineteen seventeen, and Jemal sees his work as necessary to subjugate the budding Jewish national project in Palestine. He is not just worried that these are unloyal, he's anti Zionists. Right, that's a big a motivating factor for this dude. And because Jaffa was home to a large foreign born Jewish population, who were slowly spinning tel Aviv up from a suburb to a city. This is where their focus fell on most heavily. Pasha saw himself as a warrior for Islaw and he wanted to crush Zionism. But as this article in the Journal of Israel Affairs by Glinda Abramson makes clear, he hated Zionism because it was a nationalist movement out of a desire to destroy the Jewish community in Palestine as a whole. Quote. Like many Ottoman statesman, Jimal had witnessed the nationalist movements of the Balkans of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and he was committed to ensure that nothing similar would emerge in the Levant. While he was in charge in Syria, they used to say, if Shimal Pashus scratched his nose, he was thinking of sending them to exile. If he stroked his beard, he was thinking of whether or not to forgive them. However, if he twirled his mustache, be afraid, for the conversation was on a path that may lead to death. So kind of a hard gal get bearings ug.
Speaker 4: I mean just to say like Arabs see him as extremely repressive, like Palestinians see him as extremely repressive. So he has like different types of repression for different communities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is and that's the really important point. He is not anti Zionists because he's racist. He's also anti Arab nationalists. He's anti anyone who doesn't want the other exactly right, exactly. That's this guy's big issue, right, not to say that. I'm sure he believed things that we would call racists, but that's not his motivation. Motivation is the Ottoman Empire. Right now, one of the diplomats who fought hardest to stop Pasha from doing these violent deportations was and this shows you how different the times were, the German consul to the Ottoman Empire, because the Germans and the Ottomans are allies, and the German guy is like, you guys are really mean to these people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh well that's cynic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But Pasha would not be swayed. He believed that Zionists wanted to quote tear part of the body of the Ottoman Empire off, which they did, and he was a diehard Automan loyalist. As a result of his persecution and the wartime shortages, investment in the Zionist project overseas and in Palestine halted during this period. One Jewish exile during this time described the war riors in Palestine this way, and I want to emphasize his description would also describe how most Arab Muslims would experience the same period of time, as they were also disfavored, unloyal minorities fighting an active war against the Ottoman Empire. Quote. They took products from the shops, flowers, sugar, rice, and so on. They ordered the bakers to bake bread without payment until there was no bread or flour left in the city. They ordered all kinds of laborers and workers to work without payment, and their families went hungry. In addition, they grabbed everyone walking in the street, roped them together, and took them to dig pits, once again without payment or food. They confiscated the warehouses of large and small trees to make boxes to carry the stolen oranges to their camps. They took all the leather and skins from the warehouse to make shoes for the army. So yeah, Outam and Empire are not cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my family history, Like I don't know because I'm not a historian, but I don't know if it counts as a famine, but they remember this time as like famine like conditions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, it is a famine. People starved to dead. Yeah, Jews, Muslims, a lot of people starved to the population of Palestine drops by I think like four or five percent during this period. Disease too, is rampant. You know, this is not just Palestine diseases. There's a horrible fucking plague that comes at the end of World War One that kills fucking millions and millions of people. Right, So Jimmel dissolves the few units of Jewish guards that had existed to protect you Wish neighborhoods. Doctors were conscripted and taken to the front, so hospitals had to close, which also caused and helped make worse massive outbreaks of dysentery and typhoid that only got worse as soldiers came home from the war. So by the time of the armises, Yeah, here's the exact number of Palestine's population had fallen by six percent in four years. That is catastrophics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is kind of strong, like yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that's the equivalent of like what like twenty or thirty million Americans and four years dead something like that, if like it were to happen here at least like this just by back of the hop but like a lot, right, that's a massive number of people to die.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when nineteen nine and obviously we all lived through. Think about how the pandemic, what it did to American society. Did it make people like more understanding of each other and like less angry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were still messed up. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine if it had killed like three thousand times as many people proportionally or something like that, right, Yeah, So yeah, when nineteen nineteen dawned, the Ottoman Empire was no more. In the Balfour Declaration meant the new British Mandate had promised to bring some sort of Jewish state into being. Frustration and rage over this was mixed with nationalist ambitions from Arab Muslims and Christians alike, who grew more hostile to both the British and the Zionists. Many longtime residents of Palestine were distraught by the conflict that came alongside nationalism. In his book Lives in Common, Clin writes that members of the old Sephardic Jewish community in Jerusalem often expressed a sense of sadness and bewilderment about the death of the old days. Quote. Nationalisms suddenly intruded on their lives and those of their Muslim neighbors and imposed its hatreds and wars on them. The construction of the national eye involved the rejection of prior identities, including that of being Arab Jews, and that it's both really bleak and it's also why as this goes on, I was trying very hard to differentiate between European born Jewish immigrants, Sephardic Arab Jews. Increasingly it's just Arabs and Jews in terms of how people talk about it and think about it, and how the international community talks about and thinks about it. That hasn't happened yet, certainly not right, not by nineteens right exactly and flattening right, and that that is happening, and that's you know, obviously, there's a genocide going on in Gaza right now, and genocide is not the right word for just like the end of an identity. But I don't think there is a good word for what happens when something like that occurs, right, I don't know it. I don't really know what to refer to that as honestly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not even assimilation, because it's like a direct result of political people there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: The war's end also brings an influx of new foreign born Zionist leaders, as well as a return of thousands of exiled Jews, including many who came back with arms and military experience. Right by the end of the war, Jebatinski's Judean Division numbered more than five thousand men. The International Encyclopedia of the First World War summarizes their service this way, Gebatinski in pattern. It's one of the leaders, one of the direct leaders of the forces. Relationships with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force higher command were not free of friction, as it clearly contained a number of anti Semitic officers who made the lives of the legionnaires difficult. At various points. The legion did not arrive for service until after General Allenby's conquest of Jerusalem. They proved useful in the final battles and then in guarding POWs. In nineteen nineteen, the British government began to decommission the Legion. Jebatinski struggled for the Legion's survival, claiming that the absence of Jewish armed forces would lead to violence against Jews. And you know, first off, one of the reasons why there's conflict, and this is going to be relevant as much as overall. The British Mandate is way definitely going to side with the Zionists and enable them, especially in this period. There's at least an equal number of British military officers who are more siding with the Arabs and are very much hesitant to embrace like the Zionist vision of things, and who certainly want like they don't want it to just be Muslim states, but they want integrated Arabs or independent Arabic states.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: This comes out of like elo arts and stuff. There's a lot of British officers who are not in this period of time bought into the Zionist thing. The British Mandate though, is very much going to side with the Zionists over Arab nationalists in many cases, not that they don't also fight them kill them. There's a lot of violence between the British Mandate and some of these different Zionist groups, as we'll talk about two. So the fact that Yabatinski thinks that if this military unit is decommissioned, it's going to lead to violence against the Jews. His fears there would seem to be reinforced by the escalating violence of the Ottoman state near the end of the war, and the fact that this causes escalating nationalist hostilities too. One of the major Muslim festivals we talked to us a bit was Nebi Musa right, and this is named after a holy site near Jericho said to be the tomb of Moses. Palestinian Muslims would celebrate for seven days, starting just before Good Friday, and in prior years, as I've talked about, and we read a quote about this in the first episode, the festival was often attended by all faiths, as one Jewish resident the Holy City recalled, a warm and happy atmosphere prevailed among us. We knew that they were honoring the memory of a prophet and a man of God, whom we also accepted, and that is obviously one reason why there's so much religious solidarity. Muslims think Moses was pretty important too, rite, so it wouldn't gotten this in previous years. It would make you feel really comforted, right that, like, well, these people believe something different, but we have some commonalities. But during the war things had curdled and in nineteen nineteen, by nineteen nineteen the Nebi Musa celebration, a lot of the speaking around it, because they're speakers at these events, right, were really anti Zionists and anti British right because they're Arab nationalists, right, and Arabs are furious that their own nationalist aims have been thwarted. We talk about this in the Lawns episodes, but the Arabs get really fucked over by the British after fighting for independence. You know, they had fought as well alongside Britain and the Ottomans, and World War One had ended with the Balfour Declaration, but it had not ended with a similar commitment to their aims though they had also fought right and so a lot, a lot of these people think that the new British mandate is giving preferential treatment to foreign born Zionist immigrants simply because they're also seen as being European, and they are. In nineteen twenty, things get valid, Yeah, yeah, you know what else is valid? Sponsors there's there's not a This is like.
Speaker 1: A horrible episode to break this.
Speaker 2: This is a really bad episode for a break transition. Yeah, I know we're.
Speaker 1: Doing We're doing our best here, friends.
Speaker 2: We're back. So as I said, after the war, nineteen nineteen kind of the first post war Nebbi Mussa festival, it's known as like well, there's a lot of like anti Zionist and anti British Mandate speeches and things get really tense, and there's especially like uncomfortable for a lot of the and particularly a lot of the even the non Zionists like Jewish attendees the celebrations, and in nineteen twenty the next year, things get uglear. Several Arab leaders give speeches against Scionist immigration, but it's not really known what the trigger is before rioting breaks out. And this is like really bad. But you'll notice, as I read the death toll, this is not like a one sided thing, right like these whatever else happened, it seems like the amount of force being deployed was, if not entirely accurate. Neither of these size has like a massive like edge on the other in terms of their ability to deploy violence. Five Jews are killed in the rioting, along with four Arab Muslims, and hundreds of people are injured. And the wake of the riot, a number of local Muslim leaders condemn the violence, but a great deal of damage had already been done. It's very hard to restore the kind of trust that had existed before something like this. And there's some really heartbreaking quotes in Lives in Common with especially as like some there are some communities that just like clear out entirely, and like the Jews, they're move in with and start forming in these communities, especially that had been more integrated of like Sephardic Jews, and like move in and start living in common with these like Zionist communities because they don't feel safe anymore, and that decreases the amount of solidarity and the amount of understanding between these communities, and it just everything is going to get a lot uglier in the wake of this. Right, the riots also provide Yabotinsky with an excuse to do what he did best, which is form local self defense militias and arm them with illegally gotten firearms, and he does that right Like. Yabutinsky's very active during the riots, and he is arrested immediately afterwards by the British and charged with illegally using British military forces because he'd gathered a lot of these guys who think in some cases were still British soldiers and use them in his militias, and he'd taken a lot of weapons that did not belong to him. So he is arrested and sentenced to imprisonment in Oker. Like most militant true believers, prison only increased his sense of certainty in what he was doing. He changes his name during this brief prison sentence from Vladimir to Ziev, which is a Hebrew name ze apostrophe ev is how it's at least it's anglicized. The spelling is usually anglicized as and he's only in prison for three months, So again we see would a similar guy who is an Arab Muslim have only gotten what happens for the same crime or when you have been hunger shot? Right exactly, So we're already seeing and this is going to tell massively the fact that and that which you brought up is really important, the fact that because there are militant Arab nationalist groups, right, and you know these are like Palestinian Muslims, and when they do things, they very much often tend to either get killed or imprisoned and always have their guns taken away, whereas that doesn't always happen to these Zionist groups and their leaders, and it allows them to continue building power and organization in a way that is forced to exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they not only killed them, they killed them publicly. Yeah, and they really you know, decimated political leadership during this time. So like the anti British Man sentiment was very much materially connected to the fact that people were feeling extremely repressed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, And you don't get me wrong. Most of the Ziatists really hate the Mandate too. It's just they hate it because, like it's not giving them everything they want at once.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly different reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there are all there are also, like the Mandate will assassinate some Zionist leaders. That does happen too, And likewise, there are Zionist groups that are assassing a lot of British officials. That happens a ton, mostly after a lot of the period we're talking about, but it's starting in this time. So the Hashimer was reformed after the war, and in nineteen twenty and it's an extension called the Hashimer, called the Haganah was created. In its initial conception, the Haganah was a defensive militia and you'll see that as I and like the Oxford Encyclopedia terrorism was like, it's not really a terrorist group. It was a purely defensive militia. It was defensive in its main orientation. But purely is not at all accurate, right, really not act unless.
Speaker 5: You count ethnic cleansing as like defensive self defensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Haganah secret nineteen twenty four constitution declared that its objective was to protect the Jewish community in Palestine. But again I should remind you that the precursor Hagana's motto of the Hagana's motto was Judeo was lost by blood and fire and will rise again by blood and fire. So while the Hagana is on paper at defensive force, over the years they work clandestinely with other militias and gangs and also clandestinely form other militians and gangs that are very much offensive, and they also do offensive as we'll talk about themselves. In nineteen twenty three, Ziev Jabatinski, now living in Riga, founded a right wing youth movement called Bitar, which was opposed to both the older left wing labor movement focused Zionist groups and defensive militias and the British Mandate. And again Bitar is the precursor to Benjamin Nettan Yahoo's Lukud Party, right like they therefore follows the other right there. Yeah, they're fascists and there's a lot of there's a really good article called Jabatinski the Fascist Right that talks about a lot of the similarities between some of these and especially Mussolini's fascist groups because don't they wear shirts. Yes, they do wear brown shirts, and there are attempts to work with and they do work with two A degree Mussolini's government, until Mussolini gets so inbed with Hitler that they have to push more anti Semitic laws. Like there's a lot of sympathy with the the Italian fascists and some of these these right wing Zionist groups. That's a really important thing that's going on right now too. I'm not talking about it enough in these episodes. There's so much to get over, but that is a really important thing that you should know that when I say right wing, I don't mean like kind of conservative on tax policy, right, that's what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Healthcare policies are a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're they're not. Yeah, they're they're they're they're fascist, like proto fascist fastest you know, you could. Academics will quibble, like, you know, there's a lot of similarities. They're wearing brown shirts, right, and what else do you need? It out there? And as the twenties roared on, violence in the Holy Land only grew more common, and it takes a bunch of different forms, from street fights between gangs. And some of these are you could call them Arab nationalist gangs and Zionist gangs. Some of are just like gangs of people who are like Jewish and Muslim and live in towns and they're like pissed, right, they're teenagers fighting or whatever. And some of them are organized militant gangs and terrorist groups that are doing as targeted murders and assassinations of each other. Right. And of course there's also riots periodically, and a lot of these riots will wind up targeting Jewish neighborhoods. That happens repeatedly over the years, and it really hard. The violence and the constant temple violence hardens a lot of people, and it also causes a lot of people to change their minds and beliefs. And in many ways this is in a tragic and it makes them a lot meaner and more aggressive, but not always. And this brings me to a really tragic and really complicated story. Have you ever heard of Jacob Israel de Haan? No, this I'm glad to get to tell you because I hadn't note about this guy either, and he's a really interesting fellow. So Jacob was born in eighteen eighty one in the Netherlands, just as the first wave of Zionist my grace from Europe began. He became a teacher and a writer, and he published his first novel in nineteen oh four, which is again the same year as The Kitchen of Pagram. This book was a fictional account of the author's homosexual relationship with a real scholar, Arnold Alatrino, who was married, although a public defender of homosexuality. So what people generally think is happening is that Dehan is having an affair with this guy who's like publicly married but also like an advocate for queer people and is queer himself, and he writes a book fictionalizing it but using the real dude's name, which is kind of fucked up. Like it's really messy. This man is messy. Dehn is considered one of the greatest poets in the history of the Netherlands, right, but he's like, he is messy. This man is so fucking messy. He gets fired from his newspaper gig as a result of this book because it causes like a real problem, and also his newspaper get writing a children's column, so the fact that he's written this book does not make him seem like the best guy to be writing this column because he's like publicly accused a guy of like, you know, it's it's it's it's messy. They also have to alter the book to like take the name of an actual married dude out anyway, and his fiance because he has a fiance that he's like marrying to like hide the fact that he's gay. She like actually helps buy up all the copies of his original books get rid of this. In nineteen oh seven, de Han married a gentile woman and published a second This had been the fiance and published a second novel about us. And so, first off, by the way, you should see, he marries a gentile woman. This is not a guy who is a super strict believer. I don't even think he would call himself a believer in nineteen oh seven. Really he's Jewish, you know, is an identity as an ethnicity. But he's not really faithful in this period of time. So he publishes a second novel, and this one is about a sado masochistic relationship between a man and a boy. Now this is going to be relevant to talking about Dehn. But like in this period of time and a lot of countries, pedophilia and homosexuality are the exact same thing under the law, and that causes some real the uncomfortable situations and some really uncomfortable writing from a number of figures European figures in this period of time, to Han is not the only one. And we don't really know, like did he was he actually like a pederist? Is this just like a thing he wrote about? Because you know, cultury, a lot of weird stuff's going on at the time. I don't really know how to entirely delineate all of that right, But this is a complicated man. He is very queer, and he is very much in the counterculture of his day. You could not be much more in the counterculture of his day than this guy is. So, despite some questionable decision making, he gets a doctorate of law in nineteen sixteen. But to Han can't find prestigious work as a lawyer, so he starts writing and publishing poetry, and his work is noted I'm not a good judge of poetry from this part of the world, but his work is noted as both being very Jewish and very sexual. Right, he's super horny, and he's he's like very much chimber of the Jewish community and influenced by it. Right, He's very controversial, but his poems are white celebrated today He's still considered one of the best poems the Netherlands ever produced. And he starts to develop a degree of respect as a public eccentric. Right, he kind of crosses over from being, Oh, this guy is someone you don't want to This guy is like a weirdo who's into some stuff that we don't approve of, and you don't want to talk to him. To this guy's a weirdo. We celebrate because he's a great artist, right, he crosses that barrier, you know, during this kind of period of.
Speaker 1: Time, because he's very Juish and very horny, very Jewish, very horny, that is how people describe to Han, and very queer.
Speaker 2: He visited Russia near the end of the Tzardom, and this really seems to have an influence on him, right, seeing how Jewish people are treated in Russia. He visits prisons and seeing how prisoners are treated by the czar, he becomes an activist, right, and his experiences in the East, Lee didn't become both a Zionist and an observant Jew. And this is He's also nearing middle age, so maybe he becomes Orthodox during this time mid life crisis.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Per an article Inherits by David Green, in nineteen nineteen, Dehan decided to immigrate from Amsterdam to Jerusalem. A letter to British Zionist leader Heim Weizmann, he wrote, with typical self assurance, that I am not leaving Holland to improve my condition. Neither materially nor intellectually. Will life in Palestine be the equal to my life here. I am one of the best poets of my generation and the only important Jewish national poet Holland has ever had. It is difficult to give up all this. So first off, you can say this is the guy who was a high opinion of himself. And second this is a guy who seems very committed to the Zionist project. But after he moves to Palestine, he lives through these years we've been talking about of rap. He comes there as the violence is starting to escalate. He sees the riots, and he sees these assassinations and counter assassinations and these beatings as he's teaching law and writing for a Dutch newspaper, and he starts to become critical of the Zionist project right as a result of what he's seeing, this violence really turns him off of it. Eventually he meets an anti Zionist rabbi who is This guy is also a really interesting figure, Joseph heim Sonenfeld. Sonenfeld is the guy, the rabbi who founded an ultra orthodox anti Zionist community in Palestine called Ida Haridit and was it spokesman. And he was also, like Dehan, really controversial. Sexually, he gets accused of being a pedophile. Today, I don't know how accurate those allegations are. He is definitely a guy who publicly made a habit of trying to shock Christian morals as a protest against homophobia. And I don't know how to judge him accurately in terms of what he's done, in part because both of these guys are anti Zionists, there's also a lot of propaganda against them. I don't know what's true and what's not about their sexualities and what they did or didn't do. In nineteen twenty two, Dehan takes a case to defend a Hareadi political movement protesting against the need to pay an excise tax that Zionist authorities had placed on Matso. So these are anti Zionist Jews in Palestine who do not want to pay an excise tax that the Zionists want them to pay. Right, he represents them in court, I think successfully, and he starts becoming more and more of an anti Zionist activist in Palestine. And because remember, this guy is a celebrity. I know when I say I a famous poet, that doesn't sound famous today, in like nineteen twenty two, a famous poet could be pretty goddamn famous. And Dahn is very famous, and so he starts meeting with European political figures and talking about anti Zionism, and because he's such a beloved artist, this really starts to worry a lot of Zionists in Palestine. He also meets with Hussein bin Ali, the king of now Saudi Arabia, and they start talking about forming a Palestinian state that would be like multi racial or religious, multi ethnic, you know, like not a Zionist date right now, Obviously de Han's not anti Semitic. He wants the British out, and he wants Palestine to be an indicopendent country. He just is no longer a Zionist. He thinks that Jews and Muslims and Christians and presumably atheist weirdos like him and his friends should all live in relative harmony. Right so he's no longer supporting a Jewish state, and this really is going to cause problems for him, David Green continues. By now Dehn had become a liability to the Zionist movement and a special dangerous because of the platform he now had for spreading his views in London, where critical decisions about Palestine were being made in Jerusalem, he became persona non grata among Zionists, including his law students. One anecdote has him walking with a Dutch visitor who observed that as people passed them into the street, they were spitting on the sidewalk. The visitor thought this was a sign of disrespect, to which de Han responded, According to Dutches, his Storian Ludy gibbles, Oh, no, they spit on the street out of respect for you, your presence. Otherwise they would have spit in my face.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's very honest.
Speaker 2: Yes, is such an issue? He reads me me, Yeah, he does not have illusions. Early on the morning of June thirtieth, nineteen twenty four, as he left the synagogue and shar Zadek Hospital on Jaffa Road, Dehn was shot three times. He died immediately. And you know this is the British Mandate issues a reward for information about the killer. No one ever comes forward, No one's ever caught, right, obviously, and for a long time people just kind of assumed the Haganah had done it. But we didn't know the Hagana had done it until an Israeli businessman named Avraham Tahomi came forward in the nineteen eighties. We're going to talk about Abraham a little bit later too. Abraham had been with the Haganah in the nineteen twenties, and he claims that when he assassinated Dehn, he was working under the orders of Yitzak benz v, the future second President of Israel and an officer in the Hagana at the time. To Homie insisted, I have no regrets because Dehn wanted to destroy our whole idea of Zionism. And I just tell you a lot because Dehn is very much saying we need an independent state that the British don't run. He just doesn't want it to be racist.
Speaker 3: It doesn't want it to be exclusion are Yeah. Yeah, it's an interesting like journey that he took to ethno nationalism. And I was like, oh wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it shows like someone who whatever else you want to say about him, looks at as soon as he realizes how much violence is going to have to happiety, He's like, no, it's not worth it. That's horrible. I don't want that. A poet like that's.
Speaker 3: Not my I mean, that's the whole thing with like cultural Zionists, right, I mean, I don't know, I'm not a historic of Zionism, but like my understanding is they're like, oh, you know, we belong here, we should have some you know, stake here, but we should definitely not be exclusionary and no nationalist coast right, that's suffer too much badness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, As I've tried to say, Zionism doesn't mean one thing. There are a lot of like, you know, cultural zionis is one is a good term for the people who like their idea of what Zionism means is like well, like the Jewish kind of community that we want to create. It's not necessarily a political state. It's like a like an actual community, but it doesn't necessarily require us to have political power and be the only ones with it. That's not what I a lot of people are advocating for. Obviously, those folks become less common as everything gets hardened and everything gets a lot more violent, and a lot of them get killed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You see, if you are one of those kind of people like Dahan, who is willing to like rethink your ideas and push for a much more integrated and less aggressive thing than these really aggressive Zionists are going to kill you if they think you're going to get any far, because that's what happens to de Han, right, and his death is often called the first political assassination in the Zionist community, the first assassination of a Jew buy other Jews, right like that, and it's not going to be the last, by the way, but it is really important because it kind of breaks that barrier, and violence of every kind is going to grow a lot more common. In the late twenties and thirties, and Tel Aviv and Jaffa, two cities joined by the hip by the thirties, there were constant conflicts over the fact that Jewish kids would visit brothels and gambling dens run by Arabs in downtown Jafa, just as Arab kids went to Tel Aviv to do the same thing. Right, there are like criminals. There are like Arab Muslim criminals who like run brothels and run drugs and whatnot in the legal dancing houses, and there's like Jewish like organized criminal gangs that do the same thing. And they both tend to have a lot of appeal to like members of the opposite commun unity, which causes like the a lot of like the you know, particularly the mothers and fathers because they're often kids, to start moral panics about, oh, the Arabs are corrupting our kids, the Jews are corrupting our kids, right, And the reality is that like kids like to go do stuff they're not supposed to do. And if you're growing up in Tel Aviv, go in to downtown Jafa to go like into a brothel is going to seem like the most transgressive.
Speaker 3: Thing you can do one.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Whereas if you're a Muslim growing up in Jaffa, Tel Aviv's going to have a similar appeal. Right. Ultimately, this is very funny. The British solve the problem with all these brothels by first they crack down on the brothels and like close them down, and then that just means all the brothels are illegal, and they realize that, like, oh shit, we actually have a problem keeping like enough salt of our soldiers healthy because all of our soldiers are going to the brothels obviously they're soldiers. And so the British mandate establishes a bunch of official brothels so that they can make sure they don't lose too many soldiers to VD right, and they keep by the way, these brothels are stopped with both like Arab and ashkanasm women, right, Like that's what the part of what the British Mandate is doing. Like they're deliberately like recruiting a mix of women to like run like people these brothels as part of like a public health measure. I guess you'd call it. You know, obviously there's still illegal brothels, and it's not uncommon you see brothel owners and like including like a lot of Jewish brothel owners will get murdered by Zionist gangs for corrupting the community. The same thing happens Arab nationalists will murder you know, Arab brothel owners for similar reasons. Because these are also people are becoming more religious hardline right or religiously hardline newspapers publish constant allegations that one community is corrupting the other. There's tons of complaints from like, you know, people in Tel Aviv that these these Arab men are coming over to aglar women, and complaints from like in Jaffa of like these rowdy young Jewish kids are coming in and like causing problems, right, like you see a lot of those complaints in the newspapers. And sometimes as much as it turns into like conflict, it's also evidence of the fact that these are still deeply tied communities. Young people are hanging out together, young people are going over to each other's like downtown margins, and they're just there's intermarrying and other kinds of inter stuff. Right, I'm gonna I'm going to quote again from Life's in Common here. Romance has sometimes developed between Britons and young women in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. The Jewish underground militias fought this phenomenon, tracking and on occasion interrogating girls who socialized with British soldiers and civilians and with Arabs. Some were executed on charges of providing intelligence to the enemy. And you know, there's we're not going to be talking about enough, but there are a lot of like mixed relationships, and these are often very common. You have a lot of really awful stories about like when you know, the violence boils over during the Arab or bolt and stuff. You have a lot of families broken up that are had been inter faith families. Like there's but they're is that is happening here, and it's a mix of these people just trying to live their lives and also totally unwittingly becoming flashpoints because other members of the community get angry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their identities are like to complicated. Can I just plug the episode I did about my great.
Speaker 2: Ground there here please? Yea yeah, yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Could happen here if people are interested in like one particular story that happens to be my in my family history. There's there's that, but it's I mean, kind of more broadly, I think we need to understand like the lens of like sexual politics here is an important one to see the conflict through because it remains like the way that both like the British but also then the Israeli government weaponizes kind of maybe less less progressive sexual politics in some of these communities is a relevant thing to understand. I mean it continues until.
Speaker 2: Today, yeah, absolutely. Nineteen twenty nine is a particularly bad year for violence in Palestine after Zionist leaders refuse British offers to shared Arab Jewish reports. So there's a lot of talk about like representation and like moving towards an independent state in Palestine because the mandate the British never like own Palestine. That's not how they're thinking about it either. They are from the beginning though, that they're going to leave at some point. And so the British, you know, they have Zionist leaders and you know, Arab leaders come to the table and they're talking about trying to figure out some sort of system, and the British make an offer that would have had shared Arab Jewish representation, right, and the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, you know, and the Arabs are generally in agreement with this, but the Zionists do not. They do not want to come to the table, they don't want shared representation. So this pisses off the Grand Mufti. It piss off a lot of people. And the Grand Muffy starts speaking out about a future Jewish takeover of the Temple Mount, right, And he starts giving speeches telling like they're trying to take over, they're trying to take over the Temple Mount. They're trying to push us out of our of our home. And there are newsletters, news articles that are published at the same time about a series of land purchases that had been made by the Jewish National Fund that inflamed the now decades old arguments over how much land Jewish immigrants should be allowed to buy. This is all further incensed by years of constant conflict over who should be allowed to do what where, particularly at the Western Wall, which is also part of the al Oxa Mosque. Now, there had been friction over this forever pretty much, at least at times, but in the past a genuine desire of most Muslims and Jews to let each other do their thing tended to win out. You don't see that staying true by the late twenties, and shit just keeps getting uglier and uglier until August of nineteen twenty nine. And we're talking about you know, the politics of this, you know the ongoing back and forth, and the religious dimensions of this. But I also don't want you to forget the fact that everything boils over in August when it's really fucking hot, which is just throughout history always when riots and stuff tend to be at their worst everywhere when it's hot, right, Yeah, it's just people. Per an article in EPSCO quote, the unrest was initially sparked by the installation of a portable screen by Jewish worshippers at the western wall on Yam Kapur, aimed at separating men and women during prayer. The location is significant to both Jews as a remnant of the ancient temple and Muslims, who viewed as part of the Al Axa Mosque complex. Following escalating tensions and protests from both sides, violence erupted when rumors spread the Jewish groups intended to attack Muslim holy sites. The riots escalated over several days, resulting in substantial loss of life, with two hundred and forty nine fatalities recorded, one hundred and thirty three Jewish and one hundred and sixteen Arab, alongside hundreds of injuries. The violence extended from Jerusalem to other areas such as Hebron and Safed, where Jews faced brutal attacks, and obviously, like Jewish communities are being attacked at the same time you see in the death toll, this is not these groups are still not completely out of proportion with each other in terms of their capacity to do violence. Right when you have like Zion militias and these Arab nationalists militias, they're kind of at parody still. You kind of see that in the death toll.
Speaker 3: You know, just say it's more like a fight than like a pagrom, like essentially or something.
Speaker 2: There are brawls in there are programs. There are eight neighborhoods that are attacked that don't have defense, right, and people are forced out of their homes and lose their houses. And there are also massive street fights, and there's counter fights and counter attacks. I don't know if like pagram, I don't know who gets to determine that it's a mix of different kinds of violence. This is happening over days, and it happening in multiple cities, right, So it's not the same everywhere, right, But it's not a situation is where like it's just one group of people dying, right, Like, that's certainly not the case. And this is this is terrible, and there is a lot of violence against innocent people and a lot of particularly a lot of like civilian Jewish communities. And this is one of those terrible moments that historians often see is having sort of locked in the worst possible future. Right that this is not necessarily the point of no return, but it's one of the points that makes it very hard for things to get better, right, And the Western Wall rights are a really important point for things getting worse in Palestine. Afterwards, Jewish militias increase in size and number, and they began building and importing more arms. Antisemitic violence rises, as to assassinations and property destruction by groups like your Gun. Again. That's the good. Is the right wing militia that bitar the right wing party forms in Palestine. We'll talk about them too a little bit more here now I should note it in Oh yeah, I should also do an ad break, I guess, and we're back. So nineteen twenty nine. Also August of nineteen twenty nine also sees the horrific Hebron massacre. That's kind of part of this whole swell of violence where this about seventy people are actually murdered. But because the community Hebron is tiny, there's only six or seven hundred Jews I think in Hebron at this period of time, and because homes are destroyed, the community is basically destroyed. That's how a lot of people see it, Like huge numbers of Jews and Hebron are like forced out of their homes, and a lot of people will say like that's kind of the end of the Jewish community as it had existed previously, right, and that's also going to bring a lot more violence. In fact, it's this nineteen twenty nine program that inspires a debate within the Haganah over how the organization should proceed. Abraham to Homy again, the guy who's killed the han becomes closely tied to Yabatinsky and Batar, and he urges a split and he forms a group and originally initially called the Haganah b Or there's like an apostrophe b. I don't know if it's like literally ab or if it's I'm not you know, Hebrew's not my strong suit here. It's initially just a split off of the Haganah, and it's renamed Etzel, and then in nineteen thirty one it's named renamed Irgun or the National Military Organization, and this becomes the Militant Terrorist Arm of Bitar. Rgun is a terrorist group. There is no other way to look at your gun as a terrorist than as a terrorist group, right, And in order to kind of make that clear, I want to talk to you about, you know, what Abraham Tahomi believed. And I'm going to quote from a paper in the Institute for Palestine Studies by Maher Sharif. Abraham to Hoomi declared that political violence and terrorism were legitimate means in the Jewish national struggle for the land of Israel. Pretty simple, right, not a You don't have to read into him much to call him a terrorist. He does. Irgun is the largest right wing gang at the time, but it's not the only one. And in short order they're going to be joined by like the Stern Gang. I think Getzel is the other name of the Stern Gang, and there's several others, right And in short order, these different gangs, as they're often called, we might call them terrorists, cells or insurgent groups, you know, that would be a more modern term for them. They start causing problems for the British Mandate. They launch a lot of attacks and assassinations on British officers, and the British are kind of bewildered. They're bewildered both by this nineteen twenty nine wave of vice program or you know, riots, whatever you want to call them, that really scares the British Mandate, that really convinces them that, like, we probably can't stay here like this. There's a ticking clock on how long we can keep things under wraps here, and it also convinces the Mandate we have to take some major steps to try to turn down the temperature because things are dangerously close to outright war. Right, because they're the British, they pick the worst ways to try to fix all that, well, not the worst ways, but they do maybe the right thing in ways that are only going to make the situation worse. So they zero went on immigration from Europe of Zionist Jews and land ownership policies as major causes of discord. And obviously, as we've talked about, these are major causes of discord. But they immediately throttle Zionist immigration into Palestine and that infuriates. By the time they do that, you could say, well, of course, you know, what else are they going to do? But when you do that, after like years of it just happening without nearly as much it and there's like tens of thousands of heavily armed and organized zion groups in the country, many of whom had been initially armed and trained by the British, I should say also, it's just it's it's gonna just cause more violence, right, They immediately try to crack down on this thing, and the people that they've given guns to and training start fighting them a lot harder.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: This sparks increasing conflict, sometimes deadly between you know, the British authorities and these different militias. And while the Hagana try not to get involved directly with attacking the British Mandate. Part of why er Gun and the Stern Gang and these other gangs exist and they do have ties to the Haganah is so that the movement can do attacks in the British Mandate without like the Hagana, you know, getting directly involved. Right. David Rappaport, who wrote the influential article The Fourth Wave September eleventh and the History of Terrorism, includes Ergun and lee High sorry lee High is the other name of the Stern Gang as examples of the second wave of terrorism. The first was the anarchist wave, which it started in Russia in the late eighteen hundreds, and the second was an anti colonial wave. But there's a lot of people who disagree with Rapaport's claim because it's not really right to look at the violence of a group like Irgun or Lehigh or the Haganah as anti colonial like terrorism or anti colonial insurgency. It's not really anti colonial violence period. And I'm going to quote from the Oxford Handbook of the History of Terrorism. Unlike violent conflicts in other parts of the world during that period, the Jewish struggle for self determination Palestine cannot be characterized as anti colonial for two main reasons. First, while both air Gun and especially lee High targeted British officials, Palestine was never part of the British Empire. Furthermore, one of the main initial objectives of the mandate was to facilitate the implementation of the Balfour Declaration. Anti colonial struggles are generally associated with uprisings of indigenous populations against foreign rule. The vast majority of Jews from the Irgun and Lehigh who struggled for the establishment of the independent State of Israel were immigrants, while their main opponents, namely the Palestinians, were natives of the land. Very important point to keep in mind.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised if the Oxford Handbook was thus honest.
Speaker 2: They did say that at least yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean terrorism studies is just a offenccessful, so this is yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that part of it was right. I have some issues with that. But yeah, Now, all of these pressures keep building and building, as does the violence, until things come to a head again in the Great Arab Revolt of nineteen thirty six to nineteen thirty nine. Sometimes you'll hear called the Great Palestinian Revolt. I want to quote now from an article in the journal Origins by Ori Yehudai. Historians date the beginning of the Great nineteen thirty six to nineteen thirty nine Arab Revolt as it came to be known, to the killing of two Jews by Palestinian Arabs near the town of Karm on April fifteenth, nineteen thirty six, followed by Jewish retaliation against Palestinians that expanded into riots and Jaffa and Tel Aviv. So that's like a really short summary of kind of what happens. Everything I've discussed over these last two episodes also is part of why this revolt happens, right, This increasing anger at the Mandate, this increasing anger at ze Ionism, all of the violence between these different communities that have occurred, All of that is a big part of what leads to this revolt.
Speaker 3: And fifty years at this point, Bry you know, basically nationalism being suppressed on one side.
Speaker 2: Right right, and another cause also can't be divorced from is the coming of Nazism to Germany, which causes a massive surch in Jewish immigration into Palestine that makes them more than a quarter of the population by nineteen thirty six. To quote from Oriyhudai again, the Zionists built their settlements on land purchased from Arab owners living in Palestine or in neighboring Arab countries. The transactions had a devastating impact on Palestinian society, as they often involved the removal of Palestinian peasants from the land. The distress of thousands of uprooted peasant families, coupled with frustration over the failure of traditional leadership to halt Zionism, led to a grassroots uprising launched by younger nationalist activists on April twenty fifth, nineteen thirty six. Palestinian political parties temporarily put aside their differences and created a coordinating body called the Arab Higher Can or AHC, headed by a Haaji Amin al Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem. And the first thing that happens and what's called now the Great Air Revolt is a six month general strike that is peaceful. Right. This is an attempt of by a large organized body of Palestinian Arabs to address their grievances with the British mandate via a general strike, which is what everyone says should be the right way to do something like this, Right, you like, peacefully but firmly state your demands and without using violence, create a way to disrupt life in so that the people who are running things make concessions to you. Right Like, that's like how you're supposed to try to improve things like in the West. That's what we say, right, rather than violence, right, but nothing like. The British not only ignore them, they outright refuse the demands of this committee. Right because the committee is demanding an end to Jewish immigration and land purchase and an independent national government. Now there's room, as there always has been, for a negotiation here, but the British refuse. And after six months of peaceful striking, a rebellion breaks out and it turns into a general uprising against the British and the Zionists, and it gets very ugly. There's a number of different rebel groups some of them carry out attacks on Jewish civilians too. This is a really brutal time, but that's not the majority or even all of what's happening. Certainly, the violence convinces the British that the Mandate is untenable and that they're going to need to create a Jewish state immediately, and they drop plans to do this. The initial plans would transfer because of where they're and I think that their initial idea for this Jewish state they want to make is about seventeen percent of Palestine, right, and because of the way they draw it up, it's going to require the transfer. That's the term they use, of two hundred thousand Arab Palestinians out of this new Jewish territory and about one thousand Jews are going to need a vice versus. So you see, I mean that's a really good I look right there at just the discrepancy between how the Mandate treats these two sides is they think it's reasonable to ask two hundred thousand Arab Muslims to leave their homes in exchange for like a thousand Jews doing the same on the other side, right, which is like I just think those numbers are kind of useful to look at next to each other, right, So the Zionist leadership accepts everything the British offer except the size of their borders, which is worth noting. The Palestinian leadership says, no, this isn't really at all.
Speaker 5: Would we do that?
Speaker 2: Why would we like? What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: On what?
Speaker 2: The rebellion goes on until fall of nineteen thirty eight, when the British send in a big old army to murder their way out of the problem, or re summarizes. The British sent twenty thousand troops to Palestine and used harsh measures against the rebels, including house demolitions and executions. They outlawed the AHC, arrested and expelled activists, and disarmed the Palestinians. Their vote was suppressed by the summer of nineteen thirty nine, leaving a toll of approximately five thousand Arab, four hundred and fifteen Jewish and one hundred British deaths. And this is the most lopsided death toll we've seen. Obviously the British are largely responsible for that, but you know what you've seen here. The British have sent a couple really important messages with how they've dealt with this. First, they've told the Palestinians that peaceful protest is not going to get you shit. And second they've told the Zionists that your arms and militias are acceptable and your years of militant organizing are working. These are not great messages to send. This is going to cause problems for everybody.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Once World War Two gets started, a great number of Jewish fighters in Palestine again sign up to fight with the British. And they do this for both the incredibly understandable reason of wanting to fight the Nazis and for the same reason Yapotenski had wanted a Jewish legion World War One so that they could get more arms and experience for their upcoming war of independence. But the conflict with the British doesn't end just because they're ostensibly on the same side of this growing war. In nineteen forty, the Central Office for Jewish Immigration chartered three ships to take Jewish refugees from Romania to Palestine. Once these ships docked, the British refused to let the refugees off. They had enacted by this point the White Paper Policy to curb Jewish immigration, and they planned to deport these people and not by the way back to Romania, and to do so transferred all of the Jewish refugees from these three ships to one boat called the Patria, which was docked at Haifa and bound for Mauritius. That's where they were going to unload these people, so they weren't going to be in Palestine.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So you've got this boat full of have you heard of the Patria case?
Speaker 3: By the way, No, this is a new to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a really important point. That's kind of the point we're going to end on. I didn't really know about this either. So you've got this boat and it's got these refugees from the Holocaust, right like, docted at Haifa, and the British are going to send it off to Mauritius. And there's a massive debate within the Haganah for what to do here. Now. During World War two, the Haganah's unofficial motto was fight the white paper like there is no world war and help the British like there is no white paper. So they wanted to stop these people from being howard it right for a lot of reasons. But when you get into the habit as the Hagana has by this point of stockpiling guns and explosives, every problem starts to look like maybe guns and explosives are the solution, right, Like, that's just a human universal I want to quote now from an article in the Museum of the Jewish People. Amateurism, negligence, and perhaps even an inherent subconscious disrespect for the refugees blinded their eyes. The Hagana commanders acted against experts advice and placed a bomb in the rickety side of the old ship rather than under the machines area where there would be no passengers. And their idea here, at least the claim that the Hagana makes is that we wanted to set off a small explosion so that they would have to evacuate the ship. And once they've evacuated these refugees into Palestine, it'll be a lot easier to keep them here. Right There's You could certainly run into theories that they intended it to be as big as it was. But whatever the cause is, in the official senses that they fucked up and were just really bad with their explosives. They completely screw up, and they blow this to Kingdom, fucking calm and they kill two hundred and sixty seven Jewish refugees. Right, it is a horrible catastrophe, and it is still today known as the Patry Disaster. Is seen as the largest catastrophe in which Jews cause the death of other Jews. Two hundred and sixty seven total people die in the bombing. They're not actually all Jewish, but the vast majority of them are, and another one hundred and seventy two are injured. Now, the Haganah again says that we miscalculated. This was a horrible fuck up on humanitarian grounds. Though the British respond to this by saying, okay, all of the survivors get to stay, and so what message has the Mandate sent the Haganah by exactly right, And this is where I'm going to end things. Again, it's an arbitrary point. Any point I would pick is, but I think by this point you see everything that's going to lead us in to the Nakba to forty eight, Like everything has been established now there's not really a turning back point, and a lot of it is because of what the messages the British have sent, both that they've cracked down and debilitated and killed so many of these Palestinian leaders, and they have just continued to yield and aid and a bet, you know the Hagen even while they're carrying out terrorist attacks that in a lot of cases kill you know, British civilians and their own civilians. Right. The lesson they have sent is bombing and violence is the way to get what you want, and we will give you everything if you just do a little bit more of it. That's what the British are saying in nineteen forty, right, And everything that comes after that is I think pretty I wouldn't say predictable, but you get I think kind of where everything else happens at this point.
Speaker 3: I think the discrepancy is also really important to highlight here because when nineteen forty it happens, I think a lot of maybe pro Israel readings of that event or propaganda around that event is that, oh, all of these Arab countries attacked Israel, but in fact they were armed like three to one. And it's because of this discrepancy that's like continued through time that the British have allowed for them to like build up their material power. So even with those Arab countries coming in in nineteen forty eight, when Israel declares itself after Palstins are ethically cleansed, like it's it's nothing compared to what the Israeli gangs are able to do, which are an IDEF and all.
Speaker 2: About yeah, it's become the IDF. In this period, and obviously there continue to be conflicts between like the Irgun and the Haganah because they're not in agreement about, among other things, yourgun wants to be the military of Israel right at a certain point, and you know there's I did debate should I have talked ended this more at like the bombing of the King David Hotel, But I don't, you know, which is something people should be aware of. You know, it's another and that I think the was your gun and Monoch and begin was like a major figure in sort of helping to mastermind that terrorist attack. But I you know, by this point in time, you've seen both like the community that had existed previously, you know seventeen eight or in the eighteen ags that we started talking about, has been forcibly broken down and also broken just because like the massive changes that have swept the culture have meant that like people don't feel the same about who they are anymore in a lot of.
Speaker 3: Cases, and it's very difficult to say you're an Arab Jew, right when there's not really space for you in either nationalism essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then of course.
Speaker 3: I mean you're not even getting to the part of like all of the Arab Jewish migration that happens in the aftermath of Israel's creation and how the state treats them. Yeah, I mean today I think there are over fifty percent of the population of Jewish Israelis, but you wouldn't know that, like there's so much similarity between them and their Palestinian enemies essentially, but because of like you said, the identity has been.
Speaker 2: Erased, right, And that's why there aren't Arab Jewish communities and a lot of these different Middle Eastern North African countries that had existed up intol the forties. Is because after the established to the State of Israel, both there's reprisals against them. They also feel safe from moving to Israel. But yeah, as you said, there's like a it causes there are huge within Israel, like sectarian divides between different points of origin, right, and none of that goes away you know, and the it's all, it's all just I keep thinking back. The thing I can't really get out of my head because I hadn't really known about this kind of relationship is the relationship between these Arab Muslims who were descended from the people who got kicked out of you know, modern day Spain and Portugal Liberia, and the Sephardic Jews who are the same right, and this this beautiful awareness they have that like we're part of each other's past, and you know, even though that they're not the same religion, they've preserved a lot of our past even better than we did, and so like we have this degree of love towards them that doesn't I don't think that exists anymore that interrelate those communities in a relate like that which.
Speaker 3: Those Youdays have been a race essentially. But like said, do you know what's a really interesting anecdote around this community is there was a Palestinian refugee in Lebanon who kind of remembered vaguely that her grandmother had like very specific customs around certain holidays and like kind of strange things that her neighbors didn't share. Turns out her grandmother was originally from this Jewish community that was expelled from Spain. So the Palestinian refugee in Lebanon was able to get Spanish citizenship on the basis of being a descendant of jew right, Yeah, I mean absurd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absurd. And also like just one more piece of evidence that like the long history of like inter relationship and like community, like intercommunal existence is way older than sectarian hatred, you know, like, h it's just sad.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it's funtor rethink nationalism. I don't know believe.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it didn't work out great. Maybe maybe it was mostly bad. Maybe yeah, I don't know. You know what's not mostly bad? The book you just helped put together.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, The Handbook on Authoritarianism in the Air World is out now with Bluemsbury Politics. I'd also recommend my again my episode for it could happen here about my great grandmother And if people are interested in the Arab Jewish question, look up the Israeli Black Panthers. Yeah, very interesting little anecdote there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, well that's going to do it for us at Behind the Bastards this week, and uh yeah, come back next week where we'll talk about I know, probably a dictator or something. I'll give you guys. I'll give you guys a fun one, a fun one, and they're none of them are fun ones. I'll give you guys a different one sounds good.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your pots. Full video episodes that Behind the Bastards are now streaming on Netflix, dropping every Tuesday and Thursday. Hit remind me of Netflix, you don't miss an episode. For clips in our older episode catalog, continue to subscribe to our YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash at behind the Bastards. We love about forty percent of you, statistically speaking,