Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: Hi, Alena, it is your term. That's right, Eyl takeover. Will we come into Atlanta y'all?
Speaker 3: Yes? January twenty fifth. January twenty sixth two day event we have Starting out January twenty fifth, live podcast. We have PTG boys. They're killing the car industry right now. Brandon Medford EYL alumni and his two partners will be there. Mister and missus two weeks out killing the fitness game in Atlanta. Yeah, the first couple of Atlanta. They will be guested none other than one of the top realtors in Atlanta, Keanna Watson, top five percent realtor in Atlanta, will be there to talk about Atlanta real estate. And also the legend himself, Curate Burns Curative Culture Kenny Burns EYO alumni will be our guest. We will have other alumni in the building. We will have following the live podcast is an open bar, private dinner, private networking event. It's going to be crazy.
Speaker 4: That's just day one.
Speaker 3: Day two we have a workshop planned for you guys. We have Alex good Energy, the King of Trucking EYOL alumni. We have Andy from Y two K Credit Solutions about credit around EYOL alumni, MG, the mortgage Guy EYOL alumni will be in the building to talk about real estate for financing your real estate deal. And then also the King of Wholesaling, Max Maxwell and EYO alumni himself be in there to teach real estate wholesaling. So today event All the information is on our website.
Speaker 4: And over now.
Speaker 3: Don't wait till it's too late. Get your tickets Atlanta. We will see you soon. Can't wait to touch the TEMs.
Speaker 2: Right, don't wait, don't hesitate going on lead your dot com right now, hit events stap.
Speaker 4: We'll see you there.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back, ey L Maryland Edition. DC Edition. Actually, yeah, shout outs to DC, shout outs the District of Columbia for sure. So before we start, we just got to think you guys, we had a crazy event this morning and you also had a crazy event as well, so don't talk about that for sure. But yeah, yeah, we had a crazy, crazy event. Day two will be tomorrow, will by the time you hit it'll be over. But the DC Weekend d MV Weekend with a tremendous success in Atlanta. We're coming next. That's our next stop. January twenty fifth and January twenty sixth, we headed to the A going our way. We're going to do it big out there for the whole weekend.
Speaker 2: So a big shout out to Capital Events Group Man Sharani Tiarhani Ida Man. He did an amazing job putting that together. So definitely shout out to him. Man, if you're in the DC area and you need an event plan, hit my man out man.
Speaker 3: The most the most important person. Yeah, sure, that's that's a fact. That's the fact. So all right, I'm excited about this episode for a few different reasons. A lot of people they always tag us like who they want to see that we try to accommodate as much as we possibly can. So Keezier Williams if you don't know, she's the CEO of Black Upstart And yeah, she has that signature.
Speaker 5: Man, listen, you got drag it out man.
Speaker 4: It's like seven a's and then the end it's like three.
Speaker 5: Inns and then like another.
Speaker 3: Now she's really dope. She's a big proponent of financial literacy. She's a big proponent of entrepreneurships, definitely in our community and teaching, teaching entrepreneurship. She has a whole program. We're gonna talk about that. So one of the things I like about her, like if you follow her Instagram page, is that she always like posts like these Twitter posts that she puts up and it's like seven different ones, so you always got to go to the sextual. But it's like real life you got slots to left left. But it's real life, common sense stuff that people can use. And a lot of times people they've been asking us like, you know, we love all of this high finance and stuff like this, but how do I pick my full one k? Or like how do I budget? Prop? How do I start a business? So these are all things that she posts, like on a daily basis on Instagram and I'm sure all other social media outlets. Is why I follow on Instagram and also with her company, the Black up Start. They help people start businesses, like they give them the fundamentals of how to start a business so.
Speaker 2: Employed people, Like that's one of the things like we have a lot of entrepreneurs, but how many can employ people? I think that's that's commendable that point.
Speaker 5: But I love it though.
Speaker 3: So so all right, so first and foremost, thank you for joining us. Appreciate it, thank.
Speaker 5: You for having me. I have said congratulations to you, vote on your events, and I feel like I saw the Instagram stories and it was like people upon people all this black excellency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we had too. You you had an event, Black Upstart had an event, and then your lesion had an event. We didn't know we was having events, and so the events was already set, but we had events at the same time pretty much. Yah. But but it was dope.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: That's just that's just that's just that just means that the energy is out there and you know, it's the time for financial literacy and entrepreneurship.
Speaker 4: The communities already, man, so that's even more so.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us your journey how you became an entrepreneur, because, like I said off camera, but you, I like for a few different reasons, but one of the reasons is that you you have it what we call like a traditional job. We'll talk about that, but you have a company as well. A lot of time people feel like it's one or the other, right, and it's not true. Like even Troy Chroice is an educator and he's an entrepreneur as well. Entrepreneur So, but the hardest part, I think for most people is mindset. Like we will talk about strategy and all that all day long, but the mindset is the most important thing. And it's very difficult for somebody to leave or to jump off the porch and to land into somewhere where it's kind of unknown. You don't really know. It's like type walking with no safety net. So how did you start your entrepreneur journey?
Speaker 5: Okay, that's a great, great question. So I like to tell folks that the nine to five is a fixed and come. So, you work eight hours, you get paid. Eight hours, you work ten hours, you get paid, eight hours, you work twelve hours, you get paid. How many hours you get paid? Hey hour. It's a fixed income. And it's one of those things that I wasn't taught growing up. So like I was taught that the definition of success was you go to high school and you get a diploma. You go to college, you get a degree, and then you go and get a good government job with benefits, and then you retire. And that's the definition of success.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when I graduated from college, I did exactly what my mother told me to do, and I spent six years working for the federal government and I worked in counter intelligence, counter weapons, and master instruction counter terrorism. I had a clearance, a top secret sci full scope polygraph. Only thirteen thousand people in the nation have that clearance. But I would go to work every day at nine am. At five pm, I would run out as fast as I could, and during the time when I would be off of work, I would participate in endeavors that I started. And at that point I didn't consider myself an entrepreneur. So one of the endeavors that I participated in was Young and Power for Obama, which I was telling you about. And this was an initiative that galvanized young black professionals across the country to raise money for then Senator Obama. This was in two thousand and eight, Yeah, when he was Senator Obama, and it was young Black professionals from six different cities. We would host fundraisers. The fundraisers would cost anywhere between twenty to fifty dollars and we would donate one hundred percent of the money to the campaign. Before he was elected, we raised a quarter of a million dollars. And when he was elected and became President, Barack Obama mathro President. We hosted a collection of innaugural events. Reverend Al Sharpton came, We had Jesse Jackson, he was there. Oprah. She drove by the car, she waved the wave, counted I want to open one day, shake her hand. We all going to shake her hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But it was.
Speaker 5: A great event. We raised another quarter of a million dollars, so I was about half million dollars by time everything was said and done. In the entire time, I was working nine am to five pm, and I was working young in Power for Obama from six pm to about one am in the morning. But when everything ended, folks started saying, you know what I mean, Raising money for President Obama was great, but I was only interested in politics just because of him, And so folks began to really ask the question like what was next? And what came from that? Is a nonprofit that I started, Capital Cause, where I trained young black philanthropists to raise money for startup nonprofit organizations, and we had five thousand members. We raised about sixty thousand dollars and gave away five thousand dollars grands to these businesses. And still throughout all of that, I did not consider myself an entrepreneur.
Speaker 4: What inspires you to take that route?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: You raised money for politics? What said? You know what entrepreneurs are? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, So it was a six your work for the federal government. And as I was telling Rasha, my boss is switched up and I was working for white men at that time. I switched up to a white woman, and we sat down and she said to me that, you know, I don't think that you're qualified to do this work. And I was like, well, why don't you think I'm qualified? And she was like, because you don't have a PhD, you don't have a master's degree, you have a bachelor's degree, and here you are writing national security reports that the Vice President of the United States are seeing. So I'm about to switch up your job responsibilities. And she changed our responsibilities from writing these reports to organize and travel for the office. So I would go to work at nine am. If I get out of a five VM and still get paid six figures, then this will be okay. But then three months later she switched up my job responsibilities again. She was like, I just think organized and travel is too complicated for you, just like national security reports is to complicated for you. So now you're going to be printing badges for people in the office when Nazi people come and visit. And so I was like, okay, well, am I still going to be getting paid like six figures. I'll work from nine am, I'll leave at five pm. And so did that for three months, and then three months later she came back and she was like, making badges was also too complicated for me and above my pay grade. And she asked me to take my chair and follow her down a hallway and we stopped outside of a bathroom.
Speaker 4: Oh, like, literally, take the chair.
Speaker 5: Take the chair had wheels on it. We was walking, she was tipping, I was tippling with my chair. I was like, oh, Laura, where are we going? And we ended up outside of a bathroom and she said, well, I want you to sit down and for every non clear person that comes in, it'll be your job to buzz them in and out of the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: And I remember asking myself and asking her, am I still gonna get paid six figures? But at that point question changed her never changed because I was there nine am five pm. I was walking out the door. But I asked myself, like, Yo, it was great being paid six figures, but you know, work to me meant more than that, Like the value that I was creating outside out of work, raising money for Obama, helping young black philanthropists give back, that was the work that was really fulfilling. And coming to work every day and sitting outside of the bathroom watching people, well, I want to watch people do their business, but they were going there watching the door. When hit it out, they did their business. But so after about two weeks, I called it my mom and I was like, Mom, like, I can't do this anymore. I need to quit my job. And she was like, do you have anything saved up? At that point, I had about three months worth of savings and she was like, well, baby, I think you should have another job lined up. And I was like, I don't think I can do it, Like I can't come in here every single day and open this door for people. Yeah, exactly. And she was like, well, if you want to quit, baby, like I got you. And I remember quitting my job, like I quit my job and I was so excited. Have you'all ever quit it off before you could job?
Speaker 4: No, you could, Joab, I did quit.
Speaker 5: How did you feel?
Speaker 4: It was great? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean I felt excellent, Like I went running out there. I was like, oh my god, I am so free, like no more than nine of five right, Yeah? But then Friday hit It's like her friends time that I wasn't getting paid. I was telling me shod I called up unemployed and I was like, I guess I better get on this on deployment to get this check. I remember talking to the lady and I was like, yeah, I quit my job and I heard did y'all like pay fifty percent of your paycheck? So I'm just trying to figure out, like how do I submit this paperwork? And she was like, you said you quit? And I was like, yeah, I said I quit. And she was like, yeah, you don't get unemployment when you quit your job.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: I was like, did I say I quit? Like what have meant?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Could I have fire? And so she was like, yeah, that's the uneployment for you, and if there was, you wouldn't getting fifty percent of your paycheck. So I was unemployed for six weeks. And during those six weeks, a woman who worked with me with Younger Power for Obama called me and she was like, I have a job, and the job is launching a national Entrepreneurship initiative where you would teach African American undergraduate students how to start a business before they graduate from school, especially since a black undergraduate student's college degree is equivalent to a white person's high school diploma.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about that? You talk about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: So about what a black college degree is equivalent to a white high school diploma.
Speaker 5: Yes, a black person's college degree is equivalent to a white person's high school diploma, which means that a black person can go to the same high school as a white person, go to the same college as a white person, and apply for the same job as a white person, but when they get higher they're pay is separate and unequal.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think I read a statistics somewhere. It's very similar. It was like middle class black family is equivalent to a poor white family, poor white family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and black women especially, I mean black people in generally, our parents teach us to work twice as hard, to be twice as smart, to go into work and be twice as exceptional, and somehow, some way will be the same as a white person. At the end of the day, black women especially will lose eight hundred and forty thousand dollars over their working career, not because they're not smart, intelligent, or well equipped to do the job, but simply because they're black and they're women.
Speaker 3: So black women graduate college at the at the fastest rate, at the highest rate out of any ethnic group.
Speaker 5: I think that's what analysts say yeah.
Speaker 3: But they're not paid obviously at the same level they're not paid.
Speaker 5: And I think that that's why it's no question. And while black women are the fastest growing segment of entrepreneurs, like I like to tell people that, like, I don't think that black people are starting businesses because they want to be the next Black Bill Gates love Beyonce, but the next Black Bill Gates or the next Steve Jobs or the next Mark Zuckerberg. They're starting businesses because they want to be economically free. They want to be able to pay themselves with their companies refuse to pay them despite being qualified for them. That represents economic freedom and economic liberation.
Speaker 2: We had a guess who actually was talking about that exact topic, and they was saying, even with that, the entrepreneurism getting loans to start venture capital.
Speaker 3: So black women are starting businesses at the fastest rate, but they get venture capital at the smallest rate out of any ethnic group, gender group in America. So doesn't really make sense if you think about it, because it's like you would figure more entrepreneurs, you would get at least some sort of venture capital. That's what venture capitals. They lend money to entrepreneurs. But they get the least amount of funding from venture capital.
Speaker 5: I think what's interesting is that black people need to have a more dynamic conversation around funding, and so I think when it comes to VC, that percentage is absolutely true. But that's not the only type of business that black people are starting. Isn't innovation driven enterprises, which is what that is the type of businesses that qualify for venture capital. There are two types of businesses that you can start. There's a SME and there's a ide. There's a small medium sized enterprise where you can raise a friends and family round. You can go on to razoo if you're starting a nonprofit. If you're starting a Razoo is a crowdfunding platform for five on one c three nonprofit organizations where you can invite your friends to go on and donate. The only way that you can qualify to get on raezoo is if you have an IRS designation. If you have a for profit or let's say you are a sole proprietor, which means that you do business as yourself, you can go on to Indiegogo. You can go onto what a lot of people think it's an unpopular site, but go funding and you can do the same thing. You can ask your friends and family essentially to invest in your business idea or to contribute towards your business idea. But for a small medium sized enterprise, in addition to doing crowdfunding, you can also do bank loans and you can also fund your own business. That's fundamentally different than an ID an innovations driven enterprise. We're essentially going into debt by soliciting guess angel investment and also venture capital, and those people are betting on you to serve a global market, while small medium sized enterprises serve a small or regional market. So those are your nail saligns, those are your hair stylists, those are your local coffee shops.
Speaker 3: So all right, that's interesting. What's it called a ib ID?
Speaker 5: So that is an innovation driven enterprise and as me, which is a small or medium sized enterprise.
Speaker 3: Okay, So do you think that that's an issue though with Black community as a whole, where I see most businesses and the business ideas are small. The problem with small businesses that for the most part, they stay small and you can't scale it. They don't really make that much. Most majority of business owners don't make money like we know that like the average employee makes more than a business owner, like per average. One of the reasons is that most businesses are small, very small, right, like one person, So like the grocery store, well not the grocery stores, but the delis, the bodegas, if he was in the youngdegas, the is that.
Speaker 5: Yore I have a seven girl from Virginia.
Speaker 3: The barbershops, the local restaurants. Do you think that that's an issue with black entrepreneurship that it's always a lot of times not on a bigger global vision, it's more on a community based, small vision.
Speaker 5: I think it's important to know the data. So currently there are two point five to six million black entrepreneurs, but only one hundred and ten thousand of them have the capacity to employ a least one person. Now, what you're speaking about is probably the two point four million people who can't write. The hundred than ten thousand black entrepreneurs who are employers employ less than a million people, but there are eighteen point five million black people in the workforce. That means that a majority of black people work for somebody who don't look like them, which means tomorrow, if those employers were to come in and fire every single black person on the back, on the on the payroll, those black folks would be what unemployees. Yeah, and that soil right, they would be essel and they would be on employed. So black upside, I'm glad you're talking about this. What we do is we teach black entrepreneurs not just how to start a business, but how to start a business that can create a job so they don't have to go begging other people to do for them where they are capable of doing for themselves. Now, for black entrepreneurs, the average black entrepreneur grosses less than six figures in revenue, which means that a lot of black entrepreneurs are starting businesses and their lifestyle businesses, which means that they're just essentially hustling. And what a hustler does is they wake up every single day and they try to get money. While an entrepreneur wakes up every day and what they're doing is they're doing business. They're creating systems and processes so that when they're business scales, other people can work for their business outside of just them. So I think that there's a difference between the barbershop owner who probably has employees, the coffee shop owner, even if it's just them, they employ themselves and the person on the side of the street who's hustling and trying to sell to every single person that walks by them. Right, I think it's important for black people to realize the money that exists in our communities. So when I read the statistic about black entrepreneurs gross and fewer than six figures, I also read statistics about Asian entrepreneurs and white entrepreneurs and Native American entrepreneurs, and all of them grows more than six figures. In fact, Asian entrepreneurs have less entrepreneurs than Black folks, but they gross double the amount of revenue. Why because when you look at the businesses that they start, they start businesses in their own communities and then they come over to the black communities and start businesses. So people always ask me, like, okay, Kizia, what type of business would you start if somebody gave you a million dollars? And I always tell them that I would start a Chinese food delivery service, And well, can you fly rice?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, I can't fry rice. Can you fry one sign? No, I can't fry one sign. In fact, I can't cook, which is probably why I'm not married. So like if anybody on the past, I want to play like matchmaker, like I'm down for it exactly so. But when we go into a beauty supply store and a person on the other end of the counter is selling you hair grease and do rag and a good remy track and they don't look like you, we don't think twice about it, but people will laugh once twice a black woman is selling fried rice and a one time. The reason why agent entrepreneurs are able to gross over six figures and employ them is because they're not only getting money in their own community, but they are capitalizing off of the one point three trillion dollars that black people are spending every single day. And so what I like to tell black entrepreneurs is that you have to look at what we're currently spending our money on. Every single year, the Nielsen Consumer Index Report publishes how black people spend their money. The top five things are refrigerated drinks, dry vegetables, ethnic care, care goods and supplies. Contraceptives is one, diverse is another one laundry detergent. I know that y'all know about true that's a black on laundry detergent company. But when you look at the top five businesses the Black people normally start, it is admin services, waste for mediation, third is other. So that's like an amalgamation maybe like a compilation of many different businesses. And what you don't see is alignment. When you look at the types of businesses that other entrepreneurs start, they are prevalent on the list where our dollars are being spent black peoples. Again, one point three trillion dollars is not a blank check for other communities to sign.
Speaker 4: So real quick, you said that you train entrepreneurs.
Speaker 2: Obviously I'm thinking through a curriculum one, but you also do a hands on approach.
Speaker 4: What does that look like?
Speaker 5: Okay? So for the Black of Side curriculum, we host a six day pop up school and it happens over three weeks and six days, and during that six days we teach idiation process, the minimum viable product creation, business campus development, and in the end, we teach them how to pitch. Yeah, so that's what we do with Black Upstart. We start with crowdfunding and I know we had just had a conversation about crowdfunding, but we teach them essentially how to turn their contacts into capital.
Speaker 4: Contact like capital.
Speaker 5: So it starts with that before we even see them on the first day of class.
Speaker 4: And how many teachers just you or is it a team?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: So there is faculty. And one of the things that I love about Black Opstar that I definitely should mention is we always teach in a black environment. So, like right now you all are in Southeast DC, and we started off in the Microsoft Innovation Center, which is located on Saint Elizabeth East Campus in Southeast and DC. They say south, Like what south? South? We have black faculties. So we have one faculty come in every single day and they teach on a very specific topic. We have contractors that come in and help with website development, all black, black photographers, black videographers, and when they pitch, they pitch their innovation in the community. And so now you have black consumers connecting with black entrepreneurs. And for us, it's about recycling the black dollar.
Speaker 3: All right, dope, dope. So the next type, we're going to talk about some different ways that people can get up and running and get into the game as far as entrepreneurship concerned. All right, So we're gonna talk about some actionable items and some systems to help people out. All right, So the audiation.
Speaker 5: Process, the audiation process.
Speaker 3: Audiation process can explain what that is.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. So we teach the audiation process, and it's a six step process that teaches new small business entrepreneurs how to launch their enterprise in less than thirty days and with less than one thousand dollars in startup capital. So the first step is your problem statement. So please note that it's not a business idea problem statement.
Speaker 3: Problem statement.
Speaker 5: What type of problem are you trying to solve and for whom? So for black upstart, it would be black entrepreneurs have a problem starting businesses that create jobs. Normally, entrepreneurs get hung up on the first process because they want to tell you about their idea. That's their baby. And so we say, you need to divorce yourself from your idea, talk about your problem, and your problems should be broad enough so that there are several different solutions that can address that problem. Number two is called investigation, and what that is is market research. And so with market research, what you do is you look at other companies that are solving that problem, and you look at a few things you see if they're sme we talked about that earlier. A small medium sized enterprise or innovation driven enterprise. You look and see if they have employees, because you want to know if the business has scaled, and you look and see if they have if they sell products and services. After that, you list five things that you like about that company and five things that you would change, and each of that each of those items on that list should address the problem that you're trying to solve. Now, when you move on to step three, which is called the idea expression, you use the five things that you would change to create your unfair competitive advantage. So for Black Upstart, we looked at other businesses that were training entrepreneurs, and we realized that businesses weren't really saying that I want to train black entrepreneurs. They were dressing it up in coded language like we want to help people of color, we want to help minorities. Are your disadvantaged? Come over here, let me teach you how to start a business. So like, we knew that our unfair competitive advantage would be that we would explicitly state that we would train black entrepreneurs, and this would be a one hundred percent black experience. So for number three, again you put your unfair competitive advantage in there and you say I sell this to this particular person and say how it's different. It should be one sentence. Usually when you talk to an entrepreneur and you ask them about their business, they're gonna tell you a whole book, all right, because it's their baby. But if you can't say it in a sentence, if it can't be like your elevator picks, you know, if it said it's a sentence, then it's too long. Also, if you get to step number three and your business idea has been shifted or changed, or you don't have better understanding on why you're doing business, and in that way, then that means that you have to start over because you never got a divorce. So step number four is your customer demographic. And for a customer demographic, you're gonna list out twenty different descriptors about the person who is looking for a solution to that problem. And that looks like how old are they, how much money do they make, what is their race, what is their gender? Who do they follow on social media? Where do they currently work? Because you cannot make the assumption that they're looking for your new business idea which doesn't exist yet.
Speaker 4: These questions will format it already.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then number five is your user persona. You take all of those descriptors and you tell a story. So like Lakisha is twenty six and she works at booz Allen Hamilton, and she makes sixty two thousand dollars, So you tell a story. And then last is your innovation. And an innovation is something that is new, original, important that you can sell to other people for profit. And it should be an MVP, which is a minimum viable product creation. What can you make with a minimum amount of resources that people can actually pay you for. Okay, you need to be able to make it with one thousand dollars. You need to be able to launch it in thirty days. And the reason why we set that parameter is because entrepreneur's dream big. So you might be like, what I want is a nail salon, but perhaps all you can afford is a pop up shop where people come and you do their nails on a Saturday at a community center that you've rented, and that cost you two hundred dollars just to pop up in three hundred dollars for supplies. The reason why I say that is because once you get small right, once you learn how to use what you have, start where you are and do what you can, then you learn how to start agile. So that's the six step ideation process.
Speaker 3: You have it.
Speaker 4: That was detailed detail and the only.
Speaker 5: Thing that I want to say with the entrepreneurs, sometimes people don't define entrepreneurs, but the entrepreneur is someone who starts a business that has the chance of two things. That's profit and success. We like to say that would black upstart that if you're selling a product or service, then nobody wants to buy. You don't have a business.
Speaker 4: You have a high difference. How many entrepreneurs are you looking for? How many do you guys take?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it per year? How do y'all do it? So I'm sorry answered okay that I was gonna say. Is it money that's allocated for the amount of business you can or entrepreneurs that you can take?
Speaker 5: So it's competitive. We accept between ten to fifteen people per class. We get about two hundred applications for each class. When we first started, it was tuition based and so we would train our entrepreneurs to raise their tuition, which was five hundred dollars per person. The average entrepreneur would raise anywhere between seven hundred to one thousand dollars, and every dollar that they raised above their tuition they kept and used to make their minimum viable product creation. But then as a business matured, we partnered with CDFI's, so those are community development financial institutions. So in North Carolina, we work with Carolina Small Business Development Fund and what happens is they actually CDFI, So that's a community development financial institution and they take bets on entrepreneurs that banks won't. So if you haven't made your first seale, they're more willing to make a five thousand dollars loan to you and take that risk, and the government backs them in the event that you default on the loan. So I say that to say that we partner with CDFIs and they cover the cost of tuition and in exchange for that, entrepreneurs get free education and they pipeline into funding opportunities. So with cd.
Speaker 4: Earners, what's up?
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts of digital tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 4: What matters most ready.
Speaker 6: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are born, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success, little by little day after day.
Speaker 4: It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring.
Speaker 2: To safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsor jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 5: With Carolina Small Business Development Fund, every single entrepreneur graduated with access to fifty thousand dollars in funding inside their business.
Speaker 3: So all right, that's crazy. So once they started with the fifty thousand, then what because now it's like you have the money, but you have to actually do it. Because it's one thing to actually research and have all the information, but execution is always the most important thing. So like as far as is that part of the coaching, like for people, like the execution once you've reached the point where you're actually, Okay, I have my MVP, I have all of the elevator pitch, everything that you just outlined, I have that. I have it. It's perfect. My business plan is perfect. Now what I mean like, what's the execution part of it?
Speaker 5: And so I think that's a really good question. Our CDFIs work with the entrepreneurs over a year to scale their business. And so you know, we talked about business card entrepreneurs or people running around here all the time talking about I got a business, I got a business. All they got is a business card. So with them they qualify for up to fifty thousand dollars in capital. But first they do have to show proof of concept and that's where that sixth step innovation comes in. We talked about how the boot camp ends. The boot camp ends with a graduation, and that graduation is not your traditional pitch competition, Like it's not you stand up there, you tell people your idea and then there is a winner, because that's out the way business parts. It's not shark tank. It's not two or three people decide that your business is viable and all of a sudden you win. No, you know your business is viable when you're making sales. And so how our graduation day works is entrepreneurs bring their innovations to the graduation and people walk around and they give them real time feed forward on their innovation and they respond to if they want to if they like the innovation by actually buying it. And so they already have an MVP that the CDFI helps them position in the marketplace, and they monitor their salves over the year and as their business grows, then their access to funding does as well as.
Speaker 2: Their business grows, right, is there still a role that black Upstart plays as the business takes off.
Speaker 5: So that's a good question because we talked about our businesses having events right on the same day. So we're now launching skillhouse You and skillhouse You is an opportunity for entrepreneurs and also wealth creators as well to get additional training after that. Right, So the starting point, it's always really exciting when somebody first buys your stuff. I'm sure y'all remember when somebody buyt y'all's cuebody got your first little cash hat or whatever y'all use, Like, yeah, you know, but staying a business, right, it's a lot harder than that. And so for black ofps starting through skillhouse You, what we're doing is we're teaching people like how do you read a cash flow statement? Like how do you engage in account? And if you can't afford an account? And how do you use quick and loans?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: What are those very specific skills that you need, like what is an NDA, what is a non compete? You know? And when you're looking for visibility, like how do you market when you don't have a budget? And I think sometimes we do focus our conversation so much on starting that we don't get to the other side of the conversation is how do you scale past just you.
Speaker 3: So business plans? Do you do business plans?
Speaker 5: We don't, We do business canvases.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's because a lot of people have asked us, can you cover business planning on your leaders Because like each week we cover different topics and we haven't covered business plans. But what you just laid out kind of sounds like a business plan. So what's a business canvas?
Speaker 5: So ideation process actually mirrors a lot of what you'll find in a business canvas. That is a one page document that ask a lot of the same questions that you see on a business plan. So it's going to ask you what is your value proposition and who is your customer segment? And what are your cost structures. It's going to ask you what are your key partnerships, what are your key relationships? But it's all on one page and it challenges you to think through some of the critical components of your business so that you can start up in a lean way. And I'm sure y'all probably heard the terminology like lean startup, right, Like how do you start, get proof of concept and get to the point where you actually want to commit the time to write a fifty or sixty page business plan. The problem with most entrepreneurs is they'll write fifty or sixty pages. Then they'll get started and they'll try to sell something and nobody will buy it, and they'll think they have to write another business plan all over again. The business campus being one page and asking those critical questions is just on one sheet of paper allows for people to get to testing a lot quicker. So that's what we teach.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what about obstacles the entrepreneur's face? Can we talk about some? The biggest one is funding, That's the biggest one.
Speaker 5: Right, I wouldn't say that's the biggest one.
Speaker 3: The biggest one is I think.
Speaker 5: The biggest obstacle facing black entrepreneurs is trying to succeed in business as a white person.
Speaker 3: What's that mean?
Speaker 5: So Beyonce Beyonce rapping about like I might just be the next black Bill Gates and the making that was var y'all like when.
Speaker 4: I said that.
Speaker 5: But I love her. I love her. However, I think the deseroneous like I do a lot of work in Atlanta, And there was one particular experience that I had where I ran into a room. I really did run into the room because I'm a type of personality, and there was another person run into the room to the facilitator, and he was asking the kids like, who wants to be the next Black Book Gates? Who wants to be the next Mark Zuckerberg? Who wants to be the next Steve Jobs? And all the kids were really excited because it was like a coding a free coding camp. And I was excited too. I was like, oh my gosh, this is so great. Everybody's going to be a Billa Gates. But then I realized that the facilitator was lying to the children because no matter how hard they tried, they could never grow up one to be white, two to be a white male, three to be a white male benefiting from privilege. And so the more I reflected on it, the more I realized that we just don't have to teach white male privilege or the white entrepreneurial the blueprint, that there is a black entrepreneurial blueprint right So like in Silicon Valley, I think no one ever talks about the guy who invented the predecessor to the Nintendo, which is a model f gaming system. Right, he dined as equals with Steve Jobs. No one talks about how Mary McCoy but Thune raised money to start her business, which was selling meat paths to the mineworkers down the street. She started with a one room school house before she got to Bethune Cookman University. More contemporary examples like Asa Ray. People want to talk about how she's on HBO now with Insecure but Awkward Black Girl was funded by a part of her salary and fundraising on YouTube where she introduced her series for free. So I think for black entrepreneurs, we have to learn how our predecessors did it without the benefit of white venture capital dollars or without the benefit of banks allocating us money. One other example, because I'm from Richmond, Maggie L. Walker started and well she was the first woman at that not black woman, but the first woman to charter a bank. She funded that bank with charitable contributions. Do you know how many black people go to a charity every single Sunday, which is the church? Those are five and one C threes. A five and one C three funded a for profit bank. So I'm saying, if we could study history, I think then we would be able to figure out better ways to be successful.
Speaker 2: We gotta study it and highlight it because a lot of times, especially when school, right when US history is taught, yes this is definitely omitted. So highlighting it, understanding it, and study. And now that we have access to the internet and we have access to social media where these stories can be high you know, the future generations there will be different stories now.
Speaker 5: I feel like, yes, yes, or I think they will be remembering of the stories that have been on.
Speaker 4: Top create one right now, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: So what would you say some other some other obstacles are outside of that.
Speaker 5: Outside of that, I mean you said funding, and I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I just.
Speaker 5: Fund so funding was coming. We talked earlier about the difference between a hustler and an entrepreneur. I think that that's important. I think the other thing is is that I think that people get caught up on this whole thing about were you born an entrepreneur or can you become an entrepreneur? You know, most people are like I was born this way, I woke up like this, right, But no, I think entrepreneur can absolutely be taught. You talked about us living in an information economy, Like, we are fortunate to live in a time period where information is basically at your fingertips. So, like, what I like to tell people who want to start a business and people who want to create wealth is don't swim in the ocean of knowledge and drown and ignorance. So that's important. The last thing I think that I would say is I don't think that you have to be the smartest person in the room to be a great entrepreneur. So people normally think you have to have a PhD. You know, we talked about that when we first got started, or you know, they think that you have to be a straight a student. Like I graduated from high school with like a two point three GPA. I wasn't the brightest student, but I was motivated and I was committed, and I thought that, you know, with me, if I could try hard enough, you know, if I if I could really commit myself to a passion, then I could you know, I could overcome the obstacle just one quick So I'm the story though, gosh, I don't thinking about his name. Okay, I'm not gonna tell that story.
Speaker 4: What's the guy.
Speaker 5: Hold on, who's the guy who had the pink? Y'all? Ain't never had a perm in your head?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: Box, what's the name?
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 2: We just actually covered the industry and we just did that whole episode the way the barb he had any.
Speaker 3: You got the band in it?
Speaker 5: Oh? Oh yeah like this stuff? Want to Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, So in the last semeon, we're going to talk about some financial literacy stuff and things that every day people can use in their day to day life to make better financial decisions and just become more knowledge all the way around. All right, So now we want to talk about un c F, but first I'll talk about some financial literacy topics because I know it's something that you're you're passionate about, especially like on social media Instagram and stuff like that. So all right, you said that when you talk about making smart decisions a lot, like mindset budgeting. I see you you speak about that a lot. Can you talk about that the importance of.
Speaker 5: It, that's important. I'm passionate about entrepreneurship and we were just talking about that, Like, I really think that black people should consider entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship entrepreneurship means that you can be entrepreneurial at your job. But I don't think that every black person should be an entrepreneur? Do I think that every black person should be an owner of assets?
Speaker 3: And so?
Speaker 5: On Instagram? You're right with professor Keys. I talk a lot about how people can be owner of assets because I do think that if you can multiply your streams of income, you can achieve the same type of economic freedom that I believe the entrepreneurship provides.
Speaker 3: So like, what does that mean, like multiplied like stream of income? No, like you said, like everybody can be an owner, like an owner.
Speaker 5: Of a house, owner of assets, owner of assets and assets. I think you can talk about multiple assets like you can, yes, own your home, you can own stocks, you can own bonds, you can invest in your four on one K, so like that type.
Speaker 3: Of own Okay, So at least because you said that one of the things you're really passionate about is four one k? Yes, So why are you passionate about four one k?
Speaker 5: So when I was going to get that good government job.
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 5: Always, Actually, my very first job was as a receptionist, okay, So, and that was where I got a government job, and I remember when I first got my first paycheck, my mom was like, well, did you invest in your four one K? And I was like, well, what's that? And she was like retirement. I was like, mom, like one, like why no, I'm trying to like I'm trying to go to happy hour and she was like, you bet a happy hour dot four one K? Yes, yes, And I'm very grateful for that because people will ask me sometimes like what did I learn about financial literacy? And I really learned it from my mother before I started teaching it to myself. And she was like, the earlier you start investing in your four on one K, the better. And she was like, and it's going to be difficult if you're like actually taking your money and investing it. Talk to your employer and ask them about their retirement plan and usually they deduct it from your check before you even see it posted in your direct deposit. And she challenged me to also ask them about matching. So I didn't even know what that meant, but she's like, go ask them about matching. And at that time, my employer was matching six percent, so six percent of my salary, that's what that means. So I think at that plas making twenty nine thousand dollars, so whatever six percent of that was. Every dollar I contributed up to that amount, they would match it. So my mom was like, that's free money. Do you like free money? And I was like, well, I mean, is that a rhetorical question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like free money.
Speaker 5: And it turns into six thousand dollars and so it just automated. When I left that job, I rolled it into an individual retirement account and IRA and every single job that was one of the first questions that I asked, do you have a retirement apout? How can I contribute? And do you match? And at my age now in my thirties, I told him early I was fifty two thirties. I happened to look at my four one K earlier this year because my friend we were having a conversation. He was like, yeah, I got like four hundred thousand dollars in my four one cous like he got what. I was like, let me see what I got up in my IRA, my four one K. At that point I was working at UNCFS, so I had a four h three B account. The difference four one K is only for for profits four three B is for nonprofit organizations. They both do the same thing. You invest in four one ks and I had almost two hundred thousand dollars and I had not looked at it, and so I was like, you know what, what if I started actively managing it? Like this was one of the best pieces of advice that my mom gave me. And there's one statistic I want to share that's all Motley fool that if you start investing one hundred and twenty four dollars a week at the age of twenty five into your retirement account, you can essentially retire with a million dollars assuming a six percent return on your investment portfolio. And that means that at twenty four you can be or twenty five you can be contributed one hundred and twenty seven dollars a week. You can do that at thirty five, forty six, fifty four and that number never has to change in order to reach the one million dollar mark. So with all these people on Instagram talking about like twenty twenty is about like a bunch of millionaires, but if you ask them what they're plan is, they don't have it. It's going to be like a really good opportunity for them to start twenty twenty vision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you manage your own portfolio with the phone k, like you pick your own funds.
Speaker 5: I don't, but I'm starting to really learn. I didn't even know that that was an option.
Speaker 4: But I know a guy that could help.
Speaker 5: You know a guy, Please, we'll talk.
Speaker 4: The door bus.
Speaker 5: But one thing that I did learn is that you can select a target base accountget Yeah, that's that's based on your age and so like they basically invest the risk level according to the younger you are the risks your investments that you can make, and then the older you are the less risk because you're getting closer to retire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the target target day fund is always good, I think, a good option because it's it's like an auto pilot. Yeah, but you know the thing with retirement accounts is that you want to be aggressive when you're young and conservative as you get older.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So a lot of times it's hard for people to kind of change it up themselves manage their own portfolio because you got so much stuff going on. But the target date is like designed to become more conservative as you're closer to that target date of your retirement.
Speaker 5: I got a question for you. Do you know that God should be talking to.
Speaker 2: Her shout out to you and the friend who had the four hundred thousand and four one K even having that type of conversation.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: There's not many people that I know outside of the group of Alisius team, but that have those type of conversations. Yeah, And a lot of times people say you will go as far as your conversations taking.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know what I mean, So that you need tweet that that was good, you can put that. Okay, I'll put that all that.
Speaker 3: And for one K is that's something that is not the most sexy investment, right, but it is practical.
Speaker 5: It's very practical.
Speaker 3: And I always tell people like you got to put different assets away for different things. So the full one K is for your retirement. It shouldn't be your only investment that's you have in life, but for a long term retirement savings is great. Especially like you said, if they match, that's free money. She'll always try if you can try to contribute at least up to the match. Yeah, because that's pretty much free money, right.
Speaker 5: And the other thing that I didn't know until I started doing my research as well, is that you can use some of the money in your retirement account for very specific purposes because if you withdraw early there will be the penalties. But you can use like ten thousand dollars for a down payment on your first home. You can use ten thousand dollars of it for educational expenses. You can use another ten thousand if you have any emergency like health considerations. That's thirty thousand dollars if you invest that much, if it's in your portfolio, that you can actually use.
Speaker 3: And another thing with the four one case, A lot of flexibility with the four one K is that you can borrow from it time, like up to fifty percent, up to fifty thousand. So but the good thing with the full I mean, it's pros and cons obviously because you're borrowing from your retirement, but if you have no other place to access money most of the time, most people like the most money that they have saved is in a four to one K, so now you can borrow from that. It's not a low interest rate. Then you went from a bank it was like three four percent, So you're pretty much borrowing from yourself and you're paying back yourself as opposed to taking a bank loan, let's say of ten percent, or just using your credit card at twenty one nineteen percent, you're borrowing at a much lower rate, and you're borrowing from yourself, so you're paying yourself back. So it's a lot of flexibility that people don't fully. I think a lot of times people these are just basic general investments. But it's like, this is what's gonna for the average American, right, this is going to make you a millionaire. Absolutely, your house a four to one k. Like you said, most people aren't going to start a business. We hope that everybody does, but it's just not realistic, right, Most people are not gonna have a million different exotic investments and a million dollars off bitcoin. It's just not gonna happen. But it's very practical to have a million dollars in your retirement, a home. Stuff like this. So I think, like these are conversations that outside of the really exciting sexy stuff, we got to have these conversations as well, for sure. For sure. So I saw I saw something that you you have put I think it was yesterday where you said that I guess a relationship had ended, because yeah, you put it on Instagram, so it.
Speaker 4: Is we're watching everything. We're watching everything.
Speaker 3: So the reason so it's holiday time, it's holiday time. It's holiday time, right, so people have to be responsible with this special right, and you got to think about generational wealth over short term gratification. So how do you feel about that?
Speaker 5: About the guy?
Speaker 3: Well, just general, just the whole general.
Speaker 4: Can you give us a paraphrase version of what happened?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was. I was dating this guy. We went out for a couple of months, and he asked me to buy him some really expensive shoes for his birthday. In fact, eight hundred ball maid ball made.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 5: Only been like two months maybe to on a possible month, like like do I love it?
Speaker 3: Don't you feel?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 3: That was like a test that.
Speaker 5: Was like not that much. So And the conversation came after I had just told him that I had paid off all of my debt like credit card, car, student loans, so like we were celebrating and it was like, well, now that your credit card is like on a zero dollar ballance, like you can afford these shoes?
Speaker 6: No, bro?
Speaker 5: Like my interest right, you just said it was double digit? Are you about to make you put eight hundred dollars like on and so he a coup of me. And I actually think that was a good decision. I knew it was a good decision. So yeah, So for me, it really is about being fiscally responsible and not buying liabilities and masking it as an asset like that shoe is not going to in my opin, I don't know much about shoes. I don't think it's going to appreciate and.
Speaker 4: Value notty right high cause value very lower. Turn.
Speaker 3: Now it's emotions a lot of times too. It's people have to be you have to think long term, yeah, obviously, but you can't get caught up in short term gratification ratification. Yeah, and I see you talking about that. And also I see you talking about a lot like even with like relationships. I think that's important, Like when you say that like high data balls say, like I see you post a lot about relationships, and it's like that's a big component of wealth, don't they. Yeah, right, And it's like a lot of times like who you're with will dictate like or at least have a part to play in how you think, right, because it's like peer pressure, like if you're around somebody that's constantly telling you, like, we need to get this assets, we need to do this. Right, you're gonna automatically like if you're around your friends and saying that, or if you're around somebody it's like, let's just go to the mall, let's go on. Your mind's gonna be on that as well. Right, So, I what do you feel about that? You know?
Speaker 5: Like, I mean, I think he definitely wasn't watch my videos when he asked that question. But like one of the things that I like saying is that we're not flexing with liabilities anymore. Like this running around with Gucci like two weeks after you already was like you know, hashtag and f Gucci, you know, like you know, it's not that that's not the new flex. And what I really love about this whole movement that earned your leisures doing the Black up Start is getting into is that people are realizing that assets is the new flex. We do talk. I do talk a lot about relationships and the importance of breaking generational curses of poverty. I think sometimes we romanticize to struggle, Like we sit here, we talk about.
Speaker 3: Oh, you was started from the bottom bay, we came from from the bottom.
Speaker 5: But they don't want to get to the But we hear part right, And I think that the person that you partner with definitely does have an influence on how you are going to live that life. When you get married to someone, when you're in relationship with someone, you begin sharing a lot of things with them, And it's more than just emotions. It can be finances too. When you start making those you start making those joint decisions together, like buying the house, you gonna be talking about who has bad credit, who doesn't have bad credit? You know, like when you're talking about, hey, we need to invest in a four to one case, so a percentage of my paycheck is already being you know, contributed towards this, your partner maybe like, well, how come we can't go on vacation this year? And so I think it's important for people to get on that same page yes with one another.
Speaker 3: So no, it's important, and it's a conversation that we don't have a lot and yeah, we need to have like a whole episode on relationship.
Speaker 4: No, somebody actually asks me.
Speaker 2: A good friend of mine was saying that, you know, we talked about credit, But what happens when your spouse doesn't have great credit and the pressure of that.
Speaker 4: Or they ruin your credit or they ruin yours because they don't have it.
Speaker 3: You got a co sign a car for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that those are like those are the conversations that you should be having dating.
Speaker 5: I'm not married. I'm not in a relationship right now, but I have been very intentional about when I do, you know, meet someone that I'm interested in. We do go out, like on our first and second day, I'm asking like what are you reading?
Speaker 4: Like what are you?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that that could be a question for the third day. First the second day, I'm like, well, what are you interested in? Like, you know, it's payday, so I just bought to read Like do you got a robin Hood account? You don't know? Persons looking at me cross that like that, like that what you mean?
Speaker 4: Like exactly?
Speaker 5: So you know, That's how I know exactly where the mindset is. There's a guy actually that I connected with who teaches about socks, and we connected on the phone and like literally for four hours we were talking about exchange trade and funds, real estate investment trusts. Like he was telling me how he wanted to like invest in housing, like we were talking about, Like I didn't know. I just started repairing my own credit because I didn't know when you pay off all of your debt like that can drop your credit or like I literally close my credit card after I paid it all, and thirty days later when I got the notification that my credit had dropped, Like at that point, it was too late to reopen the card and I had that car for twelve years. He and I had that conversation about what it took to rebuild our credit. Like, I think that we need to change how we start connecting with people, whether it's friends or whether it's a person who you're in a relationship with or trying to get in a relationship.
Speaker 4: Conducting not speaking conducting conducting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a fact that don't don't play it. So don't do that. Don't play it.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's a story behind it.
Speaker 3: Like I always say, positive pair pressure. Positive pair pressure is something that we learned early on as far as like even your your friends. Yeah right, it's like we know negative peer pressure. Yeah, obviously everybody knows that, but positive pressures, like if you're around people that's like doing well, Like if you're in a school and everybody's doing well. Nobody wants to be the dumbest person in class, so you're gonna naturally push yourself to not be the dumbest person in class, right, And that's positive fear pressure. So it's the same thing with finance, Like if you're around people that are making smart decisions, that's doing things, that's you know, buying real estate, you're not gonna be the one slacker. You don't want to be that one slacker. You want to have good credit like your friends have. So I think that these conversations are dope and it's really changing the narrative, especially in our community, because it for a long time it's not It wasn't nobody was having this conversation. Nobody better conversations. Well that's what we're doing that. So all right, well, thank you, thank you for coming.
Speaker 5: My god, our thank you for having me at all.
Speaker 3: So how can the people contact you? How can they get information on Black Upstart, any events you have coming up, what's supposed to deal?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they can follow the Black Upstart, that's the tag Black up Start. They can also follow me at Kizi at mw k e z I a MW. We will be hosting boot camps across the nation in twenty twenty in six different markets, so North Carolina, Baltimore, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tulsa, Oklahoma. We're going back to Johannesburg, South Africa, and we'll release the whole list of cities the first week of January. And each one of those experiences are sponsored by cdf i's So we'd love to train up entrepreneurs and give you access to funding upon graduation.
Speaker 3: So all right, don't we gotta we gotta collapse on? Yeah, sure, South Africa.
Speaker 5: You can get food out.
Speaker 3: Heah, let's do that.
Speaker 4: That conversation.
Speaker 5: That's today.
Speaker 3: I love it, Troy some housekeeping it on.
Speaker 2: Shout everybody on patreon dot com. You know that's all Proud to pay program. We got some new members. Want to give them a shout out. Chris Ken, Ricardo and Sirita. I hope I pronounced that right. They kill you didn't pronounce how you know, lady? That happens a lot of it. Like Yo, man, I love my shoutout, but you left the letter out. I'm trying, Sirita. If I mispronounced it, I love you still, thank you for signing up for Early Leisure uh for Patreon that gives you access now to early leisure dot com.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're a Tier four or five member, you have access.
Speaker 2: To our new online school Man University and Rashot has to merch on. So that's that's on this way the new merch for Earnily Leisure University. And obviously I'm wearing the assets over liabilities.
Speaker 4: It's so the season. It's cold in New York. It's cold d C. So I get you a hoodie and keeps a point man.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it allows us to do things like this, come to DC and touch base with some people who are doing some amazing things.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. And once again in the merch eyl University to the new wave that we're on right now. It's really really dope platform. Maybe can teach a class for us what we do, Yeah for sure, we do. We do three classes a week and we have of like guest lecturers that we kind of rotate from our alumn that you're an alum, that's what we call our guests. So yeah, Yo University is really really dope platform that we're really proud of. And once again d M v Thank you for the hospitality Atlanta. We will see you guys soon January.
Speaker 4: That's a fact you put in your calendar.
Speaker 3: Five up for sure. So and the book tip of this week is, uh, the African American African American entrepreneurship then and now. So this whole conversation, well the large majority of conversation was about entrepreneurship. So there's something that we want to just keep encouraging people to become entrepreneurs, but not just come become entrepreneur just to say you're an entrepreneur to win, like you don't want to just play the game. You want to actually win and that's.
Speaker 4: Help other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And that's what happened. The plan is about, and that's what having strategy is about. So that's what it's about. So once again, thank you guys for rocking with us. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Peace Pace, you just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your job more visibility at indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need