Speaker 1: Any switch trips it high.
Speaker 2: Understand deep to shutter field, and it's gone, Wow.
Speaker 3: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam home line swing.
Speaker 2: Good time to.
Speaker 1: The soup.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot to catch up on.
Speaker 4: This is gonna be the first of probably a three episode series.
Speaker 1: Here you got arm lighton Elijah Evans.
Speaker 4: We have to recap the trade deadline, and we're not even gonna get to the trades that happened on the actual deadline day itself, because we've got trades from the days before that we still need to break down. There are so many prospects move in here, so many big trades, but also some smaller ones that I think are gonna be really fun to highlight.
Speaker 1: Some intriguing prospects change in hands.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: We got the top end guys, the top one hundred guys moving. We've got some of the under the radar like Arizona, Florida, Complex League guys that are just in low way that I think are intriguing to break down, and everything in between.
Speaker 1: So very excited to do that.
Speaker 4: We do have, of course, the Tarrek Scooble blockbuster to talk about on here.
Speaker 1: I'm very glad and we'll get more into it that our audience.
Speaker 4: I think we'll have a measured take and understanding on that, because that's what the call up is all about. But we'll break that down and then several other trades in between. Gonna have a lot of trades to talk about this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, there is a lot to cover.
Speaker 5: We were talking about how to even break this up, and I was like, Okay, let's just start with like pre deadline day because a ton happened, I mean Monday. Yeah, as we were recording here on Tuesday. The actual deadline day on Monday was ridiculous, Like it was NonStop. There was a couple breaks here and there, but it was truly like a trade within every five to ten minute, and it's the entire day. It was pretty insane. So today we're gonna start with these pre deadlines. Obviously leading the way is the school trade, and then we've got a bunch of other trades that are still really fun in their own right, even some really small ones that I know you have some guys, you think there are some nice little sleeper prospect gets later in this episode, but starting it off with a bang Man Trek Scooble goes to the Los Angeles Dodgers, obviously Zayr Hope, River Ryan and Brady Smith going over to the Tigers.
Speaker 3: You know, the internet reaction.
Speaker 5: As you alluded to earlier, like pretty ridiculous, I think to see the amount of people that were like, oh my god, the Dodgers fleeced them. I think we mentioned this talking a few days ago, like was there a better individual prospect available for the Tigers than Zayr Hope? And that doesn't mean the Brewers and Raised systems were bad because those systems are loaded. Was there a better individual prospect than Zyr Hope? My guess is no, given that this is the trade that ends up going through for Trek School, and.
Speaker 4: And then it went through like a day in change before, almost two days before, right, and I think people were.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, why not wind it down? Whatever?
Speaker 4: Like no, like that was always going to be I think the move that they wanted to make ahead of the time. You were going to get everybody's best offers and go from there so then all of the other teams could pivot, right, the Brewers still end up pivoting not to get anybody like of Schooble's caliber, But they went out and got guys. The race still went out and pivoted. The difference is you were never going to get Theo Gillen, who is a top ten prospect probably in baseball on our next update. You were never going to get Jesus Miday. Now Luis Pania maybe could have been the best prospect. But that's where it starts to become eye of the beholder. Like we have Paania ranked higher, something I always talk about, and this is something that you know, I think is a very fair thing to acknowledge, and I try to now balance this more. It is so much easier for us in our chairs, without our jobs on the line, to rank the further off prospects with higher ceilings a little bit ahead of the guys with more proximity. And Zayer Hope used to be one of those guys, right, But now Zayer Hope is a guy that is torching double a, pitching ten homers in his last twenty two games and is for a trip away call up soon and now is tracking for next year. Louis Pana, while ranked higher by a lot of outlets US included, though Hope was.
Speaker 1: Going to close that gap on our update coming up soon.
Speaker 4: Has been good but had a health scare, is still finding his footing in high A. And at the end of the day, if the Tigers valued Hope above above.
Speaker 1: You know, loose Penia wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 4: I don't have any information on that, but I don't think it would be crazy to value that proximity. And it's not like Painy is sticking it short and which like you also have Hope moving over to a corner.
Speaker 1: It's all about the bats with these guys.
Speaker 4: And you've got a guy that's improved his contact right by six percent ince out of your Hope, who's improved his swing decisions, who's made subtle swing improvements to you know, just be a more well rounded hitter while making the leap up to double A. I don't think it's it's crazy to like Hope more. Possibly And the other side is like, I think there was an opportunity there for maybe the package would be a little bit bigger because of the second piece. And I think this is where the big contention became. You know, the whole thing about River Ryan and him being eight thousand years old. He's the oldest man on earth. Whatever it may be. Logan Henderson, I'd obviously rather have than than River Ryan, because he somehow has another year of control, he has more success at the big league level. But there's a case that River Ryan just has a better pitch mix and he needs to stay healthy, he needs to show that he can handle the workload. But this is the thing that I think gets really frustrating for me and the discourse around River Ryan is that, you know, we forget this was a twenty three year old. He was a two way guy at UNC Pembroke, I think it's D two or whatever, but.
Speaker 1: Never really solely focused on pitching.
Speaker 4: Was drafted as a hitter, ends up making the switch over to the mound professionally, was borderline like a released guy before fully transitioning to the mount and showing some things gets acquired for Matt Beatie if you remember, and then you know the Dodgers turn him into what he's turned into. But when you start on the mound full time at twenty three, you also have a Tommy John surgery which wipes out a year and a half, which every pitcher has. You're gonna have a weird circumsanc here where we have a twenty eight year old who's still a prospect. That said he debuted in twenty four at big league success. Then it's just a weird situation too, where everyone always ends up getting blocks on the Dodgers, and it's just a weird spot. This is a guy with middle rotation stuff, and I think you're not going to find many evaluators out there that don't think that this is a really good pitch.
Speaker 1: Mix with River Ryan.
Speaker 4: It's mid nineties fastball, he gets up to the upper nineties, good shape, throws a ton of strikes, nasty slider, good cutter, like I can go through each of the pitch grades and it's ridiculously good stuff. That's why he was the fortieth rank prospect for US. I have a sixty on the heater, sixty on the slider, fifty five on the cutter, fifty five on the curveball, fifty on the change up in fifty command. That's a monster. Health is a question. He's twenty eight, but I don't care what he looks like at the end of his years of control. All that matters is the years of control For a trade like this, and you've got River Ryan for four years after this year, where yeah, he's gonna be thirty two at the end of it. To me, these are really good years that a teams pay a lot of money for for pitchers, usually when they're free agency.
Speaker 5: I mean at the end of the day, dude, Like, if he's a four starter for four years in Detroit, that value for ten starts at Derek Scooble is already there. And that's not even talking about the headliner, which is clearly as I your hope and a guy who was twenty three homers this season in Double A as a twenty one year old, someone that you had as a top ten guy at one point because of how much how bullish you were on what he can be as a hitter. So you're talking about a guy with mid rotation upside and then paired with a guy you could be a thirty home or outfielder if things click at the big league level for him. So it's the combination of two top fifty prospects for US and both guys that have upside to be a true key core piece for Detroit moving forward, where I don't think another team had two guys that you both view as a staple of the future that they were willing to put on the table and say here it is for ten starts of Schooble with nothing beyond that. And the Dodgers part of it is they probably feel more confident in doing this because they might have a better chance to sign school than the Rays do, than the Brewers do, than some of these other teams you write like and if they don't, so what that's that is the luxury of the Dodgers, And that's where that's it's up traded.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 5: They have the luxury to say, we know we will replenish the system, and we know we'll have pitching. Even if Schoole leaves us, We're fine, Well, you're going to try to resign him. We're gonna try to make him love us for ten for three months and win a World Series with him, and then he's gonna want to stay here anyways.
Speaker 3: But if they lose him, they're fine at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: Other teams trading those two levels of prospects losing him, they'd be struggling, right.
Speaker 3: So that is the luxury of the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, it's not like it was some crazy fleets where they traded some garden, you know, bag of chips for trek school.
Speaker 3: They traded two elite prospects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: And even if you're a little bit more and you could say maybe they should have been able to get em at Sheehan. And that's something where I think the Dodgers dug their heels in and said no.
Speaker 1: But I think that's also why they had to tack on.
Speaker 4: Brady Smith, which Brady Smith is not worthless in this whole equation either twenty one years old, a ball of clay that I think the Tigers are really excited to be able to potentially mold here. Fastball average is ninety ninety five miles per hour and from a five to nine release height, he's averaging no worth of nineteen inches of induced vertical break.
Speaker 1: He's been missing middle.
Speaker 4: So the numbers against the fastball are a little bit worse than maybe, you know, I think the stuff would imply. But it's ninety five with plus carry. Then the change up is wicked. That's a plus change up. So you got ninety five with plus carry change up tunnel, and off of it you've already got, you know, a two pitch combination there that I think is going to carry him.
Speaker 1: But it's not like that's all he has. Either.
Speaker 4: He throws a hard cutter at like eighty nine to ninety one that I think is a really good bridge pitch, and then he also mixes in a two seamer and a curveball about eighty miles per hour that also looks like a solid offering. So I mean, this is a guy that I think looks like he could project into a ceiling of a three starter as well. Obviously a lot of room to grow here and a lot of things that have to happen, but this is a very exciting I think ball of clay to be able to play with like here, and this is not again a throw in nobody. I think this is what had to be added on when it wasn't Sheehan and Hope. Then now we're not gonna do that. We're gonna do River, but we'll give you, you know, a guy that I think Brady Smith, by the end of this year will probably be right around the top fifteen and maybe even closer to the top ten in this Tiger system. So it's a pretty darn good return again. I think the big X factor in this is can River Ryan stay healthy? And the biggest thing with that too is I think the injury issues have been overblown. You had Tommy John surgery, as every pitcher really ever does, and then a hamstring thing has hampered him a little bit. I think that's the part that's been like why we haven't seen him as much this year dealing with the hammy. I don't see a crazy long list of injury issues. And if he can come back from the hammy and throw all this year, I think it really like will make things positive when you look at the return here, and I think people are really misunderstanding the value of him when Okay, yeah, he's gonna be thirty two at the end of this, but I still think a guy with not a lot of miles on his arm relative to most twenty eight year old starters and even thirty year old starters, isn't going to have the same age curve. But also that age curve that we've seen referenced a lot has flattened a lot in recent years. With all of the information, the plio balls, all the stuff, all the resources that pitchers have, that age curve is really flattened in the early thirties. I'm not worried about age curve with with River Ryan, given the lack of miles in the athleticism. So I think he is the X factor in the steal because I do feel really good that Hope's going to be a you know, a twenty twenty threat potentially and just be a solid bat in the corner outfield. But I also think a big part of this package for the Tigers, they wanted proximity. They get a big league starter that can help them as soon as he's off the il. They get a corner bat, a lefty that is probably going to replace like Kerry Carpenter or whoever else and and can help them as soon as next year.
Speaker 1: And then you get the fun project in Brady Smith. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love the point there about Ryan too, And I'm curious you kind of just set it there, But like, do you think if he's fully healthy, is he is he in Detroit in that rotation in September?
Speaker 4: I think he has to be, and I think I think he's and he can. Like they're not punting this season yet, right, I mean, the American League is completely open, and I think this is a guy that can actually help them down the stretch. The int the same thing is you look at the rotation right now on roster resource They've got Frombert, They've got kydro Montero, they've got Troy Melton, Flaherty's on the il and you're not gonna get Resolson back anytime soon with the shoulder surgery. He's out for the season. So you're gonna get Jackson job back soon. He's making a rehab appearance and trip away. And then I think Danny innings from River Ryan, so you're gonna have him plugged in the rotation as well. It makes a pretty fun young combination of Montero, Melton has been shoving Job back off of injury, and then River Ryan. There's young controllable talent there.
Speaker 5: It's pretty crazy to lose Derek Scoobel and Casey Meis and in these trades and still have a pretty good rotation as you just kind of hit on there, like if Ryan's back and Job's back, like you get two young guys coming off injury in addition to the way that Melton's been throwing, like you mentioned in Montero as well, Like it's actually still a pretty good rotation. I just I don't know if that you know, they might fall too back, too far back by the time both those guys are back in their rotation actually, but you never know.
Speaker 3: They could still hang around.
Speaker 4: Right and it's young and competitive, and yeah, they might have some growing pains, but I think it's gonna be fun to watch each of those guys every fifth day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got our next trade on the docket here reviewing these pre deadline deals going in order kind of the player pedigree more than a timeline, just for reference for everyone here, But going over to Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 3: Now the Cubs get an arm.
Speaker 5: The Cub's got a couple arms, and we'll hear about the other arm the Cubs got on the next part of this show. But starting with the Kevin Gosman deal, tie South the scene and Brett Bateman go over to the Blue Jays in exchange for Kevin Gosman. The Blue Jays did this unique half by half sell thing that I actually kind of think was pretty fun there. But this is one where they it's a rental Gosman. They love Gosman, but they're not pushing chips this year. He's a rental guy. The Cubs pay up with two kind of middle of their farm system type of guys. You're not paying a premium here, but both guys with at least some intrigue in South Scene and Bateman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these are like kind of model guys in the respect that they've got the carrying tools to make them high probability big leaguers. But then the question is just you know, what's the ceiling going to look like there? But I think for a rental, they're there's two schools of thought. I think when you're when you're trading a rental and not a Terrek Scooball rental, but like just kind of your average rental, which I think Gosman is like your upper echelon average rental should get you a nice return. A lot of teams want them, but at the end of the day, no one's trading their top top prospects for him at this stage. Right, you could go for the lotto ticket at the complex or low A, or you can go for.
Speaker 1: Kind of the higher floor, lower ceiling types.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what we saw that the Blue Jays go with here where South is seen ninety two percent zone contact right eighty two percent overall, but he is yet to homer as a pro and good. I think that's what one hundred and fifty six games on of fifty seven games, he is yet to homer.
Speaker 1: But he can run. The glove is superb.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the other part where you're gonna get a really good defender up the middle. Uh, And yeah, I think it could be phenomenal at second base if you need can play a solid third, but also plays a good shortstop. And and I think at the very least you get a solid, you know, high floor piece there that's gonna be able to I think at least fill a utility type of role. And then you can kind of copy and paste similar things with Brett Bateman. He's just closer to the big leagues and I think that's just something that they wanted to minfield depth and can help in that regard. But for a rental, I mean, you're gonna get two guys that are probably gonna fill a big league role. How in what capacity will be the interesting thing. But with Bateman as well, again good back to ball, eighty four percent overall contact rate, you know, patient approach, it's not again minimal minimal minimal impact, but at the same time he's gonna be able to go get it and play some good defense in center field. And if you get a fourth outfielder and a utility infielder for rental, those are guys that are gonna fill, you know, backfill roles, I think for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is fascinating to see the way that teams approach their rentals, And clearly this was one that was like, let's get two guys that can be big leaguers.
Speaker 3: You're not dreaming.
Speaker 5: About, you know, either of these guys probably being a superstar player at All Star even right, but like they can both be a big league piece Bateman. I'm interested in seeing how they roll them out of it. I honestly think he could be up in Toronto this year, later in this season to finish off the year, like maybe pretty soon, frankly, like this season has been his best overall offensive season of his minor league career so far. Twenty four years old. This year at the Triple A level, in eighty two games, he's rocking a one twenty five WRC plus he's striking out and walking like like pretty much the same clip twenty stolen bases. Like you said, there's not a ton of juice their impact, but like he's gonna still you some bags. He's gonna walk a bunch he's gonna give you, Like you mentioned good defense center field, like that's at least a piece, and like if yeah, if he's starting three days a week in the outfield for the Blue Jays, you feel.
Speaker 3: Pretty good about that in terms of someone who is gonna probably leave.
Speaker 1: In two months exactly.
Speaker 4: And the last thing I'll mention destroys fastballs, and then you could be better against spin, but he doesn't chase as much. But thousand ops against fastballs for Bateman struggles against spin five eighteen ops, but hedges that by putting the ball in play and just doesn't chase. So to me, gonna give you competitive at bats off the bench, spots start, whatever it may be. And yeah, again they could have maybe one higher ceiling on one piece further away. Instead they kind of backfill here, and I don't hate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, we got a bunch more trades to get to. Let's take one quick break here and then we'll keep getting into these pre deadline deals. Jumping right back in here on the call up we're talking about trade deadline prospect returns before actual deadline day. Deadline day will be in. Our next part might even be three parts of deadline stuff, because this was a crazy trade deadline. The next one up is the Luis Garcia Junior trade to the Yankees. This was a fascinating one because I think the Yankeys adding a bat or two was like, that's gonna happen some way or another.
Speaker 3: We knew that was always going to be a factor.
Speaker 5: But they get an interesting kind of big package, four players, including a big leaguer in three prospects in exchange for Luis Garcia Junior going over to the Nationals red hand or your Vannie Cruz. Jake Bird is the MLB reliever there, and then also two more pitchers in Jack Siebert and Ben Grabel, so a trio of pitchers in addition to an MLB reliever. We'll focus on the three prospects here. You could take it away, which with everyone you want to start with with Cruz Sepert agreeable, as the Nats get a kind of a depth over ceiling type of package here with three arms they can get in their system and see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 4: Given where the Nationals are at, I mean, they've got a good they've got a lot of young talent in the farm system, and they've got a big league team that is hanging around this year. But I think you look at next year and it's funny. Every time everference next year, I just can hear somebody saying, there is going to be a next year. Let's just operate under the assumption that there is. You can next year in the year after that. This is exactly what they needed, right. If you look at the Nationals, their laundry lists, like their to do list, I should say, is very straightforward. After the season bullpen, arms, pitching, depth, pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, and that's what they get here, right, And I think the fun part with it is they get a couple guys that, look.
Speaker 1: I don't think they can.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they're going to make a mega run here or anything, but this season isn't punted for them. Is are they losing a lot of production with Garcia shore but they backfill him with abamlik Ortiz, who was ready for a big league opportunity, came over in that Mackenzie Gord deal and by the way, I already put I think had a great first game up with them, but also has been really good at Triple A and could be a solid power bat for them that at least can help them just make up some of the production. Obviously Garcia has been fantastic, but at least you're not replacing him with the traffic cone. And then you get a couple guys here that, like Giovanni Kruz, could be one of their best relievers down the stretch. I wouldn't be shocked if he picked up a couple saves, like they don't have anybody in there, and then you go to I think a couple of the arms that they brought in.
Speaker 1: Grabel is probably the most interesting in terms of what he could be. We saw him at the Futures game, and Grabel he's a reliever, right, but it's ninety six with twenty one inches of vert. Yeah, from a slightly above average release height, but it's not like he's releasing it from the sky. It's about six to two release height, and.
Speaker 4: He's getting twenty one vert at ninety six miles an hour, touching the upper nineties with a gyro slider that just darts off of that, that guy could legit be a closer. And if he's if he's a high leverage reliever for you that's already in the upper miners, great he gets up there and he could help you as soon as next season as well. I loved that aspect of it, where you get like two controllable, high octane stuff relievers.
Speaker 1: You get a backfield guy with Bird who.
Speaker 4: Even though he kind of stinks this, you're like, he still is probably fine for them. And then Sebert's kind of the pitching starting pitching prospect where you can try to develop him and see what you can get.
Speaker 5: My thing with this one and the only reason I had a little bit of positive one, I think I agree with you, like the two relievers you're never gonna get as much prospect pedigree on because they are relievers at the end of the day, like cruising Gravel are gonna be relief pitching prospects. With Siebert, I wonder if I thought at first glance, with the year of control still on Garcia, they could have got a little bit better of a starting pitching like project guy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: That was my only takeaway from this is like you got two big relievers, you got a backfilled MLB guy, right. I wanted there to be one piece in there that you get a little more dream on in terms of like maybe he can be a legitimally starter. I think there's a couple guys in the Yankee system that they probably didn't want to move that fit that mold, so they went with Siebert. But that was the one thing I My only gripe with this from the national side is not getting one guy that you really see as a potential true starter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: I do agree with that, Like I think it could have probably gotten a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Like a of a sexy starting pitching prospect.
Speaker 4: But I do wonder if there's just something that to Bony and co see with Siebert when you look at the model, like some of the things that stick out to them. Seven feet of extension from Siebert's unique. That's obviously plus. Yeah he's only ninety three, but it's a five to six release height, so below average release height with plus extension, and it's it's a wide array of pitches. So I do wonder if they see something here that they can maybe unlock a little bit more. He's got that like sweeping, so there's just a couple of different guys I've seen with this, and this is what Brandon Fott had when he was going crazy in the playoffs and kind of lost it a little bit.
Speaker 1: That riding sweeper where.
Speaker 4: It's got the sweeper shape but it gets five inches of vert or so, and that pitch is discussing. We talked about what that kinner Martinez with the Giants, and he has and it just decimates guys. So you have that the cutter in between sweeping curveball below that. I think this is a pitch mix that they're just excited to work with. We'll see, but I agree like I think it could have maybe aimed a little bit higher on the you know, starting pitcher, but then maybe they don't get Grable right, and so it's like this give and take. Welcome to the negotiations of a trade. I can't imagine the other side of it. That I think is probably part of it is if the Yankees, who don't care about money as much, aren't taking Willis Garcia.
Speaker 1: I think some other teams.
Speaker 4: May kind of haggle a little bit about how Garcia is going to cost twelve million dollars next year in his final year of ar That's.
Speaker 3: A good point.
Speaker 5: He is going to be a little bit expensive, especially coming off the season he's having right now. It's not going to be a cheap like arbitration little like four million dollars salary guy next year.
Speaker 3: He's definitely going to cost a bit.
Speaker 5: So the Yankees are okay with that because I think he the defensive fit with the Yankees is a whole another layer to this that you guys talked about on the JB Show. It's really interesting how they're going to figure out if they're healthy. I don't even know who actually starts wear for them in the playoffs, Like I'm really it's a tough conversation. With that said, I think this trade is also a no brainer for the Yankee side of it. Like you give away three pitchers the Yankees, Like, I mean example, right fifteenth round pick, right, Like that's like a you know, it's last year fifteenth rounder for the standard one hundred and fifty thousand dollars signing Bote.
Speaker 3: It's like the Yankees can spawn plenty of these pictures. This is a no brainer for them.
Speaker 5: They needed a bat like Garcia Homer's and his Yankee debut, like he's the guy.
Speaker 3: They just like they needed to get someone of this kind.
Speaker 5: Of category and they did, and Romost is not a bad get too, but like they needed someone in this who's having this type of offensive season to come in and just infuse that offense right now, Garcia at least especially for the next month without Belly and Judge out, Like this was a needed get for the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I agree on the spawning arms thing that they're they're like posts draft, like pre debut pitching lab program. Thing they have is these guys come out with just better stuff and optimizeduff, and we see it all the time, and the fifteenth rounders turn into canary your tertiary pieces and trades like this, and that's how you create currency for yourself, you know, and create even without the best farm system.
Speaker 1: That's how you're able to still pull off trades no doubt.
Speaker 5: Going over to the next trade on our list here, my White Sox acquired Louis Castill from the Mariners in a really interesting double dead money kind of bad contract swap. Of the one prospect involved that was kind of the push it over with bad money going both directions was catching prospect Boston Smith who was going to be on a heat sheet soon, and I honestly could have put him in last time because he has had one of the most ridiculous, like past two month stretches in his first pro season.
Speaker 3: He's a catcher six round pick last year.
Speaker 5: The Curtis Mead trade trajectory now is getting crazier and gasier because you had Curtis Mead for Boston Smith in the offseason, and now Meade for early and now Boston Smith has becomes the key piece that gets the White Sox a lease Castillo. I've been incredibly impressed by Boston Smith. For those that are our Mariners fans. I did an interview with him a few weeks ago on feature Socks actually funny timing, and he was super candid, A really interesting guy. Definitely one of the more like thinky, brainy catchers that I've ever talked to in the minor league space. Like he definitely thinks about everything from like a catching strategy standpoint, which I love.
Speaker 3: I think he's in a really good season. I mean, I think there's some questions about the defense.
Speaker 5: He's playing multiple roles, like he's played left field and catching for the White Sox. He didn't start catching full time until his senior year of college, which was last spring, So like he's really not. He wasn't a full time catcher literally until last year. So is he a catcher? Is he more of this kind of David Fry catcher, backup slash at corner infield corner outfield guy.
Speaker 3: Probably more of that ladder option.
Speaker 5: But an interesting prospect nonetheless, And I do think he's gonna have a chance to, you know, be a piece for Seattle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna ask you about the defense because obviously I have not grinded then the Boston Smith receiving and catch and throw tape.
Speaker 1: But I love my Right State hitters. I'll always say that.
Speaker 4: I love that all of these guys are always under the radar and they always end up doing more than you expect.
Speaker 1: You mentioned just kind of the mental approach and side of things.
Speaker 4: I think that does very much help to like justify having a guy behind the plate once or twice a week. Do you know, like prior to the trade, where the White Sox keen on developing him as a catcher because he was playing a fairmountal left too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounded to me like they wanted to keep the catching open, but more as a backup catcher and or utility guy rather than like a catcher. It didn't seem to me like the intention was like he's going to be an everyday catcher. Ever, it was more of like we want to make sure he still catches because he's he's solid back there. He also, like he was telling me about when he was at Right State, he played like shortstop sometimes when they needed him to, he was playing outfield, like he was one of those guys. He was just like the best player on that team. He started a d one, he didn't get enough playing time. He transferred to Right State, and he had an awesome, you know, junior senior year at Right State. So, like, he can catch, but I think he's probably best case he's a second catcher on a team, and potentially this is a weird, unique situation that very few teams roll with.
Speaker 3: But like I could see a.
Speaker 5: World where he's a third, a tertiary catcher while playing some left field and or first base against right handed pitch. It's a unique profile, not one that's like somebody you're dreaming on. But he's had one of the best hitting seasons in all of my League Baseballs year, and you can't deny that so far, right.
Speaker 4: So well, And I know that the Mariners always kind of open minded to these like versatility, unique opportunity type of guys. When Grant knapu and unfortunately got hurt or I think that's the right guy I'm thinking of, but that they were like willing to have him kind of pitch in hit. They were like they were checking both things out, seeing what could happened there. He was a catcher who was also pitching. Now they're like, we'll let you swing it as a DH but maybe also still pitch. Like they're open minded with stuff. We saw them do stuff with Harry Ford. We seen them move Michael Royo all over the place like they're going to be open minded. But ultimately it all comes down to whether Boston Smith hits. And Boston Smith has hit a ton this year. There's swing and miss, so that's gonna be the thing to monitor. But he's making the leap up from mid major baseball and has climbed three levels right He started a low A, briefly got up to High A, demolished there, and he's holding his own in double A. So some of the underlying whift can normalize a bit as he's just kind of been thrown right into the deep end, and even that he's been extremely productive. So I think a pretty good get, you know, for the Mariners here in a deal that really when it's salary dump both ways to be able to snag a prospect you go into the Mariners.
Speaker 1: Not bad at all.
Speaker 5: The frustrating thing for me on the White Sox ender this deal and the reason I didn't love it at first glance, so it's grown on me a little bit. It's just like the entire twenty five million for Castio in twenty twenty seven is a little.
Speaker 3: Hard to stomach.
Speaker 5: And obviously you're getting off of twelve million they would have vowed to Anthony de Bingez between the option and then potentially he would have added buy out the next year too, So like it basically is thirteen more million dollars on the books next year and changing Sir Anthony for Castillo. I hope Luis Castillo can turn back the clock more. I just I don't know how much is in the tank for a guy you're now committed to twenty five million next year with a vesting option for twenty five following year. So if he somehow is I mean, let's say he's serviceable and he pitches one hundred and eighty innings in twenty twenty seven, you got another twenty five million on the books in twenty twenty eight. I just I thought, especially when you're giving up at least a decent prospect and an interesting one in Boston Smith, I would have thought there would at least been some money offset on the Castio side of this. And that's where this trade lost me a little bit, just from that aspect of the financial commitment for the White Sox.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially when sending Smith, I thought that was the interesting part of it too, Not that he's super super valuous. You'd stays signed for fifty thousand dollars. Still, he's not not worthless. I think the other interesting part too, is what I said with Guestio is like if they if they went out and got another arm, I'd like this deal more because as much as Gestio seems like a guy that you have some injury concerns with, because I feel like that's always hovered over him. His contracts literally has a clause in it if he gets hurt. He's been an inning Zeter for the last four plus years, one hundred ninety seven innings in twenty twenty three, one hundred and seventy five innings and twenty twenty four one hundred eighty nings and twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: And if not for the piggyback thing, he's been available all year. He's it one hundred innings already this year.
Speaker 4: So if he was like your innings Zeter for next year, because there's so many young and your uncertain arms situation wise, you know, with the White.
Speaker 1: Sox, I'd be cool with that.
Speaker 4: They didn't go get that other arm, and that was kind of the frustrating part for me. But I still think like, if he's a four something el, he's a veteran, he's been there.
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 4: What's funny is if he's exactly this or a little bit better, you can't let him hit that vesting option next year. Again, it did lose game no, but that'll be a funny circumstance to watch.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: I thought there was another arm coming for the White Sox. I did, and I think they were trying. From everything I've heard, it just it was is ultimately like there was only a couple of prospects that teams were particularly asking about for them, white sox, fur, control of arms like Reid Detmers, and they weren't trading those. I've gone on record sing I wouldn't Tradekaala Bontober. I know we slightly differ on our Kayla Botomber stances. But like they they weren't moving Bottomer for the for the people that were available.
Speaker 3: I'll put it that way. For the for the pictures available, they weren't going to move Bomber.
Speaker 4: The guy I said I'd move him forward didn't even get to end up getting moved. So it sounds like the asking price would have been pretty crazy for like a raid det Merce.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, it seems like the price was Bottomer and significantly more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where you lose me.
Speaker 3: That that's where you lose me personally. So I think the I my opinion with that one.
Speaker 5: I think the Angels just I think they overplayed, and that's Detmers didn't go anywhere because I think they wanted more than Soriano and you guys talk about on the next episode, but like wanting significantly more than the Soreano deal for debt meers I'm out on that from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that side of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you look at some of the rental deals, like I don't know if the White Sox don't need to be going to too heavy into rentals.
Speaker 1: That's so I get, that's what I ended.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Smith not a bad get for the Mariners who kind of bought sold and add another another little prospect.
Speaker 1: In no doubt.
Speaker 5: Next trade up is for a rental Freddy Peralta going over to the Rays. And this is what I'm curious to see because I'm looking forward to seeing what the race potentially do with the Peralta and seeing where that goes. But they trio of prospects going over to the Mets in this deal, Aiden Smith, a Million, Pittree, and Gary Garhill. You got an outfielder in Smith, an infielder in Pittree, and then a pitcher in gar Hill or gil Hill. Sorry, all three fascinating names and all names of relevance. And I think, like you look at the rankings and you say like, oh, like these are all whatever guys.
Speaker 3: This is the race system.
Speaker 5: Let's not forget like all three of these guys being ranked at all in the RAIS system. And they might not exact been ranked on our update, but like they're all three at least come with some intrigue. So you start with whoever you want and I will fill the gaps from there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, I think the big thing here is, like a year ago, Aiden Smith is probably the headliner and instead he might be the tertiary piece here, so I'll finish with him.
Speaker 1: Petrie is interesting because he was a.
Speaker 4: Guy that, like Ceiling Limited, you kind of wondered what he would be, but has really taken a huge step forward this year while making that leap up from High A to Double A. I love like we're gonna talk about some trades later, like Brandon Taylor who was traded to the Marlins and the Liam hicksteal. I am a lot more skeptical when it's your third taste of Double A and things click, when things really click, and you make a leap when you're getting your first taste of a new level, that really tells me that something's you know, come together for you as a player. And of course was underlying data video A lot more that goes into it, but on the surface, I think it's important that Petrie makes this leap where at the start of the year, he was at High A, making his getting his second taste of the level. Right, you play one hundred eighteen games a high end twenty twenty five fifty one games to start the year there, and he was good. He gets at the double A this year after the fifty one games to start the season, where I'm taking it with a grand of salt, and he's been better at Double A. And that's where it's like, Okay, you've got my attention now. The ball is flying in the Southern League more than it ever has. It's flying everywhere in the minor league more than it ever has, except aside from TRIPAA. But that's not Petris game anyways. It only has three homers in thirty seven games. What stands out to me is he's walking eighteen percent of the time. He's striking out ten percent of the time. He's sitting three twenty three with a one to fifty five WRC plus, and that's the game for him. He's a second basement that I think can actually plays some solid defense over there. He's a it's plus back to the ball in play discipline and you pair that.
Speaker 1: With gap to gap that's gonna play it well.
Speaker 4: Enough, so I think this is a high probability big league regular at second base, and you're pairing decent enough wheels to give at least some value on the base pats, and I think this could be a solid regular at second base. And again, twenty three years old, gonna be two four soon, so the fact that he's succeeding now at the upper levels is big. But I liked that addition here for them because I think we will need to realize, like Freddie Peralta has been putrid this year and like he might be better. I liked the idea of getting in with a new set of eyes, because every pitcher is hit a wall, it seemingly in Queens, but thirty five percent in zone ran on all of his secondary is a chance he just isn't doesn't have it for ten starts. So to get Petri there there, I think was what was a fun start and a guy that I do think is going to fill a big league role and could be an above average regular.
Speaker 3: I like Patri a lot.
Speaker 5: I thought it's been a really impressive year from him, honestly, and watching him up in High A and then now making the transition of Double A and being even better too, Like just from a from a you know, approach standpoint. He was always a good bats to ball guy. But like going from last year and you know, at the in Hia the entire year being I who was at an eleven percent walk rate twenty percent strikeout rate. Now he basically flipped it this season at both High A and Double A now to be at eighteen percent walk and only a ten percent strike out rate, holding exactly the same rates at High A and now Double A through thirty plus games at each, Like I think there's some real injury there. And then it's not like you got two bad pieces behind it. I mean you can hit on it. But like Gil Hill is an interesting arm that was got. You've got a lot of hype a couple of years ago, and he hasn't quite developed smoothly so far, but like there's still some juice there. There's some good stuff and even Aiden Smith, like there's a lot of tools, there's some good defense in the outfield. Like I actually thought for a rental this was one of the better overall packages.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought, like the floor like where Gil Hill, like I don't, I don't know if he's got how many if he's gonna miss enough bats to be you know the picture that I think some thought he could be at the lower levels.
Speaker 1: But a big reason this happens a lot.
Speaker 4: With with the evaluation of these lower level guys is the super advanced strike throwers who strike out more guys than you'd think. Because it's low A, maybe we think the stuff's a little bit better and we overvalue them a little bit, and then we overcorrect later on with Gil Hill, like this is a strike thrower who did I think overwhelmlowe hitters to a degree because us they just easily just fill up the zone with a good pitch mix and hit his spots. But then as he got to Hi A in a little bit of double A, especially at double I think those hitters.
Speaker 1: Were a little bit more disciplined.
Speaker 4: They're they're on stuff a little bit more and you're not getting the whiffs that you needed. So that's gonna be the big thing to monitor with him. But the villa is steadily ticked up. He's still sitting ninety four and change with the four seemer two seamers.
Speaker 1: Sits just shy of ninety four.
Speaker 4: Just a ridiculous amount of strikes though, and That's the reason for me is like, at worst you got a depth arm, there's still so much value and got to just throw a ton of strikes. He's still just twenty one years old, so if you can find a little bit more whiff in there, whether it's adjusting the change up, just finding a way to get some more swing and miss. But regardless skill, Hill at least looks like a depth arm and I think has a good chance to land as a number five starter that can eat innings for you. I think the big X factor in the Steel is Aiden Smith, who comes in as a project for you.
Speaker 1: He was including the Randy Rose Rana deal if you remember, at.
Speaker 4: One point, has a lot of power, speed, excite around him, but it's just really hit a wall over the last year and a half. So that'll be the project for the Mets and we'll see if they can, you know, help try to get Smith right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's I think it's a pretty well run in package. It's you get a blat, you get the high four Nye Petrie, you get a strike thrower, depth armon and Hill that maybe there's a little more fine and then, like you said, Smith has been rough, but there's still enough tools there to be like, let's give him a year or two and see what happens and take a stab. And for Parlto, who, like you said it earlier, like hasn't been good and you're getting ten starts of Parlto.
Speaker 3: So for the Rays it doesn't hurt them because their system is so deep.
Speaker 5: But for the Mets, I think this is just about as good as you could have expected, honestly from a Parla deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it's a good cash in on a guy having a big year, and and Petrie and and Gil Hill, a guy that you know also could I if it doesn't progress the way that you want, could continue to.
Speaker 1: Lose a little bit of value.
Speaker 4: But I think that's a guy that a lot of teams would still probably want just because of the floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got a handful of more smaller deals here to finish up on.
Speaker 3: But let's take one more quick break.
Speaker 5: All right, we got five more kind of smaller trades that we can breeze through here. Of these pre deadline day deals you and Jack are going to handle the actual day of deadline. We'll start with the Lane Thomas and Bailey Falter deal because I personally wouldn't have really thought Lane Thomas and Bailey Falter would necessarily met Kansas City a pretty interesting prospect. But they get back a pair of prospects in Lucas Braun and Carter Holton from the Royals or to go to the Royals from the Braves, and it's an interesting duo. And Braun someone that we highlighted on the heat sheet actually about a month ago, and honestly, I think is the headliner here. And it's a pretty good get for guys in Lane Thomas and Falter, and look, Brown's got some injury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bron's a nice nice get for them. And I think, you know, just in a market where right an any right handed bats at least going to get you something interesting, Laane Thomas hits the short side of the platoon and then they get, you know, in just such a classic Braves trade and they get, you know, just a depth arm and Falter. But I think with what you're getting from Lucas Broun is is fun because I think it's a guy that can miss enough barrels to eat innings for you, and you'll get the workload that he's been able to have a year over year over year. Here at twenty twenty four for the minor leagues, like one hundred and forty three and two thirds innings, twenty twenty five hundred and thirty and two thirds innings, or twenty twenty twenty twenty five, excuse me, one hundred and forty nine and two thirds innings, and then this year ninety four innings.
Speaker 1: So far.
Speaker 4: Now nothing jumps off the page, but you look, it's just been consistent. He doesn't walk guys, he gets enough week contact and you know at the lower levels miss more Bats hasn't done it at the same level in the upper levels, but that'll probably be the big thing to monitor. But what I like with bron is just he looks again, another guy that at least could be a depth arm for you, and still has enough in there where you could see, like, hey, you could settle in as that ennings eating five starter. So I think that's not a bad get at all. And it's not like you're saying that about a guy that's far off right. This is somebody that's already on triple A and holding his own enough there, so if he can just improve a bit more command wise and triple I think the stuff. It's been a bit more subdued as he's adjusted to the triple A ball. I think it's a guy that could be up there and help grab innings for them and at least be a spot starter. I think that's the most likely outcome, is kind of a spot starter depth arm. But there's still room to be able to grab that number five spot here for Broun. Who I mean, the Royals they're delusional, just candidly they're delusional. So for a team that thinks it can be right back in it, you trade a rental for somebody that at least can plug and play and give you some depth for next season. Holton is a guy was admittedly more excited about before.
Speaker 1: Like he has hit a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of a wall, but it's still you know, a left handed pitching prospect here that old You want to see him kind of start to put things together. But you look at the field to spin it. It's a pretty good curveball, a decent slider and hopefully something can come along there, but kind of just a decent flyer throwing to see if he can be a late bloomer lefty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he stick him in the bolt and potentially if you want to move him a little quicker given his age, see what happens there's at least some injury. But honestly, I thought Broun was a pretty good get given that Laine Thomas and Bailey Falter are not part of the future in Kainsat City obviously, so if Braun can be a five starter for you.
Speaker 1: Then great. Yeah. And Falter's hardly part of the present, so yeah, that true doesn't.
Speaker 3: Hurt, hardly part of the president. I gotta save that one. That's good.
Speaker 5: The next trade up is another White Sox one. The Mets Sendascar Braza Band over to the White Sox, who I don't think i've ever seen, for the record, a thirty six year old with three and a half years of arm control.
Speaker 3: Still one of the craziest.
Speaker 5: Things ever to have a guy through arbitration through his age forty season, potentially pretty insane. But the White Sox got controllable, versatile bullpen arm in this deal, sending Gabe Davis and Zach Franklin to the Mets. I talked to our guy Ryan Thinklesen about it after, because I know he was curious about the soop on Gabe Davis.
Speaker 3: I love the dart throw for the Mets because Gabe Davis is.
Speaker 5: A guy that like might not make the bigs, but he's also a six' nine guy with not a ton of wear on his, arm who's had a couple of injury issues in, college but like there's some stuff. There he looked really good out of the gate this, season gets a really quick promotion To DOUBLE a in his first pro season and has really struggled In DOUBLE. A found it a little bit, lately but there's some intrig. Here he was about to BE i think we were working on our future socks and THE jv list as well for AND i think he was gonna be about twelve in The.
Speaker 3: White sox system for.
Speaker 5: Us so he was in that ten to fifteen range in The White sox, system and that was kind of the guys.
Speaker 3: That were looking to. Move davis is. Interesting he might not ever be.
Speaker 5: Anything he probably ends up in the, bullpen but there's some serious stuff for a six nine right hander who was a fifth round pick last.
Speaker 4: Year, yeah AND i Think brazaban like good get for The White. Sox like he's just gonna go and just miss barrels and get ground balls until he's forty and unfortunately not make a ton of money doing.
Speaker 1: It but you know, what he's making a million dollars with in the Dream. BRAZABON i remember when he was with The.
Speaker 4: Borrowings, Dude i'd go to spring training and one of the first questions to start at spring training would always be Where's Wasascar?
Speaker 1: Brasubon like is he in the?
Speaker 4: Country because he would every single year you'd go back home for whatever, reason there'd Be v's issues coming, back so he would always get a super late start to the.
Speaker 1: SEASON i think that he missed portions of.
Speaker 4: SEASONS i gotta ask you why about this with fish on, First AND i know he'll remember this even more specifically than, me BUT i think that also didn't urt so you already had like this crazy late bloomer and then he would just he would have challenges to get back. Here AND i just, remember like multiple, years like the first question would always be where's bras a?
Speaker 1: Band but he has really settled.
Speaker 4: In in his thirties and turned into a decent trade chip for The.
Speaker 1: Mets but, Yeah davis is the fun.
Speaker 4: One because so OFTEN i feel like you see these super tall guys that don't get any, extension AND i get.
Speaker 1: It it's really hard when you're that tall to then work your way down the. Mount davis is not one of.
Speaker 4: Those he's getting seven feet plus extension and at ninety six miles an hour with the stuff like it kind of looks like it's coming from the, sky and then the breaking ball working off of, that you, KNOW i think could be.
Speaker 1: Effective he ends up getting.
Speaker 4: More, horizontal but if he can get something that works a little bit more, vertically that could be really. Interesting AND i think it's a fun flyer to. TAKE i was curious to, like how would you map out the two, Prospects like how far apart are they with.
Speaker 3: What davis And.
Speaker 5: Franklin, Yeah, franklin some people LIKE i never have seen it come to. Fruition he's got a fun to pitch bullpen. MIX i just think, That, LIKE i think there's more intrigue With davis for. Sure BUT i wouldn't be surprised if The mets Id'd franklin as someone that they think they can get more out, of BECAUSE i had heard that a couple times before and it just hasn't really happened in the past couple of years in terms of. Production But franklin was definitely an interesting name in the organization of, like oh this guy like could be kind of fun out of the.
Speaker 3: Bullpen there's something.
Speaker 5: There So i'm guessing The mets saw him as a little bit more than just purely a. Flyer BUT i do Think davis is the get in this.
Speaker 4: Trait, yeah so, Considerably like at least there's a there's a decent gap.
Speaker 1: Yet, YEAH i.
Speaker 4: Will say at least with with With, franklin like a lot of. Strikes you, know you've grown and it's slightly low release sight above, average carry a lot of. Strikes, yeah maybe there's something that they think they can unlock.
Speaker 5: There With, yeah the fastball is good in the, secondary just han't quite come. Along the fastball has always had a lot of get up on. It so interesting, Yet but, AGAIN I i think this makes sense for both. Teams brazenbond given his, AGE i know there's control, there so you wanted to get something. Good BUT i think for The met's getting, it getting to take a dart throw at a guy Like davis worth it and there in their. Circumstance next trade up is the Fascinating angels. Trade there was a couple of Interesting Angels. Ones this one was The logan o' hoppy And Chase silseth trade going over to The rangers in exchange for on Hell Aron.
Speaker 3: Dundo who was? OUTSIDE i HOPE i got that. RIGHT i THINK I I i was close.
Speaker 5: There who's outside the top thirty most places for you, know for The. Rangers it's pretty rare to see a trade get reception of like, Who, like who's this traded? For? Like, yeah, LIKE i don't know who this? Is nineteen year old From mexico who is an international? Signing then in this, deal just a singular prospect for two big, LEAGUERS i, know not necessarily the most exciting big, leaguers but two big leaguers going over To texas for a low a. Prospect who's what, played you, know a handful of. Games he's been in single ay all, year he was in he split between the comp and single way last.
Speaker 3: Year what you got On Aaron?
Speaker 4: Dondo, yeah Mozae lock came out and said they've got him as a top ten, system which is.
Speaker 1: FUNNY a couple of layers to this.
Speaker 4: ONE i think there's a middle ground between what Mozae lock said and what the public has.
Speaker 1: Said LIKE i think we saw some people like who the hell is? That like what are they? Doing blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: BLAH i think we saw, mo you, know handle the rest of the deadline pretty, Well like this isn't this wasn't Classic. Gangs we're gonna talk about the other, deals like was it The angels are another organization that was not, operating like just just not making. Moves no process that now is operating had a process, here but this was the first. Move SO i think immediately everyone's, like, oh Classic. ANGELS i think there's something. Here and in terms of the glove is good and and if you're getting a really good glove at, shortstop which looks like not only can he stick, there like you could potentially be above average, there but also like they could just move them all over like they've been playing them a lot at, Third like it just seems like it's an above average to well above average glove wherever you play, them and it's been a lot more at so maybe it's plus. There BUT i think the glove and, aggregate like if it's above average it short or average it, short and then plus it at second.
Speaker 1: And plus at, third that's somewhat. Valuable.
Speaker 4: Uh you also look at the power uptick this, year like this is a kid that at nineteen years old grew into his body a little bit. More eight homers in eighty seven games at LOW, a whereas the year prior at The complex and LOW a he hit zero in forty six. Games, like clearly a kid that got more. Physical SO i think that's solid as well because the bats of ball is good eighty percent contact, rate super, paced patient, approach twenty percent chase fifteen percent chase on. Spin SO i think they're seeing a guy that just has a really high floor relative to what you would expect from most other lower level. Guys the other thing Is logan o' hoppy's, worthless AND i think that it's, unfortunate but he's, Worthless.
Speaker 1: Like he was a guy that was a BORDERLINE dfa.
Speaker 4: Candidate to, me this was more of just so seth for, Him oh hop kind of a throw in to just save the paperwork of having TO dfa and then claim or, whatever like they could use a plug in catcher and they did and they immediately option option. Him, Anyways Oh happy's a liability on both sides of the. Ball, unfortunately at this, point and he's not. Free he's two point sixty five million. Dollars so this trade save The angels a million bucks for whatever it's, worth and they got a decent.
Speaker 1: PROSPECT i actually think he's top thirty. Worthy i'll say.
Speaker 3: That, yeah all, right there you.
Speaker 5: Go that's a that's a that's better THAN i think some other things we've. Seen SO i think that's a fair get makes. Sense let the let The angels, cook.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah this one was this one made this one made.
Speaker 5: SENSE i don't THINK i don't think this one was anything to throw a fit about it at. All two more small ones here to finish up. On Aj minter goes from The mets over to The. Twins twins did a little bit of, buying which is. Interesting it's gonna make for a fun al central with The, Twins, guardians And White sox all significantly making buying. Moves Billy ammock And Ruin agbayani go over to The mets.
Speaker 3: ORGANIZATION i THINK i got that.
Speaker 5: One go over to The mets in exchange for Aj, minter who has been a solid veteran left handed reliever for many years now and has continued to be such but a pair of guys going over to The. Mets either of these two jump. Out do you Know ams got a little more name. Value seems like A gogani might have a little more upside. Intrigue worry about with these two guys that The mets get for a rental.
Speaker 4: And mintor, yeah you, know at the end of the, day you were not going to get anything crazy for you, know a relief rental and and you, KNOW i thought The twins should, sell But i'm never going to be upset when they when a team, buys especially new, Ownership twins fans.
Speaker 1: Deserve, it Like i'm glad they're going for, it you.
Speaker 4: Know and and with the additions they, made why can't they sneak their way into this conversation in the wild? Card so and this is another bullpen where it's like anybody. Helps So minster certainly helps, there uh amis and probably the more popular like headline or. GUY i Think agniani can end up being like.
Speaker 1: The more well rounded.
Speaker 4: Player But AMI's been really productive since BEING i didn't love them out of the. DRAFT i thought there's can too much swing and, miss and he's made more contact THAN i thought he. Would but at the same in terms of like the surface level, numbers but it's still been the same concerns that we're seeing beneath the. Hood sixty one percent contact traits not going to play, unfortunately especially as you start to climb closer to the big. Leagues but, maybe you, know if they, can if The mets can close the gap on the whiff a little bit, there that can help twenty three homers in eighty six games is you, know is solid and DOUBLE. A but, again it's just the big issue is just way too much swing and miss for a guy that's you, know limited defensively and more likely a first. BASEMAN i think Getting agbiyani on top is interesting because that's probably the guy that you're just hoping progresses into more great feel to.
Speaker 1: HIT i, mean we're talking about.
Speaker 4: A really, good a really good bat to ball ability already for a guy that's just turned nineteen years. Old now he's still trying to convert that into more consistent production and still trying to grow into more, power and he's going to be more of a project and we'll, see you, know, defensively where he ends up is probably more likely going to be his second. Base but you're getting a guy with advanced bats to ball skills in nineteen years. OLD i venture to guess That agbayani ends up being the better player in this deal and has a lot more time to you, know add power to a solid bats of ball, profile whereas you, Know, amic you're just kind of praying for a miracle that he can improve upon his.
Speaker 1: Contacts.
Speaker 5: Yeah amic's an interesting case too because last year In hi am talking about a guy that was hitting three ten with a four hundred PLUS obp but only four, homers and then he was still striking out a, lot but he was getting on base a. Ton and then this year he's hitting two seventeen In DOUBLE a but with twenty three. Homers it's an interesting like it's like his bad average and his contact and is just on base dropped a, ton but now he's adding for a lot of, Power so like there's at least something there if you can find the middle ground maybe between the. Two Whereas, AGBUNYANI i, think is the more exciting, guy like you, mentioned there's a little more, like, oh let's take a shot and ultimately for a reliever Rental LIKE i feel like either of the combination of those two profiles is a pretty good get for a rental.
Speaker 4: Reliever, yeah absolutely and Am, yeah the contact trate drop by five, percent but the average exablosity went up three percent or three miles per, hour so you'll take that. Exchange but he didn't have much room to give up anything on the contact, department so we'll.
Speaker 1: See but not.
Speaker 5: Bad, yeah last trade to talk about, here another small little. One Dean, kramer also speaking of The Minnesota, twins goes to The. TWINS i know you like this one.
Speaker 3: Even a little. More Jum. NARDO i Believe Nardo reis is What i'm gonna go. WITH i think that's. RIGHT i Think i'd be.
Speaker 1: WRONG i do scratch, Yeah, NARDO i think, YEAH i Think.
Speaker 5: NARDO i THINK i. WAS i was prepping with some of these. Prospects some of these were not.
Speaker 3: Easy but that one is an interesting.
Speaker 5: One Dean, kramer, veteran you, know filling picture at the end of the, day, Right he's going to be back end rotation type of guy for The. Twins Whereas, REYS i think you put.
Speaker 3: Out something about.
Speaker 5: Him i'm curious to get more of your just take on, him because it does seem like kind of an interesting flyer here for For baltimore to.
Speaker 4: Get, Yeah i'm working on an article right now And i'll probably put out a few other things over the week or. So but also we're going to be very much In top one hundred update, mode but working on an article of like my favorite prospect returns from the, deadline and it's all, relative, Right it was just more of like what TEAMS i thought did the best with with the.
Speaker 1: Value that they, had and this is one of.
Speaker 4: Them LIKE i Mentioned Natalie rutchman and that, deal and also my favorite deal of the deadline is you know what The cardinals Him bloom and The cardinals did For Dustin may And Jojo. Romero BUT i think this was a really fun. Acquisition and this is where you have the two schools to, thought, right go high upside guy that's further, off or the higher floor guy that's that's not as far. Off But rayes is like that high upside guy that's further, off that like isn't as flawed AS i thought it would be WHEN i dug deeper beneath the, Hood like there's still so much that he needs to figure. Out but we're talking about a kid that really impressed in the in The Florida Complex league and now is settling into LOW, a but is eighteen years, old still super, projectible six three hundred and eighty. FIVE i like the swing, Already like the swing is already advanced where he's got this field to. Airpole, now the timing can be a little bit, inconsistent you, know the hands move a little bit.
Speaker 1: Late it's a leg kick, whatever he's a, kid they all everybody has those.
Speaker 4: Moves but where the swing path is already at, uh the athleticism kind of the fluidity and mobility in the box.
Speaker 1: Stands out to.
Speaker 4: Me he's already popped ex Of lasse's high as one ten good field to pull the ball in the air For. Reyis and again you look at sixty three one eighty. Five how much more can you physically dream? ON i think a lot gonna slide over to a corner, probably but you got a plus arm. There as he gets more just more. STRONG i think this is a very fun player to dream. On to get for a year and a quarter Of Dean, kramer and not to say it's a bad trade for The, Twins Like kramer is a track record of being way better than he's been this, year and if you get, endings it's fine and he's at the end of the, day there is a low way.
Speaker 1: Player but for the o's like For Dean, kramer there's a really, fun high upside. Acquisition.
Speaker 5: YEAH i WHEN i first saw the, TRADE i thought in my Head kramer was a. RENTAL i was, like, Okay and THEN i saw you mentioned, THIS i was, like this is a really nice little.
Speaker 3: Get if you're getting an eighteen year, old.
Speaker 5: Fun upside bat for a, rental it is a year and a, half, Right SO i think the extra year Of, kramer even if he's your five starting and he eats, innings, like there is some value in. That say it's wins some money of having to go out and fill a rotation, spot LIKE i think you could if you fill your, rotation you feel good about him not in the, rotation you could be a swing guy in the pen sixth and six starter, option, Right, like there's some value to having a guy Like kramer on your. Roster but it does sound like Wig rayis is at least like an interesting fun project to get in the system For baltimore and see what happens and hopefully and see a guy like where if you had to take like a rough, estimate like he slocked into their top thirty potentially just purely off the, like, yeah it seems like he could be a back after the top thirty guy hundred.
Speaker 4: PERCENT i THINK i think he sees in that hes in the top twenty. Range and it's tough because now THE os system is so nasty with.
Speaker 1: The trade that they way way.
Speaker 3: Better yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It was some of the trades that they. Made BUT i think HE'S i think he's closer to the twenty.
Speaker 3: Range.
Speaker 5: Yeah, SO i mean that's a guy for For Deean, kramer who wasn't part of the o's.
Speaker 3: Future that's for. Sure like it's a it's a guy for.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah SO i thought that was a pretty savvy gattis like obviously a good job on his. Returns it's not What orioles fans want to. Hear they've already had the best farm system ever like. That they don't care about. That but the guy that led the, charge the face of that best farm system ever is you, know playing for The Red sox. Today so, LIKE i know they don't want to hear, it but if you're gonna have to go through this, exercise it's not like they tore the whole thing, down and it's not like they don't have another catcher, there and then some of the smaller between the margin. MOVES i think they've done a really good job here to get some talent in the farm and maybe they, can you, know kind of circle back and still end up.
Speaker 1: Buying and making some moves in the.
Speaker 4: Offseason BUT i thought this was another just good farm, system depth upside type of play here for The ohs and a fun player to add to the. Fold that'll do it for for the first episode Of it's gonna be three dog, like it's gonna.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be. Right there's too. Many there's too.
Speaker 5: MANY i mean the deadline day, itself there was teen to twenty prospect returns we got to talk.
Speaker 3: About so it'll probably end up being. Through but you guys got you And jack up part to, tomorrow so we'll keep it rolling And.
Speaker 1: I'm pumped on.
Speaker 4: It so many, deals so much fun to get into, THEM i, Honest so it gives me more time to just dig deeper into each of these prospect. Returns keeping out for the article on Just baseball dot com kind of my favorite deals and getting really granular on these, prospects and, yeah be sure to follow us on, socials putting a bunch of stuff out on that, front and we will have two more episodes breaking down the deadline for you this. Week as, always thank you for, Listening, subscribe share with your, friends word them. Out super underrated Growth engine leave a. Rating really appreciate. It check out the YouTube side of things as, well and we will talk prospects with you tomorrow