Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday, June fifth, and the Didy trial is about to get underway once again. This is the fourth full week of testimony. I'm Amy Robock along with my partner TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes.
Speaker 2: Starting a little later this morning than typical mornings. Testimony doesn't begin until eleven am, but they will begin with wrapping up that cross examination of Brianna Bunglin, and she certainly had a lot to say yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why are they starting late today?
Speaker 2: We don't know. There were some procedural issues, but they said they were starting late. And interestingly enough, the prosecution is concerned about being behind schedule right now for their big star witness that may take the stand later today. Jane is the pseudonym she's using, but apparently she has to catch an international flight a week from today and they're worried that all these delays and even starting later today might cause some problems for her and that flight.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, we see what happens there. But we got another full day of testimony that's in the books now, So let's go through what happened for everybody yesterday again. As we sit here at this recording court is about to get underway. So no testimony as of yet, as of this moment, as of this recording. So as we've been doing, we'll go through what a full day that's already in the books. And yes, Brianna bongle In, I guess the headline that kept coming out of that was she was the of course X or friend of Ditty's X cause EVENTU or fine And this incident wrotes we've been hearing so much about. We got it first person. Brianna Bonlein is the one that we've been hearing about. Was dangled over a balcony by Diddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she says that Diddy bangles her off that seventeen floor balcony. It was Cassie's La apartment, and she testified to jurors indirect testimony and in cross examination that she still does not know why it happened or what he meant when he said as he was she said, he was dangling her over that balcony. You know what the f you did? She said that Diddy was saying this repeatedly, yelling that at her, and to this day she doesn't know what he meant by it, but she said she was shaking, she was so scared and when he finally for those, she said ten to fifteen seconds she was dangling over that balcony. He finished it by throwing her against the patty of furniture. She says she sustained injuries from that throw, and she says she still suffers, wakes up screaming and is haunted by that moment, those fifteen seconds where she said she felt like she might die.
Speaker 3: And I really, folks a reminder. This was back in twenty sixteen. She was staying at a case of interrofinance house her apartment out in LA with another friend. They heard the banging on the door and it was remarkable for her to her first instinct was to tell her friend to hide in the bathroom. She told a friend to go in there and be quiet. So her friend and her words wrote she she didn't want her to be involved and be subject to some of the stuff that she had witnessed, so she essentially just kept one person out of it. She didn't want her to be subjected to it. So the friend didn't see it. Cassie venture Fine didn't see it, so really it was only Ditty and Brianna Bongaling. Cassie Sell some of the aftermaths, she said, But they're going after her in the cross examination, at least, trying to poke holes in her story and robes.
Speaker 2: This is what.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've seen defense attorneys do this. I don't know how effective it is, but little things she's she can't recall correctly. She told one group that she was a prosecutors that she was smoking a cigarette out there, but it turns out on the stand she says she was smoking weed. I know that seems minor, but point by point they are going through and showing different ways that she has not been accurate in her accounting of that story. The point being well, if she got some of these details wrong or she confused, what other details could she possibly be getting wrong?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 2: And she admitted on the stand that she had been using cocaine and f actually talked a lot about the drug use that she did with Cassie Ventura Fine and with Ditty himself. She meant that they repeatedly and often used marijuana, cocaine, ketamine, ecstasy, GHB. It was a long list of drugs, and she said, look, we all had a problem. Interestingly enough, she actually wanted to make a distinction because This was something they also tried to poke holes at. She said the prosecution, or at least the investigators, got it wrong. They conflated to events. There was the event she says that happened at Cassie Ventur's apartment where she says Diddy dangled her over that balcony, But she said previously, earlier in that year, in twenty sixteen, she was on a photo shoot with Cassie Ventur Fine, and she said Diddy came up to her, got right in her face and said, I'm the devil and I could kill you. She says that she doesn't know what prompted it, but that that happened, that she was terrified, and even though that all occurred, she claims she still continued to see Sean Combs, she still continued to see Cassie Ventur.
Speaker 1: She still continued to put herself.
Speaker 2: In their world and around them, and that's what defense attorneys were also trying to come at her similar to what they did with me, And why would you keep coming back? Why would you stay in the same vicinity with someone who basically said that they were the devil and could possibly kill you. And she just really didn't have a good answer for that.
Speaker 3: Look, there was a lot of I don't remember, I don't recall, I don't remember, I don't remember, I don't remember. That's effective where it can be, or is the reason that defense attorneys do this, because if you can't remember that part of the story, then maybe you're not remembering the other part of the story. They did get at her motivation. She does have a ten million dollar lawsuit pending against Sean Diddy Combs right now. She her words, she said, yes, I don't want the ten million. If you would take this memory away, that's fine, and we understand, but she is it is worth noting. But this is the first time we have actually attached a name to it. This story. We've heard about so many times about the balcony situation. Cassie been ter refined had this in her lawsuit? She said she asked. Brianna Bonglean says she was asked by Cassie if she could put that in her lawsuit aim and she said nope. So that's why we haven't gotten the name yet. But she's another Robes that's under an immunity deal and to be up there on the stand, you can see why she talked about a lot of drug use, even selling drugs at some point to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she actually her testimony was delayed a little bit yesterday because she had to wait for the judge to give her that immunity order. And surely when she started testifying, you could understand why. And she did say that cassievan touurfind did put that incident, of course in her lawsuit, she just wasn't allowed to name her. And so now you're right, this is the first time we were actually attaching a name to that incident that we've heard so much about. So when she takes the stand, actually momentarily, defense attorneys say they still have anywhere from forty five minutes to an hour left to cross examine her, so they're still not done. We don't know what else they want to try and say or do to discredit her. But she's back up in the stand and she'll be there for a little while. And because this is taking longer than expected, we were initially expecting Enrique Santos to take the stand after Breonna Bonglan is done today. He was due to make an appearance to basically set up the testimony for this Jane Doe character.
Speaker 1: We've heard so much.
Speaker 2: The third and potentially final alleged victim of Seawan Comb's, Jane Doe is or was, excuse me, a girlfriend of Sean Ditecombs, and she we believe was a part of all of these freak offs, and she certainly says that she too was abused, So so much anticipation about what she's going to say, but unclear what Enrico Santas was going to be able to to add to.
Speaker 1: This or at least set her up.
Speaker 2: We were told that perhaps he might be able to explain some texts that the jury's about to see that might shed some light into how you take Jane Doe's testimony, but we don't know. Now. The prosecution saying it's going so late and they're so concerned about Jane Doe's timeline that they don't know if they can afford to put Enrico Santos up on the witness stand.
Speaker 1: So that's to be TVD.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's has always been fourth of July. I think they were trying to wrap things up, and then the prosecution was doing so great, We're head of schedule, and now all of a sudden, we're behind schedule, and the defense has already talked about they're reordering some of their folks on their list. So we don't know. I mean, from recent indications, if you're reading Teelee used July fourth seems like a bit of a pipe dream. The judge wants it though. The judge absolutely wants that date and wants him to stick to it, and he's tried to move things along at several places. But even if they have thirty to forty five minutes, so much of the stuff that has been taking so much time, as all these sidebars. They got to send the jury out so they can argue about something in the courtroom. And look, this is a bunch of a man's life is on the line, period, So I would argue, you take all the time you need on this thing, but there have been so many delays because of sidebars.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The judge actually even said late yesterday, I don't know that the jurors were loving us because they've been wrapping up around three pm Eastern time each day. The judge suggested that perhaps they could have the jury start to stay later on the days when Jane Doe is testifying when she's on the stand, but he said that the late they could probably delay it to was four pm tomorrow because of a scheduling issue, but we may see longer days starting next week.
Speaker 1: And this is actually a note. If Jane Doe actually.
Speaker 2: Takes the stand today TJ and begins her testimony, they're worried about her catching a flight a week from today. That's hard to imagine that they think she might be on the stand for that many days. That seems wild to me because the most we've seen, how long did Cassie testify for?
Speaker 1: Three four days?
Speaker 3: Maybe I think maybe twenty hours on the stand total is what it was, but I think it went over three days at least.
Speaker 2: And that was they were on a stort deadline and timeline with her because she was literally about to give birth, so they were sensitive to her medical condition and tried to speed things up. But that seems wild to me that there was any concern on and maybe they're just posturing. I don't know that the prosecution was concerned that somehow that would be an issue for her to catch this flight next Thursday, but we shall see about that. Also, of note, I wanted to bring this up because yesterday's podcast I actually was wondering who recorded that surveillance video. We were talking about how the surveillance video that was so much a part of yesterday's testimony, how it was released, how it got out. If Eddie Garcia, the security guard, gave Ditty the only copy in that USB guard to of the video, who recorded it on their cell phone. You were saying, that was what happened. Someone recorded it from their cell phone. Well we found out who it was. It was another security guard and the reason was kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: I like to give people grace, and I do, and you caught up in the moment you're seeing this thing. But he said he only recorded it because he wanted to show it to his wife. Now, this is an issue here. Every single day we have a Ditty episode of any kind, someone else comes up and you go, wow, that was another person who saw crime take place and did nothing. That's tough. They were just so we talk about enablers, and we talk about people that were around Diddy, but there are so many people outside of Ditty's world who got a glimpse into it and had photographic video evidence of it and did nothing. Some people got paid off to not call the police and say we just saw this man beat the shit out of this woman.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: These are these are tough. We're hearing more and more of these stories. It's just that's and to think for something as mundane and stupid as I just want to show my wife, that's horrific. And I'm sorry to this to the security guard. I don't know what your circumstances are. I don't know what was going on at the time, and I just want to give people grace in a moment. But that is it. A lot of this is tough to get your head around.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: We were talking about it yesterday because when that came out that that was the reason.
Speaker 1: He said, you know, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I saw it, and I wanted to tell my wife about it, but I knew if I told my wife what I saw, she wouldn't leave me. So I had to have evidence proof for her to believe me that I just saw Sean Diddycombs beating up his then girlfriend Cassie Vntura Fine, and that is the only reason. It wasn't for money, it wasn't for protection or insurance, which is what we were possibly thinking it was. It was simply to say, look what happened. It was voyeurism, and yes, nothing was done about a crime that clearly they both witnessed watching and he was so excited to show his wife what he saw. It makes you feel a little sick to your stomach. And again not trying to judge anyone, but it's just all of the of the people who dropped the ball or made an excuse or had an ulterior motive, or even maybe just the worst part of you just came out and you thought, wow, this is cool or fun. And people, you know, we all get caught up in it with clickbait, watching other people suffer, watching unspeakable acts and not recognizing the human toll and the human costs and what our responsibility it is as human beings to report it, to acknowledge it, to do something about it, but not just to sit back and either laugh at it or gawk at it. And I think that was just for whatever reason that stood out so much to me yesterday, and again not to throw a stone, because all of us are guilty of it in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: If we're watching, you know, it's like watching a train wreck.
Speaker 2: People say they use that phrase all the time, but this was just such an egregious example of it. It just stood out and made it like there's so many moments in this trial, sadly where you just feel sick to your stomach and think about how let down so many of these women were by the people who were either closest to them or the people who had direct knowledge of what was happening.
Speaker 3: What they feared him. They feared for their lives, They feared for their jobs and careers, they feared financially, they feared You keep hearing people on the stand who are around him, who were in his world, who worked for him, say they feared him. These are now four extra people, four people who weren't in his world, who who didn't receive threats of violence from him over the years, who weren't beaten. Who were These are four people who saw video evidence of a horrific crime. They saw a woman get beat and three of them took money not to say something, and the other one went home to show his wife and have the two of them just gawk at it. This was eight years ago, and that's tough, and that's just tough. And the guy the video, they went through it. The jury saw it so much yesterday and maybe we should all consider this. The jury saw it a bunch because the prosecution had the video forensic expert up there, going through frame by frame and explaining a lot of stuff. I think it was called tedious testimony, but it was necessary testimony. Fine, But they saw a bunch with the prosecution. And then the defense got up and showed the video some more and frame by frame and stopping it and stop. And the theory goes robes is that you show it to the jury enough, they might become desensitized to it.
Speaker 1: That's terrible.
Speaker 3: You might get them to a point to where, oh, yeah, we've seen that video and it stops being the horror show that it is. That legal experts are looking at it those two way. Yes, the prosecution wants to show it to you right, just to burn it in your memory, But maybe you want to show it so much? Are we all now when that video pops up? Do we look at it and just go, yeah, there it is again? Do do we not get horrified every time anymore?
Speaker 1: I don't know, babe, I just got chills.
Speaker 2: I hadn't even thought about that as a defense tactic, and that makes me even feel worse. I Mean, we've talked about this as journalists covering all of these school shootings that at a certain point people do get desensitized. Oh how many kids died? How many people died? And then that makes it more important or less important.
Speaker 3: How many people have done that high school shooting? Oh, four dead? Okay, not a big deal, because we're used to the fifteen in the twenties and the thirties and all these shootings. Yeah, are you who if you're listening, have you been guilty of that? Do we do that? I don't know. It's just so much and everything seems like a tragedy, and everything seemed horrific. But I don't know. We've become desensitized to monsters, even to a certain degree, because we're used to so much bad behavior. I suppose I don't know this one got me, and I'd say it every day, like, oh, I didn't know this person was in on it too. Oh I didn't know this person saw it too. Man, A bunch of people could have picked up the phone.
Speaker 2: And you know what we say every time we cover anything like a school shooting or anything that seems to be repeated or happening over years, where people turn to blind eye or got desensitized to it. We keep saying, this time, people will wake up. This time, people will act differently. This time, people will change how they feel and react and really take note of these moments and say, I'm going to do better.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be better next time. And so you know, I was. I'm hopeful.
Speaker 2: I'll always try to remain hopeful that seeing and hearing what's happening in that courtroom and seeing witness after witness say basically the same thing, and hearing from a witness saying that Sean detecombs himself, called himself the devil. You know, I hope that there will be changes and people will feel empowered to speak up and to speak out to know that there can be justice. But it can't happen unless people come forward. It can't happen unless you do the hard thing and the right thing, and instead of acting out of fear, you act out of love. And that's a really hard thing to do, and it's a really hard switch to flip sometimes. But that is my takeaway, and I hope as we continue to watch this trial, that can be more people's takeaways.
Speaker 3: All right, well, folks, we will continue to keep you informed here Again. A later start to the day today as we record this here on Thursday, June fifth, so a later start as we record this, but it could be a longer day in court. They could possibly go a little longer. We'll update you on that tomorrow, but for now, I'm TJ. Holmes alongside Amy will back my party and you'll be kind each other, all right. Mtation, the
Speaker 1: Thetation, the detent