Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nol. They call me Ben.
Speaker 3: We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis Bridgerton Jackson. Most importantly, are you. You are here? That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know? One of our favorite times of the week's folks, it is listener mail now. Previously, as we had mentioned, we took the week. We took June teeth off, as hopefully all of America does, and we are so excited to return with correspondents from some of our favorite amazing fellow conspiracy realists. We're going to learn a little bit more about some drugs. We're gonna learn about a recent fascination of ours or an ongoing fascination regarding insurance. We might have some hot takes on case ideas. Finally, yeah, right, the time has come, and then we'll learn about some acts of US supported terrorism. All this and more. Before we do any of that, we've been doing the cold opens now, So you guys heard any any cool jokes?
Speaker 4: Knock?
Speaker 3: Who's there?
Speaker 4: A word from our sponsor.
Speaker 2: And we've returned, and we are going to jump to the voicemail machine and in it we are going to find a message from cow's head, but in Spanish.
Speaker 5: Here we go, Hey guys, this is Cove.
Speaker 6: I was I was listening to the recent freak Broker's episode and you mentioned that your home insurance got canceled and a recent thing this happened to my father where they canceled his home insurance. He got a notice in the mail and when he called the question it, the lady told him that they flew had drone over his house and looked into his backyard and saw that there was a bunch of vehicles back there and other junk that he had stored. He lives on an acre. It made a deal with his cousin that he could throw some vehicles back there. It's not a lot, but anyway, so they canceled the insurance and then they also sent him a photo that they used Google. The reason they found out was they were checking Google Maps and they saw the aerial view from the satellite footage that showed a lot of the cars and things that were back there, and that's why they canceled the insurance. But I think is a very big invasion of privacy. And he had like it was state farm insurance, so not like some weird cheap insurance, and they said, oh, we have to get it all cleaned up before we'll allow you to restart your insurance. And so he's kind of trying to deal with that. But I don't know. I've heard other people mention it, and I've seen an article about it online. I don't know if you guys know about that. It's really weird, really big amazing of privacy, I think, because also I don't think he's had that insurances before drones are invent invented, so I don't know how they can hide that in the fine print. I don't know how they're getting away with that. Maybe something to look into. So for you, this message on there, if you want have a good day.
Speaker 5: You know, it was me who was talking about having my policy canceled, but it was just a bonehead.
Speaker 4: To move on my part.
Speaker 5: You just have to re up it and like have them reassess it and you know, make sure everything's correct or whatever, and then my mortgage company started a new policy for me that was more expensive, and I still have a dealt with that to get me back to a lower rate.
Speaker 4: But what, man, what our friend here is talking about.
Speaker 5: I can't that as Oh wow, I mean, I guess all bets are off now, guys.
Speaker 3: Huh, yeah, Matt, we talked about this a little bit off air. I think, what is What's something that really stood out to you about this?
Speaker 2: Just the fact that I have homeowners insurance and I'm nervous about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like if you had a trampoline or something, you know, and you said you didn't and they caught you, that could be a game.
Speaker 4: That could be a deal breaking.
Speaker 2: Well, when I first moved in, I think about the HOA required everybody in the neighborhood to pressure wash the sides of their houses because it was getting insightly round here, guys. And it's something that I did, and it was expensive. It wasn't cheap. It's expensive to have that kind of service done. And I was thinking about when I was first moving in, all of the junk that I moved out of the house, and some of it I kept stored kind of on the sides of the house before I knew exactly what to do with it, or I could you know, have the money to have some have somebody come out and take it to a junk yard or something. Well, yeah, I mean take.
Speaker 3: It to the freeport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it was just trying to figure out, you know, budgeting and how and timing right, how to get things done. And if my home insurance company decided to fly a drone over at a time when I've got a bunch of junk what looks like, you know, refuse or hoarding outside of my house, they might think twice and do something take action like this, right, I think maybe everybody needs to think about that, including stuff like how old is your roof? Is there just a little bit of moss on your roof even though it's not that old, but some mosses growing. Is there anything that makes your house look like it could be in disrepair even if it's not.
Speaker 3: Even if it's from a satellite.
Speaker 5: But there should be a transparency behind the criteria for making those kind of judgment calls, like you know, like if you you can't just cancel somebody's you could maybe get with that there's something up and then you send an inspector out to confirm and actually touch the tiles and gave me I don't think you should be I mean, that's just overkill, man.
Speaker 3: It is legislation. First off, Kbeza Devaka, we appreciate your time, and you're bringing up something that has been a mutual sort of fascination of this group for a little while now, and fascination that only grows the way this stuff is presented. To answer your question, is the calculus on the side of private insurance companies is that this is ultimately a cost saving measure.
Speaker 4: For all the.
Speaker 3: All the policy holders for a given insurance company, because they're saying, hey, if we're to your example, Matt, if we're using satellite photography right or drones to monitor the vibe of a roof right to look at the picture and make a guest there, then that saves us money, argues the company. That saves our policy holder money because now we are not sending a physical boots on the ground adjuster to assess the roof.
Speaker 2: Well, and it gives us a good reason to increase the policy. Right, if we come up with a bunch of problems that have to be addressed and you've only got let's say ninety days, sixty days, forty five days to address those things, or you know, bad things gonna happen, at least for you to be a bad thing for them would be a great thing if your policy went up by just a couple hundred dollars or even one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe that. The weird thing about some of these changes or these mandated threshold increases from a private company is you can do something very clever with your order of operations. You could say thirty days to react, just a hypothetical example. And maybe the notification comes through the post and it takes about two weeks to get there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, well, and it depends on where you live too, because there are laws on the books about what insurance company have to do, how much time they have to give you or notice but they have to give you before they cancel your policy. It's the same thing if you if you rent property, let's say you're whoever you are renting that property from. There are rules on the books, depending on where you live, about what they can do, how they can increase your rent, what kind of notice that requires, and a bunch of things. Right, Basically, they have to communicate to you because you're in that relationship with a landlord. That word I don't like it, I know, but that's the kind of deal here. But these aren't This is your landlord. This is a company that is helping ensure your safety and well being and the safety of your not only your family who lives with you, but your stuff. You know.
Speaker 3: It's also it's also it's in such a strange position legally because it is a private company that you are required by law to mess with. You can you can, ostensibly, legally in the United States, say I will never visit a shoe store in my life. You know, maybe I'll get some hand me down shoes, but I'm not messing with big Foot locker or whatever.
Speaker 2: But Bigfoot there it is.
Speaker 3: But in this one, in this situation, one must have this insurance to own a house, one must have this insurance to operate a motor vehicle or someone you know. So it's it's tremendously convenient and advantageous for the private entities that arguably have poached a part of the living process that should have been relegated to government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely agree. Let's jump really quickly, is jump to a couple of articles that were mentioned there by Cabeza Devaka, which we're not sure if that's a reference to Alvar Nunezvaka or just cow's head. You're gonna have to let us know in another voicemail.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 2: Alvar Nunez of the Combizita Vakas was a Spanish explorers see so let's go to this one. This is an article from Boston twenty five News and WFTV dot com. It was posted May thirty first, twenty twenty four. The title here is insurance companies canceling homeowners policies using Drone Comma aerial photos, and it gives a couple of very concrete examples where one homeowner was sent a list of repairs that needed to be done on his house. He was given sixty days to come up with a plan to address all of these things, such as get the moss off your roof, trim back all those trees that are hanging over your roof, and uh oh, you need to replace a bunch of shingles in specific sections of the house. How would they know that stuff? Wow, did somebody come out and get on the roof and do a big inspection, or even just take photos walking around the house. No, there were drone photos that were used. Drone flew out, took a look and said, hey, lots of problems with this house. Guys, we need to send him a notice, and they gave him sixty days. But apparently he couldn't you know, a lot of money, by the way, to do all these things. Sure, you can't drop that on somebody who's on a budget. By the way, we're all on budgets. Drop that on somebody who's on a budget, and then say get it done in sixty days or you're done, You're cooked. No more home insurance for you. That's exactly what they did. He tried to get some work done, sent them his progress basically say hey, I'm working on it. I'm doing everything i possibly can. I'm still paying y'all. By the way, remember I paid y'all. I'm gonna pay you more money for my hown homeowner's insurance. And they said, no, we're going to cancel. We're going to cancel the homeowner's policy. So that's what they did. And it's crazy because in Massachusetts, you as a the home insurance provider, you have to give a forty five day written notice before your policy, before you can expire someone's policy, right, And it's not that way in every state. Some places have a bigger time window, some a little bit shorter, And when you're using things that could be inaccurate, like drone footage, aerial photos, satellite imagery that look, let's say there's a human actually going through and verifying all of this stuff. That's best case scenario. They can match up your actual property with those photos. But let's say it's being AI assisted, as most things are now, there is a good chance that your neighbor's house is the one that's got some really bad problems with it, but they think it's your house because Google Maps is pretty good, but it's not perfect, and sometimes they get addresses wrong. Sometimes the satellite imagery is a little off compared to what it should be, or it's old.
Speaker 3: Think about how bad facial recognition is for humans. This is the same problem writ large in terms of identifying specific homes. And also, I love the point you're making there, Matt and Cabeza. I think you can agree. One of the big issues is the state by state determination. Right. Some states are on the side of the people living in that state. Other states are strongly on the side of the private corporations in the insurance business who want to, of course maximize profits. And it's not inherently sinister, that's how corporations work. But if you live in a place where the state that you pay taxes to is very much not on your side, and these kind of things, we can't blame people who might say, hey, is this somewhat treason us? It's definitely unethical. Yeah, right, just so, and with this, you know what we see, I would argue the BESA is a trend that shall only escalate unless there is serious legislative action state by state. Then this is not going to This is not going to fade away like you know, like using chat GPT for papers or using what's the other oh NFTs. It's not going to fade away like that. The money is too good, it's proven, and if everything is above board, then maybe it does save money for policyholders.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to be fair.
Speaker 3: I'm endeavoring to be fair.
Speaker 2: I love it, you know, is not trying to be fair. Whoever is serving me ads on CBS eight dot com because good what again, they're giving me a lot of senior discount ads going on here like like and we're not talking high school scene. We're talking like fifty five plus or whatever.
Speaker 3: Are you getting, Well, here's the deal. Here's how you can tell what they think of you. Are you getting ads for Golden Corral discounts or are you getting like Platinum Corral discounts.
Speaker 2: This is for senior Internet. It's only ten dollars a month apparently, Twilight Corral.
Speaker 4: Twilight Coral discount. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I went to a music concert last night and realiz real quick, like this bad.
Speaker 4: Is an old crowd future islands.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: It was really really good, but it was just I looked around and I was like, there's a bunch.
Speaker 4: Of olds here.
Speaker 2: Oh geez oh olds. But the whole home insurance being canceled thing because an individual homeowner's home is not in the best state, at least according to the drone footage. That's one problem. The other big problem that's happening is that these same insurance companies are dropping coverage because the homes are in a region that are being affected more and more and more and more by climate catastrophes. Here we go by weather, right, yes, And that is a huge, huge issue that we are going to talk about in a future episode along with this stuff too. I think we'll probably at least mention it because home insurance, as we've talked about before, car insurance, health insurance, it's all one big weird racket where everybody pays a bunch of money in and then they only have to pay a percentage of that out. The rest of it is profits. When it's a privatized company, you know, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Used to work in something like insurance.
Speaker 5: Oh, and they do their damnedest to pay you as little as possible, if not nothing.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, So anything that makes the removal of the bad policies more easy for those companies, they're going to jump on it, and they're going to do it. So we just as was as Ben was talking about with the legislation, we just need to keep our eyes and ears open for this stuff.
Speaker 3: And then also, if your quarterly profits start to get on the wrong side of red or black ink, you can go run and cry to the local government that you've already been kind of paying off for a while in lobbying you the insurer can go and say, hey, you know, just get a golf game right. Helpful corporate policy is one golf game. Away and this is this is another thing I want to make sure we mentioned this. Folks, spare a moment of empathy for the private insurers because they also have to pay for drone insurance, which is seriously one of the fastest growing private insurance. Yeah, and they're hard to fly, you know what I mean. A lot of people buy a drone and then crash it immediately. We've seen it all.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great YouTube channel, drone crash crash.
Speaker 5: Do you know they sell drones at Costco?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Pretty nice ones.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, man, those digis digs.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the dystopian pro tip before we move on. You could buy a now, or you could just wait until your local government mandates that everybody has one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, following you. Oh no, I don't want that, you know. I do want to see another ad A quiet Place day one apparently that's coming nice soon. I want to see that also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, drone is just a cell phone with wings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. If the wings function like the larger birds you know that have that they push down really hard and then just kind of glide for a little bit, then push down really hard. I would love to see that.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: So, with all of that. Thank you so much co Visitovaka for letting us know by that situation. We hope everything works out and it's okay, and let us know how it goes. Give us an update at some point. We'll be right back with more messages from you.
Speaker 5: And we've returned with another message from the public. That's right, that's you. You are the public conspiracy realists out there. Boy, we got some good ones today and I'm gonna get right to it. We've got one from I believe a friend of yours, Ben Skippy, the Prozac elf. I think you guys have done some Internet chattings in the past, and I believe we've read some missives from Skippy, But this one, as I did teas in this week's Strange News episode, does regard the type of off label prescriptions that we were discussing both in the Strange News episode and in our previous episode on neuotropics.
Speaker 4: So here we go.
Speaker 5: Good evening, a gentleman. I'm dropping a note regarding something that Noel said about insurance and Ozimpic on your neuotropics episodes. A Zimpic is part of a class of drugs intended initially for the treatment of type two diabetes, a condition I have, as did members of my patriarchal line, reaching back three generations.
Speaker 4: At least.
Speaker 5: While outrageously expensive at full retail price, it was easy to get insurance to cover these types of drugs once upon a time because they effectively lowered the patient's long term insulin resistance. Sadly, that is no longer the case. The off label use of these drugs for strictly cosmetic weight loss purposes has caused insurance companies to strongly curtail and in some cases discontinue coverage of this class of drug. Where I used to pay twenty dollars per month two years ago for the formulation that worked best for me, marketed under the brand name Munjaro, it now cost me three hundred and sixty two dollars per month. I've already been told that going forward it will be twelve hundred dollars a month next year if I want to continue. That's enough per ounce. You'd think it was printer ink. Not dying is damn expensive these days, fellas, But I guess it's fine so long as a few well to do folks can knock off twenty pounds should you ach use any part of this on air.
Speaker 4: I've called in before, Skippy the Prozac el. Thank you, and I truly love your show. Skippy.
Speaker 5: You are speaking the language of some of the conversations that we've been having lately, both in the Neotropics episodes and.
Speaker 4: In other strange news.
Speaker 5: This has really been kind of a fascinating time for this whole off label thing. It just feels very wild West, and you know, it turns out it can result in folks figuring out some drugs.
Speaker 4: That have been around for a long time might be good for other stuff.
Speaker 5: And it just feels very like experimenting to me, And I'm not I've made my put in my two cents soapbox about how I think it doesn't feel right to me. But I have had doctors talk usually the word off label before, and I think I've made no secrets about the fact that I did try to lose a little weight to try one of these. I believe they're called terzep tides or some glue tithes perhaps, I think. And the one that I tried was Manjaro, but it was made in a compounding lab and I just the news started coming out about it having real weird side effects. But my doctor did prescribe it to me off label, and my insurance company promptly rejected covering it, and it would have cost about thirteen hundred bucks a month. Obviously, that's something that I can say, you know what, maybe I'll hit the gym more and watch what I eat. That's what I can do. I don't need to pay that, which is what I've been doing, and I feel all the better for it. But someone like Skippy doesn't have the luxury you just say, maybe I won't take my life saving medication that allows my body to process insulindifferently, you just stuck paying them at twelve hundred. And it's all of these kind of Hollywood a holes that it's not just in Hollywood. And and again I'm being conn be honest, I count myself among them, though I did discontinue that are causing the insurance companies to hold hog not cover this drug.
Speaker 4: Even for the people that need it.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, I think we're aiming at the wrong person here, just because I don't think it's the end user's fault they found a way to make use of it. I think it's the it's the company look at those numbers twenty dollars per month to twelve hundred dollars per month. Do you guys know how much of a percentage increase that is or i e. The profits per human being five thousand, nine hundred percent increase. If those are the actual numbers increase in profit for the company producing, you can't do it.
Speaker 5: And then, you know, as much as we like to poo poo insurance, we just we can't tell the whole segment doing it. It's kind of a messed up industry in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's the insurance companies that fault because they're getting flooded by requests to ensure this the use of this medication. And my doctor even said, I kind of know what to say to get the insurance company to cover it. Wow, Like he said that to me, and I was like, that's bold, because you know that's exactly right. You know, like, what are you gonna, you know, duke the stats there or whatever. It seems like your pill mill story, Matt. Honestly, the way some of these doctors toss out these offers of these prescriptions does feel vaguely pill mill ish and you can sell it.
Speaker 2: No, you you could still sell it for twenty dollars a pop, for one hundred dollars a month, right, Like that's still a massive increase these companies demand.
Speaker 4: Why you got to just let the demand be.
Speaker 5: The I guess you know what we talked about, like farmer brow and the whole thing with what's his face screlly, you know, not to mention what he's done to the Wu Tang clan.
Speaker 4: Don't even get me started there.
Speaker 5: But you know, his whole thing about jacking up these life saving jacking up the profits for the prices for these life saving drugs to put profits first.
Speaker 4: And unfortunately, because of the system.
Speaker 5: That we find ourselves in, you know, with like pure capitalism, that's not only is that okay, it's sort of like the name of the game. And I just feel like there should be a different class classification for stuff like this, where there should be regulations that don't maybe there are, do you guys know, aren't there protections for things like this that you can't just you shouldn't be able to do this. I just don't understand how it's allowed.
Speaker 3: Well, first off, Skippy, great to hear from you, man. I love interacting with the social media, always realize you could reach out and touch faith to your question. No, the idea of protections, like Matt was saying earlier, and like we said in previous episodes, the pickle is it goes state by state. Right, There's not There are federal level regulations, but they are often as vague as the language of the Constitution or the first ten Amendments. They're saying stuff like in general to do this, and a lot of the people who are the watchdogs for those federal institutions, and indeed even the state level institutions later go through the revolving door and work for the same companies that they were supposed to regulate.
Speaker 5: And it's also they figure out how to loophole it further because they've been on the inside of it.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: And it also falls to mind like this is a global thing. Right. India not too long ago gotten a huge kerfuffle with pharmaceutical companies because they said, we're not going to let people die because you have a price point on a drug, you know, so we are going to make our own version of the drug and we will distribute it at cost of production. This is something we run into with all kinds of industries in the United States and in the international sphere too, Like if future historians are going to think it is absolutely bonkers that the exact same chemical substance would cost you know, twenty bucks in one place and then two hundred bucks in another. There's nothing different about it. It's just the location of the person who needs help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be awesome if they could somehow officially separate the drugs. And I know these companies have been attempting to separate their two versions of the drug, right, one specifically for someone who needs to regulate blood sugar and then someone who wants to use it as a weight loss adjunct. They've attempted to do that, but I don't know, it's almost like still putting it on the companies to make those those distinctions. And it hasn't moved the price point that much.
Speaker 3: Right, And there's a great deal of opposition right to fundamentally changing these price models. And we have to understand, you know that for a lot of people working for these companies, that price model is how they make their livelihood. No, while you're talking, I went and got the snarkiest book in this part of my library and I have literally been recommended this when I'm arguing things that are quote unquote too radical. Could you read the title of.
Speaker 4: This book Economics for Dummies.
Speaker 3: Which I think is a mean non answer when someone asked why the healthcare system is so broken?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, let me google that for you. No, the Dummies series is very helpful demystification tool, I would argue, and I could probably brush up on some of that stuff myself, but I don't know, Like I just yeah, broken is exactly the right word for so many reasons we've actually talked about in the last couple of episodes and depth. But this just feels like such a cash grab. And like now I mentioned mail order pharmaceuticals, like through.
Speaker 4: Companies like Him's and hers.
Speaker 5: Sure they are actually starting to carry I guess what you might call a more generic version of sozembic.
Speaker 4: That you can get on mail order.
Speaker 5: So I guess they're a business model that's sort of responding So the kind of crises we're talking about here. Now, that was one question that I had too, with the compounded lab versions of like not the officially packaged Manjarro. It was like, aren't these proprietary formulas like, how is there a lab you know, formulated version. I guess these have been around a lot longer than we realize, because they've been used for things that maybe aren't making the news, just people's lives, you know, like regulating they're in their insulin processing abilities. But now all of a sudden they're being used for this other purpose, and people think that they're brand new, they've just like been created like overnight, and that's just not the.
Speaker 3: Case, yeah, because otherwise they would not have heard of these substances unless they have the specific need, right. It's it's like, why would you know about the local politics in Indonesia unless you are in fact living in that part Indonesia, you know what I mean. It's not saying people are ignoring stuff. It just doesn't clock or it doesn't ping on their radar. And I think you hit on something that is incredibly important that we need to realize. When a drug is released, discovered, synthesized, approved for use, that doesn't mean people stop researching it, right, They continue to see what other sorts of efficacy or damaging side effects may be inherent in that substance well.
Speaker 5: And inherent The whole off label thing is one reason that I didn't even you know, pursue further continuing with these medications, there are a lot of unpredictable and unexpected side effects that have started to make the news about problems with digestion. People that have been taking these and like literally not able to digest food. And that's the kind of stuff that you really only find out about in like longitudinal studies. And with this off label stuf, it just feels like they're almost bypassing.
Speaker 4: Proper FDA you know, vetting. I guess not sure the FDA is let the end all be all.
Speaker 5: Certainly something to be desired there too, in terms of the way things are often somewhat rushed out, but we are steam I see some real horrific stories about people like being eaten alive from the inside by the effects of these just to you know, lose a few pounds and look cute on the red carpet or whatever.
Speaker 3: There are no panaces, right, we can argue, just like botox, the social media pressure has pushed people to make decisions they may not have made otherwise. And to the question about how these compounding pharmacies can exist, it is very similar to the idea of designer drugs or chemical analog drugs. So one little tweak, right, the US government is required, at least this country is required to fully define the drug they are calling illegal or criminalizing. And then if you are Walter White enough, you know, or Olsily enough, you can go in. You can make a little twitch on it and then boom, it's technically a brand new thing. And compounding pharmacies have that nimbleness, they have that agility.
Speaker 5: That's right, and then that that does that. That was my understanding as well. And my last thing is the good good news is skipping the prozac elf is that this is big money. There are interested parties that want to continue to make big money. So Eli Lilly, being a massive pharmaceutical company, is investing in additional five point three billion dollars into a new manufacturing site for you know, it's funny now in the writing now, it's almost it's so annoying. It says boosting production for its weight loss and diabetes medications. Mancho and zebut I would argue it should be diabetes and weight losses.
Speaker 2: You know, that's not worth the money, is dude?
Speaker 5: No, that's right, But this is you know this Forbes piece almost reads like a frickin' press release, but yeah, it says the investment will add two hundred full time jobs at the site, including positions for engineer, scientists, operating personnel, and lab technicians. Let's see, it is in Lebanon, Indiana, so uh, there you go. And with this announcement, shares of Eli Lily up thirty nine percent this year arose a little bit, so Eli Lily might be a good a goodbye eighth eight sixty nine a share.
Speaker 4: So you know, I can't get more than one or two of those US dollars. Yeah, so like you know, Amazon.
Speaker 5: Shares are I think, you know, in the five or six hundred dollars range.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna wait for the ben Books conversion fair enough, it's coming.
Speaker 4: It's coming. But I don't know if you guys have any last words on this one.
Speaker 5: I think it's an interesting one. I really appreciate Skippy hipping us to the inside perspective because I've known other people with insulin issues and you know, various forms of diabetes, and it is something that affects your life daily in terms of your ability to just doce normal stuff. And if you're not getting these medications. By the way, guys, last thing, last thing around Atlanta. Have you ever seen these signs people selling like black market diabetes medication. It's a thing, and it's because it is prohibitively expensive and sometimes difficult to get that people who require this stuff have to turn to the black market. WHA, let's take a quick break and hear another word from our sponsors. We'll be back with one more piece of listener mail, and.
Speaker 3: We have returned a couple of things. We want to have a letter from home. But before we do that, we want to give a big shout out to Ryan. Ryan, you wrote the following, good afternoon. Have you all done an episode on the move group the Philly police bombed in nineteen eighty five. Really dig this show and Ryan back at you man, Thank you so much for this, because we have a lot to talk about when it comes to the move bombing. Full disclosure. We have an episode on We have a couple of episodes on the way about specific movements that were attacked with state level action. Shout out to the American Indian Movement in particular. But here's the skinny for anybody who doesn't know. On May thirteenth, nineteen eighty five, the Philadelphia Police Department was at a Loggerhead moment with a black liberation organization called MOVE, which exists today. MOVE was originally called the Christian Movement for Life. It currently describes itself as a commune of sorts, a communal organization advocating for what they would call natural laws and natural living. They were founded in Philly in nineteen seventy two by a guy born Vincent Leaphart, who later changed his name to John Africa. Have you guys heard about the MOVE bombing?
Speaker 4: We have.
Speaker 2: It might just be off air discussions, but we've talked about this before in relation to another episode. I think it was around the time actually we just put out our Class Hampton episode. We were talking about similar actions that were taken and then we you know, we were talking about Waco and Ruby Ridge and those things. The MOVE attack maybe I don't know what you want to call it, but that was a similar thing where it seemed like a pretty aggressive set of actions taken against a group that didn't I know, this one's this one's a little more well, they're all complicated, right, all those situations, but I don't know, I don't know the specifics.
Speaker 3: This one's a sticky one. Yeah, and we did. You're absolutely correct and thinking about we did mention some of these these other altercations, which is almost a dismissive word, and we don't mean it in that sense. But these conflicts, right, what you could call battles, you know, in the sense of war studies. The Philadelphia Police Department drop two explosive devices from a helicopter onto a house occupied by MOVE. The members of the organization MOVE, you have to agree with their ideology or specifics thereof. They were civilians. And what happens when you drop explosives on old houses in Philadelphia? Spoiler, they catch on fire. And what do you do if you are a first responder, if you're the Philly Fire Departments or you're the PHILLYPD Well, you're supposed to stop the fire and you're supposed to help the people caught in those flames. Instead, the Philadelphia Police Department just watch the fire burn. They just let it go for a while. AKA, teach you move a lesson.
Speaker 4: Jesus. Yeah, that's like joker type behavior.
Speaker 3: It destroyed sixty one homes over two city blocks. The Philadelphia Police Department did this. It is not a conspiracy theory.
Speaker 5: This is a fire department from Fahrenheit four fifty one we're talking about.
Speaker 2: It's intense, man, Okay, I just joked to.
Speaker 3: Evacuate the surrounding homes.
Speaker 2: To be clear, they did, but they also killed five adults or five children and six adults.
Speaker 3: Five children and six adults they did. They also left two hundred and fifty people homeless.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's a quote in some of the writing about this that I completely forgot that they showed up and they said according to uh yeah, according to some official this is actual reporting. This is what the police said. Quote, attention, move, this is a you have to abide by the laws of the United States. And they were literally given fifteen minutes to get out of house, and when they didn't, it just escalated, escalated, escalated.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, what's their beef with this organization?
Speaker 4: Exactly? Like I get the gist, I think, but.
Speaker 3: They were all, yeah, parole, I would say, state actions subjugating black Americans, Oh yeah, is the primary thesis here.
Speaker 2: But the official crimes that were committed were a parole viola. A couple of people were content of court because they didn't show.
Speaker 3: Up yet, right, there was a zoning thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they had firearms, right.
Speaker 3: And this was the second of one of their major altercations with Philadelphia Police in nineteen seventy eight. There was an earlier standoff. One officer from PHILLYPD died. Sixteen first responders, meaning firefighters and officers, were wounded, as well as members of the organization Moved itself. What we see here differs depending on the perspective of the observer. It is a sociological version of what we could call the observer effect. If you find yourself very much opposed to the ideology of the Move organization, then you may be tempted to think in terms of a greater good. Right, Philly PD did an objectively evil thing, but they did it to prevent further evil things. But if you are on the side of I don't like state power cracking down on people just because they disagree with me, you know, or even if indeed just objectively, if you look at the stats of parole violations state by state, right or or some you know, some problematic gun ownership stuff right, contempt of court. A ton of people. Unfortunately, some of us listening right now are technically in contempt to court. You just don't know it because you got a traffic ticket you ignored he didn't show up. Now you're in contempt. You might have one more.
Speaker 4: Out up in jail for that very reason.
Speaker 5: I had mailed in a payment for a traffic citation and it didn't get there in time, or didn't get there, and then I got into a little thunder bender and I was very much in contempt of court and I got taken to jail and it sucked. And you know who was in that jail cell with me a dude who had been in a very similar situation but couldn't afford to get bail bonded out and had lost his job as a result of being held there for multiple days.
Speaker 4: So where's the money gonna come from? Now? The government? I'm sorry, and it's sort of self defeated.
Speaker 5: It's just so the lack of humanitarianism, you know in some of these organizations is mind boggle.
Speaker 2: We'll get it when you make all the goods you'll produce for us whilst in prisons.
Speaker 3: Also, this probation company as a private entity and you have a subscription fee. So back to the move organization here to answer some of your questions. We do know that later there was a federal lawsuit and they did find PHILLYPD guilty of violating constitutional productions and of the excessive use of force. However, make no mistake, it's not bringing those civilians back from the dead. And this is one of those stories that becomes kind of easy to ignore. And the reason we're bringing this out here first off, thank you, Ryan, is we want to hear more stories like this. History is always closer than it looks in the rear view mirror. Nineteen eighty five was not that long ago, right, and we see other actions like this in multiple instances. As Matt noted, please check out our earlier episode Who Killed Fred Hampton? It is worth a listen, even if you don't find yourself, you know, particularly uh enthused by this type of conspiracy. These conspiracies are real. Never forget it goes deeper than the government's debt. I'm gonna stop freestyling. H We have we have one other thing one to move on to. Guys. I don't know if you saw the news, but Walmart is going to replace it's uh its physical price tags with digital signs.
Speaker 5: Are they gonna have dynamic pricing?
Speaker 4: Like they're talking about.
Speaker 3: They're like they're pinky squear levels saying no, whoa.
Speaker 2: Reminds me of Have you guys been in a best Buy recently?
Speaker 3: No? You know, I'm frugal. I go to second best Buy.
Speaker 2: Second best purchases. But in best Buy I didn't know this. All their price tags are digital things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're on a little like a little almost like a thermostat looking.
Speaker 2: Well, no, but if you look at them into my eye at least, it looks like what are those tablets that are meant to paper or whatever? They're meant to look.
Speaker 4: Like Kendall e Yes, I think they call it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like that to me. So when I look at it, I think there's a piece of paper behind that piece of plastic.
Speaker 4: It's very matt like. Yes, but there was one with.
Speaker 2: An error on it, and it was like error and wait, why would they put that in there?
Speaker 3: I would I would totally buy something with my errors. Would my errors be a currency?
Speaker 4: I will say?
Speaker 5: The thought of hand pricing, the amount of inventory that a big box store like that would have is mind boggling to me. Is I think this is good for everybody? I don't necessarily think it'll affect jobs because people there's not just one job for the price tagging. I mean it certainly, you know, could have consolidation potential. But I fully applaud this move.
Speaker 3: I'm going, well, I'll get to that point in second. We've got we've got another letter. I'll keep this brief from Nutcase, who says, hey, guys, Nutcase from Tennessee. Here, I just heard the rent software conversation one to share other markets with you that use similar evils, I've evils, Nutcase. I've been in the construction industry for close to thirty years and recently learned how the company I work for, as well as many other companies, charge for service work. I do residential HVAC, plumbing and gas piping currently, and we use a software called house Call for pricing and billing. The prices are set with a few ways to alter them, like a digital cartel. Some of the prices are three hundred to four hundred percent markups. Some are higher. For example, a twenty five pounds can of free on is three hundred and seventy nine dollars at contractor prices. I was billed nine hundred and thirty eight dollars for ten pounds at my home. Yeah, and our service plumber continues. Nutcase was called to set three toilets for a customer who provided the toilets. The bill was seven hundred and fifty bucks. Just let you know this pricing, dynamic pricing is in other trades as well as in the real estate industry. Love the show. Really appreciate the way you all try to stay non biased on most topics. Sometimes, I know it gets hard to do that. Keep up the good work. This is what got me because it came in. This correspondence came in the same time the Walmart news broke and in defense to that earlier point, you anticipated their no. In defense, it is siss a fia to have to go through because the folks who are changing those physical tags, they're usually working overnight. It's like long division. There aren't a ton of shortcuts, right or good audio editing, They're not a ton of shortcuts. So you have to go product by product, rip off the little you know, three p. Fifty nine and then put in the little three forty nine and you start to think, what is life?
Speaker 2: I was telling you guys off air, I just went a store to get something for my son. Yeah, And while I was in there, the employees were doing a exactly what you're describing, going around and changing all of the price tags on all of the stuff. And it's interesting because it was such a monotonous thing to do that took so much time. It was just crazy to watch it happen at the entire time I was in the store, which is like forty five minutes or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with the idea, though it seems inevitable, like you were talking about with Best Buy. As long as everyone's a good faith actor, this is a actionable solution and saving money, it's helping people. It's definitely helping the psychology or the psychological state and mental wellness of some of the employees. But still the shadow of surge pricing, dynamic pricing looms. Right. It always starts as an incentive, the way that Kroger, a popular grocery store here in the United States, instituted, or i should say deployed the Kroger card. Right, give us some of your information and at first you will get a discount. But now if you go to any Kroger and you don't have that card, you will essentially be text right wow, just like social credit over in China. It starts as an opt in.
Speaker 5: Well, and like any kind of perceived you know, savings most of the time or whatever. Even we're talking about like shifting around, you know what, whether we pay tax or get more tariffs or whatever, you're paying for it somewhere.
Speaker 4: You're definitely paying for it somewhere.
Speaker 5: And in the case of to bring it background to what we talked about in the last listener Mail episode, to bring back around to social media, and if you're not paying anything for it, then you are the product the question there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And with this, I think we're going to ask our fellow conspiracy realists for more more first hand experience with what we will call dynamic pricing or surge pricing. And this goes you know, I thought this was a nice thematic thread with the concept of different pricing for the same drugs in different parts of the world. What is the actual price of a thing, a good, or a service, and indeed who should determine that price? Is there any recourse against bad faith actors here? I don't want to sound cynical, but I am almost entirely certain that digital price tags and brick and mortar stores are going to be the new normal, and I am likewise almost certain that they will be used to manipulate prices to the advantage of the stores.
Speaker 5: This is interesting, how it's a slow burned kind of or like a frog and boiling water. Where there are certain industries that we totally accept dynamic pricing.
Speaker 4: We don't like it, but we accept it.
Speaker 5: Airline tickets, even certain you know, fees and stuff for concert tickets or whatever. More so, the airline thing, hotel room rates, it all fluctuates depending on demand and supply. So it's not that far of a walk to think that.
Speaker 4: Could eventually just include.
Speaker 5: We know that McDonald's prices are up one thousand percent year over year or whatever, why not.
Speaker 4: Just just do that daily?
Speaker 3: You know, you remember when you could go to the dollar store and things cost just one dollar.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, Remember, I understand we're almost kidding ourselves that we're not already being dynamically priced. It just doesn't happen on the daily. It happens over a longer period of time.
Speaker 3: Just wait till it hits the hospitals. My dudes, it's on the way. We can't like that this is going to be the conclusion of our listener mail program, we like to end it with a little bit of a letter from home. This is a special one, guys. This is what we can call a letter from home. I r L talked with some locals who who appear to enjoy our podcast. We got made over at Elmere, so dropped off a book in a little T shirt with their buddy Sam, who is opinionated about case ideas.
Speaker 4: What's his take.
Speaker 5: Oh, he's for them, not sandwich.
Speaker 4: I need more than that. Oh we like them Sandwich.
Speaker 3: I didn't ask him that. We're exercising diplomacy. We've got to deepen the relationship before we get to the real geopolitical issues.
Speaker 4: Break a friendship the.
Speaker 2: Former security guard MTG.
Speaker 3: We also know there is a letter from home that will shout out to you, Sam. Thanks for supporting the show. We always love to be able to interact with people in the real world.
Speaker 4: And well Mayor has a fine case Ida. By the way, they.
Speaker 3: Have a great selection of case IDAs, which is a weird sentence to say at our jobs. But they have their green burrito with all.
Speaker 4: The veggies and stuff and the's spicy.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing. Here's the thing. Those burritos. Yes, agreed. It is known. They are amazing Elmere burritos. This is the way. However, they're big burritos. Those are like barrel ritos.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I've never eaten one in a single sitting green burrito.
Speaker 5: Qualified maybe there's a bigger one that I'm not aware of. But it is about you know, forearms.
Speaker 3: It's like a Popeye forearm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, full of good superpower and beuing veggies.
Speaker 3: And yes, we also have one letter from home that we might save for later. Stuff they don't want you to. Sandwich has given us, as a professional courtesy, a warning about our somewhat controversial discourse on lasagna, tacos and sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's that's what I was thinking about. That's what I was thinking about with former security guard and MTG that it was this specific warning.
Speaker 3: Dude, want to just play it. We'll go on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it goes.
Speaker 2: He just wants to point out a couple of things.
Speaker 4: Here we are.
Speaker 3: We're never above corrections and clarification, folks. We're all in this together. And we received a courteous diplomatic warning from a colleague of ours.
Speaker 8: Stuff that don't want you to know.
Speaker 7: It is, I Wayne, stuff that don't want you to standwich.
Speaker 8: And I'm actually calling in response to your most recent Listener Male episode where you discuss tacos and lasagna as well. Another way to say it, sandwiches directly into my purview.
Speaker 7: So I'm gonna have to ask y'all to keep your little podcast, yeah, little podcast to your own bounds. That's mine that goes into my area, my jurisdiction.
Speaker 8: It's stuff they don't wants you to standwich and you talk about sandwiches. I mean, it's a blatant violation of our treaty, and uh, there's probably gonna.
Speaker 7: Be some percussions, sanctions, just a new a formal warning, a professional courtesy, if you will, as a fellow podcaster.
Speaker 5: I don't have a podcast, Sandwich King.
Speaker 8: I'm a little disappointed, though luckily you didn't bring up hot dogs, but you were dangerously close.
Speaker 4: Hot dogs of sandwich hot dogs.
Speaker 8: Definitely look forward to a call from my fake lawyers and know that we're no longer friends. Goodbye, Wade, Wade.
Speaker 3: If this is how it ends, had a good run. I also look forward to, uh, you will also be hearing from our fake lawyers who are world class experts. By the way, dude in Sandwich law you know and h and I don't know. I just I love these letters from home because it.
Speaker 5: So much skin in this game. I don't think I heard his sandwich credential. Maybe I missed it.
Speaker 2: He is stuff. They don't want to watch Sandandwich so like, yeah, I mean, oh, that's his nickname. Yeah, that's his jurisdiction.
Speaker 3: It's his jurisdiction.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize it was so official.
Speaker 3: We're messing with big Sandwich.
Speaker 5: I feel like it was a missed opportunity that we should have gotten his take.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: I that's that's why I'm playing this man. I'm hoping Wayne, we need we need your boots on the ground, right. You're in the deli spiritually here, So tell us what more people need to know about.
Speaker 2: So well, he's from he was from Philly, so I mean, I bet he's got some sandwich knowledge.
Speaker 3: Gosh, yeah, what is Oh? No, I remember I ruined our Philly show one time because I asked people for the best Philly sandwich restaurant in Philly.
Speaker 4: You got Geno's and Pats Those are very Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought some folks were talking to us after the live show. But they just came up and argued about sandwiches in front of us, who was amazing.
Speaker 5: Ginos and Pats are right next to each other. Those are the kind of the more touristy ones. But then if you really talk to someone who knows their business, they won't even mention those. They'll mention some special hole in the wall off the beaten path, you know, Steak.
Speaker 3: Join So shout out to Cabeza Devaka, Shout out to Skippy the Prozac Elf. Shout out to Sam I'm calling you the Emperor Casadias from now on. Shout out to our new geopolitical rival stuff. They don't want you to sandwich And big thanks to Ryan and thanks also to everybody who took the time to write in, to contact us or support us on social media. Thanks for everybody who dialed our number. Join up with us. The exploration continues. Go to the edge of the map and walk with us into the dark. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 4: Find us online at the handle conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on.
Speaker 5: EXFKA, Twitter, Facebook, where we have our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy, And on YouTube, where we're throwing video content at you, Willy and or nilly. You can find it to the handle conspiracy to show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: If you've got a way to make phone calls, then point your device towards one eight three three st d WYTK. That's us. It's our voicemail system. When you choose to call, give yourself a cool nickname, and then say whatever you'd like. Just do include whether or not we can use your name and message on one of our listener mail episodes such as this one. If you've got more to say they can fit in that three minutes, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities, just realizing that we have a higher level of ethical behavior requirements than the US Supreme Court. Drop us a lie, be well aware. Sometimes the void writes back, We'll see you in the dark. Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.