Speaker 1: Now, the shotguns Starting golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here And.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, alright, did no man dart, your.
Speaker 3: Grudings are welcome to a Wednesday edition at the Shotgun Start. It is July first, Indy.
Speaker 2: How we do it?
Speaker 4: Bred Dan, I'm doing fantastic. I gotta say, what a what a great surprise. I didn't even realize that it was the first of the month recording. I mean that means July is going to be rate why because it started off with the first of the month recording. I think June was the first of the month recording, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Pretty much great month, great month for Windy Clark. It was a good month for Windy Clark, that for Greape. Since we bad month to be a bottle of grape looking to see it's next day. I suppose.
Speaker 3: Since we last talked, we had a resolution of the Travelers Championship, of an event you maligned I think a little too.
Speaker 2: I did you align it? I said, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed watching it.
Speaker 4: You you rather a cut to just send me out to the wolves on social media.
Speaker 3: I made you put it out there, and it was a rough cut. It wasn't a good luck for you. It was chopped in a way that made you look like you ranted and raved and raved about it and gave it no credit at all.
Speaker 4: You took away all the good things I said about it and just put me out for this is a sacrificial lamb for social media engagement. There's just absolutely disrespectful. And I love that, you know, I get, I get, you know, notifications of like you know, shotgun start has invited you to be a collaborator. Shotgun starts inviting you to post this to your story. No, no, no, you're just asking me to amplify your social media bait.
Speaker 5: There was no collaborate quest unlike you know, us sending a design disaster to Lost Marsh kind of a similar thing maybe to this. They didn't accept I did not collaborate with you on this, you said, clip and cut.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed watching the Travelers. I did say that part it happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think you pulled up I think you wanted to go harder, and I think you were ready to. And then I threw out a lot of positive comments. You had a Scottie Victor playoff, and you caught I couldn't go full bore the way you wanted to, judging from text earlier.
Speaker 4: In the day, actually was the opposite, because I watched the eclip and I was like, you know, maybe I went a little too hard, and I was thinking about before how you know, I wanted to go a little bit softer, but then the moment swept me away and I.
Speaker 2: Ended up going harder than I would have liked. Yeah, that's fine. If this is not be apologizing. And if you want such a.
Speaker 3: You know, if you want such shine of rainbows blown up your butt often paid for by sponsors or whatever else or conflicts of interest with various rights, this that or the.
Speaker 2: Other, go somewhere else. Go somewhere else.
Speaker 4: You could you could go go patronize an account that says they're not not affiliated with the tour even though they are.
Speaker 3: I uh, speaking of I got in the car yesterday and I put on some PGA tour video and.
Speaker 4: I drove your car while we were at Shitnacock, and I loved that. It was just like, yeah, it's a favorite in his radio. I'm clearly regularly listening to that in a car.
Speaker 3: I can't say prior to like the last six weeks, I've given it more than five minutes of my entire life this station, and now I will occasionally flip it on. They had two individuals on there saying GPC. I was just I almost wanted to record it. TPC River Highlands might be the best golf course on tour.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 3: Dnnis was one, So I assume that it's Dennis Paulsen, and how technically great it is because everybody should be shooting fifty eight given how short it is, and it's so technically good that they're not that they're not shooting fifty eight because it's so short. It's essentially all wedges, wedges, wedges, wedges on the back nine, and these guys.
Speaker 2: Got a struggle.
Speaker 3: They're shooting sixty eight and sixty sevens and so it's such a technically incredible golf course. And I was I was hollering, laughing, but it seemed like a direct rebuke to your take on Sunday Night Monday morning.
Speaker 2: But we did.
Speaker 3: There are people feel strongly about the event. It's a good event. It's a good event. I don't think they're going to build a new golf course in Connecticut where land is not cheap right now and just to I don't know, not fix something that's not really broken. I would say that the event is not broken. Of all the events on the tour, it's not broken at all. It's rather successful. Scotty Scheffler was not successful in getting across the line, hits it in closer than Victor was behind him in the fairway, hits first, stuffs it. Victor hits a very nice nine iron probably what three feet four feet farther away, similar line and drains it first. And Scotty miss his second and he does not, you know, leaves it high side, does not.
Speaker 2: Get the one.
Speaker 3: Another tough, tough loss close, but no cigar situation for Scotty. Is this permanently, irreparably damaging him And no, no, I was listening. I was watching Golf channel right after. You know, it was like one of those it was like talk.
Speaker 2: About a boom for like a.
Speaker 4: Morning golf Monday morning Golf channel coverage, Like I watched coming out of it. You know, it was kind of it was like an electric fifteen minutes of golf.
Speaker 2: Golf showed up ticket.
Speaker 4: You know, I loved Hovelin when he made the Potts reaction. I mean, he was just so like he knew how big that was. I thought he he kind of like this is one of the great aspects of match play.
Speaker 2: And I why I'm excited about.
Speaker 4: The tour probably going to match play for the playoffs is this psychology of like if I make the eight footer, it makes your putt. Because like psychologically, Scotty, I think, thought he was going to win and Victor, you know, he's standing in the fairway and he's he has to hit it close, and he hits it close.
Speaker 2: But like he had a hard putt.
Speaker 4: He had to make like an eight nine footer and he makes it. And at that point Scotty's putt, you had some stats person will tell me, I'm you know, it's actually the same length put and he had the same probability to make it. But that putt got two feet longer after Victor made his, and then he he just missed it. On the high side. He seemed to infer that he hit a good putt and then he he just had too much pace on it. But that wouldn't be a good putt because you had too much base on it.
Speaker 3: So the face is part of the putting. No, I like the notion. I think this was from uh, he took a run at you. I'm scrolling. He's took a run at your little our social cutout says bad take. Rick Golf's who may or may not be a real person on Twitter said, in my opinion, he just says Andy Johnson Friday with a bad take about TPC being a just graze in a bad court.
Speaker 2: Do you quote the video? Do you tweet the video? Tweeted the video. I love that we're giving him too much.
Speaker 5: Not too intrude here. I was just looking at the Instagram comments. You know who got involved in the Instagram comments? Who Trey Wingo said that you're stupid?
Speaker 6: Oh god, I love this what you guys are doing to me. Look at this, This is stephen A. We create like fake drama and now everybody's humming. Everybody's going for the bait. Wasn't bait? I have I have?
Speaker 3: I have know Andy thinks the golf course as a joke, I think that's not that's a well well held opinion.
Speaker 5: All Trey Wingo asked us to go talk to the players and see why they loved it so much. Oh my god, didn't tune in Lunch with the Boys where we asked both Shane Lowry and Russell Henley about the travelers. Get on that, Trey Wingo and then come.
Speaker 2: At us love.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're raising awareness like the player should be the source and the armiter of like the professional golfers, the ones who said it's a vacation and a week off tray.
Speaker 3: Where go go make some more thumbnails looking like your flabbergasted coming into golf. Look at this, we're just starting media beefs here. The Rick Golf's had an interesting take. I wonder if you've subscribed to this. Scheffler misses a five footer to lose the tournament. In my opinion, he lost it when he hit the better, better iron shot and approach all the pressure, so we should have hit him fifty feet away?
Speaker 2: What is he what's the suggestion here? You know, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: You lost And when he hit the better iron shot approach, should he aimed away from the flash? He aimed to the bunker, where should what is the suggestion here? Now I get it. The dynamic when Victor makes it on him, that putt changes, Yeah, but you still want to be closer to the whole than farther. It's it's like the penalty kick issue, right, I mean honestly, the pressure of a penalty kick, if it's do or die, right, that's that changes it. Then when you're the first kicker or the second kicker PK or whatever the terminology is. Like watching these last yesterday was electric. The late night in the game, the Morocco game, and then uh Germany really interesting. I know, probably the purest hate that the game has resolved that way. But you know, Morocco had to make one of two you know what great spots? What's that guy? Fourth was like the best? The guy kicking forth like if he misses, oh we still now we just got to make the fifth and final one. If I make, it's over. Essentially it's over the best spot. So it's of like Scheffler is sitting there pretty like I'm in tight A lot of pressure on Vicar. But as soon as Vicker changes, the dynamic, and that's what you're talking about with match play the pressure shifts immediately.
Speaker 5: You know, I think.
Speaker 2: This is a preposterous take. Should have hit it far, they should have hit it further away.
Speaker 4: That's like saying, hey, you know, they lost it when they got the wide open layup. They should have settled for a contested, mid range jump shot over that. But because the revisionist history of this is so preposterous, because you can only play a shot by shot in golf, he.
Speaker 2: Was in the fairway hitting first, and he hit it to three feet. At no point was anybody watching like, oh, you should have hit it further away.
Speaker 4: Victor Hobbwood hit a great shot to eight or nine feet, and still while they're walking to the green, I'm like, uh, Scotty's gonna win. Scotty's gonna win. Victor has a putt that's less than fifty percent make rate. Scotty has a putt that I would say circumstantially was probably like an eighty percent make rate, you know, I know that analytically it's like a ninety seven percent make rate inside three feet or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I think it was measured two feet eight inches.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what exactly the number is on that, but anyways, I would say that he had it under no circumstances. Did he lose this by hitting it too close to the hole. I can't believe we're even talking about this. You're just you're trying to wind me up here.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I thought it was effing hilarious, the whole notion, and then I wanted to giggle about it. It's hilarious. He lost him when he hit it closer. Boom over. Anyways, Scotty loses.
Speaker 2: God, I wish I would have hit that to forty five feet. I wouldn't have lost Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know, you know what Scotty probably was wishing what he had hit it closer. Do you know what you do when when you hit a shot close and you're like five feet away, is like you're I've always like in my head, I'm like, God, I wish I would have hit it like two feet closer, feet closer.
Speaker 2: When I'm ten feet away. Do you know what I think about?
Speaker 4: Would have been nice to you a little bit closer when I'm twenty feet away?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I think? Never once in my life have I been like I wish I was further away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if all things being equal, if you're on the same line. Of course, if it's up pill versus break, last break, we're talking about on the same line. Obviously.
Speaker 4: I hate it when I hit a pro chests from one hundred and sixty yards to three feet.
Speaker 3: Do we make anything of this with Scotty, Like he's not winning this year like he used to. He's playing really well or very high level golf. Close could very well go on to win the Scottish in the Open in every playoffs event forever in August. You know, I don't want to say they start to compound or build on each other, but that can't happen. We just watched Roy McElroy go through ten years without a major when it felt like he should be winning, you know, one out of every six it felt like, or he was in one out of every four. It just you never know, even with the supreme talents. And I think he would have rather like he was happy you hit it closer. I think he would have rather won than lost. But I don't know that it's going to leave irreparable scar tissue. It's just it's it's been like probably a frustrating three months or so, right with a lot of clothes but no cigars for Scotti.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I you know, this is the funny stuff about golf. I think he looked better this week than he's looked in a long time. You know, I think Sunday was scratchy, but you know, the sixty obviously was kind of the tour de force that we're used to seeing, and we you know, in the sixty four was a great, great.
Speaker 2: Round, great opening round.
Speaker 4: I think the thing that I would be a little worried about is just the final round bugaboos. You know, He's had a lot of shots to get it across the line and just hasn't hasn't capitalized, And this is just somebody that we've grown accustomed to doing that he's I think, like the discourse last year and the year before was like what he's doing and making look so easy is so incredibly hard. And now he looks a little bit more human. And this is all under the veil of he is still by far the best player in the world. His consistency has been outstanding, but the dominance isn't there this year. It's like one of those things like PJ probably can attest to this, the the baseball statistics of like your score, your your record in one round one run games. Like when it when it's a close golf tournament, it kind of can go either way, and the bounces go one way or the other, and you might lose a bunch of times even though you put yourself in position to win. And that's why, like I think, in general, we're too hard on people that are in position to win and don't get it done, like I think golf is in general, and they're so quick to be like they choked.
Speaker 2: That's like the the Moniker. Choking is a lot.
Speaker 4: Of things, Choking shooting forty one on your opening nine because you just can't handle the moment. Choking is you know, the yeah, like what you do the first three holes of a final round. Choking is not like hey, he had a bunch of twelve foot looks and none of them went in. They were really close, but none of the went in, and it's like, hey, that guy didn't get across the line. Days like that happened, And I think what we're seeing with Scotty is an accumulation of a lot of days like that, and that can be really frustrating and where everything went his way. But most most importantly, he put himself into positions to blow out fields where there was no opportunity for a bad bounce here, a bad bounce there to derail his win or a mistake, a mental mistake. Right now, his game's not in the same space to where he is blowing out fields, and its Sunday becomes a ford On Conlon conclusion that he's going to win. That's the difference. Is he still the best player in the world? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Is he the same player that we've seen the last couple of years. Absolutely not, definitely not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that you start to think about I didn't mean to make this a big Scotti segment, but I think back of like how many under the Guns sundays did he have? Right that first Masters started, that was a big challenge with cam Smith, right, they were like kind of going at but then he could four put the final green and still win by his cound by the end of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this scoundrel didn't hang and hang in there at that time.
Speaker 3: You know that Quail he had some issues. He was driving it left and fixed it, but it wasn't like, you know, close at the end.
Speaker 2: So interesting dynamic.
Speaker 3: Maybe it needs to make a change this summer, and perhaps he needs to go to cotton, embrace the summer of cotton. Maybe that's any needs to make the change. As we flow into the summer of cotton.
Speaker 4: Fabric might keep him cooler under pressure. You and I are going on natural fabric. I've got my cotton on.
Speaker 3: What do you got the dewey pocket tea there, I've got pocket tea.
Speaker 4: I got a lot of work to do around the house, a ton, some of which is going to be outside.
Speaker 2: It's really warm. I'm gonna roll with cotton because that's this the summer of cotton. You're gonna do it. I love it.
Speaker 3: I saw somebody send us a photo and they're Andy Hoodie in ninety three D. I don't think we're going that far with the summer of cotton. That is a nice cotton piece. I'm in my vin Polo. I love this one, big time Vin Polo. It's like a very fine stripe, a lot of great colors. This is a pinkish hue. They've got a lot of great colors in the VN big supporter of the vin Polo or a liamp polo and some hot Maryland golf weather yesterday it was kind of it was great. It was great. It actually worked out. You can go procure your own cotton. They've got a bunch of new colors. I saw them promoting today a lot of new colors and a lot of new styles. At the b dratty website. You got to bdratty dot com. Use that promo code SGS thirty. You get thirty percent off. You've got the Liam, You've got the Vin, You've got a Tommy. There's a couple of several others. I got a Tommy Polo at a pro shop last week on my way out along Island. That's a good one with a thicker stripe, but Liam's the solid. Check it out bdratty dot com. The promo code is SGS thirty. You get thirty percent off. Embrace the summer of cotton. We're getting some fun, fun images from people out there in their cotton. All right, Where should we go next? Should we do Open qualifying? This is happening right now across the UK at four sites, five spots at each site. Matthew Jordan, our guy is through again, undoubtedly relentless. He's like BLOCKI with the camera. You can't be stopped when it comes to qualifying for the Open championship.
Speaker 2: You know what. The event of the week is qualifying, all right.
Speaker 4: I was gonna throw a bone to the Senior Open at Sciota, but that finish his second place.
Speaker 2: Sorry pj Okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: He Matthew Jordan gets out of the qualifier at West Lanx. I think they had a four for three playoff, three man playoff, three for one there, Sam Bearstow, Kazumi Kabori, Jose Luis Biastaire, Tiger, Christiansen. Tiger is going to play that he was in the British Open.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: So they got in from West Lanks. Matthew Jordan beats Joe Dean and Sam Easterbrook in the playoff at West Lanx. At Dundonald, we have jab.
Speaker 2: I feel like we.
Speaker 4: Gotta get Matthew Jordan on lunch with the boys. I think he'd be a good lunch with the boys.
Speaker 2: He might be good. That might be good.
Speaker 5: More more than welcome, I mean we'd be we'd be honored. It was the most level level, you know, even par episode possible. We'd keep it very straight and narrow, too high, not too.
Speaker 2: Down, toy like.
Speaker 3: Remember, I don't know if you'll recall that storyline. He's a member of Liverpool, so going back to that general region of the world for this open at Birkdale. We'll try to get him on lunch.
Speaker 4: Do you uh? That was a big week last week for the lunch with the boys. I don't know if everybody saw it, but they're on YouTube Shane Lowry and and the Rust Bus.
Speaker 2: Do you have any do you want to recap that?
Speaker 4: We should have We should have given some some air to this on Sunday.
Speaker 5: It's it's all good, We're good. Russell Henley stayed for the Monday playoff. I don't know if you guys caught that. He was like the Tigers big.
Speaker 2: Why is he a sky friend?
Speaker 5: Yes, he was scot.
Speaker 2: Together and peak ups and things.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, very famous to at the Ryder Cup. Yeah, Joseph jose have tried to pop him on rollback Russ. Russ was dodging, dip, dodge and dodge in the punches. Didn't want to make any definitive statements. Got some gambling tips from Shane Lowry on the on the World Cup Messy leading's goalscorer. He's up by two right now. I think Big Big Pig from Shane, it's great, great week.
Speaker 4: Hey, you kind of distracted me with summer cotton. I wanted to tell I just wanted to reiterate how cool the Victor hovelind win was in the sense of the way you framed it on Sunday.
Speaker 2: On Monday show about this guy was just beating.
Speaker 4: Balls at the US Open after he missed the cut, and it's just the perfect representation of golf where you missed the cut one week, your game, you know, doesn't feel great. He goes to work and then you know, a new day comes, the travelers comes, you know, a vacation for some and he goes he when's when's the event? Like it's freaking awesome. What a cool Well, just kind of kind of arc there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe you would say, and in a negative tone, it's just exposed as a golf course more as a place that permits fraud, allows fraud. A guy who's hitting balls for eight hours the week before can then just show up and just go boom boom boom and win. No, it was a great source is upset of my take, Trey Wingo, I love it.
Speaker 2: This is great. I feel like if you're insulted, maybe you're on the right side of it.
Speaker 3: You're making enemies of the right people. I think that's just I think that's a good intigation affirmation.
Speaker 4: Love Wingo too, from his ESPN days. I mean, like og Sports Center guy, I mean watching trade Wingo. Yeah, he was so good on the Sports Center commercials.
Speaker 3: All over the place Wingo, Shane Lowry and Lunch with the Boys.
Speaker 2: Love it well.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to give some due to Victor Hoblin because you just we were just talking about Scotty.
Speaker 2: Everything's free. He's great. I'm a big Hoblin guy.
Speaker 3: He seems like a super thoughtful dude and really like a credit to the PGA tour.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a great win, which I was calling out whether he won or loss. I thought it was great that he was at the line there, whether he he clinched it on Monday or not. That was kind of my point on Sunday and Scotty quite frankly to his credit class act.
Speaker 2: Scotty said, look.
Speaker 3: Victor's the kind of person that when they gets success, it's you're like happy to see that because you know it's hard one and harder. And I thought that was a good sentiment from Scotty it's hard to be mad about a guy who works that hard getting a victory. So we're at back to Dundonald a couple of detours there. Back to Dundonald links Matt Baldwin, Jack McDonald wins at dun Donald, David.
Speaker 2: Howard, I thought you'd like that.
Speaker 3: Neville Ryder, and Marcus Plunkett, who Brentley was tweeted about. Guy he went to army, played college golf at army, then he served in South Korea, and then he was in Colorado. Springs went to Afghanistan for six months. He started playing golf again after this, this deployment at Fort Carson in Colorado, and he decided to chase pro golf in May twenty twenty one. This is the guy who played college golf and army twenty sixteen, a decade ago, and then it goes all over the world on service twenty twenty one, decides maybe I'll try pro golf, gets to the Dakota's Money Tour list, wins the money list of Dakota's Tour in twenty four gets KFT status and now he finishes top five and he's going to his first major ever kind of a wild story got out of Army ten years ago.
Speaker 4: Amazing story, crazy stuff, Brentley too good sort honestly fantastic story. You know what it feels like, what this one's gonna be the Ryan Peak of of of this year's open where you know, the ball knowers hear this today the week of this thing is there's gonna be a thirty minute documentary on Golf Channel from Live from seven.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: This is, but I this is such a neat story. It is h I mean what a what a uh huh just completely obscure path to.
Speaker 2: A major championship. Yeah, in the modern era.
Speaker 4: This is And just think about, like I just like maybe my favorite part of of this story. Just think about his mentality inside the ropes versus you know, one of the players that has been flying private since age two twenty two went.
Speaker 3: To some SEC school, not Army or you know, it feels like you singled it out to Justin Thomas Base. No, I didn't what there could be any SEC graduate get out of here.
Speaker 2: You you just mentioned JT. I could have been.
Speaker 4: Caleb two SEC graduate.
Speaker 2: It's not big list a CC whatever.
Speaker 3: I was just saying anything that's not Army right anyways, Uh grants the Marcus Plunkett. I don't know if he's related to Jim Plunkett or not. Then Royal Sports.
Speaker 2: Who's your favorite Plunket? How many are there? I'd probably say it. I'd probably say Jim Punkin.
Speaker 3: Jim plunk It, He's probably the man, right. I may be on Marcus now though it at Sickport's at Bayard Scogan Ludwig's Ludwig's college teammate. Good week for Norway between qualifying there, beating Ivory Coast today and Victor winning on Monday.
Speaker 2: What a week for Norway.
Speaker 3: MJFE known to reputed a grumpy, grumpy boy Matthew Southgate who just gets through every year. Englishman gets through every year. He's like a Matthew Jordan's type. Peter Uline and big twan Antoine Rosner. I believe are you're five from.
Speaker 4: Defeat is totally When we're watching the World feed at three in the morning, there's gonna be like a ridiculous sum of MJ Defea cot Ridge just just wait, I'm four gag out ahead of this. He and Marcel seem just seemed to the cameras just go to them.
Speaker 2: The same feed. Yeah, it does feel like this year Peage. Can he look that up? I don't think he is. I don't think he is. Burnham and Barrow, last but least James Nicholas just continues on his heater after qualifying at sectionals for the US Open. He continues.
Speaker 3: Caleb Sarrat, speaking of SEC players, also gets in Tom Slowman, who I hope is a fast player. Would be great, Tom Slowman and then Aston Truslow and Alejandro de Castro Pierra are your five from Burnham and Barrow. This is happening live as we as we record Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: They had his feet going on RNA YouTube channel where people were losing their minds about the Brian brothers not being shown enough, which I find the comments were just lighting up the RNA. Where are the Brian brothers? Where are the Brian brothers? Then they finally showed him and they put the caption up Wesley Bryant and it wasn't him, it was somebody.
Speaker 2: Else, and they finally put him up.
Speaker 3: People lost their minds, but you know, good on that with the YouTube feet So that's qualifying for the Open Championship.
Speaker 2: Twenty spots today. Then they have that last chance qualifier that's on Monday, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Monday of that week at a little spice to a major championship weeks which can be long.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 4: Here, James Nickliss, I think he's around like fourteenth or fifteenth on the corn Ferry Tour points less. Qualified for the US Open, made the cut, no points awarded. Now has qualified for the Open Championship, no points awarded for that either. This is continues to just be such a blind spot of the tour. You should want these players to play in major championships. It's an opportunity for players that like James Nickliss has made the CU of the last two US Opens and has you know, he obviously he's a content creator as well. He's but his his like the number of people that know who James Nicholas is is greater because of these majors. You know, they provide a platform for players to be become better known and overall the golf ecosystem benefits when people like when you have these stories of qualifiers making runs like I still remember when Bo Hostler made the run at Olympic Club and that was like this huge splash pad. Now Bo Hostler's career hasn't turned out the way a lot of people thought he it would, but he was such a known commodity in the golf world. And it's just such an ideological miss by the tour in the sense that they don't award points for this, Like you you should clear the schedule and and really reward, not reward, but like encourage players to sign up and play these events because it gives you, Like everybody's always like, how do we build more marketable players? How do we build more marketable players? These events and good performances in the stories of them qualifying and who they are are awesome opportunities to build awareness to players. I think it's amazing that Caleb Sarat has qualified for the US.
Speaker 2: Open and the Open Championship.
Speaker 4: I like have way you know, he was obviously a great young talent, Like I have way more respect for his game now than I did six months ago. Obviously he's a live player, and like that's not doing the tour any good, but it's done Calebs Sarat really well. And if Calebs saratt plays on the PGA Tour, I'm always going to think back to this. I'm not gonna think about like, you know what, he went down to Panther Creek and he finished T ten.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. That was a gritty performance down there the KFT event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, just to be clear, it'll be interesting because now we're gonna have multiple points systems. Right, We're gonna have challengers points, We're gonna have champions points. And now you're gonna have challengers and champions in the US Open, I would imagine, or the British Open or what all these majors? Uh does a T five from a challenger at the US Open count for a certain amount of challenger points? Is a T five for a champion count for a certain amount of champion points? What's the currency exchange there? But right now it's nothing.
Speaker 4: I don't understand how they haven't been able to figure this out.
Speaker 2: There's FedEx points, to be clear, there has to be okay way to make these points relate pretty easily. Yeah, so something to work on.
Speaker 4: We're gonna saw all the qualifiers. Yeah, I thought Dick Tetor was on on the on the on the border.
Speaker 2: He didn't make it. Huh, Dick Teeter, No, didn't get through. Richard Teeter. Too bad. He'll guy. He's good. He's a good kid. Good kid.
Speaker 3: He needs to come on lunch with the boys. Let's get to our Let's get to our schedule for the week. Talk about a track two event. We're going to the Quad Cities the John Deere. Kind of a great field, honestly, really nice field at the John Deere Classic. A mix a mishmash of young players. Obviously Jackson Coyven making his pro debut. He's played pro events. This is debut as a pro.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is a TPC Deer run in Sylvis, Illinois. Great place to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the country. July second through fifth, TPCD run on Golf Channel four to seven and then CBS finished at six pm. The purse is eight point eight million. The defending champ is Brian Campbell, Big Brian Campbell. Notables are Keygan, Bradley, Blades, Brown, Campbell, Ricky Fowler is playing, Chris Goddrup, Jackson Coyven, Jordan Speed has shown up to play, and Davis Thompson. A couple of former winners there and Speed and Thompson.
Speaker 2: Also playing.
Speaker 3: Zach Johnson taking a pass on the US Senior Open to play the Deer Run TPC Deer Run for I believe a twenty fourth straight time I was here. Has his press conference already said he asked for a cart, said now all that to say, and it fell on Dave Fears. I wanted a golf cart, but they said, no, that's okay, my legs operate. It was a very just short discussion, I'll just say that. So that would have been glorious if he was zipping around Deer Run in a cart. This could be the end, you know, Zach talked about. Zach talked a lot about the Challenger Champions Track one track too. I mean, this year is not the end, this specific one. They'll be on twenty seven, but you know it's rumored as potentially on the chopping block. It's really it's a really strong event. Looking through the field distinction.
Speaker 4: Well, you know this is where of the best golf fans in the world reside, the Midwest.
Speaker 2: What do you expect?
Speaker 3: Jordan Speed took a run at pj's people. Indirectly, I wouldn't say take a run, but by by association. They asked him, you know, about the crowds, and he went into a soliloquy about gambling. He's a FanDuel I believe he's a FanDuel ambassador of some sort, which is you know, like a you know, we're all trying to find the people who did this situation. He said, gambling, you know, you can actually affect golf and you can't do that in other sports, and he's you know, hypothesized. Maybe that was part of the issue at Long Island. But he also said, you can always tell when you're in the Midwest by the crowds, and I think that's sort of a shot at Long Island people.
Speaker 5: Well, you can tell when you're on Long Island with the crowds too clearly, just maybe maybe in a different way. But don't worry.
Speaker 4: You you can go to a top scene for Long Islanders like you, PJ.
Speaker 5: You could go to the FanDuel sportsbook and place your Jordan Speed twenty five percent profit boost this weekend if you're really interested in betting on him to win John Dear Classic.
Speaker 3: So what did he say? He just said, Look, they got to do something about this because gambling is making the crowds more hostile.
Speaker 5: The headline is betting a golf is something that's going to have to be tackled here soon and alludes that New York is a legal state and said even said, you know, people in the Hamptons could have up to ten thousand dollars on non windhom Clerk betters. Non windhom Clark players bet ten thousand dollars on them to win, so they are rooting against Wyndham. I just I don't think anything he said was necessarily wrong. I think it is horrifically the wrong messenger to send that when you are hawking your name, image and likeness to the number one sportsbook in America on a weekly basis and has like this little casino game on the app that has like a horrible vig that's like this video game that you can look basically a slot machine that is Jordan Speith branded on the app of FanDuel, And he's in all their advertising about profit boosts every weekend. So you know what, man, good on you for saying it. I'm sure FanDuel isn't going to be happy. I think you don't have the right to say that personally, But whatever whatever he wants to do.
Speaker 3: Not that we'd ever say. It'd be like I was saying, Cotton might be in that bad shirt to wear in the summer. Yeah, but we actually believe the summer of cotton, right, and it's the summer of cotton.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: So this is like Smith saying gambling while his face is on the cover of gambling. That's kind of interesting dynamic. It was a great sentiment, though, it was. I agree, you appreciate a player speaking up about it.
Speaker 5: Agree with basically everything he said. I can't imagine Fandel is going to be happy. I just I take this with the largest grain of salt possible.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well what's that?
Speaker 4: Do you guys want to get to the transitions?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Go ahead, because who's number one?
Speaker 5: Andy?
Speaker 2: Tell them who is number one?
Speaker 5: That guy?
Speaker 4: All right, trying to recapture the Quad Cities magic. You know, now, thirteen thirteen years ago he burst on the scene, captured the hearts and minds of Americans everywhere with his you know, his boyish enthusiasm and uh and you know, really charisma.
Speaker 2: He comes back.
Speaker 4: He's a little beaten down by the game of golf at this point, but he's it looks like he's going to be just he's just testing wands all summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, I mean the magic in the Quad Cities came via the wedges right, the whole out from the bunker. But yeah, it does seem like he's that's where he'll find it. Maybe Tested wants.
Speaker 4: Honestly, this is great that he's back there. I'm sure the crowds are gonna be super big. Obviously, you know, smaller than the University of Illinois products that litter the field, but you know they will be they will be substantial.
Speaker 2: There following him. Okay, I like that he's back.
Speaker 4: Some some people are saying, this guy is, you know, the best American prospects since Jackson Coy or since Jordan Speith.
Speaker 2: And that's Jackson coy.
Speaker 4: Pro debut, comfortable, spot drives the crap out of the ball, puts it well, good eire play.
Speaker 2: I don't know what more there is to say about this. I I expect I think he's.
Speaker 4: Going to be you know, I think we've had you know, one of the interesting subplots of this field is that you have so many of these like young players in it. Besides Covid, you also have Preston Stout, who who sponsors exemption sponsor exemption, and then you have you know, Luke Clanton, you have David Ford, you have Crystal lamprackt like all these players that have like these lofty expectations. Obviously, this is going to be Coyven's first professional start.
Speaker 2: Last year he finished t. Eleven at this event.
Speaker 4: Really comfy spot for the pro start, and he'll be, you know, on the PGA Tour next year. And I think like at this point, it's just building towards getting into that that championship series, the champions Tour for twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a champions Tour. Deer Run's a great spot, just you do kind of have to hit.
Speaker 3: It relatively accurately, Like it's not just ship it all over the place, but it is. It has been reduced with the way the ball goes birty fust.
Speaker 2: It's wild. The eighteenth hole there.
Speaker 4: I used to play a lot of tournaments as a kid there and through college just because it's it's in Illinois, and you know, it was a big course, Like the eighteenth hole is four hundred and eighty yards yep. And it used to be so hard because you have to like play the edge of the dog leg and then like you'd have a long iron into that green. Now it's just like driver wedge just wild to me, do you remember the fourth hole at all? Apparently I've made a big change there with a tree that got rid of the tree, right, yeah, yeah, Zach called it to Kenby Matamba to Kenby Matumbo today and that was the character of the hole, you know. But he's going out to see number four. A lot of talk about number four maybe, yeah, sawgrass the Heartland's heartlands situation, A tree tree laments out there.
Speaker 2: That's sad, that's sad.
Speaker 3: He also said it's not going to change the integrity of the golf course. God reading it, Zach transcript takes me back to Marcus Simona.
Speaker 2: It is just.
Speaker 3: One like non sequitor, self contradict and gobbled cook after another.
Speaker 2: It was a nice little throw back. I think they simple, simple minded.
Speaker 3: Well, he was asked at the last question have you spoken to Jim or Stu or are they gonna be brought on as a source of, you know, a sounding board, until I was like, no, I haven't talked to him yet, but we'll have those discussions when.
Speaker 2: It gets I feel like he might have been banished. PJ.
Speaker 3: What do you make of him choosing deer run over the US Senior Open. He said, I'm pretty simple minded. He said, he called himself simple minded twice. They asked me to play j DC. I'm in on my number, he's on his number. I'm gonna play JDC.
Speaker 5: I just, you know, you look at the Cathedrals of Golf for Zach his major record as possibly the two best wins ever possible, and h he could add Pebble Beach with a win this week. He could get into Pebble Beach next year. And I just I think this is short sighted by a guy who would have been the betting favorite at the US Senior Open, could have been a Pebble Beach next year, could have added it to Saint Andrews and Augusta. But nope, we're gotta we gotta play the JDC for the twenty.
Speaker 4: I think I was looking through the Senior Open field, not to divert to you know, take away from five guys to monter here. Yeah, do you know who caught my eye in the in the Senior Open field?
Speaker 5: I mean, I have some ideas. It's it's a it's a it's a wide field blockie.
Speaker 2: Who who would you guess? PJ?
Speaker 5: Are you on the Stenson bandwagon.
Speaker 2: I I saw Hank Keeney.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, he's playing talk about a capital p problem back in the day. I mean, this guy was hitting at three hundred and twenty with wound balls.
Speaker 2: He was like a legend. I mean god, just a total urban legend. She probably don't even know who Hank Keenny is.
Speaker 5: I've heard the name, but I have no recollection of anything for you.
Speaker 4: He led the PGA to her driving distance for like four or five years during the Tiger early Tiger era, and he was hitting it like twenty yards further than the next closest guy.
Speaker 3: He got on well with Tiger. Aren't they buddies? I think they them out? I think yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the whole Keeney family is just incredible. Kelly trip Hank one of the great golf families of all time to produce, produce this, uh this kind of offspring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know he was in the Senior Open. I think he just turned fifty.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, I need you to make a Hank Keeney mixtape.
Speaker 5: All right, Yeah, a Blockie one. Everybody liked the Blockie One, so we'll go back to the well, we'll do it.
Speaker 2: All right, what's your next guy to monitor? This is your all over place be Todd Medical major medical resumption.
Speaker 4: We got a typo in there, Peach, you missed the e Todd Watch.
Speaker 5: Resumes on hand out. I hate that's on me making him too quick?
Speaker 2: Uh BP, How are you feeling about Todd watch?
Speaker 3: I mean not great. It's been a while. I'm just happy to see him. I doubt he has many how many more bites of the apple he has here on the medical Uh?
Speaker 2: But you know, I wish him well he could.
Speaker 3: This is a place where you know, he could get in the paint, rumble round, get some buckets and I'm hoping maybe he makes a cut and get some points to go towards his medical.
Speaker 2: H this is a little bit more serious one. I saw his name in the in the field Aaron.
Speaker 4: Wise at a medical on a medical obviously has dealt with some personal issues and it's kind of sad. I I think he was one of the more promising players a couple of years ago on the PGA tour.
Speaker 2: I you know, I've seen his name a couple of times.
Speaker 4: I just looked at his owgr and I just you know it's you know, he hasn't made a cut since last year's rocket mortgage. I think like if you were going to try and kind of will someone to playing well, Aaron Wise would be one name that I would put.
Speaker 3: On there would be amazing to see him. We'd love to hear more from him about like what he's battled and everything, and obviously a top prospect one on the PGA Tour. Like a very interesting modern story and you wish them. I wish him the best this weekend. Beyond who else do you have?
Speaker 4: Last, but last, but not least, another player, young player that's been super impressive, plays Brown. I think he's nineteen. He has a special temporary member on the PGA Tour. He said, he's still just going to keep playing the corn Ferry Tour as much as he can to lock in, you know, the priority position. That being said, you know starts like this, this kind of place, this type of field.
Speaker 2: We saw him almost win earlier this year. PAULP.
Speaker 4: Springs, Uh, this this could become like a huge story, like when you look through the JDC field. This is one of the names that pops out, is that this would be a home.
Speaker 2: Run story if you were able to win.
Speaker 3: KFT is off this week therefore, use that STP not gonna crew points anyways, use this temporary member STM, I should say, and then go play the KFT next week, the Blue Championship, So that makes sense. An interesting field, I like your five guys to monor mix of young, mix of old. I guess you'd put Jordan Speed. You know, I was deep in the cross the diversion. I was deep in the cross tabs today looking through the field, and I know this is just like red meat for you or meatball over the middle. It's never been more clear. They just have to get away from the two year exemption window, like the guys that are in like almost like the major medical feels like a much more useful, like justified use case. Then now, winning on the PGA Tour, like we've said, is heart there should trigger a bunch of perks for winning. But like you look through that list, it's like Peppi, Peter Malnadi, he won in March of twenty twenty four. You know, Paton Kazaire one in Sanderson or won the pro Corp the bro Corp in twenty twenty four, like Nick Dunlap. Obviously, like Kazaire hasn't made a cut since the cognizant in Palm Beaches.
Speaker 2: You know, Peppi Peter's kind of hanging on by a threat.
Speaker 3: I just think like things we're talking about that happened in February or March of twenty twenty four, and now we're in almost July of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 4: That's where a lot of the fat in some of these fields is not a lot, but a portion of the fat. And these are guy Kevin you who's decent, pro done well, but he's in because he won the Sanderson probably be in another way Sanderson in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: A lot of these fall events bro cors Sanderson. I. You know, you wonder what the future of that exemption is. And looking through this list, the list of two year exemption winners in this field, you're like, is this one we need to re examine and make it more current or make it more recent? And if we're you know, if you're winning now, you're getting a two year exemption that's still in place. But what happens when we go to challengers and champions what you get for those what's the future of that to your exemption? Because just looking at this field, you just I don't know that it's yielding the best product because you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Turn about guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know, there's no good analogy, but but this just wouldn't exist in other sports, right, guy who has a good NBA Finals in twenty twenty four means he's for sure in the rotation in twenty twenty six. Just not the way it works.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting.
Speaker 4: It's it is a you know, winning on the PGA Tour so hard. We talk about it every week like winning's hard. Yeah, I think that there's an over emphasis placed on it by players and executives because you already get rewarded for it. It's like a double reward in the sense of you point you should make do on like the amount of you get five hundred fed X Cup points.
Speaker 2: That's two hundred more than second place.
Speaker 4: I believe, right, three hundred goes the second place you're talking about like so many more, and that gives you such a leg up already. It's like this two year exemption to me is silly. I mean, you get two year exemption for winning a team event.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 4: I completely agree of what you're saying, because like when you start to do the bookkeeping on the ends of some of these two year exemptions, and.
Speaker 2: It depending on when you win.
Speaker 4: It's almost like a three year exemption a lot of times because you went at the beginning of the year, it's like, well, you're good this year, and then you get two years on top of that. So I completely concur and I'm very curious what it's going to look like down the stretch. I think there's just this belief among players like I'd almost rather give it like a long exemption to somebody that's finished in like the top five five times in a row, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, yeah, a couple of months or something. It's it's tricky how you break it, but certainly something that's going to be trickier if you get two tours like what it sounds like they're still sorting that out. That's in the details yet of TBD on the new tour in twenty twenty eight. What what is the future of that exception? But looking at this field list, it just jumped to my attention, all right, let's get on. Do we have one of dud picks? Who's your pick this week?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've taken I'm taking the Postman. He's he's red Hot.
Speaker 2: That was my guy.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna zag then I'm just gonna go con Yeah, posting is a great pick.
Speaker 2: That was my pick.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna just a diversify so we can maintain our gamblings. Take a couple of bites of the apple and then call ourselves a gambling podcast, and one of them wins. I'll go with uh, I'll go with Coyven Peach.
Speaker 2: Do you have a.
Speaker 5: Pick going Jackson, Super Jackson? Most we're getting with Jacksonsville. Everybody's gonna be on one Jackson this week. I'm zagging a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're going to Suber, I'm going Coven, all right. Those are picks for the John dere Classic. Honestly a pretty great event on paper right now, very interesting feel Does that mean a lot of people will watch it? I recommend doing Fourth of July activities with your family, maybe watch the JDC Sunday afternoon. But you know, for an event fighting for its life and something that means a lot to the community, raises a bunch of money for the community, I feel like it's really good on paper this year. Also on paper, which I'm told to read verbatim, is this episode is brought to you by the Friday Golf Club. What we originally launched as Club TFE is now FEGC and it's your gateway to great golf. The team has built FEGC to be the place where you can go to discover golf courses, connect with our community, and play more great golf Today. The club features a live list of course profiles available to members with member reviews, a live feed of the discussions happening in the app, and a map showing members across the country. There's some entertaining groups in there, a Pizza group, Chat, a book club, Shotguns, Start Sickos where Indy and I will occasionally jump in and join the conversation. Ladies of the Sgs is also a group in the app. Live lists of open meetups also exist, along with upcoming events and the international trips that are on our calendar. Get involved. Join the club today at the fridagg dot com slash membership. That's the Frida egg dot com slash membership. I was told the rod bergad do that one, and that's what I did.
Speaker 2: The app is cool. It's a very very good, very good app.
Speaker 3: Jump jump in there and chat with your fellow members check out no potential meetups and clubs and places you can go. Continuing on with our schedule for the week, we already mentioned the USGA as the US Senior Open at Sayota Country Club in the Columbus area. The defending champus Padrick Harrington. Notables are on Hell, Cabera, Stewart, Saint Ernie, Els Harrington, Miguel on Hell, Colin Montgomery. Ian Poulter is making his debut and how he's bringing hell with them tweeting about it, Poulter Vjulter in the mix again and Henrik Stenson. This is all over the place. There's a Peacock window. Just check your listings eleven to two and Golf Channel than five to seven on Peacock. So it's a mix of Peacock with an NBC Network finish on Sunday.
Speaker 4: You know what's crazy what for Poulter, Stenson, Blandy players of this ilk that playing in the US Senior Open is like a step up in juice for them where they get significantly more play relevance that they have for like the last three years. Like Ian Poulter's most relevant moments the last few years.
Speaker 2: Have been have been attending his son's as Viper's point walker like Walker Cup us a M and then playing this event. These these are.
Speaker 4: The biggest moments of his relevance to the golf world, not playing on Live, which is it's just like a perfect example of how big of a failure Live was.
Speaker 3: I mean to be fair, though, Poltz has also been pretty bad on Live too, like he hasn't been a relevant player on a tour that's also a struggle for relevant, So it's like a double wham he's not been.
Speaker 4: But like the thing about being irrelevant on Live is like unless you won, you're.
Speaker 2: Pretty much irrelevant. Kind of yes, yes, I just find it amusing.
Speaker 4: It's like Ian Polter's re entered my life, and it's like he enters my life when Luke plays, and when he plays.
Speaker 3: Nice social video. Welcome Luke or are welcome poltse Ian? So that came across my desk? Uh, what else do we have? Us Senior Open? That's that's what's going to be your event of the week. But not quite Saiota, Who are you?
Speaker 4: Who are your three guys to monitor? No graphics? Unprepared? I assume blocking.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I don't know that I'm necessarily unprepared. Joseph has been completely indoctrinated after watching the Blockie show. So we've been discussing the US Senior Open at length. Uh, we've been kicking kicking some ideas back and forth. Blockie obviously number one guy to monitor this week? How does he follow it up? Everybody in their and their mother is now hoping, praying that he can get in the field. We we I I might have some more clarity on the top ten rule. Uh. After some research on Monday, it looks like the top ten rule will get him in to the Boeing Classic, which is like a month and a half from now, because there are majors or invitationals in Portugal between now and then, so the full field event is not even close from now. It's like the end of July. But it looks like Blockie technically should be there.
Speaker 2: He'll be on a primetime in Washington.
Speaker 5: Primetime prime time blocking, so blocking number one guy to monitor for sure.
Speaker 3: We did have a certified fo TP front of the program reach out saying he or she might be in Blockie's press conference and if we had any questions, he or she would happily ask them. So if you want to form some questions, we can send across to Blockie. Let me know, PJ. All right, I feel like.
Speaker 2: I feel like we could have dozens real quick sidebar.
Speaker 4: Sciota is really cool, Donald Ross course, this should be really fun TV. Do you think they'll mention that that's where Jack Nicholas grew up and played on the Rock? I think they're going to go the entire broadcast window all four days without mentioning that, or the Ohio State University.
Speaker 2: Very very cool place as an Ohio problem.
Speaker 3: That's best city in Ohio. It's definitely one of the best things about this city. Seota is a great course, great place. But how would you rank the cities of Ohio?
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I mean, where does Pittsburgh fall fall on?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: Iota was in Pittsburgh. Where would it compare it to Oakemon and maybe some other courses?
Speaker 2: Lebron's an acron? Do you see that playing Firestone?
Speaker 5: It did? Do you think Lebron's going to go to the colleague Company's Senior Players chance in its Firestone finale coming soon?
Speaker 2: Lebron not gonna be a Laker anymore? Is he? Coming back to the Cavs.
Speaker 3: Perhaps we'll see it would be a fitting, nice, nice narrative arc. But seems like the Warriors are a potential destination.
Speaker 2: So what a derailed end of career.
Speaker 4: Not everybody could go out like like the true great one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the Wizards. Yeah, the Wizards was totally.
Speaker 3: Actually happened, see that they pull in with the in like that era of Wizards Jersey. It actually didn't happen. See, I've erased it from my whole memory.
Speaker 5: I'm glad. I'm glad you've done that, because what if the bron ends up on the Wizards?
Speaker 2: What if hit the shot over Byron Russell?
Speaker 4: They didn't push off on Yeah, and he just rode off into the sunset.
Speaker 3: We could talk about the first first retirement, to which I'm sure was just done under the most clean and circumstances.
Speaker 2: Why mourning his father's death?
Speaker 5: Well did you see that? Derek Jeter said, Actually he wasn't that bad at baseball? How I pressed to go see go hit two hundred after not playing for thirty years.
Speaker 4: Derek Jeter sticking up probably the best athletes of all time.
Speaker 3: All right, last but not least one schedule for the week or did you do your three guys?
Speaker 2: We just got Blockie, But all right, who else Blocky?
Speaker 5: Throw Ben Crane obviously big big spot here.
Speaker 2: The podcast talked more about Ben Crane. You got to be.
Speaker 5: Able to use your length, use your power. I think this is a big opening for Ben Craiane if you're looking in the betting markets. Not to sound like Jordan Speef myself, I think Ben Crane might be undervalued. If anybody's out there just interested in in throwing some shekels.
Speaker 3: Down, you get champions start heckling because of gambling.
Speaker 5: I mean, that would be kind of crazy. I can't rule it out. I guess technically according to gambling authority Jordan Speith, but you could go do that and then looking at the field, I mean relatedly to your Poulter Stenson point. Obviously those are guys to watch. I'll just throw Pat Perez out there, who is expecting to play a full season next year. So this is this could be a big step towards securing permanent status on the Champions Store. I was going to say, he's been in the news a lot.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he was playing.
Speaker 3: All right, there we go last, but not least on the DP World we have the BMW International Open. I believe this is the one with the Ferris wheel in the background of the eighteenth Green.
Speaker 2: The purse is.
Speaker 3: Three million defending champ. I should note zash and his press conference. By the way, I'm quoting zach Alot here today purss three million. He claims, I'll just say, personally speaking, this is my twenty fourth start. I have no idea what the purse is. I have never looked at one in my entire tenure. He's never looked at the purse in twenty four years, says.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've had to look on the champions Tour now because they've asked me, But I honestly don't know, and I don't care. I've never looked at the purse. It's about winning championships. I can't believe he's never looked at the purse or know what the purse was. But on the DP World Tour, the purse is three million. Notables are Benny An who left for Live Answer, Chakara Garcia, Martin Kimer's essentially live event, Waki Nim, Carlos Ortiz and Patrick Reid. I think every single one of those players is on live or was on live if you count Chakara and Patrick Reid. Defending champ is the author Daniel Brown, who cracked the Da Vinci Code to win the BMW International Open last year. This is coffee golf. We have coffee golf merch in our pro shop as link season is right around the corner, six thirty to eleven each morning, with a noon finish on Saturday and Sunday, the International Open. P Reid over there, back on the DP World Tour, rustling around so.
Speaker 2: He get warmed up for the Open. That's your schedule. Still number one on the.
Speaker 3: DP World Tour rankings based on his work in January, essentially early February.
Speaker 4: Because p Reid, Rory who's played six qualifying tournaments, Chakara, Jayden Chaper, Aaron Raye, Casey Jarvis. You know who's number said it?
Speaker 2: Sterney bubble Bee. Okay, he's hanging in there. Where's Dick Sterney? Dick Sterney. Man, I can't believe he's this far down. It can't be right. Race to Dubai. I'm looking at it.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to find him. My control app's not working for me. Oh there, he's thirty three.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I don't I've never understood their points.
Speaker 3: They are a little challenging. They got so many swings. All right, you want to talk about remembering some guys. Coda Canako on there, he's number twelve in the points list. When you just are quickly scrolling through, it looks like Canerko, Paul Kanerko. I was going to say, I don't remember Coda Canaco. The first time I thought your sons, like, am I supposed to know a calling through it?
Speaker 2: I was like, wait a second, that Canerka is there?
Speaker 3: America guy killed the Guardian's tribe. Guy would just rake against us every time he was a stud. Yeah, problem, okay, I think that does it. I don't have any other There's a couple of odds and ends. We can just punt. Got a good hippo story from front of the program, hippo related to golf.
Speaker 2: We could talk to the hippo, you know. Was it a good hippo story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll just still take a minute. There's a hippo in the Formby Golf Club, which is where nearby where a stuffed hippo at this point in the Formby Golf Club nearby the Birkdale and the golf coast there wherever. We're having the open in a couple of weeks. This this is from a friend of the program, Derek Garry. He said, this guy, Eustace Story, who was a walker cupper, his brothers went to Africa and shot a hippo back when this was probably accepted practice hunting and brought the hip back to him and he kept the stuffed hippo in his house for years and then he died and his wife was like, we got to get this thing out of here.
Speaker 2: He used to story.
Speaker 3: The walker cupp died and his wife's like, I got to get this out of my house. And he was a member at Formby, so she donated it to form B Golf Club and they have this stuffed hippo at the golf club. And apparently during World War Two it was like a space for the Navy or something and they took the stuffed hippo on a ship during the war. It traveled around in the middle of the World War Two, I got damaged and we eventually made it back to form B. So they have a hippo at FORMB Golf Club that's a hippo golf story late love that. Back when apparently that was a thing you go shoot. Hippos in Africa wouldn't recommend it now. All right, that does it for this Wednesday episode of The Shotgun Start. We will talk to you on Friday. Send some golf advice, maybe with a big holiday weekend golf advice episode. A lot of people enjoyed that last Friday with KVV. Go to send them to S G S Golf Advice at gmail dot com. We'll rip through those on Friday. Talk to you then,