Speaker 1: This is live coverage op the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and prought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence health System expert Care here. Remax Select Realty visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Coniente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Stealer Nation. It's the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network US Shooler Matt Williamson with you here once again on this Monday from the Camps Saint Vincent College. It's a soggy, rainy, overcast, wet one onto this Monday here. Certainly, Matt, a little bit of a different day on campus said, it's.
Speaker 3: Another weird one. I mean, last time we were on the air was Saturday Night Lights Day, which is kind of an odd day. This is definitely an odd day because practice they booted the fans half hour in minutes in or so, went on for like another two periods maybe, and then they hung it up, well they didn't hang it up. They went down to the indoor, which I didn't follow them for that, and then we come up and I'll meet you in the cafeteria, Wesley, and you said it's locked, Like what's going on around here? They're all closed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are we supposed to have our pre show meeting if not the cafeteria.
Speaker 3: I know, we do serious business there. And then you know, we went down to the Fred Rogers Center and it was family day and it was a madhouse down there, like everyone in the organization, players, wives, daughter, you know, daughters, sons, et cetera. Where everywhere. Got a little food truck action too, a little coffee for us. So it's been cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, we're ready to go here. It has been a weird stretch a couple days, just with some practice moving around and some weather stuff here, and it's gonna be a different kind of week This week is obviously the team will have practice tomorrow, weather permitting, right here at chucknoll Field on Saint Vincent College's campus and then a couple days off Matt or I should say Wednesday off game on Thursday against the Packers in the preseason Friday off. So really this a little bit of a lighter week. You get a Monday Tuesday practice and your Monday you ended up having to move to the indoor facility, and then Saturday Sunday on kind of the tail end of that preseason game. But this is really about it. I mean, I was gonna call this the dog Days, but I don't even know if you can call it the dog days when I don't think so you don't really have, you know, a long stretch of practice left. This is more like kind of the final days here just.
Speaker 3: In general of times, like for your and I purposes, you know, a days that we actually slept here. There was never like a crazy long stretch where it's like, oh man, my back. I mean, yeah, you know, I'm just need to get home, or boy, it's been a long stretch. It's been broken up, and you mentioned it. I mean just for the drive what we're on today obviously tomorrow and then Saturday Sunday from up here and then we're back to like regular season.
Speaker 2: Monday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday up here. It is Monday here, yes, so that's it. Though Monday is the last day. So a week week from today, Matt, you and I will be doing our final show here on campus and sailing off into the sunset. Okay, so it happens real quick, man. It always does.
Speaker 3: Get back to like video and being in the studio and all that stuff, and it's basically regular season.
Speaker 2: Mode for us, which I am looking forward to. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I enjoyed the off season. I enjoy all the different benchmarks. And it's Matt and I. We debated this throughout combine and draft season. I like the combine. I like the draft. Matt loves the combine back Matt loves the Draft. I love once the real games start here about a month from now in September, and we are getting closer and closer to that, and I'm excited for what is obviously going to be a very intriguing Steeler seasons. Season part of me for a litany of different reasons. But yeah, a different one here certainly on campus today, as it all is quiet now and has been for a few hours. But Hopefully tomorrow the weather we'll hold off and we'll have an opportunity to get in a good practice before that final preseason or the first part of me. I'm on, Matt. This uh, this latte we got from traveling Tom's coffee truck. This latte I got down there at the bottom of the hill has me zooming.
Speaker 3: Yet you're all over justin before we hit record.
Speaker 2: I gotta dial back. I gotta dial it back, just a just a just a teensy ween. See bit here is Wolf used to say, He's like, I like to drink enough coffee to uh, you know, to turn my bloodstream into rocket fuel. And then I'll dial it back a little bit and drink and drink some water.
Speaker 3: But the food trucks were good. Awesome was first off. We saw met the Tyler's family for the sure day and cute little daughter.
Speaker 2: Yep, that was very nice. We finally finally finally put some some faces to the TV family name there, which was which was awesome. But yeah, cool little family day down there, a bunch of different Foo trucks for launching for everything. Certainly the rain today didn't damper those spirits down there, but they are Matt they got some they got some things to accomplish here, certainly before you get to Thursday and starting to have less and less time to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're one hundred percent right. And I know Max and Rob were just kind of going through the roster a little bit, and Rob and I were chatting before that segment their break. I don't know how many available spots there are. Yeah, I mean that's something we're gonna have to start thinking about at some point here too. It's a ways down the road. We shoot up the whole preseason to go, and there'll be some injuries and somebody will emerge. But I'm not saying that these guys aren't fighting for anything. They absolutely are, But I don't know what's available in terms of the fifty three at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed like that road has been more narrow than yeah, yeah, in years past.
Speaker 3: Certainly, I think the right guard position might be Spencer Anderson's pretty much wrapped up too. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to feel that way as well, and especially after Thursday, I think that picture will start become even a little bit more clear. Yes, Matt, some news around the league here in the first segment to kind of really get us going here the first man. Tough news for the Washington Commanders, tough news for Jade Daniels, for head coach Dan Quinn. Left tackle Laramie Tunzel will undergo surgery after tearing his try sep and he is expected to miss significant time, if not the entire season.
Speaker 3: That sounds like the entire season, or could be ready for the playoffs type thing. But I don't like their chance to go in the playoffs. I don't think their offseason is gone, particularly swimming swimmingly anyway. No, I did like the Digs pick up. I thought that was a step in the right direction. I'm hoping Daniels doesn't have an early career where they's put everything on his shoulders. But he really started to get that feeling. And I also think that coach could be on the hot seat a little bit. People people might underestimate the Tunsil loss. I mean, he is one of the true tackles that you basically think about it like from a corner perspective. You just leave him on an island. It doesn't matter who's opposite and opposite him. Brandon Thorn did his member, he did his tackle rankings and stuff. We were looking at. He was number two amongst all left tackles, which means you're like a top five players league, you know, in terms of offensive lineman. Yeah, that's a huge loss.
Speaker 2: It's a massive loss. And I think you're what you touched on there is where it really gets home is they've got to they've got to find a way to make life a little bit easier on Jane Daniels, not more fault and uh that worries to me for his future. Absolutely. I mean, that's his blind side protector. That's, as you mentioned, one of the best left tackle, is one of the best offensive linemen, one of the best football players in the world, and they don't have a lot of those high end talent guys on that offense.
Speaker 3: He might have been really on the whole team just in terms of like needle mover blue chip players, he's probably it. I mean, mclaurin's good, but he's not a top five guy at his position.
Speaker 2: Jayde Daniels is good, but he's still got to prove it and you get to help solid footing and you know.
Speaker 3: Turt sunny styles. I mean, but he's a rookie.
Speaker 2: He's a rookie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, it's obviously not the news that you wanted for the commanders, for jayde Daniels, for head coach Dan Quinn, as they're going to be missing Laramie Tunsel for some serious time, Matt. Another extension given out earlier today between the Patriots and tight end hunter Henry two year contract extension worth up to twenty million dollars, includes fourteen point five million guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's had a very solid career. He's a solid starter. And I use that term solid twice because he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of boring, that's about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's a young quarterback's good friend. I mean, he's is where he's supposed to be. He's a fine player. I kind of like Eli Reridan that they drafted in the third round. I think it was out of Notre Dame. So it does not like Henry's going anywhere. But that doesn't change the proximity of you know, my thoughts on the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Really, no, it does not. And you're right, he's a solid player. That's a good word to use. Drake wrong with that, I want of Drake May's I think the you know, targets that he's more comfortable with yeah, and there's always there's always something to be said for that for your young quarterback. And though he obviously had a great season last year, you want to make sure he's continuing to grow and not and not plateau inn or taking any steps back. So a nice deal there for New England. Yeah uh And kind of last, I guess news of the of the day from practices and around the league Matt is that the Lions Cade May's the center. The new center for the Detroit Lions expected to miss significant time eight to ten weeks with a wrist injury that he suffered during practice.
Speaker 3: This is also a big one, not that he's a great player, but center was such a problem for them post Frank Ragnow and they even tried to bring him back, which wasn't fair to anybody. And I thought May's was May was like a perfect guy. May a y s right, yeah, yes, that's the S on the end face. Yes, not Drake May right right right right?
Speaker 2: But he actually does you just.
Speaker 3: Talking about dra May. That's why he screwed me up. But he's a big, physical center. He's not one of these movement based guys like he's perfect for Dan Campbell and biting knee caps, and I thought he was gonna be a real nice addition. And they don't have much that I'm aware of in terms. I mean, they're the same problems as last year. I think it's in center now, so I thought he was gonna solidify that O line. But man, that's another big blow.
Speaker 2: It sure is. They've they haven't had much fortune in that department in Detroit. No, and uh and this is another kind of uh unfortunate uh move in that direction for them. Hey, I guess eight to ten weeks, you know, could be worse. Hopefully you'll get him, you'll get him back for the majority of the season. But still that's not the type of injury you want to get to pick it.
Speaker 3: I'm hurt now eight you know, three of those weeks or even before the season starts. Sure, maybe you get him back in week five something.
Speaker 2: As opposed to you know, maybe week ten if this would have happened in the middle of September or something like that. But yeah, still regardless, not great news for the Lions as we know. I mean, that's part of this process. You're gonna have guys that are gonna pick up short term injuries, long term injuries, significant stuff, and unfortunately a couple offensive linemen following victim to that here in the last twenty four hours or so.
Speaker 3: Again, of course, knock on wood and there will be Steeler injuries that happen. They're not gonna be immune to it. But for you folks out there that are being critical of this coaching staff or not pushing, pushing, pushing, well, I mean, so far, so good on the injury front.
Speaker 2: You know, last kind of piece of news of the day that I wanted to discuss with you, Matt, is that NFL league officials confirming today that the NFL will allow head coaches to designate a member of their sideline staff to initiate replay challenges. Traditionally, head coaches have been the only member of a team that can declare a challenge by throwing the red flag, but that will change in twenty six If a coach prefers to assign the task to someone else, a decision he would have to inform officials of before the start of the game.
Speaker 3: Okay, again, not huge news. I'm sure it'll be discussed on the headset to some degree. It's probably just who pulls the thing out of their sock and flings it onto the field. Sure, I would think the Steelers would be a good candidate not to do it, considering or anyone who's head coaches calling plays. I mean, that's enough on my plate. Give someone else that responsibility. Maybe it goes to like coach Garneckia or somebody like that that does isn't in charge of a position. I was wondering if he was going to be like the the replay guru on game day two. I guess we'll find out more and more about that. So the way I understood the way you read it, it won't be the head coach and somebody else with just one Okay, okay, somebody, just somebody can have it, Okay, yes, And I assume the officials have to know who that is.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know how even significant that is, because is that a conversation you're having in the headset and throw it? But hey, if it's I think you know, if you are Mike McCarthy and you've got a million things to juggle along with the play calling, and just lose one more, just one more, Yeah, you give it the green light. You're you're you know, whoever is in charge of that decision gives it the green light, and someone else can pull that red flag out and throw it onto the field. But that will be it'll be intriguing to see how many coaches want to hold onto that thing themselves verse pass it off to somebody else and uh, yeah, like you is.
Speaker 3: Kind of surprising. Took this long. I mean, but who cares who actually throws right?
Speaker 2: I understand why you don't. I understand why you don't want multiple people doing right, because then you could you can have some issues. But yeah, there's one red flag. Let whoever wants to throw it.
Speaker 3: It came from the Steelers sideline, came from the Bear sideline. Whatever. That's all I needed.
Speaker 2: Time for a video review. We've got plenty.
Speaker 3: I guess the official that will then come over to the per step two of that. Okay, I'm the official. The red flag comes out, Do I then go to the head coach? Or do I go to the whoever threw it to ask? What are you challenging? I assume it's whoever threw it. I would think so, I would think so, right, But then again, that's more than maybe the head coach isn't even in the loop.
Speaker 2: That's more lines of communication, right, You have to that you have to make sure we're all under the same page. There. Yeah, that's a good that's a good question by you too, Matt. And that's why I have to imagine that this will probably most head coaches will probably still just hang on to it.
Speaker 3: But we'll see so they have the conversation with the official.
Speaker 2: Exactly Righteah, yeah, exactly right, because yeah, I don't think that's another one of those you can't have too many cooks in the kitchen type type ordeals. There, let's get to our first break here of the first hour. We have got a long three hours ahead of us here today on the campus of Saint Vincent College. Get those tweets in, you know, we'll start the five o'clock hour hitting those up. As always, We've got our first Freaks list of the upcoming college football season. Two. Yeah, Bruce Feldman, something that Matt and I like to take a look at every single year. So plenty of ground to cover as we roll along here on this Monday afternoon from a quiet and soggy Saint Vincent College campus, West Juler, Matt Williamson. It is the drive all part of our training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started, remember FDIC West Shore Home we modeling Reimagine by lee Com, Ditch Dons Appliances Visit Donsappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale, and by hass Is Stake in Seahouse. Haws Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Back on campus here on this Monday edition of The Drive is Bat and I rock and roll through training camp, and we are getting close to the finish line practice tomorrow, and then a few days off of course that preseason game on Thursday. Then we'll all be back here Saturday, Sunday, Monday. That's it. So just four practices left in this public portion of training camp twenty twenty six. It happens real fast all the time, map, but this year feels like even a little bit of a brisker pace than usual. You touch you touched on this a little bit last hour, but I think a big part of that is that second week of camp, like you always have the four acclamation practices and then and then a day off. That's been as long as I can remember. Yes, then for the Mike Tomlin years, you'd be so four acclamation practices off on a Sunday back Monday, and you would have six straight days basically Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday light lights, and then Saturday before getting another Sunday off. That it wasn't like that, No, there was a Wednesday off built in there as well, so that would really I think it did too, just being able to go to your own bed, and because as you mentioned, we normally have those stretches where we're out here five, six, seven days at a time. This year it was really only you know, three days at a time for the for the most part, except for maybe that initial stretch of those acclamation practices. So yeah, it's going quick, it's moving quick, it always does. But we really are kind of staring down the barrel of the home stretch here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we really are. And again now we have real games and pretty excited about that. So not a lot more to add, but the schedule did seem to move at a very brisk pace this year.
Speaker 2: It sure did. It sure did, And hopefully we'll get some some nice weather days here for all of you good people who still want to come out here and see your Pittsburgh Steelers in this edition of training camp.
Speaker 3: That felt bad for the crew when they evacuated the whole campus today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did too, Man, I did too. I had Uh, I had uh, yeah, I had somebody that I that I know, you know, and his wife and son here and uh, they were here for all of about I think thirty forty minutes. Yeah, I had had to had to hit it and get out of here. And uh, unfortunately you do have that sometimes out here when you have an outdoor training camp. Can't control mother nature. And I've been pretty fortunate in that regard through the first two weeks or so of camp. But uh, but today, having to, uh, having to get the fans out and then as Matt mentioned, I mean it was not much longer. It was a good thing they got the fans moving when they did, because maybe fifteen minutes twenty minutes after that you could start to see thunder here. Not too far off in the distance, and that's when the Steelers kind of went uh legging it over towards It was a it was a it was a massive congregation of golf cards down there and there at the baseball field to get all the guys.
Speaker 3: From shuttling going on, some big people, get them all.
Speaker 2: Get them all over there to the indoor facility, and uh yeah. After Matt and I kind of joked about not having to use that fancy new indoor facility yet this year, it finally ended up being the case. Baka.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, Matt, it was a right call to get people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it absolutely was. And I'm listening. I'll put my hand up, and it's a good thing. I'm not a meteorologist when I was when I was parking down there, and that was kind of like when I was walking up because all right, transparency, how the sausage is made, all that good stuff. I haven't necessarily been rushing to make it here for the start of practice. Everyone.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I mean even when we're right across the street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because the first twenty thirty minutes of practice, it's all just warm ups and stretching.
Speaker 3: I don't need to see stretched. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. As much as I love football, I don't need to see, you know, a bunch of a bunch of grown men out on the field stretching for fifteen twenty minutes and.
Speaker 3: Even most of the individual drills.
Speaker 2: But I can get more done over in my room, doing you know, high knees and and some of that basic stuff to get their bodies moving, to get the juices flowing.
Speaker 3: So I was not like they open with seven shots anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right, exactly right. I was kind of parking and heading up here right around the time that all the commotions started, and uh, and it was a little it was a little chaotic out there, but like you, I was like, this is the part where I was like, I'll be honest. I was walking up to the press box and I was it's not I mean, yeah, it's it's starting to rain here a little bit.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it didn't look bad.
Speaker 2: It death looked terrible. And then five minutes later not it, maybe maybe ten minutes later, lightning off in the distance, and I'm like, huh, that's why they got out of fans. I see they do know more than me. Imagine that, but uh, Yeah, it's been Uh it's always a little unpredictable here in the Laurel Valley, in the Laurel Highlands. But today, I think, certainly that first day of camp where you had to call some some audibles on the fly and make some other things happen.
Speaker 3: And we talked about this every step of the way. We've gotten lucky that it took this long. Yeah, until you were had the audible. There was a couple of years that you didn't get much done because of the rain.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to I think I was a twenty nineteen year I want to say it was the year that that coach, Drake, the wide receiver coach, passed away during training camp, if you remember that. And that year, man, it was just it felt like every day they were moving the start time of practice, or they were moving indoors, and that's when we were still broadcasting outside. I think that's why I remember it so well. So it was like, yes, every day I'm checking phones and emails and are we going to be outside? Are we going to be up in the press box? How's that going to work? And and so yeah, so fortunate to this point so far, But today a little bit of a different case, Matt. Hopefully last you said, that's what I'm hoping for. Bruce Feldman, of course covers this school, covers college football for the Athletic. He's been a long time college football guy. He's worked for some other outlets before he was with the Athletic. He put out his annual Freaks list, Matt, of the top one hundred freak athletes in college football, and this is always something that we like. Now, listen, I'm not going to go through and discuss all all one hundred of these names. But there's some of the quarterbacks that we've talked about, there's some of the high end some of the high end wide receivers that we've talked about.
Speaker 3: And definitely got to talk about the guys at the top too.
Speaker 2: And I think we're starting to get to that point in the calendar, to Matt, where we'll be paying a little attention to college football and how how it relates to draft prospects and all and all that good stuff. I did do a quick glance.
Speaker 3: These guys aren't all even draft eligible from what I understand. Correct, I think they've all at least I think I think they all at least a season. Yeah. Yeah, the incoming freshmen and they're just making these numbers up. There's something to go off of.
Speaker 2: Some of them might still have to fulfill eligibility, some of them might have the option when the year's over if they're going to go pro or they're going to return to school. So yeah, that is a good Uh. It's definitely very draft relevant, very draft relevant, but good for you to note that just because they're on this list doesn't mean that they will absolutely be entering the NFL Draft this upcoming spring. I did do a quick kind of a search on here, Matt, and uh, to no one's surprise, certainly not yours, No wu guys on this list. There's one pick guy on this list.
Speaker 3: You beat me to it. I was gonna say, I figured we should do the top dozen or so, any prominent other names quarterbacks and then was there a local field I mean, w Pitt. It's probably some pen stators on here.
Speaker 2: There is one, two, two pen stators on here, one and one one pit offensive lineman and that is Ryan Bayer, who is the right tackle for the pit Panthers. Three year starter twenty nine starts at right tackle six on the left side, six seven three hundred and thirty pounds. Rare athlete carries just fifteen percent body fat. He's hit more than eighteen miles per hour max velocity on the GPS vertical jump twenty eight and a half inches broad you up nine feet four hundred and thirty five pounds on the bench press. Compared with data from a three year NFL case study, Bayer ranked above the ninety seventh percentile and jump height, peak power, and modified reactive strength index.
Speaker 3: Wow, things have changed. I don't know a peak power or reactive The fact that the thing that stood out to be most he's quite large, six seven and eighteen miles an hour is rolling. I mean, twenty's really rolling for like any position. Eighteen for a man that huge is you're That's something.
Speaker 2: I am not trying to get on the train tracks with that guy. No, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Do you know how long he's been there? Could he be?
Speaker 2: He's been a three year starter, so he's I think he's definitely a dreft. I think he's definitely a draftable dude. Fun story for you. Actually, I'm just I'm remembering this. I'll have to go back and double check, but I'm almost positive it was the twenty twenty so last year would have been five twenty five. So the twenty twenty three backyard brawl, Okay, I'm almost positive Ryan Bears Dad swung by our tailgate for a little bit. Yeah, maybe had a couple of beers and had a little bit of food.
Speaker 3: And you allow the pitch folks.
Speaker 2: Well one Dorin Dickerson was there. Former pit players, you could let him. Yeah. And because he one of the guys who's always at our tailgate is Owen Schmidt, who was you know, former w linebacker who played there. This was in Morgantown, and and Owen throws down on some brisket and some barbicue you and stuff like that. And so he was.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He was a wild boy man. He would have h he would have been pretty popular out here at Saint Vincent. I mean he was drafted in the fourth round as a full back.
Speaker 3: I mean he was like, I know, he was big even for a full back, but I think he was like two sixty five, like real big.
Speaker 2: But he could move, man. He caught passes and had a couple like explosive plays as a as a full back. And the big big time I mean his his his uh his two NFL head coaches were Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren. So it was clearly they clearly they thought that he had a little bit more than just a meat heead skill set. Yeah, but they always that always struck me as funny. Yeah, long looked like way too long of a story here, Sure what we got nothing but time today. Doran and Owen knew each other from back of their time playing at Pitt and w and and then in the NFL. And so Owen was making a bunch of brisket and pulled pork and barbecue stuff at the tailgate, and Doran swung by to say hello. And I think that's how Ryan's dad ended up there just briefly. But I'll have to go back and double check. But I do think I might have a picture of us with his dad somewhere in the archives from twenty twenty three. But he's the pit guy on this list, checking in at number seventy Yeah, six seven, three hundred and thirty pounds, hitting upwards eighteen miles an hour on the on the GPS monitor.
Speaker 3: That's a yeah, that's a moving that's an athlete.
Speaker 2: I looked at some of the quarterbacks on this list too. Matt John Matteer checks in at sixty nine, the Oklahoma quarterback that we've discussed just six', one so not massive in terms of, size but he is two twenty.
Speaker 3: Five he kind of has a full back, build heat, man but he's kind of a boxy square kind of, yes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Spongebobb he really does like kind of looks like one of those low to the ground like you, know, yeah like almost like like a, wrestler a hockey player with the big hips and the big, legs squats five hundred and ten, pounds hit twenty and a half miles per hour on THE. Gps. Uh he's one of the ones That i'm really really intrigued to watch play this season BECAUSE i think he is healthy now he was not last. Year let's see how he looks, with you, know hopefully a clean bill of.
Speaker 3: Health no. Doubt and he also has a little bit of That Jackson dart doesn't protect himself real, well you, Know Johnny knoxville style to. Him from WHAT i remember, TOO i do think he's like kind of renowned for his weight room work though.
Speaker 2: Too he kind of looks like he looks like.
Speaker 3: IT i mean he doesn't skip leg.
Speaker 2: Day i'll tell you that he definitely does not skip leg.
Speaker 3: Day, yeah there's no.
Speaker 2: Doubt someone who probably should get into the weight room With John mattier is another quarterback checking in at sixty. Seven nico always butchering his last. NAME i am. LEAVING i Am. Yavilla he's tall and. Wired he's six' five but only. Two fifteen i'm.
Speaker 3: Not even sure if he's. Two fifteen just The little i've seen.
Speaker 2: Exactly right he was UCLA's leading rusher. Last year matt at the despite being, the quarterback had ten runs of twenty, plus yards also through thirteen touchdowns. Seven interceptions he is he's a former, volleyball standout so he can jump you know through. The gym, oh yeah and his forty times four five range and he clocked a one point four to eight ten yard, Uh sprout so. HE is, i mean there's. No doubt he's a.
Speaker 3: Lever guy that's a really good, you know usually that's a, you know get out of. Your blocks, is yeah not the not, the long take a little while to. Get going that's a really good start, for him.
Speaker 2: It is and he's a. Freak athlete he needs to put on a little bit. Of weight he needs to have some more consistency to. His game but he's one of those quarterbacks that will be keeping an eye on throughout this throughout the course of, The.
Speaker 3: Seasons like his combine will be much MUCH. C tv i.
Speaker 2: Think SO and i don't know if he has to come out or if he would have another year, of eligibility but.
Speaker 3: He's leaned towards thinking he can. GO back i.
Speaker 2: Think So that's That's where i'm. At too but we'll obviously be very intrigued by all these quarterbacks and uh and who could uh who could end up potentially being on the radar For The pittsburgh steelers depending how this season. Plays out number forty eight on The List. Byron brown he's the Quarterback from auburn that. We've discussed he was on this list last.
Speaker 3: YEAR and i don't guys are on a couple.
Speaker 2: Of, Years YEAH and i like Spoiler Alert jeremiah smith towards the top of. This list he's been on it was he's been on it for a.
Speaker 3: Few Years.
Speaker 2: Byron brown is one of The quarterbacks matt that. We mentioned if, YOU'LL remember i think it was like two months ago we did just kind of an around campus a primer on one of the days that we were kind of searching for. Some content he WAS At Usf south florida. Last year Transfers. To auburn six three two thirty five, bench presses three point, fifteen squats six, hundred pounds also hit twenty two and a half miles an hour ON the gps. Last Season matt ONE thing i really like about him thirty two starts under his belt as a collegiate. Quarterback, already wow so far he's got a little.
Speaker 3: Bit in the high forties, he'll be which is.
Speaker 2: What we like. To, see yeah he has so far in his career, or sorry part. Of me just in twenty twenty five about sixty six and a half percent, completion percentage a little over thirty one, hundred yards twenty eight touchdowns to just. Seven interceptions he also ran for over one thousand yards and, Fourteen touchdowns so he's one to really keep an.
Speaker 3: Eye on he's not a little wiry. Guy either he's well built.
Speaker 2: Six three two thirty five and again it's one thing to put up those, crazy numbers, you know PLAYING. At usf but now he's got a chance to really prove it IN. The sec so.
Speaker 3: We haven't it's been. A while we probably have, new listeners and maybe some people didn't listen over the off season as much until. Training camp, get here you. Out here shame on you for six weeks, of course if that's. The case but we always talk about this is a great. Quarterback class but two or three or four of those guys that we've often discussed or either are gonna, Fall off they're gonna have a bad year. Or whatever and then there's gonna be a name or two that isn't getting thrown around. As much that's. Step up, You Know, Baker Mayfield, Carson Wentz, joe burrow you go on. And on there were. High picks this guy screams could be in the equation just because of the the gifts and The thing i've heard about, him before which is less than the. Other guys that don't be surprised if he's more and more of a. HOUSEHOLD name i guess as the season goes on in the, draft world just you can sometimes you can sniff them out.
Speaker 2: A little you've got a pretty good sniff. To, test yeah if you could Pass The matt williamson, sniff test you're moving in the. Right, direction yeah.
Speaker 3: It's, Like, cool Okay everything i'm learning now and moving the.
Speaker 2: Right direction let's jump up here into the. TOP forty a Name that MATT and i have mentioned a. Few times It is alabama Wide Receiver Ryan. Coleman. Williams now remember he burst onto the scene in twenty. Twenty four he was seventeen. Years old he's very young as a true Freshman. At alabama he skipped his senior year of, high school reclassified to Get to tuscaloosa a, year early and he just absolutely lit it up as. A freshman he had that huge.
Speaker 3: Game Linked Like. Jeremiah smith it, was, like oh this guy's going to be a top, three pick top. Five pick who's better of?
Speaker 2: The.
Speaker 3: Two yeah he had.
Speaker 2: An unbelievable performance that Year against georgia and like a, night time prime time college game, day game he had six catches one hundred and seventy seven yards in the game. Winning touchdown but by his admittedly by, lofty standards by, high expectations a little bit of a disappointing sophomore season, last year forty, nine receptions six hundred and ninety yards and. Four touchdowns According to kind of everybody around him in. The program he's he's had a really, good offseason primed for a. Big year up to one hundred and eighty five pounds on his six. Foot frame he was just.
Speaker 3: Putting deal he was.
Speaker 2: Just one sixty when he. Got there squat four sixty five, power clean two ninety five forty four, inch vertical eleven to two, broad jump and hit over twenty three miles per hour ON.
Speaker 3: The gps so. See nineteen now.
Speaker 2: He's, nineteen yeah THAT'S what.
Speaker 3: I thought i think he's like Younger than juju.
Speaker 2: COMING out i was gonna say he could potentially depending on what his. Birthday is he's like one of the, youngest ever could be one of the youngest guys. Ever, drafted, yeah which.
Speaker 3: You're glad he's putting on. The weight so he.
Speaker 2: Will turn he will turn twenty just before, The.
Speaker 3: Draft okay but he'll go.
Speaker 2: Very young he'll be nineteen still the week Of The super bowl met which is which. Is wild but he will turn twenty before. THE draft, i was, you.
Speaker 3: Know say juju young because he was. Unusually young but. HE'S still I think juju turned twenty one during. TRAINING camp i believe.
Speaker 2: You are he was twenty when he, got drafted but he turned, twenty one not terribly. Long after where.
Speaker 3: This guy is gonna have a long wait to. Turn, twenty oh it'll be.
Speaker 2: The end it'll be if he goes pro after, this year it'll be it'll be after his rookie season until he turns.
Speaker 3: Twenty one, so, COINCIDENTALLY yesterday, i guess or MAYBE whenever i was, DRIVING home i was Listening To, trevor sikima, you know a friend of. The pod he was doing his way too early. Stock exchange there's two of them on, this show way too early wide receiver ranks for. Next year they they are concerns. ABOUT him, i mean they really did not like how last year went mixed with his thinness, set slash, you know lack of size. And physicality they went out of their way several times to Mention how jeremy basically took over the number one role for the second half of the season and they were better off in that situation than when they were filtering everything. Through him so he needs to. Redeem himself he. Absolutely does it sounds like he's. Very, capable he's without, a doubt. Crazy TALENTED but, i think, you know. And listen we've seen this before where guys burst onto the scene and they get figured out a, little bit and then they have to be the ones to kind of adjust. And adapt and we'll see what type of year he's in for down There. At alabama one more matt before we go, to break and then maybe we'll take a look at some of the top names on this list to close out. The hour number thirty six on this list is one of my, Personal Favorites, leonora sellers the quarterback.
Speaker 2: That he has to be on Out Of. South carolina here's the write up. On him, at times he Looks. Like superman clemson had a defensive line FULL of, nfl Talent and sellers ran around and threw each of them two years in a row in a big win for The game cocks against their. Arch rivals he TOOK Home sec freshman Of the year honors in twenty. Twenty four, last year with an offensive, Coordinator change sellers wasn't quite, as sharp But With kendall brile's, Taking over sellers is expected to bounce back, six three two hundred and thirty. Five pounds sellers dropped his.
Speaker 3: Heavier in two. Thirty five he's a big thick he's.
Speaker 2: Real, thick yeah just six percent body fat, this offseason really dense and has that's a good word, to Use dentse and he's topped over twenty two miles per hour ON the.
Speaker 3: Gps tracker oh over twenty two at.
Speaker 2: His size so there's, some uh.
Speaker 3: IT'S obvious i mean he's a big. Time athlete there's some.
Speaker 2: Big bend there's Some big ben. Comparisons, there, YEAH yeah i mean.
Speaker 3: McNair's one i've heard a, lot too going back quite away because they're built. Real similarly huge year, for HIM because i think he could be in the first overall conversation or he COULD be i will take a Flyer on. Day two the last two years didn't. Go great. YOU know i think there's a wide range of draft outcomes for him.
Speaker 2: Very much so he COULD be. I wouldn't i wouldn't put him as one of, the favorites but he could be the first, overall pick certainly if he had a. Massive year but, you're right he can end up Being In carson beck's. Draft, range yeah depending on how. THINGS go i want to take a look at a few more. Than names who's at the top of, this list or the couple other quarterbacks that we've discussed throughout the. Off season where did. They land we'll get to all that and more as we close down the first hour of. The program Muller. And williamson it Is, the drive all part of our training Camp Coverage Steelers nation radio On The Steelers. Audio network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty Twenty Six Steelers training camp Or The Steelers, audio network presented By, Bud light Easy, to drink Easy, to enjoy and brought to you in Part By Pennsylvania One CALL systems dyle eight one One Before YOU Dig Snt Bank People forward Banking By, kalucy chevrolet Serving the pittsburgh area for over one hundred and. Eight Years Clearview Federal. Credit union for every Touchdown the Black and gold score in twenty, Twenty six view will donate five hundred dollars To the Light of, life mission, THEY said clearviewfcu dot org and Buy Iron Workers Local union. Number three we don't go to, The office we.
Speaker 3: Build it.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here in the first hour of the drive on the Campus Of Saint, vincent college a, little overcast soggy day Here In. Unity township as the team, got, Yeah, what matt would we say about thirty forty minutes of on field practice before they had to go to the moor something, Like that, so hey you'll have that on big jobs, like this, and uh fortunately plenty of resources here on campus to Let the steelers still get the day's.
Speaker 3: WORK in i want to get back. This freaklist but one thing just dawned on, me too BECAUSE labs i were chatting, about this well not, exactly this BUT the nfl is very strict with how many minutes you practice and stuff like.
Speaker 2: That too it's like you, get in you go two, minutes over and you're, getting, yeah, Yeah FINE.
Speaker 3: So i wonder all that transportation from here, to there assuming the clock's ticking that, whole time.
Speaker 2: That's a GREAT question i would if you, Made, GUESS yeah i would say the clock's ticking the, whole time just because that feels like something that teams could manipulate if it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Right right like we'll just really take our time to get down there and with the coaches and the buggy, with you, you know chatting or.
Speaker 2: And just how much like it just feels like it's one of those things which you can't have great, like oh we practiced for an hour and then we kind of went over here and then we practiced for. Another hour where it's just like once, that yeah once the, clock starts, it's running and that's how much time. You have and if you have to move inside because, of weather if you have to do this, or that sorry that it because it just feels like something that teams, down there and the teams would find a way. TO manipulate i would think it's a good question, by, you THOUGH and i WONDER if labs would have an answer to that one. For us but my first thought would, be, that yeah. You can't you can't give you can't give teams any. Wiggle room if the classic if you give them a mouse, of, cookie right you give a mouse, a cookie or you give them, an inch they'll take a mile clock stars and you've got the one hundred and twenty minutes or the two hundred minutes or whatever it's allotted for. THAT week i would think that that would be.
Speaker 3: The CASE so i didn't know this until just the other NIGHT and i confirmed IT with. Labs today the clock starts on practice the second the first coach crosses the. White lines so you'll See. THE steeler i assume every team, does it but now it's a new Thing that. Steelers do the players spend a lot of time on the field before the coaches. Join them it's, pretty crazy you.
Speaker 2: KNOW what i hadn't not bending.
Speaker 3: The rules it's just the way it.
Speaker 2: Goes right that to ME is, i, mean hey you could say that they're kind of, you know they're massaging. The RULES that, i guess, but yeah that's the way the. Rules written that's the way the rules the rule.
Speaker 3: Is WRITTEN and i was thinking about it has to be, that way because it can't be like when the first player meanders, out there the second come and go and, right right some of.
Speaker 2: The guys will come down forty five minutes before practice just to get on the, jugs machine and so you'll, set.
Speaker 3: Stretching kind of, hovering around and then they all jump out. There, together basically it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty wild it's funny you, say that because there have been a couple of Practices where i've noticed the coaches kind of congregating down on the. END zone i just assumed that they were kind of outlining, the practice making sure they're all on the, same page that kind, of stuff and be but that's probably part.
Speaker 3: Of it i'm Sure that's it's kind. Of interesting they pretty much all go at the, same time, all right, let's go let's go get.
Speaker 2: Every minute you see Like some belichickian thing where like he would just like sit on the goalpost and never actually cross the. White lives they. All, coach, therefore yeah we got have a four.
Speaker 3: Hour practice they're on bullhorns and, you know right, right right that might be a little, pushing it but they they make sure that a coach doesn't just go meander on there first before everybody.
Speaker 2: Gets, Right okay so here's the follow up question THAT that i have, to ask and we will get back into the. Freaks list, but absolutely as, you've mentioned we got plenty of time on today's show without a ton of practice stuff to. Talk about who's the person who Has to is THERE an nflpa representative who's supposed to keep an eye on? That stuff if you were that guy For, the steelers you're supposed to snitch on your old coaching staff if they don't follow.
Speaker 3: The rules perfectly happened IN in. Nfl history, oh absolutely maybe not for, those things but.
Speaker 2: Like we've heard about teams getting fined money and teams get you fine, draft picks but who gets you. In trouble who's the one who's supposed to report? That stuff is it randomly or they're just officials FROM the nfl who are at training camps to keep an eye on. That stuff and it's almost like a health inspector if you run. A restaurant sometimes you know when the health inspector. Is coming other times they show. Up unannounced, you know, guy right? Exactly right When's the. Michelin star hey we didn't.
Speaker 3: Get one we? Got?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 2: YEAH nice i.
Speaker 3: Don't know it's bet you'd get away with a lot of it if. You tried but or do you have to like send the tape to every practice to somebody in? League office it's got everything like this is when, we started this is when, we ended and here's the video. OF it i.
Speaker 2: DON'T know i would think there has to be some kinds of some kind of checks and balances there because we know it's a, competitive sport it's a. Competitive league they they don't think THERE'S.
Speaker 3: An nfl representative here, every practice think every. Single, one no like we don't know where, they're at, you know sitting there at.
Speaker 2: The stopwatch but maybe twice during campler, is yeah maybe that's that's another one, left though that's another one left to. Ask labs i'll See if i'll, See Uh jerry, Doulac tonight i'll ask him with if he's got any insight, on that because if it's one Of, those, okay hey were they really one hundred and? Ten minutes maybe they were one hundred. AND twelve i don't think that's something that they're.
Speaker 3: Sounding along don't think you're like losing a draft pick, for, that, yeah, Right right.
Speaker 2: But if you're consistently like we're going to get an extra twelve minutes at every practice and we're gonna do it this way, OR so i feel like eventually that would, you know raise.
Speaker 3: Some red flags or we get SOME and i bet the players would talk among THEMSELVES like i think we're going over and then the player rep goes and makes, a call and, you know it's not like it's, anti team it's just.
Speaker 2: The rules everything is. Collectively, Bargain, now, yeah yeah it. Really is that's.
Speaker 3: It's pretty, wild though to keep an idea on the on The ref.
Speaker 2: I'm going or not, The ref, i'm sorry the coach, coach him and They, walk yes tomorrow's. TOMORROW'S practice i can't wait to see. Them all when, THAT'S true i kind of shared some of my sausage, making SECRET but i might have. To, tomorrow No what i'll, do is. Uh call i'll call labs and be like labs where the, coaches yeah and he'll give me some four letter words and hang up.
Speaker 3: The phone i'm trying trying to write a.
Speaker 2: Practice report that's. That's uh that's INTERESTING because i didn't know that portion, of it.
Speaker 3: Which there has to be a.
Speaker 2: Start time it, Makes me it makes me harken back to the past TO where i Felt Like mike tomlin was always out here, pretty early kind of trying to get the guys going and. All that but you wouldn't be, now interesting everything is. Collectively bargained every THERE'S there's i think there's So little and you talk about this, a lot how there's only so many hours in. The week it would really surprise you from a, coaching perspective like you talk about that when it comes to conversations of drafting and, developing prospects like you don't have eight hours to Spend every Tuesday and Wednesday and thursday to Work With drew aller to help him develop his footwork. And stuff you got to beat the chiefs. EXACTLY right i mean everything is. Collectively bargained how much time you can spend practicing in film rooms and all, That stuff and there's really not as much time in the week as you as you think there, would be especially once you get into the regular season and out of this process and you.
Speaker 3: Really realize it when you're part of a team on, the inside in, the walls in. The meetings, like man we got to pick between red zone or third down offense day because you can't.
Speaker 2: Do both hour in, the books, another hour two more hours part of me, To, go kee keep those tweets. Rolling in we're Gonna get we're gonna get back to the freaks here to kick off the four o'clock hour when We Return West Huler, MATT williamson, a quiet wet one Here On Satan vincent. College today we've got an hour in, the books two more hours to go for you before we conclude our coverage here On this Monday At. Chuck nolefield all part of our ongoing training Camp Coverage Steelers nation radio On The Steelers audio network