Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Ah, you hear that song, You know what it means? Maybe a little bit of red wine. That's exactly what we have here in the Bloomberg Interactive Broker's Studio. Pangaea It's a Greek word that means all the Earth. It was used to describe a super continent that existed two hundred and forty million years ago, made up of all the continents and land masses that are now separate. The name comes from the Greek words pan, which mean all, in gaya, which mean earth. It'll all makes sense as we bring in our next guest, and I know my coast Carol Masser is very very sad to be missing this. She talked with one of our guests about a year ago and yes, sampled some wine. I believe she even kept the bottle because the labels alone are gorgeous. Joining us. Now back with us Travis Braithwaite, the founder of Pangaea States, as well as Pangaa States partner Michelle Roland from the Napa Valley. It's good to have both of you with us. How are you great?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Thank you, yeah, thanks thanks so much for joining us talk a little. You know, we have wine guests frequently, frequently on Friday, thanks to our producer Paul Brannan, who knows what we love on a Friday afternoon. But when you think about the market out there, Travis, there're no shortage of wines to choose from. It's an incredibly competitive market. How do you make Pangaea wine stick out?
Speaker 3: That's true, it is a competitive market.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I think our unique selling point is the innovation and the way we've changed what we do. We've changed the norm We've stepped a little bit away from tradition and we've created something that's a world fast.
Speaker 5: I want to bring you in now, Michelle, into the conversation too, because you know, it was just pointing out our producer Paul Britain. He also Paul was giving us the heads up here that on August twenty eighth, so next Wednesday, National Red Wine Day, also conveniently same day as in video is earning. So if anybody needs some wine potentially after those results there you maybe it'll be in video shorts, you know, right right, we'll have to see what happens there, but wanted to point that out there. But Michelle, it comes to your when it comes to what you do here, give us kind of a background of how y'all got to this point to our listeners who might not know kind of the background of what y'all do here.
Speaker 4: Huh, that's it.
Speaker 6: We need a long time. That's a long background now. But in fact, my job is winemaker. And you know, we inventor on flying wine maker just for me because because I was doing wine in a so many countries twenty two in in all my life. And when I met Travis to do to do Pangaea program.
Speaker 4: You know, when you are getting old like I am, you need you need something.
Speaker 6: You need something attractive or or new or interesting and and and to blend, to blend different wine from different country. What was for me attractive because I did so many brands in Bordeaux, in in Italy, in Spain, in California or everywhere in the world. And and to do to do blending between between five different countries, what was was crazy enough to seduce me. And and so that's why I said to Travis, you are the man for the logistic But I am the man for the blending, and.
Speaker 4: So here we are and we are very happy.
Speaker 2: Well one of my sure our viewers and listeners understand exactly what's going on, So correct me if I'm wrong. But the blend of grapes includes grapes from the blend of wine includes grapes from five different countries, Travis, Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: So it's it's a classic border style blend. So Cabinet Frank from South Africa, Pativado from Spain, Malbeck from Argentina, Murder from border of France, and Cabinet Savion from Napavelli in the US.
Speaker 2: So it's about thirty three percent, Cabinet Samon thirty nine percent or low nineteen percent, mal Back, Cabinet franc six percent and petite Ferdh three percent.
Speaker 3: Yes, on the vintage you have, Okay, that's the.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Year.
Speaker 2: Okay, how does it? How has it changed in recent years?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 2: And why does it change?
Speaker 4: Depends of my humor.
Speaker 2: You're the boss, but really, I mean, how do you how do you know? How do you know? Wine takes a long time to me make, so how do you know what you want? In terms of the blend?
Speaker 3: You ahead of time, so we know what we want from the wine itself. We want something harmonious, balanced, powerful, elegant and with structure. So we kind of go into it knowing the style of wine we want to make, and the blend is made at the time, we sit and try each of the varieties and whatever is standing out, and Michelle is in the master of the blend. We create the perfect wine from the components that we have every year.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I've got the twenty sixteen Red Blend in my hand. I'm going to pull a Carol Master. I'm going to do my best Carrol Master and try to put the work on the air without Now I'm very self conscious.
Speaker 7: Hold on, hold right, oh, perfect, Okay. I would say the timing in hindsight, the time wasn't great. There was a little too much sence though. Yeah, maybe set it up well. But all right, so Jess you ask a question.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to pour some samples for ourselves, because you know it's Friday afternoon.
Speaker 5: Yes, thank you, and then you can pour me one as well. Travis, I wanted to bring you back into the conversation, talk to us about what's distinctive about each Red grape component here.
Speaker 3: So with each of the components in the blend, we particularly picked the regions of the world where it's grown because the region and the terwir in each place allows the grape to ripen the best and show itself the best. So what you have in the bottle is a real representation of each of the varieties showing off the best it can.
Speaker 5: And Michelle will kind of build on this too, because how are the blending sessions for the twenty two vintage progressing at this point?
Speaker 6: Blenny two and we just be we we are were you know every years, almost the same. We have we have the wine, we have the wine coming. That's very important. What what mentioned Travis. Each wine is done to be blended one day in in in Pangaea. So so the cap Front is coming from from South Africa. We we are doing it thinking we we have to blend one day.
Speaker 4: Pativiado is coming from Spain. We do it. We do it for that Mellow is from France. I'm close to to it because because.
Speaker 6: I know very well Bordeo and Mellow in Bordeaux, melbag from Argentina.
Speaker 4: So we are making the wine first and and.
Speaker 6: After that we we tried to put in the same room all all the all the components we taste and we try to to see in which way we are going to make the brand. That's why I mentioned before is variable. We don't have a percentage of each variety the same every year.
Speaker 4: We can do that. We are doing the best wine, the best wine. We use the five varieties.
Speaker 6: But we can we can law or increase some some cabinets of mail bag and we have we had already since fifteen to twenty one, we had every year different different vintages and different percentages of of the of the variety we use. And so today the day I'm beginning the bland for the n for one particular vintage, I have no idea which which is the potan a can use. I tried to do the best and that's it. And after Travis tell me you are right, you got wrong.
Speaker 4: But but.
Speaker 1: No, but.
Speaker 2: I want to bring you back into the conversation. Travis, you have a really interesting background. You're from Stellenbosch, which is essentially the Napa Valley of South Africa. It's the Cape Winelands. If anyone's ever been there, just a absolutely gorgeous area which with fantastic wine. I'm curious how the wine industry globally has changed over your lifetime, specifically with regard to climate change, because now you find yourself in northern California where fires are a huge concern. How are you thinking about climate change when when it comes to wine production.
Speaker 3: I think all around the world, the challenges are actually ensuring that your vineyards can can move through periods of extreme climate change. You know, from drought in most of the areas is becoming a bit of an issue. So farming practices have to change. The varieties we plant to have to change, and the way we manage vineyards. So I think, for example in Stutembosh, it's getting very very warm, So having having the right rootstock to the right plane and managing the process of farming through that process is the hardest challenge we have.
Speaker 2: What about when it comes to travis to the wine business and how nowadays you are trying to appeal to a different demographic. There's some concern that younger people aren't drinking as much as earlier as older generations. Talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, I mean, I think that's a concern for the alcohol industry in general, you know, for wine, wine has always been a product that has been enjoyed in the company of food and with friends, and it's a very much a cultural product in a lot of the world. It's something that we grow up with that we see our parents enjoying. And I think wine can weather the storm and whether these challenges and changes if people are willing to innovate, to try new things and to appeal to different markets. I think the hardest part for us is to find a way to appeal to a younger generation, to enjoy our products in moderation and enjoy them in the right environment, and to sell our products as something that can be enjoyed in that way.
Speaker 5: Hey, Michelle, we only have about thirty seconds left. But what comes next for you?
Speaker 6: No idea, But I want to say something about the new consumption and the new people now now.
Speaker 4: The new people.
Speaker 6: Before before was was very traditional consumption, so Peopole was liking Bordo, even Burgundia, Italian or Spanish. But okay, but today today is the new generation is looking for a story, and today's the story is very important. So they are looking legs, they are looking in alcore like in wine and wine. I think we have to do to find some way to make more fun and to give more fun and and we imagine with Travis, to make wine for funny.
Speaker 2: Funny is a good word to describe the wine industry. We're gonna have to leave it there, guys, Pangaea Estates partner Michelle Roland and Travis Braithway, the founder of Pangaea Estates.
Speaker 1: This is Blimberg