Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We weren't able to bring a studio audience in to watch the show, and a lot of people have asked about that. We're at a great place for pickleball, the Exchange in New Orleans and the Dan Nets. They decided that they wanted to have a match coming up and it's gonna be front row, back row. So it's it's Marvin and Paul versus Fritzy and Setan, and they're going to play later on today. And I had the odds to win the match here. So Seaton and Todd right now are favored. Seton and Todd are favored. H Todd yesterday banging around a little bit and you you had some had some skill, but they enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: You, of course played tennis in high school.
Speaker 4: I was back up to the second doubles.
Speaker 5: So if the last player on second doubles was hurt or sick or whatever, they might give me the chance to get up there.
Speaker 3: That would make you the third I don't think there was third doubles.
Speaker 5: It was like you sit there and we'll let you know if everybody else can't play, you know, and then they're actually, I'm not even joking. Some kid pulled up like in a wheelchair from one of the other high schools and he's like, you know, and they didn't even guarantee me I was gonna play in that match.
Speaker 4: I was like, we may go to you here. So one month you give fred Fred over there from Lafayette.
Speaker 3: High School in the wheelchair area.
Speaker 6: Is oh, that okay?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: Lit offend.
Speaker 7: You know what's funny is that, for like the last almost twenty years, we've done nothing but make fun of Todd's alleged tennis career until today where it's like, well, yeah, but Todd played tennis, so of course he's gonna be good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Wow, all of a sudden, Todd's a tennis player. Before that, he's a guy who never played sports.
Speaker 4: The last guy shared the story, it might be a pick him.
Speaker 7: Now, yeah, no, no, no, your favorite, Well Todd is a tennis you're.
Speaker 5: I was on the tennis team and I got a couple of trips base on what everyone else accomplished.
Speaker 2: I watched the athleticism of the other guys. I think you're ahead of the game.
Speaker 5: I'm battling some plantar fasciatas. I don't want to make excuses, but both my heels hurt a lot.
Speaker 3: What injury will be sustained?
Speaker 2: First, I got the odds are knee, achilles or ankle, hamstring, hip, arm, slash, elbow.
Speaker 3: I don't really care for this one. Gotta admit odds.
Speaker 2: To score first point, Seaton, You're the big winner there. I'll take that UH player to miss the ball or hit the ball out of play or into the net the most.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Paulie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't even call that one over under excuses complaints in the match four and a half.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going over with that.
Speaker 2: But these are the odds. The back room guys came up with the odds.
Speaker 7: We've already had that in just this segment we're not playing. We're at at least five yes to their chair.
Speaker 4: Ump or rep. I didn't notice that.
Speaker 5: I was watching other people play that were very into their pickleball, and I guess it's just kind of gentlemen's rules as far as you know, if there's an argument about a call, Yeah, we just kind of work out against themselves.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be the headlinesman.
Speaker 7: Yes, Yes, there was a moment yesterday where we were practicing a little bit and it took like thirty seconds. So I was like, oh, we got this. This is easy, you know. And we're playing. And then the coach here, the pro was like, okay, but you're supposed to do it like ten feet apart from each other. We were playing the game like it was tennis, you know, like spread out all the way. Okay, but you're supposed to be like right up on the net doing it.
Speaker 5: Which I still plan to play exactly like I said, take my chances.
Speaker 4: And someone says, you were in the kitchen. You were in the bedroom. Why were you doing that in the den?
Speaker 3: No, it's all in the living room.
Speaker 4: You gotta let it bounce. You can't go into the dining room and hit.
Speaker 3: Us the kitchen. That's it, cool man.
Speaker 4: I think her name was Muriel.
Speaker 6: She came over to me.
Speaker 4: You've never played before.
Speaker 8: You were dinking in the laundry room.
Speaker 3: Oh, you guys.
Speaker 4: Don't understand the rules. Okay, Muriel, two bounces. Murial.
Speaker 3: I don't remember seeing Muriel, but.
Speaker 4: She was there with Gloria and they would Sadie. They were all there.
Speaker 5: They were looking and they're like they came in from Palm Beach to play a pickleball with us.
Speaker 6: I know what's going on.
Speaker 8: Yes, I like Todd's doing every old pick a ball stereotype. If that's the thing.
Speaker 9: Everyone here that we've seen playing is like twenty three years old, hit jack. Every guy looks like a Kwon Bold and there's some tough football player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, James Winston plays here. Uh, Cam Jordan plays here.
Speaker 4: Dunlevy came by the chat with you.
Speaker 6: How about that.
Speaker 2: Mike dun Levy Senior. Mike dunley Vy senior came in. He plays pickleball five days a week.
Speaker 8: A little bit of a social scene around here.
Speaker 3: It was yeah, like if I'm single, yeah, I'm picking up a rock.
Speaker 7: That's why I started to figure it out a little bit this. I was like, oh wait a minute, I think I know what's going on here. They got a bar here, yeah, they got two. Oh see, that's why this place is so cud ready. Yeah yeah, hun, I'm gonna go play pickleball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so be back one, let's just go grab a drink.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, but they're right, boy, I got the stereotypes all wrong. I thought pickleball was one type of group where, like, you know, the seventy to ninety crowd or.
Speaker 4: Something like that. Oh my back, I give lest next point wins like hint, I got four o'clock dinner.
Speaker 6: It's not like that, who says oi?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah here?
Speaker 1: Oh so human?
Speaker 4: Maybe not here, but that's what I pictured pick a ball today, I can't, Hi.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's like, you know, shuffle board or something where it's.
Speaker 4: Activity you can do. It's the last thing you do before your bedridden. That's what I thought it was.
Speaker 2: But it's not that long, all right, So we'll have that for you a little bit later on today the match it's Todd and Seaton versus Marv and Paulie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's is your point system about Laura?
Speaker 5: No, I'm curious, like, how do you were favored by? Is it two and a half points?
Speaker 6: Is it? What is the number?
Speaker 4: How does the how do they say pickleball's points?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we were about that later. All right, we got a show to do.
Speaker 2: You know him as the top NFL reporter for the Monday Morning Quarterback. He's borderline a member of this show at this point. He is the Monday Morning Quarterback. He's Albert Breer who joins us on the program. Yeah, all right, what like, are you going surfingers like you got you got camo shorts on, like you got stocks.
Speaker 6: It's my my casual look this morning.
Speaker 3: It's like you're you're.
Speaker 2: Picking up the baton from Peter King the way he used to dress. Peter would wear the shortest of shorts.
Speaker 6: I'm constantly in his shadow.
Speaker 10: I guess yeah, I uh I, I messed up the time zone and so like that that that has that that contributed to my to the state I'm in.
Speaker 2: Right now, Okay, Central time you got stowed up a little bit, still adjusting.
Speaker 6: Oh so you would have had something like, well, no, I messed up.
Speaker 10: I messed up some of the timing as as Todd knows, and yeah, it was uh I'm here though, I'm here all right.
Speaker 2: So how surprised were you with the Miles Garrett trade request.
Speaker 10: I'm not shocked because these things like have happened over the last ten years.
Speaker 6: I think the dynamic in the NFL has changed.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: What's really interesting about it to me is like that he went public the way that he did.
Speaker 10: Which sort of tells you the truth, which the truth is that their request has been in and the idea of going public is that he's frustrated that they're not accommodating him, and so you know, I think what going public does for him now is it puts him in a position to put or puts the Browns in a position where they don't have to pick up the phone at all. They can say, we're not We're not changing our position. We are we are, but collegs are.
Speaker 6: Going to come in.
Speaker 10: You know, obviously he is what he is, which is probably, I don't know, one of the top five or so defensive players of the last decade.
Speaker 3: So what's he worth?
Speaker 10: I think the baselines that is two first round picks. So I think you go started that number and then go from there. It's what Jalen Ramsey got, It's what Laramie Tunsel got. Now, I think, you know, you got to do something to get the Browns attention. So maybe it winds up being more than that. The other thing you have to remember, I mean like, two first round picks sounds like this eye popping hall. The reality is the team, most of the teams that are gonna want Miles Garrett gonna be teams that are gonna win now spot and their picks are going to be down in the twenties or even the thirties, you know.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean I expect there to be a lot of interest. And you know, I mean the Browns position is what it.
Speaker 10: Should be right now, which is like we're not trading a generational player. Were in the playoffs two years ago, so you know, I think for another team coming in, it's like you really have to do something to get their attention.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this before.
Speaker 2: Dion Sanders impact on the draft with his son, and there was a report that Dion would not want his son to go to the Cleveland Browns if they were to take him. Would that scare off the Cleveland Browns in your opinion, I.
Speaker 10: Don't know he's going that high anyway, but I think it's something they'd have to consider.
Speaker 6: And you know, I think we saw it twenty years ago.
Speaker 10: When a guy has an NFL dad, generally those guys are more business minded. I think you can even see it with like the way like a Patrick Sirtan carries himself. You know, it's when when a guy's got a dad's who's been through it and went through it, they generally have like a they naturally have a really good feel for the way the business works. And you know, I don't blame Deon for looking at it and saying, I just want my kid in a good situation.
Speaker 6: I want my kid in a situation that's.
Speaker 10: Going to give them the best chance to have a ten to fifteen year career as a starter in the NFL.
Speaker 6: And I think Dion's smart enough to know that.
Speaker 10: Like you look at the best quarterbacks in the league, how many went into bad circumstances, Like we always talk about how they go to bad teams. Josh Allen was drafted by a playoff team. Lamar Jackson was drafted by a playoff team. Patrick Mahomes was drafted by a playoff team. Like all of those teams were in the playoffs the year before, so they weren't going to broken situations. Not to say they wouldn't have made it anyway, but like they went to situations that weren't just complete train wrecks. So you know, I think Dion obviously has been around long enough to know it and see it and see the difference between one thing and another, and obviously once what was best for his son.
Speaker 2: But you look at Cleveland, it's almost like that is the epicenter of the NFL because you got Deshaun Watson, they have the number two pick, and then you have the Miles Garrett situation. You play in a very competitive division as well.
Speaker 3: I don't know, are.
Speaker 2: They closer to being good or closer to being really bad?
Speaker 6: I so I think they're in an interesting spot in that.
Speaker 10: The core that they have only has so many more shots, you know what I mean. Like, so you got Miles Garrett going into year nine, you have Denzel Ward going into year eight.
Speaker 6: You've got some really good line that Joel.
Speaker 10: Batonio has been there forever, who are starting to age.
Speaker 6: So like, I think it's I still think it's a good operation. Like if you look at what.
Speaker 10: They've done, you know, over the last five years, which is where they were before that, they've made the playoffs twice, and the second time they made the playoffs that was amid the Deshaun Watson completely.
Speaker 6: Falling apart on them. So I think it's a good operation.
Speaker 10: That it made a really big mistake in trading for Deshaun Watson, you know, and they got to live.
Speaker 6: With that, and they got to were that. But I still think, how long.
Speaker 4: Do you live with it?
Speaker 6: Well, I think now is where you don't live with it.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 10: Now this is where and I've said this since November, like, this plan is not new, is not directly related to the second Achilles tear. When Deshaun Watson went down, based on where they were, they had made the decision we are no longer going to coddle him or protect him because last year, one of the reasons they didn't bring Joe Flacco back was because that wouldn't that may not have been healthy for DeShawn because having the team could look at him and say, like Deshaun, the team could look and say, we've got a better option in the room with him, Joe Flacco, and that wouldn't have been wouldn't have been great for DeShawn coming off of that injury. After what they went through this year, they made the conscious decision and this was in season, they made the decision where at the very least going to add competition to the room. So rather than trying to build a quarterback room to support him, we're gonna we're gonna put somebody in there who could take his job.
Speaker 6: And so that was a baseline.
Speaker 10: Before he had the second Achilles tair and then he has the second Achilles Tair and.
Speaker 6: Now you know again like it's just like how to me.
Speaker 10: It's like when you're looking at guys like Garrett and you're looking at guys like Garrett and Ward on that roster, it's it's timelines. It's like, can we fix the quarterback position fast enough to get good enough to compete at a high enough level to contend for a championship.
Speaker 6: While Garrett and Ward and some of those other guys still have something left e ch.
Speaker 3: Albert Brier the Monday Morning quarterback.
Speaker 2: Uh, Cooper Cup on the market, what does hefferent?
Speaker 10: I mean, it's a different kettle of fish and Garrett. You know, we talked about the two of them.
Speaker 3: Because this is a playoff team.
Speaker 2: But I know there's a big number with Cooper Cup's salary.
Speaker 3: Is that what they're doing?
Speaker 6: I think it's just sort of run its course.
Speaker 10: They also have a big Like no one's talking about the Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 6: I don't understand it, Like I.
Speaker 10: Don't understand why nobody's talking about the idea that Stafford could be available. And then if you're another team, you're probably calling the Rams. That contract negotiation last year was tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're seven points away from the NFC title game.
Speaker 6: I know, I know. But here's the thing. Like, so they went through i mean like a legitimate.
Speaker 10: Like four or five month negotiation, they wind up ban dating it right like in the summer.
Speaker 6: So you get to July and they do they push five million dollars forward.
Speaker 10: From twenty five and twenty six into twenty four, guarantee all of it, and then remove all of his guarantees like post twenty four. So now we're into a part of his contract where there's no guaranteed money left. He's making less money than he was on the books to make this year because they borrowed from that to give him the money this past year. And they had had an agreement when they when they when they did the reworked deal, we're going to revisit it at the end of the year. Well now we're at the point where they're going to revisit it.
Speaker 11: So what if.
Speaker 10: Matthew Stafford wants a market correction and said, what is it, seven or eight guys are making over fifty million, I want fifty million. There's just a lot of stuff there where Okay, but if I'm another team, I make that call.
Speaker 3: You know, but there's only a couple of teams that are going to make that call.
Speaker 6: Steelers.
Speaker 3: Okay, does his wife want to move out of Los Angeles?
Speaker 10: I mean, and that's a fair question. Yeah, I mean, that's a fair question. But I do think I mean, Matthew said he wants to keep playing, you know, so I think the coaches would love to have him back in Los Angeles. I think there's just there's a lot there that they've got to work through over the.
Speaker 6: Next few weeks, and maybe it winds up being fine. But I know this, like.
Speaker 10: If I'm one of those teams that if I feel like I'm a quarterback away and I look at the market and I see Sam Donald, Russell Wilson, justin feels that Stafford's the guy who can put you over the top.
Speaker 6: I mean we saw it.
Speaker 10: We saw it four years ago, you know, when he was available in the Rams.
Speaker 6: You know, we put the Rams over the top.
Speaker 10: And the Steelers is another one where I'm thinking of those timelines, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: TJ. Watt turns thirty one. I believe this year thirty two.
Speaker 10: Nika Fitzpatrick, I believe it's turning twenty nine this year So the Steelers are like in that same position I talked about with Cleveland where it's like they they don't have their answer at quarterback. They don't have a quarterback we can put them in a position to compete with Mahomes, Alan Burrow Lamar in the AFC right now, So like they're sort of in this no man's land with those star players where it's like, can we fix this position fast enough so we can compete with TJ and Minka still at the height of their powers, or do we have to look at resetting completely? You know, I think that the Steelers are the one where I look at them. It's like if there's a team that could take a swing at.
Speaker 6: Quarterback, they would be them.
Speaker 10: And I'd say, like, just looking at where they're at, Like if I'm them, I'm on the phone with the Rams, I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Look like you, then I would say, we want Cooper cup and Matthew Stafford if you're the Steelers, and.
Speaker 10: They would the Rams would probably do that, you know, Like if I'm not, they wouldn't. I'm not saying that they dude Stafford now, but if they had gotten to the point where we're trading Stafford I think that.
Speaker 6: You know, you could do some sort of package deal.
Speaker 3: There, Sam Darnold.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So like the vikings are in, the vikings are, I would say comfortable with the idea now of going to JJ McCarthy in twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Five if that's the way things shake out.
Speaker 10: You know, he lost four months of development time that he would have gotten had he not gotten hurt. But the second surgery was just a cleanup, and he was very engaged. And if you want to go back to August, like he had done enough to at least create some intrigue in that building, like is he a better option than and Sam had a great year, but it got them to kind of look at their plan and say, is there going to come a point when we want to put JJ out there this year? So he had made that much progress even though they planned in red shirting him. Then he gets hurt and he stayed engaged. Like my understanding is like when the team was out on the practice field, he would go and do his rehab, but other than that he was involved in the quarterback room and all the meetings and all of that.
Speaker 6: And then he started traveling with them in October so.
Speaker 10: He could be part of the game day operation, so he could be on the headsets all that different stuff. They feel really good about where JJ is and I think.
Speaker 6: What it does.
Speaker 10: It doesn't mean Sam's gone, but it does give them some flexibility.
Speaker 6: Where they can draw lines now.
Speaker 10: And maybe the answer is to franchise if that's forty million dollars is a lot of money, or maybe they can let him go to the market and say come back to us, and like, you know, we don't want to We don't we may not want to reset the market. We understands the risk we lose you if you do this, but we love you. Go to the market and see what's up. You know it's and it's interesting too because to me, you won fourteen games. You want to give the veterans on your team, you know, guys like if Harrison Smith's back, you know Jonathan Grenard, you know obviously Justin Jefferson, Christian Derris saw these guys who are part of this fourteen win team, Like you want to give them the best chance at the most important position.
Speaker 6: So you do want to be stopped there. But I do think they feel comfortable if the guys.
Speaker 2: JJ all right, final thirty seconds, we're gonna play the Miles Garrett game.
Speaker 3: Okay, later on where will he go? I'll let you have your.
Speaker 6: My favorite destination will be Detroit.
Speaker 10: Oh, I Like, I just think about that, Like, I'm like, they're in a spot now where they don't need their first round pick there, they don't really need to keep stalking like they like, they may be in a position where, if you're them, you can almost say, like, we may only have five or six rookies make our team, you know what I mean? Like, so are they in a position now where it's like we can spend, we can start to flip picks. If you're them and you lost all of these coaches and you want to flip the momentum and kind of keep things.
Speaker 6: Going in the right direction.
Speaker 10: I mean, God, the idea of Miles Garrett opposite Aiden Hutch, I mean, like that.
Speaker 6: To me is really intriguing.
Speaker 10: And so I mean I think Detroit is just Detroit's in this championship window.
Speaker 6: And like after I mean, they had so.
Speaker 10: Much momentum and then they the ugly loss to Washington and it was six or seven coaches and it's like, looks like, oh God, are they missing their window? What's the easiest way to flip that.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback senior NFL reporter, Thanks you.
Speaker 10: By the way, they did call at the trade deadline on Miles Okay, he was not available, but they at least inquired when they traded for Zadarius Smith.
Speaker 3: So thanks again. You got it all season long.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: Well, we have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right, So.
Speaker 12: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 6: As they say.
Speaker 13: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 13: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 4: Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the dan ET's Dan Patrick Show come on in Stale Wild.
Speaker 3: Charles Barkley will stop by.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. There was an interesting stat and I had not heard this stat before. No team has ever won a Super Bowl while not having any takeaways during the postseason. The Chiefs do not have a takeaway yet this postseason. I don't know how many times we've had teams that have gone into the Super Bowl with that stat but no takeaways here. Also, no players ever scored a touchdown or rushed for one hundred yards or more in the Super Bowl on their birthday. Saquon Barkley's birthday, it's February ninth.
Speaker 3: No, well, but I don't know how many running.
Speaker 2: Backs have celebrated their birthday on the day of the Super Bowl. So it's a weird stat where you go, oh, my gosh, I don't know how many of those running backs you know had their birthday on Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin Van Morris, his birthday was on Super Bowl thirty. Oh look at you Blue Blue.
Speaker 6: No, No, absolutely not. Do you know what Wore's birthday was?
Speaker 7: I know?
Speaker 3: On Why are you doing stuff like that? Yes, PAULI, I don't know what's going.
Speaker 9: To be like to be a New York Giants fan watching that game on Sunday. That is brutal because you you don't want to root against Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 8: But if he wins MVP, it's double the pain.
Speaker 3: The countdown is on.
Speaker 2: Celebrate One Night, fifty years in the making, The Saturday Night Live fiftieth Anniversary special premiere Sunday, February sixteenth, on NBC and Peacock. From Saquon Barkley to Charles Barkley, no relation that I know of. Turn your sports inside the NBA, and you're not related to Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 6: Are you.
Speaker 14: Claiming? And I don't care if we are or not. I don't think we are, but I'm playing them. I'm claiming. Ay, I've been claiming them all year. He's my cousin. I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 3: Did you play football in high school?
Speaker 11: I played one day.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 14: I realized they were really hitting people out there, you know, Dad, That's the reason football is my favorite sport. It takes trendous courage to go out there. You know, football and boxing and my two favorite sports. I played football for one day. I realized they were they're tougher than me, and I quit.
Speaker 3: And you're not much of a boxer either.
Speaker 11: I can fight a little bit. I can hold my own.
Speaker 14: The good thing about fighting boxing is different box boxing. Y'all got gloves on, trying to hit each other, fighting whatever you can get your hands on to hit somebody, that's what goes. That's a big difference, Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, also, when you fought in the NBA, somebody was usually gonna grab you, so it didn't escalate too much.
Speaker 3: Further, Well, first of.
Speaker 14: All, if you're out there fight any way, you're punk. You know, Kevin McHale, the best player I ever played against, always said, he said the thing I know, he says, I never worried about the pistols. He says, they're out there beating up people. At some point, you got to play basketball, and only two of the guys can play, Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars, and we were gonna win eventually.
Speaker 6: He said.
Speaker 14: The rest of those guys out there just beating up people, he said, but it's chief a charge. At some point we realized they had to play basketball, and only two guys they had. We were worried about Isaiah and Joe Thomas Dumars.
Speaker 11: My bad.
Speaker 3: All right, who you betting on Super Bowl Sunday?
Speaker 14: My Philadelphia Eagles. Then I'm a big Eagles fan. We're putting the end of this renal terror in Kansas City. You know what's really crazy. I love Pat Mahons and Travis Kelsey, but I bet against them every game in the last two years because I actually thought they.
Speaker 11: Were going to lose.
Speaker 14: The only game I actually won in the last two years is when, for some reason and de Reed ran out of the end zone and I covered with the safety by half a point.
Speaker 11: I have lost.
Speaker 14: I think it's I think it's six straight games. I bet against the Chiefs. I thought they would lose. You know, two years ago the law of times, they're gonna lose at Buffalo. Then I thought they would lose to the Ravens. Then I had San Francisco in the Super Bowl. I didn't think they were going to lose to the Texans, but I thought the Texans would cover. Then I had the Bills. I'm rooting for the Bills and they didn't. But hey, I haven't learned my lesson I'm taking and it's just ironic. I'm really an Eagle fan. But the rain of terror is over Sunday night.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just give your money to charity and not bet on the game.
Speaker 14: I'm an be at a casino. Why would I go to a casino and not bet on the game.
Speaker 3: I know, but you tend to lose a lot.
Speaker 4: I got a lot.
Speaker 2: And this doesn't even incorporate your new deal that you're gonna have with your TV partner, your next one.
Speaker 14: Hey, listen, I'm trying to figure out all that stuff out Dan, it's been very fascinated behind the scenes. There's been a lot of shit, canay going on behind the scenes that I haven't been happy with, and I'm hoping everything works out, but I'm it's been fascinating to dealing with all the tntbs this entire time.
Speaker 3: Okay, why haven't you reached down to me privately?
Speaker 14: Well, Dan, I'm just trying to figure out. Like I say, I don't have to make a decision asap.
Speaker 3: But I can help you.
Speaker 2: I've been at a couple of places that you're probably negotiating with if you had questions, so I would give you honest answers.
Speaker 3: I've done that for other athletes.
Speaker 14: Yeah, my listen, my it was really fascinating people talking about money and all this other stuff. I dude, I ain't worried about no money. My decision was gonna come down strictly to one thing. My workload. I've been to TNT for twenty five years. Then I'm really good at working one day a week. I am great at.
Speaker 11: It, you know.
Speaker 14: So you know, I was like, yo, man, I'm not going work. I'm gonna be older. I'll be six to two in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to work more as I get older. That was my only concern. And NBC was great, you know, Mark Lass and Greg Hughes were great to me, but I turned their offer down because they had too much stuff in there for me to do. And then I counseled all the stuff all the other means with Amazon. They were greeted at Amazon, but after meeting with ESPN, they made me feel better. But I just want to get between TNT and ESPN. I said, I just want to figure out which my workload. They haven't given me in a definitive answer, because I don't think they know their definitive answer, to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: So you could stay at TNT.
Speaker 11: I could.
Speaker 14: I could always have stayed at TNT, but I put in my contract I could get out of there if they lost the NBA. You know, it was really funny the TNT people, they're stupid. They tried to say to me that I was. They wrote a c said dessist letter to Amazon and NBC, and it really pissed me off because wait a minute, but they're trying to say that they traded my show to esp and that's the same as them keeping it I'm like, I don't think that's the way it works. That's what they We were having some heated discussions behind scenes down in Atlanta.
Speaker 11: I was like, wait a minute, Yeah.
Speaker 14: They sent a C centerss letter to NBC and Amazon saying I wasn't available. I said, that's not the way my contract reads. Y'all lost the NBA. If I wanted to leave, I could leave. That was the ball of contention. I says, They're like, no, you on the contract. I said, well, I'll take my chances in court. And I felt really good about my chances in court because, regardless of what they say, Dan, them trading us to ESP and ain't the same as us being on the contract to T and T.
Speaker 2: It's Charles Barkley, Hall of Famer, Turner Sports for the moment inside the NBA analyst who won the Luca ad trade.
Speaker 3: Right now, let's look at it as of today.
Speaker 14: Oh, the Dallas Mavericks the contender right away.
Speaker 11: They got a really good team.
Speaker 14: People forgetting about Max Christian Mats Christy gonna help the MAVs.
Speaker 11: But listen, Ad was a d You know, he's played.
Speaker 14: Great the last couple of years, and if he plays like he's played to Guay was just coming off a forty twenty game and.
Speaker 11: If he plays like that.
Speaker 14: Because what's interesting about the NBA, Dan, I'm not sure who the favorite is right now.
Speaker 11: We can say, okay, see they're.
Speaker 14: The favorite in the West, but the MAVs are the second best team in the West right this day. And I'm not sure what's going on with the Celtics. So, man, we can talk all the noise we want to. The championship is up for grabs right now. The Celtics have not looked good all year in my opinion, But in the West, OKC is the prohibit the favorite. But man, they've never been in the fire before day and that's the favorite going in so that's gonna be a shock to their system with everybody gunning for him. But right now, the MAVs one is for the next two or three years.
Speaker 11: The mav won the trade.
Speaker 2: Now that Lebron has Luca, Lebron more likely to stay an extra year or two or maybe leave or retired.
Speaker 14: You know, that's a fascinating question, like is he what is he hanging around for? I personally think if I was him, the Lakers are not contenders right now. I would wave my note trade I do with Tom Brady and go put myself in a perfect situation where I can have two more bites of the apple like and I don't know the perfect situation. But he's he's holding all the cards. He can go to the lager and say, hey, let's have our cake and eat it too.
Speaker 11: I can get you.
Speaker 14: All a couple of players, maybe a couple of dress picks. Let's pick out a perfect scenario. That's what Tom Brady did, took the perfect situation in Tampa. If I'm Lebron, like I say, we're not gonna win the championship this year or next year, let's trade to a perfect scenario.
Speaker 11: But they could, like I say, the.
Speaker 14: Only problem they got right now they got to make a decision about Thursday at four o'clock. But you know that's a lot of time in NBA years. That's what I was I would do if I was him.
Speaker 2: When you hear the criticism or critiques of Luca's you know, physical shape, how do you react to them?
Speaker 14: Well, Dan, if everybody's saying it, it's probably fair. You know everybody's been I find it fascinating that all of us have been talking about Luca's conditioning for three years now, all of a sudden, it's an insult.
Speaker 11: Like I don't think people were hiding it.
Speaker 14: I think everybody's heard the same criticism for three years now. All of a sudden, I saw its dad like they're saying these things about my son. I'm like, well, mister dunchik and fairness, I watched TV. I got a TV. They've been saying the same thing for three years. They're not saying it like out of the blue, but I will say this, he's a great, great player. But then the Dallas Maverige know him better than anybody. I know he's a great player from a distance. But the Dallas Mavericks had to make a decision do we get this guy five years through hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 11: I give them credit. They made a decision.
Speaker 14: It might come back to bite them in the ass, but that's your job.
Speaker 11: Hey.
Speaker 14: Listen, a year ago, we were all pat Niko on the back because he went out and got gafferd PJ and all these other guys and got the Mayor to the finals. Everybody act like it was only Luca and Kyrie that got them to the finals. No, Nico did a tremendous job last year. He made like three or four trades that got the Mails to the finals. If they just had to had Luke and Kyrie, they wouldn't have made it to the.
Speaker 11: Finals last year.
Speaker 14: But they picked up three pieces during the during the trade deadline and made them a contender to get to the finals. But like I say, hey, that's the job man Nico, and I gave him credit.
Speaker 11: He went out there and answered all the questions.
Speaker 14: He didn't run, he didn't hide a lot of times that these general managers make bad trades.
Speaker 11: They put out statement and things like that.
Speaker 14: I give Nico credit. He sit down, he took all the questions. Now I will say this, this is a job trade. This is this is a job trade. If the trade doesn't work, you're gonna lose your job. There's shit, there's there's a that's very there's very few jobs in sports as a general manager or president whoever running things that I call them trade jobs. If the trade doesn't work, you're gonna lose your job. Playing and simple, and it shouldn't be like that because I've been saying for years I think the easiest job and the best job in the NBA is running the NBA team because you get to blame three coaches before people realize you're the problem. Because think about that, Dan, very few coaches maybe Popovich.
Speaker 11: There's only how many coaches actually have.
Speaker 14: Power to make great Papa Vison is probably the last guy who gets complete power of an NBA team. But the rest of these general manager they get to fire like they get to make ten bad deals and fire three coaches and then people says, well, what's the consistent thing here the general manager? So hey, but that goes with the job.
Speaker 3: Brother, would what Jimmy Butler as a teammate.
Speaker 14: I would want Jimmy Butler as a teammate. I think it's a hell of a teammate. But I think Jimmy is misguided because you know, Dan, I've said this before. I'm not just saying for some reason, these players think you They owed you a lifetime contract. Dude, we paid you fifty million dollars last year, this year and next year, and you're gonna be older and you're starting and you're there decline anyway, and I see foods on TV time. But Jimmy Butler's right, Jimmy Butler is one hundred percent wrong. They don't you think I don't want to still be playing for the Sixers of the Sons. They like, you get old and they're not gonna pay you. They paid you very Listen. I love Klay Thompson. I love Klay Thompson. He won fourth championship with the Warriors. The Warriors made a business decision, Clay, you're getting older. You had an achilles, you had an acl We're not going to pay you. I had No that's business man, it's nothing personal.
Speaker 3: Where are you gonna be watching the Super Bowl?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 14: I take the same twelve guys to Vegas for twenty this'll be our twenty.
Speaker 11: Eighth straight year.
Speaker 14: We play golf all day Saturday, we get up Sunday morning, play golf, then we go to the casino with ten thousand people, basically and washing the Super Bowl in Vegas.
Speaker 11: I've done it.
Speaker 14: I take the same twelve to fifteen guys every year. It's like it's on the highlights of my year.
Speaker 3: But do you pick up the tab for these freeloaders?
Speaker 14: Well, I got to see how the gambling goes. Because you know how to Vegas works. You get everything free until you total up at the end of the weekend. Hey, all I have to do is provide the private jet, which that comes with the casino, and all the rooms are free, all the drinks and stuff are free until Monday morning when you're checking out. It depends on how the table's been to you.
Speaker 2: So you're paying for the private jet with you lose no trip. That's why they send the private jet because the previous trips when you've lost, you don't lose.
Speaker 11: All the time, Dan, Sometimes you win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they send the private jet because they know you're probably they.
Speaker 11: Send the private jet. They send the private jet.
Speaker 3: To get you there because they know what happens when you get there.
Speaker 14: Then you win, sometimes you can't. You know, first of all, I hate when people say, hey, you go.
Speaker 11: One thing I know about gambling. You're gonna win.
Speaker 14: Sometimes you're gonna lose. Sometimes that's what gambling is. It's not like I know they send a private jet for a reason. Their job is to get me there. But you know, when I win, the jet is free and all my friends we have a great weekend. All the meals are free. But when I lose, like I've had, I've had my friends joke with me like they're like, man, and those steaks and those rooms and they wasn't worth a million dollars. But hey sometime, hey sometimes.
Speaker 11: Hey, but that's the deal man, I know when you.
Speaker 14: Go to the Yeah, hey hey, I've been there twenty eight straight years after this year, so I'm still I'm all right.
Speaker 2: Have fun, have fun this weekend. Good to talk to you, all right, brother, go birds. That's Charles Barkley. All right, Brady Quinn will join us. We'll talk some football with him. We'll take a break, we'll come back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: All of our studio guests receive a fantastic gift bag items from son Nos, Tregger, Panini, King, Sawaian Rapid Radios. If you're watching on Peacock, we just showed pretty much an introductory instructional video as the Danis are going to play pickleball after the show, and it's front rowe acro which means Todd and Seatan versus Marvin and Pauli. And they banged it around a little bit yesterday we have uniforms for you guys to wear. You got special Miller Lites, Sketchers pickleball shoes, so you guys are ready to go solid arch support in those. By the way, we do have we have odds that the back room guys came up with of like, you know, first injury, who's gonna probably hit it into the net most often? So we'll have those prompt bits available online if you would like to bet.
Speaker 9: Yes, Paul, I haven't seen the uniforms yet. Are they like the movie Dodgeball? Average Joe so silky red and silver whatever?
Speaker 2: Seatan went out and got him yesterday? So I do you trust Seatans always comedically?
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, I'm not disappointed that.
Speaker 2: It's content sprits to be wearing a half shirt. By the way, Marvin had this for me. He said, Hey, have you heard Klay Thompson the Mavericks card talk about when Kobe came out to see Luca. This is when Clay knew that Luca was real. And Klay Thompson had this to say about that moment.
Speaker 15: That's actually funny because that's the first thing I told Luca when we met.
Speaker 11: I was like, man, I knew you.
Speaker 15: Were going to be special because he brought Kobe out of the house to go watch and play. And Kobe doesn't just give that love to those who don't earn it. So that's a cool moment.
Speaker 2: And it is when you think about it, Kobe leaving his house to go out and watch Luca play like that was the ultimate compliment. And now Luca a Laker, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 4: Because he sure wasn't watching the Lakers at that point.
Speaker 2: Okay Bloop. Our next guest played quarterback for Notre Dame. He played quarterback in the NFL. We hung out with him in Dublin a few years back, and he was the best looking guy in the country. Here's Brady Quinn, very crisp handshake there. We were just talking about this that like DAP Like I'm I'm a DAP guy. I don't need a handshake, you know. Do you think the commissioner had a tutorial prior to his first draft to understand how to shake hands with draft picks.
Speaker 16: So I actually was Roger Goodell's first draft, So I can go back and recount the fact that being how long I was in the green room, and I think his excitement to get me and my family out of his green room.
Speaker 4: Probably was part of the reason why we like hugged, but it was more.
Speaker 16: Than adapt But I really I don't think anyone gave a toutoral. I think he just got it in him.
Speaker 3: But he gets a little too into it.
Speaker 16: Well, it's a big moment for a lot of people there, you know, again, for our family and for me. I mean, it was a long time building up to that moment. But I got drafted by the team that I root before growing up, and all that Chipotte that we had ordered during that five and a half hour stint or whatever it was, was magically whisked out of his green room.
Speaker 2: Okay, but when you're sitting there, if a draft, a guy who's going to be drafted in the first round says, I want to bring my girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what would you say as the commissioner?
Speaker 11: Or no?
Speaker 3: You from experience?
Speaker 16: Oh, I mean again, we all knew what we signed up for, whether it was my girlfriend or my parents and everyone else. I think what I would do is I would ask them, does that individual believe their girlfriends strong enough or their family strong enough to be able to handle the camera, the pressure, lights, everything else, Because up until that moment, really they have only experienced things through you.
Speaker 4: They haven't been there right with you in the spotlight.
Speaker 16: And I think that's one of the things that I wasn't really thinking about. When you're thinking about going to the NFL Draft, you're just thinking about like your dream coming true and getting to play in the NFL, and you're not thinking you're going to be sitting there for five and a half hours or whatever it was. And you're not also not thinking about how your family's going to handle that pressure. I mean, you're prepared for it. You've handled a lot of other things your life up to that point, but that's a very different set of circumstances for your family to deal with.
Speaker 2: And trying to figure out who's telling you the truth. Yeah, during the draft process, well, and.
Speaker 16: That was part of my reaction, I think to a number of the picks based on what I was told. You know, we were told something that by Phil Savage that was completely truthful. He's like, hey, if you enjoy there at number three, like we're going to take Joe Thomas, and my agent, Tom conn at the time told.
Speaker 4: Me the night before he goes. I've never had a general manager tell me that before draft.
Speaker 6: He goes.
Speaker 4: Most times they say things like that as a smoke screen, he goes. In this case, they were truthful.
Speaker 16: And so when that pick came through, I already had an idea in my head, and to Phil's credit, Phil said that because he knew how much it meant to me to be drafted by the Browns, and so I was kind of prepared for it. But some of the other picks I had an idea, but the Miami one was that was the most surprising. So that was probably more why I would reacted in the way I did, because I was really curious to see who they're going to go with instead.
Speaker 3: What happened with Miami.
Speaker 16: They had sent again this is coming from what I had heard from Charlie Weisse. You have to ask him, but they had sent him a package and all the stuff that supposedly said, we know you haven't been a big fan in the past, given that they were division rivals, but hope you will after the draft the next day, which I don't think he was a fan at all after what happened the next day. So yeah, that was that led us to believe that I was going to be Miami. Terry Sha, their quarterbacks coach. He had actually been with me in Arizona training and preparing for my pro day for the draft and all of that. He left to go take the quarterback coach job. So I'm thinking like, okay, like if he has any say like he'll he's seen my work ethic, you see me, Like he'll be on my side on all this. And they decided to go in a different direction. And that was you know, in the end, you know, I think they were one and fifteen or whatever that season, but it.
Speaker 4: Was what it was.
Speaker 3: Take that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 16: I meant to mention this before I come on because it's Super Bowl week. You know, I just came from Radio row and you know how this goes, I'm gonna thank Travis Matthews because I'm a here on behalf of Trap Masts. They've outfitted me Nike Delta who brought me here Uber every do you never notice that? I feel like every interview they're like it's like they're like a walking NASCAR and everyone's selling something to you. Yes, or it's a cause they're like a save the whales, Like can we make sure that we may draw awareness to saving whales?
Speaker 2: How would you we're talking to Brady Quinn. He's for sale, by the way.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 16: I've got a couple spots here, patches. I don't like to cover the Travis Matthews stuff, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Part of Big Newton Kickoff and a host of two pros and a cup of Joe the radio show that pre seeds hours on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: Len.
Speaker 2: A quarterback has less attempts like Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert. We've seen quarterbacks who were you know, paid a lot of money, but I don't know how you process that. Like Justin Herbert was able to throw the ball prior to Jim Harball getting there and they got to the playoffs, right, Jalen Hurts is in a Super Bowl, sa Quon comes in. He's really the focal point of the offense. You know, in this past happy league, is it still a pass happy league?
Speaker 16: I think it is, although I think you know, the league's always going to go through its ebbs and flows and adjusting. And I think one of the things that you've seen a lot of defensive coordinators do is like the in vogue defensive covers, like the shell coverage. You hear about this all the time, and reason why is because you're essentially playing with a lighter box. You're almost enticing or forcing teams to see if they'll run the football, right. I mean, we look at the salary cap, we look how the roster now the money's allocator are spent, and oftentimes it hasn't been on the running back position. And it's important because the game has become so much more of a passing game. And don't get me wrong, it is and always will be because of the rules, the protections quarterbacks are given receivers for that matter too. But I think you're seeing a swing at least in the momentum of saying like you got to be more balanced, and in part because your best player might be the guy who's behind the quarterback in Saquon Barkley, or it could be Dereck Henry. In that case, the more had an unbelievable season. I think Derek Henry helped out a little bit too. But by and large, I think you're starting to see that too many defenses are trying to adjust to this game now where there's so many big plays, there's so many things that are happening in the passing game that they're trying to keep it all in front of them, trying to disguise what they're doing pre snap, make it muddy for the quarterback.
Speaker 4: When you drop back, you're saying, is that quarters is a quarter quarter half?
Speaker 16: What variation are they doing a lot of times they can do a nice little disguise and how they play a match zone or even man out of it. So there's so many things that happened post snap. It's making it harder on the quarterback. And so again it goes back to what are you Your ultimate task is trying to win? And if that's the case, how can you figure out a way of getting that quarterback to make mistakes turnovers and.
Speaker 4: Get them off the field.
Speaker 16: And oftentimes it's a lot of what these defenses are doing so undoing that now offenses have to realize they've got to adjust. You got to start working the ball to Oftentimes, with the best players out there.
Speaker 3: Can Jalen Hurts win in a shootout against Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I mean the last time these two teams played, I thought he was arguably the best player in the field. You know, that was kind of his coming to age moment where we all want wow, I mean, he might have been the best player out there, But.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we believe that that's who he truly is. He did have an unbelievable game.
Speaker 16: You have to understand, I've watched this young man all his time in Bama, then to Oklahoma, then to the NFL, and he's like machine learning man, Like the more.
Speaker 4: Reps he gets, the better he gets, the better he gets.
Speaker 16: I think sometimes we take for granted that they've been going through some staff changes too in regards to that, you know, the play caller, that's a relationship that it takes time to iron out that the personality of your play caller, the chemistry that you have with that play caller, and how they're going to react.
Speaker 4: To when you make a mistake.
Speaker 2: But why say he took he took the straight jacket off of me talking about his coach. If if you're the best reason, or you know, you play like that, we can win, why would the you know, the perception be the coach has a straight jacket or Jalen Hurts thinks there's a straight jacket on him from his coach.
Speaker 4: Look, he may have said that for a number of reasons.
Speaker 16: It could be like maybe they're protecting him for injury related related issues. It could be, you know, they don't want to show too many things if they feel like they can win with doing less. And obviously that doesn't happen to the playoffs very often, but in the regular season at times, you'll try to hide some stuff sometimes if you can.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's just a weird comment.
Speaker 16: Well, there's been a lot of weird helmets that have come out for the Philadelphia Eagles this year. I mean, you had guys reading books on the sidelines, Yeah, or at least looking at a book.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much you can read.
Speaker 16: You don't get a ton of time sometimes in between series and talking to your teammates and your coach.
Speaker 6: But at least A. J.
Speaker 16: Brown had had a book that apparently the book sales are doing great, they're skyrocketing.
Speaker 2: Let's say your quarterback, you know you're watching a movie. Yeah, you know, you're not watching plays, You're not you know, you're just watching a movie. But it's a movie that really gets you, you know, in the in a moment, and I you know like, uh, whatever taken Shaw Shank redemn sh he.
Speaker 4: Can take a the movie he likes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because yes, yes.
Speaker 5: Really Todd give give your le I will hunt you down, I will find you, and I will hear you.
Speaker 4: That was actually kind of scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. You could be the voice.
Speaker 4: Though not like not seeing you say.
Speaker 2: But what would happen if you were watching a movie on the sidelines as opposed to reading a book?
Speaker 4: I think we were.
Speaker 16: I mean, first off, it's wild because I've never seen a player read a book in sidelines before. Again, for a lot of different reasons, I've always wondered, like, have we got to the point where we allow players like listen to music or something to help a little bit too. I mean, you see guys doing pregame all the time to help them kind of get in that mindset, Like maybe that's more of a softer way of your visually not necessarily distracted by a book.
Speaker 2: Or would you have a problem if your teammates reading a book on the sidelines.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I don't think that'd be a good thing. I'd probably go talk to him and say, hey, man, what's up. If it's if it's part of his routine, then you got to let some guys do what they do. I mean that that's there's a lot of guys who I've seen during my time when I played, who had some interesting routines and give me.
Speaker 4: Weirdest.
Speaker 3: You don't have to do a name.
Speaker 16: I yeah, there was there's one player who like he used to do this tapping sequence to get his like mind right, but literally would tap different spots his head and supposing that helped him like lock in.
Speaker 4: You know, everyone's got their different thing and the guys throw up.
Speaker 16: Yeah, there's there's a little bit of that. But that then never stroke struck me as odd. You know, I understand the anxiousness or the nerves or excitement, and then sometimes you get like a bad play deposter or something at the Marriott Hotel where you're staying at.
Speaker 4: Shout out to marry out by the way too.
Speaker 3: For.
Speaker 4: We're promoting everyone here this week.
Speaker 2: If didn't win the m v P this year, I can't see a year where running back.
Speaker 4: Back if you well, you have to have a historical season right.
Speaker 3: Only if he broke the record.
Speaker 16: I would actually make more of an argument for like, why are we anointing the m v P before the season finale? And the only reason I bring that up, and I know every is gonna.
Speaker 4: Make the case. Well, you know, hey, this has always been a regular season award. I get that.
Speaker 16: But the truth is is we most often times awarded to teams were in the playoff hunt. It's the best teams are. Like we looked at Joe Burrow this year. Joe Burrow statistically should have been a lot more talked about in regards to the MVP race. He had a phenomenal season. He was carrying that team. Defensively, they struggled, obviously they've moved on from lou and yet it was like, well, they're not a playoff team, so we can't get him the award. It's like, well, all right, well what are you doing here? I don't always wait till the end of the season, see who wins the super Bowl and say like that was the best player. Then sa Quon Barkley if they end up winning and he's on that team.
Speaker 2: Well, how many MVPs do you think would have gone to different people if we used that concept?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'd have to go back and look through.
Speaker 16: I mean, I guess the easier question prior to research is how many went to players that didn't make the playoffs?
Speaker 4: Is there a handful of guys?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 4: Boy?
Speaker 2: Not in the modern era, and I don't think, but I remember when Andre Dawson won the MVP for the Cubs.
Speaker 3: They finished last.
Speaker 4: They baseball did it right.
Speaker 2: They could have finished last without him. So it's not like wow, there's.
Speaker 4: An element to like, how much did he help his team? Excep And I get that. Yeah, but doesn't that make an argument for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 9: I have two MVPs and NFL history, that's not qualify for the playoffs. Now, it's a long time ago and there were fewer playoff teams. Who wants a shot at this? Really old school? Before nineteen seventy five, running back one running back, one quarterback, you were a fan of both of them, Dan.
Speaker 3: Yes, mar oh J.
Speaker 4: Simpsons, Oh J.
Speaker 8: Simpsons. I was going to say, oh, nineteen.
Speaker 9: Seventy three, but he broke the record without making the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Okay wow? And then quarterback.
Speaker 8: Johnny United nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 3: Okay, dang yeah.
Speaker 2: But back then you had two teams that made the playoff or again made the playoffs and they played each other in the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, yeah, or there'd be like the NFL and the AFL, you know, back then.
Speaker 16: But I think you get my point, you know, when we're looking at at how we're going about qualifying, like what is the MVP, it's like and and honestly, this conversation kind of was drawn up by Cam and talking about like would you trade your MVP for a Super Bowl? And his response was probably surprising the most. I mean, that's his perspective, that's how he feels. But it led me to think, well, all right, let's just look again how we're determining who the MVP of the league is.
Speaker 4: Should we wait and make it after the season's all?
Speaker 2: So he could have lost that Super Bowl the way he played, or lost the MVP by the way he played in the Super.
Speaker 4: Bowl potentially, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Richie Gannon was an MVP and he that.
Speaker 2: Was the year they lost to right or No, was it Tampa when he was MVP Mark when they Tampa? Yep, so he might have lost it there as well. Yeah, how's the shoulder by the way.
Speaker 16: Well, I was gonna say, my attorney will be reaching out at some point. I know this is a few years better. Are you still He's probably tried to say there's a statue of limitation, but I don't think so.
Speaker 4: We've got a we've got a workman's copy issue that's going on here.
Speaker 3: Did you hurt your shoulder throwing the ball in Arizona?
Speaker 16: I cannot confirm that. My attorney's told to not say anything on the on the show. So you're soft at least.
Speaker 8: I mean, isn't that all the sudden the sponsor?
Speaker 3: Isn't that bad? Just get a free grill?
Speaker 4: You know, you gotta put pressure on people.
Speaker 16: Gotta leverage things, right, okay, or tariff's gonna put tariffs on you to get.
Speaker 3: If you can carry the tragger grill, then I'll get you.
Speaker 4: Where is it?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll have to get it for you.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, how's I guess I have one over here?
Speaker 3: We out tomorrow? Well okay, then you that Wednesday and Thursday?
Speaker 4: I mean, Fritzy, you invite me on a day you have any grilling going on? Yeah, it's kind of week.
Speaker 5: I think it's later in the week the Tragger grip.
Speaker 3: Thanks really appreciate your Kingsawan on front there you go by way.
Speaker 4: Thank you to kings Hawaiian.
Speaker 2: Also thanks for stopping by. He's Brady Quinn Fox. Uh big noon kickoff? I always call it high noon kickoff. Why didn't you do high Noon and then get the sponsorship with high Noon beverages.
Speaker 4: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Two pros and a cup of Joe. We'll be back after this, like the.
Speaker 4: Eric Shanks about it. You know, Shanks, you, I'll tell you