Speaker 1: And the savannahs this morning struggling to find consensus.
Speaker 2: It's not just that we don't know what the destination is, we don't know what the journey is. Also there's disagreement as how quickly will FED official go from backward looking data dependents to forward leaning. So we have these disagreement both within the FMC and also between the market and what seems to be the consensus if there is one under FED. So this is for me, it's a fascinating time, but it is also a very confusing time.
Speaker 1: I think most of us are confused. So here's the latest investors bracing for the Fed's first interest rate count in more than four years and looking for answers to a lot of big questions. Tolson's lack of apollo, saying, despite surveys showing that the consensus expecting a soft landing rates, markets are pricing in a full blown recession the Feds. Our style model says that neutral monetary policy would mean a FED funds rate at three percent, but maybe this estimate is wrong. Tilston joins us now for more toasting. Good morning to you, sir. We've got a lot to work through. When they sit around on the Committee, and they continue the conversation today if it doesn't need to continue, and they ask themselves what's the biggest risk care upside risk to inflation or downside risk to growth? What else do you think they come up with.
Speaker 3: I think that they would look at the dual mandate and it is absolutely correct that inflation was nine point one and the summer of twenty twenty two and now it's two point five. So we've come a long long way when it comes to inflation. But the other side of the dual mandate eavenly full employment. Yes, the unemployer rate has gone up a bit, but literally all other economic activity indicators, really indicators for everything across GDP, as you saw yesterday, industrial production, retail sales remain quite strong. So now you begin to sit and look at the real side of the economy and say, should I put a lot of weight on the unemployer rate going up a bit because of largely because of labels apply or should I put more weight on all the other real economy indicators are actually still in relatively good shape. So I think that they would do it from the perspective of saying, what's the dual mandate, saying and where are we on the various indicators on the side of the door.
Speaker 1: So do you take issue today with the decision of reducing interest rates or take issue with the conversation about them returning back to three percent quickly?
Speaker 3: So I do think that it is the returning back to three percent that's problematic because the three percent number there are star number or the terminal estimate that they have put out in the dot plot that they now literally have on the New York Fed homepage that our style where we're going is three percent. That turns out to be wrong because if this were the case, Markesterry policy would be much more restrictive. And the incoming data, when you look at it Atlanta FEDGDP now at three percent yesterday, that's not restrictive. If you look at what happens to industrial production yesterday, that's not restrictive either. If you look across the board on a wide range of indicators, it doesn't look like Marnins Terry policy is particularly restrictive. Most importantly in credit and in private credit. You're seeing that loan default rates are going down. If we had a recession, defall rates would not be going down.
Speaker 1: There would be going up.
Speaker 3: Even if we had a slow down, it would be the same show. Given this vast majority of indicators, when you look out of the windows still telling you that things are actually still okay, then it is problematic to sit there with high conviction and saying that Marnsterry Poles is very restrictive.
Speaker 4: We're in a Kumbayah kind of mood. We're trying to find consensus. And one thing that strikes me about what you said is it doesn't sort of really reduce the need for a fifty basis point rate cut today. You're just saying longer term, maybe they should push back against some of the expectations for two hundred basis points of reduction quickly like that, to get down to that level that is closer to what may be neutral.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Well, if a style where we're going the term will fitfunds rate, if we think that's three but it actually is more like four four and a half, then you're not in a rush to cut fifty. Then you could just take twenty five and say, if we need to get to four and a half, that's just seventy five hundred basis points lower than where we are, So there's no need to hurry to lower interest rates. If you have that, we don't need to get quickly down to three, but we just need to get to four and a half. So it does become quite important whether it's twenty five or fifty, because it signals whether we are in a hurry to do something or whether we still have time to look at the incoming data that still continues to be strong.
Speaker 1: What in the en.
Speaker 4: Humming data makes you concerned about a reacceleration of inflation, which would be the other side of the mandate that could potentially be negative if the federal to cut overlay aggressive.
Speaker 3: Well, one obvious area is of course housing. Given housing has a weight of thirty five percent in the CPI basket, now you see the NHB has begun to increase. Of course, if you lower Morgus raised dramatically, as we've seen here over the last three four weeks, that will also give a boost to housing. We're seeing some of the housing indicators show signs of turning around, and with an already low supply of houses and therefore inventory being very very low by historical standards, you could have that housing inflation at least if you take the chart of case Shiller and that with Oeer, it does look like we could get a rebound over the next several months in the housing components of the.
Speaker 5: CPI if the Fed comes out and cuts twenty five basis points, but Powell has very dubvish language. Will that be to the markets almost equal to a fifty bas point cut?
Speaker 3: Well, I do think that exactly the communication around what they do today, So I think that they will go twenty five, But if they do go fifty, how they talk about this will be extremely important. So that's why the dot plot coming along today with the statement is very very critical for rates expectations. Markets are obviously pricing ten cuts through this cycle, which is basically based on the idea that we got to get down to neutral. We got to get down to neutral and three percent as quickly as possible. But if the dot plot certainly now tells you will maybe you're not getting ten cuts, maybe we're getting only six seven cuts. Then of course that will also mean that Marcus will look at that and say, well, maybe we are overpricing this and maybe we are to hooked on. Excuse me, the model in the FEDS basement, name me our star. Rather than going up into the living room and looking at the incoming data.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you a quick question on fiscal viewers. Government every day pays out billions. When we pay out our interest three billion. With the FED cutting, how much less money is the government actually need to pay on our interest.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we calculated that if the Fed cuts one percent is point the interest payments on a daily basis with decline from three billion to two and a half billion. But that's still a very very significant number of reads it to where we've been historically. So you're absolutely right. Knowing interest rates helps in terms of dead servicing costs. But in the background, we of course still have dead levels continuing to rise and that's of course creating challenges for the fiscal situation. Maybe in the near term it will be a little bit of relief, but down the road this problem is of course not going away.
Speaker 1: And we suggesting John Williams is in the basement, Well, I'm.
Speaker 3: Just saying that the focus here on what it is that is the narrative. Also, if you think carefully about what is the easy be saying, what is the Bank of England saying they're not framing their decisions for marninterry policy. According to some excuse me, academic healmen Field for what's happening with our Star, They're framing their debate as what is the incoming data doing? So in that sense, I love us Star, and I think everything that goes into it, and trust me, I have I spent a lot of time thinking about and I have a psd in economics. It is a very interesting thing to spend time on. But I'm just telling you that if you think about the incoming data then putting it up on the scale, maybe the incoming data should get a bit more weight.
Speaker 1: Get out of the basement and get in the living room and looking at the window.
Speaker 4: Nobody quins Chard Williams in the basement.
Speaker 1: Is you know, there is this.
Speaker 4: Feeling that maybe we are making a little bit too much or placing too much emphasis and certain measures that are you know, fuzzy or dusty.
Speaker 1: Jim Bianco of Bianca Research made this point. There's a great divide right now, you know, going into this decision between market pricing and economists. In our survey, more than one hundred economists surveyed in our survey, not even ten percent of them think a fifty basis point cup happens today. That's how big the spread is between professional economists at the moment and market participants.
Speaker 4: How do you make a move that is outsized at a time where you're only able to see lagging indicators and the data itself is kind of contradictory. We're seeing different signals from say, the mortgage market versus say, Autoloe delinquencies.
Speaker 1: Turston, this was wonderful, be one of the best thing. We appreciate it. Thank you, sir,