Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast, Matthew.
Speaker 2: Lawrence, Brian Austin Green, My friend, how are you? Thank you so much for doing this? Please?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: So you were the first one that came to mind when this came about. I had this idea of, since Tory is not feeling great, of doing this this couple episodes for and really making it a celebration of Toy because she's so loved by the people that know her and that have spent time around her. And I know you spent so much time around her because our storylines were together, and I know that you know, we used to imber on a daily basis. I would always have people asking me, so, what's Toy like? And how is that it's the boss's daughter and all of that, And I was always so shocked, and I loved the fact that I could genuinely say to people that if you didn't know that Toy was the boss's daughter, you would never know it by being on set and being around her, because it was never it was never a card that she played, It was never anything that she flexed. Right, how was it for you coming because you came in? Was it the first season.
Speaker 3: When no, it was the beginning of the second season yep, and just real quickly I got involved. I had never seen the show. Okay, the first year I knew about it, but I had never seen it. And my agent called and said, they want to see you about possibly playing the father of one of the people on the show. I don't even think I ever told you this, and I didn't. I was doing other things. And I kind of went, I don't think so, because you remember the first year was not that great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the show. Nobody was, nobody was watching it. We were like far from a hit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I said to my agent, I don't know, you know, he said, listen, you've never played a father before.
Speaker 2: I think, just go talk to them. It'll be good.
Speaker 3: So I went and I sat with the guys who are now some of them my friends, and we talked about it was supposed to be one episode and I said, whose father would.
Speaker 2: I be playing?
Speaker 3: And they said Brian Austin Green and I said, who I'm in? Did you really well, if you you remember this, you were how old were you when you did Circus of the Stars twelve? Okay that's when we met. Yeah, we rehearsed that summer. I walked the high wire. You did some easy thing where they flipped you in the air.
Speaker 2: Don't say easy, are you crazy? I did a teterboard my friend that I had to wear pink tights. Okay, yes, okay, well like sparkles on them. So let's that's even the playing field a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'll show you the picture of my costume. Forget about the big tights.
Speaker 2: And bad as mine, but okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I was being sarcastic. That thing you did was insane. Anyway, So we spent a few weeks together during rehearsals, and I loved you and I got to know your mom. It was great. So when they said your father, I was like, oh, I'm so in and you don't. You don't remember this, and I'll get to Tory in the second. You don't remember this. But my first day on the show, I walked into the makeup trailer and you were sitting in the makeup chair, and you stood up and came over and we hugged each other and it was great. And I believe you said to me, how old were you then? Like second? Seventeen seventeen? Yes, I believe you said to me. I said, how are you doing? I know you're doing great, and you said, I just closed on a house.
Speaker 2: I went, wait, what what? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Anyway, I have very vivid memories of you guys.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 4: I don't remember telling you that I closed on a house, but I remember that. I remember clearly when you came in because I someone had mentioned your name that you were coming in to play my dad, and I was excited about it because we did get along so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we were doing Circus at the Stars.
Speaker 3: Yep, here's the amazing thing you asked about. What was it like for me on the show. I had already done a lot of work, and to be around the group of you, all you guys from that point, and then going forward nine years and seeing people don't realize.
Speaker 2: What you are.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was great you were working and getting famous and making money, but people never realized. I always used to talk about it, all the things that you had to go through in dealing with all of that stuff, and nobody more so than Tory, as you said, nobody, nobody because of.
Speaker 2: Who her dad was.
Speaker 3: And now I'm going to tell you a great story about Tory Okay. I loved all of you, well almost all of you, but that's another.
Speaker 2: Story, that's another podcast.
Speaker 3: I loved most of you. Anyway. I lived in the house at that time. I shared a house, a huge house on Mulholland Drive, and the top floor of the house it was four floors. It went into the hill on Mulholland Drive by the Hollywood sign. I had the bottom two floors and a couple that owned the house had the top two floors. I had a separate entrance and it was amazing. Anyway. The deep Paul Thomas, who owned the house, was a director, and for the summer they did a house swap with a family from Scotland, from Edinburgh, Scotland, and that family came over. This was the third or fourth year, I think, so around ninety four or five. Only from Scotland came over. And the day I came up from my place and walked out to the driveway, the family had just gotten there and they had a sixteen year old daughter.
Speaker 2: I believe she was Oh boy prime. Okay.
Speaker 3: I didn't say a word, and Paul and Debbie hadn't told them anything except somebody was sharing the house with them. I walked out into the driveway and this young lady lost her mind. The first thing she said was, oh my god, Beverly Hills. That's what they called it over there. Yeah, anyway, I talked to her and over the next couple days, and finally I went upstairs and I said to her, are you busy tomorrow? And she said no, I said, you're coming to work with me. Well, she didn't sleep the whole night. She was waiting for me. At seven in the morning. The next morning, we drive to work and once again, she gets out of the car with me and we go to the makeup trailer and I went into the makeup trailer and Tory was in there. I get choked up thinking about this. Tory was in there, and I introduced her to the makeup people and to Tory, and this young girl could barely breathe that she was standing in front of Tory and I told her that she was from Scotland and they were here. And Tory finished and she stood up and she took this girl's hand and said, come with me, and they disappeared.
Speaker 2: She took her all over.
Speaker 3: All the sets. She took her into the peach pit and Joey was in there, and I forget who else she took pictures of this girl with everybody. I didn't see them for an hour. I had no idea where they were.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: Her parents told me that night it was the greatest day.
Speaker 2: Of her life.
Speaker 3: And it was all because of how I get choked up, how amazing Tory was, how wonderful and kind, and those are the things when I think of Tory, I always think of that story right away, and just being with her all the time. She was never not that way in nine years, none of you were. Tory was never, ever one time anything but loving and kind and funny and wonderful. Yeah, I just I love all of you, But Tori is really something.
Speaker 4: I let me just let me just point out that, you know, as you are giving her her well deserved flowers for that, you're the one that made that happen.
Speaker 2: So let's just like, let's just sit on that for a minute.
Speaker 4: You like, you can say, well, but the reality is that girl was at our set because you brought her there. So what an amazing story that you shared of toy, But what an amazing.
Speaker 2: Story of you.
Speaker 4: And it's one of it's honestly one of the things that I loved about our cast, and that experience was for as big as it was that story that you're telling me of Toy grabbing her hand and walking around the set and introducing her to everyone and taking pictures.
Speaker 2: That happened daily.
Speaker 4: We had people that would come to set daily and it was it started becoming a challenge for us of who from the cast was going to see this person first and give them that day and it was make a wish kids, It was friends, you know, friends of cast members or guest stars, or it was that. It was We tried to make everyone feel welcome that was there, and Tory was God. She was always at the front of that line. She was one of the ones that we would battle with to be there first.
Speaker 2: So it was a great story.
Speaker 4: It was a great story, amazing We loved working with you. I'm so glad that the job with you went from one episode to nine years because we had this amazing family and you were absolutely a part of it. And I love you, my friend, and thank you so much for coming in and sharing that about Toy. This is again like I really wanted this, this show to be this really fun look back from people that knew Tori and loved her for fans. I think I think fans should know what amazing human being you're a fan of.
Speaker 3: Well, what what as you said about me? The same goes back to you, pl because this is exactly why I love you the most, not only what you did for my friend Sarah, who's the biggest nine O two one Oh fan, Hi Sarah, Hi Sarah birthday, and that that meant more than anything in the world. I heard that you did a twenty second video. But here's the amazing thing before I go, when we think that was nineteen ninety one, ninety two, maybe was my first day on the show, So that is thirty four years ago.
Speaker 2: And here you and I are. So I'm still quick here.
Speaker 3: Oh you have no idea, But thirty four years later, you and I are looking at each other and talking about this. It is the best part of my life is the people that I worked with and loved and know and still know. And I love you more than words could say, Brian, and.
Speaker 2: I mean I love you as well. Matthew, Thank you, Okay, I'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: I love you, Tori.
Speaker 5: Darren Martin, how are you good doing?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: Where are you in the in the kitchen setup of your your nine o two one oh thing or is that your proper room.
Speaker 5: Oh this is just like the home office that's been converted into the nine o two one oh museum.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's so crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look at young me.
Speaker 2: Right behind you there over your shoe. So for people that don't know.
Speaker 4: Darren Martin, you are the nine o two one bro. You're the keeper of the code. I I think I I.
Speaker 2: Think you're the quintessential.
Speaker 4: All knowing ambassador of nine two one oh, Like you have truly not only embraced it, but you now send me photos all the time of things that you find on eBay exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm hoping the collection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, dude, check out this picture. This has never been released before. Yeah, that's it's crazy. It's crazy. So how how is it for you being on this?
Speaker 4: You were you were one of the first people that I thought of when it was like, hey, we want to do this like fun celebration of Tori. I was like, Oh, Darren's got to be gotta be on here.
Speaker 2: For for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is you. You already you were on the reboot. You flew to Vancouver and did that and now you are on Misspelling on her podcast talking to all sorts of nonsense about her. So tell me give us a little backstory on how it was that you first got into nine on two and Oh.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's funny. I actually came to love nine O two one oh through Save by the Bell.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I didn't know that, and I feel like I was cheating on a little bit.
Speaker 2: But whatever's got.
Speaker 5: I was at a book fair in grade eight. Do you remember like Scholastic book fairs? Huh yeah, and they had this book meet the cast of two and oh, and I was like, oh cool. So I was like looking.
Speaker 2: Through one of the greatest books of all time.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, totally incredible. And I was flipping through and I was like, oh wow, who's this chick? And I was like, she's pretty good looking. And then I read in the description here TV experiences appearances on Save by the Bell. I was like, what did she plan on Save by the Bell? I do not remember her character? And then I put two and two together and I was like, oh, she was Violet bicker Staff. So I was like, I'm totally going to start watching this show because I love Save by the Bell and I thought she was awesome as a Violet bicker Staff, and that's how my infatuation with two started. Save by the crazy Yeah that's so.
Speaker 2: Now why.
Speaker 4: And I've always tried to figure out in my own mind why your connection with her and Donna Martin and all that. I always assumed maybe it was because you guys shared the same last name, the same initial.
Speaker 5: So it was also a Steve Martin fan.
Speaker 2: Are you you so?
Speaker 4: I assume that you had some sort of like kindred you know, we're brother and sister in a past life kind of thing, or but maybe I'm way off, maybe way off.
Speaker 5: I think it started just because I was a big fan of hers. I don't know. Donna was always on the show. She was the approachable, friendly one that was like, I don't know, almost like she didn't care who you were or your background. She was like willing to be your friend and stuff like that. Maybe that's why I gravitated towards her. I don't know. I also like Jason Priestley, loved because he was Canadian and you obviously because you dated that because.
Speaker 2: I'm on the show with you right now to say that over your shoulder, Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: You're like Jimney Croocket right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you uh, you became a fan of the show what early on, like.
Speaker 5: A couple of years in yeah, years. In The first episode I watched was a season three episode, I believe. Okay, it was the episode where Andrea is having dreams that she's joining the circus and Gil Myers is like shaking the tight rope that she's walking on. That was the first episode I ever saw, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you went back and you rewatched the previous ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that was like I think like episode eighty something, and after you guys hit like one hundred episodes and went into syndication and then they are every day after school at three o'clock. So I caught up on the first three seasons right away, and then I was caught off the broadcast by the end of season four.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what I know, you've you've been friends now with Toy for a long time. And again, I really want this to be a celebration of Toy, Like, this is not sitting around talking about this person we knew.
Speaker 2: This is talking about a person that we know. Yes, she's she is feeling under the weather.
Speaker 4: So I've I feel like, what better way of cheering somebody up than letting them watch something of a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: Talking about how great they are?
Speaker 5: So so.
Speaker 2: How about it? This is if this was a message for Toy, you know she's going to be watching this.
Speaker 5: She's Yeah. Over the years, she's it blows my mind the amount of opportunities and things she's made happen for me. When I first met her in two thousand and nine at a book signing, I obviously had been a fan since I was like fourteen years old and drove fourteen hours to New Brunswick, Canada, to New Jersey to go to her book signing, and she was just like flaberg acid that somebody would take the time to travel that far to go meet her, and I was like super excited, and like it showed up on camera because it was being filmed by her reality show, and we didn't get the reality show in Canada, but a friend of mine in the US was like, you were just on Tori Spellen's reality show and they sent me a video of it, and I was like looking all goofy, like you just made my dreams come true. I was, and I had no idea it was even being filmed. Yeah, and yeah, so it all sat in two thousand and nine. We became friends, and that was back at the beginning stages of Twitter, okay, And so we'd like strike up a conversation on there and she'd retweet stuff like photos or like get Tori Spelling to be in this movie or something like that. She would like just like retweet me and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Were you just flabbergasted at first, like speaking to her on Twitter and having any sort of a connection with her.
Speaker 5: It's with any of you guys, really, but yes, with her, especially the beginning, like the fact that she even knew who I was. I remember the first book Sonning I went to, she didn't really know who I was. She was, you know, honored that I was like making such a big deal of her. But by the second and third book Sunning that I went to, she knew who I was and she was tweeting me on the limo or the like, in her suv on the way to the actual event and she's like, oh, I can't wait to see DM. And the fact that she knew who I was and was like as soon as she got there, she found me in line and brought me to the front of the line, and she just just an amazing woman. And one time I went to a book signing in New York City for her, and it was my birthday weekend. I think it was twenty eleven, so I would have been Wow. I would have been probably thirty two or something, and I went to New York City for my birthday and she's like, oh, I'm doing a taping of Martha's Stewart. I'm like, oh, yeah, I tried to get standby tickets but they're completely sold out, and she's like, oh, don't worry about it, I'll get you in. So I waited outside Martha Stewart's headquarters in New York City in Chelsea and she pulls up in her SUV and brings me through security. We go up to the dressing room. I get to see Martha Stewart in this big, glass, thin conference room sitting around a table, and it was just it was insane. And she was like, Oh, Darren, you're awesome. I can't I can't believe you travel this way to kind of my book signing, and thank you for supporting me and being there for me.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so that's that's really really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 4: She's a very like I watch her because we've been doing the conventions and stuff now, and she is very committed to her fans and the people that waite in line, and she is really conscious of making it a great experience for the people that are there. And it's funny, like we're both very similar that way, and they they usually put the two of us together, our tables together, because people come and they do, you know, they want pictures with David and Donna, and we always end up with these long lines because we take.
Speaker 2: Forever to get to get through people.
Speaker 4: And I look over and she's just like chatting way and she'll be dancing, she'll be doing like doing all sorts of stuff. But it's great, Like it's I always say, you know, fans will come to these conventions and they'll wait sometimes for hours in line, and even if you can only give them forty five seconds a minute and a half, make it great, like make it unbelievable experience. So people walk away and they feel like they got way more than just your autograph on something, because you can buy that on eBay.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's not you know, and it being personalized.
Speaker 4: That's not the experience that is just like the thing you can show people of like oh I was there and look they even put my name on it.
Speaker 2: Whatever. But it's the memory of the experience that lasts. And Tori is so.
Speaker 4: Aware of that, and she's so good and uh personable as far as just sitting with people and making sure that everyone has the best experience that they possibly can and not and not for the reason of.
Speaker 2: How she's perceived. Like you, you meet people like that sometimes that are just aware of.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, I'm being watched right now, so I better be really kind and you know, and nice to everyone. She is genuinely a kind, loving, considerate person and you you are very much the same way. So it's not surprising to me that you guys are friends and know each other, and it's it's been fun for me because I came into this convention game late, as you know, but it's been fun getting to know you and seeing how this all works and realizing just how much of a player you are within the history of this show now. And I know that's crazy to hear because you started just as a fan of it, and I get it. Fan of Star Wars, Like, we have this conversation all the time. You're always like, dude, if you know, if Luke Skywalker invited you over to do is how, you'd be out of your mind.
Speaker 5: You'd be yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But it's amazing to see now because I am in this from a different perspective. You know, we're not on set making this show anymore.
Speaker 2: The show.
Speaker 4: It's now twenty five years after the fact, and we're still talking about it and we're still sharing these stories. So it's really cool to see how you have come up within this world and now you are a major part of this world as well, not just with your room of stuff.
Speaker 5: You know, that's right, it does it. I pinch myself and people anytime there's anything non out who related in the news or like somebody's in a movie or something, I get like three or four text from different people friends of mine. They're like, oh, this is on. I'm like, yeah, I'm totally aware that this.
Speaker 2: Is a totally yeah. Have you talked to anyone I did?
Speaker 4: I actually talked to Brian last night. He was yeah, yeah, that's that's got to be a trip.
Speaker 5: That's really it's a trip. It's I don't even have to. Like, I know, I keep using the words surreal, but my brain can't use I can't think of any other word that adequately describes how far out it is. Like if fourteen year old me would have known back then, when the show was in its heyday, that I would actually know you guys and be friends with you guys and just communicate with you guys instead of like writing fan letters like I used to. Yeah, it's just it's unfathomable, Like I can't wrap my head around it.
Speaker 4: It's it's uh, it's like a really amazing reminder of even though this world is incredibly large and the population is massive, how small it can still be because I think like minded people attract like minded people. So it's again, it's like I said to you before, it's no surprise to me knowing Tory as well as I do that you that you two became friends and now you are friends with all of us the.
Speaker 2: Way you are.
Speaker 5: It's not You're going to make me cry. Dude.
Speaker 4: When I hear that I'm going somewhere and You're going to be at the convention, it's like Darren's gonna be That's fucking awesome, Like it's you know, it's it's a celebration on on our side too, because we know how fucking lucky we are to have someone that is as passionate about the show, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's that's the thing that that I'm aware of, is that like, as as as fun as it is for you to be around me, it's that passion of the show. Like the show was this thing.
Speaker 4: And I wish that we were all friends during the time when we were making the show, because you for sure would have been by set and hanging out and doing all that. But it was amazing to be in Vancouver and to have you be a part of that. That was that was really cool. And that is uh, that's I've seen that picture before from fans of like, you know, oh this was yeah exactly there you know, yeah on the mug and then just the one of like when they were shooting your close ups and everything and it was just you and the crowd.
Speaker 2: It was really cool. Yeah, So dude, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: If you wanted just a quick message to to Tori just before before you go anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally, toy. You know, I love you and I'm thinking of you and I'm hoping you feel better really soon and get back to your normal chaotic life which you strive. You strive with chaos. You've always said that, and I believe it, and I hope you're doing well and feeling better and I just love you and uh thinking about you.
Speaker 2: Ah, dude, Darren Martin, you're the man. So so good to see you, brother. Yeah, nice, and you talk soon. But Randy Spelling, what's here? We are, Brian, we are. How you doing fantastic? So this is so your sister is uh is sick, she's not feeling great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 4: So iHeart asked me to kind of step up and take over for her for a couple of weeks while she's recovering, which we want her to do, like we really want her to take the time recover, get you know, get aheads up. I'm I'm assuming she's learned by this at fifty two that drinking diet doctor pepper all day long instead of water is not really the way to go.
Speaker 2: And that's the low hanging fruit, right, that's the like that is water is the low hanging drink. You drink water.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, if they're into the environment, you don't use plastic straws like it's just one of those like it's one of those simple fixes.
Speaker 2: So here we are we uh, I know she is, like she's detoxing with the family.
Speaker 4: You know, they're still dealing with some residual stuff from the mold that she dealt with before.
Speaker 2: There's a whole bunch of stuff. So I figured I had the idea.
Speaker 4: Of, like, why don't we make this a celebration of Tory instead of me trying to step in and do what Toy does, because Toy is very unique in what she does. She you know, uh, I will not talk to William Shatner about anal. That's just no place that I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go, yeah, exactly. So so I was like, okay, fair, So what is a what is a good way then for this to this to accomplish what it is they want and kind of paid tribute to her and I, you know, she has so positively affected so many people in her life, and I think it would just be great for her to be able to sit down and watch this and go, oh man, this was really cool. All of these people reaching out talking to Brian doing this kind of sit down thing. So, uh, that's why you're here, because you nobody knows Toy better than you do. I mean, you know, I like I know Toy pretty well. Yeah, because it's been from a young age.
Speaker 1: You have been around, She's been in your life, your entire life, so I've seen it all.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what are your What are some of the things that growing up watching Toy?
Speaker 4: What are some of the things that you really picked up from her that have carried through into your adult life.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, gosh, there's so many things. I mean, she is five years older, and so I was the little brother who idolized my older sister and wanted to, you know, be cool and dress cool. So I copied so many things from how she dressed and how she talked to She was always I don't know if people know this about Tori, but she was always a really good writer. She was super creative. She always drew figures and dreads like she was she was a pretty good artist. She was just very, very very creative, and I think we all had that. Our dad had that in many ways, you know, producing shows and writing as well. My mom had that, She's done so many different things, and Tory very much had that. So something that I always wanted to carry with me is the wave that she would create in the world. And so that was one of the things, like that she would write poems, right, and then we ended up writing our parents' anniversary poems and my mom still has them framed around the house. And I wouldn't say there was competition, but also healthy competition.
Speaker 2: There was healthy competition. I would assume.
Speaker 4: Competition of like, you know, not that I'm gonna like outdo you because you suck and I'm better than you, but like, hey, this is let's see who can come up with some cooler things. And then you guys would sort of cheer each other on and do that. I would assume, yeah, well, a.
Speaker 1: Little rise to the occasion situation, right, like oh she wrote that for the anniversary. Wow, when she framed it, and that was really good, So you know, next year I'll do something. It was kind of like that. Yeah, And then interestingly enough humor, so Tori start you would know this better than me. There was a time on the show where she started to find her comedic timing and her voice, and she infused more of that into Donna Martin. Sure, and when she did that, because she was always funny. She always had that side to her, but she started to play around with that more just in life and bring that out. So her and I always had this funny banter, especially when I got older and I started to know who I was and she was sort of more rooted in who she was. We'd play around with humor and I would I would see her just socially being her more and using her humor in situations, either to diffuse or people would come up on the street and she would make jokes. And you know, because you both have this, you're so caring with people, so good with people, whether they're fans or people that you talk to, you both always try to make them feel good and you know, lift them up again. So I watched her do that, and that was a piece I feel like, I you know, a bits and pieces like ooh, I like that. I'm gonna I'm gonna take that with me.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I like that.
Speaker 1: And that was one of them. Is her ability to use humor while connecting with others.
Speaker 4: Do you do you feel like that is something then that has carried into your professional life. I mean, being a life coach, you have to connect with people on a very human.
Speaker 2: Level. And make people feel comfortable in opening up to you.
Speaker 4: So is that is that a skill that had carried over into that or has it sort of been separate where you're like, no, I've got to I've got to keep it a little more PG and a little more.
Speaker 2: Right up the middle for my clients and.
Speaker 1: That well, I will say this, our humor is different, okay the way sure like I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Also, she had William Shatter on and and she talked about anal like let's you know, like, let's write very very different.
Speaker 1: But Tory is willing to go there and ruffle feathers. I mean, that is one thing that I appreciate about her. She's willing to get in there and have those conversations where it's just not as much my style. But she can be a rule breaker, And I think I was always the one where I didn't want to break the rules and I wanted to follow exactly this is being told how it is and what to do. And she'd be like no, And I look at her and go, what do you mean, right? No, Randy, why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: Because that's not like her. If you look at her.
Speaker 4: The things that she normally does, like what is sort of in her wheel that is not She's not normally someone that crosses people or is in the confrontation in any way. So what is it about then that side where she feels you think she feels free to be that way.
Speaker 1: That's a good question because there's a real juxtaposition I think inside of her as the people please her and we both have that, but then this other side where she's like, I'm not going to be told what to do or how to do it. I want to do it my way, and following that, and I think there's probably a battle there a lot of I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to hurt anyone.
Speaker 1: I don't want to confront this, I don't want to deal with something that's really uncomfortable. But also that comes out of you know, I don't I don't want to hurt someone. So I don't think her her breaking the rules comes out of a place of I'm doing this because I'm gonna hurt anyone or it's gonna affect anyone negatively, right, For sure, I think it's more of there are certain times where she has her certainty where she's like, no, I'm just gonna do this, and she goes with it.
Speaker 2: Toy. Tori has a really unique way of.
Speaker 4: Being self deprecating enough to where when she does push for something she wants, she's so.
Speaker 2: Like outwardly.
Speaker 4: Opposes herself in general that you kind of feel like you want to give her the win on this, Like it's very it's very smart what she does. Like she it's I think she learned at an early at an early age with the I don't know if it was with the show, with you know, finding an audience, because I know she had she was up against a lot. I mean, she honestly is one of the first NEPO babies you really look at that like was that was so thrown in her face and so thrown around. I think she figured out a way though, of being comfortable in who she wanted to be and then making it seem like I'm a mess, so just give you this little bit of something that makes me feel comfortable. So people went, Okay, yeah, we'll give you a little space, you know, we'll let we'll let you run a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it very well could be. I mean, I don't know if it was so predetermined.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't think it's I don't think it's premeditated at all. I think it's like sub some subconscious thing. Yeah, but it's you know, like you're subconscious when you when you figure out how to get away with things, then you're then it starts becoming autopilot for you. Like she's she's very much on autopilot in a lot of ways because she figured out what kind of gets her, what what she means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing, it's amazing. She's so fun to be around. She is, she's.
Speaker 1: Soused that she is a fun person, and it's it's really interesting. I tell her this a lot of how magnetic she is. I don't think she realizes and sees herself as accurately as some other people do, because I've been around her where I just I you know, I watch I watch people, and I watch her. Yeah, and people are drawn to her. It's not just the celebrity or them knowing her. She has this magnetism and likability that I'm sure was really hard to see yourself accurately. When she did get so much of the Aaron Spelling's daughter, and she only has this job because of him, I mean, she really got it pretty rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she had she had to really create above and beyond a reason why she was there where people would go, oh, nobody else could have delivered this in this way, like it had nothing to do with the fact that it was Aaron's daughter, like it was. She had to she had a lot to prove to people. But god, what what an amazing job she did. Shannon used to always say that nobody in her life made her laugh the way your sister did. Nobody Shannon would laugh in a certain way where it just like, because Tory says things that are so dumb funny, sometimes you're like, oh, my god, I can't believe that you just.
Speaker 2: Said that, and you just went there again.
Speaker 4: William Shatner and anal like, that's just a weird that's a combination that you wouldn't normally put together.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, so you saw Shannon and Tory together? Could would you watch that happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All the time?
Speaker 4: It was, And it was really great to see because they didn't they hadn't spoken for a while when the show was done and Shannon went and was doing Charmed, and then when that was done, and then Shannon was kind of on her own, and then we all got together again for the reboot and Shannon and Tory really reconnected again, and it was so great to watch Shan enjoy that relationship and see the things where I was like, god, I remember when I was like eighteen and nineteen on set, and that's exactly what I would see when we would all be like going out to Roxbury and just being kids and like going out.
Speaker 2: It was the it was they picked up where they left off. It was really it was really cool to see.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to hear that from Shannon's side because I saw from Tory's side reconnecting with Shannon what an impact that had on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the reminder of the.
Speaker 1: Strength that Shannon held and exuded, and what a great role model that was for Tory to be like, oh oh, I forgot because Shannon would just remind her, like, Toy, you are you are strong, own it and.
Speaker 4: It's such an important time in her life too. Like you, it's to me, there are no coincidences. Everything happens the way they're supposed to. And to look at the fact that Shannon Tory reconnect reconnected when they did, and then Tory now is single with the kids and all that, but she is in this place now of like really figuring out how to take control of what it is she wants and realizing that the buck stops at her, that there is nobody that she can point the finger at anymore or no. And that's so much that I know came from Shannon, because Shannon was always the one that was like, stop fucking doing what you're doing. Like she was very blunt about it, but she was blunt because she cared, like it wasn't it wasn't just her being difficult, it was that was how. That was one of the ways that Shannon was such an amazing friend to both of us. So it's so cool to see Toy now going into the world with the much more responsible outlook on all of it. Like she's the choices that she's making now, She's like, no, these are choices because I want to set myself up for the second act of my life, Like I want to do this the right way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some of my favorite things to watch my girls and I will look at it, or her cooking video she'll share she's excited to make a recipe and I know it's so simple and ridiculous, but her and I, I'll cook something and I'll go, what do you think of this what do you think it is? And we sort of toggle back and forth, and it's just fun at this stage of life that you know she's there when she can cooking and making these meals and enjoying that part with the kids at this point because we connected over food so much from childhood. That was one thing that was always front and center was food.
Speaker 2: Who do you think is the better cook of you two?
Speaker 1: I think we should see I think there should be an episode somewhere somehow where we go down and she makes a meal and I make a meal.
Speaker 4: Because I don't know how to answer that. So so then that's something that we uh that we try and set up this year. We try and set up a live cooking challenge between you two and we'll pick what we'll have. Yeah, we'll have someone come in though that is a true chef like Curtis Stone or somebody like that, to taste tests between the two and give their honest opinion of which one is better.
Speaker 2: My heart's beating fast. I'm so excited. I want to show your heart techniques.
Speaker 4: We'll see, we'll see if we can get some cookware from Gordon Ramsay. Yes, that hex cloud is fantastic. Yeah you like the hex Clad I know. Yeah, yeah, we'll run that and uh and we'll do something really fun that way. Dude, your sister loves you to death, which I is totally understandable. She is absolutely in awe of who you've become and the way you care yourself and the way you are with your kids and your wife and your life. And and then I know that she just means the world to you. I've seen you two together, so I think it's amazing. Thank you for coming on and doing this. I hope she enjoys watching this little bit, this little slice of insanity we get, we get a bunch of these.
Speaker 2: I've got a couple more, a couple more people I want to hit up. Yeah, slices of insanity. I love it. Yeah, thank you for asking me to do this.
Speaker 1: And the challenge is on.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, the challenge is no, we're going to do this, the challenges. We're going to do this for sure. Yeah. Yeah, I love you man. Good to see you too, brother. All right later