Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is.
Speaker 3: Robert Mayam and I am Joe McCormick, and we are back with our fourth episode in the series on dust. So we've covered a lot of ground already. If you have not heard the earlier episodes, you should probably go back and check those out first, but for a brief review. In part one of the series, we talked about how to define and classify dust according to particle size, and how easily it is borne aloft in the air, and so forth. We also talked about our domestic companions, the wonderful, beautiful, horrible pyroglyphid dust mites. We also talked about some of the complicated interactions between atmospheric dust and climate and weather. In Part two, we talked about dust bunnies both inside the home and potent in outer space, as well as some historical attitudes about dust and how those attitudes relate to things like interior design and horror literature. And then in part three, we talked about the role of dust in urban Victorian London and in nineteenth century literature again and also got into dust as an illustration of the philosophical puzzle known as the Sororiety's paradox or the paradox of the heap. And now we're back today to talk more about dust. I think we're going to focus today primarily on dust, the role of dust in religion and mythology.
Speaker 2: That's right. So at this point, I think we've cleanly established the ubiquitous nature of dust. You know, it precedes us, it follows us, and it steadily covers all the details of our lives. So on one level, dust is mundane and perhaps not all that worthy of careful consideration or dreaming or myth making. But as we've also established, dust can also be quite beautiful. It can haunt us with it. It's minuscule scale, it's almost invisible accumulation, and it takes on additional meanings in the light then of both mythological and scientific explanation. So it's something that, yeah, it's everywhere, it's every day, but it also works in such a subtle way and can be quite beautiful that it does seem to attract this kind of dream making attention.
Speaker 3: You know. One thing I brought up in the first episode of the series was about a mismatch in the different ways we think about dust, because on one hand, dust as a symbol is most often used to symbolize kind of nothingness or worthlessness. You know, dust just means like it's it's sort of the opposite of meaningful, useful matter. It's just something that's everywhere and is worth nothing. At the same time, I sort of like what you're talking about, rob with dust being both mundane and all around us, but also seemingly sort of magical. Sometimes. I think it's an interesting that dust has, even in its use as a symbol of meaninglessness or worthlessness, a real potency like it is, so it is considered so worthless that it is really captivating image and it matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And also we'll get into this a little bit too. There can also be I think, a disconnect between the way we think about dust and related substances such as dirt and mud versus the way that people would have thought about it in the past, but more centrally in times and places where people are more connected with the earth. So at any rate, we're going to get into some various examples here, but we do need to stress that we cannot possibly cover every invocation of dust and mythic, legendary, folkloric, and religious traditions here. So we're going to try and cover some cantilagizing examples, but will inevitably leave some things off, in which case, you know, that's an opportunity for folks to write into us and share other examples of dust from mythology, folklore, and so forth that we might find interesting and we can discuss on future listener mail episodes.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Please send us your favorite dust myths that we do not cover. But I wanted to kick things off today by looking at the role of dust in Mesopotamian myths because I just recalled off the top of my head a lot of striking imagery of dust in ancient Mesopotamian literature and also references in some of the religious rituals that we've talked about, Like I know, we talked about some of these last year in one of our Halloween episodes. But anyway, so I was going to look up some of the most interesting references to dust in Mesopotamian literature, and so I ended up searching for references to dust in the myths from Mesopotamia, Creation, the Flood, Gilgamesh, and others from Oxford University Press, nineteen ninety eight, edited by Stephanie Dally, And the most interesting one that I came across is one you might know, the sort of famous house of Dust passage in the Gilgamesh epic. This is in tablet seven of the Gilgamesh story and this imagery comes in when Gilgamesh's friend, the wild Man in key Dou, is cursed and dying. Basically, he is being punished by the gods. The gods are getting revenged because the two of them, both Gilgamesh and in key Dou, for some reason, only in key Dou gets punished here. They both attacked the demon Humbaba in the Cedar forest, and they attacked another god to They've been doing a lot of damage. They're they're a wild pair. So in key Dou is cursed by the gods. He's on his deathbed here and he has a terrifying dream, a truly revolting and disturbing vision of the underworld, the land of the dead. And I'm not going to quote the whole thing here, I'm gonna skip around a bit and pull out some passages from his description of the dream. And again this is the translation in that Myths and Misopotamia I described then in Kidu wept, for he was sick at heart. He lay down alone. He spoke what was in his mind to his friend. Listen again, my friend, I had a dream in the night. The sky called out, the earth replied. I was standing between them. There was a young man whose face was obscured. His face was like that of an Anzu bird. He had the paws of a lion. He had the claws of an eagle. He seized me by my locks, using great force against me, like a wild bull. He trampled on me. He squeezed my whole body. I cried out, save me, my friend, don't desert me. But you were afraid and did not help me. He seized me, drove me down to the dark house dwelling of Rkala's god, to the house where those who stay are deprived of light, where dust is their food and clay their bread. They are clothed like birds with feathers, and they no light, and they dwell in darkness. Over the door and the bolt dust has settled. Oh wow, so some of this does depend on the English translation. Some of the you know the hauntingness like you can read different translations of this passage that kind of hit in slightly different ways. And I will say that sometimes the word dust here is in some cases translated as dirt, but most often I've seen it as dust, and it really makes sense as dust. When you think about the idea that, like, to this house of dust, to this land of darkness over the door and the bolt the dust has settled, it's a really striking, powerful, creepy image that you know, it's like there's no coming and going anyway. And Kido goes on to describe how great kings of the world have their crowns piled up in heaps in the underworld, though I did wonder how many crowns makes a heap?
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, yeah, I love this detail about is. Yeah, like the steady accumulation of crowns in my much like the steady accumulation of.
Speaker 3: Dust, And much like the dust. The crowns are now worthless in the underworld because the kings cannot wear them and they are not honored. The kings in the underworld are made to be servants, cooking meats and baking desserts and pouring cool water for the gods, but they cannot share in these delights themselves. For the dead, dust is their food and clay is their bread. So finally, in this passage, in key Do does die from the god curse, and this vision of death is so awful that it drives Gilgamesh to go on his epic quest to discover the secret of immortality. And so he ends up, you know, searching for like a plant at the bottom of the ocean that he thinks can save him from death, because he cannot end up like in key Do in the house of dust. So it's literature like this that makes me think. In some cases, the imagery of dust is used, of course, to signal something about worthlessness, like dust is not good as food, so it is not worthwhile as food. You do not want to be forced to eat it because it does not serve the function food should serve. But there is also a deeper meaning here. It's like there's a worthlessness deeper than mere trash or unwanted physical substance. There is a cosmic horror to this dust that the eating of the dust it seems to me to symbolize a fear so deep that it can't even be articulated. It's the fear of that, which is the opposite of vitality, the opposite of life, and the opposite of all meaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it brings me back once again to that line from T. S. Eliot. I will show you fear and a handful of dust.
Speaker 3: So it clearly can have something of this kind of significance. The house of dust is a horrible place that Gilgamesh does not want to go. You know, it's the end of everything good. But on the other hand, clearly dust doesn't always have this kind of significance in even in people's magical and religious thinking.
Speaker 2: That's right, so I thought we might. We'll come back to some more fearful examples of dust. But first off, here's a pretty i think fun one, in a mostly positive one. This is the idea of the Sandman's dust. So a lot of you are familiar with the nursery spirit known as the sandman who visits you each night to sprinkle sand into your eyes to cause you to sleep. And if you're like me, you've sort of long half heard this tale and or seen it in old Disney cartoons. I think there's one where Pluto the dog is visited by a canine sandman, and you get to see all this play out in animated form. But if you're like me, you probably didn't. Were rarely paused to consider how weird this is, right, because.
Speaker 3: Like it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Sand in your eyes.
Speaker 3: Seems like it would make it hard to sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like sand in your eyes is a bad thing. But so I think for the first time in my life, I was like, all right, well, what's what is So one of the first places I went was a Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, which is always kind of a nice sort of first stop with some of these antiquated English sayings. And the idea here, apparently is that one becomes sleepy, especially children. And what do you do? You rub your eyes as if you have sand or dust in them, And I think this is key too. Sandman maybe sounds more abrasive dust man, And the idea of dust in your eyes is ultimately, I think more where this is based. And indeed the sand man is also known as the dust man, and Brewers includes examples of sayings that would have invoked the dust man. So you might have a situation where I suppose you might be becoming sleepy, or more likely there are children becoming sleepy, and you might say something like, oh, the dust man has arrived.
Speaker 3: That's so creepy. What child wants to hear that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, I don't It doesn't strike me as is too nefarious. Here. Carol Rose has an entry on the entity in her book Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns and Goblins, which is an excellent encyclopedia of fairies and fair folks, sorts of creatures, and she describes the dust in question as magic dust and it ensures not only sleep, but ultimately pleasant dreams. She mentions that the dust man in Danish and Swedish lore is known as only luke oui, which means, and I'm probably mispronouncing that, only close your eyes. And in this tradition he is a tiny elf or fairy in a silk jacket that changes color with the light. Which I like that detail because to me, it makes me think of what we've been discussing about, you know, motes of dust being caught in a ray of light and having this ethereal quality. And so what does he do? He comes up and he blows magic dust into a child's eyes and onto their neck. This makes your eyelids heavy and makes your head heavy. You can't hold your head up straight anymore. So it's time to go to bed. And then once you're in bed, once you're safely a snooze, he'll come to your bed and open up a magical umbrella over you, and there will be all these wonderful pictures on the underside of the umbrella that will fill your dreams with wonderful stories. Now, isn't that delightful? Now this is not true for naughty kids, however, but it's not too bad. You know, naughty kids can get it, can have a pretty hard time in these sorts of tales. But according to Rose, naughty kids just get a standard umbrella. So it's not the umbrella we've met with beautiful stories on the underside of it. It's just an umbrella, So no special dreams for you. But also you're not like chased around by you know, some strange demons or anything. And of course there are other varieties of this sort of spirit in European tradition, but they don't all use dust, and they don't certainly don't all use umbrellas.
Speaker 3: I had no idea Sandman with this deep I did not think there was associated.
Speaker 2: Lore yeah, it runs pretty deep. Now for the next few examples are going to get more into this connection between some sort of magical dust and the dust of the dead, which does seem to be a common motif that you find in traditions all over the world. And it makes sense, you know, it gets down to this basic, you know, ashes to ashes sort of observation about the nature of matter in our world. The first one is something that's generally referred to as goopher or goopher dust. Sometimes it's spelled g o O f e r and other times it's spelled g o O p h e R. And I was reading a about this in an article on the low Country Digital History Initiative website. This is affiliated with South Carolina's College of Charleston, titled Spiritual Practices in the low Country discussing African American religious practices in the Antebellum and post Bellum periods. These are particular traditions that are sometimes referred to broadly as who do and the article here discusses conjuring magic of West and West Central African origin that enslaved people's practiced outside of or alongside Christian religious traditions. It notes individuals given the title of goopher doctor. The term seemingly related to the Congo word kufwa, meaning to die, And I was reading elsewhere in folk Belief and Custom in the Blues by Mimi Klarr published in Western Folklore back in nineteen sixty that describes this goopher dust as a powder to be burned in a kind of long disay since conjuring of the illness, and mentions that the powder is generally associated with graves. And by long distance, I mean, you know, it doesn't necessarily need to be cross country, but just like the target is not maybe physically present at the conjuring. Now, the next one I want to touch on is a concept involving a kind of corpse dust in Navajo traditions. So a while back I was researching a topic related to rituals and folk beliefs of the Navajo people in various sources I reached out to pointed me in the direction of a work by an anthropologist by the name of Clyde Klockhon who lived nineteen oh five through nineteen sixty, particularly his book Navajo Witchcraft from nineteen forty four. The version I have as a publication from nineteen eighty nine, and I think there were some editions made. I'm not sure if those editions were made in the eighties or if they had been made previously in the nineteen sixties. However, so Klokhoon's anthropology work was very well regarded. But I do want to against stress that the timeframe of the working question here. So he worked among the Navajo people during the nineteen thirties and the late nineteen twenties, that's when his field work took place. But you know, he was an outsider working within those communities, and that this is not like modern anthropological work, but it's still fascinating. And he uses Western terms such as witchcraft in discussing these magical concepts, though he himself wrote that this term was not completely accurate, as you know, it's more of a dependence on a broadly comparable Western concept to understand or discuss what is occurring in Navajo culture, and he suggested that a more precise description would be quote Navajo idea and action patterns concerned with the influencing of events by supernatural techniques that are socially disapproved. So what we're talking about here, it's not something you would want to confuse with other examples of Navajo rituals and beliefs. This would be like a subset of those in which the techniques were generally disapproved of, or I would say even broadly disapproved of.
Speaker 3: But also with that caveat, you would want to be careful not to apply all of the connotations that you might apply to witchcraft and say the you know, Renaissance European context or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In general, the term witch and witchcraft can become complicated when you start like applying it to actual practices instead of fantastic practices. You know, imagine fictional practices and practices that were dreamed up by men in the persecution of women and also of indigenous religions and so forth. Anyway, klok on here concerning witchcraft, he reports on beliefs and traditions concerning concerning adente. These would be men and women that were thought to pursue a sort of morally descendant path to magical power, the path of the Adante, the witchery way, as the author describes it here, is a path of death, desecration, poison, and beast forms. It also sometimes involves a special preparation of dust. He describes the alleged use of a preparation often translated as a poison ground from corpses and said to look like pollen. Quote. It may be dropped into a hogan from the smoke hole, placed in the nose or mouth of a sleeping victim, or blown from furrowed sticks into the face of someone in a large crowd. Now, depending on the telling of the story, there may be immediate symptoms, such as the blackening of the tongue or lockjaw, but in other other tellings there's nothing so obvious. But generally the way it's supposed to go is that the victim begins to waste away and ultimately dies the witchery way. He writes pursuit for various reasons, inclu vengeance the pursuit of riches, and the riches would primarily be obtained via grave robbing or something he discusses as fee splitting, in which an audane would partner with a healer and then split the healer's fee. So basically something like an illness scam with a healer where you're like, I'll cause the illness and you treat the illness, and you just give me half of what they pay you. To treat it, but other audente seemingly pursued a more chaotic evil path, just doing harm for the sake of doing harm. Now, I want to note here that the clock on himself in the book and made no claim that witchcraft and sorcery as cited in these examples were indeed actually practiced. You know, it's ultimately a lot of mystery here. But rather what we can focus on are that these were stories and traditions. These were stories told, These were ideas that were discussed, you know, concerning unexplained illness, superstition, suspicion of other individuals. And he writes a link than the book about the various reasons for so called witchcraft traditions in a given culture, including various social functions, the management of anxiety, and more. So, you know, his treatment ultimately is not saying like, here's this, here's this weird story. Look how weird it is. It's also not here's this thing that is said people definitely did this. It's it's more complicated than that. But I mainly wanted to focus on the idea that here is another culture where we see some idea of a corpse derived dust being used in magical rituals of one sort or another that are socially disapproved of within the culture in which these stories originate. Right in this case, in this particular case with the adante, this would be someone who is doing you know, bad, socially reprehensible magic, and therefore the idea that they're using some sort of a corpse powder see seems based in that. But there are other examples we find around the world where the corpse does takes on a different hear And so, continuing this theme of magical dust connected to the bodies of the dead, let's turn to some European traditions that get into this. I was looking at a paper titled Dynamic Dirt Medieval Holy Dust ritual Erosion and Pilgrimage Eco Poetics. This is by Susan Signy Morrison, published in special collection Waste, Disposability, Decay and Depletion from twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, are we about to get into some crumbly saints.
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, so this is a really really good write up. I really enjoyed this. The author stresses first of all that the dust and dirt are pretty key to religious pilgrimage, in this case focusing on medieval European traditions. Pilgrimage, by his very nature, just ends up altering geography. You have a bunch of people, you know, trooping along towards some holy site, you know, trampling the earth. What's going to happen. They're going to stir up dust, They're gonna spread dust to carry away mud, They're going to erode things. That's just how it goes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And in fact, I don't know how far back this tradition goes, but I mean you certainly can see the idea of like earth from a holy site being removed and jarred and taken abroad to I don't know, it carries some of that holiness with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And she gets into some of that, and to call back to Dracula again, the idea that Dracula in Bromstucker's novel must travel with dirt from his homeland. You know, there is kind of like the inversion of the holy dirt here, the holy dust.
Speaker 3: He's got to take his unholy dust in a coffin with him.
Speaker 2: So she gets into this idea that I found really compelling, that I hadn't really thought about as much. And that's that a people's attitude toward dust, dirt, and related substances may be substantially different if the people in question live in close confines with the natural world, you know, be it you know, be it agriculture, or some other mode of the natural world that makes them aware of how dirt and manure are bound to the production of food. So she points out that while manure might be seen more as a pure waste product by modern and urban standards, medieval Europeans would have had a more unquote redemptive view of manure. So it's not an end product, but a transition, a beginning even in some ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to feel differently about a substance if you have a use for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then when you know, aspects of the sacred and the holy are applied, it's perhaps a little easier for dirt and dust to take on the air of healing, and it certainly does in some of these tails and some of these traditions. Now. She also points out here that one thing to keep in mind too, is that within a culture, you might have different classifications for soil. So it's not like you just have dirt, you just have soil. You may have different types of soil, and perhaps that also opens up room for some soils to have healing qualities and be rather different in character compared to other soils. Anyway, she ultimately discusses two sorts of dust and dirt that I think are note here for us. The first is dirt that has come into contact with the bodies, the blood, or other substances of holy individuals. So in the same way that the finger of a deceased saint may be deemed holy, the dirt that soaked up their blood also becomes holy. And she cites two different descriptions here from the English monk the Venerable Bead, who lives six seventy two or six seventy three through seven thirty five. We've talked about Bead briefly on the show before. I believe yes, so here's the first one. And when he had reverently deposited these relics, Germanus took away with him a portion of the earth from the place where the blessed martyr's blood had been shed. The martyr here is one alban By the way, the earth was seen to have retained the marcher's blood, which had reddened the shrine where his persecutor had grown pale with fear. And this next one is really good too. Okay, at the place where he and he is King Oswald here was killed fighting for his country against the heathen. Sick men and beasts are healed to this day. Many people took away the very dust from the place where his body fell and put it in water, from which sick folk who drank it received great benefit. This practice became so popular that, as the earth was gradually removed, a pit was left in which a man could stand. Many miracles are reported as having occurred at this spot or by means of the earth taken from it.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is the kind of belief that you can't think too concretely about because if it's like literally the blood had to touch the particle of dust you're taking, by the time you got a pit a man can stand in, that earth is not there anymore. So like what's I don't know, but I guess there's enough that like by magical association, just any earth from the place is good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's kind of like just our magical associations with geographical locations in general. You know, like if you go to the place where, say, a famous person died, say, I don't know, you know, the place where John Lennon died, or something to that effect. You know, in many cases these places, even assuming that it's one hundred percent geographically correct, even if it's exactly where this person died or something happened, you know, in many cases, the environment has been changed. You know, there is now a plaque there, Maybe the concrete has been changed since people were going there. You have to do things to keep from eroding everything. So it's you know, we but we lean into the magic of it. I am here where this thing happened, and therefore I am closer to sort of the the idea of the event, the spirit of the event, and so forth. Yeah, now I guess I shouldn't feel shocking. I imagine within a faith that includes the doctrine of trends of substantiation, you know, the idea that the matter of communion is or becomes the flesh and blood of Christ and the body. But also again it plays into this understanding of ashes to ashes that we see in other traditions, and it gets into this idea of the transitional nature of dirt and soil. So it's not purely tied to theoretical matters, but it also may be tied to sort of ecological realities, you know, things that would have been sort of observable about dirt and soil in the cycle of life in the world around you. Now another area she gets into, though, is that there's also just dust that gathers on certain holy relics, and this dust in and of itself, in some context is thought to be holy, so it's often called tomb dust, and it will settle on reliquaries of saints and also within actual tombs. And I found this quite fascinating because it kind of it seems to line up with some of these ideas we've talked about concerning the natural accumulation of dust and a house or other human space, you know, the times invisible aspect of this accumulation, as well as the ethereal nature of glimpsing those motes of dust floating in a ray of sunlight, which I was thinking too. It was like, oh, this is is kind of like the golden rain of Zeus, which is sometimes described as golden dust. I think it's more oftentimes described as as a rain or a shower of gold, but sometimes as golden dust. This being the form that Zeus takes to impregnate the mortal princess Dana.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the mother of Perseus and the Perseus myth. Yeah, so her his father is is immortal because Zeus comes. It is off the version of the myth. I knew it was said to be like a shower of gold from the sky, I think, pouring into the window of the room where she was imprisoned by her father.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and sometimes it's described as dust. I couldn't. I was looking around to see if there was a source that really went all in on this and discussed the you know, comparisons to dust in one's environment. But I couldn't find anything offhand. It maybe out there, and I just I didn't find it.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. Yeah, dust floating in a ray of sunlight. That seems like that's a shower of gold.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, let's see what other examples here do I have to share. I did run run across a few in Chinese traditions. So I was looking at the Handbook of Chinese Mythology by Yang and An, and they mentioned that there is this is only mentioned in passing, but there is Slash was a popular tradition among the weaker people of Central and East Asia that holds that a goddess inhaled the dust and air of the universe and then exhaled or spat out the Sun, the Moon, the Earth, the stars, and like all humans. Elsewhere in this book they mentioned various Han Chinese myths that allude to the need to regularly wash the sun and moon, as even the sun and moon acquired dust over time, and this is also echoed and I think in some other traditions in various other Chinese ethnic groups. Now, I was reminded of something that this is actually something I discussed on the podcast years and years ago, an episode on poisons that I did with Christian But I went back and looked at the source again. It was titled The Mail and Poison Interactions on China's Southwest Frontier by Norma Diamond. This was published in a nineteen eighty eight edition of Ethnology, and this one gets it basically deals with various ideas of poison in this border country. And I'm not necessarily going to get into all of this again. I think the episode was titled The Six Deadly Poisons, where were talked about different poisons but she discusses this idea of Goo folklore from the Tang dynasty. So this one in six eighteens ce onward, and in particular, you have this idea of the five poisonous creatures. So in this idea goo, this special poison was kind of a quasi magical poison created by a kind of by this process that I think aligns with some of these kind of like Western alchemical processes that we've talked about, you know, where clearly what we're describing here is impossible, but it has kind of like the trappings of chemical ritual and so forth.
Speaker 3: M Well, yeah, about some types of alchemy we've noticed how it's interesting that it's a kind of not efficacious magical belief that in some forms is grasping toward actual chemistry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, in this particular instance, the idea was, what you do is you seal the five poisonous creatures to gather inside a jar. So you throw in your snake, your centipede, your toad, your scorpion, and your lizard, and I'm assuming we're dealing with specific venomous or poisonous examples of these creatures, and then you keep this jar in a dark place for a year. During this time, the creatures are going to eat each other until there's only one survivor. They're going to become a tra duncan of poisonous creatures trae duncan. Yeah, like the what is it?
Speaker 3: Turducan?
Speaker 2: Tur duncan tur duncan. Sorry, I've never had one, so I owe me neither. It's not really the menu for me anymore.
Speaker 3: But why that's a it's a ridiculous food tru duncan?
Speaker 2: Is it trud duncan? I think it's turnd dunk because it.
Speaker 3: Ts turn in there. That's great, Yeah, turd duck in okay, because it's a chicken, a duck, and a turkey.
Speaker 2: Well, this is like that, except poisonous creatures, and so they all eat each other. Then there's one left, but it's in a dark jar for a year, so that creature dies and then when you open it up, Uh, I guess you have this like one little mummified creature with like magically potent poison inside of it. So you ground that up into a powder, and this is the good poison that causes sickness and depth.
Speaker 3: So it's like the most poisonous dust in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it basically it ties into various ideas, superstitions, and I think accusations of indigenous peoples on the border using poisons to make people sick, using the and using them in a place and a time where the border country would you know, have a lot of strife, There would be conflict, There would be also a you know, a collision of cultures, and uh, you know a certain amount of xenophobia and accusations of witchcraft. But but that's and then also as Diamond gets into in this article, there also are theories about, well, if this was an actually there was an actual poison, what could it have been? Not something made by forcing poisonous creatures to eat each other and then grounding up the victor, but rather something maybe based in the use of arsenic or various other substances.
Speaker 3: Would this be trying to infer what it might possibly have been if it was real, from like literary sources.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, looking at literary sources, and then looking at what is known about, say, actual plants that were available at that time, some of which we would have been used in in like traditional medicine. And of course we know that a lot of things used in traditional medicine as than you know, any kind of medical practice, Like the quantity is key, and something that could otherwise be a poison can also be a treatment, and so forth.
Speaker 3: As they said, yeah, the dose makes the poison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so ultimately though, the idea is you could have some sort of a poisonous powder that then could be like snuck into someone's food or their tint, or forced on them one their asleep. That sort of thing lining up, you know, with the idea of the Navajo corpse powder that we discussed earlier, and I think more broadly kind of getting into this realization that sometimes there are particles in the air that might not be good for us, you know, and without a germ theory, without you know, real scientific knowledge to go on, you just kind of had to sort of guess. Like it was a you know, certainly had this idea. You see them in various parts of the world of bad air, harmful air, or I was reading a Navajo traditions, you have this idea sometimes of of there being like a various types of wind. I was looking at a book titled Holy Wind and Navajo Philosophy by James kle McNelly, and like sometimes a wind would have like a like a bad smell to it that might be associated with dead animals or said to emerge from the mouths of animals. And so yeah, it's like, I think there's a certain amount of trying to make sense of how the air or things in the air can influence human health and or behavior. And in some cases it might be connected to nefarious individuals within your group or just outside of your group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but as we've talked about on the show before that like, in a way, various kinds of beliefs about bad wind or bad air or bad smells being related to sickness are getting halfway there. Like they're picking up on something like you can inhale things that make you sick. People inhale droplets and airborne you know, germs and get sick. That there can be like if you fear the swamp air, maybe it's not the swamp air that's gonna hurt you, but there might be mosquitos in there that could give you malaria or some other disease. And so even though these beliefs didn't get the full way there, it does seem like they may have been based on picking up some kind of correlation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you you didn't catch cholera because of the because the open latrin smell.
Speaker 3: Bad as soon as you were drinking the water, right right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, A lot of times these things seem to get half way to the truth and sometimes enough to where like you're getting results by implementing them. All. Right, On that note, I think we're going to go go ahead and close up this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind. Again. We couldn't possibly get into all of the mythologies, legends, folkloric ideas and so forth concerning dust. So if you have additional ones you want to bring up, or if you have an added insight on anything we've discussed here, certainly write in We'd love to discuss it on a future episode of Listener Mail or episodes published every Monday and Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed. Our core episodes of science and Culture are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a short form episode on Wednesdays, and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows have
Speaker 2: The po pot