Speaker 1: Game in my place.
Speaker 2: It's the season, the football season, gathering.
Speaker 1: For the game.
Speaker 2: Food on every tray, it's Buffalo dip so good, Philly creen cheese all the way.
Speaker 3: Ask them I here inside buns or of fries with hns.
Speaker 2: What fun it is to buch a shop with food of every kind? Oh football todays, Football Todays, footba Hollidays. Out here, Oh my young minutes to share velvia tip with cheese.
Speaker 3: Celebrate the football to days with all your game day faves at Walmart.
Speaker 2: At the end the fan, good evening.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Vikings Rewind on KFA N and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. I'm Nordo from nine to noon and Vikings Rewind is always presented by Omni Viking Lakes. You could book your stay today just go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes. I love doing Vikings Rewind after a Vikings win the day prior, and I'm on a roll and the team's on a roll. Five consecutive wins, five in a row for the Purple. They beat the New Orleans Saints yesterday twenty seven to nineteen at us Bank Stadium. They are now six and four and firmly in the playoff mix. It was the first start for Josh Dobbs. We got to see him, unfortunately due to the concussion to Jaren Hall, but you got to see him beat the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 2: Now you got to see what a.
Speaker 4: Full week of preparation would do for Dobbs in this game, in this offense, and all he did was have a career high in passing, no fumbles, no turnovers. Another rushing TD had a throwing score as well. A beautiful day for that offense. And you'll get to hear from Josh Dobbs. He was interviewed after yesterday's game by Vikings Entertainment Networks Tatum Everett. You also get to hear from dj Wantam, who joined PA nine to noon earlier today. Fifth sack of the season accumulated yesterday by Wantam.
Speaker 2: But first let's rewind to the action.
Speaker 4: Vikings get the ball first yesterday against Derek Carr and those Saints, and they start out on what looks like a very promising drive eight plays fifty three yards, but it stalls out.
Speaker 2: Greg Joseph for the field goal.
Speaker 5: Thirteen of seventeen on field goals, snap spot from forty right hash and it is good.
Speaker 2: So three nothing early on for the Purple.
Speaker 4: Then the teams exchange a couple of punts and it's the Saints turn to kick for three.
Speaker 5: Forty eight yard try right hash snap spot Roopie the rookie.
Speaker 2: The kick is.
Speaker 4: Good three to three early on. And that was kind of the game that I thought. This would be a lot of settling for field goals, kind of a grinder of a game, and the idea that without Kirk, that this offense was going to have to win some ugly games. Both defenses, Saints and Vikings playing exceptionally well, so off to a slow start offensively, Boy was I wrong. As the Vikings on their ensuing possession eleven plays seventy five yards, just a handful of minutes into the second.
Speaker 2: Quarter, ty Chandler with his first touchdown.
Speaker 5: A couple of receivers left two out to the right, including Nikhil Harry ty Chandler. He takes the direct snap's Prince.
Speaker 6: Proble Lot.
Speaker 2: Touch down.
Speaker 5: Ty Chandler, his first National Football League touchdown, has given the Minnesota Vikings a nine to three lead, well.
Speaker 2: Ten three after the extra point.
Speaker 4: And this is kind of where I felt like this Vikings team was off to the races. They immediately forced a three and out that featured that sack from dj Wanham that I mentioned is fifth of the year.
Speaker 2: Love that Saints are punting.
Speaker 4: And then Vikings offense about nine plays eighty two yards like clock work, four and a half or so off the clock, just three minutes and change left in the half. Joshua Dobbs finding his legs yet again.
Speaker 2: I'll just shot gun.
Speaker 5: On third down, Cam Jordan got around the right tackle. Dobbs look sees nothing now he runs out to the left. He points to somebody, He turns no cob.
Speaker 1: Today town.
Speaker 2: In CRONI go.
Speaker 5: Shosh Dobbs with a rushing touchdown has run Minnesota to a sixteen three lead.
Speaker 4: So now seventeen to three, and then there's another three in out by the Saints and just inside the two minute warning chance for more points for the Vikings offense. How about seven plays seventy six yards just about a minute and a half. It took waning seconds of the first half. The blowout is.
Speaker 5: On Tom Shakes the snap out of the shotguns, three drop crows to the end zone and tohing.
Speaker 2: Hey twenty eight.
Speaker 5: Yard touchdown to t Jay Hawkinson. Wow, and Dobbs has beaten them by land and he just beat them by air twenty three three.
Speaker 4: Minnesota twenty four to three at halftime. Dobbs forty yards rushing at the half. Team has three hundred yards plus of total offense at the brake. So you like that, I use the term blowout right, Well, not so fast. Fights do force another three and out and they kick a field goal with the first possession of the third quarter. So it's twenty seven to three early third. But then things start to get weird. Sints ten plays, seventy five yards, about five minutes in total drive time. Derek Carr leaves with an injury. He wouldn't return. Jamis Winston comes in mid drive and immediately connects with Chris o'lave.
Speaker 5: Jameis Winston ovating the snap from veteran center Eric McCoy. Trailing by three touchdowns in a field goal, He's got to pass week.
Speaker 2: One of the m zone. Fo olave. He caught it. He came down for a touchdown. Wow, christ olave back right to the end zone. Well done, young man.
Speaker 4: It was the perfect throw and unfortunately Byron Murphy not able to win position in the back of the end zone.
Speaker 2: There Olave with the touchdown.
Speaker 4: Then Alvin Kamara plunges in on the two point conversion. It's twenty seven to eleven and the Vikings offense gotta struggling at times, getting stuck for most of the second half yesterday. Now we're exchanging punts and the Vikings do get the ball near midfield, they get stuck.
Speaker 2: However, Greg Joseph misses from.
Speaker 4: Fifty four on the first play of the fourth quarter. He's now three to six on the season from fifty plus yard field goal attempts. But that gives a Saints a shorter field heading the other way, and it's nine plays, it's fifty six yards.
Speaker 2: It's a few minutes off the clock.
Speaker 4: Everything working for Jamis in that offense and he finds some dude in the end zone I had never heard of until yesterday.
Speaker 5: Third and eight from the vieteen fifteen, Jamis with a straight drump. Now he floats up to the left, eyes into the end zone, throws all the way back to the right to Harry. It is a jump ball front right of the end zone in well one one. The back judge set touchdown, the side judge set in Connor.
Speaker 2: Hey you hitting me?
Speaker 5: Well, Dad, we have It's Perry with his first National Football League touchdown. All right, At Perry, a rookie from Wake Forest. He's sixty six. They matched him up against the smaller I believe Makai Blackman and no Byron Murphy Junior and Harry went up and came down with it.
Speaker 2: It was kind of hard to see exactly what happened, you.
Speaker 4: Know why, because everyone was looking at the other side of the end zone. Go watch this replay if you didn't see yesterday, and you'll be questioning your head, just like I was in the moment, Like.
Speaker 2: How on earth did Jamis see that guy?
Speaker 4: With the way the play was rolling, He's moving towards one side of the boundary and in at Perry again, I hadn't heard of him until yesterday. Michael Thomas, by the way, I believe, leaves the game with the knee injury, and maybe that gives more reps to the At Perry types. But other side of the field, Jamis finds him somehow miraculous throw. Not sure anybody else in the league would have even attempted it. But then now that touchdown plus the two point conversion It's twenty seven to nineteen Vikings with eleven forty remaining in the game. Another Vikings game, another sweat. But of course the Vikings do come out on top, you know that. But it wasn't exactly the most electrifying finish ever, as Vike's punt, Saints punt, Vikings punt.
Speaker 5: Saints pick Winston on third and Karen hens he throws lost one of the right time.
Speaker 6: Times, the first interception of Lakaid Blackman's career, and with threeos picks to go in the game, it's twenty seven nineteen tie in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Massive play is first career interception, Makai Blackman, the mid round draft pick out of USC, the rookie making a play.
Speaker 2: And you heard that in the highlight too.
Speaker 4: Just over three minutes to go, let's move the chains and get out of here with a victory. The Vikings go three and out, so the Vikings punt. But then, this is a career in which Jameis Winston one of the greatest arm talents you can find in the NFL.
Speaker 2: He can make.
Speaker 4: Those perfect throws, but he's always gonna give the other team a shot.
Speaker 2: And yesterday, just two plays later, picks.
Speaker 5: Saints trying to win three in a row, Vikings trying to win five in a row, and Winston goes back to pass, He's gonna throw one center of the field intercepted and the Minnesota Vikings get a high.
Speaker 2: Five, turning it over there. The Vikes would go three and out again.
Speaker 4: Jameis Winston heaves a beautiful hail Mary ball into the end zone, but nobody catches it. Game over, Vikings victorious twenty seven to nineteen. The final Joshua Dobbs career high in passing two hundred and sixty eight yards and the one touchdown that you did here to TJ. Hawkinson also had the rushing score ty Chandler And unfortunately, there were some injuries yesterday, so Jordan Hicks he suffered a shin contusion, which sounds super painful. He left the game, would come back, but ultimately had to go to the hospital. It sounds like Kevin O'Connell spoke to the media earlier today about it. He may have suffered from compartment syndrome, so he had a minor surgical procedure done to relieve either fluid or swelling or something up. He is likely not to play at Denver, so Jordan Hicks, our leading tackler in the season, that he's having something to watch here in terms of his health moving forward, Alexander Madison concussed and he had eight carries for twenty seven yards on the day. Ty Chandler getting all those reps because of the achilles injury to cam Akers, he had fifteen carries for forty five yards. In that direct snap touchdown highlight that you heard. We even saw Kenny Wong Will running the ball a couple of carries for nine yards from him. Monster day from TJ Hawkinson gritting through that rib injury. Eleven catches, one hundred and thirty four yards and a touchdown may have been his greatest play a week ago carrying tacklers for big yards against the Falcons.
Speaker 2: He had a similar play today, perfect connection.
Speaker 4: From Dobbs right down the middle of the field for a touchdown as well.
Speaker 2: TJ.
Speaker 4: Hawkinson playing super high end at this moment. So the Vikings are six and four. Next up the Denver Broncos, but there's still time to analyze that. When we return, you're gonna hear Tatum Everett chat with quarterback Josh Dobbs in the locker room after the victory from yesterday as well as pass Rusher DJ Wantam. He was on nine to noon with PA earlier today. We'll play that back for you. But first, before I go to the break Friday Football Feast, let's get after it and let's go to Buffalo Wild Wings Coon Rapids this Friday. Join PA in charge of beat Ups Coon Rapids nine to noon Friday Football Feast.
Speaker 2: It's presented by cors Light.
Speaker 4: You can enjoy food and drink specials and a chance to win Vikings tickets and more. Go to Vikings dot com slash bww for a full schedule and details. More Vikings Rewind brought to you by Omni Viking Lakes. That's coming up next to around the Corner on kfan and the Minnesota Vikings to you by Omni Viking Lakes right here on kfan and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network Nordo here from nine to noon in a couple interviews momentarily, But first you can join our guy Mike Mussman at Cowboy Jacks in Bloomington for Vikings Country Tomorrow night, Cowboy Jackson, Bloomington, five point thirty pm.
Speaker 2: It's always presented by Miller Light.
Speaker 4: He's always going to have super cool player guests there as well, so look forward to that.
Speaker 2: Win great prizes as well.
Speaker 4: Including tickets in the Miller Light Lounge at us Banks Stadium.
Speaker 2: So all kinds of fun up for grabs.
Speaker 4: Go to Vikings dot com slash Vikings Country more info and a full schedule, and while you're there you can talk to us about Josh Dopps and how cool this revelation has been. Over the course of the last couple of weeks. Josh Dobbs gets the victory in his first start as a member of the Vikings yesterday against the Saints, and he found Vikings Entertainment Networks Tatum Everett down in the locker room, take it away, Tatum.
Speaker 7: Definitely fun when you're winning, and that's really a lot thanks to you, your ability.
Speaker 1: To get move around.
Speaker 7: How much freedom or how nice it is to have the freedom to be able to make the choice, like if I'm in a bad situation, they're gonna let me use my athleticism and the fact that they trust you that much to do so.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, it's awesome to have that freedom. In the offense, it's awesome to you know, fill the trust with the coaching staff obviously a week and a half until my time here. So yeah, you know, they call really good plays, they put together really good plans, and as the player out there, man, my job is to go through progressions or someone open take it, take advantage of those looks down the field, but when there's not protecting the football, but make plays, keep the chains moving forward. And so that's obviously part of my skill set and it's been great to be in an offense that lets me thrive with that, you know, being able to throw the ball but also run and take advantage of looks when they're given by the defense.
Speaker 7: What's the difference in comfort level? I feel like it's a silly question, but the difference in comfort level from last week to.
Speaker 1: This week, Oh, it was not and day.
Speaker 8: You know, last week was kind of you know, you're looking out there just not guessing, but you know you're looking out there praying that you're making the right reads and checks and just trying to play fast and not play negative football. Then once you get your feet undera then go play right. This week really from the jump obviously being able to get reps with the offense and throw to the receivers before you know, game time allows to have more comfort and freedom just to be able to go out there and play effortlessly, you know, go through your.
Speaker 1: Reads, be comfortable in the pocket.
Speaker 8: I thought the old line man, they did a tremendous shop all day, like giving me time to go through my progressions and then when stuff wasn't there, be able to.
Speaker 1: Make something shake with my legs.
Speaker 8: So being able to just be around just a wealth of playmaker's help. And so yeah, I'm excited to keep pushing forward with the team.
Speaker 7: You saw my next question because with with you in the game, they've only had one penalty, which is just incredible. You know, no fall starts, no holding, none of that. What can you say about the effort that they have, the togetherness that they play with.
Speaker 1: Man, they are awesome. They are a fun group to play with.
Speaker 8: Just their energy throughout the week and then when you get to game day just how you know it runs through them. You know they're able to you know, own the line of scrimmage, do a great job of keeping clean pockets. And you know as a quarterback man like you are a point guard. And so the goal for me is to get the team in the right play, you know, quickly have the logistics covers, so then everyone can just play football. We're not worried about lining up, We're not worried about all those all those things, so everyone else can just go play football and then I'll handle it once the ball snap. So yeah, you know, it's great to be around these guys. They've taken me under their wing and you know, allowing me to thrive with some great complimentary football.
Speaker 7: What is something that you've done the past week to get.
Speaker 2: To know them better, to get to know this locker room better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was cool.
Speaker 8: So I found out on Thursday the old line goes out to eat somewhere each week, and so I was still hold up at the hotel on Thursday and they were eating dinner downstairs. So I got a chance to walk over and we watched the Thursday night football game just to hang out and you know, talk about informally everything that's going on throughout the week, talk about the craziness of you know, the dynamic during the game.
Speaker 1: And then also you know, get prepared to go.
Speaker 8: I'll have a great Friday practice of preparation and get ready for this game right here, so you don't trying to get around as many teammates as possible also home, trying to you know, get the offense you know, under my belt as quickly as possible. And so you know, just getting to know them will come with time, man. And now I'm going to exhaust every single opportunity to be able to be around my teammates.
Speaker 7: And you know, how to study. That's not the thing You've been in the link before. Has any of your habits changed with this, uh, the quickness that you've had to learn and then maybe in this situation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know, it's I'm always open to ways of you know, changing my habits. I will say, you know, I rely on them, and not not much has changed, you know, just going through the situations I've gone through in the past, they prepared me to be able to quickly get an offense under speed under my belt and go out and just play good cleaning football. So those situations, you know, throughout them all, you know, I've always been refining my stubby dutch steady habits, you know, trying to find ways to create some mental reps. If I'm not getting the reps and I am getting the reps, I'm getting able to.
Speaker 1: Get a lot more reps lately.
Speaker 8: We're always finding ways than to talk about you know, what if, what if situations I could ocur on the field. So you know, as like team progress, man, get more reps under my belt, it will only get more.
Speaker 7: Efficient, only more efficient. And as we progress through these weeks, there's a potential of Justin Jefferson returning. I know that's a name you probably have heard before a few times. You've obviously met him here at the facility. What would it be like to be able to get him back for you for this offense in the coming weeks?
Speaker 1: Man, it will be awesome.
Speaker 8: Obviously, watching from afar, He's a heck of a playmaker. I was in just short like two weeks last last year, but one of the games was against the Vikings, and I remember, like just standing on the sideline, I watched him like every single rep, just watching his route running, his ability to make plays get open.
Speaker 1: So adding that obviously.
Speaker 8: Back in the offense that is clicking pretty well right now, obviously helps.
Speaker 1: He's a tremendous playmaker.
Speaker 8: It's been but I will say, you know, obviously coming in you know and knowing who he is right it's been awesome just watching the teammate that he is, Like the amount of energy he has on the sideline. We're making plays shoot in practice this week, as he's been able to get back around the team, it's been great to see that energy. And so then having that energy on the field, I know it will only help us continue to make strides for it.
Speaker 4: As Josh Dobbs would Tatum Everett from yesterday immediately following the Vikings victory over the Saints and then this morning after getting his fifth sack yesterday, Pa had to chat with pass rusher dj Wanam correct me if you're wrong here, because I've called all your games that this is the best overall season of your career.
Speaker 2: What what's clicking so well for you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, you know, just over the years. Man, I'll just put it in the work that comes with this game. And I did having guys, you know, saying, mentors like the deal and coaches, you know what I'm saying that being in my corner, man, I'm to be able to put it all together. I feel like, yeah, it's definitely a career year from me, and we're did the game better and I'm saying he said, everyone right.
Speaker 9: And you said some game You said some things after the game yesterday that that I'm gonna want to hit on near the end of this a couple of minutes from now. But you mentioned inspirations like players and coaches. What what does defensive coordinator Brian Flores ask of you? Uh at weekly? And like how does he want you to play?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. He just brings all of my athletic traits out and my potential wants me to drop the covers, which I do on which I'm able to do because of my speed and athleticism obviously rested passion and then played the ryn. You know what I'm saying, Just my experience from having him being my third definson coordinator and just having you know, saying, two other decents of coordinators has allowed me to put all that together in this system and Coursorea has allowed me to flourish within his scheme.
Speaker 9: Okay, And now to another coach, because you have a new outside linebackers coach this year, and you know Mike Pett and the assistant head coach, former defensive coordinator with the Jets, head coach with the Browns. I mean Mike's been around the block and he got thrust he got thrust into this position early in the season. So like working with coach Mike Petton, how how has that helped you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: It's just his experience.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: He has a big overview of what's going on, you know what I'm saying football, and does him allowing us to see what offenses are doing before it even happens, or just him him allowing us to just see what you know what I'm saying different like schemes and little small things at the offensive lineman and quarterbacks do just to allow us to know what's coming before it happens. And just him having that allows us to go out there and play even faster.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: DJ, In basically half a decade, you know, you've seen a lot and and what I'm getting at here is I mean, really myself, nobody has seen what is happening here with this third quarterback and now all of a sudden, we have a quarterback who can pass and oh, by the way, if you sleep on him, he'll run for one hundred on you. And the defense is completely in anything we haven't seen either.
Speaker 2: So so with all of.
Speaker 9: That, sad, through all of that, DJ do you find the best leaders are the ones who stay calm, and I'm talking I guess it would be coaches mostly, but those who stay calm, those who don't panic, and those who don't like hyperventilate in very difficult situations. Are you learning that those truly are the best leaders.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent? Uh, nobody can think when they're one hundred percent emotional, angry, anything. You can't think your best when you're at that state. So just being able to be calm and being able to maintain this on the fly, like coach Flordes and coach Ko whether they do on the weekend and week out basis, then it's really just showing up on the defense, you know what I'm saying. Even their last job, the Saint Like, we didn't panic, you know what I'm saying, We will calm entire entire job. And we went out there and made plays and we had to.
Speaker 2: All right, last morment, we got a minute.
Speaker 9: I heard Tata Everett with Vikings dot Com interview you from the locker room yesterday when I was driving home and paraphraser what you said, I just thought of not only was it touching, but I mean you just really opened the vein here when you're like how much you guys love each other and how much you don't fear change, and.
Speaker 2: And you know they're there. There is an overhaul.
Speaker 9: There are things that are happening within a season that even you never have seen. But it's how tight you guys are is what's helping you win games.
Speaker 2: Okay, can you elaborate on that a little bit?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Man, Just the brotherhood that we built, you know, saying over the years and us being able to obviously adding key pieces over the years, but us like having like the nucleus of the same guys that have been here for two and three years and just us hanging out, you know what I'm saying, doing things that don't even relate to football, and we'll saying going out and just exploring, don't say in Minnesota and us evening becoming closer brothers. That way has allowed us to go out on the field and be like, Yo, man, I'm gonna play this guy to my right, I'll play to this guy on my level because I know that he's been through this and he's been through that, and saying I know that I can trust him in the situation. Just allowing us to build that relationship house man, it's just you. You can tail on the field. We play for one another. When one guy's go down, it's another guy ready to step up and go in and execute a job at the same level. And you know what I'm saying, there's just disguise a limit for us.
Speaker 4: As DJ wantam with Pa during nine to noon today, it wraps up Vikings Rewind presented by Omni Viking Lakes and you know what, you can rediscover fun again an Omni Viking Lakes Hotel.
Speaker 2: The playlist is endless.
Speaker 4: They're just steps from the Vikings headquarters and training facility. Book online go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes and the Vikings are six and four and everything's kind of fun right now.
Speaker 2: Five in a row. Josh Dobbs, look's awesome.
Speaker 4: Justin Jefferson on the verge of returning Willie return this Sunday at Denver next up at the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 2: It's Sunday Night Football and we.
Speaker 4: Got a cover for you all week leading to kickoff on Sunday evening.
Speaker 2: I'm Nordo.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to Vikings Rewind on k F A N and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network,