Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Joe Wisenthal and I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: Tracy, I think one of the most interesting dynamics going on right now is that you have a White House and a lot of people in both parties, but specifically the White House right now, that are very set on reindustrializing manufacturing in the US. At the same time, actually existing US manufacturers are talking about, Wait, everything you're talking about is throwing our business into extreme chaos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we've had a lot of anecdotal evidence so far of this happening. So we've already mentioned at this point the Dallas Fed Energy Survey and a bunch of businesses in the oil patch saying that things are slowing down, they're having difficulty planning for long term capital investments. There was one anonymous company that basically said they were asked by a Canadian client if they could move production to Canada, which again seems to be the opposite of what you would assume the Trump administration is trying to achieve here. We've talked to Rian Peterson about factories slowing down production and things like that. And I think the big question here is, Okay, tariffs are on pause, but are we going to see lingering issues, lingering uncertainty because the assumption of business people is Trump could always turn them back on he could always start threatening them. And then the other thing I would ask is, there's actually so many questions that you could ask about all of this. But Trump keeps talking about how he wants to do both basic industrial manufacturing in the US, but also every once in a while he talks about, you know, doing really advanced stuff, and he wants to do everything I guess, and it seems really difficult to me to thread the needle between like very expensive high tech stuff where you have to pay people a lot, and then very I don't want to say it's cheap, because factories still cost quite a lot, but less expensive basic stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I want to set up a factory in the United States that's at the cutting edge of production.
Speaker 4: But some of the.
Speaker 2: Tools I might need for my factory might be made in Germany, or maybe they're made in China or Vietnam. And this seems like an issue. A couple of days ago, we had headlines a company called has, which I have to admit I had not heard of. They make c and see lathes talking about how they were like canceling over time, pausing all hiring, et cetera. Anyway, remember we were out in San Francisco and we visited Impulse Labs. They make that amazing stove. We had this great steak and boils water in like two seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was so good.
Speaker 2: Like that stove seemed like one of those products that I would expect to see on TikTok from a Chinese propaganda video about how good they have it over here. But it's actually an American company like that, I said, think it actually exists here, and I kind of want to know what building that stove is like in a world of teriff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and looking back on it now that we have Trump as president, there are a bunch of broader themes that it definitely touches on. So it's an electric stove, as you mentioned, electric battery in it. Yeah, electric versus gas has been in the midst of the culture war at various times recently. But then also it feeds into green technology. We're not really certain how Trump feels about green tech. He wants America to do cool stuff, presumably make cool products, but does that include electric things, batteries, green stuff? Again, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, let's find out some more.
Speaker 2: He cooked us an amazing steak several months ago, but now we're not tager steak. We're talking about the reality of us manufacturing. Back on the show, Sam Dimico, founder and CEO of Impulse Labs. Sam, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good morning everyone. It's been a fun week or so.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoying it in the news business. If you're having fun, I'm at least relieved that someone in industry is also enjoying it. Let's start with this question. Listeners can go back and check out our episode where we ate this amazing steak, and like I said, you make this amazing stove and it hits a battery in it and boils water in two seconds and it will never burn an egg. All this stuff, but just describe, like what do you build here? And what are the inputs of the stove, where do they come from? And then what do you assemble?
Speaker 5: So this is a really good question because you'll you might see how my brain works, because I'll like build it up from the base lego layer up. I'll try to avoid that because our listeners love this stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Basically, think of this like you mashed a Tesla power wall, so like a Tesla home battery product with an induction stove with like a tablet computer, and then a bunch of sensor technology that requires us to do custom ceramic parts and other things that aren't in the normal induction stove supply chain.
Speaker 4: So that sounds like a lot.
Speaker 5: And what that means is the surface area of the types of stuff we touch as inputs is quite substantial. It is probably the best way to put it. It's like everything from lithium ion battery cells all the way to those customer ceramic parts in our temperature sensor which lets you hold exact temperature in the pan, to like chips, some of which are made in the United States, but most are not packaged in the United States, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: So where are you actually getting these things from? Like walk us through I guess the evolution of your suppliers, because I imagine it must have changed a little bit over time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'll go through kind of like the transition of the company, because this is like key to kind of understanding how to build complex hardware. There's an Elon tweet I think it's actually a reply, but it's buried in the replies, but basically says the factory is the product. And this is incredibly true, where basically your supply chain is how you build stuff. It's kind of like you're picking a bin of legos effectively, and those legos may mostly already exist, and you try to minimize the number of new parts you have to make because like making a new Lego brick is complicated and requires you to make a new injection mold in that case. But if you've got a bin of legos, and that bin of legos is expansive and cheap, and then there's a lot of experience with team knowing how to put those legos together, like you have huge tailwinds and advantages. So basically first year or so of the company, we essentially built prototypes of like what we expected to need. And so the example there would be like we built like a single heating element temperature controlled stove prototype that ran off a battery that we sourced from like some low volume battery manufacturer or build ourselves. We needed to get the architecture right. We needed to know how to build the product like from a like it's almost like the specs you see on like best buy dot com. You kind of needed to figure out what those were and maybe some of the high level stuff and also enough to tell like your industrial designer and industrial designer is like the Johnny Ive type character that like defines how the product looks and feels and kind of like the interaction model and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So we need to do that prototyping.
Speaker 5: But then at that point we basically were like, Okay, we know what we're going to make roughly, we don't know how we're going to make it exactly. Let's go start talking to what I call contract manufacturers to like help us basically bring this thing to production. And we're still like around twenty five people as a small team. There's a couple of different ways to actually go and design and build a product, and I think this is something that is not well understood even by hardware founders in many cases. So if you're a defense tech founder, your options are cut out for you because you can't go overseas and have a Chinese company or a cream company or a Taiwanese company co design the product.
Speaker 4: With you because that violet export controls.
Speaker 5: So you see hardware founders talk about this, there's kind of a I would I would almost call it like a split between folks that can use the consumer hardware supply chains and folks who can't.
Speaker 4: And so base we had kind of a choice.
Speaker 5: We'd go to like appliance contract manufacturer, or we could go to a consumer electronics contract manufacturer. And we basically realized it was easier to teach the consumer electronics guys how to do the specific appliance stuff because a lot of this faciliar plant stuff is handling large sheet metal parts and like big boxes and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So we went to a.
Speaker 5: Consumer electronics manufacturer and then effectively co opted their entire R.
Speaker 4: And D team to help US co design the product.
Speaker 5: But the advantage of this approach is that we got to essentially co design it through their supply chain and their existing supplier relationships. We did not have to boot up that from scratch, which would have taken us I don't know, fifty to one hundred people, because we would have had, like, there's all these subdisciplines in hardware, and even if you only need to fractionally use them, like use zero point one percent of them or something like that. Well, that would be one headcount if you did it in the United States, or did it or even if you did it in Mexico and just were going alone. And so that's how we've actually been able to maintain a really small team.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing the it sounds like the appliance manufacturer I'm guessing is in China. Talk to us about what is the You know, there is this existing manufacturing tech supply chain in the United States, as you said, it's centered around defense for good reason. You can't outsource that stuff. Talk to us about that capacity that exists in the United States currently or that could you know, like we hear the Gundo and all of these defense tech companies in southern California that are doing cool stuff. Talk to us about like these different options.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm a friend and investor with a number of these folks. So it's actually really interesting to be like, look, what they're doing is admirable, but the volumes here are different by orders of magnitude. Okay, so let's actually put startups on the shelf, because instantly the startups will need like substantial public private partnership money to really scale, so it's a volume and some of that stuff is actually, to my knowledge is like potentially forthcoming, which is pretty exciting. But I need capacity now, so where would I go in the US to do it? And it's basically there's a couple different categories of contract manufacturer in the United States. The most famous ones are Jabel and Flextronics, and I actually this is over ten years ago. I've worked with Jabel on a project that was a I'll be ambiguous here, but you can figure it out if you poke a bit, but a ambitious ahead of its time augmented reality project okay, but effectively like there was a decision to make something like this in the United States. Also, Motorola successfully did a bunch of stuff in the United States as well, and historically always did. The issue is into the twenty tens, and this must be a I think the Great Financial Crisis was actually a much bigger story to this than any sort of like China trade policy decision. It was like the Great Financial Crisis plus China blasting through with investment in manufacturing was the real story. But effectively, none of these companies deal with startups anymore or if they do, it's specific kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So I remember when we were in San Francisco and you were making that very very good stake for us. We asked you about tariffs, right because they were already floating around, given what was happening with election odds between Trump and his competitor, and now here we are.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I think at the time we were talking about twenty percent, and you seemed kind of like confident that you could handle that. I think you said that that was your assumption that we were going to have tariffs, and that if they came online, you were going to be prepared, and you'd already been doing some stuff to handle it. I know what we've seen on China is dramatically higher than twenty percent so far, but how well positioned do you feel for something like that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I have a funny story, is one of our key suppliers cut prices enough to almost compensate for these tariffs as it. So China's reaction to some of this, by the way, is like I don't know if it's state subsidy or like they're viewing this stuff as temporary and like some of these let's call it well funded companies is like, no, they can power through it and not upset their existing supply relationships. But my sense is like there's something else that people aren't really factoring in, which is just how expensive the US is versus everything else. So, like, we got a lot of requests from consumers for like they're like, I have a thirty six inch stove, but I want to take it out and put an impulse in, which is thirty inch.
Speaker 4: How do you solve that problem?
Speaker 5: So we ended up designing and building an adapter that you can just put in and then you put our thirty inch stoven and it looks pretty nice too, And hopefully that goes on the website relatively soon. But I'm maybe spoiling this from marketing team. But basically we quoted that out in the US because we're like, this is a stamped sheet metal part, we should just be able to do that. In the US, that's simple seven hundred dollars, and it was like sub two hundred in China. So from a tariff standpoint, I don't know, Trump needs to up to hundre percent or something like that.
Speaker 2: So this is the headline American manufacturer who is heavily reliant on Chinese parts. Trump increased the terriff for three hundred percent. Now I'm just kidding, but anyway, go on, go on.
Speaker 5: But that's that's a simple seat metal part and you can imagine simple shoot. Yeah, And then I kind of like was like why and this was a Bay Area vendor. I won't dox them because they're actually great, but who are their customers? And it's like, if your customers are like Google street view vehicles, medical device companies that make like yeah, LiPo, like not liposeection, but those like cool.
Speaker 4: Sculpting machines, oh yeah, and like.
Speaker 5: Defense companies, you probably don't have cost sensitive customers. And the volumes and mixed level like when you get a big order from a customer, it's one hundred unit, it's not like one hundred thousand units. And so a lot of the US manufacturing capability is like exquisite and medium or low volume, or if it's high volume, it's incredibly automated and not retooling. So like, yeah, there's giant injection molding firms in the US that make like lawn shares or whatever, but like, good luck being able to call them up and being like can you make me like the underside enclosure for my stove or something like that.
Speaker 4: They'd be like, no, go away. So that's the point of like China.
Speaker 5: Being like extremely eager to take your business even if you're like a crank startup founder like me, versus the US being like almost like actively dissuading you from talking to them.
Speaker 2: I've heard this, Like people will say, like, you know, you can WhatsApp the uh maker of some factory owner at one in the morning. I saw some tweets about this at one in the chat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can chat the factory owner like one in the morning and they'll get back to you with a quote in like five minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I've gotten battery vendors email me cold being and these guys like represent fairly large scale battery vendors. They're like email me cold and they're like, what's your spec? And I just like email them back like three lines and then I get like a quoted design from them.
Speaker 3: It's weird, okay, just on the pricing note, I mean, it does feel like the outlook for American inflation certainly depends on how companies decide to pass on or not pass on all these additional tariff costs. Do you get the sense that some of that depends on your relationship with your supplier and how important you are for that business. So I imagine, for instance, we've had news this week saying that Walmart is trying to negotiate even lower prices with its Chinese suppliers. I don't think it's been successful just yet, but you can imagine Walmart is a huge, huge, gigantic business and a really important one for a lot of Chinese companies. So maybe they'll end up being successful at it versus a startup that's only making a limited volume. Maybe the suppliers don't care about that business that much and we'll treat it differently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, I mean I think there's a couple questions going on too, because again, China runs a different industrial policy, Like there's kind of this debate on the tariff side, but it's like what is trying to actually do? And could we rerun their playbook? And it's like China has the equivalent of like state level champions. It's almost like bid is like Guandong Province's champion, so you can be like that's California's champion, and then c ATL is like Texas is champion kind of thing, and the money flows from this national government into the provincial governments. The provincial governments actually like are the ones helping boost a lot of these things because there's almost like delegated control. But what this means is there's an aspect of competition here where in China. It's not just like especially at the Walmart level, like you're in competition with your rival province to get that business.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: This is a really important aspect of Chinese capitalism that I think people don't really realize is how intensely the province levels compete with each other. And you know we have that here right like you.
Speaker 3: Know, I think we'll have more of it here.
Speaker 5: But the thing but people don't understand the way the works there different. It's like because it's a single party system. Yeah, it's almost like Gavin Newsom's boss is Donald Trump, vers is their arrivals with different systems.
Speaker 2: This is a really important point. The governors of American states are incentivized to win re election. The provincial leaders in China are incentivized to rise up within the Chinese Communist Party, and they do that based on various goals that are set. And so even though you have some analogy of state versus state competition with exists here and on service that might have looked like provincial competition, the reality is that in the US system, it's not obvious that any given governor is actually optimizing for economic performance as opposed to reelection. And of course sometimes that might be correlated good economy more likely to be reelected, but certainly not at all. And I think this is like a very interesting difference. But let's say we accept this premise and I kind of do that is not great for the world to be so dependent on China for manufactured goods, et cetera, Like is there a middle path here? Like what would you're Okay, someone hears this from the White House, Like, Sam, you're into manufacturing, You've worked with all these companies. We want to be able to have a competitive stovemaker here in the US that doesn't have to rely on a sheet metal company in China or a final assembly in China. Like give us some outlines of what you think needs to be fixed here or dressed addressed here.
Speaker 5: So let's actually look at who has solved this problem. Okay, Yeah, what BS he had to deal with. It's funny that when I say who and then I use.
Speaker 4: This single, we all know it's Elon.
Speaker 5: We know we all know it's Elon, And so how the ever living crap this guy pull us off? Yeah, and I think I've spent way too much time thinking in reverse engineering this because it's really important. But I'll use a very simple example. Do you all remember when people were making fun of him for building a factory any tent in the Fremont parking lot.
Speaker 2: I do remember the tent. People shouldn't made fun of him, especially in retrospect.
Speaker 5: I mean it was it worked, so to refresh this for the list. This was like during the Tesla Model three ramp. They realized they like over automated and over complicated the factory with exquisite shit. They then were like, this line is misconfigured and we can't fix it because there's not enough room in the building. But the problem is if you wanted to build a building next to it, Let's just say that California is a den of vipers and those vipers' names are Nimbi's and you would not be able to permit a new building in the time that it would take or in Tesla's remaining time left, if that makes any sense. Yeah, and you probably couldn't get it done in three years, even just because we've essentially made building in the built world next to engineers illegal effectively, because like if it's a rich area, there are nimbi's, and the nimbi's have infinite power. And so what Elon did was he realized, you know what those like graduation tents or like the tents they.
Speaker 4: Put over the.
Speaker 5: Football stadiums in like the Winner, like you go one of the and they basically just put it in the parking lot, and they moved all the factory and they set up a mostly manual line to continue producing model trees and ended up working. They ended up reconfiguring the line inside, and the company didn't die. But there's a million examples of this where it's kind of like Elon versus the built world, where he just decided to say no and figure out some sort of like I wouldn't call it illegal, but like almost illegal loophole. And then he also assembled probably the best team in litigation in terms of like permitting and all that type of stuff. So he's gotten an advantage versus everyone else in terms of busting through all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Hey, an almost illegal loophole is still illegal loophole, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like you have to be kind of like a goblin here, right, Like you gotta be like, okay, let's figure out this tension of parking lot thing that a mere mortal wouldn't have gotten that dring. It's like you basically have to be out in space where like these ideas would just be laughed at by like a mere mortal here.
Speaker 4: Right. Wait.
Speaker 3: So the other thing that Elon is kind of well known for doing is a lot of vertical integration over the years, so you know, not just sourcing supply from overseas and particular companies, but actually controlling all those different stages of production, having investments in some of those companies so that he can order whatever he wants at the scale he wants, however fast he wants. Is that something that could potentially happen as some of these tariffs get ratcheted up, or is the concern for companies that, you know, maybe you invest in a Chinese supply, well, I don't even know if you could buy a Chinese supplier. I don't think you could buy it wholesale. But let's say you invest in, I don't know, a Mexican company, Suddenly Trump changes his mind on something. There's a lot of uncertainty over how he feels about international capital flows. All of that is that a risk or is vertical integration one possible solution to some of the pressures we've been talking about.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I'll always blunt and say that I'm not sure if anyone's going to make any decisions in this direction within the next ninety days unless they've got insider information.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's that's for one.
Speaker 5: Like I think, I think basically, like the frothiness of the current situation makes it hard to plan ahead. And I'll say that, like you know from my position as well. But yeah, vertical integration is clearly I mean, there's like two different types of vertical integration. And I think what I would caution people is like a lot of tech founders take after Elon literally but not understanding why, like the real reasons why. So I'll say, where you can get screwed by vertical integration is like it's I was hinting at this earlier, but basically, let's imagine I build something like the stove and I obviously there's metal parts in there, so I need like a metal tooling designer to like design the stamping tools that like end up stamping at metal parts. But let's imagine I only need that tooling designer for like a month for the whole program for two years, and so if I vertically integrate, like I go and hire that person to work on my team, there's no way that someone's going to go work for me for two months. And if I end up stocking up every discipline I would need to basically be fully self sufficient, I might have one hundred to two hundred people and be burning hundreds of millions of dollars on a program, which is fine if I'm building stuff at the scale of Elon, right like if I If I'm doing it that way, it's like SpaceX can likely fill that tooling engineer's time with a million different things, not just like one model of starlink dish, But me, as a much smaller startup, cannot do that.
Speaker 3: You know, you mentioned how you don't think anyone is making major decisions right now, and we started out this conversation talking about whether or not all this back and forth on tariffs was going to generate long term uncertainty, and we know that the one thing both the business industry and markets actually hate is a lot of uncertainty. What would it take for you to, I guess, feel better about making some long term plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, I mean this also goes to I can also mention the vertical integration side of this for a little bit as well, which is like the level of vertical integration we did was basically like we control every aspect of our supply chains. It's not like if we go and move stuff, we still know how like all the subcomponents are designed, which is very different from how like stoves are normally assembled, which are closer to like pre Testla cars, And so our ability to kind of like have control and micromanagement of the whole of everything that goes in the product is unique, despite the fact that there are layered sub suppliers and stuff like that. But yeah, that said, like my senses, as soon as there are deals going in place in like cell the East, Asia or Mexico, like we're not realizing that there's gonna be some random Mexico tariffs or something like that, this gets a lot easier in terms of constraints because like we were very conscientious to select our suppliers to make sure that we were able to locate manufacturing somewhere that was lower zero tariff. But yeah, the big issue too is like I think the fact that the tariffs were seen as while accomplishing multiple goals, meant that they couldn't succeed in any way. And the example I would give is like, why are we taxing inputs for domestic manufacturers. I went and actually looked at this right now, and I'm like, I want to manufacturing the United States something.
Speaker 4: I'm like dead set on doing that at some point.
Speaker 5: If I imported my bomb build of material, so like the list of crap that's in your product, if I imported that to the US and started manufacturing it right now, it's like I'm sub just that China one and twenty five percent tariff. I'm not magically going to get a ceramics vendor that knows how to make our temperature sensor tomorrow. It's going to take probably six months to figure out and qualify vendor. Plus, like you're not guaranteeing the same process. So like standing up a factory takes like eighteen months for the stuff and it's sort of recursive down the supply chain. So like if I was suggesting some of the administration, it would be like, we should figure out a way where you can basically get all of the input tariffs refunded and then maybe figure out like how to move the levels of abstraction down over time, because like doing final assembly of our stove is like it's not something where like we need to rely on cheap labor or anything like that. It's like it's like the hard steps are mostly automated. The expensive subcomponents assemblies is almost completely automated, like the circuit boards and stuff like that. Like, this is not something that is like hard, like impossible to move to the US, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: This actually strikes me as a very interesting phenomenon, which is that when people think about the constraints to US production, they say, oh, our labor is more expensive. What you're saying is so many which more interesting. What you're saying is that it's not that the labor is expensive. It's not that there's like a bunch of expensive assembly line labor. It's that what little labor there is are well paid people, and well paid people are Nimbi's and Nimbi's don't like new factories, and that that is the dynamic, not on the floor wage costs, but the political economy of the people running advanced plants preventing the production of the advanced plants.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually, I would even be like, you're like, why can't we have Shenjin in the United States? Yeah, well you would need to put it in the Bay Area because that's where that's where the engineers that are like the challenges.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Dean Preston's going to block you is the story.
Speaker 5: Because also, by the way, like if you go look at kind of like the Sierra Club breed of Nimby, like those folks are starting to actually get more favorable towards housing construction, but when they hear the word factory, they assume like the river has turned yellow, not like, yeah, we make some trash and it gets trucked out into a landfill like consumer ly trins factory. It's like Amazon warehouse like in terms Basically, the thing is these factories are more like Amazon warehouses in terms of industrial emissions than like probably less actually because there's no vehicles driving through it. Then the like heavy industry plants of your and the labor situation looks more like again like an Amazon warehouse than the Triangle shirtwaist factory or whatever. And we clearly allow Amazon warehouses in our communities, so.
Speaker 4: Why not this.
Speaker 5: But basically the thing is if you go to Byd or similar places and you go to the HQ and you see all their lineup of amazing vehicles, and like you go inside their showroom, there's just like they literally build everything. Yeah, you walk outside and directly across the street there are high rise apartment buildings for the workforce. Contrast that with Tesla where they're Fremont Factory. You walk outside and it's all low rises. The Tesla does not control. And then you go and ask the factory workers where they're coming from, and they're all coming from like the Central Valley. They're commuting two hours a day plus to work at a factory because there is not enough housing that is affordable for those factory wages.
Speaker 3: Well, Elon also wants his workers to sleep in the office in the factory. Right. And also, I mean in America, I would assume we're kind of talking about company towns here, like corporate compounds for employees in America. That's I think a lot of people might push back on that.
Speaker 5: Well, so I'll give an example of this where if you want cheap, the problem effectively is like, so Shanzen actually has an interesting conundrum that is worth discussing here because in China the primary savings vehicle is also real estate, right almost to a fault, and they almost have like let's call it like universal prop thirteam, Like they don't really have property texts.
Speaker 4: You buy the thing and it just like you hold it.
Speaker 5: And because of that, home prices are really expensive, like we're talking million plus in Shanzhen. No problem, And so how do you actually get workers, some of which are paid like and by the way, the engineers at these factory detention are are not paid super well. But like you can imagine with purchasing power parity whatever, it's like it's even like sixty seventy K in the United States kind of thing is probably the way to put it. But like, imagine I wanted to get a sixty K junior engineer working at Tesla's factory in Fremont today, there's a housing price issued convincing them to move to the Bay Area, right, And so in a sense, it's like the US needs to solve housing near where the top technical talent is.
Speaker 4: And then one way to.
Speaker 5: Solve that housing problem without running into let's call it people being upset their home prices have gone down, is to do this factory town factory compound approach, where like you have to work at Tesla to get the Tesla housing, which then means that the Tesla housing doesn't necessarily deflate Palo Alto households or whatever.
Speaker 2: I just have one last question, which is you talked about how in you know, in the versioning defense tech sector and other areas public private partnership. I don't know if there's new administration has any interest in that. It doesn't seem like it, but maybe on defense I wouldn't be surprised. But talk to us about like VC funding and their demands and their willingness or unwillingness to sort of fund Basically, where's the funding come from for real risky upfront capital outlay if we're talking about US manufacturing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, I mean, I think some folks successfully raise for this in like twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, but there's like it's honestly, there's a missing piece here, right, So the problem is the US has an awesome stock market well until this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But basically, if.
Speaker 5: I want a three x return on something, there are a million different competing things to do, So I have to be uniquely obsessed with reindustrialization to like kind of do something like that, like basically build a plant that maybe three x's or something like that. It does not have VC shape returns, is the problem. Yeah, and their LPs are folks that are allocating into other types of businesses or other types of investment vehicles, not just VC that have those return profiles. So it's this weird game of like the VC mandate is to basically fund advanced technologies with disproportionate return, But hey, I want to build a lift the m myron phosphate battery plant. We still we seem to keep not succeeding at that because you don't have like an advantage versus a Chinese plant. But if I had went and invented like a new type of battery material that three x is my energy density, a VC would love to back that.
Speaker 4: But even then it's like do you invent that? How do you actually get.
Speaker 5: Enough funding to build a plant to supply that to all the automakers, you end up in this missing what I think it's called like a missing middle situation. And maybe this is more of an ask of private equity, but like we need to get a little more ambitious here, and maybe the right answer is like the government plus private equity plus the banks need to get together and figureigure out how to address some of these gaps. Basically Elon again, I'll go pick on Elon because he's again he's the only got.
Speaker 4: To figure this out.
Speaker 5: It's traditionally been the case where like you need to figure out the kind of like increasingly growing lily pads to hop to when you're like a frog. Yeah, and eventually you get to a big one. But this is not how like we built giant factories in World War Two. It's like, this is not how we did this sort of scale out in the past, requiring sort of like you're almost like not doing the thing you eventually need to do going you have to kind of.
Speaker 4: Keep growing again.
Speaker 5: I think Elon has solved this by being his own fund in a sense, like he raises from VC, but in some sense he's like an aggregation point where he's like the general partner of Elon Industries.
Speaker 4: Effectively, and that's a hybrid VCP fund.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Demiko, perfect guest to talk right now. Thank you so much for coming back on odd Lunch.
Speaker 4: That was great. Thanks for hosting Tracy.
Speaker 2: In that conversation, we talked about Nimbi's and Yimbie's provincial competition between China and how that compareson contrast versus state competition, the limits to VC funding models in terms of domestic reindustrialization. We hit a lot there that was a very like that was a media Odd Lots conversation.
Speaker 3: There was so much there. I really thought, you know, sound was going to come on and be like, oh, yeah, we're looking for a new supplier in a country that is not China, or we're thinking about maybe switching some production domestically. That didn't come up, which kind of tells you something. But yeah, he hit some pretty big structural themes I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is just the thing, like a lot of people accept this premise that the US should not be so dependent on China for various manufactured.
Speaker 3: Goods, right and others as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this was big under the Biden administration, is obviously big under Trump.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 2: Many people are concerned about this, but like when you just look at the reality of actually existing supply chains, that doesn't exist, and like, okay, like these immediate tariffs go into plays, they don't exist, and I think, you know, look, we're recording this right now, April tenth to eleven forty seven. We see the Nasdaq it's down four point eight percent again after Wednesday's big rally. It's sort of I think today is about syncing in. Even with all else aside, this gigantic tariff on China is massively disruptive and there is no short term path for reshaping supply chains, right.
Speaker 3: And I think the other interesting point that Sam brought up was this idea, well, you know, there is an adjustment cost, and there's a certain amount of time you need to actually make that adjustment to your point, And it would be helpful if the administration maybe a sempted certain things that it thinks are important to the kind of American manufacturing that it wants to actually see that hasn't happened. I don't know why not. I thought it was kind of funny. Did you see, So the US has been importing more eggs because of egg prices, egg shortages, and apparently those are going to be tariff too, so kind of kind of weird.
Speaker 2: The Elon tenth story, I did not realize so interesting that actually was. I thought I sort of thought it was like, Oh, they didn't have space in the factory, so they're like throw this, And I did not realize that that was actually a story about zoning, permitting, et cetera, and that that was really about finding some loophole in the law to stand up a manufacturing facility rather than go through like a multi year process. That's fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: Did you never have to like be in a sort of outflow like trailer while you were at school, Oh, because they were working on something or there wasn't any more room, they couldn't build any new space. That happened a lot to me. Yeah, So I kind of imagine Elon doing the same. On that note, shall we leave it there?
Speaker 4: Let's leave it there.
Speaker 3: This has been another episode of the Audlots podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Chracy Alloway and.
Speaker 2: I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me at the Stalwart. Follow our guest Sam Dimico, He's at s Dimico. Follow our producers Kerman Rodriguez at Kerman armand dsh I'll Bennet at dashbot and Kilbrooks at Kale Brooks. For more odd Loss content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots, where we have a daily newsletter and you can check out all of our episodes and you can chat about all of these topics twenty four to seven in our discord discord dot gg slash hot Lots.
Speaker 3: And if you enjoy odd Lots, if you like it when we check in on the manufacturing of electric stoves in the face of sweeping tariffs, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely ad free. All you need to do is find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcast and follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening.