Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Danets. Dan Patrick Show got off to a different, strange, maybe curious start to the show because I turned off a basketball game last night Texas Tech and Cincinnati only because of the sound, the sound of the rim every time these players missed a shot, I couldn't take it. So then I'm watching Duke Duke against Notre Dame and I'm thinking, uh, what happened here? I mean at Notre Dame. Notre Dame hasn't lost a game that badly at home. I got to get this straight. I think it's eighteen ninety eight. Eighteen, yeah, eighteen ninety eight. Notre Dame lost by forty four points, worst home loss since they lost to Chicago First Regiment sixty four to eight. That was in eighteen ninety eight. They had a good team back then. Chat of the Day brought to you by Penane America, the official trading cards of the program. The second Regiment was really good as well for that Chicago team. Uh So we did reach out to Texas Tech as you would expect the IT team, because I needed, you know, some kind of investigation into the sound of the rim there. If I was a big time recruit as much as Texas Tech loves their basketball and that environment's great, I wouldn't go there because of the sound of the rim.
Speaker 3: And you may change your mind after you hear the report Texas Tech Basketball. The Deputy ad Jonathan Butro sent down staffers. They checked both rims and both are functioning properly. They went back and listened to the broadcast and they think it's Mike implication amplification and it was not anything wrong with the rims.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: He added that he will ask, Yeah, blame the networks, classics.
Speaker 2: Not my fault, blame the TV.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: He also said he's going to ask the shooters on the team to stop missing.
Speaker 2: You. I couldn't take it. They didn't miss that many shots. They scored any points. Well, Cincinnati missed shots. Yeah, now that was the problem. I'm just going I can't take it. Like I can accept the little think in you know, college World Series, but this being a you know shooter, I had a problem with it. And I'm going on, let me let me check on the Duke game and I go there is no game there. I was waiting for Hannah Hidalgo to come out on the floor for Notre Dame to help him out. Yes, Todd, can you watch a.
Speaker 5: Basketball game with no audio? Or was it because you said, like you kind of you rather stop watching it all together than to maybe just.
Speaker 2: Well, trying to familiarize myself with these teams. You know, Cincinnati just had a big win against Kansas. Like I'm trying to learn. You know, who's my sleeper? You know that eight nine game. You know I'm gonna pick? Who am I picking? Twelve five? You gotta get ready?
Speaker 6: How you do a crash course like that in these last week.
Speaker 2: I'm trying, Yes, I'm trying. Yeah, I should just call up Jay Billis and say, you know, just download me on what's going on.
Speaker 6: We'll pick three ones at a two.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show. More phone calls coming up. We're being inundated with annoying sounds in sports Tyler sitting by, he'll take your phone calls. We'll talk to Pat Forty, our good budding from Sports Illustrated and he was over in Italy covering the Olympics. We'll talk to him about that experience here in a little bit. We'll also bring back some of the sounds some of the interviews yesterday with the gms at the Combine, which I always find fun and fascinating because there's really pressing questions that they need to answer, and the gms normally don't get in front of the media, so they're not as media as savvy, and I'm always looking for maybe just a little crack in the window there. Hey, wait a minute, what's he really saying here about Kyler Murray or two a tongue of ioloa or Aaron Rodgers. So we'll have some of that for you coming up. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program, and pick up the T shirt hughes your daddy. It's a failable at Danpatrick dot com. Okay, whole question from the first hour seat.
Speaker 7: And and then hour two honors the uh more annoying sound in sports a tenny rim in basketball or the metal bat in baseball. It's gotten back and forth. It's been about a fifty one percent swinging either way between the tenny rim or the metal bat.
Speaker 2: Very very close, full quest, All right, super close.
Speaker 7: Then we have another one here from Todd would you prefer having an automated system that calls balls and strikes on every MLB pitch.
Speaker 6: Yes or no, I.
Speaker 2: Would lean towards yes. I think you could make this not theatrical, but you could make this part of the broadcast where you're looking up at the jumbo tron and you're going to be able to see what is a ball and a strike. You don't need the umpire to call out ball or strike because soon as the pitch is thrown, you'll look at the jumbo tron and you'll be able to tell if it's a ball or strike if the batter doesn't swing. And I think we're getting closer to this because what we're finding out is, you know, the automatic balls and strikes you know nobody has. You know, there's no human element to that of you know, that guy is a Hall of Famer, I'm going to give him that pitch, or that pitcher he's a Hall of Famer, I'm going to give him that pitch. You don't have that. It's just here the parameters for a strike zone. Now, the TV coverage already gives you sort of a strike zone. You get to see it. But once again, you have to understand that camera is not right behind the pitcher, so it's off to the right hand side of the pitcher, so you don't get a true strike zone. You may go both it's a strike, but in reality it might not be. With the automatic the ABS system, I'm all for it. Let's do it. Put it in place. Now you still need everybody gets caught up with it's a robot. It's not a robot. All it is is a system just like tennis has. Tennis doesn't have any robots, but they have the same parameters of ball in or out. And if you have it, you have to have an umpire there for fair and foul, you know, something on the mound or you know if a batter chips catcher's glove, you know, plays at the plate. You still have to have an umpire there. Take it, take the balls and strikes out of this and make it a production where you put it up on the Jumbo tron and everybody gets to follow along with it. And I think you would be surprised. There was a there were five consecutive calls in a game yesterday where the umpire missed all five in a row. Because they show what the strike zone is and he missed five in a row, and then he got the six to one right and then the crowd cheered. So you can have what you think is a strike zone. I don't want your strike zone. I want our strike zone. Everybody's strike zone. Now, it does change if Altuve or Aaron Judge is up, you have to adjust. But they're able to do this, and they're doing it in the minor leagues, they're doing it in spring training. I'm okay with it. Get the call right. If I can get the call correct, and these umpires do an amazing job because I'm looking at you know, maybe they get ninety six percent of the calls right. That's really at a high level. But if you can get all of them right, balls and strikes, why wouldn't you do that? And I go back to all of the gambling money. You got to get these things right. Now. You still have the human element play at the plate with the Blue Jays and the Dodgers, you still have to have the home plate umpires. So it's not a robot, it's just overhead big brother watching. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: So with this new ABS challenge, we got this from and I'll be Each team starts the game with two challenges. When the batter wants to challenge it, he taps his helmet and a challenge it. So if he gets it wrong, they're down to one challenge. If he gets it wrong again, they're down to zero. But at BT you talked about it. If you get it right when you challenge, you keep your two challenges, and you keep going forward with two challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. Once again, if we have the technology, use the technology, and baseball has the technology, but we get once again, I said this yesterday. We we think it's part of the charm of baseball that you know, that guy has his own strike zonner. Hey, that guy what out, but he called him out. You know, the neighborhood play at Second Bay. Let's just get these calls right, nothing wrong. You still have the human element of this. I don't know if they'll get to and you could, you know, have a reviewable play if there's a force out and you think they missed it, or a tag up, you know for a fly ball sack fly and you can still review that. You can question that. But balls and strikes, let's implement it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's been tested in Triple A, you know, right, So it's not sneaking up on anybody within baseball, and they know exactly how well it works and how it impacts the game.
Speaker 2: Pitch clockworked, right, nobody's complaining about that. There are a lot of things that were introduced to Major League Baseball the last couple of years, and I'm okay with ABS. No, I just I think we the word robot was you know that was introduced. I go, no, No, it's not robotic. All it is is a camera is going to watch. Just make sure that all of the ballparks have the same technology, the same equipment. That's the only thing that I would guard against, because there are times when you'll watch an NFL game they don't have the same number of cameras at a game that let's say it's the Packers against the cow Boys, Well they're gonna have more cameras there, or a playoff game. You just want to make sure that each game is featuring the same kind of equipment. Yes, Todd, So the technology.
Speaker 5: Will will tell the umpire what to call. The umpire will still be able to announce the balls and strikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he wants to go, they're gonna put it up on the jumbo tron or they'll say it in his ear, you know, be like strike ball, because because you do that, great.
Speaker 5: Ye hit cah, I was still gonna have like those sound effects from the umpire, even though it's being told by a computer deciding whether it's a bust paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can do that if you want, because I would you kind of miss that. I like when you do that. Yeah, but you miss the grown man in a baseball uniform going out to home plate and kicking dirt on an umpire. Yes.
Speaker 5: I love what a manager loses their mind. Then they just start throwing bats and balls from the dugout and they get right in the face and cursing out the ump and they got to be held back, and another ump is like trying to calm him down.
Speaker 6: I just think that's great. I'd love it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 6: It's very sad that it doesn't.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's not sad. First of all, you got to a grown man in a baseball uniform. That's always weird. You know, this out of shape guy and he's gonna waddle out there to home plate and he's gonna argue, and I'm gonna turn my hat backwards. And I'm gonna get in your face there. It's stupid, it's hysterical, it's sad, you know, grown man, I'm gonna pick up this base and I'm gonna throw it.
Speaker 8: Oh my god. Yes, yes, marmon, tiny correction. They're all grown men that are playing Major League baseball. But it's just a really grown man, old man, right. Yes, And they got numbers. That was always my big Joe toy. Why are you wearing number six? Why didn't have numbers?
Speaker 2: Man? Yeah, now, I'm okay with I'm okay with a number. Maybe in bank, old managers have the same number. Yeah, but I would not want to see me in a baseball uniform running out the home plate.
Speaker 3: Yes, paul I looked back at the rules for this ABS challenge. The batter has to tap his head immediately after the umpire's call of ball or strike, and if you don't, they could wave it off. You can't pause. Also, the dugout can't tap their heads like, hey, man, tap your head, tap your head. That is not allowed.
Speaker 2: They're not allowed to influence the battery exactly.
Speaker 3: It's in the language. The manager and the other players cannot influence the batter, so can't be any head tapping from the dugout?
Speaker 2: Do you think the Astros will abide by that?
Speaker 9: Move on?
Speaker 2: Move on soon, too soon, move on?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 7: I one, I think, like, just do the automated stuff tapping your head, but you're only allowed to do it twice.
Speaker 2: But if you get it to right, you get to do it. What are we doing? Can you tap your head and rub your stomach at the same time? What are we doing? What we do?
Speaker 7: By the way, I can't stop thinking about like Phil Jackson sitting on the bench in warm ups or something, or wearing his uniform still even though he's a certain age, Like can you imagine if pat Riley instead of the suit and slick back hair, he was in a Lakers uniform or then then a heat Like what are we doing?
Speaker 2: If you if you do that, if they wore warm ups, I'd be okay with it, But I don't want to see some sixty five year old guy's legs there, yes, Todd.
Speaker 5: And there and their jersey tank tap with their big seventy year old muscles. That would be entertained too.
Speaker 7: Andy Reid should be doing, oh, you know, calling the game in a full you know, helmet pads, everything get well.
Speaker 2: He looked like he did in the punt passing kick contest when he was thirteen. What are we doing? Yeah, what are we doing making these coaches where they're in uniform, Yes, Marv.
Speaker 8: And baseball, we're going to get tired of guys tapping their helmets like we get tired of NBA players gesturing, oh you know with the finger. Oh, replay that replay challenge that it's gonna get old real fast.
Speaker 2: Uh JJ in Florida, Hi JJ. Woods on your mind, Dan, good.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: More I'll on the hold.
Speaker 10: I thought of another one, and it's sort of if this or either gets the puck off the post or the opponent, Holy that gets the puck off the boats or the cross bark. That's a good chounce. But the one that really gets to me is at the Toona or talidated when you have the big one and fifteen cars start going sideways down the turn into the wall.
Speaker 9: Crack.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with that. That's exciting. I mean, I don't have If you're not rubbing, you're not racing.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tom, what's gonna happen like in the playoffs or the World Series where it's the last out and instead of having that moment strength, Oh wait, he tapped his head. Old on, you just ruined the whole moment of any I know that's gonna be horrible.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it could be. Oh hold on, he tapped his head.
Speaker 6: You can't get that moment back because he tapped his head. It's over.
Speaker 2: Just ruined the whole last picture of the last ball. Didn't that happen?
Speaker 3: In the Super Bowl twenty eight three comeback, Tom Brady was at the touchdown to James White to win it, and they're like, we got to replay it and look at.
Speaker 2: The video before. I don't think you scored a touchdown. Oh you're still Yeah, I don't think so, but I do think he should have been MVP. Just it's just like Malcolm Butler should have been MVP. Don't get me started. Uh, Steven in New York? Hi, Steven, Hey, how's it going, Dan? Good Bude.
Speaker 9: Best sound in sports is during COVID MMA like UFC.
Speaker 2: Where you're hearing what everything.
Speaker 9: Just yeah, pretty much everything just to contact from the cists, the kicks, just not no crowds around and you can just hear everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know when you hear a punch, I get a fight. I mean, it's just when they connect and all that power and you're just going, I don't know how you survive this? H Do you think is that more your neck? When like when you're.
Speaker 7: Like to be able to survive hits like that and not get just knocked out all the time? Is that like next strength?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've never been punched like that, Yes, Todd, I was at.
Speaker 5: A De la Hoya fight many years ago in La and is when you see like the blood and the swelling of the face and that kind of stuff. Even though you can get an idea watching on TV, besides just the actual punch in the sound, if you get an up close look of what how their face is getting puffy and contorted, that's a whole other story.
Speaker 6: It's very difficult to.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: One of the Paul brothers got his jaw broken, and you know that's when you get punched by somebody who does this for a living. You know, you know there's no fake stuff or maneuvering or scripted or any of that stuff. He got punched, and he that will affect him the rest of his life. Because that's where they like they rearranged your jawline there, and he's gonna have he's gonna have a few surgeries.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he got paid a ton of money. Who's the guy who hit him, Anthony Joshua. Okay, mister Joshua, well dropped them. Man oh man. That one was where you can go. Yeah, okay, you want to be a boxing celebrity or personality, here you go. Just make sure that, I mean, Tyson would have done that if he was allowed to hit Jake Paul. What are you saying. I'm saying I wish Mike would have been able to swing away. Damn.
Speaker 6: I did the best they could.
Speaker 2: Then, come on, thank you, Todd. We'll take a break. More phone calls coming up. I got to get to this NFL stuff, which I will with the GMS because there's a lot of topics. It's too much fun. I know. We are. We stumbled upon this. We're still waiting for Texas Tech to come clean on these basketball rims that they have. They shifted the blame to the TV people typical, Yeah, blame us the talking hairdoos. We're gonna find out exactly why these rims sound so crappy at Texas Tech. Gonna have to go down there and put on I'm a shooting display. We'll take a break. We'll come back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey is Covino and Rich from Fox Sports Radio Now.
Speaker 2: In addition to hearing us.
Speaker 11: Live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, We're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: Yup, that's right.
Speaker 11: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube Again, go to YouTube search Covino and Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away.
Speaker 2: He does it all cover his college basketball, college football, and the Olympics. Pat forty Sports Illustrated senior writer, have you been to Texas Tech like this? Rim is bothering me? I turned off the game line night because of the sound here. Pat, I'm such a loser.
Speaker 12: It is the the one power conference school I haven't been to Okay for some reason, I just can't make myself rush to love it. Okay, But so I can't tell you whether the rim sounds that bad in person as it does on TV.
Speaker 2: Is there an arena where it's noticeable to you, uh, with the with like the rim sound like the clank?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: It just sounds different. There's certain there's And March Madness brings this out too, where you just hear that clank and it drove me crazy last night.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well a lot of times too. March Madness like they're bringing out new rims sometimes because you know that you're playing in a different arena. Maybe they're using the NBA rims, but maybe they're bringing in new ones. So you get all kinds of a variety I guess of rim tones if you will.
Speaker 2: You were in Italy in Milan for three weeks. So ten years from now, the obvious is going to be the men's hockey team that we'll remember, correct, Yeah, okay, without question? What would be the second topic that will remember from these Olympics.
Speaker 12: The women's team and the women's game. I think hockey that was phenomenal. I covered both of those, and the intensity of that game was no less than the men's. I mean, I think like the Canadian fans especially are more bought in on the men's team, but they still support women's hockey and hockey is their birthright sport and they don't see themselves losing and having it be justifiable in any way, shape or formance. Like if the US doesn't win gold in basketball, right, there's no excuses, no justifiable excuses. So the investment is immense there. And the US and the women's tide was so dominant and blew out the Canadians, and you think that's going to be a walkover, and it ended up being this unbelievable dogfight that really mirrored the men's. It was one to one in ot going into overtime, took us spectacular goal to win. So I think that one really stood out to me as well. The skiing, the alpine skiing shifferent and then the horrible, horrible injury to Lindsay Vaughan as well.
Speaker 2: You you know, we made a movie out of the miracle on ice this this hockey team. It played out like it was a movie in real life that's happening here. I mean, I could see Timothy Chalomey playing Jack Hughes with his teeth cracked at the end of it. Johnny Hockey, you know, they bring out Goodrow's jersey, they bring out his kids on the ice, you know, us against Canada. I don't know, it just felt theatrical more than you know, I thought it was going to one.
Speaker 12: Hundred percent cinematic, that's for sure. I mean it was. It was incredible, not just you know, the storylines, but then the way the game played out, and then yes, the the aftermath, the elements. First of all, yes, of the the guy that scores the winning goal getting his face busted open a few minutes earlier, but then yes, the Gaudreau scene was incredible there in person, I ended up standing behind Johnny Hockey's family during the anthem and talking to his dad immediately afterward. And I mean, you want to talk about an emotional scene, and just you know, it was hard for them to be there, really hard for them to be there, but the pride that they had, and then I think the way that they were honored by the team was immensely gratifying for them.
Speaker 2: How surprising was it to actually see them there?
Speaker 12: I was surprised, Like I you know, again, I don't know whether if I were in that situation, it would have the wherewithal to be there for that. But they're a hockey family. I mean, Guy Gudreau, the dad was a player, was a coach. They you know, hockey is in their blood and so they were certainly going to be watching the games anyway. And I think, you know, the the poll or the investment that the invitation that was offered for them to be part of it and in such a meaningful way, I think really sold him on let's let's go ahead and do it. And then to have it turn out that way, I mean, you know, for American Americans to be pretty badly outplayed for a lot of that game and still find a way to win, and then to honor him who You're right, that is theatrical.
Speaker 2: Pat forty Sports Illustrated senior writer and his podcast others receiving votes. I was curious about some of the talent at the combine. You cover college football, and best player you saw this year at any position was who.
Speaker 12: Maybe Jeremiah Love in terms of like I think translation to NFL boy, I look at him and I think that he I'd be really shocked if he missed. I think Fernando Mendoz is awesome. I voted for him to win the Heisman. He's probably gonna be the first pick. But quarterback going into the Raiders in that situation, you know, best of luck to you. Ruben Bain from Miami is another guy who I think is close to can't miss, just incredible motor, violence, instinct, everything, and at a position where there's always a premium on talent for rushing the passer.
Speaker 2: Ty Simpson, you know, I got to see him a couple of times, like a full game, and I was impressed with him. But then at the end of the year, you know, he fell off, the team fell off, he got hurt. But it still feels like you know, supply and demand. There's one it feels like surefire quarterback, and then there's a couple that I don't know. I don't Yeah, and that brings me to somebody is going to jump in the first round probably and draft him, and in any other draft he's probably not a first round pick.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 12: There's a very low supply of good quarterbacks this year, and so he becomes more valuable, and you know, I agree, Look, there are times I thought he played exceptionally well. He would have great games where he would have great stretches of but then by the end of the season he was not very effective. It looked like he lost a lot of his confidence. You know, against Indiana he looked completely perplexed, confused, overwhelmed, and then he ended up getting hurt, you know.
Speaker 2: Quarterback.
Speaker 12: To me, it's such a learning positions. You know, the very few guys just come in and are ready to go right away. And so I think you look at ty Simpson and think, yeah, he can get there, but are you gonna thrust him into a bad position early and risk you know, fracturing his confidence even further than it seemed like it happened at Alabama. I don't know, you know, that's one of those things. That's why they pay gms to kind of do that calculus of how soon do we need somebody who's probably not ready.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's an aberration. I don't know if it's just a stretch here, but it suddenly feels like college football runs through the Big Ten and not the SEC. If you're the SEC, you don't have tech money, some have oil money. But how do you counter the Big Ten moving forward?
Speaker 12: It's a great question because there really is been. There has been an undeniable shift, right. They've won three different three straight national champions who with three different teams the kind of thing the SEC used to do. The SEC hasn't had a team in the championship game the last three years. And yes, the pockets tend to be deeper with alumni bases at those huge, relatively academically prestigious Midwestern universities, Eastern, you know some to the West too, they're all over the place now with the Big ten. I think what you have to do is get back to proof of concept and say we will pay you enough so that you're getting you're getting a good college living, but we're gonna get you to the NFL where you're gonna make a great college living.
Speaker 2: You've got to be able.
Speaker 12: To show we're gonna put guys in the first round and we're gonna get you those contracts, and you're gonna be rich regardless of You're gonna be kind of rich in college, and then you're gonna be filthy rich afterwards because you've played at Georgia or you've played at Alabama, or you played at Texas.
Speaker 2: But is as simple as some have suggested that hey, you paid players. Now everybody gets paid, therefore you don't have that advantage.
Speaker 12: No, no, no, no, that you know, the oversimplifications of all these things are kind of humorous, you know. I mean, there has been a shift, but that doesn't mean nobody else was cheating.
Speaker 13: I'm relatively aware of what was going on at various different schools, NCAA investigations, what the parking lots looked like in a lot of those football powers that weren't in the SEC.
Speaker 12: Come on, now, it's not that simple to would degree. Yeah, but it's not the factor.
Speaker 2: Okay, you not to name the school, but is there one you know that maybe was egregious in what they were doing? He got a story.
Speaker 12: I mean, I think there are plenty of them in the state of Texas, none of which used to be in the SEC until recently. The West Coast certainly. I mean, look, USC got hit pretty hard. Miami had some spectacular scandals. Everybody remembers Devin Shapiro there. Clemson had some stuff going on back in the day. So you know, it's happened. It's been around at various places. So I'm not here to say that everybody else was clutching their pearls pristinely while the SEC was wheeling and dealing.
Speaker 2: Okay, but should USC have been punished as harshly as they were for the Reggie Bush situation in retrospect.
Speaker 12: No, no, But that doesn't mean that there wasn't financial reward for going to school there at a time when that was not part of the rules. But no, the penalty was oversized. And that's Look, the history of the NCAA hey has been incredibly inefficient punishment punctuated with overinforcement. Basically every once in a while when they finally get somebody, they overdo it. And I think us he's probably the biggest example of that.
Speaker 2: Well, look back to Jim Tressel. Yeah, that was over tattoos and players, you know, giving trading in their equipment to get you know, like sure costume is.
Speaker 12: To trust a light about it, and that's what That's what.
Speaker 2: I always get you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the the economics of it, we are pretty laughable by what we're looking at today.
Speaker 2: The number one storyline in college basketball is what.
Speaker 12: Uh to me? It is this unbelievable freshman class and whether or not they can get over against some of the more experienced teams in front of them like Michigan and Arizona's got a really good freshman cope, But Michigan has got this kind of juggernaut team that's not relying on the young guys. But then Duke's got Boozer And I mean, so so many different teams have great freshman players. Kansas has Peterson. You know, there's like eight really good freshmen. Can they Can they take a team to a national championship in March? I in in April? I think Florida look out for them. They're coming together at the right time. And that is not a freshman dependent team either. So can the veteran teams beat the freshman led star teams?
Speaker 2: The Darren Peterson situation, what do you make of this? That he might be the best player in college basketball? But I would not be drafting him until I got further explanation into do you really love basketball?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that would be my point exactly. If I'm an NBAGM Like, they're gonna be ten good freshmen coming out, and do you want one who's gonna be like, Eh, I'm not playing today, you know or tomorrow. Check back on Thursday. We'll see you know. I'm gonna take myself out of games that you're gonna make a massive investment in somebody who hasn't proved what you said, does he how much does he like basketball? How much does he want to play? How much does he want to compete when he's out there? Who he's really good? But I'd be looking at these other guys and saying, Yeah, they're playing forty minutes and they're playing every game, and I kind of like that more.
Speaker 2: When does tournament expansion start?
Speaker 12: They're still pushing for it for twenty twenty seven. I would expect it to probably happen then and they'll go to seventy six and it'll be terrible. But you know, that's what Charlie Baker wants, that's what a lot of other people want. They're trying to, you know, dredge some more money out of the broadcast deal for this, but they also want to make everybody happy by getting more teams in the tournament. I think it's a terrible development. I don't think it helps the tournament in any way. But I think it's coming, whether it's twenty seven or beyond. There's been a lot of backlash that's pushed it back. I thought it could be this year, and now it's a maybe probably for next year. So the backlash is at least forestalled things a bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what happens first college basketball expansion or college football playoff expansion?
Speaker 12: Oh, college football playoff expansion is certainly coming sixteen, hopefully enough this ridiculous twenty four. They may be, may coincide, may both be in twenty twenty seven. You know, that might be what we're looking at here. But you know, I like twelve. I think twelve is great and has been really good from the last two years. Happy to see it again in twenty twenty six. But they want sixteen. And if it's a choice between sixteen or twenty four, I'll run to sixteen.
Speaker 2: It's about money, pat, I mean, all these years it was one versus two, and then we went to four and I was happy at four. Yeah, you know, we doubled the size of the playoffs. Now you go to twelve. I'm happy with twelve. But they're looking at all the money here. That's college basketball, all of the money. That's what it's all about. And it's not a question of if. But when we have expansion. Now you know, we had Jim Beaheim on who's he suggested ninety six teams in the NC DOUBLEA Tournament. I mean, come on, every coach would want expansion, do ensure they get into the postseason. But after a while, I mean I grew up when it was thirty two teams in the NC DOUBLEA Tournament and seemed like a lot back then.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and they expanded to forty it was like, whoa.
Speaker 2: And then they went to forty eight. Whoa?
Speaker 6: You know, I thought.
Speaker 12: Sixty four was the absolute sweet spot, fantastic. You know, they went there in nineteen eighty five, the seeding one through sixteen, everybody played the same number of games. It was perfect. Then they started junking it up more, and they're going to continue to junk it up more. Never listen to the coaches. Don't look that's a great coach. It doesn't mean he knows what's good for college basketball, what's good for coaches? They all only think of themselves. They never think of anything outside of this is my worldview right here, these binoculars, these blinders.
Speaker 2: I love it. You're fired up, already ready to go. I love it so on March. Thank you, Pat, Good to talk to you all right, you too, man, Pat forty Sports Illustrated senior writer back from the Olympics, covers college football, college basketball, and his podcast called Others Receiving Books. We'll take a break. Your phone calls coming up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup, and then catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: I mentioned a couple of things in the first hour of the program, the sound of the Rims at Texas Tech with the game against Cincinnati last night, and I also brought up Connor Griffin. So yesterday I see, you know, spring training baseball. You're kind of flipping around looking for something to watch, and there's Connor Griffin, nineteen years of age, hit two bombs. First teenager to make his debut on opening day. Maybe he'll be able to do this since Ken Griffy Junior in nineteen eighty nine. Steat of the day, stat of the days, stead of the day, stat of the day? Here comes? Here comes that? What stat of the day. But Connor Griffin is a six to four shortstop with the Pirates and trying to be I'm the first teenager and to be on the opening day roster since Junior did it for the Mariners in nineteen eighty nine. Okay, it was good. It was fun to see yesterday. Granted it's spring training. There are times when you'll watch spring training and I've gone to spring training probably for thirty five to forty years, and you'll see somebody and you go, man, that guy's really good. And then all of a sudden, you don't hear from the guy, and he's back in the minor leagues.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paulie Ken Griffie's debut in eighty nine. He was nineteen years, one hundred and thirty three days old. He had three at bats. He did get a hit. In his rookie year, he hit two sixty four with sixteen homers sixty one ribies.
Speaker 2: Okay, didn't the Orioles. Orioles had a prospect. His dad played in the major leagues Jackson Holliday. Yes, but he wasn't on the regular He wasn't on the opening day roster, and I think he was a teenager. He really struggled when he came up. He wasn't ready. Then they sent him back down.
Speaker 6: Oh, I just wanted I just wanted to hear one more time.
Speaker 2: Connor Griffin. Yeah, Andrew in Washington, Hi Andrew, thanks for holding.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Dan Dennet, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 14: Just a couple of comments on a few podcasts that have come out, and then also, I don't know a bad sound in sports, but hey, if you get a chance, any of our listeners get a chance to any of your listeners get a chance to listen to a twelve fifteen podcast before the Break with Christen's Syracuse on it.
Speaker 4: That was great. He's a number one fan, such a nice guy. Also the podcast, Todd, great job. I hope that that saving a bite Burger girl does not slip into your d M, because I don't know what you would do after twenty three years of marriage, still happily married, as you reminded us three.
Speaker 2: Or four times on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Also, we're sound in sports right now. Lebron James missing a game winning shot again, I mean Orlando Magic team. I'll tell you they had more, just want they had two offensive rebounds before window Carter put in the game winning shot.
Speaker 2: But you also had Luca who passed up the shot. And I don't know, it's not this isn't going as scripted there. Thanks for the phone call. Andrew. Yeah, you're watching, and you know everybody's trying to figure out what everybody's doing. And when you have a ball dominant player, it's really tough to play with a player like that because you want to let them do what they do. But then you got to be ready when they're going to pass you the ball. And Luca can get his shot anywhere. And now you've got Austin Reeves who's a legitimate star, and then you got Lebron who is still holding onto his stardom as maybe a number one option even though he's probably the third option on that team. But it comes down to defense. So, like I say, with any of these sports, what do you do in crunch time? You got to play defense. You got to get a stop. And this Laker team, there'll be a curiosity in the postseason, but they won't be a threat. I just can't see it happening. And I touched on this with Reggie Miller about Luca. He complains constantly, and it's kind of sad to see because you know, what are you twenty six years of age? You know older guys will complain. The younger guys usually don't, but you know, Luca's elevated into a top five player. It's just after a while it's kind of embarrassing for that player that not every call is going to go your way, and you get that feeling of he's like almost every time something goes wrong, it feels like somebody else is to blame. Yes, Marvin, and the.
Speaker 8: Big issue is speaking of lack of defense. Luca's over there arguing with the ress and the other team is already on the offensive end. No, you're right, and now you know you're at a disadvantage. It's four and five now because you're sitting there arguing with the ref and it's the NBA open shots.
Speaker 6: That's practice for these guys.
Speaker 2: But you gotta have at least some effort. Just give me a little effort. You're not a lockdown defender, but you can't be an embarrassment on the defensive end.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paulie, if you were a star player, would you totally go the other way and ease off officials and pick your spots?
Speaker 2: Well, Reggie Miller told us, and he said, look, I was a whiner, a crier, and it doesn't help. I can't imagine it helping you if you're out there constantly complaining. I don't know these officials are going to go shut up like they're human too, Like you're complaining that they're not doing their job well. And I can't imagine that official is going to go, Man, all right, I want Lebron to like me or Luca to like me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, seen, I think there's a reason that the saying exists. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, right, isn't that the grease, the grease whatever, same thing.
Speaker 2: You get the point.
Speaker 7: I think there's a reason for that, and I think it's why you see so many players being demonstrative.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going by what Reggie said. He said it didn't help him and he would complain and whine all the time. But I mean, Luca, it's it is. I'm surprised when he doesn't complain. That's how often it happens. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 8: And it's something as small as he makes a shot and his arms are in the air. Yeah, man, just get back on defense.
Speaker 2: I know he wants to plead his case while the other team is going down on a you know, five on four.
Speaker 6: Yes, Hub, And if the whining did help, then you're like being an enagbler.
Speaker 5: Now you're thinking like, oh, if you start giving him calls because he's whining, then you're just encouraging it even more.
Speaker 6: The more I whine, looks like they're gonna give me a couple more.
Speaker 2: Calls here now, Okay. Growing up in the Bird and Magic and Larry and Jordan Eira, those guys complained a lot and then it felt like they got calls. So maybe it's a generation watching previous generation going well, that's what you do. You just complain, I'll get those calls. Final Hour on the way, we'll talk about the combine and the pressing questions that these gms are facing right now in the month of February. Final Hour, right after this Dan and the dan Nette dan Patrick's show,