Speaker 1: Dude, I think this fucking thing is bleeding. Now it's bleeding. How oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's like tab on the on the milk, on the milk.
Speaker 1: It felt like one of those look just felt like a real standard hangnail at the corner of my pinky toe. And next thing I know, I'm looking. Yeah, this ship is looked like a like I fucked up my manicure or some ship and just got a little bit of red on the side of it. Oh, no, fucking hangnails. Man. But you know what I can't I can't say no to a hangnail.
Speaker 2: I can't say no to a hail.
Speaker 1: I got it. I got a tug at it, Like I know, I think the smarter verse. I remember, like my mom would always be like, use like fucking clippers or something, scissors. Yeah, yeah, but I'm like, nah, man, let's just fucking thug this one out now cut to my fucking whole leg is basically gone.
Speaker 2: All right, let's.
Speaker 1: Hello Internet, it's your substitute teacher here. Sorry I came late. My Honda broke down again. Man. I miss my Honda so much. Actually, I dream about my Honda prelude who all the time. Yeah, man, that shit was That shit goes Anyway, this is this is what season three forty five. This is episode one. This is the time we tell you about everything that trended over the weekend. It's me the main mc miles g in the Place to be with his homie, b Ryan the editor. What's going on, Brian? Thank you for.
Speaker 2: The things are going good. I'm sleepy because it's early.
Speaker 1: In the morning. I mean, we all know you're a nocturnal animal, so I really appreciate you arising to pre noon waking hours.
Speaker 2: Levitated up out of my coffin, made myself a coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, anyway, here we are. It's Tuesday, Jai. Wait, no, no, it's Monday, sorry July. First, if I did not make that clear, it's the first of the month. We are here. We're fully in the summer. Now, wake up, man. People still people still fuck with bull dogs like that, dude.
Speaker 2: They better, they better.
Speaker 1: I know we do. We do here because but we also we're from la so that's just how it is, even though they're from Ohio. Let's get into everything that was trending, But first we got to tell each other what we think is under underrated and overrated, Brian, what is something you think is underrated? Underrated?
Speaker 2: I am gonna go with let's see here, what we got, what we got? What we got? Air travel?
Speaker 1: What do you a time traveler from the nineteenth century?
Speaker 2: That is the angle I'm going with.
Speaker 1: Yet I've not seen such contraptions.
Speaker 2: Basically, Yeah, that's that's the way of I'm on right now. So most of what I hear people talk about air travel is complaining or like weird ship. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I just want to acknowledge out loud how fucking impressive it is that you can get damn near anywhere in the world within a day, or just being on a vehicle that's traveling six hundred miles an hour. It's just nutty to me. This is insane.
Speaker 1: You're almost word for word doing a Louis c k bit right now that he did on Late Night. Oh no, really, everyone to fucking complain And is that really a thing?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I really am you guys?
Speaker 1: Sorry, have you did you fly anywhere recently? No?
Speaker 2: You know, so Camo has been yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's what I'll call my my significant other. Yeah, yeah, exactly, And yeah, she's been traveling and I'm just you know, like you worry. I hope everything's getting where it's going, yeah, safely. And it's just like most planes do. And it's kind of impressive.
Speaker 1: But it's funny for you because you're also on such the cutting edge of technology as a person that like, I don't know if you always have this perspective, like with this one, you're like, guys, air travel, why are we complaining the fact that we can do it? We should just be marveling with that. Meanwhile, like there are no I know you, and there's like no pair of headphones that is good enough for your head because they're failing in one way or the other.
Speaker 2: I do have a pair that I bought specifically for try. I just don't I don't fly that often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah no, But I'm just saying, like how the bar is different like headphones, bro, I don't give a like I'm holding you to a completely different standard air travel. Yes, I get it, we're flying very fast. I appreciate that, but I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly that movement. You don't move it's six hundred miles an hour that often, and it's just I don't know, it's kinda it's kind of cool, how like just the level of trust that's been built up over time. So even though with all this like boeing shit, all these regulation stuff, it's still like there's still that level of trust of I'm going to trust this complete fucking stranger to fly me around at six hundred miles an hour and get me where I need to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bless the pilots and bless the drugs that they do to stay alert to land the planes. My underrated and you'll know about this because we were both we both saw this video over the weekend. My underrated is Canadian wrap YouTubers, you know in the Kendrick Lamar and Drake Beef. A lot of the time, it's very easy to fall into this binary of like America versus Canada, and America better because America invent hip hop, but Canadians, I think are just smarter people in general, you know, funnier people a lot of the time. But I've noticed a lot of the fucking commentary I've really liked on YouTube have actually come from Canadians talking about the like, you know, just there noalys and things like that. But there's one specific video, What's the Dirt by that channel what's the dirt this guy or is he from like Newfoundland or something?
Speaker 2: I want to see. Yeah, he's from like somewhere over there on that side, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's got like every time, every now and then it like it veers into like sounding Irish. He's like, yeah, Kendrick was in the dark on this one, and I was like, wait, what the He's.
Speaker 2: Got an interesting accent. I'm pretty sure, let me know.
Speaker 1: Is he a new fee? I don't know, but anyway he did. He did like one of the wildest breakdowns of Kendrick six sixteen in La Drake distrack, and it is so detailed. I'm I'm actually really blown away. Like every time every now and then, I like, I like to go on genius and look at how people are like sort of interpreting certain wrap lines, especially when there's references that go completely over my head and some make sense. But this video like it's sort of spelling every single thing out for you in a ways that I I just didn't have the depth of knowledge or dedication to break down a bar like that first verse and the beginning. I was like, oh, yeah, look he's on his like big baller rapper shit. But then when and what's the dirt vide? He's like, this man is rapping as Drake right now, just so you know, this is him fully doing Drake to set up all this other stuff.
Speaker 2: And yeah, when they got over my fucking head. There's just so many little details, but yeah, his breakdown was so impressive.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's unbelievable. I mean it really is, I think, to the point where to connect all these dots. I mean it definitely had conspiracy theory, red thread on the wall vibes, but even like his artistic interpretation of like what he was even rapping, it was just on point. So you know what, shout out Canadian wrap YouTubers.
Speaker 2: We should you know.
Speaker 1: I love hearing your commentary, Brian. What's the mean think is overrated? Overrated? Is?
Speaker 2: Uh? I guess I'll go with going out on on peak nights, on like Friday day night, because let me let me tell you kids something.
Speaker 1: I'm tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and I just I don't got it anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm washed. And even though look we both come from like the La beat maker electronic rock see like you know, live music seat in LA. We've been to many shows laying with questionable venues. But you recently went to a show that started at eleven pm, and word, it sounds like it broke you. The doors were an electic I think, I think.
Speaker 2: I've officially given up. So I went out to this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I went out to see it in an electronic music recital and the doors didn't open until eleven PM. And I was like, oh, this was I was thinking in the back of my mind that this was some sort of mistake and I was like, no, I'm all right, I've done this a zillion times. And you know, I'm at home. It's like, you know, nine ten pm, and I'm like, I'm just like wandering around fully.
Speaker 1: Kid.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, it's only like an hour to I can leave for this place.
Speaker 1: And it's weird when like you're up in a time period when normally like I'm in bed or asleep or getting like or I'm high watching TV or something not like about to leave that like getting ready to leave.
Speaker 2: It's a weird time for me to leave the house. And it's almost as soon as I got there, I was looking for a place to sit down.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's just that you're very old. That's why I get the bottle service stuff, you know, like, uh, not that I would ever do it, but the human need as you get older to just sit down, you know, like and and I think that's where they got people. And a lot of these clubs they know older people. They might have a little more money to spend, but I'm sorry, I can't spend twelve hundred dollars on one bottle of Stoley. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like I thought of maybe do it, but it's it was just me. Yeah, how long did you go?
Speaker 1: How long did you last till you said the like, no such thing went up? At what time?
Speaker 2: Like I made it like a little over three hours. So I left the little after too. And that was the thing. This place was just starting to get popfing to his Yeah, you're like, no, I can't. I don't get it anymore. I'm washed, all right.
Speaker 1: My overrated wireless headphones M not that. Like I enjoy the wireless headphones that I wear, but I don't like the emphasis on wireless headphones to the point that most new tech devices that have some kind of audio playback function have no fucking headphone port. Like everyone is presumed to be having to use AirPods or wireless headphones.
Speaker 2: Or some shit.
Speaker 1: This also comes up all the time when like I have older relatives, like they get a new computer and they're like, there's no headphone whole thing in here for the what I do. And you're like, I know, talk to fucking Tim Apple and the rest of these people who were just trying to do every like get rid of the damn air the fucking headphone port. They want us all buying everything wireless. But again, what is my question is, technologically speaking, what is the disadvantage of having that trust the eighth inch port available as a redundancy.
Speaker 2: Well, the issue is that wireless headphones are so lucrative that they don't want to they don't want to sell.
Speaker 1: You anything, yeah, the cheap shit anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just like it's a really it was always an interesting move to me to just outright, you know, they moved they removed headphone jacks from phones, yea, and then you know, here comes this wave of wireless headphones and now with the big over ear you know, like your Bow's or your Sony's, they've removed the the the eighth inch jack from that. So now you don't even have the option of using them passively.
Speaker 1: Even the new generations of those don't even have the fucking yes.
Speaker 2: Some like I bought a pair of Sennheisers that still have yeah where you can plug it in with a wire or USB. But they've really been trying to lock down, like you are going to buy headphones every two fucking years because we say so, and it's pretty diabolical.
Speaker 1: I have AirPods from twenty nineteen that I have not they're they're they're not looking, They're not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that battery life is gonna be sure, life is dog shit.
Speaker 1: One of them crackles unless I like beat the shit, like I have to like fucking smack it and then it stops crackling. I should just get in my place, because I think you can still. But I was so into headphones growing up that like I always knew it's like this is a pair that I can fucking use forever or at least a very very long time. And yeah, with everything being wireless or needing like internal electronics or batteries to align it now, it's just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the thing. Like headphones are they are an electro mechanical device that really should last you like years, maybe decades. Like I'm wearing HD six hundreds by Sandheisers. These were they put these out in nineteen ninety seven, right, and they still sell them today, and that you can and that's them across the room.
Speaker 1: You know, And that's the problem. I'm sure there's people like in these boardrooms being like, yeah, man, like these things just last too long. So maybe only persons maybe buying one at most two pair over their lifetime.
Speaker 2: Because when you think about it, the thing that would wear out on your headphones that made you have to get a new pair was the wire would break. It would almost never be the actual driver or maybe the arm or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exact.
Speaker 2: The headphones are the playback of the headphones. I've never had a headphone break like where the speaker broke. Yeah, I can't think of a time that unless they got like wet or something like physically damage it some other way.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So this is the old head headphone hour where we complain about late starts to music recitals and the fact that where'd that eight eighth inch port go? All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back to talk about what was trending over the weekend. Because my god, man, yeah, fucking so many things happened. All right, we'll be wrecky and we're back. And I think the big thing that we must talk about immediately because we didn't we weren't able to record our response to the debate was the presidential debate that took place at the end of last week, which was I would say probably one of the greatest performances I have seen from Joe Biden, and I am heartened to know that he is going to be our nominee in the election. He absolutely nailed it. I didn't watch the debate, but based on what but I heard Joe Biden say about him, I believe that he won. Oh god, now, I can't even fucking pretend. It was so painful to watch. I immediately got texts from people this second he started speaking, People are like, oh, no, no, no, the Emperor has no nothing.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it, but I did see a very illustrative clip on Reddit of Joe Biden in a debate in twenty nineteen and Joe Biden, Oh my god, don't even yeah side it blew all my hair off. Yeah yeah, I was like, holy shit, that's terrifying. This dude is a different person.
Speaker 1: I'll play This was one of the moments that a lot of people were talking about when I think it really was just visibly clear just how old Joe Biden is and how much trouble he was having just sort of putting your answer together. So for those of you who have heard it, I'm sorry to put this back in your ears again. But for those who maybe had just anecdotally heard how bad it was, here's an answer that Joe Biden was talking about healthcare. I think all those.
Speaker 3: Things we need to do, childcare, elder care, making sure that we continue to suppent strength in our healthcare system, making sure that we're able.
Speaker 2: To His voice is already he's unintelligible.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult. He's very raspy.
Speaker 3: Every single solitary person eligible for what I've been able to do with the with the COVID, dealing with everything.
Speaker 1: We have to do with even Trump's looking at him.
Speaker 3: We finally beat medicare.
Speaker 1: Thank your President. Oh no, no, no, that was really like the fact that he was even able to do like the office, like Jim looking into.
Speaker 2: Camera kind of m yeah, see this, what was that?
Speaker 1: You see this? Then there was another question he had about abortion and he somehow spun it into like like immigrants killing people. It was a really, really poor performance. It was a disaster. Apparently there was a debate watch party that like had Doug Emhoff, who is Kamala Harris's husband, JB. Pritzker, Gretchen Whitmer, Andy Basheer. There was also apparently Rob Reiner was there was quote screaming about losing a few a few answers into the debate, and Jane Fonda had tears in her eyes. Oh my fucking god. So, yeah, that is this your king?
Speaker 2: I guess so.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people were calling basically on the Democrats to replace him with quite literally anyone, and even like the New York Times editorial board, the loudest voices that we kept hearing were putting out Governor Gretchen Whitmer from Michigan or Gavin Newsom from California. Those are like the easiest first answer things you think of. I think a Whitmer is probably helps if you've become so cynical about like Muslim and Arab voters in Michigan, about what's happening in Gaza, They're like, well, she can get the turnout that might offset the people that are so disaffected by this administration's policies as it relates to Gaza. But I mean, just seeing the energy out there, you're like, holy cow. And they from the beginning, so many people were like, this guy is old, he's appeal to younger voters who you really want to energize a campaign is just not there. But everyone insisted all the time, remember there will always be people been like, oh, I've been talking to the president. He is sharp, he is fantastic. Meanwhile, we're seeing clips of him like where he's slowing down a little bit, not quite giving the most concise answers as he could. And yeah, I mean, like the Democrats really completely fucking they're just revealing why I think there's so much criticism of how they're doing things, because they can't even respond to something like this without like immediately attacking people being like Joe Biden did great, We're gonna be fine. And it's just like now the you know, the polls again are nothing really indicative of much, but in terms of people's opinions right now now almost forty or no forty six percent of Democrats are now saying Biden should not be running for president anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bad, bad, bad look on both sides of the aisle. But I mean just this is just it's just real depressing that this is where we're at and these are what are considered our most viable options, right, It's just like, yeah, it's just being stuck in that room of like, well, well we have to go with someone who could win in yeah, not what will not what war? Like, what's your platform is? Or it's just this isn't democracy to me, where you're sort of forced into these really unfavorable like decisions that you have to make of like, well I have to put aside all my you know, ideals to win this horse race.
Speaker 1: It's it's I think it's just absolutely it's so cynical for Democrats like this, like this election is the most important election of our lives.
Speaker 2: Democracy is on I'm not going to be voting on platforms. I'm just going to be voting on the horse I think will.
Speaker 1: Be the fastest vote on Democracy is on the line. But if democracy, if things are that important and existential to us, and you're so like and then this is the guy who's going to go into the fight for America is the soul of America's is quote unquote democracy. You immediately like, bro, that's that's who you're that's the fighter you're picking and street fighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is your champion.
Speaker 1: This dude, kid, what well? I thought I thought the stakes were hot. Uh okay, but yeah, and I think aim in Ismael, who's a former guest who comes on the show pretty frequently, he wrote a piece in Slate we about saying, like, you know, just the idea to keep forcing this uh this option down people's throats without actually considering what people are asking for, as people, you know, as potential democratic voters, are saying this is what we're interested in. What will you do to earn my vote? Rather than being like, this is fucking what you got. Do you want democracy to fucking die? I don't want to fucking hear anything else about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The rhetoric around it is so like it's it's it's so aggressive, and it's it's like if you say something to the contrary of like, oh, I don't want to vote for him because his policies are bad, and oh.
Speaker 1: Do you want democracy to die?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't. What I'm saying is I would prefer someone else can is that okay? Or do you or can you get him to maybe change some things about his platform that might make me more open rather than being like, well, if you don't, you know, your fucking grandma and your favorite pets are going to be killed by Donald Trump, So yeah, is that what you want? No, But I think I think we're fundamentally I think we're fundamentally not understanding how this works. And obviously a lot of people who look at America's politics with sober ezs are like, look, this is never really a true democracy in that sense. But even in the sense of trying to get like just in like a wanting people to like you sort of sense, you kind of got to listen to what people are asking for and then you kind of show that so then they go, oh, okay, there's that person I can support. But yeah, we will see what happens. I think, you know, apparently Jill Biden and Hunter Biden are the ones that have been like you gotta stay in, you gotta stay in. I don't think so no, And also like it was really uncomfortable, how like after the eight Jill Biden was sort of like gassing Joe up about like how well he did, even though clearly like the chirons that were running like a at the end of the debate on every news channel were like DEM's panicking over that bike debate performance. This is what Joe Biden says to Joe on stage. Jo, you did such a great job.
Speaker 3: You answered every question, you knew all the.
Speaker 1: Let me ask the crowd what did Trump do?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: This is called encouraging someone to death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's she had the same energy as like a preschool teacher.
Speaker 1: You did such a great job. Here's one Graham cracker, you and your forehead. Here's a gold star, you do all the facts. Here's some goldfish crackers. You did it. Yay, Okay, here's your little diploma, and now keep it go. I mean also then, like when you see this, you're like, this is just a family that's hell bent on holding onto their power. Like they could give a rat's ass about what the outcome is of this election. They just don't want to be the people saying like, ah, we can't do it anymore. So yeah, very inspiring, very inspiring. We'll see what happens. I was I was telling a friend, I'm like, I don't know how you're gonna like, obviously, there are people who are going to vote for Joe Biden no matter what. But for anybody who is like like needing a better reason, he better start giving some kind of reason, like you better start making it rain social spending or some shit, or or he'll do the thing that he promises and it doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: I'm calling it right now. Well I called it a couple months ago actually, but I feel like he's going to start piping up and saying the things that people want to hear much closer to the election, so that it's fresh in everyone's mind that, oh, I do actually want to cease fire now, right, and whatever the fuck else he can come up with to to you know, curry favor with voters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel I feel like he's just waiting, like he just like, there's no way he doesn't know what people want to fucking hear.
Speaker 1: He needs a meet the Graham's level red button track that he can drop on people to completely change the narrative and then follow it up with not like us.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, in like September October, he's gonna like start piping up about stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's very early but again, like when you have these kinds of performances that now it's fully like the debate or the rhetorically, this is exactly where the Republicans want to be, is to just be like the guy's old, the guys old, the guys old, the guys old, the guys old, the guys old, the guys old, the guy's old. And yeah, so we'll see. I don't think heads are gonna roll, uh in terms of like his at like Biden's advisors or anything really happening in the DNC, but.
Speaker 2: We shall see.
Speaker 1: Let's also talk about the Supreme Court, because they have continued to be trashed through the end of last week. They just ruled this morning Monday, uh that Trump does actually have some form of absolute immunity for official acts while in office. The Court didn't agree with Trump's like absurdly broad definition. But again, this is such a blatant act of meddling and is clearly a moment where as Justice Katanji Brown Jackson said, the seeds of absolute power have been planted. So now yeah, so now this the decision basically sends this case back to the lower court, where District Judge Tanya Chutkin can hear arguments over again where they're going to have to decide what actually constitutes an official act by the former president. So talking to the DOJ about overturning the election is protected by his immunity in this case. But the Court again wasn't really defining what our technically official acts. So we will see what Judge Shutkin has to say for Special Counsel Jack Smith's case. This means that the case, the scope of the case will probably change, and Justice Sodamayor's dissent is really fucking I mean, this is part of it, as she obviously, like most people, were disturbed by what the conservative justices did on the bench. Quote. When the president uses his official powers in any way, under the majority's reasoning, he will now be insulated from criminal prosecution. Orders the Navy's Sealed Team six to assassinate a political rival, Immune organizes a military coup to hold onto power. Immune takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon, Immune Immune Immune Immune. Let the president violate the law, let him exploit the trappings of his office for personal gain, Let him use his official power for evil ends, because if he knew that, he may one day face liability for breaking the law. He might not be as bold and fearless as we would like him to be. That is the majority's message today. Even if these nightmare scenarios never play out, and I pray they never do, the damage has been done. The relationship between the president and the people he serves has shifted irrevocably. In every use of official power. The president is now a king above the law.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Now, like on the internet now everyone's like, well, I guess Joe Biden would that now, you know, do whatever you've got to do, baby, because they just ruled that you can do you know, official acts are protected and you are immune. So we still haven't heard officially what the White House have said about this decision. But yeah, I mean, like, my god, at this point, maybe you can just create some vacancies on the Supreme Court bench because maybe that can.
Speaker 2: Be within your manager on them or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, yeah, yeah, come through. I'm doing a pet adoption that the I love to have you guys over. Just check this out. Is that a diar rule from Game of Thrones?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Pretty cool, right? They thought they were mythical, so then also aside from that, the Supreme Court also concluded that January sixth writers did not quote obstruct or impede the congressional proceeding to certify the election, in a six to three decision that broke down ideological lines. Hm hmm. Interesting again, everyone's like, this is oh wow, holy shit, this is like unbelievable that. But they've again gone to a more textual reading of the law to basically be like, well, you know, in this case, it's like didn't technically destroyed documents or something like that, So can we really call it.
Speaker 2: Which is false? I literally have this footage everywhere of them destroying documents.
Speaker 1: Well like the ones that they were using to certify the exos documents. Yeah yeah, yeah, that's so. That's all good, and that obviously may have an effect on what's happening with Trump's legal predicaments as well. And as we touched on last week, they also made it legal for, you know, to bribe government officials if you call it a gratuity and do it after the fact, not before, because that's shady.
Speaker 2: Yeah they get tips now too, It's great, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. They overturned the Chevron doctrine, which essentially made courts defer to federal agencies in legal dispute where there's any ambiguity. So you know, if there's like an EPA case that's talking about like systems to combat pollution or whatever, you know, the judge would normally have to defer to what the agency was defining as a system or whatever or whatever, like the ambiguity was in a language. Because also when you write these laws, you need some wiggle room to be able to adapt things for the future. But in this instance, this is giving judges power to interpret those things, which is very dangerous considering that the challenge to chevron deference is basically quote part of an extensive campaign by industry and their allies to unravel federal authority to regulate food safety, clean air, clean water, protections from consumer fraud, and more. The stakes for people's lives are profound in legal disputes over ambiguous statutes. Chevron says again, judges, within reason, ought to defer to federal agencies understanding of those statutes. So yeah, today this is someone from the Southern Environmental Law Center said, quote, today's ruling sidelines the role of agency expertise and instead shifts power to judges who do not have the expertise of agency staff who live and breed the science, financial principles, and safety concerns that federal agencies specialize in. So there's that, and then they criminalized basically being unhoused. We mentioned this Grant's past case when Rhiannon came on talking about Supreme Court decisions. But yeah, again six ' three broke in favor of the really fucked up regressive way of even looking at what a person is or what they can do, which is saying that now the people cannot be sleeping outside and local governments can now criminalize people for being in encampments. Jisodamyra, So yeah, exactly. I mean, it's already so hostile, and it's just so bizarre to be like, well, it's illegal to be a sleep outside even though you live in this country where our rules are created as such, where some people that's the only option they have, and we also have again, but we're at court, we have no you know, interest in how to remedy that specific part. But given all that, we do think that it should be criminal to be unhoused. Essentially, so a lot of a whole lot of bullshit going down with making a big push. I mean, it's just again even with this, like it's so unnecessarily cruel, and it also goes against all the fucking evidence that shows that criminalizing being unhoused does not work. And if for people, for all the fiscal conservatism that is that exists out there, it's also it's cheaper to actually find ways to get people housed than to just have this endless cycle of like criminalizing unhoused people.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you're being way too charitable with this, Like no one's trying to do the right thing here.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but I'm saying, but I think, but it's important that we know what these truths are and how everything disregards all of that, Like obviously I understand that there's no interest in doing that, but the facts are still there that it's actually it's all the better option is always to actually sort out the problem fiscally, socially, all of that. It's not because it's because someone has an eye sore about their property values because someone is unhoused living near them. But yeah, it's a cruel world we live in. It's a very cruel world. In an even crueler country. So let's take another break. We'll come back and at least we can talk about the new Mark Wahlberg joint directed by Mel Gibson right after this, and we're back weird. So is Mark Wahlberg?
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, ro staying preyed up in everything, dude.
Speaker 1: So he The trailer just dropped for this new movie, Flight Risk, which is a new Mark Wahlberg action thriller directed by none other than Mel Gibson. It's set entirely in an airplane, and like, at first, I was like, is this is Could this actually be something to do with his nine to eleven fantasies, because like the blog line, you're not sure. It says, quote a pilot transports an air marshal accompanying a fugitive to trial. As they cross the Alaskan wilderness, tension sore and trust is tested as not everyone on board is who they seem. And I was like, oh shit, is he gonna like fight someone? Like is he the cop or whatever? Because as we all know, he famously said he was supposed to be on one of those planes on nine to eleven and if he was on there, it wouldn't he said quote if I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first class cabin. And then I'm saying, Okay, where are we gonna land? But I said, Okay, we're gonna land somewhere safely. Don't worry, say he lo to your mother for me, and then he later obviously apologized because they're like, what the fuck are you talking about, dude. So the movie turns out is not him fighting terrorists to reverse nine to eleven, even though the description doesn't even imply that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was going to be like Passenger for fifty seven with a white guy or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, apparently Mark Wahlberg he's the pilot who's actually a hit man trying to kill his passenger, which is played by Toafer Grace from TOF a seventies show. Yeah, and the air Marshall Michelle Dockery. So but he also, I don't know, man, he's I don't know why he had to be bald. There was a moment where he's wearing a hat and then his hat gets blown off and then you see like how like his male powdern baldness and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Wow, Bro, yes.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: Seeing Mark Wahlberg with that with his hairline just blown them completely back, being.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, I'm a wacky hit man pilot. Bro.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why why did he have to be bald?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do, I you know. Mel Gibson like, God, I can't remember the last What was the last thing he was in that I saw? What's that was that he was in Daddy's home? What was that one thing he did with Mark Wahlberg?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't remember. The last thing I saw him in as an actor was Dragged Across Concrete where he played a shitty cop, and I was like, appropriate, appropriate fasting. I'm not gonna say it.
Speaker 1: Makes sense for him.
Speaker 2: He could have gotten someone else, But I mean, if you want a piece of shit grizzled visit of a cop, there is not a bad choice.
Speaker 1: Aside from this specific film, we haven't what was the last air air like big airplane thriller movie we had that really caught caught us all.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of a I don't want to say it's a dead genre, but I remember in the nineties there were a lot of airplane movies. Shit going down on airplane Air Force one past fifty seven, all this stuff, and I'm it's just so I fell after out of favor for some reason in the early two thousands, and I'm not sure why anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, flight plan was two thousand and five flight plan? Which one was Jody Foster?
Speaker 2: Oh, I missed that one. That's the one is And no, Red Eye doesn't really count with Sylvia Murphy because half of that is not in the plane. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, look, studios love a contained thriller because you only have to pay for one set. How bottle bottle movies? Yeah, yeah, industry contained thriller. We call them contained thrillers. They're contained to one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the phone booth.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, exactly. So I don't know, boo. I wanted to see Mark Wahlberg reverse nine to eleven in an alternate universe.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will not be. I will not be seeing this in the theater. I will be stealing this from the internet. And yeah, because like Mel Gibson, Mel Gibson is a he's a weird director. Like when they showed his pre from the director of Apocalypto, I'm like that movie was highly inaccurate. Uh, one of one of one of the wildest endings where I'm like, this is this is so historically inaccurate, but you also made these people learn Mayan, right, it's just like weird choices. Hacksaw Ridge was terrible. The christ Man Passion of the Christ was terrible, Like all of his movies are terrible in unique in special ways where it's like you can see the effort, but it's all yeah, weird places. Yeah exactly, You're like, that's the Patree, Like the Patriot is just like mind blowingly stupid.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just he's a very strange director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, strange director and a bad man. And then the BET Awards were on Sunday. There was a big like Usher had a huge tribute thing where everybody so many people were like dedicating little performances to his songs over the years. To start off with Childish Gambino doing an auto tuned you don't have to call not not my favorite, I'd have to say, but you know, honoring the Atlanta legend himself, he gave a speech that got like was really censored a ton. I know that he was like swearing. But then also it seemed like there were like a lot of the censoring happened when he was talking about it was like the Year of the Father. I have haven't seen the whole Like a lot of people posted from inside the amphitheater or the theater the uncensored speech. And he was talking about how he'd been through some bullshit in the industry, and I'm not sure what he was alluding to, but I'm very curious what is going on there. I'm sure we'll know more than you. Had Will Smith performing what did he performed like a new track called you Can Make It? And he's like, h it's weird. The set he's on. Jam our writer point out it looks like the cover of like the Dianetics book. Like it's just like a like a flaming volcano, like where maybe betans are like, I like that a.
Speaker 2: White dude is reporting on the bet Awards.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, he had to. I mean he knows, he knows what the mandate is, the scope of the show. But then like in the lyrics, it's just like it's all about his like comeback. There's lyrics that say, the darker the hell you gotta endure, the brighter the heaven you get to enjoy, the harder the fall. The higher you soar. God opened the window when the devil closed the door. Believe me, they tried to bleed. Will Smith in the rear View, I see adversity was the gift? Oh Will that sounds like a man do this sounds like a greeting card someone buys you, like when something bad happens and you're like, hey, adversity was the gift?
Speaker 2: Wasn't it? Wasn't it, folks.
Speaker 1: Then the other weird part was that in the in memoriam section, like when you know you've had people like Carl Weathers, Willie Mays, Richard Roundtree, like you know, one of the Isisley brothers, Lewis Gossi Junior, like passing away. Then a card shows up for O. J. Simpson in the in memoriam and even the audience was like, huh, I mean, I okay, I get it. But technically he was acquitted. But he definitely was black culture where it was like, come on, man, for all the shit that we've seen people get away with. But yes, he's a cute, isn't it. I Mean in other award shows, like when you've been a q A murder, you kind of get left out of the end memoriam like Robert Blake was at the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Robert Blake for sure did that ship.
Speaker 1: And OJ only kind of for sure.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like he's involved somehow, but I can't prove it.
Speaker 1: But whether he did it for real, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Look, it's like OJ was such a was such a big deal, like even like for you know, for me as a kid like I did. I never got to see him play ball, but I was a big naked gun fan, and you know, like I get it. I get why he's there, but it is you're just like you can't help.
Speaker 1: But go yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean like, look you're putting on your tongue on your shirt collar like oh yeah. It's also being jump scared by OJ is never fun. No, no one, No one wants to no, no, Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's just a wild it's a wild that's a wild moment. That's a wild, wild moment. And I get him. I remember being I remember when they were about to read the verdict. I remember like being with like with my grandpa and being like I hope he's not guilty.
Speaker 2: I hope he's like bro, I had such a wild experience with that I was in fifth grade, right, and I happened to have been going to this majority white private school. So at home, it's just black people. How black people reacted to this in La right right at school, it was just white people, and it was like rich white Like I went to school with like like the Hurts ran at car kid and Jamie Lee Curtis's kid and stuff like that, and there were little white girls crying when they got the news, and this was like and you know then there's like nobody had Yeah, It's like when the news dropped, it was just like they might as well have been airing it in the class. That's how it was. That's how huge it was and how the situation was. Yeah, and it was just white wild for me at that age to see that level of like that split in the city of like, yeah, white folks were upset that day. It was like it was like twenty sixteen all over again. I've never seen that many like white people crying since that elected.
Speaker 1: But then yeah, but then it looked like when people were in the streets in twenty twenty when Trump lost, was kind of like what other parts of LA looked like. It was.
Speaker 2: It was it was a wild formative experience that OJ trial, because it's like they preempted all the cartoons. I was like nine or ten or something like that. It's like you couldn't watch Power Rangers, you couldn't watch Big Bad Beetleborgs, you watch reruns and Married with Children. It was just OJ for Like, what how long was that trial?
Speaker 1: Like a year?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least because the verdict came out in October of nineteen ninety five. So yeah, that's just that's just a weird. Look, I don't know, just like I get it from the significance standpoint, because obviously he's out, he's an outsized figure. But it's like the memorium part is very just like come on now, come on now, but we don't.
Speaker 2: We didn't didn't. That didn't have to happen.
Speaker 1: But anyway, here we are a strange world we live in, and we only have even stranger things.
Speaker 2: Ahead of us.
Speaker 1: That's not a promo for the new season of Stranger.
Speaker 2: Hitty hit the Miles season five, Get in y'all? That why I hit the bank account. He's like, look, let me look you guys about the new season.
Speaker 1: Let'll tell you about some stranger things now, what is eleven and the rest of the game gonna do as they fight Vekna or whatever the fuck? Uh shit. All right, well that's gonna do it for us today. We're gonna be back tomorrow with a new episode. H Glad you hung out with us, and the fun does continue, does continue, uh and so do the Stranger Things that we deal with on our day to day basis in the news and also check out Stranger Things the new season coming soon. All right, we'll talk to you tomorrow. Take care bye. Oh yeah, make sure to follow us on at Twitter. Wait, how do I do this intro? Yeah, you already know. It is Daily Guys at Daily Guys on Twitter, at the day Guys Instagram, Facebook footnotes.
Speaker 2: You already know.
Speaker 1: He's a production of I Heart Radio. For more podcasts, check out the heart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever get your podcasts. We'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Peace. Bye,