Speaker 1: From the heart of where innovation, money and power collide in Silicon Valley and beyond. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: Live from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up in Nvidia under pressure as Jensen one heads to China. Plus arch aviation plots in New York City, network for flying taxis, and TSMC earnings project confidence ahead of.
Speaker 3: A critical week of tech reports.
Speaker 2: We have some breaking news crossing the Bloomberg terminal. A federal judge says Google illegally monopolized some online advertising technology market. It is a blow to a very key part of this company's business. We're showing the stock. It moved to a session low down two percent following those headlines.
Speaker 3: Bloombos.
Speaker 2: Kaylee Lines joins me from Washington. Okay, the judge is given a partial ruling, so in some areas a yes, it says that Google has monopoly in advertising tech markets, not in others.
Speaker 3: What is the language the judge used? What do we know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: Ed.
Speaker 6: The judges finding that Google has violated the Sherman Anti Trust Acts, Section two of it, specifically by wilfully and this is the judge's words, acquiring and maintaining monopoly power in the open web display publisher ad server market and the open Web display ad exchange market. So servers and exchanges are what they have found to violate antitrust laws here, and the judge goes on to say that the court is going to be setting a briefing schedule at a hearing date to determine the appropriate remedies for these anti trust violations. It becomes a question, of course, of what those remedies are. Knowing that this is not the first anti trust difficulty that alphabet is facing, as Google already was found in a separate case to have also monopolize the search market, and the Justice Department is looking for a spinoff of its Chrome browser, specifically in a case related to search. So it becomes a question of whether or not there may be advertising portions of Google's business that also will be looking at spinning off if that is what the US pursues. The judge is going to consider all avenues. But the point here at is this is a second big loss for Google in the courts is they have been found to violate antitrust rules when it comes to at exchanges and servers. The judge did not find justification of a monopoly for a third market of tools that is used by advertisers to buy display ads, but still on two.
Speaker 3: Out of three.
Speaker 6: Essentially, the judge has ruled against this giant technology company.
Speaker 2: Often antitrust headlines the stock can be insulated from it. But we're down two percent. There's a clear reaction here. Bloomos K lines out of DC with an excellent summary of that breaking news. There is a lot happening in financial markets right now. This is a sort of picture of the session, and the themes of the moment are very similar to what we've discussed all week long. We're down around four tenths percent on the AZE like one hundred, but the underperformance is in the semiconductor space. That's the Philadelphia semi Conductor Index or SOCKS. It is under pressure in large part because of Nvidia, and Vidia's market cap now below two point five trillion dollars. The news continues to be that the United States requires them to hold an export license to ship h twenties the custom chip they made for the China market to that market. They did a write down. We're waiting to see what happens next gens and one is in Beijing.
Speaker 3: As we speak.
Speaker 2: TSMC is now at a session kind of low. It's up four tenths percent, but it's lost a great deal of its gains.
Speaker 3: Very simple story.
Speaker 2: This is the contract manufacturers of the world, the fabricator of the key chips in AI. They said that AI revenue will double and that they will grow twenty percent, and that the demand from what they're seeing is still intact. And that's where I want to start the analysis. Let's get to Bloomberg Mandeep saying of Bloomberg Intelligence, I mean there is a difference between a headline on tariffs and the real world impact on the supply chain for semiconductors. When you read the commentary that TSMC gave, it seems, particularly in the context of capital expenditures from the hyperscalers, things are still going well.
Speaker 7: They are.
Speaker 8: And look, they gave a long term guide when it comes to AI revenue, which they expect to expand. It a five year cake off mid forty percent, very impressive numbers. And even with this macro environment, they didn't see any demand destruction on the AI side. And I think that's key because you know, we saw Nvidia and AMD take a charge on the age twenties.
Speaker 9: I mean you could think, you know, they may.
Speaker 8: Have some capacity that goes under utilized, but certainly that's not the case. They did say smartphones was still weak. So if you talk about a pull forward scenario, I think it's definitely happening when it come to AI chips, but probably not so much at least in TSMC's numbers when it comes to smartphones.
Speaker 3: In video is worth discussion.
Speaker 2: The stocks down four percent, but I don't see any single catalyst, right. We know that Jensen Wong is in Beijing. Gensen one goes to China all the time to meet with employees. Principally, my interpretation of doing a write down is that this is not America saying age twenty doesn't conform to the rules. But the write down indicates that the license requirement in Vidio probably won't apply or has not applied.
Speaker 3: How do you read that, Mandy?
Speaker 8: I mean, look, I think the fact that they have to go through the process all over again, it's gonna take some time, and we know things move really fast when it comes to this AI chip wave.
Speaker 3: I mean they are.
Speaker 8: Already to their next architecture Blackwell and they're talking about Rubin, So from that perspective, I don't know how they'll be able to sell to that market. You know, chips that are two generations behind. I'm the current one that they are selling, and that's where you know, it's hard to sell that to someone else, even though the market is under supply. That's what we are hearing from TSMC. So clearly there is a lot of demand, but probably not for chips that are two generations behind. And I think that's how I would look at it.
Speaker 2: Man deep Seeing, who leads the team covering tech at Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you two key names in the market. Let's take a deeper look at the chip sector. Jordan Klein by side desk analysts that Missouri, Americas, and I'm trying to understand the pressure that's in the market right now. TSMC's ADRs are just modestly higher, but that was seen as a sort of a projection of confidence in the face of tariffs. What were the phone calls like that you had this morning and the things that crossed your.
Speaker 4: Desk, Well, hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 10: I mean it's relatively quiet, which I don't know if is a good thing or a bad thing. I think there would have been a lot more discussion and incoming calls had TSM change their outlook or not provided a very positive second quarter guide. I think people are really in that watch and weight mode obviously TSM and ASML. This week in the semiconductor space, with the two big earnings reports that people were going to you know, react to. ASML was a bit disappointing. Stock fell seven percent. TSM was very good and it was expected to be good, but it was all.
Speaker 4: You know, all signs clear.
Speaker 10: Everything looks good, both on the consumer front because they make a lot of product for Apple and PCs, as well as the AI front. So I think in Nvidia and I think it's pretty disheartening for people when they see the stock fading most of the early gains, because.
Speaker 4: This creates sort of a well, if the companies that.
Speaker 10: Are reiterating and sounding positive are not really trading up, what's that going to mean when the rest of semis or even tech reports and possibly lowers guidance.
Speaker 4: You know, what are the stocks going to do going to do?
Speaker 11: Then?
Speaker 10: So that's why I think no really rushing to buy either strength or add any to any names until they really see the stock reactions.
Speaker 2: We should point out in America it's a short trading week or shorter four day trading week, and though markets don't close earlier or anything on Thursday, I'm sure that there's some consideration of that towards the end.
Speaker 3: Of the week.
Speaker 2: But you said in your note that investors are highly engaged.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: They're going deeper on the research into supply chains or they want to know specifically about each of the fabulous chip names exposed to China or the fabs exposed as China.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by that.
Speaker 10: Jordan, Well, what I mean is is that people are definitely reaching out, asking questions, wanting to know what their peers are and the investment community are doing and thinking that's because the fundamentals really don't matter that much right now, unfortunately, So everyone's kind of feeling around trying to get a sense of these macro headlines, what would be perceived as you know, positive or negative, and what would cause people to get off their hands and deploy more capital.
Speaker 4: So that's what I mean by people are very engaged. They're not.
Speaker 10: They're not Actually, how do I say this? They're not anxious to go out and buy the dip. They're they're basically, but they do have a short list I think of names that they would prefer or names they would avoid.
Speaker 4: But they're very curious to see, like what is.
Speaker 10: It going to take to get people on the in the investment community incrementally more positive or negative?
Speaker 4: And unfortunately we just haven't seen enough yet to go off of.
Speaker 2: Next week we get earnings reports from the likes of Tesla and Intel. What do you need to see from those reports to give you some confidence.
Speaker 4: Well, they're very different, obviously.
Speaker 10: I mean for Tesla, I think it's it impacts a lot more of the retail investment community. I don't tend to speak to a lot of large mutual fund funds or institutional owners. Who are you hanging a lot on how Tesla sounds. I think the bar is relatively low for Tesla, so I think it's more about plans for new potential vehicles and timing on that front, because most of the checks and the initial monthly reports have not been great in terms of their unit sales. I think for Intel, it's not about the numbers. I think this quarter should be fine. There is some risk that maybe there's a little bit of downside next quarter. I think more so it's the new CEO taking charge and outlining some of the strategy and recall that the bigger event for Intel probably is going to come, I think on April twenty ninth, when they're hosting a investor update on their foundry business. I think that's where you'll get more details again on their strategy and the technology that they're trying to move forward.
Speaker 3: Jordan Klin in Missouri. It's great to have you back on the program. Thank you very much. Now, coming up on blue Berg Technology, the week comes to a close for.
Speaker 2: The ftc anti trust case against Meta. Will bring you the latest next, this is Bloomberg Technology. We've been covering the ftc anti trust trial against Meta all week. Yesterday, Meta's former COEO, Cheryl Samberg, was on the stand talking about the company's efforts to block competitors from advertising.
Speaker 3: On the platform.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Riley Griffin, who covers Meta for US, is back here in the San Francisco studio. That's interesting Cheryl Samberg kind of returning as a witness in this case. What was she asked? What was she talking about? And where did we end the week.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's really a great question. And one of the things the FTC has argued is that the introduction of ads to the platforms have actually degraded the quality of the services. And Cheryl Sandberg, the former CEOO, actually reversed that point and said that it has been a boon to the product, it has benefited users and really countered the argument the FTC has been making in this milestone.
Speaker 13: Of a week.
Speaker 2: Over the course of this short week, Meta stock is down seven percent.
Speaker 3: It's hard to draw a causal.
Speaker 2: Relationship between what's happening in that trial and the events of the stock market. Where do we kind of leave it? And I think it's probably important for the audience to understand this is a multi week process.
Speaker 3: It's going to go on for a while.
Speaker 12: We've got several weeks ahead of us. This was the headliner, if you will. We had three days of testimony from Mark Zuckerberg ten hours and several revelations from his emails. If you take a tour through them, you'll learn that Instagram was considered to be spun was considered to be spun.
Speaker 9: Off in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 12: We also learned about a six billion dollar bid for Snapchat. So a lot came up, but more weeks to come, and I think we'll continue to see volatility throughout The's.
Speaker 3: Riley Griffin covering all things Meta. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Over to DC, a bipartisan House committee says Chinese AI firm Deep Seek is a quoite profound threat to US national security, citing its ties to Chinese government interests and alleged circumvention of US export controls. Bast Mike Shepherd joins us with the details. There's a lot going on right now in the political sphere, but we're paying attention to the commentary of this committee.
Speaker 3: Why and what was said, Mike.
Speaker 14: Well, this is an important episode in this long running fubue with China over advanced technology, especially artificial intelligence. Remember, deep Seek made its big breakthrough writer as Donald Trump was taking the oath of office, and in the following week we really saw equities here in the US slide on fears that maybe this AI boom was oversold and overpriced because Deep Seek was promising to do things cheaper and perhaps faster and more efficiently using whatever technology it may.
Speaker 9: Have had at its disposal.
Speaker 14: Now the committee is raising questions about deep Seek on a couple of different levels. One is just what it does, and it is echoing concerns it has flagged about TikTok, and those are namely security related.
Speaker 9: One it's concerned that the.
Speaker 14: App is collecting user data here in the US and siphoning it back to China.
Speaker 9: Two, it is.
Speaker 14: Concerned that it may have ties and it cited corporate filings to the Chinese government similar claim it's made with relation to ByteDance and its ownership of TikTok. And three there's also concern that the platform itself could be censored to reflect Chinese views.
Speaker 9: And we have seen if you just run.
Speaker 14: A test on putting what happened in Tianamen Square, you're going to get a very different answer, and one that is much more in line with the Chinese government. The other question ed though, is export controls, and the committee recommended those because there is a concern that maybe deep Seek managed to get around those to obtain the chips.
Speaker 9: That it used.
Speaker 2: There was also a sort of forensic discussion of Nvidia's role with deep Seek. The number GPUs the deep Seak had from Nvidia, and amongst everything I saw the response from Nvidia. You know, in summary, that they follow the instructions of the US government to the letter. That's consistently what Nvidia says. What else do we need to know?
Speaker 14: Well, one thing that's important to understand here is that the committee is applying separate pressure on in Nvidia to get more information about how its chips are being sold across Asia, and they want information going all the way back to twenty twenty about its customers, not only in China, but in eleven nations across the Pacific Rim.
Speaker 9: They want to know how those H twenty chips.
Speaker 14: That Deep Seek is believed to have used may have ended up en mass in the firm's possession and helped it to develop that R one model and make it such a breakthrough. The concern is that in video, maybe it knows its customers, but maybe it doesn't as well in video. Of course, Yesterday responding very quickly to say that it abides by all US export restrictions and is eager to continue working with the US government, even as it tries to protect its business in China, which we see Jensen Wang doing with a visit to Beijing just in the past twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Mike Shepard thank you very much. Coming up on Bloomberg Technology, Perplexity is nearing a deal with smartphonemakers to take on the likes of Google's Gemini Virtual Assistant. We've got some details on Bloomberg reporting ahead. This is Bloomberg Technology. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. Ed Ludlow in San Francisco. I thought we'd look at markets over the course of five days, and that includes last Friday session, where then as that one hundred in particular ended.
Speaker 3: That week strong.
Speaker 2: It is a short trading week here in the United States. Fridays is a market's holiday. The overriding story is tariffs and tariff's anxiety. But when it comes to technology, I'm showing them as that one hundred, but it could as well just as well be semiconductor stocks. It's also about technology export controls. We've been talking about that all week on the five day track. With down about seven percent sixtens a percent on the Nasdaq one hundred in terms of single names, we're now going to shift how we focus. Right, all of the oxygen this week has been consumed by the chip names.
Speaker 3: Intel is down three percent.
Speaker 2: In part because on its earnings called TSMC said without naming Intel. It isn't working with anyone on technology or manufacturing sharing. That seems to have hit that stock. Tesla reports next week very interesting, not just on the company and supply chain, but Elon Musk and his role with DOGE and the US government. And then Netflix has buoyancy. If there's one name where things are different, it's in this name.
Speaker 3: Now. Wall Street's hoping Netflix can.
Speaker 2: Continue to provide the escapism it desperately needs. Shares of the streaming giant have risen nearly eight percent so far this year, risen eight percent, with many investors hoping it could be a safe haven away from the Tarif turmoil that has ruled much of financial markets. Nine percent, i should say, so far. In twenty twenty five, blumo's Ryan Voselica made this the subject of his musings and right this morning, first thing I read two am Pacific time. Why is Netflix able to stand out in this environment?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 9: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 15: So I'll say what one analyst said in a recent research report. Netflix has both offensive and defensive characteristics. It's still growing quite strongly. It's improving profitability in cash flow. The multiple is coming down, especially relative to its own history. But at the same time it is seen as quite recession resilient. People say that, you know, if there is a broader economic contraction or weakness, and Netflix subscription is not going to be the thing that you cut in order to save money.
Speaker 3: People think it gives you a good.
Speaker 15: Bang for your buck, and that's why people think you're gonna, you know, stay with it no matter what happens. So that's the reason why we're seeing the stock, you know, perform quite well this year.
Speaker 2: Next week for you, for I, for the Bloomberg Technology team is a big week because earning star in earnest is there a common thread between the Tesla's intels, netflixes and then this mag seven names the following week that the team is preparing for in its coverage.
Speaker 3: From the stock perspective, at least, well.
Speaker 15: I think everyone has focused so much on tariffs and outlooks and what these companies say about their expectations for the remainder of the year.
Speaker 3: There are so much uncertainty out there.
Speaker 15: We've already seen some very big companies pull their outlooks talk about how difficult it is to make forecasts in this kind of environment. If we see that continue with the big tech is given their size and influence and major indexes, it's likely that's going to have some broader ramifications.
Speaker 2: Ryan BLACEELCA have a good long holiday weekend in the States, get ready for next week, and Netflix is really what kicks it off right for more and what we can expect from Netflix in the streaming landscape more broadly, Magli grossim Science senior research analysts, joins us Now, I find that so interesting. I actually did a double take when we showed like the Netflix performance so far in the year, because all the other companies that we cover in our world are going through such pain. The streaming business broadly seems healthy.
Speaker 3: Is that what you see, Maglie, Yes, it is.
Speaker 7: I would say Netflix definitely has some different characteristics going on this quarter than some of their peers, and we definitely would see them as you know, like Ryan was saying, as safe haven through the rest of this year if we are to face increasing consumer uncertainty. I think Netflix has also really shown over the last few quarters, especially in Q four, with the blockbuster numbers they put up, that they're really separating from the pack and the others aren't able to compete in the same way that Netflix is largely due too.
Speaker 13: I think it's content slate.
Speaker 3: Well and just let's go. I was going to ask, what is it that separates them from the pack.
Speaker 2: You know, at home, we just started watching the latest season.
Speaker 3: Of Black Mirror.
Speaker 2: There are no spoilers on this show ever, no spoilers on Blueboats Analogy, but episode one was deeply upsetting. Had a very sort of big name cost. Is it just content? Is it pricing?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Why do they stand out?
Speaker 7: I think there's a few reasons. Content is a big one.
Speaker 2: You had.
Speaker 7: So if we go back a couple of years, a lot of the other streamers, even pre writer strike, they had started to cut content, spent in efforts to you know, try to aim toward profitability, given that's been such a challenge for these other streamers. So that was, you know, kind of gave them an additional hit on top of the writer's strike. And you really only get from these other streamers a couple Tempole releases. There's some great stuff, you know, Max Hulu, Paramount, but you don't get quite the volume. And all of these surprises that come out of Netflix continue to amaze people adolescents. I think is a big one. Not many people would have expected that to be, you know, top three of all time for Netflix series engagement, and that was again I think just a piece of evidence that they've got such an amazing global content engine.
Speaker 3: Maglie. How proactive does Netflix.
Speaker 2: Need to consider pricing when we think about the health of consumers around the world.
Speaker 7: I think they have a decent amount of pricing power left to go for sure. They obviously right now are in the midst of doing a price hike that they announced a couple months ago. We just saw that flow through to existing subscriber bills in March. So at a science, what we do is use all data in order to look at all of the subscriber trends, which we'll still be able to see even though the company is removing the reported subscriber numbers. So what we see with pricing right now, we are seeing a hit to churn, which we think is both related to price hikes as well as some cycle in cycle out activity from live events in Q four. But we ultimately think that's going to be temporary, and usually after Netflix pricykes, you get this temporary couple months of elevated churn relative to seasonal norms, and then it kind of abates thereafter, so we would expect it likely to be temporary. Even with that elevated churn, they still are far better than all of their peers in terms of retention.
Speaker 2: When I travel principally on tablet or my smartphone, I play a little bit with Netflix's mobile games. I don't really get the Netflix gaming story.
Speaker 3: I don't I get that.
Speaker 2: They're committed to it, But what do you see is the kind of long term from that business line, and what do you expect them to tell us more near term about what they're doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the near term is probably going to be a continuation of what we have heard from them on games the last few quarters, which is that it's still a small piece of the overall puzzle. They more so are viewing it as you know, a franchise benefit. So can they create a game about Emily and Paris that also drives, you know, overall engagement of the show and therefore it's part of their whole flywheel. So I think probably near term we'll see it continue to be a small piece of the overall puzzle for them, but long term could be contributing a bit more. I don't think it's ever going to be necessarily a key driver for them outside of you know, everything else that they have going on.
Speaker 2: Maglie, what's the biggest threat to Netflix and where does the competition come from?
Speaker 7: Biguess threat? I would say, I think, you know, content is something that they have to continue to stay ahead of the game on live events. I think in terms of what they have to spend on live events, that could become a trickier part. As they've gotten more involved in sports, which you know we've seen that do pretty well for them, that has caused, like I mentioned earlier, some cycle in, cycle out activity, So I think that could potentially change the retention profile, but also going to be you know, a great tool for them to get different parts of the market that they weren't previously able to get. And then the AD tier that's something that they've been you know, behind some of their peers on in terms of getting into that market. So that's something we definitely think that they should continue to ramp up. That that had a little bit slower of a start than I think a lot of people expected initially, but has done well the last few quarters. Q four they stated around fifty percent of sign ups that were choosing that AD tier and then we're seeing that continue to grow about ten percent year year in terms of the selection rate for gross ads opting into that ad.
Speaker 2: Tire Michaely Gross of M Science. Great to have you on the show. Thank you very much. Now coming up, we speak with Archer Aviation CEO Adam Goldstein.
Speaker 11: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 2: Arch Aviation hopes to reshape New York's air transportation, linking Manhattan to major airports using its midnight ev Tol aircraft. It's a vision that could take your journey from one to two hours in the car to as little as five minutes. Joining us now, Adam Goldtein, CEO and co founder of arch Aviation. Okay, let's go to the basics first, the map, the hubs and the airports that you want to connect.
Speaker 9: Well, thanks Ed.
Speaker 5: We are building the future of aviation here, and so today we announced our New York route network where we will be really trying to execute on the home to airport trips, really focusing on nine core locations, the large international airports GfK, LaGuardia, Newark, the big heliports located in Manhattan West Side, east Side, and the Downtown Skyport, and then also the big regionals, Teterborough, Westchester.
Speaker 2: Air Long Island, Adam, we need to reflect on the tragic events of last week, right of a helicopter that crashed in New York City to the Hudson. I bring that back with the context. I've spent a lot of time with arch aviation, right, and one of the pitches that you have is that the technology relies in part on pre certified components.
Speaker 3: In other words, the FAA knows.
Speaker 2: These components because they are more commonplace in other aircraft. But those watching want to know the safety confidence that you have. How does the Midnight compare to a normal helicopter and what redundancies have you put in place to make it safe.
Speaker 5: So these aircraft are powered by an electric powertrain, and that's really the key new technology that enables this new level of redundancy that we haven't seen before with vertical left aircraft. And so the Midnight aircraft has twelve electric engines, it has a big wing, and it has redundancy built into the entire system that enables a very very safe flight. And that's the type of safety that cannot be offered today with helicopters. So this is something that we're aligned with not only the FAA, but really the future of aviation to keep bringing and keep innovating in the aviation industry, to make products.
Speaker 3: Safer and safer.
Speaker 2: Adam, you have an aggressive and ambitious timeline. Not just in New York City, other parts of America, are the parts of the world where does FAA certification stand, because you cannot deploy until you get that.
Speaker 5: So actually, we've been working around the world to enable an ecosystem to allow us to launch, and in fact, one of our biggest supporters and big investors in DABI, has created a pathway to allow us to launch as early as this year, and so we've been partnered with the country and we have found a pathway to now start early operations. Now, of course it'll be very low scale to really prove out the concepts, prove out a lot of the safety case here, but then the global regulators can leverage that data to really de risk the platforms. And so we will launch there as soon as this year, with a goal to launch in the US via the FAA shortly after that.
Speaker 2: Have you met with the new administration and key members like Transport Secretary Duffy.
Speaker 5: I have the new administration has been very forward leaning and very supportive of the industry. They want to see products made in America, they want American innovation, they want America to lead in aviation. So yes, I did spend time with Secretary Duffy. I have spent time down at mar Lago, and the new administration has been very supportive and I'm confident will continue to be a good alley of the industry.
Speaker 2: Adam Goldstein of Archre Aviation, It's great to have you here on Bloomberg Technology, Thank you very much. Meanwhile, ev Maaker x Pong is looking to ramp up its global expansion despite geopolitical uncertainty. CEO he Jupeg spoke exclusively with Bloomberg Steven Engel and began by addressing the tariff uncertainty.
Speaker 11: That's all.
Speaker 16: She also, for a company, we expect stability in any case. Stability will bring political, economic and cultural certainty, and only then we can formulate a clear corporate strategy. So we deeply believe that stability is above all. In fact, Europe is the focus of Explain's globalization strategy, and we will strengthen our business in regions including Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Central America and South America. However, we still hope that one day more Chinese companies will be able to expand their businesses into other countries, including North America, understable policy conditions.
Speaker 17: We know that the Chinese and the Europeans have restarted talks about this minimum price mechanism potentially to replace the tariffs which can go as high as forty five percent into the EU. How would that affect your plans for the European market Potentially would that mean scaling back on the immediate need to have your own production bases in Europe.
Speaker 16: Well, we have noticed this news, but I believe the talks are still in their early stages. For me, the certainty lies in the terror policies that China and you're clearly implement it last year. As we expanin, we firmly believe that only through localization in areas of localized R and D service, manufacturing and sales, can we ultimately achieve comprehensive globalization. So we are working on how to better implement our localization strategy in Europe and other regions. In the future, we will announce our localization strategy in certain countries and expect to have more localization strategy in more markets.
Speaker 17: Let's talk about chips, because you need these chips across the board, whether it's your flying cars, your humanoid robots, your industrial robots, and of course self driving robotaxis and the like.
Speaker 9: How critical was it to build.
Speaker 17: These chips in house, not necessarily rely on the Nvidia for chips and create your own touring chips. Was this because it's cheaper, or because of export controls, or because you have to meet certain requirements from the Chinese government that more chips in these kind of products need to be made in China.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Actually, companies like Tesla and Apple are developing their own chips, and they're certainly collaborating with Nvidia and many other chip suppliers. According to our research, each expang vehicle contains fifty five hundred chips from global suppliers. Given the large number of chips, the reason the XPAN is working on the in house chips is that we hope we can leverage our own capabilities. For instance, if we aim to achieve autonomous driving and use global autonomous driving systems, we need chips that can help our autonomous driving perform better in conditions like nighttime and glare. We hope to maximize the performance of the chips, and at this point there is a huge value of customized chip. So in the future, we believe we will collaborate with many chip suppliers, including Nvidia, while continuing to focus on developing our own customized AI chips.
Speaker 2: That was x Pong CEO hu Jaopeng speaking with their own Steven engeln are coming up. Open ai looks to a three billion dollar acquisition that could supercharge its coding ambitions.
Speaker 3: That Bloomberg scoop.
Speaker 2: Next, let's get a quick check back on that breaking story about Google. A judge has found that Google was partially guilty of illegally monopolizing parts of the advertising technology market. And what we're seeing is alphabet shares under pressure down one point five percent. Elsewhere advertising in ad tech related socks really rallying on that news a partial finding a monopolistic practice by Google.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 11: Next, this is Bloomer Technology.
Speaker 2: Open ais and talks to acquire AI assisted coding tool Windsurf for about three billion dollars.
Speaker 3: That's according to sources.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Rachel Metz broke the story with the team and if I remember correctly, until several days ago, Windsurf was known as Odium. But this is a significant acquisition for open ai if it happens, In fact, the biggest by open ai.
Speaker 18: Yeah, but the biggest pie quite a bit if it goes through. In our reporting we found out that open ai and Windsurf are talking about open THEI buying Windsurf for about three billion dollars. And you know, things could change, but it would make a lot of sense for open ai to buy this company given that it and other companies have increasingly expanded into the market for AI coding assistance.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the space for coding assistance like Windsluf's not the only name, and why is it something that open ai just can't do themselves.
Speaker 13: Open ai actually does some of this stuff itself.
Speaker 18: Also competitors like Anthropic, their AI models focus increasingly on coding, and in a lot of cases, these large language models have gotten better and better.
Speaker 13: They've been trained to be better and better at coding.
Speaker 18: But there's also like an increasing space here their companies such as Windsurf. There's also there's githubs codec or sorry co pilot. There's also Cursor, which comes from any sphere, and these companies are growing fast and they're getting users, and they're users that are paying, and that's a key here.
Speaker 13: You need people to pay for these AI products.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't long ago that I was introduced to windsurf at that time known as Codium, Like literally not long ago. It seems to have grown and commercialized very quickly.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 18: It's funny because a few months ago, people were constantly talking about Cursor.
Speaker 13: Everywhere you went, it was Cursor, Cursor, Cursor, within this everywhere you went, within this AI sphere.
Speaker 18: People are still talking about Cursor a lot, and it's still extremely popular. But then I started to hear, you know a little bit more recently windsurf, Windsurf, windsurf. So there's a there's definitely room for a few competitors here, and it seems like open Ai thought that this would be a really good one to snap up the.
Speaker 2: Most Rachel Mets with great reporting from the tech team appreciate it. But that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. I want to go back to some of the names that we've been watching throughout the show. Right, this is what they look like in the moment, specifically focused on Google, A judge finding that partially they had monopolistic practices in the ad tech market that breaking news.
Speaker 3: TSMC's US shares.
Speaker 2: Have given up gains after really strong earnings report, and Netflix is just around the corner and it is standing out in the tech sector which is under pain. So much more to come next week. This is Bloomberg Technology