Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I have conversations that.
Speaker 2: Put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. In a culture that glorifies youth, embracing your age is kind of a radical statement. As a nineties and two thousands kid, I remember being bombarded with messages about aging, particularly from women. Do you remember Regina George's mom clinging to her youth in Mean Girls? Or Rachel Greene's emotional thirtieth birthday party and friends. A lot of us have been taught that our age isn't just something we need to hide, but a yearly reminder that the clock is ticking on our life. But today's guest is helping us completely rethink all of that. Heidi Clements is an author and screenwriter whose career is currently in the midst of a reinvention thanks to her refreshingly honest social media account at Welcome to Heidi. She's a former entertainment news producer, which is how we initially met, and now Heidi is focused on telling her own story. She shares nuggets of wisdom from her more than six decades of being a human, all while showing off her very unique sense of style and self. What's amazing about Heidie's account is the vast majority of her hundreds of thousands of followers.
Speaker 1: Aren't women in their fifties and sixties. They're women in their twenties and thirties. And I think that's proof that as we age, as we look at the often daunting road ahead, many of us want to feel better about it. We're trying to deprogram the messaging we learned when we were young that we expire, and quite honestly, I think that messaging was met to scare us, because as I look at the women in my life, as they age, they get happier and they get better. Today, Heidi is telling us her story through the decades, her twenties, thirties, forties, fifties and beyond, and before she declares sixties as the most joyful time of her life, from grief to heartbreak, to financial ups and downs, toxic workplaces and sobriety. Heidi is going there with us today as living proof that aging is full of beauty, complexity, and wonder and so often that means the best is still yet to come. I want to kick off with your twenties, because I barely remember my twenties.
Speaker 2: I feel like I blacked out. Do you have a good memory of your twenties? Started in New York. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was twenty one when I graduated from Emerson College, and I moved home for a year and my dad built me an apartment in the bottom of their house, so I had like my own apartment, but it was still under their thumb. And I worked in advertising, and I would take the Staten Island ferry every day and two subways to get to my job. It was nineteen eighty three, Yeah, nineteen eighty three, and so it was really popular to wear your work outfit but wear stockings and then white anklets and tennis sneakers and then switch into your pumps. And I was like, fuck that, I'm wearing my pumps all the time the whole time, which I've always now I'm only in sneakers. But yeah, I was like running in high heels since I was twenty one years old. So most of my twenties were really about just finding my initial independence. I moved into the city after about a year at home, and it was my first New York City apartment, and it was really just about like becoming a person. You know, I was under my parents' guidance and very very strict British parents for years, and it was just about discovering like who I was and what was fun. And it was a wonderful time to be in your twenties. There was no social media. You had no idea if you were winning or losing or passing or failing. You were just living your life and all of these clubs were opening, and you know, it was the eighties. It was just magic.
Speaker 2: Is there a word that's defined that, Like in hindsight has defined your twenties?
Speaker 3: Just fun, free, fun, fun, fun, fun and free. I was so free.
Speaker 2: I love that you mentioned social media because you've had this sort of new life happened in the last year or two with social If you look back at your twenties and there was social media available, do you think it would have been very different for you?
Speaker 3: Oh, it would have been awful. Because I've been able to grow up not thinking that people are thinking about me, or saying anything about me, or focused on me at all. And so I've lived my life unapologetically without worrying what people think about me. Because they would have had to physically come up to me and tell me, and nobody did that. So there was such a freedom to growing up in the eighties and seventies and eighties and sixties that I feel badly for people that, you know, it's that comparison is the death of joy. Like you just all you do is look at what everybody else is doing. I didn't know what people were doing. I was getting a summerhouse in the Hampton's with my friends, and I was going out every single night, and I was working crazy jobs, and I was, you know, living in New York City. I was living, you know, fucking Carrie what's her name, Bradshaw. I was Carrie Bradshaw, just like wearing Betsy Johnson and going to clubs and drinking and making out with boys and bars, and it was just amazing.
Speaker 2: I love that you say Carrie Bradshaw because when I was reading about it, that's that's the first name that came to my mind. But I know you kind of hate that show.
Speaker 3: I hate, and just like that I hated so much. And the truth is I went back and watched Sex and the City a few times, and the truth is it veered off of what was so wonderful about it, which was women, you know, growing up and coming into their own And yes it was about sex, but it was about not the physical act of sex. It was about your sexuality and finding who you loved and dating and being in the workplace. And it was about so much more than just getting late. And the news show is so like, yes, older women are still having bets. Like what ever, no one cares about it. Nobody over fifty gives a shit about sex. Maybe like one out of twenty. Really, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So wait, I'm going to save that till you till the fifties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually problem. Okay, So I was having a lot of sex in my twenties for sure.
Speaker 2: I didn't know your parents were strict and it's making me laugh because you're such a wild child.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. They were British and both British and did not understand Americans at all.
Speaker 2: What was your self esteem like in your twenties.
Speaker 3: I think I liked myself. I don't really remember, but I think I thought I was pretty cool and fun to be around. I think I don't think I thought that I could get any guy I wanted. I definitely did not feel confident about men, which you know.
Speaker 2: In your book you say that you're not good at relationships. Yeah no, But do you feel like, knowing what you know now, any of those twenty year old relationships would have been different.
Speaker 3: Well, I will probably, you know, so many of them were forged in alcohol, so that was a problem. And I would not put up with any of the shit that I put up with in my twenties, Like, no way would I have done that. But you know, we're taught that you're supposed to get married and you're supposed to have kids, and so you put up with so much fucking bullshit just because you think a guy's cute. And I mean, I would love to go back and repeat some of those motherfuckers as I said, and punch them all in the face. So I curse a lot. Sometimes I feel.
Speaker 1: The anger because I actually when I think back on my twenty one year old self and how I dealt with men, I get angry too, like I can't believe that I have allowed certain things.
Speaker 3: I get the oh my god. Yeah, I mean there's one guy I just would like to just would literally run him down with my car and going to jail for murder just I think the judge would let me off if I told him what he did. But yeah, I just the disrespect, and you know, in general, the disrespect for women. Just growing up in the workforce in the eighties was just a shit show, you know. And I was pretty tough, so most people did not mess with me. But it was it was a lot. It really was a lot.
Speaker 2: Did you have women at work that were supportive of you or what.
Speaker 3: Was that they were worse? I mean I've had some of the worst female bosses man, I mean, notorious, legendary, hideous women, and I was like just fucking you know, catnip to them, like ooh, let me take down this chick that thinks she's tough. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: It was all break you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've felt that from men and women though. You know, if you're a strong confident person, people want to break you down because it makes them feel less confident in themselves. You know. It's always like I always say, if someone's telling you something they don't like about you, just hold a mirror up to them so that they're actually speaking to their correct person, which is themselves. Like I just bring out a lot of things in other people that they're afraid of, which is hilarious because it's not like I'm walking around going I'm amazing like me, Like, I definitely don't feel that way, you know, I'm winging it like everybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have this like strength or I don't know what the word is, but you are so forcefully yourself and I think people like I talked to a rabbi and he said that on people's deathbed, their biggest regret is they didn't live their authentic life they live have Your parents are for somebody else, and you really live for you.
Speaker 3: I do, And I think that's what I preach the most. And I think the thing that's made it easy easier for me as you know, people say that I am unapologetic about how I live, but I think I'm shameless about how I live, Like I refuse to have shame for being different, for not doing what everyone else tells you that you're supposed to do, you know, get married, have kids. I think there's so much joy in all the shit that I went through because I came out the other side, you know. And I think I always say that the most important thing to me is to leave here better than I came, and I definitely think I will.
Speaker 2: Were there moments or are there still moments where you find yourself tending towards the norm in any way? Like do you feel that pressure still?
Speaker 3: No nobody cares about you once you hit fifty, They're like, yeah, she's done, stick a fork in her, she's done.
Speaker 2: Do you really feel that way?
Speaker 3: You don't need to pay attention to her anymore. It's not how I feel, it's how it is. It's one hundred percent how it is in this country, in this world, women are dead after fifty. They become invisible. They are told that they are worthless because you know, you are only judged or valued for your sexuality, and you're no longer considered sexual after fifty, and women have to fight their way through a decade of feeling invisible and undervalued. Like it hits you at fifty like a light switch. It's weird, and then you know you get to sixty and you're finally you have no fox left to give and you're finally like the person you were meant to be all along.
Speaker 2: I'm screwing up my outline for this interview because you're you're so interesting, but go backwards, Well, to just take it back to your twenty for a second. What's the one thing that you wish that Heidi in her twenties knew.
Speaker 3: Confidence, just full like that everything's going to be okay if you just be you, just be you, okay, live your life. Okay.
Speaker 2: So in your thirties, wait, actually, moisturize.
Speaker 3: I didn't moisturize enough.
Speaker 2: Any specific moisturizer that we should be using.
Speaker 3: I just moisturized your body. I took care of my face, but not my body, and my skin's so dry still. Yeah, I don't know. I got a lot of moisturizer tips, but yeah.
Speaker 2: What's the one where that would define your thirties drunk?
Speaker 3: Sadly?
Speaker 2: Oh, Heidi, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Hmm. Yeah. It was the decade that I got very, very very drunk and buried all of the things that I think I didn't know about my childhood or didn't I guess I knew, but I didn't know, and so I got You know, I was a very functioning drunk. But I always say I was too busy being drunk to get married or have like a real relationship because I was burying everything in booze. And it started out as fun. But by the end of my thirties, when I had moved to Los Angeles at thirty six, it was a disaster. And it was a disaster for four years before I finally quit just six months before my fortieth birthday. Well, you know, I was supporting myself my whole life, and so I was a very functioning drunk. I would go to work and I always work was everything to me because it was my passion. It wasn't just like, oh, I'm going to go clock in at the soda shop. You know, it was writing and creating and producing. At the time when I was here, I was at Access Hollywood and I was the head writer. And I got up one morning, you know, we had to be in at like six am, And I got up one morning at five thirty and I decided to have a drink and I got drunk, and I was like, fuck, I can't go to work. I can't go to work drunk. Although I probably had many times before, like had a level of hangover that was close to being drunk, but it terrified me. And let me tell you, there were plenty of moments before that that should have been the bottom, like getting pulled over by the cops, having the cops show up at my house when I disappeared one night getting thrown off an airplane, like there were many things that should have made me quit, and I didn't. And so I realized, like, well, now my job is in jeopardy and I'm fucked. If I lose my job, that's it. I lose my home, I lose everything. And so it was a Thursday, I continued to get drunk. I called every person that I was close to and cared about, including my parents, who I knew would not like this news, and my sisters, and I said, I am an alcoholic. I need to quit drinking, and I just hope that you'll support me. And I got drunk through that weekend, and that Monday morning I started my journey into sobriety. I think I went to one AA meeting not for me, and so I just white knuckled it. And it's been twenty three years. Whoa be twenty four years in June?
Speaker 2: I've never heard that. That's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I just did not like AA. It was all like hand this over to God. And the thing about being an alcoholic for me was I felt like everyone was so ashamed of their alcoholism, you know, like, keep it quiet, don't tell anyone alcoholics anonymous. And I was like, I want to tell everybody. It's not my fault I became an alcoholic. I didn't molest me when I was a kid. I didn't rape me when I was drunk at thirty six, blackout, drunk in my apartment like I didn't. I wasn't the person who didn't nurture me as a child. Like, it's not my fault. So I handed the shame back to the people that deserved it. And I went about getting my life together for me so that I could live my life sober and solve my problems rather than bury them in shardenay. And I was like, if God has time for my chardonay problem, we've got bigger problems, you know. And people in AA were giving these speeches and I just thought, guys, just pull yourself together, just stop fucking drinking. And so it makes it I'm a little tough on people who drink, because you know, they because of this and because of that, and everyone has a lot of excuses. Just quit drinking, Yeah, do it.
Speaker 2: I often hear from people who struggle with addiction that it gets really lonely. Was that true for you at all, because it sounds like you got sober without a community around you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't let it take me out. I went out every night and I drank mocktails, and I drank you know, they tell you not to drink non alcoholic beer water, I don't know. It didn't make me drunk. So I drank non alcoholic beer or I had somebody make me a mocktail. And then when it got to the point in the night where people were getting wasted, I left. I went home. And you know, there have been moments throughout the years. I think when I worked on Baby Daddy, on a set where I had a lot of fomo, you know. But the truth is nothing good happens after midnight, and nothing good happens when you are just so drunk you can't even remember your name. And I think people are afraid that they won't be themselves without booze, And the truth is, you're not yourself with booze. You've just developed this new personality, and you'll get back to who your real personality is without booze and be fun and all of your problems disappear. Because you actually face them and deal with them when you're sober, and you can drive yourself anywhere. And I became so much more curious about life when I got sober.
Speaker 2: Say more about that, What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that has kept me young is that I'm so curious about life. Like I see something on the internet, I'm like, Ooh, I want to try that. Oh I want to go do that. Ooh I want to go eat there. Oh what's that about? And you know, when you're drunk, you're just going out with your friends, getting hammered and going home. You're not curious about anything in life except what's in your drink and what boy can you make out with? And there's a lot more to life than that, you know. And I think being a curious person is just the best thing that you can be. And it's okay to do things alone. You know, you can go on vacations alone, you can go to the movies alone, you can go to dinner alone. I think take the stigma off of that, and you know, become your own best company. And I think that happened sober, so that aloneness made me sort of date myself. So I didn't look at it as lonely. I looked at it is I have a whole new person to hang out with me.
Speaker 2: I really like that were you, because everybody on the internet is obsessed with how you dress.
Speaker 3: It's such a.
Speaker 2: Part of who you are. Did you have that style in your thirties?
Speaker 3: I think I don't think I had. I think I always loved fashion, for sure, but I don't think I started thinking about style until I was forty, until I really soaked into Sex and the City and I started watching Jenna Lyons, who had taken over at Banana Republic. And I still learn every day from other people on the internet. You know, it's all about I realized it wasn't about the clothes so much as the confidence and you know, making sure that you are wearing your clothes and your clothes aren't wearing you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Because I grew up in the Midwest with like parents who were like things don't matter, I never really thought about style. And then when I moved to LA I had to learn because of my job. Yeah, and recently I met a Vogue writer, Rachel Besser, who put it in a way that I finally felt comfortable with. And she was like, you know, when you walk into a room, you're telling people about yourself. You're saying something with your clothing, with your sunglasses, whatever, it is, the way that you would with your words or your warmth. Yeah, and so I think that's what you do. Like so much of your personality is to me. I get to know you a little bit, and so much of that is conveyed in your belts and your cool skirts and your socks and all the things that you mix and match.
Speaker 3: I feel that way about my tattoos also. I think that's why I got, you know, full sleeves basically starting at fifty years old, because I wanted them to speak for me when I went somewhere. I wanted them to say, like, she's cool, She's okay, Yeah, even though she's older, she's cool. You can hang out with her. Because you do become so invisible at fifty, I wanted to do something that made me stand out a little bit more. I didn't start them till I was fifty, so I think it was your first tattoo. My first was a Tarot card temperance on my arm because it used to come up in my readings all the time. With my psychic this and she's like, this is your spirit temperance. Temperance and I didn't know what that meant, but it means to abstain from alcohol, which is insane. And so I had temperance tattooed, the whole tarot tattooed on my arm and it was huge, and I was like, oh shit, wow, okay, well I've done it now, and then I just kept adding to it. I added a lot. It's the one tattoo I don't love that much because it's very rudimentary, even though it's exactly what I asked for. And now I sort of surround myself with flowers and butterflies and birds, and I just, you know, so that I can just hug myself as in a garden, my own garden.
Speaker 2: We skipped over or skipped forward a little bit. But to finish out your thirties, yeah, it's something that you wish. Heidi in her thirties.
Speaker 3: Knew stop drinking. It's not drunk, is dumb, it's poison. It is poison. Get high on life.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's this Jane Fonda quote that you brought up on your Instagram. She said life is separated age wise into three acts. In the third act, you go back to your first act, your girlhood, and you become all the things you were supposed to be, because at the time you never really knew who you were because you were too busy trying to be who other people wanted you to be. I want to know, with what you know now, what would you not waste your time on in your forties?
Speaker 3: In my forties, God, I mean, I guess it would have to be worrying about what other people think about you.
Speaker 2: Interesting that you had none of that in your twenties, but you felt it in your forties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when did social media start? I don't know, interesting to start then, Facebook and all that. Probably the reason I think I thought about that then is because I was newly sober, and I was just a giant, raw, open wound that I always likened to like I was dancing on the head of a pin at all times, and so you constantly thought about what people were thinking about you, because oh god, they all know that I was drunk because I'm sober now and they're all talking about me. And so I think I thought more. I was just more aware because it was I wasn't drunk and so I was more aware of people and opinions and things that were happening. So yeah, so I think just that just I mean, that's a life thing too. But I really thought about it more for sure in my forties than I did in my thirties.
Speaker 2: Did you enjoy your forties?
Speaker 3: They were wroth because I was just discovering who I was for the first time in twenty years. I always had good jobs, I didn't have to worry about that, and places to live, and made good money and had good friends. But I just think I was I don't know that I was like checked into anything in particular. I was just sort of going with the flow.
Speaker 2: When you say checked in, do you mean the way I take it? At least? Was I felt like at like twenty eight, And then at thirty I had I was like a sleep and I kind of had this awakening that I had been sleep walking a little bit through life. Is that what you mean by.
Speaker 3: I just mean? I don't know. I think I just mean like checking into the concept of living, you know, And it was so free and easy in my twenties and thirties, and now I was just much more aware of things like, oh shit, I didn't have kids? Should I do that? Do I need to do that? And I went to a guy ecologist and found out like how difficult it was going to be, and I was like, okay, fuck it, I guess I'm not having kids, And then coming to GRIPS with that the idea that I was never going to be a parent, and just checking into all the life markers that you're supposed to hit that I didn't hit, and that people still reminded you like, oh, you're single. I can't believe you never got married. You're so pretty, like that's the reason why you don't get married. So I was still in I was, you know, I hadn't hit fifty yet, so I was still like saveable. I still could have led a real life according to society. And so I think I was just more checked into the societal rules and markers that I was not hitting as far as marriage, kids, buying a home and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Did the kid stuff hurt No, not at all. Because you you said like you had to come to GRIPS.
Speaker 2: What is that mean?
Speaker 3: I mean, I just you know, So I went to the gynecologist and she said, okay, well, if you want to get pregnant. You know your forty it's geriatric now, so here's it's not gonna be easy, and you're gonna have to do this and take this and go here and shoot this. And I was like, I don't want to do any of that, and I was it was a very quick, easy decision, like, Okay, I guess I'm not gonna have kids. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Do you have any romantic relationships in your forties that you felt were like something that no?
Speaker 3: So sadly they tell you that when you get sober, you should not have a relationship for a year, okay. And I made the mistake of getting involved with a big, fat liar about six months into my sobriety, and it wrecked me. It just absolutely wrecked me and just reminded me that I was not strong enough for heartbreak again. And it was a big mistake. And I haven't had a relationship since, to be honest with you, it's been twenty some odd years. And I just realized that I just needed to have a relationship with somebody who cared about me, and that was me.
Speaker 2: Did you can I ask more about that anything you want? What about that one wreck? Do you like, was it that you gave it, you really gave of yourself to him and you trusted him, or what about it.
Speaker 3: So it was somebody that I was working with and he was moving to la and he was enamored with me, and he was, you know, my girlfriend, I have a girlfriend, and she was supposed to move here with me, but I am so madly in love with you and I can't wait to start a life with you. He love bombed me to have sex, and it was probably one of the only times in my life that I can remember that I had sober sex and it was a completely different type of sex than any sex I had ever had before. And then right after that happened, he said, my girlfriend's actually moving here and we're moving in together. It was just a lie to get me, and I just couldn't believe. I didn't know what love bombing was at the time, and I just it just made me not trust anybody, including myself, and I was just like, I'm just gonna take a little break. I'm going to take that year that they say you should take. I mean, I'm so grateful it did not ruin my sobriety it should have, And I still hate him the most out of anybody, and like, I have friends that work with him still and he's famous and on TV, and it drives me crazy because he just really could have ruined me, you know. One year turned into two, turned into three, turned into well not that interested. Yeah, And I don't talk about that a lot because I think people think, like, if you haven't had sex in a certain amount of time, people think there's something wrong with you, and how how can you actually live your life and be out there walking around on two feet and oh no, wonder why you're so angry because you need to get laid and all of it. Oh god, that's a very popular expression from my forties.
Speaker 2: That's so mean.
Speaker 3: That's a very popular And I always say, like, your penis is not the hug that I need, trust, trust and believe. So yeah, I just that was it.
Speaker 2: So I had a big, fat liar too.
Speaker 3: I've had a lot, but that one was first one. Sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 3: You weren't you engaged? No, you were living in Chicago with someone though right when I met.
Speaker 2: I met you when I lived here in la and then I moved to Chicago for a morning show gig, and when I moved back. I moved in with a guy. Oh yeah, okay, and he was a big, fat liar and exactly, I still like, I'm so over Itctually, I'm at the point where I wish him well. But when I think about it, I have like this physical reaction in my chest. It just when somebody makes you not trust yourself, it hurts me badly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I've had that experience many times because of the person that I am. I think I am. I've said it in one of my stories, like I'm such a narcissist magnet, and I'm sure you're the same way. It's like, you know, a narcissist sees a tough girl and they're like, ooh, that's a challenge. I'm going to take that one down.
Speaker 2: Is that what? I didn't know that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they love a challenge.
Speaker 2: Interesting, they want to break you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they love it. I've had that happen so many times. Oh my god, and I don't know how I didn't fucking learn.
Speaker 2: Do you recognize it now?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the good part, right, like you see it right away.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, I mean, I think that's why it's so hard for me. To date now because you have to be of goddamn, I'm not, but you have to be we.
Speaker 2: Do Wait, did we pick a word for our forties? I forgot.
Speaker 3: I think terrified. Honestly, I was just so raw. I would say raw, you know, just trying to figure it all out.
Speaker 2: So coming into your fifties, this is where I get really excited to talk about your life. Is there a word that you think to find your fifties.
Speaker 4: I guess maybe it would be like reborn. Yeah, I like that one because it was yes, you become invisible, but in the invisibility there's so much power. When you realize that people aren't paying attention to you anymore, you are just one hundred percent free to be yourself. And I think the fifties is when I started giving less far about what people thought about me. I mean everyone thought like, oh, you don't care what people think about it, But I mean, of course you do, like they tell you constantly. So not only was I feeling more powerful, but I got my dream job as a scripted writer, and so everything was just exactly where I.
Speaker 3: Wanted it to be. You know, I owned a home, I bought my first house. I was becoming just like who I wanted to be. I felt really free about being who I was. I was working this magical job. It was just a really great time. And you know, I think the hard part about being fifty for a lot of women is dating. And so I was so grateful that I did not care one iota about men. I never really have cared about relationships. They just pulled me in. They all found me, sucked me into it when I was younger, but I was never someone who judged them whether or not I had a boyfriend, I didn't whatever. Yeah, I think it was just such a great rebirth of who I was. You know, I was ten years sober. It was great.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the magical job, but I think for people to appreciate the magical job, we have to go back to the non magical ones a little bit. Yeah, because you write all about toxic workplace culture in your book, and that's actually how I got introgued when we met. Then I went home and read your pink cover and your book. I ordered it on Amazon and I was like.
Speaker 3: Holy shitt, oh my god, Yeah I was. And actually I turned fifty and went to I took a bunch of friends to London and Rome and my most toxic boss crashed the trip and she's one of the chapters in my book. And she was the tail end of the toxic workplace for me. Yeah, I worked with just insane people and television back then, tabloid TV and news and entertainment news was so toxic, like nobody would get away with what they got away with. And in my book, I write about that last boss and the head of the network read that chapter and said, is she really like this? We need to get rid of her immediately, and they fired her finally.
Speaker 2: And that's how it happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's still trying to assume me. Probably she hates me, but whatever. Yeah, and that was I think. You know, that's the one thing I really regret about that time in my life is that. And I spoke up to these women. I did, but I wish I fought harder to take them out.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so hard at work because in large corporations like I don't even know how you take someone out, Like there's so many like legal steps, yeah and all that nonsense.
Speaker 3: Well, I went to HR after this last boss. You know, we were at the Royal wedding in London, and she was so abusive to the first Royal wedding, and she was so abusive to me that I called HR from London and said, I am literally with like an abusive boyfriend who won't let me break up with them, and I need out and you need to get me out and I am not going back to that job when we get back, and I'm never showing up again. And they helped me get out, but they knew that she was a problem. They were like, yeah, we know she's got it, but they didn't care because she made money for them.
Speaker 2: You write in your book, every day at work was an adventure in insanity. This boss actually loved to scream and yell at people, and the bigger the crowd that was watching, the better.
Speaker 3: Yeah. She fed off the energy of just hate and anger.
Speaker 1: How do you make this pivot into screenwriting because you start working for Baby Die?
Speaker 2: Do you say in so many interviews that this was your dream job?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I always wanted to be a scripted writer.
Speaker 2: Nonscripted, unscripted. It's so like, it's very hard to make that leap.
Speaker 3: Very it's impossible.
Speaker 2: Women do it.
Speaker 3: It's impossible, And you know, people ask me all the time, how can they do what I did? And you can't because it was such a unique situation, you know, I, while I was at entertainment tonight, I had been writing scripts for ten years on my own. I had no schooling or I didn't know what I was doing. And I had been writing for ten years. And I had a best friend and we would pass scripts back and forth to each other. And when I was at entertainment tonight, he was coming in to pitch something at Paramount, which was on the same lot. And I had written a script called Psycho about a couple, Sydney and Colin, and the first half was all female and the second half was all male. And you would answer one question, they would act out like how men and women see things one statement, how they hear it totally differently. And I think the first episode was like, you know, do you want to come back to my place? And girls think, you know, do you want to come back to my place? And boys think, do you want to have sex? He pitched his three ideas, two of his and mine, and mine was the one that they bought. And so we went to the CW and we cast it, and we cast Nick Lache they made us cast Nickolache, who I love, and Lindsay Sloane, and we shot it on the Paramount lot and I never left Entertainment Tonight and I would run back and forth between running ET and running the show, and the night before the upfronts Les Moonvez decided that Nick Lache was not a star and they didn't pick up the show, and so I never left Entertainment Tonight. And then when things hit the fan at Entertainment Tonight, I went back to Extra with another boss I had had problems with, but we made up, and while I was there, the guy that I Dan, who I had done my first show with, sold Baby Daddy and asked me to come work on it. Wow, so that shit doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Did this change your financial security in any way?
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I made a fortune from I went from making you know, ten thousand dollars a week, which was great salary, to well, actually, at Extra, I was making five thousand dollars a week. I stepped down from my giant I gave up a giant salary at ET half a million dollars a year, which I saved none of because I lived in an eleven thousand dollars a month home crazy person. I went from five thousand a week to twenty six thousand dollars a week, and that was the low salary for a writer. You don't get those anymore either, thank you Writers Guild. But yeah, I made a ton of money and I was so happy and it was such a great job, and I met people that are still like my closest friends and family because we worked together for one hundred episodes and it was just the greatest job ever. I loved it so much.
Speaker 1: I noticed that during this time of your life you had all these intergenerational relationships, like you two have girlfriends in every decade, twenties, forties, fifties, sixties. I still do you have friends that are older than you?
Speaker 3: A couple. Yeah, a couple, and only more recently, and only because I feel confident being around women that I thought were so much more powerful than me, that would look at me like, oh, you know, because I was always kind of like the black sheep, you're too loud, don't say that in front of people, you know, kind of a person, and women would look at me that way.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 3: I get judged a lot by women my age, because you know, we grew I don't blame them. We grew up differently. We grew up not supposed to be like I am, but more, you know, demure and quiet. And so I think now I have more friends that are older than me because I feel confident enough to share my true self with them.
Speaker 2: I feel like this was a pretty happy decade for you. But is there anything that you wish you could tell fifty year old Heidi?
Speaker 3: Yeah, stop worrying about your weight, Stop looking at the scale, stop dieting. Jesus Christ, that took a long time.
Speaker 2: That's a big one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that took till sixty something to throw my scale out. But I spent a lot of time in my fifties, like not wearing shorts because I hate my legs, not wearing bathing suits because I'm fat, getting my boobs cut off because they're too big, which I'm grateful for that one, but just worrying about what I looked like, you know what I ate? And just stupid.
Speaker 2: What's a word that defines your sixties so far?
Speaker 3: Fucking joy? Really? Just joy? Ah, the sixties are my I could cry. I will cry.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy that you feel that way. I really earned it.
Speaker 3: I try to show that to people because it's like a switch went off when I turned sixty and I just completely accept myself, my flaws, my failures, my successes, Like I just get it now, and to be able to go through life just getting it is just such a blessing. Like is it perfect? God? No, But I just I'm just so much happier and I and a lot of that has to do with the fact that I left LA and left a job that made me miserable. But right now, this time in my life, I can tell you I am just so happy.
Speaker 2: Can I can I drill like, can we drill into why? Like what what switch? Because you had a moment after Baby Daddy ended. I could tell you were frustrated and not feeling that kind of joy. What happened?
Speaker 3: I think I just realized, like, you know, yeah, listen, I'm still trying to sell scripts about women in their fifties, and I've been doing that since I was fifty. I think I just sort of realized, like, you know, what if Baby Daddy is it? What if that's the only show I get to write? Well, I should be proud of that, because a lot of people don't get that opportunity, and I just sort of took the pressure off of all the things that people tell you you're supposed to feel and just really got more present in life and really just leaned into the small things in life, Like I love that I'm surrounded by trees and nature, and I'm so black that my friends gave me this opportunity to move into their guest house and just get out of la and get out of a job that I really did not like.
Speaker 2: Now you're toos match your surroundings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, And I just am so grateful to get to know who I am. That's what makes me cry, Like people don't get that opportunity to just get to know who they are and be happy with who they are. And I feel so I feel so blessed on this social media journey that I'm on because I get the most remarkable messages from people, and I feel like it's so rewarding what I'm doing. Just being me has become so rewarding to other people, Like who gets that.
Speaker 2: Towards the end of COVID, you started posting like, let's get dressed right, and you're beautiful writer, so you would share these life lessons while you would get dressed.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: See all these young women in their twenties and thirties on your page. I think that's like, probably is that your main audience.
Speaker 3: Ninety percent is under thirty five.
Speaker 2: What do you think you're giving them? Because they're I mean, they're coming by the droves.
Speaker 3: What they tell me is that I've made them less afraid to get old and that I feel like a safe space for them. And that is a remarkable gift because my goal was to change the way the world looks at women over fifty, and I think I do that every day. And to be able to give girls because I didn't have that, To be able to give young women a reason to live their lives, to not feel judged by what society tells them they're supposed to do, to just get out there and just be present in their own life and not beat themselves up is just a fucking joy bomb for me to know that I'm actually doing some good with the crazy life that I led.
Speaker 2: I want to go into your sixties a little bit. I saw you right that you're terrified on a daily basis and that you're actually a massive failure at life. I was so surprised by that, and I'm still surprised, especially after our conversation, because you talk about self acceptance in such a resonant way. Have you redefined what success and failure quote I hate that word failure, but what success or pivoting looks like for you?
Speaker 3: You know, this stuff that terrifies me on a daily basis is almost always the same thing, and it's usually and it's the one thing that I said that I have been a failure at, which is financial because I'm trying to monetize this social media world that I live in, and I refuse to promote Amazon stretch pants, and so it's more difficult to get brand deals when you are screaming at the world. So I am terrified about that normally. And I also, you know, it's not a terrified on a daily basis could mean, you know, for five seconds, like no one's perfect, No one's life is perfectly happy all the time, and if it was, you wouldn't even you wouldn't even know what happiness was, if you were happy and joyful all the time. But I'm terrified of things like that, of you know, like again not leaving better than I came of, you know, fucking up a relationship here or there, of not giving people the right message, that's saying the wrong thing, of being Jewish, and what is going on in the world. You know, there's always stuff, but I always come back to the fact of, well, at least I love myself.
Speaker 2: This is something that I'm personally looking at. So I am asking you, almost asking for a friend. But you opened up about losing your mom in a really beautiful post, and you talk about really missing her and saying that your relationship was not perfect, but you know that she did her best and that you actually blamed her for a lot of your problems. I've noticed I'm starting to do this daily show, and I noticed that I talk about my mom a lot, and sometimes in a way that's maybe like hypercritical. She deserves it. Yeah, I don't talk about my dad that way. When did you start to gain a new perspective on your relationship with her?
Speaker 3: After I got sober, I realized that my parents never said I love you to me, and so I started ending every single phone call with the words I love you. It took them ten years, I would say to say it back, and I mean I said every phone call, and so that helped it shift and then I when I was sober and was more proud of who I was, and my mother couldn't like look at me and roll her eyes at you know, my pink hair or my tattoos, which she hated all of it. But I didn't care so much what she thought. And I you know, my sisters went to my mom and told her how they felt about some stuff she had done to them, which was really bad, and she said, I'm too old to change. And I think that registered with me of like, okay, well then I'm just gonna live my life and realize, like this is who you are. And then I read that quote somewhere that you know, remember it's your mom's first time here too, and I realized, like my mom got married at nineteen, like she didn't even have a chance to know who she was, and she grew up in a time where you weren't allowed to really be a woman. And you know, there's a lot of good things that she obviously instilled in me, because look at me, and she obviously gave me a lot of confidence or defying her gave me confidence whatever was. And so but what really changed was when my mom had a heart attack. I guess we think it is. And I saw her on her deathbed and I realized, like, oh wow, it's over. Sorry, it's okay, Like just like that, it's over. And now I can't have a relationship with her, and all the things that I felt just don't matter, just don't matter because she's not here now, and it's just stupid to carry dumb shes She didn't do anything bad to me, she didn't abuse me, and you know, it's just so dumb to carry this stuff because they're gone. And I know my mom knows everything that I'm doing now, and I know she's with me every day because the night that she died, I had flown back to LA and my sister called me and said, you know, Mom's gone, and I started crying, and when I hung up, I yelled for my dog. I said, Daisy, come here, and my Google radio clicked on and said and said, I'm already here. And so I've known that she's been with me since then, And like I know, people that know my relationship with her would think it was crazy that I would get this upset, but you know, to your mom, your mom is your mom, and I'm more in the relationship that I wish we could have had. And I think people have good relationships with their moms where their moms are their best friends. Are the luckiest girls in the world, because I would kill for that.
Speaker 2: Thanks for sharing that. I'm sorry to make you cry on a Sunday.
Speaker 3: Crying is very healthy. I didn't cry till I did ayahuasca. So they literally did not cry until I was in my fifties.
Speaker 4: Really no, never more drunk, and I don't think so oh my god.
Speaker 3: No. I was raised like you don't cry emotion, you don't and then you go to work you don't cry. So yeah, I don't think I cried till I was fifty and I haven't stopped crying since.
Speaker 2: So you say that social media in many ways is your therapy. Yeah, what do you think has been the most helpful lesson that you've learned by sharing so many of your stories?
Speaker 3: Just to love my body a little bit more, you know, Yeah, daily struggle. I mean I still wake up and think, ooh, I got to lose like five pounds like every day, and showing myself is part of my therapy.
Speaker 1: You know, you're still in your sixties, so we can't do a hindsight. So I want to know what you want and wish for Heidi sixties.
Speaker 3: Rad I hope I get to sell a show about women in their fifties and sixties because we deserve it, and you know, real Housewives on Bravo shouldn't be the only place that we can see real women in their fifties and sixties living their life. And again, I just I want to change the way the world looks at women over fifty. You know, we're not Grace and Frankie yet. We're just starting our third act and there's a lot of things to do.
Speaker 2: If we were to put a word on it, my word for you would be liberated. What would your word is joy for sixties? Yeah, yeah, No, liberated is a good word. I feel liberated from society, and I think social media has done that for me because these young people are telling me, you know, like I walk around Santa Barbara and people come up to me like crying like, oh my god, You've changed my life. Like I get recognized all the time now, and it's never like, oh hey, I follow you, it's oh my god, You've changed my life. Oh my god, you make me happy to get old. Like it's just these affirmations that people don't say to each other, and so I think that's what's making everything so wonderful. Not to get to therapy here, but when as you're saying not, I'm thinking, like all the affirmations and love that you didn't get in your childhood are kind of coming around now, which is so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. I am nurtured on a daily basis by the people who follow me.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 3: I hope I'm nurturing them. I mean you are.
Speaker 2: You're nurturing me virtually, and I'm they So I know how people feel when they watch you and listen to your words. Okay, rapid fire. The only thing that you used to take for granted that you don't anymore, My mom, If you could revisit one specific age for just one day, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Probably somewhere in my thirties. Yeah, somewhere in my thirties, Like I would definitely be like somebody who broke my heart that I would want to go back and tell them that they're not gonna You're not going to ruin me. I will survive.
Speaker 2: What is the best gift that you've ever.
Speaker 3: Given given my time? My heart?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Honestly, how about the best gift you've.
Speaker 3: Received friendship, especially from the people that are are putting me up right now. They also paid my rent during COVID for two years. They are the greatest, most wonderful friends in the world, Dan and Kevin, and they have just saved my life regularly.
Speaker 1: What is a book that should be required reading, something that you think everybody should read?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the movie Origin should be required viewing for everybody quite frankly right now. But a book, I would say The Midnight Library. I don't know if you've read it, but it's a story of a woman, you know, basically, who doesn't want to be alive anymore, who has the opportunity to go to a library where all of the lives she could have led live and she jumps in and out of those lives.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to read that.
Speaker 3: Harry Mulligan narrates it, so if you wanted to, it was a great audiobook, and she's going to make the movie. It's a spectacular book.
Speaker 2: What is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 3: Heidi moving to Santa Barbara right now?
Speaker 2: I would say I have one last question.
Speaker 1: Okay, question everything card game, Because we're virtual, you tell me when to stop stop. Okay, wow, this is an interesting one for you after our conversation.
Speaker 2: Do you fall in love easily? What is your love language?
Speaker 3: I do fall in love easily. I would say my love What are the love languages? I think it's what would be the one equivalent to like being heard?
Speaker 2: Ooh, words of affirmation maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably, which could also be love bombing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it depends. There's a thin line.
Speaker 3: I just be You know, women, it's something interesting about women in their fifties. You know, they've spent their whole life not being listened to, and now they're really not being listened to. And I think that being heard is you know, you watch The Golden Bachelor and you watch these women just like, oh my god, nobody's looked at me like this, nobody's spoken to me like this in deck in years, and you know, we're all out here just trying to live authentic lives and be heard. And so if someone is having a conversation with me and they're actually listening to me and asking me questions about my life, like I'm in I fell madly in love with Eddie Cibrian when I worked with him on Baby Daddy. I mean, I was in love with him from a movie that he had made years earlier with Holly Hunter and it's so hot. How you the nicest man? And so is his wife Leanne. But Eddie was on Baby Daddy and I just remember him sitting with me and he was like, tell me about your life. It's so fascinating, tell me everything. And I was like, how is Eddie Cibrian sitting here talking to me at sixty years old? Like I just I love him so much and that kind of person that just is interested in what you have to say, because most men are not interested in listening to women.
Speaker 2: Are you open to a relationship in your sixties? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But he'd have to like fall out of the ceiling, Yeah, onto your mind. Yeah, I'm not. There's no online dating happening, but I see people all the time and I'm like, whoa, they're hot. I'd go out with them.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it never happens, but it could.
Speaker 2: It could.
Speaker 3: I never give up never saying ever.
Speaker 2: You know when did you stop dyeing your hair?
Speaker 3: Like three years before the pandemic? And everyone told me I was crazy? Why because I'm going to look old? And how am old? Who cares? Why is old a bad word? Like old is a good word? I earned this. You know you get here. It means you're living. What's the opposite?
Speaker 2: Okay? My last and final question for you is what is one thing you think I need to hear right now?
Speaker 3: Live your life for you, Trust your gut. Make decisions that you know will make you happy, because happiness breeds more happiness, and the only thing that matters in life is being happy. If you can float in a sea of joy and happiness, you will be in the flow of what you're supposed to be doing in life, and which could be helping people or you know, there's just no better place to be and just live your life unapologetically and without shame. Thank you, Heidi, I give you permission.
Speaker 2: M thank you. Okay.
Speaker 1: You know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.