Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Chests Podcast.
Speaker 2: Dangling a stake in front of the lion and you ain't got no cage in between you. He gonna get to that state.
Speaker 3: So let's go inside the matchup. I Motivated Aaron Rodgers? Is it Dangerous? Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 4: Game Day and every day? Score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott. Shot Fashion and find jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or at Kendra Scott dot com.
Speaker 1: Shine Bright, Do Good with Kendrew Scott. Happy New Year's Deal, Happy New Year's what's a resolution?
Speaker 5: I don't have any resolutions?
Speaker 3: Do you have any? Yeah? To keep my hair? I think your hair like maybe a man may. I'd be happy to sit there there, put put my coconut oil. This You're still young guy, no more man. You know it's crazy. You know.
Speaker 2: I was sitting there and I was watching the The George Foreman, The George Foreman Story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm like, damn, I'm only one year younger than he was. When you want a championship, Remember how we looked at George. He's George's like old grandpa. He had his pants, so I'll look to him. Tell me and stuff like that. I'm like, damn, I'm one year younger than when he won the title.
Speaker 2: Michael Moore, Yes, I'm like, man, So like technically I'm like an old dude now. Like remember how we used to look at forty four forty five back in the day.
Speaker 1: Well, we were just talking about it before.
Speaker 4: Like when you go back and look at old games and you see the player snapshot up there, and like a rookie out of Penn State, the dude who was twenty one or twenty two years old years old about twenty five years ago, he looks like he was forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, rookies different.
Speaker 2: Remember Greg Olden came in, Greg Olden came out the wounds as a teenager.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nuts nuts. So no resolutions, then keep my hair, Okay, So that's one.
Speaker 1: All right, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm not crowning.
Speaker 4: Jet season is ending Sunday against Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: It's that late slot.
Speaker 4: Do you make anything of Hey, potentially you can be a spoil against the division rival, because what's at hand here for the Dolphins is they need the Chiefs to beat the Broncos. If that happens, Miami can go to the postseason with the win over the Jets.
Speaker 2: I just think, you know, Miami's flying high saying, hey, listen, look what all we've been through. We lost our starting quarterback and we still have an opportunity to get in a tournament.
Speaker 3: And we get in a tournament. Who knows And you're like, yeah, no, no, no, no, no no, yeah. If I'm not going, you're not going.
Speaker 2: Like you may make your reservation for Cabo a little later than me, but trust me, you going to Cabo too, And like that's what the motivation is. And the motivation also is like, hey, this is our last game maybe ever. You know, you got guys like Tyron Smith, you know, who knows what Morgan Moses want to do. He's battled like a champion, you know, throughout the entire year. But you know he may have to he may decide to retire. So you always want to show respect to the last guys who gains. It could be the last game to ever play. You want them to remember, hey man, my last game I won. You know, you want to have respect for them.
Speaker 4: What are you literally talking about that in the locker room with all their guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm seriously.
Speaker 2: I remember when it was Deon Sander's last game and he was ever gonna play.
Speaker 6: Yo.
Speaker 3: We went out there like, let's let's have fun for prime. No for that.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying as far as keeping Miami absolutely, come on, well absolutely we went out here like yeah, yeah, y'all.
Speaker 3: Think y'all going somewhere.
Speaker 2: Y'all ain't going nowhere, Okay, Like, just think how Miami has kind of rubbed it in over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Well, the Jets should have beat him to the first meeting.
Speaker 2: Donna thank you about how Tyreek Hill hit us with the who the Jets, all those the memes and stuff like when he Birdy would come in here, but use us for all that, man, all that? Yeah, yeah, how many playoff games if you want since you've been down there, Tyrek, Yeah, you ain't going to the playoffs this year too.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you just I'm telling you, okay, So.
Speaker 4: You're rooting for if you're a Jet, you're rooting for the Chiefs to win because you want to be the person responsible or the team responsible.
Speaker 1: We shut the door on you, guys.
Speaker 2: But also, like listen, I hate everybody. Yeah, I know I can't do nothing to hate on the Chiefs, but I want.
Speaker 3: I want them.
Speaker 2: I want the Broncos because we should have beat All with the field goal. So like I want you to lose to because I want you all to be happy. So listen, remember what Sean Payton said about us. So I'm like, man, I forget you. I know my boy Franklin Myer is there, but I don't get right. Damn hell no, I ain't going. We can meet at cowbo Yo. How crazy would that be?
Speaker 3: If?
Speaker 4: Okay, Kansas City in the reserves. You think they're gonna play a lot of the regular.
Speaker 1: Well have you can't play?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, outside of guys like Chris Johones, but Calophus and like all the young guys like you gotta play. Xavier Worthy, Juju Smith, Shooter is a guy that's going to have to play. Maybe Kelsey's not going to play, but they're backup tight end. I forget his name.
Speaker 3: Gray, no Gray, No Grey, no Gray, been putting putting in work this year.
Speaker 5: Right, So Kansas City beats done for Broncos.
Speaker 3: In Miami all height we got a shot.
Speaker 1: So winning.
Speaker 5: Son of the Jets beat Miami, that means the.
Speaker 1: Door would be open for Joey Burrow Ye.
Speaker 3: See Cincinnati he's Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, I got less hate for them, like because it listen, they over there.
Speaker 3: They I ain't got nothing to do with them. I rarely see them whatever.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you what, the Bengals get in, there'd be a super dangerous team with their ability to score points.
Speaker 3: Baltimore don't want to see them. Nobody wants to see them.
Speaker 2: And then if they beat if they get in, did they mean they beat the Steelers? That Dealers don't want to see them.
Speaker 1: They would probably play Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Josh Allen don't want to see him.
Speaker 2: Remember what he's went up to Orchard Parker in one that don't affect him, right, and you know, and Kansas City don't want to see him.
Speaker 4: So how difficult is it for you as a player to get up dust yourself off after what happened in Buffalo. I was talking to a number of players in the locker room about it, and Quincy Williams said, straight up, this was a piss poor performance from us.
Speaker 3: Well, you feel.
Speaker 2: The game is about moments, yeah, right, and it can get out of hand really quickly, and it did because you know, you had the two turnovers.
Speaker 3: It was twelve nothing going to halftime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, turnover on down right, that should that should have been like a ten to twelve game going into halftime, and it just kind of snowball. And sometimes it happens like this happens, a turnover, this happens, stuff like that, blown play well or whatever. But you know, the first half wasn't indicative of the defense playing at a a bad pace, but it's just what happens when you know, when things go wrong and you're losing, you've been losing all year, you just think that they're going to continue to go bad, opposed to when things you know, when you're winning things go bad, you think, no, we're gonna turn around, because we always turn around, right, So it's like the whole belief system thing.
Speaker 4: Complimentary football too, right, Yeah, I know fans hate hearing that, but there is something to be said for that, because if you do have points on those first two possessions where you.
Speaker 2: Feel good about, if the energy is electric, you're like, oh man, you're feeling good. Yeah, it's games about momentum and defensively.
Speaker 4: When you go in and you're playing okay, yeah, the number of penalties on that first drive, but you go into the break and you're down twelve nothing.
Speaker 5: How deflating is that.
Speaker 4: Even though your offense was able to move the ball a little bit again, but not finish.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what it is. It's like disappointing.
Speaker 2: But you know when you make the decision to say, hey, we're gonna go for the for the juggler, and you know when you got your points potentially there. It's always tough, and I know it's windy and elements and all that type of stuff, but sometimes it's good, like a like a basketball player to see the ball go through the hoop, right, and just to see like the the score scoreboard turn sometimes can just be enough to like give you a little bit moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how can.
Speaker 4: The Jets get the ball through the hoop this week against the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing we've been saying all day and I'm sure it be the the mantra for the entire year.
Speaker 3: You gotta finish.
Speaker 2: Like it's great to move the football, it's great to have the yards, the first downs and being rhythm. You gotta finish, man, and you know that's that's what you gotta do. And so this week you start with finishing attention in detail, right, because it gets more difficult to close you get because it's less space, so it's easier for the defense to defend.
Speaker 3: So you got to figure out a way how to get into the end.
Speaker 4: ZO no surprise for you late in that ball game when Aaron Rodgers came out at that point fortyen or not things.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because I feel like it was late in the game and it's at that point. You know, it's a zero sum game, and you know, tyrod deserved the opportunity to play a little bit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He's been here and going through the due diligence.
Speaker 1: And consummate professional Yeah.
Speaker 2: Doing everything for a holy season, and it's good to allow the fans and allow people to see what he looks like.
Speaker 3: And he looked down good.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna hear from Aaron Rodgers here later this week. We're taping New Year's Eve. It is Tuesday. I imagine he'll go talk on McAfee and then talk to the media here Wednesday, like he typically does at one Jets Drive. What do you think is going through his head? Is he just focuses on this game, knowing of all this that continues to swirl as far as what his future looks like here, maybe retirement, maybe somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, like right now, you just need to you know, finish what's ahead of you, Finish strong, finish through the line, and then like you need time to decompress, right I'm sure coming off of an injury, going into training camp, all that type of stuff, it's been a long year like for him, Like because coming off an injury and having rehabbing stuff, it's almost like when rookies come out and like, you know, they got the combine right after that.
Speaker 3: It's been a long year because he didn't get a break.
Speaker 2: He's been rehabbing, fighting to get here, going through the OTA's and all to get to this point, and it didn't finish the way that he wanted to. The performance wasn't where he wanted to be, The wins and losses wasn't where he wanted to be. So you got to kind of absorb that. You got to digest that first. Then you gotta see if you have a strength to be able to put the effort that it takes to play at a high level. This will be his first offseason, it's in a year and a half that he can just train. He can take his proper rest, that he can actually train and not worry about the injury a year removed, and then he had to side if his body feels good enough, if the Jets and him can come together on a deal to make this work, and what his future looks like.
Speaker 4: Just as a guy who put the body on the line, like yourself play in between those white lines. How much credit do you give Rogers just for to come back from Achilles to now make his seventeenth consecutives start at forty one years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know he was being banged up, and you know, maybe hindsight, he's twenty twenty, maybe he should have you know, they should have did a better job and you know, being able to allow him to rest. Maybe, Yeah, I think if you would go back, you know, on short weeks, especially you know the Jets started off. How a lot of teams ended, you know, three games in eleven days. We saw that with Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, and I believe on the Pittsburgh early right, but the Jets had that early in the season, and I think maybe, you know, if they look at it, maybe.
Speaker 3: He should arrested. Tyrone Smith should arrested too.
Speaker 2: And you know, with that being said, I think he has to reassess and go back and say, you know what.
Speaker 3: Maybe I got a lot more in me.
Speaker 2: And only he knows if he's willing to pay the price. But you know, that's the process that all players go through. Tyrone's gonna have well, Tyrone's going to have to go through that. Morgan is going to have to go.
Speaker 3: Through that when you get that. When you get to this age, it's like a year to year.
Speaker 1: What was it like for you when it became a year to year thing?
Speaker 3: What never did for me? I got injured.
Speaker 2: I got injured and I probably wasn't going to be back clear in enough time.
Speaker 3: And you know, the Jets had let me go and I had all intentions.
Speaker 2: And being able to go and play. But then you know, I got the TV opportunity. I was like, all, well, I'll just take a year off with all intentions on going back. You really did that was going to go back like I'd never stopped training. You know, I was like, oh man, because it just think I had went eleven years without missing a game. I mean, I missed that one game in Miami, but you know I had played like something like one hundred and eighty consecutive games, you know, going all the way back to like my first my second.
Speaker 3: Year in the NFL.
Speaker 2: So like a lot of times players careers are extended because they get injured. And I know that sounds weird, but their's careers extended because they get injured and they don't get to wear in tear.
Speaker 4: I just played interesting, I just play play you on like ir after four weeks, six weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, well yeah, yeah, like I see, I went through to wearing tear right where I just never got a break. So you get exhausted and your body's just inflamed.
Speaker 3: And like you got all these little injuries and then you got the main injury.
Speaker 2: So the toe was one injury with my shoulder, my knee and all that stuff, with stuff that I have been battling through for years, right and managing for years my wrists, and so I thought, maybe, oh, tak, take a year off. Body felt good because like we don't play football, and God's figured this out in the first year when they retire, like man like usually you train, you work hard, and then you play and then everything you did, you know, go to bed because like it gets knocked off soon as you get hurt.
Speaker 3: Well, when you.
Speaker 2: Just uh uh, spectator, you get it's no, it's no season, so you can just train for a whole year, right, it was the last time you've ever I never trained for a whole year. I always had some type of sports season. So your body feel good, You're like, man, I feel strong. That's why when you see guys like man, I think I would come back, Like it's like the quickest way for somebody to retires the first year that they walk away.
Speaker 3: It's like, man, I feel good. Yeah, you go out there.
Speaker 4: But you always told me when you were a player, and we've been doing this for a long time together, that you're gonna play until everything falls apart.
Speaker 1: You compared it to a car. A tire is going.
Speaker 4: Over here, the power steering doesn't work here, the oh, the engine's starting to go.
Speaker 3: You were gonna go until.
Speaker 2: And that's that's something that a lot of a lot of I at least, have to deal with. Like it's funny because andre Ward has a podcast now and he was talking to Roy Jones and he.
Speaker 3: Was like, man, does it ever go away? Bro?
Speaker 2: He's like, man, it's been seven years, and it's like, you know, he's starting. I think he started tease maybe like he might want to come back and fight because he still trains, he still does all the stuff. And yeah, but you but when it's seen, you will seeing you.
Speaker 5: Would you ever want to go out that tunnel again right now?
Speaker 3: No? I mean at this point it's a rot for me.
Speaker 4: Right No, I know that, but I'm just saying, do you ever go to the stadium on Sunday morning and smell everything, look at people, telgaate and then watch the guys coming out of the tunnel? No?
Speaker 3: Sometimes I have Sometimes I have dreams that I'm going to the game.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Yeah, I just swear to God, like I've at least ten to fifteen of them where I feel like it's the season. It's like, oh man, I gotta go play. And I dream about me playing football, like coming out of the tunnel. I feel like it like I'm in a game.
Speaker 3: Excitement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like no, a real dream, like I'm a football like I'm still playing right now, wake up thinking I got to.
Speaker 3: Go to practice. I'm like, man, you trip it? Yeah, yeah, like it never goes.
Speaker 4: It's interesting when you look at a guy like Rogers now Lebron too. I mean obviously totally different athletes, but elite two of the best you've ever played their games. Lebron said the other day that he thinks that he could play five seven more years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but see what I've been around great players. What they ask themselves is at what costs? Like like when you look at guys like Ben's Carter, Vince Carter was fine not being half man, half amazing, like will Lebron or know ever feel like, hey, I'm coming off the bench like Carmelo, Like would he ever want to? Because that's a humbling experience when you used to be that guy and like now you're like, oh yeah, I'll come off the bench. Like I think when you're in an argument for the greatest of all time, I think that's a hard pill to swallow. Like when you're a guy that's been good like Ben's Carter, like car who was considered a Hall of Famer, Yes, but not like on the Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 3: Greatest players all the time, that's a harder pill to swallow.
Speaker 7: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott. The jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game day ready jewelry styles and so much more at Kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 5: So it's gonna be a lot for Rogers to digest. He really hasn't had the ability to take a step back.
Speaker 2: And only the thing is like if he comes and continues to play, it's not like he's going.
Speaker 3: To be a a backup.
Speaker 2: No, So it's not like he's going to that like a guy like Placod that was a Super Bowl MVP saying you know, I'll be a backup and bounce around Like that's a different that's a different vibe, Like, uh was it?
Speaker 3: Did Philip Rivers do that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I don't think phi Philip Rivers still the starter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So interesting next few days for the Jets entire organization because you play the Dolphins, it's Baggy Dan Monday, and then these GM and head coaching searches are going to.
Speaker 5: Really heat up.
Speaker 3: We're going to be hearing names.
Speaker 4: Left and right, and you got to have a comprehensive search, extensive because this organization really wants to get it right and has gives himself an opportunity to have continuity moving forward.
Speaker 2: Well, the last time they were in a coaching search was five years ago, right or it was it sixth it's.
Speaker 5: All solves higher January fourteen, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's a four season, four season. Wow. Yep, Joe was six, Yes, correct, gotch.
Speaker 1: Joe came in before Robert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you definitely want to get it you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was under gay, So you definitely want to get it right, you know, because you don't want to keep doing this right.
Speaker 3: You want to be able to have a program that can grow.
Speaker 2: You look at guys like Andy Reid, you look at guys like Mike Tomlin, you look at guys like Harball. You're you're allowed to allow of programs. Really easy to have a culture when somebody's been there for five years at this point, I think Harball has been there. He got there in two thousand.
Speaker 4: No double check in two thousand and eight, but yeah, he's been there north to fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he was there and I came here in two thousand and nine right there. Yeah, so you know Mike Toyland a little bit before that. Like that's when you really inject a culture, right, because that culture needs to.
Speaker 3: Be in place for a while.
Speaker 2: Like now, like I don't remember the Chiefs having a culture before Andy Reid got there, right, But he's been there for so long that the culture can stay. And now at this point, because the culture is so good, it's going to be hard to tear that culture down because his influence is all through that, through through that building.
Speaker 4: Well, we were talking about it myself and somebody else the colleague the other day that you look at those organizations like Baltimore, do you attribute it more to Harbaugh or do you go to Ozzie and say, you know, he's kind of the start.
Speaker 1: Of this, because means it goes all the way back in the day.
Speaker 3: It's a build. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's rare, right because I feel like Steve A. Shoddy enhanced the culture, right because you know his infrastructure.
Speaker 3: But also like the continuity.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I go over there and I still see the same people cooking the eggs that was there before. And you see that over here. I come here, I see Rosie Ronaldo Wan. You know, guys are still Here's like that that's important, you know what I mean. People are staples, right, Like Valve is still there. She's been there for twenty years, you know what I mean. That's that's important. Your consistency, continuity, right, and you have to build that and you know, when you look at like like I said, Kansas City, that culture like and you look at what Harrorball is doing, like he's going to leave a culture. And when you when you have an opportunity to really plan to see, then everybody starts to think that way. So even if the guy who was part of the big part of the setting the culture isn't there anymore, the culture remains because they know that that's how this is how success looks, right, So you have to maintain like when people that helped set the culture lead, like so Ozzie's gone, he's been going, of course, and like now Eric Dakas is there, right, but the culture remains, so it becomes a standard and you have to be able to like it takes time, and you have to be consistent with it, and you have to make sure that you continue.
Speaker 4: Let is there a lesson there in what your hometown team has been able to do.
Speaker 3: A little Lions because they changed their culture, right, and it took a while. Yeah, it took a while.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't happen overnight.
Speaker 4: And you Buffalo was a joke, right, like Buffalo's Homecoming, So I wanted to ask you about Buffalo too. Is because they hired McDermott first, and then they went out looking for the GM and they ended up hiring Brandon Bean. We'll work with McDermott in Carolina, So there was a past relationship there.
Speaker 1: When you look at the.
Speaker 4: Jets searches, how important is it that these guys have some kind of relationship going in.
Speaker 3: A relationship can be developed. It's hard for me to say that it's one way to do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, but we know that going in with trust and belief makes it easier.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Dan Campbell had a relationship with the general manager from I think he was at New England before.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he had a relationship with him.
Speaker 2: So it can be developed, it and it can be and it can be a persistent relationship.
Speaker 4: So you need guys to actually have confidence in their plans but also be malleable. But also there has to be a great working relationship behind everybody.
Speaker 3: We're all top, we're all on the same team, right and we're all trying to pull the rope the same way.
Speaker 2: And you may not always agree with what I said, but understand that it's coming from the right place.
Speaker 3: So you should want it to be successful. You shouldn't want it to fail because.
Speaker 2: You want to say that your way was right, Like we can always adjust plans, but we got to realize that we're all in this together, Like my success is your success, and you know your success is my success.
Speaker 4: Is this an exciting time for the Jets organization when you're talking about starting a new after just going through the pains of this season? You've done here, if you played here, you've made your home here, you work in the media here. There was so much expectation headed into twenty twenty four, and now as we under the final week, the Jets are sitting there four and twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's not ideal, and you know, but you know, if you give up and you just you know, give into it, then it's not going to change. You got to go on with the energy and the passion and say, listen, this is the time where we're going to fix it because eventually you'll be right, you know. So you got to go in there and say, hey, what can we learn from the mistakes we went into some of the hires and things that decisions that we made that didn't work out. You know, because if you repeat, you repeat the same thing. That's a true definition of insanity if you expect a different result. Awful for the fan base.
Speaker 4: But and I've always said this, and I think people roll their eyes at it because where I get my checks from. But Woody Johnson is committed to putting a winner on the field. He wants it just as bad as anybody's going to the stadium on Sunday or buying a sweatshirt or you know, taking their kid out to training camp.
Speaker 5: He wants it bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's never been a lack of want to write.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you know, you can want something a lot, but it doesn't guarantee it.
Speaker 3: So you just have to say, listen, how do I get it right?
Speaker 2: Like like I said, it's many examples of many organizations that they flipped it. They flipped it that that you know didn't have it together for a while, you know what I mean, And they figured it out, and you just keep you know, you keep swinging, you keep getting up, you keep analyzing, you keep getting all the information you can do to be a high, high percentage decision maker.
Speaker 5: All right, So let's get inside the games.
Speaker 4: Dolphins schematically while the Jets moved the ball big time, against the Dolphins in that first meeting. They should have won if we go back to that late game situation.
Speaker 3: When they had the ball.
Speaker 4: Garrett wasn't in a huge game. You're talking about Deavonte Brisall didn't even play that first meeting. Dolphins though when you look at.
Speaker 5: Him statistically, their defense spent pretty solid this year.
Speaker 3: But Jets got after him in the first May. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean styles make fights, and you know, you know, certain teams you may have better matchups.
Speaker 1: With, right, Garrett got after Jalen Ramsey that first.
Speaker 2: Man, right, and now you know you look at you know, Davante's more locked in as well, So you picked your poison that way. Uh, I think Brice should get some touches you know in the past game, but also running the.
Speaker 3: Ball right, and you have to mix it up, right.
Speaker 2: This is a team that has good players. But you know, I think they still you know, lack at the linebacker position, right, you know, opportunities they don't have, you know, you know, great defensive tackles. They got Khalasis Campbell, who's the mountain of a man still playing at a high level. I still don't know if they well, I think they held on to him because it was a report that they were going to release him so he can get picked. I know I saw that body. But now when they legend we have hilarion. Yeah, so now it's like, ah, let's hold on. Yeah yeah, better I.
Speaker 3: Wonder what happens because you can't release him out of his game. So I know he's like, man, we better win. Yeah. Exactly.
Speaker 4: Defensively, Jets going against Dolphins too, did not play last week Tyler Huntley play. What kind of changes do you anticipate from the Jets because you know that Tua is not going to take off while he get down exactly history. But Huntley, he's a thrown on the ground. He got into the end zone last week against the Brons, and he can keep plays a lift.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean that that just tells you what you can and can't do.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you can't go cover one because he sees that he's just going to turn off take off, So you got to maybe have a spy air for him. You got to understand that the RPO game, he's a legitimate threat to keep the ball if you you know, if you don't pay him any attention, you just flattening it down to the dive play out of run play, you know, so you got to be able to you know, have a plan for him then, so it creates more preparation time.
Speaker 6: Would you zone it up more back then, well you can, you can zone it up, but when you go man, you still want to be able to get hands on guys and have help over the top, and you know, see if you can stop this run game with a light box, but you want to be able to have you know, multiple people out there so that if he does that, you make him play.
Speaker 4: I know people are looking ahead, but I just want to ask you from the game plan perspective. The Dolphins got after the Jets with their screen game in that first meeting, Yeah, what did the Jets have to do as a counter because we saw that, especially in overtime, Jonathan Smith didn't do anything throughout those first four quarters.
Speaker 5: Then he took over the game in the fifth quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and you know they may start the game off that way, right because you know, tight ends are using you know, big match mismatches because of their size and speed and also his ability, like like really the biggest thing and the theme of the year for me has been, you know, when you're a blocker and you get beat, you turn around and become the receiver. Right, So it's like, you know, damn if you do, damn if you don't, if you're a defender, because you feel like you need a bull rusher upon him because you just beat him off the back, he just turns around to be a wide open guy. Yeah, so I feel like you maybe have to switch it up. Have guys on the second level that's responsible for him. You got to have good eyes because you know you saw the other day. I mean even yesterday you saw the port with the lions and you saw a kiddo sneaking out trying to block and then hold and hold it.
Speaker 3: We used to call it the old it play.
Speaker 2: And like guys are kind of just doing that and throwback because they're saying, go ahead, beat me, beat me.
Speaker 3: Like guys, so you don't know what to do, Like you don't know do I hit him? Do I hold on to him? So what do you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm making sure that the person that's responsible for him is a person behind him that if I'm going man and man, I got somebody for him. I don't have somebody like I don't want you like like we used to call it green dog. I don't really want you green dog, and you know what I mean, because I rather like like you be able from distance to kind of see the whole picture, because you get too close to sometimes you forget it. A lot of these big plays has been one of those block block blocks. Oh let me go get the quarterback. Oh you beat me? Oh you beat them. Legitimately, they catch the ball and then they run for forty yards because everybody else is tied up.
Speaker 3: Man the man this guy's running. Nobody knows he even has the ball, which Dolphins.
Speaker 4: Can't get off in this game. TYREEQ Waddell, hn Smith? Which guy you circling?
Speaker 2: I would say, h ad because if you can't stop the run, then you got to put more resources. That opens up for everybody because that means now you got eight men in the box and it's creating all these you know, outside one on ones.
Speaker 3: You don't want that. But this team has way too much speed.
Speaker 1: Kind of a weird atmosphere.
Speaker 4: Do you expect the Sunday more imperative than ever for the gets.
Speaker 5: For the Jets get on them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well you think that. You know they're gonna they're gonna be fighting for their lives.
Speaker 2: You know, especially if what happens, you know, you know what we think going to happen happens. So I mean, I think, you know, the Jets have to get out to a fast start, keep the crowd out of it.
Speaker 3: But you know this is going to be a four quarter fight for sure. Four quarter fight. Well, I'm not going to fight you right now. Go bring me back though,