Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. Cassie Cherigo here as the Ravens have defeated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers by a score of forty one to thirty one on Monday Night Football. We heard from head coach John Harball, quarterback Lamar Jackson, and tight end Mark Andrews. First, we'll hear from head coach John Harball as he breaks down the win.
Speaker 2: You're a very exciting game, two really good football teams going at it. A lot a lot of football man, a lot of back and forth, a lot of offense, a lot of plays made. But I'm proud of the guys and I feel like you look at it and there's a lot of things we can get better at and we can improve upon certainly, and we will keep striving for that for sure. But I think all three phases, even though all three phases could have done some things better, certainly, and we'll talk about those, all three phases came through and they had to in a big way. And our defense had six straight stops. You know, when our offense scored six straight touchdowns at one point in the game, that's six straight scoring drives. That's pretty darn impressive. So right there, I think kind tells us story. But we're happy we Uh we give glory on it where it's where it's where it's given uh to God, and uh we humbly try to go forward and see if we can see if we can get better. We got a big game next week against Cleveland Division game at their place, and we gotta start getting ready for that on.
Speaker 3: A short week. En update on Marvel, Uh No, I don't. We'll know more tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. Uh, he's walking around in there, I can tell you that. So he's in good spirits. So but I don't know, you know, if it's too serious.
Speaker 4: How would you describe the way Lamora is playing right now?
Speaker 2: Ah? You know, I think we'll just keep it like we're just gonna keep approaching every week, one week at a time, one game at a time, one play at a time, because that's what he's doing, you know, and he's doing it at a high, high, high level, you know, And I'm I'm proud of him. I'm I'm happy for him. He's a great leader and he's a great player, great player. But we got a game next week against the Browns, and we got to bring our best, and that's what he's thinking about.
Speaker 5: That's the confidence whole. You see anything right now, I know what you describe at offensive level, No, the confidence level, confidence level.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we we had a CONFI I think we've had a confident team. I mean, it's it's good to go out there talking about offensively and scoring points. I mean, that's certainly the real confidence is is gained by doing it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So I think it's good, you know, we but our guys don't really think that way. I think our guys think about the things that they didn't do well. I can tell you Derek, he's on the side. I'm trying to congratulate him on the on the long run up the left sideline that they got him at the eleven, and he's mad that they got him at the eleven, you know, And I appreciate that. To me, that's what kind of what greatness looks like. So, uh, we just gotta get locked in for next week.
Speaker 6: John, just kind of growing up, how much did you kind of look forward to watching Sunday the footboard and coaching at really you know, Monday and football games. Because Lamar I think has an incredible record when it comes to against prime time games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredible, and he'll go down in the history of Monday night football for sure. You know, he's got a lot more to go, So I'm saying he can be thinking about the next one, the next one. What we have one coming up here in a couple of weeks, another one on the road, so against a pretty good coach. So but that's that's later. Yeah. For me, it was Dandy, Don Drysdale, Howard Cosell, you know, it was uh, it was uh uh uh Gifford, Frank Gifford, Right, I mean it was those guys. It was just is incredible to that was that was it?
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, when we got to stay up, we got a little older, when we finally got a chances we could stay up late enough to watch it. Uh you know, then the highlights, man, I go back to to to Chris Berman, right to Swami, who's still doing it at the highest level. But you know, you didn't see all those highlights like you do now. So those highlights would come on. That was when you've got a chance to see what the games looked like. And he'd go through there and be making all the noises that he makes, you know, and the only he can make. So it's it's it's cool to be in these games. It's it's a it's an honor, it's a it's a blood. You're grateful. I told the guys man, I was gonna be it was gonna be an honor to take the field on Monday night football, you know, in Tampa Bay against the great Tampa Bay Buck football team on Monday night. It's gonna be an honor to do. That's chair set man, and let's try to do our best, you know, see if we can put our best foot forward.
Speaker 8: Feel like Lamar even takes it to another level on this kind of monda night at full stage.
Speaker 5: That's his level.
Speaker 2: So you know, how do you measure levels. There's a lot of levels going on here, but I think are I think we can take it to another level as a football team. You know, across the board, there's so many things we can improve upon. That's what we're gonna be focusing on.
Speaker 5: They were very aggressive early getting up field.
Speaker 7: Looks some log early. What do you feel like you guys did offensively to sort of turn the tide there when you got into that stretch where you scored on pretty much all this.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think we just made some plays on like on long yards, I get back on track and second down some of the screenplays, some of the runs that pop Lamar made plays, a couple throws here and there. But we overcame penalties, We overcame things that you know, set us behind. We overcame the score, uh to to. We just made plays. We made a lot of plays, you know, and I want to work on all the other things that are setting us back and see if we can keep building on the things that are moving us forward. But I thought they over came throughout the course of the game. That's probably the story of the game.
Speaker 6: You've seen that were shot make plays on you know, on short rows and I meeting grows tonight. He gets like a fifty yard bomb. You know, just what does it mean for I guess is a villain? How much more typical he becomes? When is he able to get over your levels?
Speaker 2: It's been It's huge, I mean for him to you know, you knew it was coming and we we've all been talking about it. You could see it coming in practice and even in games and with the route running and everything. But you wanted to see it happen, you know, and it's been, it's been, he's even even getting more production every week. But to see that kind of a game, you know, and to see that long bomb, you know and lamar, how far did he throw it? You know on a rope but uh and then bait to make the play and run a route to get open like that. Yeah, that's that's very gratifying as.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: He told me that, he told me, and I probably you know, we do something called the brown shirt, right and the brown shirt we say every time we give it out after a win. It's our most prestigious award. And the brown shirt award is a is a nod to the Navy Seals because when you when you get through bud straining and you become sille, you get a brown shirt.
Speaker 3: That's my understanding.
Speaker 2: And Steve Claggett is is a is a former Navy seal who's on our staff, and he he took me through the history of that just a little bit. But we've been doing the browns here for about twelve for long time, twelve four thirteen, fourteen years a long time. And and it goes to the guy that does the dirty work. It goes the guy does the hard stuff. So based on that block right there, I think Lamar might get his first brown shirt this week.
Speaker 5: Joh, thanks that you want to work on. Seen a couple of times where teams have you know, went down and they come back and look, it's obviously exposed offense and so forth.
Speaker 7: What are what are.
Speaker 5: Those areas you think that we've.
Speaker 6: Liked the sort of so you played down.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just a big pass plays, you know. I mean there's too many big pass plays. It hit screens on us more than they should have. We didn't play the screen as well. And it's a very good screen team and just too many big pass plays. They've been making them all year. But you know those those are you know the the Tampa the route we ran they ran against cover two was a really well designed route and they caught us in the covers they wanted us in. It was a beater for that coverage and they execute it perfectly. It's it's a new route that we'll be working on. I give him credit on that one. Later they had a seam route against us where we we didn't We didn't we didn't get into coverage we wanted to get in, you know, and that's just that's tough, and we gotta do better with that. But we can do better. We will do better. Gotta keep chasing it. We got too many good players, too many good coaches to and you know, we catch the ball. I mean, I know we got guys that can catch. You know, we had what two or three interceptions? Marlon got two? How many could we have had right in our hands? You know? So you catch those things, you don't have to worry about three more plays that you have to defend, you know. So just we can do it, and they'll do it. And once we start doing it, it's gonna make a big it's gonna be another turbo boost for our team.
Speaker 5: Going back to that lead block by Lamar, what's that say about his competitiveness. It's fourth quarter up sixteen at the time. Other guys would just you know.
Speaker 2: Another Yeah, I think he speaks for itself. I mean, that's that's the kind of stuff that he does, and he is he is. How about the way he runs, you know, he just he's an ultimate competitor. There's no question about it. He's I don't know if I've seen a better competitor than Lamar. Jackson, and I've seen I've seen some competitors, you know, a lot of some great competitors. But he is, he is, he is in that level with the greatest competitors that I've ever seen, maybe maybe maybe the greatest we'll see, you know, just amazing.
Speaker 1: Next up, quarterback Lamar Jackson broke down the offense's mindset.
Speaker 4: That was out there.
Speaker 8: Man, I'm goad. It wasn't still tonight. Those guys were flying around. He was getting after us a little bit, got a couple of SATs, a few sacks, disrupted us a few times. Uh, but but we we came out victoria, So that's all that mattered.
Speaker 5: They go with ten opping obviously, what's the conversation, granted the store early first quarter, what's the conversation with you in the offense.
Speaker 3: At that point?
Speaker 8: Let's go right, you know, we gotta score points to us, like see a team just moving the ball and pulling points on the bail without us going, uh, we didn't. We didn't do anything our drive the first drive. It's like, man, we gotta have some urgency with ourselves. And that's what it was, and that I believe that's what we did. The next couple drives, we start pulling points on the board. Those guys were still getting after us a little bit, but you know, we was came out and talk.
Speaker 5: Is there a feeling that it's all plata and now how well you were playing that Hey it's gonna click and we're we're gonna score a lot of points adventurely.
Speaker 3: Uh nah, that don't uh, that don't really be on our mind.
Speaker 8: Our mind is just focus on the drive, focus on the play, and just go from there.
Speaker 3: Try to put points on the board.
Speaker 8: But we don't really look at it like we or we clicking and we got 'em like it's like we gotta score it each and every time we out there more.
Speaker 6: Some of your best games or your most memorable games have happened on Monday night. And I know a while back you said that it doesn't really matter when do you play, but that doesn't matter to to kind of do the things you.
Speaker 3: Doing on stage like this, m M. I'm I'm chasing something right now.
Speaker 8: So each and every game is gonna be the same thing for me, like gonna be the same person every game I'm tryna win.
Speaker 7: Or could you imagine at the beginning of the year that Dorkia time where you'd beat Derreck Henry's lead blocker, uh per.
Speaker 3: White like or was nah? Not really?
Speaker 8: Uh, but you know he made a move cut back r cut back cross field.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to give him an in zone.
Speaker 8: So it's like I got you, Like I'm see this guy twenty s twenty four see thirty one. I thought he was passing me with thirty one, I would I woulda kept blocking him, but he got a lot of yards.
Speaker 5: Can you take us to the long touchdown passes the leaving uh.
Speaker 8: Ah, I believe it was s It looked like it was gonna be uh two man, but uh, thirty one win winfield. He dropped like kind of buzz i poached and bait just did the rest. I just had to give him a good ball, didn't warn.
Speaker 2: Uh Marcas down the uh the the team leader of the franchise history and the touchdown passes screen uh uh A couple from you.
Speaker 9: Uh just just what does that mean that at that accomplishment?
Speaker 8: That's crazy man. Uh we've been at it for a few years now.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: That's great for Mark to have. I feel like he should have been had that like last year. But you know we made it happen, you know, and it's only more touch down from here, no doubt you.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Obviously great stretches in your career. Does the this five games you know stretch right now? D Does it feel any different than the other years where it seems like everything's been clicking for you.
Speaker 8: I don't even worry about the old year like years probably, you know, I'm focused on right now and us just being five and two don't really matter. We just trying to be one to know each and every week we out there on that field.
Speaker 6: Do you feel especially locked in? Like just can you take us inside your mind?
Speaker 8: It like when you're well playing football, tryna win. That's all that's in my mind, trying to win, sir?
Speaker 3: Well, is there.
Speaker 5: Something about playing under the lights at night that the Jets you going.
Speaker 3: At at all?
Speaker 7: Like different?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 5: Is it different for you as a player?
Speaker 3: M No, not really.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: It was great weather, great atmosphere, humidity was my let's play football.
Speaker 1: And that's all finally. Mark Andrews on breaking the organizations franchise touchdown records, you know.
Speaker 9: Obviously, Uh, incredibly grateful and you know you're just thinking back. You got to think about you know, you know, get getting drafted this incredible organization with A. I've been blessed with A with incredible teammates obviously number eight and having that connection, but I'm fortunate to have you know, incredible teammates, unselfish guys, you know, and just just keep chiev on going. I'm you know, coaches, players, everybody, and uh, and you got to look back at the guys like Todd Heap and the guys that have done him before you and uh, just be grateful that I'm in this situation and and blessed and like you said, just taking a week by week. You know, I'm not satisfying that you grew up watching it anyway, you know a little bit, you know, he's an Arizona guy a little bit, but uh, yeah, he's he's an awesome dude and uh, an incredible player and obviously raven for life.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 6: What strikes you out the way that the Mark and elevate his game in any game. But I guess you know, especially Pride time has been alongside for some of these games where he's just super goop.
Speaker 9: But it doesn't matter you know, when, where or what. You know, he's always He's the ultimate competitor. You see it out there, you know, him making that that Derrick Henry block. It's just play after play after play of him making big time plays and helping this team win games. He does it better than anybody in the league. And uh, we're so fortunate to be to be, you know, with him and just try to help him out. And you know, he lays it out in the line every game and just just really awesome. And he's the best.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: He's MVP.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 9: He's playing really really good. He's playing really really good. But like you said, it's it's a week by week. We're gonna continue to descrive to be better, focused on the things that maybe we didn't do right, and get better. We're not satisfied. We're just gonna take a week by week and game by game. And but yeah, man, he's he's in credit.
Speaker 7: Down ten or early. It seems like there's penalties an almost every every play. How did you feel like you guys kind of showed your maturity in terms of on offense just getting the ball going right down the field and turning that game around.
Speaker 9: Well, you really got to salute the defense, you know, having a turnover. You know, I think some I forget where it was, you know what the score was, but that turnover from Marlin was huge and allowed us to to kind of get up on them. And you know, so I think it was it was complimentary football, you know, all three phases. Offense, defense, special teams, and guys making plays. And that's the thing about this team is we have guys that are gonna step up and make plays and and are so unselfish, which is beautiful.
Speaker 6: One of those guys, obviously, every game it seems like he builds up what he did the last time. Now, what have you seen from his development? And what does it mean to him to you to see.
Speaker 9: Him pop off at this Well, he's just hitting his stride. You know, he's he's he's incredibly focused and you know he's doing this thing. It's awesome to see him have the big time play that may have been the biggest play of the game, you know, that big time you know, long touchdown. He's just making plays doing what he does. Incredible acting, incredible receiver. And yeah, I'm very happy for.
Speaker 5: You know, really on about you're not getting has been catches and so forth, and the way the offense is going kind of falling into the rhythm here to touchdowns, catches, et cetera. What is that pory difficult at all for you to be patient into? How much more dangerous as it so often to become as you know, got more guys are gonna eat ball.
Speaker 9: You know, for me, like you said, just just staying patient and you know, knowing that I'm gonna hit my stride. But you know, you kind of look at our stats and you know, everybody's able to touch the ball, everybody's able to do something. And that's what you know, I think makes makes us so dangerous is that we're spending the ball around, the have athletes and playmakers.
Speaker 3: All over the board, the yat guys.
Speaker 9: Every everything. So you know, for us, it's just about being unselfish and we have that team, we have that offense, and you know, don't get up, don't get too high or too low. And that's that's kind of my that's.
Speaker 4: It for a team, you know, after you start owing to you know, disappointing going to start and then we all five wins and being some of the better teams in the league doing star resiliency.
Speaker 9: That's a big word for us, is you know, we we you know, after those two losses, you know, just going to work and focusing on, you know, how we can be better because we knew we're on the cusp of you know, you know, kind of turning things over and being efficient and playing good ball. And it's just a little things of football, you know, not making the mistakes, you know, little things of you know, making big blocks, making you know, just lining up right, you know everything. So we we're the coaches, players, everybody, We're all on the same page. And that's what it is.
Speaker 6: Market Like in the third quarter, you guys are up seventeen support and three. I think most people would probably keep the field goal and take the easy points. What did it say to you that, you know, John cos for you guys getting that.
Speaker 9: Touched ONWN, it was great. It was a great, great call, great ball, and yeah, I thought it was awesome, you know, big time playing and that moment and just putting points on.
Speaker 3: The board was great.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with you again on Wednesday as coach harbal Lamar Jackson and mar Ravens will adjust the media after practice. Thanks for listening.