Speaker 1: All right, you guys want to hear the craziest thing that I just realized.
Speaker 2: Yes, always I love the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 1: Mmmm, the old black and white, the Sling original.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can tell you my favorite episodes, Like I know all the classic ones, like the Glasses one, you know, the End of the World.
Speaker 1: My favorite episode is the one where.
Speaker 2: It's all from a POV of a woman getting surgery and people keep coming in but they're wearing masks and they're trying to make her normal and the whole and then it turns out that she's that they're all pig faces.
Speaker 3: Model.
Speaker 2: I like, you know, every single episode of twilight Zone. And we were I was watching something or talking with my wife, and I realized, I have never seen an episode of Twilight Zone. But yeah, what I had as a kid was a book that described every episode. And I had the studio teacher on lems my or actually was.
Speaker 1: She wasn't even a student teacher, she was.
Speaker 2: A social worker and she would tell us Twilight Zone episode stories as like scary stories. In our dressing room, she would turn off all the lights. So I've memorized every episode of Twilight Zone. And then she got me this book as like a going away gift. So I would read it and i'd see black and white frame shots from but I've never seen an episode.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jensen just said it's the Twilight Zone companion book.
Speaker 4: Yes, had it as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it was a way for me to read and what I read, But I had never realized that, I because I have images from the ferns. But isn't that weird that I've absorbed this entire pop cultural reference without ever seen it?
Speaker 1: Go watch them?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I'm excited because I actually think Indy would really love them too. And I'm like, and it's you know, it's scary, but it's not really, It's just good storytelling. But it's so funny that this thing has influenced me so much. Like I think about those stories all the time. I you know, I use them for how I think about writing, and I have like irony and stories and reversals.
Speaker 1: And yet I've never seen an episode. Isn't that you were?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 1: Were? You a Tales from the Crypt fan? Too? Uh? No, But again, I know some stories, but I've never watched them. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh, Tales from the Crypt was great. That was a great, great show too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, see, we never had television, so I remember getting my grandparents TV out because there I had heard about there was a couple one off or anthology series when we were kids, like they that were based on the horror films like Friday the Thirteen and Nightmare on Elm Street. They had their own like one up and Channel fifty would air them. And so I would get my grandparents TV and try and get the sad like.
Speaker 1: The end of.
Speaker 2: And I got to get it in black and white and would and I would try. It never worked. I wanted so bad to be able to see these, like, you know, scary stories that I could never get.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is so weird the way we absorb media like.
Speaker 2: You can you can have absorbed like I've gone my entire life thinking I've seen all these twilightsises and never actually never actually seen it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it sounds perfect for me because I don't ever want to watch anything, but I love to read. So I'm like, ooh, you tell me I could sit down and consume five episodes of a.
Speaker 4: Show without having to watch anything.
Speaker 1: It's watching is a show that I have seen.
Speaker 3: Those two episodes writer mentioned the reading one with the End of the World The Glasses and I of the Beholder is.
Speaker 6: The episode of the episode that told us about Yeah no, it's yeah, the whole thing back in the day of you know, trying to find your shows and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: The anthology thing with the horror stories. I'd love to find. But did you did you.
Speaker 6: See the thing that one artist did where there's some lake up by a campsite somewhere and he made a full size Jason, like the mask everything, and he put it down with chains into the lake. So if you scuba dive down there, there's a full Jason that's like wrapped up in the thing. And so it's like it's like the way they ended the movie where he's down there. So he's actually down at the bottom of the lake. And there's become a place where people go and they scuba dive and they take pictures of it. It's really creepy because you don't know where it is, and then you have to have shine a light on it and Jason down there.
Speaker 7: At the bottom.
Speaker 1: Super cool nighttime scuba dive people have been doing so they can find Jason right at the bottom of the lake. Yeah, that's so cool, totally cool.
Speaker 4: Welcome to pod Meets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel Fischel, I'm Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 3: When we started this podcast, we barely knew what we were doing. We knew we wanted to be truthful and replicate the conversations the three of us were having at dinners during conventions, but as far as how we'd go about it, that was always a let's mold it as it's happening type of thing. So we both our production team and went about the process of living and learning. If you remember, at first we were only going to do one episode a week. A second episode would be a treat. Then we realized we couldn't stop ourselves from talking endlessly for hours even if we tried, so two shouldn't be a problem. We tried having outside guests sit in on recaps, we obviously adapted during the strike.
Speaker 4: And hell, we've even podcasted from a car.
Speaker 3: This show has always been its own living organism, and we're happy it's still breathing. And when we kicked everything off, we wanted to interview a few of the later season guest stars right off the bat, even before they'd appear in the rewatch. The actors with the most episodes to their name seemed important first, so we started with Trina McGhee and our guest this week, Matthew Lawrence back in season one of the pod. We learned quickly we didn't really have any episodes to talk about with them yet, considering you all know how little we remember, and we figured we'll get to everyone when they pop up and have scenes to dissect, in questions to ask. And now here we are in season five, our Jack Hunter era, and so this week we are thrilled to welcome back an actor who's synonymous with Boy Meets World, almost seventy episodes worth, actually debuting in the season five premiere and staying until the very last episode of the show. He began his career as a little boy on Dynasty and appeared in classics like Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Missus Doubtfire. You know him from shows like Give Me a Break, Blossom and Brotherly Love, a sitcom he starred in alongside his two brothers, Joey and Andy and his co hosts now on a podcast of the same name. Today on Pod meets World, back when we have more to talk about. It's the half brother we never knew we had. Let's say hello to Matthew Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Eh, say God, good to see you. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Not much?
Speaker 1: How you doing? I'm doing all right? How are you look like you're in a pro studio? Is this your home studio? Yeah, it's like there's that nice. I've been there.
Speaker 7: I've been there or speaking of which, speaking of being here, guys, I would love if you would all be on the show.
Speaker 1: I know it's a lot to ask.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, of course, would we love it?
Speaker 1: Love? Okay, amazing, I already did it. I'm not I don't want to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please please, please please.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So we are very excited to have you because we have now entered the Jack Hunter era of Boy Meets World, and now we have a lot of very specific questions. But first, before we get into that, I would like to know if you could tell me more about this recent Lawrence Brothers vacation that you guys went on.
Speaker 1: That you seem to be gone for three months or something.
Speaker 3: I lived vicariously through this entire vacation, and I need to know more about this sleeping situation where you and Joe had to share a room.
Speaker 4: Tell me what who was on the vacation. What would what did you do? I want to know everything?
Speaker 7: Okay, cool, Yeah, I'm glad to talk about it. We got very lucky. So the girl my nieces are one's going into high school and one's going away to college.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 7: And we hadn't been believed it or not like people. You know, I'm sure you guys can relate. People see you on a podcast together and they think that you're together all the time and you're hanging out, but actually when you do podcasts and you're working together, your hangout time becomes work, so it's not really like hangout times as a family. We hadn't been on vacation in probably over like a decade, no joke, we hades. So the girls wanted to go to Disneyland before they kind of went into these new phases in their lives, and it was to go to Disneyland for like four or five days, stay at the hotel.
Speaker 1: Do it was astronomical?
Speaker 3: Oh Yeahsney doesn't us like they used to.
Speaker 4: No guides, no, no guides, nothing dollars.
Speaker 1: We're like, wait a minute. We were like this is crazy.
Speaker 7: And so I happened to go to Sandals with my girlfriend at the beginning of the year, and so we reached out to Sandals and they have a family partner, which is Beach's Resorts, and they had they were they were so gracious. They were like, yeah, come down, you know, have fun. We had no idea. We thought, Okay, this will be you know, it'll be cool to all be together.
Speaker 1: No matter what happens, it'll be fun.
Speaker 7: But this was one of those like all time great family vacations. So it was Joe, me, Andy, Andy's girlfriend, my mom, and our nieces and yeah, it was sweet and.
Speaker 1: But the room situation was hilarious. It was this beautiful room.
Speaker 7: But when we got in there, the girls like freaked out over the main suite because of the bathroom and the vanity and all this stuff. So Joe and I were like, well.
Speaker 4: We should let them have that.
Speaker 7: We're gonna let the girls have the main suite and we're gonna take the two beds. And it was the first time since we were like sixteen that we had shared a room together.
Speaker 1: A lot of interesting stuff. Apparently I snore.
Speaker 8: Joe's literally much like the episode and yeah, oh my god, yeah did you did you?
Speaker 1: And Joe whistle That's the question we we did.
Speaker 7: We you know, our wrestling was about the bathroom. Spends hours in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: I think that's like when you have kids. It's like for a.
Speaker 7: Guy, it's a sectuary sanctuary exactly. Joe and I did have an issue over the bathroom, but outside of that it was all right.
Speaker 1: No no major fights.
Speaker 6: But no way you were at sandals where where exactly where he was this Jamaica.
Speaker 7: Jamaica beach is a grill. It's beautiful seven Mile Beach. Guys, if you ever get a chance to take your family there, I just want to go.
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Seven for will If you need location, yeah, security.
Speaker 4: Used to walk around, the safe to walk around.
Speaker 7: That's yes, absolutely, it's beautiful. You know you have to there's always those issues when you go, you know, to places, and I know that they have these alerts sometimes for safety, but I never felt unsafe once.
Speaker 4: Did anyone go herping with you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: No, But I just I just didn't know if anybody was, like, were you alone?
Speaker 4: Did you solo herp?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 6: You know? Herping is forever? There is no cure. So it's so true you're just throwing what is.
Speaker 1: Hunting? That's right. Yes.
Speaker 7: The study of reptiles amphibians is called herpetology. So when you go out into the field and you you look for them, it's called herping.
Speaker 1: It's an absolutely unfortunate title for it. It really is. I'll tell you, I've gotten it all my life.
Speaker 7: Everybody, whenever I say it, they always either give me a double take, or if they have enough to, you know, want to say something, they will They're like, well, staying away from you, right, yeah, but yeah, I did most of the nights. I love There's these little colloquial frogs that make these little like whistling Oh cool, And I caught a bunch of those.
Speaker 1: I was checking those out.
Speaker 7: There's a bunch of different geckos and endemic anoles and uh, all sorts of stuff and birds, bats.
Speaker 3: Do you know of the I think that I don't know if this is like its official term, but it's called a Tokay gecko.
Speaker 4: Do you know that? Okay?
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 3: So Jensen and I when we went to Thailand, Okay splurged in this on this one night in this gorgeous hotel that was like fully in a jungle, and our room was up high and we had the bathroom was outside, and we we get into bed and we hear oh yeah, and I'm like, I'm like what I look at I'm like, did you okay?
Speaker 1: That was weird?
Speaker 3: And then we go back like I'm in I'm reading my book. Jensen's on his phone. We hear.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's a bit of a seductive to.
Speaker 3: It really was kind of sexy, and I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: I look at Jensen again. He's like I heard at that time? What is it?
Speaker 3: And I'm like hearing it from my right side, but there's nothing except forest out the right, Like there's just jungle out there, and I'm like, this is so weird, and I go, I.
Speaker 4: Haven't washed my face yet. What if I what is?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Who's out there? What is it? What's talking? So we end up going outside quickly trying to get ready. The whole time I'm like, this is the craziest thing ever.
Speaker 1: So we quickly wash.
Speaker 3: Our face, brush our teeth, run back in and it keeps happening. So I call down. I'm like, Hi, this is gonna sound so so weird. But there is someone saying okay.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 4: Somebody's and uh Anyway, she was like, oh, it's the toe k get go. They really do, just go, Okay, they do.
Speaker 1: They're they're amazing.
Speaker 7: I was in the Philippines and I was staying in a similar place like that where it was just jungle, and we had some massive they can get big, and they're.
Speaker 1: Called little factory.
Speaker 7: They're called the pit bulls of the of the gecko community because they have a really gnarly bite, like they can actually bite the crap out of you.
Speaker 1: Their heads are like awesome.
Speaker 7: I would have seen I would have been like and I would have been out in the jungle flash headlamp or something.
Speaker 4: So oh man. Well, once we knew what it was, we were like, okay, well, okay.
Speaker 7: You should sleep easy because they will take care of all the other bugs you don't want around.
Speaker 4: Great. Great, I love to hear that.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you for I wanted to make sure I wasn't totally crazy, because anytime I've told the story to somebody.
Speaker 4: Else, they're like, hmm, that's a cute story.
Speaker 3: We don't know anything about the to We don't believe you, but I knew Matt would know.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: They're beautiful too. They're like cream colored with these range spots.
Speaker 1: The gorgeous. Yeah, really really cool.
Speaker 8: Get go.
Speaker 3: Before we jump into boy meets World chat, I just wanted to acknowledge because you mentioned your girlfriend Chili earlier, and I just want to say we were all present when you guys met.
Speaker 4: It was at Nineties Con.
Speaker 2: We were all there and as welcome, Yeah, bringing the nineties icons together, and.
Speaker 3: I feel like we had a little hand in this love story and it just makes me happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you guys did. I think that's why I think it's definitely true. That was crazy.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I almost didn't go. Really, I almost couldn't go. Yeah, it was like the down to the last minute. Wow, yeah, my friend.
Speaker 7: And then the only reason why I actually had a long conversation with Chili is because I had to get back for work and I had to change my flight and I don't know if you remember, it was snowstorm and they were like, so I was supposed to fly through I think Detroit, LA. And then the other flight I was able to get was through Atlanta, which is where lives was going. So we actually connected on the plane ride back that that first leg of the plane ride because we were sitting shoes sting right behind me, so we just started chatting and stuff nice.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: We were literally just like talking like people were so just been like, oh god, I hate this. So yeah, it was. It was terrible.
Speaker 3: That plane was furious. They were like, long are these two? And when they started dating, they were like all right, all right, okay, boy meets World chat. When was the last time you watched an episode of Boy Meets.
Speaker 7: World outside of literally when we wrapped last night, because I wanted, I swear, I mean I had, like I'd seen clips obviously on social media people are always posting stuff, but uh, I actually actually I got an email from your crew and they were like, hey, they're on this episode on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: And I was like, hey, you know, I was getting to bed. It was like instead of.
Speaker 7: Putting on, you know, some not geo specials, like I'm gonna put on Boy Mets World and I'm gonna watch some of it.
Speaker 1: And it was a good episode. It was a great episode, guys. I gotta say I was.
Speaker 7: I was honestly expecting to be like, cringe, I can't watch myself.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to. I was actually really pleasantly described.
Speaker 7: So much fun like and I was I absolutely got such a joy watching you guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, you guys were all so great.
Speaker 7: It's weird because I was like still coming into my own when it comes to like the timing and the show and you guys. But you guys were so like in the in the I mean you were just in it. Man. You were so on point and good. I enjoyed every single one of your characters.
Speaker 1: It was great. The storyline was great.
Speaker 7: I genuinely laughed, like genuinely was like, wow, yeah, they don't.
Speaker 1: They don't make them like they used to.
Speaker 3: In the few episodes leading up to this spectacular episode, we have absolutely watched you become very comfortable. We see it happening. There are some really funny line deliveries. There's some really interesting choices. It's been such a joy to watch you and kill culminated in this episode. It's just an incredible performance by you. I need to know that boxing dance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you just do that? It was so genius?
Speaker 7: Did you I appreciate it? No, I was super nervous about doing that. So that was like an out of body experience. It was like, I'm just gonna go with it here.
Speaker 1: It works, and it works.
Speaker 7: Sometimes that happens right Sometimes, you know, actors always say you can come off of stage and you like, that's the worst performance ever did.
Speaker 1: People were like, we love it.
Speaker 7: And then you can come off stage and be like, that was probably the best performance I've ever given and people are.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, yeah, we got to do that again. You never know sometimes as an actor. So, but you and I were doing so much physical stuff in this episode. Did we have a stunt? Court? I don't remember? Or did we just I was.
Speaker 7: Thinking of a lot of this stuff I didn't even remember doing, like I was we did that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wait, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we had a stump and they're good because it's all time to the dialogue and it was just believable enough that we could.
Speaker 1: Keep pinning each other. It's like there's like four reversals.
Speaker 4: I was like, how did.
Speaker 1: We pull this off? But we didn't know that.
Speaker 6: We did?
Speaker 1: Fun, guys, it was so much fun.
Speaker 7: It brought back so many good memories and yeah, I just, like I said, I just such a joy to watch you guys so so great.
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna keep putting it back on you, Matt, because we feel exactly the same way about you, and you've really settled into your own in such a beautiful way. One of the little Easter eggs that we've noticed of the guy's apartment is that there is art, photographic art above the kitchen sink that keeps changing.
Speaker 4: Change every week.
Speaker 3: It's a food, it's a food item, and they changed the food every week every week. Did you have any memory of this last week, not this week with you guys, with the with the sharing a room, but the week.
Speaker 4: Before it was a hot dog, it was a with mustard.
Speaker 3: The week before there was something with like some Chinese food, kim chi.
Speaker 4: Maybe do you remember anything about that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: I have a I don't know if this is correct or accurate, but I do have a vague memory of the set deck and props talking about how they used to do funny things in the kitchen, said on Seinfeld. And he was friends with that guy and he was trying to incorporate I remember him trying to incorporate certain things like that that were.
Speaker 1: Remember. I remember him saying that.
Speaker 7: I remember going, wait a minute. I remember one time going wait a minute, was that there? And he was like, no, no, that's our little that's our little thing.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: One of the things they took from Seinfeld is Seinfeld had his in his kitchen, had his cereal boxes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean just like one of his favorite things.
Speaker 6: And one of his cereals was and of course they had to greek out some of the some of the titles, so one of his cereals was Waffel Crisp instead of waffle cross minute, And so we for a while in the apartment had Vaffel Crisp. We had the same they like greet did out in exactly the.
Speaker 1: Same way because of Seinfeld. So great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, there was a lot of like plays on that show when they were in the certain sets, you know, in these familiar living room kitchen sets.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Super cool.
Speaker 3: So your relationship with Sean is such a big starting point for your character, and it starts off pretty emotional. Do you have any memories of getting to know writer and working on those scenes as actors?
Speaker 7: Well, I think I don't know if this was what you experienced, but for me it was we weren't supposed to really know each other very well, so I didn't put any emphasis on, Hey, we got to develop these mannerism, we got to like really work it was almost like, hey, let's kind of go into this a little cold and see how it goes, because that uncomfortable kind of freshness of it would be I think perfect for the performance.
Speaker 1: So that's what I was feeling.
Speaker 7: I was kind of actually purposefully just sort of going in that my relationship, get to know you kind of as the characters. I knew that the first couple of weeks it.
Speaker 1: Needed to be bumpy. I mean it was going to be bumpy. So yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 7: I don't even know if we like went off on the side and even rehearsed once, right, like we just kind of we were on set.
Speaker 1: We did it.
Speaker 7: We obviously had our run throughs and stuff, so we were able to get up to speed, but we never had that like let's go aside and really form that because you and I did.
Speaker 1: You and I did that several times.
Speaker 7: We had to because we were getting paired together and kind of like a buddy couple type of things. So it made sense for us to do because that had to that had to kind of catch up much quicker, whereas our relationship as brothers was somewhat estranged and and we didn't really grow up together, so it was best.
Speaker 1: I felt if we did keep a little bit of distance there.
Speaker 7: As much as I wanted to be like, let's go to lunch to hang out, you know, of course I wanted to do that, but I thought, let's see if we can work this in.
Speaker 1: But it worked out great.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's that this episode, when we finally are able to like do scenes and work together, it's so refreshing, Like it's so good. It makes everything better. Like I wish this had been the first episode, you know, because when they played it for the drama, it just because both of us were very you know, both of us were very serious actors. We both wanted to be more dramatic actors than commedys, right, and so you put two of those together and it just didn't wear as you and will because you could be the more straight guy against his like wackiness. You just had so much more chemistry. But then this episode where we're allowed to be a little silly together.
Speaker 7: It was I was thinking the same thing, and dude that I was so impressed too with you Ryder because you know, you took on more of the brunt of carrying the more serious, you know, subtexts when it came to the plot of the show.
Speaker 1: That was kind of you know, put on you and and and rightfully so that you know, you're really great with that stuff. But it was so much fun.
Speaker 7: Too to get to see you like, yeah, you can do both.
Speaker 1: It was awesome, dude.
Speaker 7: It was so much fun to see, Yeah, you get to lighten up because you have that side to you as well. And I feel like for a couple of years there you had been really hammering out the.
Speaker 2: Serious conte and then I think for the rest of the show, yeah, you kind of drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great to see.
Speaker 7: I really loved I love seeing that you had a complete one eighty reversal.
Speaker 1: It was It was awesome.
Speaker 3: So, as you mentioned, it was a little bit different than with your relationship with Will, because you guys did have that kind of buddy chemistry. What do you remember about your time with Will getting to know each other and working on your your scenes together.
Speaker 7: All I know is there was one there was one like, uh, there was one note session where we were getting some notes and we hadn't quite like really found the pieces and you cracked a joke about as long as my hip's working or something, as long as the hips working I don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: It flored me.
Speaker 7: I and for some reason, that little ad lib you gave, not on camera but in a note session clicked with your timing for me, and I was like, oh my gosh, this timing is freaking hilarious. And then I started to watch for it and I realized you had this kind of natural syncopation with that.
Speaker 1: Type of timing.
Speaker 7: It just flowed out of you, and I was like, I could, I could fill in the beats there and give you a launching platform and it felt comfortable, like a little real comfortable spot for me.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I love this.
Speaker 7: I love being the guy to like, hey, dude, here's here's a here's a.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it felt like. As soon as I as soon as.
Speaker 7: That one note session was over, it clicked for me. And then from that point forward, I was kind of like, oh, I get it. Now let's just kind of bat off each other and let's just play off each other and I'll fill in those slots that you.
Speaker 1: And it worked.
Speaker 7: I mean it just worked, dude. Yeah, it totally worked. And then it was just it was just pure joy. You know, you don't know when you're doing it, But when you have space away from it and you try to recreate it later on down the road or you think you're gonna those pure joy moments on camera doing bits with another actor are very few and far between. Yeah, and I didn't realize how special they were, but they were.
Speaker 1: It was just pure.
Speaker 7: Joy out there, like you can't beat it, because I wasn't even thinking like it was like you're in a zen space. You're in this like out of body, like bigger than and better than you could expect you to be at that moment because you're kind of like you're feeding off of someone else's energy and it's just it was great, man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, it it clicked for the two of us, It really did. And and I think also we just we would work on it together too, because I know there was times where they'd be off doing their scenes down the way with you know, the director, everybody, and then you and I would run into the set and be like, all right, let's let's work through this, and you and I would like just the two of us go through the scene.
Speaker 1: And it did. We just connected as actors. It was great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I started to really care, I mean really care about the product. Because I knew it like it was work, So why not give it like one hundred and eighty percent to see where this could go?
Speaker 1: You know, sorry, go ahead, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm curious if you can, because I feel like, you know, we've talked over the years about your journey as an actor, and I feel like you've had so many distinct phases, particularly since you kind of came of consciousness already acting. I mean, you were already in shows, in commercials, doing stuff. And I've heard you talk about before like the pressures you put on yourself and how can you like talk about the journeys the journey you've been on, are like the major movements that you've gone through, like in your approach to acting or what acting has meant to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean sure, absolutely acting has been you know. I mean, guys, you know it's it's it's one heck of a journey. I don't wish it on anybody that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Really truly love it.
Speaker 7: I got lucky because I started so young, wasn't necessarily a conscious choice. I got lucky that it's something that I really really love. And when you really really love some than like that everything that goes on in that journey becomes worth it, you know, because you would do it anyway, and so.
Speaker 1: It was all worth it.
Speaker 7: But you know, there were there were a lot of times growing up where I did things kind of all out of place, like I I'm sure again you guys can maybe relate to this, like things that I should have you know, had in my development as a young maybe seven to ten or seven to twelve year old. I had to figure out a little later in life and things that I should have been going through maybe and even my twenties, I had to figure out, you know, in that age range and that seven to twelve injury.
Speaker 1: So it was all over the place.
Speaker 7: I got lucky that, you know, I was, so I was on the right projects, surrounded by people like you guys, I had my family.
Speaker 1: It was a nice bubble.
Speaker 7: I didn't you know, get get caught up into, you know, the wrong and stuff on the ugly side of the business.
Speaker 1: I was protected, you know in a way.
Speaker 7: But the one thing that I do wish you were saying about pressure or I did put a lot of pressure and it didn't click until maybe the last season of Boy Meets World for me as an actor, where I realized those moments I think, you know what it is. I had an audition where I went in and my agent had gotten all mixed up. They'd given me the wrong sides for the wrong character, and I'd spent like it was like a pretty big, you know deal. It was like a maybe not a studio test, maybe a screen test. And they're like, you know, in the old days, I used to have like twenty people in the room. And they called me in and they literally I get in the room, was like I met the receptionist said there was a mistake. I get in the room and I'm like, all right, let's go and read this character of Dan.
Speaker 1: Or whatever it was. And they were like, oh no, you're not.
Speaker 7: You're not coming in for that pages three scenes comedy, like you gotta be like you know and uh. And the executi producer who I remember was a big execut producer.
Speaker 1: I think he had just come off of like Everybody Loves Raymond.
Speaker 7: It was like a big and he goes, no, but here's three scenes for this other character, and just do them cold.
Speaker 1: You're a pro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my gosh, my gosh.
Speaker 1: So it's also kind of freeing in a way, right, like hey, yeah, I had to go, you know what I'm gonna drop. I had to drop everything. There was no room for nerves. There was no room for anything. And I had that again, that like out of body experience. They were laughing and they were and they were.
Speaker 7: Like at the end, they were like, it was probably one of the best reads I had. I didn't get the role, but it was probably one of the best reads. They've just said that you know you're not right for the character, but it was one of the best cold reads in a room we've seen.
Speaker 1: A long time.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 7: After that, I realized even in those moments like whether you got to make people laugh or even cry, if you're backstage and you're like, oh my gosh, the nerves.
Speaker 1: Block Yeah, all of.
Speaker 7: The really good stuff, like when you want to just naturally have tears flowing, or if you want to just naturally make somebody laugh.
Speaker 1: Nerves are the worst thing you can work up for that.
Speaker 7: It's kind to be the opposite, like you got to work about let it all go take, you know, do breathing exercises, whatever you gotta do to calm yourself and center yourself before you go out there and perform.
Speaker 1: Otherwise you're just going to get in your own way. It's also over over rehearsing too.
Speaker 6: I mean, the worst audition I ever had in my life was one that I just rehearsed too much for and then you walk in.
Speaker 1: And I was and it was that was it.
Speaker 7: So it was like that last season, that audition, that last season of Woman's World was actually when I became an actor. Honestly, before that, I was just kind of a young kid. I was finding my way. I was trying out different things. I was really hard on myself. I didn't like watching the stuff that I had done.
Speaker 1: I wasn't, you know.
Speaker 7: But it was in that moment i'd say, like that nineteen or twenty range whatever that was where it kind of clicked and then I was like, oh my gosh, you mean I can really be free and enjoy this thing that I love doing out there. That's something that's really special, and then I want to continue to do no matter what if people, you know, if i'd get jobs.
Speaker 1: Don't get you.
Speaker 7: It'll just be something until you know, hopefully I can do until my eighties if I live that long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's come up a few times on our show, especially the season because we've really noticed some differences in the show right off the bat with season five, and we've talked about some of the hurdles that we had. Do you remember working with Alan Myerson, the director of most of this season.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 7: You know I'm getting like weird flashes of his face and kind of his mannerisms. I haven't honestly thought about this probably I don't know, decades, but yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Again, I was a little bit in a bubble because you.
Speaker 7: Guys obviously had had previous experience and we're coming into this and then it had this experience with him. But I do recollect that there was a tension on set. I do remember that, and I remember there were some conflicts between the cast and him. I do remember that for sure. And so I think there was a moment where but I I didn't have the I didn't feel like I had the my feet underneath me enough to come state my position. But I think there was a couple of points where you were giving me some notes where I was like, ah, I don't know, or the way he gave me the notes.
Speaker 1: I think I was a little like that didn't feel great. You know.
Speaker 6: Maybe I don't remember one specifically. I remember one very specific moment, and you stood up for yourself. I did, you did, and and your read made it in and it was one of the funniest reads of the show. He wanted to change the Ushgar I want to break up.
Speaker 1: Remember where we were, yes the Henry.
Speaker 6: Episode, and he wanted you to engage her and do a different thing. And you're like, no, because I remember you came and talked to me about it. You're like, no, the comedy is I'm not looking at her. I'm looking away and finishing my thought and he doesn't want me to do it, and I'm like, well, go tell him that. You're like, you're right, I'm gonna and then you just did it your way and you got a big laugh. So it was he was Yeah, he was very hands on, I think is the nice way of putting it.
Speaker 3: And Matt, we get tons of comments on our Instagram, specifically about the way you delivered that line. But that is a fan favorite, bush Car, I want to break Up is a fan favorite.
Speaker 1: And you fought for that.
Speaker 6: That was you fought for that moment because he tried to change that, full on change it, and you were like, no, this is how it has to be. Done and it became a great line.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: How cool is that? You know again that how when? How often does that happen? Where you you want to do something and that happens to work.
Speaker 1: That's super cool.
Speaker 6: I have a question because you and I were standing next to each other at the time. Do you remember a certain actor who was a guest star blowing up at Alan on set?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean do you remember there's the two of us looking at each other. It was Paul Gleeson, Yes, who has since passed away. But he just and it came out of nowhere. Is the thing I remember is you and I were like sitting there in the middle of the scene and he just slammed his script down and went I'm not a puppet and we were like, oh damn.
Speaker 1: Like it just came out of nowhere. Do you remember that moment?
Speaker 7: Do I do?
Speaker 1: I totally remember that moment.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was super awkward, But again I.
Speaker 7: Felt kind of like, well, you know, maybe not the best approached, but I'm glad somebody's kind of speaking up and saying things because it was so it really was. It was and look, you know, in certain regards, I respect that he you know, had this opinion and wanted to do it, but it's always a collaboration. Yeah, I just especially for you guys. I was like, you know, they've been doing this a long time. I think if they if you pressure them on something and they pressed back enough with all these different things about why their character wouldn't or how they feel, I feel like you go with when a cast has been doing it for you know, four or five seasons at this.
Speaker 1: Point, you know.
Speaker 7: So I was kind of like, yeah, but yeah, that was awkward. It's always awkward when somebody blows up.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Blake Clark has been talked about a lot on the show, and we had him as a guest. You when you first come onto the show, you have kind of a right away you have a little bit of a heavy scene with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Was he somebody that in your scenes?
Speaker 3: Was Do you remember having like everyone else has talked about how hard it was for them to keep a straight face around him because he was just constantly so funny. Do you also remember having that experience or were in most of your scenes? Was it pretty heavy?
Speaker 7: You know, it was pretty heavy there. I think there was a couple moments where I started to realize how talented and funny he was. When it was those off moments and he started to just riff on cutting up when the camera wasn't rolling, that's when he kind of had me really going. But in those yeah, those first especially that first episode, Yeah, it was so serious and I was again, like we were talking about Rider, I was so in my head and so like again, I just I wanted to be able to match your intensity on screen. So I was so in my head about that that I it was probably I was probably pretty bulletproof too when I came to comedy at that point.
Speaker 1: Especially in those scenes, I was so you know.
Speaker 7: But then again when off camera, that's when he would just would have me rolling. I was a massive, like mega respect, you know for him. He's such a funny, such a funny guy.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's one of the He's arguably, if I had to go back and think of the complexity that is Blake Clark, he might be truly.
Speaker 1: One of the most interesting human beings I've ever met in my life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, because when you hear the stories that he had from back when you was a soldier compared to then starting as a comedian stand up I mean you're just sitting there and where he was raised, in the life he was raised. You walk away going like that is truly one of the most interesting human beings I've ever met. It was, Yeah, for sure, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, he's super cool. Yeah, stories were unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Do you do you remember was there ever a conversation that we had with anybody at any time anywhere where you and I? They told us we were gonna be paired up where it was going to kind of Okay, this is your new buddy and now it's going to be Jack and Eric. I don't remember that ever happening, do you No, I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: The only thing.
Speaker 7: The thing that I remember was when they were going to bring a female counterpart into.
Speaker 6: Our So you do you remember you remember a conversation about that you were there?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: I don't remember this at all? What happened? We were talking about what happened?
Speaker 7: You were there, and I know because they were they were they were it was like the week before and uh it was we were pulled aside saying, hey, we want to add in you know, this female counterpart for you guys to have this tug and pull and then and they're gonna have a casting session, want you guys to come up?
Speaker 1: Remember we walked up there? No, I remember this at all. We went to Maitland's casting session. Yes, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 7: It was like it was like, you know, it was one of those moments as an actor where you're like, man, maybe I finally have arrived.
Speaker 1: I'm going to casting sessions and I've already got the job too.
Speaker 2: You on the other side, right, So you were sitting there and and yeah, yeah we were that was that?
Speaker 1: Remember that at all? Oh? I'm sure it did. I don't remember that even slightly.
Speaker 6: And and I would love to figure out who else was there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, so funny.
Speaker 3: Okay, So going back to exactly kind of what we were talking about, with the different relationship between Sean and Jack and then Eric and Jack, we would absolutely be remiss and are some of our listeners would be very upset with me if I didn't talk to you about something that Will has brought up before, which is that Eric seemed to be the character with the biggest heart, seemed to understand relationships better than most. We did a whole episode where he was giving all the different guys advice and yet is the only care to not have a real relationship on the show. And there are a lot of people who are a big fan and a believer of the idea that somewhere in some universe Jack and Eric were maybe secretly in love.
Speaker 4: They have a nickname Jeric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has.
Speaker 7: Popped up on my Instagram feed. Yeah, it's like if this show was made now, these two guys that wouldn't have been buddies, they would have been a couple.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, what do you think about that?
Speaker 7: I don't think that genuinely was any aspect involved in in our totally totally was a like a a bromance in a in a platonic way, platonic way.
Speaker 1: Totally. I think that when it comes to you and why I think.
Speaker 7: Your character worked so darn well, is that because this this is a is a very real fact in normal life. A lot of the times, the people that have the best advice.
Speaker 1: For others are the ones that have the worst advice for themselves. It's like I can be.
Speaker 7: Your therapist, but I can't tell myself that I make all the mistakes. And that's why I'm so good at giving people advice. And it's also the yin and the yang of when it hits you out of a guy who usually comes in with the really funny, comedic kind of you know, airheady type comedy and then hits you with the truth that to me is like the best you can't deliver. It's like wrapping you know, the good stuff up in a donut. You know, it's like wrapping broccoli up in a donut. It's like you can't get people to eat and consume good stuff better than it being delivered by your character. So in that way, it really worked for me, you know, one percent, because that's a very real thing too. It's actually a very grounded thing that is about your character is that yes, you can give the best advice about others, but for yourself, you know, you're possible.
Speaker 6: There is also a little bit of the nice guy finishes last. Yeah, Eric was always the nice guy, especially towards the end. I was a little overweight, and I was just the nice guy. And there is unfortunately kind of that, Hey, that guy doesn't always end up with somebody right away, or you know, you really have to search to find the right person as opposed to just women throwing themselves at you.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's something there to that as well.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's let's talk about clothing, because they brought up I was watching these episodes, these early episodes that you're in, and you were wearing gigantic clothing, which I was like, why, Matt is like the most fit dude? It doesn't And then Danielle was but it wasn't you said that and I kind of was like, oh yeah, but actually, Matt, I mean, we used to make a very fitted shirt because he wore.
Speaker 1: Very fitted T shirts.
Speaker 6: He was ahead of the head of a fitted T shirts, para jeans, pair of shoes, and.
Speaker 1: To the point where we like it became like a running joke.
Speaker 2: It was like, Matt, you are so well dressed, and we we called him a pretty boy to his face, and it was like a point of contention. We gave each other a lot of it on the set and in retrospect, like do you remember like making a conscious choice or having any input on the wardrobe or was the wardrobe just out of your control or did it feel like do you have any comments?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do, I do.
Speaker 7: I So the the getting in shape thing happened right at the end the break between the first season. I was on the show with You Guys, and the next and the second season I was on You Guys, which would have been between five and six, I actually started to go to a gym and change things. Here's where it comes from, guys. I was actually always a very skinny, underweight kid, very skinny. Like my nickname was envelope boy because when you turned me to the side.
Speaker 1: You can see me.
Speaker 4: Oh geezh, Boy's a terrible name.
Speaker 1: I know everybody there to live you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I started doing that in my own life. I love that fashion was big, baggy clothes in that era, yeah, which has actually come back around another topic, thank god, a baggy clothes because they would cover my I would wear layers upon layers. So when I got there, my only thing was I didn't really have an input when it comes to what the stuff was.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: I just said, I want him big and baggy. I don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow. Now flash forward to the next season.
Speaker 7: I come in, I probably throw the wardrobe people at big curvebalgs and.
Speaker 1: Like only tight, I'm going off off in the gym. Okay, so that's what I'm remembering. I remember next season, so we'll see, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, because became super fashionable, and I remember like realizing, I was like, wow, you know, because we're working together every day. And I remember at some point realizing I've never seen Matt wear the same clothes twice. Like you were well dressed, and you had like you had a closet. You were like, you know, fashionable in a way.
Speaker 1: That I was not until my thirties for Christ's sake.
Speaker 2: But like back then you were like way like into it and you looked great. But in the show, I'm like, why is it wearing all these baggy clothes?
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 7: And when it comes to the wardrobe thing, you know, I had an older brother who had set a real standard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, set the bis like the bar a little high. So like I had, I'll never forget it.
Speaker 7: I had maybe a dresser of things that I would wear like with just when I was either doing around the house or going out for but to work, I had a whole other like closet that was just work close to work clothes and like costumes and anything I could pull. It was like a big you know wardrobe backlot almost. So that's that's where that came from. It wasn't like and again now you would see me again with podcasting, I have to have like a rack.
Speaker 1: But outside of that, like I you're a white you sure guy, Yeah, I'm a jeans and teacher. Like I'm a very minimalist.
Speaker 7: So it's just because of what we do that I kind of look at as like a costume department.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well we've mentioned the Witches of Penbrook, which was a big Jack Romp episode and we had a very high profile ninety sitcom guest star Kandas Cameron who played your love interest huh and Melissa General. Yeah, but Melissa didn't work with right mat But but you know Candace did. Do you remember Candace being there? And you know, was that a lot of pressure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: It was mainly because you know, I mean we had to kiss and stuff. Yeah, it's like, you know, bubble gum and mints, and you're like conscious about what all this is going to be. And she was obviously, you know, someone I had, you know, in a way sort of grown up watching as well. So yeah, sure there was that there and she was very sweet and then when I saw that she was a little nervous, it made me feel better, Like I was like, Okay, we're both a little nervous here, we're in the same boat.
Speaker 1: So you know, it made a little a little better. But yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Told us she was she felt a little weird because she wasn't kissing Joey because she knew Joey.
Speaker 7: Yeah remember, Yeah, I'm sure actually because yeah, they were in a sense more, I was like a younger brother.
Speaker 1: In that, right, And that's what she said.
Speaker 3: She was like, I remember being like I thought I would have kissed Joey first.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: I remember that being interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So did your family used to come to tape nights?
Speaker 3: How did your parents split up their support since you guys were all taping things at the same time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, No, they came to a bunch.
Speaker 7: It would always be uh, it would always be one or both of my parents or or maybe towards the end there actually was. I was a little bit more on my own. It was by choice.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that.
Speaker 7: I was like growing up and like doing my own thing. But yeah, they were always my mom, of course, you.
Speaker 1: Know she was.
Speaker 7: She would have we'd get into arguments. Can I please be in the audience this week?
Speaker 1: You're like, mom, come on.
Speaker 7: When I go out there, I don't want to you know, and I want to see my mom come on.
Speaker 1: You know, looking back, I'm like, of.
Speaker 7: Course, all I want to do is you know, see how how great is that to be able to have your mom in the audience.
Speaker 1: But you know, when you're going through those teen years, you're like kind of want to just be on my own. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: And then when I when I did your podcast, I asked Joe about that.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I didn't.
Speaker 6: Think you liked me at all and you never came to the show. And he's like, well, I did that on purpose because it was Matt show. He's like, I didn't want to be the guy sitting there. It's true, you know with my following in fandom, when it's like this is my brother's show, this is his chance. He's like, so that was that was done on purpose? Like, okay, I still was he liked me, But that's that's the whole different story.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, no, no, no not at all, no, no, there, it was never never liked that. Uh so he yeah, he was, you know, he was like it's like a mini pop star. Wherever he went, there was a wake.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I actually really appreciated that he respected that wake. Yeah, and and no matter where if he crawls intersected my life in some way or another, the wake and you know just what it was at that point for him, you know, So I I really, I really respected that. And then he also respected the fact that he saw, probably for the first time outside of our family dynamic, that I was connecting with another comedic actor, and.
Speaker 1: He was very respectful of that.
Speaker 7: So it was it was just more of a respect for the for our situation versus I'm not liking him. Yeah, it wasn't like that at all. Yeah, but I understand that people always said that about me too, Like I don't know if you guys, uh, well, of course you remember this, but when in Sync kept coming over to the set, and uh, I found out years later when I bumped into Justin that he thought I was not very nice.
Speaker 1: He didn't like me, and he flat out told me to my face.
Speaker 7: I went up to him and I was like, dude, you're because justified it like just coming out like a saw.
Speaker 1: Record and I was a huge fan.
Speaker 7: I didn't have any recollection of this, and he was like, oh yeah, yeah, Now you want to be friends with me?
Speaker 1: You were so mean on the set.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 7: And then just shy, right, or I was super shy. And also I had, you know, kind of a crush on Yeah, and these guys kept rolling up on set like trying to hit.
Speaker 2: On just around Danielle and constant which one of them?
Speaker 1: Which one of them?
Speaker 3: I was wondering if you were going to say it? I was like why he was probably a little stand off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember us guys would always be like these dudes, Oh my god. We would watch Danielle like completely ignore all of us would lose our sister, lose her, and we'd be like, god, she's so she totally changes around them. She just totally changes exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: Also had a one in five chance, and hey, let's be honest with the pick here.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on.
Speaker 7: She changed.
Speaker 3: Security knowing nothing was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Bloomer the safest guy in the bunch.
Speaker 7: So I didn't get a chance to explain that to him, But that's what was going on.
Speaker 6: The thing I remember is you and I one time Matt were hanging out. It was it must have been season seven, Like they just had the baby whenever the baby happened on the show, because at one point there was they gave us the baby the doll.
Speaker 1: I remember that and Justin I think it was Justin and Joey were there.
Speaker 6: I forget who it was, but I was just playing with a doll and putting the cigarette in its mouth and then like making it cough and like doing it. Justin just look at me, went, are you actually crazy?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: He's like, dude, just insane.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, this is what we do, this is our day work.
Speaker 3: Well, we recently watched the a very Topanga Christmas episode, which I remembered precisely zero of until we got to the scene where we kissed, and then I was like, wait, I do remember this episode.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: The fact that we kissed briefly in that episode kind of startled all of us at first, because you first see us and we just hug and I thought, oh, of course, no kiss, because they wouldn't have Topanga do that.
Speaker 4: And then like two seconds later we're kissing. Whoa, there is a kiss.
Speaker 3: So do you remember any of the any of the behind the scenes of this scene. You had already obviously kissed Candice Cameron Beret.
Speaker 4: So it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Too big of a deal for you, But do you remember anything about that episode?
Speaker 7: Yes, and the fact that, yeah, that the fact that I was going to be doing that I think was the big the big deal you know.
Speaker 1: That was uh, that was yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 7: It took up all of my thought process on that that episode because you know, I mean, yeah, I genuinely thought you were white the gale oh and so.
Speaker 1: Yeah and uh yeah, and it's funny.
Speaker 7: I don't know, I'm sorry, I'm getting like Twitty's Yeah. The one thing I do remember where you had wonderful lips.
Speaker 1: Oh, thanks, that was the one memory.
Speaker 7: I remember going like, wow, possibly the most wonderful lips I will ever wow.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Quite a compliment and also one of the best comedic lines right before when you walk in and you just got true and you're like, look, I know that I don't know you very well, but thanks for marrying me, because that's all.
Speaker 1: Great. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: There's another scene earlier where you're like, I don't really know her, and then you mentioned it again.
Speaker 4: You're like, maybe y'all get to know her, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just you're like I might get to know her. Am I not all right?
Speaker 5: Bargaing on?
Speaker 6: Guys, My god, how thick are your glasses? I just saw the past.
Speaker 7: Oh I literally I can't see the screen, Like, yeah, really strong.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, it's so funny. So I do want to know.
Speaker 3: In relationship to that episode, when was your prom? Because I was your prom date, which was such a fun evening. We posted a picture. We posted a picture of us, and everyone was like, wait a minute, did they get married? And my dress, my prom dress did very much look like a wedding dress. And I told that story. When I saw the picture, it reminded me. Remember I was telling you that story. We told it a live show about like at some point I came out and I was in a wedding dress and you said, I do quiet land your breath. It wasn't a wedding dress. It was when I first came out in my palm dress.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: I remember, That's what it was. Yeah, for sure, that was so that all then clicked. When I saw the picture, I was like, wait, that's what the memory was. So where was this a very topanga Christmas? In relationship to your prom. What year was that? So this was we were about seven. When was your prom?
Speaker 1: Ninety eight?
Speaker 4: Ninety eight, okay, ninety eight proms? So we were we were still months ag away from you.
Speaker 6: Know at that time in California, you wearing that dress and him saying, I do you're legally married?
Speaker 1: Did you not know that?
Speaker 3: Somebody tell Jenson, We've got to get someone in here to a know this.
Speaker 1: Jeez, that's crazy. Good times.
Speaker 3: We also recently recapped Last Tango in Philly, which has a very viral dance.
Speaker 4: Scene at the end.
Speaker 3: It seems to make the rounds online every few months, and everyone always pointed to you as being the skilled dancer. When we watched the episode, we were like, you're the one. You can actually come on, you're incredible. Oh that's very sweet.
Speaker 7: No, I mean I I honestly watched that thing and that was still krims worthy for me. What yeah, oh yeah, wearing guys.
Speaker 4: I don't remember what you're wearing, but I know I.
Speaker 1: Think I was like a leathers so I don't know.
Speaker 7: I literally couldn't look at it any longer.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't watch this.
Speaker 6: You're where You're the only one I can watch because the rest of us dancing, not Bill's good myself.
Speaker 1: Oh my solo moment. I was very enjoyable. Actually, it was very funny and enjoyable. I did like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a cool episode.
Speaker 7: You know, I love the I love the writing, the way that they you know, turned around men don't dance and men in a relationship and that was great though. It was a really well written episode, you know, very lighthearted, but very well grafted.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, it was.
Speaker 4: It's very cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you guys just did your first live podcast recently, and I know you're going to be going out to nineties Consume with Joe and Andy. Has it been fun reconnecting with fans in person.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Yeah, it's a whole different experience now when you open up and you do these sort of podcast type of things, it really changes the whole the dynamic and the narrative with your fans in particular. And that's been the best part about it is it it's it's sort.
Speaker 1: Of like, you know that you reconnect with the community that you almost didn't.
Speaker 7: You sort of forget that you have, you know, it's weird, and and then you realize there's this community around you know, you.
Speaker 1: Guys and you're all together.
Speaker 7: It's not like you're here and there there, it's like you all kind of grew up in this process or watching it.
Speaker 1: And it's really cool, it really is. It's nice.
Speaker 7: And you'll never get that with anybody else, you know, you can't. You can only grow up with somebody once. That's the that's the only one time thing. And so there's a connection you have with you know, these type of people that you'll never be able to have with anybody else.
Speaker 1: So it's super cool.
Speaker 4: What is the Brotherly Love live show?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: I want to know what what do you what do you guys do with your live show?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of there's a lot of singing. There's a lot of are you singing? Do you sing? But I haven't heard you sing like by yourself on stage. I think it's a huge fear. I have huge fear. I did this one.
Speaker 7: I had this one Broadway audition where it was a big it was a big auditions for they were bringing it was cry Baby, remember that Johnny Depp movie Baby bringing it to bro and it was I think Atwater and all these great people and they brought me to New York, and I had no idea.
Speaker 1: I had no idea what I was up against.
Speaker 7: Guys. I had practiced the song, I knew the words, I could sing it, but I didn't practice it with a pianist or an orchestra.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and that was part of your audition.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was the biggest bomb I've ever had on stage because the pianist.
Speaker 1: And that's fine.
Speaker 7: I should have been able to if I'd worked with the pianist. You know, they'll they'll put in the harmonies and they'll put in their own inflections and then the orchestra's going.
Speaker 1: I didn't know where I was in the song. I mean I was lost.
Speaker 7: I couldn't get through it to the point where I was like, wait, let me try again. They were like no, thank.
Speaker 1: You, No, you got the hook.
Speaker 7: And there they had brought in all these famous faces to kind of watch, like I see like David Letterman and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh no, And.
Speaker 7: The guys before me like washed it, I mean knocked it out of the park to like a roaring applause.
Speaker 1: It was happening. I would have cast him and he was phenomenal. Anyway, after that, it was the last time I sung.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were like, I'm not doing that on stage.
Speaker 7: I walked the entire island of Manhattan before I could go back to my hotel.
Speaker 1: The worst stage experience I've ever had in my life. So I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for bringing up brighter. So I've heard you sing. I know you can sing, so you should have no insecurity about it. Man. That's that's that's an extreme experience. That was extreme. That was terrible.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the there's a lot of singing. What do you guys do you guys break things apart? Do you do? You propose a topic and then the three of you guys discuss it. What's what does it look look?
Speaker 7: Well, we have like we kind of do it like like a little variety show in the sense that you have like an opening monologue and then we'll break down into shows well, answer questions. We'll bring up someone out of the audience and you know, have them, you know, be a guest for a second. Do stuff like that, you know, try to keep it the audience involved as best as possible.
Speaker 1: Actually kind of learned that from you guys. You guys had this in the Get Up the Kids and Dance tours. You guys had the costume party.
Speaker 7: I thought that was a really clever idea to get you know, you know, fan involvement. So we don't do anything like that, but we do bring up people and we talk and sometimes we'll have a guest. We had a guest on that live show for a minute as well. And yeah, kind of have like a you know, a more broadened out podcast, you know, live where we'll do some more songs if we like. On our podcast, we will break into stuff. But if we break into a song, we'll actually break into a song, and any will whip out his guitar and do stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So I think we should do that. We should steal that. We should we should break into song. The three guys do it please, I'll I'll bring out a guitar.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to play it out.
Speaker 3: I think, are the three of you looking to make stuff together? Are you making anything together.
Speaker 4: Outside of the podcast? Are you guys working on projects?
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 7: We're always working on stuff, always always writing stuff, always trying to throw stuff up against the wall.
Speaker 1: We have a couple of movies we have written.
Speaker 7: One it's closer to being made, the others just very pre just have an idea and a kind of an outline.
Speaker 1: We're working on a show. We have some other.
Speaker 7: Ideas that we're throwing up there constantly. It's it's this place has turned into just a constant workflow. There's constantly people in and out, constantly things being written or shot, and it's super cool that way.
Speaker 1: It keeps me very.
Speaker 7: Busy, which is great because yeah, I gotta stay busy otherwise.
Speaker 1: Your mind starts going yeah crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. Well.
Speaker 3: We have loved seeing you finally getting comfortable and really settling into season five with us. It has been so much fun right off the bat. We are going to need you to swing by again before.
Speaker 1: You guys anytime. I love it.
Speaker 7: It's like catching up with you guys at lunch, which we should also do.
Speaker 4: I know we should do that too. Well, Listen, we are welcome to go on your show.
Speaker 1: You're coming on.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm reaching out please, And then I'm going to have our production coordinator who is my cousin everything in directions and time.
Speaker 3: I've been there, Will and Ile carpool so perfect, that'll save a parking space.
Speaker 1: Excellent. We love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait. We can't wait to be a guest on your show. Thank you so much back here.
Speaker 1: So good to you as a guys. Be well, I love you all so much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's see each other so yeah, definitely, I love it, guys.
Speaker 4: Ohn him.
Speaker 1: He's the worst. He really is. I don't like that.
Speaker 4: It's just like.
Speaker 3: Pulling teeth to talk about anything. Man. So much fun, so so so much fun. And it's funny, like how you know the way he mentioned what was the memory he brought up that he kind of remembered the other the other side of it where we were like.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and it did.
Speaker 3: It fully helped form another picture for me of Allan Myerson. I very much remember now Matt and I having conversations where he was like, I'm the new kid here. I can't be saying to him. I can't be saying to Alan Myerson, hey man, why are you talking to us that way?
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm I'm brand new.
Speaker 1: But the irony there is that Alan was brand new. Yeah, I don't know none that I know.
Speaker 2: He didn't, and I think I think that's part of the problem is that he thought, oh, this guy is in charge and I have to listen to him.
Speaker 1: But the reality is he kind of wasn't he was new well, you know, yeah, but I didn't have a conflict with him.
Speaker 2: I know I didn't either very positive memories of it too, because along.
Speaker 1: Very well too.
Speaker 2: But in retrospect, his directing style was probably too authoritarian for most actors. Yeah, yeah, and you can tell. You can tell by the performances, the comfort level.
Speaker 6: Again, I'm going to find that clip. I'm going to find that clip that's the end of news Radio where you clearly see him coming in and directing somebody and it's like it just brought me right back to it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, please send that to us. I didn't really want to see that. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have March March Buddy March pod.
Speaker 4: Meets Worldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, Pod Dismissed.
Speaker 2: Odd Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Subasch producer, Mattie Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com