Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host Will Compton. We have an electric factory of a podcast.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Ryan Whitney joins the bus. Obviously, Me, Taylor and Ryan were all on the bus. Ryan Whitney is the co host of Spitting Chicklets NHL legend, some some say, some argue about He was on the Olympic team, won a Stanley Cup, part of a lot of different stuff, then obviously went to UH got demoted down to the miners, and then went over to Russian.
Speaker 2: He tells some awesome KHL Russian stories.
Speaker 1: But the dudes all time man fucking hilarious, Northeastern strong accent. Him and Taylor double teamy and chirped me for a while. I got a little rattled. I'm not gonna lie. First half they had me a little bit, but I bounced back. In the second half I kept, you know, I couldn't keep my composure. I think that's ultimately what happened when you get to where you yell and try and like I went into their world. You know what I'm saying, JP's instead of saying stands in like instead of being like, you know, letting it kind of roll off like.
Speaker 3: But like you said, your composures, Yeah yeah, yeah Smith to the bullshit man, but no, it is a really fun episode.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We get into a lot of good stuff. Again, Ryan's all time before we get into it. This episode is brought to you by the most dependable, durable, and reliable vehicle on the road, the Chevy Silverado. It is strong and dependable, just like the people who drive them, the lunch pail workers, those blue collar mother those blue collar boys out there. I almost cuss I saw myself. That's a nice pool. It's moderate, advanced with a ton of grit, a partner in getting things done, and especially when it comes to the heart and soul of a pickup truck.
Speaker 4: The bed.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you guys.
Speaker 1: About this, the most functional bed of any competitor out there in the world. Best in class, standard cargo volume. The inner gate folds down to a large step for easily getting in and out of the bed. Available industry first power up down tailgate.
Speaker 2: Let me reread that for you guys.
Speaker 1: Available industry first power up down tailgate. It's the first one in the industry.
Speaker 4: Boys.
Speaker 1: It's also available the multiflex tailgate that we've been telling you about with six different configurations. All this makes the bed of the Silverado work harder and smarter for those launch pale guys out there driving the Chevyes, and if you're not one, you need to become one. Chevy is also sponsoring Coach Prime. Catch it Tuesdays and Thursdays at eight pm Coach Dion Sanders. For those of you who don't know who Coach Prime is, Dion Sanders arguably the best athlete of all time.
Speaker 4: He does this.
Speaker 2: He's got a documentary.
Speaker 1: On Tuesdays and Thursdays on YouTube about him coaching Jackson State. It's actually pretty dope. I started watching the other night. I'm about to jump into episode three tonight. But again, Chevy Silverado strong, advanced, dependable and a hard working Go to your local dealership. Let him know that the boys sent you. We saw a Tier one out there. He let us know. He just bought a Chevy for the boys, and I think he got something for free. I think, uh, that's that allegedly allegedly we heard he got another truck for free, but that's just to.
Speaker 2: Hear say stuff.
Speaker 1: We don't want to quote him, but yeah, man, So getting into the episode, Ryan Whitney. Oh oh, I do have an announcement because I've been huge, you guys know, the boys huge on the whistle, pig piggyback rice mash, cocktails and it can. But I have a new number one and it is now the Uh it's a BlackBerry Lemon Fizz. The reason it went from number three to number one is I was tough on it in the beginning, the BlackBerry Fizz, the BlackBerry Lemon flit Fizz. I was tough on it because I drank it kind of straight out of the box when they first set it too it so it was a little warm, a little cool, Wasn't that good. I had them things iced out the other day at the baby shower, which that win tremendous.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: We got showered with gifts, showered with piggyback rice mash, and it was a great time. Then we went and youngs and beers at the hockey game, Me Tailor and the boys. But uh yeah, BlackBerry Lemon flip Fizz is now my number one. Uh freshener line. As I went to the two spots in tra Smid is sitting down there at the third spot. But obviously we'll be shutting. I was to pick throughout the episode. I just wanted to say that before we get into this. Now, Ryan Whitney, bust with the boys. Subscribe, leave a light live comment, everybody in the chat right now, go leave a live comment. Appreciate you'all boys, Big hugs, tiny kisses. Hey, So go ahead. What were you just saying about whistle pig rye whiskey?
Speaker 5: So my brother gave me a bottle for my birthday and I didn't you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: A ton about whiskey, but I was like, oh shit, and I love it. I love it.
Speaker 5: He gets you in the sixth year he got me this exact bottle was my birthday.
Speaker 1: They got a ten year as well in this boss Hog, which we haven't had yet.
Speaker 2: You guys, my little lecture, don't worry about that. So whistle piggy lixur. That's an NFL drink right there. Yeah. So I stay on my toes all day and this is kind of a hitter. So to try this. Tell us what the deal is with these things? How how they get started?
Speaker 5: Do you want to wait for the party, You want to do it right now? We already start to part those numbers love that. That's how you know it's going pink. Whitney was one in a million, but we can do it. Cheers right now.
Speaker 4: Wanted a billion, dude, a billion, three commas. I'll tell you what. I thought. That was like more of like a mixer drink. No, so a lot of Pavod gets to the head bro so tay in my head. I was like, oh, mixer drink to me and said that they got like a fucking house though, dude, that's what they've said.
Speaker 5: I ended up ironed a buckle. I was black thought on it and I thought it was a mixed drink. I'm like, no, dude, that's straight vodka. Now, granted it's I think it's.
Speaker 4: Thirty percent as opposed to it's thirty percent instead of forty, right, usually it's forty but because of the flavor they get. But it's not mixed. It's not like a mixed drink. It's just straight up. I was just infused exactly, Well, how did it come alive? So it came alive because we got sponsored by New Amsterdam, showed out in New Amsterdam. Vodka became the presenting sponsor of our show, which was a huge deal. Like you guys know, it's like a big listen up to this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so every episode, every episode should be welcome to, you know, busting with the Boys.
Speaker 4: Bust that's a crazy weird deal. Just now it was the boys on the Boss.
Speaker 2: I don't know, boy, we had a guy on here once I said it was busting in the Boys. And that's definitely like the road.
Speaker 4: We're not trying to go down good, you know, busting in the boys.
Speaker 5: But it should be welcome to Busting with the Boys presented by whistle Pig. So New Amsterdam was they came on and they were boom every episode presented by New Amsterdam.
Speaker 4: And then the first episode.
Speaker 5: I've told this story a bunch, but I got new listeners here, so many, they said, yeah, so many, millions, millions.
Speaker 4: Busting with the Boy We had like podcasts.
Speaker 5: Body, So they said, well, you just kind of all of you guys organically talk about your favorite vodka drinks, just so that you know we're talking about New Amsterdam. And I think I don't remember the order, but are As said vodka red Bull, or Biz said vodka soda, Grenelli said vok on the rocks, and I just said, oh, since I've been drinking. I have been drinking pink lemonade vodka. It's the best drink. I used to drink pink lemona when I was eleven years old at the movies, like a little nerd.
Speaker 4: And then I just kept going and going. All of a sudden, I could start drink.
Speaker 5: I just mixed pink lemonade with the vodka, and like, to everyone's surprise, we just started getting like tweet after tweet after tweet of I actually showed it.
Speaker 4: Out Newman's own pink Lemonade. Paul Newman's got that. I said, that's one I always mix it with.
Speaker 5: So people were sending me New Amsterdam bottles with Newman's own, on and on and on and on. We're biz kind of like the business mind of our group. He said, we got to make a drink. We got to make a drink. We have to like, let's do this. I was like, dude, nobody's gonna buy a drink pink Whitney. All people wrote, Oh, it's pink Whitney, pink Whitney. I finally, Uh, it was Halloween and we were driving with my theater my wife. Yeah, I was dressed up as a Starbucks Forarista Dude drink and all buddy. I had the fro coming out and I was like, I'm a legit, I'm I'm like a crazy you know those Starbucks Barisas are kind of weird.
Speaker 4: Usually those weird always spelled the name wrong and like maybe like one like on the neck and the wrist, you know.
Speaker 5: And I was telling my wife the whole story and the whole time, telling nobis, no, no one's gonna buy a drink with my name on it. That's foolish. And then she said, well, why don't you try to make this drink? And I was like, oh, ship, if you're saying this and business saying this, I called them up. Next thing, you know, he called barstool Erica hooked it up and this happened.
Speaker 4: So it's like, it makes no sense. It's it's it's gonna make a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: Actually it really doesn't though, because I'm an absolute joke and now there's a drink with my name on it.
Speaker 4: He speaking of joke.
Speaker 1: So I was in a and Ryan Whitney on YouTube This better hit bro was jokes.
Speaker 4: I got a little one three guys walking video.
Speaker 1: The video on YouTube is just five minutes or Ryan Whitney being a clown on the ice and it's just him getting smoked and getting in You always go at me.
Speaker 4: You can fight when we're talking outside. Earlier, I think I would say I had five career fights, yeah, and I was probably one in four. I did pound one guy. I won one. I won one fight.
Speaker 5: The rest of them, maybe a couple of them were ties, a couple of them were tough losses, but I won one.
Speaker 4: It was in the playoffs. You win, there's one time you win on the board. It's like left. But he hit Crosby and if anyone touched Crosby is like game, they could be you. I'd still have to go. I take a beat. Jesus Christ. They showed one word. He listen.
Speaker 2: I want to know what happened, Like do you tear the jersey over the guy's head or what.
Speaker 4: I ended up getting him down? Oh? This is this is this the five minute club. I've seen this YouTube. It's just me. So there's one they're going to breakaway. I just I'm in.
Speaker 5: I'm in the way left of the picture. Right, he's not even close to this. This guy, this guy's been trying to beat me up. Since two thousand b I'm not kidding it this way. I see I'm down. He has the jersey over my head. You can't see my head. This guy had been chasing me around since we were both eighteen years old. This was when we were thirty three, and he finally got me. Tim Jackman. We actually I got him on the pod one time. He always wanted to kill me, and this game he decided, I'm gonna kill this kid.
Speaker 4: Out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: You weren't even in the frame there.
Speaker 4: So I passed the puck. I was backing up, and I passed the puck.
Speaker 5: And he's chasing me, and usually you know, once I passed the puck, he's gonna turn back up Ice.
Speaker 4: This isn't good. Yeah, this isn't good. What do you say? But the boy's wrong, right, hey? And the boys.
Speaker 2: Another one he gets I need to know more about this dude, because you got them wobbly legs when you walked up.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't even remember that.
Speaker 5: All I remember is the fact that I passed the puck and most of the time the guy has come in, he's gonna turn head back up Ice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no one said he kept coming.
Speaker 5: I'm like oh fucking next thing, you know, I have my my jersey over my head and he's punching my lights out. I'm like, what the hell just happened? And then I saw the video. I saw the picture. There's one still image that's like legendary in terms of like my life being legendary.
Speaker 4: I'm not very legendary.
Speaker 2: And it's a guy with a multimillion dollar bottle name that room.
Speaker 4: It's a tough pick. It's a tough pick trade. I might trade the vodka with my name on it to not have this picture on the internet. And my right hand. So I'm in the golf. I love golf. I remember being like, oh my god, he's gonna step in my hand, and I lived in my hand. I got two boys. At some point I say, boys, yeah, this is your old man right here getting his head punched in by Tim Jack.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's a picture of me that I could probably go without too, But I don't have a bottle to give up. Just me fucking conkied on the ground. No body moped out like flippers. Then he gets the cries you crying, crying.
Speaker 4: I got knocked out, told yeah, so you didn't I had one, Hey, that's when I tore my that's it.
Speaker 2: No, no on that one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's me right there in the ball. Would you get blocked or something?
Speaker 2: Sleep dude, night night.
Speaker 4: So I had one concussion and I was younger. I think I was fifteen, and I actually woke up crying. So I'm guessing me, you didn't know, right, did you? Kind of? Yeah, I came to it. I was bawling from didn't know we threw an interception.
Speaker 2: I'm like trying to chase it down. And I was back then about four years ago. I'm all about getting the tackles on. I n t get them stats up. Yeah, yeah, you know why I have the contract.
Speaker 4: Oh guys, the hustle got through and through. So I'm chasing this thing.
Speaker 2: I'm looking the ball's coming this way, and I'm kind of like using the sideline to my advantage.
Speaker 4: I always know I'm in the meetings too, with the defense in TETs. He got a relaxed guy. I'm using the sideline.
Speaker 2: I'm like going back and this dude hits me and I like do the neck whip and then flop. I go to sleep, and all of a sudden, a big fight breaks out between the Dolphins and the Titans, and I wake up and I'm kind of like also trying to.
Speaker 4: Fight, but but you don't know what's going on. I don't know, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: And they're like, hey, Taylor, like it's fine, like just just sit down. I'm like no, I like, guys are fighting. I got to get in there. And they're like, no, you got knocked out. And I was like waiting because of you, exactly.
Speaker 4: And I'm like no, no, no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: And then I just start fucking bawling, crying. I go to sit on the bench and I'm crying, and our center Ben Jones comes up with like one of those like hand towels and the like puts it over my head like kind.
Speaker 4: Of leaving me alone.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And yeah, this is me getting up and like trying to like I'm out.
Speaker 4: Oh that was you, Yeah that was me right there.
Speaker 5: You actually were like people wouldn't know if they're watching that you had no clue what's going Oh that's scared.
Speaker 4: And then right up and then where are we going? Oh not a bit not really aware of where I was at that point, yeah, but but almost almost in your mind you think it was don't lay down don't lay down. Get up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it must be and must have been. They were getting hit and I remember like then all of a sudden, I was up.
Speaker 5: How many games did you miss after that one? I missed one.
Speaker 4: I got putting on this half a game.
Speaker 2: A little different for you is that twenty nineteen, this is the longest game in NFL history.
Speaker 4: We played. It was brutal, just over Well, wouldn't the longest game be a tie? No?
Speaker 2: Because it was there's so many This is tough. But you're gonna do the same thing to us with hockey in a second, So it's all good.
Speaker 4: I know, I don't know longest like on the clock in real life, as long as the game can go.
Speaker 2: There was a storm, there's a storm, so like there was kept being like lightning warnings or thunder and lightning warnings. I guess it's just thundered is not a dangerous thing, but the lightning is the dangerous thing. So if it's within a certain mileage of where we're playing, we all have to go inside, and like a vacuum, they have to evacuate.
Speaker 4: I assume I don't really play. I don't really clap on a golf really, if there's lightning in the air. You're back to the hat. Oh ship do you like?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 4: Thing's fla mingo, not a golfer. You put me on the course, he said, the hat bro play golf, that is. But we're our glove so it doesn't matter. You're not gonna see my had tattoos, any one of them. You wear a glove on one of them, No, not me. I wear them on both of them. How long was the delay of that game? Nine hours? What? There was a noon game. I think we got home at like nine at.
Speaker 1: Night, right, but the game wasn't nine hours right, half seven and a half hours?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jack. I mean I was there. I was monkeying, DUDEO.
Speaker 4: We had another like a chilling in the locker room when he's you know when we had to get to.
Speaker 2: Go back in that game, yeah, because I was like, oh, I'm good night.
Speaker 4: Yeah I know. So I walk out during like.
Speaker 2: The second or third like lightning warning, and some dude I'm like outside kind of looking around, and some guys.
Speaker 4: Like you fucking bitch, you're a fucking bitch. Seventy seven A fan a fan.
Speaker 1: He's like three five rows up and I look at him, I'm like, don't sit, I start crying again, dude, And the.
Speaker 6: Lady walker I got was like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 4: I was just like grabbing me, like what are we doing? Buddy? It was a tough gig, shit, man, and you're still doing it. Props to both you guys.
Speaker 2: Once a year.
Speaker 4: Holy shit.
Speaker 5: I watch NFL every Sunday and I can't believe what you guys go through. Yeah, but insane it is.
Speaker 4: In hockey.
Speaker 2: Hockey, how many games do you play? Eighty six games, eighty two two games?
Speaker 5: But it's it's just different you go play, especially your job, it's just boom boom contacts. Like you can go a whole game in hockey without getting hit, especially now with how the game has changed, it's made way less physical.
Speaker 4: I feel like football maybe is changing maybe a little less physical now.
Speaker 2: It's definitely changing, like the nineties, two thousand exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but hockey now, I mean you get a penalty for hits now in hockey that would have been nothing, which I guess in football now you see some calls you're like, wait a minute, that's rough, and.
Speaker 2: Do they get ejected from the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's some clean hits too, you get ejected when I'm watching football, and same with hockey.
Speaker 2: But do you think hockey's getting softer?
Speaker 4: I do. I think it's gotten way softer.
Speaker 2: Now do you think it's way softer or a little softer? And you're like that generation, well, every ten years there's that guy that says, I know, these fucking guys don't care that they're they're soft now, this, that, and the other.
Speaker 5: And the problem for me saying that is I wasn't, you know, a tough player like that.
Speaker 4: Wasn't my game. I was kind of more skilled, and.
Speaker 5: So for me to be like the guy, yeah, exactly, it's a little flex I could pass the puck, but I don't. I don't bus has zero skills. This is the guy who could say it's a pussy game now because he was out there fighting, He was out there going through that. Whereas if I were to be the guy like this game is so soft, people be like, dude, you weren't even hard when you played. You know, you're one in four. But in still in the fact like that, I witnessed hits that would now be like guys get suspended and then it wasn't even a penalty.
Speaker 4: I can say the game has gotten softer, and in a way, it's like it's been good for the game because all this skill is shown now and you see all these players that are.
Speaker 5: Maybe wouldn't have been in the league before that are so skillful. You could see these amazing plays and highlights. But you do miss the old like everyone stands up in the arena for goals and fights, and.
Speaker 4: There are that many fights anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fights are like my favorite thing as a fight's very incredible.
Speaker 4: I'm watching if you go to a if you go to a hockey game, and I've long said I've been to three NFL games in person, two Steelers games when I was on the Penguins, and a Patriots game. They lost like four home games in twenty years, the Patriots one of them I was at. But it's made for TV game.
Speaker 5: I feel like football is personally with all the time outs and the stoppages.
Speaker 4: Hockey's made to be seen in person. Hockeys, no question about that.
Speaker 5: No, you go to a game, you're like, holy shit. And when you go to a game and see a fight. I mean my mother in law goes and she's she's not she doesn't know any Hawks. She's like, oh my god, she's standing up cheering for fights, So I wish there was more. I also I am happy guys aren't dealing with certain concussion issues.
Speaker 4: But fight fights are legit electric in hockey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talking about fights before. I forget this story because I was wanting to say it earlier.
Speaker 4: But when you get I gotta get your work dount up. Yeah, he got like his getting dummied right now. You got that, he got we got my man gets wagon.
Speaker 1: This guy he gets like duck craped one play what because he like bag tabs ovechkin.
Speaker 4: I got, I got fined. I got fined. Were you trying to do that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I wasn't. Actually lived was going to invade Ukraine twenty years later. So I speared him.
Speaker 1: But this bugget fucking hits him in the nuts, broad drops him. Everybody rushes him and just duck rapes him.
Speaker 4: Ship Well, I I but luckily I didn't actually duck get beat up. I didn't nobody.
Speaker 5: I went to kind of get my stick between his legs to try to like hold him from getting to the net by accident, got him in the nuts, got fined. When I got the call from the disciplinary head, he said, Uh, at least you got the right guy, which I was like, oh shit, I'm like if that made the news now, I mean there was no Twitter then or anything.
Speaker 4: But they were not a fan. Yeah right there. It was totally by accident. Look, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 5: Shit, somebody's gonna dumby me right now. Star rookie Alexandro Overschkin got him right in the nuts.
Speaker 4: He was dreaming too. He's like a.
Speaker 5: Streaming fort bullet, screaming rush and swear words.
Speaker 4: But I got for that. Oh here it goes, which was like the max. Fine, but nothing happened there and I didn't.
Speaker 5: Get kicked out of the game or any lucky. Oh my boys came in. That's team game. Team game.
Speaker 4: Oh somebody's got my jersey over my head. That was my issue from the back.
Speaker 2: He put some tape like a hook or something. Look at him, dude, the tint advisor. Here's a big opposite in hockey. For instead of hockey and NFL. If you have a visor in the NFL, that's like a saucy thing, that's a really dope like swaggy thing, you have.
Speaker 4: To be a receiver.
Speaker 2: I feel like, no, no, Taylor, you were a tint advisor.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, Hey, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, no, my guy, dude, we'll try and wear like a little running back time I put a uniform on, I have so.
Speaker 4: Much you get something in the eye or do you just do it for the looks?
Speaker 2: Looks?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it it up the darky? Where's that thing at?
Speaker 4: Wow? So I've actually are you the only offensive lineman in the league. Williams, Trey Williams, Jason Peters, only the Stars, Only the Stars.
Speaker 2: There's there's a there's a handful of guys, but anyway, the hockey thing, there's a bunch of guys that well, now you have to wear visors all the time.
Speaker 4: That's a good drip right there. That one. Yeah, that's le jets.
Speaker 2: And so that's not even my darkest VI is he either, my guy?
Speaker 4: That's because it was a day game.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm all dark all the time. You got to go through like a big process to even get it. It's a really hard process to get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I would try for sinners, but sometimes you'll get fined if they they'll get you off to switch am on at halftime or something.
Speaker 4: You're yeah, why would that affect Why would they care if it's if the vice can.
Speaker 1: Cuss and they got to see your eyes a medical thing. Really, they come up on you and they can't see your eyes or nothing like that. They're trying to get like your mouth piece out or some ship.
Speaker 4: Iron to wear. So it's all good. I never did either, really never did either. Yeah, that was you were about to say, no, I was actually gonna say that. I think in the NHL. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I'm pretty sure that you can't have there's a darkness thing for the tint as well, because Ovechkin in the Olympics one year he had the straight up like Oakley sunglasses where you see reflection in the visor. But then it wasn't allowed in the NHL.
Speaker 1: Well that that video you just showed he had a like a smoked advisor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like, I don't, but that one's that's see, that's international play. That's just Russia UNI. That's the one that is not allowed in the NHL. And that's a that's an international tournament. So he's the CCM covered in red tape at the front of the helmet, so that's not allowed in NHL play.
Speaker 4: Which ironically, like, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know why, Yeah, that's weird, but I guess it makes sense in terms of like medical why they want to see their eyes for concussions, So Taylor's not crying during the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or after or any yeah between commercial I'm the same way.
Speaker 2: So why did they change the rule in the NHL to where you have to go from bucket now you have to wear advisor.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: That was just kind of like as everything gets a little softer, it was I don't necessarily like disagree with it. I love not wearing advisor. I came into the league. So when I came into the league, if you had a visor on, you were a coward. So that was just that's what it was. And so you look at like Martin Saint Louis now the coach of the Canadians, but Hall of Fame player, unbelievable. He's like five seven, maybe even five six. He came into the NHL and like Calgary Flames let him go and he had nothing on his face.
Speaker 4: And because I think he knew, like I can't do it. And so over time, like Brian Barrard was a player first overall pick, he lost his eye. There's been some issues.
Speaker 5: Where it's kind of like, all right, well, if you could still play at a high level with a visor on to protect your eyes, let's maybe.
Speaker 4: Make it a rule.
Speaker 5: But there's a few guys left to a grandfather and Ryan Getz lafts one in Anaheim. I can't think of the others. But now if you come into the NHL, you gotta wear advisor. And when I went to the HL on the way down, as I got, you know, my career ended, I had to put one on and I was like, holy shit.
Speaker 4: This is bizarre. Same thing.
Speaker 5: I went to play in Europe and Russia had to wear one. I got used to it, but I did love the fact that I didn't have one for a long time. Yeah, because you just feel like I actually remember being younger and going to NHL games, and you know, you grow up with the cage and you're like, I can't wait to have nothing on.
Speaker 4: I want to make the NHL and just throw the helmet on. There's no cage. You get a button.
Speaker 5: I remember going out for games just be like like old school, like I'm playing it feel like the man exactly. So that's that's changed, amongst many other things. But I think in the end it's probably for the better because guys still fight with him on Now.
Speaker 4: Though when I came into the league, you could you you'd square off with the guy. I never squared off. That was another thing of my five fights, they were all out of like something that happened in the game. You know, the real tough guys like Bizz, he.
Speaker 5: Would square off. That's like the panic of like, I'm in a fight. But you used to just be able to take your helmet off. Say one guy a devisor on you didn't. Let's both take them off so I don't hit your visor. Now you can't take your helmet off before a fight.
Speaker 4: No, they've changed it so like you can't square off, take the helmet off, and then go. You take the helmet off, the refs come fine and stupid rule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a ridiculous. Well, it's like the taunting role in the NFL we talked about before were on this podcast.
Speaker 4: In the NFL are a wild nightmare.
Speaker 2: You say, as much as you want, we'll get.
Speaker 1: Fined, but you want to throw the end of a game now is just fucking crazy crazy.
Speaker 4: It's like you're watching good games and then you see these calls by these fools, and it's like and gambling on the games. I'm like, oh my god, what the fuck is going on these idiots?
Speaker 5: Now, let me ask you to why can't they be full time employees.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's that is so dumb. That's where it's headed. I think the refs, Yeah, they're not. They have like they're like lawyers and the lawyers and teachers and ship. Yeah, like just make them refs like that's your job. It's other job. And there's got to be some sort of fitness that they have to They have to like meet some sort of fitness requirement. They're gonna be able to run a mile in seven minutes, eight minutes, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Would you say, ty to tell them about your I'm buying you got a ref combine. Wanted the rest to go through like a combine, Like, oh, yeah, they need to go through the whole fitnesses.
Speaker 2: Because there was a game in the playoffs Dallas. It was Dallas versus San Francisco, and Dallas ran a quarterback draw and now the play itself probably an if he called to do with that, like only a games left yet, Yeah, but they ran they put the ball down and then they went to go snap it. But the ref has to touch the ball after it's a first down, so he has to go touch the ball. He grabs the ball, backs it up, but all that time he spent running from behind the play to there was like an ungodly amount of time that they might have got one.
Speaker 4: More playoff or clocked it and.
Speaker 2: Then had another play a situation where they go averts or I don't know shit about it.
Speaker 4: The ref being a slab basically cost them that guy's games, but games. Hey, Dallas alight with the boys listening, I think.
Speaker 2: Everybody's a bust.
Speaker 4: That's how you got a lamb. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe should you are.
Speaker 4: Now And I didn't know the name going in. I'll never miss an apples now, I promise. Yeah, I really doubt that, but I appreciate it. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Starting now said you got awesome US development your US developmental school stories.
Speaker 5: Kicked out, kicked out of my billets. I got kicked out of my billets.
Speaker 4: These requis before we jump into that.
Speaker 1: This episode is also brought to you by Cross Country Mortgage. Shout Out the Boys no free shoutouts. UH does will have all the answers, sometimes does Taylor, sometimes a little less but sometimes but in a complicated world, it's hard to know who to trust. But when it comes to your mortgage, there's only one answer, and that's the Boys a Cross Country Mortgage. They have flexible loan links, a crazy amount of dedicated loan officers, and even guaranteed closing meaning they pay the daily closing fees. Cross Country Mortgage has a team of loan officers dedicated to getting you the best possible loan terms available. They've got a wide variety of loan types, which means they've got everything to cover everyone. Also some exciting news, they're giving away free Barstool and Cross Country Mortgage sweatshirts when you sign up to refi or get pre approval while supplies last. In a world where even the pros rarely agree, you can trust the boys and girls Across Country Mortgage. With an average closing time of twenty one days, they've got everything to cover everyone. Go to CCM dot com slash barstool so Cross Country Mortgage can take care of you throughout the entire buying process. Cross Country Mortgage, LLC and MLS three zero two nine. All loan subjects to underwriting approval www dot and MLS Consumer access dot org.
Speaker 4: Jack, you can get your local liquor store. Is this straight to mbinos? We went good to do this with our boys healthy. We went deer hunting. We're going after Yager sures guys where you go hunting at We're going after Yagger deer hunting. Yeah, I'm trying to take them down here.
Speaker 2: So I ever threw up on my life was jegger mm hmm.
Speaker 4: First time I ever threw up was at that National Development program. I drank a bottle of cardy senior high school. I've never had a sibs sence. I've never had a sibsence because I could not imagine what I went through after that. It's better, but yeah, it does, it's it's it's it's a nice really good people are like, oh, you bitch, you have a pink vodka. You think I give a fuck? The checks are clear and broncare what color is it? I'm like, what a fugging about? Cares pink? My face is pink when I get sun on it. But uh, I got I was lucky enough to get invited to that program, which was a big deal. It started in uh started in ninety nine.
Speaker 5: I went in one or two and you know, two thousand and I went and you know, you're playing with the best players in the country. You're living in an arbor, Michigan. If this guy's dog in the vodka right now and have.
Speaker 4: A to take a chase, No, I'm not out here. It was like, give me another one, give me another one. We're sending the fucking little shot. Dude.
Speaker 2: All right, first off, will you've said six words in twenty five minutes?
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear you come with the great I'm laughing at that. And now I'm a better listener.
Speaker 4: You think they laughing here? So oh, there's oh shot for me to tell a story. Let me tell my story. Hey, if you my god knocked out Miami man, I was like you were.
Speaker 1: If you want to be a listener, go subscribe. We'll fucking finish the podcast here. D We're all good. You got to catch up for the half of the season you missed, dude.
Speaker 4: Because that was me.
Speaker 6: Bank Bill, I was kiss my bad.
Speaker 4: You do make banks? Can you make sixteen million this year?
Speaker 5: You should be fucking boiling bank women and sixteen times?
Speaker 2: What will made this year? I think it was the nomber season.
Speaker 5: More than that, I would hope it's one hundred ships the times, aren't you signs?
Speaker 6: Like halfway through the dude, oh my god, busting the boys with you bro Boy and the Boy last Hall.
Speaker 4: I love it? What was over here?
Speaker 1: Look, you're just getting sandwiched and doing it, and so what you're thinking, like, damn, I wish you had that perspective when you're stressed throughout the entire year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. But we're not in the middle of it right now.
Speaker 4: Why do you get so stressed?
Speaker 5: I'm curious like you have, Like I think we're all curious.
Speaker 4: Like you're one of the top all linemen in league. You make all this money.
Speaker 5: Like I understand that you want to be good at your job, But do you stress throughout the season?
Speaker 4: Big time? Yeah? I stressed.
Speaker 5: No, I remember that. I remember being like always panicked. Maybe, like you use your job.
Speaker 2: Something's gonna happen. What if I give up a sack, what if I let the boys down? What if I do something that cost us the game? It's like this crazy anxiety.
Speaker 4: It's good. It makes you good.
Speaker 2: But there's there's levels to it, like if you use it as fuel, and it's like kind of I think Mike Tyson said, this is like fear is like fire if.
Speaker 4: You use it correcte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you use it correctly, you can cook food, keep yourself warm. But if you let it get out of control, it can burn down your house, can burn down everything in your life.
Speaker 4: You ever talked to a sports like colleges throughout the season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started this year and it was fucking unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Game changer.
Speaker 2: Game changer, dude.
Speaker 5: I met a guy who works with a bunch of the Bruins, and it's like people kind of laugh at it. I think, like old school people maybe laugh at that stuff. But I wish I did when I was still playing. And granted I went through a bunch of different things, like I was always warried, always nervous, always panicking, and I just wish I had somebody like.
Speaker 4: That make a difference. You may find a douce who did it.
Speaker 5: No, no, like nobody really did it. Nobody really. If they did it, they didn't talk about it.
Speaker 4: It was different. I mean, you guys know it's meant right now.
Speaker 2: It's way different it's way different right now the last three years exactly.
Speaker 5: I feel like in the last two three years things have really switched. I've been retired this September will be seven years. So it's just like it was. It wasn't the same. Like if you if you came in you're like guys I was talking a while doctor sports psych colleges, they'd be like, what about what dude?
Speaker 4: Like it was there was that.
Speaker 5: There's just people look at things a different way now, which can be good.
Speaker 4: I also think sometimes it can be bad. But as long as like you're talking to somebody, if you're that nervous about the season being as good of a player you are, it shows Imagine the guys who are really on the fringe, what they're going through.
Speaker 2: Some dude, someone get well a fucking towel, dude, no French mine.
Speaker 4: By the way, bish should be here and they can cross and we can cross and then boom there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I don't take that as a shot. I mean it's true.
Speaker 5: I mean I've seen you sign with different teams. It's gonna be hard, right, Like you're you're kind of looking for a job when camp starts, right and then just staying in shape looking to get signing throughout the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it kind of just depends on how you look at it. I would say the last few years, I did my damn this to go as long as I could by not signing in training camp so that way I could save my body grind.
Speaker 4: Last year, she almost want to miss training camp.
Speaker 1: Correct, Like the year before I got signed to the Titans ten days before the first game. The year before I got signed on to the Saints, I ended up getting hurt, getting cut, and then that's when I got picked up by the Raiders that year. This past year, I got offered at the beginning of training camp and said no, thought there would probably be more. There wasn't went throughout the year, didn't get a call, and then in November is when I got a call and I was thinking about being done.
Speaker 4: I was like, hard to keep training when you're like, I don't know what that is the hardest part.
Speaker 1: Not that it's like I don't know what's coming, but I have so much fun with this and you're kind of just like, yo, I just I feel good about the career I've had and I feel like I've gotten a carve out my transition, so if it doesn't happen more so, it's just like it's a bitch to go in and train for football every day. Yeah you know what I mean, because it's like if I do gets that, you don't want to go out there, Like I'm running down those punt and special teams feel like I'm about to tear my hammies. And that's just the training that I was doing. It's like if you slip up at all, like you can just be hurt fucking playing out there. So the worst part was like, fuck, I gotta go in and work out, put a couple hours into the gym before I do all the things with busting and all the boys.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you guys one thing.
Speaker 2: Once you know, I heard every single word No, he was like, listen into every cough.
Speaker 4: I went a couple of times they might have caught in the mic. They might not have went. Oh hate both guys right now, fucking hate. I can't wait. I'm getting interviewed. Don't hate me. Yeah, speaking to get interview, you have a question for both you guys. So that's kind of a different deal podcaster.
Speaker 1: So I can also ask, no, would you say nothing inside Joe you nothing again, nothing.
Speaker 4: Up ship, it was gonna be Clark, You're it was. It wasn't a big all right, cool either way. NFL, NFL guys, are you like any show? Any show?
Speaker 5: Players like these guys don't even have guaranteed contracts. I know you get like signing bonuses and things like that, but like.
Speaker 4: You said, you get hurt, you get cut. Will the union like ever change that or is that just kind of how football is gonna because there's so.
Speaker 2: Many guys on each roster, you'd like to think so that eventually it would be like guaranteed money. Cousins, your boy, he was one of the I think the only guy to get guaranteed money.
Speaker 4: Every dollar he signed for he's getting no matter what.
Speaker 2: I think it was, it was that in the negotiation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you signed a deal for eighty right, Uh yeah, what's guaranteed? Fifty? If it was guaranteed, so it's the and that doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: Injured, not too many clucks, not too many clucks, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Injured. Cut Now it's cool. And so when agents are doing the deals, it's it doesn't even matter the big number.
Speaker 2: It's all about Yeah, your your first number, is like what's the guarantee? What's the first and then and then it's what's the first three year money? Or like if you sent a four year contract, what's the first two year money? Like what's that?
Speaker 4: Let's get it.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, but you want that as frontloaded as possible. I got super lucky because my my agency's great. CAA is awesome. But the first three years were so frontloaded that like what I'm getting paid now after the year I had where I could be staring at like a cut or a trade. My numbers are so low that like, even if they did try to replace me, they'd have to go spend four five six million more dollars to go get me adequate to replace me.
Speaker 4: Know, so your Asian did a great job.
Speaker 2: That in an outstanding job. Nice, I gotta do better job staying healthy.
Speaker 1: But with the players saying though you, I mean, you wish that would happen, but our union is so big, there's so many players.
Speaker 2: He is also trash too, but clearly but bro say that, well, I think a lot of them stayed in the locker might have a podcast. I'll say they're fucking dumpster fire.
Speaker 4: Taylor doesn't go to any of the meetings though, so it's kind of because you know what you need, change the same thing. Here's what here's what you need out of Tailor. You need Taylor to be.
Speaker 1: Like an eighty five million dollar man, and you need these high paying guys to be fully guaranteed at a lower top ceiling number.
Speaker 4: Because you need guys to reset.
Speaker 1: Like Kirk Cousins, he was like somebody who's trying to like set an example. He wasn't like out there pioneering for it, but being on Washington with them, he's like, bro, I'm trying to He would go three year fully guaranteed deals. Now you have to get to the market to do that, which is a gamble because of injury and risk. But he gets to the market and then he gets to command what he wants because somebody off to more like in the nineties, but it wasn't fully guaranteed. So he ended up signing with the Vikings that eighty nine fully guaranteed for three years, and then when they renegotiate with him, he fully guarantees every year. You would need the guys who signed like the big, longer term deals with like a high ceiling, say one hundred million dollars and then sixty of it's guaranteed that window. You need guys to take less than that hundred healing and try to maximize that guarantee to kind of like reset, to help like set the example.
Speaker 4: But who with quarterbacks do that?
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks have to be the ones to do it and everything quarterbacks get paid more. Well, then the guys who catch the ball from the quarterbacks need to get paid more, and the guys who protect the quarterback have to get paid more, and then the guys who are rushing the quarterback have to get paid more. And it's kind of like this downhill effect of when quarterbacks set the market for everybody and then you have your own categories of different But I feel like, not knowing anything.
Speaker 5: The guys who protect the quarterback may be more important than who he's throwing it to, because like if you ain't protecting the me ain't getting it.
Speaker 1: To that guy anyways, it's being modest. Left tackles get they get out right. Quarterbacks do get the absolutely most left tackle.
Speaker 4: Like this likely thing you.
Speaker 2: See how you see how much like there's going down here. I could be the next victim of what's been happening to you. For the last thirty minutes any second. So I wanted I want to say the receivers first before I said me.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Even know, if you feel me, I'm like in my head and I'm over here hiding at each other.
Speaker 4: You know I'm playing. Then I'm like trying to catch up my head. Am I. Now we're both just trying to impress you. That's what it is, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that I think all that ship is probably won't happen because there's so many more guys in the NFL, and they are in hockey or baseball, and I think a lot of guys just care about what that big number looks like.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: They want to be the highest paid guy, and it's like.
Speaker 4: That's number one seasons Sports Center or whatever.
Speaker 2: You could give somebody an apy like sixteen, but pay him like, you know, nine in the first year, ten in the second year, and then twenty three in the next year or whatever would even and out to sixteen. But that twenty three is not guaranteed, So they make nine and ten and get cut, you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, And that twenty three you planned on you're not seeing it.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, exactly, I've seen it. But you get to be fucking cool and act like you're the highest paid dude when really it's like, are you going to see that?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying right, it's a crazy, crazy world, crazy world watching NFL salaries and how it all works.
Speaker 2: And you know, the wild thing about it all is the salary doesn't even matter because if someone's over the cap, all you have to do is go to their big name guys and say, hey, Aaron Rodgers, like, what we're gonna do is convert your entire year's salary into a signing bonus and pay you minimum, and then you just freed up and they don't care if he max. No, that's huge for you because you get the money right now. Yeah, all your money right now, and they make minimum six months later, as opposed to sitting here and then six months from now making his forty million dollars he could make thirty nine right now, and then they save thirty nine or thirty five. I don't know what the numbers in the cap are, so the cap really is not a real thing. It just depends on much cash flow. Teams having what they're willing to do.
Speaker 4: I've always.
Speaker 5: Kind of looked at like since the NHL got a salary cap with the NFL, it's like those guys who are hired as the capologist, Like what a job they have they especially with the NHL.
Speaker 4: Now, ologists is a nice term. What a term. You're such a nerd with that term, but you're so valuable. Yeah, it's like a valuable nerdlogist. I'm a capologist of the Tennessee Titans. Yeah, and I decide what Taylor L. Wong's gonna make next year.
Speaker 5: And I think like those guys though, because there's GMS in hockey, they played hockey for thirty years. Some of them they don't know shit. They need that guy to tell them. I can't give this guy that. It is confusing for players.
Speaker 2: Why do you think the money's so low in hockey? And I'm relatively speaking to football because like Crosby signed one hundred and plus million dollar contract right about six seven years ago, somebody signed someone in OVI.
Speaker 4: Signed a huge deal that he did himself too.
Speaker 2: But it was like, but like they signed these big contracts, but it's like ten years, eleven year contract, the.
Speaker 5: Biggest salary in hockey, I think, so you can only make embarrassing it's like eighteen percent of the team's salary cap, like one guy can make. There's like a max to how much you can make. But hockey, I mean it's growing, it's getting better. But what's odd to me is that in the early two thousands there was guys making ten million a year, and now the best players make ten million a year. So it's like, there really isn't that jump in terms of like you've seen in the other sports.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Granted, baseball's got one hundred and sixty two games with all these sixty thousand people at games, footballs.
Speaker 2: That own the day that we but hold on real quick with baseball, like I've never watched a baseball game that wasn't the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Fifth pitcher making thirteen million a year.
Speaker 2: But I've never watched a baseball game that wasn't the playoffs where it's packed. It's like, you know, every game it's best in the club.
Speaker 4: Fenway Regley, the.
Speaker 5: Right there, there's like a there isn't a salary cap. But if they go away, if they go over, there's some sort of there's a luxury tax or something like that.
Speaker 4: But great job.
Speaker 2: Shout out blost dude, that was fall.
Speaker 4: So I will say this, I I will say this. No, it's pink Whitney. I'm actually like immune to it. It's me my blood, selling my blood. This is the battery. You know what I'm saying, They're selling my skin tone. After a week in Fort Lauderdale. What are we talking about?
Speaker 5: Oh, baseball, No, baseball luxury, luxury numbers and basketball there's only what ten guys a team and it's so big, like they get Chinese money.
Speaker 4: But hockey it's.
Speaker 5: Getting better, but it is not the most popular sport in the world.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just how it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it is worldwide as opposed to like NFL, who's like getting into Europe and getting into multiple countries other countries. But it's not like you go anywhere in the world and you can play hockey except for maybe like South America or Africa or Africa. So two continents, assuming you know what I'm saying, there's a whole bunch of other ship and outcrabit. That's it's going wild up there.
Speaker 4: With the with the penguins.
Speaker 2: Yeah whatever, anyway, you know what.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, what is this?
Speaker 2: This is the average.
Speaker 4: And what are we like six or seven? We we're ahead of Italy's We're ahead of Italy's soccer league.
Speaker 5: That's not bad. I mean we're head of Germany soccer league. It's hockey. Yeah, it's hard. It's hard to describe. I mean it's not It's not the most popular sport in the world. I think part of it is hockey is very expensive game to play, very expensive when you're younger. You need to quitment, you need ice time. The ice time now in Boston, you know, granted changes across the country. You mentioned your dad's from a Dina place like that. They have like ten outdoor rinks. It's awesome. Boston. Now it's like four and dollars for an hour ivice and then you got to buy all this gear and then you got to pay a couple of grand to play on the team. Not everyone can do it, you know, and you get these amazing athletes in the NFL and the NBA.
Speaker 4: You grab a ball, you go out and play.
Speaker 5: And so I think, like how difficult it is to get into the sport kind of translates to layter on in terms of.
Speaker 4: Like how big the sport is now. I do think that Anshaw getting with the ESPN. They're back with the ESPN this year is good.
Speaker 5: They paid a lot more money than prior, like NBC Sports Adam and things like that, so that could be good, but.
Speaker 4: There's a way to go.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's some of some of these rule changes that I am making a little more soft?
Speaker 4: I think I think it does. I think it does hurt a little bit. Yeah, I think it. I think people love fights.
Speaker 5: We said it earlier and if you go to games, people love fights. But like you guys have learned with doing this job as the podcast and being athletes, like Twitter speaks for a lot of people, even though it's not like the actual world you're living in, you know what I mean, Like Twitter's and so it's a vocal minority that drives me insane and like, unfortunately for my life, I have to be on it like it's part of my job, but it drives me crazy because in hockey sense, Twitter's the worst thing that ever happened on hockey. Twitter has all these reporters and all these fans who like, every time there's a concussion they're going not and every time there's a fight. That's so unhealthy the guy's gonna have a concussion and he's gonna deal with CTE and it's like, all right, well, everyone watching the game was on their feet going nuts for it.
Speaker 4: Everyone's talking about it. The guy who's who fought were willing to do it. But we got you on Twitter saying how bad this is for the game and for some in in some instances, the league really responds to like different tweets and different action on Twitter where it's like it's kind of bad for the game.
Speaker 2: In a sense, it seems kind of weird to me that like hockey and from the media standpoint that like hockey players, I know a couple of players and the Predators are have great personalities, great dudes, but you watch some of their interviews and they look like fucking they have a stick up their ass. Another thing, and that's another that's the thing that like they kind of tell you to do right. You've got to be vanilla, you gotta be because in a weird way, this is a gentleman's sport.
Speaker 5: It's a big time it's like, not taking away from any other sport, but hockey it's like.
Speaker 4: It's a team thing. It's all about a team. There's no iron team, all the cliches. Where there's a me, there's a me. And that's kind of what I've learned later on. I'm like, oh shit, I should have been talking way more. I could have vogg go when I was playing.
Speaker 2: You probably would have been traded ten more times. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You traded seventeen times. I would have been twenty seven total.
Speaker 5: But I think that players in hockey for a long time have been just keep your mouth shot, give the old cliche answers, and don't ruffle any feathers, don't give the other team bulletin board material. And then you see these other sports and you see NFL players and NBA guys who are willing to go out on a limb and get themselves to be the center of attention. It sounds bad, but it's not, and it grows the game. It's like personalities, and hockey's doing better on that. Like guys who are getting the instagrams, guys are wearing different outfits. They've some teams have started getting rid of the the dress code you need to go to the game.
Speaker 2: Stuff that like what the dress code usually likes. I hate I hate getting you off time yeah, and shoes too. You can kind of wear jays if you want to wear Joah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now probably, but like before, like you were playing, No, not really. I mean in a way, it's like the more individuals that grow their brands, the better the whole sport does. And hockeys just lagging so far behind on that, lagging behind because guys don't want to be the guy on the team that the guys like, what the fuck, man.
Speaker 4: It's about the team.
Speaker 5: Why why are you bringing attention to yourself where I personally think other sports guys don't care.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't care.
Speaker 2: Well why, yeah, it does? You ahead, will you take this?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say it does a little bit like that is true in a sense, but also like you get, there's a lot of like team guys and not even that, but the coaches preach it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Ye, Like, I know, you know, Rape's kind of big on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't do stuff in the Pats, which is kind of like nobody say where are the Pats of the South? For sure, Yeah, you guys are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit like that for sure.
Speaker 1: Raye would always bust my balls like I would do, like tweets and stuff like that, like, oh, you make it about you, make it about you, And I was like, oh, all I did was say they was the best third string uh team, or that you've then Tennessee's ever signed.
Speaker 4: But making it about me as hell, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But He's just like, you know, don't do stuff that I hurt the team or don't make it about you, like it's team, team, team.
Speaker 2: He's right, because when I get in the season, I won't do the podcast and I all like Twitter, Yeah, it's it's it's more of an insecurity than anything else. Is you don't want to walk into the locker room after a loss or you don't have a bad game and the boys are looking at you like you just fucking care what this podcast which is.
Speaker 4: I know my argument would be like and it's the way you're saying it, and it's way easier being retired.
Speaker 5: And looking back. But it's like, all right, Rabes, I love how I'm calling Mike Vrabel Rabes. Yeah, everybody, I when I'm done.
Speaker 4: I got I gotta make money.
Speaker 5: And this is like leading me into the end of my career and like, yeah, right now, Like if you don't believe I'm all in for this team, that's one thing. But if I can do that and also set myself up for when I'm done, man, I need to find someone I'm finished. So it's like to build your own brand in hockey and probably some parts of football seems selfish, but it's in a way like everyone's career comes to an end. It's not easy for anyone, and then you need to for most guys make money, and even if you have enough money, you need to do something. So it's like that can kind of create stuff for you in the future where if you're just quiet and yourself at the end, you're like, shit, why didn't I do that stuff I wanted to do, because right now I might have something else.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: The one thing I always lean on is like, when we do this stuff is the logo. We played for the logo, right, But when we're done playing for the logo or the logo, cut trade you. They're not gonna make sure you're set up for the next thing. So when you're trying to build it while you're a player shaking the hands, when you're better looking, your jokes are funnier. All this shit and building your platform, then you have something to transition into because that team's not going to take care of you when it's over and they're done with you.
Speaker 5: I remember, So I got traded from Pittsburgh to Anaheim. We went to the Cup finals in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: We lost.
Speaker 5: I got traded at the deadline the next year, and then they went on to win the Cup.
Speaker 4: So that was tough. But I was. I was. I was with my dad.
Speaker 2: That is fucking tough.
Speaker 4: Dude, dude, holy shit, Me and another guy that were on the team the year before. And then they went to game seven.
Speaker 5: We lost to Detroit in the Cup finals, and they played Detroit again. They beat Detroit in game seven. So we're watching Game seven. I was texting this kid in Pittsburgh won and I was actually really happy for my buddies. I really was, but it's was crushing and like we got so fucked up that night. It was like what else are you gonna do? But I don't even know how I just thought of that, But I ended up getting traded. Oh, because I got trade to Edmonton. I'm sorry Anaheim, and I was sitting with my dad one time. Anaheim was good, Edmonton tough city, but I was, I was really struggling. I had some injuries, and I was just I wasn't the same player I was when I signed my like one big contract, and I remember saying to my dad, I was like, I wish I could, like I almost like want to give some of this money back. I fucking I'm so bad. I don't deserve this. And he was like what I was like, like one of those like fathers. What where I'm like, He's like, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 4: Do you think these fucking people would give you more money if you were playing better?
Speaker 5: You think they give a fuck about you when you're done? And and it was like, oh my god, Like I had never.
Speaker 4: Thought of that. Like it was like I felt so bad.
Speaker 5: For not doing my job and not living up to my contract and things like that, and it's like they don't give a fuck about you if you're overperforming that contract. And it's really hard to kind of come to terms with that when you're playing, because you're all about the team and you want to make the the GM proud of that signed you, and you want to make your parents proud, and you're agent proud. It's like, in the end, man, when you're done, nobody knows a fuck about you.
Speaker 1: You have read up cards is your commodity and I and I hate like telling that to guys.
Speaker 5: And I'll like, we interview guys and you know, you have beers to them after you run into them, and you don't want to be the guy that's like, hey, man, like at the end, man, it's gonna be tough, but you also want to tell them, like, just get every single dollar you can right now and don't feel bad about any part of it.
Speaker 4: So I don't really know how I got into that.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just you need be a spokesman for d from me. You need to be a spokes before it because you can like we need to make hats and make hockey cool again.
Speaker 4: Like you guys, it's a cool sport. You got to go to a.
Speaker 2: Person sport, Dude. It's literally I think I've said this on the podcast before. If not, I've said it in the real world, but it's my favorite sport to watch over football.
Speaker 4: But you were at the You were one of the guys, right, Yeah, you guys trigger out out of the fish and yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was the guy choking out of the fish. I was gonna say, hey, he just used yeah, you guys that play that all smoke.
Speaker 4: You're like one of the guys, are in the corner. You're at the game, busting in the boys tomorrow, busting over at the Whitney party, chass and then going to the game.
Speaker 2: Where are you staying at?
Speaker 4: Were you Joseph? A great hotel?
Speaker 2: Hotel solid, that's so we stay before games with the Joseph.
Speaker 4: They make you, guys.
Speaker 5: That's like Russia. They call it the Basa. So you got to go to a hotel the night before your game. Yeah, it's brutal, but they make you do that in the NFL. Make you do the NFL because they do like a bed check at ten thirty, Oh my gous. They know you guys are lunatics. You guys would be out in a boat ripping it up.
Speaker 4: No doubt. I think it's because it's like you're getting a knock on your door no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every night at ten thirty, and they in like duze.
Speaker 1: Some dudes will finagle it. They'll they'll pay the guy who checks the door. And yeah, yeah, you know, corrupt world in there.
Speaker 2: But speaking of Russia, speaking of Russia, since it's a hot topic right.
Speaker 4: Now, Yeah, I was your time in Russia interesting to see what was it? Did you see this coming? What's going on in the world right now?
Speaker 5: I was there in twenty fourteen when they went into Crimea. I played with the guy who played in Dunbas, Ukraine. They had a great KHL team and the.
Speaker 4: Rink was blown up and like, and I'm just stand for Continental Hockey League, which I don't really know what that has to do with Russia to see.
Speaker 2: Okay to the k alleged, Oh.
Speaker 4: They don't get so in Russia. When you're the captain, you don't have a sea.
Speaker 5: On your sure you're a k That kind of goes hard to make. So it is pretty it's a pretty good drip. I'm not gonna lie I fucking hate Russia, but I'm mean you're using the word it's yeah, Well I don't have a tint advisor to wear it, which is different. So Russia was great. I was in Soci, which they called the San Diego of Russia, which always cracked me up what they say, because it doesn't really snow there. They had the Olympics there in twenty fourteen. I lived in uh the old like athletes Village, which was a ghost town. It was so bizarre. It's like one of you hear about like the Olympics. Now they go to cities and then when they leave there's just nothing. It was like this Olympic village that was just done ghost towns. They put us up there. See it is pretty nice looking.
Speaker 2: And uh, the San Diego of Russia. And so I was on a billboard there when I was there.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, it's definitely on a billboard and backwards letter. I don't even know they're they're they're alphabets different, but I remember sweet a driver.
Speaker 4: So all the imports hang out.
Speaker 5: Every team in the KHL was allowed five imports, so just non Russians. There was a Canadian, a finn, a Swede, a US guy myself, and there was just say the sex made a check goalie and it sounds like the joke was.
Speaker 4: Going to tell it was a crazy. Yeah, that was a joke.
Speaker 1: So we fucking get will so heartbeat Gilling boys.
Speaker 4: Driver because you can't drive over there. And I joined they I actually did what you did.
Speaker 5: I kind of I He's like, I'm not going to the KSHL until after training camp. Training camp, you leave July first to the KHL. So Midsummer. All the guys in the NHL, I'm not. I'm not going until after camp. So I actually didn't sign till middle of October. And I get over there and there's a driver. There's a driver for all the imports. You can't drive over there. And why can't you drive over there because it's Russia, like they'll fucking take you.
Speaker 4: And it's just you.
Speaker 5: Know, there's no chance an import can drive over there. Every team has a driver for the imports. And so this guy's driving. This guy's driving us to the second day, and all of a sudden, the cops are behind this. I'm like, oh fucked, and the cops we get pulled over. The guy pulls over Vadim. I'll never forget. I have a picture. I'm in the hawked up with Vadim. He's my boy. Haven't spoken to him since I left.
Speaker 4: So the cap walks up to the window and he puts down the window like this far and Vadim just takes a bunch of cash, bunch of rubles and just hands it out the window and like marbles the cash and hands it to the cop and he says, by blah blah blah. It leaves get the fuck out of here, dude.
Speaker 5: And the best part about that story was when I had been on the Penguins eight years before that, if getting Malcolm Superstar Hall of Fame, one of the best players of all time.
Speaker 4: He came over.
Speaker 5: It was his rookie years living a surge gone Shar Gonshar was a great defenseman, unbelievable player, and he was a Russian as well. So Malcolm lived with him his rookie year and he didn't have a license and he got pulled over driving a car a Porsche, had no business driving, and he doesn't know he's from Russia. Magneta Gorsk and the coup pulled him over and he's put on the window.
Speaker 4: You hain't a bunch of money And the cops like, what of the.
Speaker 6: F Russia bro and the Pittsburgh pliast and went down there.
Speaker 4: They don't know. It's just a different life. But I'll say this as miserable as I was.
Speaker 5: My favorite memory of that of my time in Russia too is uh it was when I'm a Pats fan being from Boston area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a real tough run.
Speaker 5: I uh I I had sling, I had a sling box just departed.
Speaker 4: I mean, we got to go somewhere. I got here, we were going. We're winners, so yeah, we take it. I'm on the Pats of the South though, uh so, so I see my sling box.
Speaker 5: I recorded the Pats Seattle Super Bowl, and I and I because I knew so I didn't I shut off the game. It would have been like three in the morning. I went to practice. I had my phone off, and I knew nobody at the game would have like Russians don't know football, I don't know, so nobody said a word. I went home and I watched the game twelve hours later, had no clue and got to like see the Butler interception like it was live to me. But the reason I just thought of that because I hated being in Russia. It was miserable, you know, it was just tough. It was this you can't talk to anyone. And and now I look back on it, and as miserable as I was, I'm like so happy I did it because it was you know, it was an experience and I got to go through some stuff that probably I didn't love at the time, and in the end, I'm like, oh my god, I'm really happy I did it.
Speaker 4: And I went over there and I had a couple buddies.
Speaker 5: Who'd been there and left, and they'd be like, there's no chance you're gonna last.
Speaker 4: You're so bougie, you bitch, You're not gonna make it a week.
Speaker 5: And I was like, I'm not fucking leaving this place, and like we had double sessions some days and I got it out.
Speaker 4: So that's what I'm proud about.
Speaker 2: When you when you go out in town, they're like, do you have to have like a someone walk you or escort you around?
Speaker 4: It wasn't like going out like there. It was weird San Diego.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when they say San Diego or Russia, they might as well say, like, uh, Sacramento of Russia.
Speaker 4: It's terrible. That's right. It's a Sacramento and you were born as Sacramento. Sorry to hear that. Were you scared to go out all the time? And rush? We didn't really go out, Honest to god, we did not go out.
Speaker 1: But when you found yourself out, were you kind of like, yo, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I never we would.
Speaker 5: The imports would have drinks in the in our dorm and just hang out. And one guy at his wife there and we were kind of like our own family within the team.
Speaker 4: One of your well, actually, what's up. I FaceTime my girl and got a going on that. I mean, you get down.
Speaker 5: They might have blocked it in Russia at that point, but I didn't go out. I didn't do anything. And they they had curfews too. It's like the basa, That's what I'm saying. There was like there wasn't a chance to go out before games on the road. You couldn't do anything. I had a buddy who played in Moscow who loved it. I just didn't have the same experience. Yeah, Biz came on.
Speaker 1: I was talking about AK forty seven's bags of money being left at the locker, Like, did you have any experiences with the.
Speaker 5: I had a guy, Uh, we had this kid, what was his name, michel Anissen, and we played in a game one time, and all of a sudden, like after the game, I look over and he had like a buddy come in the room, and all of a sudden, he's got a handgun. He's waving around his buddy bottom my handgun. I'm like, what the fuck. He's like brand new, brand new. I was like, holy shit. But in terms of the cash they would get direct to pause it. I had like an Italian bank within Russia. It was kind of weird. I remember, actually I told my my wife. Now she wasn't at the time. I got home and had all this money in this Russian Italian bank account, and I know clue how to get at home. I'm like, how the fuck am I gonna get this money home? Like, there's Italian, there's Russian. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm so bad on the computer. Anyways, I said, if you can get this money back to me, I'll get you any bag you want. Like that night it was in.
Speaker 4: My Bank of America account. I'm like, okay, we're going shopping tomorrows. Shit. I had no clue how to get home.
Speaker 5: I actually heard a great story before the CAGEL was formed. It was called the Russian Super League, when it was really no rules, completely off the wall. There was a goalie who had like four hundred grand they'd pay American cash over there too. Back then, he had four hundred thousand dollars American cash, and he had no clue how to get it home without dealing with the taxes.
Speaker 4: He's looking to just get this money home? What do I do?
Speaker 5: So he cut his pads, He cut into the pads and he put all the cash into each pad, two hundred grand in each pad, and he sewed it back up, and then he checked his equipment going so on the flight home, he has no idea, like he's like, when I get back there, like if this equipments there, like the money night Penn.
Speaker 4: And he got home, he got back, the equipment.
Speaker 5: Came, you know, across the whatever it called, and he looked and he's like, oh my god, it's back, and he got all.
Speaker 4: The money home that way. It's yeah, it's a panic. That was when it was like old school allego stuff.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's sucking hardcore.
Speaker 4: That's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us about the Russian gas and the vitamins?
Speaker 5: The Russian gas is nuts. I played a game gas, so Russian gases. I remember here in business before before the game was Regret station.
Speaker 1: I love that he said. He said, my man was on some vitamins one time. I was like, do we know what kind of vitamins they were? He's like, oh, you'll have to ask what. No, So here we are.
Speaker 2: So I was playing and see, let's do this and now I have.
Speaker 4: The shoke, so listen to my shoke. So the guy guy.
Speaker 5: That one just keeps living and I love it, dude, So I don't forget stuff. So the guys that I was playing with, the Russian guys before the game, like after warm ups, I'm talking like ten minutes for a puck drop, they'd go in and all of them would be on an IV and I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: What is that? And the guys that you try, you try, you try, you try, you feel strong, you feel strong. I was like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: And finally we played the game Dynamo Moscow. There's like CSK Moscow, there's Dynamo Moscow, the two big teams there, and the team was good and I was like, all right, fuck this like this is my probably my last year playing hockey. And I went in and after warms, I got this IV and I got on the ice.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, I am flying. I'm talking, I'm talking. I'm like I'm gonna play in the NHL again. And I was like this isn't over, this isn't over. I'm calling my agent. I'm like, call all these teams. I'm back.
Speaker 5: Our season ends in March. Bring me in for the playoffs. I feel them as I'm high stepping out there. A couple assists, and then the game ended. The next day we had practice and I was like, wait.
Speaker 4: A minute, I suck again. What the hell was that? And it was I don't know what was in it?
Speaker 5: And some teams actually had like you put the gas mask on and.
Speaker 4: You're like, I don't know what you were inhaling.
Speaker 5: And some teams had the ivs, but it was one hundred percent something because I was buzzing out there.
Speaker 4: You and ale I didn't.
Speaker 5: I did the IV. I never did the gas. I never did the Russian gas. But my gas was an IV. I considered it all the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's basically performance enhancing something from Russian.
Speaker 1: Right time to take a quick break from the episode and shout out Paint your Life. If you want to give a truly meaningful gift, you've got to try Paint Yourlife dot com. Get a professional hand painted portrait created from any photo at a truly affordable price, or combined photos of people or places you love into one painting. Choose from a team of world class artists and work with them until every detail is perfect. It's fast and convenient. You can receive your portrait in as little as two weeks. It's a great gift idea. Boys, it's a great opportunity to buy your mom or dad a gift before Mother's their Father's Day, and heck, maybe even saying Patty's Day coming up, bro. But send any picture yourself, your children, family, a special place, someone you love who isn't around anymore, a cherished pet, even an action shot of you or your children playing your favorite sport. Meaningful personal and can be chaerish forever. At paintolife dot com, there's absolutely no risk If you don't love the final painting. Your money is refunded and that's guaranteed by the Boys for the Boys. And right now, as a limited time offer, get twenty percent off your painting. That's right, that's what I just said. Twenty percent off and free shipping. To get this special offer, text the word boys, Boys to sixty four thousand. That's Boys to sixty four thousand, Text again the third time, Boys to sixty four thousand. Paint your life. Celebrate the moments that matter most. Message in data race may apply it terms of play available at Paintourlife dot com, slash terms again text boys to sixty four thousand.
Speaker 4: So yeah it was great though, something from Russia.
Speaker 2: So let's quit in Tarantino, this dudelet's fucking jump all the way back to you getting kicked out of your billet family house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, it doesn't even don't don't do it.
Speaker 2: Hey, if it's stupid, make it a little more for.
Speaker 4: The ashy I I I my actually.
Speaker 2: Uh dressed that dressed at the friend of.
Speaker 4: Mine Brian Foley. His older brother Pat was a really really good player.
Speaker 5: He's now a Boston cop. So he went out to this national program a couple years for me. He got this great great No, no, he's a jit. He's actually like listening to the fucking microphone when he's not working, looking to hop into scenes that they might just help.
Speaker 4: An animal super coff ye, super cough.
Speaker 5: This whole family they are all super car from Super Chipper exactly one of them secret service there animals. So I went to this bill family, who was great, Like, this kid's like great, my parents want me.
Speaker 2: To THEI as a sixteen and when do you guys usually go into billet families fifteen sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 5: I think I was turning seventeen that season. My parents didn't want me to go. They want me to stay at the high school. I was at graduate and I was like, oh, it's whatever.
Speaker 2: I had to do it now, and I hate, I hate fucking doing this again. But like when you play hockey, unless you're like in Minnesota, you kind of have to play like travel hockey, right, You can't Massa kids just play high school hoy.
Speaker 5: Massachusetts used to be like Minnesota. They were the only two that you could play high school hockey.
Speaker 2: And get a scholarship or get in the NHL.
Speaker 5: And it's changed where Massachusetts now, if you're that good, you kind of have to go. Yeah, and even Minnesota like you kind of it's high school hockey's great, but it's also it's so watered down, like the whole country in terms of hockey. But to get the chance to go to play for USA National Development Program was huge. So I go out and it's all about, like my parents like we gotta get good billets. We got to get good billets, and all right, well we met this great people that Pat Folly.
Speaker 4: Had been with the Shays.
Speaker 5: I go out there and like he's a really nice, beautiful house in ann Arbor, and like I got in trouble.
Speaker 2: The USHL team. Is that the Junior USA team? Now they're in Plymouth, Michigan. They were in ann Arbor, Yeah, and uh I went to a game.
Speaker 5: I went to a game yeah actuallymouth Yeah yeah, in Plymouth, Michigan. You dummy figure it out.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: Basically though, I I my parents sent me out there and they got me this old uh Ford X four like for a car out there. We drove it out there. I got the car and I crashed it. I crashed it into my buddies basketball hoop at his billet family's house. So I was like, all right, well, I'm just gonna say that this car got hit at.
Speaker 4: The movie theater because I'm not going to admit that I did anything. You know, when you're young and and sure should.
Speaker 5: I got caught in the lie because my dad's like, all right, well, let's call the movie theater. I'm sure they have cameras outside. Because he knew I was lying, I'm like, ah, fucked. So I admitted to him that I crashed it into a you know, a basketball hoop. He's like, go tell your family I'm like, it's not even their car. Well, I don't have to tell them. He's like, go tell them, Go tell them. So I went and told them. They acted all disappointed, like so upset. It's like, tell even you're a fucking car. My dad made me tell you, why do you even care?
Speaker 4: Whatever? So they were kind of on edge. The little fucking sixteen seventeen to you, yes, like what do you care?
Speaker 5: So whatever, they're on edge. And then we had a book report. We had a book report to do Fahrenheit four fifty one. If any of you guys have read that book. I was supposed to read it and I didn't, And so I called my billet mom was right before Thanksgiving. I said, hey, missus shay uh, I just talked to my teacher and I read the book Faraonheit four fifty one.
Speaker 4: I don't really get it.
Speaker 5: And she told me if I rent the movie, it'll really help me understand it for this book report I have to do. She's like, oh, okay, can you go rempt me? I said, can you go rent me the movie because I could go to practice. She's like yeah, sure. Well, meanwhile, this lunatic she called the teacher She's like, did you ask.
Speaker 4: Ryan, my n not even my son, my billet son.
Speaker 5: Did you tell Ryan to read watched the movie because he didn't get the book. And she's like, no, what are you talking about. So we go on the road. We go to Green Bay. We were playing in Green Bay, right across from Lambeau Stadium. And Thanksgiving morning, I wake up. I got a call from the coach, Mike Eves, and he said come down to my room. And I was like what, and he's like, all your stuff's packed up at the office.
Speaker 4: You're kicked out of your Billets family house.
Speaker 5: Apparently me lying about like not reading this book and he need see the movie was like their final straw to like get me kicked out of house.
Speaker 4: So they booted me out. This shit packed all my shit up. They had my toothpaste, with my sweatshirts, they had like my shoes with like different old hockey year and I was done. I had to sleep one night.
Speaker 5: I was in my car at Pioneer High School in Arbor and then like the assistant coach took me in.
Speaker 4: But in the end it ended up working out great.
Speaker 5: I met these amazing people, Dave and Dotty Lineball, They were about seventy years old, nicest people in the world.
Speaker 4: They took me in.
Speaker 5: They used to make me like sandwiches and shit at night. They were great, So it's great. I ended up leaving the Shadas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, seventy years old. Oh didn't give you that sh I did shase son. I used to send them like emails and stuff that your parents sock. I was like all over them. But it was funny because my good friend had a great experience with them. But they did not like me.
Speaker 2: They didn't like a pioneer high school. Is that where you went to high school? That's my brother went to No shit, Yeah, it's right across the street from uh.
Speaker 4: Brother was a good hockey play, really good hockey player, and my dad kid they played at Corpus Christie. Yeah. Oh so he was living in an arbor.
Speaker 2: He was living in an arbor when I went up to Michigan. He was like sixteen, and so my dad and him went up to ann arbor to be around better hockey and they could see you and they could see me. That wasn't by my choice, but that's what they wanted to do. And they lived like in the houses like right across the street from Pioneer. Yeah, so a cruiser over there, catch a free meal. And my brother was I was a solid hockey player, he was more of a grinder than he was like skilled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I remember going to Pigh High and like, you know, they so I came from a private school in massachusettt Fay Academy, shout out to Tigers, and there was like ninety five kids in my grade and I went to Pioneer High and there was like nine hundred. Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 5: Thirty six hundred kids, Like you know, thirty eight hundred kids in the school.
Speaker 4: So it was eye opening for me.
Speaker 5: But I remember, like, naturally, you got kids from all over the country coming the best seventeen eighteen year old hockey players in the country, and the girls in high school are kind of like, all right, we're into these guys. So these dudes who grew up with these girls their whole life, they're like fuck you now. Granted, now, the girls like me, I was a complete nerd with big ears, but all these other kids were like trying to fight guys on my team because all of a sudden, the girls they knew their whole life, were going to them. It was a great show I got to witness. But Pioneer High it was like you had to go and then here On High School is also in an haarbur Guys had to go through like metal metal detectors to get into that school. I'm like, what am I exactly now? Since they're they ended up leaving here On guys could only go to Pioneer before they went to Plymouth. But that's my NDDP story.
Speaker 2: So as you get drafted right out of high school.
Speaker 4: No, I played one year. It changed.
Speaker 5: It used to be, uh, if you went to college, the draft would get delayed year. Yah, So I get drafted as my freshman year of college. Now it's the same for everyone. So you do get drafted after she would you go to college? Be you Boston University? Yeah, it's kind of where I dreamed of going when I was growing ups.
Speaker 2: Why don't you offer for Michigan?
Speaker 4: I could have gone anywhere I could have got.
Speaker 5: I wanted to go back home, Okay, guy, I know right Ill, Yeah, I know, stut, I could have gone anywhere five Star. I actually, looking back, I would have liked to go I love BU had great experiences, but I would have liked to go to a school that b U's campus is just downtown Boston. There's no football team like I would have probably if I could do it again, maybe experience, uh, you know, the entire college experience.
Speaker 4: I didn't really get that. It's a little different. Yeah, Michigan was awesome. Dude, the hockey boys there, That's one thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know what your experience was like, but whenever I've been around hockey people, especially in college, it just seems like the closest knit group of dudes. Yeah, everyone fucks around with each other, hangs out. There was a I don't even know if this is like even appropriate for this podcast, but there was a spring semester the hockey boys decided that they're not sleeping with a girl by themselves, like they had have one of their boys with.
Speaker 4: Them, like a fucking I'm gonna start like twitching. I know that. Shit. The times have changed. But yeah, there was a lot of good times with hockey teams.
Speaker 2: There's guys too, and oh I.
Speaker 4: Never did that. I never did that regularly singular sex. There was no gross yeah, zero group sex in the experience I had at college.
Speaker 1: Hey, we saw that. We looked up the Russian Gas. Now did they not have Do they not have tot all in the NHL? Oh, they have to all in the NHL.
Speaker 4: This was funny. We were just in Vegas for the Chickles Cup.
Speaker 5: We started a street hockey tournament that we were doing next ones in Buffalo July twenty second weekend. If you're into street hockey, checking out their birthday and oh shout out Taylor and I actually in Vegas because we were going at it every day, right, So every morning I would have this ivy doctor come to my room and I would get total every single day.
Speaker 4: It's the greatest drug in the world. Do you fe ship down?
Speaker 5: Tortle gives all pain is gone. What I had was making me fast and strong and like with it. Tortle just like shuts down pain. I was buzzing. That was not tortal.
Speaker 4: I was on. I've taken tortle. Every guy in the Stanley Cup playoffs from the third game of the first round on is taking tourtle.
Speaker 2: Oh bro, I take turtle literally for practice.
Speaker 1: No, ship really only on Wednesdays sometimes, really, I promise I.
Speaker 5: Take it for practice only on Wednesdays sometimes, So you have doctors that will give it to you for practice because you can't change it where it's like it's not easy to.
Speaker 2: It depends, like you know you you row belbos.
Speaker 4: Are you on it for every game?
Speaker 2: I am, But towards the end the season, I got off of it a little bit because it makes me like too relaxed.
Speaker 4: Really, you can play without tortle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started taking that clothing ac instead something else. Yeah, but that clothing as like not like a tourtolet and people your organs are gonna shut down like kind of ship.
Speaker 1: That's why I said rarely, like it wasn't something I did, like if I'm like actually going through like something.
Speaker 2: There was a couple of times, a couple of times during camp, like just for regular practice because like my knee was hurting or something, right, I would go into the.
Speaker 4: Tour it all. So who was that that the mephiss in Jersey we were selling. I think I'm gonna need that. I need that rocking that right now. Oh dude, I would wear the fuck out of that. Yeah, that's one of our probably wait till.
Speaker 2: This whole w W three things over, I'm probably not gonna rep that they.
Speaker 4: Make our jerseys Mensley Hockey. They make great mensig sweaters. They make great jersey. We have a bunch of different styles, different jokes we've had on the pod. We have all these.
Speaker 5: Different jerseys, and that's a good one. I've actually like, haven't seen that in a while. I might start rocking that, although actually not right now.
Speaker 4: They're in Ukraine. Have you seen the movie Goon?
Speaker 2: Yes, Doug the Thug, glad dude, would that's a jersey I.
Speaker 4: Would wear all day every day. Good one. There's Goon too.
Speaker 2: I think if the one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Goon the original is the most inspirational sports movie movie I've ever.
Speaker 4: Seen in my life.
Speaker 2: You think, oh, dude, better than Remember the Titans or Friday Night like all that miracle.
Speaker 4: No, dude, Goon you dying on this incredible? No, I love it. I know you love it. But the best inspirational sports movie all.
Speaker 2: When when uh never in Duarts Glatt and Ross the Boss Ray are sitting in the box and he goes, he takes his stick and he goes, you're ready, kid, and Douglas Doug goes, yes, thanks for asking, and they square up in the center ice that fight scene.
Speaker 4: It's nothing you would ever be a part of No Never I.
Speaker 5: I played with George la Rock, who is one of the toughest guys. Yeah, black dude, right, lefty killer. Yeah, and he there's a clip of him like before he scares off with somebody you know at the face off there like you want to go, Yeah, let's go, and then Georgie says.
Speaker 4: Good luck man.
Speaker 5: Like it's like that's different now, like that doesn't really happen where it used to just be, yeah, right after the fight, we're good buddies, but I'm gonna try to kill you.
Speaker 2: Why does that happen? Like who decides when you're gonna fight? Why you're gonna fight?
Speaker 4: And so there used to be so that was part of it.
Speaker 5: Like when I was coming up, like the goons, they would just they knew they were fighting each other for no reason other than we're gonna fight.
Speaker 4: Like it did nothing.
Speaker 5: And so I kind of agree with like getting rid of these stage fights.
Speaker 4: Now, fights pretty much happen if you hit.
Speaker 5: Somebody from behind, if you get your buddy, you know, you hit a guy and your team dirty.
Speaker 4: If you run the goalie like something, what's run the goalie meme?
Speaker 5: A you can't really hit the goalie. Like if somebody hits the goalie, like, game on, if you touch the goalie, it's over pretty much. Yeah, Like, especially if he's out of his crease and you hit him, like that's usually enough to start byight now exactly pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, he's hit quarterback. But even though you hit the quarterback.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but you know it used to be before first shift of the game. Two guys have no problem with each other, and the game hasn't even started. They're squaring off. They've got That's really what the game's gotten rid of. That's one thing that's not that bad they get away from because like those guys, they didn't even want to be fighting each other half the time.
Speaker 2: So there's no situation where it's like, hey it's three to one, we need a spark.
Speaker 5: No, that's so that's still that happens way less, but that still would be a reason if you're down. But they're on with like the one minute of the game, score zero zero, the two toughest guys are gonna fight. And both of the guys for the most part, haven't slept pregame meal because they're so nervous the night before they know who they got to fight.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, they talk to these guys.
Speaker 5: These dudes battled in such anxiety to know like even though I know I'm tough, I know it can fight, I don't know what's gonna happen in this fight.
Speaker 2: And there's a documentary about that, right like Ice Guardians. That's great, Yeah, this is in that actually is he?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I watched it like four or five years.
Speaker 2: I don't remember a whole lot of it, but them talking about that was Biz. Biz was like one of those guys.
Speaker 4: Right, that's how bisms of living. Biz.
Speaker 2: I'm dude, Like in my mind, I'm like, I'm beating the guys.
Speaker 4: You bro.
Speaker 5: He's my height and like Jacks, he's pretty big compared to most human beings.
Speaker 4: You're nine feet tall.
Speaker 2: Could you teach me the nice tall joke? If you can, you teach me to skate and fight? How long would that teach you do either?
Speaker 4: I couldn't do. I couldn't. I couldn't teach you do either.
Speaker 5: So Biz, My first memory of Biz is uh, I went to Pittsburgh training camp and dude, he's not a big dude.
Speaker 4: Eight am, eight am. I'm so.
Speaker 5: The first there was four groups and the first group was on at eight am, and I walk in the rink and he's squaring off with his buddy. Like at the time, they were real good friends, this kid Dan Carcillo. Eight am, they're squaring off center ice, good friends and going toe to toe.
Speaker 4: I'm like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: But Biz almost made the Penguins when he's nineteen years old as a defenseman, and then he had some real off ice issues.
Speaker 4: He was a complete lunatic when he was younger. He's getting in.
Speaker 5: Trouble all the time, He'll tell you himself. And they sent him to the AHL, to the coast and finally they were like, all right, you're gonna be a Ford, you're gonna be on the fourth line, and you're gonna fight. And what he did that's pretty impressive, is like a lot of guys would just be like, no, I'm not I'm not a fourth line. I was defenseman, I'm not fighting. And Biz was like, whatever it takes to get the NHL, I don't care. And so he started fighting and he's learned to fight, and he did it, and he did it and he kept doing it, and he ended up being the guy who would like every game going into fight guys that. Yeah, he's compared to NHL fighters, he's a little small, little undersized, so he'd be fighting guys huge, bigger than him, and he'd be like, not wanting to fight him, but he'd just do it.
Speaker 4: So that's why he's an animal. And I got a buddy, what is he doing off the ice? He doing off the ice? I mean like old school chicklets bizz.
Speaker 5: You hear about his like sexcapades, you hear about his drinking, is drugging.
Speaker 4: He was a lunatic.
Speaker 2: He was definitely a pig rose kind of guy, Lula tech.
Speaker 4: But he's uh, he's he's cleaning up now, he's a businessman. He's got a girl. He's he's a smart guy.
Speaker 2: Dude, he is. He is a smart fucking dude.
Speaker 4: He's the dumbest smart person in the world.
Speaker 2: Like Texas of his bike, you reminds me of Will, but it reminds me of Will Is the other way.
Speaker 4: Will's no Will.
Speaker 2: Smart smart, but like business River motivated, knows what he's doing, strategy handles all this stuff. I feel like all the shots you've taken and we got to lift up.
Speaker 4: A little bit of why you said let me, let me pump you up after this, you can pump his tire first. What He walks away from HM and goes fu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he uh no, will, I mean without Will, this podcast is going nowhere.
Speaker 4: So that's Bizz with our podcast. What the fuck are you just? Jul No, I just my brother gave me this. I'm like, fuck it, I'll bring it out any nicotines? Good?
Speaker 5: Hey, So Biz came on our podcast. He joined chick cloud to his h myself, an Ra and Grenelli and Biz came. And if it was still just us three without Biz, we'd have I don't know, twenty thousand people listening, which was cool. I thought I don't have the work ethic BIZ has. I was like, oh, I'm in for it. I made good money playing. But Biz has made us what we are. And I feel like he's kind of like You're out there like panicking about the game the next day and Aaron Donald and he's like making business calls.
Speaker 2: And never get up a sect him. But yeah, help he retires, please retiring.
Speaker 4: Who's the toughest guy you face?
Speaker 2: Fucking Chandler Jones ate my lunch this year?
Speaker 4: Really? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: He sh up for sure?
Speaker 4: If you give up one sack. Is that like a bad, bad game? No way.
Speaker 2: I give up two sacks in that game and a lot of hits and a lot of pressures. But it was the first game with the dude. There was the first game coming off, like my knee and stuff like that. I think if we went first game, first game coming off, probably wasn't ready to do it.
Speaker 5: So when you're going through a game, which I'm guessing you haven't had many like that, like third quarter of that game are You're like, fuck, I can't really stop him right now?
Speaker 2: That game that game, like halfway through after the first quirl, I was like, get me the fuck out of here.
Speaker 4: Oh what a panic.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for the ship to end, because I know Will's Washington with my wife and these boys. Was a couple of these dudes back here are big Titans fans. In my head, you're just thinking about all these guys, and you're like you think about your family, like, yeah, I'm just letting everybody in my life down right now.
Speaker 4: And then nuts.
Speaker 5: I remember, and I wasn't nearly the level player you were in the NHL, but I remember thinking like making a mistake, like oh my god, my parents, my friends, like it's do you have a time in your life where you're kind of like I almost look forward to retirement. I'm not trying to say that that's anytime, you know what I mean. I remember thinking that probably that.
Speaker 4: Whole entire game. Yeah, no shit, I'm fucking done with this. It's tough.
Speaker 2: It's tough, you know what I've realized, especially talking with somebody, The less I care, the better I play. If I start caring too much, then it's fucking So. I started getting real, Like I still would watch all my film and take my notes before games because we have a whole week, not like you guys, we were playing well every three days.
Speaker 4: Or something like that, so we would go.
Speaker 2: I was still focus on all that, but like I would purposely try to be more lax the way I talked to handled myself in the building and like to walking. I played a whole lot better, like the last backup of the season, like the first eight games shaky injury, Like it was kind of like this weird like kind of growing a little bit. But you're going through different too, Like hed like hurt, you hurt your bag, it's the hip, then it's the toe, then it's the it's all this crazy.
Speaker 4: My ankle ended my career and now it's like it's going from there to there to there, you know, and it's it's awful.
Speaker 2: Little backs, tight shoulder for someone.
Speaker 5: Honey, I need a massage. She's like, get a ferra gun. Get a gun. Gun's fucking awesome, though, until you.
Speaker 4: Have to do it to yourself, like backwards like this trying to get my lower back.
Speaker 2: Hey, that shit works, though, bro.
Speaker 1: I'll go outside, set in on the QL and then I'll lean over the bend like pop my little back.
Speaker 4: Great feeling when that crack happens. Ye, take an orgasm like Russian gas. I didn't know what this Russian gas ship is. Oh, we get some rushing gas in the NFL, will be a Derek Henry. I'll run for four thousand yards.
Speaker 2: That's what we need. How did you and Bizz like become boys the way you are?
Speaker 4: Like now we be? Is it just you two doing the pud? Now? No? So all right we're all admiral is uh? Him and I started together? Brian McGonagall, Oh, no fucking.
Speaker 5: Name names Brian McGonagall take a lap on morn and raised from Boston, Massachusetts. He named himself Rear Admiral when he started writing for barstools.
Speaker 4: Something to do with like, yeah, like I try to get it, I don't.
Speaker 5: When he tells storry whatever, I want to throw up, so I don't really listen.
Speaker 4: But he's Rear admiral, can.
Speaker 2: You like spark notes me one of his stories.
Speaker 5: No business And the other day if he had a squirter, I was like, I just threw up. But it's us three Grenelli's the producer and Bis and I.
Speaker 4: So we met. We were on the Wolkespear Scranton Penguins, the Pittsburgh Penguins AHL team, and then Bis got put on waivers.
Speaker 5: He got claimed by Phoenix. One of my best buddies played on at the time, Phoenix Cooties. Now it's Arizona. Stayed in touch a little bit, but then like it was it eight years later we both were kind of at the end of the career. We both got tryout offers with the Saint Louis Blues and you know, kind of like I think it probably happens in the NFL, where you get invites to camp, maybe you.
Speaker 1: Get like workouts and they'll fly you in and you'll be a few of you in a position group doing the same workouts.
Speaker 4: So hockey, you get a PTO they call it. So you basically go to camp on a tryout.
Speaker 5: You get to per deem every day and then at the end of the camp hopefully you get a contract, maybe an HL deal. So Bis and I we were the two PTO guys. We knew each other before. We're kind of loud guys. So in the room we were like biz callses. We were the jesters. Like the Blues loved us. All the guys loved us that you know, the GM he was like a big fan, but they didn't never room for us. Neither want us were very good. But in that time Bus and I spent a lot. We just hang out all day. We just after practice, we go back, we go to dinner together. We'd hang out and we were talking. We're like we should do something like when we're done, we should just like our other buddy Keith handle that. He said, like we should just go to the rink in the mornings we retire and just sit in the locker room, get dressed, but then knuckle on the ice and just tell stories and talk to each other like some sort of like yeah, just like still be in the game, but without having a play and so sure as shit, I retired before him. I put on Twitter, I want to start a podcast.
Speaker 4: What do you think? Tagged him.
Speaker 5: He was still playing. He said, dude, I can't do it. Yeah, you can't do it right till you're done. That's probably why you don't do it during the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And uh and talk is zone bird, like we've already talked about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's different and when and he was in the AHL, so he's like, dude, I and he had just gotten signed by this HL team. He had nothing going and so he's like, I can't right now. He's like, all right, well, whenever you want, you're in. And then this your admiral who I had met like one time. He reached out and I was like, all right, I'll do it with you. And I didn't even like meet him for a beer first.
Speaker 4: Like, looking back, we probably probably wouldn't have started the pot had I met him for a beer first. I'm glad I didn't. But we, uh, we hit it off. We did like.
Speaker 5: Ten to fifteen episodes. Barstool picked us up and.
Speaker 4: Then see with Barstool while you guys were doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he was never paid. He was always just writing Bruin's blogs.
Speaker 2: And then he did a podcast.
Speaker 4: Use those we did the podcast and so he could put it on the blog, but it wasn't like under the barstool umbrella.
Speaker 5: And then Dave was like, all right, we want to bring you guys in and I want to say we did. I'd actually love to know these. I'm say fifty more episodes. And then Biz retired, came in, and then it was we took off. So we had gotten to kind of where I think the max of Mera and Grenelli would have gotten. I think, I don't I don't know, you know, I had no interest in doing anymore any more work.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is cool.
Speaker 5: One day a week we meet up and then Biz came and just get exploded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was cool. It was great. But Biz is like he's one in a million, that guy.
Speaker 5: He's a funny, funny human being who's way smarter than people think.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's like a hustler. You even hear it when you're on the freet smart, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'll be like, I'll call you in five or you try to call him, he'll know rightway and be call you in five and the.
Speaker 5: Ability he's got his ability where when the call ends he hangs up like before, it's like he's always.
Speaker 4: The first to hang up.
Speaker 5: So now I'm like, as our calls kind of coming in and I try to beat him and I still can't.
Speaker 4: Like all of a sudden, he's hung up first. I'm like, you, motherfucker, I want to hang up on you before you hang up on me.
Speaker 5: It's a weird thing. He's got control of me. Over Do you think that's a smarter thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Probably, he seems like I'm not exactly a genius.
Speaker 2: Can No one's gonna fight you on that.
Speaker 4: You know one of us is gonna fight. I've been one to ask. You get drafted fifth overall?
Speaker 1: You sign like I want to say, you made like twenty four million dollars in the NHL. You get traded a couple of times, you end up in the miners. What made you want to continue to play? Like after your peak? Like you played on the Olympic team. Yeah, and then you play in the miners, and then you even reminder and then you even.
Speaker 2: Travel overseason playing Russia?
Speaker 1: Like what why did you continue to play when you had already kind of like made your bag and made.
Speaker 2: Your living.
Speaker 5: Man, especially when you had to talk with your dad too. Now, at the time I was I went to Russia. I went to Russia when I was thirty one. I just wasn't done. I was I I didn't I didn't want to go to Russia. I wanted to be in the NHL. But I also wasn't ready to be like done playing And.
Speaker 4: It was because you were scared of the transition. Yeah, I actually was never that scared.
Speaker 5: I actually was never that scared of the transition because I had money and I knew I was set.
Speaker 4: But having known now, if I knew now what.
Speaker 5: I knew, like you know, I'm trying to say, yeah, I would have I would have been scared, but I really wasn't. But I I I now if I'm like, holy shit, like I actually I would have kind of been panic because I know so many guys now that don't they don't know what to do, and so I just more than anything, I still like really loved the game, and I I didn't love playing it as much because my ankle was so fucked up and I couldn't my brain was telling me to do things and the body just couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: It was so it was hard, but I wasn't ready to just give it up. It'd be a horrible feeling. It's the worst feeling in the world. I'll never forget.
Speaker 5: I'll never forget talking to coach in Edmonton, He's like, you gotta be here on this play.
Speaker 4: We're going over video. I was like, smitty, This guy, Steve Smith had a long career. I was like I I was telling myself like I was, I was there in my mind and then just and then you just can't do it.
Speaker 5: It's just like every athlete realizes it. But it was an awful feeling and it was tough. But when I kept playing and I went to Russia. Actually after Russia, I went to Sweden too. I still wasn't done.
Speaker 4: I was like, one more year and it was pretty pretty good money.
Speaker 2: I feel like Sweden's much nicer Russia.
Speaker 4: That's the other thing. And I was like Sweden, everyone speaks English. It's nice. Yeah. And I played two games and that's when it was real bad and I retired after the first period of the second game in Sweden. Game was mine.
Speaker 5: So the first the first game, the first game was on the road and I was like minus two. I was horrible. I'm like, Holy, you're on the goal. You're on the ice for two teams. The goals the team, you're two goals for the team you're playing against scores.
Speaker 4: You're on the ice for none of your team scores, you know what I mean. So if I'm on the ice for three, my team score two day.
Speaker 5: Score on plus one. Yeah, So I was minus too, a kind of a liability. And then I go out in the first period of our.
Speaker 2: First as I make you a liability when there's four other.
Speaker 5: Guys because you can kind of like if you were to watch the game and know the game, you kind of know whose main.
Speaker 4: Fault it is.
Speaker 5: You know, it was kind of like my guy, you know if Chandler Jones sacks a QB, like there's a bunch of guys in the field, but he beat you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, sorry, I know what happens.
Speaker 2: Then I kind of got past that in this conversation.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't forget. Man, I'm gonna look on the video and.
Speaker 2: I keep bringing this out to save my own ask. You had five sacks in that game, and people think I gave up all five had.
Speaker 4: Five did five?
Speaker 2: He said a franchise fucking.
Speaker 4: Record said one or two?
Speaker 2: I gave up to he got five of those fuckers on the podue. I think it'd be so funny him on and also.
Speaker 5: Have him smoked he smoked in New England before you have him on what he's fucking smoked? There Isn't that the guy in New England who got booted from the team because he was like on like smoking that synthetic weed?
Speaker 2: Was that him?
Speaker 4: It was Channon Jones. You know this is your best face bent into a police station with no guy. I mean the family.
Speaker 1: You know they have his brother, his brothers John Jones in the usc UFC and he got busted with the drugs, right yeah, and brother Arthur Jones who also played in Have you done that synthetic we before?
Speaker 4: Oh, I actually have no idea what it is?
Speaker 2: Fucking terrifying stuff.
Speaker 4: So you can buy it in a gas station? How can you buy that needs to be able to I think it was like a big thing and like what is thousand and eight nine? It's can't you spice? It's spice, but like case smoke it like it's a one hitter. Like so, so you've done it.
Speaker 2: When I was sixteen. I did it too spring break and they had like they have like levels like five x, ten x, twenty x, forty x eighty X. That's what Salvia was. And me and a bunch of friends did like a a like a one hitter of like the five x and dude, twenty minutes of us just laugh and have it a fucking blast, like a good thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always peed my pants three times.
Speaker 2: I was laughing so hard, like you know, you can't breathe and you gotta stop laughing somehow, Like that's how good of a laugh it was. So the next day were like, let's go to the smoke shop and get some more. And we're like sixteen, we don't know what the fuck's going on. We're just kind of figuring life out. And we go to this place and we're like twenty x four times the last were for Sugarin and do it and so and the way myself twelve times dude, yeah, And the way this shit works is like it's a it's like a one hit thing, look like, yeah, it burns, it burns super fast. And so what it would be is like I passed you the pipe, you would smoke it and then whenever you're done or whatever. So my buddy takes it. We're in this hotel room. It's like him, me and the girl I was dating at the time, and he takes the twenty acts and he takes it inhales.
Speaker 4: And oh no, and he lays down.
Speaker 1: It's like instantly lays down. He's like not responsive for like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: He's like no, Like He'm like he's like not dying, but like he's just like staring up doing this, like mumbling and like.
Speaker 4: Won't say a word to us. We're like, hey, Ethan, what the brown beer?
Speaker 2: I called him? Remember?
Speaker 4: What? What's are you? Okay?
Speaker 2: What's the deal? And then gets up like twenty minutes laters like don't do that. Whatever you do, don't do that.
Speaker 4: No way.
Speaker 2: And I'm a loyal cat, so I'm like, well, if you're gonna do I have to do it. I gotta fucking do it. He told me not to loyal, So you take it it? Yeah, yeah, Like I it's like something to prove. I fucking take this thing. And I hit it and I put it down like that. I put like on the counter and as I'm turning back to my.
Speaker 4: Friends, is like frame frame, frame, frame, done, and I'm looking around.
Speaker 2: I can see the whole room around me, well looking forward, like that's like pictures, you know when you see like a collage of pictures. That's what the whole room look like to me. And then brown Bear and the girl Jackie who I was dating, are like kind of staring at me. So I believe in my head that antlers are coming out of my head.
Speaker 4: Now, oh you're Chandler.
Speaker 2: I'm freaking the fuck out so like, and there's no kind of looking at me, like what's he gonna do because we just dealt with Brown Bear having a fucking ship show for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Get up, Yeah, I get up.
Speaker 2: I run out of the hotel room, and I like, take off all my clothes.
Speaker 4: He completely naked. That's what he did, dude, Oh no, ship, that's what he did. He went to the whole He went to the police station naked with no shirt on.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's wild. So I did that.
Speaker 4: It was over.
Speaker 2: I woke up in a bathtub pretty much. You woke up in a What brought me? They brought me in the back of the room at first, called my clothes that long fifteen minutes. Oh it's like quick, almost fast to the point. Yeah, what the fuck are these How are they selling this stuff? I don't think I don't think it's like legal anymore, Like they don't want that ship go down anymore. Jesus what all the kids would do because like smoking weed was so bad, but like, oh, this stuff's not illegal, you can do this. And I think that was like our thought process. Yeah, right, doing that, you think, oh, people people would have like, uh, like seizures. I think one dude on a football fields had a seizure one time, Like it was a fucking big deal. Like our first two years of college two thousand, I remember having he's a year older than the all. Yeah, I mean you're almost.
Speaker 4: You guys met when you were on the Titans.
Speaker 2: Thirty one thirty two, two years old. How did you guys have the idea of this? It's kind of a fun story. Go ahead, will so he need some body armor.
Speaker 1: So when I was playing for the Titans, like I was kind of like, uh, I would kind of like bring up like doing a podcast, like Taylor and I actually met over podcasts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we loved it then and I was kind.
Speaker 1: Of a new free agent and I was there was like me and Mike Campanero and and Taylor. We were like, no, okay, we had like a little breakfast club and I think I was talking about like Ben Greenfield maybe, or Taylor and I were talking about performance like.
Speaker 2: A breakfast club. But we would always sit down and talk.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm sorry and uh good, No, no one would ever have to.
Speaker 4: Tell Bez to do that. There we go. I'm the new bizzs and uh.
Speaker 1: And so I would Taylor and I would talk about recovery and stuff because we do the song and cold tubs and I was like, bro, you got to listen to Ben Greenfield on podcast.
Speaker 4: It's like a bio hacker.
Speaker 1: He's like a biohacker for like performance and recovery. And then we're talking about like a Joe Rogan pod. So we kind of got to know each other over podcasting.
Speaker 2: But you want to say that, well, I want to say that the Titans were doing this podcast did the top uh oh t p TP the Official Titans podcast, and uh they wanted me to go do it, and I was like, will.
Speaker 4: You should come with me? I just joined the team.
Speaker 2: We just met like two days ago, and people are tweeting when Will got signed, like yo, Will Compton and Taylor want to be best friends? No, were looking at being like, how do people know this what this dude's about? Because we'll have like the who's the WWE guy that does the beer more beer Tequila Austin, Steve Austin. Sorry, sorry, dude, so cold b because they had like clips of Ham and I would always do stupid shit. Also, so uh, they're like these two are like a match made in heaven. And then I had to go do that and we did that. It was a fucking blast.
Speaker 4: Oh well blast, yeah, like I had always like this, this is twenty eighteen. Okay, so podcasts relatively still new, I mean like we started nineteen yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And so that year I wasn't getting a lot of burn. I wasn't playing a lot. I was on special teams. I was a backup and the guy ahead of me, like, you know how it is you need it as a death player, you need a guy ahead of you to get injured, to kind of get in there and play.
Speaker 4: And that didn't happen for me. So low key, I was thinking about real estate.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about, you know, what might I do because I was twenty nine years old.
Speaker 2: I was gonna be thirty next.
Speaker 1: Year, an undrafted guy white, Like you know, I'm gonna be a minimum contract guy from here on that white things.
Speaker 4: As a deal too. Oh yeah, thank being a white grinder NFL game. Yeah, racist, right.
Speaker 1: I was kind of thinking about podcast I was kind of thinking about podcasts a lot more.
Speaker 2: And I remember being like Taylor's basement.
Speaker 1: We were just hanging out one night and him and his wife are like, you know, my wife was would tell me to do it, but you know, like your wife tells you just kind of like based on you. But when somebody else tells, you're like okay, and Taylor and Taylor were like, yeah, I mean you should. You should look at doing it, like you know, start start writing it up and stuff like that. And so I remember thinking about doing it. I was kind of off and on it. I went to a radio show one night and I was on the phone with Taylor. I remember I was driving, it was night, it was raining, and I was about to pull up to go do the radio show with.
Speaker 2: Amy or whatever. Yeah, and I was telling Taylor.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, I think I'm gonna do it, and He's like, man, I'll do it with you if you want me to. And I was like, bro, that would make me feel so much.
Speaker 2: When I thought you asked me to be on it, I think.
Speaker 4: I was just talking about it. No, no, no, I'm actually no, I'm not trying to.
Speaker 2: Try to talk because when you told the story in the past, you're like, I really want to do it, but you feel more comfortable if you had somebody to do it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, yeah, that which is true alone would be like in a couple of months now.
Speaker 2: Now, I love doing like solo pods, like doing every once in a while. I think it's a blast. You can just say dumb jokes and fuck around. Yeah, I think it's fun. Wow, I had to do one every week like this, it'd be a fucking hard deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so, uh, you kind of know how you need your peers to kind of influence you too. Like a couple guys in the locker room was like, hey, com you should have your own podcast. I'm thinking, oh shit, I've been talking about it, like, man, maybe maybe I should do it. And then when Taylor is like, I'll do it with you, I was like, all right, I'm fucking in bro. So I'm like getting stuff up, and then in January comes to season over, we lose on a winning in game. I'm like lining up to meet with people. I'm looking all the pods I wanted to look like and what I wanted to look like on social media and all the influences I've had with podcasts.
Speaker 2: Which is like the opposite of what it looks like now. But this means the podcast you want to start, Yeah, the Dan and stuff like that. But as far as two share, like this is a fighter and the kids set up, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know what you mean.
Speaker 1: And so January comes and tell us like, hey, I'm gonna go to California for a few weeks or for a couple of months, maybe.
Speaker 2: No, I said a couple of weeks. I said a couple of weeks at first, end up being until April. Yeah, it end up being til April. And I'll say, Bros, I was a real San Diego, not the Russian one.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I was feeling myself.
Speaker 4: I gotta get out there. I'm gonna I'm gonna train and I'm gonna do this.
Speaker 1: And you know, Taylor and I just known each other for like half a year at that point, don't yeah, and so I kind of don't know what our officers are, like we had just trained in the summer. But I'm like, all right, bro, you're you sure you want to do this podcast? Like you promise you want to do this podcast. I'll wait on you that you know, I'll wait free forever. But I was like, I'll wait on you, but if not, I want to get going because I don't know if I'm going to be playing next year based on the.
Speaker 2: Year I just had.
Speaker 1: And I got to strike while the iron's hot, and so he's like, I'll do it. I was like, all right, I waited he came back. I was dabbling with the idea of calling it the Den podcast. I was in the like, you know, I still I still like having the one on one conversations, but wolves and ship but.
Speaker 4: Anyway, not actually like.
Speaker 1: The bus this this uh this broad out of Chicago.
Speaker 4: Were you going to see you bray.
Speaker 2: Because I thought of the bus, but yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Taylor, you thought of a bush. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, my fault. The bus idea I thought you were doing about I'm broad.
Speaker 1: I was like, I told you something about the name name by Yeah, busting with the boys.
Speaker 2: I thought there was a our thing.
Speaker 4: No, because remember at first, we didn't want to do anything for the boys related.
Speaker 1: Because hey, I'm glad you're here them to find out we don't remember, we didn't want the boys on the team. Thinking we were kind of running with something that we were all doing like together, because.
Speaker 2: We had this whole thing going during the season.
Speaker 4: Was like we're the boys.
Speaker 1: Remember, We're thinking about two pieces of a pod, two boys in a bus.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but not the way we were. Okay, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We're the same but different dude. But we were like mean girls, dude. Every day we were we were pink.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: I was meet with the producer at the time that they were going to help us, and he's like, hey, what do you think about this bus, Like it's out back and the show.
Speaker 2: To me, I was like, I don't fucking want to do it.
Speaker 1: I was like, Taylor's gonna fucking love this when he sees it, though, so let's just wait till he gets it.
Speaker 2: Taylor comes, He's like, you knew it.
Speaker 4: Oh that's fucking dude, this is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes it wasn't like this at all, Like, look at that little thing on the door right there, basically looked like that everywhere.
Speaker 4: Chairs were fucking everywhere.
Speaker 1: Everyone All yeah, there was there, but like he was a bus, he was a rusted.
Speaker 5: Broke You guys got now, you got the Chevy, you got whistle pit.
Speaker 4: You guys are killing it most like a reliable vehicle out there, Like I'll.
Speaker 1: Throw ting grand into it and he goes, if it works, then that's fucking awesome. They think they can try and make it work, then that's good. And if not, I'll just keep it in my backyard like it's fucking cool. And you know, I'm sitting there overthinking kind of stress, like all right, let's just fucking do it because I'm ready to get going. And uh so we do it, man, And we started ripping a couple of episodes, like, I mean, it looked way different.
Speaker 4: We were in the heat back then, in like the ninety eight degree weather.
Speaker 1: Some gal was like when we were thinking of names, we were talking about like two boys one bus or two peas in a pot, or we were talking we're trying to come up with different shiit you both to be fucking bankrupt right now, but sometimes like bust with the Boys, and we were kind of like we were getting to where we were ready to shoot our episodes and we're going We also said the Boys is kind of like stupid. We we do like it at first, and remember Taylor goes, oh, yeah, I thought itsuf cooler and we were both like, yeah, does.
Speaker 4: Not influence on us too? Yeah, yeah, that was my wife. Okay, she is she she can shoot up people with the best of them, but in this situation, like all this stuff, she's like, yeah, you know, it could be better.
Speaker 2: Gets in your head.
Speaker 1: It's in your fucking melons, remember, and this is fucking you just took from there.
Speaker 4: Whatever whatever you're about to say, Okay.
Speaker 5: Mind go ahead, any name, any name you hear at the beginning. It's never gonna be like, yes, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like because I'm like already thought of spitting chicklets. I was like, I don't know, what does spitting chicklets mean?
Speaker 5: Like, because sitting teeth, you're shooting the ship, but you're losing teeth playing hockey.
Speaker 4: Spitting that's kind of what I said. I was like, I don't know, man, but I feel like I'm more meant there's never gonna be a name You're like, yes, we're in right. I feel like it's like gonna be like, okay that, yeah, we can work with that. That's got to make the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, real, this is a cool ass name though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. So so was bussed with the boys. I love a busting in the boys. I think that I be to have you guys. Have you guys gotten into the interview and retired NFL? Like, how do you do? You do you have an interview every episode?
Speaker 2: Or is it we sometimes we have interviews sometimes we do just ourselves, Like I think.
Speaker 4: In mid season, are you just talking on your own? Since he's kind of no, there's usually somebody on kind of We've gotten lucky the last couple of years because last year we had COVID when I was on the Tide Sale and I were both on the time.
Speaker 2: Un Fortunately, we were winning, so you know, winning you feel better doing the podcast.
Speaker 4: If you're losing it. If we're losing, we probably wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, who knows, but Taylor unfortunately had torn as ACL But COVID wise, players can be around each other, so Taylor would run him solo and we would look at zooming guys in but we kind of hate the zoom things.
Speaker 4: Sucks, Yeah, but it's also like you can do with whoever you want, right.
Speaker 5: How we do it And I actually that million million dollars worth of game another boss to one interview not in person, they travel to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and but like so we'll probably have to start doing if you want to work and like.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know, it's it's it's hard to do. But ideally, like an interview on zoom compared to in person is a different planet. It sucks and zoom and when you.
Speaker 4: Do the like you want to say something, he's trying to say something, you interrupt each other on the zoom and.
Speaker 2: There's a lag in the internet and then you all talk and then everyone stops talking and then someone goes and it's like what are we playing?
Speaker 4: Red Light? Green Light with awkward moment where everyone's looking at each other like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, online your head, you're like, we're gonna cut the ship out of this part, like make sure it's no fucking dead.
Speaker 4: Area, say something, say something, say something, and then you gotta say something. Wilse says the same thing. It makes it sound like you're you're tough to reel in. Yeah, you really are me. I am. I am really and we're like business.
Speaker 5: It's a buz and buz and I will will lifelong be like really good friends because I've told we're always really honest with each other. And I told Biz, I said, biz, like, I've made money, I love golf, I have two young kids. I'm I love this podcast, and I've actually gotten more into it the past couple of years. But I'm not gonna be like changing everything to like make this work. Like you, let's plan stuff out and I'll be there. But in terms of like the way you are and how you're willing to go anywhere and do anything at a moment's.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not like that. But I think because we're honest with each other, it works. So there's times he's frustrated with me, no doubt, but that's just kind of how it is.
Speaker 5: Because in the end, like, I'm not going to sacrifice kind of my happiness for work because of the money I made before, even though I love my job, it's just like I think that makes me better.
Speaker 4: At my job too. What do you do besides this like golf?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right, here you going an annual badass trip with the boys. I'm talking pj's helicopters picking you up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of gotten hurt since COVID, but we have like a bunch of Europeans Swedish guys.
Speaker 4: We go over to Europe, get helicopters to the course. It's sick. Then, like at the end of Scotland one year, Henrik Zetterberg, Nicholas Backstrom and Eric Carlson got us like a.
Speaker 5: Big jet, like a big jet to go to Spain. We finished the trip off there. From Scotland, we went to Majorca.
Speaker 4: It was great. Yeah, it's fucking hard, Yeah, it legit, it was. It was awesome.
Speaker 5: So I will say though, like I've gotten more into like every year it goes on and more into the pod, I think because like you can only play so much golf.
Speaker 4: I love it. But I also I am like, all right, let's kind of try to make a legacy here with the pod and try to do what we can. But it's so I think the podcasting is so cool.
Speaker 5: You guys know it's it's it's a lot of people think it's very easy, and I don't really blame them, Like, dude, you show up to work one day a week. I'm like, well, we have one show a week, but it's not really one day a week because you're preparing for the show throughout the week. You're doing interviews that we bank throughout the week. Then when you do the show, you know we record two three hours. Our shows are long now, they're like three to four hours. Everything long, feathery long, which is you guys.
Speaker 1: Were doing well, why wouldn't you split the three hour?
Speaker 4: Like, why wouldn't you do two a week?
Speaker 2: Why'd you go back to one?
Speaker 4: Because two we can because every time we get on, when we get on, no matter what, it's two and a half hours, three hours.
Speaker 2: So if it's three hours, why don't you do like an hour and a half and then do an hour and a half on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: That would be a good argument.
Speaker 5: But hockey it's tough because hockey, like you, we go into the main stories we have and we end up going off on to tangents. But if you were to do two times a week in hockey, which we did, there's not that much going on.
Speaker 4: It's kind of hard. There's a lot of times on the second episode during the week, you're like, oh, we.
Speaker 5: Don't have much here, and so I guess we could kind of go a little shorter each time, but it's worked out better. I think we our listeners have gone up since we went to one two week and this. You know, you get complaints no matter what online, but it is what it is.
Speaker 4: We don't get We don't get any complaints. No people love you know, you'll tell me. They know that. I'm got my head taking off board Warriors football season, word Warriors. No one gets.
Speaker 2: No one fucking gets after me. No one gets after me more than keyboard Warriors. But on the spot and it nuts. People fucking love it.
Speaker 4: It's fucking wild. So I used to uh so Twitter's I got on Twitter in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: And hilarious by the way, I love you're you, You're a big love and fucking calling people clowns.
Speaker 4: I think I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: But I I got on it, and then I really started struggling in Edmonton, kind of the lowest part of my career as my career ended, and people in Canada like, it's fucking crazy, and so they would torture me, and I would get so mad. I'll block people. I would get I would get so fucking mad. And now when people chirt me and like say they hate me on the pod, I don't care.
Speaker 4: It's so weird.
Speaker 5: Like like you said, like I get I used to get so mad about the haters in hockey, But on the pod, I'm like, I don't give a fuck what you say. I don't BlimE anyone anymore. But people I get now they're like, hey, I love the Paul you unblock me. I'm like, no, dude, you're the only fucking person staying blocked. You pray because you told me I sucked at hockey.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing I cared you would have played a professional sport and being on Twitter, because if someone tweets at me and says, oh, you're a dogshit person, it's like, well this person doesn't know me. Who fucking knows. But like if I'm if it's Sunday and I play a game, people will get to see how good I really am at football.
Speaker 4: So that's the thing.
Speaker 2: They can really say that at one point and I've gotten away from a little bit, like can fucking hurt?
Speaker 4: Oh really you have?
Speaker 2: I had a trash game and then you fucking refresh your thing, and it's like you fucking suck. Just something that simplest from a dude with twelve followers.
Speaker 4: I know he didn't. It didn't matter. The fucking egg, the little egg, damn fucking egg. Want to cry. I remember I remember dreading. I remember dreading. I was I was minus three in the game in Edmonton. It was a Saturday night, hockey night in Kenna.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember Dreading clicking on Twitter like it's like that probably means mentally, I should maybe delete the thing if I'm like going like this like down, piece of ship, scumbag, pussy ankles, suck on this you blaw.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, I wanted to cry. I just go home and get ice cream and drink bro.
Speaker 1: I'd have a buddy we get on the plane after the game and you know, we just lost her something and be like, hey, uh his name was Spencer Long. He'd be like, hey, Spencer, what you did. He's like, I'm just gonna go fucking punish myself on Twitter real.
Speaker 4: Quick, type in his name and just fucking seed.
Speaker 5: How bad he played, and and and I'll say this like maybe it well not maybe it's definitely because I was on the other side of getting the hate but I would never ever right to somebody like you like you sucked. You sucked at this game. I think it's so odd that people like feel the neat.
Speaker 4: I have good, good buddies who go at like Patriots beers like you fucking suck.
Speaker 5: On Twitter, I'm like, dude, why what are you doing? Like how weird is that to write that to someone? I think like it's like almost something about them in a way, like you want to like we have.
Speaker 1: A weird sense of entitlement, like I've been a fan since this for this long, like I deserve this, Like, hey, listen, sorry, bro, team's gonna thrive it out without you.
Speaker 2: Bub Yeah, hey tell you.
Speaker 4: I used to tell my guys in the bar.
Speaker 5: I remember I was eating a steak in Edmonton and I was I was struggling, like I said, and I was eating a steak.
Speaker 4: I'm a the fucking and I'm like, this guy comes up, he's like on the shoulder and he's like, you're fucking horrible. I'm like, dude, in person, respect that though I'm horrible in person.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm like, Bro, I'm trying to eat this filet mignon. Can you leave me alone right now? And then I told him, I go, you should have shot more fucking pucks. Dude, I'm sorry you didn't make it. I know you play junior B, but don't be mad at me because I made it and you did and you think I stink.
Speaker 2: I started doing this thing on Instagram and Twitter. When I when I get a DM from somebody and they're like you fucking suck, like you're this or that, I'll DM them back and be like, hey, I'm sorry you feel that way, Like I'm just I'm coming back from you. And every single one I've probably done this seventy five hundreds, everyone's like, hey man, I'm just trying.
Speaker 4: To motivate you.
Speaker 2: I fucking love you this and there I can show.
Speaker 4: You countless m she'd be like you pussy, yeah, fucking bitch, piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Just keep saying it, fucking sheep.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a it's crazy, it's a it's a it's a it's a brutal thing. The whole social media is it's just hard for athletes. And I know people have no sympathy whatsoever for people who make all this money, but it's like when you hear constantly how bad you are and The problem is people also really take into the effect when you see how.
Speaker 4: Good you are because you light it up. You're so good, you're lighting up.
Speaker 5: It's like, well, if you're reading that, like you're gonna read the same stuff when you're doing bad.
Speaker 2: And it's wild because you can see ten things that say you're a stud and the one and you see one that's like you fucking suck and you're like, damn, I know, and this dude's not but fuck nower Kentucky, probably living in his parents' basement. I care about this dude's opinion.
Speaker 4: I know, girl, whatever, I know. It's you know what, man, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like they're saying to live for the cheers, died by the booze kind of like what you're saying, like you kind of like wanting to feed your ego.
Speaker 2: People saying you're awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're good.
Speaker 1: If you're good enough, it just tanks you because you're like, you're like living the high life too, and everybody's celebrating you.
Speaker 2: The thing that it's you can tell like it's so kind of faked is I'll have all of a good game and all people are shooting on me, and it won't hurt near as much because you know, I know. Oh but if I had a couple of fuck ups and someone says something, I'm like, damn, I played that bad.
Speaker 4: Well, how about when you're playing bad in your mind with people a good game? You like, no, dude, yes, what are you talking about? These guys are no fucking even more you don't even you probably.
Speaker 2: Will say no, I won't at least say's the kind of thinguy played?
Speaker 5: First off, I'm like that one guy retweet the motherfucker like coach Jerry Jerry, the kid from on Twitter said I was good, so sorry, said.
Speaker 4: The prayer emojis like Cord tweeting it.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what's tough too, Like when you're like trying to continue to be on Twitter and then you don't play a lot and people just fucking ream you for being a base will Yeah, I'll like drop a.
Speaker 2: Photo of me just standing on the sideline.
Speaker 4: Last week. Shout out Roman, no free shout outs.
Speaker 1: No one out there is perfect if you're watching this, if you're looking at me right out right now, boys, no one in the bedroom is perfect. Even the best ballplayers strikeout with the basis loaded. The best golfer. Sometimes three pot with determinent on the line, and sometimes you miss an open field tackle. So if you feel like you come up short in the bedroom, sometimes that's perfectly okay, happened to me last night. But if it's bothering you, there are now options. Go to get Roman dot com slash Busting Boys Now. With Roman, you can get a free online evaluation for and or sorry sars.
Speaker 4: When you with with Roman, you.
Speaker 1: Can get a free online evaluation and ongoing care for ED, all from the comfort and privacy of your own home. A US licensed healthcare professional will work with you to find the best treatment plan possible and if medication is appropriate, it shifts you free with two day shifting with two day shipping.
Speaker 2: Very discrete, very simple.
Speaker 1: Just go to get Roman dot com slash Busting and complete an online visit. Hang on, scroll up because it says go to get Room dot com slash Busting Boys now, but it just says go to get Roman dot com slash busting.
Speaker 2: Do both of those?
Speaker 4: Do you know it? Do either one?
Speaker 1: Let us know, let us know which one is the right one. Take care of Ed without leaving home. Complete an online visit today today and connect with a doctor near you look straightforward, take care of your ed get Roman dot com slash busting boys.
Speaker 4: How's the pension for you?
Speaker 2: Good? It's straight Yeah, it's actually really good.
Speaker 4: Based on games played. Oh you're getting a nice pension. Yeah, you can get it for they spend two dollars every one you spend.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're really talking about different things, Pinch, if you're talking about four one k.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's what's the pension? Pension is like what you get for credited years.
Speaker 1: So since I've played nine seasons, that equates to like sixty something hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Once you turn fifty five, what yeah, bro, oh.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get a You're like you're like five thousand something, but you'll bump up to like sixty. I want to say, mine's like sixty five hundred right now when you turn fifty five.
Speaker 4: When you're fifty five, you're going hard. I've been like four times he got gone, so you better get that, Pinch.
Speaker 2: I was telling JP they were driving and I'm like, uh, I'm like yo, dude. Like sometimes like the first three weeks after the season, I'm fucked. Like talking is more difficult for me. I stutter a lot more, and I'm telling JP, this is we're coming from something, and what does that ever happened to you? He just kind of looks up the window and goes, nah, man, that's sad.
Speaker 4: Fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: And like literally I was like right at the end of the three weeks with like when I was talking about it, and it's been like, what's been a week since? Right, feels so much better now. It's those three weeks. I'm like, Okay, I'm cool now. But when I first end the season and my body's like, okay, we're done, and it's kind of just like lower you luggage, Yeah you fucking no doubt. Okay, we gotta talk about hockey trips. This dude's fucking putting out gold right fun right now.
Speaker 4: When you said that to him, you were hoping a degree. It's like when you're playing you ever hundred man, I'm so tired today, like just hoping that I feel great. It's like, no, don't see, really, dude, I had great sleep less nights. I you tell me the same. Did you guys meet your goon squad over here?
Speaker 2: The squad is a kind of like just a bunch of ship had to happen. We had We had two guys with us in the beginning that were good dudes. They were sorry different, they had a different ideas, differ And then we had a we started finding the new production guys, and we found one guy to come in and had all the promises in the world, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me tail in a coffee shop and Taylor and not like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sitting there walking call them billions, bro, fucking billions are coming out the world to like post a story or something. We're like, let's fucking go.
Speaker 4: He's like, is everything you didn't know?
Speaker 2: It's like this, and it's like he was showing me some basic shiit. He comes and the guy in the back left over there, boss was with him, photographer and this dude. I think we did like three or four episodes with them, and they were like, all right. We went to say five hundred bucks, Like we can't fucking do that. Dude, he wanted you to pay them that much. Yeah, it was a shitload of money, and so what I don't fucking know.
Speaker 1: He he copy and pasted dude's bios from Wikipedia as like the.
Speaker 4: YouTube for an interview.
Speaker 1: Like but even even when we post the YouTube, like in the description he put like the dude's Wikipedia as like the Bible, as like the description like he just cut corners. He's one of those dudes that would fly to La laying the plane rent out of Ferrari just so.
Speaker 2: He can fucking take pictures and pay them. Yeah, that's a that's a pretty specific version, right. Yeah, So Boss hit a stuff, I don't know how exactly, Boston Will. We're talking and he goes like, Hey, I love what you guys are doing. I love to help out whereever I can. And Boss is also a cop too, so he like does this kind of just to be up with the boys. Yeah, and the cash when he pulls this ride.
Speaker 4: And you're fucking out. We had uh, we had this one.
Speaker 2: There's a piece of paper up there, like if you look in the back, there's a piece of paper and it says, uh, I woke up today feeling it was time to tighten the fuck up. That guy name was named Matt Neely, and he was like, Dude, the position we're in right now. Neely would have fucking loved We've said all the time.
Speaker 4: Drive dude.
Speaker 2: He loved barstool too, and uh, he was huge Titans fan. Like over the top, big meme guy, and he was with us, and so it was, yeah, I thought, I thought, uh, rully, I couldn't trust him because he was like such a huge Titans fan. I was, I don't want I don't want this guy to be around my.
Speaker 5: I would, I would, I would understand that you're just like, dude, I don't know, I'm on the Titans.
Speaker 2: There's something, yeah, you hear well, And I didn't want to like say something like something you know when you're frustrated when you're playing hockey and then you're just like, man, fuck this fuck this guy or this coach, and it's like you're kind of just saying it to get it out and then you move on. Like I don't want that to stick with him. So I kept my distance and right around uh, like Junior July of the year the year what year was that?
Speaker 4: Nineteen?
Speaker 2: It was it was nineteen, Yeah, I was nineteen. Right around Junior July nineteen, like I really started like, Okay, this dude's like I trust him, he's a boy.
Speaker 4: I trust him. I liked him.
Speaker 7: So we really started getting close. They were really close, and so I was suspended in nineteen and he would come over during the games, and he would just be so hilariously self deprecating and talk about how like if the Titans don't score here, he's gonna kill himself. Then all this like crazy shit, like he's so hilarious.
Speaker 4: We're still a mean type guy. Hilarious. He would have he would murdered.
Speaker 2: He'd probably been he'd be at HQ right now killing it. And then in October or was it? Yeah, it was October, like right when I got back to start playing will calm and he like passed away in the shower. Oh way, fucking passed away. Brother was tough man.
Speaker 4: Holy shit? How old was he twenty? My car age right, he would have been twenty.
Speaker 2: Fan legend, like every Titan fan kind of knew who was. Yeah, that sucks really profile picture of him as a frock. Oh bro, he was so funny.
Speaker 4: Let's post that. God damn frog, especially because he kind of like built your trust, like at the beginning, maybe you like it.
Speaker 2: Really hurt when you went because like, sorry to hear that. It makes me I wish I trusted him earlier because we only got like three good months together.
Speaker 4: I like trust him. We like really grew relationship well you got.
Speaker 5: What you guys have now is awesome. It's really cool to see this. It's a good experience. I'm glad I could be a part of this.
Speaker 4: You think it's over, Yeah, I got the game, and then that's when the stuff that's out here. I thought that maybe the right Let's take this sip of the whistle bay.
Speaker 2: We can't just fucking have it sit in there and not have a little sip.
Speaker 4: Whistle p holy ship whistle pick. This is great.
Speaker 2: We all just get super quiet as we pass around.
Speaker 4: No I knew telling pussy bitch I was taking. I was thinking it. I don't uh drink a whole lot. I do love whistle paper. I'm gonna drink some of this still because I've had. Dude, it's smooth too, it's good.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal.
Speaker 4: So the only time I.
Speaker 5: Really drink whiskey is when I go play golf in Europe. We all put in flasks and.
Speaker 4: It makes makes unique. It makes us feel so like we're playing golf in Europe. Just win the rain. You're drinking whiskey, shutting them out, Dude, I'm not shutting them ount.
Speaker 2: You're hoing that good on the bottle then the guys, I've had two shots of it, so I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Keep drinking it. Pink Whitney is like, so we found out that two of the biggest markouts, two of the two of the biggest markets, but you can set up that uber was Memphis, was Memphis, Tennessee and Jackson, Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Wait, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: There was a month or like a couple of months span where two of the biggest markets selling pink Whitney was Memphis, Tennessee and Jackson, Mississippi.
Speaker 5: Like, people have no clue what chicklets is. Who I am like this, It's just it's a pink vodka.
Speaker 1: It's like you guys have been murdering it too, right, Like I want to say, business, tellman, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I won't even know The Rock. The Rock came out with this teremna at first when we first got to the Rock, talking about we did all this stuff and business.
Speaker 4: Like, yo, we fucking tripled the Rock.
Speaker 5: The Rock says he's the biggest selling spirit. Yeah, we've changed the game. We've changed the game over ten has so much success with it. You want to know a funny story.
Speaker 4: Big Hey, I do love the rock though, and I love bringing guys one something I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that I want to know something funny. So we went out, we did the taste tests in Boston and they bring us in. So we did the taste test and we go in and business I my wife was there, and they have they have like eight different.
Speaker 4: Options for us to taste. So the first one, I'm like, that's pretty good. I like that.
Speaker 5: One second one, I'm like, no, boom, that's done. Not the second one. Third one, okay, boss, let's put it near the first one. And as we get to the eighth one, it's like, all right, we got we got we got four that are options, four that are brutal. Let's go to the four that are options.
Speaker 4: We go through one. I still like two. Actually I don't think so three. Let's get that with one. Four we're done. So we got one and three, we got two options, and we get to one and three. Boom, boom, We're getting pretty fucked up. That's this thing. And so we finished. We're like, that's it.
Speaker 5: Number three, boom, that's what we're going with. They're like, well, they were all the same.
Speaker 4: I'm like what you're fucking line. I'm like, what do you mean then all the same? They're like, those are all the same drink we already picked. I'm like, it's my fucking name. I didn't get to pick. Yeah, that's so I remember saying MB. I'm like, that's not gonna be a fucking video. That will not be a video. U No, no, no, first said it on the pod, I said it on the video out there. Yeah. Can we get the actual video to put with this club?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: For sure, it's fucking hilarious. We're like, no, no, no, the first one was way better. The dude's backs like same voga dickhead. Yeah, that's true. They did say that that the ice that they were in there was melting it and watering it down.
Speaker 2: But the way, how did you so when you guys got these bottles, how'd you sell them so fast? How'd you like market that so well?
Speaker 5: We talked about them on the pod and then what happened was we got lucky in a way that you want to get it out to everyone as quick as possible, But the fact that.
Speaker 4: We couldn't get into Canada. Canada has these crazy, especially Ontario. They have like the LCBO where they regulate all the liquor that comes into the province LB for.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: So they like it's Ontario really controlled. So but all of a sudden, because it was in Pennsylvania or it was in Massachusetts and the few states it was in and we're talking about and people are putting it on social that like the fact that they couldn't get it like helped us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know where it was like it was really building up, like we want that, we want that. So I think that that really kind of helped. And then you know, Canadians are drunks, so you guys are My wife said it was like probably listenership.
Speaker 4: I think our listeners are fifty to fifty. I think it was a good Yeah, it is a good thing.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: I've been ripping on Canada for their COVID ship. It's a pathetic country right now. But it's still fifty to fifty. I think for for listenership, I would say it is definitely my wife's from BC.
Speaker 4: Is she yeah? She love No. No, I wouldn't say so. Oh fuck, bro, that's who's you guys? Who's guys? Who's your guys? Dream interview you it's done.
Speaker 2: Fucking did it, and I have a lot weren't done after this.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. I'll come on anytime anytime he's playing. He doesn't want to come on, you call me. I'll hop on for a week.
Speaker 2: I'd love to just knowing the fall during football. You literally told you that he's so hard to get ahold of it.
Speaker 4: But no, I do this nor right.
Speaker 2: People will all be like, hey, anything you need for me, just let me know, just call me him and they call me and I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, I'm busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor was like in Europe a drinking whiskey.
Speaker 5: Let's see how similar we are? Are you bad at Are you bad at drinking? I mean I'm drinking, Jesus. Are you bad at texting people back? I get texts.
Speaker 4: I don't return text but but do you do it? I read better. I read the text and then I'm like, oh, I'll respond later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you put the phone down or I'll be in the responding me. I'll be responding and I'll put it down and then I'll go back to their text four days later and I have the text written now it just hasn't sent.
Speaker 5: I went to text the guy the other day and I saw it a text from August twelfth. I was like, sorry, I missed this, which I think I did, but I'm like, this guy's gonna be like, how.
Speaker 4: The fuck do you miss it? Well, I know, but I have a couple of friends that are worse than me, and it pisses me off. I don't take it personal because I know how I'm it is. It is a scumbag move, but I don't I don't mean it.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just like the kids sometimes they yeah, the kids get in the way, beliving my children.
Speaker 4: All do your kids foreign? One? I'm four and one.
Speaker 2: We are a lot of lights girls, two girls.
Speaker 4: Two boys. They can run after it perfect conscious, let's not. You don't want me?
Speaker 2: Is like, uh, if we were in laws, what we would be Yeah, I don't know, father, father drink, Yeah, let's go. No, I would I beg I had to watch your sons. I sit in this couch with them fucking sleeping middle I.
Speaker 5: Never we had our kids when I was retired. It's gotta be hard playing with kids.
Speaker 2: So no, uh, it depends when you have kids. If you have kids right before season, were they born in the season or we're born. My kids were born in July, so the first six months of their life, I'm like low, Ki not around.
Speaker 4: And the tough this verst six months is like, Hi, I'm dead. Such a shitty move.
Speaker 2: Kind of my least favorite part of having kids like that verse six months, like just sleeping. My wife have fucking all times you's gonna see us. So I have like gas, You guys get a nightmare all time we've had we have and I nurse every once in a while, but she gets up with those fucking kids, dude, and crushes it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't do a legend during the season. Legends. Absolutely, It's amazing because I get it. I get two hours with those kids and I'm like, oh my god, I'll tell you hours a day with them. Yeah. The hardest thing about having kids.
Speaker 2: The hardest thing about having kids, uh while you're playing is when you spend six months you don't want to see them wause you're so focused on football or hockey. When the season ends, you're in you're like you're like integrating back into their life and it's like you kind of don't know where you fit. And there's like a couple of week period where like I had this anxiety because I think I have to be doing something, like why am I at the house all day?
Speaker 4: I have to go work out, I have to go do this.
Speaker 2: And it's like you got nowhere to be, you nowhere to be right now, you gonna be I And then it's like, you know, I tell my daughter something, she's like, Mommy says, is okay, I'm like fuck, really all right? Well go ahead then and then then she's played me, and then she actually wasn't allowed to do that, like I got played by my oldest all Win Rebel. That's her my oldest name, man Win Rebel, the one dude she name.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, i'll tell you hynn Oh. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her grandfather, that's she's named after Tale's grandfather.
Speaker 5: I love the well I shouldn't say I love like I get home from these work trips to go on. We probably do like a four or five night trip, I don't know, six times a year. We got our shoot hockey tournaments. We go do interviews, and so I miss the kids so much. But when I get home after the four or five nights where you got your own bed, you're sleeping in, I get home, I'm like game on. It's like it's hard, right, Like it's kind of the end of the season for you, where you you know, works like difficult.
Speaker 4: But then you get home you're like full time dad mode. This is fucking im bosson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then but you start playing like the victim mode in your head where it's like, why don't I get a break?
Speaker 4: Everybody else needs to do this, everybody else is to do that. My shoulders, Like you don't even play hockey anymore, you pussy? Yeah is that to your face?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, closed me a place every day in my life with your mood about.
Speaker 4: Your aches and pain, nobody gives a fuck. I'm like him with you, like this house for this house, like my past is paid for this vacation.
Speaker 1: Honey, dude, that's so fucking true. Before we get off, talk about your relationship with the Dave Fortnoy.
Speaker 4: Oh he's a peasant. No, Dave's.
Speaker 2: You always getting on a show and you guys just go toes all the fun. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think we're kind of similar in terms of like really loving the like going at one each other, one another, or not even.
Speaker 4: Going at one another, going at anyone.
Speaker 5: I kind of enjoy like the I'd rather have a podcast where going at each other than we're like, oh, lovey dovey, and so he's kind of like that. But I remember I first got to know him through like Twitter, like I was a big fan of barstool, like thought he was hilarious, and then started somehow like you know, maybe a couple of tweets back and forth to each other, and then I remember being like, all right, well he wrote me one time he's like, when are you gonna come work for me?
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm gonna fucking work for you.
Speaker 5: Like I took it like personally, and I think that he probably saw like, all right, well i'm gonna give it to this guy. He's gonna give it back, and it's a pretty good thing.
Speaker 4: But then as Barstool grew and grew and like everyone just sucks his dick and kisses his ass, it's like, fuck you, dude. You're five foot seven. You couldn't you were.
Speaker 5: Good in high school baseball, but you talk about how athletic you were, but.
Speaker 4: I'm six four.
Speaker 5: I'll dumb you in any sport, and you're trying to big time everyone. So I love the guy, but I know in every aspect besides like maybe comedy and like growing a business. I'm better than him, Seriously, why don't you take everything except for like a business or like he's pretty funny, but there's times I can even go total toe.
Speaker 4: With him in funniness.
Speaker 2: But I love him in funniness.
Speaker 4: In funniness, like you want to be funny day, But we were talking about like humor and like if you're good at it. And I also remember like so so I was like, like I said, I was, I love barstool. So I was driving the old Milton office.
Speaker 5: I actually live like probably a mile or two from there now, but at the time, like all my buddies were grew up in Milton and I ended up living there. So I was driving through there and I saw him walking across the street. There's like a hardware store across from their old office, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, poor Noah, you fucking bidget. And he's like carrying, like what do you used to eat all the time? Panera? And he's carrying He's like looking around, He's like who's that? Like this fucking guy. But I've always thought I've always.
Speaker 5: Thought he's one of the funniest people. He's one of the funniest people in the world. And then so I've actually, you know, been really thankful for him.
Speaker 4: I've told him that too, like because without Barstool, it's what everyone says, like, oh, Chickles is a monster. I'm like, Chickles is nothing without Barstool, I can.
Speaker 5: Openly admit it because we had these their their fan base as listeners.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like if we're Sties, your fucking heart.
Speaker 5: Yes, Stueys are unbelievable, most loyal fan fan base in the world. And and I think that with Dave, like he wants guys to give it back to him, Like he doesn't want people to kiss his ass, but naturally, with how big he's become, that's just how it is.
Speaker 4: But fuck him, Oh do his will kind of kiss his ass? Man, it's tough to watch ship.
Speaker 2: Well, you just nudged over at me.
Speaker 4: No, I did. You don't want that.
Speaker 2: It's a hard deal to watch them. He was on this podcast.
Speaker 4: No, I think you know he was on the bus. I think with everybody, you're just a nice guy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Actually, as far as goddamn I keep going back and forth on you, I'm flippping hard.
Speaker 2: You can go uh, as far as like a camaraderie guy, like a locker room guy. There's no one better I've ever met in my life who gets wrong, gets along with everybody, even if he doesn't know somebody or he knows he's met them before. He's like, what's up, dude, good to see you, and like dap him up and like you can just tell that person's like, yeah, Will loves me. It's like, well doesn't well doesn't even know know you at all? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Commenting you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you got to like I don't give a fuck about the person.
Speaker 1: No, you care about people. But it's like when you come in with the energy, it's not like you're getting that there's special.
Speaker 4: He's lying to you right now side. I want to shake his hand. He goes, not get in here, buddy warm. I was like, I love Will Compton.
Speaker 2: It all changed and his teeth change before when.
Speaker 4: He hugged me at the littlest fucking guys. White ships are one of those numbers right now. Yeah, Christ yeah, those things are thirty k. They look great though fifteen Jesus got the half off the NFLP.
Speaker 2: Dude, I wish NFLP. I was that fucking useful, fucking trash dog. See what the old ties he had the buddy out to. People say they wouldn't just suck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but old teeth you were winning people over near as fast. You were kind of like, Yeah, people took me in a fan somewhere. You know what I'm saying. We're just kids live. He's like that guy's really nice. Yeah, but don't take his candy.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, if he gives you a drink, don't drink it.
Speaker 4: People lean the tailor. Hey, how do you get in here with you?
Speaker 2: Fucking Hey, dude, I remember when he first got this season. I never even noticed how bad will guy in.
Speaker 4: Something about Mary's I hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, he's the well he would act like nothing even happened.
Speaker 4: Just looking up when you're around me all the time. People. If I didn't think it, but I'm taking selfies, look at that. I think this comes up on every pod. Let me tell you put that put the top row middle. You look like you went from meth head to like successful podcaster.
Speaker 1: It's so funny you said that because back in Nebraska, my boy, where are you from Missouri?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, exactly. I got a mastery of looking mouth.
Speaker 1: But when I played in Nebraska, somebody had tweeted, will come and look like he's a methadict, and my boy Nick had saved that tweet forever.
Speaker 4: So the left one get chipped. Tell me it got chipped? Were you born like that? With the.
Speaker 1: No I was chasing my little brother around the house. I tripped and fell into a door, went face versus the door chipped. It stared at myself in the mirror as I held it and just looked at myself and started crying.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: Those yeah, gum, the nice one. But here's the thing that was the post. People will be like, oh your teeth, Like, dude, why wouldn't you do this if he didn't like your jibs? They look amazing now the best investment I've ever fucking bro without a doubt.
Speaker 2: And when he got him done, he comes he tells me we're working out. It's the summertime, and he's like, oh, yeah, I'm gonna get my teeth done.
Speaker 4: I take a sevel with you, Like, bro, why, like, who cares? He's all I got my new teeth done.
Speaker 2: I'm like, dude, your teeth, others teeth weren't that bad because you don't even you don't realize, like I don't. I don't look at you and be like, eah, you know all right, small hands, I don't look at that.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's just life now. And he fucking goes and shows me a picture of his teeth like this picture. I'm like, that's what they looked like yesterday.
Speaker 6: That was down there.
Speaker 1: The third row is what I posted, Like I said, like cable television, direct TV, they'll see where i'mre on the white teeth third row.
Speaker 5: Oh that they look great though honestly they Portno, I just got a guy from Rougher roading new teeth.
Speaker 4: Oh and you could tell oh I saw that. It's like change his life crying. Yeah, like you could you would, Yeah, it changes fucking everything. You look at that, bro, dude, you were like a Now you're like a seven and a half. No, you gotta give me. Yeah, I didn't have solid it is. But you know, I'll tell you though, like my ears are huge. I got one hugely, but I would you can fix teeth, but like you can't touch ears. If I got my earpin back, I'm not the same person if you can turn a pin back. You're saying they stick out.
Speaker 5: We got a spit and chicklets memes. Guy, he's so funny, so funny. He just started doing stuff online. We found him like the hilarious memes. And I told the story recently I lost my iPods and air pods and he put like the funniest picture of like basically, uh uh it was. It was an air pod. Somebody was holding them. Was like the size of your leg. He's like, WIT's air party lost. It was like this motherfucker.
Speaker 4: We found my guy. Know he tortures me.
Speaker 2: Bro, Why don't you you get pin your ears if you want it. If you can turn into I'm not doing do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: You can pin your ears. Oh bro, you can take a penis and turned into a vagina and vice versa. You can do whatever. That's a good point. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You want a dolphin arm, you go and get your dolphin arm.
Speaker 4: He already want now. Yeah he had the dolphins. Whatever the fuck you want, dude, that's crazy. Shut up.
Speaker 2: Lgbtquan buddy, fucking come at me, dude.
Speaker 4: I'm chill. I'm chilling hill easy guys. Yeah, I'm not Davids in the army.
Speaker 5: Just don't come at the bus on the boys. Yeah, Hey, I had a buddy. I played with Jordan Everley. He was in Edmonton. Now he's in Seattle and he's got a wicked gap in his teeth and we were like, oh, you gotta get it fixed. And he kind of says like, no, but this is who I am, and I get you.
Speaker 4: Everyone knows him. It is like he's got the gap in his teeth. But at the same time, cut off fucking mes jeeth. So you had to do it.
Speaker 1: And everyone was telling me, bro, don't do it, like this is you, this is who you are, your personality, blah blah blah. I swear every fucking body bro like, don't do it.
Speaker 4: I was like, you not even say anything.
Speaker 2: Youone looks at you with those set and goes, no, dude, this is you, this is yours. Now you need to fucking hit them and break up with them as a friend.
Speaker 4: Kick and the fucking stomach. This this is me. I'm not he will Oh my god, he fixed his team. No he went back, joke.
Speaker 2: No, he fixed them when he first when he first retired. He fixed him. This dude, makes twenty million dollars a year right now. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 4: You know, way more than is probably making close to fifteen ten million is He was on the Lions. Now he's on the morning show for like CBS. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, dude, he's Good Morning Football forever something about the Russian invasion. I'm like, what the fuck? Yeah, dude, he was. He is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He was on NFL Networks Good Morning Football, like him, k Adams, the who's the fucking Pete Pete Schrager and then Kyle Brandt, Right, I get all this right, Oh, good ship, bro, all the boys Wow, is awesome. All of them are awesome. But they he was a part of that before he went to do that, and he was a pro. I on the show a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Killers. Yeah, you could tell right away, like he's talented, kild for him. It doesn't matter what you did prior.
Speaker 5: If Straighthand and Burlston are on like ABC in the morning now, like that's just talent.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But but but the only reason I thought of him is because they're they're probably making yeah, fifteen twenty a lot.
Speaker 4: We're almost making seventeen a year, dude, even just reup shit, he probably shouldn't because there isn't a whole players not making that. You think, I mean the guy calling the game making more money than but everybody in the team TV deals bro.
Speaker 2: For real, magafee megay right. Well, it's like I think it's crazy, magae or agree with it. It's kind of like wild to think about. Like I don't have an opinion, and I'm happy for him.
Speaker 4: Because I don't. I never really like that's the thing. I never like guys make more money. Now.
Speaker 5: I like love when players get money and even after they play, like when they're okay.
Speaker 4: So it is like crazy when.
Speaker 2: You first got in the NHL where you like kind of selfish, like didn't want people to make money, because that's how I kind of was.
Speaker 4: No, No, I really it wasn't. That's all right, you living living this is me? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a selfish, fucking pricks the lamb in a lot of ways. No, this is your truth, man, and let me live.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But I always remember thinking like guys would sign deals and I was like, oh, if they signed that deal, I'm gonna get a big deal. See. I always thought.
Speaker 2: I'm better than that dude. I I'm better than him.
Speaker 4: Fuck, why's he getting paid? Not me? Boys?
Speaker 1: Men, whistle Pig, the whiskey distillers that whistle Pig Whiskey have cut loose with the boys. This piggyback barrel age craft cocktail in a can is so much better than a Seltzer. It's crisp, refreshing, but super bold and flavorful. What you're looking at here, BlackBerry Lemon fish just quickly one weekend, one baby shower climbed the ranks. I had about six of these boys, and I was ready to go. That's why you saw me at the Nissan game getting a hype with everybody. BlackBerry Lemon Fizz is now my favorite freshener. Lime kind of went to number two over the weekend because I had the same cold I had it on ice. I don't think there's anything like this out there. It's refreshing, bold, balanced. Whistle Plig takes on much more of a flavorful style and at eight percent alcohol, Sign the boys up. It's made with one hundred percent a state grown rye from the whistle Pig Whiskey farm in the mountains of Vermont.
Speaker 4: Bet you didn't note you know that now? You do. Who knew you could innovate with Ryan so many different ways.
Speaker 1: The fruit in it is barrel aged in whiskey barrels, giving it those subtle whiskey notes. Now I'm a big fan of whiskey. Everyone knows I'm a whiskey guy. I got over seventy bottles in my house. Don't believe me. I'll take a photo and I'll post it. But this is going to be my go to for tailgates out on the boat for a bonfire. Honestly, it is perfect for any kickback type of outing. I can attest to that. We just had a baby sharing house warring party. Piggyback sponsored the whole thing. Everybody was out there with Piggyback rice smashing their hands. My favorite flavor is, hands down, I already tells you BlackBerry Lemon Fizz. Visit Piggybackcraftcocktail dot com for more information and make sure you grab a box and select stores. Boys, I cannot tell you how imperative this is. I cannot tell you how important it is that you go to a liquor store or spirit store, whatever the case may be, especially if you're.
Speaker 2: In Tennessee, because I know they're located in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Go and get your piggyback barrelts, Rice smash and for the love of God, tweet us, tag us all the stuff. We got some cool shit in the works, But it starts with you going and buying these cans. Do it for the boys, and do it for the pig You were were you? You were top top ten on what draft?
Speaker 2: He was thirteen?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I was eleven eleven? My bed what is your signing moments?
Speaker 2: Sat so fucking crazy? Bro, I had a shitty draft experience. Shitty draft experience. I Uh, were you the top old lineman?
Speaker 4: No? I was a third? Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they took this dude, Greg Robinson number two.
Speaker 4: Oh, the kidd in guy in Cleveland. And he's a bust. He's a bust.
Speaker 2: He just went he's got busted for drugs again, like two weeks again. He had as yeah, huge bus. And then at six Atlanta was picking. Uh. They they told me like on Monday, like, hey, if you're there at six, we're gonna take you. In my head, I'm like, I'm for sure gonna be six. Like I'm for sure we'll be there.
Speaker 4: I'm going to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be a dirty bird in the green room. I was in the green room, dude, they fucking they go to pick I'm so stoked. I'm waiting for my phone to ring, and the two tables over. Jake Matthews, who's another offensive tackle, gets gets the phone call and ring. He fucking takes the call and in the green room, you're not supposed to stand up. I get up and I fucking walk out. You're that mad hot dude, and so hold on.
Speaker 4: Let me get this water.
Speaker 2: So uh, I get up and I go down this hallway like you gotta sit down, Like no, I'm not gonna sit down. And like in the green room was like, uh Rihanna, the dad from Modern Family, and uh I might have been Drake, Like you know.
Speaker 4: How you kind of place it up in your head, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a little squad in the middle of the hallway. And I met Rihanna like two nights before, and you know how, like you meet some some people, some times you're like, yo, I kind of less an impression in my head. I left that fucking impression at the forty forty I was like, well, I was hoping to God, but that wasn't really it maybe she'd like, maybe we can be friends and you can friend zone me, and then I'll be there when they get through a breakup, and then i'll be the guys you can console, and then we'll be cuddling one night and she'll feel it pressed against her hip, and then maybe something will happen that type of friendship. So I see her and she looks at me, and I swear to god she recognized me. I kidd me playing the big Fish story and she kind of looks at me and like turns, and I give her the and I keep walking to the bathroom. I fucking baked time around it because my feelings were hurt. I go in the bathroom and I'm looking in the mirror. I'm like, you're fucking bitch. You're probably not even get drafted, like you've been pumped. Oh where the focused Ashton Kutcher at, Yeah, you're not You're gonna be nothing.
Speaker 4: And then no, seven, eight, nine, ten weren't going to be taken whole lineman like oh no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Like the next one was like, I think Tampa Bay and they needed an offensive lineman Like I was just hot because I felt lied to and you know you take everything personally.
Speaker 4: When you're little, find out why would they say that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, it's so funny you asked that. One of the guys who was like an upstairs dude came and spoke to me during camp. He was like no longer in the league, as like an upper guy, and and he's like, hey, I was from the Falcons, like we loved you. I was like, why the fuck didn't you guys take me?
Speaker 4: Like what's the deal? And he goes.
Speaker 2: I think at the end of the day, like you were like from a talent level, like athleticism better than Jake, but like he had too many off.
Speaker 4: The field issues. You wrent off the field issue, Oh yeah I had.
Speaker 2: I had assault cases. I had an unch of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fights in college, Yeah, dude, I fucking put some guy down something like that. We beat We beat a house state, which is like the Bigan Michigan. Ohiose state levelry and you know all about that, and we're gonna start. We lost Ohio State and yeah, we beat Ohio State three times. I'm sorry, uh that pig Whitney and I We're going to like this brother, this place called the Brown Jug and I'm walking out of the Brown jug Yeah, it's fucking killer. Do you know Perry, the guy who owns it, his son played uh, and he was living went to Pioneer and also playing stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: The Brown Joe, like my my girlfriend at the time, my best friend from high school and my brother like getting out of the cab and walking in and some dudes on a megaphone talking shit, talking about fuck ah fuck Michigan, a house rips all this stuff. Whilst with this story so many times, doesn't give a fuck. He just wants to be on the phone.
Speaker 1: He's texting like I'm in the best ever wet I got a I got a dinner thing at eight, so I'm.
Speaker 4: Oh for a while, Holy shit, I got a dinner thing. So this dude, I don't care. I'm like, I'm like twelve deep. I just had like a.
Speaker 2: I'm like twelve year I had a bunch of Hams Hams beer.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, whatever I'm going in there, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Get fucked up.
Speaker 2: And Uh, this dude hip checks a pole and fucking eats it, and my brother starts like laughing at him, pointing in his face. And he's twenty nine years old and him and his four buddies around pushing my brother, and uh, my girlfriend at the time was like, hey, your brother's gonna get your boys about to get a fight. So I walk out there and fucking hit hit him so hard he hits the ground and spins it a circle. And I'm like, I fucking killed him.
Speaker 4: He's dead.
Speaker 2: And so I went going back, going back in the brown jug and I'm sitting there like super panics. I'm like, I gotta go back out there.
Speaker 4: Killed the guy. Yeah, I just killed the guy. I walked back out. Guy who I hit? Awake.
Speaker 2: There's a brito place right next to he's getting emburrito. It's totally fine.
Speaker 4: I'm good. Cops out there and I'm muffing them a punch. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Turns out my girlfriend snitched on me after I broke up with her, like three weeks later to a detective.
Speaker 4: Shut the f of god, dude, what she's mad? You gassed her? Yeah? Holy shit, you're a sweet girl.
Speaker 2: But just wasn't it.
Speaker 4: I didn't respect sure enough, I didn't respect wow. So then that case, that case, I'll cost you. So if you get drafted, if you don't drafted, six as the post eleven.
Speaker 2: How much money did you lose by four five million dollars?
Speaker 4: No? Yeah, I mean I guess you made eighty? Who guess? Sh Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I fucking signed eleven with Italians. I was fucking hot. Then they had two tackles, so I was like, what the fuck are they gonna do with me?
Speaker 4: And if we're all they did they trade one? Or did you just beat him out in camp?
Speaker 2: No, Michael or you ever seen the movie The Blind Sign?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So him he was playing, uh was playing right tackle. Funny enough, and then Michael Ruse was like the left tackle, and uh, I didn't beat either of him out. I was fucking chilling on the sidelines and I had him like I'm a bust, like it's over for me. And then Michael Roose gets a he got like a micro fraction on his knee. Done for the season. Week five, Week six?
Speaker 4: Your boys in there.
Speaker 2: Wow, all rookie team crushed it. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: Wow. Just with ten games too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well actually I played five because I got hurt in like the eleventh game, so I missed the last five games. The other big five.
Speaker 4: Games rookie team, Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Before we let you go because I know Will's got to go talk to us about like the stages of hockey, like because with football it's like a it's super easy to figure it out. You go high school, you know, college, you get drafted. If you don't get drafted, you go play like the Arena League or CFL, and he's hopefully figured it out.
Speaker 4: Guys make it to the show from that though, right you can Cameron.
Speaker 2: Wake who's a defensive end and play for the Dolphins. He didn't have it, he like didn't do anything, goes to the CFL, becomes like all CFL, like Canadian Football Player of the Year goes out of Miami. I think it's not like you arguing you got to be like an anomaly, Dad, you gotta be you gotta be a dude that just didn't get it, like has all the tools, that just didn't get it and then goes and gets it. We don't have like a sindown league, like what is it age l's we.
Speaker 5: Don't have an hockey is different because you get drafted at eighteen. So I kind of wish they did up the draft age a little bit because so college football, you got to go three years post graduate.
Speaker 4: From high school, right, So if your PC.
Speaker 5: You can leave after I'm sorry, if you're rector you can leave after your sophomore year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But so hockey's different.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot more guys in hockey that our first round picked busts because they're eighteen and who knows in four years what they're going to be and drinks.
Speaker 4: A lot more third and fourth rounders who end up really good.
Speaker 5: Because like they were eighteen and they really grew in the next few years, not grew physically, but as a player. So I would say, like, you get drafted, and even if you don't in hockey, it's it's not over football.
Speaker 4: If you're not drafted, it's going to be hard. I sense really, but but I mean it's not that common.
Speaker 5: I feel like if you if you don't get drafted football, to end up making it in the NFL for many years, it is hard, right, So hockey hockey it's a beast. It's not as easy. But you know, you get drafted or you don't, and then you go and you're going to play junior college after that. Most everyone plays in the HL for a little bit. A lot of guys even start in the coast more and more. You're seeing guys start in the East Coast Hockey League making it to the NHL because the league's getting better and better, and then you work your way up, you get your shot in the NHL and that's it. But the problem with NHL now is or not now. But I mean, you're a young kid, and you know, you're fifteen, sixteen years old. If you're not a high pick in the OHL, which is junior hockey, there's OHL Quebec League and the WHL for Canada. Then there's NCAA for America, and kids from Canada I can play in CAA.
Speaker 4: And vice versa.
Speaker 5: But a lot of those kids, like you know, they get down it's like, oh, I wasn't a first round pick in the OHL. It's like, dude, you're fifteen years old, Like it doesn't really matter. So I think in the NHL, though you get to the first round, it means a lot. You can end up making more with your signing bonus.
Speaker 4: Not that much.
Speaker 5: They really change the signing bonus and the money you can make, but you get more chances being a high pick. It's like the NFL, right, like you're a high pick, you're gonna get more lives like a cat, and then if you're a low pick, it's like, if you fuck up, you're kind of screwed. So the levels of hockey, though, it's just changing with how watered down, like different leagues are in the US harder Now it's more confusing on where to play if you're a young kid. When I was young, it was like, all right, go to one of these high schools, then go to college. Now it's like junior league here, junior league in Midwest. There's a Canadian league. It's just harder to choose.
Speaker 4: But it's still like if you're good enough, to tell every kid, if you're good enough, dude.
Speaker 5: You're gonna make it. What's the best route, we'll find you. I personally think college is the best route. And Mark Reki, he's an NHL Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: You leave after one year in college, you can yep, you can leave after you can leave it for one year, and you've already been drafted before you go to college.
Speaker 4: Some kids, because their birth year will be like drafted after freshman year.
Speaker 5: But for the most part, I talk to guys who played junior it's great, but you're living with billet families and you're busting long ass bus rides, especially in the western part of Canada. Like, you know, you got eighteen hour bus rides. College, Like you're living in a dorm with girls.
Speaker 4: You're playing unreal.
Speaker 5: You're playing unreal hockey. You're playing against older guys too. You know, college has twenty twenty two year old players. So if my my kids like hockey and they're any good and they have a chance to play college hockey or play junior I'm gonnay go play college.
Speaker 4: And I left school early. I actually promised my parents i'd graduate and I haven't.
Speaker 5: I got to go do that. I fucking have to do that. I promise that school college. I left this for my junior year, and I'm like, well, now I have a degree, all this money, I'm already Unfortunately I do. Yeah, dude, you went back.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I do. No, dude, I were able to say I stayed for my fifth year.
Speaker 4: Michigan's a legit school. Yeah, fifteen school in the world. Crazy Billet family is like a like Foster care type thing. Yes, So wherever you go play, I mean it's a little different, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You go to like you go to like a family who stays with you. Yeah, host family, Okay, family's in the city you play in that will take in kids and it's funny. One guy, one guy, I won't say his name. He ended up marrying his billet mom.
Speaker 4: She left. I won't say that again.
Speaker 5: Guy the guy's name, he billeted with a family. She had her husband and in the end she left him and him and her got married. What's his name, I'm not saying.
Speaker 4: And then there's another guy, another guy played another guy who played with another guy I played with who married his billet's sister. Which I always say, is like, I mean, if I'm a dad, like dude.
Speaker 5: In fourteen years, no, no, bro, go down that road and your daughter's sixteen, Are you gonna take an assist he comes over? People are nuts. You gotta say, you know, daugh, you're gonna a six year a hockey player in your house?
Speaker 4: No thanks?
Speaker 2: Is it kind of like not that uncommon that billet sons bang the moms or sisters.
Speaker 4: I think a normal thing. I think it is not that common. I think, really, I do not think. I think it's a bunch. I think there's a bunch of stories. But in terms of like here being common. Okay, it's not that common.
Speaker 5: Put it this way, my bill mom kicked me out, Chovies didn't want to bang me, pinned back my ear boys.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much the pleasure to be on here busting with the boys. I love a little drink whistle pig piggy bag. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, man, don't drink pink with me me, and then make sure you get some whistle whistle pig whistle pig outside