Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: I'm that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Edo State. Is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tye welcome back to the solid verb of boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildenbrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful New York City, my man Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are.
Speaker 2: You you know? Ty? You sound especially clear, you sound especially punchy, bouncy, and you know what I think that is. I think it's the Sweeney effect. Yeah, I think it's the Sweeney effect. That is. First of all, that is a reference that almost nobody is going to understand. We're going to talk about this, but we are going to attribute so much to the Sweeney effect in twenty nineteen. I'm good, Ty, I can't complain. I am busy, but I'm I'm very excited about tonight's show. Let's make some pretend money for ourselves and for everybody listening.
Speaker 1: Let's make some cash. That's what we're gonna do here on the podcast. This evening A fun show planned. Hello, Welcome to the show. I'm Ty he's Dan. You can find our website at solidverbal dot com if you're a new listener and want to figure out what this is all about. We've also got plenty of social media. You can find us on Twitter, the redesigned Facebook apparently as well as Instagram. There is a subreddit that some of our most fervent supporters have started out at reddit dot com slash our slash solid Verbal, And of course, if you want to make sure that you're up to speed with every last nugget of Solid Verbal goodness, going out to our website and sign up for our newsletter of intent. We have not sent one of these out in months, but but I have a sneaking suspicion that once we get things going with shirts and a few other things are working on the laboratory, we'll be sending that out a few times here over the course of the next couple weeks and months.
Speaker 2: We're getting closer on shirt number two, by the way, so we're hoping for late spring early summer, rolling everything out with that, hopefully with our friends at Cotton Bureau. So tonight's show, first of all, is there any news you want to discuss?
Speaker 1: I would love to talk about the sweety Effect. Dan.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I sent you this this morning, Okay, a PowerPoint leaks from I guess Clemson. This is I'm sure with intention. Yeah, perfect story for our podcast. Okay, so let's back up even more. Davos Sweeney has earned himself a ten year, ninety three million dollars. That's the reported new deal that he has earned for himself. And it's hard to argue against the results and to the place to which Clemson has climbed in the college football universe. The defending national champions, the recruiting like crazy, they're raising money like crazy, that the enrollment is way up at Clemson, like what happens at most big schools when football is you know, in front of millions that there's an excitement about being part of something around the program, around the school. So things are are very I believe this is the word. They're bullish right now for Clemson and Clemson football. Yes, so Nick Saban is no longer the most well paid per year head coach, and Jimbo's close, but it's it's Dabosweeney and he's making about nine million when you when you consider all of the base salaries and bonuses and incentive structures about nine a little over nine million dollars a year for the next decade and has I think it's what's a two million dollar on top of his normal buyout buyout if he goes to Alabama and that goes down by half a million a year after a couple of years. So that is that is the new deal. And people were sort of reacting with, Wow, that's no money to pay the players, no money for this, and that we got money for that, huh. And what happened was the athletic department went to the Clemson board per I saw this on Football Scoop. I don't know where exactly it broke, so I apologize.
Speaker 1: Think it broke on the athletic It.
Speaker 2: Was on the athletic Okay, good to know, good people over there at the athletic and PowerPoint slides leaked of the presentation that the athletic department gave the Clemson whatever board of trustees, directors, what have you?
Speaker 1: This is so good and perfect.
Speaker 2: The underlying artwork is the Sweeney effect that it's just when revenue for football is up, revenue for donations is up, enrollment is up, and just ratings and everything is it's a non stop upward trajectory for Clemson, and there is one man, and one man only who it can be traced back to. This is not necessarily false, but wow, the Sweeney effect is what it says along the bottom of these slides.
Speaker 1: I am excited to use this in perpetue. Yeah, on this podcast. When anything goes right, we're going to attribute it to the Sweeney effect. The other thing that I should add as part of this, and I promise we're going to move on to the actual content of our show this evening.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: You and I had what I would describe as a rather productive and fruitful g chat discussion earlier today, because, as you know, as many of our listeners know, PowerPoint slides look about eighty percent the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few bullet points in there, star wipe here and there.
Speaker 1: About eighty percent the same. You've seen one, you've you've kind of seen them all. You can recognize other power points.
Speaker 2: Do you make PowerPoint presentations for your do I miss stay job?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 2: How often?
Speaker 1: Uh, fairly often I'd say, oh man, that's a that's a blind spot.
Speaker 2: For a couple of times. I don't think I've ever for a serious situation. Whenever I've had to pitch or present things, it's either I guess in video form or I'm just speaking and that no visual aids.
Speaker 1: For the live show, we use a different tool, but I.
Speaker 2: Guess technically, yes, we're in that same boat.
Speaker 1: Power Point is something I'm very familiar with, so I'm sure a lot of our listeners, a lot of them look the same. And we had a rather lengthy discussion on g chat about which cheesy Microsoft animation the producers of said slide deck use to unveil the Sweeney effect on the slide deck effect. And I took a screencap of my work computer. Hope, I'm not breaking any rules by saying that. And you and I had a lengthy discussion about which of these transition effects we believe they applied for the unveiling of this of this effect.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's Easter time, and so I had the appear effect right as my go to my go to guess for this situation for Dabbo. Just because it all connects really really nicely timing wise, I could see them using you can put in sounds right as something a swoosh gets it.
Speaker 1: Gets a little more complicated, a little more complicated, but yes you can technically all right.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm going with is they're probably doing it minimally because they want to say this is a big professional guy, this is a very serious presentation. We're not doing star wipes. But I think on certain sides they couldn't help themselves, like a little.
Speaker 1: Star wipe is a good transition effect. I went with grow in Turn because there's some significance there that's true.
Speaker 2: Grow in turn, Yeah, where the program is growing, the school is growing. We're turning over a new leaf and really making Dabbo feel appreciated.
Speaker 1: Okay, I am most interested in knowing if they applied any transitions to the slides. Not so much the actual content or the Sweeney effect, but the transitions to me are key here.
Speaker 2: With how much money they've poured into that program. And granted I'm definitely one not to speak as an Oregon fan, but with how much money they've put it into the program, with the new facility, if they really really wanted to go for it and sort of loosen things up, you probably go with with Will Ferrell and John c Riley from Step Brothers. Right, you probably have them do the presentation or something like maybe entertainment What is entertainment seven to twenty from Parks and rec So you either have what was the step Brothers production company? Oh god, I forget, I know, I know they did boats and hose. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Now I'm looking this up. This is going to bother me.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you think. Yeah, I'm going to post this screencap on our worldwide Prestige Worlds Worldwide. That's it.
Speaker 2: They should have gone with Prestige Worldwide if they really wanted to spend melt the hearts and minds of the board of directors and have and have the two of them really go for it. Boats and hoes and more money for dabos.
Speaker 1: I am going to post this screencap of all possible transition effects very vaguely on our Twitter account and see.
Speaker 2: What happened, right, Okay, I like it.
Speaker 1: Sneak peek at tonight's show. Here you go.
Speaker 2: Brennan and Dale dough Back. I think I know it's Dale do Back. I think it's Brennan, not Brendan, but Brennan. Oh God, Step Brothers. Just good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tonight's show, tonight's actual show. Daniel let's make some bets now before we get there, we've got a bit a of a rivalry going on here. Now. I came home from the mysterious day job, where I was doing productive things like screen capping and sending to you transition effects in the Microsoft power Point program. I only had a few seconds to come up with the sound, and so I pulled this one out. It's a betting show. Hopefully we're going to be making some money. I pulled this one out, plain and simple cash register right, just sounds like you're walking into a peer one imports. I would say in about one eighth the time that I thought that one up and downloaded it. Yeah, you sent this one over.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm a competitive soul, mind you. But if we're picking between the two, while mine is probably easier on the ears, if we're going to play it about ten times, yours is definitely more annoying and interesting. So I think you win.
Speaker 2: That's why that sound is why I don't go to Vegas. I'd love to go to Vegas and eat my head off, but that sound keeps me away.
Speaker 1: All right, Tonight's show, Dan and I have both very fortuitously inherited stumbled upon found in a basket outside our front door one million dollars.
Speaker 2: Think about what you would actually spend with your newly acquired one million dollars. Well, we'll get to that at the end of what we're doing. I would buy a million dollar car.
Speaker 1: Good one million solid verbal bufus, and we have all of the future's bets atter disposal. For the upcoming twenty nineteen college football season. There are some game lines, specific game lines that have been released, at least according to bettonline dot Ag. We've also got some Heisman odds. We've got some over undertotals for teams out there. We're not going to be going through all of them, but we're going to be going through the ones that we feel most confident about. So I've got a list here. You've got a list there. Neither you nor I have examined the other's list, but we solicited a couple answers out there on Twitter. Some of them actually coincide with mine. I'm sure yours as well, So Danielle tell me by away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was definitely inspired last night when watching James holdshawer Holts Tower. Yeah, yeah, I'm jeopardy because he's at one point four million, so he's over a million. He's a professional sports gambler. He wagers for a living. And this was when we were texting about what we were going to do today, so it all clicked for me. So we're going to compare notes by the end of the year and see who's done more with their million dollars. I'm going to start with the lowest. So all I said was, and I posted this on Twitter as well, is each bet has to be at least one hundred thousand dollars. Now you have a bunch there, and I don't think you've determined your denomination.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be making this up on the fly, but I like the cut of your jib. Here.
Speaker 2: We're whales here, we are really going for We are big spenders. Each bet has to be over one hundred K, and we have to make at least five of them. You can decide how you're going to spend your money and how you're going to separate it all out as we do it. I guess I'll start with my lowest bet, which is the minimum one hundred k. I actually have two hundred K bets. The first sam Ellinger plus sixteen hundred to win the.
Speaker 1: High you dog, I have it on mine too.
Speaker 2: Forty one. I believe forty one total touchdowns last year. Promising young receivers Colin Johnson returns Van DuVernay, you know, has potential as a burner, and they're getting better at running back and defensively they take a step back. It looks like in the secondary. I love their safeties, but corner a little inexperience, so they could get torched a little bit in the Big twelve. Could get some shootouts on our hands and they and they keep giving the ball to Sam Ellinger in the red zone, so he's vulturing. So the numbers are going to be there. You can get to fifty this year.
Speaker 1: I like this a lot.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't turn the ball over either.
Speaker 1: I like this a lot. See here's my problem. By the way, there's not much value right now in the heisman market. And I'm not exactly a shark, whatever a pro gambler is considered.
Speaker 2: I'm not sharp shark.
Speaker 1: Yeah sharp, yeah, thank you, sharp, not shark. There is not a lot of value in the heisman market right now. No, it's tough to bet the Heisman because there's always so many different names. Right now, the favorite is Trevor Lawrence. He's about three and a half to one, and there's some other names that, of course you'll recognize that are in pretty close proximity. Tua is up there as well, Jake fromm I saw as on the list. You can guess who is on that list. The only one that I saw, as you did as well, is that Sam Ellinger is at sixteen to one and probably I think the most valued of all those in terms of odds.
Speaker 2: So what conferences the last have the last two Heisman winners come from?
Speaker 1: They've come I was gonna say Oklahoma, but the answer is the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: They've come from the Big Twelve. And I guess it looks like what I'm counting right now on the show one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, Eight of the last nine have played what position?
Speaker 1: Quarterback?
Speaker 2: That's true, This is absolutely true. So sam Ellinger I think is decent value. I think he's right at sixteen to one is what Justin Herbert is getting as well. I'd rather take Ellinger here.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree, Okay, So here is the way this is going to work.
Speaker 2: And has a chance and has that big big September matchup to really get them square in the crosshairs of the HeiG Heisman committee hosting LSU.
Speaker 1: So we're going to write these down to keep track of this on my notepad and hopefully I can throw it over the fence to our good friends on the subreddit and they'd be willing to track these over the course of the calendar year for us.
Speaker 2: Are you going big with this bet?
Speaker 1: By the way, I think I'm gonna go real big with this bet, so WHOA. I want you to keep something in mind. When I'm looking at team win totals, when I'm looking at over unders, I'm not so much looking at what happens if it all goes right for a team right, I'm looking at a schedule, and I'm trying to come up in my head with what could all possibly go wrong? And even in the worst possible instance, will this bet lose? I have Oklahoma State over six wins.
Speaker 2: It does seem low.
Speaker 1: It seems extraordinarily low, which does frighten me a bit. But in order for that bet not to win or at least push Mike Gundhy is going five and seven and he's not going to a bowl game for the first time in the last fourteen years. He's made thirteen consecutive bowl games. The only year he was head coach at Oklahoma State that he didn't make a bull was his very first season. So I feel pretty confident that he's going to find a way to cobble it together. There is clearly some concern the over under is very low, but six wins Dan, six wins feels more than attainable to me for Mike Gundy. He's got the track record. I am going to go large with two hundred K on this one.
Speaker 2: Whoa Okay, Oregon State, McNeice and Tulsa and the non con So we're saying three and zero pretty confidently going into the Texas game in Austin. So they have to go four and five in Big twelve play for this to hit.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: That seems very attainable, especially when you have you have Peter Hoffman's Sean Gleeson's Oklahoma State offense. That's right. That's a very obscure reference, but shout out Peter Hoffman, who got He's approaching McKissick. He is approaching mckissions in terms of valued verballer apps.
Speaker 1: We need a sound though we can't use the mckissicks.
Speaker 2: Sound no, no, no, We'll come up with something new which would have worked well for the Cowboys. But oh well, I.
Speaker 1: Have an odea. We'll talk after the show.
Speaker 2: All right, I am with my first win total. I'm going Nebraska with So you're going over Oklahoma State. I'm gonna go with a former Big twelve opponent of Oklahoma State, Nebraska. I'm going under eight wins, staying on brand. So that's plus one ten so not huge, huge plus number, but you're getting plus money. So bet one hundred, get one hundred and ten back. I'm going with one hundred and twenty five k on this whoa, So not huge money, but since you went over there to the win totals, Nebraska has still a tricky schedule coming off of the season which certainly was moving in the right direction, but defensively they had some very rough moments. They've got Colorado, they have Northern Illinois. Northern Illinois new head coach, but I think Callo is going to be okay, especially early on. They have I think arguably either the best if you don't think Jerry Judy is as good as Labisca chanlt or second best receiver in the Country. They have Ohio State and that's the only one of the really big four or five whatever. They have Wisconsin later on in the season. But going through their schedule, they have Ohio State, they go two Minnesota and improving Minnesota, they host Wisconsin, and then they finish with obviously, as they do every year, Iowa. It's a lot. When I went through this schedule and I didn't do best case, I didn't do worst case. I was seeing six or seven, which is still really nice improvement. Great, But I'm going to take the under of eight for Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm betting one hundred and twenty five k on that at plus money.
Speaker 1: I think it's good value, decent value. Okay, moving on, let's do another over under. Dan. I'm going to play the sound here because I'm feeling saucy again, continuing with my thought from earlier. Yeah, I'm looking at Clemson's schedule this year, and I am not seeing any losses on this schedule. Now, what's interesting to me, like Washington from a few years ago, right right, that's part of the issue. Yeah, they're overunder is eleven, which means that in order for this bet to try it, really it's eleven. Wow. In order for Clemson to truly lose this bet, in order for you to actually lose your money and not just tie, they need to go ten and two. Yeah, so worst case scenario if they lose one game, you don't win any new money, but you don't lose the old eleven wins.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 1: Okay, eleven wins is the overunder. And here is what their schedule looks like. They got Georgia Tech at home. They've got A and M at home. Second week of the year. Should be an interesting game, maybe more of a measuring stick for A and M than Clemson.
Speaker 2: But I believe Georgia Tech that game kicks off the ACC network their existence ACC app State did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're at Syracuse a week after A and M, which could be interesting. Carrier Dom Charlotte, then they're at North Carolina. Then there's a bye before Florida State at home. Mind you at Louisville home against Boston College home against Wafford, at NC State home against Wake, then a bye before they get to their road tilt against South Carolina. I don't see two losses on that schedule for Clemson, not with all they've got coming back, Not with Trevor Lawrence on the roster, So I feel pretty good about that. I am gonna say one fifty, one hundred and fifty large on Clemson over eleven wins.
Speaker 2: So what you're basically banking on here if you feel that confident is they're gonna pull Trevor Lawrence as soon as they go up twenty seventeen in some of these games. Because if Trevor Lawrence goes.
Speaker 1: Down twenty to seventeen, no they're not.
Speaker 2: I'm saying up seventeen or twenty points.
Speaker 1: Continue, yes, continue.
Speaker 2: The margin is seventeen or twenty points because I don't is it's still Chase Bryce behind Trevor Lawrence. Will further investigate, but yes, the depth there isn't where say last year with with Tua and having Jalen Hurts behind him. So that's a concern. The two losses are really hard to find. You really have to squint, you gotta swin to find. You gotta maybe look for a weird I mean, it's the carrier in A and M It's September is the tough month.
Speaker 1: September's tough, the carrier domes weird. Maybe Louisville week after Florida State.
Speaker 2: No, I don't see that, And I mean Louis's probably better than they're better than the record in nu keiats. It's a and M syracusan to me. South Carolina who moved the ball really well at times, just getting blown out last season, but they're not losing two of those. I don't see it. So it feels pushy to me. So if you'll stay away ish to me. But I get it now.
Speaker 1: I should also add that the line here, the money line is you've got it at minus one forty, which means that if I'm betting one hundred and fifty k on this, I'm not getting.
Speaker 2: No, you're not get much.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting as much in return. But you know what, if the minimum is one hundred and I can still get a lot in return, I'm gonna take that.
Speaker 2: That's right. No, that's a good amount of college.
Speaker 1: Let me go one more time here, let me take one more spin on the over underwheel. If I could, I just invented an over underwheel there, and I hope that's okay.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about let's talk about Florida State. Also in the ACC Florida State's over I'm ready is seven and a half now. Look listen, I know it didn't go well for Florida State a year ago, but over seven and a half means that they need to get to eight wins. They can lose four games on their schedule, and here's what their schedule looks like. First and foremost, a neutral syche game, but more of a home game really when Boise State comes into town Week one in Jacksonville, sort of a home game.
Speaker 2: A home game it is.
Speaker 1: We've got the ULM Warhawks at Virginia, at Virginia Louisville, NC State, at Clemson, at Wake QS Miami, Boston College, Alabama State, and at Florida. A decidedly more difficult schedule than what we just saw from Clemson. Not trying to not Clemson, but I think that's a much more difficult schedule. Do you think Florida State loses more than four of those games? It seems like it's a good number, but more than four seems like a stretch, especially after things win a South as they did a year ago. For Willie Taggert, I think he gets them back on the straight and narrow and at eighty four should be more than attainable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have Kendall Briles. How can you not nice, straight and narrow. So Boise, Clemson, Miami Florida, Syracuse are you're if they're going seven and five and what that would go under?
Speaker 1: That would go under?
Speaker 2: Yes, those seem like the most obvious with what Syracuse did to them last year. Granted it was in the Carrier Dome. Miami Florida and Clemson have comparable, if not superior, talent, and Boise State has even though they definitely struggled last year against Oklahoma State, they have acquitted themselves relatively well against teams that are clearly more talented than them, which Florida State is, and especially getting them. I think that's still in August, so you can pencil in six and six pretty not confidently, but it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Givee eight and four. Wow, Okay, right now it's at seven and a half. I'm going to take the over at minus one ten.
Speaker 2: So which of those? So you you think Boise's a win, then I assume, well, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know which one's will win. Okay, I'm gonna take you.
Speaker 2: Have them beating Boise or Syracuse.
Speaker 1: You have to essentially, yes, Yeah, I think I think they can beat Boise in Week one. Boise's got some of their own turnover that they need to deal with. Uh, But you know, I mean there, Look, where Florida State's coming from is obviously very different from where Clemson's coming from. There's a game on the road Week three at Virginia. Who knows what happens in that game, all right, Virginia had some stuff to.
Speaker 2: Do the history of there losing to Virginia and Charlottesville, all right.
Speaker 1: So there are more games on this schedule that frighten me clearly than on the Clemson side. But I still feel like Florida State's got so much talent. Willie Taggart still a good coach. Last year didn't go well. He spent a considerable amount of energy in the offseason trying to retool things. Added a little bit of depth at quarterback with Hornybrook. Please don't make me go into that discussion again, Alex Horneybrook.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Blackman or Hornybrook, yep. Or they get a Louisville waiver maybe from there the transfer from Louisville, who knows.
Speaker 1: Look, last year, I said Florida State was going to go six and six, and I hedged because I didn't feel good about it, but it ended up being mostly right. This year. I look at the team. I like the talent. The schedule doesn't set up like the easiest schedule in the world, but I do believe in Willie Taggart and the talent they've got in Tallahassee. So I'm going over. I'm going over. I'm gonna I believe less one hundred k. That takes me up to four hundred and fifty K in total bets here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my Sam sam Ellinger bet was one hundred. My Nebraska under was one twenty five. I have usc over seven and a half wins really at plus money plus one thirty, so about one hundred get one hundred and thirty back. I only have one hundred K there. But in this situation, I'm betting on talent. Even though I'm never a believer in the Hail Mary coordinator higher to fix. You know, I am still scarred from the Brady Oak era, and I think Graham Harold's a lot more talented with offense than Brady Hope loves with defense. But I am a believer in JD. Daniels JT. Daniels taking a step forward, even though the team necessarily didn't necessarily want him starting last year. I think the players seem to want Sears if I remember correctly, rather than J. T. Daniels stepping in based on camp, but usc it's one of tricky September Fresno State, Stanford BYU Utah. But I still really like the talent, especially upfront on defense with how they've recruited down recruiting class this year, for sure, but upfront they still clancy Pendergast. I still like them at receiver, even though they're thinner there. I think there's still enough talent in a downpack twelve. They have the Utah than at Washington and then a bye week and then at Notre Dame. Stretch for sure, tricky, but if you're betting on up side and you're getting plus money the back half of their schedule, they have essentially one and a half pretty good teams in Oregon and ASU. I don't consider Cal to be a full team. So them going eight and four and losing to say, Fresno, Stanford, Utah, Notre Dame, I think it's possible for sure. Okay, I think they can beat Oregon, they can beat Cal UCLA Arizona State, Colorado, Arizona. They can beat Washington. We don't know what's going with Washington's quarterback situation. So I am and UA loses a ton on defense. I think just in terms of value, it's pretty decent.
Speaker 1: All Right, So you're saying eight and four at minimum correct? Here is the operative question? Then, yeah, eight and four. Is Clay Hilton back in twenty twenty?
Speaker 2: No he's not. Yeah, I agree, he makes less money or he actually he probably is in a great situation with his buyout. But I definitely make pretend mine to hear.
Speaker 1: All right, before we go any further, Dan, Yes, let's talk.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your new luggage.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am ready to do this. Yes.
Speaker 1: Away Away offers high quality luggage at a much lower price by cutting out the middleman and selling directly to you. You can choose from nine colors and four sizes. They've got to carry on, the bigger carry on, both of which, by the way, are compliant with all major airlines US airlines. I should add they've got the medium in the large, so very literally named. All suitcases are made with premium German polycarbonate, which is lightweight and unrivaled in strength and impact resistance. They've also got three hundred and sixty degrees spinner wheels, which are guaranteed for a smooth ride. Oh, try it for one hundred days, and if at any point you decide it's not for you, you can return it for a full refund. Dan no questions asked. Full disclosure. Solid Wife Kate has two away bags in the room adjacent to the studio.
Speaker 2: Here already did before they even became a partner with the Solid Phal.
Speaker 1: True story, before they ever became a sponsor.
Speaker 2: Big traveler, Solid Wife Kate.
Speaker 1: She's traveled a lot for her mysterious day job, and we've got two away bags next door.
Speaker 2: Before she's head of NBA Officiating.
Speaker 1: Before she went on a recent international business trip, she demanded that we get another away bag for her for her travels, and we did because she's enjoyed it so much. So so I've seen her enjoy it, yep, And I believe you've got one as well.
Speaker 2: I do now have one, and I wish I had it sooner because I just traveled with the Solid Baby and Jody with and I to both California and to Chicago on the the grandparent and family and friends tour meeting the Solid Baby. But because I work on the Solid Verbal and I work on the new show, I do sports Wars and am recording constantly. I actually brought out my newish little mixer and my microphone, my big microphone sometimes I use a travel microphone. So I had my full podcast setup and I was stuffing it inside of towels and sweatshirts whatever, just paranoid because we were checking that bag that it was going to be thrown around, and I have, you know, I've had it for a while, a softer cloth suitcase, so I was a little bit worried about this is an expensive mixer. I want to sound good. I want everything to work out, especially since I had to do so much work while I was on the road. And as soon as I got my away suitcase, I was so thankful and grateful that to have a hard shell when traveling with expensive audio or electronic gear, it's such a peace of mind, and I'm so excited. And then not to mention, it has the bill in USB charger that's right, that's right into the suitcase. So when you're sitting around delayed and your phone's dial dwindling down battery wise, you can just plug that sucker into your suitcase and boom red to green, no problem.
Speaker 1: It charges your cell phone. Sleek and ultra durable material. It's an internal design that helps keep items neat and organized, and.
Speaker 2: You lock it up.
Speaker 1: You can lock it up. Twenty dollars off a suitcase is what you can get right now if you go to away Travel dot com slash solid and then use the promo code solid during checkout. That's Away Travel aw A Y T R A V E L all one word Away Travel dot Com slash Solid. Use the promo code solid for twenty bucks off a suitcase. Dan.
Speaker 2: It's such a smooth ride too. I'm I don't love traveling, especially now that I have a gosh solid baby's three months old, but this kind of gets me excited to go back back in the air.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're not implying that you're putting the baby in the suitcase, right.
Speaker 2: I can either confirm nor deny that's not Dare you question all parenting styles are different?
Speaker 1: That is not listed on their benefit sheet here that they provided.
Speaker 2: Just define high baby's not meant to travel in a wast suitcases.
Speaker 1: Also Dan very quickly. We talked about this last week. Important safety message. If you're ever stopped at a railway crossing, some of you out there might be right this very minute. You got the crossing signals flashing, you don't see the train. Maybe it's a slow moving train. You're thinking you can get across the tracks before the train comes. Think about this alone. In twenty eighteen, two hundred and seventy people were killed at railroad crossings. It's horrible. Two hundred and seventy.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 1: The message to you is very simple, stop because trains can't. That's from our good friends over at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Dan nitz.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you I love stopping in plenty of time for a train. I'm being very serious right now. I love a good stop before the train because when the train starts coming by, chugging by. I don't know if that's the correct verb anymore, sure, but you get to say the same thing to yourself every time. If it's not a passenger, if it's not like an Amtrak or something, you get to say, I wonder what they're hauling. I wonder what's going Probably some lumber lumber. Yeah, I don't know. That's what I just assume, but yeah, I like to I like a good long view of a train.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, I'm gonna move on. Okay, I don't mean to cut you off.
Speaker 2: You ever take any long train rides there? Ty, No, I haven't, really, no, never have. I think I've mentioned this before, but nine to eleven happened right before I was supposed to fly to Eugene, Oregon to go to college. All flights grounded. Had to take a train to college long ride in southern California.
Speaker 1: As a long ride, it could have been a.
Speaker 2: Lot more uncomfortable. I had a good time on that train.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on. I'm gonna give my fourth bet for oh, y'all h my ears, Dan, I don't want to jinx your team at all, but let's go Oregon plus one at usc OH November the second. I don't hate that this seems like an egregiously low line. I'm not saying it's going to get to ten, but at one point it's basically a pick them. At this point in the season, and especially in light of so many of the questions we have about USC, they could go eight for they could hit your over under and still very well lose this game at home to Oregon. Oregon, by the way, is one of those teams in the PAC twelve North that stands a pretty good chance at making a run at least at the North, sure certainly at the PAC twelve. And who knows, they were a trendy pick a couple months ago as a dark horse playoff team. We could debate the merits of that, but they've got a pretty good team coming back and only a one point favorite against the USC team. By that point, it'll be late in the year. Hopefully Clay Hilt will have some of their issues sorted out. But there just isn't a whole lot to give you the warm fuzzies that they're gonna be able to beat a team like Oregon. So I feel pretty good about Oregon. Plus one, it's on November the second. I'm going to go one hundred and fifty k on that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, Oregon's in a good position to travel well, which they didn't last year. And then Justin Herbert's getting a lot of the attention and somewhat rightfully so. But they're deep at running back. The offensive line is all super I mean, Pinay Sewell is a true sophomore, but I think the rest of them are fifth year seniors and they're all back from last season, so they have a good chance with a new defensive coordinator to be unpredictable and really good on defense and run the ball really well which typically travels, you know. Respect. So I don't hate that pick at all, especially since USC by what do you say was November second. Yeah, if USC is just an abject disaster, you're not gonna have much of a home field by November twod and Oregon could comfortably win that game. It's not unreasonable.
Speaker 1: You could have interim coach Graham Harrell by that point. Absolutely, you could never know, all right, So I'm in right now, I've got what is this six hundred k in imaginary bets. My hunch is that you've got some big instill on the board.
Speaker 2: I do. My next pick is, I'm getting nine points Auburn at home against Georgia. Nine points. I know Auburn is retooling the linebacking corps, but up front they've got at least a couple first, second, third round lineman and you're you're essentially gambling on either was Joey Gatewood or bow Nicks being pretty good. But you also have the reassurance that it appears that Gus Malson is going to be in charge of the off once again, like he was in the bowl game against Purdue and like he was when Auburn had an offense. And so there is something pretty exciting about plus money. Even though I really love Georgia this year, it's a lot of points for what looks to be another good defense at home in a tough place to play, in a rivalry game, pushing double ditch. I know the comfortable I know the Bulldogs comfortably won last year, but that was in Athens, and that's too many points for me. So I'm I'm gonna comfortably take those nine. And I have that as a buck twenty five as well.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so you're up to five point fifty later on in the season, Yes, in imaginary cullivery.
Speaker 2: And I think that's I believe that's after the two games leading up to it. If you're a body blow believer triple B, the real triple B, that's after Florida and after Miszoo, who gave Georgia some trouble last year. So it's it's a road. It's a road to get to a rivalry game. That's tough.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the what is it second week of the year. Okay, a lot of interesting non conference games in the early part of September, as as always. Really and I looked at this game, I did a double take. I went, I looked at depth charts, I looked at some notes that I've taken here in the infancy of the preseason. I really like Stanford minus two and a half at UCF. It's an interesting matchup. Yeah, I'm sure that it's gonna get a ton of attention because it's a very interesting non conference game. Let's be honest, Stanford is not without some of their own questions. For a long time, one of the biggest strengths for Stanford has been the offensive line in the running game. Yeah, Bryce Love is obviously gone. He's dealing with his own injury issues or trying to come back from injury as he now moves on into the NFL. And I believe Stanford loses something like four or five offensive linemen.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, Walker Little's back. He's probably gonna be a top fifteen pick next year.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're sort of retooling. They also lose our boy jj arthega white Side.
Speaker 2: Did you get that one right?
Speaker 1: So there are a lot of questions on the Stanford side, and UCF will of course be without Mackenzie Milton, who's still recovering from his own terrible injury that we saw towards the end of last season.
Speaker 2: He's not playing in this game.
Speaker 1: He's not playing in It sucks, but yeah, it does suck. Dariel mack will be the quarterback unless he is usurped by one Brandon Winbush or someone else on the roster. But I like Stanford's chances here. I think this is a big game for UCF. It's at is it at home? Where's this game?
Speaker 2: It's in Orlando.
Speaker 1: This game is in Orlando.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: A lot working on the UCF side. But Stanford has been in these games before. I think they can grind it out. I think they can win by a field goal. I think they win by more than a field goal. I really like kJ Costello. I think they win this one going away by seven to ten points over UCF. So I'm going to a let's go one hundred k on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no Whiteside, No, Parkinson that you know they're down there too. They're two big tight ends. Ah, Stanford's a tricky team this year because I love kJ Costello Whiteside and that is his name to me. Yeah, and I still like UCF. I still like Josh Hypel, I still like their ability. Dariel Mack did look, you know, outside of some very certain quarters against LSU, but near the end of the season when he was thrown into duty, he had some huge, huge moments. That's tough for me. Stanford has been a slow starter. If I could bet against them, is there a line for the Northwestern game? Didn't? I know they're at home, so it's not body clock, man. I would love to bet Northwestern in that. So the case against Stanford against UCF, it's also a second straight road game after the USC game, so they could go into LA and beat USC and then you're just prime letdown, potential confident going into Orlando and they have Oregon the following week, I believe. So it's this weird. I wouldn't call it a full let down look ahead Sandwich, but maybe a let down look ahead slow Okay, yeah, because you're going to take UCF on the road. Seriously, of course, So I don't love that as much as you do, is what I'm saying. I'll have to get closer before I fully decide. But that doesn't jump out to me in the way it does Free What.
Speaker 1: Jumps out to me about that game, Then we'll move on. Even though I have real serious questions about Stanford in the trenches, particularly on offense, I still feel like whatever they bring in, whoever their new starters are on the offensive line, they're going to be able to push against UCF. There's been the one knock against UCF. They've gotten better defensively, that's where the real gap still exists. They've been able to outscore teams, but defensively, if you got a ball control team potentially like Stanford who can't control the ball can play their game. I think that works their advantage in a big way here. So one K Stanford minus two and a half second week of the year road tilt against UCF.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got another interesting I'm not going with the road team here, but I've got another interesting line. What do I have this as? I have this as Oh, there's some big money here. You want me to get into this two hundred K pick? Or you want me to get into one hundred and fifty K win total two hundred K. I have Penn State plus four and a half at home against Michigan, and I love home dogs with promising talented defenses. Tyler, you know this about me.
Speaker 1: I do. So.
Speaker 2: This will be the second straight Michigan road game during this part of the schedule, and it's a week before Notre Dame. Not to say this is a letdown look ahead sandwich for Michigan, but it is a week before Notre Dame. And even though Penn State is going through a ton of new faces, new ideas whatever on offense, with new quarterback, new starting running back, you know, trying to get the receiving situation in order around kJ Hammler, I still I'm just going to go with the system that works for me, and that is taking that good talented defense. Penn State by the end of the year looked like they had a what top ten, top twelve defense nationally? That's right, Yeah, it's good enough for me, especially when Michigan loses a ton of pieces on their own defense. So I'm I'm gonna roll with that, especially with the confidence that some of the guys who played in this game the last time it was in Happy Valley. Will be playing with because they murdered Michigan two years ago. Don't look up what happened last year?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Okay, Dan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you feel about that? As somebody closer and like closer attention to Penn State than I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty high on Michigan this year. Now. I did look at that game. I had a hard time pulling the trigger. It was intriguing to me because obviously we've got to think for home dogs in this program.
Speaker 2: Lous money love a home dog.
Speaker 1: I thought about it. I love their defense. I've got some other games here featuring Michigan that I am I would say more strongly considering you look.
Speaker 2: At a week three. I looked at that one as well.
Speaker 1: No, oh, okay, I've got one later in the year that I'm looking at right now. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not. I am going to stay within the state of Michigan. Though. Let's go back to the well and back to September the fourteenth.
Speaker 2: We better do better do sort of.
Speaker 1: Arizona State plus six. They're getting plus odds at plus one oh five, which means again, you put down ten bucks, if you win and you get ten to fifty back, you'd value ASU plus six. Second week of the year at Michigan State. Listen, le, Michigan State could well win this game. There's no at home Sidney Slansing tough place to win. It's at home weird road tilt for ASU. ASU did not let me down. They were not the laughing stock last year that I expected them to be with the new KERM Edwards model of coaching in college football. Actually okay, by and large, right, oh totally.
Speaker 2: I mean they were inconsistent and as soon as they looked good, they kind of looked terrible. But that that'll happen.
Speaker 1: They started out really strongly and then fizzled a little bit. But by and large, is not a bad debut for one Herm Edwards Michigan State. I don't know what happened last year in Michigan State.
Speaker 2: I do couldn't move the ball in the correct direction.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happened in Michigan State last year. Yeah, early season tilt strikes me as an ugly game. Six points is a lot in a game like that where neither team has fully figured themselves out. I'm gonna go ASU one hundred K plus the points.
Speaker 2: So Arizona State. They finished the season really well, actually, so it was really the middle point, the early middle point of the season where they weren't but Herm Edwards and his staff inherited what felt like a seventh year starting quarterback in Manny Wilkins, the clear best receiver who played the entire con the entire year, leaviscu Chnot was the best, but in terms of production wise, Nikhil Harry was that guy. He's no longer there. So offensively, they're gonna look different, and they might be starting a true freshman, a talented true freshman, but a true freshman, nonetheless a quarterback to go against that defense as what's the spread against six and a half seven points, six points? Yeah, it's hard to see Michigan State separating themselves with such a huge, huge margin for them. But gosh, I'm not super crazy about as U yet. I'll need some time to talk.
Speaker 1: Look at this one though, he definitely looked at this one. I know you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, when you have something as inept as Michigan State's offense was last year, that's a tantalizing situation.
Speaker 1: A bet against that's going to be an overlooked game two yeah, in week two, but it's it's an interesting matchup, at least for Thorks like us. I'm up to eight hundred K in bets. All right, I can go one big in or two smalls here to close out our little show.
Speaker 2: So I have three hundred K left. I've got me three fifty. Seven to fifty is what I've got for you. You've I've got seven to fifty left, seven fifty okay, so all right. I've made seven to fifty, so I have two hundred and fifty if my way works out.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I'm not good at math. That's two twenty five, three twenty five okay, So you've got six fifty left.
Speaker 2: I've got six fifty okay math.
Speaker 1: Three fifty left? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sorry, all right, I don't know if you want to play the sound hmm there shots.
Speaker 1: Shoot me straight.
Speaker 2: Then when you got value wise, I don't fully believe this, but value wise I like it. I've got LSU and the under of nine wins, wow, and the under of nine wins. I'm going to Texas. I've got one hundred and fifty k on this YO. So going to Texas Utah State, it won't be as good as they were last probably, but we'll see Vanderbilt's fine on the road. They should win that. But Florida at Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama that's a rough October early November, and they finished with A and M. So best case scenario for LSU, they're getting ten wins probably right they're losing something random and they're losing at Alabama. That's just how it works now, So that's best case. You're beating it by your best case is barely covering this. So I think a medium case is seven and five. A medium case for LSU this year, especially without the heartbeat of their defense from last year, I think they'll still be very good up front. They recruited incredibly well. Their best cover corner from last season.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like Chris Curry and what he might add to the offense, a new running back to run over everybody, but that's tough sledding when you add in that tough non conference game. So I think there's good value you going under nine and going seven to five, eight and four.
Speaker 1: Why do you give me another one? All right? Both have this big one. Give me your big one.
Speaker 2: Two hundred k. So the other pick that I had at two hundred k was Penn State plus four and a half by the way against Michigan. I have Georgia winning the national championship at plus seven hundred seven to one odds right now for Georgia, which I like a lot.
Speaker 1: So you're really high on Georgia. You weren't kidtens.
Speaker 2: So I'm going home with one point four million dollars if this hits.
Speaker 1: I like cut of your jib here how I.
Speaker 2: Really like and I've liked him since since basically the Notre Dame game from his freshman year. I love Jake from I love the recruiting around him, even though they lose key pieces, you know, offensive skill wise and on defense, big cogs. I just the talent level is so high with Georgia that it makes sense to me that maybe Alabama is only an eleven and one team this year, and maybe after two years of just doing something either boneheaded like they did last year or just giving up the perfect play like they did the year before the last play of the game. There's something about this year's Georgia team, the depth, you know, My big thing is quarterback and defense. I like the line in front of Jake from a good deal. I don't. They have Notre Dame at home, I believe, but that's not Week one or two. They have some time to get into a rhythm. They go to Tennessee, which I think is going to be tricky. They go to Auburn in the rivalry game, which not gonna be easy at all. They go to Tech, but this is a good year to get Tech as they rebuild and retool. I like it. They don't have Bama during the regular season and a random crossover they'll have to go through, most likely Alabama in the championship game. And then I just the elite teams in college football don't jump out to me as obvious right now. Who is it in the Pac twelve? Who is it in the Big twelve? I mean, probably still Oklahoma with their recent track record. But you're buying in Jalen Hurts in a new system year one. I think Justin Fields is going to be a clear step back from Dwayne Haskins. I don't think he is a plug and play at all. I think I think you're under selling Dwayne haskins specialness from last year. If you think that, you know the same questions about Michigan still linger. You know, Clemson is the clear, clear, clear elite, But I don't know. I think there's value there plus seven hundred quarterback and defense and talent. Well you know what, Dan and a team that's been there recently. They've been there recently. If you're getting balls, I feel like I got it's not even that balls. Well it's not ballsy, but it's I think the third most likely team.
Speaker 1: It's no, it's it's balls because first off, it's not Clemson er Alabama, and second right, it's two hundred k on seven to one. That's a sure thing they're correct. So if you're doing it, I'm gonna do it too. I'm gonna break my own rule here. You've taken me off my game. Wow, I'm gonna go two hundred large on Trevor Lawrence to win the heis minute three and a half to one. Now he is the favorite. I also openly hate the Heisman Trophy.
Speaker 2: But you like earning money.
Speaker 1: I like earning money, especially fake cliverbal bumps. Yeah, but if I win, if I hit this one with my two hundred K, that I'm putting on it, that would essentially amount to what seven hundred k?
Speaker 2: The math checks out three and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would fund some of the other losing bets that I have most assuredly made. Trevor Lawrences. I have been high on Trevor Lawrence ever since he was recruited. There was a moment, a brief moment towards the beginning part of last year where I wasn't sure, but then second half the season he clearly found his own. The playoff against Notre Dame, I'm not going to say was a coming out party, but it was certainly the biggest game we had seen him play in his young career, and he didn't miss a beat. They killed Notre Dame in that game, and then they killed Alabama in the National Championship. He left me so impressed. The only thing stopping him from winning more national championships or the Heisman Trophy, especially with his receiving corps that he's got coming back in twenty nineteen, is probably an injury and no one's rooting for that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely correct? Is there? I mean, I'll have to think about it and go back. Is there a better duo right now than t Higgins? And Justin Ross No, I mean individually, maybe Laviska Shenault and Jerry Judy are there.
Speaker 1: No, And then when you factor in Travis Etn out of the backfield, who is also also on that list of Heisman front runners, it's just a murderer's row of offensive weapons for Trevor Lawrence. He's going to have a great support system around him. Three and a half to one. Not the best value for the Heisman, granted, certainly not as good as value as Sam Ellinger. I think I talked myself off Trevor Lawrence earlier, but now that I see you get in ballsy with it. Two hundred K for me on Trevor Lawrence to win the Heisman Trophy and that takes.
Speaker 2: So you also have a new look starting defensive line. I know they rotate in a ton, so a new look starting defensive line, and some key defensive pieces from last year also have moved on. They're not dead, they're just graduated or moved on to the NFL. We could see more. Oh, it's thirty four twenty one halfway through the fourth where it would have been thirty four to seven poll Trevor Lawrence last year. So there could be some stat padding, you know, to get an extra eighty three yards laid and touchdown, you know, get an extra twenty seven yards on a scramble out of bounds, something like that. That it makes sense. I don't think they're going to be super aggressive with him because of the quarterback depth. Like I said earlier, I think he gets old entirely possible. But even still, if his efficiency is you know, if he's eleven yards per attempt and he's you know, throwing touchdown pass is at an impressive clip, as long as the right people know that, he should be fine. The thing is, Kyler Murray had enough shootouts last year that his efficiency and his total numbers covered all bases. And hopefully that's the case with Trevor Lawrence. I hope he has just a crazy good year, and I think the remake of this this Clemson the remade element of this Clemson defense will help him.
Speaker 1: To your point, though from earlier, eight of the last nine Heisman trophies have gone to quarterbacks. Yep, outside Trevor Lawrence and two a tongue of II loa tonge, you're looking at guys like Jalen Hurts. I don't know if he's a Heisman caliber quarterback, but.
Speaker 2: He's in a Heisman situation.
Speaker 1: He's in a Heisman situation. I still feel better about Trevor Lawrence. You're looking at Jake from who's a very good quarterback in his own right, but probably won't have the stats of either Trevor Lawrence or Tua right, and then outside maybe Sam Ellnger or Boy or Justin hurt Herbert your boy. It ain't going to Ian Book, doug Hey, Khalil Tate's still around. Khalil Tate's still around. We got some names on here that are interesting, but I don't think any rise to that level. So give me Trevor Lawrence three and a half to one.
Speaker 2: God so boring, I'm looking. I'm gonna give you another name just because got it. Kelly Bryan at Maszoo. I don't really fully see it. No, with that Ian Book now.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to go Adrian Martinez. The problem with Adrian Martinez, though, is that Nebraska would need to be at least something of a contender to get real consideration for Amart and I don't see that happening.
Speaker 2: That's tough. Well, I mean, the defense could be kind of a disaster, but which would mean a lot of like fifty to forty seven type games, I guess, but that would require the other Big Ten team to score them many points. Jonathan Taylor. I think there's decent value if the quarterbacks are all sort of mushed together and they're all pretty good, but nobody is a spark Jonathan Taylor. If he goes for over two thousand yards or and does something. I mean he's not in the return game, but if he is, that's sort of like, yeah, Derek Henry candidate, where this's just not a good quarterback year, seeing Wisconsin's pretty good and he just goes for twenty three fifty.
Speaker 1: If I could get like ten to one odds fifteen to one odds on Rondale Moore going to New York being partner the ceremony, yeah, that is a bet that might interest me. But at thirty three to one to win it with all the AMMO in front of him, it ain't happening.
Speaker 2: I saw Notre Dame and I think it's nine and a half right over under win total. Yes, how did you feel about that? Because it was interesting to me because I, on one hand, I feel like they are built to They've had so much regular season success, but they lose what the premier dude at every level on their defense. They lose what Julian Love and Drew Tranquill and Jerry Tillery like big, big deal names for Notre Dame's defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at the schedule now. Yeah, the Georgia game terrifies me, as a Michigan game on the road terrifies me. And Stanford on the road last game of the year should concern every Notre Dame Fame because they always yeah, yeah, when it's in pala Azto, for sure, they always sleeves that freaking game. So this is not the schedule we saw last year. This is a much more difficult schedule. The road tilts at Michigan and Georgia are going to be bloodbass. Plus you've got a game in there against usc m H. You got a game in there against Virginia Tech. I don't know if Virginia Tech's gonna look like this.
Speaker 2: Are they going to start Braxton Burmeister? Is that what I am understanding at this moment.
Speaker 1: I hope not, But I would enjoy saying the name again.
Speaker 2: I would love if he's just awesome. That'd be such a cool story. Maybe just Oregon just wasn't for him, and he's just he finds himself in Blacksburg.
Speaker 1: Who knows there's a sneaky Virginia game in here nine and a half right now.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that Virginia game. If Notre Dame beats Georgia in Athens losing a.
Speaker 1: Virginia huge letdown game, I would be inclined to say nine to three at this point. I would not want to touch.
Speaker 2: That slight under.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would not want to go over nine and a half.
Speaker 2: So Georgia, Michigan, Stanford. Yeah, they've got BC the week after Navy, which is your other traditional big fear game, so no week off there. I was looking at Wisconsin. Wisconsin's plus money at home. I believe they're at home against Michigan this year, and that is after Michigan plays Army. But Michigan has a bye week. So that's the only reason I didn't go with that. All right, So here's what we got.
Speaker 1: You've got stem Melinger at sixteen to one to win the Heisman, Nebraska under eight wins USC over seven and a half, Auburn plus nine against Georgia. Penn stayed at home plus four and a half against Michigan LSU under nine wins, and then to close it out your dogs at seven to one to win the national championship. For me, I've got Oklahoma State over the win totally six wins. I've got Clemson over eleven wins. I've got Florida State over seven and a half wins, Oregon plus one over USC Stanford minus two and a half on the road second week of the year over UCF. I've got Arizona State also second week of the year plus six at Michigan State. And then to close it out, got ballsy, but not all that ballsy, going with Trevor Lawrence two hundred k three and a half to one to win the Heisman Trophy.
Speaker 2: Not balls at all. You went with the favorite, not balls at all. Can I tell you something that has been buzzing me for weeks please, and it's solid verbal related. Before we got I do it, you did not do it at all. I neglected to include something on our Hot and Bothered episode. Yes that every time I think about it, because there's a file on my computer. We don't need to play the file. But our Hot and Bothered episode was basically game things, something that happens. Sorry, thank you. So that's great game things that we just get excited about. We just like it could be happening in any game. And if it happens, whether it's you know, a defensive back celebrating after giving up a twenty three yard huge pass but he has a huge hit, that's just like, it's so fun and ridiculous. How can you not love it? Some of them are genuine, some of them are sort of petty, like that mine is genuine. And I forgot to mention when a team has fourth in inches in an enormous moment and they line up in some sort of jumbo package, like they have two defensive linemen in as fullbacks whatever, and they're just going to do everything possible to get those you know, that foot and a half whatever it is, and they do. They play action and somebody's wide open behind the defense's cover zero or something, and it goes for like a seventy one yard play, the James Brown play. Do you remember this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And the Big twelve Championship ever, way way back when was so so damn great that I went back and watched the clip a million and a half times and that to me when a team just has giant, giant kohones in a spot like that. Sometimes the naked bootleg, that's great, like when Alex Smith did it against I think it was the Saints in the playoffs in the NFL. That's pretty great. But that little pass, that little flick when it looks like they're just going to throw ten thousand rhinos at the line of scrimmage. Yeah, that's my favorite thing. That's my favorite favorite thing. And I forgot to mention that during the show, and I wanted to make sure everybody knew just how hot and bothered that made me think it was against Nebraska, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I also have one. Okay, wow, it's not nearly a spicy I've actually been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now. M It's an aesthetically pleasing thing to me.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fine.
Speaker 1: Tiger Stadium at LSU, yep, they have the numbers every five yards instead of ten.
Speaker 2: I do like that.
Speaker 1: It's just different. It's unique.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot. And you know what else I like about the field. If we're going to talk about the field at Tiger Stadium and Death Valley, I love how the middle of the field is that I I have the Tiger, but.
Speaker 1: With a little Grady and effect on it. It's nice.
Speaker 2: They blended so well. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I need to know how they do that.
Speaker 2: I have to think about my favorite fields in a pretty serious way because I fancy myself a college football Do you want to do.
Speaker 1: Our favorite fields episode?
Speaker 2: We could do, God, just just a full episode dedicated to aesthetics.
Speaker 1: We could get it.
Speaker 2: Yes, we can get a audience show.
Speaker 1: We could get people on this show that would actually that's true a conversation.
Speaker 2: I think LSU has my favorite field, but I'm gonna have to give it. I'm not willing to fully commit to that, all right. I love I love the every five yard things. That's a great call.
Speaker 1: Every five yards. The checkerboard at Neiland Stateiu's pretty cool too, But I'm rewatching.
Speaker 2: So as I described they call it role left. This huge play, there are two, not one, but two fullbacks in for Texas. Every single member of the Nebraska defense is within Let's see, the safety is about four yards back, so the safety is barely in at a linebacker depth, and James Brown rolls out but doesn't even really sell the handoff, rolls away from his strong side. And when got number eighty two, I apologize for not knowing who caught this pass. When he catches it, he's lidecying Nebraska. There is not a Nebraska player in the frame. Nebraska is the field goal block. They essentially went with the NC doble, and you know, good for Nebraska. I think they got him down around the five yard line. Ten yard line, so great, But man was out a thing. Whenever somebody gets lidcied, it's beautiful, all right, Well it was bothering me.
Speaker 1: Soliverbo at gmail dot com is as always the email address. Don't forget to follow us if you haven't already on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram, and if you're really into the show, really into the show, going out to Reddit dot com slash Yeah, slash solid. It is started by it is run by our favorite verballers. We pop in from time to time to say hello yeah, and of course you want to get more info on the forthcoming shirts and all the other cool stuff we're cooking up. Going out to the site at soliverbal dot com. Fill out the form join our newsletter of intent. We promise not to spam you, Daniel. That's all I got man all right, same here, fun show tonight. Yeah, I will do my best to try and list out these picks somewhere. Surely no one really cares other than us.
Speaker 2: Let's see who makes more money, though, But let's.
Speaker 1: See who makes more fake, solid verbal dollars For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein. For myself, I'm Tie hilden Brand over here in eastern Pennsylvania. Will catch you all next week. In the meantime, stay solid, hey,