Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh let's kiss you. Hi am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi everyone, this is Susanne. We're doing a quick episode of Stars Hollow Journal Happy New Year from the Warner Brothers Studio in beautiful downtown Bourbank. Well we're not downtown, but beautiful Burbank, California. It's we're recording this. It's January, first rainy day in Los Angeles. It was really raining this morning on the parade. I felt bad for all the marching bands. But we're getting a break right now. It's cloudy but not raining, so hopefully that holds a little bit. We're sitting here in the in Scott's trailer away eating Scott's arrival for his daily visit to holidays made here, which there's a ton of pictures on social media. It's everybody's having a great time, including us. And yeah, so we're just going to have a conversation here before Scott gets here. So I'm sitting here with my husband John Hello, and he's he's part of the team here. That's just kind of helping with pictures and everything going on with Scott's visits at the at the set, so I thought it would be interesting to have a conversation because one of the things that has struck me. I mean, Gilmore Girls typically is geared to a female demographic across multiple generations, but there's a lot of men that like to watch it too, And I think a lot of men kind of start out just seeing bits of it here and there as their significant others are watching it, but then they end up actually liking the show themselves. Which I don't want to speak for you, so I'll let I'll let you tell your story of Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 3: Yes, that I think is true. I know I've seen the show at least twice through. Now i'd say because of you sounds a little harsh, but uh, I think as a result of your fandom.
Speaker 1: I would say that's accurate, because I do remember the first time I watched it through and I was so completely enamored of it. I was like, you need to sit down and watch this with me because I'm immediately rewatching it and you're gonna do it too.
Speaker 3: So and I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I have enjoyed it. It's it's a fun show to watch. All the characters are great, they're they're hysterical, they're moving there, they're fun. Just to listen to the speech pattern. Everybody talks about how it's so fast, and it is and I don't know how they get through it. Yeah, I would be stumbling over my words like crazy tr oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Scott has talked about how it's just like pages and pages of text. You know, usually a script has like stage directions and things like that, so it you know, the pages don't have a lot of actual dialogue on them. But Gilmour, it was just paragraphs and paragraphs that they had to learn.
Speaker 3: That would be how they people do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so yeah. John is is sort of at the point in his Gilmore Girls evolution where he could quote the show almost as well as I can, and he actually pulls out quotes that I don't even remember, and I'll see, what's that from. He's like, oh, it's from Gilmore. Like he may not necessarily remember which episode it was, but he knows he heard it somewhere, so he's, uh, I know.
Speaker 3: It's something parasit or something one of the other characters. Necessarily I like to pull off like Kurt quotes and yes, goofy things that you may not remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So it's it's kind of cool, like because a lot of people that were meeting during the meet and greets are talking about how I watched this with my mom and my grandma and my daughter, and but there's a lot of there's a lot of couples that are watching it too, which I think doesn't get talked about that often. But it's it's pretty cool, like everybody can enjoy the show, and we are seeing here at the event, we're seeing a lot of you know, spouses or you know, boyfriends, whatever, partners that you know, they want to get their own picture with Scott because they're just as much a fan, you know, as whoever they got dragged to the event with. So so yeah, it's just been fun to watch. I think it may have been talked about in a different episode, but there was a social media video of I think it was the first day, a whole group of men in plaid shirts and backwards baseball caps that were waiting outside the women's room for their for their friends to come or their partners to come out, and it was just really funny that there were all these lukes sitting there outside the lady's room. So yeah, I think the character of Luke specifically resonates with lot of people, like I don't see I don't see any Jesses walking around or any max Is certainly no Christopher's. But yeah, I think I think that that people like the Luke character and everybody's you know, happy to come in and uh take the picture with Scott and and there was I was going to talk about the rest room. So the restrooms. On the first day, the lady's room had a huge line, which you know, is we're all used to that. And so then the next day they had converted the men's room to a women's room and they brought in porta potties, so the men had to use the porta potties.
Speaker 3: Three outside for the men and now the women's rooms two actual restrooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it works, And yeah it did cut down the line.
Speaker 3: I have no issues with that. Yeah, that was pretty.
Speaker 1: Another thing that really has struck me just being at the meet and greets is how like where people have traveled from. We are meeting people from all over the country and all over the world. And when I was here the other day there Scott was talking to a group that had come from Italy and the group of people standing next to him was from Poland, Like, it was just insane. And you met Elaine, you met people yesterday from the UK. We've met people from Canada, Australia, Brazil. I mean, that's it's amazing to me that this little show, you know, it was little at the time that it aired, has just mushroomed into this giant global phenomenon. And you know, people are coming from all literally all over the world to see the set and to meet Scott and to get their picture taken at the gazebo and go see Laurelized house. And it's it's just it's amazing how people have connectedly.
Speaker 3: Incredible to see all these people that have told us that they planned their trip around coming to this event. Yes, it's not like they're doing this because they're already in la right, this was the reason that they have come here. And that's like mind blowing. Yeah, that's the pull of the show, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's and it's crazy. And I'm seeing comments in some of the Facebook groups but also on Instagram where people will post their pictures and then other people will comment saying where is this happening? I need to go to this, like they you know, the word didn't get out to them or whatever, and they're they're saying, Okay, we're doing this next year, and they're tagging their friends saying, we have to do this next year. So it's it's just it's really cool to to have this thing that everybody is kind of bonding over, and it's it's very fun to walk around stars Hollow in the backlot area because everybody is happy to be there, and you know, some things do have some lines, but but you line up and the people that you're standing in front of her standing behind you're all there for the same thing, and you strike up conversations and you get to know people, and it's just it's really cool. It's just a good phenomenon.
Speaker 3: The whole town has done so well. Yes, it really looks like what it did in the show, so you feel immersed in it, right, and the shops are the same, and they rebuilt Miss Patti's and then the tree lighting and the lights of it. It's amazing to walk around. It's beautiful at night to see everything lit up, and people have described it as magical, and it really is. It's amazing to walk around and see that. You got to remember, you're not in a real town, right. This is so well done that it almost looks you feel like, wow, this is a really cool place. I wonder where I can live here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And they've really expanded it this year. So they have on the backside of what we know as stars Hollow High, there's a row of stores back there, and that's where stars Hollow Video is in the show. That's where Western's Bakery is, and they've brought they've recreated all of those, So I hope that when people are here that and they walk into Weston's Bakery, I hope they realize that's the actual room where they shot the Western's Bakery scene. So you can like look around and think, oh, that's where you know, Lauren and Alexis were sitting there when they did this scene. And this is where Alexis and Jared were sitting when they did that scene, and they're yes, just the pie, see he just did it. That's what I'm talking about. So I hope they're appreciating that that, like, these are the actual locations where our favorite stars were sitting when those scenes happened, which is crazy to me. To think about, and that's that's part of the magic of being here at Warner Brothers is this is where it all actually happened, Like these are these are the streets that they walk down, and that's the gazebo they sat in. And some things are recreated, so like the dragonfly is not in the original building because that building doesn't exist anymore and it wasn't even on this lot anyways, it was down the street. But so some things are recreations, but there are you know, a lot of it is where the actual scenes took place in the show. And for me, that's the coolest thing. Like there's you know, various conventions and things all over the country, and you know, if you listen to this podcast, you know, Tara and I went to one back in April that was in Connecticut and it was super fun, Like it's it's really cool to be in a small New England town that looks just like stars Hollow and be with other Gilmore fans. That was a great experience. But it's different to be here where it actually occurred, even though it's not I mean, we're in la it's it's not you know, New England, but it's i don't know. To me, That's what I love about it is that like this is where everything Like you can look at the at your screen and be like, I want down that street. I stood next to that fire hydrant. You know, I got back, Yes, the coffee and luke Bar. Yeah, And that's going back to the thing about Weston's. It's Luke's is the same way, Like you get to go inside Luke's and you're standing there looking around like you know, well, like we were talking to a couple maybe last week sometime, I was thinking about the Thanksgiving episode where they're sitting there and you know, Laurel I takes the marshmallows off of Luke's plate after she sends him to go get more, and you know, this is where the four of that this table right here is where the four of them were sitting having their Thanksgiving dinner. And you know, thinking of all the times that Laurel I and and Rory were sitting at the bar and you know, having something to eat or having some coffee or whatever like that all happened like right in this location. And it's just it's just really cool. So if you ever get the chance to do this, I highly recommend it. And this year the merchandise is off the hook, like there's a crazy amount of merchandise and it's all super cool. And I have basically just emptied my bank account into the Warner Brothers bank account.
Speaker 3: That is the truth.
Speaker 1: And it's just really cool. And you know, all of Scott's products are here. There's there's coffee, there's hot chocolate, there's pancake mix, there's tea, there's jam it's all Scott's products. And I will say the candy cane coffee. So we have, you know the Christmas episode where they wouldn't serve Laurel I candy cane coffee because it was December twenty sixth. You can get candy cane coffee in Weston's Bakery today and it's it's We actually went and bought more, like I had a bag, but we went and bought more because it is. It's really good.
Speaker 3: And there's other those are flying off the shelves.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's yeah, it's just going like gangbusters. They're Also if you're in the LA area and you don't have tickets for the event the studio tour gift shop, you don't need a ticket for you can just park and walk in and shop to your heart's content. And they have the coffees there as well. But so Elean, what are the flavors. There's there's the candy Cane, there's tailors in no ice cream, pecan, yes, Cozy Blend. Yeah, so I have to try that one. I have a bag of the whole being espresso. I have to give that one a shot. Locations, yeah, right, So the the merchandise locations are kind of broken up by themes. So obviously like stars Hollow Video, you can buy Stars Hollow Video t shirts and magnets and things like that. The tea's are available at the Dragonfly, and then outside of Lukes there's a little stand where you can place your order. You can buy the bags of coffee there, and then there's more in Dosi's market, so they're kind of like placed around. And then there's a larger store that's the Mercantile, and that's where there's a ton of Luke's merchandise and also like general Stars Hollow kind of things. And that is if you think of Bootsy's news stand, that is the building where Bootsy's news stand was. So the news stand was actually just in front of the building. It wasn't inside the building, but that's where the merchandise stores. It was also just to go kind of off topic, it was also the cafe in La La Land where I can't remember the character's name where she worked, but Emma Stone. Yeah. So anyways, so yeah, there's just really a lot of ways to spend your money here today.
Speaker 3: I think one of the just to kind of change Topic's one of the fun things that they did this year that I don't remember them doing before is that they've hired actors to play different towns people. Yes, so there's a Michelle, there's Suki, there's the Troubadour, there's different.
Speaker 1: There's a Taylor and a Miss Patty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're in different spots playing those roles, and it's really fun because it adds to the flavor of the town.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you do a really good job of it too. I think that was definitely a good ad because it really does make it feel like stars hollow. They I think everybody probably knows by now. They rebuilt Miss Patti's just for this event, and then they have town meetings going on I think every hour, every half hour something like that. Yeah, and they're led by a Taylor and Miss Patty, and clearly these actors, you know, watch the show or at least parts of it to kind of get in their role, because they really do a good job of picking up those characters. And you know, on occasion, Luke busts into a town meeting with a rant about something and he and Taylor just play off of each other like it's just it's so much fun to watch. And there's you know, a lady sitting outside the knitting store and if you ask her what she's doing, she says, she's she's knitting. She's knitting hats for Lane's twins or something like that. And there's a couple of different troubadours I've seen. I've seen two different troubadours walking around the Suki at the Dragonfly. She she is brilliant. She was really channeling Suki. And then they even have the characters at the in Dosie's Market when we were there, when I was in there on the preview day, Taylor was in there and you know, being Taylor, So yeah, it was it was good. There's just they've put so much creativity into it, and there's there's things, Oh, there's a gypsy too. There's Gypsy over at the at the auto repair. There's things I haven't even seen yet. There's like Richard and Emily's they kind of recreated their dining room and apparently there's one of Emily's maids is in there, so we'll have to go check that out. But uh, yeah, I just hats off to Warner Brothers. It's just been such a fun experience and everybody, without fail, everyone that works here is so nice and they're so helpful, and it's it's I'm sure it's busy and stressful for them, but you would never be able to tell that from your interactions with them, because they are just they seem like they're having as good of a time as everybody else. And their their hospitality towards us has been very appreciated, accommodating, friendly, they've been taking good care of us. So yeah, So any of any final thoughts before we wrap this up.
Speaker 3: No, this has been really fun. There's a lot of it's kind of a drive going back and forth, but it's it's good.
Speaker 1: It's fun because it helps that it's a holiday week so the traffic isn't too bad.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know, it's always funn hang out Scott anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's Scott. Like we said, Scott's gonna Scott.
Speaker 3: Scott's gonna Scott. Johnny good Times that's me. That's my new name. Everybody, Yes, Johnny good Times.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So that wraps it up for this episode of Stars Hollow Journal. Happy New Year, and we'll see you all soon.
Speaker 2: Bye. Hey, everybody, don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore are at iHeartRadio dot com