Speaker 1: What Is Up?
Speaker 2: Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Up Podcast. As you can see, we are joined today by MLB insider Robert Murray, a fan sided. We're gonna be doing a little MLB trade deadline talk. The Mets are gonna be one of the biggest sellers at the deadline, and there's nobody better to bring in than Robert.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: First off, house things been It's been a while since we've had John.
Speaker 3: No, it's it has been a while, but I appreciate you boys having me again. It's it's been relatively quiet, although I will say yesterday I finally got the first time of the entire deadline where I was walking up by a phone call, so that that was always fun. Although I was up until I was up at like one o'clock, did not go back to bed. But as of this point, a lot of teams are limbo, so it's like everyone's asking like, what are you hearing? What are you hearing? And basically what everybody's hearing at this point is teams are waiting until probably next week to determine what direction they go, and then after that all hell could break loose or it could end of being a relatively quiet deadline, and really nobody knows the answer to that as at this point.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and just the way that the playoffs are expanded now, in the way that these wildcard spots, especially in the American League, team as up for grabs as ever, the Red Sox rip off with fifteen in a row put themselves right back in the race. They were supposed to be sellers nationally. The Marlins have now lost nine in a row. They look like they were going to be buyers now. Who knows where they're at. The Orioles are staying in it. There's a lot of teams that are trapped in the middle, but we know one team that's not trapped in the middle is the Mets. And we do wish that we were coming to you with a happier tide things for the trade deadline, But this Mets team is going to sell, sell, sell, sell, So I think the first place we want to go is a place I don't want to be this time, Yere, I didn't want to be here as a Mets fan in general, But there's just so much smoke right now around Francisco. Lindor to the point where it's gotten to an egregious, absurd, ridiculous level. We've spoken about this on our show, but is there any actual relative truth whether or not be the trade deadline or in the offsea until Lindoor waving know trade clause moving on from this money anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've checked on this a bunch, and I don't think a Lindor trade at this deadline is likely at all. I get the impression it's it's really unlikely, and the Mets want to keep him, they want to keep Wan Soto, and obviously there's been a bunch of smoke around their relationship and whether or not it's it's actually in a good place. It seems like it's better, And even Steve Cohen kind of said the same thing when he was on John Hayman's podcast, which is possibly a good sign here for the Mets. But in order for them to be successful, they need to have a good relationship. They need obviously those guys to stay healthy and perform at a high level. Same with Bobaschett here as well. I'm optimistic that they can figure this out, that they can turn it around, but they will not improve from where they're at or become like a legitimate playoff team until those two can figure it out and perform at the levels that they expected because they've invested what three hundred and forty one million in Lindor in almost eight hundred million in Juan Soto, Like, that's that's all. That's a lot of no and you got to making the season here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been talking about how even if there was some truth to like Lindor possibly getting moved at the trade deadline, now one who's gonna then take his money if he's such this undesirable player that you know, people on the social media and stuff would like to say, And then too, how do the Mets even move forward? It just doesn't really make sense for either side.
Speaker 1: A cool play shortstop, who's he actually waving a no trade clause for the whole thing seems incredibly complicated right now.
Speaker 3: No, it's totally complicated. And like, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he just was just wanted to be in New York if I'm being honest, because it's a great place for him to be and he elected to be there when he's signing that mega deal and he knew exactly what he was going to be signing up for. Obviously, when it comes to the Mets, there's going to be Low's and they're currently going through a low right now. But I've not gotten the impression at all that he's like wanted to be out of New York. So I like, again, he controls where he wants to be, and I think he wants to be in New York, and I would just I would be really surprised if he is moved, But I would image there's gonna be plenty of other teams that would also want Lindor on their team, but would probably require the Mets to pay on some of that salary. And I just don't get the impression that's just that's a scenario that's even remotely on the forefront of the Mets' minds.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Well, good, we got that out of the way.
Speaker 2: We don't need to talk about silly Francisco indoor rumors. One guy who's almost guaranteed to not be on the Mets come August fourth, Freddy Peralta. He has been statistically one of the worst pitchers in baseball this year. Some way, somehow, this has happened despite being really good for like the last five years. What can we expect on a return from Freddy Peralta. Are teams really scared off by what he's done so far this season?
Speaker 3: No, I still get the impression is desirable around the league. And obviously you mentioned the past five years when he was in Milwaukee, he was super consistent. He's also one of the best clubhouse guys in baseball, like I was around him when I cover the Brewers and everyone, whether it's players, coaches, front off of scouts like player development like whoever. They love Freddy Peralta. And also too, eight milllion dollar contract for this season, obviously it's gonna be pro rated, makes him super like desirable for teams, so I expect him to be drawing a bunch of interest. I think a return for Paralta could end up surprising some people considering just the overall, just the overall performance that he's had this year, because it's just not been anything close to what he did in Milwaukee. But he like I feel very confident that he is going to be traded. I think there's gonna be a bunch of interest lead widen him, even from teams that could be small market big market, mid market like you name it, his salary and that performance allows every team to be in it. But that being said, I wouldn't expect a return close to what they ended up getting or what they ended up getting to get Paralta. It's not going to be like a Jet Williams and a Brandon Sprout anything like that. But I do expect them to do pretty well here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair on thinking about the money in terms of peralta. That keeps a lot more teams involved invested. I think a lot of times as fans forget that these pro rated salaries are something, I mean money. Both does such a great job of it of describing how much money you're willing to accept. That the deadline for a small market team, and I think that another player who's really at the top of mind for Mets fans his trade deadline season, Luke Weaver, that could possibly work against his market something we're afraid about because Luke Weaver on his twenty one million dollar contract payroll wise was nine and a half million this year, has twelve and a half million next year. Is that second year of his contract non option? Nothing? There a purely guaranteed second year of his contract, could that work against Weaver as a trade candidate this deadline?
Speaker 3: Also, I'll go back to something about par Alta real quick, because I was talking about it with an executive recently and he ended up mentioning to me that you have such a better opportunity or better chance if you're an organization of having ownership approval of adding that salary as opposed to a guy like a Trek scoobl because his salary is so big, it automatically limits the amount of suitors in there. So I'm telling you, I think Paralta, despite that performance, is gonna have a super robust market here for sure. But going back to Luke Weaver, he is I don't think that works against him at all. I think that actually helps the Mets in a potential return because I think teams are going to really want to have some certainty going into next year just considering the overall CBA situation. And it also too like they signed him to that two year contract in the winter. It's looked that's been one of the very rare moves that's actually worked out far. Like props to David Stearns for that, and like that extra year could end up getting them much more in return for him as well. And you look at the rest of the market here, like you have our oldest chabin probably unlikely to go Mason Miller. There's been a bunch of smoke about that. It seems like I'm on an islander where I think that's unlikely. I don't think he's going to be traded unless some team like Knox Ajproler socks off, which I guess you can never really rule that out. So is it possible that Luke Weaver would end up being the best reliever potentially available, So then in that case you can end up having a team blow you away with an offer. And also too, like every contending team is looking for high leverage bullpen like it's crazy, So the Mets could be in a position there to capitalize on Weaver for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something to note. Like with Peralta, how you mentioned before, Robert the money being so cheap. Even like us me and James when we've talked about we've probably missed on the fact that because that contract's gonna be so affordable for every team of the deadline, there actually shouldn't be a single team that wouldn't be interested in bringing him in, and especially when you talk about even just starting pitcher versus reliever like we would for Luke Weaver.
Speaker 3: That's a nice rhyme right there.
Speaker 2: Like he's just he's got more value to teams. He's gonna bring back probably a pretty nice haul for the Mets, which would be shocking based on how we've seen him perform, especially compared to how Luke Weaver's performed for the Mets this year.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's crazy, but it's it's such an opportunity where the Mets. And also like it's not like there's a bunch of guys that are gonna be on this market here either, so like they just have such an opportunity to be here to really cash in. So obviously, like this season's gone to absolute pooh pooh, Like I mean that's by a technical baseball term right there.
Speaker 1: It's gone to shit fair right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But it's like they can take advantage of this thing. They can add people who are close to major league ready, and then they can be in a better position to possibly compete next year. But I think David Stearns has to take a pretty long look in the mirror here and see exactly how he can approve whether it's like, obviously he let go of a lot of that core that he had brought in some new guys and it took a long time for them to gel. But do you change how you view like the injury risk when it comes to free agency through trade, Like, well, there's a bunch of different things that I think he needs to look at because what the season's become is just simply not good enough at all. I have one more thing real quick.
Speaker 2: Do we you mentioned like that you think most teams are probably gonna start to evaluate whether they either buy or sell in the next week or so, like next week, would the Mets have sort of like an advantage of trying to move off from these guys earlier and set the market or you think that they're going to be patient to and wait.
Speaker 3: That's a great question because I've asked teams that are kind of in a similar situation to the Mets, where they like are definitive buyers or definitive sellers, I should say, And it seems like they're just teams currently are just kind of nibbling and seeing exactly what's on the market's what it's going to take. It's kind of in the kicking the tires phase. So maybe there's a team that ends up coming to David Stearns and is like, Okay, like let's get this thing done. We're going to give you exec what you want, and then maybe they pull the trigger on it. But I would expect most, if not all, of the movement to come next week, just because the market seems relatively quiet right now, even more quiet than usual. It's just a very bizarre market overall.
Speaker 4: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about Mintmobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crats, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 5: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 4: You can even bring your current phone and your number if you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's it. There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes, may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage varies. Cementtmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: Was your general sense on the market, even compared to something like last year, where it did take until I think it was like two days before the trade deadline was the Mets made the first move that was that was Tyler Rogers from the Giants. Then everything started kind of trickling down, like forty eight hours in advance. But just the huge cost for starting pitchers last year again, as pertains to Freddie pral To and Clay Holmes, possibly as he comes back from injury, you see possibly getting similar exorbitant prices like even like a Shane Beeper going with like a fringe top bunch of prospects last year when he hadn't pitched in a year. Is it still very starting pitcher crazed and focused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would definitely say that's accurate. It's gonna be very hefty, like the prices here, and we also might have some different guys come on in the market here as well. Obviously we lost Sunny Gray, but we might have like a Kevin Gosman type or a Trevor Rodgers or I mean some different names that are going to be possibly emerging here in the coming days as well. So I think the prices are going to be very high. I think there's gonna be teams, especially the Mets, like to keep it Mets focused, like Clay Holmes, like they don't have to move him, They're going to try to extend him. But from what I'm told, it's unlikely obviously that can change. But they can be in a real position here to capitalize on both. And also like it's not like out of the realm of possibilities that they can trade these guys and then possibly bring them back like we've seen that scenarios happen before. And Paralta has a really good relationship with David Stearns. He's acquired him twice and I don't know if the Mets would be in a hurry to bring him back. I don't know Mets fans wouldn't necessarily like that concerning performance, but like it's possible money talks when it comes to free agency. So like I would imagine you boys would probably prefer to have Clay Holmes come back in for agency. Maybe maybe they can end up trading him and then bringing him back, who knows. I think that should be something we should we should consider here for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean i'd take both back. It's a great time to buy a loan for they prolative. Was he asking for like one hundred and eighty million a few months ago? We're not getting that anymore.
Speaker 3: Than Yeah, I will say, I think that was a bad report. Yeah that's too Yeah, that was yeah. I saw that number, and I'm like, yeah, I was, I didn't think that was right.
Speaker 1: No, it's also like that. I think that's kind of helped him be vilified a little bit by Mets fans as well. You start to pitch mediocrely to start your career with the team, then a rumor leaks out, whether it be true or not, to ask for a monster extension and then you completely shit the bed, Like now you're really Mets fans can't wait to watch that door hit you on the way. Don't give us an excuse to get mad at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mets fans, they can get mad. And I didn't learned something to.
Speaker 1: These Mets fans were now even mad about the possibility of trading Clay homes just because he's become such a fan favorite. And he's a weird case just not pitching since late may coming off like a fair line fracture in his leg. It's weird. But do you do you still get the sense that he has a robust mark as.
Speaker 3: Well, super robust. He is going to have a ton of interest. And I believe he's throwing a rehabs out in today at three innings. Is that right? My days are all scripted. I wasn't sure if today was Thursday, Tuesday, or Friday or whatever it was. But like I can confidently say there are going to be an absolute ton of scouts there, Like people are going to be evaluating that trying to see if he's going to look like a pre injury form, if his stuff is crisp, if he looks like he's one hundred percent and if that is the case, and maybe teams can see him again before obviously the trade deadline and everything, but I would imagine he's going to have a very active market. Like the Mets, they were one of the teams that wanted to convert him to the rotation after being in the bullpen, and that's looked like an absolutely masterful move by that organization. So I give Stern's credit. Like obviously it's like it's easy to beat him while they're down, but he has made some good moves in between Luke Weaver and then also Clay Holmes, like those two have panned out and those two could really stockpile their farm system and have him better prepare for next year as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean for every Clay Homes and Luke Weaver. We remember the other games that.
Speaker 1: It's been such a roller coaster with David Stearns.
Speaker 2: Didn't expect it like this the bullpend though, Mets have so many pieces besides Luke Weaver that are also definitely going to be on the move. Aj Minter Brooks, Raley kind of being a part of that second tier of left handed relievers where you're not a Josh hater, rolled as Chapman type, but you're still very capable yet more, ahone very capable, good baseball player. Is their market super active right now? And what could Mets fans maybe expect back for them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, those two are definitely going to be drawing interests, and I'm pretty confident they've already been drawing interest as team's trying to evaluate who is going to exactly be out there. And obviously you can't trade everyone. I mean maybe you could, I don't know, but I think both of those guys are super desirable because teams are always looking for left handed relievers here, and if you can end up having those two guys, veteran guys who have performed at the major league level, I think that's something that's super valuable there. And I'm glad you did mention Josh Hater. This is a name that I'm not, like totally convinced he's not going to be moved, Like I think there's a chance, Like here's okay, So here's my logic. Is the Houston Astros in the offseason they were trying to shed a bunch of payroll. Hater is signed for nineteen million dollars. He's signed for two more years nineteen million per year, I should say, could they possibly move a gully Hater and then use that money saved and to throw it back into the roster in a different way? I like, again like, that's my own speculation. It's not something that I've heard, but I think it sounds like something that they could try to do. And the Brewers even tried doing that when they moved Hater in the first place. They tried for a couple of different guys. Obviously that failed and they missed the postseason. So there is risk, but I think Houston should and probably will at least consider that. But I would imagine the Mets are gonna be in a really good position here where they can, like with they're both with both of those left handed guys, to take advantage here.
Speaker 1: For sure, we were kind of wondering about something similar to what you just said about the Astros and hay the whereas this Mets team seems like they're motivated to still compete at a high level in twenty twenty seven. So with that, seeing that we actually do have payroll flexibility, especially if we move on some of these guys for the rest of the season, is there a world where the Mets do try to actually kind of make a measured by take on pictures with team control like Jose Soriano, Redetmers floating around or a couple other astros corner infield just because the Mets need help there. And Isach Pretus or Christian Walker UIs Corstia juniors under contract next year fourth year arbitration with the Nationals opposition of need for the Mets, like is there any world where they look to twenty twenty seven in a significant way at this deadline?
Speaker 3: I definitely think it's something that Sterns will consider. Is it something that I've heard? Not on my end, as at this point, everything that I've heard surrounding the Mets has just been either Freddie Peralta, Clay Holmes or those relievers or I mean Luke Weaver as well. I should mention him. I don't want to forget him, but I David Sterens always has an eye on the present but also the future as well. So if he's got an opportunity where you can go out and get those guys, I think that would make a ton of sounds. Like you add a Redetmers type. I can confidently tell you he has been the most basketball player on my end from other teams across, Like, it's crazy, teams love read Detmers and I could see Sam being the under there you go, you say, we got another fan right here with James. But it's like, I wonder if Stearns can see Debtmers, see the underlying numbers and expect him to possibly get more out of him. So I don't know, but I know teams just absolutely love read det Meers.
Speaker 2: Are the Mets actually considering trading Francisco Alvarez or is that just like kind of a like soft rumor and really more so considering trading Luis Terrenz if someone comes knocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question. Immediately after that came out, I checked and it's like, you know what, I think that's the case where the Mets just evaluate any and all options here. And I don't get the sense that's like a priority for them. Well, they listen for sure, because there's so many teams that need catching help. And now we've seen Shay langle Leers, We've seen Hunter Goodman, we've seen Ryan Jeffers, Ally Rushman, all those names mentioned. But I get the sense that all those big names that I mentioned, with the exception of Jeffers is probably unlikely the debut unlikely to be moved, so I would not expect Alvarez to be moved unless they just get blown away here.
Speaker 1: Catcher such a weird trade deadline position. Historically as well, you just never see teams move on starting catchers, and it's tough for playoff teams to be like, yeah, now go learn the whole pitching staff in three weeks. But something funny. As we go through all these Mets trade options, they weirdly line up super well as targets for some of the mets most heated rivals and hated other teams by our fans, Like the Phillies are so desperate for another trustworthy lefty or a right handed bat in the outfie, we're going to talk about Louis Robert in a second year.
Speaker 3: The Yankees could use.
Speaker 1: A catcher bullpen help, and the Braves are dying for not one, but probably two starting pitchers and they have the Mets pitching coach for last year, Jeremy Hefner. I'm sure wou'd love to work with Clay Holmes again from what you know about the past with David Stearns and what you're hearing right now, are the Mets actually going to open the door for some of these rivals that historically the organization hasn't been too keen on trading within the past.
Speaker 3: I think David Stearns will with an open mind here and I don't think he's gonna shut down any conversation. That being said, though, when it comes to dealing with the Braves and also Philadelphia, there's got to be an indivision tax, like you can't yes, yeah, you can't. Just yeah, it can't be like how the other teams operate here where it's like you have to get an increased value here. So if you're Stearn's, you got to get maybe a dollar twenty as compared to a dollar from those teams. So I definitely do think it will be having plenty of conversations because when it comes to the market, obviously I mentioned all the question marks that are that are currently here right now. But that being said, though, like those are the two teams, the Phillies and Braves, we're gonna be among the most motivated teams in the market, and possibly could they overpay. Like Dave Dombrowski, he is not afraid of moving prospects. If you want somebody, he will go out and get it. Like could you imagine, like after losing a guy like Brad Keller, you go out and get Luke Weaver. I mean, I think that makes a ton of sense for them. You can maybe Luis Robert Jr. I mean, they're looking for an outfielder. Could that end up being a fit there? Again, you mentioned Clay Holmes with a brave I think that would be a terrific fit. They needed to go go out and get a starting pitcher here for sure. So if it's Holmes or if it's somebody else, I definitely think Atlanta is going to get somebody for sure.
Speaker 2: It does feel like this is going to be the classic Dombrowski or where he was like, oh, you're a prospect available, Like he's going to do what he's done with every organization's ever been to tear down the minor leagues to try and get that ring.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, I'll tell you which I love, Like I want more executives to be like that. That's one of the reasons why I love aj Preller, Like the guy goes out if you want somebody, yeah, he'll trade anybody like it's like also like the Mason Miller stuff, I just I don't see it, but like I don't want to go and get distracted here when when it comes to that. But like Preller, I love how aggressive he is. De Poto super aggressive, Dombrowski is super aggressive, but we have more executives like that. Like I don't know, Like I don't know if you guys are into football, but I'm a diehard Philadelphi Eagles football fan, and I see how Howie Roseman. Yeah, dude, how he like he's he will trade anything and it's awesome. He's so active and like it makes it more fun as a fan. So I just wish the other twenty seven gms across ball would be.
Speaker 4: More like that.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mac Weldon with my friend Aer Kratz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light, it's summertime right now. For me, though, they cater to what I need tall clothes normally when I buy tall clothes, it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 4: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With Mac Weldon, go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's c kW e L d o N dot com code f o U L.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think Mets fans can say that this past offseason David Searns was aggressive. He just probably picked the wrong spots for the aggression. And that is kind of the game you played. The Bross keeping so good at this over the years, and I I would love to see another Mason Miller trade just because of what he fetched last year and where the Padres are right now is an organization and the fact that similar to what we've talked about with teams be concerned with the money, like it's got three years of team control, like you could pull like if you look at if you grab the Pirates and you're like, hey, this is this is all you need right now to actually get into a playoff series and compete with this is alat to your last piece. Give us everything you got. Like, I would love to see just the leverage be built for these small market teams try and see what they can do with Mason Miller.
Speaker 3: Oh, I totally agree. Like I think teams are gonna be trying here and as they should. Like you imagine, like as you said, imagine Mason Miller on the on the Pirates, imagining on any other contending YA is probably yeah, yeah, it would be. It would be incredible. And I I think people still don't realize just how good Mason Miller is. Like he's got an era under one. He's been unbelievable this year. And that's another thing with aj Preller too, is he likes unique talents. He likes superstar players, and obviously you got the expensive guys with Jackson Merrill's, Andrew Bogart's, Manny Machado Tatist Junior, like so on and so forth. Miller, as you said, he's ConTroll over for three more years at a super affordable rate. I just like I'm never gonna rule anything out with Aj Preller, like the guy will trade any anybody at any time. But I just don't see him being in a hurry to move Miller unless he's totally blown away. So that's why I'm skeptical. It seems like I'm on an island here, so I'm kind of I don't know. It's fun, but I feel confident in my stance there for sure.
Speaker 2: Until Aj Prelller sells, I'll never believe that he says that guy, that guy is ready to try and win a World Series every single year.
Speaker 3: There you go. They are only three games out of a wild card spot entering today, so I mean they're definitely in it, and they don't need to move Miller by any means here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be funny to see if they pull that off, though, I mean, there's so many of the guys in this mess roster. I'm sure that's fans would be what's what's a nice way to put this? Really really really excited to trade like the bad contracts we have in the books next season that Mark and I've been talking about a lot in the show. Between Jre Polanco and Marcus Simon, there seems to be. It's hard to be optimistic about either for them as we go to the lengths of their contracts with this team, there's basically no way to get off those, right, No, I don't figured.
Speaker 3: Out the way, and and that wasn't like obviously both Bachette has got his big contract and that's gonna be super difficult to move Polanco. I don't see like maybe maybe the marriage would want him back, but I don't. I don't see that necessarily with that contract there. So yeah, I think the Mets are gonna be on the on the books for both for all those guys there. And also like that, also like they prioritize run prevention in the offseason, and then they get Polanco, they put him in his body's not familiar with bringing Bichette and put him in a new spot. Like That's just it didn't seem like it was very well thought out there either.
Speaker 2: What's funny is Bashett's actually been desa a third talking about it yesterday. Hory Blanco's only played twenty innings at first base for the Mets this year. That alone just feels like an insane sentence, Like we thought it was a lot higher than that. Yeah, the offseason for the Mets this year was a complete disaster and then.
Speaker 3: Oh, it couldn't have gone worse. And like, the thing is is, like David Stearns is really smart, Like those off season has been an absolute disaster for him. But yeah, I'm still confident he can figure this thing out because get like, obviously his back is against the wall, but he's got Steve Cohen's support, he's got his pocketbooks. I think I think he will figure it out. But boy, is he is feeling the eat right now in New York for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's why there's so much pressure this deadline for him to get this right and last deadline again, I don't think it was really his fault, but it was also a complete disaster.
Speaker 2: All the trades we loved were like, these are such great moves.
Speaker 1: But guys like Ryan Helsing and Freddie Perl to show up in Queens and forget how to pitch. It's you kind of start to wonder something cosmic going on here, like why are these not working? He's have worked everywhere else, not here. I think the last I specifically want to ask you about was just if there was any smoke around Devin Williams. No, he's not a three year deal. It is relatively afford the bule. We know that so many teams want relievers. Everything underlying, just like we said last year, still lose good for Devin Williams despite the adda Nathan and Grand Slam. So anything around him or just too long of a contract, I.
Speaker 3: Would say teams are probably gonna check, but I'd put him in the more unlikely category. As of this point, I would imagine a Luke Weaver, Clay Holmes, par Alto types are much more likely going to be moved. So I think Williams is probably gonna be in Queens after the deadline here. But again, this could be a case where the limited bullpen options, especially the high leverage guys, could result in a team trying to get Williams. But I'm just not hopeful about that. If I was, you guys, are the Mets for in that spot? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think last question here before we let you go, are there any unexpected teams or even players on the Mets roster that you feel like aren't getting enough attention right now that could be interesting at the deadline.
Speaker 3: I would say I think we covered all of them because those are the names that are on my list here, Like maybe there could be a surprise, but I think Luis Robert Jr. Is definitely going to be somebody who's going to be asked about a lot, and I would not be surprised at all if he's moved. Despite like obviously the injuries and the inconsistent performance there from him, teams still love him. They believe there's more in the tank there, so I think they're gonna have a chance of moving him. The pitching guys, though, that's going to be the focus for the for the Mets and just everyone across baseball. They're pitching both starter and bullpen is plenty of desirable, So I think Sternce is gonna be plenty busy there for very busy over like the next tennish eleven days. Here.
Speaker 1: We were hoping that he said someone was kicking the tires on code. I'm saying it, but yes, I guess, I guess not for that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, Unfortunately I can. I got bad news there, so I just let you down. So that's that's expected.
Speaker 2: Robert, Thank you so much for coming on talking some Mets trade rumors with us. Let the people at home know where they can find you and everything you're working on right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I appreciate you boys having me. You can find me on Twitter at by Robert Murray, can read me on fan side of dot com, and hopefully on my Twitter you'll see me break plenty of trades. I got, I got, my my phone is blowing up. I've got a bunch of text and they need to respond to which is always fun. So hopefully we've got something coming across the pipeline soon, but again, I think it's gonna be closer to next week. Yeah, guys.
Speaker 2: Links in the description to Robert Stuff makes you are subscribed to our YouTube channel over here.
Speaker 3: If you're listening to.
Speaker 2: Us Apple podcasts, Spotify drops the rain Drops a review, download and subscribe. We'll catch you all after the Dodgers series.
Speaker 3: See you next time.
Speaker 1: That guys, Let's go Mets
Speaker 4: And then a sl