Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Oh we're back. Welcome back to the story of a guy that I swear is going to end in unimaginable bloodshed, but at this point he is a sex pest who has fled Canada for Jamaica in order to start a new evangelical church. Yeah, many such cases. We are back with our guests for this week, Molly Lambert. Molly, welcome to the show. Back to the show. Hello, Yeah, how we feeling as we come back into part two.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to see what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, you want to drop any plugs at the start here for your new podcasts?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I will have a podcast out later this year called Jenna World Jenna Jamison Vivid Video in the Valley about the history of the porn industry in Los Angeles and uh yeah check it out when it comes out.
Speaker 5: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Well that gets us back in to part two and closes out our cold opening.
Speaker 5: He So we're back.
Speaker 2: As I noted last episode, the Bad Kevin Smith had founded KOs Deliverance International around the year two thousand and when he fled to Jamaica, violating the terms of his probation, he brought it with him. Now that Canadian magazine The Walrus reported that he'd been going back and forth from Jamaica for a while at this point, so he had some sort of an established presence there at different evangelical churches, and once he was on the run, he established a permanent base of operations in downtown Montego Bay. He reconnected with a childhood friend there from Jamaica College named Charlton, who had remained in the country when Smith went off to Canada and had become a pastor himself in the area. Charlton served as a useful early source of connections while Kevin built up his flock, but he also had a sizeable head start by the time he moved there full time time, thanks to his years of international work. Charlton later claimed that Smith told him early on he'd started ministering to Porchase Simpson Miller, the Prime Minister, and he would also sometimes add vaguely that he talked to with other government officials. So he's from a very early state claiming to be ministering personally to like high level politicians in Jamaica and have a lot of connections in the local government. And there's some evidence this is true, including the fact that he really does not get investigated for any of his criminal history to the degree that you might expect of somebody who starts who kind of comes into Jamaica out of Canada and immediately starts up a large and influential church. His flock grew rapidly, and in twenty twelve he began affiliating his church with a larger Pentecostal organization in Jamaica called Pathways International Kingdom Restoration Ministries or I think PICKRIM would be the acronym there. I like that, Yeah, there you go. It sounds like a pokem on. It was not like a Pokemon unless I've really lost the plot on that game. Over the last few years. One regular talking point in Kevin sermons while he's in Jamaica is that he hadn't left Canada because he had committed sex crimes and had to flee because he didn't want to do probation. He had rejected Canada and his comfortable first world life there to return home to Jamaica because he was so loyal to the Jamaican people, Right.
Speaker 1: I like that. He's like, he's like, it's not it's not you, it's me. Canada by Hiah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's reframing it. You guys didn't get forced out of Los Angeles, You just you chose to go to Portland.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, And he's choosing to go to Jamaica because he's so loyal to the Jamaican people, which is just also a really fucked up way of pretending you didn't sexually assaulted guy, Like there's no non fucked up way to do that, exactly, but I guess this is particularly fucked up. I'm going to play a clip from a revival that he did six or seven years yars ago where he talks about why he left Canada for Jamaica. Both so you can again get an idea of like the personal charisma like here the reaction of the crowd when he talks about this stuff because they're buying it, and also so you can hear like how he is framing why he wound up in Jamaica. Now, in this specific part of the sermon, he's discussing a conversation he had during a brief trip back to Canada with one of his pentecostal mentors in Canada. So this is like a Canadian guy asking like, why are you going why'd you leave? Why'd you go to Jamaica? Right, that's the context of this part of the speech.
Speaker 6: Talk to me now, he said, what takes you all? Is that jiy s? He said, the other people thing they have to help God don't get polished. And that's like the church always splits and divide for seven years.
Speaker 5: That's giving him scene. How do you have scene to remain?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: I see hopping to administering. Now he's got any more more.
Speaker 6: He's somebody to teach your Wait a second, let me teach you, he said.
Speaker 1: Don't you know?
Speaker 5: He said, you understanding? You see look at you.
Speaker 6: You are coming here and your mind all as coming here to take back to Jamaica. Do you know what you're doing? I said, no, tell me. He said, you are watering the scene.
Speaker 1: I said, what for your me?
Speaker 6: He said, because you love your people. I look at being away from more tree days. Because what is.
Speaker 1: The like music and like breathing, combo, very athletic.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, man, But you gotta hear like the reaction he gets people are that is you.
Speaker 5: You can't fake a crown down there.
Speaker 3: It's gonna up. Like Kevin's advocate for a minute, here Uh, he's just doing some preaching. You know, he's talking in a preacher style. Yeah, it sounds it's it's stylized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the you can really like, Yeah, you can hear it. It's fast. It's fascinating to me how international that like American Pentecostal preacher voices. I used to be, you know, down in the depths of hell, but then I got risen up by God.
Speaker 1: Like it's very like he's like doing a lot of mouth breathing. And as a podcast producer, that's my worst time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, Sophie, that's why you're never going to make it as an evangelical minister.
Speaker 5: You know, I say this all the time. I'm like, Bishop, I'm a fucking bishop. God damn. That's my back plan.
Speaker 2: Part of the way I keep recommending the movie Marjoe and I know, I talk about it all the time because it's great, is because he really explains like why that voice works and how you can like kind of see it evolving. He was like one of the one of the key figures in like making that be a thing, and it's just fascinating to watch in real time. But it's interesting how universal that is. At least among like English speaking parts of the world, right, Like, even when it's kind of a different dialect of English, the same basic cadence a voice works really well.
Speaker 3: Oh Marjo looks fascinating.
Speaker 5: Oh it fucking rules.
Speaker 2: No, that movie rips, rips like a son of a bitch, Like, yeah, you watch it, Yeah you'll love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, I just didn't didn't really, I don't know anything about Pentecostal preachers or yeah child, uh you know preacher.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about Marjo is he kind of he started out before the religious right was a thing, and then he kind of breaks good, Like he decides that the Pentecostal movement and its alliance with the religious right is kind of evil and a grift, and he decides to like leave and film undercover during like his last year preaching within it. So it's it's just a fascinating picture of the start of the movement that has really taken over American politics right at its kind of like gestation period.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you think it goes back even further all the way?
Speaker 2: Well that's just elements.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love a charismatic grifter. Oh, yes, like the national character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, go on, yeah, yeah, tell me certainly that part of it has existed for a long time. Yeah, simple, Yeah, of course. The unstated truth here is that Kevin left Canada when he was on probation for sexual assault, and he is a registered sex offender at the time he's giving the speech. There are allegations that his government connections helped him smooth this over. It's unclear whether Pathways new when they accepted him into the Broader Umbrella organization. He was eventually disowned by the group after all the killings, but initially the sheer amount of money he brought in seems to have kept everybody quiet. The Reverend Adenair Jones of the Church of God in Jamaica would later accuse Pathways of exactly this, of basically ignoring the obvious evidence that this guy was dangerous because there was money in him.
Speaker 5: And I'm going to quote from a.
Speaker 3: Artist, okay, and not to play Keaven's advocate again, but that's my role on the show.
Speaker 5: I think, no, no, no, sure, But it also sounds.
Speaker 3: Like I haven't heard about the throat slittings yet, so imagine you know, I'm coming from a place of innocence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not knowing where he lands.
Speaker 3: It sounds like perhaps this child was brought into this preacher thing without sort of his consent. You know, he was told all this stuff about himself, about being special.
Speaker 5: Yeah, about being a prophet.
Speaker 3: And maybe there are some issues with his sexuality being repressed coming out of a culture, both a Christian culture and you know, growing up in Jamaica where there's just a culture of homophobia. Maybe he's just a troubled a troubled dude, you know. Yeah, And it's almost almost not his fault he got forced into this line of work because you know, I don't know, he was chosen sort of without his his choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always a degree with all of these guys where you wonder, like where does the complicity start, right, because there is often a case where like someone is like a victim in this period of time, right, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like he's a victim of his own circumstances, Like don't you know. It's obviously it's not okay that he's actually assaulted somebody, But it does sound like he could have had a different life if he had been raised under different circumstances. It sounds like he was really groomed into this position of being a religious leader and also in a religion where there's a lot of homophobia and sounds like he might be queer. Yeah, so I'm feeling bad for Kevin at this point. I feel like his life sucks and he's trapped in it.
Speaker 5: I feel both. Let's see, ye, let's.
Speaker 3: See if I change my mind.
Speaker 1: I mean, he is a registered he's as exist.
Speaker 3: No, but I mean I'm saying, like coming out of a super like he may have things may have happened to him as well. This is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And he alleges things happened to him. He was sexually assaulted as a kid, He was abused as a kid.
Speaker 5: So like, there is it, and it excuses it.
Speaker 3: But there's a cycle in place, obviously, and.
Speaker 2: She's certainly part of a cycle, and he's part of a cycle of like child abuse wherein young charismatic kids are adopted into this movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the charismatic child preacher thing also just seems like that's very exploitative. Yes, it would fuck you up no matter what. No way to be well adjusted from that.
Speaker 2: Which is a big part of like what the documentary Marjo goes into is like him being like, I know I'm robbing people, and I know that what I am doing is bad and perpetuating this movement, and also because of how I was raised, it's literally all I know how to do, like it's my only marketable skill.
Speaker 3: But also, isn't it sort of like it's a little bit consensual robbing? Right? Yeah, Like if somebody, if somebody wants to give you money for some nonsense, you're not stealing it from them, You're not forcing it out of them. There's other things you could give people. Then I can't to seem worse. Sorry, I'm really playing Cabin's advocate.
Speaker 2: No, well, we're Here's what gets me fucked up about that is I can see that logic, and I can make that argument, but I can also see that logic leading you into gradually becoming a cult leader. Like it starts at the little steps, like.
Speaker 3: Do you take Patreon for your podcast?
Speaker 2: I don't, but I don't have a problem with it, right, And like if.
Speaker 3: Somebody wanted to pay you for like your charismatic ramblings on a microphone, sure, well, don't see that as exploited of You're like, they just want to give me money because they appreciate me.
Speaker 2: I don't see it as inherently, but I do see it as potentially right in that because I've watched this happen. Right, there are some cults where it starts out as like, Okay, this is just a person who is like a content provider online, and then the level of like adoration and fame and the weird parasocial relationships they get, they take it in really abusive directions. But like we've all seen plenty of cases of like white men in media who wound up with like very aggressive, like aligned fan bases and went increasingly insane. It's not a it's not detached completely from this like we're talking about this kind of psychological like this like wheel in the case of like evangelical Christianity. But it also it's not detached from like celebrity culture, right, Like it's it's it's not really great for people, especially when they're really young. I think if this, if this starts to happen to you when you're older, you have you can have more of like a defense against it. If you've got a family, if you've got friends, if you've got a good number of people who know you and have known you, I.
Speaker 3: Think being famous makes everybody crazy. I don't know that it matters when it happens. I think being a child it's a form of abuse, and it is like making a child do any kind of.
Speaker 2: Job, you know, Sure, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Any kind of work is like, no, kids shouldn't be working. Yeah, But it's kind of in the Michael Jackson family of things, where it's like, oh, are we supposed to deny this child's incredible abilities that you know the world should be deprived of the greatest performer of all times?
Speaker 5: Do you stop them from playing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think about this the other day because there are kids with podcasts now and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, that's just a bad idea.
Speaker 5: But they're also But.
Speaker 3: I was also just like, oh, that's sad for them. They're making content. They should be like in a laying yard. Yeah, like playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's messy, And I don't know what the actual solution is here.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is we're all complicit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's agree on banning children from being advertised too. Can we at least start there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can start there.
Speaker 2: Maybe that'll start fixing some of the problems for sure, And I don't know, maybe have a government agency dedicated entirely watching the parents of child actors.
Speaker 3: Okay, but if you got like a million dollar contract to advertise Galaxy gas to eleven year olds.
Speaker 5: Sure, absolutely get them hooked, get them hooked. No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: I think I think kids need to be doing way more drugs. Look, I mean, look at what they're getting up to. Have you seen this Minecraft movie shit like it seems like if the kids were getting a high, they'd be a lot healthier. No, don't do drugs, kids, or do Okay, don't listen to me.
Speaker 1: Back to the other Kevin's been.
Speaker 5: Back to the other Kevin Smith. So yeah.
Speaker 2: The Reverend Adnair Jones of the Church of God in Jamaica would later accuse Pathways of basically ignoring the other Kevin Smith's criminal history and problematic history in order to make money. The Jamaica Gleaner writes. Jones said that congregations have been too accommodating of virtually anyone bearing a Bible who could delivers soundbites using charisma and flare to flourish, as did Smith and initially KOs fits in with the rest of the Pentecostal churches in the country. Its website claimed our divine mandate is to transform the people by the power of Jesus Christ, and stated that the mission of his church was to win souls to the Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ and deliver the lives of people from the snares of darkness. Pretty standard stuff, However, while most pastors within Pathways affiliated churches went by the title pastor, which is normal, Smith showed an early flare for the extreme. His website listed him as the president and founder of Chos Deliverance International, as well as Chief Special Advisor of the King's Oracles, and he ordered his followers to refer to him in person as excellency, his excellency, or your grace. And I think we can see where problems are starting here.
Speaker 5: Now, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's unclear to me, number one, who the King's Oracles were. I have not come across that an explanation of that title, so I don't know what that is exactly supposed to mean. It's also unclear to me win the Prosperity Gospel preachings got into Kevin's sermons, right, Is this something that he's really talking about? Before he lands in Jamaica, but during his first five or so years on the island he becomes increasingly enmeshed in prosperity Gospel preaching, which is a major part of kind of the charismatic Christian evangelical movement. The prosperity gospel started out in the United States. And the way this works it basically you're preaching that God works like a high yield savings account or a really good four oh one K, right, if you put money into God, and by God I mean the church that you go to and it's pastor by tithing regularly giving up the church a percentage of your income and then handing out additional seed offerings on a weekly basis, and seed offerings kind of the key is that it hurts. Right, every week, you're supposed to give more money than you can afford to the church, right, and the promise is that if you do this, if you give all you can to the point where it like damages your financial stability, God will reward you with miraculous financial gifts. So again, it really is like a four oh one K that works on a much faster time period. If you give God more money than you can afford. Now, God will give you back many times that amount of money, you know, at some point in the near future. That's like the literal premise upon which prosperity Gospel is predicated. Now, it's probably worth taking another asiet here to discuss prosperity Gospel and more detail, since it is one of the root problems with American evangelical Christianity as a whole. The gist of it is that in the late eighteen hundreds in the US, there are two different strands of revivalist christian thought that come together and they cross pollinate. On one hand, you've got the Holiness movement, who believes prayer works the same way the force does in Star Wars. Right, it allows people with sufficient faith to heal the sick and do magic because all illness and discomfort come from sin. Right, So if the Holy Spirit is in you, you can wipe sin away from people and it makes them able to either heal or even perform super human acts. Now, the Holiness movement kind of opens the door to a really theatric church going experience, which is a key aspect of revival culture. You're not just telling people they're healed. You have people play acting as healers and the sick, right, and this provides kind of an emotional and social outlet. People can come in barely able to move and then start jumping around and dancing and they'll get this like huge surge of applause and this kind of like it's a performance, right, So there's this two way relationship between the performers and the people reacting to it that has this kind of catharsis in it, and there's a degree of forced cognitive dissonance here. As Associate professor of religion Donathan Bahar writes for nine marks dot org, the key was to believe, pray and hold on to it, believe that it is yours, and act out the healing even if lying symptoms persist. Right, So, even if you know you're not cured, those symptoms because you've been cured are a lie. Right, If you feel like you still have cancer, you have to just ignore that because that's the devil trying to trick you into believing that you're still sick. So there's a lot of like you know, there's a lot of victim blamey stuff around illness in American culture period, but this is one of the places in which it manifests. Right is in this kind of movement. Now, there's still an This is still the Holiness movement kind of an underlying pillar of charismatic evangelism today, and it's why all of these churches are such fertile hunting grounds for guys like the other Kevin Smith. Now, the other movement that collides with the Holiness movement in the late eighteen hundreds to create prosperity gospel is the New Thought movement. And the New Thought movement isn't an explicitly Christian movement. It's kind of a precursor to the self help movement. It's related to scientology, Dianetics is involved in this, and it's also the root of stuff like the Secret Right. And the basis of the New Thought movement is that you can radically alter your mind, body, and situation through purging negative thoughts and reinforcing positive ones. Right, And kind of the main semi secular figure we get out of the New Thought move is Norman Vincent Peel, who's booked The Power of Positive Thinking in the fifties and sixties, is a big influence on young Donald Trump. And all this stuff kind of collides together and gives us the Prosperity Gospel, which is based on a merger of the two and starts to spread overseas in like the eighties and nineties right to a lot of countries that have exploding evangelical movements in the post colonial era. And Jamaica, which has a lot of impoverished people who are desperate for hope that feels actionable, is a particularly fertile breeding ground for Prosperity Gospel to start taking over, right, And so it really does, and that's kind of what provides what tills the soil for the church that Kevin is going to start here in the early two thousands, he begins hosting almost daily prayer sessions. I think they're three or four times a week, and those come with expected daily donations. So you're supposed to give a tithe of your income and then you're supposed to pay every day give a seed donation. And then he has one on one courses. Right, he's still operating as a psychotherapist, like you can pay him for therapy too. Basically, the idea is all of your money goes to Kevin and the church, right, like every dime that you get goes here, and if you're spending money on anything else, even spending money on like food or rent, you're kind of not putting your faith in God. And that's a sin, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Like it's a very.
Speaker 2: Abusive way to look at the relationship between like a pastor and his church. Speaking of abusive relationships advertising, Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Shoe fits and we're back.
Speaker 2: So Kevin starts offering free and discounted services to the odd male member of the flock that he wants to get closer to. And this is there's allegations that he basically starts kind of whenever a young man will come into the church, he'll start by offering that guy's family like benefits, free services or breaks on the money they're already spending on the church in order to get that young man closer to him, you know, to make him his assistant, to have him work for the church. And there are some allegations that he basically starts operating a male harem through these kind of tactics, right, pulling in young men this way. This is not something we have a lot of detail about, in part because in Jamaica, admitting that you were abused in this way, like there's a lot of consequences to it, not that there's not in the United States, but it's hard to get people talking directly about this kind of relationship. Right It's not clear how much of this is like just psychological and how much of this is actual physical sexual violence, but there are direct allegations that he used these kind of relationships to engage in what was at least adjacent to human trafficking. The Gleaner a Jamaican investigative news site with very good reporting on Smith and maybe the worst coded website I've ever used, which is not their fault. I know what budgets are like right now, it's just rough. They interviewed a former member of the church named Jivon. At age seventeen, Jivon was taken that's his word, from his parents by Smith and used as an errand boy for the church. Now it's unclear to me. Does Kevin force this guy's parents to give their kid up, or does he bribe them in some way, or is it a situation where they just feel like, well, this guy's the prophet and we can't say no to him. Jievon claims that at the start he sees Kevin as like a foster father, and he feels chosen like he's maybe the Prophet's adopted son. Right, But this quickly gets disabused because Kevin takes advantage of this position of trust to have Jivon handle intensive, time consuming tasks like counting the money given it offerings every week and do them for free. And this is not an easy or a small task because a lot of money is coming in. Per Jivon. There were four different types of offerings. You have the one hundred dollars offering that starts the service, the thousand dollars seed offering, and then the regular offering, and then another offering where you make covenant with the word. So by the mid aught some people are donating four times a day with services three times a week Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. There's also, you know again, these kind of one on one sessions where he's making money sometimes up to like three hundred and fifty dollars for what's called a deliverance session where he has like a one on one spiritual encounter with the person. And since Jievon's doing a lot of the counting of money here, he's able to give the gleaner an educated estimate for how much the church is pulling in, and he claims that a single night could bring in a quarter of a million US dollars or more, which means Kevin's Church is pulling down three quarters of a million a week just from services. But he also offers up a bunch of side sessions as noted earlier, which brings their estimated weekly income up to around a million. And just what we know objectively about the assets, the number of properties the church held, this is a pretty credible estimate for what they're kind of making bringing in at their.
Speaker 1: Heights so much fucking money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is they're making a ton of money, so crazy, But they're also almost always He's expanding so rapidly. He's buying so many new properties that the amount of money it costs to keep the church operational is pretty close to the income they're bringing in on a weekly basis. So there's always this level of stress of like, we really need to continue to squeeze our members for as much as we possibly can, otherwise this house of cards is going to fall apart.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: The Jamaica Gleaner goes into more detail about the different grifts that Smith built into the foundation of his church.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 2: Members of Pathways Christian Cathedral, as the church was sometimes called, were charged a fee of five hundred dollars for adults and one hundred for children for the monthly miracle Covenant Seed for the church's ministerial upliftment. They also paid tithes offering Covenant seed or other special contributions as requested by Smith. Membership cards also came at a cost, with adults and children paying five hundred dollars and one hundred dollars respectively, while widows were charged two hundred dollars. The more one gives, the more God gets happy, one church member told the Sunday Gleaner in defense of the numerous payments they would the leader would help a lot of people in need, But nobody's talking about that. And that is an aspect of this too, is like people are seeing there are actual community services that are being operated now, not to the extent of costing a million dollars a week, but there's also enough that people can be like, well, the money's clearly going to a good cause, right. Members were expected to volunteer time to help, you know, staff these different sort of community organizations, and also to show up at regular festivals, for which they'd be expected to pay like two hundred dollars or five hundred dollars for a ticket. And while there is aid for parishioners, this is also often a grift. For example, Smith offered loans to members of the church at a fifteen percent interest rate, which is not exactly charity, right, we can say that about that.
Speaker 1: What does he want with all this money? Though, Like I don't understand it's so much money. What is he doing with.
Speaker 2: Well, he's got he's building his empire, right, he's operating as we'll talk about it, like he's operating businesses in the community. Now he's trying to start like other churches. And he's like he's like building, getting into real estate. You know there there's always places to spend this kind of money.
Speaker 1: Because now he's got so much money that he can't keep he's putting it into real estate like they do.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is that, like there's bribes that have to be paid to local politicians. Like he talks about it as if he's like ministering to these guys. But there's always bribes to be paid, right, So you know that's not a zero percent of the story. Here too, Jievon describes his own role within the church in unsparing terms. We were like slaves. I was not allowed to go around my parents or any relatives or friends outside.
Speaker 5: Of the church.
Speaker 2: And he works for both the church and for Smith's psychotherapist business, which is how a lot of these one on one sessions were marketed. He had to get permission if he wanted to do anything besides work, even to go get a haircut. He describes it, yes, essentially like he's in prison. KOs Ministries does open a food bank with some of the money that Kevin makes, and they establish a program to help poor students pay their school fees. They pool donations to help fund medical care for small children and elderly parishioners. And this is done in part because it's like a really good recruitment tool, right, Like this helps bring more people in, and he's also able to He's able to take in donations for himself and also take in donations to fund these different organizations, so it's not cutting as much into his bottom line. The primary appeal of the church is always Kevin's personal charisma. Per reporting in The Walrus, one former attendee Charise happened to pass by the church one day and heard Smith's voice. That voice sounds powerful, she remembers, thinking she went inside. Charis immediately felt that Smith wasn't a typical pastor. He insisted on being referred to as his excellency. He spoke eagerly about the gospel of prosperity. Charis and former members say Smith regularly brought up the fact that he was a Canadian citizen, a point of privilege. He leveraged to suggest that he could help get others visas to work or study in Canada for a fee. Smith charged for consultations or prayers, attendance at workshops, and other events. One event in twenty thirteen, a wealth Transfervation summit entitled money Come to Me Now, promised explosive prophecies to help participants break the cycle of poverty forever.
Speaker 5: Wow, you see, like the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just a no end to the grifting. Like he's doing every playbook, every single playbook.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's getting depressing now I understand, Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's getting depressing.
Speaker 2: And there's so much of this that is like predicated on Well, he got out to Canada, so he must have some connections, he can get me out like that. Just how much poverty provides the opportunity here, because there's like no easy way out of poverty and people are desperate to believe there's hope, you know. So it's it's the bummer, Yeah, it's it's bleak as hell. Now, the good news is that Scherise has the presence of mind to evaluate the promise of Smith is making based on their impact on her real life. So she's to see, I've been given money to this guy, and I am not getting it back in any way, right, And you're not supposed to think this way. Remember, at the root of all this is that you have to ignore your lying symptoms if they tell you that handing over money to the church hasn't made anything better, right, You're not supposed to feel like that. You're supposed to think that way. And Jeevon eventually comes to the same conclusion as Cherise, But because he's not a normal congregant, but someone raised in the church whose whole family buys into Kevin's bs, the task of leaving is a lot harder for him. He attempts to flee for the first time in November of twenty fifteen, and this would prove to be the first of ultimately six attempts to flee Kevin Smith's church over the years. For The Gleaner, each time I ran away, the church members blamed me for being disobedient, he stated, adding that the last time he ran off, Smith placed a death prophecy on his head, saying that his head would return on a platter. Once you try to leave, they instill fear within you. Jievon said. Many people refuse to leave pathways in international out of fear for their lives, and in fact, they believed he was a prophet, and Kevin kind of cultivates this reputation for prophecy in the same way any other grifter of this kind does. He makes these constant, big predictions about like they're going to war, a natural disaster are coming, right, but he doesn't say where. And like if you say there's going to be a war that breaks out soon or a natural disaster, you'll always be right, you know, Like, yeah, I predict that in the next six months a major natural disaster will strike the United States. I'll guarantee you that prophecy is correct, because you can say that at any point in time and it will be true in the United States or most other countries, right, Like that's just the way the world is, you know. The most compelling prophecies that he would lay out, though related to individual members of the church. Jivon recalled one that stuck in his mind. When Kevin told a female congregant about a vision he'd had for future. He prophesied saying that he saw her son in a pool of blood with the name baby Killer. And about a week later, the same incident happened and was on the pages of the Western Mirror. And I don't know this specific case, but it's one of those things, especially if you get to know you know your flock, if you have members of your church who have like family members in gangs, it's not such a big prediction to be like, what if you is going to lose a loved one soon, right, because, like you know, that's just how it happens when people are involved in gangs. So it may just have been a situation like that. But this causes the fact that he seems to have this ability and that people believe it. It makes people afraid of Smith, right, you don't want him to prophesy negatively about you. And your family because you believe that this can have an impact on you. And it's also hard to leave if you're someone like Jeevon who started to question you know the actual power of this guy, because everyone you know in love is still in the church, right, and so you can be cut off from your whole support network by leaving fairly normal cult thing. And this is why Jevon keeps coming back time and time again. He's going to leave like five times before it finally sticks, and things only change when he falls in love with a member of the congregation and tries to start a relationship with them. This enrages Smith because again Jievon hadn't asked for permission, and Smith, along with a number of other very young men, kind of wants to keep this kid chased and close to him. Jievon claims the prophet told him, if you think I'm going to marry you and her, you make a big mistake, right as in perform the marriage right, Like I have the ability to determine who in this church can get married, and I'm not going to prove that. And you get the feeling it's kind of out of like a sense of jealousy on his part. That he really doesn't want this kid escaping his orbit in any way. But that is what gets Jievon.
Speaker 5: Out right so crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a pretty pretty normal deal. Gievon ultimately leaves and stays gone, which may have saved his life given what comes next, but in the immediate term it causes him tremendous pain because Smith does command family members to cut off their loved ones, and this is not just a thing Jevon has reported. The Jamaica Gleamer reports a young woman said she was kicked out of the church after two years as a member because of forn ocasion. They don't speak to me. I have two uncles and aunt in law and three cousins still there.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's doing and he's doing the scientology.
Speaker 5: He's doing the every cult, right.
Speaker 3: You know, he's doing the scientology.
Speaker 2: He's doing scientology. He's doing he's doing the l right, you know, he's doing the l rod. He's not throwing people off of boats making them search for gold, but he's got a lot of that playbook to him.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, he's doing the child labor.
Speaker 5: Definitely, that the.
Speaker 1: Cutting off family members, the stealing. Everybody's hard or earned money. Yeah, he's got the holy trifecta of yep, yep ye running.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, it's it's he's l running, he's hubbarding hard.
Speaker 1: It's bad now.
Speaker 2: One thing Hubbard would never have done that Smith does that I don't fully understand is in twenty seventeen, he returns to Canada and he hands himself over to the Toronto Police. Why It's unclear, but reading between the lines, I think he works out an arrangement with Canadian authorities using his Jamaican government contacts as an intermediary right because he doesn't go to prison, and he basically gets set up in a situation where he pleads guilty on probation violations, but he's allowed to return to Jamaica and then travel internationally more easily. He's not like dealing with the fact that he's wanted in Canada anymore over the next eighteen months, as long as he finishes his probation Canada.
Speaker 1: Why why Canada?
Speaker 2: Well, he does have to make the five hundred dollars donation to a rape crisis center. Oh okay done, And they also require that he engage in sexual behavioral counseling, but only if he stays in Canada for longer than a month, So as long as he leaves Canada never stays more than like a week at a time, he doesn't have to do any counseling.
Speaker 1: None of this math adds up.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, seriously, that's fucking.
Speaker 1: Despicably embarrassing Canada.
Speaker 3: What we're doing.
Speaker 2: We're missing a part of it. But again, it's definite that like some of the money he brings in as bribing local politicians, and my suspicion is that those local politicians have connections in Canada and there's a less direct kind of bribe going there.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's still fucking despicable.
Speaker 2: You know, there's ways to influence politicians and countries that where that is looked at more that are still effectively a bribe. Well, maybe you're getting invited to speak at an event at like a resort in Jamaica or something like that, or like a permit that you need because you've got some sort of business over there, it gets a little bit easier. I don't know exactly what's happening, but clearly something sketchy happens here, right this kind of sweetheart deal, It just seems unlikely that it would be handed out otherwise. And yeah, but we don't exactactly know why Canada agrees to let this guy off with just the slappiest on the wrist of slaps on the wrist for a multi year long probation violation after a sex crime.
Speaker 1: I mean again, he's hubbarding, he's hovering, he's blackmailing and paying off the government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although Hubbard would never have turned himself into the.
Speaker 1: Efforts comsoletely not, he would fucking.
Speaker 5: H Yeah, he would have set. He would have set to C.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's but he So the understanding here is that he's doing this so that he can travel easily.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it's so that basically he gets like, you know, there's holds and stuff, showing his documents. Yeah, and now he's allowed to travel easily as long as he periodically call, like contacts his probation officer back in Canada.
Speaker 1: Bad job Canada, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not great, not great work Canada. Bad job Canada, Bad job Canada. Not the only time we've said that on this podcast, and not the last time. But you know who's not Canada.
Speaker 1: Well we don't know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't know that.
Speaker 2: We don't know these sponsors may or may not be Canadian, there's no way to say, and we're back. So in April of twenty eighteen, Smith holds an elaborate public party for his thirty sixth birthday, which I think also kind of doubles as a celebration of the fact that he's about to be done with his probation terms. Police escorted hundreds of his followers as they marched through the streets of Montego Bay, and he follows them in a silver stretch limousine. He goes on a spending spree, buying a large rural compound with stables in livestock, several luxury homes on the coast, sports cars, and several businesses on the land. He begins constructing a new church called the Arc, which is meant to be self sufficient and able to survive in the event of an apocalypse. Right, so he's built, he's bought his compound, he's building a church called the Ark, and they're like growing food to try to get ready for the end of days. And so, you know, things seem to be going well for the other Kevin Smith until twenty twenty. Now, if anyone listening is old enough to remember back then, a virus called COVID nineteen started spreading through the global population. Governments around the world entered panic lockdowns with very little understanding of what might actually happened or how long any of this was going to last. It is a you know, we all remember right now, Given the severity of the disease, it made total sense that you would lock down. But as you might recall, about a third of the population lost their minds over this, right like, people do not react well to this and the other. Kevin Smith is one of them. He seems to have fallen down a conspiracy rabbit hole himself first by listening to and watching American COVID denialists online. So again, we really we've got our part to play in this. He starts spending way too much time on YouTube while things are closed up, and that's not good for anybody. And based on the reading I've done, he really starts to go over the a once the vaccine becomes a reality and governments around the world start talking about a mass rollout. Since he's got this big platform, he starts using both his church's social media and his actual pulpit to howl to the masses that the COVID vaccines have microchips in them, and per the Walrus, ingredients linked to the Devil, which I love is a description of like.
Speaker 3: Vaccine ingredients link to the devil, link to the.
Speaker 2: Devil, Like what like sulfur, like, like what is linked to the devil?
Speaker 3: You put it in under a microscope and you see little devil hats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, little little Satan faces.
Speaker 3: Little satan's like little pitchforks.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: I also just like the idea of like the Devil was an international crime syndicate, and like you're like, yeah, the Satan's fingerprints are all over this vaccine. We can see bits of them in air well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got shooters everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is that is something the Devil's famous for famously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the devil hosse shooters.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Now he described wearing masks and getting vaccinated as taking on the mark of the beast. And I think we've all heard a lot of rhetoric like this since COVID broke out, Right, Like I can remember when certain and this is not this goes back before COVID, by the way, right, The idea of describing certain things that are just sort of like marks of modernity as taking on the mark of the beast. I remember back in the nineties when there were certain conspiratorial Christian pastors warning people that like bar codes on products, which were new at the time, were the mark of the beast. Like bar codes are going to allow the government to track everything that you do. You know, this is the devil coming to like take this country down.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I will say a barcode makes more eschatological sense than a vaccine as a mark of the beast, because the Book of Revelations does describe followers of the Antichrist as having a mark and that quote no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark that is the name of the of the beast or the number of its name. Yeah, of course, Yeah, No one's really stopped from buying and selling goods based on vaccination status. Right, that doesn't actually happen, But that's immaterial to guys like Smith. Right, the fact that, well, but this doesn't like fuck man and anti vax people are running the United States now, Like maybe this is not the mark of the beast in any way. That doesn't really like factor into these people's thinking, as it is the fact that the beast I like all of this, Like apocalypse narrative is very funny to me, just given the actual text of the Book of Revelation, right, because the beast is not at all described as you know, anything like what you hear in the kind of popular fiction that's often inspired by the Book of Revelations. The beast in the actual Book of Revelations has ten horns and six heads, with ten crowns on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. It has it's like a leopard, but its feet are like a bear's and its mouth was like a lion's mouth. I don't know what that has to do with the COVID nineteen vac scene. You can twist that, I'm sure into making it, but it just sounds like it sounds cool. Some guy was tripping and described a rad monster. You know, I've seen something like that on enough acid, and I'm sure it was someone on ergot poisoning who wrote the Book of Revelations. You know, many such cases. Smith also described the vaccine as a plan for population control, which also doesn't really make sense with the mark of the Beast thing, because the marked are followers of the beast, and if the Mark kills them off. It's kind of the Antichrist shooting himself in the foot, right, Like the Antichrist, like, why would you want to kill these people?
Speaker 5: Right? He want them? He just as soldiers.
Speaker 1: None of his math adds up.
Speaker 5: None of this math ever adds up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now The Walrus has like done a deep dive into where a lot of Smith's but like where he is online, what stuff he's sharing, and where his beliefs kind of come from, and a lot of it traces back to Glenn Beck, particularly his website The Blaze, which I is just the least surprising thing in the world. But it's so frustrating that that motherfucker continues to have the kind of penetration that he has. One of the stories that Smith shared that seems to have really radicalized him was the arrest of Canadian pastor Arthur Pawlowski, who was fined in December of twenty twenty for failing to wear a mask while having an unpermitted anti mask protest. Now, I wouldn't even call this a slap on the wrist, Right, he gets fined for breaking COVID lockdowns and having a protest at the early stages of the pandemic, barely a slap on the wrist, and in fact, just getting charged with this is a huge boon to this guy's career because suddenly he's a victim of religious suppression. Right, this guy goes from a nobody to one of the most famous pastors in the world, and other religious leaders like Kevin Smith start screaming that he's a victim of state repression. Pawlowski kind of decides to let this shit ride, and so he holds another rally in February of twenty twenty one, during which he carries a tiki tourt despite it being daylight, for reasons that have absolutely nothing with signaling his support to the fascists who you said torches to beat people in Charlottesville back in twenty seventeen. Right, it's clearly nothing suspicious about the fact that this guy does a tiki torch rally during daylight in February of twenty twenty one, nothing.
Speaker 1: To do with that loocking weirdos.
Speaker 2: Proving that he was the one trickiest of one trick ponies. Archur has continued this grift up to the present day and has been locked in basically constant litigation as a result. You know, every time things will calm down, he'll try to commit some other public crime in order to get charges against him so that he can fund raised off of that. He has never been locked away or you know, disappeared by the state, which you might see as evidence that he's not in any way being persecuted.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, this con works perfectly on guys like Smith. It either works on them or they see it as useful to share themselves.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: And when Smith first hears about Padlowski's first charges, which result in nothing but a fine, he posts on Facebook, this is abomination persecution of the church in Canada. The world is watching and mouths are closed. We must know what's coming to Jamaica now we had absolutely was not. Jamaica is not gearing up for a crackdown on these people. And in fact, thanks in large part to Kevin Smith and Anti the Other Kevin Smith and other anti VAX's religious leaders, less than half of Jamaican's have been vaccinated against COVID nineteen at any point, a significantly lower rate than most of their neighbors by summer of twenty twenty one. Though Smith is totally pilled and COVID nineteen became the sole focus of most of his sermons. From an article in the Jamaica Gleaner. In one of the entries declaring his mission, Smith, who appeared to be obsessed with titles, declared himself his Excellency Doctor Kevin Osmith, Crown Bishop, an end time nobby of him, conqueror, Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Yesos Christos, the One and True Living God. Yahweh ninety ninety nine, which is the opposite of sixty sixty six.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it also hard to fit on a business card.
Speaker 1: Molly, you should totally take that title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we need we need more. King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Speaker 4: Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Podcaster writer, I think yeahweh nine nine nine. That's basically a fucking uh. You could get that as like a license plate. Yeah, YHVH nine nine nine sounds good. He makes posts like forced vaccination in law is rape. A man forcing something into another man is buggery. A man forcing himself into a woman is rape. No Prime Minister can change common law and common sense. We don't need to go into all of the different things that are wrong about that. That's the kind of rhetoric that he's he's putting out of this period of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his math doesn't add.
Speaker 2: No, none of it adds up. In a post responding to a recent statement by Prime Minister Andrew Holness in which he stated that unvaccinated Jamaican should not expect the government to prioritize them for bedspace, Smith prophesied, we will be pushed out of the hospital and supermarket and the airports and the businesses. Again, this doesn't happen. He began preaching that the police and the military would soon corral Jamaican citizens into camps and force them to take fatal vaccines. Anyone who yielded to the state and took the vaccine would be killed by God, not necessarily literally, but a kind of spiritual death. Meanwhile, Smith promised, if you give up your life for Christ Jesus, you will save it. So he starts to insist that by October twenty second of twenty twenty one, the Jamaican government will use fictitious legislation to make the COVID vaccine mandatory. The end game will be to try and deceive us or force us into quarantine concentration camps. Prepare to stand your ground.
Speaker 1: And I'm just like, how are we going to get to the throat cutting?
Speaker 2: I mean, you could see it starting to happen here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I heard forced march to concentration camp.
Speaker 2: Right, I want want here we go right, like the government is coming force on the specific date we need to be ready, right, that's going to set up a confrontation.
Speaker 3: The Jim Jones situation.
Speaker 2: Ye to come, yes, exactly. He predicts a series of natural disasters around the globe that will coincide with this, which is all pretty standard in time stuff, but it's married to a marked invisible degradation in Smith's mental health state.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 2: Smith's behavior in person became noticeably stranger.
Speaker 5: Over time.
Speaker 2: He became more adamant that his congregants donate as much money as possible, telling them that if those who had money resisted giving, the member would crash and die, and that Smith would send his wrath out to the members family. So he's like, if you don't give me everything now so that I can get ready for this, I will make sure God kills your relatives in a car crash ten days before his predicted date for Jamaica, making the vaccine mandatory, Smith told his followers that anyone who gets vaxed now would be exit communicated from the church. He posted a video to Facebook two days later, insisting my job is the apocalypse and that an unveiling is coming soon. His followers were shortly thereafter ordered to prepare their photo IDs and church membership cards and gather at the ARC on October sixteenth. Never a good idea, Never a good idea.
Speaker 3: I'm really starting to wish this was about the mall rats Kevin Smith.
Speaker 5: That malrats.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh if only it was the mall rats Kevin Smith.
Speaker 3: It's like and it culminates and like he made Jersey Girl, and yeah it was bad for everyone's careers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just go on like a fifteen minute rant about Jersey Girls and Tusk can last.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like the view askew, Prophecy is coming.
Speaker 2: No very different. And for an idea of how Smith's sermons leading up to October sixteenth, this day of prophecy sounded, I'm gonna have Sophie play another clip.
Speaker 6: I have been sent to this nation to declare from America. Canada up when the world for the last come.
Speaker 1: Where got bad?
Speaker 6: Plot is we're been planned in the houses right a streets where we filing red plot?
Speaker 3: Yes, I said, I.
Speaker 1: Come from the dead dead.
Speaker 6: Hi, I'm these it is a.
Speaker 1: Sight Yeah okay sir.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's you know, really amping people up. You're not getting people into a logical state of mind when you're doing that shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's committed to the to the to the grift yea to the bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's unclear to me how much of this is. He has really started to spiral and his mental health has declined as a result of getting caught in this conspiratorial media loop.
Speaker 3: You know, also like look who was doing well mental twenty two? Who was like functioning?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 5: Now everybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was doing good now?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: So really, on the sixteenth, members of Smith's church start showing up outside the arc wearing all white. There's a sermon and service that follows that he's not conducting. He's got like lieutenants who are conducting the sermon and service, which goes on until around one am the next morning. Right, so they're doing like a marathon session. Smith's lieutenants manage the festivities up to this point, and he seems to have spent these hours like where people are gathering and like this is going on in a frenzy of social media, posting, mostly to Facebook, where he ordered everyone to show up at the ARC without their cell phones, wearing white saying the arc is loading now, the flood is coming. Go now run. He tells everybody that the ARC is going to leave on the eighteenth, and in case there's any doubt about what that means, he posts that in order to be saved, everyone at the ARC has to participate in what he called a quote Roman Catholic sacrifice that will have no survivors. The cops don't get called as a result of this. Nobody's like, well, this guy's telling everyone to come and there's going to be a sacrifice at this arc that no one lives through. Probably not worth Karen about right, must just be some like religious bluss. Dozens and dozens of his congregants take this seriously enough that they spend more than a day in prayer. Smith doesn't show up until the seventeenth, and his first command is for everyone to throw out the canned goods that they'd brought, expecting to need food. To survive the apocalypse. Then, confusingly, he ordered them to empty soda bottles and fill the soda bottles.
Speaker 5: Up with water.
Speaker 2: One member who shut up that day at the ARC was Michael Brown, who had been hospitalized for severe kidney issues and had forcibly discharged himself from the hospital after Smith had ordered everyone to show up at the church. We'll discuss Michael later, but this is a guy with a life threatening kidney problem who like leaves his hospital bed where he needs to be to stay alive in order to be at this thing because he considers it more important. Outside the church, Smith made congregants bowed down on their knees before entering, giving them judgment and writing their names in the Lamb's Book of Life, a biblical register of those chosen for salvation. The Walrus reports as congregants entered the church, Smith wrote name of each person in a book. When Tanica Gardner walked through the doors, Smith turned to her. Is your blood clean? He asked? Do you believe that I am the resurrection in the life. Gardner replied yes. Smith then said that her blood had to be cleansed in order for her to be resurrected. I will have to cut your throat, he told her. She allegedly again replied yes.
Speaker 5: Oh again. I don't know. Does she believe this is literal? Does he talk?
Speaker 1: Does he kind of explaining that this is actually like or is it just metaphorical? Do they really think? I don't know.
Speaker 2: So much of his rhetoric is like talking in terms that are apocalyptic and violent, but what you mean isn't literal? Up to this point, maybe people are like, well, you can't possibly mean he's kind of literally cut people's throats, right, that'd be nuts.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a.
Speaker 2: Spoiler that is exactly what he means. So at this point, members are ordered to lay on the ground and throw away any cleaning or sanitation supplies like antibacterial soap or wipes that they had on them. Well, this was going on. Someone throws a wine bottle onto the floor, and Smith orders a follower to use one of the shards to slit the throat of a congregant who happened to be seated near where the bottle had landed. He told another male follower that in order to be worthy of heaven, he would have to let one of Smith's lieutenants cut his throat with a knife. This guy got so far as to lay down in front of a dude who had like a knife when he realized like, oh my god, this guy's gonna actually cut my throat, and he fucking runs, He like bounces. He's like, oh shit, you meant this. This isn't just some sort of a fucking thing we're doing.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: And Smith's follower with the knife, a guy named Plumber, chases both of these guys, who like both of these guys flee the ark at this point when they're like, oh fuck, we're actually going to get right. No, no, no, He chases both of them ounta and he stabs them both in the back, wounding both of these men. Meanwhile, back inside the arc, Smith finds Michael Brown, the man with kidney failure who had left the hospital on his orders and the pastor told him, you have to die, but you will write because I am the resurrection and the Light. Now, this guy is still wheelchair bound and is still taking IVY medications, and Smith pulls the tubes out of this man, causing him to bleed to death. While this is happening, he turns his attention next to Taneka Gardner, who had already agreed to have her throat cut earlier for the Walrus. Smith then handed a knife to a seventeen year old follower named Billy, who instructed to cut Gardner's throat, but Billy hesitated, later saying that he remembered that one of the ten commitment states thou shalt not kill. Smith's right hand man, Andre Ruddick, stepped forward and, at Smith's urging, allegedly cut Gardner's throat. She died shortly.
Speaker 1: Thereafter Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: So at this point, two people are dead inside the church and two more have been stabbed outside. Some parishioners have gotten the fuck out right. Other people flee when it becomes clear he's actually going to be killing us all, and they call the cops, right, although I should also note one of the people here is a police officer, one of the parishioners, and I don't think it's him who calls the cops, because he might have been down. It's unclear precisely who ordered what. But when the cops show up, members of Smith's church open fire. Some of them have guns, and the police start shooting back, and we get a little bit of a Waco situation on our hands here. Yeah, Plumber charges the cops with his still bloody knife and is shot and killed by the police, who themselves have to call for backup from the military because they're just not prepared to deal with this whole situation. The church crowd is fully split at this point. A lot of people have fled in sheer terror, but a number of them charge the police. Billy who'd cut Tanaka's throat also gets shot in the chest trying to rush the cops, but he ultimately survives. Smith is eventually arrested along with one of his higher ranking lieutenants, and the police begins searching his properties to try and figure out, like, what the fuck happened to you? Right from the perspective of cops, think of how wild this is. You know about this church. It's a normal like evangelical church, and then one day you show up and there's people with their throat slit and like stabbed out in front. And you show up and people start shooting at you and charging you with machetes, and you're like, oh my god, what the fuck is happening here? It's just like completely disorienting to everybody, so less than two weeks after this goes down. You know, Smith is in custody and incarcerated, and while he's being driven to Kingston with police escorts, the officers driving him take a detour that lengthens the drive, and then his vehicle crashes into two oncoming vehicles. Smith dies at the scene, along with a twenty six year old officer in the car with him, and two other officers are badly injured.
Speaker 5: There is a.
Speaker 2: Lot of immediate speculation like, oh, okay, so he was murdered, this is a setup because of what he knew or whatever, like something shady has gone down here. A post mortem revealed that Smith had basically taken off, like like grabbed the driver's shoulder and pulling him to cause the accident. Yeah, that's the official story. I don't know, it's there's some weird stuff here. Although if the if the state orchestrated this, they also got a cop killed with him. But you know, I don't know. I don't know what happened. I don't necessarily need to believe that anything sketchy happened. But this guy, like probably a lot of people who don't want him testifying. Also because of some of the shit that he's done. So it's not like inherently weird to be like, well maybe something went on here. I don't know, but yeah that's the story if the other Kevin Smith fuck me, oh wow, yeah that is related quickly huh.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to grab Truman at the end. I was like this is bad.
Speaker 2: I needed Yeah, this is like fucked up, and then like what right to throat cutting very quickly.
Speaker 1: Making the guy in the wheelchair bleed out, and then trying to get a seventeen year old to slit a woman's throat. It's bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really feel for like Juvon who has to be thinking this whole.
Speaker 1: Time, like, and all the fucking money is my question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, that's an interesting question. Obviously a lot of it gets bribed out. They do find he has a property listed for like three hundred and thirty grand. After he dies. There's a number of other properties, like several million dollars in real estate that get auctioned off. But it looks like, based on the cost of maintaining everything, was not all that far from what was coming in, So there may be a degree that like maybe as he had gotten crazier and more focused on anti COVID shit, right, It's possible that, like maybe there was a decline in the number of members in the amount of money that they had, and he was losing the ability to like fund what he was doing, right, and so maybe after.
Speaker 3: The big drift, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, time for a swan song perhaps.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, well yeah, that's ruined my day.
Speaker 3: Thanks, yep, yeah, thanks great, have a wonderful weekend. I guess have a.
Speaker 2: Great time everybody. Yeah. Maybe, I don't know, Like a lot of all of this is so downstream from like what happened to everyone during COVID, yeah, or a lot of people during COVID, like the the fact that like the lockdowns really supercharged the spread of a lot of propaganda that really damaged a lot of people's like like cause you see, like this guy is a significantly different logical actor in a lot of ways after that happens, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Uh it's bleak, Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: All right, what's the name of your book? One more time for our listeners, Double Axe and Pop Amazing.
Speaker 3: Check it out and get at commercial type dot com and some bookstores.
Speaker 2: Sweet Excellent.
Speaker 1: Listen to a Wait Days podcast wherever you get your podcast. That's by Jake Candrahan and uh touch grass after listening to this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna go touch so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, peda dog if they want you to, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Peta dog if they want you to touch some grass if you think the grass wants you to, and check out check out Molly's new podcast.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when is it? When is the podcast coming.
Speaker 3: Coming out this fall?
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Super exciting.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, all right, everybody.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards