Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. We'll head to the Combine the Monday morning. Quarterback Albert Breer will stop by a few things to discuss with him. Phone calls always welcome, EH seven to seven three. DP Show email address depa Danpatrick dot Com Twitter handle at DP Show. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: And we have just.
Speaker 2: Received a couple of new stat of the Day songs. Marvin, do you want to showcase those? Debut those?
Speaker 4: It's just a it's just a saturn the day.
Speaker 3: Heyo, it's just a saturn of the day. It's just a.
Speaker 4: It's just a saurage of day.
Speaker 5: No video clip, just a clip.
Speaker 2: Trip down them.
Speaker 3: Relane, It's it's just a saturage of day. Okay, all right? Who is that?
Speaker 4: That is?
Speaker 3: Cody and Florida, Hody and Florida. All right? What else do you have?
Speaker 6: Set of the days? Seat of the days hundred get ready for the Seat of the Day. It's a real doozy and it's happening today. I hope you're already because it's on the way. And now here's the super duper jump and Hooper what the whooper set up that day?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: Does he have a bag of f forks? He's bang amries castanets. Okay, uh, you know what. They're making Pandora sound even better. That's when you play Pandora too. That's when you that's when we play Pandora.
Speaker 3: Stant of the Jay, Start of the Jay. We love your arm. Stat of the Day, Thank you, Pandora. There you go.
Speaker 2: If you would like to submit a stat of the Day song, feel free to send it to the website. Send it to Tyler operator standing by actually sitting by taking your phone calls. We'll have a poll question play of the Day stat of the Day as well coming up eight seven seven three DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Gene Hackman passed away at the age of ninety five. He was living in New Mexico. I believe Santa Fe And when you think of Gene Hackman, at least when I think of Gene Hackman, I think of Normandale in the great sports movie. Hoosiers. Actually it's a great movie. It's it's not just limited to a great sports movie. That's a and a lot of times when we think of a sportsman like Rudy is not a sports movie. Rudy is about the underdog who gets a chance. Hoosiers isn't a ketball movie, but it has basketball in it. It's about life in a small town. And I think sometimes we make the mistake of saying, oh, what a great sports movie. Bull Durham is not a baseball movie. It's really about a guy who's been sent to the miners.
Speaker 3: He's going to help.
Speaker 2: It's about relationships, and you know, but we use, you know, the focal point, the the centerpiece is sports. I think a lot a lot of times with these movies or we think of that, but it's really more than that. And Hoosiers was that. It was about relationships. And Gene Hackman was wonderful. And I spoke with, you know, the actor who played Jimmy Chitwood, Maris Volanus, and he had no acting experience, he wasn't even really a basketball player, but he played that role so well. And we'll bring back a portion of the interview I did with him a few years ago where he talked about all the actors, well want to the actors, people who weren't even actors, who just went and auditioned and they got a chance to meet Gene Hackman, and the role that Hackman played for them getting ready to be actors in the movie Hoosiers. But he passed his way at the age of ninety five. Now there's other movies. I go back when he was Popeye Doyle the French Connection, and he had his little hat that he wore and he was going to catch he was going to catch that drug dealer from France and never did.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 7: Seaton a little more recent but one that I always forget about. But man was he great in The Royal Tenenbaumbs.
Speaker 3: Yes he was.
Speaker 7: That was a phenomenal role that was. That's a great movie. But man was he He was so good in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were so many of those movies that I mean, that's that's quite a We talked to Kevin Costner years ago in New York and he talked about working with him on No Way Out movie and just talked about Costner saying, I knew I had to up my game because I was going to be acting alongside Gene Hackman. But I still go back to the replacements with Keanu Reeves the quarterback, and I don't know, Like, look, Paul Newman was in slap Shot, and that's what made Slap Shot even more brilliant because Paul Newman, legendary actor, was willing to play this down and out minor league hockey coach and Gene Hackman in the replacements, Like I kept whenever I would see the movie, I go, how do they get Gene Hackman to me in the replacements?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's it's not a legendary, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, have you seen the replacements great sports movies of all time? That's not going to be in the category Alex on Jeopardy. But and Keanu Reeves, I think had done Speed. He had done the movie Speed and Matrix, so he had a little bit, you know, little bit of a resume. But Gene Hackman and all of a sudden he's the coach and replacements and I go, okay, all right. Although Gene Hackman did think that his career could be over. In Hoosiers, he acted alongside Dennis Hopper and they did talk about it, you know, off screen, like this could be the end of our careers because of that. But Dennis Hopper, legendary actor as well, plays the alcoholic father of one of the players in Hoosiers. But Gene Hackman aged ninety five and feels like everybody has their favorite. He was what Lex Luthor and Superman? Yeah, I never saw it, never saw the movie, didn't see the first one. I still haven't seen the first Star Wars, so I'll get around to it one of these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, there's a story.
Speaker 8: I looked it up after you brought it up that Keanu Reeves was in the replacements. He was set to be in the replacements and they got interest from Gene Hackman and they were shocked. But he is pricey, So Keanu Reeves said, you can cut my salary if it gets Gene happened in the movie. I don't know if that's a true one.
Speaker 4: That's a legendary Hollywood story.
Speaker 3: Todd reach out to Keanu Reeves.
Speaker 7: We're on it.
Speaker 9: Did you see any of the Superman movies, by the way, with General Zod And there was one with Richard Pryor, And there's a bunch of them.
Speaker 3: No, none of the Superman.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: That was the note that I said earlier that I hadn't seen. I didn't see the first one.
Speaker 4: Thought maybe you checked out one of the sequels.
Speaker 2: It would be odd to see two and three without seeing the first one, kind of standalone. And I'm not going to watch the original Rocky, but I'm going to watch three and four.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Eton isn't it crazy?
Speaker 7: Speaking of the Superman movies that the first one, the first Superman was George Reeve, and then the next one was Christopher Reeves.
Speaker 2: Hm was that he was the that was the TV series George Reeves, George Reeve. I think Christopher Reeves, I think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I.
Speaker 7: Say George Reeve was in the TV Showeorge Reeves has an S and then Christopher Reeve. Yes, oh that's what is I have it backwards, Yeah, but yeah he was. He was in the TV show.
Speaker 8: And we also just referenced Keanu Reeves. Oh, in the same segment dan Reeves was a consultant.
Speaker 9: What Dan Reeves was a consultant on the stupier member.
Speaker 3: You had to get that line out of here. I thank you. We didn't hear it the first time.
Speaker 8: But you know, yes, Paul, it is interesting that some movies give you a level of immortality. There might be better movies, bigger movies that Gene Hacken was in, but with sports movies, so those will be talked about on sports radio and TV forever. And Hoosiers is it really is the one seed and then it goes down from there If you look at all those lists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it depends. You know, people love Bull Durham, they love Rudy, those are usually the top ones. But uh I loved I loved Hoosiers because it's just small town. It's in Indiana. Uh I could relate to a little bit of it. The scenery is so underrated, you know when they do those bus trips, we're going to their games and just the landscape that you had now. Granted it's not exciting because it's a lot of cornfields and barns, but I could relate to it. So Geene Hackman passing away at the age of ninety five. Michael in Chicago, Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Good morning Dan, Good morning Dan Utts. Is what you guys missed on the pre show introduction you've missed a couple of great movies that he did. One of the best to ever think he did was The Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 5: He was unbelievable in that is the mean sheriff in the town of Big Whiskey, if you remember. And he was good in the firm he played.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we couldn't do all of them, Michael, I mean, I mean the compliment is we couldn't get to all of that. But we are a sports show. That's why we brought up Hoosiers. But you're right, the Firm with Tom Cruise, he was very good in that. But uh, we we've taken a trip down memory lane.
Speaker 3: We just sent margin Mississippi burning an apology.
Speaker 5: Go God.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to apologize to all the Hackman fans and of course mister Hackman rest in peace that if we didn't get all the movies mentioned where, we can't do the entire show on Gene Hackman. Let's see NFL considering overtime tweaks. We'll talk to Albert Breer about this, and maybe they're going to get rid of the chain Gang. There's going to be a digital spotting of the football. So these are some of the things they're discussing at the combine. I've been saying all along about the digital spotting of the football. It is so random when you see the official grab the ball and put it down after somebody's made a catch or a run, and you're going, really there and it's just random, And I thought, can't we come up and we accept it. You're like like the Bills against the Chiefs and the playoffs. You're like, uh, I think he got it, and all of a sudden, you go, he didn't get it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I do like the chain gang when they bring it out and then they stretch out the chain. I think we all like that. I don't know if we're going to have that. Maybe you do a kind of a video component of that. If you're watching on TV, like.
Speaker 3: Loop loop blop, bloop bloop.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden you see it's a first town and you get a you know whatever sound effect there are you saying, just.
Speaker 8: Recreate the digital marker and and have the same anticipation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, perfect, just go gas price is right ish?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, that's what is that? Uh? That game of a mountain clown law dude, dude, it on.
Speaker 4: The mountain climber guy and then he falls off the cliff.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought it was this one. You spin the big thing you spin. Yeah, yeah, it could be that too. Okay for the.
Speaker 9: Showcase Showdown, ye try to get on that. You got to get close to it. You got two spins to get close to.
Speaker 3: A dollar cliffhanger?
Speaker 2: Is that the name of the hell of a segment? We're gonna submit this for the Sports Emmy. Oh yeah, this is this is how we lose it instead of this how we do it?
Speaker 3: Todd, This how we lose it. That's what Jordan and Patrick doesn'tect.
Speaker 2: My Pistons won. The Pistons won again. They beat the celt You got to take them seriously. They're in the playoffs right now. I think they have the sixth best record in the East. They won eight in a row. It's a young team, fun team. Those are always the ones that make me nervous. You know, when you get to the playoffs, you got to play against the team may not know what the hell they're doing come playoff time.
Speaker 3: But sometimes they don't have pressure on them.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, Ski Buddies, question Mark question mark. We'll have that story for you coming up. Another betting investigation the University of New Orleans basketball team. There's probably five or six open investigations into college basketball game fixing. They got to do away with prop bets said that last year. Got to do away with that because if you're a kid at the University of New Orleans, you're not getting an IO. Your team is terrible, and I'm just going to give you a hey, this might be something that played out. You're not going to the NBA. Who's going to notice we're New Orleans. We're not any good. We've won four games, so what you know, I missed a shot, you know the over under. We're playing University of Texas at Rio Grand. Nobody's going to know. Well, Vegas has to know. This is what Vegas does. They're the watchdogs because this is their business. And a lot of times you'll see these aren't big time programs because the big time programs they're getting taken care of. It's when you play at these smaller schools that maybe you have the temptation to go, you know what, be nice to get a couple of one hundred bucks, a thousand bucks here, whatever it is there's a lot of investigations going on, open investigations in this I think there's been an open investigation into Temple basketball for a couple of years now, and there's going to be more. But get rid of prop bets for college athletes. Certainly that I don't think they'll do it with the pros, but at least the college athletes, because they can be they can be lured, they can be tempted because they don't have that money. You make it to the NBA. You're making money college basketball not the case. All right, phone calls, we'll get to those. We'll settle on a poll question. We'll head out to the combine. Albert Breer, the Monday morning quarterback, will join us on a Thursday morning. We'll talk to him about the NFL considering a tweak to overtime and the digital spotting of the football and the other things going on, the ancillary things with the draft and possible trades, and Tom Brady Matthew Stafford seen in Montana skiing together. So we got a few things talk about today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ski gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we're back after this in the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You can catch us weekdays from to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 3: Something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Very busy man. He's the Monday morning quarterback, but he works other days as well. Don't want you to think that he only works on Monday. He's Albert Breer joining us from them in Indianapolis. Thanks for joining us. Let me start with tweaking overtime. What the NFL is proposing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so they want to formalize or at least look at formalizing the rules so it's the same from the regular season to to the postseason. And as you know, you know, Dan, what they did to amend the rule in the postseason after you know, Super Bowl a few years back was to ensure that both teams would have a chance to have the ball in overtime. And you know, whether or not they go to that or tweak it further, I know, you know, Troy and Vincent had talked about reimagining the whole thing all together.
Speaker 4: I don't think we'll go to, like, you know, a college version of overtime. I do think they.
Speaker 11: Want to maintain some of the elements of a normal game flow that you have in the way that overtime has been played in the NFL forever.
Speaker 4: But you know, I I I think the general idea is.
Speaker 11: To come up with a solution that would work for both the season and the postseason.
Speaker 2: The Brady Matthew Stafford's story of skiing together in Montana, like, do you have the real story of this, because there seems to be conflicting stories of this was something that was planned, and then there's another story that says that it was random that they ran into each other in Montana.
Speaker 11: I mean, I can say that that is and you may be familiar with the place, but that's a pretty high end club in Montana that people on that level, that level of celebrity are at and spend time at, and so the idea that they would unintentionally run into each other is not far fetched.
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly how that happened. I don't think that. I'm not you know, I don't know for sure.
Speaker 11: I haven't dunk into it quite as much yet, but I don't think I I I don't know that Brady invited Matthew Stafford there.
Speaker 4: Matthew Stafford, I know had been.
Speaker 11: There in the past, and so again not that unusual that it would happen, But I do think it shows how Brady is really a part of what the Raiders are doing now, and Brady, you know, is an integral part of their of their interview process of convincing head coaching and general manager candidates that it was a better job than it has been in recent years and that and then ultimately, you know, they wind up hiring two guys that Brady's got a relationship with, Pete Carroll of course, who he competed against for me all those years, and and John Spotech, who he became pretty close with over the three years they spent together in Tampa. So I think the Raiders are serious, a serious suitor for for Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 2: But this wasn't tampering that if Brady permission okay, okay.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean Stafford at permission out and Stafford's had permission Dan for over three weeks now, like Stafford got permission to speak with other teams starting during Super Bowl week. So I believe it's either right at three weeks or just over three weeks that he's had permission to go out and speak to other teams.
Speaker 3: What is the market for Matthew Stafford more than.
Speaker 11: The Rams want to pay right now, I think is the best way to describe that.
Speaker 4: For those who don't know.
Speaker 11: He's on the books for twenty seven million dollars in cash in twenty twenty five, and that number was lowered by four million dollars because they borrowed that four million and another million from twenty twenty six to give him a five million dollar raise in twenty twenty four, which isn't a raise at all if you're just borrowing from one year and giving it to the and putting it in another, which is why I think everybody knew when they made that contract adjustment after a really tough six months ago, that they.
Speaker 4: Were going to be back at the table again.
Speaker 11: And the way Stafford's looking at it is the quarterback market has materially changed. There are nine quarterbacks making over fifty million dollars a year, and his deal at forty million per is fifty percent below the top of the market, which is Dak Prescott.
Speaker 4: At sixty million.
Speaker 11: So the Rams basically said to Matthew, all right, like, well, if you go out and see what the market is, and go out and see what you can get, and I don't think they use the word trade specifically with him.
Speaker 4: But once you kind of.
Speaker 11: Let him out of the building and let him go do that to go and see his worth, there's some risk involved, and the risk is that the way he sees his his worth is going to be matched with the way other teams see.
Speaker 4: His worth, even at thirty seven years old. And that's what happened.
Speaker 11: Matthew found teams plural that we're willing to go to a number that was commensurate with where the.
Speaker 4: Market is at the position. So how do you put that tooth paste back in the tube?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 11: If you're the Rams, who I mean McVay still really likes Matthew at It's a good relationship. Matthew really likes living in southern California. But the reality is they told him he was worth, They felt like he was worth, acts he felt like he was worth. Why then he goes to the market proves he's Worthwhy? So, now, how do you reel that all back in? If you're the team, it's not an easy thing to do.
Speaker 2: The Rams, wouldn't they learn from what happened with Saquon Barkley with the Giants, where you say go out there see if anybody wants to pay you that kind of money. Oh wait a minute, wait, you're leaving. Granted, you know Stafford is thirty six, thirty seven years of age, but it feels but I'm always interested when I are curious when I hear an analyst go, you know, he wants to go to a place where he can win. Well, the Rams that that's a team that can win now, and they did win now and they almost went to the NFC title game. You got pook, You've got a great young defense, you got Pukinakua, you got Williams is your running back. I don't know, just feels like, pay him the money if you want to try to make another run at the Super Bowl, giving two years one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 11: I agree, But I think part of this is timelines too, right, Like does the RAMS timeline match up with Matthew Stafford's which Matthew Stafford's timeline is to win right now and to go all in right now, to win right now, And.
Speaker 3: You don't think the Rams timeline is to win right now.
Speaker 11: But yeah, but here, okay, So like let's say you're the Rams and Matthew Stafford is going year to year now, and you've dealt with this, You've got a really difficult negotiation.
Speaker 4: Now you want to see You're you're.
Speaker 11: In this spot where you're being asked to set another contractual precedent that maybe could be a problem for you down the line, and you're looking out at the market and you're saying, well, can we get Aaron Rodgers for a lot less than that and bring back the assets that would come to Matthew Stafford deal.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know McVay really likes Jimmy Garoppolo.
Speaker 11: That's gonna sound crazy to some people, but I think he believes he can win with Jimmy Garoppolos. So I think for the Rams part of this is our timeline may not match up completely with Matthew's timeline. We've got a team here that we think can win for the next five or six years. We're gonna have a lot of big contracts coming down the pike, and you know, if we're in a year to year situation with Matthew Stafford, that's a pretty tough place to be based on what we would what we what we might need to spend to keep him. And so that's when you start to look at some of the alternatives, Like, again, what id be Aaron Rodgers on a cheaper deal. Now you got more cash to spend this offseason to surround Aaron Rodgers, and then you get the assets, whether it's a first round pick, second round pick, whatever it is, get the assets coming back to us too. So it's interesting from that perspective. And I mean, shoot, it's I mean think about like if the Giants were to get him. Now you have Andrew Thomas coming back at left tackle, you have Milite Neighbors as your number one receiver, you have Tracy coming back as a young back. Maybe Cooper Cup winds up there, maybe Travis Hunter winds up there. Like that team I think could become a contender pretty fast.
Speaker 2: He's Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback senior NFL reporter. The digital spotting of the football.
Speaker 3: I like it. I don't know if it's a done deal.
Speaker 2: I'm always curious when I watch a game, how random it sometimes seems when the official spots the ball. Yeah, do you think we're how far down the line do you think we are with the digital part of spotting a football?
Speaker 4: I think we're getting closer, you know.
Speaker 11: I this is something that they're not going to just you know, do all in one fell swoop. You know, I think there's going to be some experimentation, and I don't think they want to be completely reliant on technology that maybe they haven't been able to do wholesale checks and all that different stuff with. But I think it's coming, you know, and I think it makes sense. You know, it's I always sort of think of like the tennis matches, right where how long have they had they hadech that technology at Wimbledon, the US Open wherever.
Speaker 4: You know, where they got the ball and you can see where the ball hit. You know, like how long have they they had that?
Speaker 2: Dan a decade maybe longer, right, They've had it for so but you don't have a lot of tennis players in the way of seeing where the ball hits or where it goes out where the NFL there's a lot of confusion going on with tennis. It's a player, is the ball in or out? You know, you don't have a lot of bodies blocking that.
Speaker 11: And I agree that like the technology is more it's more complicated in football.
Speaker 4: Because, like you said, the amount of bodies out there.
Speaker 11: But I mean, if it's been over a decade that they've had that in tennis, then wouldn't it stand to reason that they've made enough advances to make it on.
Speaker 2: A well baseball. Baseball's going to implement this. The question is not if, but when. I just maybe you keep the chain gang as a backup in case the technology goes down during the game.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it just because I've seen how random the spotting of the football is.
Speaker 11: It does feel that way, doesn't it, Like when you see a guy under a pile.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are definitely times for me where I'm wondering, how the hell does he know where to spot that? You know what I mean? Like, there aren't those and so it would I think to some degree solve that.
Speaker 3: Help me understand.
Speaker 2: The NFL Players Association gives team grades, so the players vote on things from is your team friendly? To the families of the football players, the food, nutrition, weight room? Does does anything happen? I saw the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their grade for treating families of football players was an F like.
Speaker 3: An F.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know what the treatment is, but how do you does anything change with this? I think the Kansas City Chiefs got like.
Speaker 4: It like they're ground like they're grounding some of these kids or something.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know, given timeouts or bad seats or whatever, not preferential parking. But does anything change when the players vote and it's an anonymous vote on your team.
Speaker 11: Yeah they I mean it actually has worked, and you know, I think we all like gravitate to the low hanging fruit. I don't know if you remember, but there was like a I can't remember what team it was, but there's a rat problem with one of the teams.
Speaker 2: I think, not somebody who was ratting things out, it was I think.
Speaker 11: The Chiefs have like folding chairs and there locker room instead of real shairs.
Speaker 2: But that's when you're supposed to win. Then you take care of your players. That's proof that you win. And all you do is keep the money. You didn't upgrade your Was it.
Speaker 11: The Cardinals that were like if you were staying late at the facility as a player, they were charging you for dinner like I don't know, Like, but here's the thing is, like some of this stuff is ridiculous, and I do think like making a public has shamed some owners into making changes.
Speaker 4: You know, what I mean like, and maybe that's the.
Speaker 11: Wrong word, but I think part of it has been.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, here's the deal.
Speaker 11: So these guys come from major college programs, most of them do, where they're in these facilities that are palaces, and everything is done to make them feel like the most important people on campus. And it has to be that way because in college, you're recruiting kids and you need to entice them to pick your school over and one. And now in the era of the transfer portal, you know, you have to convince the guy that he should stay when he can up and leave whenever he wants.
Speaker 4: The NFL has never had to do that, you know.
Speaker 11: So I got a lot of cases like these guys go from big time college programs, They'll walk into the NFL and their NFL facility will be way worse than what they were than their workplace in college. And there's really with the amount of money the NFL makes, there's no reason for it to be that way.
Speaker 4: I mean, these are supposed to be finely tuned athletes.
Speaker 11: That are, you know, measuring everything that goes into their body and spending every waking moment trying to put themselves in position to play at the highest level on Sunday, and so like, I think there was this feeling among NFL players in general, based on what a lot of those guys had as college players, that NFL teams.
Speaker 4: Were falling way, way, way short of where they should be.
Speaker 11: And I think there had complaints in the past, and they've fallen on deaf here, so you know, they go public. And I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of these things improved. I mean, the Patriots who've gotten killed the last couple of years in this are opening a new facility, I think in part because of the bad pr they've taken. You know, the Chiefs replace those chairs. The Cardinals don't charge for dinner anymore, which I you know, I don't think anybody.
Speaker 4: Charges for dinner anymore, which is like a good thing.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 11: It's funny that somebody did in the first place, but it took care of the problem in the back end, you know.
Speaker 4: So I think that's the idea here, and I do think to some degree it's working. Maybe not with.
Speaker 11: Everybody, but I'd say the great majority of owners who've been publicly embarrassed by these report cards over the last three years have have done something about it.
Speaker 2: On the back end, mel Kiper in his latest mock draft has Abdul Carter Penn stay goal number one now comes word that could need surgery. I know he had a bad older. Now they're talking about foot surgery here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So, like I, I think he's gonna be okay now, and I don't think it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna affect his draft stock. Like I, I still think he's likely. He's probably the leader in the clubhouse to be the number one overall pick. I think a lot of people would tell you he's the best player in the draft.
Speaker 11: The easiest translation in the draft, I would say Travis hunder might be the best player. But this is the guy who you look at him and you know exactly what he's gonna be in the pros. But you know, it's a foot and those can be problematic, like what I think his foot, back and hamstring, right are the ones that, like.
Speaker 4: You just you have to be yeah, yeah, yeah, you have to you know.
Speaker 11: Do your diligence on it, have your doctors look at it, and then if you draft him, something something you have to keep an eye on.
Speaker 4: So I don't think.
Speaker 11: It'll affect his draft stock. But I don't want to tell you that you know, a foot injury. You know, at a young age for an athlete like this is nothing. It's not nothing.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: I know you got a busy schedule, so we appreciate you carving out some time.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Albert.
Speaker 2: That's Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback senior NFL reporter. Will take a break. We will give you our poll question for the first hour, but up next Play the Day.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wapp Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 3: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 5: Shut this out.
Speaker 3: I go let us speak for three.
Speaker 13: Call him no hooks the conr.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy the Big Ten Network. That was Michigan State's first game winning buzzer beater since the second round of the twenty ten NCAA Tournament against Maryland.
Speaker 3: That's your play of the day.
Speaker 2: That's a coincidence, isn't it, Todd that's a major Is it ironic?
Speaker 5: It's tricky.
Speaker 3: I think it's more of a coincident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. What's ironic anymore? After Alanis Morris set isn't it ironic? And then it wasn't ironic? So is it ironic that it wasn't ironic?
Speaker 7: Yeah, maybe she was like like four D chess kind of thing, like she gave all examples examples of crappy luck, not irony, and that was ironic.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day brought to you by Benini Hottest Rookie's Biggest Superstars the Old Time Great. She only placed to collect them all but any trading cards official trading cards of the DP show, instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts started continue your collection now, Panini America dot net. What's the poll question for the first hour of the program, Well.
Speaker 7: We have one pole question and then we're kind of doing things a little differently too. Okay, we have a poll question up there right now, that is, how would you want calls in sports being made by people? Are all digital MM.
Speaker 3: Electronic?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You can only pick one. You can only pick one? All right.
Speaker 2: Todd reminded me that I was probably not I was not accurate in what I was saying about digitally spotting the football. It's for the first down markers correct, So it's not they're going to have somebody something that will digitally say, oh, that's where the ball should be spotted.
Speaker 9: As of this moment, the human element is still involved with spotting it out. Okay, they're going to still discuss that, but basically they're going to use the technology to determine whether something was a first.
Speaker 3: Down or Okay.
Speaker 2: Dean Blandino, the former head of officials, will join us coming up next hour.
Speaker 7: Yes, funny because then that implies that the problem was really the chains, which I'm.
Speaker 3: Quite sure it's not.
Speaker 7: It's really where the ball is spotted is probably the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Three inches this way, three inches that way. That's really the whole Yeah, the whole game.
Speaker 2: See, I thought they're going to have something digitally to help us spot the ball.
Speaker 3: These chains are never accurate. I know, those poor.
Speaker 2: Guys over there getting you know, seven to fifty an hour and they get to hold a chain and then they could get blasted by a football player going out of bounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 8: According to this article I'm reading, the first step is the digital chains, and then the next step down the road is the spot and the ball of some way being digitally spotted, so one has to happen first and then the other one happened.
Speaker 2: We were wondering about the Hawkeye Albert Bert the tennis you know, the digital spotting of the tennis ball. It first appeared in two thousand and five in a tournament in London, and that's first time we had that in tennis. But in tennis, you know, there's not bodies all over the place. It's either in or out.
Speaker 3: In or out.
Speaker 2: They got that from us. They did something to play in or out. All right, So we have our poll question today. We get some phone calls here as well, Zach and Knoxville leads us off. Good morning, Zach, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: ADP, thanks for taking my call. One just want to say, if if those are the stats of the day that made it on air, then I feel bad for Tyler for having to listen to the ones that aren't going to make it. But anyways, yesterday when you had Ryan Leaf on for that brief moment, y'all got into whether Dion would have any poll and where s your door would end up? And I thought it was kind of interesting his comment of he's not they're not the Mannings or he's not Archie, And I just wonder.
Speaker 5: Does the rest of the league feel that way?
Speaker 12: And how do you think that we'll play out with Dion's influence on where Sor ends up.
Speaker 2: Well, he did tell me that at the Super Bowl. He said he's already reached down to teams, so he's probably going to try to influence teams steer his you know, his son to a certain team or away from a certain team.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I was kind of surprised that Dion admitted that that he's already reached out to a couple of teams at the top of the draft. Now, what kind of influence If Dion's calling me and he says, hey, don't draft him, he's not coming here, Well, where's he going? He's not going to Europe? Oh he you know whatever, whatever, it's going to be all he'll be a problem or we'll make it a problem. I don't know if Dion is going to get to that level, But it feels like there's certain teams or a certain team he wants his son to play for. Does he want his son to go to the Cleveland Browns? Does he not want his son to go to the Cleveland Browns. Does he want him to go to the Giants? Does he want him to go to the Raiders. I think we're gonna we'll eventually find out first of all where he's going or who wants him and if teams will, you know, be truthful and say, look, Dion said he doesn't want to play for you. It's hard to keep a secret, certainly with the NFL because there's so many reporters insiders. But if there is something there sort of nefarious, then maybe ab'll surface. Let's see. And by the way, I purposely didn't ask Albert Brier about the tush push. I had to take one hour off from the tush. I am tushed out totally. I am so tushed out. And as my wife will say, you have no tush.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know? Can we push you to know again?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Next hour all ask Dean Blandino, head of the Officials, former head of the Officials. We'll talk about the Bush Andrew and Washington High Andrew.
Speaker 14: Good morning, Dan, and that's I just had a real quick thing on Genie been.
Speaker 5: In the NFL and maybe a satura the day.
Speaker 14: But I just remember it most for Agent Rupert Anderson in Mississippi burning. I just remember that movie putting into light the actual situations of small town southern cities throughout the throughout that time, and so it really brought it to life for me.
Speaker 3: But I remember in that.
Speaker 5: Role most NFL.
Speaker 14: I don't know why they just won't go to electronic you know, marking without the chain gangs. I don't know if they think it's fun, like you said, just kind of marching out there and doing that. Why are they only using it for first downs if they have the full technology to do it for every down? And my stat of the day, I'll take your advice. It won't be hard today. Doke hast eight conference wins by twenty five points or more and that is an all time record for an ACC season. That's your stat of the days.
Speaker 4: It's just a day. It's just as Saturn of the day.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's just assassins of day, no video.
Speaker 2: Clip, just a click trip down them.
Speaker 3: They just yes.
Speaker 8: Does it sound like something Usher may put together?
Speaker 3: No, it does not.
Speaker 7: That doesn't sound anything like anything Elsher wouldever even be associated.
Speaker 3: A little intro. We'd like to apologize, Yes, mister Usher, I'm sorry. Paul's comments do not speak for the group retracted. Retracted. Yeah, it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Just's hour two on the way, Miss Thursday. Get more of your phone calls. We'll talk to Dean Blandino, former head of NFL officials. Oh, we're back after this