Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Left Sets podcast. My guest today is drummer Michael Schreen. Michael, tell us about your new album, Drums of Compassion.
Speaker 2: Drums of Compassion is the record that's been an interesting journey for me, literally taking me over twenty years to get it out. It began with the idea a question I asked myself after coming home at two in the morning here in Seattle, when I used to go listen to all kinds of music and family was asleep and I'd come home and want to chill out, but I would listen to music like choral music or you know, it wasn't heavy music. And then it occurred to me, what kind of music could I make that I would want to listen to personally at two two thirty in the morning as a drummer. How would I approach that? And that's the question that started on the path.
Speaker 1: We'll continue the story.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I had a setup that I learned from percussion master, Japanese percussion master stonemul Yumashta, who I had the pleasure of working with in the seventies. Stone was somebody that I looked up to as a percussionist and as a kind of a force actually the way he would approach his career, and he had a setup that was like sixteen toms in a semi circle. We did a project with him called Go with Al Damiola and Klaus Schultz and Pat Thrall and Steve Winwood, and so his setup was this beautiful setup where you could you could kind of run around the stage and play the drums, and I was very influenced by him. It even goes further back. So I thought, I want this to be a kind of record where drums are going to have to be featured, but it's not going to be backbeats and it's not going to be like groove heavy. I want the drums to speak in a different way, in a different language than they usually usually are, at least in the States. I called upon a friend of mine, a synthesizer sound designer from Seattle named Jeff Grinky, and we began the project together. So it was very spacey, and I went into a studio we rehearsed and went into a studio called Bob Lang which is in northern Settle, Richmond Beach. And that's a whole story about that studio where he'd bob for years, dug into the side of the mountain of a hill, literally and I thought it would be great because it had like thirty foot ceilings. So we did recording there and it was too much. There was too much ambient reverb on the drums. And at that point then we went to London Bridge Studios, which is a very well known Seattle studio where Pearl Jam recorded their first album ten there and tons of other records, so that became the drums and the synthesizer tracks. At a certain point I kept listening to I thought it sounded too new age, and I started adding other percussionists as they came into town, like Ayerto Morierra, who famous for playing with Chick Corea, and Miles Davis and Jack D. Jennette, also Miles Davis zuk Heir who s Tablamster. And I started layering these percussionists onto the tracks and then just grew it and grew it and grew it, and I just lived with it forever. But there was a skip forward eighteen twenty years. I kept wondering, why am I not putting this sucker out? You know, I really love it, but what's going on with me, And when I changed insurance companies, they offered me to see a psychoanalysis for free for six months, and I said sure, and I went and I recorded every session on my phone, and then this issue came up, What's going on with me with this recording? Why is it that? What is it that's happening with myself that I'm not putting it out? Is it procrastination? Is it fear of what people will think. Let's get to the bottom of it, because I really love it, and I just talked it through myself and I came up with the I realized. I came to the realization that I really love this record, and it's almost like the world doesn't really need another record, you know. I mean, he's like, who gives a fuck? You know? And and I've put other records out in the past. I've done a lot of solo work and stuff like that, and most of it's left of center. Most of the stuff my contemporaries don't care for that I do. They're kind enough to say they don't like it, but they don't say anything. And so all along I'm following my own muse. But what I came to this realization is I like this record too much. It's okay if I don't put it out. I like it and I want to keep it that way. I don't want to just put it out and nobody gives a shit, or you know, people say, oh, Michael, here he goes again. He lost his lower chakras, you know. And and then once I realized that that was the reason it wasn't being put out, Bob, then I felt free to put it out. And I said, this is what you gotta do. You put it out, and it doesn't matter what other people think. In fact, this is the way you should make music. You should make the music that you love and that you dig deep enough inside yourself to bring out. And that's what you put out. And you don't do it with expectations of people loving it or adoring you. And so finally, you know, I was tweaking it until the last hour of when I needed to let it go for deadline for the release. And now it's out and I'm perfectly happy with everything about it, from the packaging to the artwork, to the musicians, the mixes. And so that's the story of Drums and Compassion. Also, I should say that they're interesting thing because when I started the record, it was a period. I remember that the Dalai Lama was talking about the human kind is coming into a period where what we need is more compassion, and I thought, well, Baba Olatunji, Michael Olatunji, the great African drummer who put out in the sixties a record called Drums of Passion, and in fact, Santana on their first album, recorded a piece of music from that record called Jingo Loba, and so I thought I'd play off of that and I'd go I'd call it Drums of Compassion, honoring Olatunji and also honoring what the Dhalai Lama said. And it turns out that I was able to have Olatunji give the opening incantation on the recording, which was done in another recording session with a group I was involved with, called a Praxis Pool, with all the original Santana guys aside from Carlos, and they decided not to use this incantation, and that's how the record starts out, Drums of Compassion. So it's been a long road and it feels really good to finally have it out and I can move on to other things.
Speaker 1: So for those who haven't heard it yet, how can you describe it? And what should they think when they're pulling it up online.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't have to think anything better if they don't. For me, it's a The desire anyway, was to be transportive and that the music really takes you somewhere you can get inside it and just let it be. Just let it be, you know, just let it watch over you. Also, I have a lot of material, but I ended up only using like thirty five thirty seven minutes worth of music because to me, an album, just because you can have seventy five minutes on it doesn't mean you should. And that I always thought the listening experiences when we came up in the sixties and seventies were just the right amount of time because it was A and a B side of vinyl, and the maximum recording time you should have on each side would be twenty minutes, so that the sonically it would sound better because the grooves are wider, preferably eighteen minutes aside, so I thought, I want to make this. I mean, it's hard enough to get anybody to listen to anything anyway, much less an album nowadays, and I'm very aware of that, and so I thought, make it, you know, make it thirty five minutes long, so it doesn't take up so much time, but it could still take you on a journey. I mean, it's not a buffet all you can eat, it's a fine meal.
Speaker 1: Okay, you had all these anxieties before you put the album out, you came to an inner belief. Now the album is out, other people are scrutinizing it or not listening at all. So what's that experience been.
Speaker 2: Like, Well, it's been very rewarding people who are saying some really beautiful things about it that it seems it's paid off that I went to where I went to myself to bring this music. Had some you know, kind words from people that I really respect, and so that feels good. I mean, there was somebody that said something online last week about I got this record and it's just horrible.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Okay, come on, come on, you know, so I engaged with the guy, not that I care, but I'm curious. I said, so, what were you expecting, because obviously you were expecting something else. He said, well, yeah, you know the stuff you used to do with Carlos, and you know Santana for and this that, And I said, of course, that's why you didn't like it, because you're expecting me to live in the past, and my job is to move forward. And I recommended some other records of mine that he might like better.
Speaker 1: Okay, you went to for psychoanalysis because you had that benefit from insurance. You learned about why you weren't releasing the record. What else did you.
Speaker 2: Learn, mean aside from this, mean in the psychoanalysis, Yeah, that's private, bob, Okay, no, no, no, I it was what I found was that I had been to psychoanalysis before, but more like couples, a couple of psychoanalysis, and that never seemed to work out, you know, and so it didn't didn't make me feel positive about you know, you know. But anyway, I found this to be a really wonderful experience that you couldn't shut me up, you know, and I just kept talking and talking that I'd listened during the week to the recordings, and I found what I've what I learned is that it can be very helpful to be engaged in psychoanalysis, if for nothing else, to just be talking and have someone to talk to and in a safe space and they throw ideas back at you, and you so, I mean, I haven't gone back to any After that, I felt like, ah, I kind of got what I wanted with this record. But I must say also that I wasn't living in anxiety about this record. It was just like, why the hell am I not putting this thing out? You know, I'm making all the other kinds of music in this but this one seems to be a different issue for me. And so once I realized that I loved it so much, I didn't want anybody to say anything negative about it. Then it was like, who gives a shit, this is what I love. Put it out there so you can move on to other stuff.
Speaker 1: How'd you end up in Seattle?
Speaker 2: My ex wife is from here. We had our first kid. We met in New York City. I lived there through the through the eighties. Interesting time to be in New York. And then we moved to the Bay Area, where I'm from, and we had our first son, Sam, and thought that she thought to move up to the Northwest would be a good place to start raising a family.
Speaker 1: So you grew up in the Bay Area. What was it like in Seattle? What's it like now?
Speaker 2: Well, Seattle's a wonderful city. The music scene I found because I was very would very much go out at night and look at stuff, look at bands, and I'm I'm also very curious about more avant garde stuff, whether it's dance or theater or and so I would go and explore that sort of thing. In Seattle. I've always been attracted to people like, you know, different, not mainstream artists, so so it was great, you know. I mean, it never felt quite like home to me. And I think that I realized that while driving through the Bay Area a couple of years ago. It's the topography. It's actually the trees and the and the hills and the you know, it's it's eucalyptus trees and oak trees, where up here it's pine trees. And it's this, that and the other. It's a wonderful place. I'm considering, you know, moving somewhere else, but I don't know where in the hell they go anymore. With the way everything is going, it might be better just to stay put.
Speaker 1: You talk about your flues, kid, how many kids do you have?
Speaker 2: I have two?
Speaker 1: What are they up to?
Speaker 2: Well? My oldest is graduate of Berkeley School of music and is in La producing and writing pop material. In fact, he's the girl that just won I guess it's American Idol. I think it's American Idol or the Voice. He wrote that and they put that as a single, so you know he's into that scene and starting to do well. My youngest son is a real estate agent here in Seattle.
Speaker 1: And you talk about getting divorced. You have a relationship.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, I do, happily married for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: So how'd you meet her?
Speaker 2: I met her at a friend of mine ran a biotech company here in Seattle, and she was his executive assistant. And I told I saw her at an event that I was invited to, like a charity event where one of the one of the founders of the Microsoft. You know, it's all a lot of wealthy people here because of Microsoft and Amazon and everything else, and so one of the first early founders had a place where it's kind of like jay Leno, you know, like a ton of cars that nobody else would have, and they held this event there and the woman that was the greeter there I was very much attracted to. And so I found out that this was his personal assistant and we had met before, but I asked him if he might if I asked her out. So I did, and we've been together ever since. Funny thing about that night, though, I told her about ten years ago, I'll never forget this outfit that you were wearing. I described the outfit and it wasn't until like six years ago. She said, I gotta tell you, I never had an outfit like, I'm like, wow, do maybe I have the wrong woman? No? But yeah, So that's that's how we met. Pamela. I know that a friend of mine is friend of your wife of Dorian Ringer Ross.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely from BMI in the soundtrack world.
Speaker 2: I sent this record to her and she is head over heels about it. She just loves it, like like crazy. She said some of the strongest things than anybody has said yet. So that's a good sign.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You mentioned in all Microsoft, Amazon people who made a lot of money there. To what degree did you interact with those people? Were there any opportunities there?
Speaker 2: No opportunities for me there. I mean I did have interaction with Paul Allen, who I found to be really enjoyable. I mean it's amazing. I mean really, it's like Okay, you go to his house and you can do some recording. The recording studio is an exact replica of Peter Gabriel's studio in Bath, England. And then and then he replicated that in la and on two or three of his yachts as well. You know, it's like before it was before anybody did this kind of thing. He had his whole music collection digitized and you know, you could just push a button and the music came up. Now we all do that, but at that time, I, you know, I really respected what he did is starting the museum here, which is supposed to be a Jimi Hendrix museum. But no, I haven't had opportunity to get rich. Even though there's rich people. It's a it's a different thing. I'm not a you know, there's ways that I thought I could have interacted with them in terms of Amazon even or or companies that like provide music, because I really love what music does in different environments. I'm a big fan of you know, it's like I don't listen to the blues for years, and then you walk into a tavern or something and the blues is playing and you go, wow, nothing nothing like the blues man. I mean in the right place, in the right you know. I don't know if you're like that when you listen, but so much has to do with your mood, the time of day, and the and where you are specifically, you know, physically. And I like to make playlists. I love to make playlists for different you know. I'll be in a restaurant and I think this is a really great restaurant, really cool, really hip, really kind of international, but the music sucks, and so I'll go home and I'll make a playlist for them that I think this would really make your place much better, much much like I found out later, like Riuichi Sakamoto did. I don't know if you heard about this. Where the great you know, the great piano player composer riu Chi Sakamoto frequented a sushi bar in New York City that he absolutely adored, the food, the chef, And finally, one day he went to the owner chef and he said, whatever his name, son, I really think you're a genius with the food. I come here all the time because I appreciate you and the place, But I would you mind if I make a playlist for here? Because I don't like the music that you play. And it's a great story. And they ended up writing an article about it in the New York Times, and then the playlist was published on Spotify, and I thought, this is so great. I completely get this. You know, I love the place, but I can't stand the music. So I'm a big fan of creating playlists for different sort of vibes. And I do it for friends if they're getting married or if they're doing this and that, just because I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: So did you give the restaurant your playlist?
Speaker 2: I did, And now I don't know if they've played it or not. I haven't heard like, oh wow, it really changes the vibe, man, thank you so much or anything like that. But it was a good excuse to put together like what I thought was like a sophisticated international cool vibe and much like it used to be in the was the eighties, when the when the Buddha Bar was happening. I think it started in Paris, and I always liked their playlist and somebody took me in there one night when I was in Paris and they were playing music of mine, and I thought, this is the fucking coolest thing. I mean, I'm in the Buddha Bar and my album transfer Station Blue with Klaus Schultz and my brother Kevin was playing, and I thought, this is this is what I like. I mean, I see my music going in different places than most people. I mean, what I do now is I look at websites like Sedition Arts, and I look at the graphic artists from around the world, Berlin and Japan, and they make the most beautiful you know, digital art, moving art, and I'll take down their music and I'll put my music in there, various pieces and see what works, and then if it works out, con attack the artist and I'll say, let's collaborate, let's do you know. I mean, I would like to see music more look for more interesting ways than than you know, like like more environ you know, complete environments, and and so I'm excited about I'm excited about the future in that way.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the beginning. How'd you become a drummer?
Speaker 2: I was, I had just been kicked out of a Catholic school in seventh grade. Why oh, some silly thing where you know, have a bunch of pens in your pocket, and one of them happened to be the kind of smoke bomb that you make from a from a ballpoint pen where you had a h what is it, a bobby pin? Bobby pin and a and a match, a wooden match, and so when you pull the bobby pin, it smells like rotten eggs and and that accidentally went off. And it was so funny because it was taught by sisters. And the sister said, oh, somebody must be having some problems in the neighborhood, and let's let's stop and say a prayer and and all that. So everything was fine until some kids, you know, actually went and told on me, you know, like really so uh, and it was a big deal. My father had come down and my father was like, come on really, And then my father got an argument with the main nun and and and I got kicked out, so that there went my There went my My career is being a priest, which I was considering doing. So I went to this public school and I must have been banging on the desk or trying to be funny. I got kicked out of the class, and I told me to go to the principal's office. So I went to the principal's office and I got scolded, And on the way back to the class, I passed a room that was the band room, and the whole percussion section was right there at the door, and the door was open, and it just stopped me in my tracks enough so that I got in trouble for being taking so long to get back to the other class. But that day I went and bought drumsticks and got three rug samples and started playing the drums.
Speaker 1: Now what year were we in and what was happening in music? Did the Beatles hit yet?
Speaker 2: The Beatles had not hit yet. It was just before so I'm not so with the years. But the Beatles had not hit. But I started taking drum lessons. I went to high school. I was playing in bands, and then in high school the Beatles because I was already playing pretty well and the beat the Beatles hit, and we used to my brother and I used to listen every day. We listened to the Beatles, and we listened to you know stereo where it's just the vocals and then the other side where it's just the band. That's so cool. That was like that was like, I mean, I feel the same way now. We were just talking about that here where now you can isolate tracks of of you know, recordings, and I still feel like that is revelatory, you know, And so that was very exciting. So I was into the Beatles. I was into It was also time of Jefferson airplaying Grateful Dead. So it was this time when the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia they were happening in Palo Alto and I lived in Redwood City, which is a suburb of San Francisco in between San Francisco and San Jose, and so they put me back in a Catholic high school, all boys high school, and I would take the train from Redwood City to Mountain View in order to make band every day. And I loved it. I loved being on the train. But stuff started to happen and it was like Jefferson air Plane. I remember going to a concert in Redwood City in Palo Alto, I mean, and it was Jefferson air Plane and it was Santana before they were they had a record, and I thought, I saw Jack Cassidy and Orma and I was looking at Jack Cassidy with those shades and you know his hair, and I thought, man, how do you get to be that cool? How does one you know, how would I go about it? And I remember seeing Santana as well, and and then I was into I got into rock music, but it was more like funk, and then I started getting into jazz. But I learned from a couple of friends in high school that all that San Francisco music was coming from folk music. It was just electrified folk music. Basically. Jerry Garcia, you know, was a banjo picker and Yorma was you know, acoustic picker, and they were you know. I mean that's the time when say, Richie Haven's album was out, you know, and it was that vibe, that was a strong vibe. So the whole scene that San Francisco sing was a very powerful poll for a young any young person, much less than aspiring musician, which I had become at that point. And I just kept playing with as many people as I could. But I never owned my own drums until after high school, and so I would always have to borrow drums for any gigs or anything like that. I was into it, you know. Then I went to junior college in sam Matteo, and there was a guy named Dick Crest who allowed me to be in the big band. And I've been into gene Krupa and that kind of stuff too, and he put me set me up. He said it was one of those school situations where professionals could join the big band, they could audition. They were the guys that were playing on Broadway in San Francisco could come down an audition and be in this school band. And for some reason he chose me and just said there's something about you that I like. And so I learned how to play in a big band. And at that period, that's when John Coltrane's happening, Miles Davis, and I learned that where the activity was, the excitement was in these small groups, not the big bands. I mean, I would go see Buddy Rich and I would go and I loved all that stuff. I would go see Count Basie and I loved it. But the exciting thing was happening with drummers like Tony Williams and Jack d Jeannette and Elvin Jones. And so then I pursued that and R and B. So I always played in R and B bands, and the only rock bands I played in were like high school bands. You know, you'd play a school dance or something. But I was serious about R and B. Every time James Brown came out with a record, I'd be down at the club and I don't know why they'd let me in, but I'd go down there and play the latest James Ground Brown groove. And so that's what I was aspiring to be, is really like a more like a jazz drummer. To tell you the truth.
Speaker 1: Let's go back. Your parents did what for a living.
Speaker 2: My mother was a nurse. She got up. I remember when I was in high school, we got up very early because she got up to do the morning shift and she would take me, while still dark outside to the train station to go to high school. So my mother was a registered nurse. My father worked at the Salmonteo County Planning Commission, and he was a big fan of jazz music. My father was so that there was a lot of jazz in the house, and there was a lot of Broadway music. My mother was into the Broadway and I mean I was totally into all that stuff too. I mean, you know, we got a problem. We got a problem right here in River City.
Speaker 1: Oh man, my mother played all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, uh, I used to have that stuff down like a rapper, you know. It's like and it starts with a piano of the room done in room pool and the rhymes with pool. That's right, we have Now when I see that stuff, I see how brilliant it was. West Side Story that was another one. I mean I knew every word and note of that record before I saw the movie. When we went drove up to San Francisco. It was a big deal to see that movie and the big screen because we all knew the music and everything already, and that was that was very influential stuff to me as well.
Speaker 1: So you talk about this brother as your brother, older, younger, and is he your only sibling.
Speaker 2: I have an older brother and I have a younger brother. The brother I was sitting around with listening to the Beatles was my younger brother, Kevin. My older brother Rich was serious into music as well, but he had gone away during high school to a seminary because he was going to be a priest and that didn't work out in the end. But everybody was really into music. Everybody's still into music.
Speaker 1: So, Okay, you said you took lessons, but you didn't own drums till you graduate from high school. Tell me about the lessons and then how you played in bands into what degree you played in bands in high school?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would, I would. My father would drive me to drum lessons. I had some really great teachers, but we couldn't afford a drum set. But I bought my first snare drum. I did my bike bicycle route delivering papers and I saved up and I bought a catalog Japanese catalog snare drum, and I bought another one, so now I had a snare and a tom tom. But I would always borrow drums. There was a kid around the corner who had one. There was another guy whose father owned owned a deli in Redwad City and they lived in Woodside, which is you know, a wealthy area, and he had a drum kit that he didn't play so much, so he would let me use that. My first drums that I bought was on the road after high school, and I bought him saving up well on the road, and those were the drums I played at Woodstock.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go a little bit slower. So when you were in high school, did you play in bands at SA Cops, bar Mitzvah's other events or not?
Speaker 2: Absolutely a lot.
Speaker 1: So then when you said you didn't get your first drums till you went on the road. How'd you get the gig to go on the road without the drums.
Speaker 2: Well, I borrowed drums for that. Some guy put a band together of schoolmates. He was older than us. I mean, he said, I'm booking. You know. We were a cover band. We took a train to Elko, Nevada, and from there we got in a car. We went to you know, played around Nevada and North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho. And during that period is so I had borrowed drums. But during that period I saved up money like per diem money and stuff like that, and I bought my first drum kit somewhere there in like North Dakota. And I knew all along what I wanted to get because I used to be under the covers with the Ludwig catalog looking at drums. I knew how much a drum key costs, and I knew this, and so I knew what I wanted. So I was just fortunate, I guess to either they had drums or I borrowed drums during high school to play these gigs. Some of the guys that I played with were They lived in you know, Atherton Menlo Park, so they had money. They probably had extra drums there too. You know. My father was very much in my corner for and supportive of me playing drums, and so I'll always be grateful for that. And he loved music, and he loved musicians, and he loved black musicians, you know, and we lived in the suburbs, but he was just like you know, I mean, there was one time when my brother and I went to Stanford University to see John Coltrane, and I didn't have tickets, and I'm not sure how it happened, but I ended up coming through the ceiling in the men's bathroom, which turned out to be the dressing room where Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison and McCoy tyner were and they're like, who the hell is this? And that's the first time I met Elvin Jones. And he invited us up to San Francisco where they were playing at the what's it called Jazz Workshop Broadway in San Francisco, and my father drove us up and of course we didn't realize that they wouldn't let us in because we weren't twenty one. So we stood outside like little puppies watching as what my father got all night carrying on with Elvin and Jimmy Garrison having the time of his life, you know, watching Coltrane.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back. You're in junior high school. You're in the big band. What's the next step for you?
Speaker 2: No, in big band, that's like junior college. So during that period, I came to a big decision because I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I was very interested. I've always been an avid reader. I still read a lot, and I was interested in writing. And there was a class where there was an assignment that I was finishing up. It was a writing class, a literature class, and I told the teacher I'm going to be one day late with this, but it's going to be really good. And he said, if you're late, I'm going to fail you. I said, you know it'll be worth it. And so it wasn't. Well. He gave me an f. I said, you know, I'm the one in this class that cares more than any other kid in here about what you're talking about or teaching, and so you know you're making a choice like this. So it pissed me off enough that I quit everything in college except for big band. And that was a period of time when it was like hippie time and it was us in them and straight people and you know, other people. And so I decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm gonna do I'm gonna take it, approach it like a job. So my drums were set up in the living room in our little suburban house.
Speaker 1: Just to be clear, you'd already gone on that road gig.
Speaker 2: That's right, because now I was after high school. I was in junior college and College of San Matteo, and so my parents went to work, and at eight am, i'd be there at the drums, like I said, I'm gonna I'm gonna work at like eight to five, you know. And so I practice and i'd have a real to reel tape recorder there where i'd slow things down to three and a half, three and a third, thirty three and a third whatever it was, and learned things. And I was taking lessons, and then at three o'clock i'd go to big band, and then at night i'd go play clubs around the Palo Alto area, and that's what I did for a good solid couple of years, and I really progressed because I was practicing all day long.
Speaker 1: Okay, in the next step.
Speaker 2: The next step was apparently some of the guys from Jefferson Airplane heard about me, or somebody told me told them about me. At this point, I was going to the film more. You know, that was the mecca. I mean, I would I've seen groups like the Yardbirds with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. You see Cream there, very much like Charles Lloyd with Jack Dee Jeannette with the Blues guys. And there was a thing that happened where you probably are familiar with this, but with Al Cooper and Steven Stills and Michael Bloomfield. All Right, So I called all my friends for some reason, my musician friends, and said, let's go see if we can sit in and and so they're like, yeah, right. And then there's one guy that said, man, that sounds like fun. Hold on one second. I was still living at home. He was living with a girl already. He came back after talking to his girlfriend and said, uh, I think I'm just going to stay in And I think that that night when he said that was the reason I didn't get married till I was in my thirties. So I borrowed my father's car and I said, damn it, at least I can go and say that I tried. I'm going to go and just say, you know, what the hell I mean. You know, they're right, probably nothing's gonna happen, but I'm going to go. So I drove up to the city, went to Fillmore West, walked in in Census, going past the apples, grabbed an apple before I could get my fear go up. I walked straight up to the stage to Michael Bloomfield looked up and I pulled down on his pants and I said, hey, man, I'm a drummer. You think I could sit in and it's like, okay, my job's done. At least I tried. I'm waiting for him to, you know, laugh at me or whatever. Instead he leans down and said, man, the drummer is a really nice guy. Let me go ask him. And I'm like, oh shit, you know this I didn't expect. Well. I ended up sitting in that night. I mean, it was so traumatic, I don't even remember it. But afterwards I was backstage, which is oh man, I'm backstage here, you know, with all these guys, and the bass player in Santana and the manager in Santana at that time came up to me and said, we heard you play, and we're thinking about getting another drummer, you know, And so they took my number, and I didn't hear from them. So what happened was somehow Jeff's an airplane heard about me and they invited me. Yorma and Jack, those were my guys, and they invited me to go to La They were recording Bathing at Baxter's that record and the first airplane ride I ever took was with those two guys PSA and where the stewardesses were really all cute and with short pink skirts, and it was special to fly back then. And Buddy Miles, I remember, was on that flight as well. And I stayed with Yorma. What was that hotel so where everybody stayed, you know, No, the other one.
Speaker 1: Well, later it was the Sunset Marquis, But before that it was like all those places in Hollywood, like in Hollywood and Highland between there and Libria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on the tip of my tongue. It wasn't Sunset Marquee yet but it wasn't Riot House at any rate. Here I am, I'm a kid. I'm down there with Yourma and Jack. And like Jim Morrison comes by the hotel.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh you're talking about shit on Santa Monica Boulevard, the.
Speaker 2: Tropicana Tropicana, that's right, right, So I feel like a like Forrest Gump, you know. And and then Eric Clapton comes by with a cassette of a group he's really excited about, really kind of raving about, and they were called the Band. And then I go to the studio and then David Crosby comes in and he presents the band with a tune called Triad, which the Birds didn't want to do because they thought it was too racy. And so David comes in teaches them the song and they put it down a record. And you know, that was like my weekend in La. It's like if I went back home, nobody would believe me, you know, And so I would go over to the Jeffson Airplanes, their mansion on Fulton St.
Speaker 1: Wa Wait for you, did you play when you were down there that weekend?
Speaker 2: No? I did not. They just brought me along to observe because they still had their drummer. I think it was Spencer Dryden, and so I'm not sure what the what the politics were, but I would go over to their mansion, you know, I would hang out and I would play. We'd jam over there. Garcia would be there. I mean, Ken Kesey would be there. Jeez. There were a night at Orma's house where it's just like unbelievable stuff for a kid that was like seventeen or something, you know, it's like and somehow it didn't work out with them. And so I'm back at my parents' house and I go sit in up there at the Fillmore and I don't hear from them, but as one does when you're a musician, you're always looking for free studio time. And I went to this studio in San Matteo, the same city that I went to college and where I used to go there all the time, try to get studio time. And I walk in. As I'm walking in, literally the drummer in Santana. We passed each other at the doorway. I go inside and Santana is there recording their first album for Columbia. They had been to La and it didn't They didn't like the vibe, and so they just had a falling out with their drummer, and a couple of guys remembered me from that night at the Filmore, and then they asked me if I wanted to play, If you want a jam, you know and lead. We played for a long time, and after that they took me in a room, I mean it was Carlos and Greg Rawley, I think Carabello, and they asked me if I wanted to join the band, and I said, you know, let me checked my schedule. So they followed me home, literally to my parents' house. I go in and pack a few things. I wake up my folks and say, okay, this is where I get off. I'll be up in the city and I'll be in touch. And I drove up to the Mission District with these guys and took my place on the Where was I on the couch? Yeah, on the couch, And now I was in the band.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you're.
Speaker 2: In the Yeah. So all of a sudden, all these things that I had worked so hard for and saved up for, like like a union card. You know, it took a while to get. They already had a manager, they already had a record deal. They had an office, they had a rehearsal place, and they they just plugged me in and and they rehearsed their ass off. You know, I think that two bands worked as hard as we did at rehearsals like Sighting the Family Stone and Santana. We were it was like a job. We rehearsed all day long, every day. And then after rehearsal, we'd go to the film wore we could get in for free and we'd go check the groups out, and you know, it was like quite a life. But we were working hard. And I soon realized, I said this in my speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, that this was no hippie love thing. This was like a street gang and their weapon was music. And it was really like that. It was like they're serious, you know. I mean, they'd make fun of you if you weren't doing it right. You know, it's like your mama that type of thing, you know, and so you had to get thick skinned, and you know, it's it was. It was so much better than being in Jefferson Airplane. It was just meant to be Jefferson Airplane. Like I listened to every once in a while not really, but like David Crosby's first album, which I played on and I listened to it, and it's that music. It's hard for me to play, you know, It's like I don't even know how it can sound good kind of. So the Santana thing was perfect because it was fiery and I was not at all a Latin drummer, not whatsoever. But I approached everything like a jazz drummer and it fit and it was just such a natural place for me to be musically, and then be friends with Yorman and Jack from Jeffson Airplane.
Speaker 1: Okay, the record, the album doesn't come out until actually just afterwards, talk like days. What was it like recording that album and to what degree could the band work out to support themselves on what we live it on.
Speaker 2: The band was quite popular in the Bay Area. I mean I had seen the band twice before I even went up to the film More. I saw them at a church days and I saw them at a high school, and I was a fan of the band. He even commented to my brother, this, that's that's a band I'd love to play with. So, like I said, you know, they were gigging a lot. They took time out to do the record. The record was intense because it was all live. It was all live. It's like, you know, we do a better take, we do this, okay. The guitars could punch in, keyboards could punch in, drums couldn't punch in, and so, and the demand of the intensity was great. You know. It wasn't like mister nice guy's stuff. It was like, motherfucker, come on, you know. And so, but I loved it. I just it was just perfect place for me to be. And then the record was done and we beg We'd be gigging all over the place in the Bay Area and some places down the coast. And Bill Graham was a big fan of the band, and he he told us about a big festival that's coming up. He said, you're going to play this festival and your lives are going to change after it. And I'm going to tell you right now, it's not going to be like anything that you ever experienced, and you don't you want to keep yourself in check. And so he prepared us for this festival by sending us out and doing festivals like the Texas Pop Festival, Atlanta Pop Festival, Miami Big festivals. You know, of course there were San Francisco bands playing, but other bands as well, and it sort of got us playing in front of larger audiences than say Fillmore's or auditoriums and things like that. And then you know, of course the festival that he was talking about was Woodstock, and Michael Lang and John Roberts and the folks that put it together had bitten something off, but they realized that it's a little more they can chew that they you know, it got big and they asked Bill Graham, which probably really hurt them because Bill Graham was already like the man to them, right. And Bill said, yes, they do it if he could pick a band to play at the show. And so he gave them like three or four options. I forget, I don't know who the others were. And Michael Lang and those guys decided they listened to Santana and they said Santana. So that's how we got on that show.
Speaker 1: Okay, the movie doesn't come out until April nineteen seventy, so prior to that, it's all press. What was it like? I mean, we've all seen the movie, but your experience, what was it like playing Woodstock?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because I mean we took a break from the summer of touring prior to Woodstock. We stayed in a house in Woodstock. We rented a house and we set up to play in the living room. So because we were always playing, and then we started hearing about the traffic problems. We started hearing about what they're shutting down the through ways that they called it the through way out in California, it's the freeway out there was the through way, so and that was like, whoa, you know, we can't drive there. We're gonna have to go to the holiday in where they have helicopters and we're going to have to go in that way. So we flew in on the helicopter, I think with the Dead I know, Jerry Garcia was there, Janie, and that's when we realized, you know, it's like, holy shit, I mean, look at this amount of people. This is like you never nothing you'd ever experienced before, much less that you're going to play in front of them. So so that was really something. But by the time we got to play there, By the time we got on stage, and one of the things that I realized in respect Bob is that as a band. We never thought of ourselves as quote unquote entertainers. We were like serious musicians band. We played to inspire each other, and so we were always kind of close, I mean physically, so that we could hear each other and that we could like look each other in the eyes. And it was a huge stage, and the other stages that we had played on that summer were huge too, but we always work close to each other physically, and it was the same thing at Woodstock. So the only frightening thing about Woodstock was I remember my thinking was, this is like being at the ocean and all you can see is water until you see the horizon, and it was it was like being at the ocean, except it was people. We were very high up as well, and so there it was quite a bit distance. And so in later years I thought, after being in Santana and stuff, I thought, it's more difficult to play in a smaller club than a huge place because you can see the people you know. And we had the benefit of us being a band that played two and four each other, and so so it was very intense. And the other thing is that I keep forgetting is that nobody had heard any of our music. Everybody else had an album out, nobody had heard any of our music. But by the time we were done, they loved us. And I think I attribute that to it was we were so tribal and they were tribal. It it just clicked. You know. The band was one big rhythm section and oftentimes not with little funky intimate parts like James Brown or something, you know, with this kind of guitar or this like every you know, the bandwidth was really wide and it was all playing the same rhythm at the same time, and it just it just worked, to say the least.
Speaker 1: Okay, Woodstock, there's a lot of press, those people paying attention, No you play. First album comes out, Evil Ways, is a lot of play on FM, kind of a hit on AM. The album is something. And then third week of April the movie comes out the record Triple Albums that comes out at the same time. Had you seen or where what was in the movie before it was actually released.
Speaker 2: Everybody says we did, but I don't remember it. What I remember is in New York City a year later and standing in line to see the movie with everybody else. So we're all of the band are standing in line and the show before the one we were going into comes out and they're walking out of the theater under the street. Then they start pointing at us, and prior to that that had never happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in the theater.
Speaker 2: No, we're on the stode.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, Now you're in the theater.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And we've all seen the movie multiple times. What are some of the highlights. Crosbie still's Nashy Young saying they're scared shit liss sly in the family Stone.
Speaker 3: But one of the iconic moments in the whole fucking movie is you doing a drum solo. What was it like sitting there in the audience and seeing the amount of time you've got in the movie?
Speaker 2: Me up, it was I didn't know whether just creep down in my chair and disappear or stand up and start shouting that's me, that's me. And also there were six of me up there the way they did the edit, and of course later I learned that it was Scorsese that did that edit, and I didn't know what to do. I honestly, you know, how do you react to seeing six of yourselves up there and only that then people gave it a stay in ovation when it's done, and I'm like, oh my god, you know, let me call my mommy. You know, no, I didn't think that, but it's like, what do you do. It's like a place you'd never been before, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, there were many fewer stars there in the world at large, unlike today, no one's as big. There are many people in the landscape. You are now internationally known, not only the band, but your face. You're walking around people now recognize you. It wasn't It.
Speaker 2: Wasn't quite like that. I mean I've always been and even then sort of like in between, like like for me, it's like I have enough fame for myself, thank you very much. It's not like I could go anywhere and people would point at me and things like that. It was still I mean, it was a huge film, but it wasn't like at the same time, it really wasn't like a movie star or it wasn't Jimmy Hendrix or you know, something like that. And but it was never where people would pointing at me going down the street. I would get recognized and and you know, but it was it was never quite like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, just after the movie comes out, you start recording A Braxis, which is just a phenomenal album, doesn't get as much respect as it should to this day. Tell me about recording A Braxis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was really an amazing process. We had grown so quickly from being a band that the first album is all live you know, I mean, this is like raw material. The second album was songs, and we started learning really quickly how to utilize the studio. Carlos learned really quickly, like how to punch in, and so that his guitar parts, I mean, they're classic parts to this day. You know, he's not just riffing, and they're memorable, and so you could see that what he had in mind was like memorable melody that would stand the test of time. We were really good at arranging songs. I brought Fleetwood Max Black Magic Woman to Greg Rawleigh.
Speaker 1: A little bit slower at this point. Many people know that that's a Peter Green song, but most people didn't know for years. How did you know the song? How'd you decided to bring to Greg rawling.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a big record fan. I am now always been, whether it's like the cool English groups or Burt backrack, you know, to study his arrangements, but or Henry Mancini for that matter, and.
Speaker 1: I got it. I got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that that that album was so heavy, That Fleetwood Mac album, I mean it had a well on it. It had black magic war it has not only that, the sound of it was so cool. It was like when you first heard John Mayle's Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton right or East West right. I mean, those were the sounds. You'd see them in every living room and you know, you just think about it and you smell the incense in the pot. But it was the sound and as well as the blues were during that time too. I mean, the hippies love the blues and and so these are kind of iconic and this record, to me sounded iconic. But I also thought that Greg this would fit his voice very well, and so I brought it to him and he learned it, and he kept trying to present it to the band at sound checks, and it took a while, you know, for it to sync in to Carlos or the other guy, but then it started. We started working on an arrangement, and I think one of the one of the best things about the band was how we arranged the tunes simple as they may be, to be dynamic and classic, you know, I mean, I mean Bill Graham brought us Okova, you know. Yeah, Bill was a salsa fan, and so he suggested that tune and then evil ways. Like these guys when I when I first started living with them, their tastes were. It was really fascinating to me because the stuff that they liked sometimes seemed so crude to me, you know, like like crude. Like for instance, one of the tunes that the band played, uh before I was in, I mean, they already did Jingo, they already did some other tunes, but was one called fried neck Bones by Willie Bobo. And all it was was a groove and it was fr neck Bones and some home fries wood, you know, over and over and over again. And I'm thinking this is so basic, you know, so rudimentary, It's like it almost makes me laugh. But to them, it was all about the groove, you know. And so in the arrangements that that we would create create for these songs, it was all about the groove. But there was also dynamics in the piece, like I think that the Black Magic Woman arrangement is really brilliant that Santana did you know? And Carlos is like his theme up at the top, and the drums the way they come in, and then the beat that I play. The beat that I play I learned from a record that I bought for fifty nine cents in a drug store when I was a kid. It was like bb King plays the cha cha and I pulled that out of the hat. But that's blues players were playing that rhythm anyway, so it's not like I created anything. But but yeah, so also with that record, I got to toot my own horn here because I edited the singles. I edited like like Oilcova. I'd go into the editing room and not tell anybody in the band and I make a single out of it because the band was kind of a jam band in a lot of ways, and I just had a knack for editing and I enjoyed it, and I was kind of fearless with it. And you know, this is the kind of thing that you don't tell anybody or they'll argue with you, you know, so just do it if they don't like it, and say, gave all the tape, you know, to the engineer. But yeah, that record was interesting also. We were doing it at Wally Hiders Studios in San Francisco on Hyde Street and which is now a den of iniquity, and that was just unbelievable to look at. But at the same time we were recording that, Creten's clear Water was recording their big hit album in another room downstairs. I got called down to play with David Crosby. David Crosby was down there. I just saw a picture of this like six months ago for the first time. It's me behind Crosby and then the Jerry Garcia and Phil Lesh and Neil Young, you know. And I'm like, you know, I don't even remember these things, you know, and or you think you do, but then here's a photo, you know. And this was all happening in the same studio at the same time. That was another discipline band was Queen's clear Water. They were different. They were not of the hippie ilk you know. I mean John Fogeli ran a tight ship and wrote tight songs as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta talk about a couple more tracks on that album. See if you have any stories incident at nesha Burg, anything you can tell me about.
Speaker 2: That absolutely that incident at at niche Borg is. Everything to do with that song has to do with a piano player that used to hang around us, a blues player named Alberto gi and Quinto.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He's Italian and a white guy who played with James Cotton. He was also like a militant black you know, even though he's white. He was a big black panther guy, you know, revolutionary type of guy with the beard, like everything's about Jacovara and uh uh. He lived with the bass player David Brown, but he was brilliant and we brought him into it to help us arrange some of these songs like that. He played piano on it, Greg Rawley later, you know, learn some stuff on it. But that arrangement of that song, I'm trying to remember the song. I think that was. That line came from like an advertisement like cleaner than this, some kind of like cleaning cleaning oil or cleaning liquid. And then that bum bum bum bum dundown. So all that. So there's like two or three sections just to the intro, so it was a little bit complex for us. And then to me is the most beautiful part where it goes into the domm doom and that part that I'm playing, I can't play that anymore. It was so it was so I worked a long time on it, and if you play, you have to play it lightly, but it's like a slow motion wise, just like GETT. It was pretty complex, but it was such a joy. It was just such a pleasure because this is kind of like my my Brazilian jazz light style. To play with Santana now it's like I can't even I can't even play that hard, you know, And so I just loved it. And plus what I loved was Carlos is playing, I mean, his melodicism and the way he would arrange his his solos, you know, which were they were not like the usual solos like a Bloomfield solo or a Claptain solo. They were parts that were, you know, burned in your memory. And I always loved playing that. It showed a certain level of musicianship. And then when it breaks open on the end to that slow halftime thing, I don't know, it's just sexy as hell. It's so sensual, and Carlos and I always were like there with that, you know, and he would bend that note and take forever to come down like a water, you know, and I was, you know, I'm like that guy, that the type of drummer that's the hopeless romantic, you know. So I'm like drooling and sweating and just like right there with it. You know. It's this music that moved me. There was another tune on that record, See which one was it? Do you have a list of the tunes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But you know, I was going to ask you about a track. My entrance to the album and the reason I bought it is a track that no one talks about, which I don't think is the track you're talking about. But do you have anything you can tell me about Mother's Daughter?
Speaker 2: I laughed, because that's Greg Rawley, right, This is what Greg Rowley brought this. This is like English rock, you know, to the band and I have a hard time playing that kind of stuff. I mean, it was like easier for me to play the other stuff and play this kind of Mother's Daughter. Let me see, I get it confused with I hope you're feeling better.
Speaker 1: Right right? You know, well, as I say, if it doesn't have any specific song, but it's followed, I hope you're feeling better? And then are you talking about Samba Patti or Sea Cabo or singing Winds, Crying Beasts on the koya. What was the other song you wanted to say something about it?
Speaker 2: It is not on that record, but I can comment on some of those songs. Samba Patti, now Samba Pati. I didn't play drums on that was played by our Timbali player and nic Roguin Conga player, Chipzo Arrayis. He had a feel on that thing that you know, it just brought the thing to life, and so I just said, you play it because I can learn it later. But we're making this record, and you know, he's kind of masterful at drums and everything, and so he played that. It's just so beautiful. It's simple, but man, it's a feel too, you know. And I knew the value of that song that was. It was like a Carlos classic. Same thing with Shako bo. I ended up recording it, but that rhythm is his k comes from him, you know these You know, I'm still the white kid from the suburbs at this point, you know, opening myself up to because he he was nic Roguin. Michael Kerrabello is of Puerto Rican descent, and and so it was a blend of these different things. It wasn't like New York salsa, let's put it that way. And so that that rhythm I would just transfer to the uh tom thoms for socoo. You know, that was new for me. You know, stuff like jingo even you know, goom goom, doom, goom goom. It's just basic. But I've seen a lot of cover cover bands do that stuff, and if it's not right, it's not right, you know. So I learned a lot from that. So what on na koya? That's Tippito again too, what's the other one?
Speaker 1: You know, let's see singing winds, crying beasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's Carabello. But that's me. That all that vibe, all that stuff, that's me. All the anything vibe and you know vibes bib her phone as well, and the idea for just the atmosphere. I set that up and it was a beautiful way to start the record. It was kind of a bold way to start a record, definitely right. I mean you could have they say had a hit first, but we were very much into like a vibe. And even that's because the arrange, the arrangements of the songs too, it's all like setting a mood. Really, but there was one other tune. I'm trying to think, if it's on this, maybe it's on another album.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to the next record. Your nineteen seventy one album Santana usually can refer it to as Santana three gets great reviews. Santana's Gigantic has a hit with no one to depend on, But it from the outside didn't seem as commercially successful as the previous album. What did it feel like on the inside.
Speaker 2: On the inside, it felt like trouble was brewing. The success of a Braxis and Santana as a worldwide band, and we went to countries before a lot of the rock groups, did you know, South America, Central America, places like that. We got kicked out of Peru by the president of the country. Drugs. There were drugs involved at this point. There was ego involved, there was money involved, you know, sex, drugs in rock and roll. Here you go, you know so much at such a young age, and you know, they hopefully they teach courses about that stuff now, but they didn't then. And you're kind of lucky if you survive, and then you're even lucky if you, you know, can think and still make the music you want to make. So that was a heady time. A lot of cocaine. There was a lot of cocaine around that period, and that that druggle do it. So Trpezzo had an aneurysm in his brain. He took some somebody gave him some acid and it didn't go well with him and he was never quite the same after that. Coke Escavito, who was Sheila's uncle, and Pete Escoveto were in and around the band at that time too, because they were well regarded Timbali and Latin players. There was also a band called a brack as Teca at that time that was their band and very popular, had a lot of great players. Coke Escavito became a big influence on Carlos during that period, and he brought in no one to depend on. Although I've heard that tune since by somebody else, like Tito punt or something. He brought in another Tito Puente song for that album, and perhaps the song but inside we were still playing well, but it was starting to split at the seams a little bit and it was difficult to make that, but it's still a great record. I think it's really a great record. Let's see what else is on that record.
Speaker 1: Well, you know we can move forward from there because there are good songs on that. But how does Neil Sean get into the band?
Speaker 2: Okay? So, like I said, Greg Rowley, English Rock, Right, So Greg and I went to see went to a club in Palo Alto where I used to play as a kid all the time, called the Poppycock on the University Way, and Neil Sean was playing with a band there. Neil was like fifteen sixteen and he just blowing everybody away. Now he was in Samatao. When I was in Junior College of Samontao. I was playing charts in the big band that Neil has shown father had written Matt shown and so Greg was like, holy shit, who is this guy? Now? This is what Greg wanted, you know, like for his songs. He wanted like a Clapton kind of vibe. And Carlos was as great as Carlos was. I know that Greg always wished they had this other thing. So he had the balls to propose that, you know, Neil maybe play with us. And and I remember there was one night Neil's in high school, mind you and he goes to the Berkeley Community Theater and he sits in with Eric Clapton playing Leila and you can imagine, you know. And then and then Eric Clapton asked him if he wanted to join his band. Can you imagine Neil going to high school? It's like it's like my it's like my trip to la Like who's gonna believe you? You know? And and then Carlos like it was so big of him to say, yes, okay, you know, we can have another guitar player in the band. And and that opened it up in a lot of ways. In some ways, so Neil was in the band. He had to make a choice between Santana and Eric Clapton and kind of heady for junior in high school or something, uh, and obviously a prodigy, very based in that Eric Clapton vibe. And so obviously he chose Santana because he's familiar with the guys and you know, we're writing the neighborhood and that sort of thing. So that's how Neil got in the band. And then that changed some of the writing. It's changed some of the the approach, but the guitar solos there came like two guitar solos and they were very different. But but I think Neil also kicked Carlos's butt too.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like the kid could play. And not that Carlos ever needed anybody kicking kicking is you know, he he already was one of the most driven people I'd ever met. So, but that's how Neil got in the band.
Speaker 1: Okay, the following album, caravans Aai your co producer. How do you become co producer?
Speaker 2: Well, I've become co producer because this is this was kind of my record, me and Carlos's record. And uh, but before you do that, what are the tunes on the on the third album I Want to Drive Me Crazy? What that tune is that?
Speaker 1: Well, the tunes on the third album are Batuka, No One to Depend On, Taboo to sant Loo, Overture, Everybody's Everything, Lagira Jungle Strut, Everything's Coming Our Way, and Paro los Romberos.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a Tito plantation. Yeah, it's one of those tunes that is one of my favorites. There's some good tunes on there now that you run them down. So what was happening? What happened? More and more was more success, more money, more drugs. And in another part of the music world, what was happening was Miles Davis, Bitches Brew, Weather Report, chick Corea, all this other stuff that was happening that I thought, this is where the shit is. I mean, you know, the rock and roll is rock and roll, but this is some new stuff. Me having followed the jazz thing and seeing what's happening is the jazz guys are kind of moving over to the rock vibe, at least playing a backbeat, and things are changing. You know that Bitches Brew Miles Davis went in the studio to record Bitches Brew one day after Woodstock. Wow, that's what Lenny White told me. So it's like there's change happening here and it's very exciting and and I was all over that and all over the Brazilian music that was happening music. You know, Sergo Mendez was doing really interesting things, and Carlos and I started leaning in that direction, and we also started getting tired of the lifestyle and we both got spiritual teachers. Now that started because John mcgloffin, he had you know, Streech of Noi and has done Mamavius Orchestra, which was like, like going to that show is like going to another planet. You know, It's like I'll never forget, like having to scrape myself off the wall after sliding down, you know, after hearing Billy called me in the volume of that band and it was just otherworldly. And that's when I realized, I am never going to play play like that in my life. There's no way I'm ever gonna play like that in my life. So don't even try, you know, find your own way and h and be happy. So so Carlos and I started bringing this kind of music into the band, like live, like even on last days at the film more we do.
Speaker 1: In a silent way, you kill it in a way, you do it better than the original. Oh unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And you know, man, it's just a groove too, right, Like that's a very simple way for like saying that Carlos is somebody to play a Miles tune, it's actually a Joe zallin All tune, right who started weather Report. But you could see the connection we after the third album, Carlos and I were so into this stuff that we and we were popular enough that we would we would hire weather Report to be our opening act on a tour so we could just watch them every night, you know, one one time with Bobby Womack, so I wanted to try to write with them. I love Bibie Womack, I love Maybe Staples, right, that kind of singer. So okay, So we go in the studio and we're very influenced by by you know, Antonio Carlos, Joe Beam and Pharaoh Sanders and Coltrane and Miles and and we have a new bass player now named Dougie Rouch who we met in Africa at that concert in Africa, and he was kind of genius with odd times and electronics ahead of his time. And we started playing this stuff and we did the album and it was very conceptual album too, I mean, you know, crickets at the top and the saxophone where I did twenty seven edits of Hadley Calluman solo to make it like a sound pastiche. And it's still a beautiful record. I didn't listen to it until the fiftieth anniversary, like in the last year, and I gave it a listen all the way through and I thought it blew my mind.
Speaker 1: Bob.
Speaker 2: I thought, wow, man, we really did some good work. So, but the band hated it. Greg Rawley hates hated it. Neil didn't like it. There was a roadie that we had named Herbie Herbert. I knew Herbie right, so, and Herbie was like, you know, Herbie was the guy that started putting tied eyes on amplifiers and he was, you know, a supreme roadie. But he hated it too. He was not only they hated it, they were pissed. Clive Davis was pissed. Clive Davis told me and Carlos your committing career suicide, you know, And but we loved it. And so Herbie was so pissed he said, I'm gonna start a band. I'm gonna put a band together based around Neil Sean and it's gonna be progressive, but it's going to be rock and roll. And Greg Rawley was there and that's how Journey started. So I always figure, ah, I had a big hand in starting Journey, which I had a piece of it.
Speaker 1: Let's stop for a second. Tell me about you and Carlos getting spiritual teachers.
Speaker 2: I think for him it was dramagloffin, you know, being with treacham Noy, which he and also Larry Coriel had been a disciple. I think he was thinking, Number one, I don't like the lifestyle of like these drugs. It's ruining the music, it's ruining this. And two maybe if I get a guru like that, I can play like them, you know, I don't know. For me, I was of the same mind. I was reading, already reading spiritual books. We were both like into Paramahansa, Yoga Nanda. We were. I mean I always wanted to. I mean, before I got kicked out of that school, I wanted to be a priest. You know. I was a guy that rode my bicycle to mass six am Mass every day, and I in my mind, I was going to be a servant of God. I was going to be specifically, it was going to be a missionary priest. Don't ask me why. So later, while being on the road for you know, two hundred days, I said, I'm a missionary, you know. And but it's the music, it's it's it's okay. So I started getting deep into reading all of the the Eastern religion books. I was very much into it. And and I went with Carlos to see shreepedim Noid for the first time in New York. To me, we both took a taxi out there and went and sat in front of him while he was like on a stage and he meditated, and the whole place turned white. It was really phenomenal. And and then back in the taxi, Carlos was like, Man, I think I found my guy.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: You know? I think that was really amazing, But I don't think i've I don't think he's my guy. So I ended up going with a which seemed like a different type of spiritual person named Swami Sachanda, who more or less brought yoga to the States in a big way. And it kept us really clear and clean. You know, we were meditating every day, we were eating clean, we had aspirations, and we let the other stuff go. And it became very clear, with no no question or doubt, that we wanted to move in a new direction. And that's how that's how all that happened Caravanserai, and and that's how the band broke up.
Speaker 1: Okay, a couple of things. What do you feel about all those spiritual insights fifty years on?
Speaker 2: I think I believe them all feel the same way about them now that I did. Then it's just that I incorporate them differently. But deep down I think this record Drums Compassion is just an extension of that. To me, this is an extension of Cara answer II. It's an extension of the way that I actually feel about music and what the power of music is. And then if you're going to talk about the power of music, then you have to talk about the power of pulse and rhythm. And I've very much always been into sound and frequency and vibration. I'm not a hippie, but I'm pretty out there, you know so, But I have a I have a better sense of humor now than I used to. Uh. I was pretty strict and hard on myself, uh and pretty a snob in a lot of ways. There's a lot of music I didn't like. I didn't like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, come on, you know this? That is more like I want players. But now I'm I'm much more open and I can accept just the vibe, you know, what, the intention, what somebody's doing. And but I still have the same hunger to find new music constantly, which I find that most of my contemporaries do not, you know, I mean I'm I love finding new music. I mean, whether it's like the English or Norwegian or Scandinavian jazz scene. The younger people who come up, they came up with electronics, but they came up liking Coltrane and and Pharaoh Sanders and so it makes for really interesting combinations. I just discovered this guy the other day. You probably know him. His name is Wren. You know, this guy so out there, Bob. It's so out there, but it's brilliant. I mean it's like he's got this song where he's talking to himself like two different like and it's so deep and intense, and you got to say you can say like sister is fucked up, or you say this is really interesting, you know. I mean, so I'm I'm of the mind that there's a lot of good music going on out there. And I read you all the time talking about, you know, how musicians keep barking up the same tree when that tree is like there's no more bark on it, you know. And that's why I'm curious to put my music in different environments now, with these digital artists or you know, immersive situations and and and you know, I mean, I'm going to be seventy five years old next week, you know. And I mean, I'm enjoying making my AI art as much as I used to love playing drums. And now that's a big area too. That's like, that's like, that's as heavy as talking about Trump or Biden. You know, you start talking politics, you start talking AI. But I see it as a tool and I think we're living in exciting times. Scary times, mind you, but but I'm excited by you know, what people are doing in music. You just you can't look on the charts. You can't look here or there. You got to look in different places.
Speaker 1: You know, let's go back and do some clean up work. So how does it end with you in Santiana?
Speaker 2: All right? So I had been thinking for quite a while that was time to leave. There was a moment where we were working on like I guess I called the Trilogy of our Carave answer, I I Barboletta, welcome care answer, I welcome Barboletta. And you know, it's like I thought it was me and Carlos, you know, we're taking this thing in a new direction. And then I also, you know, was a big fan of Brazilian music and brought some Brazilian stuff in there, and I hear Toe and Flora you know, are you familiar with them? Yeah? So they were in the studio one night. We had done a tune and that I had co written called Yours is the Light, and Flora Uh was going to sing it. I wrote the lyrics and she sang it, and my playing on it is one of the proudest moments of my Santana career. Playing this style of like Brazilian music, you know. It was It's kind of like incident Nicheborg type of you know, like, oh, this is really something I can be proud of. And then at the end of it, Carlos looked over at I hear two and asked him, do you want to redo the drums? You know? And I here two listened to it and said, I'm not fucking touching that, you know, and I'm like, thank you. I hear too. And that night I realized it it wasn't me and Carlos anymore, you know what I mean. It's like, if he in front of me is going to ask somebody to redo my track, it's like time for me to get out of here. So what happened was I was living with my brother Kevin, and I had this extreme pain. I had to crawl into his bedroom and say, take me to the hospital. And I thought I was going to die, and I said, if I wake up alive. On the way to the hospital, I said, if I wake up alive, I'm gonna have to do the things that I've been putting off and make some changes. I woke up alive. Turned out to be a kidney stone. Wow, and those suckers hurt.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've had a few, believe me.
Speaker 2: I know, right, geez, only comparable to childbirth. So so the band, it was the new band, you know, the original guys were gone, a new version of the band. We were booked for a tour, but I had woken up alive after making a promise to myself. So I called the office and I said I'm not going. I'm not going to do and they said, well, surely you can do the tour. It's booked, and you wouldn't do that to us, you know. Carlos came down to me and I said, I'm sorry. I have to keep the promise that I made to myself. I'm sure you can find somebody else. I'm not going, and that's why I left the band. So it wasn't on great terms, but I was the last guy to leave from the original band. But I felt like now it was different. What I thought was like the two of us, it wasn't, you know, so I mean, we're back in touch now. We talked for an hour yesterday, you know, stuff like that, but there was you know, that's how I left the band, and it was it was really wonderful. I ended up going down to Baja California to this health place. It's really well known, and I stayed there for a month. I brought my drums, I got super healthy, and I came back and it just think, okay, where do I want to go from here?
Speaker 1: You know, So how did you start Automatic Man or how'd you get involved there?
Speaker 2: Automatic Man was okay. So I went to see Pink Floyd the Wall at the Cow Palace, I think, and and I thought, now, like I wasn't into their records or anything like this, but I was always into performance art and I was curious and I wanted to start putting something together that now was real groove heavy but not Latin but like funk rock, you know, but sophisticated. And I wanted it to be conceptual, and so I brought a friend of mine up there, young keyboard player named Bayete Todd Cochrane, who was like kind of a prodigy in the jazz scene, and while watching the Wall, I told him like what I'd like to do, and we started conceptualizing and putting it together, found Pat Thrall and Donnie Harvey and rehearsed every single day at my house, like every single day. And then I also at this time had pursued Stomia Marshtaw and that was a recording that was going to happen through Chris Blackwell in London, and so the manager of Automatic Man flew to London to meet with Chris Blackwell, and we made it so that I could do both projects at the same time in London, and we made a brilliant album. And that's where I met Chris Kimsey and oh my god, I just enjoyed that interview so much.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. So that's how automatically I think we made a brilliant record, a brilliant record, and then they wanted to get rid of me for the second record and wanted to move to l A. I was like whatever, man, I mean, you know so, but we never did anything live well, it never came off well live. It was always kind of a disaster. But we do have this record to be proud of and we're hoping to do a re release with some extras and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: With that record, I bought it because you were on it. I certainly played it. How did you end up working with Sammy Hagar and Neil Sean in the subsequent decade.
Speaker 2: Funny story with that one. I was talking to Neil Sean. I was living in New York City and and just talking like we do, and he's saying, you know, we're doing this thing. I'm doing this thing with Sammy Hagar, and you know, we're talking about a bass player, Kenny Aronson maybe, And I knew Kenny because we'd done some stuff in New York. He said, we're just looking for a drummer. And you know how it is, you talk to your friends and you don't think of them as a drummer. It's just your friend. So it was like that. It's like, Michael, you know, why don't you do it? And so so I did it. It was a real real Herbie Herbert project. You know, real tight. Everything was clean and you know, really good. But it's not really my Like I said, I'm not really a rock drummer. But I had a good time doing it. The guys were great. I respected them. Years later, Sammy came out with his book, you know, with Joe Selwyn friend, and it was really I was reading it and he said, so we got this drummer, Michael Shreeve. Now Michael's a great rhythmic drummer, but he's no rock drummer, you know. And I practically split up my coffee because I thought, how outrageous the thing to say, you know, and I thought, he's absolutely right. You know, he's absolutely right. I mean, you gotta be honest with yourself. You know, I'm not that kind of rock drummer. I wasn't back then, and more than ever, i'm not now. I mean I can kind of get by with that kind of plane. And so it was a quick project that took like a month to do, you know, live recording, the live shows, filming of the shows, and then it was see you later, and that was that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're the drummer, you're in the band. You know, you're not the main songwriter. So after all Automatic Man in the go project, are you getting kind of anxious? What am I going to do for work? What am I going to do for money?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's always a thing with me. So after Automatic Man, let's see what did I do? Okay? We played? We played Winterland Automatic Man. And the next day I met with Bill Graham, just the two of us in his office, and I said, what'd you think? It was a disaster? And he said, you really want to know what I think? I said, Bill, you know, I know you're not going to pull any words or so he came around the desk, sat right next to him and he said, no, it's not for you, and it's not going to happen. And that day my girlfriend the time I was living with I rented a boat a lake in Golden Gate Park and I said, I think it's time for me to go to New York City. This is what I've always wanted to do. And so I asked her if she would come, and so moved to New York City. I kind of moved outside of New York City to Rockham County to Grand View on Hudson. Really interesting story. So I bought a house from a guy named Lee Friedman on the Hudson He's in the city. Lee Friedman's the guy that ended up doing all the merchandising for Kiss. He came from like Betsy Johnson that scene, and we became friends. So by the time it was when it was time for me to move into the house, I went in to move and the family that was there had not moved out. So I get there physically and I'm like, what's going on? And the guy that was living there was Arimavakian. Are you familiar with Aaron Avakian. They dissed him in the in the in the movie about the making of The Godfather, and it wasn't true what they were saying about him. But he was so upset because his wife had run off with al Pacino, and and so you know that could be expected he had he he didn't have. He couldn't get together to pack up and move. Later, I became like his daughter became my girlfriend. I'm still good friends with his son, guitar player Tristanovakian. So I moved in there and then I decided, well, really why I wanted to move to New York City to be in the city, and so what I did was I started a band called Novo Combo, and I thought, I'm give myself a shot at this sort of commercial thing again. I met a guy named Stephen D's through Bill o'coyn kiss, his manager, and we put a band together and we made a couple of albums, some really good stuff, but it ended up falling apart as well. And after that experience is when I said, no more bands, no more democracy bands. You know, I don't want to do anything unless I have final say and it's just what I want. And stop trying to make a hit, Stop trying to be beat your Santana stuff, Stop trying to show everybody you can still make a hit. Just fuck that. You know. You've always been left to center, do it and do it hard and be happy doing it. So anytime I went from money Bob, it just turned out to be like it didn't work, you know. And so ever since then, it's sort of I've just done what I want, what I want to do, you know, and learn to live with whatever I have. And the money is not always great, it's up and down, but I'm perfectly happy, you know. So I mean because I feel kind of fulfilled, you know what I mean, I mean, I know guys and I talked to them often who have big bands and everything. I couldn't even live that way, tell you the truth. You know, you've got to play all the hits from forty years ago or this, and there's so much ego, and it's like, I don't even want to live. You know, I don't even have to be a musician if I don't want to, you know, So if you're going to do it, do what you want to do, because it's kind of sad. I remember at the when we were inducted into the Hall of Fame, there was Fleetwood Mac and it was the Eagles same night. And I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but I could see the wives of some of these guys from the Eagles and you know, like crying because their husband now is getting the recognition that they deserve. It look like roadkilled to me, where some people come out on top and they're all shiny, but the people behind them that have been through this stuff with them and they don't get what they what the stars get.
Speaker 1: They're like.
Speaker 2: They're ruined and they live in the past. And I always learned from that kind of thing. You know, just like, do something else, you know, you don't have to live off the fumes of whatever you did in the past. Like do something make yourself happy, you know, do something that you feel good about, you know, and if it's not music, then so what do something else? You know? I mean, you know what Forrest Gump's mother said, you know, life is like a box of chocolates. So that's how I'm choosing to do it. And that's why I'm also excited about the new possibilities of like places to put the music, you know, and I don't know, it makes it pleases me.
Speaker 1: Are there any royalties coming in?
Speaker 2: Yes, I still get royalties.
Speaker 1: Enough to live on. Just you know, on the royalties.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: So you've never had to get a straight job.
Speaker 2: No, I never did. I mean I probably should have, but I never did. I mean, I never, I never did. So I don't know what I do, you know. I mean, if I could do some programming music for your you know, one of those companies that do restaurants or this, that and the other, I could do that. I could do that. I met with somebody several times. People want to meet me and maybe be in their company. But I realized they don't really want me to do the job. They just want to meet me. You know. It's like I could do this, but you don't really You're not really interested in me doing it, are you?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean, I I really enjoy like what music does in different environments, that kind of thing. So but I don't know some in some ways, I feel like some of my better years are yet to come.
Speaker 1: How often do you play the drums now?
Speaker 2: Not so much. I'm in the studio every day. But I have a fib and I have I had a heart attack in December, but not a big heart attack because my all my arteries are clear, you know. But I've still never been the same. But I've recently got really fascinated with what contemporary snare drummers are doing, and that made me think, Okay, I'm gonna get back into snare drum. I'm gonna go back to basics and do you know, but I mean, I'm sitting here in the studio with drums, and I'll do a lot of stuff electronically and then the acoustic drums will be the last thing to go on instead of the first thing like it used to be. So It's more like I'm interested in creating musical environments, and then how do acoustic drums fit into that?
Speaker 1: What are the interesting thing that people are doing with snare drums today?
Speaker 2: Well, they're writing snare drum solos that also involve other songs they're playing to nobody can hear it, but they're playing to a click and with other sounds coming out. You know. It's and also just things they do with the sticks, and it's like, whoa, I just discovered this last week, several of them, and I thought this is so cool, you know, so let me look into this and see just this area. You know. Another thing I'm thinking is I was just talking with Don Gunn here today. Is I mean even I'd like kind of music I'm making today. Look, I wouldn't mind having some of the some of the you know, some other drummers playing on it than myself, you know, like what's that band, what's the Bandyan Chang plays with? What they called? Uh yeah, Anyway, there's this drummer named Ian Chang, which is so cool and I love and I love the electronics stuff, and I've been doing that since the seventies as well, so I still find like it's exciting time to make music. If I don't live in the past.
Speaker 1: You too many people are living in the past. Man. I could talk to you forever, Michael. There's so many things about San Francisco and about drummers. But I think we're gonna cut it off here now. Thanks so much for talking to my audience.
Speaker 2: No, it's been a pleasure. It's been it's a pleasure to meet you after all these years, because of course we all feel like we know you because you you're so honest about what you think and and don't think. I love it. Keep doing it.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, Michael.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Until next time. This is Bob left Sex