Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stacks on the move today.
Speaker 3: Alexis Christophers, good morning. I want to start with a Universal Music Group because it's getting a lot of attention today. It is up nine percent right now. So billionaire activist Bill Ackman has proposed buying Universal Music Group now, just to put it in perspective, it's the world's largest music company, houses the likes of Taylor Swift, Drake Sabrina Carpenter, the Beatles, Bad Bunny, Yep. But for a long time now, Bill Ackman has said his Pershing Square Capital Management, which controls more than four and a half percent of Universal, has said, look, this stock is languishing, that's his word. It's lost more than a third of its value in the past couple of years. And he said that this hookup would actually help to address problems at the company. So he's pushing for the company to list here in the US, to come off the Amsterdam Stock Exchange, to list at the New York Stock Exchange, and he would do this through sort of a complex deal through a spac with his own company. So we've got shares of Universal Music Group a hire on this proposal. Because it is a premium of seventy eight percent to the company's closing share price yesterday, this deal would value Universal at about sixty five billion dollars. So we'll see if what happens. He did though, he already proposed names of who he wants to run it. Michael Ovitz, remember him, got he's still around president, former president, chairman of Disney. He's saying that he would like him to help run Universal Music.
Speaker 4: I mean, the problem with these I've covered these companies as public companies, these music companies. Nobody knows how to value them, and they just languish and they languish, and they're just not very public anties.
Speaker 1: They're just not run, I would suggest, respectfully. Yeah, they're not run like a business. There's lots of egos involved in you know the rest.
Speaker 4: But my sister worked at Universal Music Group. She had George Gershwin's piano in her office.
Speaker 3: I was pretty Oh, that's pretty cool. So I think I think the perks must be I'd hope they're cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is and they but they chronically underpay people because an other people are just dying to work there.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Also a lot of the artists, how are they getting paid right cents on the dollar for what they stream? It's it's interesting to see where the music where the money flows in these companies. I do Broadcom up three point three percent, up one hundred and four percent in the past year. Why, it's a chip company that's helping to power AI. So today it's agreed to produce future versions of AI chips for Google. It also signed an expanded deal with Anthropic that's going to give the startup access to three and a half a gigawatts worth of computing capacity. And on top of all that, it's also doing a deal with anthropics rival open Ai. By the way, anthropics popularity has soared this year. I mean, we've all seen it happen, right. It's Claude app has now become the top free US app listed in the Apple Maybe.
Speaker 1: Singh just said that you shut up to them, do Claude? And I sort of kind of like, haven't. I'm the only one who hasn't.
Speaker 3: And then Broadcom it's not giving a dollar amount on what these deals might mean for its bottom line, But Mizuho did some of the math and they think that Broadcom could pick up twenty one billion dollars in a high revenue from Anthropic alone this year and forty two billion in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: So these are where these numbers come from. But I don't know, all right. I mean, man deep singing is that he's like his coverage is just large numbers. Only covers is large numbers.
Speaker 3: You know what else we see eye popping numbers are healthcare system people are healthcare system. So shares of Humana jumping ten percent today, but it's not alone because the whole sector, including pharma, is moving higher. CBS up seven percent, senteen up four percent, and on and on. This is because the federal government now says it's going to pay insurers in the Medicare program. And increase of two point four percent might not sound like a lot, but compared to when they were going to offer them, which was basically nothing like a flat increase, this is seen as a big deal for these companies.
Speaker 2: This stockmover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.