Speaker 1: NHL Unscripted is a production of the NHL and iHeart podcasts coming out but NHL Unscripted, are you not entertained? Lots going on right now in the world of hockey. Flowers of Jacob Dobish, a hardware report as you have the finalist name for the Calder Trophy. Our special guests this week. That's right, the carl Brothers, Matt Curl, a terrific NHL player for so many years, and David Curl, the head coach of Denver. That's right atop the college hockey world. We begin with the draft last night. Nate Thompson just getting worked right now, the late night NHL Tonight shift. So in the midst of having to break down what happened the avalanche in the wild, Nate along with me and JD and telling everybody else going what the leaves get the number one pick? The fix is in, Nate, The fix is in unbelievable shades of Austin Matthews number one pick, Wendell Clark a number one peck back in the day. The rest of the top five, we'll get to San Jose. JD's guys moving up seven spots in the lottery, Vancouver are the best odds to win. I want him mckennatha. Vancouver doesn't happen. Canucks are going third in Chicago and the Rangers again tumultuous week. Nate here for the leaves. After the press conference, Steve Simmons gonna after Jaka, Pelly, et cetera, just your thoughts on the draft because a lot of people seem pretty pissed off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a joke. Lease, it's crazy. I mean the pressure's on though from John Jaika. I mean, now, now, what are you gonna do. You're gonna take the first pick? You canna take the second you're traded.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, he well, let's see what he's made of now with you know, having the first overall pick. But I mean, this is it's insanity to me that the least got this. I mean, it's not rig though. We know that it's just random.
Speaker 1: Because Toronto's pick JD was in the top five. Twenty twenty seven and twenty twenty picks go to Boston and Philly thanks to Brandon Carl and Scott Lawton.
Speaker 2: Trades.
Speaker 1: Love that now mckinna is the top ranked North American skater. You got Chase Reed in the mix as well. But I know, Jedd, you've talked about Steenbroock top of the list of international skaters. The Swedish phenom our friend Lawrence Goldsien is a phenomenal Joon Michel Neborg. He said to me Stembrick might be the most player ready guy tomorrow. So what do you make of the results and is it a fedcon bleu that McKenna goes number one.
Speaker 3: Well, they need a winger for Matthews, so that kind of solves that problem. But man, when you go to the casinos, sometimes you win big. Listen. They lose their two picks in the first round the next two years, so the clock is ticking. It's a very difficult situation. But I mean to fucking you know Tree Living. I heard he's a great guy, but not just destroy this franchise fairly quickly, pretty damn quick. He blew this thing up and just rode off into the sunset. So good for him. He'll be on a beach somewhere. But yeah, I listen, it's gonna be it's gonna be difficult because anything he does right now, you know, there's no rose colored glasses on Chica or Sunday, Like, I think he's gonna really not be in the public eye. I think it's gonna be more Sundean, and that's gonna be the more forward facing guy. I think he's going to kind of hide in the background and be more of the you know, the pulling the strings and making the moves. But Sunday's gonna kind of be the face, and you know, hopefully he's able to kind of figure out if McKenna is the guy. I do think you have to go McKenna. You know, I love Stenberg too. I think Stenberg's kind of the To me, he is the most ready person out there. But they need a winger for Matthews. This could be the guy. And also this could be you know, Matthews could turn around and be like I want out of here, you know, because I've had enough and I don't know where the franchise is going. But you know, he's in a good position where he's going to go to them and be like, prove to me that I should stay here, Like, prove to me what is your plan? And they're gonna have to deal with that plan. But I do think you got to go McKenna. A dynamic winger like that for Amats could really help him. He's never had a a lefty on his on his on his wing, that's that skilled and offensively adept. It's always been usually righty, So I think, yeah, to the point.
Speaker 1: But Matthews and the clock ticket though, j D. That's what a lot of people were saying in Toronto. Matthews apparently said, like, I want to see significant changes made to this roster in the next few months. So I wouldn't say he's holding the team of hostage. What other player wouldn't want his team to be significantly upgraded. But now there's starts to get more scuttle about that. Maybe Matthews wants out and a couple months maybe him and Bruce Cassidy going to LA.
Speaker 3: What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: That's number one for me, Jesse Is Matthews.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had it Matthews La.
Speaker 2: No, I mean just in general, like they have to like Chaka and Sundin to me like that's their first phone call, Like all right, we got the first pick, Austin. What do you think what should we do? Should we get on the same page? We got to get on the same page here. I mean, I don't know that that to me because if I'm Austin and all this is going on, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, hmm.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, Like he's Oero for two in the press conferences.
Speaker 3: Oh he's he's an AI guy. He can't Well. The tough thing about it is that Peka came out and said that his first order of business is to like rebuild the back end and then you get the first overall pick. He's probably like.
Speaker 2: Fuck he wanted wingers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he probably was hoping he'd get like three or four and then you could because there's a couple of good d in there. Chase Reid, you know, Fairhawk defense. Albert Schmidt's is a sneaky one for lat Via. They watching during the Olympics. He's a big, big, big, brooding defenseman. Huge. So I feel like he's like, fuck, he might trade down. You know, if I'm him, I point he might get magic.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pick. You know, I'll trade down. I'll get the defense when I want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trade down, laughing pick.
Speaker 2: San Jose's laughing right now, laughing, laughing, right now. Second pick. Just sit back in their lawn chair and just wait. That's it.
Speaker 3: I loved it that San Jose got number two, So I'm gonna take my my my trip around the sun here. That's a beautiful, beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Which defenseman jd or is it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: That's where I texted Samina right after, and I was like, I was like, dude, I was like, do we get a demon? And I'm like, I know Stenberg's the guy, but you know, you got Misa, you got you know Maclin. I mean, you could build this roster up front in fucking an instant with Stenberg and you have you have a forward group that's set for the next eight to ten years. It feels like but then, you know, I'm also looking like, you got Chase Reed, He's a bona fide you know, first power play defenseman. You got bear Hoff, you got Schmidt.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, do you go off the board? Do they trade down?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: But San Jose, I mean, god damn it, are we sitting pretty right now?
Speaker 4: Ready right now?
Speaker 3: Like quit the network and just go work full time for the Sharks.
Speaker 2: Now, that's the first thing I thought of what I saw. I was like, oooh, San Jose, San Jose looks nice right now right there.
Speaker 1: Just because everyone's had an opinion on the press conference, JD. I do want to get your thoughts on this a little bit, John Jake, as you said recently, I think you were on the fan in Toronto saying, you know, he traded for me, had a good relationship with him, nothing bad to say, but the guy obviously went through a lot of things there. I'm not going to dispute that, you know, a situation with Shane doone, which is why biz Nasty is out turning on the leaves, very memorably telling Leaf fans he's out, he's down on them, which has been very entertaining on social medium press converence itself. I'll say this, JD. And you know this, if someone's gonna criticize you, I always think a little humor goes a long way. So when Steve Simmons goes at you, there's no way. Keith Pelly and Shake these guys don't know it's coming. Like at some point someone's gonna go, hey, you hired this guy, like seriously. But I would have thought when Steve again, Steve is certainly has a strong reputation and he's come out and he was with our buddy E. J. E. Radachis, he goes this is I wasn't trying to be insulting. I was being blunt, Like the hockey world is astounded by this decision, Like he goes. People still reaching out to me, Like I reached up to a couple and they said, gay, wait wait, dude, Chake is no good. He sucks, he's this he's a conman. He goes, that's why I said that stuff. I'm like, I wasn't. I'm thinking of everyone is just in shock. I'm saying what everyone else is thinking. Which I appreciate that kind of honesty. But Pelly's response to dating, he just kind of goes, Okay, that's it. Like that, that's your response to it. I think a little humor there would have been helpful. So if I say to you tomorrow's well, you're gonna hire Nate. This guy's a conman, he's and liars of shit like Nate Thompson. Are you out of your mind? And you go give me the nineteen names all happy to have a conversation with them and we'll get after it, like something like just something on those lines where you know, just a guest. We've talked to different people. Now I talk to Freebry about it and Frieze goes, I've been around corporate people and their their view is nothing to see here, just don't.
Speaker 2: Give them anything.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's the right approach, but the least certainly got blasted for the way they handled the whole situation.
Speaker 3: Or Matt Sunde and I saw him at the Olympics, you know, with his entourage doing Swedish radio, and then now he's saying he's in the next he's in the for Toronto, and then shit eating grin when they got the first overall peg just you have unbelievable Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Either way, they didn't seem prepared necessarily for what was coming. But they're in it now. Everyone knows the leaves are in it now. And like Nate said, the ball's in your court now. Boys, you do what you gotta do. You want to trade down that pick, you want to take the pick. Shake is only thirty six years old, by the way, which is crazy to think about it. It's kind of been your point, Gad, he's saying he was only twenty six. We have the job again. Mistakes for makes everyone knows that he's been how the leagues is twenty twenty, but it's still shocking what's gone down.
Speaker 3: And well, if you were when we were twenty six, if we'd have got that much power, Yeah, you're bound to make a mistake. You're not immune to to you know, everything around. And I think he the biggest mistake was the Shane Doan and you know, not surrounding himself with with guys that had played in the league, Guys that loved the franchise, you know, are big reason the franchise state as long as it did with Shane Doan. So I agree with Biz on that of like, you know, the whole thing with Shikes. But again, he's a twenty six year old, Like we had a lot of guys on the team. I was older than Shikes when he was there, So it's like and I was thirty three making tons of mistakes, So it's like it's gonna happen. I mean, do I think he was there was a lot of other picks for that job. Yes, But do I think that somebody now that he has it, deserves to see what he can do. To Nate's point, like, hey, you got the first overall pick, you got your team, blank canvas, sort of go to work. Let's see if you can actually prove us all wrong. And I think if you know, he did a good thing by our you know, Toronto did a good thing by parking Matt Sundee next to him. So now you have a guy that's been there, a legend, that hopefully can help. And my thought is that he's going to handle all the big stuff, and Matt's is going to be around the team day to day, beyond the road. You know, He's going to be kind of the forward facing guy, which I think is what they should have done in Arizona with Chain. But again, twenty six years old, fucking mistakes were made.
Speaker 1: So now you do the same thing that Chake has running the team. But matts Adine will be the face up there. He'll take all the bullets, so to speak.
Speaker 2: I wonder because I mean, I don't know. I mean, when you do things like that in the past, obviously it affects your relationships with other gms around the league. And how is that gonna happen? How is that going to hang? Like? How is he going to handle that? Like? Is Matt's gonna have to get on the speakerphone with him when they call other gms to help him out? You know, because I mean, if I'm other GM, and that's got to be a that's got to be a point here, I would imagine for him. You know, I'm all for second chances, I am, But I think I wonder how, you know, John, if he calls a GM and he wants to make a deal, if some GMS are reluctant to talk to him, you know, I think that's going to be a big, a big point probably.
Speaker 1: Meantime Oilers eliminated in six games by Anaheim Connor mcdavidson. The team was average all season. Leon Dreysol said he was concerned the team and taking big steps backwards. Clock's ticking right now, Nate. When it comes to McDavid and Edmonds, and how they fix it is bowman out? Is comatos Chris, Chris? No block out? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Changes need to be made. I mean, they were right. I love that Connor and Leon came out and said this, and we're so candid and and Leon especially, I mean, he said it. He talked about I know, and JD's talked about before too. Like he said it. He talked about the guys that they've missed on and the guys that they've had in the past and you look at their roster when they went to the First Cup twenty twenty four. But I mean, just how much different it is now? And I mean it's not even comparable. Yeah, I mean you look at it and they are. They were average. They got beat by a better team than the Ducks. And I don't know I've for the Edmonton Oilers before. I mean, they they got some serious I think the other thing, that's another one is they have a lot of changes they have to be made. But they got to get on the same page with Connor and Lehon Now. I think that's probably because they're they're flustered, they're not happy and moving forward for the Oilers. Yeah, this is uh, this is another another so os out of Edmonton.
Speaker 3: Yeah there. I love what Leon said, I love what Connor said. Listen, they put pressure on the organization. I think you have to do that. You know, you put the ball squarely in their court. You know, Connor played through injury I think somewhat in the playoffs and you know, carried the team. They didn't have a great team all season long. They were average. They didn't go on any lengthy winning streaks. They were just kind of meh. All year, we're kind of always just like, eh, are they going to turn it on? It looks like they're going to turn on. Nope, they're not so But you know, I think it's it's time for them to to figure it out, and it's time for them to sit down with Connor and Leon and see what they want. And I do love the candidness by them of being listen, Leon going we got two years. It's like, we have two years. Connor is here is contracts for two years. I don't know what he's gonna do. We have two years, and what's to say in two years that Leon doesn't turn around and say fucking trade me.
Speaker 1: Well. The other party too, is when they say they have two years, you're right theoretically they do on paper, but almost feel like they have one year. Like this next year, damn to say I got what you left over?
Speaker 3: Right, he won't play. It's there needs to be significant change in terms of you know, and they've been everybody's been. Everybody's been yelling and moaning and groaning about the decoor and the goaltending. So it's like if you got to shoot the moon and get Jordan Bennington, because that's the only guy or you gotta find somebody else. It's time to do it now. But again it's tough. They're in a tough position. And the other the other funny thing about it is that now with Leon and Connor saying that every GM is probably licking their lips, being like, well, they're going to panic and they're going to make a move. So you know, sometimes when there's smoke, you know Bowman's gonna wait, maybe till a couple months into the season. But I mean the words out that those two guys aren't happy. So again you talk about Nate people not picking up the phone for Chika. They might look at Bowman and be like, let's just run this bitch out. We'll take a shot at Connor Wall take a shot at Connor Stan.
Speaker 1: Bowman's with a disaster. But this guy, he thinks he improves his goal to JD. He gives him when Skinner gets Jarry. Now you're handcuffed by a worse contract and you treated a pick for Dickinson. The team's gotten worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Skinner trade is that one's gonna hurt. Oh, that was gonna sing. And then the fact that it doesn't look little by all accounts, it looks like they don't like him, like personally, and he doesn't like them. So it's like this weird, this weird fucking thing that like they just want to get rid of him. So I'm assuming they're gonna eat some money and he's going to go somewhere or he's gonna get sent down, But I can't see him being their starter come at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 1: Last team. Then we'll get to the actual hockey from last night. The Lightning failed to get out of the first round fourth straight season. Nikita Kuchrov from Braydon Point combined for two goals in seven games against the hap somehow Montreal with less than ten shots on goal nine shots on goal winning game seven. Victor had been missed the series against Montreal to attend to his mental health. That's wanted to ask you about, Nate. You and GD have spoken about mental health. It's important as former players, you know it. What happened to headman and what does this meaning for the team next season.
Speaker 2: I can't speak for Heady as far as what happened, but I mean, obviously you know there's a big mental health component here and he took time away which good for him. You know, you you got to take care of your head. I respect that. And then for the Lightning, I mean, this one's tough. I mean, four years in a row and you said it, you know, coach point kind of non existent in the series. You know, they and I would say this, if they played that game seven ninety nine out of one hundred times, damp is probably winning that hockey game. But that's game Seven's that's hockey. And Montreal found a way. And I actually I really liked what andre Vassilevski said in his postgame presser. You know, he was candid about it too. He just came out and said it. So it's not good enough. We we got to figure it out and we have to get the job done. And we didn't stay with Coochs he talked about too, We didn't produce. So yeah, this is there's gonna be some tweet for this team. I think that, you know, if you lose in the first round four years in a row, you got to you got to make a little bit of changes. The big question obviously is Darren Radish. How do they keep him? I mean I would think I mean, even from his post apress it seems like he's not coming back. It was more of like a thank you to the Tampa Bay Lighting for everything that he's done for the last however how many years he's been there, four years? Yeah, I don't know, so for the Lightning. Yeah, this is they got to figure it out because you know, you lose. Well, they're like, so I had him winning the I hadn't winning in the bracket.
Speaker 4: Done.
Speaker 3: Now I don't.
Speaker 4: Know.
Speaker 2: It's it's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I listen again there if Radish leaves, it's like, well, who do you have coming in? You know, there's there are some guys available, but and they got a lot of question marks, a lot of question marks all over there. You know, you're you're now losing. I mean, man, it's it's tough because do I think that this is a team that you know, when I really watched them, because they watched that series a lot, and I was like, you know, is this a team that can win a Cup in every game? I kind of left being like, this is a fantastic series, but neither one of these teams is making it past Buffalo or Carolina. I just was like I just don't see it, you know, like it just it was it was sloppy. It was you know, bradon point. I'd listen to his press conference. I like what he said. He where He's like, I got to go back to the drawing board because what I'm doing isn't working. When I first started, He's like he and I thought he was hurt all year and he's like, I wasn't. He's like it just since he's been since he's been back, he's like it just something's not working. So and he's kind of a mentally gets in his own head sometimes. But you know, I just look at how much y'all kind of bullied him or in the series, and then it wasn't fairly matched series, I believe, and Dobesh was the difference maker. But you know, again, every year you miss on winning the Cup and Nate, you know this, things change on the roster and then everybody gets a year older, and now Vasilevski is a year older, Kutrov's a year older. That's a lot of miles on these guys, so, you know, and the way that they've struggled, I mean Vassilevsky talking about you know, and I love the guys. The first ballot Hall of Famer he hasn't won back to back games in the playoffs since twenty twenty two. Brutal Uh, that's an interesting stat to look at. That's that's a long time of not winning back to back games in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Kutrov's got one goal in like twenty two playoff games, twenty three playoff games. That's a tough stat to look at, and it's like, at what point, And this is always hard even with like Coop is like, at what point does your past you know, the past run they went on, that dynasty? When does that we stop utilizing that as like, these guys can still get the job done.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Meantime, the game last night Abs and Wild only one game and after that Wild nine to six Colorado win over Minnesota last night five to in game two. Nate Thompson on the desk for NHL Tonight with jameson Coyl and Corey Schneider. They got a long breakdown Nate for a game three Seconday night in Minnesota. So the while I can reflect on what's gone down. Giving up fourteen goals in two games, Colorado starts the playoff six to zero, the record for consecutive wins to start the postseason is nine by the Oilers in nineteen eighty five. Love McKinnon last night, throwing the body around, getting some hits, and obviously their offense is just dynamic. I know it's the mccarr and Hughes Show, but it feels like it's gonna be Colorado Show. What'd you make a Game two?
Speaker 2: I thought Minnesota played a lot better. The big the big X factor was how bad their penalty kill is, and you know, ugly, it was bad. It was really bad. And that was a difference I thought, because I thought Minnesota five on five played a lot better than they did in Game one, and kind of you know, from the second period, holp, we do the second until the third until Colorado got their next power play goal, Minnesota played well. I think this three day layoff is an advantage for Minnesota for sure. You know, with Colorado having all this momentum and a big one two guys for the while, I mean not having Eric Sinak and Rodin it hurts big time, especially Eric Sanac. I think just him at center. I mean you look at their centers without him in the lineup, and it's a big difference. Just because he plays in every single situation, whether it's p K power play, he's a bumper on the power play. I mean he he's out there at the end of the game, up a goal or down a goal. So I and then you know, the big one for me obviously was Gussulson too. I mean two shots, two goals to start the game. I mean that first one back then, I thought it was a little soft, and I don't know, you just when a goalie starts like that, it's it's unsettling. And you could just see a little bit like they were weren't sure. He wasn't sure, he was guessing a little bit. He settled in as the game went on, but it was just kind of too little, too late. And and you mentioned Nate McKinnon. Man, he was he was an absolute force last night, just throwing his body around and being the Nate Dog. So you know, I, I don't know, Yeah, it just seems like Colorado they every time Minnesota they would get some they would get some momentum, they would out play him little bit, and Colorado just they just need one serge or one rush, and you know, those guys do their thing. They they do they seem like a juggernaut that in a big tidal wave that's going to be hard to stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Scott Wedgwood, he was great. That was my our backup in Arizona seven.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 3: We were all like this guy, he's this guy's a gamer. What a fucking gamer. This guy is God, He's good all over the place. The little cat. Uh. Yeah, I Minnesota can't win without brodyin and ERICSONECT. There's no chance their d is it's it can't. They can't play Quinn Hughes and brock Favor one hundred minutes, you know so, And that was the most I've seen Quinn Hughes get hit in his career. They were all over him. They kind of figured something out a little bit, and and and and they kind of it looked like they scouted him after game one. And you could see every time they were all waiting for that punch turn, and every time he was hitting that punch turn, they were just they're just leaning on them. And it happened like three times. Nate Landeskotk they got in, they got it on Boldy. I just think this is what happens, and again it is what it is. But you know when you have the we go back to the playoff seating, you know that Dallas and Minnesota just kicked the shit out of each other, and Minnie, I I knew it at the start of the at the end of that series, I was like, listen, even though Mini one and six or sorry, even though Mini one and and they got through Dallas, they're just so banged up and Pegosians out too. You're just it's hard to to take that many licks and then go play a fresh Colorado team that listen, this team looks primed to win a Stanley Cup right now. This is the biggest thing that can happen to them in the series is not playing till Saturday. I'm sure if I'm Colorado, I'm pissed off because if they played on you know, Thursday, sorry, if they played like Friday, Sunday, I think they it's over.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: But I think this Saturday, that extra day is going to really help them. And then Wall said comes back in, he'll reset, and you know, but yeah, it's just Colorado looks so good man, and you watch the Vegas. I mean, Vegas looks good too, But yeah, I just think Colorado's just an easy, easy walk for them to the finals.
Speaker 1: Starting the playoffs six and oer, the Hurricanes faced a tough Ottawascott. Round one, they managed to sweep the Sins, but then when the first two games they're series against the Flyers team, they overwhelm Philly in the first period of Game one. Flyers actually took a two I think lead. In Game two a we're a power play goal. Sean Katuri has been their best forward and still well. Carolina wins this game in overtime. If the advanced JD, they'll face either Buffalo, who won a playoff for first time since seven, or Montreal, which won a playoff series the first time since twenty twenty one. It felt like the Eastern Conference is fairly wide open and the Western Conference was Avalanche or bust. Well, the Avalanche stepped up. Is it now Carolina with a clearer path of the Stanley Cup Final.
Speaker 3: If Freddie Anderson plays like this, there walk They're in the finals easily. Like this. The biggest concern for Carolina the last three years, every time they go in these runs is goaltending always fades away and they kind of just that pressure they give and the pressure they put on the other team, they can't get enough run support, and then the goaltender can't make those timely saves. Freddy has is my con smyth right now. He has been lights out in these games and a little bit of a chink the early in game will In Game two he gives up two. Everybody goes, oh, here's Freddy. He made some fucking enormous saves in that game and in the overtime, and the overtime Philly was all over them, and you know, it was eerily similar to Game two in the first round against Ottawa where they went to this double ot Ottawa was all over them. Freddymates these absolutely incredible saves and then they end up pulling out that victory and then they just were Then then that was it. And I think you look at Philly. I mean, I think Philly and pitt were the two worst teams in the East after we watched that first series, and I kind of knew that this was going to be quick, and I thought that was their push. Now Carolina just needs to get one to two here in Philly. And that's all she wrote. I think, So, you know, they've they've played hard. They played hard in Game two, but you know, I just don't think they have. When Sean Couturier is your best player, hands down, I think you're lacking something. I haven't. I haven't. Tk' has been running around a lot connecting me, but I need to see a little bit more from is connect.
Speaker 1: Me missing that? Ye connecting miss That breakaway was a killer. I mean he's he's your highest paid player, your top but you've got very chances like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: That was That was the game Philly needed to win if they were going to, you know, stay in the series. I like the way they played. They played great. They found you know, they had a good lead. And I've been skeptical Carolina obviously for past reasons, but man, this team is so impressive. Just the fact that you know they're down to nothing and I was kind of worried because Carolina, they haven't they haven't had to play from behind yet in this playoffs, and you know, their team that I don't know there's I was. I was skeptical and they found a way.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then that second line, I mean, it's just been unbelievable. And I'm with you. JD. Freddy's my playoff MVP two. Uh. I I don't like, I've never seen him play this well before. This is he's he's out of worldly right now, how good he is. And then I think what Rod Brindamore did, kind of making some adjustments too and getting Jarvis. He's kind of moving around on the top line, moving around his stall, and yeah, they gotta score two. Yeah, I mean this Knes team, it looks I mean from the outside looking in, it looks like a Carolina Colorado collision course right now, the way that their hummetede playoffs, it really does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's who I have right now. I think Buffalo Montreal it's an I think Buffalo is the only outlier. I think that you know, they got some special cooking there. But Carolina keeps this up and kind of you know they're missing Nikishin too. And yeah, but that Heelers what an add Nikolai Eelers was gamer. He's been He's been fucking so good for this team. Man, such an underrated pickup of like grabbing a guy that wasn't the most highly touted free agent and no one everybody was kind of talking about all the other big names. You grab him. Everybody's like, oh yeah, you know, second line I'm like this guy. I was saying this summer. This guy's a gamer. He plays hard, he's so fast, he work fits on this team. He has been such a perfect fit for them, such a perfect fit.
Speaker 1: Coming up after this, we'll talk to the Carl brothers, stories of hockey, sibling rivalry, and so much more. Perhaps I hated rivalry. Coming up right after this, our next guest was draft from the seventh round two or the third overall but the Tampa Bay Lightning of the two thousand and NHL Draft. Running back to back national championships at Shot at Saint Mary's, he recently computed his eighth season as the head coach the hockey team at University of Denver, which he ended by winning the program's third national championship in five seasons. Last year, as head coached the US national team of the Double Chef World Junior Championships, leading them to the gold medal. This man just pisses excellence and as the youngest head coach in NC Double A Division one history, David Carl coach great. So much to see it. Congrats another title that is eleven for the program, the most in NC DOUBLEA Division one history. How does this one differ from the previous runs.
Speaker 6: I mean, they're all special, they're like your children, I guess I hear people say that.
Speaker 4: So, No, it is a.
Speaker 6: Great honor to be able to win again, and that's really proud of our guys. I think this year different that you know, we've had adversity in the other two championship runs, but certainly this one was you know, we lost. I think we had a seven right game, you know, losing streak or winless streak in the middle of January. We were thirteen and eleven, We were on the bubble to make the NBA tournaments, and so I just think we probably hit it further bottom than we had in previous years, which probably makes coming out of it a little bit more rewarding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, DC, you know, I congratulations by the way, you know, when when you see you know, the way your team won this year. Obviously it was unlike any other years winning the national championship. This year, you said, with your struggles halfway through the season and then coming on again. You know, as a coach, and I've known you for a long time, you know, are there any coaches that you emulate or that you take stuff from, or maybe during the season that you lean on or guys that you call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I've been.
Speaker 6: Really blessed have great mentors, you know through my coaching career and Sween, George Buzzdecky, Derek Lalan, Jim Montgomery, you know, just to name a few.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're all guys who.
Speaker 6: A lot of excellence between the three of them, and so you have Moni and I actually had a really good conversation in the middle of January about both of our teams and talked to Derek Long quite regularly as well, and so yeah, they're they're good, really good sounding boards, you know, for myself and for staff, and you know, those are certainly guys that lean on, you know, in times of hardship to be able to try and make it through.
Speaker 1: It's important to have obviously great people around you. One of your best players at Denver, Ze Bulliam, just had a really tough rookie in the NHL, got trade to a struggling team. Was a healthy, scratch, rein touch with it all coach during these challenging times.
Speaker 4: Yes, Eve and I spent some time on the phone after the.
Speaker 6: Trade and then it's first, you know, probably week or two in Vancouver. We talked again, and yeah, I mean you keep in touch with different guys, you know, throughout the year, and you know, we're obviously we got our own problems and things were trying to go through. But you know, you you do come to Denver and you come to the college system and you're part of it forever. And so yeah, you certainly keep tabs on guys and little texts here and there. They're all following it. He bought a few dinners for the boys this year on the road. But you know, I think z is the type of kid that you know, he's very confident. You know, I think they want him in large part to be a part of the changing culture in Vancouver. And there's a lot of the things that we talked about just you know how challenging. Maybe it was different for him to be on a team that was, you know, losing a lot of nights and kind of what could he do to one make himself better, but to make the team better and and try and get him to think a little bit more long term than on the immediacy of like just you know, the losses are piling up, and the frustration and you know, those types of things so I don't know much and helped him, but you know, I know he's gonna be a great player in the league for a really long time, and you know, we're certainly excited to follow his career and know he'll be a part of our program for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: David, when you were playing, did you ever envision yourself? You know, did you ever I guess, see the game through a coaching lens, and and and for our fans or listeners that you know, don't know. You know, your playing career ended, you know, prematurely because of a heart condition like and then you became an assistant or sorry, a student assistant coach went Denver. You know, did you ever envision that, you know that this is the way it was going to go when you started gettingto coaching, did you think it was going to go this deep?
Speaker 6: Suthfu, I know not really, not only coaching was really ever anything on my radar, certainly as a player. I never thought of myself of going into coaching. I probably you know my brother very well and probably saw myself more on on that trajectory, going to school and trying to play as long as I could and try and make.
Speaker 4: A living and and.
Speaker 6: Then get into some sort of business or real estate or something of that nature. And certainly, you know, you plan on God laughs, and I was given a different set of circumstances to try and have to navigate at the age of eighteen. I'm really thankful that the doctors at the NHL Combine were able to you know, find my condition and help me get the care I needed at the Mayo Clinic and you know, have a great care team there.
Speaker 4: And again very fortunate to be.
Speaker 6: On this side of the of the ground than the other. And dem round or my scholarship, Tampa Bay still drafted me in the seventh round that summer, and you know, even coming to du it wasn't a foregone conclusion that I would get into coaching. I think, you know, each year my role kind of started really small and maybe expanded throughout the year, and and then the next year got a little bit bigger. And it really wasn't until my junior year that we're in the middle of a practice and the guys are doing a drill and Derek Lallan and I were sitting there hanging out as Killer and Glass were running a drill, and he said, you're going to do this full time? Right, And I said, do do what full time? And he goes coach and I'm like, I don't know, I really thought of it, and he goes, well, I think you should consider it.
Speaker 4: I think you'd be really good at it.
Speaker 6: So it's just funny in life, you know, I think people are putting your life to help you and support you in different ways. And I certainly didn't get through, you know, what I went through by myself, and I haven't accomplished what I've done as a coach by myself, and so that really.
Speaker 4: Made me think.
Speaker 6: And oddly enough, Derek, after my junior year, he got the head coaching job in green Bay, the USHL.
Speaker 4: You know, he then had an opening.
Speaker 6: After his first year, they won a championship, they won the Clark Cup there in Green Bay. After replaced John Cooper, and he had an opening. I was graduating. He called and he was actually the guy who offered me my first full time job in coaching and in hockey. So I went from Denver to Green Bay, was there with him for a year and a half and then ultimately ended up back at Denver.
Speaker 1: So it just.
Speaker 4: It just the story's kind of obviously very unique, and it's.
Speaker 6: Worked out the way it's supposed to and maybe not the way it was planned. But I certainly feel very blessed and fortunate to, you know, have the opportunities to be able to prove people right and be put in read situations you know, throughout my career.
Speaker 1: Well, it's certainly a great stuff the way your career is gone. And you know this wouldn't be ANHL in scripted. That's something a little unscripted. So have at surprise for you behind door number two, our next guest draft in the second round, forty seventh overall by the San Jose Sharks in the two thousand and three NHL Draft. He went on to score forty five goals towarning eighty three points at seven hundred and thirty NHL games with the Sharks, Lightning, Flyers, and Predators. Prior to that, he won the Hobie Baker Award, rule junior gold and back to back national championships at the University of Denver. He's also the older brother of our guest David Carl this week, and the best man at both of Nate Thompson's weddings. Matt Carl, great to see you buddy.
Speaker 5: Guys, thanks only one of David so far.
Speaker 1: Mattle start have been like to see you which your little brother has done in such a short time your alma matter. When did you realize he could have a future as a coach?
Speaker 7: Oh gosh, I mean I think grey when he got diagnosed and just jump right into it during his undergrad I mean, he was able to learn from from great people at Denver and obviously just taking and run with it. So it's it's been awesome to watch, you know, selfishly as an alum. But you know, we're obviously dialed in, even more so because he's a part of our family.
Speaker 2: Were you at the game, Maddie, I.
Speaker 5: Was, yeah, I want to wait for the flyers. Yeah.
Speaker 7: This has been so regular with David that we usually wait till the results on Thursdays before booking tickets. So this time around that I brought my eleven year old daughter or twelve now she's turned twelve this week, but brought her out with me, so I kept me under wraps in Vegas. That was probably a smart thing to bring her out.
Speaker 2: My next question is is like I guess now that Dave is in the coaching side, I know you're doing coaching in a way with your kids too, teaching hockey and all those things. Are you guys having conversations all the time about hockey, whether it's Denver, NHL like you guys going back and forth on the phone, not too much.
Speaker 7: I mean, David, he's been in the game longer than I have now, and you know, and the drills he's doing with his team are probably way more complex than I can do with my kids. But so usually when we're touching base, it's more family based and just how everything's going off the ice outside of the rink and uh, you know. But yeah, obviously we have talks about hockey, but I think more of it's about the history of the game and and that kind of thing versus what's what's going on currently.
Speaker 1: David, it's a many discussion about Matt joining the staff at Denver.
Speaker 4: Well, we've we'd have to move to Denver. I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 6: So a pretty good, pretty good gig there and nice spot on the lake is made. No, So he's our remote recruiter in the Minnetonka area where there's lots of really good players, uh that we're on and so he's just he's boots on the ground in Minnetonka and excels here helping the pioneers. And his kids will infiltrate all the ages here soon that we're recruiting, so.
Speaker 4: That one will turn into five.
Speaker 6: And I know his wife and Clancy's doing her load as well, talking to moms in the rink.
Speaker 4: So they're doing their part for sure, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go back. I'm gonna go back a little ways, and I'm gonna ask. I'm gonna ask, Matt, did you ever envision I asked David the same thing. Did you ever envision h David being a coach and this and this obviously an elite coach like this, did you ever see this happening?
Speaker 5: Well? Not really, I mean we were kids.
Speaker 7: It was, you know, dreaming, dreaming of playing together, and uh, you know, so when when when the dream got ripped right right from his hands, like when he was eighteen. I don't think any of us envisioned this, but you know, it's been awesome to track and I guess I, you know, even I even think back to you know, when he was an assistant there and having success and when the du job opened up. I mean, he wasn't like he was just handed to him. He had to work forward and proved that he was the right guy. And obviously I was in his corner. But and he obviously had a lot of He got a ton of support from the current players that were there that that you know, went to bad for him. And you know, there was obviously some question marks around some recruits that were there at the time are coming in that you know, thought they were going to be going there to play for Jim Montgomery. And I don't David can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of them, you know, de committed or anything. They all stuck to to come to dou and into playing for David, and you know, he's ran with it from there. So it's been unbelievable to watch. And as I said, it's ah as an alum. You know, you're just super proud of him and the program more importantly, and the success that they've been able to have under his leadership.
Speaker 2: What was the conversation like between you two when David got the diagnosis initially, Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Mean I think there were a lot of emotions back then. It was a long time ago in two thousand and eight. But you know, I remember being insane at the time. I think I was staying there for the summer, working out, trying to get ready for the next season. And you know, David had just finish up a pretty successful campaign at Shaddick and you know, gearing up for the NHL draft, and where was he going to land and he was sending to go to Denver that fall, and you know it was just hopefully not not a matter of if, but when that you know, we'd be able to play in the NHL together. So when that kind of just came tumbling down overnight, it was it was pretty emotional. So obviously Denver stepped up in a big way and allowed him to go in there, and uh, you know, year into scholarship and he was able to go to school there, and I guess the rest is history from there.
Speaker 1: And David, you've got three national titles to match too, so you got the bragging rights in the family.
Speaker 5: Now right, I'll correct you there, he's got four.
Speaker 6: We got a great photo and him and I with all the championships have been a part of and uh, now, my my wife actually reminded me, she said, you have mathe you need to do another photo as we've added another trophy to it. So we're very proud to be a part of the program and be a part of the championships we have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's I mean for you guys to be sharing what is it? It's between the two of you? How many is it? Then?
Speaker 4: It's six?
Speaker 2: Six? Right, I mean six national titles between the two of you, like.
Speaker 4: As many as Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: So perspective there you go.
Speaker 4: We're not competitive, is there?
Speaker 2: No? No, not competitive at all. I've I've I have never witnessed the competitiveness between you two. A little sarcastic there, but as was there any was there a moment I guess you know growing up between the two of you. I know I was. I was a part of it a little at times when you know, you guys are you know, battling or whatever it is, and and you know, you guys get in a situation where you know, you're talking hockey and and you're you're thinking, okay, we're going to try and make the NHL one day, like this is our dream together. Was that something you guys talked about when you guys were young, like, okay, this is something we want to do one day.
Speaker 5: God, yeah, I don't not.
Speaker 6: I mean not to ruin your question, but no, I don't think we ever had those conversations because we're five years apart and so like, it wasn't ever. You know, when Matthew left home, he was fifteen, sixteen years old, I was ten, eleven years old. You know, I think it was you know, Scott Gomez was kind of at least my idol, you know, in Alaska and trying to just follo him as a fan, but getting to college hockey was really I think my goal probably at that age, and Matthew's goals probably were a little bit different than mine, given that he was just a little bit older and where he was going with the NTDP and and all of that. So I just think our age difference probably allowed us to just be more fans of each other than thinking that we were ever going to get the opportunity to play together or do something together, because we never went to high school together. We hardly went to elementary school together, certainly never went to middle school together.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think.
Speaker 6: Because he left so early and then I left at fifteen, I mean we always just I think again, we're.
Speaker 4: Able to be each other's biggest fans.
Speaker 6: Between the two of us and then our little brother Alex as well, who left and went and played college hockey too.
Speaker 1: It's always great when there's so much sibbing rivalry, but also you're all pushing each other to greater excellence. Matt, I want to ask you. Nate was at Game six last night as Flyers alumni with Todd Fedric, You and Chris Pronger, one of my colleagues and Amazon Prime for the Flyers Top Defensive Pairing and nine twenty eleven physical pairing, great puck moving ability, that unbelievable coup on in twenty ten memories of Prongs specifically, and I want to ask you about this year's Flyers team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Prongs.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm on I'm not on social media as much, but I'm on LinkedIn pretty actively now and he's He's definitely getting his face out there a lot more, which is good for the game. I think he's a big personality, and yeah, it was. I mean I owe a lot of my you know, my career after playing with him, you know, to what he was, what I was able to learn from him, and just a great guy. To play with and learn from, and like I said, it's great that he's getting more involved in the game now.
Speaker 5: And then, yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 7: You know, anytime the Flyers can take down the Penguins, I think any Flyers alum, I can appreciate that. And uh, you know, I guess the one guy to ask, and it would be maybe Max Talbot to see see what he thinks of that series now. But uh, but yeah, no, I mean, I I don't. I don't usually, you know, I've you know, I bounced around a little bit and Ate Nate bounced around a lot more than I did. But you know, I I don't usually root for former teams. My kids can't understand that. They asked me, like why don't I like the Lightning or why don't I like Nashville or you know, San Jose And I'm just a fan of the game. But that was the first time I think in a long time that you know, I'm watching a playoff series. I'm like, I'm actually rooting for the Flyers here and hoping that they can can pull it off. And it's just eerily similar. I don't know how many you know, if he has talked about it, just the twenty twelve series that we had when I was there and we were up through nothing, and obviously Claude Drew, you know, made a statement there in Game six.
Speaker 5: At home and didn't really have that last night.
Speaker 7: But you know, the guys were able to find a way to get it done, and you know, proud of Danny Brier and what they've been able to do there and hopefully you can continue to run here in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the atmosphere was something else. It was. It was tense in there though. It was like you could feel the anxiety among the fans because they know. I mean, I was telling these guys that, like it's it's funny. They they know they know what was going to happen if they went to Game seven. So they were they were like, we got to finish this off tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I'm curious on if a fan, if the fans are okay after that stick toss, like that wasn't just like a light toss up in the crowd. That was a he whipped that thing up there, And I'm sure fans are all in there high five and and and not really paying attention to like the celebrations. I think had to come out of nowhere and smoke somebody.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I have to ask you both, David, first, is there is there a series that jumps out to you guys that you've been really watching closely? I know for me, I mean, Matt choked around how many teams I played for it. We we joke that it's the Nate Bowl Tampa in Montreal. That was hard for me to root for too. So is there a series that jumps out to you guys.
Speaker 6: I'm going to steal Matthews. He'll probably go with this hometown now in the wild, so I probably i'd stay out last. See Anaheim Edmonton. It's the highest scoring series, I think, really entertaining. Obviously As has been on long runs the last couple of years and Anaheim's just kind of starting to come on, so it's a little bit of a clash of the old and the new. And yeah, that's fun to watch and see some of these young guys on, like like a Philly, I mean, they're really young team.
Speaker 4: And but also with Anaheim, we.
Speaker 6: Have Troy Terry there, his first opportunity to play a playoff game since he was at Denver, so really excited for him and just seeing that team, you know, get a chance at the team has been out of the West last couple of years.
Speaker 4: That one's been intriguing for me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll throw a little yeah wrench in this. And the Boston Buffalo series has been pretty entertaining for sure. I just see the the atmosphere in Buffalo. A former coach of mine that was at Denver, David Knowswell seth Appert and assistant on Lindy Rough's staff, and and I was even joking around with another former dum It was a good buddy, Chris Butler, you know he and I you know, he was playing in Buffalo and I was playing in Philly. That was the last playoff series that was in that building. So I was joking around with him that the last time there was a playoff game in Buffalo. He never shaking hands, so it was It's been cool to watch that series, and obviously there's an a lasting connection there with Jeremie Swimming and that for the Bruins, And there's a lot of drama, and there's a lot of drama in every playoff series down in the Tampa in Montreal series is awesome too. Just with the first three games going overtime, and I always loved the first round. It can be dangerous though. Luckily I turned the TV off last night for the Vegas Utah game. Otherwise I've been up pretty late, staying in the double overten, so I don't have the luxury of just being able to sleep in the morning with kids going to school and stuff. So I gotta be careful what games I get dialed into.
Speaker 1: It's a good point once you start watching playoff hockey, get sucked and you have to watch the end of it, and then you're costing yourself. On nextic you said precious sleep with the kids. Well more from tow will lets you guys go go ahead?
Speaker 8: Te Yeah, David, just curious you mentioned the age difference between you and Matt. I'm assuming you were probably kind of young when he first committed to Denver. I mean, was that program? Did you know anything about that program at that age? And was there a moment maybe while Matt was there, where you first started to appreciate what that program was, considering obviously the incredible career you.
Speaker 5: Would go on to have there.
Speaker 6: So I mean, as a family, we had season tickets to the Uaa Sea Wolves, who played in the wha. And so we'd spend a lot of our weekends with our friends and our family at UA games, and we'd see North Dakota and Denver and Minnesota, Wisconsin Tech, all these you know, the old w c CHA all these teams come up and play an courage and so, yeah, we had a I think we all knew who Denver was. And I don't want to take too much credit for it, but I do remember telling Matthew he should go to Denver. I don't know if you remembers that or not, but I distinctly remember in our living room saying that that's where I thought he should go.
Speaker 4: He's looking at CC and Minnesota.
Speaker 6: Thank god he chose Denver, because those two programs would be a lot to handle in the family. But you know, and then for myself, it was I went through the process pretty extensively and did other visits. Wasn't a foregone conclusion that I would say, go to Denver. And I think Matthew did a great job kind of letting me go through that process and having the experience, and ultimately, uh, why is your heads prevailed and I ended up falling in the footsteps and made a great decision.
Speaker 2: I have one more question. I'm gonna I have to ask this or I think, yeah, you guys both know I might get in trouble from home, so I got to ask, you know, being from Alaska and both you guys being Alast being from Alaska as well, all of us growing up together, you know, talk about you know, I guess the pride that we have being from there, and the amount of guys that you know, come up through the leagues play in the NHL, and and how important it is to us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's a unique group. And any time I hear about a kid from Alast. Actually this weekend there's a team called the Alasta Blaze. I'm playing against my seven year old. They're in the same pool, but they're in the same same age group, so I'm hoping we cross pass those guys. But uh, yeah, anytime you hear about the next prospect coming out of Alaska or any sort of connection there, you're definitely gonna try to follow them. And and you know, yeah, you know when you and I played against each other, been here, Gomer, Joey Krab, Timmy Wallace, like the guys from our era that you know, we all got the ability to play against each other professionally. You know, it's just a unique experience and we all shared something. I still have a photo in my basement of you know, I don't know if it'll ever be replicated, but you know, there are four of us from Alaska all in the same NHL game, And you know, Nate and I were playing in Tampa, and Joey crab And and Gomer were playing in Florida, and uh and I think Gohmer sent us a big frame photo of that, and I have that hang in my basement still. So that's a pretty special collectible item that I'll never take down. And then you know, it's always nice to be able to go back home. You know, I know I don't live up there anymore. I just none of us do. But I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. And you know, it's always awesome when you know we get the opportunity, uh, you know, from a guy like Brian Kraft who owns the Alaska Sportsman's Lodge, to to get us back up and and do you know, a fishing trip with the guys at a world class facility like he has. It's always a unique trip and awesome to be able to get back home and and uh WeLive our childhood memories.
Speaker 2: Which we got to do not too long ago. The three things here. We went on a fishing trip together, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Great to reallyve those memories. David Carl obviously a great success with Denver Macarly, terrific NHL career and now coaching as well. And best of luck with the kids. Congratulate all your success, guys. You're making Alaska proud.
Speaker 5: Well done, awesome, thank you.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Our man Nate is fighting for more than a few yawns coming off of late and an NHL tonight, but he did not do the Cardinals sin. To me, it's okay from the yon. But as long as you cover the ywn Nate, thankfully every time. I don't have to see your tonsils. You're covering the yawn right now working with Holli these late nights impact. Do you mean you're on the West coast? Are on the East coast?
Speaker 2: A little more cup of joe for you, A lot a lot of caffeine, that's what it's for. Yeah, it's it is what it is. It's a playoffs, man. You gotta you gotta grind right, it's the playoffs. So it's the playoffs for everybody. I like, it's a playoffs for everybody.
Speaker 1: Big news on Tuesday, JD NHL announcing Matthew Schaeffer, Yvon Demidoff, and Beckett Seneca three finals for the Calder Trophy. As expected, Shaffer should run away with the award. What do you make of maybe the three player's name, but also any surprises or potential snubs just to throw out the names. I think it was as expected. But Jimmy Snuggarut, Ryan Leonard, yak Abdobish, Yesper Volstad.
Speaker 3: For what the Calder? Yeah, Matthew Schaeffer, move on next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, it's not even close.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about Bill Masterton, Jonathan taves I, listen, Rasmus dallianis you get the three?
Speaker 3: The Rasmus Dollien wants an interesting story because most of the time it's the guy. It's personal injury. This is really a mental injury in the sense of you know your significant other, you know your your wife, your fiance. But like that's a tough, tough, tough thing to come out and not only do that but lead the team. I think you know that's that's that's a very unique outlier, and I think that would be something pretty cool for him to get the award, him and his fiance to get that award because you know, she's been his rock, and from what he said in the media, and you knowing your rock is kind of struggling and it's hard. You don't know what to do as a player when you have that support system to lean on and you're having a play and also deal with this personal struggle that has nothing to do with hockey. It is very difficult to kind of separate the two. So and then he went on to lead this team and they're, you know, in the second round of the playoffs and have a chance to do something special in Buffalo. So to me, it would be probably him. Taves is a cool story as well because how long he took off, But just the personal side of it with you know, bigger than hockey a little bit for me.
Speaker 1: Quick thought that on the Jack Adams does Lindy Rouff win the award after Buffo was terrible at first one? So it's you good at Coop because Coop's never won, but you and party seeing we out coach John Cooper, So who wins?
Speaker 2: I'd probably give it to Lindy Rough. I think with with with their season and what happened where they were.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: I know this one's tough, but I I think Marty sat Luis should have been in this running too. I think the job he did with Martreal, I totally agree. I think he should have been in the top three. I thought he what he's done with this team and how much better they've gotten even since the beginning of the season. You look at him now, It's.
Speaker 1: Team was awesome.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Marco Sturm I like as well. Dan amuse Dan.
Speaker 1: Damn muses up for the final. I think Dan might win.
Speaker 3: Dan should win, just from what we saw in that Philly series. How bad that team actually is. God, what a bad fricking team that was.
Speaker 2: They're not in the second round j D Exactly. In the second round they beat the Pends that that we all picked.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Pitt. Yeah he's sing and I'm not talking about talk. I'm taking a pit Yeah, Pitt, they're stinky. They figured it out too late. Uh oh yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I like Marco Sturm. No one talks about him. He's been great. He was great because again, when you watch Boston. You know, lack of talent they have, not to say lack of talent. Everybody that's on that team should be in the NHL, but black high end talent.
Speaker 1: So and the last thought, we haven't had talent at all. So Tally can talk a little. Habs Dobish, the rookie goalie paying tribute to his Andre Batsilevsky beat in Tampa Bay's goalie head to head, Dobish allot four goals in the last three games the series, nine to sixty goals against those games, talking ship to Nikita kucher Off, the entire time fifth rookie goalie in Canadian's history to win a game seven after Jacques plump, Ken Dryden, Patrick Watt and Kerry Price. Your thoughts on Dobish and the Apps roll right now gets the Savers. Let's go tell is.
Speaker 9: Someone getting dough besh dough besh dough besh dough besh of you?
Speaker 4: Yes, good jat.
Speaker 1: He's not the only song in dance man, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I've been saving that one for.
Speaker 1: You know, It's it's been fun.
Speaker 9: I have no idea what to expect in round two, but do Beese's emergence is the talk of that series in the Habs postseason. This was a guy who was keeping the seat warm for Montembau while he got his game together.
Speaker 3: That never happened.
Speaker 9: Then he was just holding the crease for Jacob Fowler until he was ready to be the starter and the number one. That hasn't happened yet. He just keeps going and going. Incredible poise for a rookie. And uh, I mean going toe to toe with Andrey Vasherlevsky and coming out on top is pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dope, do besh what a special series he had against Tampa out dueling the big cat Massilevsky. But yeah, there's a chance in this series for Montreal and this is a good hockey team as well. Well. Coached falls on the shoulders of Yahkub And I mean the fact that he was so kind of up and down during the season and he did have some mental struggles. Guys talked about how he's very hard on himself. He remember's six and ot to start and then he lost his first game and he cried and you're like we're like, oh shit, oh here he goes this guy, and then he was he kind of every thought Fowler was the guy. Yeah, and then he just firmly stepped up and you see what he can do with confidence. Man, he was he was so good in that game seven man was he It's one of the better games and performances I've seen. And it kind of reminds me again. He reminds me of the anti Niemi season in with Chicago, you know where he came kind of kind of came out of nowhere. Younger goalie was around, you know, and wasn't the guy and just tuck the net and team just took off. So we'll see what happens. But Buffalo's gonna be tough, tough series from I can't wait for Game one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, both those buildings gonna be unbelievable. Buffalo's gonna be great, obviously, is gonna be fantastic. All right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: We gave a quick thoughts and Prayersavoi Montreal.
Speaker 2: Yes, good call, good good call.
Speaker 3: Sorry, super nice man, Uh, very scary. What happened. I hope he's okay, but yeah, that was that was tough. He's he's been a staple in Montreal to the Canadians and and just a great, great human being.
Speaker 10: I know, Nate, you've crossed. A lot of you called some games. So he's all right, yeah no, that was that. That's I mean, I I echo that. That's let's let's hope he's all right. That's he's he's a good man.
Speaker 1: All right, good Steph is always from all the felt thank you once against the Carl brothers. They were fantastic. Best wishes of course to Matt and David as they could hear their hockey journey. And thank you to all of you for listening NHL Unscripted. We'll see you next time here on the pod. NHL Unscripted is a production of the NHL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.