Speaker 1: Sometimes why you're listening to fish On First on Foul's territory network.
Speaker 2: Fish Unfiltered, Episode one thirteen, And you guys are in for a real treat. We just concluded a very great interview with the owner and chairman of the Miami Marlins, Bruce Sherman. We'll get to that a little bit later, but for now, I'm joined by Kevin Barrall fish On First founder Eli Sussman. We're gonna discuss a little bit of Marlins, a little bit of All Star Week festivities before we get into that interview.
Speaker 3: But Kevin, you are in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Record this on Wednesday morning, the night after the morning after the All Star Game, Kevin, Citizens Bank Park. I have been fortunate enough to witness it during Red October. This must have been a totally different ballgame being there for All Star Week. What was that like?
Speaker 3: Oh, it was great. It was a it was a good experience. Unfortunately, the actual game itself was quite boring until Miguel Vargus hit the homer. But you know, very little offense on the National League side. But Auto did not get to hit, so that kind of saved saved the day a little bit in terms of at least our coverage to have something to stand on. And yeah, no, it was great. The home run derby was awesome. Seeing Jordan Walker come back the way he did and it really legitimately stuned Phillies fans was awesome because, I mean, you don't ever see fans booing a player in an All Star game unless it's like a division rival or something. The Phillies fans booed the absolute hell out of everyone. But this format was fun. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It actually didn't feel as long as it may have come off as I thought. It was gonna be a little bit longer, just because there's no timer and things aren't timed up. But even with a later it started a little later because of all the intros and stuff. But no, it was. It was fun. Jordan Walker is an absolute monster. He's having an awesome year. Yeah, I mean, obviously, I think some disappointing performances in the derby. You would have expected Harper to do a little more. Caglione had some of the more impressive homers despite only getting some of the fewests. Ben Riots was not very good into derby. I don't know what it is with the Yankees hitters out after and Judge in the derby, But yeah, no, it was. It was a fun experience. Definitely looking forward to doing this at some point again. And next year it's in Wrigley. We'll see when that happens with the impending lockout, but yeah, no, fun experience. Definitely the right spot for a host as well. For this All Star game, the fans really showed up and showed up.
Speaker 5: You can't control the particulars of what happens during the All Star Game itself, and I think this one is by most measures, it's gonna be less memorable for that particular game than has been in previous years. But that's there's just some randomness to it as as that goes. And as for the derby there and there's been so many like minor tweaks to it throughout the years in ways that overall like it every single time. I think it is an event that is going to endure for forever pretty much, just because there is just a few things more satisfying evincing an absolutely crushed home run, and I think the total numbers, I mean, the only thing that's sick said is like the actual total number of home runs hit. It kind of pales as a comparison to the format from the previous few years, fewer total swings and that element to it, but it's I think overall it was still a successful event. I do always like it when it's some winner having some balance of winners that are established superstars versus those that are kind of breakout players, and Jordan Walker has had that breakout season, so I think it was kind of Even though he wasn't a favorite going into the derby itself, it's not a super shocking outcome either. I think it was a worthy champ and so for all, I do still appreciate the also our break itself, the way that they moved around the schedule a little bit. I guess he's less a couple of days. I've had a bit more time to breathe and recover during the season. Nobody thinks about the media, but this is like these few days, you know, for me, for those that aren't actually at the game itself, this is a very important recuperation time in the middle of the year for covering a sport that is every single day, not just with the major league level, but across the minor leagues as well. In these past handful of years, the minor leagues at the full season levels, they are all calibrated with the big league team in terms of taking their own All Star break. So that's kind of one little aspect. I'm grateful for it to have just a few days without the games, and as soon as they reve up again, though, you know that we're going to be covering it more thoroughly than anybody else does.
Speaker 2: Indeed we will. The Marlins, Scurry said, seven games over five hundred, despite a first half ending sweep at the hands of the Cleveland Guardians. Just some uncompetitive baseball, but as Bruce Sherman said on our pod, ran into some All Stars right intoto, some tough left handed pitching, and yeah, regarding the All Star Game, the home rundry, it was pretty impressive watching pretty much every single right hand to hit or reach the second deck and left in Citizens Bank pargain. For those who don't know, it's not easy to get up there, especially with batting practice pitching velocity, it's not easy to crank them. As far as Wilson Contreras was doing Junior Camenero, et cetera, it was really a special show. I don't know, if, for example, Kevin, do you prefer the clock format or a swing slash out format?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, this format by far easily. I think the clock doesn't give players enough time to recover and they'd go on their own time. And for the most part, they're pretty quickly. They're pretty quick, and the fan base makes it known if they're displeased with if you're taking long time or if you're taking pitches like obviously that's not going to get in the player's head, but it's certainly it plays a factor. And yeah, no, I mean players aren't as tired and you're at less risk of an injury too, if you're swinging as quickly as you are to get as many as you can. The one thing I don't like about this format is that, and I think one of our guys, Alex Carver mentioned this, like we would be there for a little bit longer, but there's not the twenty something homer performances that we have seen in the past, right, Like you're winning with ten or twelve homers, which is still impressive, but it's not, you know, it's not the twenty something that we've seen Stanton or Judge hit before, even justin Borr was up there at some point in the derby, So that's my only I guess gripe with it. But overall, it's better for the game. It's gonna keep the players healthy, it's cause for less injury, and you're gonna see more impressive homers from start to finish. I mean, Jordan Walker hits some absolute nukes, so you know it's the players aren't getting tired as tired at least because they're going at their own pace.
Speaker 5: Well, the one thing you're guaranteed to see it and anyway in the second half is that at least one of these Derby guys is gonna have a pretty long home run drought coming out of the break, and there's gonna be in hindsight, there's gonna be people saying that it's the Derby that screwed up his swing. That happens every single time, and no matter what the results are, and that's just the kind of the byproduct of making the Derby in the first place. It means that you hit a ton of home runs just in the first half and that you might be due for a little bit of regression anyway. But I'm sure that somebody out of this field is going to be kind of the latest example that it's an annual tradition for people to freak out a little bit if their guy comes out slow coming out of the break. After earning his spot in the derby in the first half.
Speaker 2: Second half on deck, Bruce Sherman told us that he will give Peter Bennix the green light to do whatever he needs to do to make this team a competitor. He knows about the nles, how important that is. What would you like to see done both at the trade deadline and on the field and second half?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like, obviously you guys will watch the interview with Bruce, but that was one of the more interesting things.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: That's not not only that he says publicly that he will give the green light to Bruce Peter, I'm sorry, but acknowledging like the decisions in play, you know, and he understands that there's a difference between the wild card and the division is extremely huge. It's the difference between either going on the road for a playoff game or hosting a playoff game. For the first time ever, had loan people apart, so it's a very different thing. And he acknowledged it pretty quickly.
Speaker 7: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help. What do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean you go to Factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains and they always come in the house, which I'm looking for food. Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 7: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code foul fifty o FF to get fifty percent off and free daily Green's per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty six.
Speaker 3: What the Marls will do at the deadline, I think it starts at third base. I know Leo. He managed the last two weeks has actually been pretty good going into the break, but I still think that shouldn't change the view that this team is in need of a third baseman. They really do need one. I think you're going to a point where you may need a back end reliever, a higher leverage guy, and I think you need a starter. Unfortunately, I know Janson Junk kind of grinded through that last start, but I don't think long term he's the answer. I don't think Tyler Phillips long term is the answer as a starting pitcher. I think you need to add a starter, and I think that's honestly above all that may be the biggest need because at third base you played off with Sonoha and Lao. Is it ideal? No, but it may be easier to garner pitching in this trade market rather than a right handed hitting third base, which would be ideal. You know, one that could hit for a little bit more power, so more thumb in the lineup would be obviously ideal. So I think those starting pitching is obviously a big need. Third base is the biggest need, but third base, starting pitching and at least one high leverage reliever definitely should be what I at least I look at in terms of the needs. The names are still too tough to tell. You're gonna start seeing a lot more sellers in the market now when in the next week or two so, things will begin to, you know, become more clear as to what names. And I think this is when we really start hearing the real rumors take place.
Speaker 5: Right Yeah, you kind of arrived at the place where I was at in terms of I do think it's starting pitching first and foremost. That that's I don't think it's a successful deadline unless they acquire additional starting pitching from outside the organization. They don't have enough internally right now they have outside of the guys that are currently in their rotation, and I'm not exactly sure who's currently in their rotation. I'm not one hundred percent sure if Tyler Phillips still is the way that they used him on Sunday that I felt like they got an ending from him and already getting him reactulated. It seems a bit to being a reliever. If anybody goes down, it's it's Braxton Garrett in case of the injury, and I think we will see Braxton at the big league level at some point you just can't rely on him when you really haven't seen any sort of major league success from him in like three years. It's like late twenty twenty three, which means that they got to add somebody from outside the organization. I think that's the one area where there's a lot of different directions to go, Like there always are starting pitcher ors moved at the very least rental ones, But this is I put in a roundtable, like, I think this is a good opportunity for the Marlins even to get somebody with some club control looking ahead and understanding that even looking to not only something to fill a gap for twenty twenty six, but looking ahead to twenty twenty seven and feeling like they could I don't think they necessarily have all the answers internally for next year either when it comes to that. So this is an opportunity to really adjust that concern both now and moving forward. At the very least.
Speaker 3: Guys coming back from injuries can also feel like an internal type of trade. So never Bender comes back, hopefully john Kin comes back soon. Those are two pieces that you're adding to the bullpen that you know it's currently weak right now, but you have them two plus Phillips, maybe you don't really need to fill up that bullpen. Maybe maybe that's a good point there, Elie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a reminder for who is on the IL for the Miami Marlins when they return to play on Friday, July seventeenth. You have had amazing Robbie selling both out for the year. You've got Bender Echnes, Kempner and John King and Andrew Nordi all on the IL, with obviously Ronnie Henriquez not going to pitch this year either. So I agree some pitching need is needed here, and I think a perfect addition would be a Tyler Phillips guy, but not him. Obviously you've added him to either the rotation or to the bullpen, but you need someone that can be a hybrid starter and reliever because they're need help on both sides and they just sort of want to bring in one big arm. Someone that can fulfill both those needs I think would be ideal. But with that, Kevin, just really quickly, if you want to touch on, you were at the Major League Baseball Draft on Saturday, weird timing this year, in the middle of a Marlins baseball game. The Marlins basedectly fourteenth overall pick, Jacob Lombard from my alma mater, Gulliver Prep Preparatory School. Kevin, what do you know about the young man? From what I can see, he's developed quite well physically as an eighteen year old. One could only wish, but six three, one hundred and eighty pounds eighteen year old kid out of South Florida. Your thoughts on the Marlins first overall pick and the rest of the draft?
Speaker 3: Yeah, real quick, it was a weird timing for this draft that was on a Saturday, right before Marlins game or Major League Baseball games, not even just the Marlins. So there's this thing at which I did not know this is a thing until I joined the BBWA, but there is a breakfast like brunch type thing each year the day of the All Star Game where BPA, the MLBPA guy talks. I was used to be Tony Clark, Nuts Bruce Meyer and and Rob Manfred and Rob Manford was asked about, you know why moved the draft? Why why'd you do that? It definitely affected I don't know, he said, you know, like it affected just the way people's days when it was a little bit annoying.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 3: He kind of said, like, you know, as part of the TV deal, that's the best one that was available to us. And regardless of that, I don't know how much this is truth, but like he did say, they got back very good reviews with it and all that stuff. But I found that interesting. That was like there was a lot spoken about in those meetings, but Lombard very good pick. I don't think anyone could have imagined this being a scenario for the Marlins except Jim Kallis. Apparently he actually had the Marble taking Lombard like literally the day of the draft or something like that the night before. But yeah, no, this was a guy who was supposed to go in the top five. He was the top high school player in the draft. I'm pretty sure too, or like one top two. So you know, our guy Sean McCormick just wrote an article and he's the best outcome for this guy could be Troy Tulwisky. So that's very exciting to hear. Lombard's gonna stick at shortstop. That's that's very exciting to hear. And I don't know, I think this is a guy you could potentially move through the system relatively quickly, although I wouldn't rush it because we know what happened with the last two high school guys they took in the top with their top two picks has not gone very well. It's very different talent, obviously, but you know, rushing them like that and putting throwing them into the fire right away, did it work, And hopefully that's not the case with Lombard. Take your time with him. You have guys ahead of him, like a cobba, like an arquette organizationally at shortstop where you could take your time with Lombard. But hey, if he's the one performing better than all those guys and he's moving up quickly, then you go with him. And we're gonna have to do a top thirty update again, hopefully not adding a lot of prospects to it because of being sellers at the deadline. But Lombard's a top three prospecting the system right now, and I know we were discussing that, and then you know, overall the draft, it was a very weird draft. They actually chose a lot more high school guys and I would have anticipated, but I'm assuming that's them, assuming they already had a predne deal with Lombard. But again, they kind of admitted like they didn't expect this guy to fall to them, so I'm curious to see what happens there. They chose a couple more high school guys. I think the biggest pick outside of Lombard was Rentaro Sasaki out of Stanford. He was It's an interesting case. He was an absolute phenom coming out of I believe it was Japan. So that's like a dude who hits for a lot of power. He struggled in his first year at the collegiate level in Stanford, but was very good this past season. And the big thing with him is that he was selected in the first round of the MPB Draft, so he could make a lot more money over there, or go back to Stanford, or you know, sign with the Marlins. So that's that was a wild card pick. I don't think anyone would have thought he was going to get picked, but they are under the assumption that he will sign, so we'll see that continues to be the case. And outside of that, nothing really stands out. I'm gonna have to do my own little deep dive on the draft, but I think right now, you look at this list and top thirty guys I think Lombard really the only one. Maybe the other two picks slipped towards the back end of that, but overall good draft can't complain. We'll see if they sign. I think this is a big thing of this will be signability. They are able to keep guys and able to sign them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely want to keep them from going to college in this case. With that, I think we can sort of migrate over to our big interview with the principal owner of Your Miami Marlins, Bruce Sherman.
Speaker 5: Enjoy the Jetski Rentals of South Florida. They present all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat adventures Jesseke Rentals of South Florida, with sixitski locations and over one hundred and twenty boats, there's something for every style and every budget. Right Jetski's riding from the Downtown Skyline and Ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only it's a book called three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or check them out online at SF jet Ski Rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code phish on first and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or online at SF Jetski rentals dot com.
Speaker 2: Today, we are really pleased to be joined by the principal owner and chairman of your Miami Marlins, Bruce Sherman. Mister Bruce, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to spend it here with us this morning. How's your morning going.
Speaker 6: He's going great.
Speaker 8: And I want to thank you guys for hosting me and for all your tenants with all the games.
Speaker 6: And Kevin was at the pres got up really early.
Speaker 8: He was at the All Star Game. And I listened to your stuff or read your stuff. I watch your stuff, and uh, it's good to be here.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it. You watched so much, and you mentioned Auto Lopez. What's how fun is it watching some of your players every year? Obviously watching some of your players participate in the Midsummer Class like every July.
Speaker 8: I think we could have had more than two. It's great, you know, when anybody get hurt. But we've got a lot of all stars on that team and a lot of emerging all stars.
Speaker 2: Bruce, you're coming up on a ten year anniversary since when you bought the Miami Marlins in October of twenty seventeen. I'm curious how the reality of being the Miami Marlins owner has compared with what you expected going in. How is it differed. What has your experience been like owning this Marlins team.
Speaker 8: I guess we're coming up a ninth at seventeenth right closed in October seventeen. It's one of the great privileges and thrills I've had in life. I just love where we're headed. I enjoy the interaction with all the people. I enjoy my interaction with our other owners, with all the management, with the front office. And I'm a passionate baseball fan. I've lived in Floria of fifty years, and I remember we didn't have baseball in Florida. So it was an exciting day when the Florida Marlins came into existence. It's even more exciting now with the privilege of, as you said, getting to be the person being the chairman of principal owner. I think I guess, I mean, I guess that you know further on that, it's it's been an evolution, their highs and their lows. We're in our eighth year of operations, and it's particularly gratified to see where we're headed and the direction we're headed in which I'm really very positive about.
Speaker 2: I think we can tackle some of the quote unquote misconceptions that fans may have pretty early in this show. I'm curious you and I have spoken very really once to just how maybe fans don't understand how lucrative it exactly is to own a major league team. You know, some teams, it is. Some teams it's not, just not as lucrative as fans seem to think. What is one misconceptions misconception the fans have about the organizations finances that maybe you'd like to nip in the butt.
Speaker 6: Oh you got to.
Speaker 8: If you have an hour, I could talk about that. But the reality is I didn't get involved, and I don't believe all my partners got involved just for a quick internal rate of return.
Speaker 6: We're all passionate about baseball.
Speaker 8: We're very healthy financially a very healthy financial organization, and with that comes never taking funds out of the stadium team and putting funds back in and as a result, that allows us to build subject sustainable versus just something in a one shot deal. Fans are always interested in just very simply, you know, play a payroll and trade deadline all the noise. We're doing it in a I think terrific manner, hiring the best people, engaging the best people, and investing throughout the organization to build something that's sustainable forever and at the same time very important to.
Speaker 6: The South Florida community.
Speaker 8: And I guess that's you know, critical, especially when you look at the investments we made in baseball operations. It's not popular for fans or for media to talk about it, but we put hundreds of millions of dollars and nobody looks at that number over and above the purchase price into the Marlins to create an organization with Peter Bendix, Gabe Kapler, Clayton mccullor, et cetera, would be thrilled to operate in. And it's not just the people, which is a substantial investment, it's the facilities.
Speaker 6: And I repeated it, but the investment.
Speaker 8: We made in the Dominican Republic several years ago to be state of the art. Are Jupiter Complex, which took several years, and there's even more construction going on now is state of the art. And I get to visit with the players and some of the fans and some of the front office and see the change we made. And it doesn't even stop there. It continues with the tens of millions of dollars improvements we made at Loan Depot. And the fans don't get to go behind the doors. We do, and I think that's a big misconception. And I think you're starting to see now the fruits of all those efforts in the third year of Peter Bennix.
Speaker 3: Buruse appreciate you taking the time. You've made a career out of making good events and investments. Where do you think the models ranking those investments that you've made.
Speaker 8: I only got to this point with my fellow owners by being a good investor and good at what I did in my business, both developing and hiring lots of people and then ultimately selling the business but running it for twenty five years. This investment was never about internal rate of return because only the only internal rate of return comes at the end of the day someday in the future of unbeknowned state. The reality is it's low. There's psych benefits, there's the government benefit. I don't miss a pitch both the thirty or forty home games. I go to every single away game. I try to go to as many way games as possible, and I interact with all the people, so you don't see that because you're appropriately.
Speaker 6: Talking to the management group, not the ownership group.
Speaker 8: And I get extraordinary benefit from knowing the baseball was round eight years ago and knowing as much as I know now about all the intricacies of owning and running a baseball team, and taking the awesome responsibility of being the control person and being the ultimate authority at every decision.
Speaker 3: Bruce, one of the times we get to talk to you during the season is at spring training during the first Stiffs full squad, and you deliver some notable sound bites. Last year, you said that the team will win more games than people expected. That was true in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 8: I think we're gonna win a lot of games, a lot more games than you think we're gonna win.
Speaker 6: This year.
Speaker 4: That this year.
Speaker 3: You made it know that your focus is to w I and win. Where does that conviction come from? And where do these do you?
Speaker 7: Do?
Speaker 3: You plan these ahead of time? How does the uh? How do you end up working out for you? They they've worked out pretty well the last two years.
Speaker 8: I wish I was that smart, but believe me, I'm not. And it just comes from the heart. Why I always remind.
Speaker 6: Everybody at the end of the day, this is a baseball team.
Speaker 8: We can have special events at lone Depot, and Caroline O'Connor does an extraordinary job coordinating these events, our staff under her and bringing people into events, whether it's the Winter Classic, whether it's you know, Monster Truck or any other event. Nothing is important other than winning. And that's why I've spent so much of my time on the operations side, working with Peter, working with Gabe, and providing the financial resources and providing the guidance to be successful. And uh, maybe I was lucky with those two statements, but I believe it because I see the development not only at the major league level. I see the development at the minor league level. I was talking to Peter just the other day and I looked at some of the earlier years when you know six seven, eight nine were up in the lineup and you wonder where.
Speaker 6: The runs were going to come from.
Speaker 8: Now, when six seven, eight nine are in the lineup, I feel a lot more confident they have at any other point in the season. And you don't have to go beyond that. You can look at our relief pitching. You've got our starting pitching. Yes, we've had some injuries, but everybody has injuries. So my confidence comes from Clayton and Peter Dabe Kapler and the culture that they've created. Yes, on a day to day basis, they're working the ten twelve hours a day home and away, and they're creating the culture ownership of supporting that culture, and it seems to be going in the right direction. I'm really happy about that. And the culture even goes beyond that. We do a lot in the community with the Marlins Foundation. I do things personally as well, which you don't see, but most importantly, Caroline the team do an awful lot.
Speaker 6: To create.
Speaker 8: A good feeling in baseball. With everything in South Florida, I just hope it extends from the Miami area all the way up to the northern part of to Palm Beach County.
Speaker 5: The Fish on First podcast is brought to you by fan Duel Miami Marlins fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shots with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is so easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. Coming out of the All Star break, we have to focus on Roberto Hernandez. He is tied for the Marlins team lead this season with thirteen home runs. A ton of those have come lately, and he's going to be in the lineup pretty much every single day for the near term future given their Marlin's outfield situation. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 9: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 4: Bruce.
Speaker 3: The Monits are currently seven games over five hundred. It's good enough for the third National League walidcard spot. What have been your thoughts and Al Clayton and the team off played up to this point.
Speaker 6: It's been great.
Speaker 8: Uh, nobody likes being swept the last three games before the All Star Game, but you take it on balance the organization any even in that game, we ran in some good left handed pitching and we ran into some very uh you know, not a team that just come off some losses. And I think you have to take it on balance. So I'm extraordinarily excited. I appreciate the fans coming out in more size now and I probably enjoy more than anything else, how hard the team is playing, how smart they're playing, how they compete all night innings, the comeback wins, and the consistency, I mean, one of the things. And you know I've read your columns when the times people criticize some of the moves we make in the coaching staff, the reality is unbalanced.
Speaker 6: I love the.
Speaker 8: Consistency, I love the moves. I love that it's a well thought out plan for every move that's made before the game. During the game, it's Clayton and the coaching staff to run. They're involved in every aspect and it's truly extraordinary to see the amount of effort that goes into every aspect, most of which is not seen.
Speaker 6: Even the extraordinary.
Speaker 8: Training methods we're using, all right, were the only the team still calling pitchers from the which is not training. But with the team still calling pitches from the dugout our training sometimes out there you've seen it. It's bring training and that gives me a lot of beliefs. And you know, the organization that the front office said, they.
Speaker 6: All may not work, but we're going to try them and we're.
Speaker 8: Going to try to add value to the organization, not just the twenty six of twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty nine and beyond. And that gives me great comfort in the people, because it's all about people. At the end of the day, I'm not hitting the ball and I'm not throwing the ball, and they're developing a lot of good people, and you see it in the farm system. We all have our favorites and it's going in the right direction. So I'm happy about that.
Speaker 2: And the innovation is really a lot of fun to watch from the outside, Bruce. Every single time we have visitors, it's like, what the heck is that during vatting practice. But my next question sort of is about the baseball operation side of things. You recently spoke to Marlin's radio talking very highly and fondly about Sanrielle Cantarra, who was fully overlapped with your tenure with them Miami Marlins. I know what he means to you, to the community, to the city, and you mentioned that you look forward to having this guy be with Miami for a long time. My question is how do you balance the emotional slash business aspect of a player like that without interfering with baseball operation side and saying, Okay, hey, maybe we should trade the guy, even though everyone doesn't want that to happen.
Speaker 6: Look, that's a great question.
Speaker 8: And if you look at the job that the front office is done, headed by Peter on the whether it's rule five, whether it's trades. I mean I had talked, We had talked to everybody. When you know a two time batting champion, which traded. Okay, we've been through this movie. We've seen the movie Sandy's Special, Sandy Special. I made those comments with a lot of thought in them. You know, I know all the economics. We understand the economics, and Sandy's Special. He believes so much the organization on the field, off the field, and I mean, if you just look at what Standy's done. I mean I flew with him, you know, six hour round trip to the Dominican. What a wonderful person. His English language is perfect now four or five years ago, wasn't guess what my Spanish is like zero?
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: So I give people an awful lot of credit, not because he won the cy Young Award alone, because of who the person he is, the family man he is, and what he's done. I mean, he's a mentor to your he's a mentor to young pictures, he's a leader. We need that kind of presence in the clubhouse and we need that kind of person. And he's just special. And I'm looking forward to pitching the rest of the year.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 2: Bruce Kevin mentioned that you guys are seven games over five hundred. You guys are in a position to potentially add to your roster to really attack a playoff spot. You guys are even close to an and the least division title, something that hasn't been done in franchise history. Have you given Peter Bennix and the rest of the basal operations the green light to whatever resource is necessary to this roster to make it a World Series contender.
Speaker 6: Peter has a green light.
Speaker 8: It's not lost on me the benefits of a division champion versus a playoff spot. I lived through twenty three with the Phillies. I lived through twenty twenty was fans. There wasn't a lot of fun. And look what we did in twenty three, that was a bigger We took on a lot of money twenty three for you know, I think Josh Bellenberger, to their credit, made a difference in getting us to the playoffs that year. The picture not so much, but it was good. So as a result, that's available, and that doesn't mean you mortgage one year for the next. And it's something that the deep dive that our front office will go through, which is the same deep dive I did in my business all those years and was fortunate enough to be in this pitution will take place. There's still what sixteen games or so left, and we don't know what it's going to look like. There are percentages, there's analysis, there's players, there's contracts. All the building blocks are there, and I know that Peter will do a very, very thorough job. But I'm relying on Peter Bennix. I'm not relying on Bruce Sherman's instincts, right.
Speaker 2: Peter Bendix's instincts is what gotten you this far so quickly since hiring mister Peter. There's one thing I want to go off topic with you very quickly, is just the South Florida market since you bought the team in October twenty seventeen. Do you see baseball being sustainable in this market? You mentioned Palm Beachley sort of, I guess limited to their access to the ballpark, And I know you didn't choose it where the ballpark was chosen, but where it was placed. But what are your thoughts on the long term part of baseball being in South Florida.
Speaker 8: I'm really optimistic you can talk about the growth of the population. You could talk about traffic patterns, you could talk about a lot of things. You could talk about public transportation, but mostly we all know when we have fifteen thousand people there over the weekend per game m Cleveland, people can get there, they can park the car, they can get on ninety five, they can take the train down there.
Speaker 6: The neighbor is becoming very easy place.
Speaker 8: Access is improved, and I want people to look at it, not when there's forty thousand people there for the Winter Classic and there's a little more traffic in the parking lot, but the focus on what Caroline and the team has done to make ingress and egress acceptable, to provide the home runner.
Speaker 6: You know, Van, if.
Speaker 8: You will to come off the train, and I think if you win, people will come out.
Speaker 6: They want a winner, they've experienced a winner.
Speaker 8: And this is not the organization that's going to do what's happened in the past. You win, and if you don't get enough of ten and just say, oh okay, I'm disrupting the organization. We're not disruptors, we're builders. And that's why Peter was hired. That's why someone have gave capitalist staminas here and That's.
Speaker 6: Why Clayton joined the organization.
Speaker 8: We want to be sustained, we want to win, and there's no reason and give anything's going around in baseball that we can't be sustainable and winning for a long long time and change the fates of perception of not only baseball in Miami, but baseball in Florida as well.
Speaker 2: Since purchasing the team, we mentioned this is your ninth year. Which do you consider your best decisions and moments during this tenure and what are some things that you would have maybe done differently?
Speaker 8: Wow, the best decision, of which there are many, is clearly revamping the management the way we did. Okay, I think those decisions and giving Peter and the organization the financial.
Speaker 6: Tools to do what they've done have done.
Speaker 8: Emphasize the cultural nature and whether it's the culture of treating the families specifically wonderful, the players' families and girlfriends, whatever the nutrition elements, the player development side, not just with the twenty six players you see in the dugout, but the two hundred and seventy players that are in the in the whole organization. So that decision is something I'm really proud of. I'm proud that Caroline has been with me for the full full eight years. It alleviates a lot of responsibility. Knows she's gonna take care of everything, and the commitments from the other owners to the plan that we have undertaken here, which is to invest these substantial resources that we've done to get in winning a winning culture. In terms of you know, disappointments, I hate losing. I am I disappointed that if we win and the fans don't come out, that will be disappointing. What I see in twenty when they couldn't come out because of COVID, what I see in twenty three at upticking attendance, and I expect to see an upticking tendancy now because I expect to win going forward. I'm not playing the game every day, Petere's not playing the game. But if you get the best twenty six people and that doug out you can have, you're going to have success. So that is a you know, a reasonable question, I think a reasonable good.
Speaker 3: Summer, Bruce, last one, again, appreciate you doing this a lot. Just what message would you give to the fans that are still doubting this team, that are still doubting what's going on? Here in Miami, and you know, to get fans to come out and support this team in the second half. You know, a team that's playing really good baseball in these last two months.
Speaker 8: I think the simplest way to look at that is and I'm a big analytics person, a data person that was part of my career, and certainly Peter in the front of us are very data oriented.
Speaker 6: If the average fan.
Speaker 8: Just looks at simple statistics of the thirty teams in baseball, not only wins and losses, but data points, you know, straight up the middle Joe Mack x Marc people like that, and then they look at the data. I don't know if for eight to tenth and team batting average over seven and ninth in one category or eleventh in the era, but we're no longer twenty fifth to thirtieth in any categories. They were leading in stolen base So look at the data, and the data translert translates to wins and losses. So as a result, there's no reason not to come. It's an inexpensive form. Relevantly, speaking of entertainment, we still have these packages. You get into that stadium for ten dollars, you get a hot dog, you have four for forty four. You can come in on the special promotions, you get gifts. It's a wonderful family outing. One thing I can tell you speaking to a lot of fans, not only the fans in the members area we have the PNC Club, but the average fan is excited.
Speaker 6: About what we're doing.
Speaker 8: They believe in it. The reality is we're winning. It's an exciting team. We run, we steal bases, we take extra bases. We're hitting home runs now, so what a great experience. And we organize it with a family intent. And there's nothing in the game's now only two and a half hours. Unless we're hitting a lot of runs. It hits, then there're three hours. But it's just a family entertainment. There's no reason not to come. Caroline always reminds we want to get one fan of a time, and Peter always reminds me we want to get one winter at a time, but not just for this year, but for sustainable success for the long period.
Speaker 6: And I think absolutely that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: You are surrounded by the right people, it appears, and for what it's worth, I completely concur I think there's no reason to not be attending a Marlins game, and it's not in a bad area at all. It's very easy to get to and there's fun baseball going on and you're a baseball fan. There's absolutely zero reason for that, Saion, And.
Speaker 8: I'll leave you with one thing, the additional commitment we made to Miami Live, which is going to be on the west side of the ballpark. That'll be open, not really this year when you come to games, but next year. Whether it's Miami Live or there's going to a game, there's great opportunities. And our players participate in so many community events. It's really wonderful and you can get to know them. It's really great, great sport. I played it as a kid and we all grew up in a you five or six of you. There aren't Fisher First, wouldn't be here if you didn't love baseball yourself.
Speaker 6: So thank you, thank you, thank you for having me on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You certainly got that right, mister Bruce. Thank you so much for taking the time. We know how busy times are, and hopefully this is going to be an excellent second half that we'll all remember for a very long time. And hey, who knows, maybe ten games over five hundred. Next year we can do this again.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, go Marlins. Let's get to the playoffs. Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for Kevin, for myself or Bruce, thank you all for listening, and as always, go Fish.