Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: I hope you got a great weekend. Gangs all here, including Fritzie, ready to go. On this Monday, we recap everything and then we look ahead to the NFC and AFC Championship games. By the way, DraftKings has the lines for you. Chiefs are getting three in Baltimore, the Lions are getting seven in San Francisco. Also the odds to win the Super Bowl, it's the Niners, then Ravens, then Chiefs, and then the Lions eight seven to seven to three. DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP Show. As we normally do on a Monday after a playoff game or playoff weekend, we usually spend some time on the teams that lost, because we'll have ample time coming up later on this week to talk about those who have advanced. The Ravens, Lions, Niners, and the Chiefs. Jim Harbaugh second interview with the Falcons, and Bill Belichick has already had two interviews with the Falcon. We'll talk to Peter Schrager, NFL Network, Fox Sports Insider. He'll join us coming up a little bit later on Hall of famer ty Law will stop by the man Cave. We'll check in with the bills, We'll check in with the Lions as well, and we'll check in with you as we always do every Monday.
Speaker 3: Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 2: What you saw that you liked you didn't like, you can dial us up Operator Tyler standing by eight seven seven three DP show stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. Those are the official trading cards and NFTs of the Dan Patrick Show. This hour brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. They will help you hire your next pro. Forget about posting jobs, sifting through resumes, interviews with unqualified applicants. Move up to the pros goo to expresspros dot com. Find the location nearest you. That's expresspros dot Com. I came to the conclusion yesterday last night. Patrick Mahomes is underrated. Yes he is. He's underrated because when you watch him like there's never a feeling of oh, I wonder if he can do it, or you know he's gonna get loose here and do something that you know is not normal. Even if they kick the field goal, make the field goal, you still give him a minute and forty five seconds in two timeouts, Like how many players do we have in all of sports?
Speaker 3: Where you go, yeah, somehow he'll he'll make it happen.
Speaker 2: He only needs thirteen seconds, you know. I just there's something about him when he takes the field. It feels like he's one step ahead. Now he's not, but there's a looming presence of they've got Patrick Mahomes. And the only other time I really remember that is Tom Brady, where you go, oh boy, they gave him too much time. Maybe if you go back to a previous generation with Joe Montana, he did it twice in the Super Bowl against the Bengals, where you know, last second, last minute. They end up winning those Super Bowls. But winning a game, a big game, an important game, a playoff game on the road. I never ever doubted Patrick Mahomes. Now I can doubt the Kansas City Chiefs. I can doubt some of their receivers, maybe Andy Reid with some of his decisions. But when it comes back to the common denominator, the bottom line, it's Patrick Mahomes. Here's Mahomes after beating the Bills in Buffalo.
Speaker 1: I've been on the other side of that it's tough.
Speaker 4: You put in so much effort and work every single game to play in these playoff games, and he played his talloff and they gave them a chance to win the game. We were just able to come out with the win in the end. But that's two great football teams, two great offensive defenses, everything going at it, and we were able to come out on top this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's talking about Josh Allen, who had a couple of touchdown runs. And I was trying to figure out what was Buffalo's game plan the philosophy here. They were running the ball and then nobody scored in the second half. Buffalo decides they're going to pass in the fourth quarter, and I was just trying to figure out if they knew what was going to be successful, or Hey, we're going to surprise them. Hey we have a surprise punt. No, that's not good, Like you didn't need to surprise them. I thought Buffalo was able to go toe to toe, run the ball, control the clock, and beat them at home. But then all of a sudden, you know, you play a game of chess and then you start to don'tthink yourself, and I kept wondering, why is Buffalo changing up whatever their philosophy is, they had a chance descended into overtime, or at least the possibility of overtime. And this is how it sounded. With the potential game time kick.
Speaker 5: Forty four yard attempt from the right, hash slap by Ferguson, hold by Martin, kick by Bass is on the way, and it is no.
Speaker 1: Good, no good.
Speaker 6: Why to the right, it's a good time, miss my bass.
Speaker 7: He struggled a week ago.
Speaker 8: And so now the Bills get out to go out there on defense and they only have two timeouts left in this one.
Speaker 6: They have got to make a stop.
Speaker 2: So that's Tyler Bass and that was the Bills radio network with the call. So they advanced twenty seven to twenty four. And now they go to Baltimore. And here's something that I think for most of the year, we've talked about Lamar Jackson. Hey, get that contract, and you know, Zay Flowers loved him.
Speaker 3: You know, nobody really knew who he was.
Speaker 2: He played at BC and you still have the you know, maybe the greatest kicker in NFL history, John Harball is going to be a Hall of Fame coach. And it was not about their defense their defense is elite. It is great and I think if if Baltimore is going to win the Super Bowl, they will win, not because Lamar Jackson, but because of that defense. Now do you need Lamar Jackson making big plays, Absolutely, but we tend to focus on the quarterbacks. And Lamar has done you know he's going to be your MVP. But that defense is great. And that is a very very interesting matchup of Baltimore's defense against Kansas City's offense. And it's in Baltimore. But the Ravens over the Texans and it's one of those seasons with the Texans where you go, wow, congratulations. I know that they got blown out, or the appearance of being blown out, but to get where they got and you know, here's c J. Stroud making it look easy. You found your quarterback. The Niners over the Packers. Packers were a better team. They were that night. They were a better team. But the Niners made the plays when they need to make the plays. On that last drive, Rock Purty didn't look great, didn't look good. And Jordan Love, you know, you press a little bit there. We don't need to go Brett Farv. We don't need to act like Brett farv or Aaron Rodgers be yourself and he tried a little too hard there and had the interception, had a couple interceptions. Lines over the Buccaneers. If I'm the Buccaneers, I feel really good about you know, what my team did. And maybe you found your quarterback in Baker Mayfield. Certainly look like that, And that was a little closer than I thought it should have been. Where you're going, all right, Lions, what are you doing? Because Tampa didn't seem that threatening, and then all of a sudden they were threatening, and then all of a sudden they're looming, they're hanging, and then you go, oh boy, you imagine Buccaneers go into Detroit and ruin all of this. Here's Dan Campbell talking about the environment at home.
Speaker 9: Well, I think it's important, right, I mean, you can't, you know, it's not the first thing you think of if you go to LA or just in general. Right, you got the sign, you got the beach, you got plenty of other things going on, and here man, and it's harsh winners, right, auto industry, blue collar things aren't always easy. And I just think that's what we were about, and that was you know, you want something to sity be proud of. Though, you can look at those guys and say, man, I can back that guy, I can back that team. You know, I can resonate with those group of guys. They're kind of salty, you know, they don't quit, they play hard, and so I feel like we've done that. And I think these guys, you know, they have a kinship with a city in this area and they love it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope so, because you had people who had an entire life where they didn't have a playoff win, or maybe they had one, and now all of a sudden, you've had two. And now you go to San Francisco and I know Dallas has self proclaimed America's team, it might be the Detroit Lions that if you're looking for that team, if your team's not in, it's Detroit and Jared Goff, Jamiir Gibbs is awesome who in space as the analysts like to say. Now, when he was coming out, I had my college football source said, hey, he's going to be the best running back in this draft and he's going to remind you of Marshall Faulk. So remember Detroit Light took him twelve and then people are like, oh my god, you don't take a running back that early. Well, I'm watching that yesterday and I'm going, yeah, maybe they got him where they needed to get him. And what a great draft by the Detroit Lions. But Jamir Gibbs his ability to make you miss, you know, in a phone booth, it's really really impressive. And they that's a fun team. It's a fun team to watch and a fun team to root for. But going out to San Francisco where there are a seven point underdog and the Chiefs will be getting three against the Ravens. All right, we say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, you can download the app if you haven't done so. Our radio affiliates around the country as well. Best and Worst of the Weekend we do that every Monday. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Seat no' connor's responsibility, at least one of them, is to come up with a thought provoking pole.
Speaker 11: Question, more of a poll question curator. Okaysdays time, all right, I like to get the group involved. Okay, this one's from Paul, which hurts more what happened to the bills yesterday? Or actual pain? One don't hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, this is where the cold harsh reality literally, the cold harsh reality of Okay, no more football.
Speaker 3: Now we have winter.
Speaker 11: Season's over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have winter in Buffalo. But when you have football in Buffalo at the same time, you're like, yeah, we can put up with this. It ain't that bad. Now, all of a sudden, it's like, dang, it's cold. This is really cold. If Detroit had lost, it would have been the cold harsh reality of Man, this is cold. But you know, I would say that pain can go away from the standpoint if I injure myself, Okay, that eventually goes away. I don't know how long this takes to go away.
Speaker 11: Because it's taken a while thus far.
Speaker 3: And of course it's wide right.
Speaker 2: You know, there's part of you that would rather be blown out than to lose in a close game. Yeah, it feels like to have that kick go wide right, which I don't believe that's the reason that they lost the game. It's just an unfortunate yeah, an unfortunate occurrence. But to have that kick go wide right, it's one of the cruelest things I can think of the sports gods doing to a fan base. And I kept thinking, if you're gonna miss it, miss it left, like, do not miss it right?
Speaker 12: And the way that it like, it's like it's like it was on a string and at about ten yards before the uprights zip because it catches. I don't know what kind of like spin was on it or whatever, but it hangs a sharp right not even.
Speaker 2: Looks like it had a blinker turn signal on it. Here is Jim Nance with the call on CBS.
Speaker 3: The game on the line. He will forty four yards bass, No.
Speaker 13: He doesn't make it right.
Speaker 3: The two most dreaded words in Buffalo. Yeah, great call by Jim. Great call. Uh So what else do we have other poll questions there? Seaton?
Speaker 11: That is just yeah, absolutely cruel?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Uh These we got two from Todd. Oh yeah, okay. Will Josh Allen eventually reach the Super Bowl?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Or no? Again?
Speaker 11: These always read a statements for some reason.
Speaker 2: This is where Todd. So it's not a question, this is your opinion. You don't think Josh Allen's going to make us.
Speaker 15: So I would like to see him reach a super Bowl?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you would that. That's not the question. I had to bet Right.
Speaker 15: Now, I'm going to say, Unfortunately, it's going to go the way of no super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, just setting up that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have statements, you project. Okay, what's uh, Todd? No, No, that's not what this is.
Speaker 3: You don't. Likability doesn't get you to the super Bowl.
Speaker 15: That's true.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Tod? All right, what else? What's Todd's other statement?
Speaker 11: It's got another one that feel more rude. I'd rather him read it.
Speaker 15: How tired are you of the Chiefs and everything that comes with them?
Speaker 3: I get all of that. I understand that.
Speaker 12: Then, and everything that comes with them is the added Okay is that?
Speaker 3: What's this based on?
Speaker 15: That could be based on the commercials with Andy Reid homes and Kelsey and girlfriends and wives and press back and sweets and they keep winning and beating up my team on top of that, and the choice are very much so slightly and Chiefs Kingdom.
Speaker 6: Baby.
Speaker 2: Well you have Travis Kelsey, who he'd looked banged up, but he did have two touchdowns and his brother was there with his shirt off in his suite.
Speaker 3: He was there. Yeah, I think so. I think he was there.
Speaker 11: They're not shy of the camera. They the Kelsey bros. They are not They're not shy of the camera.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 11: This is business, Yeah it is, and they're making I mean their podcast is like off the charts.
Speaker 2: This is this is a business game plan decision straight cash home. It's like you know, Peyton and Eli, it's a game plan here with the Kelseys. But Travis had a couple of touchdowns and then he gave the heart. Okay, I'm like okay, Like I was okay with it because if you're gonna do it, then go all the way. See, I thought, I love love, you do love love. I thought that he at first I thought that he blew the kiss and did the heart thing to the Buffalo fans. I thought he was doing it to Bills fans. Uh uh, because he like, yeah, touchdown, like blew a kiss. You know that they've been like getting on him the whole game, yeah, you know, and talking all this trash probably the whole week leading up on social media and all of that. I thought that he did both of those things to Bills fans.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 16: The cover of Forbes magazine, Roger Goodell, the Kelsey brothers, Taylor Swift just a nice big you know what, we all made this happen. Everybody with the Super Bowl trophy right there.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think his brother gets on stage or to cover Fourth Magazine I saw.
Speaker 2: Okay, but they like they wouldn't be all like Taylor would be up on the podium with Travis.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's happening. No, I don't either.
Speaker 2: It'd be great though, if I was handing out the trophy and I had that opportunity, because I'd ask Taylor probably you know, three questions, and then Travis two questions, and then maybe one to Andy Reid.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, are there any.
Speaker 15: Legal issues with those that were throwing snowballs directly at the Chiefs to find them or only one of them would have actually got hit or injured a hit in the face because Mahomes a couple of times looked like he came very close to get hit and right in the face with a snowball. What do you do about that?
Speaker 3: Let the winket that the home team is allowed to waste.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody's got hats and gloves on the way.
Speaker 3: Of zooming in.
Speaker 15: They know who's stormed the capitol, and there's waste to get I don't know.
Speaker 3: You could find out storming the capitol.
Speaker 15: I'm saying you can zoom in and the technology to find out who's throwing snowballs, and there should be some punishment. You could really hurt somebody with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, why don't you get it?
Speaker 2: Send a note to the NFL, I think the local police or maybe the local police maybe.
Speaker 3: I just asked them if they plan on pressing charges.
Speaker 6: But they maybe, Hey, it's our bills fans.
Speaker 3: Good for them.
Speaker 6: I'm glad they wish they would have hit a couple of them.
Speaker 11: Yes, Seedon, I mean we did bring it up after the Steelers game. We did too, Yeah, where people are throwing snowballs. Yeah, I don't know if now that was after the game. Look, I don't know if they're going to try to single people out enforce that the local police are going to do that, but you can, you know, check with the local police there if you want, or the and or the NFL, or Mike Florio, send Mike.
Speaker 3: He loves hearing from you, Todd.
Speaker 15: It seems like they seems like that is part of the you know, something that you don't get with the ticket. I'm sure there's got to be something written on the back that you can't be throwing snowballs at people.
Speaker 3: Thank you to s take a rick.
Speaker 2: Check in with the Buffalo Bills eight seven seven three DP Show Email Adder Stpa, Dan Patrick dot Twitter handle The GP Show.
Speaker 3: Take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 17: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of the Ben Maler Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen?
Speaker 17: Picture if you will a world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Two weeks from today, we will be in Las Vegas, our first show out there at the Fountain. Blue Sound Capacio has been the Bill's beat reporter for WGR Sports Radio. He has covered the team for thirteen years. He's a sideline reporter as well, and he joins us on the program. Sound thanks for getting up and joining us. Give me a sense of what the feeling was in Buffalo leading up to this game, the confidence level you think that the Bills and fan base had.
Speaker 6: First of all, it's a pleasure not to join you, Dan, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: I would say it was cautiously optimistic because we've seen the Bills bow out to the Kansas City Chiefs a couple of times over the last three years in the playoffs, but those games were in Kansas City.
Speaker 6: Now you get a chance to have.
Speaker 5: What appeared to be more of a wounded kind of Kansas City team, meaning not the same Chiefs offense. They've seemed more vulnerable, and you had them here in your house, right where it's super loud. It's going to make it a tougher environment. So I think fans were cautiously optimistic, feeling good about that, but also knowing they were depleted on defense with all the injuries, and if you can just kind of hold on for sixty minutes and make a few plays.
Speaker 6: You're going to the AFC Championship game. I think that was the feeling going in.
Speaker 3: Do you think any changes are made?
Speaker 6: Sure, there's always changing changes.
Speaker 5: You know, this is an aging roster, but it's still got some good young talent obviously, and Josh Allen is just into the prime of his career right now, so they're going to contend for a while. But you have to think about guys like Jordan Foyer and Micah Hyde and you know what their future lies.
Speaker 6: And Von Miller and.
Speaker 5: He's got a big contract, but you know, coming off the injury, he wasn't that effective this particular season.
Speaker 6: But if you're talking.
Speaker 5: About front office coaching changes, there's a segment of fans who definitely would tell you, And we take calls like this all the time on my radio show Dan that say, like, hey, Sean mctrimott has been great as a culture changer, but maybe they've hit their ceiling.
Speaker 6: Maybe they can't go any farther with him.
Speaker 5: But I'll be honest with you, I just I don't see it from my perspective that ownership would do something like that. They love what they have in Sean McDermott and Brandon Bean, what they built here. They're contenders every year. They want a great program. They have synergy and the owners, the Terry Kim Pagola also owned the hockey team in town, which isn't performing very well, and they're trying to put resources into that to try And you know, I don't think they want to have both those things happening, but you never know.
Speaker 6: Nothing surprises me in this business.
Speaker 2: What do you think the level of pain is today? If you were going to describe it to the rest of the country.
Speaker 14: It's.
Speaker 6: Up there.
Speaker 5: But it's a one through ten. It's close to a ten. I mean, listen, it was a little anti climactic at the end. It wasn't like losing with thirteen seconds left when you thought you had it. And we're going to the AFC Championship at home a couple of years ago. But still, I mean, I think, more than anything, Dan, this is a big picture thing for this city.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm other than the AFL.
Speaker 5: Years in the nineteen sixties and the lacrosse team which is in town.
Speaker 6: I want to give them respect.
Speaker 5: We've never won a championship here with the Buffalo Bills, a Super Bowl or a Stanley Cup with the Buffalo Sabers and we've been down that road many times and very close, and I think this is just another one of those long lists of things that have happened in the city. I grew up here, I was here during the Super Bowl years, and now I cover this team professionally and it hurts. It hurts badly this morning, because again, I think there's a sense of if you weren't going to beat the Chiefs this year, if you're working to do it now, will you ever be able to do it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: That's what I kept coming back to that there's no other player in modern day football that I feel more confident in than Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: So even when the.
Speaker 2: Team is not as good, there's still that confidence. Look, maybe we certainly had that with Brady, we had that probably with Joe Montana, game on the line, you go yeah somehow, And I still don't have that yet with Josh Allen where you go you know what? And I thought he played pretty well. I didn't understand the game plan in the final in the fourth quarter they started to throw the ball where I thought they could have kept running all night, rush for over two hundred yards. So did McDermott talk about they tried to change things up there in the fourth quarter. No.
Speaker 5: I think what happened though, was if you watch you know the game the first half, the Bills are dominating the line of scriptage. They're run for over five yards of carry. They were controlling the game with the run game. Chiefs made a nice adjustment in the second half. They went from two high to one high. They put a guy in the box. They were making sure the Bills couldn't run the ball. They were really kind of forcing the Bills weapons to beat them in the outside. The Bills couldn't. And when they did win, they had a couple of drop passes, right, I mean, they took a couple of shots down the field steff On Digs Trent Sherfield. So I don't think it was some major game plan shift. I think the Chiefs did a good job of taking away the run game, you know. But on that note, though, I think the game plan was, you know, the Bills came into this game so depleted on defense, Dan and I think the Bill said, look, if we can control the game on the ground and keep Patrick Mahomes off the field and have long drives, and they did that seven minute drives, eight minute drives. Unfortunately, though the first one ends up a field goal, not a touchdown.
Speaker 6: That hurts you.
Speaker 5: Then you go three and out in another series later that hurts you. And really, at the end of the day, you couldn't stop the Chiefs and they were just scoring every time, which is why they went for the fake field goal. I'm sorry the fake punt, and mcdermis said, look, we just weren't stopping them, so and then as far as Josh Allen's concerned, I thought he played one heck of a game again. This guy's been so good in the playoffs. I was doing the numbers this morning. Dan, it's amazing to think he started ten playoff games. This cruse five and five, and of course the record is the record when you count passing, rushing and even one reception you had for a touchdown a few years ago, three hundred and thirty yards a game. He's accounted for twenty have ben touchdowns and only four interceptions. I mean, his numbers are remarkable. It's incredible that he has not been to a Super Bowl yet. And I think this is what we do, right, we all know it. We grew up in Dan Marino and Jim Kelly and this.
Speaker 6: Is what we do. It's the quarterbacks. The quarterback Josh Allen.
Speaker 5: If anybody thinks that he is some sort of issue why the Bills haven't gotten this far to the where they need to go, then they haven't watched.
Speaker 6: Because this is the only reason.
Speaker 5: This guy, he's carrying this team on his back like he kind of did last night.
Speaker 2: The weather is tolerable when you have football, but now that you don't have football, does it get colder?
Speaker 5: So it gets colder, especially when you have a hockey team that currently has the longest NHL playoff drought going on.
Speaker 6: And normally we can.
Speaker 5: Turn our attention there, right, I mean, normally it's like, okay, well, football season, it's over kind of things. We got our Sabers, but that hasn't been the case for eleven twelve years now in the playoffs, you know, and we have some nice things to do here in the winter in Buffalo, got college basketball around, We got some skiing and sledding and things like that. But I would say for sure our attention here in Buffalo now turns to the off season. The Bills really kind of run the show here and the Sabers do two when they're good. But yeah, i'd say so. I always say that same thing, Dan. I'm like, the worst months really are like late January and into February. So the longer the Bills can go on, that helps all of our mental health and the way we feel about things.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sal We appreciate you joining us anytime.
Speaker 6: Man. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's sound Capatrio. He is the Bills beat reporter sideline reporter for WG on our sports radio. He's been doing that covering the Bills for thirteen years. Yeah, there's cold, but you have football, and then there's cold when you don't have football, and it seems to drop about ten degrees.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls in here, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Buddha San Francisco leads us off, Good morning, Buddha.
Speaker 8: What DP, what's up, pritty?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 8: Niners playing like they play like that next weekend, they're gonna leave me kind of leave me. So saying what up, Dough, I mean, shout out to Jeffin and Troy, happy for him and Detroit and that's certainly a cool dynamic going down in the NFL.
Speaker 18: But Dan worst of the weekend with the Bills not pulling it off yesterday. They got like a little chargery feel just put like in the postseason. I mean, they're just find ways to lose these like close ones and it's just kind of sad. But obviously best of the weekend, Dan, the Niners figuring it out getting the NFT Championship again.
Speaker 8: But we need to start catching these trips in because you know, otherwise it's all going to be not good.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Buda, Chris and Kansas. Hi Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: What a what a VP?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 13: Christ got a question for you and the Dan need So. I've been a Cowboys fan for better part of the decade and Jerry Jones is slowly, slowly killing my fandom. I don't know how much more this guy get stomach. So my question to you guys is, at what point is it acceptable to switch teams or is it just the cardinal sin that cannot be broken ever?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's what being a fan is, Chris. That there are highs and lows. There's pain attached to that, but I don't think you can bail just it's been a slow march there with Jerry Jones. I mean it's been thirty over thirty years, I mean, is anything going to change? But it's when you win, that's when you realize that it was all worth it. You know, the cub fans, it was worth it. Other fan bases you find like Detroit. If Detroit goes to the Super Bowl, wins the super Bowl, it's all worth it, all to that pain. But that's what makes you a fan. That's what's important that you care that much. But you can't bail. And you can, but what are you going to do? Roots for the Texans, but you can't go back. The Cowboys win next year, well maybe not next year, maybe the year after that, then you can't go back. Chase in Utah, Hi, Chase, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 10: Good morning Dan, Dan, Thanks for taking my call. Best and worst of the weekend, pretty obvious. Worse with the Bills. Gosh, Well, I hate hearing those words wide right. I don't ever want to hear that again. Well, back to the weekend. We have some great football. I also want to shout out jefs and destroy. I love teaming the Lions to make it to the championship round. And then the other part was taken a pie of the face, which you guys check the email at sent to video to you. I paid up. Still love your Seaton and Chrissy. I know I give you a hard time, but you're the one I love to hate. So youritty. Thanks guys, have a great week.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 15: We had exclusive footage of that, would you just moments ago?
Speaker 3: That was sent in Also Chase lost a bet pie to the face.
Speaker 15: There will be a looking I think in the near future today showing on what that looks.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll show that on Peacock. Our streaming partner Michael in Rochester. Hi, Mike, it's on your mind.
Speaker 7: Moll Dan Danett's first time long time five ten soft one seventy five, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 19: Best is I got it E sect to me?
Speaker 6: Two.
Speaker 7: Worst of the weekend, I got it a sect to me? And then the Bill's lost. Do you think the Bills should keep McDermott or what do you think they should do to try get over this hump? Because wide right, it's just words we don't want to hear anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they're going to make a change, Thank you, Michael. But let me put it to you this way. What if you are ownership and you're running the Buffalo Bills and Bill Belichick is available, I'd say Bill Belichick stays in the division, so he's prepped for this division for twenty four years. He knows every one of these teams extremely well. And you could hire him and maybe Josh McDaniels comes in your offensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: Would the Bills entertain that? Would Bill belle check entertain that?
Speaker 2: Would that change the Buffalo Bills if you brought in Bill Belichick. Here's another thing with Belichick, greatest coach of all time. The Atlanta Falcons have interviewed him twice, but they're also interviewing Jim Harbaugh twice, and it feels like the job opening is wide open. When you have this opportunity for now, I know you have to check the boxes. There's the Rooney rule. You want to make sure you get as much intel from coaches. But if you can hire Bill Belichick after you've done everything you're supposed to do, required, why hasn't he been hired or the possibility that Bill is going there? Peter King had a report Monday morning quarterback job search is wide open. I don't know what the hold up is. From the Falcon side of this, now, I would always interview as many people as possible, because I want your information, what do you see? What do we need to do? But also if you're bringing in Belichick, you have to ask him, all right, you want total control? Do you want us to get a general manager? Who are you bringing with you? You know, those kind of those kind of questions I would think, or Bill might be interviewing you as well of what you're going to give him. But Peter King says he gets that sense that it's a little bit more wide open. But I don't know other teams that are interested in Bill. It feels like it's the Falcons right now. Now, that doesn't mean if they hire somebody else, Bill wouldn't turn his attention to, let's say the Commanders or maybe a younger team. I don't know if he's interested in the Chargers and vice versa. But feels like Jim Harbaugh is the object of desire and we don't even know if he's coming out. We talked about this, what was that a week ago or two weeks ago? And I ask a reporter is Jim using teams for leverage? And Dan Wetso of Yahoo's Sports goes, no, not at all, And I thought, well, why wouldn't you because somebody may go, man, we're desperate, we want Harball.
Speaker 3: We're going to give you this. Then Jim goes back to Michigan.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio had a report over the weekend that Harball might be using the NFL's leverage for Michigan and his contract. So just some of the coaching moves or what's been going on so far, and I was wondering about that. If I'm Buffalo and I could bring in Bill Belichick, I'd bring him in. He knows the division, he knows you as well as you know you, probably, And would he be an upgrade?
Speaker 3: Yes, any place he would go would be an upgrade.
Speaker 2: The question is are you going to acquiesce to everything that you need with Bill Belichick?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: If that's all true about Jim Harbaugh, then he would quite possibly be the only coach in the history of everything to not use teams as leverage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's what I thought.
Speaker 11: Okay, he's the only guy who's like, no, I'm comfortable with my deal and I'll just negotiate with Michigan directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Uh, that's ridiculous. Yeah, of course you're gonna use it as leverage. But then I was told that, no, he's already gonna get that money, and I'm thinking, Okay, feels like you could still say all the Chargers are going to give me this plus this.
Speaker 11: There's one way to get a little more money.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ton, I.
Speaker 15: Understand there's other exciting candidates out there, but that must be weird for Arthur Blank or any owner to reach out to Bill Belichick say congratulations, admitted to the second round.
Speaker 3: Bill Belichick. It's got to come back a second time.
Speaker 2: So Peter King in his column says, I think the Falcons must be thinking, if we hold Bill Belichick in high regard, why does no other team He's had no other interviews, at least not any that we know of. Maybe teams sniffing around coaches. Don't think hiring a soon to be seventy two year old guy, regardless of his resume, is such a good idea, Peter King break play of the Day is up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Oh my God.
Speaker 3: Of the day, God play.
Speaker 19: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 6: Check this out.
Speaker 9: Mayfield takes them straight to the line with a minute forty Baker leans.
Speaker 11: In, there's the snap.
Speaker 6: Blitz comes may Feel back loads gros pick on Lions, The Lions, The Lions. Derek Bark, Derek Barnes.
Speaker 17: Derek Barnes, Oh Babe, one thirty three to go, Colaia, Look go at the Safford.
Speaker 6: Let's go Derek Barnes with the interception.
Speaker 1: Oh Craby, stand.
Speaker 6: Up, fort Pield. Look at this whoo Look at.
Speaker 3: This x shale.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of the ticket Wayons Radio Network Detroit in the NFC title game for the first time in thirty two years, just the second time in franchise history. That's your Play of the Day, brought to you by Discover. Discover wants everybody to feel special. That's why with your Discover card, you have access to twenty four to seven customer service as well as zero dollar fraud liability, which means you're never held responsible for unauthorized purchases. Learn more at discover dot com. Slash credit card limitations apply. More phone calls coming up. Eight seven seven three DPGUO, as we always do every Monday, Best and worst of the weekend Aarin in Wisconsin, Hi Ern, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hi Dan? First time, long time, six foot three, two hundred and thirty pounds. My best of the weekend, although I live in Wisconsin is twofold. It is the Green Bay Packers losing and my Detroit Lions, even though they did not play particularly well in my opinion, still eking it out than the worst of the weekend was not Tyler Bass missing that field goal, but it was in fact Josh Allen missing Stefan Diggs on that crossing route for a first down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Stefan Diggs is, you know, a top ten receiver. You would think that he would catch it. It still would have been a tough catch, but previous play on the bomb play. But yes, they Josh Allen had a couple of receivers open a couple of times. And we can talk about drops.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: The team we've talked about more than any is Kansas City this year, So we can't say all this team had drops. Kansas City had drops all year long, and here they are going to be in the AMC title game. But I thought Josh Allen had Stefan Diggs across the middle. You know, Chris Jones got in his face or he would have had a touchdown throw. So there were there were moments that, you know, and these games will they'll hinge on one or two calls sometimes, Like I thought, that fake punt and that'll be a race because Buffalo is a fake punt. And I like how Sean McDermott after the game said, well, we were going for the element of surprise. Yeah, that's why it's called a fake punt, where you go, oh, they'll never you know, have a fake punt at their own thirty. But then the Chiefs bumble the ball out of the end zone, Buffalo gets the ball back and then three plays later they're punting again from their thirty yard line. That could have been one of those oh my god, going back and looking at those plays and that could have cost you. But Sean McDermott was trying to make something happen and they couldn't stop.
Speaker 3: Kansas City.
Speaker 16: Yes, Mark Tyler Bass just getting ready to be interviewed for the Patrick Mahomes Last Dance documentary, because this Patrick Mahomes Versus the Bills is basically Jordan versus the Knicks. They were really really good but just could not get over the hump.
Speaker 2: Here is Tyler Bass, the Bills kicker after the missed field goal.
Speaker 7: No, it's similiar, it's completely only I got to do a better job, you know much arge.
Speaker 11: I had to a better job, playing a little bit more less than you ever left to right.
Speaker 6: I've been here long.
Speaker 3: Enough to know that. Help you have to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, Okay, he did miss the field goal. Teams got to get him closer, and they could have gotten him closer. Second and third down you didn't produce. So he's kicking a forty four yard field goal. Having been in these situations, I have so much respect everybody.
Speaker 3: You know, when you're the hero, you want everybody to interview you. You don't want to leave the locker room.
Speaker 2: But when you're considered the goat, it's really difficult to just stand there and take question after question after question. I'll go back to one of the most painful moments in my broadcasting career when Bill Buckner had the ball go through his legs Game six against the Mets, and to Billy Buck's credit, he stood there at his locker and he answered those questions. Mitch Williams gave up the World Series winning home run Joe Carter after the game, Mitch stood there and answered all the questions. So when I see athletes go, oh yeah, he's unavailable after something bad happen, I lose a little bit of respect. It's about winning, it's about losing, and it's about being a professional. And as tough as that must have been, you're standing there and you're taking questions, and this is what happens. You'll have one wave of reporters. They'll ask you questions. There'll be a second wave of reporters they ask you the same questions, and there might be a third wave of reporters because they're interviewing other people, and then they might get around to asking you questions. But having witnessed that in two really dramatic, painful moments, Mitch Williams was the relief pitcher for the Phillies and that cost them the World Series. Bill Buckner and the Red Sox, the ball goes through his legs. They still had a game set, but you're there and you're watching these people answer these questions. So had to be obviously difficult for Tyler to stand there and take those questions. But he did, and I gain a whole lot of respect for him. Uh FRep in Virginia, Hi FRep. What's on your mind?
Speaker 19: Hey, Dan, just coming to you a lot from my cast. I got a psiatic nerve flaring up, but I have a bests and worse than the weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm I've had the psiatic nerve before, and you don't move around if you move around at all, So I feel your pain.
Speaker 19: Oh man, all right, So my best I coached my son on our TENU basketball team. We got our first win in two years. I was really good to see the kids smiling and just having a good day. And then the filed up of my loss the Packers. Man, that game was there for the taking. I know Marv is very pleased. Let's see the turnout, but hey, we were going from to Rogers to love. Show me the love, baby, I'll love it.
Speaker 2: Go Pad, go all right, prep good luck there on the couch. Yeah, you gotta be relieved. I think more than anything Marvin.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 16: And that was the first time in a while that I had real true fandom watching the forty nine ers because I.
Speaker 3: Was Oh I was like, is everything okay, Marvin.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean everything's fine.
Speaker 16: And if I'm a Packers fan, I'm not feeling all that great because that game was theirs. That's one of those It's not like the Texans when you lose thirty one to ten, like, oh good season. No, no, no, we probably should have beat them because they were on fire most of the game.
Speaker 2: I was watching the game of the Packer fan and he said afterwards, he said, I would rather get blown out than loose like that when you know you're the better team that night.
Speaker 3: Maybe not all season long, but that night you.
Speaker 2: Knew you were better and you had a couple of missed opportunities and the pain of that. And then I said, if I would have told you at the beginning of the year that you had the opportunit unity to be playing in the NFC title game, you would have signed up, even if I said you're going to lose in dramatic fashion. The same with the Texans or the Buccaneers. It's the expectation, the ratio of what you expect and what is reality. Hour two on the Way an update on Bill Belichick