Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and new he scrugs.
Speaker 2: Here we go play, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go, man four Amigo, negros are here for you for forty five minutes of conversation. Danny mccraye is here, heck Ma Harrison is here, Barry Church is here in the flesh maybe building in.
Speaker 4: Perfect Yeah, that's how we made.
Speaker 2: How we're doing weekly. That's where yah, I've been here this week.
Speaker 4: You like Heranda shows were talking about fellas. That's why I don't give you no doubt. That's all you know. It's something crazy coming out there or something.
Speaker 2: Many work I wish. I'm glad. I'm glad you maybe that fur.
Speaker 3: I know how dirty you are, just you just saved it off of us, Like tell me he was nice.
Speaker 2: All them they like because I tell the truth.
Speaker 4: That's why they already know yourself the truth.
Speaker 2: Let's can we start, McCarthy, Let's do the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys head coaches having appardected me today and uh so he's out. Dan Quinn ran a press conference, he uh, they're telling us he's gonna coach on Sunday against the Eagles, and like cars coaching cart is gonna coach on Sunday, And then dan Quinn said, you think the irishman's gonna miss this one?
Speaker 2: So meaning Mike.
Speaker 3: McCarthy, irishman from Pittsburgh, he's gonna play. He's gonna be there in pain. I mean, I just hope the man can stand and do whatever you gotta do.
Speaker 2: Man. I think I just we were just out there.
Speaker 4: I think I just told y'all this story back in twenty Back at twenty fifteen, Chicago Bear season.
Speaker 2: Was over with.
Speaker 4: I was waiting to get picked up on the roster. I was in contact with the Cowboys. Hey man, we're gonna still be trying to figure it out, but we're gonna make it happen. And I'm like, okay. So I'm working out and my stomach and my back just start hurting like crazy, and I'm like, man, I don't know what's going on. I'm trying to be cool. I'm taking thumbs and stuff. My wife was like I need to take you to the hospital, right So I finally get to the hospital, fall out before I get in there and they put me in on the bed and they're like, hey man, we gotta take you into surgery right now. Your appendix is about the burst, so we need to heard me get this thing out of there. So I know exactly what Big Mike is going through, and that is some painful stuff. But he's gonna be okay to coach on Sunday because he don't got to like run around and do all that stuff. And Big Mike seemed like a really tough guy, but I can tell you this, it is painful as hell. Your pendans don't even do nothing like what you got it from. It's just there. They're the cause problem. They're the call. Probably had to flush your mouth. I'm telling you right here right got the worst. Can't you feel sorry for I'm healthy, Big Mic the one to see he's gonna be all right.
Speaker 3: So my next question, since you've been there, sir, what was the recovery like for you and just bikes going in today that he's gonna be able to coach on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So what is that recovery? What are they what do they have you doing? Die? And everything? It was what goes into this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I mean it's a quick, quick, little surgery. I was out the next morning. I went that night, and then when you get home, it's really the issue is the surgery is here kind of. I had mine through my my naval area, so it's in your stomach. So what you eat, it's it's tough for it to come out, so it's not necessarily like what you can eat. It's just knowing a you're probably going to be stopped up for a few maybe a week or two at this point, so that is kind of the thing that bothers you the most. But I think, like I said, he's gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: That Smoothie King like that I thought.
Speaker 5: I thought I was Smoothie King to you know what I'm saying right there?
Speaker 2: Will that be all right? Versus eating like I said, you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, I was normal because I didn't believe them, and then my stomach was like this.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, you're instructions.
Speaker 4: I don't care about superheroes when you're playing ball. Thought it for a year, but my back and stomach was hurting for a full year while I was in Chicago, and I just thought it was because football pay.
Speaker 2: And it was like, tell me, okay, I will do that. Take no chance.
Speaker 5: I want to smell them cookies and you'll be like man.
Speaker 4: Next to you smacking on you got me?
Speaker 2: Okay? All right? Hekma. When you heard the news, what was your thoughts?
Speaker 5: We don't have time for this, Mic. We don't have time right now.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't have time for this. You know, I don't care. I don't care about ju Ju opens solid. It's Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Mic. We don't need this, Mike. We just don't.
Speaker 4: And uh, that's tough, man, you know, Like like I heard from Dan Quinn, it's it'll be tough to keep him off the sideline. That's my whole thing is when you talk about the pain portion of it, how what's his goal it's going to be his pain threshold?
Speaker 2: Is he going to be on the sideline? Is he going to be in? You know? Where is he going to be? Did you just pull a tasty cake out of your pocket?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 4: The over there? I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I had a flash you got it there? I had a flash back.
Speaker 3: Doubled up, man, I got to do another podcast down man.
Speaker 4: Man, We'll have time for it, but you know, need Mike to be well for Sunday night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, you know, first of all, you know hopefully has a sexile recovery and all that good stuff. But yeah, when you talk about it, if it was any other maybe coaching staff or team out there, you might be like, I don't know, you know, a full week without the head coach being there, how's that going to affect the team. But when you look at it, you got a former head coach who led his team to the Super Bowl, and Dan Quinn, you know who's who's definitely capable of taking over duties for the week or whatever the case may be. And you got guys on this team who their experience and they have great leadership. When you talk about Dak Prescott offensively, when you talk about a d law on the defensive side of the ball, so to me, you know, it's like a well oiled machine. Now, these guys have been through it. They with the work on Dak Prescott's been in this offense. He's excelling in this offense. So to me, you know, it'll be as long as big mics on that field on Sunday.
Speaker 5: They'll be out on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sunday they Mike with that kool aid man ends up cooking like he needs to be out there. This is a big time game for him and not like I said, I believe that by Sunday he'll be able to be on the sideline.
Speaker 5: Everything goes right, all right.
Speaker 2: So Church, let me hit you with this.
Speaker 3: Having been a former player, is this where the guys in the room handle their business in a different fashion or just more so going I mean, you know, more so going along with you. Everybody knows a big game. Nobody know it's coming to town this week. Coaches inside is sideline here for to day for a little bit.
Speaker 2: What's what? What does the room do?
Speaker 5: So the room?
Speaker 7: That's why you know when I talked about a little bit earlier, those leadership positions in each group, are they going to behot. You got the Dak Prescott over the quarterback room, the offense. He got d Law on one side.
Speaker 2: You got to experienced team. So I don't see this.
Speaker 7: You know this this team as a whole just kind of saying right, and we're going to get leadership where we're going to go with it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: I feel as though these guys in the room will be able to get the young guys going in the right direction, whatever the case may be, and they want it. They understand what this matchup is going to bring it to the table. They understand that this could be, you know, the difference between winning a division and not and having home field or not. So they understand what this is. And you know, I don't expect any laps in these guys. They'll be ready to play when it comes Sunday because they got the leadership in place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: If you look at the team and you look at each level and the leaders that you have on each level, office of line, Tyren Smith, Zach Martin, you go to receivers, you got Brandon cous coming there, Ceee Lamb, same thing across the defense of d Law and Stephan Gilmore like. You got guys everywhere who can make sure that they have these guys ready to go. Dan Quinn al like you got around this team, there's a lot of guys who are going to make sure that these guys are doing what they need to do to be ready for Sunday. Man, this sa'ts your average week this says your average week of football. Bro. If you you you need something to self start in this week by something wrong with you. So this Philly week, you don't need no excuses. Man, you don't no excuse.
Speaker 2: So we're screaming Philly week now. You don't need no.
Speaker 4: Green whatever whatever it is. You know, hey, man, you know who coming and we made fun of.
Speaker 2: Absolutely you do you got shirts made up again? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 5: He don't need want already.
Speaker 2: I'll check see if we got shirts made up this week?
Speaker 3: All right, speaking of Nick Sirianni, let's dive into this coaching matchup.
Speaker 5: Pleasant We're going head coaches hirts.
Speaker 2: That's what we look at. Who got totaling.
Speaker 4: Mike and I'm going if I'm going Big Mike and Syrianni and I'm going now this year, this year, I'm going big Mic.
Speaker 8: This year.
Speaker 4: I'm going big Mic handling all the injuries that he's handled, figuring out the way to adapter offense based off how you started. And then now Dak Prescott, who he's working with a nice calling plays and being able to elevate this office to another level. I'm seeing Big Mike do some stuff that he said that he was in the lab figuring out a couple years ago. Now that he has the opportunity to do it, you're seeing the fruits of that labor that he put in in the lab. And I think what you've seen this team do over the last four to five weeks is he has his handprints all over.
Speaker 5: I'm giving most.
Speaker 4: Of it to Big Mike, so I'm seeing him elevating at this moment. So Sirianni still good coach, went to Super Bowl last year, but right now I'm Dallas Cowboys. So I'm giving this Big mic man. I'm gonna give credit where credit is due. This guy, Nick Sirianni. When he came into the league, I did not like him at all, but he's shown that he's a coach that can make adjustments. I've seen him time and time and gave me down at halftime, go way to half. Whatever he's doing, he's making the adjustments. But the disrespect if you think he's a better coach than Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy has all of the accolades.
Speaker 4: He all the skins on the wall, He's won a Super Bowl at six times in the NFC North, He's one been to four or doing this year though I understand, but I'm but we can't get we can't talk about coaches without giving their accolades, and I'm saying that the coaching job that he Let's just break it down to this year taking over offensive coordinator duties started off slow, but over the last six game like ballin do you look at dak into his play and where he is in the MVP race, It's because Mike has streamlined and he understands the guy that he has. The one thing about leadership is understanding personnel. How do I bring out the best that I have and the guys that I have? And I see Mike being able to do that. On the flip side with Sirianni, they have an offense that's Taylor made for Jalen Hurst. Jalen Hurst is successful and it's because of the system that they.
Speaker 7: Have for I'm a go I'm gonna go Sirianni on this one. I'm gonna go Sirianni. If we're talking about this year, I believe when you look at it, one they have with the best record in the National Football League. Right they got the best record in the National Football League by one game. But also you look at it the head to head, you know who won had to head.
Speaker 2: I understand right now.
Speaker 7: The Dallas Cowboys, they're flying on all cylinders. You look at these past five games, Dak Prescott, MVP. I get all that, But when you also look at it head to head, they lost to the Eagles, to Syrianni. And when you look at who they've beaten, because you got to bring that into the category as well, they've beaten one.
Speaker 2: Team with a winning record. We're talking about Seattle.
Speaker 7: You look at Philadelphia, they ran the Gauntlet, they beat Kansas City. You know, they beat Miami, they beat Buffalo. I forget though, they beat Dallas. So like when you look at who they've played against, the competition, what their record is overall, and the head to head. If we're going by this year, I gotta say Syrianne has been better. Now, if we go throughout the ladder of the season, Dallas gets this win against Philly and then they go right ale off beating Miami, beating Detroit, beating those teams. Then at the end of the season we can have this discussion again. But right now, I mean, if we're just going about right now, body of work you gotta.
Speaker 2: Lean towards Sirianni on this one. I'm when you church on that.
Speaker 3: And I also want to make sure that I give this part to Sirianni. In terms of God lost two coordinators. I thought they were gonna fall off.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: I thought they were gonna fall I got better record they did last year this time. So and Jalen Hurts is not he right now? And we saw last week get exposed. I think two weeks ago he was there. They keep finding ways when I'm like and I don't like that dude like that man went finds a player to find a way to go on the sideline. But I don't like him. And I'll say this in Mike's and Mike's for Mike, I don't think we could talk about enough of how good he has been as a coordinator and to.
Speaker 2: Do both jobs.
Speaker 3: Tony, you know, Nixie around does not call plays. Mike does call play. So to be able to call plays make the decisions as that's true, that's true. That is a lot to handle there. But I got to give it to Sirianni for for this year right now. But I tell you what, let my man come off the hospital bed and win game on Sunday, Mike.
Speaker 2: You know this is Mike. I mean, it's like this is this is too good. This is too good.
Speaker 4: It's like a boxing gatch right now, You're not gonna say nothing to do. That's okay, that's all right. That's like I'm sticking with Big Mike.
Speaker 3: And you know, you know, you know I feel about Big Night, but then got to win this one got to he got and I need to see the penalties cut down. I need to see the penalties cut down, man, I need to.
Speaker 2: I need you. So maybe the team is going, you know, rally around.
Speaker 3: And when one for win one for for mister Pittsburgh Big Mic and the Irishman win one for the Irishman.
Speaker 4: The ins big Big, Big Mic is doinge the hell of a yall. And I can't understand y'all's argument. I'm just you know, I'm a big MIC's side right now. Man, I'm a big Mic side. You lose Trayvon Diggs, Travishman being in and out the lineup, you're trying to figure out which the line you lose. L v Overshun is out a guy who you thought and you are able to because defensive coordinators have been able to find the run playing all that, but it all still falls on big Mic of him coaching these guys and having them in the right position, and he's been able to adjust this entire season offense. Don't look right. We figured out were missing this officeive Lineman figured out.
Speaker 3: So let me ask this question. You take a break when come back. What has is Mike mcca arthy an elite coach? Let's get into that next with Barry Church. Heck Maherrison. That's Danny mccraig, mister survivor himself. I'm new he struggs players last. Right here on Dallas Cowboys That Count Radio.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: That's get Jack Black dot com.
Speaker 9: Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip Hi.
Speaker 4: I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 5: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 4: That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decking and flavors. Dig into a cool I Sae or Fatalia bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie Bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting.
Speaker 11: What it truly means to be a boss.
Speaker 10: Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 6: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in the heart, either no eye in Blue Star or a lone star for that matter, And there's no eye in how about them Cowboys? Smeerenough knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together, good drinks and good folks. Home and away. We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys. Fans, samear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 2: Back to the players lounge.
Speaker 4: Head to AT and T Stadium on Saturday, deceven of the night to experience Rally Days presented by seat Geeks. Take a tour of AT and T Stadium, get autographs from Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders and alumni, play games, head outside to Miller Lighthouse and even play on the field, and don't forget to get your photo with Santa and missus Claus. Visit att Stadium dot com slash Rally Days for more tickets and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Heck Maherson, you are in the players Lounge on Dallas Cabrie dot Com Radio. Appreciate Danny McCray, Heck Maherrison, Barry church.
Speaker 2: All joining me on New we Scruggs.
Speaker 3: Okay, going back into the coaching matchup right now, what is our take on Mike mc carty's head coach.
Speaker 2: In this league? Is he elited? Now?
Speaker 3: So many times people ask about Dak Prescele, is you an elite quarterback? People love to do that.
Speaker 2: It's Mike McCarthy an elite head coach. Damn.
Speaker 4: And I need a list of the elite guys. Like, what's the qualification for being elite? Do we consider Mike Tomlin an elite?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, Well, I mean how many Super Bowls he got?
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I'm gonna give michaelmcarthy the not on being an elite coach for coming in here and twelve games back to back, because when he first got here, I'm sitting there looking at this Noland defense and how the team that responded with the COVID year and all that stuff, and I'm like, I don't know about this guy. I don't know, but I do remember big mic back in Green Bay, having multiple years and he was consistent with being able to get his team and where they needed to be.
Speaker 5: He has a super Bowl win. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, since he's been here, outside of that first year, we've been in contention and everybody's been saying that we are one of those competitive teams. We've been in the playoffs, just haven't been able to make it over that hump. But when you're looking at coaches around the league, I think it is hard to get a guy in your building who has you in position to go into the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Each year with a fighting chance. So I'm leaning more toward elite.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean everything that you just said, Man, it's spot on, especially when you say about the adjustments that he had to make after his first year with a historically bad defense and then bringing in Dan Quinn. That's a man not having any ego and basically saying, look, I gotta make some changes. He makes those changes two back to back twelve and five seasons, and this is going to be a third straight winning season here in Dallas. I think the one thing that they are going to tie in to Mike right now is playoff wins.
Speaker 2: And losses.
Speaker 4: They want to see him win playoff games, get to an NFC championships.
Speaker 2: He's going to be judged by that.
Speaker 4: The regular season, he's already shown you he can master that, he can put the game plan together, the personnel together to win in the regular season. What is he going to do in the playoffs And that's what he's going to be judged by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with you, guys. I'm saying he's elite.
Speaker 2: You know, for all the reasons you guys.
Speaker 7: Named the twelve win back to backs, about to be the third possibly and you know, getting the playoffs and like you said, taking over offensively, you know, and doing what he's doing out there.
Speaker 2: So I gotta say, you.
Speaker 5: Know, he's elite.
Speaker 7: He's a super Bowl winning you know, coordinator, and he's won in multiple spots.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: It's not just like you know, he dominated in the Packers and he came here and was just like a roller coaster ride. Now it's always been a you know, an uphill climb and he's been ascending that climb. So to me, I gotta says elite. If we're gonna consider Tomlin and you know.
Speaker 2: Maybe Peyton.
Speaker 7: Some people say Peyton's an elite coach. I gotta throw Tomlin in the mix because he's bringing his system with it. It's not like, you know, he's coming over here just to be the overwatch or whatever for the rest of the offensive coordinator and a defense coordinator to do their thing.
Speaker 5: He's coming in here.
Speaker 7: He's bringing his system in here, and we see now that that system has has worked. I mean, I guess he's done with you know, elite quarterbacks. He's at Brett fav he's at Aaron Rodgers, he's gotten now Dak Prescott. But to me, you know, he's helping these guys get to where the position they are right now. So I gotta say the lead.
Speaker 4: I want to bring the note up too of last year with Cooper Rush. When you go through that and you're like, okay, I like the season might be over with right everybody's looking at this team and saying, well, you, Dak Prescott's out.
Speaker 5: We saw what happened when he when it's late, well we already saw this.
Speaker 4: And they go out and find a way to win those games to still get twelve to twelve wins on the season. Yeah, that's that's an elite coaching it just doesn't happen around the league. You see a lot of teams now struggling with backup quarterbacks getting in the game, and you like, why are we even fighting?
Speaker 3: So I had this conversation with somebody over the week, and who's bashing McCarthy, And I just said.
Speaker 2: He's an elite coach.
Speaker 3: He's an elite coach, And just look at the other coaches in this league. I said, you don't realize how good he is, you know, obviously you just look at just who's got wins right now currently coaching Belichick number one right, three hundred wins. We all know Bills going to Hall of Fame, and he's got the record for most Super bowls Andy Reid two hundred and fifty five wins. He's number two, going to the Hall of Fame, got two championships. Mike Tomlin is number three currently coaching right now, by the way, currently coaching one hundred seventy wins won Super Bowl. Pete Carroll one hundred and sixty seven wins. Who the Pete Carroll lose to last week, Mike McCarthy. And then after Pete Carroll is Mike McCarthy one hundred and sixty four wins. He's just three behind Pete Carroll. Both of them have one Super Bowl. Then behind McCarthy is Sean Payton with one hundred and fifty eight wins, has got a Super Bowl. John Harbor one hundred fifty six wins, He's got a Super Bowl as well. This man's name is up here with and right now, if you ask me, on this list, bella Chick is in the Hall of Fame my opinion, Andy Reeve's going to the Hall of Fame. In my opinion, Pete Carroll and Mike Tomlin, in my opinion, the Hall of Fame coaches.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy is right here with these guys. He is right here.
Speaker 3: And as much as people want to say, well he had Brett Faarr, he had Aaron Rodgers. Anybody remember Harro Rodgers first year, look a whole lot like Jordan Love. It was like, I don't know about this guy. And Aaron Rodgers is going to the Hall of Fame, and they won a Super Bowl over at Jerry World together. Mike McCarthy is an elite head coach, and for some reason a lot of people don't want to give that to him. And what he's done in Dallas. They're sitting at nine wins. When we all say they go win ten, we all go say, okay, when's the last time we seen three ten win seasons round this joint.
Speaker 2: There's been a minute two back to back twelve win seasons.
Speaker 3: We haven't seen us since Verry Switzerland's coaching when he had all that all of Jimmy's town.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen that around here. And for fans to so flippidly act like this man can't coach. I don't like decisions into this and do that. I'm like, did they win?
Speaker 3: The damn came against Seattle and it had one? Lady, I didn't like the margin. I said, oh you think this college football? Do you at the committee?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? I'm sorry, they're supposed to be Seattle.
Speaker 3: I with the nine and a half the Vegas they won the game, right, I'm like, I don't know what you guys are expecting here.
Speaker 2: And then I asked her, said, look at Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: You know they barely be Washington, right, you know didn't beat New England comfortably. I said, so these teams, this guy does all this. You ain't questioning here, but you want to run Mike McCarthy up and down the I'm like, I don't get it, guys, I really don't as good as Andy Reid is.
Speaker 2: Anybody seen that offense in the second half last three games ain't been no offense.
Speaker 4: But I've said it time and time again. It's an image problem with Mike and they he continued to to figure out ways how to disrespect. It's just like I've always said it, man, people that are easily disrespected, I have to ask myself, like why why why are you disrespecting this person that's shown you time and time again that they can do the job, They can get it done, they won championships, but yet you always disregard them anytime you start talking about coaches. Man two years ago was putting Sean Payton in his seat while he was out there coaching, Like the announcers are talking about Sean Payton, showing this man, why lens him on the sideline talking about another coach in the game.
Speaker 3: The owner did that, and we had a press conference in training camp asking about it. So you know, exactly help us here coach out on that.
Speaker 2: Let me doubting here and ain't gonna talk about it. I ain't putting no fire on him. I didn't like that I heard. I said, Oh, that's that's that's the thing, to be your own people. People, I mean, my goodness, gratious Jerry.
Speaker 4: Mike is doing. Mike is doing a phenophenomenal job. He's a phenomenal job. He will be judged by the playoffs, as y'all say, like okay, twelve where the people are tired of the twelve win seasons. They want to see that you are competitive in the playoff. That does not take away from how good Mike McCarthy has been coaching. We as a podcast want to see, Hey, when you come up against Philly in the playoffs or San Francis going to playoffs, that is what we want to see, and we want to see you be able to be successful against those teams.
Speaker 3: He's so so bad, he's he's paying for the sins of past coaches.
Speaker 2: This is really the truth.
Speaker 4: And how do we get here about winning the playoffs? You're talking about winning and the playoffs what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Find somebody from from Chan Gaily, Okay Campbell, Uncle Wade jg. All of it comes into where you're sitting up here with fans, are frustrated people are mad. So it's not just Jason, it's the whole thing of what's happened before. And while Jerry gets it, the head coach is the one who has to pay.
Speaker 2: For it every time. Yeah, I believe, so, I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Every So every new coach that coming here in the previous guy doesn't win a super Bowl to get you to that position, then it's so if Mike MacArthur don't do it to heal, but the next guy be paying for the sins of a list of people that then includes Big.
Speaker 3: Mic because we've never seen a drought like this in Cowboy history, and Gaboy fans mad. They want somebody to blame and we and you know, Jerry's not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: So who's that next person who's gonna catch it? It's gonna be the head coach always.
Speaker 3: But if things stay the same right now, if Philadelphia wins this division again and the Cowboys are a wildcard, the Cowboys could conceivably have to go down the exact same road they did last year, a wildcard team NFC South game on the road, and then you could be right there, potentially having to face San Francisco or Philadelphia and.
Speaker 2: In the divisional round.
Speaker 3: And if you don't win that, then people go say, oh, fire, And I'd say simply and do what where are you gonna go? Because Lord knows, we see more folks go down the firing road and not have answers. It is a hard thing to do to say we're getting rid of this guy.
Speaker 2: Look at Atlanta and we don't. Dan Quinn, we.
Speaker 3: Don't, okay, not even looking sense, been a rough road, Lovey Smith in Chicago, we don't what you love?
Speaker 2: You won ten games?
Speaker 3: Fire, We'll look at him that. They's talking about another coaching change. Old boy up there in Detroit, Bob Quinn, A nine and seven is not what we expect with the Detroit line. Jim cardwell, you know, took him, took him till Dan till Dan Dan Campbell, you got to uproot your franchise and go over the river through the woods. So for cowboy fans one to say, you know what Mike McCarthy doesn't. If he don't get an sc Cherviys Shop game, he's gone, where do you go there?
Speaker 4: Well, Jerry's done a good job of getting guys that can at some point get your twelve wins thirteen wins and get you to the playoffs. He's found no way. And I think that is the most frustrating part about it is people start to have that belief because you watch the team during the season and you say, oh, yeah, yeah, this the one, this the one, and then you get to that same brick wall last two years, the same exact team, and then you're not able to pull it off. And I think that is that's probably the most frustrating part about watching it. It's like, hey man, we know the teams that we need to beat. And that's the frustrating part about this season of like, okay, well San Francisco two years in a row. You go into the season, you say, okay, yeah, we get to do it in the regular season this time, and we get to show them that we that we belong. And then you don't go out there and do what you're supposed to do. And oh, by the way, what you just spoke about. Hey man, you can look back at that era his only game right when you're looking at winning the division and all this stuff and the best record, and you say, man, we.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting because I heard this on Talking Cowboys. It was a great Nick Nick Harris had a great trivia question. Can he named the five starting offensive.
Speaker 2: Line in that cowboy was on the game? The Cowboys started, Yeah, like a long time ago. Martin Steele, theodist didn't start. Oh Man, Martin didn't play either.
Speaker 7: Mark it was like number seventy one.
Speaker 2: Where did he start?
Speaker 5: Left tackle?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Was guard?
Speaker 2: I think? Yeah? But who was the center? Was it Brett Hoffman? I was t J Bass? You start right?
Speaker 3: Your point the point being is we go back to McCarthy in terms of coaching, and look that that was.
Speaker 2: That was a winner.
Speaker 3: That was a game we thought they'd win, but it was also a game where they didn't have their offensive line, and it clearly showed Jonathan Gannon, who came from Philadelphia, had exactly all the right answers against the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: They didn't get it done. Too many mistakes in the game.
Speaker 5: Defense had had a rough go with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not good.
Speaker 3: Josh Jobs out here cutting them up like he did against Tennessee. Wasn't a good game. But that was not That was not the Cowboys that we've seen here recently, and that was here it is you guys are still learning this new offense. You got three three new offensive line starters out there. I mean, this is a recipe of being able to have a bad upset game like that was there.
Speaker 4: Nobody's gonna give us excuse for that. We got talking about why you lost. We said they win that game. When you look at the end of the c if you lose, but like that is the opposite. I don't care no matter why off playing well. I gave defense to go out there and win the game. Look at Pittsburgh. Okay, what you're running out there on offense, Okay, your offensive trails. Our defense has to figure out the way in that at that in that game, especially with the Josh Dos playing a quarterback, you gotta figure out a way to go out there and win that game. No offensive line is start. You got to figure out a way not to allow two hundred yards of rushing like you got to figure out a way to do that.
Speaker 3: All right, second break here, Should the Eagles sit down? H Jalen hurt Yes. NFL network says says, yes, yeah, they right.
Speaker 2: What do you want I on open Day one to right now? I can't wait till you come back from break. I can't wait to do that.
Speaker 7: I take everything I said it back about it a couple.
Speaker 3: We gotta got a good good final segment coming up right here, all the players and uh. Brought to you by Tostitos on Dallas Cowboys dot Company.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more.
Speaker 11: The bold, unique apparel of the.
Speaker 10: Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting.
Speaker 11: What it truly means to be a boss.
Speaker 10: Get yours today at NFL shot dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com, and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 4: I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothe bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iie or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate Hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Jack Black and right.
Speaker 9: Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapper the press down.
Speaker 5: Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escapes left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: Back to the players lounge.
Speaker 4: Sean Polite is your twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, and now he needs your help. Vote for Sean to be given the ultimate title of NFL Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan by casting your vote at NFL dot com slash Fan of the Year?
Speaker 2: Is he relayed? Old Luca Polite? I have no old Soccer Polite. Where was he at? Who was back in that? Yeah, old soccer man, the name soccer Malite. There you go. Heck Maharrison, appreciate three. You've got barrittur that's a goal. And what was his number? Thirty nine nine? Janny mccrane in the house soccer all right?
Speaker 3: DoD David Carr, former number one overall pick of the Houston Texans who won the first ever Houston Texans inaugural game against the Dallas Capital.
Speaker 2: Houston historian Yes come.
Speaker 3: Out on NFL Network and said that the Eagles need to go ahead and sit Jalen Hurts down, said, Jalen Hurts can't read defenses, that they be starting Marcus Mariota over over Hurts despite Jalen being what the twenty seventy three Yeah, but he says, man, get him healthying that that quote, Mariota would be better and more productive right now for the Eagles and Jalen Hurts in quote.
Speaker 2: That's a bad take. That's a that's a bad take.
Speaker 4: And and you know, if if he's making that, if he's making that assumption or saying that because he thinks Jalen Hurst is hurting, or he has some inside information and saying like he's not making these throws, he can't make this throw because he has showed the problem or his knee is on the cusple blowing up on him. Then I understand how you make that. But to say Jalen can't read defenses as dumb, Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 7: That's almost as bad as my you know, most improved. That's you're gonna put Maryota in there.
Speaker 5: Over Hurt that's a that's a horrible take.
Speaker 2: What's Marioda gonna give you out there? Man? What he gave me I got people fired.
Speaker 5: It's a rat man.
Speaker 2: I don't want to that's that's a bad.
Speaker 4: People say whatever bit so we can read it and then you know, they realize how dumb it sound.
Speaker 2: End up in the game.
Speaker 3: Last thirty starts. Jalen Hurts is twenty four and six Last thirty starts for Marcus Mariota.
Speaker 2: He's thirteen and seventeen. Dude, I just say now didn't make any sense. I mean, I understand it's a lot of people hate on Jalen Hurts exactly. Hear it all the time. We hear it all the time.
Speaker 4: He said, you know what, because he knew I was about to be People say, they said, they said.
Speaker 2: The car watching the players plays write dock down.
Speaker 4: Heckma said what he ready?
Speaker 3: The thing about everything David Are said, he really could have just put instead of saying Jayalen hrs. He could have put his brother down.
Speaker 2: There because can't look to me.
Speaker 3: You got you got Michael Thomas getting out on Twitter talking about it.
Speaker 2: You know, he has issues. He's not good, He's not he's not healthy. Mister slant, mister slan out there, you can't throw the ball down the field. I mean his brothers not good Saints.
Speaker 3: When the Saints fans booing in that, that's a kind fan base, you know.
Speaker 4: They on and they got weapons, they have they got they have weapons on all these there's no reason for you not to be able to make some something happen.
Speaker 2: Jameis Winston gonna go out there, probably win more games. To Derek Car, he'll throw it down the field.
Speaker 5: They got to what's old and Winston magic is all thirty for thirty.
Speaker 2: But dog.
Speaker 4: Car part of the third best quarterback on the on their team. He is taste some presents another channel. That's that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 5: What to tas him.
Speaker 2: He'll do?
Speaker 4: Who is he married to to keep getting these opportunities like this, because I mean, they continue to go to this guy that's not providing any production for him. And I mean cars should have never ended up in New Orleans anyway. But man to just I mean that's that sinkers is sinking fast does provide Payton got him paid because he was he was using them the right way.
Speaker 2: I understand. Twelve push operator.
Speaker 3: Point a week each week, score touchdown last week, man taste some more than car Car out there missing folks left and right on throw the ball down the field.
Speaker 2: Michael Thomas can't get a kill him fist.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I said, David should have been talking about his brother instead of sitting up here talking about Jalen Hurts. And and I go back to last year. We saw Patrick Mahomes was hurt, especially in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Guy wasn't right. This is what guys do. Guys playing this league. They're not a healthy not one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: So the center appearing, Hey Jayalen, you guys are playing your number one seed trying to get back to the.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl set down from Marcus Mario. That makes no sense. That's what I'm like.
Speaker 3: You're not even bringing in a quality guy. You got a dude who can't beat that Desmond d.
Speaker 2: Did you play hurt last year? Jalen Hurts? We played her last year, everybody.
Speaker 7: Because Minshew came in versus the Cowboys. I think the second game yea, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I mean I think I think the number one thing should be the showdown between these two great quarterbacks. But a guy like David car should be talking about that now, the fact that this man can't read that, and that's you.
Speaker 5: He mad that Stroud playing good over there.
Speaker 4: You remember his dayton I was there, the reason why I went to Texas. But in fairness, when he was in Houston, he was getting his head, he was getting up, so he might not be alright, and then they got rid of him, and then well I forgot who the quarterback was to championship against the Patriots as soon as he's been mad ever since he was.
Speaker 5: Why couldn't why couldn't it be like that.
Speaker 2: When I was?
Speaker 3: So you have Dak Prescott right now, corn in Vegas, co leader for the MVP Award with brock perty and then you got Jalen Hurts, who's in that top three right there. So yes, we are on NBC Sunday that football going to be treated to two guys who are right up there for the m v P who need to close the show. Well in December, I think all three of those quarterbacks, I think the quarterback who ends up having the better December between Purdy, Hurts and Prescott will most likely be the m v P. Here, So great opportunity for both of these guys to go ahead and pull ahead in the race, and you've got all the eyeballs in the world. This game is going to set a record, another NBC record, probably be the most watched game this year. If not, it's gonna be a top three because people gonna be out there white shit.
Speaker 4: Ge no, no, no, no. I'm saying this is crazy. Like the Cowboys got all these brown time football get might have double next year. They're gonna be fighting for extra y'all flex the Patriots. We want to flex the Cowboys back. They're gonna try to find a way to rewrite whatever so they can make sure when you're breaking all these records, somebody sitting there saying, man, look, I don't want nobody.
Speaker 2: Else on my on the team making too much in his mind.
Speaker 4: I want somebody else, Jerry, y'all figure out a way to bring body these contracts, because I want the Cowboys on there every time.
Speaker 3: The only flex available is going to be the final game. Looks like, man, because the Yeah, because CBS protected the Bills game, the Miami game is a protected game. And I don't know about Detroit, but I'm imagining they probably go ahead protect that one as well, just because that's what the you know, so Fox and CBS makes me because you get to protect the game and Lord knows, man, they know where, they know where to go, even when the Cowboys, even the Cowboy play the bum teams. I mean, you like the Patriots, how's that game of the week? They want it because they know go get numbers ahead.
Speaker 4: This is like, I'm just going back to Dak and the m v P and I don't I don't care if he gets in. One of the things I know Dak knows that he has to do is get to the NFC championship period, not the end. Obviously an MVP would bode well for him and ringing up and getting his money. But at the same time he's playing at that level. If he hasn't, he has the greatest opportunity to take that step and be the front runner of the MVP race. With the Eagles, the Bills, the Dolphins, and the Lions coming up the next four games, you pull those those games out, how do you how do you argue with his numbers up until this point and also solving the riddle of the interception.
Speaker 3: I think you should care because if they have any shot at you know, winning the East he's got to be that dude for the rest of this month.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 3: And if we're honest, you see, guys, have everybody in there ever you looked at anybody's you know, statist to go car you got one career year. This may be that career year, and the career year to go ahead and get that MVP may not present itself again. I think this is, man, and it's just my thought, this is your best opportunity, probably your best opportunity of your career. Go get it, Go get this thing because these magical, because you need some magic to go in there to win these things here and this may be your best shot, man.
Speaker 2: And this is the best.
Speaker 7: Like you said, this is the best year to do it, because when you look at it, there's not a guy that's out there that's just having this unbelievable statistical year.
Speaker 2: Like you look in the past.
Speaker 7: You know Mahomes throwing fifty touchdowns, you know Tom Brady throwing fifty Paight Manning, those.
Speaker 2: Guys are going off the rack and Tyreek Hills having one of those years.
Speaker 7: But we all understand that if he's as a quarterback, it's a quarterback of quarterback. We all understand that he hopefully he gets opposite Player of the Year or something, because he's going nuts right now. But when you look at it, this is the best opportunity for him to get it because he can have, you know, thirty five touchdowns out there.
Speaker 2: Keep the picks low, and I might win it this year, which is out.
Speaker 3: So Peter King, I don't know if you read did you just comment all this week, but he came. He talked about the m v P race, and heck he showed where basically you have to be the one or two seed to win the award. When they've kind of looked back at that's that, that's what it takes. That's who they're giving it to.
Speaker 5: The I care, I care.
Speaker 2: I'm back in the car, Like if if the Eagles got the number one seed, you think that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they probably give it the two, one or two, so you probably give it to San.
Speaker 3: It's it's Matt Ryan won it the two seed and the Cowboys with one seed.
Speaker 5: I don't bring that one. I know m v P for that would go a long way, all right.
Speaker 4: That's because you know, Lamar, they start getting that leeway right when you get into the next season. A five season down the road, you'd be like, yeah, but he was the league MVP, all right.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 4: Needs some of that and and I want to see him with a Walter play Man of the Year last year, followed up with the League m v P this year, Like that's that's that's a big time stuff for a player.
Speaker 2: So hopefully, hopefully it pans out for to have that conversation one day in Canton, Ohio.
Speaker 3: As a quarterback, you need that that I mean, it's it's rare.
Speaker 2: Troutman never won an MVP.
Speaker 3: The offense was never designed for him to mostly ever threw in terms of touchdown passes and the seasons twenty three he got in because he was the winningest quarterback of the nineties and he had three Super Bowls titles. But otherwise you're looking at trying to win one of these things to get yourself in the conversation for the room, and it's either MVPs or you need super Bowl rings?
Speaker 4: Which one do you think Troy would trade? He damn sure he would trade a super Bowl for MVP. And that's what Dak. Dak needs an MVP to go with those numbers, to go with the contract.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, this is what this.
Speaker 4: We were just talking about Mike McCarthy and him and his record and what he's meant for Dallas, and it's all come down to the playoffs. What he does in the playoffs. They string a playoff run together to get them to the super Bowl and win the Lombardy.
Speaker 2: Man, why not be you know we could do both.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, Matt had an m v P year and took Atlanta to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Man, I thought you.
Speaker 3: Then Brian Schottenheimer, not Brian Shoheimer. Kyle Shanahan called him right out the game, called him.
Speaker 2: Right out that game.
Speaker 4: Surprising, still surprising that he's the coach that he is right now, surprising that he coached in that game.
Speaker 2: He was coaching. It was that guy.
Speaker 3: Surprised when the head coaches in San Francisco did the same thing again ten point yeah, yeah, yeah, because he he couldn't figure out that. You know, it wasn't time to be aggressive, was time to use the clock. But you want to ask Jimmy g to go win.
Speaker 2: Your Super Bowl instead of your run game.
Speaker 5: That's on three eleven passes complete.
Speaker 2: Still like.
Speaker 3: Double would have hit that post, that would have hit that double, would have been what you would have gotten to double. You would have got it to you a drop, right, So that was you over there, Joe. Oh yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, great show.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Barry Church here, thank you, Danny Craig, Chris Bean, thank you, Jazz, Will, Josh, everybody part the show.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy, get well, We'll see you Sunday.
Speaker 3: Uh. We will talk to you tomorrow right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.