Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to with Terry Lane.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I love you guys so much, so believable.
Speaker 3: It's happening.
Speaker 1: It's finally we've been talking about this, we've been talking about doing this rewatch podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, desperately devoted.
Speaker 1: I love that desperately devoted.
Speaker 3: We don't know that careful.
Speaker 1: I think if you're saying like five five notes, you could get away with it. I don't know what the actual thing is, but well, I can just say right off the bat, I'm totally desperately devoted to both of you, and I hope to be too. Desperate Housewives fans and anybody else that wants to join us, because I think we're going to be really talking about some great stuff that like using Desperate Housewives as a springboard to talk about women's.
Speaker 3: Issues and people's issues.
Speaker 1: And modern issues and and all of it.
Speaker 3: Are you guys excited?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. This is, honest a dream.
Speaker 5: It's been thirteen years since the finale, yeah, which is crazy personally, that's crazy because I was thirteen when we shot the pilot.
Speaker 2: And I was seven when you started the pilot. Yeah, and that was years ago. Oh my yeah, that was twenty one.
Speaker 3: It's just amazing.
Speaker 1: I don't know where time goes, and just sitting here so purposefully. I have not watched anything me neither for a really long time. And then once I found out that we were going to do this together, I really didn't. I was like, well, now I'm really not watching because I want every episode of our podcast to be fresh with new eyes, and yours are going to be virginized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, virginize over here, look out, look out.
Speaker 1: So if you have not ever watched Desperate Housewives, I think now is the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're not. I'm on your team of the not having ever watched Desperate Housewives team. Yeah, I mean I've watched the pilot and I've watched.
Speaker 5: When did you watch the pilot? Like, I mean not when it was you were too little?
Speaker 1: So no, I was too to imagine what kind of mother I would have benefit I'd let her watch the show. Yeah, I would have been fired from motherhood, true, yeah, true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean honestly, I think, asides from trailers and things, I watched the pilot during COVID when a lot of my friends, all my friends who I went to college with, because by the time I went to college, you know, Despert Housewives was not had not been on the air for a minute, and all of my friends in twenty twenty started texting me. We were all in our respective pods across the country, and they started texting me being like, wait, is your mom the one who's Susan on Despert Housewives? And everyone had started watching it. I think it had it come out on.
Speaker 1: Hulu, maybe Netflix, maybe it was the time, And.
Speaker 2: So I said, okay, let me get in on all this Despert Housewives stuff.
Speaker 1: In case you do want to. I think now it's it's so many places on Hulu. I think it's on Prime Oh really yeah, and I think it's on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: It is like somebody was just saying.
Speaker 1: Before before we started this, that Westerriot Lane was like the place to be. It was the it was you know, everybody wanted to take the tram ride and all of that.
Speaker 3: And then I heard a story not that long ago.
Speaker 1: A comedian friend of mine was telling me that back in the day, she was a guide on the on the tram ride and one time she was a guide on with Syria Lane and she looked over and some guy was pleasuring himself on the tram as he drove by.
Speaker 3: I loved he really loved it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know those houses don't even have the bedrooms in them.
Speaker 3: No, and he didn't need a bedroom. He was using the tram. Can you imagine. Oh my gosh. So it comes up.
Speaker 1: It comes up all the time, I find. I was in Corsica last summer, which, by the way, if you've never been to Corsca, everybody go to bride and for all our French fans, which I know we have a lot of, uh, that is one of my.
Speaker 3: Favorite places in the world.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I was, well, you know, when you get on vacation, and if you're in an airbnb, you go to the first thing you do is go to the grocery store and buy all your stuff. So I was at the grocery store and I was in the checkout line, and this young girl, probably younger than you, probably like what the friends you were talking about, you know, twenty three, just literally paralyzed when she looked up and saw me and and said that she was just watching the show for the first time.
Speaker 3: And so it does keep coming up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people are rediscovering it for sure, and that's so cool.
Speaker 2: I think that's the amazing thing about and why I'm so excited to watch it now. Like, as a writer and a filmmaker, I think there's something about intersecting multi generational narratives of women that is just It's universal, and it was back in the early two thousands. And honestly, I mean when you look at fashion now, I feel like the early two thousands are coming back. Were watching is coming back? I know Lowra's jeans.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, us all we're well timed.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's that feels like a good jumping off point because people, well people think they know me, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to what I get to reveal about myself and what.
Speaker 2: You guys actually are.
Speaker 3: Okay, who do you think I actually am?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, Well you are many things. You are certainly a woman of multitudes. I think that I'm excited for people to learn about, Well, how funny you are.
Speaker 4: I think you're incredibly.
Speaker 5: Funny and entertaining and intelligent, and I just think you have a really good outlook on the female experience, and I think that that ties into the.
Speaker 4: Show so well.
Speaker 5: I've always looked up to you as a role model as a woman. I felt so fortunate being cast on a show as a thirteen year old girl. To be on a show with a bunch of strong women leading it at that time was so incredible and unique. But the fact that I got.
Speaker 4: To be yours, that I got to be your daughter.
Speaker 5: Has meant the world to me. And we have remained close for so long. I've known you for over half of my life. That is, and Everson grow up and yeah, I'm just I think, Yeah, I think you're just incredible, and I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: To do this. Thank you, babe.
Speaker 1: There's going to be a lot of love on this show, a lot of that's really nice. That's just a really nice thing. I mean, I think that's another thing, like people are looking. I think there's something so comforting about nostalgia. Yeah, just in general and and and feeling getting to feel comforted and entertained and inspired. I mean, that's what I hope to bring people. So I was saying, people feel like they know me, hopefully they'll get to learn a new side of me, but not too many people know you, So I would like.
Speaker 2: I thought I was going to get to say. But you know, you can put that.
Speaker 3: In your answer if you want.
Speaker 1: But I was going to ask you, you know, just like, who do you want to tell us about?
Speaker 3: Because of course I know who you are.
Speaker 1: But like and Andrew, you guys have stayed in touchment tell tell people who you are, and you know what you've been doing. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna say that Emerson is a very impressive person.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a lot of going on.
Speaker 2: I don't even have to talk.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 1: Of love and a lot of motherly pride for both people happening on this.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, go.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, Hi, I'm Emerson. I am Terry's real life daughter for those of you who don't know that. And Andrea is like my I mean, you're real life sister, even though maybe not actually technically. Yeah. And I also, I mean, while you were growing up on Mysteria Lane, I feel like I grew up on Mysteria Lane too, but just behind the camera sitting in the camera cart. Paul the DP used to keep remember talk about retro those vintage sour Altoid candies. The mango went They're coming back and now they're retro.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was the thing.
Speaker 1: And really, I mean the camera department, the camera crew, I mean those guys.
Speaker 3: We we have stories to tell you guys.
Speaker 1: We we went camping with with the camera crew, and those were my we went camping together.
Speaker 4: We were lucky that we had the same crew for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just like family. Yeah, they really were.
Speaker 1: But so Paul specifically would have these sour altoid candies and a tin on the camera box that that would be like and.
Speaker 2: I would sit there and I would eat them and watch you guys filming. And since then, obviously a lot has happened since mysterially and ended. I went off, I went to Brown, I went to college. I graduated those five years ago.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I'm still behind the camera, but as a screenwriter and a director capacity.
Speaker 3: And I'm very proud.
Speaker 1: She's like she's got you can't talk I know specifically about the big thing.
Speaker 3: I know the podcast, people that you work with and.
Speaker 2: For Yes, at some point during the podcast, I am. I am working on a feature right now that I'm writing that. As much as I can say at this moment is it's with a very claimed filmmaker who I have admired their work for a really long time, so I am looking forward to being able to announce that publicly. I directed an animated short film that I wrote and directed that just premiered this March, and I work a lot between animation and live action, mainly on the feature side. But I'm especially interested about this podcast because I do think the intersecting narratives, how much story was covered in the eight incredible seasons of the show through so many different characters.
Speaker 1: I think as a writer, it'll be really interesting to see your lens as a as a writer too, because I remember Mark Cherry talking about how complicated it was to interweave for different characters storylines. Yeah, and honestly serve serve those characters, you know, independently, but then also you're you're weaving in this mystery and you're broader story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you watch a lot of shows where like one person is the star and you think like, oh, you know, well, we'll just service that character or whatever. But that's not what you had here. You had lots of stars and lots of characters, and they all had to be served in a different way, and it was really complicated.
Speaker 3: I'm sure for the writers.
Speaker 2: I think it's also probably why it spoke to so many different types of women, because there are so not one way to have a female experience in the world.
Speaker 5: I'm really excited to watch it because you know, it's one thing to interpret these storylines and watch these women when you're thirteen, you know, and fourteen and fifteen on, and it's different now being thirty five. I'm going to relate to your guys's characters in a totally different way.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't relate to being married.
Speaker 5: I didn't relate to you know, motherhood or you know, sex or any of it in that way.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 5: It would be so fascinating to me to revisit it now through the lens I have now and see how it lands and I yeah, and also just like get the jokes that probably went over my head the first time.
Speaker 4: So that'll be fun too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're all going to be getting the jokes, ye hopefully.
Speaker 1: Okay, So since our show is called desperately devoted, yes, I love that.
Speaker 3: I just do you guys have.
Speaker 1: Do you have something that you feel desperately devoted to?
Speaker 2: My laptop? I'm sorry that it's such a layman or my girlfriend's gonna kill me for saying that you're desperately devoted to your last time and you're like, yeah, yes, a final draft, just specifically.
Speaker 3: Well, that's important.
Speaker 2: I fashion I'm desperately devoted to my career right now. I feel like being twenty seven twenty eight is a time when a lot of people you really do start to I mean, obviously you've been focused on your career for since you were yeah six, but is the time that you kind of start to hone in on what really matters to me as an artist? What am I trying to say with my voice? And how do I balance that with my life and my home life and my friendships and my relationships. And yeah, I feel desperately devoted to that exploration.
Speaker 3: Right at time in your life and my life. Yeah, it's important. What about you? Are you desperately defended?
Speaker 5: Let's see, I'll give a light answer, and then I'm an answer with some gravitask. So the light answer, I'm desperately devoted to perfecting my sourdough recipe.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see that on your Instagram. Every time you post bread, my mouth is drooling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm getting better and better, And then I am desperately devoted to I'm in a very new chapter of my life.
Speaker 4: I have to say, I got married last year.
Speaker 3: I wonder you're gonna do? My dad and I love Yeah.
Speaker 4: And my husband, who happens to be a Housewives alum.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a fun story to get to tell me get there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and so this is an exciting time in my life, building our life together. And I'm also super excited to announce that we are I'm pregnant with my first child and we're expecting.
Speaker 3: A little girl later this year.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's fun. I'm really excited obviously for all of that.
Speaker 5: And also, you know, in a weird way, it feels very poetic to be sitting here with.
Speaker 4: You know, my TV mom and her daughter while I'm carrying my daughter, and it just feels like really beautiful and perfect timing.
Speaker 1: It's really too much, isn't it just when something just sort of fits? Yeah, And I just feel like we can take that energy. I feel like we will take that energy and bring it out to the to the people listening, I want them to be a part of it with us. I mean, I'll give you one guess, Oh your cat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Jesus, it's so pathetic. Yeah, I nailed it there, you guys go. I mean, and she doesn't even deserve it. That's the No, she doesn't.
Speaker 2: Honestly, such a little I hate to say it. I'm bursting the Instagram bubble right now. This cat does not want anything to do with anyone. You come in and she looks at you, and she's like.
Speaker 1: She photographs, and she's so soft, she's like a bunny. It's the thing is when you have that sort of aloofness in a pet and then they do dane to crawl on your chest and give you five minutes of your of their time to pet them, You're just ecstatic.
Speaker 4: She's the suitors of carrys are like taking notes.
Speaker 2: This is how Harry receives.
Speaker 1: Them a new definition of whipped. I am literally yeah to my cat. No, okay, so I am. It's it was a fairly obvious choice. I'm desperately devoted to my cat.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, when I leave for like an airplane trip, I just I go through the pangs the house.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the cat.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has a very specific food routine.
Speaker 1: But in I guess in a more serious way, I mean honestly, maybe this is something that will come up. I am an only child. My parents are both ninety. My dad is in this sort of moderate stage of dementia where his short term memory is fairly gone. My mom is stubbornly resistant to her loss of independence, and that makes some of her choices not great. And so I really am devoted to a balance that I have of my what I feel is my obligation to taking care of my family. And also I'm still having an acting career and still trying to be a creator. And also I'm devoted to helping people. You know, I have found that this community of caregivers it's rough and there is not a lot of support system. And so I started this little thing on my Instagram called Sandwiched, where I you know, because I went to the Court on Blue cooking.
Speaker 3: School after Desperate Housewives. Actually that was the first thing I did.
Speaker 1: After a few times I did Win Shopped and Great Bridge Bakeoff. See all things getting revealed about me that people maybe don't.
Speaker 2: Know people behind the curtain, and I've.
Speaker 1: Always shown people I love them through food. So doing these sandwich videos where I'm making sort of gourmet versions of sandwiches and talking about how I find some version of self care for myself and offering that to my audience. That's something I feel devoted to, right.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really interesting point in relation to Susan on Desperate Housewives and how you are so not like her, especially in this one the kitchen. In the kitchen, she was such a bad Yeah.
Speaker 4: Notoria is a prolific part of the show.
Speaker 3: I'm bad of a cook.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't even watched the show, and I feel like we used to be out when I was a little kid, and people would come up to you and go, oh my god. I totally relate. I also, I am a horrible cook, and I would watch my mom be like yeah, yeah, because he's actually hosting Christmas, Eve and Thanksgiving and cooking for forty five people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I said, you know, I am a good started cooking when I was eleven years old. My parents used to pay me a quarter a day to cook dinner. To cook dinner, I started. I made I made duck all a range when I was eleven, Like, because I was a latchkey kid, I was just home by myself. Both my parents worked and but wait, I on my Instagram. Even still, people will say about my videos They'll be they'll say, but Susan doesn't cook. And it is a really interesting thing how people think that you're the character. And there are definitely parts. I mean, Susan was single, and Susan was a single mom, and you have a very close bond, yeah, but super close bond. And and and I think Susan was desperate for love. I don't know that I was desperate for love. I haven't been dating at all for many, many, many years. But I think there was a while, definitely the years while we were shooting the show, where like I would have maybe tried to think I was going to get in a relationship again. I think that part of my life just feels like it's gone. Now that's not true, that's gone.
Speaker 4: You just are like, I'm at peace. If it doesn't go that way.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm totally at peace.
Speaker 1: I'm not at all desperate to find Yeah, but I think Susan was for sure, and there were you know, I always think of our Susan and Ma's connection was over vulnerability. I think we both were impaths. I think we both wore our emotions on our sleeves for good and for bad. And I think that's where the connection sort of stopped, because I was absolutely the opposite kind of mother to my actual daughter as I was to you. I'm sorry, I mean Susan was not the greatest.
Speaker 5: Other fun to watch too, just because I feel like you know, I loved our chemistry, and I loved our characters so much and their bond, and I loved when mothers and daughters would come up to me when I was out and talk about how much, you know, they saw themselves in us. And as now, you know, being older and looking back, I wonder if I'm going to you know, judge Susan Harrier.
Speaker 4: I've always been very defensive of Susan, well.
Speaker 1: Be defensive of Terry, and not maybe so much that pobstacles down the garbage as one of my favorite I had that prop sitting on the shelf in my childhood bedroom for.
Speaker 3: Years back together.
Speaker 2: Or I think they had one that never got yeah, and I didn't steal it.
Speaker 3: I actually asked if I could have it, but I wasn't worried that you still know, we were all worried that you.
Speaker 5: Were, But I'm not a I do remember the Crisco, the amount of Crisco that they put on their hands to try to shove it down.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's an edit of that, and no one's going to know what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So is there anything else we need to tell folks or tell each other or ask each other before we're setting off to record our first episode? Or do you guys have Oh? This was something I was thinking about doing. I thought that food, well, food has played an important part of my personal life. I know it plays an important part.
Speaker 3: You love to cook, I know you loved to cook.
Speaker 1: I love food, and we love to go to restaurants and hosting so huge part of all of our lives collectively. I thought it would be fun too as we approach each episode. And of course the macaroni and cheese stands out to me more than almost anything, but I thought it might be fun. I think I'm going to bring in my version of gourmet and macaroni and cheese and.
Speaker 3: Maybe share the recipe with.
Speaker 1: Our listeners and we can eat a little bit of it while we're while we're doing this and hang out and then maybe we can switch off, like maybe if you watch an episode and you get motivated. We can text each other and say like, Hey, I'm bringing in pie or I'm bringing in muffins.
Speaker 3: You know I got that basket breeze basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say I got my bartender's license during COVID. So maybe if there's an episode where something gets a little spicy.
Speaker 1: Honey, people were always spicy desperate house with an apple base something.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I'll do a version one for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll drink her extra.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I was thinking that that might be fun.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be fun and I love it.
Speaker 1: Are you like picturing yourself how you're going to watch the episode? You're gonna take notes or you're gonna like how are you gonna do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I've always been I think I get this from you. I've always been a good student. I'm excited. I think I'm gonna do a watch. I'm just gonna watch it. You know, I'm not gonna write because I want to absorb it as it was intended to be watched. I've never watched it before, and then of course I'm going to take my notes, my notes afterwards. A Sunday night watch wasn't it airing.
Speaker 1: On Sunday night, Sunday night, and we're recording our podcast on Monday.
Speaker 2: So I will be watching on Sunday like we're.
Speaker 1: Stepping through the time machine and headed back. There's gonna be a lot of similarities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: Thankfully I don't have sprayed dyed brown hair like I did in the pipeet.
Speaker 4: I shall be stepping back to that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, I'm excited. I will take notes, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a note I'm a note person. I'm not very good at taking notes in that I write literally everything down.
Speaker 2: You know, you highlight the whole book.
Speaker 5: Yes, I highlighted the entire thing. People are like, that's not how you highlight. I'm like important to me yet the highlight.
Speaker 4: Anyway. Yeah, I will definitely all come with notes notes too.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna watch it first.
Speaker 1: And we're all very studious, I think.
Speaker 3: Is the point we learned.
Speaker 1: None of us are half assers, is the thing. They're all like, we do things.
Speaker 2: We're going to full past.
Speaker 3: This is a full ass podcast.
Speaker 5: Whole ass fans, whole ass Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, well we're you know, we hope you'll join us every week and I have a feeling we're going to deliver.
Speaker 3: We're going to over deliver. So yeah, I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: Wisteria Memory Lane, Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: We'll go right past the picket fences and right into the house, into the home, into the heart. It's reminding me actually, of that there was a lot of rat poop that you never saw on camera, so you're going to hear about that.
Speaker 3: I love you, guys. I'm so excited for this. It's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.