Ana Huang: Welcome back to she Pivots. This is Ana Huang.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Welcome back to She Pivots, the podcast where women share bold career moves and personal turning points that changed everything. I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman. Picture this. It's the late twenty teens, and somewhere inside a geopolitical consulting firm, there's a woman in press relations doing very stable work that you can speak openly to your parents about over dinner and every morning before that job even starts, she's up writing romance novels under a name nobody in her real life knows. That woman is today's guest, Ana Huang. She's a number one New York Times bestselling author. Her romance books have sold more than twenty five million copies and been translated into thirty four languages. Her Twisted series pulled in over two billion views on book Talk and now it's headed to Netflix. And she got here through a childhood writing assignment that was meant to help her improve her English. And at two am moment in a tiny New York apartment where she asks herself, is this what I want? We're going all the way back to little Ana, growing up a first generation American child to Chinese immigrants, and we go all the way up to finding her passion for writing, building a dedicated following in the romance genre, and her new book King of Gluttney that was just released this April. This is Ana Huang and this is how she pivots. What is your name and what do you do?
Ana Huang: My name is Ana Huang and I am a contemporary romance author.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Incredible, We're going to go all the way back to little Ana. Tell us about growing up. Tell us about your family.
Ana Huang: I was born in New York, but I grew up In Miami. Chinese immigrant family. And I think I really started loving reading and writing when I was small. When I was in kindergarten, I had to take English as second language classes, which I didn't know because I was the only Chinese kid in my class and so I was the only one in my ESL class. And I was just like, Oh, this guy just like comes every week and I get to chat with him in English about everything. And I had no idea it was to like help me improve my language skills. And my mom at the same time she was like, hey, like, why don't you write me a different story every day in English? And in my mind, I was like, Oh, my mom loves my stories. I'm gonna write her story every day. And that was sort of how I actually got into the whole loving books thing. And she really nourished that. She took me to the library every weekend. It was so funny because I remember I was eight years old and I told her. I was like, oh, Mom, like, I think I really want to be an author. And she looked at me and she was like, hmmm, I don't know. She's like, I love that as a hobby, but as a job, I think you need something more like financially stable. So for the longest time, I just did it for fun. Yeah, it was like my creative outlet.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Just to back up for a second, how did your family end up in a community where you were the only Chinese family or just student?
Ana Huang: Yeah, so Miami has a very large Latin community, not as many Asians in the school district that I happened to be in. I just happened to be one of the very few Asian students there, which was fine, you know, I learned to adapt, but it also meant that my family had to be very conscious about keeping me in touch with my culture. At home, they only spoke to me in Chinese and they didn't speak to me in English. And even now sometimes when I meet their friends, they're like, wow, they're like, your daughter speaks Chinese so well, like like my like my children also grow up in America and they like barely understand it. But that was something that was really important to them.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So that was a really conscious choice. Like what were some of the other ways that your family kept you grounded in the Chinese heritage.
Ana Huang: I mean, they really kept to their traditions. I do think especially as over time went on, they did become like a little bit more westernized, you know, they adopted a bit more, they kind of melded Asian and Western traditions. But for us, it was always you know, like the foods that we ate, the traditions that we had every Sunday we would go to dim sum at home. We practiced a lot of things I think are very important in Chinese culture, just like the way that we treat our elder sort of like all of the TV shows that we watched were all of these dramas that were from Hong Kong, you know that they installed specifically so that they can watch Hong Kong dramas in the US, and so I grew up in that sort of environment, and it was really interesting to me because I feel like when I talked to a lot of other people that also come from different cultural backgrounds, it's almost like a switch. Like when I am at school with my friends, I feel very American, and I am American because I grew up here, But then when I went home, I kind of feel like almost a different person, just because the way that I interact with them is so different than how I would interact with my non Asian friends.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You brought up the idea to your mom that you might think that you might want to be an author when you were eight. What were some other things that you thought you might want to be when you grew.
Ana Huang: Okay, I will tell you this much. I was very influenced by the media that I consumed, and so when I watched the Double Wars product, I was like, I'm going to be a magazine editor, Miranda Priestley, that's going to be me. And then it was this like science fiction show called mun X. It was sort of like a live action X Men almost that I was obsessed with when I was in middle school, and I looked at it and I was like, I'm going to be a geneticist. That was completely not realistic because I'm not that great a science, and so I switched back and forth. But I have always been really drawn to things in the arts and culture, you know, Like I loved interior design. I loved fashion, Like the backlog of Vogue and Allure magazines that I had starting from when I was like twelve. My mom was like, Ana, you got to throw some of these away, like you're not reading this old Vogue from like two thousand, and I'm like, how do you know that? I remember one day. Yeah, I was like, maybe one day I need to go back and reference this article from like May two thousand. You don't know. I ended up in college. Actually I settled on international relations instead.
Emily Tisch Sussman: The very clear line from Miranda Priestley to geneticist.
Ana Huang: To a natural pipeline, you know. But no, I decided to do international relations because I really loved travel. I was probably the only girl in my middle school class that insisted my mom subscribe me to Conde Nast Traveler and Travel and Leisure. That was pretty precocious, and I loved it. I loved reading the story, seeing the world, Like I hadn't traveled much at the time, but it was something that always just really fascinated me. And so when I went to college and was really thinking, like, Okay, what is something I can do that has a very solid foundation in the sense that my family would be like, Okay, this is something that is like more financially stable. Plus it's something that I personally would be interested in. And I think international relations. Yes, it's travel, but I also loved the idea of like connecting with people of different cultures and having that through line, and so that was what I did for a long time.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Yeah, how much did your parents approval matter to you? Like did you have to like keep going back and checking when you took jobs? Like how much did that still play in? It?
Ana Huang: Did matter for sure? I mean I think every kid wants their parents to be proud of them, but especially I think in my culture it was a pretty important thing. And I think I felt maybe a stillin pressure because I was the first person in my family to go to college and I felt like, you know, they moved to the US, and they sacrificed so much for me to have this education and all of the experiences that I had, and you know, to send me off to college. I don't want to go into a field where if they feel like they've wasted like all this time and money to send me to something that they're not proud of. But for me, I didn't necessarily have to check with them on jobs. It was more like, okay, Like in my mind, I was already self censoring myself. I already knew and then once I decided on something, I just had to sell it to them in a way that I knew they would be more open to the storyteller.
Emily Tisch Sussman: From the beginning exactly.
Ana Huang: I was like, well, I was like, mom, international relations, the federal government job is very stable. And then she's like, okay, okay, She's like so one day secretary of State, and I was like, sure.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Yeah, we'll keep it in the range of possibilities, not zero percent. So what were like the actual jobs that you did in.
Ana Huang: Yeah, well, okay, so it was a lot. So I actually I didn't go straight into international relations because after college, I wanted to go to grad school first, and so I wanted a little bit of a gap year in between undergrad and grad school. So I actually spent a year teaching second grade in DC, and it was more of like a national service thing, like I did a lot of education based work, like for volunteer work in college. So that was just for a year, and then after that I worked for the Singapore Embassy in DC for a little bit, sort of in their cultural departments. It was a lot of admin stuff I did, like a lot of the passports, a lot of the consort of stuff. I also helped the Social secretary put on a lot of the diplomatic events and all of that, which was really fun for me. And then after I was there for a little bit, I went to grad school at Georgetown where I got my master's in international politics. And then after I graduated from there, I moved to New York and I actually ended up working in the press communications department of a geopolitical consulting company. What I really wanted to do. I wanted to be in the Foreign service, but I decided to switch to the private sector after the twenty sixteen election.
Emily Tisch Sussman: And then you know, Ana's dreamed to become an author got filed away under someday and she went looking for something her family can be proud of. She ended up in international relations, a master's from Georgetown, a consulting firm in New York. The whole time, though she's still writing, she just kept it a secret. You were writing the whole time under a side name and sharing your work on Whatpad. Yeah, under a username, not telling your family.
Ana Huang: No, that was oh my god. This was before AO three. Really. That was like in the two thousand Swatpad was like the place to be and that was teenage me and it was such a formative experience for me actually, because for the longest time I always told myself, I was like, I never want to write for money, Like I know, I told my parents I watched me an author. But then I was like, I don't know, Like I kind of love the act of just writing for myself. It was therapy for me. It was a creative outlet, and I was afraid that if it became my job that I wouldn't love it anymore, and so it became my thing. But then I discovered what Pad. I was what like sixteen maybe. When I found it, I was like, all of these stories are so interesting. I can just write whatever I want. And I decided to upload one story just to get feedback, and it actually ended up doing really well. Like I had some stories go viral on there, but for me, it was still for fun, you know, like I never thought like, oh, I'm gonna make this into her career until much later, much later. But I think it was very formative for me because it really taught me how to write in a way that I think will keep people coming back from more because it's kind of more of a serial up, like you upload one chapter at a time so they can't be really boring or else people get bored, and then they'll also comment, and you know, you have that interaction with your readers, and I think that really informed the way that I interact with my viewers.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Now, okay, so when did you start telling people in your lives that you were writing.
Ana Huang: You mean as a professional writer or no.
Emily Tisch Sussman: No, even like Wattpad or I was like, when did you start telling people in your lives but you kept writing?
Ana Huang: Yeah? So in my personal life, I never told them about Wattpad that was my little secret like you and my parents did it. Now, I just did it for fun, like I had online friends, but people in my real life did not know. I think maybe I first started telling people in grad school because I did end publishing and now it's been unpublished, but what are the stories I put on whatpat I published it for a very short time because I was like, oh, well, I'm in grad school, I can't work full time. I need some extra income, and so that's what I did. I just I was like, well, I write your roote the story, so I might as well just publish it. And it actually did help me. It did pretty well for something that I had no clue what I was doing at the time. So I told a couple of people. I never told them what the title of the book was or what I wrote it under. And like I said, it's since been unpublished because I wrote that when I was a teenager, and looking back, I'm like, this is not like the best work that I could have done.
Emily Tisch Sussman: What does it mean to be published, like when you say you published it?
Ana Huang: So for that it was just self published that book. It was you know, you can go on Amazon, you can go on KDP, and you can just like self publish a book and then people can find it. So that was a very low key event, and then I unpublished it years later when I was like, oh, this could be better. I didn't actually tell people that I was seriously considering writing until after the pandemic. I think for the longest time. There was actually a long stretch where I couldn't read or write for fun in my twenties, just because I had grad school. Like, I was so busy with work. I had all of this reading that I needed to do for school, and so I dropped out of it for a long time. But then when the pandemic came, I was a home I had nothing else to do, so I was like, Okay, time for me to get back into my hobby. And that was when I really rediscovered my love for books and for writing. I published in twenty twenty my debut adult romance, and then my breakout novel came in twenty twenty one, and it's kind of been off to the races, I guess.
Emily Tisch Sussman: The opportunity to really get into writing again and let her taste and style develop. She finally shared her identity with her family and friends, shattering her double life as she doubled down on her passion. In a minute, we'll ask Ana what it was like to go all in on writing, why she chose the romance genre, telling her parents she was quitting her job, and why her mom is explicitly not allowed to read Ana's books be right back. Once you started writing again, did you go back to like the same genres you had been writing? Did you try different genres? Like how did you decide what you were going to write and public?
Ana Huang: So I have always been a romance lover, even from when I was young, maybe a little too young, But I think the only difference is that when I was younger, I was writing a lot of fly A obviously, because I was in the Ya mange, like I was writing about people on high school. I was writing about teenagers. They were not spicy at all. They were just sort of like cute, little high school stories. And by the time I got back to writing in the Pandemic, I was obviously much older. I was reading kind of more adult, mature books, and so that was where you saw the line. It's like everything I had written before that was very YA and then starting in twenty twenty, it started to get gradually more mature in adult and like spicier in a way. And that's really the only difference. Like I've never really tried writing outside of the romance genre. I might in the future, but that's still my first love.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Do you remember when you took up the pen or the keyboard. Yeah, and you thought, okay, am I rusty?
Ana Huang: Oh yeah, for sure. And honestly sometimes it still happens, like every time I start a new book, I'm like, have I forgotten how to write a book? Like I know I've done this before in my lives. That's so hard. I think it actually is a muscle, Like I think writing is a muscle, and you can train yourself to be better and faster at it. But I remember, like in twenty twenty, I was writing and I was sort of like, oh my god, like I don't actually know where I'm going, but this is fun. And I will say that was way back then before I learned like all of these courses you can take and podcasts you can take, and all of these things that you can learn about writing, craft and marketing. So there's something to be said about not knowing what you don't know. So for me, it was just like, Okay, I'm going to sit here and I'm just going to tell the story how I feel it needs to be told. And it was actually a lot easier back then because there were fewer eyes on me, Like there are practically no eyes on me, So I had a lot of freedom to do what I wanted. Now it's a little different.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You say that you know you were kind of like pulling from the age of experience that you were, like from yade to adult. How much were you pulling from your own experiences then and how much do you now?
Ana Huang: I think definitely my earlier books were much more heavily based on my experiences, Like not totally, but my debut series it's about a group of friends that meet during study of broad in Shanghai, and I studied broad in Shanghai, so obviously there's a lot of correlation there, and obviously it's been dramatized for fiction, but a lot of it was experiences that I had when I was traveling, and even now, in a lot of my books, there are little bits and pieces of things that I experience in real life, or glimpses of people that I know in real life that have been changed in some way, but they still inform my writing. And I know there's this saying that they're like, write what you know, and I do write what I know, But at the same time, I'm like, you have to expand past that a little bit, because if you only write what you know, then that's pretty limiting sometimes, I feel.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So, at what point did you say, I'm going to do it under my own name, which first of all was different for you. And when am I going to start identifying myself as an author?
Ana Huang: I think that and a wrong name. I kind of just went for it, you know, like I was like, Okay, well, obviously I can't publish a quote unquote serious book under I don't know, like some screen name that I put when I was like a teenager, right, so I had to pick something, and that was what I stuck with. And then as an author, it actually took me a while because it felt really weird to say like, I'm an author. Especially when I started. I was doing both my day job and writing at the same time, right, so it was not my identity. I would be like, oh, it's just something I do for fun, and that's how I described it for the longest time. And obviously now like I do tell people like I'm an author because this is what this is what actually what I do. But it took a couple of years for my mind to really make that shift and being like, oh, like I am actually like an author, like this is not just a hobby or something that I'm like doing on the side or whatever, like this is a real thing.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So where were you in that when your book blew up? Like, were you still working at your international policy job? Oh?
Ana Huang: Yeah, I was. I was still in my day jobs. I would wake up early every morning and maybe have like an hour or two in the morning where I would write, and then I'd come home and I would write. And no one at my job knew really until I quit, and they asked, you know, like well, where are you going, like what are you doing now? And I was like oh, because none of them really read in this genre or really understand. I was sort of like, oh, you know, like I'm going to be a writer or like, you know, I write fiction. I didn't tell them what my name was. Some of them were little like, oh, they seemed a little concerned. I remember one of them, They're like, are you going to be able to pay your rent? And I'm like, think, I'll be fine.
Emily Tisch Sussman: , So I'm nervous to hear about your conversation with your mom. How did you tell your mom?
Ana Huang: Okay? See, I was smart about that because I waited a very long time until I achieved like a certain level of success and then I went to her and I was like, so much. I'm actually quitting my job and I'm becoming an author. She was like, are you sure, But I was like, I actually make more writing than I do at my day job, and I know I can make even more than that if I have the time to devote fully to this career, you know, And it was it was a conversation, you know. I think in the beginning she was still you know how mothers are, like, no matter how old you are or how much you've done, like they'll always be your mom, And so she was a little concerned. But I think over time she saw the success that I've seen and how much I enjoyed the job, and I think I'm I got to the point where I was old enough that she was like, Okay, I think you actually know what you're doing, Like this isn't some young flight of fancy, Like you have a good head on your shoulders and I trust you. And now she's like thrilled. She's like, yeah, my daughter was like didn't author, Yeah.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Do your parents read your books?
Ana Huang: Oh? No, not allowed? Not allowed. Actually at my Twisted Love, like the dedication, it was like dedicated to my mom. And I was like, mom, please like close this book right now, like you're not allowed to read it.
Emily Tisch Sussman: This is as far as you are allowed exactly.
Ana Huang: Oh my god, that would be so uncomfortable. I'm comfortable. My books are pretty spicy. Yeah so, but no, but she does buy all of them, but she she doesn't read them, at least she told me she hasn't read them.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So exactly, she told you exactly, she's like passing around dollar friends.
Ana Huang: Oh god, no, oh my god.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I love this. Ana did something almost no other author was doing at the time. She went all in on a brand new app called TikTok Okay. So you started to self publish in twenty nineteen, and then you went all in on TikTok before most people understood book talk at all. How did you find it? How did it align for you? Like you really blew up with the genre?
Ana Huang: Yes, I did. So that was sort of where my background in marketing and communications really came in. I have a lot of sn so while I was doing my day job, and this was before lockdown, A was also really interested in travel blogging and Instagram and photography. So I did that just for fun and as part of that, I had to really stay on top of social media, like back then, like Instagram was the biggest thing, right it was Instagram and Pinterest and blogs, and so I was already really enmeshed in that sort of creator world. And I remember starting in like twenty nineteen, but really like twenty twenty, I started to see more people talking about TikTok. I mean, it's nowhere near what it is today, but I was part of all of these author groups and want authors. She's like, I'm seeing so much traction on TikTok. And this was before people even knew what it was, but they were like, TikTok, really, what is that a new platform? I don't want to learn a new platform. And for me, I had a little resistance to it too, because I didn't want to be on video. At the time, I was still anonymous and that people have never seen my face, and I was like, I don't want to show my face, Like I don't want to be on video. I'm very comfortable with the Instagram model of like creative photography, and like I knew that world and I liked it, but I was like, you know what, like let me create a TikTok account just to see right, And so for the longest time I created account and I was just sort of watching it. I wasn't really doing anything. But then I started to slowly like dip my toe into the community. And this was way back in the day. I mean twenty twenty. I could count the number of Romance Book accounts on like one hand. Back then, it was all like ya, fantasy, like that was the big thing. But it was a really great community. I started to get more and more comfortable being on camera. I learned the way that people spoke on their sort of what the community rules are, and I developed a really good community. And when I decided to write Twisted Love, which is my breakout book, I remember I first realized that TikTok could really drive that marketing and sales is when I put the pre order for Twisted Love up and then I made a TikTok about it, like a ten second TikTok, and then overnight I got like one hundred preorders, which for me at the time was like a lot. Like that was a lot of pre orders for me, and I was like, oh my god. All I did was make a video that took me like five minutes to make, and that was when I really just to like go all in.
Emily Tisch Sussman: And what did that mean, Like what did marketing through TikTok look like?
Ana Huang: So I think the thing about marketing through TikTok for me is I never wanted to be like, oh, chere's my book, you should buy it. You know, like that's not what works on the platform. It has to be something a little bit more organic. So for me, it was a lot of things. It was like behind the scenes, like back in the day, I would ask people I was trying to choose, like the cover models for my book, and then I would make videos. I'd be like, oh, like, which cover model do you think would be best for the book? I talk about my writing process, I talk about things that are not necessarily about my books but are relevant to the community. It would be memes, so like basically everything book is related. And yes, like I did sell for some of them, but not always. It was more about just being a part of the community and being in conversation with people. So like by the time that the book did come out, I had a group of people that were there to support me in the way that I supported them. And also I did send out like a lot of early copies to book talkers at the time, which I think was really helpful.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You've described self publishing as running a small business, yes, that you had a leg of on because of your marketing experience. So how much did the former career end up fueling the pivot into being an author? Quite a bit?
Ana Huang: Actually, I think I am a little different from a lot of authors and that I really enjoy marketing because of my background. But I think, you know, when people say I want to be an author, they think, okay, like all you have to do is write, And that's not true, right, Like, especially when you're a self published author, you have to do everything. You have to do the back end, the admin, you have to do, the marketing, you have to do the publishing, all of that. And I think a lot of people don't know that. But because of my background, like I have a lot of experience in a lot of those fields and I actually do enjoy it, And so for me, it was a very natural pivot. I was like, I can take all of these things that I learned on my old job and sort of my old hobbies and just apply them to this new field. I had a lot of fun, to be.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Honest, Suddenly Ana wasn't writing for a few hundred people, she was writing for millions. And when big publishers came knocking, she did something most first time authors would never dare to do. She said, no, well hear why she turned them down. Just after the break you did self published? Can you talk about what that decision was like? And also what does it literally mean to have self published a book?
Ana Huang: So basically the main types is self publishing and then the traditional publishing that most people know is like you sign with the publisher like Simon and Schuster, Penguin, Random House, or HarperCollins, and they will handle the entire process right like they'll pay you in advance and then they'll take care of everything like the production, the bookstore, distribution, all of that. Self publishing is literally like you do it all on your own. A lot of people how they do it. Like I said, Amazon is the biggest marketplace for I think indie authors. Obviously there are other platforms, but that's really where a lot of the readers are. And so when you're done with your book, you can literally upload it to Amazon and they'll be live. And obviously it's up to you to drive people to the page to tell me the book. But self publishing it's like you get all of the creative control, you get all of the royalties, you know. For me, I actually never thought about doing traditional publishing because I really wanted creative control. I was like, I don't want people telling me what I can and cannot write, Like I want to do things the way that I want to do them. I looked up all the guides online on how to do it. I listened to all the podcasts. I'm a big learner, like I love learning things.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I'm sure they came knocking.
Ana Huang: They did, and it's funny because I will say they came in. I mean, now it is very common for publishers to pick up a previously self published author. It's almost become like a model in a way. But back then in twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, almost unheard of, Like it was pretty Verbonan. It was sort of like, oh, like if yourself published a book, you know, like you can't.
Emily Tisch Sussman: What you're like, real?
Ana Huang: Oh yeah, exactly. But I remember I got an agent, and my agent came to me and it was actually two separate offers. I had one offer for the UK and Commonwealth, and then I had one for North America, like US and Canada in the UK one. I was like, okay, I would love more international distribution, and that was a pretty easy yes. North America, I was like, ugh, I don't know. I actually said no when they first offered because I was like, I may honestly like I make so much now printing my own books. I was like, they can never give me an advance that will match what I'm making now, And how do I know that they're going to buy this book and they're not going to do anything with it, so it's just going to sit on shelves, right, which was a real concern that I had. So I said no. And then they came back maybe two months later and they said, okay, if you signed with us, Barnes and Noble really wants to stop more of your books. But they can't now because I'm not traditionally published, so it would be so much more expensive for them to buy books for me. They're like, if you sign with us, we can guarantee that Barnes and Noble will buy X amount of books of your books and stop them in the store, right, And that's really the one thing that's self publishers don't have as much as traditional publishers. Is that bookstore distribution. It's really hard to get white bookstore distribution as an indie, and so I discussed it with my agent and finally I was like, Okay, let's try this, and I ended up working really well.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You now have more than twenty five million copies sold, yeah, Crazy Twisted is headed to Netflix, yes, and you have a reader base that has a lot of passionate opinions.
Ana Huang: Yeah.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So how has the scale of this change your relationship to the writing?
Ana Huang: Oh Man, Yeah, it's it's been kind of wild, and honestly, it's something that I had to learn how to deal with over the years. People always ask me, They're like, what's the hardest book that you ever had to write? And I was like, the book after my breakout, Twisted Love was easy for me because, like I said, at the time, no one was like paying attention. So I was like, it doesn't really matter, like I can write whatever I want. And then it blew up and trying to write that second book was so difficult for me because now I had all of these voices, you know, like people making theories, and then I was like, what if they don't like this second book, what if it's like a one hit wonder, Like what if it flops? I don't know. So I had like so much pressure to write that second book. I like couldn't write it for like a month. Obviously it's gotten better over time, but I also had to learn how to really tune out the noise. Like I'm not as online as much as I used to be, just because there's like so many opinions and I can, like the minute I go online, I can be like, I'm just going to scroll for ten minutes, and I end up being there on like three hours, and it's not great for my writing, I can tell you that much. So I had to really put in systems to make sure that I'm insulated from the noise. And obviously I do want to know how my readers are responding to books and kind of what they want. But I think at the end of the day, as an author, it's my responsibility to kind of write the story that I want to write in the way that I see it because everyone will have opinions, right, Like, you can't please everyone, It's literally impossible. So I just have to stay true to myself at my vision.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Yeah, that could apply in many contexts, by the way, but everyone has an opinion.
Ana Huang: Exactly everyone, and sometimes I have multiple O pity and I'm like, that's great.
Emily Tisch Sussman: But you know exactly, but you have to trust yourself exactly. I know what direction I'm heading exactly. You've talked about why you love. Romance is a genre, yes, the guaranteed happy endings, and there's a big cultural movement behind romance right now. Do you think we're in the next wave, Like is it a blip or is it like here to stay?
Ana Huang: I mean, romance has always been a very strong and a very high stelling genre. I do think over the past few years because of multiple things, right, it could be TikTok, it could be the pandemic when everyone just wanted sort of like escape and something happier. That has really come together to make it boom in a way that maybe it hasn't since the early twenty tons when fifty Shades of Great came out. I do think that it has staying power. I mean, it's lasted for decades and for me, there is always room in the market for stories about joy that center around woman and their pleasure, and it's just something that I really love about the genre that I think a lot of other people do too.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You've also been vocal about representation of Asian American characters.
Ana Huang: Yeah. So when I was growing up, I didn't see a lot of people in media that looked like me. We had like Lucy lu we had you know, I loved the Babysitters Club. I loved Claudia from Babysaters Club, And at the time, I didn't actually think about it, like I didn't question like why she was my favorite. I was just like, oh, like, I don't know, She's just my favorite. Like I relate, and obviously, like as a grown up, I can see hindsight why I would relate so much more to them. But I think when I started writing, I really wanted to write the stories I always wanted to see when I was growing up, And it was also important to me that they are integrated in a way that felt natural in the sense that for example, like me being Chinese American, I don't think that's the most interesting thing about me, as I hope like for these characters, like, yes, like their culture informs the way that they see certain things, in how they approached certain relationships, but the story is not about that, right like they can have love stories just like anyone else, like any one of any culture, and I want to make sure that that was really present in the stories that I write, that it was still about the romance, about the love story, but the cultural elements and influences are also relevant.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You're releasing a new book today, Yes, congratulations, Thank you tell us about it.
Ana Huang: Thank you. So. King of Glutney is the sixth book in my Kings of Sin series, and the Kings of Sin series is contemporary romances based on the Seven Deadly Sins. This one is my first ever childhood rivals to lovers romance. So Maya and Sebastian, their families are best friends, but they themselves have been competing over basically everything since they were kids, like Gray's jobs, accomplishments, and then in this book, they are forced to work together on this like huge project which they're not very happy about. A lot of feelings arise, both old and new. There's a tiny little bit suspense subplot as well to keep things interesting. Yes, I really love them. I think for people that love a yearning hero, this one is for them. And I was a little nervous going into it because Gluttey is a hard stin to make appealing.
Emily Tisch Sussman: I'm super sexy. I hope I succeeded. How has the release of the book today been different for you than last books?
Ana Huang: I mean, release days are always sort of a whirlwind for me, and I think it's just been really incredible to see the response to this book. Readers feel like they really connected to this one and sort of to their romance, and so it's just been really joyful all around.
Emily Tisch Sussman: What do you technically do on release days?
Ana Huang: I should be better about celebrating things. I'm not. But usually I love a good spa day, so I actually have a spa day after this, and usually I just treat myself to like a nice meal, like you know, a nice massage, and I try to take it easy. I try to stay off my phone. Obviously, I have to like respond to text and stuff, but I try to be out in the city so that I'm not just sitting at my desk like refreshing everything. Yeah.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Are they sound like do they like that? No?
Ana Huang: Exactly, I'm like, Okay, how's it going? Are there any tech issues? I just have to be doing stuff so I'm not over thinking everything that.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Totally makes sense. Is there something that at the time could be something we've talked about, could be something different that at the time you saw as a real low point for you, and now, in hindsight, you see it as having really launched you to the success you are today.
Ana Huang: I would say when I first moved to New York, those first couple of years, not that I was necessarily unhappy, but I was in my late twenties and I was doing the job and it was fine, but I was sort of like, I don't know, like it felt like the success that I had always wanted or like that sort of like big success, right that like my mom would always talk about whatever, Like it just felt so far away from me at that point, and like New York is so expensive, and I was living in this tiny apartment with two roommates and whatever, and I was like, oh my god. I was like, is this like all there is to life? Think, you know what I mean. So I would like sometimes spiral out a little bit where I'm like, where am I in the right job? Like what is it about this that I'm actually excited about? Right? So I had a lot of those like existential crises, which I think really led me to where I am today. Because now I'm like, yeah, like, obviously this is not always an easy job, but it is something that I am really excited and happy about. And I always ask myself, I'm like, even if I you know, I don't have any of this, you know, the New York Times bestseller all of this, I'm like, what I still want to write? And the answer is still yes.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Were you able to find any versions of happiness that in the old job, like in the old version of.
Ana Huang: Your No, I mean it was. It wasn't awful or anything. I mean, I loved my team. I think I had. I probably had a better social life back then, because you know, it was like clock in, clock out, and then I could do whatever I wanted. And I definitely had a fun time living in my late twenties in New York. But I think it was you know when you lie awake late at night, at like two am, and you're just sort of like thinking, and so those are like the things I would be thinking about at like two in the morning, and I'm like, is this really what I see myself doing for the rest of my life?
Emily Tisch Sussman: What is your version of success now?
Ana Huang: I think for me success now is actually freedom, Like the time freedom the freedom to do the things that I want and not so much tied into sort of accolades or finances the way that it was I think in the early years.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You know, do you have a version of success for your books and for your stories?
Ana Huang: Yeah, I mean I think for me, I mean, they've honestly gone beyond what I ever I thought they would, and you know, I obviously would love to see them on the big screen and for them to come to life. But for me, I think one of the things that has always stuck with me most beyond all of like the bestseller lists and all of that, is when I meet readers and they say your book has helped me through like a really hard time in my life, or this is you know, sort of like what kept me going and brought me joy. And it's really those moments that really stuck with me the most.
Emily Tisch Sussman: You know, do you have dream actors to play your characters?
Ana Huang: So I don't. I'm really bad at fancasting, but I actually almost want to have new faces away that like this will be their breakout role, you know what I mean. I think there's so much untopped great talent out there. I'm really excited to see can we consider this an open call for new talent. Yes, yes, and if anyone has any recommendations or fancast I am also open tearing them.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Love that. Yes, let's get it. Let's get some RECs going exactly. Let's introduce someone to the world. Yes, yes, give them new opportunities.
Ana Huang: I love it amazing.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Ye, any platform we can create that can give people new opportunities, particularly women, All in for truly all in? Well, do you think you'll pivot again? Is this the thing you'll be doing for the rest of your life? You know?
Ana Huang: I mean for now? I don't see myself doing anything else. Asking me again in ten years, I don't know. But I do really love it. I mean, I've loved books, and I've loved reading and writing since I was a kid. So I think, no matter what happens, It'll always be a part of my life in some way or another.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Well, is there anything we haven't covered that we should?
Ana Huang: No? I mean no, this has been so much fun chatting with you. You have been so well prepared and comprehensive.
Emily Tisch Sussman: We cover a lot of ground too.
Ana Huang: Yes, No, this is amazing. Thank you so much for having me.
Emily Tisch Sussman: Oh, I'm so honored to be here, priest spa like you fit us in. I think it's a good sign that you didn't think this was going to be too stressful so you can unwind later. You're like, yeah, yeah, this is good vibes.
Ana Huang: Na Me. I've listened to your past episodes and it's always always a good vibe.
Emily Tisch Sussman: So thank you for coming in.
Ana Huang: Thank you, thank you so much, such a pleasure.
Emily Tisch Sussman: For years, Ana was scared to make writing her job. She figured it the second it became work, she'd stop loving it. So when I asked her if all of it disappeared tomorrow, the best seller list, the Netflix deal, all of that, would she still write? She didn't even hesitate. Of course, it was a yes. The one thing she was too afraid to risk pursuing turned out to be the one thing she couldn't give up, and the part of herself that she hid from people in her life ended up building a huge online community of millions of passionate readers. Ana's new book, King of Gluttney is out now. Her mom will buy the book. Her mom will not be allowed to read it, but that doesn't mean you can't. That's all for today. See you next Wednesday. Thanks for listening. To she pivots. If you like this episode, follow the show so you never miss a pivot story and share it with one woman in your life who might need to hear it. To learn more about our guests and join our community, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the podcast our Subscribe to our substack for exclusive content and behind the scenes conversations. You can also find us at shepivotspod dot com. This episode was produced and edited by Paige Davis Jeannotte, with sound editing and mixing by Nina Pollock. Logistics and planning by Emma Stopek and Kendall Krupkin. Research by Christine Dickason. She Pivots is proud to be a part of the iHeart Podcast Network. I endorse She Pivots