Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's gonna be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Welcome to it could happen here show about things falling apart. The thing falling apart this week is me after watching nine hours of Clinton testimony.
Speaker 4: The past two days. Can relate. I'm Garrison Davis.
Speaker 3: I'm joined by Sophie LECHTERBD to discuss guys.
Speaker 4: Hey, Sophie, hey.
Speaker 1: To discuss the Clinton testimony. I was gonna say, can relate after you know you fortunately missed that Clinton speech at the DNC in twenty twenty four. Clinton, that was a really really, really really long hour of my life.
Speaker 4: That's a long speech for a guy of that age too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we were together during Hillary's speech. We did catch that when we're in the pit. I think that's when I got COVID. I got the Clinton COVID. Hillary got COVID too at the DNC, so I think she gave it to me.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: That's when we were up close and personal with the Clintons last. Now they're back.
Speaker 3: They've never been more back, They've never been more I completely agree. If you don't want to hear the voices, I've tried to limit it, but there's gonna be some the voices of Hillary and or Bill Clinton. This is your chance. If you want to hear me talk about Hillary being asked about everything from spies to aliens and Quanon. It's again, this is your sign to continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm excited. Let's do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get started, because there's probably more more to cover than what we'll be able to so. On February twenty sixth and twenty seventh, Hillary and Bill Clinton respectively testified in closed door hearings about their relationship with Jeffrey Epstein and Glaine Maxwell. The Clinton's refers to Penia to testify in this Bipartisan House Oversight Committee investigation into the DOJ's handling of the Epstein investigation back in August of twenty twenty five. For months, they pushed back against having to testify, arguing the process was politically motivated, that the subpoenas were quote unquote invalid and legally unenforceable, and that to any relevant information they had could be delivered via assigned statement. In January twenty twenty six, Chairman James Comer advanced two resolutions recommending the Clintons be held in contempt of Congress for refusing to comply. Days before a vote to hold them in contempt, the Clintons finally agreed to testify in February.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be fair, they did let other people give little shitty statements.
Speaker 4: They so did.
Speaker 3: That is something that Hillary specifically brought up during.
Speaker 4: Her deposition more than once.
Speaker 3: Yes, so let's start with Hillary's because that was the first one. In her opening statement, she said she had no knowledge of Jeffrey Epstein's criminal activities, did not ever recall incoun ding Jeffrey Epstein whatsoever, never flown on the plane or visited his island homes or offices. Glaine Maxwell dated a family friend around twenty ten named Ted Waite, who was a software developer. Waite brought Glaine to Hillary's Daughters of Chelsea's wedding as a plus one guest in twenty and ten, and Hillary says she was unaware of any criminal activity relating to Glayne Maxwell, specifically before her crimes republicly revealed a few years ago. Hillary was asked to recount the origin of the Clintown Foundation, which Hillary only joined the board of in twenty thirteen because she was busy serving in office. Hillary was asked about Glene Maxwell leading a breakout session on ocean conservation at a Clinton Global Initiative conference in twenty thirteen. He said that she was not involved in this selection process for those sessions, but that Glen Maxwell had been an internationally recognized ocean advocate around that time. Hillary refused to answer a question about whether her husband is a quote unquote smart guy, which.
Speaker 1: Was who asked that question?
Speaker 3: I forget, but I had that note written down some of these things I was watching pretty pretty late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what a great question. Hey, Hill, babe, is your husband a smart guy? Wow? Glad our tax dollars are funding such an important question.
Speaker 3: She said that her husband had a limited relationship with Epstein for a limited time, Yes used his airplane for Clinton Foundation trips, and this connection began and ended before any of Epstein's crimes were publicly revealed. Representative of Pat Fallon with the Republican Majority talked about how Jeffrey Epstein visited the White House seventeen times under the Clinton administration, this is mostly for White House Historical Association events and donated money to the White House Historical Association, but said that Epstein never visited under Trump or donated money to Trump. This could, in fact just be simply because the Trump admin You know, Trump came into office after Trump's relationship with Epstein fell through and Epstein was convicted of sex crimes.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: Trump got into office at twenty sixteen. Clinton was in office in the early nineties. Yeah, that's why Epstein was able to visit the White House for these public events as a regular citizen, but did not do so when Trump was president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, prior to Epstein's like first conviction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two thous eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pat found also tried to characterize a twenty thousand dollars donation to a joint campaign fund in the nineties as a donation to Hillary's presidential campaign fund. Many years later, he was called on this being obviously incorrect.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, that's so dumb.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of stuff like that, So a lot of small errors. Some of them may not have been arrows right, some of them may have been ways to make the transcript read a certain way if Hillary or the lawyers weren't able to catch something. But both Hillary and her team, but really mostly Hillary was really on it for this entire hearing like very sharp.
Speaker 1: This was peak Hillary. I feel like a lot of people, you know, for a lot of the like analysis online, I saw you know, a takeover and over again that that was like, why wasn't she like this when she ran for president?
Speaker 5: She was?
Speaker 1: This is this is.
Speaker 3: Hillary she was, and it's you know, it's impressive, but also a little bit unlikable. For if you do that, if you do that like all the time, right.
Speaker 1: If you're like that all the time, it's a little bit Oh, okay, I'm going to take a step back now. That's a lot, but you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll have we'll have more on her sort of like intellectual sharpness later.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's fiercely intelligent. Yeah, fiercely intelligent, and.
Speaker 4: That is that is that is on display for the entirety of this deposition.
Speaker 1: But I really hated the take where people were like, if she was like this when she ran for president, maybe we wouldn't be dealing with Donald Trump. Now. It's like, no, that's not what happened. No, this is who Hillary's been her entire adult life.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Hillary said that she never solicited funds for Jeffy Epstein, never had funds solicited on her behalf, and never invited Epstein to any political fundraisers. When asked about her own speculation on her husband, previous investigators, or the mind state of Jeffrey Epstein and Glen Maxwell, she could not answer, because that is speculation on other people's opinions or mind states. About an hour in Nancy Mace asked Hillary Clinton if she believes the Epstein files are quote unquote a vast right wing conspiracy.
Speaker 7: I think if they are fully released, as the Transparency Act requires, that would be fulfilling the responsibility of the Justice Department. But it appears that there have been many issues with the full release, so I'm not going to characterize it other than to say I think that's a well known fact.
Speaker 3: It is certainly an odd question to ask if the files themselves are a vast right wing conspiracy, and Hillary here just answered by talking about the issues that have come up with the full release of the Epstein files. After this, Hillary has asked about whether Jeffrey Epstein was one of the most prolific sex traffickers in the world and how the State Department worked to counter international sex trafficking.
Speaker 8: Would you say he's one of the world's most prolific sex track reckers.
Speaker 7: I don't know what to compare it to. There are terrible sex trafficking rings all over the world.
Speaker 8: And you were you said you were Secretary of State from two thousand and nine to twenty thirteen, and you state your agency prioritized im batting sex trafficking internationally. Correct, that's correct. During your time as Secretary of State, did you the State receive any intelligence cables or briefings mentioning Epstein's foreign travel, pedophile island, or his network of pedophiles and sex trafficks, Not that I am aware of. Now, how did you miss it? If he's I believe, one of the most prolific sex traffickers in the world, you were Secretary of State, how did you miss it?
Speaker 7: Well, that would have been a matter of the Justice Department, not the State Department.
Speaker 8: But in your opening statement, and your statements earlier. In your opening statement, you stated that Secretary of Rubio should be called to testify. You said that he has and the administration has quote abandoned survivors using the same logic. You were Secretary of State during a time period after Jeffrey Epstein was convicted of being a pedophile and soliciting children for sex. Why then, did you quote, using your own logic, abandoned survivors. What is the question?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 7: I followed her comment. First of all, we focused on whether there were laws that made sex trafficking, sexual slavery, domestic violence, other abuses of women on the books in countries. And then we tried to evaluate were those laws being implemented and were judges appropriately trained and briefed about how to implement those laws? Were governments taking them seriously? We looked at the broad institutional approach to these very serious abuses.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting exchange to me. Yeah, so Mace here doesn't really understand the role of the Justice Department versus the State Department. Yes, for the Justice Department investigates crimes committed in the United States, versus the State Department is this entity that pressures other countries to create or improve sex trafficking laws and doesn't really understand this difference. Right first to a part in Hillary's opening statement about how Rubio's shrunk a specific office to combat international sex trafficking, and she isn't quite able to like to understand how Hillary is critiquing that while also saying that the Justice Department mishandled the Epstein investigation while she was Secretary of State. It's this interesting just break in not really understanding how the government works. And this clip also shows like how sharp Hillary is being able to follow this line of questioning better than her own lawyers in some instances be able to actually like respond to what Mace is really asking.
Speaker 1: Notice that as well.
Speaker 3: Mace then continues to ask about how the US government handled Jeffrey Epstein's first criminal case, and this is how Clinton responded.
Speaker 8: Would you say the US government at that time, during this time period was appropriate with the way that it handled Epstein.
Speaker 7: I don't think that you could say that was true about any of the government's prosecutorial efforts, starting with the Southern District of Florida and alex Acosta and all those who basically gave him a sweetheart deal and then I think going up the chain, there was very little attention paid that should have been paid.
Speaker 10: But what we had.
Speaker 7: Laws on the books, they were not being implemented. But that was not within my purview because what we were looking at is what's the institutional structure and can we do more to make sure countries take it seriously? Our country had laws on the books, so this man was not held to account.
Speaker 8: You it was not in your purview when you were Secretary of State. Then why is it today in Secretary of Rubios?
Speaker 7: Because what's happened is that the office that was actually following what was going on around the world has been decimated. Seventy percent of the staff is gone. It's impossible to carry out the functions of that office if you don't have a critical number of people. So my question would be to Secretary Rubio, is there more that can be done out of time here?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, Nancy Mace, you suck, You suck.
Speaker 3: Pretty clear articulation there, Yeah from Secretary Clinton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I fear that like that. Nancy Mace spent most of this time trying to set Hillary up, and uh, I don't think she I don't think she succeeded.
Speaker 3: No, Hillary was then asked if she was quote unquote concerned when she sawt photos of her husband getting a back massage or in a hot tub and what went through her mind. Hillary refused to speculate on events in which she has no context for and was not there. We're going to go on a quick ad break now and then return to continue the discussion on the Clinton testimony.
Speaker 4: All right, we're back.
Speaker 3: I want to get a little bit into the background of this hearing some more so. When the Clintons finally agreed to testify in February, one of the things they pushed for was that the testimony take the form of public hearings broadcast live. Hillary addressed Terman Comra online saying, quote, you love to talk about transparency. There's nothing more transparent than a public hearing cameras on unquote. There was a brief back and forth negotiation on whether the depositions would be open to the public. Ultimately they were not, but they were recorded on camera and transcribed for later release. Part of the terms for this private hearing this deposition was that press and photographers were not allowed inside the room, and that deposition materials would only be released in full through official channels after sensitive information like staffer names president, the deposition and off the record exchanges between lawyers were properly removed or redacted. At about an hour and twenty minutes into Hillary's deposition, the Clinton staff learned that one of the Republican Committee members leaked a photo of Hillary to right wing influencer Benny Johnson Crazy, who posted the picture and wrote, quote breaking the first image of Hillary Clinton testifying under oath about Jeffrey Epstein to the Republican Oversight Committee. This is the first time Hillary has had to answer real questions about Epstein. Clinton does not look happy. Photo provided by Representative Lauren Bobert.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 1: Honestly, there's actually nobody more unprofessional than Lauren Bobert.
Speaker 3: Will get into her unprofessional conduct later in this hearing as well. Great, but here's a clip of Mclinton team realizing that a photo has been leaked.
Speaker 10: I have another photos that are being released of the Secretary as she is testifying from inside this room. Can you please advise me as to whether or not that's permissible and consistent with the rules, particularly given that we have asked for public hearing. There are photos that are being released of the secretary, she is testifying. Can you please explain.
Speaker 7: How we've done with this? If you guys are doing that, I am done. You can hold me a contempt from now till the cows come home.
Speaker 2: This is just typical behavior.
Speaker 10: Oh, for heaven, I would like to understand how that's permissible for the hearing was It doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: We all are abiding by the same rules.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, I would like to take a break at this movie.
Speaker 1: I'd like to have I've done for now, fair up the record.
Speaker 4: Pretty shocking stuff.
Speaker 1: There's no defense for that. That's that's wild and uh I would walk out as well.
Speaker 3: When they went back on the record, Chairman Comer discussed how he advised all members that no photos of the deposition were to be released and that an instant like this would not happen again. Lauren Barber later told reporters that she took the picture before a testimony actually began, and that she checked with committee staff about using the photo.
Speaker 4: No follow up on.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, that chance, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 3: After returning from off the record, the minority, the Democrats, asked about the Justice Department illegally withholding certain files related to the investigation from public disclosure. Hillary says that this behavior by the Justice Department deserves the most thorough investigation that Congress could carry out. This will be a longer clip, about two minutes, but there's some good information inside.
Speaker 7: I think from the very beginning, the behavior of the Attorney General and her staff has demonstrated either a gross incompetence, which is bothersome because they are the keepers of information that should be evaluated for law enforcement purposes, or a clear cover up because they are protecting the President and others. Either one of those should be the focus of this committee to try to get to the bottom. If they are incompetent and they are incapable of complying with the law that the Congress passed, we need to know that because they are falling down on the job. They have an FBI director is more interested in drinking beer in a hockey dressing room after our team won the Olympics rather than being responsive and complying with the law as it has been promulgated. So I don't think it's unfair to say that given the sequencing of the events, starting with the way that President Trump made the release of the files a key element of his twenty twenty four campaign, the promise that he and then his attorney general made that the files would be released, then a walking back of that as they began to look at the files, an ignoring of what they had promised, including that they had a client list on the desk of the attorney general. Reasonable people would have to assume they are engaged in a massive cover up, which is infuriating as an American, as a citizen, all of us should be, regardless of party, wondering what are they hiding?
Speaker 1: The thing says I watched sports more than calling it a hockey dressing room.
Speaker 4: Dressing room, I was.
Speaker 1: Like Hillary, up with the times.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: Hillary goes on to mention how the prosecutor the original Epstein case, alex Acosta, was not asked to any questions by Republicans during his Epstein deposition. About half an hour later, Hillary and the Majority go into about a three minute exchange.
Speaker 4: The thing this is between Hillary and Nancy Mace.
Speaker 3: About Howard Lutnick, Trump's Commerce secretary, who's frequently named in the files, whom Hillary knew from being a New York senator during the nine to eleven attacks where Lutnick lost the highest number of employees out of anyone that day, like over six hundred. So Hillary was asked how she knows Lutnik. Hillary tries to respond by saying how they met, which was the aftermath of nine to eleven. Mace claims that this is like a distraction from answering the question and that Hillary's trying to garner sympathy. Things get very heated over over the course these like three minutes, as they like argue about, you know, if she's actually answering the question. Mace talks about being a survivor herself and how she's trying to, you know, get the truth out of these hearings. Hillary responds by talking about how she's been very sympathetic to Mace's situation and respects the work that she's doing in the Epstein hearings, but is trying to answer the question specifically about Lutnik. It's a pretty loud and contentious three minutes. About two minutes after that, Republicans made Hillary read emails from the Epstein files.
Speaker 7: Thank you for a fun night.
Speaker 8: Your littlest girl was a little naughty.
Speaker 11: How does that make you feel?
Speaker 12: It makes me sick?
Speaker 11: If you can also read the EFTA zero zero eight seven eight four to two to one. This is also another email. Can you just please provide the context.
Speaker 13: It's an email to Jeffrey Epstein if you could just read the context of what it is.
Speaker 7: Of course, the O H Jesus, ohio, Jesus, I'm coming trick.
Speaker 13: And the just the main body of the context of email.
Speaker 7: Said that she felt God's presence next her when she was in bed. She knows that Jesus watches over her and he helped save her life.
Speaker 11: Whoops, How does that make you feel?
Speaker 8: It's bizarre. I don't know what it means.
Speaker 13: The reason I asked you to read both of these is because these emails were both sent by co conspirators that were then given the plea deals and now have been given victim status. Both of these women were also named an FBI document, and they're on a number of other emails.
Speaker 1: What does that have to do with Hillary?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the exact thing that I wrote down. This has no relevance to Clinton at all. This doesn't relate to her.
Speaker 1: They wanted soundbites of her reading weird things.
Speaker 3: It's a humiliation ritual, right, It's yeah, there's no reason for them to do this. That the majority just go on to ask Hillary if the DOJ should reevaluate the plea deals of these two people, something that Hillary has no expertise for, Like, that's what she's here to testify on her own knowledge relating to Epstein and Maxwell. This is a complete non sequitor. This doesn't relate to her in any way. It's just grosse. You're just you're just getting a woman to read the Epstein files for your own entertainment. Yes, it's disgusting. Yes, I have a few clips here. This is about three clips about her intellectual kind of ruthlessness and the ways that the questioners in this committee were trying to get sir naces out of her and she was able to either correct them or navigate in an interesting way. I'll start with this first one at three and a half hours in gosh, you've watched a lot.
Speaker 14: In twenty fourteen, Epstein met with William Burns, who was then a senior State Department official and later a CIA director.
Speaker 15: Excuse me, could you say what year that was?
Speaker 16: Again?
Speaker 17: In twenty fourteen.
Speaker 10: Twenty fourteen, he met with William Burns.
Speaker 14: Epstein met with William Burns as as a Secretary of State at that time.
Speaker 17: Were you aware of that?
Speaker 7: I wasn't secretary of state in twenty fourteen?
Speaker 17: Okay? Were you aware of them? I was an aster burds.
Speaker 3: Okay, embarrassing stuff. Yeah, she was not secretary state in twenty fourteen. She served from twenty nine to two US and thirteen. Asking a question about if she was informed of something, well, secretary of state in twenty fourteen, she simply was not there. She was not secretary of State. The people in this committee should know this. They should know when she actually served as Secretary of State. It's embarrassing. They continued to get like dates wrong throughout this hearing that this guy who's asking this question is his representative, Eric Berlinson. He also mischaracterized Chelsea's wedding as Hillary's wedding, saying that Glen Maxwell attended Hillary's wedding and that Glen Maxwell vacationed with Chelsea after the wedding. This event that he's referencing, this vacation was actually a year before the wedding, and who has a nine Hillary and her lawyers had to correct all of that stuff. Specifically, Eric Berlinson did not seem to know what he was talking about. At all in this hearing, just constantly got little dates and facts wrong.
Speaker 1: That gives me pause for a number of reasons. But it just makes me think about, you know, if they were actually talking to somebody that they needed to deeply press, that they would not get the results needed. It gives me a major pause that they have lack of confidence in this committee to do their jobs.
Speaker 2: But it's just.
Speaker 1: Frankly embarrassing that these are elected officials and they can't even get their dates right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is an extremely serious matter, and these are the people doing oversight.
Speaker 1: This is not a laughing matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are totally incompetent.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Lauren Barber then asked a very leading question about when Hillary learned her husband was spending time with a registered sex offender.
Speaker 18: Missus Clinton, when did you first learn that your husband was spending time extensively with a registered sex offender?
Speaker 7: He did not after he was convicted, years after Bill stopped having any.
Speaker 18: Were there any activities that raised any red flags to think that he could be charged of sex crimes during the time?
Speaker 7: Are you at has awareness yes, of Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 18: Of any red flags being brought to your awareness, to your family's awareness, while your husband was spending time with Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 7: I have no recollection of anyone bringing any red flags to me.
Speaker 3: They continued to ask about her husband, and she just had to She just had to keep reiterating it, like the committee will have a chance to question her husband tomorrow, Like they could ask him about his relationship with this Epstein tomorrow. There's no use in her speculating about her husband's relationship. They can just ask him, literally in less than twenty four hours. But they just kept they just kept going.
Speaker 1: Classic No.
Speaker 3: One of the more bizarre moments, they quoted Epstein referring to Hillary being prettier in person. And this exchange is interesting because of the way it suggests the committee's interpretation of certain statements made by Epstein, when I think they probably infer something to the opposite bizarre.
Speaker 1: It's like weird misogyny going on.
Speaker 18: So regarding the Epstein files, there are many files where Jeffrey Epstein seems to speak as though he does know you personally. In one file FTA zero zero six five seven one one five, mister Epstein is commenting and he quotes, Hey, Hillary.
Speaker 8: Clinton is much prettier in person.
Speaker 18: This was Tuesday, September twentieth, twenty eleven, and then another Congressman.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to object to that.
Speaker 19: Commress, can we see the documents because we.
Speaker 20: Don't think that we would get that present.
Speaker 8: I don't think the documents that you're not pretty.
Speaker 18: Jeffrey epstein Is also commented that meetings with Hillary are not easily discreet. Has he ever connected someone to meet with you?
Speaker 8: Not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was my first time seeing that clip. That's so funny. First of all, very funny. Second of all, this is not what this is supposed to be. Why are you bringing that up? What does that have to do with anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that they're trying to establish some sort of relationship between Hillary and Epstein.
Speaker 1: Purely, but it doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: And to me, these exchanges just infer that, you know, Jeffy Epstein had seen Hillary in person before, likely at these White House Historical Association events where she sees you know, hundreds of people who like walk by, right.
Speaker 4: But then Epstein.
Speaker 3: Himself like expressed that it's actually difficult to get a private meeting with her. So this doesn't prove that they had any actual, like personal knowledge of each other like mutually. Obviously Epstein knew who she was. She was the first Lady of the United States.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: About ten minutes later, and this is getting to the end of this hearing about, like you know, four hours in, Hillary just kind of goes off a little bit after just being asked the same question again and again and again, and then also demonstrates like how much she actually knows about this committee's investigation.
Speaker 2: You have said that you've never been to mister Epstein's island.
Speaker 17: Is that correct?
Speaker 7: You know what, I am so tired of answering that question. If you have one sentilla of evidence to the contrary, put it forward. I have never been on his island period. I've never been in his homes, his offices, his anything. I don't know how many times you have to say the same thing over and over and over again, and I just am struggling with the relevance of all of this.
Speaker 6: But no, I never have been.
Speaker 15: And based off that response, I would include, you've never been to mister Epstein's Manhattan town home.
Speaker 5: I have not his New Mexico ranch.
Speaker 2: No, I have not his Palm Beach residence. No, I have not his Paris apartment.
Speaker 17: Did know he had one.
Speaker 6: I haven't been there, you know.
Speaker 7: I also find it very interesting because I went back and looked at the transcripts of all of your other depositions, and none of the Republicans asked a single question to any witness about Jeffrey Epstein or any question that would help provide answers for his victims.
Speaker 3: Hillary goes on to say that Republican Chairman Comer did ask Attorney General bar not about Epstein, but if he was aware of clinton involvement in the twenty sixteen Russia collusion invent instigation again in a deposition about the DOJ's handling of the Epstein files. Completely relevant, completely relevant to the to the matter at hand. And if these people want to pretend that they actually take, you know, what happened to these victims seriously, then they would have a focused, focused effort on the actual subject, not all these wild partisan threads. And I'm now going to discuss before before we before we go and break again about how this hearing kind of threwout it. But I've condensed down into one section, turned towards the weird multiple times in ways that are sometimes you know, relevant, but oftentimes not earlier. In this hearing, Hillary stated that she had never been briefed on whether Jeffrey Epstein had foreign intelligence ties while serving in office, but that speculation that Jeffrey Epstein could have been a foreign intel asset is a quote unquote fruitful area of investigation, although she was not made aware of any connection of this sort to well Scretary of State. She was also asked about a passport belonging to Epstein which bore a different name.
Speaker 13: This is actually a passport that was given. The individual's name is Marcus Robert Fortinelli. Do you think that this is a sign or a telltale sign of intelligence operations and pseudonames.
Speaker 7: I can't speculate.
Speaker 15: I don't know, okay.
Speaker 13: Victims have stated to this committee, both Democrats and Republicans, that during Epstein's time, during his day camp dreals what I'll call it, that he was also an active communication with Bush's CIA director. They also had stated that he had activities to Russia Israel. Eni Ron, given your status not just as the first Lady but also in your secretary position, have you ever been targeted by any of these countries as a means of a foreign intelligence gathering operation. I you were of potential vulnerabilities.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was targeted by Russia in the twenty sixteen campaign.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's.
Speaker 7: Pretty well known. What about Israel, Ari Rand, I don't know about either Israel or Iran?
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 13: Do you believe that Epstein was running potentially honeypot operation with intelligence gathering operations to collect information on how high profile individuals, both Democrat and Republican the United.
Speaker 8: States in an effort to sway are foreign policies. Is it possible.
Speaker 7: I have no direct knowledge, but I think it's one of the areas your committee should investigate. Do you think it's possible, Well, it's certainly possible. It's a tried and true technique of certain intelligence agencies.
Speaker 11: Do you believe that he was using honeypot's an effort to.
Speaker 8: I can't speculate.
Speaker 1: I don't know what This is such a weird use of their time.
Speaker 3: Later, she said that she had no reason to believe that personally she was the subject of an intel gathering operation relating to Jeffrey Epstein or Glene Maxwell. And then right after she was asked if she was ever denied access to information about you, apse, that's an unidentified aerial phenomenon. Hilary said that she was never denied access because she never asked for access. When questioned, she said that she believes the American public deserves access to such topics, subject to national security implications. This bizarre off topic line of questioning continued nearly an hour later into the hearing.
Speaker 14: So I'm going to begin with some lighthearted different questions, and you're welcome to ignore them or if you want to.
Speaker 17: But while I have you here, I just have to ask.
Speaker 14: So, when your husband was president, it is Lawrence Rockefeller had an effort to try to disclose UFOs UAPs When you were running for president, John Podesta publicly stated that you would disclose these files with if given the chance, if you had been president. Are you pleased to see that these files may be disclosed?
Speaker 7: Finally, I am pleased, As I say, I think they have to be carefully and I so that no national security information is disclosed.
Speaker 19: But this is an.
Speaker 8: Issue of real.
Speaker 7: Importance to so many people, and I think whatever can be disclosed should be disclosed.
Speaker 14: Was there a program that specifically that that was referencing that you were aware of?
Speaker 7: I was not, as you mentioned, John Podesta, who was one of my advisors, was deeply interested in the issue, and if I had been elected, I certainly would have listened to his advice.
Speaker 17: Well, thank you for indulgence on that.
Speaker 3: Very odd, completely off topic, no relevance to the actual subject of inquiry of A few minutes later, Hillary asked a clarifying question about why UFOs were brought up.
Speaker 7: It's a sort of like off subject. But didn't you all require in the latest Defense Authorization that the UFO information asked about what?
Speaker 13: They ripped it out?
Speaker 17: They killed it.
Speaker 8: Oh I thought.
Speaker 7: That had gone through.
Speaker 17: That was my amendment and it got ripped out.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, well you've just I didn't know that, So thank you for enlightening me.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, they've been killing that.
Speaker 3: So if alien disclosure questions weren't bad enough and you know, disrespectful to victims of epstein and sex trafficking.
Speaker 4: It did get worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: And we will get into the worse after this at break.
Speaker 4: All right, we're back. At nearly the four.
Speaker 3: Hour mark into Hillary Clinton's deposition, Lauren Bobert started asking about conspiracy theories.
Speaker 18: In past public statements, as in twenty seventeen speeches and interviews, you described pizza Gate as a baseless conspiracy theory, alleging you and others ran a child sex trafficking ring from a Washington Pizzeri based pizzeri basement. Have you reviewed any twenty twenty six Epstein files that were released that you believe reference or relate to those specific twenty sixteen claims. Regarding the Podesta emails comet ping pong pizza used as code, possibly, I'm.
Speaker 14: Sorry disasting her about whether she's reviewed emails in that Epsteine file was.
Speaker 17: Related to the wacky Pizzagate excuse.
Speaker 18: You could characterize it however you want. I just would like to know if she's familiar with any of them.
Speaker 10: So your question is about whether or not she has reviewed any emails in the Epstein release files about Pizzagate.
Speaker 7: Correct, Pizzagate was totally made up. It was an outrageous allegation that ended up hurting a number of people, that caused a deranged young man to show up with his assault rifle and shoot up a local pizzeria. I can't believe you're even referencing it. You should be there.
Speaker 18: There are connections to the language.
Speaker 7: Believe there are.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you have believe at.
Speaker 4: It completely unhitched.
Speaker 1: But why are we doing this? I have complete lack of faith in this committee. This is offensive to survivors of Epstein, and this is getting us no relevant information to the Epstein probe as they call it. This is ridiculous, This is infammatory. I mean, I expect nothing less from Loan and Bober, But you know, it's just it's insane and embarrassing.
Speaker 3: It's insane, and like there has been a resurgence of, you know, Pizzagate related conspiracy theories, people talking about Pizzagate since the files had been released, Since people can create their own patterns, right by selectively honing in on words or symbols which allow them to overlook what's right in front of their nose. Right, all of the very clear connections laid out in the Epstein files, those can be ignored, yes, and instead you focused on these like coded messages hidden everywhere, hidden in the backgrounds of videos, people carrying pizza boxes into the Clinton deposition, all this kind of stuff. It's it's it allows them to miss the very the very clear things that are actually outlined in the files. It is, you know, one of the negative side effects of, you know, of files like this being released is that it allows a lot of points of interest to be honed in on by people charting wildly conspiratorial matrices.
Speaker 1: I just don't even know how somebody like Lauren Barbert's on a committee like this, or an elected official or you know, employed.
Speaker 3: Frankly, Hillary went on to say I expected a lot of interesting questions today, but Pizzagate was not on the list. Lauren Bobert replied, that's okay, we're asking all sorts of things here, okay. A few minutes later, Bobert returned with even more Pizzagate questions, and things escalated to the point where they had to go off the record.
Speaker 4: That's lord, are.
Speaker 18: You aware of any files that were on Anthony Wiener's laptop and a folder that was titled Insurance Life Insurance with a ZIP file titled.
Speaker 9: Chairman.
Speaker 15: Is this within the scope?
Speaker 6: Mister chairman?
Speaker 10: Chairman rules that it's not based on what you said in the public hearing, Is this within the scope? For a moment, mister chairman, is this within the scope?
Speaker 3: So you couldn't quite make out what Bobart was referencing there. She was talking about the frazzle drip conspiracy theory that alleged Anthony Wiener possessed a video of Hillary Clinton conducting a satanic ritual murder of a child, cutting off this child's face to wear as a mask, to fill the child's blood with adrenochrome to be harvested.
Speaker 4: This is like twenty eighteen conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Theory, one of the more like graphic and gross aspects of QAnon. And here Robert is just openly asking Hillary Clinton about frazzle drip by name, completely inappropriate, has no bearing on the investigation. It's an insult to actual victims of child sex trafficking. So this whole conspiratorial angle of the Hillary Clinton deposition made up a significant chunk. Another chunk that made up a significant portion of time is just Clinton kind of advising and the committee members, both on the Republican and Democrat side, like asking for her advice on how to conduct their own investigation. She advised that they should follow Senator Widens compiled Treasury data on Epstein's financial transactions, and that that data should be subpoened from the Treasury Department. She was asked about how they could determine if Jeffrey Epstein was a spy. Hillary advised them to send document requests to subpoena the CIA, the Department of National Intelligence counterintelligence departments in the DOJ, saying to quote unquote, cast a wide net. She suggested cooperating with UK investigations into former Prince Andrew and trying to see if Israel will cooperate in sharing information regarding the investigation. Finally, Hillary suggested to Chairman James Comer that he should advise on how laws could be changed to prevent future abuse based on the committee's knowledge of Jeffrey Epstein's manipulation techniques and mode of operation. But there was like significant chunk of at least like, you know, thirty minutes where she was essentially being asked or advising the committee on how to do their own job. Just due to the sheering confidence that has been displayed and the clips that I've selected here.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't really have anything else to say besides that it's just like.
Speaker 3: Pathotic, yeah, I mean, and most of the interesting stuff is in the Hillary Hillary Clinton Yeah. A bill was deposed the next day. But for some of the logistics regarding this hearing, a source told The New York Post, so take that as you will sure that the Clinton team demanded specific quote unquote beauty lighting and camera.
Speaker 1: Positions relatable life fear to get.
Speaker 3: The most flattering angle of Hillary's face, and brought white tablecloths to bounce the overhead lighting onto the bottom of her face and into my shadows.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pictures of the whole room also showed that the Clinton team was the only ones with these like nice orange upholstered chairs. The rest of the chairs were just like regular black folding chairs. The New York Post contains this little tidbit that the customized blue paneled backdrop was developed by a local specialized vendor within about seven hours after Clinton's team concluded it did not like the vibe of the original black curtains in the background unquote. So they like went in saw this, you know, white table with black curtains. They thought it looked too much like a criminal interrogation or or like a quote unquote hostage situation is what's quoted in the Post article, as opposed to like an official congressional deposition, you know, like an official government venue. So they got like a local carpenter to make this blue paneled backdrop in like a few hours to put behind Hillary. And that's just an interesting insight into like the thought process of the Clinton team regarding the optics of this.
Speaker 4: Hearing shop local.
Speaker 3: So let's briefly go through some of the sections on Bill. Bill started by saying that they should not have questioned Hillary. Quote, but I do think you should be talking to me. You should have called me. I did take those playing trips with him. You have a right to ask those questions.
Speaker 4: Unquote. He said that quote.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with you, I'll be eighty eight years old if I lived my next birthday. I don't remember everything that happened twenty four years ago, but I do remember some things, and I'll tell you what I remember the best that I can un quote. When asked when he first met Jeffy Epstein, Bill referred to a photo of him shaking Epstein's hand in nineteen ninety three at a White House Historical Association event. But Bill said that he doesn't remember that, but this photo does exist. He shook a lot of people's hands, does not remember everyone he meets. He first remembers meeting Jeffrey Epstein for a Clinton Foundation plane trip in two thousand and two. He said he was connected with Epstein through someone named Larry Summers, who told Bill that Jeffrey Epstein made a large donation about ten million dollars to brain research and was a quote unquote information hungry person. Summers said that Epstein wanted to talk with Bill about economics and politics and offered to take Bill his staff and his secret service detail on Clinton Foundation trips for global humanitarian aid. So Bill saw this as a way to drive the price down for these trips. He took the last one of these flights in two thousand and three. When asked why this relationship ended, Bill said that the AIDS program.
Speaker 4: It was a humanitarian aid program to help with AIDS.
Speaker 3: That this AIDS program, you know, took off and more people that Bill knew better offered to help, and Jeffrey did not seem as interested in the AIDS program, so they kind of just naturally drifted apart. Bill characterized the relationship as friendly, but didn't know him well enough to be considered a friend, and so that he never talked about witness or participated in anything sexual. Relating to Jeffrey Epstein and young women and girls, Bill said he learned of Epstein's crimes in two thousand and eight. Bill said he had no indication Epstein was trafficking women. Quote There's nothing that I saw when I was around him that made me realize he was trafficking women.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: Bill was asked about if he communicated with a long list of people regarding Epstein.
Speaker 4: This was kind of a weirdly framed question.
Speaker 3: It was have you communicated with any of these people about Jeffrey Epstein. Bill had a hard time kind of understanding the nature of this question. It is kind of oddly phrased. Hillary was asked the same one. They just read a list of names. Bill recounted if he knew the person or not, and the lawyers had to specify, like, oh no, they're asking if you communicated with them about Epstein, not not if you knew them. So it kind of got some confusing responses.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, both Hillary and Bill laughed at the mention of nom Chomsky. Hill said that he never communicated with Chomsky and that Chomsky quote wasn't a big fan of mine.
Speaker 4: He thought I was too conservative.
Speaker 1: Fuck off, Nome, fuck off, nome crazy.
Speaker 3: Bill did testify that he thought that someone relating to law enforcement would ask him about Epstein in two thousand and eight when the news about Epstein's crimes came out. Considering that Epstein let Bill use the plane but no one ever did hmm. He said he never suspected until agency connections with Epstein and was at the time unaware of Epstein's visits to the White House while Bill was president, and there has only since been informed of this. In preparation for this testimony, Okay, Bill was asked about a New York Times article claiming to expound on Bill and Epstein's relationship in the nineties, characterized as chummy, which Bill denies. He said that he didn't even know Epstein really during this time, even though they may have been at the same events. He was asked about being asked to write a personal note to Jeffrey Epstein's mother. Bill said that he never met Jeffrey Epstein's mother and that he wrote a lot of notes to a lot of people that he did not know.
Speaker 4: He was unsure of who asked him to write this note.
Speaker 3: He was also asked about this passport appearing to belong to Epstein bearing a different name, with the questioner asserting that they believe Jeffrey Epstein was an intelligence operative running a honeypot against the president. When later asked if he believes that he was targeted, Bill says that it's possible. The lawyers objected this based on speculation, but Bill says he doesn't know if he was targeted but would be surprised. Refers to Jeffrey Epstein as a quote unquote vacuum cleaner of information but was not overtly manipulative early on, saying that Epstein mostly asked about derivatives trading and stock market regulation. Bill was asked if you ever had contact with someone named Chante Davies who was a quote unquote flight attendant on Epstein's plane. Bill confirms that he did, and confirmed that a neck rub took place once with Chante Davies, but denied he ever went to the island.
Speaker 1: I don't know something about neck rub and Bill Clinton just mix messed.
Speaker 16: On my hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He later says that he was unaware of the abuse happening to Chante Davies and says that he quote wish Chante had told me I liked her, but said that he did not think there was anything unusual. He said that massages on which people's planes and boats weren't uncommon. Was never aware of anyone under the age of eighteen all these flights, and if there were, that would have made him uncomfortable. He specified that Secret Service was with him for every single trip. He quote never signed off secret Service protection. He talked about specifically this neck rub incident, saying that he had a sore neck during one of the legs of these Clinton Foundation Aid trips and received a massage this one time.
Speaker 4: That's what he claimed.
Speaker 3: He was asked about the note in Jeffrey Epstein's fiftieth birthday book, Bill said that his own staff asked him to write a letter for the book, specifying that he sends out hundreds of birthday letters every year to friends or people he's only met a few times. A regular occurrence, he's asked to read a section of the letter that people had a hard time transcribing exactly, which makes a reference to Epstein having made errors in his life, and he was asked whether this errors referred to sex crimes. Bill said, no, in the life of someone fifty years old, they're gonna make mistakes. It was a throwaway line in one section of this very short letter. I don't think it's super relevant. Now around this time when they're reading from this letter is where there's this viral clip of Bill pulling back a copy of a photo from his lawyers, like while smiling. This is circulated a lot. It looks like he's no, like recounting like good memories or something. The piece paper he's pulling back is actually just a copy of a New York Times article. It's not a picture of him and Epstein. It's not a picture of memories. There may be a small photo framed in the picture included in this New York Times article. It's being passed around, but it's not like he's like flipping through like a year book of like a good moments with friends and like, you know, happily recounting. I think this this little clip's been decontextualized.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to defend Bill Clinton here, no, but I'm adding context for what's actually happening in this hearing. And his lawyers are passing around a copy of a New York Times article which he's being questioned about, and that's the context for that clip.
Speaker 1: And like this clip went pretty viral, and so I was talking about it actually with my mom my mom, and my mom's first reaction held some weight with me. She was like, that's just Bill Clinton's face.
Speaker 4: He's kind of this happy, goofy guy.
Speaker 1: Like he's generally like a smiley guy. And you know, I think that makes sense contextually. Here again not defending Bill Clinton, but yeah.
Speaker 3: I did want to play one clip about Trump. Bill was asked if the committee should talk to Donald Trump, since it's a name appears more frequently in the thousand almost any other person. Bill says that's up to the committee and mentions an instance where he talked with Trump about Epstein on a golf course for a charity tournament around two US and two to TWOISM three, and they talked about Epstein because Trump somehow knew that Bill had flown on the plane. But besides this incident, he had no other conversations with Trump about Epstein or Maxwell.
Speaker 9: The day I was there, he would typically Donald Trump would come out and play a few holes with us, and he somehow knew I had flown in Jeffrey Epstein's aircraft. And he said, you know, we had some great times together over the years, but we fell out all because of a real estate deal. And he said I'm sorry it up. That's all.
Speaker 21: Do you recall whether President Trump was the first one to affirmatively bring up the subject of Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 9: No, but I'd be shocked if I did. I just don't do that, you know.
Speaker 21: Do you recall whether President Trump elaborated at all on the great times that he had with Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 9: No, and I took at the time. I took. No, I didn't put any you know, sexual spin on it.
Speaker 21: And as far as you recall, President Trump characterized the nature of the ending of their friendship as being solely due to the real estate.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, here Bill recounts that Trump's reason for breaking with Epstein was due to a real estate deal, not the poaching of employees at mar A Lago, as alternatively reported. Right the minority, the Democrats referred to statements from three Jeffrey Epstein victims in statements, including Bill in some way. Starting with someone named Maria Farmer, an Epstein employee who first reported abuse to the NYPDNFBI in nineteen ninety six. She claimed that she acknowledge that Bill visited Epstein's house multiple times. Bill denies this. Someone named Virginia Roberts Druffey remarked that she had knowledge that Bill was at Epstein's island. Bill responded by saying that ultimately this person quote unquote reached a different conclusion, and den I declaimed that he flew in a helicopter with Glen Maxwell to the island. The committee member referenced a diary entry as the piece of information asserting that Bill was on the island. Bill's lawyers asked about the dates for this entry so that they could determine whether Bill was in a different part of the world around this time. But this gets moved on pretty quick. They briefly bring up this picture of Bill in a hot tub in Brunei. He says that he was staying at a hotel during one of these AIDS trips and briefly went to a hot tub. Other people were present from this trip secret service. That's about a bizarre painting of Bill Clinton wearing Monica Lewinsky's blue dress found in Jeffrey Epstein's apartment. Bill said he'd never seen it before. Was asked to speculate why this painting was made. Lawyers said that the committee can.
Speaker 4: Ask the artist.
Speaker 3: Lauren barbart I was on a very poor line of questioning regarding a conversation transcert between two people, and this line of questioning requires deposition to go off the record to figure out what exactly she's talking about. Billa and she responds to a question stating that he never felt that he owed to Jeffrey Epstein any favors and never participated in any quote unquote to Island Orgies since he never traveled to the US of virgin Islands with Jeffrey Epstein. About two hours in Bill Clinton is asked if he thinks Jeffrey Epstein killed himself, something they never asked.
Speaker 4: Hillary.
Speaker 20: I'd just like.
Speaker 18: To ask you personally and directly, do you believe that Jeffrey Epstein killed himself?
Speaker 10: Are you asking him to speculate on how mister Epstein died?
Speaker 18: I am asking what miss the President thinks, So you're asking his opinion, mister President, was your friend Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 10: Clasifying him as a friend who he has testified that he was a friend in a letter he said he was friendly, but not you've asked for his test.
Speaker 18: As your president. Do you believe that Jeffrey Epstein was suicidal? Do you know was he ever suicide.
Speaker 17: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I only know what the medical founding was. I think maybe he finally got caught.
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I've accepted it my own mom.
Speaker 18: I don't know what happened, Miss President. What did you accept that he killed himself or that he did not?
Speaker 9: But he did?
Speaker 17: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, none of us know.
Speaker 17: We weren't there.
Speaker 8: Miss President has been an honor, Thank.
Speaker 22: You, thank you.
Speaker 1: Why would you ask him that? That makes no sense?
Speaker 3: I mean again, this is Lauren Bobber, the same person asking about pizza Gate. She's trying to yeah, donkey in as many of these conspiracy theory questions as she can, because that's that's like who she is, right, she has she she is a conspiracy theorist herself. She made not a characteristic that way. But she's trying to, you know, go off a checklist of like epic owns against the evil child eating Clinton's A few other few other small notes that I think are interesting. Bill was asked about emails being sent to Glene Maxwell by one of his assistants, and Bill says that he never sent these emails and he's only ever sent two emails in his life, which I do believe I can too.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh Bill Wow.
Speaker 3: Bill's asked about a statement that Epstein made saying that Bill quote unquote likes them young. Bill Lawyers asked, you know if Bill's being asked to speculate on Jeffrey Epstein's mind. Bill says that this isn't true, that he quote unquote likes them young and never went to the island again. Mace later asks if it's unusual for a quote unquote sitting president to receive a massage. Bill Sawyer has had to argue back and forth because Bill was not a sitting president during the time where this neck massage incident occurred. Bill's once again asked if he was the target of an intel operation. He says, I doubt it. There was then an extended argument between Mace and Lawyer's the reference to Daily Beast reporting on a statement Bill made after Jeffrey Epstein's to as a nineteen arrest, mischaracterizing two instances where Jeffrey Epstein visited the Clinton office and Bill once visited Jeffrey Epstein's New York ampartment, which he later remarked Jeffrey Epstein was not even present for and Nancy Mace kept asking if Bill lied about only meeting Jeffrey Epstein at these two times based on the phrasing of the Daily Beast article, But the full statement that the Daily Beast was quoting from also lists the four plane trips, which contained a total of seventeen stops. The Beast article just mischaracterized this as only being two incidents, and Mace was referring to the article, not the actual original statement. That's resulted in a pretty extensive argument. This leads us to the final clip that I'll play, which I think is kind of the only interesting question across the nine hours of testimony, The only question I think is actually kind of interesting and worthwhile, and it's not actually followed up on in any substantial way. Nacy Basica asks why the Clinton's still associated with Gleade Maxwell after Jeffrey Epstein's first conviction, knowing that Maxwell was one of Epstein's closest associates.
Speaker 9: First of all, when the wedding occurred, she was with Ted White, and she was for several more years.
Speaker 17: We did not know.
Speaker 9: When Epstein was arrested that she was still involved with him. I think that clears a lot of this up. We didn't know, and I don't want all of me to get we're all getting in a lad. There's a logical explanation. We didn't know, and I'm sorry for what she did and what she allowed her like to become, and now she's let them with it.
Speaker 3: They do not follow up on this at all, the fact that the Clinton's, knowing that Maxwell was like Epstein's number two guy, spent a peaston amount of time with on these four playing trips, the two US and two to two US and three on these humanitarian aid Clinton Foundation trips, you know, a lot of time with Glaine and Epstein. The committee did not follow up on why they continued to associate even loosely, like very loosely, with Glaine after the two estate conviction. Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable question to have, and it just doesn't even get focused on very much. Instead, they started talking about this report from an Epstein victim about Bill Clinton allegedly walking into the offices of Vanity Fair and threatening them to not write sex trafficking articles about Jeffrey Epstein, something that Bill obviously denies, and there would be other witnesses for this event. But like this, this question about the Clinton's extended relationship with Glaine Maxwell after the first conviction is one of like the very last questions asked. It takes them nine hours to get there. Yeah, they don't even follow up on it, and it just kind of ends very very flaccid.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to the survivors, Like you're not getting any kind of justice. This committee is incompetent, embarrassing, and repugnant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that kind of sums up the hearing, all of the hearings they were inconfident, embarrassing, and repugnant, really spending more time on weird conspiracy theories than asking like new.
Speaker 4: Questions on Pizzagate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like they asked Hillary and Bill basically the same two questions over and over again, giving the same answers, wasting hours and hours of time. The only new questions they asked are these insane conspiracy ones. It's it's embarrassing, it does not hold any relevance to the investigation, and it's nine hours of my life I'll never get back.
Speaker 20: Yep.
Speaker 3: Well that does it for us here at it could happen here. We'll keep following some of these, some of these hearings and depositions as this continues. I know there was new FBI documents about witness statements regarding President Trump released as I was writing this, like last night, and we'll probably be talking about those in executive disorder and later on throughout our coverage.
Speaker 20: Bye bye, Welcome to.
Speaker 4: It could happen here a podcast where the economy is falling apart a new and exciting ways faster that I can write about it. I am your host, Mialong. Welcome to what has turned into a kind of emergency? Is the economy Collapsing episode? This episode was originally supposed to be about tariffs, but while I was writing the tariff episode, a bunch of shit happened, like we invaded or run and Coast b which is the leading Korean stock market index, had its largest single drop in its entire history, which triggered its circuit breaker. Circuit breakers are a thing that stock markets have now where if the stock market collapses, like if it loses points too fast in a certain period of time, all trading will automatically stop for a bit, so it hits its circuit breaker. The TIE index also hits its circuit breaker, and then in the wee hours of sort of Monday morning, American time. I start seeing a bunch of people posting that Coastby hit the circuit breaker, and I'm very confused because that happened on like Wednesday, right like this already happened. No, no, no, no, wrong, wrong, happened again. It's two circuit breakers in like four sessions. So this has turned into an unbelievable crisis. Yeah, so we're gonna get the tariff episode at some point, talking about the Supreme Court tariff rulings and stuff like that. That will happen. There's a lot of interesting stuff there, But right now we need to answer the question is the economy about to collapse? And tendatively it has been held off at least for a little bit. Now. This is being recorded early Monday afternoon on March ninth. By the time this goes out on March tenth, who the fuck knows what will have happened. But let's talk about what happened in the run up to all of this, because it's very important. So in the lead up to the open of the American markets, we had a massive spike in oil futures, like one of the largest single day spikes in oil futures ever. It looks like it's going to be the apocalypse for the markets. And the reason it looks like this is because and this is something that's genuinely astounding. So one fifth of the world's oil moves through the strain of for Moose. We're going to talk about this in more detail later. And obviously there is now a war, which means that you can't move oil through it, and people suddenly realized that, oh my god, this is going to raise oil prices.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: When I was originally writing this episode in the housey in days of Friday of last week, part of this episode was about why oil prices were not spiking because they didn't spike immediately upon the start of the war, right, And I was very confused about this because the explanation at the time was that people were like, Oh, I'll be fine. The US Navy can escort oil tankers through the straight ocrewer moves. No, they can't, like the narrowest part of it's twenty three miles wide. Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 20: Wait?
Speaker 4: Like, forget drones. You can hit these oil tankers with like a fucking trebuchet. What are we doing here? What was the administration telling to oil companies right, and then a few days later everyone collectively realized, oh my god, we can't move oil, and yeah, no shit, you can't move oil.
Speaker 22: Jeseuz.
Speaker 4: This is christ like, this is unbelievable stuff. From the people who are in the oil markets, from the oil executives, from the golf monarchies, from all of the people planning this. Why would you think this wouldn't happen? And we're gonna get into that actually in a little bit, because there is apparently a reason why they thought this was going to happen, which is some combination of just pure lies and willful belief and some of the worst strategy planning I've ever seen in my entire life. But you know, the ability to close the straight up from news is the reason why even if you are like President Donald Trump, the kind of person who doesn't give a shit if you know your army burns a running and children to death, right, even if you don't care that you fucking bombed a fucking school, you don't fight this war because it fucks with the money. Now, in anticipation of what looked like it was going to be just a market pounding, Trump gave a phone interview with CBS's senior White House correspondent Weija Jang, who posted this on Twitter. This is her reporting of his statements. This is from Donald Trump, quote I think the war is very complete, pretty much. They have no navy, no communication, they've got no air force. He added that the US is quote very far ahead of his initial three to four week timeframe.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: He also said that ships are moving through it now. But he's also quote thinking about taking it over, which what is officially conquering the straight up on moves instead of merely like protecting it with the American fleet assets. This is completely unhinged. And then he also said, quote they've shot everything they have to shoot, and they better not try anything cute or it's going to be the end of that country.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the part of this right that went to the markets is that he thinks the war is over now. The part of it where he says if a rawn fights back in any way, quote, it's going to be the end of that country apparently did not hit the markets. The people running the markets are really really dumb. They think and act like herd animals. This is, I guess slightly an ansult to herd animals, because herd animals react that way for a reason. These people are human beings. They have the capacity for logic and reason. They have the same capacity for logic and reason that we do, and they still act like this. But this has calmed the markets down and it's sent oil prices back down again. We're going to get into why that's kind of nonsense in a little bit. But it's also worth noting in terms of Trump saying the war is nearly over, that every single other quote Trump has said about this war has been He's in this for the long haul. He's thinking about troops on the ground. He is not going to get bored with it. He doesn't care the gas prices are going up. Someone asked his press secretary about whether he ruled out the draft, and she said no, he hadn't, which is I mean, like they're not gonna do a draft, But like, that's ridiculous, why would you say that. It's also worth noting that so he has a a two hundred and fifty year anniversary commission thing that he set up that he's very very excited about. That's like it's America's two hundred and fifty year blah blah blah blah blah, and that commissions like one of their big people was ringing the opening bell wall shake this morning. So, you know, I suspect that there's a lot of sort of motivated reasoning here going on with Trump saying, oh, that's fine, it's gonna be fine. The war's nearly over. Do do do do do? Okay, So I quite frankly do not believe the President when he says that the war is nearly over. I mean, I guess maybe there's a scenario where everything we're about to talk about causes a crisis that is large enough to you know, actually set off Trump pulling out of the war under pressure from his allies in the region, which is to say, the air of monarchies. I don't know to what extent that's actually going to happen, but let's talk about what the crisis here is. So the US's war against Iran has triggered what could be the start of a full on energy crisis. The energy crisis has been postponed for one day, I guess as of again time of recording, Monday, March ninth, But this could be the start of fall on energy crisis and it's not just me saying this. Here is the subtitle of the Wall Street Journal's big piece on this quote, Traffic through the Straight of Furmuz has ground to a virtual halt, unleashing the most severe energy crisis since the nineteen seventies and threatening the global economy. So that's not good. Now. I began this episode talking about a collapse on South Korean and high markets, and I was also mentioned by the way that like when that collapse happened, all the other Asian markets kind of eight shit. The Chinese markets were sort of more stable for reasons we'll get you in a second, but like Japan, like the nik was down like four percent, like all of the other Asian markets kind of eight shit, right, Taiwanese market. And the reason for that is well, again, as I said above, one fifth of the world's oil supply crude oil is shipped through the Strait of Framus. And this is an issue for a country like South Korea, which imports almost all of its oil, you know, and whose economy, like manufacturer economy in particular, is very very heavily dependent on oil. This is true of a lot of other countries in that region, and South Korea and Thailand and Taiwan and Japan are not countries like China, which have much of oil stockpiles and have the ability to get oiled through other ways. Now, I want to take a second to actually explain what the Strait of Framuz is. So the Strait of Fromuz is a straight it's like there's a little bit of water, but it's close to land. I talked to said earlier that the narrowest part of it is twenty three miles, so it's very narrow, and it is a passage between the Persian Gulf and effectively the Indian Ocean right and what you're out into the Indian Ocean, you can get to the rest of the world that is, you know, east of that, which is all of Asia, most of the rest of the world that's not west of you. Right now, she's bordering the Persian Gulf. Who are in the area who need to ship their oil out through here include a run Araq, Bahrain Cotter, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia. Those are a bunch of oil producing countries.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: They are now also countries that are embroiled in this war because they are part of the American Alliance, and you can ask the very reasonable question, Okay, so if you're part of the American Alliance, why the fuck would you be like, okay, with the United States launching this attack on Iran. On a more vulgar level, you can ask the question, how the fuck was this allowed to happen? This is the money, this is the global economy that you are fucking with right now. The things that the Wall Street Journal talks about is that officials in the US and Israel told the Gulf States that there wouldn't be retaliation by Iran, right, that Iran wouldn't target oil facilities, they would just target American military bases. They had a whole thing about how, oh well three tree in the war with Israel, they did only target American military basis. They didn't like bomb any oil infrastructure. They were sending mister Bean memes in their group chats about how weak the Iranian retaliation was going to be. So this is not just a situation of pure you know, motivated reasoning. We relying to them, et cetera, et cetera. Like the Americans appeared to have actually believed some of this, that Iran's retaliation was going to be weak. I've seen reports that they thought that Aram was out of drones. I don't know why you would think this, in baffling. Their drones are extremely cheap to produce, like they've used them, but why would you think they didn't have more? And I just want to point out right, so point of reference here was oh Iran showed restraint in the war with Israel. You know, this is a twelve day conflict where Israel and a rol and sort of fired missiles at each other and stuff after Israel assassinated a bunch of people for doing nuclear stuff. But okay, let's look at this for a second. My brother in Christ, you killed the fucking Ayahtola. This is an existential war for survival of the regime. Of course, they were going to target your oil facilities. Are you fucking kidding me? Your goal here was regime change. You literally assassinated their fucking head of state. You literally killed him. What the fuck did you think was going to happen? Oh my god.
Speaker 23: These people are so fucking dumb, Like you know, and it's obviously not clear exactly like who knew what about this plan? But again, like it seems like the plan was put into place because they had the opportunity to to kill Ahtola Committee. And like, okay, if that's true, and presumably the Gulf States would know that, why the fuck would they not expect retaliation?
Speaker 4: I expected this. I'm a podcaster. I mean, I know, I'm very smart, but like these people are These people and their advisors are running fucking like some of the most important governments in the entire world. I don't know, monarchy, bad system of governments. Electing Donald Trump also apparently bad system of government. You're getting just oh my god, holy fuck, these people are stupid. Oh my god. They really truly they really truly believed that Iran was not going to pick up the weapon that it has always had, that has always been the thing for what the reason why you don't fight this fucking war, even if you don't care about Iranian lives, that you're willing to spend American lives? Right, they really thought they wouldn't do it. I just, I just I can't get over this. I just oh my god, Oh I don't know, I don't know. Okay, we're gonna go to ads a mad hell. I'm not gonna take it any more. Here's some ads Okay, calming down a little bit, let's get back to the actual oil of it all. So let's talk about the quality of the oil here now. Sharp eared listeners may remember that when I talked about Venezuelan oil battery nor Executive Disorder episode about the previous war a couple of months ago, a sentence so unhinged I had to go back check the date to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating. But no, it was January third, twenty twenty six, when we had our last war with a major oil producer where read in some way incapacitated or killed the head of state. By the way, we're still just like holding Maduro hostage. This is just still a thing that we're doing right now. Incredible stuff, incredible like normal government shit, bad things happening. But in that episode, which would have been the Executive Disorder that came out on Friday the January ninth, I talked about how Venezuelan crude oil is not very good. Right, It's extremely sour, kind of sucks. The Kumbo composition is bad. The oil in the golf is not like that. This is good oil. This is one fifth of the world's crude oil. Supply, right, And also it is now because of cutters like liquified natural gas production. This is now also a shutdown of a significant portion of the world's liquified natural gas, which is again extremely important to the economy. And also, you know, one of the biggest sort of climate hoaxes in all of this, right, and I'm saying climate hoaxes here. There's been a whole push to be like, oh, we should transition to natural gas because it's cleaner than oil, and like kind of a little bit in the sense that like dunking your head into a swamp is probably cleaner than dunking your head directly into like a shitful toilet. And also it's only cleaner assuming that no methane escapes through the production process. But the thing is, methane fucking escapes during the production process of natural as all the fucking time. And methane is like to get a sense, So we're talking about greenhouse greenhouse gases here, right, and obviously we're familiar with CO two is like the major pollutant that we that we produce. Methane is a greenhouse gas that is so fucked that it is better to light it on fire and have it burn and have it admit that CO two into the air. That is better for the environment than letting fucking methane into it. It is that fucked of a greenhouse gas, right, And you know a lot of this stuff escapes and and this this is the point that I've been, you know, trying to find a thing to put in this episode.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: One of the big things here is why are we still using oil to this extent? And you know, it has to do with sort of, I mean just just the the the utter cowardice and evil and short sighted profit motive chasing of the entire world ruling class. It has to do with specific efforts by the oil lobby in order to make sure that politics would happen like this. You know, we can talk about like the role of Pennsylvania and like fracking as like an electoral thing. We can talk about sort of the kind of Andreas Molm fossil capital thesis about the place that you want to produce things being a place that both has stable energy and also a sort of I don't know, I guess the capitalists would call it disciplined workforce, but like a workforce that's not like organized, and that's not militant, so you can exploit them. And the places where those things are true, for example, like this century largely has been China, where you know, if you try to do independent union organizing, they will arrest you. Sometimes you will get disappeared. And that also coincides with you know, they have an energy grid, and the energy grid is extremely pollution intensive. It still is even as you know, trying to sort of renewable energy push has been happening, is still extremely carbon intensive. So okay, obviously, like we're in this nightmare because a whole bunch of people who really really really really desperately want us to burn the entire world of lives. They can keep making money. But we're turning to the original thing before I got pissed off about people saying that natural gas is cleaner than oil. It's like, just fucking use literally any other way to generate energy that's not fucking oil or natural gas or coal or I guess nuclear too. But like, we have other ways of generating power. We could do this. But because we haven't done this, this massive decrease in oil supply because again nothing's fucking going through the Gulf. There's like a couple of ships have gone through. This is causing a crisis in the global economy. I'm going to quote the Wall Street Journal. If the Strait is still closed this Friday, output in the region could fall by more than four million barrels kind of analystical quoting earlier estimates, the decline could reach about nine million by the end of March, representing almost a tenth of global demands. Now it's worth noting here, right that you know, you look at a tenth of global demand and you go, oh, okay, so it's like a ten percent reduction, but it's actually way worse than that, because again, people have this tendency to look at oil as just liquid money that moves freely around the world. But that reduction in supply is not evenly distributed across the world. Right, There are countries who have extraordinary needs of it who get their oil from the Middle East. This is the places like for example, Korea from Thailand, b and mar We're gon We're gonna get to you in a little bit, are places who are relying on this oil. And you know, for South Korea, it's like seventy percent of their oil comes from this region, right, So that ten percent of global demand is not spread eatingly across the world, is intensified into acute crises and very very specific economies. And this is a compounding crisis because, as the Wall Street Journal points out, like it's not just that the strait is closed for the first time ever, right, this rait has never been closed, Like there was a point where the US was like escorting things through a dream the Iron of Rock War, But like it's never just been closed before. It's not just that, like you know, oil, natural gas and fertilizer isn't coming out of there either, which is a real fun problem that we'll talk about in a second. This is not just an immediate crisis of we can't move the oil that we have out there is a secondary crisis, which is that where the fuck do you put the oil? Right? If you get one thing out of listening to me talk about oil, it's that again, it's not just liquid money. It's a material substance. And the actual substance of oil and what it is and how it's produced has really wide reaching political effects, right, because when you take your stuff out of the ground, the system is designed so that it is moved extremely quickly. Now there are countries like a rock that you could in theory still produce oil, right, but there aren't enough containers to store it, so they have to shop production down. Now you could be like, okay, well but why don't they just ship it out through the Mediterranean, and the answers that the pipelines and the shipping equipment there just don't have the throughput. Oil distribution is very, very flexible, and this is what makes disrupting it harder than something like coal used to be. But it is designed to a point to be sort of nodal and flexible and able to sort of deal with supply reduction crises, right. It's not designed to deal with this, which is a full on energy crisis level, like, oh by god, we can't get oil out through the trade of removes. This is a scale of issue that can't simply be solved by just moving the supply around and distributing it differently. This is not a solution to this, and so these are having these interlocking effects right because also again, these things are designed to be going constantly and it's not just a thing where you can just turn it off and turn it back on again. It doesn't work like that. These are actual, very very complicated, tendic goal processes. If you turn these things off, this is again very important. If you turn these wells off, some of them will never turn back on again. So we're talking about permanent damage to the supply. Right, even if tomorrow, right like the war is suddenly over and everything quote unquote goes back to normal, we're talking about still like permanent damage to the supply. And this is where again you can be like, well, okay, but like, why don't we just condition from oil? And again you can also ask like why should we give a shit about this? There's a few reasons when I say this is a compounding crisis. The Wall Stree Journal talked about this a little bit, but in every article you read about this, you will see people making the argument that, oh, it's fine, Like the US is more insulated than it was from oil prices in the seventies when it just like caused a major global crisis. And that's kind of true to a certain extent, Right, the US is an oil producer, but also again, oil is not just something that's used for cars, right, and our domestic economy doesn't just rely on oil like you can't just you know, you can you make plastics out of oil?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: But even that, you don't just make things wholesale out of oil. Like everything you consume has other things in it, and it relies on products like, for example, aluminum and things like copper and everything from basic commodities to sort of like refined goods that rely on there being oil. Right. Like again we're talking about South Korea's economy. South Korea produces. There's a whole bunch of microtrip production stuff that goes on there. You know, there's like Samsung, right, major foam manufacturer, So there's all of this very very high tech stuff too. On the sort of on the bottom end, we're talking about like you can't refine a luminum anymore, you know, right, not that you can't, like like places are shutting down their cassidy to do it because they can't get oil or they can't afford this oil. To the extent that we're seeing something called force maith Zura and being deployed by a whole bunch of companies across the world in different sectors and forced majoritam is this is this legal concept you can apply that It's like it's like an act of God where for example, like I don't know, if there's like a once in a century earthquake and it like obliterates your factory, You're not legally liable to pay stuff out to people because it's an act of God, like you, you can't be legally held liable for it. And people are doing this for their aluminum production to say like yeah, sorry, we can't meet our tracks, we can't meet our quotas that you bought from us, Like not our fault, nothing we can do about it. It's happening with oil producers. Because it's also worth noting that it's not just that the Strait is closed. Iran is also hitting oil facilities. Israel is also hitting oil facilities in Iran. They hit one in Tehran, like a massive one in Tehran that's releasing all of these fucking toxic chemicals into the air, and that has set off a massive ecological crisis because all of these people are Enormous numbers of people in Iran are going to die because of this, not just because of the bombings, but because it turns out when you fucking blow up an oil facility releases a bunch of extremely toxic chemicals into the air that caused fucking cancer and stuff like that. And so what you're dealing with, right, is this crisis in which all of these different aspects of the economy that rely on oil are impacted. Right, it's basic commodities, it's highly advanced like parts of of like subig conductor manufacturing. It's you know, all of these things that rely on oil are suddenly constrained, and suddenly the supply chains are fragmenting. You know, the US gets things from all over the world, but the crisis right now has mostly been hitting East Asia. Right. I talked about Korea, we talked about high Land. The thing is, right, crises in East Asia do not stay in East Asia. Like the Asian market collapse, heralded a whole bunch of other debt crises. This is the Asian market class in the nineties, right, Herald's a bunch of debt crises in places like Mexico. Heralds the collapse of the US economy and draining the dot com bubble. It as say it with me, long time listeners of the show, is what causes the reverse Plaza Accords try to bail out the entire world economy, which is where the US, like nuked its own manufacturing economy. By reversing Reagan's attempt to force all of the rest of the countries in the world to increase the value of their currencies relative to the dollars of the US, he compete in manufacturing better, you know. So it affects all these places, you know, and that that effect will boomerang back here. But as as is always true with American imperialism, the people suffering from this the most are not Americans. It's people in Iran, right, It's people who are getting fucking blown up. It's people who are breathing in toxic chemicals as people whose lives have been destroyed and ruined by American imperialism. And beyond Iran, it's Pakistan, it's India, it's Bangladesh, it's Taiwan, it's Thailand, it's the Philippines, South Korea, it's Mia and mar like it's Indonesia designan to lesser sent in Genesia. But you know, we're talking about potential crop failures from lack of fertilizer, right, We're talking about economic ruin. We're talking about the destabilization of the world economy, or talking about people dying for fucking cancer when we're talking about the global economic effects of this. That's what we're really dealing with here, regardless of what happens on the American stock markets, is a whole bunch of people who never had anything to do with this fucking suffering and dying because of the fucking greed and pride and vanity and hatred of the American ruling class. Now, I'm going to close on a slightly lighter note, which is people who follow the economy very closely will be talking about how kost B, the Korean index, had a massive bubble and that's why it collapsed, and that's why it had like two circuit breakers, and that's why it's going down so much. That's kind of true, right, But that bubble is an AI bubble. Now it is a larger and more concentrated version of the American AI bubble. But you know, the American economy is an AI bubble. And the thing about AI is that it's propped up by gas prices.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 4: AI is enormously enormously fuel intensive, but it wastes a staggering on a hinged amount of energy, right, And it could only really function as long as those oil prices are very cheap, and as long as natural gas prices are cheap. And it's also worth noting that, you know, these AI things are also do a physical infrastructure. Because these people are just like absolute clowns. They've been buying into the Golf monarchy's attempts to attract a tech sector there, so they've been hit and Iran has been taking advantage of this by hitting Amazon data centers in the Golf States. So that's another way where this can potentially just sort of toss a nuke into the global economy, is that like the price of running all of these AI things suddenly starts to increase. And the kind of worst case scenario scenario for this, right, the one that we've been looking at in terms of what could happen to the world economy is what's been being discussed more and more, which is a version of the Crisis of the seven, which is an economic crisis of increasing inflation and also increasing unemployment that completely reshaped the entire global economy. It's why we have deoliberalism, you know, it's a complete collapse with the social democratic system that I come before. It it changes the entire global world order. Right, the US goes off the gold standard, like things change that had never changed before. And we're going to talk about that more on the tariff episode. But that, to a large extent to the ruling class is what is at stake here, right, It's whether it is worth destroying the global economy in order for Trump to kill what people and I wrong. This has been Nickuldoppen here.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here, and this is it could Happen Here. Today, We've got a special episode for you. This is a guest episode by all of a Minneapolis resident and movement legal worker who hosts the Outlaw podcast. So, without further ado, here's Olive.
Speaker 24: Minneapolis Print put hi, and welcome to the first crossover episode of It Could Happen Here and Outlaw, an anti oppression podcast where we demystify how the law is used to neutralize descent in the US.
Speaker 25: I'm your host, Olive. I live in Minneapolis, and if you've read a single headline over the last two months, you probably know that we are battling the largest immigration enforcement operation in US history. Since early December, Minnesota has been occupied by three thousand agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement ICE and Customs and Border Protection who have already abducted, imprisoned, and deported at least four thousand people. In the face of this devastating federal occupation, people are showing up every single day to defend their migrant neighbors in unimaginably beautiful ways. And on the other side of this effective resistance is expansive legal repression all of the many ways the state uses the law and its enforcement mechanisms to crush dissent. More than four hundred people have been arrested for protesting ICE or following ICE vehicles, with thirty five of them now facing federal charges under eighteen USC one eleven assaulting, resisting, or impeding a federal officer. I think it's really important for those of you outside of Minnesota to know how law enforcement and political prosecution are working here because it might come to where you live to and it's different than other kinds of movement repression I've seen. Instead of the agencies that normally police citizen protesters, like local and state cops or the FBI, it's primarily ICE and CBP who are carrying out arrests, and its Homeland Security investigations doing the investigations. It's happening this way because arrests are mostly happening when people are responding to ICE activity, and so those are the agencies who are present to make arrests. This impacts everything from how arrests go down and the conditions of incarceration to the kinds of charges that people are catching. To understand what all this actually means, you need to hear from those who are experiencing it, the people who have been detained and prosecuted for protesting ICE. So in this episode you'll hear two interviews from Minneapolis rapid responders. First, you'll hear from Clem and Ray about their experience being arrested out of their car and taken into ICE attention. And second, Lucy and Isabelle will talk about catching charges and navigating cases during the surge. Stick around at the end for a special treat, a poem from isabel and a new song out of Minneapolis that responds to the surge, and just the heads up before we get into it. In this episode, you're going to hear people talk about their first hand experiences with police violence. So take care of yourself and if you like the episode, check out the other episodes of Outlaw wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 4: Indigenous, from the North, from the South.
Speaker 5: From everywhere.
Speaker 25: Welcome to Outlaw. You're both here to talk about legal oppression of ice Watch in Minneapolis over the past two months. Can you both introduce yourselves briefly and your connection to the Twin Cities.
Speaker 26: I am ray Is they then pronouns. I'm from here, I grip here and have lived most of my life in the Twin Cities, and I now live in Potterhorn Park that's in South Minneapolis.
Speaker 25: Site of high ice activity, the highest I believe.
Speaker 26: I would think that is true, and quite close to the sites of George Floyd as well as Renee Goods murders.
Speaker 6: My name is Clem.
Speaker 27: I've lived in the Cities for like five years maybe now. I grew up in the Southwest, and I also live on the border of Powder Horn in the Central neighborhood, so kind of yeah, halfway between where Renee was shot and where George Floyd was killed.
Speaker 25: So you both were arrested while you were doing ice Watch in your car. For people who are listening, this gets called commuting here. It can look different ways, but it often involves a hyper local signal call with a dispatcher and commuters to be able to notify and dispatch rapid responders. When ICE is around, Commuters track ICE vehicles, oftentimes following them around, which ICE doesn't like. So my question for you two is what kinds of tactics have you witnessed agents used to stop this kind of rapid response organizing.
Speaker 27: I feel like they have escalated and it always depends on the agent, But there's times where they'll just slow roll and drive like a normal person. There's times where they'll run red lights, they'll break check you, they'll just like go in loops around the city to try and lose you. And then depending on however they are, they'll try and pull you over and intimidate you, or they'll try and lead you to like a police station or have a share of pull you over. And they've threatened people with like stocking charges and stuff like that. And yeah, we personally have been We've had agents come up to our windows when we were commuting, the two of us, we've had we followed its like all the way to northeast and a long time, probably like an hour, and then eventually downtown they had sheriffs pull up on us and pull us over and tell us to stop following.
Speaker 6: And then we have the other thing that I'm sure you won't to talk to us about.
Speaker 26: A lot of what we've been seeing is just this recklessness, like speainning through red lights and not signaling, just like a lot of like traffic violations, and then once you're pulled over, just having your windows smashed it and like them using all these intimidation tactics but like not necessarily detaining people.
Speaker 27: Yeah, and all of these vehicles don't necessarily look like a cop car. It's pretty rare for them to like actually turn on their lights and sirens. So when they're going through intersections as quote unquote law enforcement, it's pretty rare for someone to see them. And there are times where we almost witness like t bones of that just recklessly running a red light.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all the time.
Speaker 25: There's been a good number of car accidents also involving their cars.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, and like not even caused by communing.
Speaker 27: They've just slipped on ice and ran into poles, and then they tear gas observers who were hackling them because they don't know how to drive in Minnesota.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 25: Let's turn to January seventh, twenty twenty sixth, the same day Renee Good was killed by Ice. You both were out commuting. Can you tell me about how that day started for you?
Speaker 26: It was me picking up Clem and immediately there was like a sus car that like zoomed off and then Clem checked the plate and it was Ice that we think was just waiting outside of the house to intimidate. Unclear, but I mean it certainly felt that way. Had anything happened like that to you before Clem with them targeting the house, wasn't there something that.
Speaker 27: I think at that point because they've used the tactic too of like when an observer is tailing them, they'll run your license plate and then drive you back to your house that the car is registered to as an intimidation tactic, and they'll get out and take pictures of the house. But I think at that point, me and my roommates that hadn't happened yet. But we had spent a lot of time at Whipple, like just observing the cars going in now the gates and trying to record all that data. And when you're there, there's just like intimidation vehicles that will just like drive up right next to your driver's side window and film you and take pictures. So it was certainly in some sort of database at that point. But what's whipple Whipple is the federal building that is near Fort Snelling State Park, which is by the airport, and that's where ICE has been operating out of, and it's the command headquarters for like the entire Upper Midwest. So wass gone in Minnesota? The Dakota is I think Iowa too?
Speaker 25: Okay, So the day starts off, there's an ICE agent outside your house and you get in the car to start commuting. Tell me about what happens next.
Speaker 6: The abandoned car, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 27: The first thing I responded to is near Little Earth, which is like a gated community but for like people who were like an urban reservation is what it calls itself. And there was a call of ICE at a park nearby there, and we showed up and there was just an abandoned car. And when I went and talked to someone on the street you staying next to it, basically explained the situation of ICE rolled up on them and they ran on foot and left the car, and they basically had to push the car out of the road and then they ended up locking it because the person's documents. So I was staying with the car and calling TOATRA companies that have offered free toes for people who have gone inducted. And so we were probably there for like, I don't know, more than thirty minutes, and I think as that was happening is when Renee was shot.
Speaker 6: So neither of us were like.
Speaker 27: On the call or looking at shots or anything, and we like went home for a break, and that's when we heard the news of that.
Speaker 26: Yeah, because I lived really close by to there, and there was a lot of swirling information, so people saying, you know, someone was shot, and then at first people being like, come down to this area, and then you know, very shortly after people being like it's totally cordoned off, don't come down. There's also enough observers and we need people to be out there doing this still, because like we can't invest all of our resources into this.
Speaker 4: One thing that's happening.
Speaker 26: And probably within the hours when we got the message that was saying that there were vehicles staged in a parking lot the street, So we drove down there and there were already observers, people in cars and on foot, probably around thirty people, and it was kind of a standoff of these vehicles, probably around five fish vehicles and then people blowing whistles, honking horns, and so Clem and I were there in the car doing that.
Speaker 25: So you see the news that Renee was killed and for doing exactly what you were doing, driving around your neighborhood to look out for your neighbors, and you get back in.
Speaker 4: The car and you keep going. Yeah, that didn't stop us.
Speaker 26: I mean, if anything, it you know, made us feel like we need to be out here because they're not stopping.
Speaker 6: We're not going to stop either.
Speaker 25: So you said, you arrive at the next scene, where how are you and what is Ice doing there?
Speaker 27: Yeah, it's the Dollar Tree parking lot, which is like on Lake Street and the Uptown area. And yeah, there's five vehicles presumably staging because what we've been calling out when they're just like parked planning what they're going to do next. And there weren't any agents out of car. It was just a bunch of cars sitting there that we knew were Ice.
Speaker 4: And a bunch of observers were responding.
Speaker 26: Yeah, we were just like in the parking lot. They could still have driven around us, like there was room on either side of our car that they could have driven past us. And then in addition to that, they could have driven around like there were just several options for them to get around us. At that point, I think some agents got out and were like move.
Speaker 6: Your vehicle, move your vehicle, and.
Speaker 26: One of the cars this like huge suv ramm to the back of my car to get it out.
Speaker 4: Of the way while you were in it.
Speaker 26: What we were in it, Yeah, And I think at that point Clem turned to me and was like, they're gonna smash out the windows, and I was like yep. And so at that point I think we were both prepared for for what was going to happen, I guess though. Also I mean once they smashed the back of the car, I was thinking like, Okay, they got us.
Speaker 4: Out of the way, like that might be it.
Speaker 26: But then so the cars out of the way, but they all got out of their vehicles. They first maced the windows so it's like they have a die in it. It's like a bright orange and they maced the passenger, the driver, and the windshields windows, and then they came around on they smashed both both of the passenger and driver windows and then sprayed bear mace through Clem side into both of our faces right before they smashed the windows. We grabbed each other's hands and we just held hands as it was happening around us. And then I saw that bright orange mace coming from the passenger window, so they sprayed it directly in Clem's face, and then they reached over and sprayed me, and they were able to open up the doors with the windows smashed, and they dragged us out and he punched me in the jaw, like in the lip really while they cuffed me, and they used pain compliance.
Speaker 6: It's like a.
Speaker 12: I mean, it's torture.
Speaker 26: So they've pulled my wrist up or my hand up against my arm with the cuffs on, and then pulled me or like up against the vehicle where I was detained separately from the Clem. You can talk about what happened to you at the same time.
Speaker 27: Yeah, So I could feel the door open, and then they tried to yank me out and under my seat belt and I was holding onto the seat belt and eventually they got that undone and I was just like trying to hold on to you as tired as I could until they were able to break that grasp, and then two agents pulled me out and slammed me on the floor and got on top of me and put me in cuffs, and I'm still just have my eyes closed so the mace doesn't get in them. And yeah, from there, I fell a few times and kept just being dead weight, and they kept trying to take me to cars, but they didn't know which car they were supposed to go to where they would go to a car, and they didn't have the keys for it, so I would just like kept getting walked in circles, not seeing what was going on, and like hearing the confusion of all of them, until eventually I got put in the back of a car and you got put into a separate car.
Speaker 26: And the way there, I mostly just was focused on breathing through the pain on the way to Whipple, and like what was so disgusting to me? I mean, it was so fresh in our minds that Renee had just been killed, right, And I'm hearing them singing on the radio. There was one agent who is singing like I got a pucket, got a packet for the sunshine or something like that, and a lot of laughter. I remember the phrases fucking Somali's and later one of them complaining about all these fucking whistles, and I remember thinking like, oh, fuck, yeah, they're working, and wasn't too long before we arrived in the garage. It's just giant garage where they process people and there are mostly agents vehicles, and people have been detained, like a line of people have been detained.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 25: I just want to point a couple of things out in what you both have said. That's a little bit different than we normally see in protests related legal repression, which is one detention of people who are citizen protesters or just people arrested for protest activity by ICE, by immigration enforcement, or by federal agents in general. That's usually something that is done by state or local law enforcement cops or sheriffs, and people are taken to the local jail for processing. But here what's happening is you're being taken to Whipple, which is the ICE detention center where all non citizens detained by ICE for immigration reasons are also taken and processed. But you're also being brought there, so you're getting a window into ICE operations and you're taken into a place that people also normally don't have access to. It's a pretty high security building that they don't like people from the outside inside.
Speaker 4: But there you are in the garage.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 26: So we're on our knees, and at one point I commented on how young the people looked that were holding clem, and they pulled us apart and they brought me to the opposite side of the garage and they're still using the pain compliance They're filming me.
Speaker 4: The whole time.
Speaker 26: There was just a bunch of agents that were filming me, and like three guys that were like on me, and I said to them, I said, make it hurt, daddy, and I was being mouthy, and just this one guy in particularly seems really freaked out by that, and they he pushed me to the ground with my face to the floor, and he said, you like the dirt, queer. And my reaction for a lot of the time that this is happening is I just was laughing and laughing, and I said, yeah, I fucking love the dirt, like I love the dirt more than anything. And I don't know how long I was like that, but they kept me on the ground and then eventually brought us in to bring us to the cells.
Speaker 27: We walked past like this central command hub with all of these people who are working in this so called metro Surge operation, and then on the left were cells of people who had been detained. I think we passed at least five cells from what we could see, and they were filled just like wall to wall of black and brown people that yeah, I had like one toilet in there, so probably at least like two or three hundred people in there.
Speaker 26: The desolation sticks with me and they led me to a separate cell. Then Clem and this other person that we were detained with, and these were seemingly like the remaining cells that were available in the in the whole area, because I mean it was just full of like they were like completely a capacity with a number of people they've abducted. Clem and I are were in there for hours with mace in our eyes and like.
Speaker 4: No relief from that.
Speaker 26: And I remember just laying on the ground and an agent coming in pretty soon after being an asshole, and he was like, we've got gourmet potato and chicken and Brussels sprouts or something, and he hands me this like little plastic container with like this just this white haste or like just new you know, just.
Speaker 27: Like a microwave meal of goop, just disgusting goop.
Speaker 26: But we were in there for a while before being taken back, and I think they took me back first, and I refused to say anything without a lawyer obviously. They hand me a piece of paper and after reading me or my rights, and they said, actually, we need you to read these back to us to confirm that you speak English and understand English.
Speaker 6: And I was like, weird, but okay.
Speaker 26: So I start to read it and it's all pretty normal, and then I get to a paragraph that says something to the effect of like, knowing these rights, I wave my rights. So I was being tricked into waving my rights, which I thought I was going crazy. I did not understand at the time, and I stopped halfway through the sentence and I read it over and over, trying to make sense of it. And I said to them, I was like, I don't understand what I'm being asked to read. I'm not going to keep reading this and they were like, that's okay, we have what we need and they took it back and then I got a phone call Clempton up.
Speaker 27: We got taken into the interrogation room and it was like too homeland security, I don't know, like detective or whatever. But they like opened it with saying like I know this is all like can be a lot right now, so feel free to just like let it loose in this room.
Speaker 6: And I just like kind of looked at them, like what are you talking about?
Speaker 27: Like it's it was jarring to go from dealing with a month of seeing only these people in masks and just like as this like horrible monstrosity of like a fascist, and then being inside of there and like seeing that command setter of all those people working on the computers like making this whole thing work, and then all these detectives who like think they're detached from it and think that they're not a part of what's going down on the streets right now just because they're working inside the building. And yeah, so the same thing happened. They try to ask me questions and I said I wouldn't say anything without a lawyer president, and I asked for a phone call, and they did the same thing with the rights where they were going to read them to me, and then what the other detectives said, actually, we don't need to do that, and so one of them just left for a bit, and so I was just like left in the room with the like assistant detective and he just like asked me some how's your day going question? And I just kind of dead stare at him for like twenty minutes, which felt pretty good because he was very uncomfortable and kept just like avoiding eye contact. And I don't know, it's the small amount of power you can have when you're in a cage. And I got taken back to my room and tried the intercom and stuff i could get a phone call, and they said I'll get a phone call after booking. So I was pretty worried about what was going to happen. Actually they said they had lawyer president and yeah, these two real cool lores were there that we know and are friends with, and they explained that we'd be out pretty shortly.
Speaker 26: And yeah, and then we were able to get out and go home. But I feel really haunted by the fact that we were in there for maybe a handful of hours, and of course there are all these people that are stuck there that aren't going to be able to go home. The way we did, and then I took the most painful shower of my life because the water just I did the cold water thing, and my lawyer friend had and me about it was like, you know, try not to get it in your bits, but I totally did and it was excruciating.
Speaker 25: One of the things we talk about on the show is how to counteract the chilling effects of oppression and just the trauma of a day like this that having violent interactions with law enforcement can cause. And I really appreciate you both sharing and going back into this experience that happened now almost exactly a month ago from when we're recording today. I'm curious if you have thoughts on what you've learned and moving through this experience, lessons you've learned that you'd want others to know about about how to move through something like this and keep getting out there as I know you both have.
Speaker 27: I don't really know how to move through it, but it's yeah, I feel like it still lives in my body, and that fear has definitely changed me. But it's been nice to have friends and community, and there's been a lot of like free sort of like bodywork, and I tried acupuncture for the first time, which was really nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just having people that have your back.
Speaker 27: And knowing that, like, you're not alone in this, Like since we've been arrested, there's been hundreds of people in the same exact boat as us, And yeah, it feels good to know we're not an outlier.
Speaker 6: Here unapologetically, unapologetically.
Speaker 25: Myself, like most anti ICE protesters arrested here during the surge. Clem and Ray were released pending charges, but the legal landscape is rapidly shifting. At least thirty out of the thirty five federal cases from the past two months, we're charged retroactively in the past few weeks. To give you a sense of how these cases might unfold and what it's like to face these charges. You'll hear from two Minneapolis based anti ICE protesters facing criminal charges for responding to a raid at Takaia las Cuatros Muthbus that took place back on June third, twenty five. Isabel Lopez faces federal charges and Lucy faces state charges from that day. Their June cases are still open today, and Lucy also caught federal charges after responding to an ICE raid that took place during Operation Metro surch.
Speaker 24: We shouldn't be so concerned with everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Isabel and Lucy.
Speaker 25: We're going to talk today about legal oppression you both are experiencing for protesting ice in Minneapolis. But before we even start that conversation, can you both introduce yourselves, your connection to the Twin Cities and share a little bit about who you are side of the topic of today's conversation. Isabella can start with you.
Speaker 12: Je. Hi'm my name is Celle La.
Speaker 28: I'm a community I don't know, organizer, helper, and I'm also spoken word poet. I've been writing and doing performances here in the Twin Cities for like since like twenty twenty, but the old George Ford thing. Yeah, and I've also done other organizing when it comes to the climate justice movement and also indigenous rights.
Speaker 12: I have supple Tech Benzara Asis and like that's just important for me.
Speaker 4: So yeah.
Speaker 12: But I was born in Chicago, race here in the Twin Cities.
Speaker 16: Hi, Lucy, I've been in Minneapolis since I don't know, the early twenty tens, but I lived in Minnesota forever. I mean, I've been in and out, but I feed people. I'm allowed bitch, I'll make noises, I make songs, make good trouble.
Speaker 25: Okay, So you were both arrested and charged after a multi agency raid that took place back on June third, twenty twenty five at Las Quatro Milpas, a Mexican tacorea in South Minneapolis. Officials still say that it was not an ICE raid and that they were executing a warrant for drug trafficking, but ICE agents were confirmed on site alongside ten other federal agencies and local cops, and the owner of the tacorea ended up in ICED attention. The raid and response went pretty viral. The operation was heavily militarized, and hundreds of neighbors turned out in protest. Lisa, you were charged with three counts of obstructing, impeding, or assaulting a federal officer and a fourth count of impeding a federal investigation. And Lucy you're facing state level charges from that day and federal assault charges. I'd love to hear from you both a little bit about your experiences getting arrested, catching charges. What do you want people to know about what that experience was like.
Speaker 28: Yeah, so I wasn't arrested until like three or four days later, because it happened on June third, and then I was rested on June ninth.
Speaker 12: It felt very planned and just like a Poppet show.
Speaker 6: I remember.
Speaker 28: I think it was the day after two senators from the House here in Minnesota were shot. And Georgia Ford, you know, was a really close community friend of mine. We're both from the East Side, and she called me to do an interview. I was kind of unsure about it, but.
Speaker 12: She just assured me that she just wanted to hear my story.
Speaker 28: And yeah, I didn't really think much of it, and so then I went I did the interview.
Speaker 12: I was still very shaken up about what happened that day. By around like four, I think or Thic three.
Speaker 28: I was coming out, and by that time in downtown there's a lot of things going on in Saint Paul.
Speaker 12: It's kind of a dead city by that time.
Speaker 28: And so as I was coming out, that's when and for officers came from behind me and arrested me and pushed me to the ground, and my shoulder hit the concrete and I started bleeding, and they took me in a black STUV and they waited there for a second, and you know, just when Georgia came out and saw everything that was happening and started recording, and you know, from there, let the community knew about what happened. And so after that, that's when I kind of started realizing what this administration is trying to do. And it felt very orchestrated. It felt very calculated. Even after, especially after there's a lot of news about my arrest and adding.
Speaker 12: My face to this whole drug rade and my case to it.
Speaker 28: So yeah, I know other people were arrested, but my arrest felt very like intentional and calculated and kind of this is an abuse of power, and this isn't okay, Like I don't care who you are, I don't care how you see things, Like I'm like barely not even five to three, five to two, and you know, these men that were huge felt the need to tackle me. This is all allegedly right, But at the same time, I think that I want people to understand that they can make their own calls and own judgment, and how like this justice system isn't that.
Speaker 4: Right now at all.
Speaker 12: It's repression.
Speaker 25: Am I also remembering correctly that I maybe had seen you post a video on Instagram about that raid because I feel like, in my impression, had also felt like maybe retaliation for you speaking out. Yeah, definitely, your case feels important for people to know about. Especially in the past two weeks here in Minneapolis, twenty eight people have been charged with assault on a federal officer and are facing federal charges. Now there was a handful before that, but we've just seen it massive spike of people who were charged after being released pending charges.
Speaker 4: So your case does feel like this test case.
Speaker 25: That's being looked to is how are they going to handle this and what's going to happen. So I appreciate you talking about it. I would love to turn to you, Lucy and hear a little bit about what you're facing and what your experience has been.
Speaker 16: Like I think they charged me with assault and then they downgraded it to like less degree assault because it was ridiculous. Well yeah, I like they had like six cops tackle me, and my shoulder's never been the same. But that was that was in June, and then in another instance, I also have charges for assaulting a federal officer. Seems like they just charge everyone, you know, and like all of these legal observers are also getting docked by the age. They're trying to raise the stakes of resisting the administration as much as possible because it is a popular movement. It's like generally popular to hate ice, but they're trying to make it as expensive and as irrevocably life destroying for US citizens as it is for people who aren't US citizens.
Speaker 25: I think it's super important to highlight the ways in which these targeted political prosecutions are being used to raise the stakes of showing up to defend your community from abduction, from death, from surveillance and intimidation and fascist violence.
Speaker 12: Do you know who else was arrested that day?
Speaker 5: There was two people arrested on June third.
Speaker 16: They were both arrested in the same interaction with a police officer. A young woman was standing in front of a police vehicle and an officer approached her like super rapidly, and then someone approached that officer, and from the video, it seems like that person ripped off a thin blue line lapel velcro from the officer, and then that officer proceeded to assault that person, and then that person was accused of assault, and then my federal charges. The government has motioned to dismiss them, but we are motioning to dismiss them with prejudice. And during that interaction, I can't really speak to what happened between me and federal officers, but a pregnant woman was assaulted by federal officers. People were tased, people were hit with batons, and that woman had like a ICE agent on top of her for like I don't know a half hour. People said that she miscarried, she was pregnant. Everyone was saying she was pregnant. She was dragged by one arm between the legs of the ICE officer. They said that she spray painted a car and that was the reason for the arrest. They also said that there was no proof of that either.
Speaker 25: And that incident, which was one of the first immigration operations in the surge or one of the earlier ones that went pretty viral. There was a lot of coverage. It was a huge raid, big community turn out. It was also like ICE was on the wrong block and they were in a Somali neighborhood and people were mad and people were showing up and not letting them get away with it. Also, I think there was a lot of response. My understanding was to ICE having their knee on this pregnant person's back for such a long period of time from what I've seen in the complaint for that day for your case, which is a public record, and I not asking you to speak to whether or not it's true or anything about it, but part of what you're being charged with is I believe de arresting that person, the pregnant person, while they were dragging her, and as result you got assault on the federal officer charges. So just some context for people listening for the case as we're following it. Those are the public allegations that the government has made. But it was one of the earliest federal cases during the surge and one of the earlier assault cases of this kind. So interesting to hear that it looks like it's headed for a dismissal and exciting for you, but that is the case, Isabelle. There's been community mobilization to support you starting back in June. Could you speak to what's been effective about that and what you've learned fighting these charges related to this political prosecution.
Speaker 12: I mean, the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 28: I think that there's just been so much repression when it comes to just you know, the Brown community. We've lost mcgous and Dad, which is a really dope place on Lake Street, right across the street from Happened from Less. You know, it's like raising fun so they don't close, and you know, I think I think that starts reviewing really stuff for Latino businesses around businesses. They've lost like forty six million dollars this past month. So what I'm trying to say with that is that my community is very much on the scarcity, you know, like it's almost like.
Speaker 12: We're being dragged to the point. And so when my community.
Speaker 28: Showed up for me that day, like it just showed for me like how resilient we are and how much like it's scary, but we can't keep having other people in our communities disappear, you know, people that we can't afford. And for my case, because I'm a US citizen, I feel very like responsible and very like wanting to like being present in community because I think that's really what I can do. I can't really like do a lot because of the fear that like if I come into certain spaces, am I being launched?
Speaker 12: You know, And they've have shown.
Speaker 28: Like hinting having an eye on me basically throughout this but like you know, being present with community and being there when you know we're organizing, and knowing you know, your rights and things like that. I think has helped a lot of people in my community to one be a lot more careful, but to know that like what we're going up against and how it's a way of survival to keep going and like you know, to have our right speed to at least grow during these times. And we've had like observer trainings, We've had a lot of low key, smaller trainings.
Speaker 12: We're not like trying to tell too many people about.
Speaker 28: It for the same reason, and for my case in particular, it's been really hard just because like a lot of people are scared, and a lot of people are very intimidating to speak out and you know, advocate for what's been going on in my case, because you know, they want us to keep having this scarcity mentality and you know, being afraid of like what's to happen, what's to come. So for me, it's just been really important for me to be with community, to be with people, and like to share my story in the small ways that I can. And you know, we've been doing phone baking campaigns and also just writing in letters. They have a radar on me for sure and know like or where I'm at, where I stand. But I also know that I have a really big community behind me, and I know it's not just about me. It's about the fact that it's bigger about what could happen to somebody else in our community. And it's been hard, but I think it's it's you know, it's important for us to know that, like, you know, we can keep pushing and like be together in community despite all this, and so, yeah, it has been kind of hard, especially with the searge. It got even more messy, you know, just with a lot of people trying their buzz to keep their head above the water and helping the families that they can, because a lot of families haven't been able to leave their house.
Speaker 25: When you say we've and hosting trainings, are you referring to your support committee. You've been doing like events that are joint raising awareness about your case and also helping community get trained up.
Speaker 4: Is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think I mean it's one and the same.
Speaker 28: I feel like the people that I'm working with, they work and do a lot of grassroot things in the community and so I know, me just showing up to those trainings and just talking about my case like that, that helps a lot. So it's like that, and we've done a couple events here and there where we talk about immigration. We did one in June or no in July, i think.
Speaker 12: And like we still have said to do.
Speaker 28: More things with community to just know that, like you know, we're all we're all here in it.
Speaker 12: But it has been very interverackering.
Speaker 28: It's been really hard just because like I don't I don't know who's watching, I don't know who's in the room, I don't know who I can trust.
Speaker 12: But I know I'm not alone. So that's that's the best part about it.
Speaker 25: So, yeah, there's so much intentional isolation of people facing charges. That's so much of how repression works is to isolate people, make them scared to go be in community and do important work. So thanks for continuing to show up. It's cool to hear you speak to both like navigating the fear and continuing to show up where you can. Yeah, I'd love to hear you both speak a little bit more. I know you just spoke about this a little bit, Isabelle, But what it's been like navigating these cases amidst the past couple months of the surge here in the Twin Cities, it's a pretty unique moment to also have these pretty high stakes cases going on, Lucy, if you want to start, it just sucks.
Speaker 16: I mean, there's lots of ways of doing things, but like, I don't want to be afraid that I need to call my pre trial release person every time a cop talks to me, Like I don't know, Like I not that I interact with cops all the time, but I'm in Minneapolis and like keep talking to the probation guy about this. I'm like, you know, if a cop drives by me, is that a police interaction? If I'm on the street and the fucking fedser in in the street in front of my house, is that a police interaction? Like it just makes you so stressed out, Like Renee Good was shot in front of me, and it's like like normally I'm not the kind of person that runs away from a situation like that. I'm like would go towards where what happened to like make sure people are okay, or like see if there's anything I can do. And in that situation, I was like what if I just am gonna go to jail like for trying to like do something. So it's just like it's just contrary to my instincts that if I see someone getting brutalized in the street or they're like they say, you can go to a protest, but that's just what repression is. You know, they come into your house and they look in every single room. You know that they say that you need to go and do drug tests and that you can't have a firearm, and they wanted me to have twenty four to seven monitoring. I don't know if you had that kind of shit, but it's just like this shit's insane, like and it's over fucking nothing. And so that's why, like I see people on the internet being like, oh, but like all those charges get dropped or whatever. I was like, then fuck you, like you never dealt with this, Like doesn't matter if the charges get dropped. I'm gonna try and apply to fucking Target to be a cashier and then they're gonna be like, actually, you have an active case. I tried to work at a theater and they were like, can you come explain what happened here? Doesn't matter if you end up going to jail. Yeah, going to jail sucks, but repression is like it's the thing in and of itself.
Speaker 5: The cruelty is the point.
Speaker 25: I want to hear from you too. Issavell, I just want to say for people listening that what Lucy's talking about are release conditions. So when the cases initiated against you, the government could argue that you should be held in detention while the case is ongoing, or they could ask for cons of release. And those are conditions that are enforced by a pre trial probation officer, like person who might come to visit your house or you have to call when you have cop interactions, or who facilitates drug testing, depending on what your conditions are. So just some background on that for anyone who's unfamiliar.
Speaker 28: Yeah, I think Lucy kind of said it best. Was like crely questioning your instincts. You're questioning like what can you do? And I've tried my best to be as creative as i can with it, but yeah, it's so hard to I'm finding myself having to mobilize in a different way and like show up the community.
Speaker 12: So I've kind of pivoted to art.
Speaker 28: Yeah, doing things when it comes to like screenprinting and just again showing up a community and just try to play face or be face, like be real, you know, be with community. But yeah, it has been hard because again, you never really know what you can and cannot say. Like the other day, I had a really good friend they admitted a graphic for me talking about explaining my case and things like that. You know, I can't really post too much about my case people start tagging me in it. I tried resharing one of it. I only shared like one of reshared one of the tags, and then I tried resharing another tag that kind of explained what to do to help with my case, and like Instagram, don't let me post it. You know, these are this is like minor shit, like this isn't like that big of a deal. But it's also just like okay, like yeah, they want to make sure that you're not being seen or heard. And I'm pretty fortunate to have like a job where like they're paying me to do community work and they have known me, so like I'm I feel really lucky. At the same time, it's also just been really hard because, like you know, some people are more reluctant to have me in the room when it comes to like organizing, are doing certain things because of that, because like you know, of where my case stands, and some people have like you know, actually kind of walked away from being my friend because you know that they were also there that day on June third, and just also kind of being afraid about what would happen to them. But on the other side of that, you know, there's also been friends that are like I'm gonna be here, I'm down, like, don't don't like know you where you know, which has been great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't ditch your friends.
Speaker 16: Like I had, like my roommate being like I'm gonna i gotta leave, like I'm gonna dip, and people being weird to you, and it's just like, I don't know, maybe you just should just be better about your like security in general.
Speaker 5: Because like sooner or later, we're all going to have charges.
Speaker 16: I don't know, maybe it's not going to be that bad, but we're all domestic terrorists in Minnesota now, Uh fuck? I mean as as per ice, you know, making list and I don't know, they can't tell everybody.
Speaker 12: It's just been really hard navigating I get.
Speaker 28: I guess, like the sense of morality that comes with it, because it's like for me and I feel like you know, Lucy can relate to this, is that like you act on the things that you believe in, you act on the things that you know is worth participating. And now this administration is you know, gaslight. I don't even think gasline is a right word. I think it's just like imposing a lie of just like what is right and what is wrong and seeing everybody also just being very gas lit and having you know, the news, having a certain narrative of like what is right, what is wrong, what has been said, what has not been said, what really happened, what didn't happen, And also just arresting independent journalists. I think just goes to show how much constitution has not been constituted.
Speaker 12: Like the human rights that we believed and we thought that we have are no more. So it's like what goals and what doesn't go you know?
Speaker 28: And I think that for me, the only real hope I have is like community and like creativity, because it's like people have shown up for me, because I've been showing up since like twenty twenty. So it's like how can we inspire a sense of like a sense of hope and spirit to keep going. How can we keep have people know that there is there is hope at the end, that you know, there can be another side that right now what we're seeing is just another world unfolding. And the only way that we can really understand that new world is when we understand the truth.
Speaker 12: That we've been walking on. And so my friends have been so good to me, and some of them have been.
Speaker 28: You know, they've made like graphics and really cool like shirts with my face on it just a way to like, you know, welcome me home and things like that, and creating different images of like what this new world can be. And you know, one thing that I did with some of the NDI and collective, we made this really dope graphic that says Motherland on it and it's all the Americas having roots from the global South, you know, and being supple thick like has been really like so key for me to know that like I have every right to be here, that like a lot of the legitimacy that is constituted quote unquote for me, that doesn't come from for me, that's not my truth.
Speaker 12: Of like why I move and why I believe to do.
Speaker 4: Is right to me.
Speaker 28: I do what is right because of the history that I come from, because of like you know, who my dad is, and like the people that I know that I come from. You know, I'm not like native to the northern plains, but I do have friends that are, and I do respect and love them so much. Where I want to see the traditions be fully and thrived. And I know that my power and my liberty is tied with theirs. And I know that we like have every right to be here from the people that are from the global South as well, because of the fact that we haven't been able to like fully thrive in the motherland. We haven't been fully thrived in all the Americas. And you know, a lot of people don't want to immigrate. A lot of people don't want to migrate. They don't want to leave their motherland. But I know that we have built homes here, we have built communities here, and I think.
Speaker 4: That for me, that that's the other side of.
Speaker 28: It, is that we can we can thrive, and that we can be in this place together, that we have every right to, like in this constant last night together, we are America.
Speaker 25: So yeah, I also just want to ask what support asks you have for listeners, either for your defense campaigns or for anti ice organizing more broadly.
Speaker 28: Yeah, for me, we're having people call in to Daniel Rose to draw the charges and to send in letters. That's our community ask. And also to donate to the gulfunding. Yeah, I'm finding myself needing more support when it comes to just people on the side and just yeah, getting people also sustained through the movement as well through that, So yeah, don'tate to my hofund me And also if they.
Speaker 12: Can, it's inn ano letter call in and yeah.
Speaker 16: I'll just say, yeah, talk to everyone. You can, talk to your neighbors, talk to your relatives. It should be impossible for them to convict anything in Minnesota because no jury is sympathetic with these people. And the only way that happens is if there's a broad understanding of the violence that is being perpetuated in our communities in a broad support of those that are resisting it.
Speaker 25: Well, I know you both have shared the importance of creative work for you, Isabelle, do you have a poem you'd like to read or anything you want to share?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I can read a poem real quick.
Speaker 28: Since I can't really speak much about what happened that day I wrote this. When I walked outside, I saw staring back at me, cold presence stirring an earthquake in my body. Do I freeze or do I run? I ask myself? Did my parents have the time to ask themselves this when they left the Motherland? If I run, I might slip into its breue arms and be caught by its cages. If I freeze, will it drown out all the warmth of my family?
Speaker 12: Let inside of me?
Speaker 28: Will the couffing freeze the southern sun and my blood veins just to be as numb as them?
Speaker 12: The cold thrives in control. The order of ignorance can thrive an unconscious and vulnerable pride. I never thought their.
Speaker 28: Hands could be as brown as mine, as young as mine, as desperate for safety. That it folds into another version of insanity. The wrong ice is melting, and the warmth of brown and black bodies are freezing.
Speaker 4: Can I walk back.
Speaker 12: Into the pattern of survival? My lineage taught me to flourish instead of freezing in the numbing of society.
Speaker 4: Wow, thank you? Does that have a name?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's ice or ice freeze something like that.
Speaker 4: Still am.
Speaker 27: Unapologetically, unapologetically myself.
Speaker 25: We recorded this episode in the first half of February in twenty twenty six. It's March now, so here's a couple updates. Since recording, eight of the federal defendants have had their charges dismissed and many have been offered misdemeanor deals. We also now know that there are over one hundred protesters facing state level charges, mostly misdemeanors. The aftermath of repression in the form of criminal cases from this time will likely continue for years, if not decades to come. And another update, thousands of agents have left the Twin Cities. I get to see my neighbors out of their houses a little more often now, but daily life is still colored by ongoing abductions, disappeared family members, and shock waves of state violence that have hit our migrant neighbors. I know I said it in the beginning, but just to say it to close. As much as there is devastating violence and terror happening here, there is incredibly magnificent resistance and community connection happening every single day. Neighbors are showing up and stopping abductions, They're watching people get killed in the street for doing it, and they're showing up the next day to continue. There's a kind of fearlessness and a kind of love that is in this community that I've never seen anywhere else. So as much as things are horrible, things are also beautiful. And I want you to know that. The theme music you heard in this episode was the song Star by twofa one, a Dakota and bariqua artist based out of Minneapolis.
Speaker 4: Check out their other.
Speaker 20: Music from the South from Everywhere.
Speaker 25: If you like this episode, check out the show Outlaw wherever you get your podcasts, throw us a rate review, and follow Outlaw pod on Instagram and Blue Sky. To close the episode, here's a song written in Minneapolis during the surge. I think it captures some feeling of being here.
Speaker 19: Never broad someone back from the dead. Justice never broad someone back from the dead. Justice never broad someone back from the dead, just as never brid someone.
Speaker 4: Back from the dad.
Speaker 20: Just that, never.
Speaker 2: Broad someone back from the dead.
Speaker 4: Way are you telling me, wait.
Speaker 2: Like someone wealth be saved?
Speaker 20: Are you telling me?
Speaker 4: Are you telling me that justice were.
Speaker 19: Somehow saved, never gonna get back their days?
Speaker 4: Welcome to It could Happen, a podcast about tariffs and how to justify them. I am your host, Mio Wong, and today we are talking about tariffs, the Supreme Court ruling and how Trump is manufacturing a crisis to justify the next set of tariffs that he has imposed. Oh boy, So all right to recap our last tariff segment, so people understand what I'm talking about when I talk about the Supreme Court ruling from a few weeks ago. So, Trump had been claiming the ability to do tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, an act that famously never says the word tariff, and the Supreme Court was like, no, actually, that the International Economic Powers Act does not give you the power to levy tariffs, a thing that it does not say that you can do. So Trump got extremely mad about this, and he imposed a ten percent tariff across the board using a different law, as he said he was going to do. Now, this ten percent across the board tariff was run through section one twenty two of the Trade Act of nineteen seventy four. We're going to get into that, okay. So he imposes a ten percent tariff using this like different authority from section one twenty two, and the next day he goes, I'm going to raise the tariff right to fifteen percents, and this is the teriff rate on the entire world. But then he just forgot to do it because he got distracted by, i think, invading Iran. So he has never actually, you know, raised the tariff rate to fifteen percent, which he said that he had done. So it's now just at ten percent on the entire world instead of you know, all of the sort of individual country terifts that have been in place before. And that's sort of the focus of today's episode is about these tariffs, because these tariffs are already being challenged in court, and I think that that challenge has a very very good chance of winning fairly easily. And the reason that those tariffs have a very good chance of being overturned by the courts is that unlike the IEPA tarriffs that he was using, where he was claiming illegally the authority to just do whatever he wanted. This is why you would wake up in the morning and there's like one hundred percent teriff on China, like seven hundred percent tariff of Vietnam. Blah blah blah blah blah. Trump was claiming that that Act let him do whatever he wanted. It did not. Court found that he did not. But that was how he was using tariffs, and it was the basis of how he was using terrors for diplomacy, right. You know, he would put a tariff on someone at random, claiming this power, and then he would like enter negotiations with them. And he can't do that anymore. Now what he's done in its place is again imposed this terriff's using section one twenty two of the Trade Act. Now this authority is very, very different than the authority Trump was claiming before. I'm just going to read it because it mostly explains itself. Do not worry about the international payment problems or balance payments deficit that it mentions at the beginning. We're going to go over that in a second. What's important for our purposes here is that in order to put tariffs into effect, quote, whenever fundamental international payment problems require special import measures to restrict imports one to deal with large and serious United States balance of payments deficits, two to prevent an imminent and significant depreciation of the dollar in foreign exchange markets, or three to cooperate with other countries in correcting an international balance of payments disequilibrium. The President shall proclaim for a period not exceeding one hundred and fifty days, unless such a period is extended by a Nact of Congress, a temporary surch charge not to exceed fifteen percent out of lorum in the form of duties in addition to those already opposed if any article is imported into the US. Okay, so let's look at the limits first, right. Instead of any rate of tariff on any country, which is what Trump had been doing, Section one twenty two only lets you set an up to fifteen percent tariff on every country in the world and only lasts for one hundred and fifty days unless Congress votes to approve it. This sets up a giant fight in Congress that Trump is not going to win. Now. We may never get to that point because the same right wing legal group who funded the lawsuit that overturned the IEPA stuff is going after Section one twenty two and they're going to win now. They're going to win because Section one twenty two has literally never been implemented before. The tariffs specifically never been implemented. There is a reason for that, and the reason is that to even deploy Section one twenty two tariffs in the first place, you need quote fundamental international payment problems. One to deal with large and serious United States balance of payments deficits to the print dollar depreciation, and cooperation with other countries to correct international ballots of payments disequilibrium. So those are very specific conditions. What does that mean? What does it mean for there to be a problem with balance of payments? This requires us to understand what the fuck balance of payments is. And it is here where I am fulfilling my promise from that Executive Disorder episode where I said I will explain it in the full episode. All right, we're doing it, and oh fucking boy, are you in for it, because Jesus Christ, oh my god, holy shit, this stuff is annoyingly convoluted. But it is also extremely important to how the global economy functions, how it's changed, and you know, it's not really relevant for the US at all, for reasons we will get into, but it is extremely relevant for the economies of a bunch of developing countries. So, okay, let's start off with balance of payments. So what is the balance of payments? I'm just gonna start off by quoting the Saint Louis Federal Reserve Balance of payments. Quote is a summary of all the transactions involving goods, services, and investments between one country and all other countries over a given time. Any transaction that causes money to flow into a country is a credit to balance payment accounts, and any transaction that flows out is a debt. So this is a record of literally every purchase in capital movement that goes in and out of a country. Right, So it's goods services, debt payments, and things can either be credits or debts. This is the FED explains. You know things that are debts, right, Things that like make your account go lower is you know, debt payments, capital transfer payments, like buying imports. If you were importing stuff from China, that is a debt. And then there are things that are credits to make account go up. So that's other countries paying for exports, capital transfer receipts, and you know financial assets and that's other countries paying for your exports. So this is tracked in like two accounts. There's a capital and finances account. I'm just gonna call it the capital account because that's the most common name for it, and it's shorter. So there's the capital account that is all movement of capital in and out of the country, and then there's a current account, which is like a trade record of all goods and services. Technically there's also stuff from like interest from an investment goes there, but we don't really care about that for our purposes. The current account is the account that's like trade, and then there's a capital account, which is the account that's all of the capital moving in and out. Now, importantly, these two accounts, right, these two accounts compose balance of trade. Right, this record has two accounts in it. Those are the two accounts. If you line up all the credits and debits and then they cancel out and equal zero. The value of all goods being imported or exported, as as services and stuff like that too, is the same as the amount of capital moving in and out of the country. The two accounts will cancel out. And this is what's really confusing about balance of payments, because why the fuck is that true? Right? Why are the capital flows and trade balance Why can't you have an imbalance? And the answer is that's how the accounting system works. And the reason the accounting system like that is because of what balance of payments is now. Weirdly, if you want a more detailed explanation, there are a billion detailed explanations that are extremely convoluted and annoying. The Reserve Bank of Australia weirdly has like a readable one for people who aren't like engrossed and financial stuff. However, come up, I'm going to try to explain it. So, balance of payments is the record of everything that moves in and out of a country, you know, So that's goods, that services, that's money, it's stocked. When I say it tracks everything, right, was a record of everything? That means it's recording both sides of a transaction. So what does that mean? Okay, imagine a receipt, right, it's a receipt for a burger. You have bought one hamburger. On the receipt is the thing you bought, the burger and how much it cost, which is the money you pay for it. Balance of payments tracks both the burger and the money you paid for it. Because it tracked international trade, right, it's tracking international movement of stuff, and because both the burger and the money changed hands across borders. Right, it tracks both of them. And that is why when you put all the credits and debts from both accounts together, it adds to zero, right, because you know, think about like the net transfer of funds on that burger. Right, on the one hand, there is the burger, and on the other hand there is you know, how much money you paid for the burger, and those two things are equivalent. Right. The value of the burger is how much it's worth, So okay, that means that in the accounting of it, right, the account on the receipt, which shows both of these things is balanced because it's tracking both of them, right. And this is the same way it works for an investment. You buy shares of a company, So okay, there's the money for the shares and the shares themselves, and they're both being tracked and they both go into the record that balance of payments keeps. So there are some convoluted things about this, and this is the reason why you need to combine both accounts instead of each account being balanced by themselves, because sometimes the record of the burger goes in one account and the record of the money for that burger goes at a different account This is convoluted. It's because of how income is classified. It's a mess. You can go read the Berserve Bank of Australia. But that's why you need both accounts together to get the balance of payments, right, because both the burger and the money for the burger are in the balance of payments somewhere, but they might go in different accounts, so you need to put them together. And that's how you get the balance of payments. And see that's why it's called the balance of payments, right, they balance out. See now you're getting it. Now you're getting it. This is why it always bounces out to zero because it's the balance of both the money and the object. Right. So sharp eared listeners may be going, wait, hold on. So Section one twenty two, which is where the tarifts are from, is about a deficit in the balance of payments. How can you have a deficit if it always balances out to zero? And the answer is, technically speaking, you can't. So Okay, what the fuck is going on here? Why is Trump using and Trump stifically is claiming that there's a balance of payments deficit and there's a crisis in order to impose these tariffs. So what is going on here? Why does this law exist? You will find out after these ads whoa cliffhanger? A. So to explain what is going on here, we need to take a detour back in time to when this was written. This Act was written in nineteen seventy four, but we need to go back a little further to nineteen seventy one. Now, in nineteen seventy one, Richard Nixon makes probably the most consequential in a macro sense, change to how currency functions on a global scale in probably half a millennia when he pulled US off the gold standard. So what does this mean? It means that Nixon ended what was called dollar convertibility, or the ability to go to the government and trade your dollar for a certain amount of gold. So this fixes the value of the dollar to the value of gold. So the value of your currency is sort of relatively constant in that like it's this much gold, right, But it means that your macroeconomic policy is constrained by your gold supply. So why did Nixon take the US off the gold standard? And what does SAVA do with balance of payments? Surprisingly everything? So, okay, what I've been describing about balance of payments. I've been describing modern balance of payments. If you go back and read stuff from the FED from this era, when they talk about balance of payments or talking about flows of gold. In this period, every dollar that leaves the country represents an amount of gold, and the more of it that leaves the country, the more sure that puts on the US gold reserves, because you know, there's less and less of it. This is what they're talking about when they talk about balance of payments.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 4: What's what's interesting here, and this is something that's important for our modern purposes, is that the problem that the US was facing in the fifties and sixties that causes Nixon to do this when they're talking about having balance of payments deficits, which they are in this period, right. And this is why this law is written, is because this is a period where this stuff is talked about. The problem isn't a trade deficit, right, And this is very important. Trade deficits and balance of payments deficits not the same thing at all. In fact, in this whole period when the US is running these massive balanced payments deficits to become a problem, they have a trade surplus. Right, they have a trade surplus. So like, okay, how are they like losing gold then, right, like, how are dollars flowing out of the country. Well, it turns out that what's actually making this a balance of account deficit, where like dollars are leaving the economy, which means gold leaving the US's vaults, is that the US is spending too much of its military. It's always speaking military spending. It is always fucking military spending. Holy shit, It's the reason everything is broken. It's it's literally just always military spending. We're spending too much gold on the damn military. Right. So the deficit and you were you're talking about a bounce payments deficit. The actual deficit is that in order to pay for wars and to do military bases, they are spending money in other countries. And this is technically like part of the bounce of payments, right, because it's money leaving the country. And you know, like technically speaking, the balance of payments as we've been talking about it, right, like the account is balanced, but we keep spending dollars in order to obtain military bases and then also in order to bomb Korea and Vietnam, and the dollars have to come from somewhere. Now, again, the dollar at this point is gold. It represents a fixed amount of gold that the US has, and those dollars are coming from the US government, so that that's what the actual quote unquote deficit is in this case. Right, you will see this described as like, oh my god, they're paying for stuff from the current account for the capitol count.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: No, no, technically yes, but like, like, what's actually happening here is that the US, Right, it's gold leaving the country because the US is having to buy shit for a military basis, right, and it's not getting enough gold back from trade to replenish the amount of gold that the US is spending on these military bases. Now, in theory, this is fine because it's technically speaking, you're spending dollars, and as long as no one tries to actually convert those dollars into gold, you'll be okay. Enter one Charles de Gaulle, president of France, who begins to unmasks convert American dollars into gold in order to end the dollar's reign as the world reserve currency. Because it was pissed off at the US running the world. This is not like Charles de Gaull, anti imperialist. De Gaull does not want like the end of imperialism. Degaull wants there to be equal footing, or more equal footing between the different impure powers. Right. He just wants France to be like a major world power, imperialist power as well. Right. The power the US gets from being the world reserve currency is extremely important. So what is the reserve currency? The reserve currency is the currency that, like all global trade is done in. And because it's the currency that all global trade is done in, all of the world's central banks have to hold like a bunch of that currency, right, And that that's why it's called the reserve currency. But I say all of the world central banks have to hold it except for the United States, which does not have to hold dollars because it's our fucking currency and if we want more, we can just print more. Right. So this is time they called like seniorage privilege. But like that, the power of this right is enormous, and the dollar status is the reserve currency is actually really important to us in terms of explaining these sort of balance of payments deficits and crises. So, okay, here's a Saint Louis fed on why countries have to hold wood reserve currencies.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 4: Governments and or es. Central banks keep you know, like reserve currency on hand for several reasons, including exchange management, insurance against sudden loss of ability to pay for imports caused by a halt capital inflows such as foreign direct investment to the domestic market, foreign purchases of domestic stocks or balls, or domestic borrowing from the rest of the world. Insurance for other economic contingencies such as wars or natural disasters. Now, the second one is what's of concern to us, right, it's insurance against sudden loss of ability to pay for imports. And that's what's commonly known as a balance of payments crisis in the current day, when you run out of dollars to pay for your imports or to pay for your foreign debt, which is a real issue too, right, Usually your money goes to the foreign debt and then you're out of currency and then you can't you know, like import more shit. This is a balance of payments crisis, and they're actually pretty common or decently common in a bunch of developing countries, and they are almost always completely catastrophic. It's one of the foremost causes of modern revolutions because when you have one of these balance of payments crises, you can't afford to fucking import things because you don't have enough dollars. You can't import oil or you know, fertilizer or food because you don't have enough dollars to do it, and your government has gone through all of the dollar reserves. As I talked about in the ED, Sri Lanka is probably the most recent example that the country you know, just ran out of dollars to purchase shit with, and the ensuing unbelievably hideous shit that everyone had to suffer through cause people to burn down the president's fucking mansion. You will know, and I said, this is before you will know if the US has a bounance of payments crisis, because you will see the smoke and flames outside of your window, and it's such. It's like Sri Lanka, right like the revolution in Sudan. Like the reason that there's a civil war in Sudan right now to some extent is because of one of these crises that set off a revolution. Even though you know What usually happens in these cases, right, is that a country has one of these crises, and that someone, usually the International Monetary Fund, will give them a loan, and so they will give them dollars in exchange for you know, like turning the entire economy of that country into a debt servicing machine, which means, you know, like taking food out of the mouths of babies to pay that debt back. And this also often causes revolutions, right, Like, so, like Sudan had a balance of payments crisis and in like twenty eighteen, late twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and they eventually got an IMF bailout deal, but like the price of bread increased by two hundred fifty percent and people drove omer al Basher out of power. However, come U, you will note that I have been saying that these crises are caused because countries run out of dollars. But we can't run out of dollars because those are United States dollars. We can just fucking print them. We literally cannot have this kind of bounce of payments crisis because it's all our own money, and we can just print shit in our own money. Jesus Christ, this is so silly, losing my mind, Like it's not possible, you can't do it. Oh my god. Now, however, why is the law like this, right, Like, why is there a law written talking about the US as if it could have a bowets of payments deficit? Again, Like, right up until nineteen seventy one, when Nixon took the US off the gold standard, it actually was possible to, you know, make the US run out of dollars because you could run out of gold. And this is what like the goal was trying to do, you know, by like making the US convert all his dollars into gold. But Nixon just said, fuck it. The dollars of floating currency now, and since its value isn't pegged to a certain amount of anything else, right, And that's the way it's been ever since, we can't have these crises. Now. The countries that have these crises in modern day are ones that peg their currency to like a specific amount of dollars, right, And they tend to run out of the reserves trying to like stabilize the value of their currency by offering conversions of their currency into the dollar at the official rate, by like letting people go convert their currency as of dollars. But again, we can't have that because it's dollars. We owe shit in dollars. And also, in order to have like a full on balance payments crisis where you can't pay for things right, it requires no one to be like willing to lend you money. And it's like, okay, like who is not going to lend the United States of America money? Like are you kidding me? This is this is the fagas crisis of all time. This bill, however, was passed again in like nineteen seventy four, and it was only three years after the US was off the gold standard, and so people were like, Okay, we're going to do this thing in case we ever go back to a situation where this stuff is possible. But right now, like we literally structurally cannot have a balance of payments crisis, Like we can't have one. You can't have a balance of payments deficits. This is not the same as a trade deficit. Trump is trying to argue that's, oh, we have a trade deficit. Our current's account, which is like the trade account is like four percent below balance. But then if you look at the capital account and you put them together a balances because that's just how it works. Oh, that means we're in trouble and nonsense, absolutely bullshit. He's also claiming that there's like fundamental international payment problems, which I know there aren't, because fundamental international payment problems means you can't pay for your imports or like your debt, and if we weren't able to do that, you would all know. So, ah, they're going to lose this lawsuit because this is the fakest crisis that has ever existed. And now you know how fake it is, and also what balance of payments is you know? Okay, I'm going to close on a story about this, which is that there is a scenario in which this knowledge has actually saved countries before, and specifically, like the country that this saved was Cuba. There's like the Cuban Revolution, right, and immediately after the Cuban Revolution, the government it's not like at their communists. Yet there's this very very short window where it's like not quite entirely clear what the fuck is going to be going on with this new like Cuban government, and the government sends chay Guevara to the US to negotiate with a bunch of American banks, right, and che Guevara actually understands this stuff, right, he knows a balance of payments is, he knows he's able to like talk to all of the sort of Manhattan bankers who are talking about this stuff on their terms, right, and like they literally literally the line they say about it was like, yeah, he talks like a banker, right, he understands bounce of payments, He understands all of this stuff and what he's able to do. And this is critically like why the nation of Cuba, like like why the Cuban Revolution succeeded was that he was able to get the US to give him all of his gold. But because he was able to convince these bankers, because he understood what they were talking about in their language, and these able convinced the US governments to get him all this fucking gold because he understood how the shit works. And that's why Cuba was like functional as a country after that, because they had managed to get all of their gold reserves, which previously had been being held in the US. So you know, you never know when you too might be at the head of a better revolution or you might be the one person in the new Revolutionary Coalition who understands what balance of payments is and you too, can get your gold out of the United States before the government realizes that you're communists and like would have like locked it down and frozen it and taken the gold. So this is what it could happen here, the podcast that helps you take your country's gold reserves like che guevara, Oh.
Speaker 3: Boy, this is it could happen here. Executive Disorder our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House. They're crumbling world and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today and joined by James Stout Robert Evans, with a segment later on by Mia Wong. This episode, we are covering the week of March fourth to March eleventh. Some small news items here at the top. Ahead of National Espresso Martini Day this Sunday, Buffalo Wild Wings is releasing a wing flavored espresso Proteiny cocktail made with muscle milk protein powder infused with the Buffalo Dry rub, which also coats the rim of the glass.
Speaker 2: I gotta say when we stationed a reporter permanently at Buffalo Wild Wings headquarters. A lot of people said why not somewhere in one of the many war zones in the world. You know, why not in Washington, DC in the press corps. And I shouted that person down until they cried. And today today I've been proven right.
Speaker 3: We will be doing a detailed report on the espresso proteiny next week, anxiously awaiting the release of it this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not touching that shit. Yes, I am excited that they have finally decided to put muscle milk powder in an espresso martini.
Speaker 15: It's one of the fouls. Every word in this sentence gets worse. The dry rub, I think, is much more dangerous.
Speaker 2: Frankly, it's the dry raum muscle milk combo. You're gonna be sneezing as you drink it. It's imagine if someone had just come out with spicy packs of muscle milk, like pre mixed muscle milk that.
Speaker 15: Was on spice. I'd be shocked, and that didn't already exist. To be honest, I mean it, it'll kill you, It'll kill your toilet.
Speaker 2: What is beautiful to me though, and what I should not? This goes back to our sponsor's buffalo wild wings caring very deeply about human beings. Muscle milk is in the bottom third of protein powders when it comes to lead exposure. Now that's still more lead than you're supposed to have the bottom third.
Speaker 4: It's one of the better ones.
Speaker 2: It's one of the better ones.
Speaker 3: Few other small news items. Erica Kirk has been appointed to the Air Force Academy Board of Visitors.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Aerica air Force makes sense.
Speaker 4: Charlie Kirk also is heard on this board.
Speaker 3: And Ben Shapiro's eyebrows are not actually that big. Those videos are manipulated media.
Speaker 2: I saw those and I knew they were fake and chose not to prove to myself that they were fake because I needed something that day. But I guess I'm okay today.
Speaker 15: I haven't seen these. Oh wow, I'm just seeing these for the first time.
Speaker 27: Wow.
Speaker 15: It's like a caterpillar has crawled up there.
Speaker 2: The beauty of how the meme worked is that I saw it for the first time right after waking up, and I was like, well, that's got to be fake. And then I saw five more pictures of different pictures with the eyebrows, and so I got this beautiful moment and it was it wasn't more than about a minute, but this moment of magic, like when you're a child on Christmas morning, like this might be real. Maybe this is real.
Speaker 3: It's one of the more useful uses for ai jen a altered videos.
Speaker 2: It's turned me around.
Speaker 3: You could apply like the you know, these these very subtle changes to a lot of different videos fairly quickly. So it's not just one you know, photoshopped or like you know, visual effects video, but there's like five, you know, handheld cell phone videos that look pretty genuine and if you just make enough of them, you're like, oh this this, this seems this seems real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean, Garrison, you're bringing up the part of this that actually is evidence of a danger. But let's all just enjoy this for just a second more. Okay, we're done.
Speaker 15: Hundreds of people have returned to a free after having been removed nine years ago, in some cases by Turkey proxy forces and s and a many of them will have returned to find their orchids and their homes destroyed, but at least now they can begin to rebuild.
Speaker 2: For an idea of how important a fhrene was like one of the most common nom du gueers that I came across when talking to YEPG and WYITEPG fighters was have Al Lafreen, Like it's a name that you pick because you're not going to use your real name as a revolutionary fighter. And a lot of people, some of them came from a friend, some of them was just a symbol of you know what the Curds had lost due to Turkish military aggression. Yeah, but this is a very big deal for them.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's like, I know I've been critical of STG, but like I'm glad to see this happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Also in Syria, Sipan Himo has been appointed as a Deputy Minister of Defense for Eastern Syria, which would be I guess the way they're dividing up now would be the area which include Syrian Kurdistan.
Speaker 2: And we just.
Speaker 15: Learned today very sadly that Salam Muslim, who's one of the co chairs of the PYD, the Democratic Union Party, has passed away, which is yeah, pretty sad.
Speaker 2: Rest in peace.
Speaker 3: Last week, the Department of Justice finally released some of the missing files related to four interviews between nineteen with a protected source who claimed that Epstein introduced her to Trump in the eighties when she was between the ages of thirteen and fifteen, and that Trump has actually abused her. The released documents r FBI memos summarizing three interviews and a crisis intake form. Yeah, this victim received a financial settlement from the FSCNA state in twenty twenty one. An NPR found that there are still thirty seven missing pages related to these interviews.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's also worth noting that the FBI is currently looking into Zoro Ranch. What was lunch Zoro Ranch in New Mexico. This was Jeffrey Epstein's New Mexico property, and it's where he talked a lot about when he would talk about his plans to like breed a bunch of children and stuff with his DNA or whatever he like. Zoro Ranch was the epicenter of this, and it's become clear in the documents release that in terms of the amount of trafficking and the amount of abuse of trafficked children that was done there at least equal to his island. Now, this ranch goes under a new name and it's owned by a new person, and we'll talk about who exactly that is in a second. But there were several attempts by local law enforcement to investigate the ranch, particularly to dig for human remains, but those were kind of stymied by ongoing FBI investigations that seem very shady in retrospect, given how long they waited to look for bodies on the ranch. But they're doing that now. I don't know if they're going to find anything. A lot of the talk about bodies is in like individual anonymous reports that said, I'm glad they're looking. They should be looking at this ranch. And now I can give the promised punchline, which is that the current guy who owns Jeffrey Epstein's ranch is Don Hauffines, who's running for state comptroller in Texas and who used to run one of the big dealerships in my childhood. Huffines has it in this case, Huffins might have evidence that Jeffrey Epstein murdered people. Great is that is bleak.
Speaker 15: Let's start with Christy no As we reported last week, it looks like Christi Nome's time at the Department of Homeland Security is about to come to an end. Did seem that at the time that Trump announced this via truth Noome was unaware of her removal and at this footage of her speaking at an event as people become aware that she's lost her job. But shortly afterwards, she posted on x dot com the Everything website, thank you at potus for appointing me as a special envoy for Shield of the Americas. When you see this Shield of the America's this is not Christian. When you see the Shield of America's website, you will fucking be laughing. Then at SEC Rubio and a SEC War are incredible leaders and I look forward to working with them closely to dismantle cartels poured drugs into our nation and killed our children and grandchildren.
Speaker 2: That There's a lot more in this tweet. Yeah, I appreciate how Trump congratulated on being an excellent Secretary of in quotation Mark's homeland. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, good stuff. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 15: There has been some speculation about known being fired because of vehicles that she purchased for DHS. I've linked to a bunch of those contracts. I found the contracts that money is relatively trivial when you look at the massive budget that they have, and I'm really not sure that this was a reason, and I've seen no evidence to suggest that it was. What I have seen is that Gnome is going to be replaced by Mark Wayne Mullen. Mullen is a bombastic MAGA supporter. He's probably best known with trying to start a fight in Congress with Sean O'Brien and generally being an extremely loyal support of Trump in all cases, apart from January sixth, where for a while he supported prosecutions. Now he's much more like equivocating on that. He also at one point attempted to set up his own evacuation of US citizens from Afghanistan during the Biden deministration. He is an enrolled citizen the Cherokee Nation, which, as I commented before, has been the source of far too many democratic critiques which are really kind of disgusting and bigoted.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 15: God, there are so many things to be upset about Quae Munnin about, and being Cherokee is not one of them. And like policing how you think indigenous people should look or suggesting that like, yeah, he doesn't fit your trope of indigenous people is in itself bigoted and offensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as a general rule, if you're like finding reasons or reading someone else who's finding reasons to say this person who has lived their entire life as a member of this tribe, isn't really that you're basing it on some form of racist US government logic from one decade or another, because it's changed over time, as opposed to how the tribe actually considers membership. Right, which, yeah, is it? I guess what should matter most. I don't. I shouldn't have an opinion on it either way.
Speaker 15: But it's not what you claim, it's who claims you away. I've had it right right exactly. It's like the way family.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I shouldn't say anymore because it's not my fucking place.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I wish other people would adopt the same science. Mullin is a really big border hawk. He's been incredibly combative in Congress. I don't think that this will make DHS any less aggressive or violent. Clearly, Gnomes Tenure had become unpopular right in the same way that Baveno had become unpopular. But I don't think this signals a dramatic change in DHS leadership or you know, towards respecting people's basic dignity and rights. Now, I want to talk a little bit about the Shield of the Americas. The program was announced last weekend at Trump's golf resort in southern Florida. It currently has a web page with it a really incredible placeholder graphic. Maybe I should just share this. If you go to Shield of the America's.
Speaker 3: Dot site, I was wondering if that was a real website. I think it is, like, do we know that that's actually what they.
Speaker 15: So I'm a little unsure because I couldn't find like a government contract for like the website hosting right that. I don't think I've ever found a government contract to the website hosting. So it's a placeholder. And then it has videos. If you click access content, it appears to be essentially like a drop box huh for videos of the Shield of the America's event. Yeah, it seems to be real.
Speaker 3: It does seem to be based on the inclusion of these videos. But the main page with the with the little shit.
Speaker 15: That's definitely their logo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like it's from two thousand and five in the most enduring way possible.
Speaker 15: You know, someone booted up Microsoft paint and went to town on this.
Speaker 2: Someone had graphic design as a passion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks kind of Gi Joe ask, it looks kind of like American Ninja Warrior ass Yeah. Like it's it's a very specific, like an era of of design choices.
Speaker 15: Here this shield graphic, it's fascinating much to discuss anyway, Moving past a graphic currently, the agreement. The Shield of America's agreement was signed by representatives from Argentina, Bolivia, Costanica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guyana, Honduras, Panama, of Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United States. Evidently, for those keeping track of countries in the Americas, it's leaves Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela, along with other Caribbean island nations. There was also a representative from Chile's president elect, who obviously couldn't sign because they don't have the authority to do so. Yet, what it seems to be is an extension of what we've seen already right of the quote unquote Donroe doctrine.
Speaker 2: Can we just call it the Trump doctrine? Why do we gotta do this?
Speaker 3: I think the don Road auction actually is the correct way to refer to it, as.
Speaker 15: I just Trump himself has used it and it annoys me. Unfortunately, so annoys me. Yeah, me both, buddy.
Speaker 2: I know it's what he calls it, but it annoys me. It's extremely unfortunate.
Speaker 3: But it also links it to an actual lineage of US foreign policy behavior.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 15: The Trump corollary to the Monroe doctrine would perhaps have been a more conventional way.
Speaker 2: That would be the dignified way to refer to it. That would be the way like a historian would hope to refer to it.
Speaker 15: The Unfortunately, dignity is not a thing that it's abounding.
Speaker 2: At this time. No, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not first as tragedy, second as first yeah, and then it's really big fast.
Speaker 15: I guess the best way to explain Short of America is is to explain the conference it was hosted the day before at Trump's golf resort, which was the Department of Defense, sometimes referred to as the Department of War.
Speaker 3: But not when they're talking about military action in Iran, in which it's the Department of Defense again.
Speaker 15: Yeah yeah, yeah, Well, because that's not a war. The DD hosted the America's Countercutel Conference. The correct a brief and according to the Secretary of Defense is AC three. Just so you know, and I think it's best to explain this with the strikes that were carried out just a few days before this, right on the third of Marty in the six so much southcomb so that that would be the US Regional Command, which encompasses South America and Central America, announced it quote launched operations against quote designated terrorist organizations in Ecuador.
Speaker 2: We saw videos of.
Speaker 15: Like these very small, very isolated jungle outposts being struck, and then we saw videos of helicopters deploying troops who did not appear to be United States troops. It's uncle exactly like what the munitions or what the thing doing that the strike at the start of those videos were. But it seems that the US is working at the very least with Ecuadorian troops. Potentially, the US is just there to quote unquote train, advise, and assist, right, but it signals a much more like VI approach to this anti cartel mission. Yeah, in this case, the two groups Los Jooneiros and Los Lobos, they were both listed as foreign terrorist organizations and specially designated global terrorists in September of last year.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen.
Speaker 15: That link made anywhere else explicitly in reference to this strike, but the fact that they used They didn't use FTO in the statement, right. They used dto designated terrorist organizations, and there are a few different ways an organization can be designated as a terrorist. But given that there are two that are listed as ftos, and that those two are the most acquid in the region, I think we can assume that that's who it was against. They also added the Clandale Golfer right. The golf cartel would be how people refer to in English in December of twenty five to the FTO list. I didn't pick this up at the time, and again I haven't seen a great deal of reporting on it. The reason this concerns me is that it pertains to the trig bar terrorism related in admissibility guidelines. The trig bar can bar people for being admissible to the United States, and it could be a serious barrier to migrants. Organizations can be considered terrorists for the purpose of the trig bar if they are not ftos, But the addition of the golf Cartel to the FTO list will make it very hard for people seeking asylum in the United States who have crossed a Darien, because it is not possible for them to do that, at least if they are coming from south to north, which was a durction of travel until twenty twenty five, without transiting golf Cartel territory, and it would not be possible for that to happen without interacting with them in some way. And so this is just potentially very concerning. I want to do more reporting on the trig bar pursuing that with some public records requests, which will just take some time. Trump has very clearly made the link between this coalition and the much larger international coalition against the Islamic State. I've said this before, but he clearly sees Operation Inherent Resolve as a very successful model for foreign policy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I especially think the.
Speaker 15: Model of the it was called talent anvil, but the strike cell that they had in Syria is one that he thinks is a very successful model. I've written about a link to a piece I wrote about this in my newsletter. But Robert, do you want to go ahead there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I should start with a little update on our ongoing story, which is that America is out of bullets. Or running out of bullets, not literal bullets, there's plenty of those, yeah, and also those in America. But the actual munitions that we use to intercept both drones and ballistic missiles, couple of things have happened since the start of our war with Iran. We've moved a significant chunk, if not the absolute majority, it's a little unclear, of the anti missile and anti drone weaponry, the major stuff that we had protecting other parts of the world that the United States has bases in like South Korea, over to the Middle East and over to intercept Iranian missiles primarily headed either towards US forces or most often to Israel. But even with all of the shit that we've redeployed from other areas, there's only so many of the munitions that we use because they're very expensive, and particularly the drones that are on is using, like the Shahed drones, are very cheap. So starting at kind of the start of hostilities, we were looking about six point seven percent Iranian drones got through. The intercept got through. And this is just in the UAE, but you can assume that it's fairly accurate to other theaters, right because we have a lot of missile defense and a lot of drone events in the UAE. So at the start of hostilities, about six points seven percent of Iranian Shaheed drones we're getting through the UAE's differences.
Speaker 15: Stop it, huh, there is a thing, rubbit that younger people do.
Speaker 2: Yes, the six seventh thing. Yes, I know, it's funny. Aron did that just for the Zoomers or the jinn Alfas whatever. Anyway, that's February, like twenty eighth. By March tenth, more than twenty five percent of Iranian drones are getting through the UAE's interception defenses. Oh wow. There hasn't been a massive change in the rate of ballistic missile interceptions yet, which suggests that at least we're not running on empty. But that's not good, right, that's a massive change. Like, that's a massive issue. So we'll continue. I'll be doing a whole episode on how the US is running out of bullets. Bullets being you know, a stand in tern for more advanced munitions. But I've got something else to talk about right now that's also involved in the Iranian theater. Particularly, I'm going to talk about mines in the Strait of Hormuz. Let's do some adds for products that you may not be able to buy if naval traffic is interdicted through the Strait of horm Moos so by him now, so get him now books. So there's an evidence that's come out kind of in the last couple of days. I start broken on the New Republic, But I believe CBS News was the origin point that Iran started laying minds in the Strait before Donald Trump publicly declared he was going, he wanted to take it over. So basically, after we killed a huge chunk of the Iranian government, Trump started public amusing, maybe we'll just take over the Strait of horror moves, and Iran started mining the shit out of it. Now, this is a problem for a lot of reasons. For one thing, the Strait is probably the most I mean, it's arguably the most important energy transit point on planet Earth, right Like, it's about a fifth of all crude oil shipments go through the Strait. Ye, that's not the only thing that goes through there, but it is an incredible amount of the world's crude oil supply travels through this strait. And Tehran's always kind of had the option of closing it by just dumping a bunch of mines in there. Mines are incredibly cheap. You can drop mines from very small boats. The US Navy is very good at blowing up big boats, but if you have a shipload of small boats that have a shitload of mines, it's basically impossible to stop an adversary like Iran from laying a fuckload of mines. And that will make it basically untenable financially for anyone to run oil through the strait. If you never know if one of your boats is going to get hit by a fucking sea mine, it makes it hard to get insure to run a boat through the strait of horn moves. Most of these mines are not capable of I mean, these minds in general are not capable of destroying the kind of bolt callars that.
Speaker 4: Move crude through.
Speaker 2: They're not going to blow the boat out of the water immediately, but they're going to damage it, and they have a very good chance, because these boats are filled with crude fucking oil, of lighting them on fire. And that causes a serious problem for the crew.
Speaker 5: Of any boat.
Speaker 2: I want you to I shouldn't have to explain why that creates a serious problem with the crew of any boat that's filled with crude oil. Right, it's pretty obvious that once it became clear that Iran started laying had started laying mines in the Straight, US forces claimed to have sunk sixteen mine layers. That was from US Syncom, although it's kind of unclear because at least half of those seem to have been inactive at the time, So these may have just been bigger mind layers that we hit at the start of our attacks on their navy, and then when we realized there's going to be a news cycle about mines in the Strait, let's claim, you know, right whatever. After it came out that around had in fact been laying mines, President Trump truthed, we want them removed immediately. If for any reason, minds were placed and they are not removed forthwith I've never heard them use fourthwith before.
Speaker 15: Yes, city won for him, Yeah, yea, yeah.
Speaker 2: The military consequences to Iran will be at a level never before seen. If, on the other hand, there were movement may have been placed, it will be a giant step in the right direction. That sounds kind of desperate, and it sounds kind of desperate because the United States is in a uniquely dog shit position to deal with c minds right specifically now, we made a really funny decision, and by we, I mean the Trump administration made a really funny decision basically immediately before we declared war on Iran, a country we've known has always threatened to mine the strait of horror moves every time we fucked with them, And that funny decision was in January, the Navy decommissioned for Avengers class mine countermeasureships, which were the last mind countermeasureships we had in the Persian goal. Now we have other boats that were pretty sure can do the job, but we've never tried. And the funny thing about the boats that we're currently going to be using for to take out my mind is that they're pre existing boats that were not built to take out mines. We basically have like they're called like operations packages that you add to the boat to add capability. One of the capabilities they have these little like basically drone torpedo things that can go out and seek out mines. They've got an enhanced like radar package I guess or whatever. They're better at looking for mines because the boats that they added these packages to were not initially meant for d mining. They're littoral combat ships. Lcs's widely considered to be the worst boats in the entire US Navy. In fact, in the Navy, the acronym LCS stands for little crappy ships because they're bad. They've been very bad. Basically every time we have like tested how will these things function and like a real fight, it's the answer has been like terribly. They're not good ships. They kind of suck ass. Now we'll see if the mind countermeasures that they put on these boats like make them superior to the old Avenger class. However, there's a lot of issues with the mind countermeasure packages that they've they've been making for these and I want to read a quote from an article published by famous leftist and thus untrustworthy news source, the US Naval Institute. Quote. Initially set for an initial operational capability in twenty fifteen, the MCM package went through a development process punctuated by stops and program failures. For example, the first craft that could tow the AQS twenty son are to hunt the bulk of minds suffered reliability problems and was scrapped. The service also canceled a plan for the IMAGE sixtys to toe the AQS twenty. After years of program changes, the packages coalesced around a few core main systems. So the development of these mcum mission packages has been troubled for a very long time, which is what delayed the retirement of the Avenger class minehunters previously. And the Navy's now saying they totally work now and we're all going to find out in real time if they do. And the last funny thing I have to say is the four decommissioned to venture anti MIAs ships. Two of them at least have hilarious names. Two of them makes sense. One of them was the USS Century, perfectly reasonable name for a d mining ship. Okay. The other was the USS Dextrous. Kind of a weird name, but whatever. And then you have the USS Devastator and the USS Gladiator. What is a mine shift devastates? It's for dem it's to stop things from getting devastated. Anyway, that's my report, Okay, good to know, and let's pick up with Iran. I want to start by talking about, like the speculation regarding partner forces. I think some of it has been just like a little bit misinformed. Starways people have been talking about the Blochistan Liberation Army. They were only added to the United States FTO list last summer, which leads me to believe that the Trump administration is not positively.
Speaker 15: Disposed towards him. Right, if they've just put them on the FTO list in August of last year, one.
Speaker 2: Of the odds anyone in that administration knows where Blakistan is.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it happened shortly after they killed some some Pakistani military personnel, So I'm guessing that, yeah, just got asked to do it. It was part of the negotiation.
Speaker 29: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah. It also seems very unlikely that Trump is now willing to back a Kurdish land incursion. Invasion wouldn't be the right word. If people going into Kurdistan, it's not invasion. I have a short video here.
Speaker 2: We're about kind.
Speaker 17: Of an autonomous region.
Speaker 4: Enough they did, it's Syriami, right, We're not happy.
Speaker 17: We're not looking to the courage going in.
Speaker 2: We're very friendly with the courage, as you.
Speaker 29: Know, but we don't want to make the war any more complex than it already is.
Speaker 4: Double we don't want. Yeah, I have wrote it down.
Speaker 22: I don't want the curs going in.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see the Kurds get hurt, get killed. We've had a good relationship. They were want need to go in, but we really I've told them I don't want them to go in there.
Speaker 20: You're wrong.
Speaker 17: I just think it's the worst complicated enough without.
Speaker 2: Having Yeah, sure you would want the war to get complicated. Yeah.
Speaker 15: Also the audio quality on Fox News, say absolute, the atrocious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard. That's plains sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah, they're in a difficult situation. Yeah.
Speaker 15: So I've spoken to a couple of these Kurdish groups that people have been speculating about in the last couple of weeks. Here's part of a statement that I received from the PAK that's a Kurdistan Freedom party that refers to the US's vacillation on supporting them. Quote, the United States is working in the best possible way to mantle the Iranian regime and eliminate terrorism in the region. For over three decades, we have been fighting to expel the IIGC from Kurdistan and liberate our land. Therefore, we cannot and must not base our policies on the shifts in US rhetoric. America has its own plans regarding the overthrow and subsequent administration of Iran, and we have our plan for the liberation administration of Roger lad rojolatt referring to eastern Kurdistan.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Meanwhile, of course, for the last week, we've seen consistent bombing of Iran, including the targeting of oil and water infrastructure. Hengar is reporting horrible overcrowding and food shortages, as well as increased militarization of the Gazol Jesar prison, which holds more than sixteen thousand people. As I highlighted last week, Iran was in a water crisis before this new campaign began. Hitting water infrastructure will only increase the odds of massive human suffering and death. This is especially true it seems that Trump is somewhat growing.
Speaker 2: Tired of the war with Iran.
Speaker 15: He said in a press conference this week it would be quote inappropriate to target the newly chosen Supreme Leader of Iran. In the same press conference, Trump also repeated his claim that Iran was quote going to take over the Middle East and would have had quote a nuclear weapon within a matter of weeks if it were not for last year's Operation Midnight Hammer. He also talked about an Iranian nuclear site quote protected by granite. Both Fordoh and Natans were struck last year and have underground elements. Four DOH is about eighty meters below ground. Yeah, and that was the site that required a US strike. Israel did not have the means to knock that one out. But to the best of my knowledge, FOURDOU is now out of commission following the strikes in Operation Midnight Hammer. Rehich happening in twenty twenty five. Perhaps he's referring to another subterranean site, or perhaps he's confusing this with earlier information. Evidently, you can't just destroy uranium, right, Like, if there is a rich nuclear material, then then that is still there.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we talked about this the last time. But like, the thing that's time consuming is enriching the uranium. And there's there's no evidence that any of this has reduced the amount that Aron has access to.
Speaker 15: Yes, exactly, And according to Senator Chris Murphy, it doesn't seem like that is particularly the target at this campaign. He said most of the targets are conventional weapons facilities like drones and missile facilities. The Iranian Navy is Robert mentioned, it does not seem like they're particularly interested in regime change, and as Robert mentioned, the IIGC is still able to use many of its small civilian vessels fast attack vessels and drones. I spoke to quite a few people who are in this sort of shipping security world, and one of their concerns is, like, when they say fast attack vessels, they're talking about very small boats with mounted machine guns, right, operating in large groups and swarming tankers or other ships going through the straight ofform moods, which would be quite challenging to defend ships from, especially of their like large civilian ships, right. I know some people have been speculating about the CM three to ZHO two missiles that around ordered from China. Those are like quote unquote carrier killer missiles. I don't believe they have those yet, though they do will probably find out soon enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah boy, that would be a big day.
Speaker 15: Yeah boy, yeah, yeah, that would These things will get quite bad if if that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. I honestly like that might be for this administration. A tactical nuclear scenario like that, it would be an unprecedented loss. They'd have to do something insane to save face.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I assume US carriers have means of defense, are supposed to.
Speaker 2: They're very hard to kill. Yes, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 15: A particular like matchup that no one has seen yet because no one has been wild enough to try it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They say these are carrier killers. They're theoretically carrier yet of the defensive systems on carriers as regards missiles like that are theoretical too, because it hasn't happened.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's not many people have aircraft carriers, and the people who do, you don't want to piss off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Finally, I guess I want to talk about the Senator Blumenthal who raised the alarm in a congressional briefing this week. He's a clip.
Speaker 22: I emerged from this briefing as dissatisfied and angry, frankly, as I have from any past briefing in my fifteen years in the Senate. I am left with more questions than answers, especially about the cost of the war. My questions have been unanswered, and I will demand answers because the American people deserve to know. And I guess I am most concerned about the threat to American lives of potentially deploying our sons and daughters on the ground in Iran. We seem to be on a path toward deploying American troops on the ground in Iran to accomplish any of the potential objectives here and there is also, as disturbingly as anything else, the specter of active Russian age to Iran putting in danger American lives.
Speaker 15: The last part references reporting that came first from the Washington Post. Russia is providing targeting info to Iran, chiefly using its advanced satellite imaging capacity, to quote from the Peace Quote. Since the war began on Saturday, Russia has passed it around the locations of US military assets, including warships and aircraft. This might explain how Iran has been able to hit some soft targets like the temporary structure in q Weight, where at least six people were killed. We've now learned that many more people were seriously injured, as well as hitting some over their horizon radar systems that we spoke about last week. Finally, the US is carrying out operations against hashtaal Shabby popular mobilization forces in a rack. This is getting a lot less reporting, but it seems like if there are boots on the ground anywhere right now, this would be where they would be right. They're using things like apaches in a tens, They're not using standoff munitions delivered from a great distance, and so anything that is likely to result in either needing people to support targets or needing people to rescue a pilot of a playing or a helicopter gets shut down, would more likely at this point be there.
Speaker 2: In it rack. That's about all I have.
Speaker 3: We'll go on one more ad break and return with a special segment from Ema Wong.
Speaker 2: So we need to intro the music.
Speaker 4: If you want to play the music, you can rocket jazzbot, sorry locking rocket jazz rocking jazz Bot. Onto the economy, we have been seeing over the past week what I would effectively describe as a will they won't they? With are the stock markets going to collapse? Where markets have imploded and then immediately rebounded, basically in line with Trump saying that the war is going to be over very soon. This was the sort of state of things on Monday. You know, there had been massive collapses in the Asian market from rising oil prices, and then Trump said that quote, the war is very complete, pretty much in a phone interview with the journalist from NBC, and this caused a resurrection of the markets. Now, this is completely disconnected from the actual reality of the war and functioned entirely to again just calling these markets on Tuesday, So that was Monday. On Tuesday, Trump speech quote, We've already won in many ways, but we haven't won enough. We go forward more determined than ever to achieve ultimate victory that will end this long running danger once and for all. Which, Okay, that's gibberish. Now, Trump has specifically begun to address the fact that again you can't move oil tankers through the straighter four moves because Iran is going to just carry out strikes on them, and he said, quote, We're also focused on keeping energy and oil flows to the world, and I will not allow a terrorist regime to hold the world hostage and attempt to stop the globe's oil supply. And if Iran does anything to do that, they'll get hit at a much much harder level. I will take out those targets that were easy and that I mentioned before, We'll take them out. So quickly, they'll never be able to recover. Ever, if they want to play that game, they better not play that game. In the long run, oil supplies will be dramatically more secure without the threat of Iranian ships, drones, missiles, nuclear menace, or anything. So what he's saying here is that if Iran keeps the straight closed, he's going to destroy them. But A, he's already in a war with them, and B this just means it as long as it wrong, keeps it straight closed, then the war keeps going, which keeps a straight closed longer, which keeps the war going. So this is great. Trumps also directly asked by a reporter about whether the war is going to keep going. Quote thank you, thank you, mister president. You said the war is quote very complete. But your Defense secretary says, this is just the beginning. So which is it? And how long should Americans be prepared for this war to last for? And he immediately starts going into metaphysics. Quote well, I think you could say both the beginning. It's the beginning of building a new country. And then he eventually says, so you know, you could look at that statement. We could call it a tremendous success. Right now, as we leave here, I could call it, or we could go further, and we're going further. But the big risks on that war have been over for three days. We wipe them out in the first two days. So that says nothing other than probably the war is going to keep going.
Speaker 20: Now.
Speaker 4: Trump has been claiming there will be navy escorts through this trade of four moves. This is an absolute unhinged lide that Trump came up with to calm oil prices. And on Wednesday we had reporting from Reuters that obviously know the Navy has been turning down requests for escort. I'm going going to read a quote from that Raiders piece quote the US Navy has refused near daily requests from the shipping industry for military escorts through this trade of from mows since the start of the war on Iran, saying the risk of attacks is too high for now, according to sources familiar with the matter, which yeah, no shit, of course isn't happening. There's no way for it to happen. Have you seen an oil tinker. The largest of these things is two fifths of a kilometer long, right, and some of them are you know, half that size, so they are like one fifth of a kilometer long, but you can't escort that through straight is and I kind of emphasize this enough twenty three miles wide at its narrowest point.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 4: Iran has also started mining the Straits to some extents. On Wednesday, Trump claimed the Navy had destroyed Iron's mining ships and the Strait was safe across. Iran immediately proved this to be a lie by hitting a whole bunch of oil tankers in various places around the Golf. And this is one of the substantive issues with trying to get one fifth of the world's oil supply through this Golf. On top of and also and again like this is being reported a little bit less, but we talked about this in my episode earlier in the week. It's not just oil, it's things like critical chemical components for fertilizer that comes through here. It's natural gas. It's also helium, which is a very very critical element for a whole bunch of heavy industry that is actually very scarce, and a huge amount of the world's helium supply has to travel through the Gulf. And there are so many kinds of munitions besides mines that iron cans use to hit boats from rockets and missiles to drones, just shooting at them with the guns on boats. That thing if apparently done now now. Trump also said that he was waving oil related sanctions on certain countries to reduce prices. It's not clear what this means. It's probably Russia. Reuters has claimed that it's about the US temporary allowing India to purchase Russian oil that's been like stranded at See, it's very unclear what's going on there. On Thursday, we got we got a bunch of claims from the administration that escorting tankers through the Strait was their planned the whole time, which no, it wasn't. This is just going to continue to be an absolute nightmare because if Trump can't figure out a way to get oil through there, he's either going to have to end the war or the world economy is going to just implode. Yeah, we'll be tracking that situation. There's also another crisis that has begun to brew, which is the crisis in the so called private credit market, which is this is stuff that used to be called shadow banking. I'm going to go into more detail on this later as it becomes more and more a sort of relevant. But private credit slash shadow banking is a series of things that are like a bank, but they're not regulated, So we are talking about trillions of dollars of assets. There has been a huge run basically on the shadow banks, to the point where several very large banks have paused the ability to take money out of them. Now it's difficult to report on this because we don't actually know anything about how many people are pulling their money out or what the effect on this is because there are no reporting requirements because eise are shadow banks, and the whole point about them is that they're not subject to the regular regulations that regular banking will be subject to. So that's another looming economic crisis that we're all sort of just going to have to deal with, on top of Trump attempting to sort of destroy the economy with this war and Iran. And finally, I want to close by talking about a very good piece and crime thing called history is Repeating Itself, a Lebanese perspective on the war in palestein Lebanon and Iran. That is an interview with friend of the show Iliau talking about a part of this war that hasn't basically ignored in the media, which is to quote Ilia. Israel has ordered the forced evacuation, effectively the ethnic cleansing of the entirety of southern Lebanon, the Hey and parts of Becca. This has been a horrifying campaign that has involved Israel bombing major Lebanese cities, including repeated bombings of Beirut, as well as a systematic destruction of Lebanese villages by Israeli army in the areas they've occupied in the south. The Israeli invasion has killed six hundred people in Lebanon so far, and that number will be higher by the time we're listening to this. This campaign does not seem to have an endpoint and is continuing as the American and an Israeli war in Iran also continues to grind on. Yeah, put a transgoal on your couch, Thank you, Mia.
Speaker 3: I have a few more news stories before we close out this episode. Trump has delayed his endorsement in the Republican Texas primary to build pressure on the Senate to pass the Save Act, the Voting Restriction Act to gain favor with the President. Ken Paxton has announced he'd back out of the race if this Senate passes the Save Act, which Trump later called his number one priority. Paxton knows that the passing of the Act is very unlikely, but by signaling support for the President's number one priority, he's hoping to gain favor and maybe even steal the endorsement away from Cornyn or convinced Trump not to give an endorsement, which would help him in the runoff election.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Politico has reported that Trump was quote irritated when news articles from axiosen The Atlantic published Wednesday declaring that Trump was quote unquote expected to endorse Cornyn. According to a Republican operative, Trump and others in his orbit hate when stories get out ahead of official announcements. Unquote. I sympathize with the president here. I am also often irritated by news articles from Axios and The Atlantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, an't we all? Let's see.
Speaker 15: I think it bring us together as a country, right.
Speaker 4: It will be interesting to see what Trump does here.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: Trump is previously called Cornyn like a rhino, and Paxton is way more popular with the megabase despite having more electoral liabilities. For the general election day on March fifth, seven of the biggest tech companies signed President Trump's rate Payer Protection Pledge, empowering the private sector to build their own power infrastructure like power plans, microgrids, and substations, while also agreeing to quote bring or buy new generation resources and cover the cost of all power delivery infrastructure upgrades required for their data centers, ensuring such expenses are not passed to American households unquote. And that is per the White House. So this expounds on the rate player Protection Pledge that Trump announced during his State of the Unit address. We have a little bit more details now. The pledge has been signed by Amazon, Google, Meta, Microsoft, Open Ai, Oracle, and Xai. These companies will quote unquote voluntarily negotiate new separate rate structures with utilities and state governments wherever they build new data centers, and will quote commit to pay these rates for the power and related infrastructure brought online to service their data centers, whether they use the electricity or not, unquote, to prevent blackouts and power shortages. The pledge also promises that AI companies and hyperscalers will also quote coordinate with grid operators to make backup generation resources available at times of emergency, contributing to a more reliable grid unquote. This pledge is not legally binding, but like I said, it will empower the private sector to develop power plant infrastructure.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 3: Last Saturday, March seventh, white supremacist Jake Lang organized a protest outside of the New York City Mayor's residence, Gracie Manson dubbed stop the Islamic takeover of New York City. Stop new York City public Muslim prayer unquote.
Speaker 2: Incredibly frustrating guy. Yeah, I know that's his goal, but like very frustrating. Well, he's high off the fact that he was able to ignite a news cycle by lying about jet.
Speaker 15: Yeah, after getting chased out of Minneapolis by people with water pistols and rescue by aunt lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 3: During this protest on Saturday, two teenagers who traveled from Pennsylvania, a Mere Blat and Ibrahim Kyumi, allegedly attempted to detonate two improvised explicit devices amongst the protesters, and after being apprehended, both suspects stated allegiance with ISIS. According to US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, J. Clayton, the homemade explosive devices were Mason jar sized and packed with metal shrapnel and contained the high explosive tatp oh Wow. One ied was ignited and thrown towards the group of protesters. Another was dropped in front of several NYPD officers, but neither device successfully detonated.
Speaker 2: It is hard to make bombs. That is why very few domestic terrorists in the US go the bomb route.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche claimed that the bombers quote allegedly sought to inflict mass casualties in service to ISIS with the hope of exceeding the carnage of the Boston marathon bombing unquote. Bilot was asked if he wanted to accomplish something akin to the Boston bombing during interrogation, to which he allegedly replied, no, even bigger. It was only three deaths unquote. During interrogation, Caumi stated that he had watched ISIS propaganda videos on his phone. The Criminal Complaints says that en route to the NYPD precinct, Bilot told officers, quote, this isn't a religion that just stands when people talk about the blessed name of the prophet.
Speaker 4: We take action.
Speaker 3: If I didn't do it, someone else will come and do it unquote, and he later pledged allegiance to the Islamic state in writing along with the phrase die in your rage.
Speaker 2: The only thing weird about it is that there's not a whole lot of that going on right now. But this is very similar to the people who are carring about sympathetic eyes as attacks, you know, during the height of military action and Mosul same death. Yeah, gies.
Speaker 15: The timing is odd unusual yet given past to the territorial Katapha, etc. They have been propagandizing a bit more in the last five six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, and it makes sense that they choose this as a target.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But thankfully again, most people who try to make bombs fail and that was the case this time too.
Speaker 4: Yeah for our last main store.
Speaker 3: Since the war on Iran began, the Trump administration has increasingly been talking about Cuba as being the next target of US intervention. In the immediate aftermath of military strikes in Iran, The Atlantic reported that Trump is eyeing Cuba as the next target, with an administration official saying the President is feeling like I'm on a roll, like this is working unquote, And I seen an interview about US military success in Iran. Last Friday, Trump started talking about Cuba, saying, quote, Cuba is going to fall pretty soon, by the way, unrelated, but Cuba is going to fall too. They want to make a deal so badly. They want to make a deal, and so I'm going to put Marco over there and we'll see how that works out unquote. That same day in Florida, Trump was asked about this Cuba deal and what do it mean for the US.
Speaker 29: And it may be a friendly takeover, it may not be a friendly taker. It wouldn't matter because they're really in They're down to as they say, fumes. They have no energy, they have no money, they're in deep trouble on a humanitarian basis, and we don't want to.
Speaker 3: See that may or may not be a quote unquote friendly takeover.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Yeah, I mean I think that's really helps you. Yeah, it sounds like he's threatening Batista too, basically, even going back further than that, but yeah.
Speaker 15: Does he consider Venezuela to have been a friendly takeover? Like, because he's very friendly with Delsey now right, Like you can see her tweeting all the time about their great partnership.
Speaker 3: I think he would consider that an unfriendly takeover, which has now become friendly. But I think he's like referring to the amount of like actual like you know, kinetic force as a part of a takeover versus just a diplomatic deal done by Rubio. But in his scene an interview from from Friday, Trump DIDs us that the administration is quote unquote really focused on Iran right now and that they have quote plenty of time.
Speaker 4: But Cuba's ready after fifty years.
Speaker 3: I've been watching it for fifty years, and it's fallen right into my lap because of me unquote. The before this, Trump mentioned how Rubio wants to finish up operations in Iran before trying anything in Cuba. Quote, we could do them all at the same time, but bad things happen if you watch countries over the years, if you do them all too fast, bad things happen.
Speaker 4: Unquote do them do the countries do them?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I see. Fascinating.
Speaker 15: That's the reference to these regime change decapitations doing the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, got it good to know.
Speaker 3: At a presentation for the Shield of the Americas on Saturday, Trump said, quote, as we achieve a historic transformation in Venezuela. We're also looking forward to the great change that will soon be coming to Cuba. Cuba's at the end of the line. They have a bad regime.
Speaker 15: It is wild to see him just like I don't want to be like, you know, like baby Ruth used to point to where he's going to hit the baseball. That's probably not the best analogy there, but you know what I mean, it is bonkers just to see.
Speaker 4: They're very confident right now.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they haven't gotten a serious pushback.
Speaker 2: You know, we're starting to see gas prices rise, the cost of living is going to rise, but we haven't suffered any sort of major military loss.
Speaker 15: I eight Americans have died in the operations against Iran.
Speaker 2: Right, like, yeah, and I doubt Trump has noticed.
Speaker 15: But I mean for him, that's not serious, it's not now. But he seems to have literally shrugged it off, almost impressed conferences. We did learn today that a great deal more people suffered more serious injuries when we thought in that particular drone striking Q eight. But there won't be electoral consequences, right. I think that's one of the reasons why they like these astrike heavy very light ground footprint models because it's not Americans who.
Speaker 2: Die, No, it's it's Iranians who are primarily dying. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Shall we close with this brief discussion on proton mail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So last week four h four media reported that the end to end encrypted email service proton mail quote helped FBI unmasked anonymous stop Coopcity protester unquote.
Speaker 4: That is their headline.
Speaker 3: So what happened here is that in January twenty twenty four, the FBI sent Swiss authorities a mutual Legal Assistance treaty request for information tied to the defend the Atlanta Forest at ProtonMail dot com account. The FBI believe that whoever had access to this email would likely have administrative access to the now defunct scenes from the Atlanta Forest blog, which hosted sabotage report backs, calls to action, and some instructional information on possible criminal acts people could commit. After Swiss authorities verified the FBI's request, proton mail was legally required to submit payment data, which identified a name tied to the account through a credit card. Swiss authorities then forwarded that information to the FBI via the Mutual Legal Assistance treaty. This individual has not been charged with the crime and no email contents were provided to either the Swiss authorities or the FBI. This is Edwards shown the head of communications for Proton quote, Proton only provides the limited information that we have when issued with a legally binding order from Swiss authorities, which can only happen after all Swiss legal checks are passed. This is an important distinction because Proton operates exclusively under Swiss law. Proton accepts payments via cryptocurrency, cash and also credit card. If you use a credit card, we do have access to the payment identifier, which can be used to identify the credit card holder from the card issuer. We check all legal orders received from authorities, and we understood that a law enforcement officer was shot and explosive devices were involved, and we verified that Swiss legal requirements were met unquote. That's their main statement regarding the handover of this credit card information.
Speaker 15: This has always been my understanding of how Proto Mail works.
Speaker 4: They are a business, They are not an activist organization.
Speaker 3: They are they are a business, and Swiss privacy laws are stronger and they would have not been able to hand over financial information identifying the person if this account paid in cash mailed to Proton or be a cryptocurrency, which would have been way more difficult to identify.
Speaker 2: Depending on the crypto.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I've operated many many proton mail accounts through the years. I've never tied any of them to financial information. You do not need to pay for most of the services that they provide, like I even have Proton VPN without paying for like the expanded VPN option.
Speaker 15: Yeah, they've always been very clear that they're a Swiss based company and they comply with Swiss privacy law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is how and before they have responded to FBI requests before.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many off ther requests they have responded to. I know they've responded to requests from other countries in Europe.
Speaker 2: It's one around twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: I know they've responded to French authorities about environmental protesters. The fact that's what authorities did send this information to FBI is newsworthy. This is notable, But this doesn't mean that Proton is getting increasingly compliant Like this is from early twenty twenty four, following the standard procedure via the mutual legal assistance treaty, and importantly, the actual end to end email contents were not given because Proton themselves don't even have access to those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for clarity, Proton has given info to the FBI before. I found a case back in twenty twenty two where the FBI was able to get data on us proton mail user who was being investigated for harassment. They responded in twenty twenty one to six nine hundred and ninety five legal orders and complied with about six thousand of them, only twenty one it was about five and twenty twenty about three thousand. I think this generally reflects the rate at which Proton has grown, rather than them becoming more likely to respond to these requests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and by responding to the requests that that doesn't really give us a good insight into what they're actually responding.
Speaker 15: With, right, Yeah, Yeah, that's the other thing, right, Like this person's email inbox was not opened to the FBI.
Speaker 2: That is a different thing, very important.
Speaker 4: There was the name linked to their credit card.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think, like you said, this is reportable, but it's it was a little over sold in the headline. I know ify one does that these days.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's good for people to understand how proton actually works as like a privacy email.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and they are not.
Speaker 3: They are not an activist group and that is an important sanction. They are a Swiss business that will follow the law. And if you understand how to use Proton as a service to maximize your privacy, then it can be a very useful service, but it will not protect you in every way. If you're handing them over payment information or information tied to your name that is not encrypted, that can open the possibility of an account being identifiable.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so I know a lot of people had contacted me about a proton mail address, Like, hopefully now you have the information that you need to decide it's that it's something you.
Speaker 2: Want to use or not.
Speaker 4: Speaking of proton mail.
Speaker 15: Yeah, speak of protemail. We still have a proton mail address. Now you know a little bit more about how you can use it. If you want to cool zone tips at proton dot me. If you would like to send us a pitch for you or your boss to be on behind the Bastards, if you would like us to plug your book, if you want us to talk about your fucking time share. You can send all of that to Coolzone Media at iHeartMedia dot com. Especially if it's the last one, I.
Speaker 4: Will block you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm looking for a time share that seems like a good investment. Sick.
Speaker 3: But that is the email for non tips for things that not related to news tips, you can use the calls on media at iHeartMedia dot com email address dot com.
Speaker 15: Talking of tips, I have a tip garrison for marketing people. If you email anyone ten times a day, you gotta piste them off. They're not gonna want to fucking hear from you.
Speaker 4: Stop it.
Speaker 2: Some of you aren't. Well you're not emailing them. You've got an AI doing it.
Speaker 4: It's got to be AI. Yeah, that's that's not a person.
Speaker 2: If it's a marketing person. There are other people who email ten times a day.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean this was a marketing person who was emailing some of our work addresses try and get us.
Speaker 2: To plug their podcasts, which on our podcast is.
Speaker 15: To stop it, grow up, have some self respect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's really fun is if you go on Reddit, you can find a subreddit for those kind of marketers. Well they're worth they'll complain about journalists not responding, and it's beautiful.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you can't see because podcasts. I'm raising both my middle fingers at this time. Like anyway, this has been us swining about marketing people. I hope you will have a lovely week.
Speaker 3: I will be as a hug as many of those proteins as.
Speaker 2: I can, Garrison, if you want to start really bulking up, you need at least one hundred grams of protein a day. And there's ten and he'll die.
Speaker 20: It's only ten day.
Speaker 2: You could pour them in a camel back and go about your day.
Speaker 15: Just make sure you dip the end of the camel back in the buffalo.
Speaker 2: Dry rope, the dry rope for the nozzle. Have a little Shika, have a little.
Speaker 4: We reported the news.
Speaker 19: Oh god, did we?
Speaker 5: We reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media from what podcasts from Cool Zone Media. Visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions, Thanks for listening,