Speaker 1: Call it what it is with Jessica Capshaw and Camille Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited about our guest.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited, but I have to ask you first, did you do your hair this morning? Because I'm looking at you and I'm curious. I think you need to let everybody know. So, Jessica's in New York right now, and I'm in Los Angeles and I just drove here and it's kind of, you know, it's a little bit it's a little cloudy, it's a little sunny. It's all good. I'm feeling chill. Jessica, what was your ride to work today?
Speaker 1: Like, well, I might have woken up early so that I could take a shower and blow dry my hair before you know, getting breakfast and the kids off to school, and then hopping on my train where you.
Speaker 2: Know, it was a little bit cloudy, not a big deal.
Speaker 3: Arrived at Grand Central, jumped off my train, walked into Madison Avenue around forty second Street, and an apocalypt dick severe thunderstorm with epic proportions of rain, maybe not coming down in drops.
Speaker 2: I don't think there were drops involved. It was actual buckets, sheets.
Speaker 3: And gallons that were being poured on top of me and my teeny tiny little umbrella.
Speaker 4: Yeah I was.
Speaker 3: I was trying to make cover my body, my purse, my shoes, all of it. And and again a little bit of fear because of just the sound, the sheer sound of the sky cracking open above me. And then I got to my destination because I got my nails done before this, and I'm very excited about the very cute. And when I got there, I felt free to take off my shoes because it was problem. I was slashing in them and uh. And after taking off my shoes, I looked at them and they were.
Speaker 2: Like de ey donny little swimming pools there. It was like an above ground swimming pool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you swam me your way to work today.
Speaker 3: So, yes, my hair does not look like it did when I did it, So thank you for notice. No other people have commented that it has a little volume.
Speaker 4: Sure you'll call it.
Speaker 3: I don't know you could you could call it that, but you're gonna call it what it is, which is fucking weird.
Speaker 2: My hair looks like we're just gonna call it.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you're here. Though, tell me.
Speaker 2: About how you got here, what what was your what was your prep?
Speaker 4: Well, because we have a special guest today and it is our first guest. I left the house this morning and I was a little bit nervous, and my husband was trying to get me into like, you know, He's like just deep, you know, breathe, it's gonna be great. Then as I was walking out the door, he did something super cute and he was like wait and he ran and I okay, So from the Ears tour, I have all of my tailor Swift bracelets and this little like glass container up in my bathroom and he came running down. It's so cute. I'm gonna show the podcast camera. Hang on, it's so cute. He pulled a bracelet and he put it on my wrist and it's the It says Fearless on it, and I just thought that was so cute.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so cute.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna be wearing it the whole podcast to just remind myself.
Speaker 2: Oh great, Yes, it is point for Matt.
Speaker 4: I know, major point for Matt. But I'm I'm so can I tell you something our first guest, let's just say who our first guest is let's just say.
Speaker 3: It, well, our first guest is none other than Mandy More. Mandy Moore is our first guest.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you a story about college? When I was in college for the whole six months I was there before I dropped out, my roommate was so obsessed with a walk to Remember.
Speaker 3: I know, that's the first one, that's where you fall in love. It's a starting point for all Mandy Moore fans.
Speaker 4: A walk to remember that. We literally so we had one of those like old little like huge, you know, TVs in our in our dorm room. She had to watch it every single day and it may have even been on VHS, but it was every single day, crying every single day because, by the way, when you watch that movie, you're every time you're surprised she's dying. Every time it's a reveal, you're like.
Speaker 2: We what because you don't want it to be true.
Speaker 4: You don't want it to be true. Yeah, you're hoping you got some sort of bootleg version of it that's like, you know, change the ending.
Speaker 2: M m m m yeah, yeah. Little choose your own adventure.
Speaker 3: I choose her not dying, choose her living.
Speaker 2: I choose life for her and Shane West.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 4: Did you have a little crushery crushing on the Shane West, didn't everybody?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the funny thing.
Speaker 3: He's not my type typically, and that movie just crossed types. It just did crossed across the cross to I didn't matter if he was my type, he was just he was the type. No, she liked and loved and so yeah, no, yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 2: Remember you then he went onto Er.
Speaker 3: Remember that we.
Speaker 4: Don't talk about competition medical shows.
Speaker 3: Jess.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm god, can't even believe you mentioned that.
Speaker 2: Oh, word goodness.
Speaker 3: I have a family connection to Er, so I have to celebrate r It's okay, I know you do.
Speaker 2: I know, by the way, I actually feel like all right, but I need to.
Speaker 3: I feel like I actually need only because you told the sweet story about Matt. I do have to say I kind of lied in the beginning of my day.
Speaker 2: Can I can I come clean?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I lied when I was I didn't lie, I know I did.
Speaker 4: I lied.
Speaker 3: I said that I got ready this morning in time till you know, get breakfast for the kids and then get out the door.
Speaker 2: But I didn't. I woke up and I got ready, I got me ready and Christopher.
Speaker 4: Christopher's listening to this podcast right now thinking exqueeze me, so he would be okay with that.
Speaker 3: But I think it's I think it's actually the right thing to do to say that I had nothing to do with breakfast this morning. Christopher did it all, and then I was just there to kiss them sweetly before they walked out the door.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can't wait to talk to her.
Speaker 5: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Let's around him it o, guys, I already want your haircut. Yes, I'm it's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: How are you, ladies?
Speaker 4: Amazing?
Speaker 3: This beginning might have some lopsided energy because we might be really, very very much more excited to have you than you might be to be with.
Speaker 2: Us, only because because we've been about well just we just went. We've been we've been side texting.
Speaker 4: We've been side testing. Well, first off, call it you're our first guest. Call it our first call on the pot, our first guest. Yes, how yes, And by the way, we have fans already trying to figure out who it is, and we're not. We haven't said it yet, and so they're gonna I am so excited.
Speaker 6: That honored beyond come on.
Speaker 4: Yes, but we have had a side This is gonna be embarrassing. We're just gonna say it. We've had a side text going on all week and Jessica.
Speaker 3: And I about you and all your awesomeness, which is what's creating my feeling of love.
Speaker 2: But don't worry, We're gonna push through.
Speaker 4: We've been arguing over who you would be best friends with more. Yeah, because out of the both of us.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll let you know the answer at the end.
Speaker 4: Okay, I would appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I would appreciate that, just.
Speaker 4: You know what, because one of my arguments is, Mandy, we would be in the same grade at school, so I feel like it's like, because what year did you graduate?
Speaker 5: Two thousand and two?
Speaker 4: Yes, in the house. See, there's already a bond going on, jess don't worry about it. We were also discussing how you were on We realized you were on Gray's Anatomy before we were on Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about that earlier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you know that your shooter episode is like the fan favorite episode?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Wow? Yeah, that is a dark fan favorite.
Speaker 2: It is so that makes you feel all the things.
Speaker 3: And also that's a lot of episodes, so you should be I mean, I think that's a big accomplishments.
Speaker 5: I'm I again also honored to be a part of that. Yes, conversation, that's so wild.
Speaker 4: Do you remember shooting it?
Speaker 5: I do, I do. I remember being really intimidated. I'd never really done television before, especially not like an episode of like television drama. And I was such a Grays fan, so I and working with Chandra, like I was just it was all so overwhelming and I felt like, you know, such a newbie in that world. But everyone was so kind and yeah, it was just I just remember feeling like reading the script and it was so intensely emotional that it was it was easy to feel that in the moment there. It just it all felt so real, like I just I had never worked on a project quite like that before, where there was so much going on, like it was so visceral. Yeah, it was. It was a wild, wild moment.
Speaker 4: You wish so good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh, you're kind of I don't. I think I didn't even realize what I was getting myself into if I had really like thought through it, because I was such a fan of the show. I would have been like even more intimidated, but it was such a fun experience, which which sounds odd. No the subject, the subject matter and what we were actually doing, but it was it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I would just like to point out really quickly that also I was a fan of Grays before I came to cras Anatomy, big huge, like watch it on the night and I wouldn't even let it get t vote, which is what I think that was happening at that time in life.
Speaker 2: And I would watch it live on the night.
Speaker 3: So I just want to point out that something you and I have in common just the column I think.
Speaker 7: Already the competition, and then I also wanted to mention that another similarity that you and I have, Mandy, is that we both worked with Schondra Wilson first when we came on as our characters.
Speaker 3: I'm chras not.
Speaker 2: I just want to point that out.
Speaker 5: Okay, well that's two points for you.
Speaker 4: But okay, okay, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 6: Just keep a little running tally on like a sticky note here.
Speaker 4: When you sign on for the role, were you aware that you would be part of a shooting episode, like, how much information did you have?
Speaker 5: I hm, I remember talking. I had a phone conversation with Shonda Rhimes and she sort of explained, I believe, like just kind.
Speaker 7: Of in.
Speaker 5: Layman's terms, sort of like the what the layout of the episode was going to be. But I remember her just putting an emphasis on like we've never done something quite like this before, and I was like, you, you don't have to convince, convince like I am, I would like jump at this opportunity to be a part of the show. But it was really lovely for her to sort of explain what the episode, how the episode sort of fit in the pantheon of Grey's Anatomy. So I did know, and I had read the script, but again it's like I didn't quite understand the impact and how many seasons twenty twenty one season later that people like you mentioned would still think about that episode and regard it so highly as really, wow, that's something.
Speaker 3: I'm listening to talk about this and I'm thinking that I think we all felt the same about being asked to come onto the show, which is sort of an amazing place to start with, just that sort of unbridled enthusiasm and excitement and genuine understanding and connection to a show that we then got to become a part of, which is kind of I mean, most of the time you're starting something in your your it's like brand new runway, right You're not you don't know anything about it. So we all got to come here that having it already be test driven and understanding how phenomenal it was. You know, I was listening to you talk about a couple of different things in your life, and one of them that really stuck out to me to talk to youmil about this was I auditioned for grays Anontomy three times. Twice I did not get the part, and the third time was because she'd said, you know, Shohanna had said, no, I really do I like her. I want to find a place for her. And finally she did, and I was so excited. But it had really come on the heels of me having not worked for more than a minute and really questioning, is this how I want to feel about what I do? And do I want to feel this uphill? Like I'm all game, Like I actually don't mind auditioning. I love that kind of stuff. I'm like, let's go. And every time I get an audition, I literally get pregnant with the idea of it. I see myself on set, I'm like, go, go go, And then it doesn't happen and you start all over again. And that's either crazy or or completely optimistic. But I was feeling that way before I got into Grace and I was listening to you talk about the beginning of This Is Us. What did that feel like for you.
Speaker 2: That minute that you knew you got the job? And who told you?
Speaker 5: Jessica, I honestly like, yes, it is a wild profession that we have all chosen to be artists and to face the kind of rejection that Waly That is just like daily, daily, hourly, Like it is just it. And I honestly like, I don't care what sort of level or season you find yourself in or at, like as as an actor or a creative person or an artist or however you want to refer to yourself as, Like, I don't care about the success that you've had, Like we all continue.
Speaker 6: To face rejection in all forms.
Speaker 5: It's just like it is. It is the consistency of what we do. Unfortunately, so you sort of have to buckle up and get used to it. But yes, before this is us, I think I had found myself in a position where professionally, I felt like I had, like most actors like kind of put myself out there for a pilot season. And that became like the time that I was so intensely focused on finding a job and fingers crossed that something was going to go. I was so hopeful to do television and live in you know, I lived in Los Angeles, so I was like, Wow, the idea of like doing a show here and being able to like come home and sleep in my bed every night, like that was the dream of all dreams. And I felt like year after year and uh, pilot season after pilot season, things would never come to fruition, Like perhaps I would get a job and get a pilot, which was amazing, and then nothing would come of it, and it just it just was like waiting for that question and waiting for that pickup, fingers crossed, like checking in every day like is there any word? Do we know what's going on? And finally coming to this like realization, I think after four failed pilot seasons of maybe this is the universe telling me that I have had my minute and I'm intensely grateful for it, but it is time to like pack up and move on and figure out what the next chapter of my life is going to be. And maybe I'll move back to Florida, maybe I'll go back to school, maybe I'll focus on music. Like I just I was like, I don't know if like it is in my constitution to be able to like withstand this constant stream of rejection all the time. And I remember very viscerally like getting I had, you know, in business terms, like I just moved to a new agency and hoping that maybe that like new burst of energy might shift the dynamic a little bit. And I remember kind of like all of us discussing, Okay, no more traditional network pilot season because man, my soul is just so beaten down. I don't know if that's going to be the ticket for me, if if I'm going to stay in this business, like let's just let's focus on other avenues and indie movies and you know, like streaming shows. And and then I remember, like two weeks later after this meeting, I get a script in my my inbox for the untitled Dan Fogelman project for NBC, and I was like, what's not what the universe wanted.
Speaker 2: The universe wanted to do there prime time.
Speaker 5: I was like, this is everything we just talked about I didn't want to do, and put myself in the ring again for it. And and then of course I read the script and was like, oh damn, it's really good. And I was like, okay, yeah, I mean, I'll do whatever it takes to be a part of this. And I auditioned and went through that whole process, and anyway, it came down to like six weeks later going in for a chemistry six weeks.
Speaker 4: Later, waits, I hate the wait. Okay, okay, I wait the wait.
Speaker 5: Which at that point you've like you've completely brushed off, like, okay, this job is not in the realm of possible.
Speaker 7: See not me.
Speaker 2: I'm still like, I'm so how's that going. I'm just kind of check in.
Speaker 5: I've moved on.
Speaker 4: No, I've burned the script.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, shade that it's in the fire.
Speaker 3: I'm still lighting candles and manifesting that I've got it.
Speaker 2: It's mine, it's my part.
Speaker 8: I've taken a candle to the script yes correct to say yes, I just let it go and I get this call that they're gonna do a chemistry read with like a handful of women and a handful of men.
Speaker 5: And I went in and brushed it.
Speaker 6: I only I don't know about that, but I went in and read only with Milo, who ended up getting cast as well as my husband on the show, and we I remember I remember hearing going in that like he was the guy to beat, like that everybody across the board.
Speaker 5: Like loved him, and so I remember thinking, like, I think this is a good thing that they just had me read with him and not the other two guys that were in the room. But and then we ended up getting cast.
Speaker 2: But okay, so who told you? How'd you find out?
Speaker 5: My manager called me?
Speaker 2: Was it a phone call?
Speaker 5: It wasn't like it was a phone call. Yes, And I was so excited, but also like at the same time I was, I was thrilled, but I remember thinking, oh gosh, like this is going to be a fun job for a couple of days, but inevitably this is what happens. This is my luck, like this this thing won't go forward, like I couldn't. I remember being on set and Dan Fogelman, who created the show and was our show writer. He was on set and he was trying to tell Milo and I like his ideas for the show moving forward, and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, la la, la, la la.
Speaker 5: I don't want to hear anything because if this doesn't move forward, like I just don't want to be continue to be disappointed. And luckily that wasn't the case.
Speaker 3: But listening to you on That was Us, which is your new podcast. Oh yeah, hearing you all talk about the magic of the table read and that and the shooting of the pilot.
Speaker 2: I mean, you did know that you had magic there.
Speaker 4: You did know that for sure, but I mean you can't tell I feel like you just don't like you feel I've heard so many people say like there was so much magic and I have no idea why it didn't work out. Yeah, I think that's actors, like you know, we feel that way. One thing I had to say, Manny that I've always thought is that role and I want to think of myself as like a you know, a confident actor. That role would have intimidated me so much jumping in like time, I don't were you going into it and just thinking like fuck it, I'm gonna do it and just like you know, or were you did you have reservations of like, oh my god, can I do this? Because I felt that I would feel that way.
Speaker 5: I was so intimidated. Yeah. I mean the good thing was, you know, when you read a pilot, it's just what's on the page. It's just the first episode. Had I known that the breadth of the show, what the show was really going to be about, how expansive the universe was going to be. I didn't know until the show got picked up and we got that second episode and it was like, oh, we jumped in time eight years. Yes, Okay, we're not telling this story linearly. It's not happening in sequential order. That's cool. But had someone told me at that point, I mean, like, I remember getting this phone call from Dan three weeks before we started shooting this second episode, and he was like, so, I have this idea for you to play the character present day, and I was like, I'm sorry, but and we're gonna go through like a litany of hair and makeup tests, and you know, if if it is unbelievable across the board by any one person, whether it's a producer or the studio, network, whatever, then I think we're all gonna like pivot and think about casting an actress who is actually the age is a character, and but we'd love to try it, like we want you to try it first.
Speaker 4: And I was like, okay, my god.
Speaker 5: I remember we went through like six it was like Goldilocks in The Three Bears. We went through like six different iterations of hair and makeup where it was like this is too old, this is too young, and this is the wrong wig and this is and we finally landed on something. And I remember the first thing they made me shoot was a scene with ron Cephas Jones, like the ron Cephas Jones, and it's a scene that ended up being in one of the episodes. I believe it was like episode three. We kind of jumped a little forward, and I was like, this is you're you're not only dropping me into being this character present day for the first time, but you're putting me in a scene with like this legend of an actor who is also, you know, twenty years older than me and older than me. Yeah, so it's like he is a little more believably he was playing older than he actually was. But still I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: This is so in reverse intimidation in my old life.
Speaker 4: Was sweating hearing this story. I'm sweating.
Speaker 3: It's so great hearing I mean, truly, your your new podcast is so you can hear it in all of your voices, the talking about it and just the insights and and again just it's such a it's such a peaker behind the curtain, and I really really enjoying well.
Speaker 5: But you guys know, it's like you are a family. Like you're lucky that you you have been woven into the fabric of this like beautiful, established thing that is so beloved by people. And it's such a rare thing to find that it's it's truly if you're lucky. It's once in a career, once in a lifetime, and it's and and you were you're so cemented and you're so bonded with these people that you've worked with. I mean, look, you guys are best friends and you've it's like you're your friendship.
Speaker 2: You've taken it.
Speaker 5: I will happily be the third wheel. But it's just like it's an incredibly special thing and and it's it's palpable to an audience and they sense that, and you sense your friendship and hopefully they sense the friendship that that we all had on This is Us and it it's yeah, it's it's just so special and to be able to continue it in some form or fashion is means the world because it's like so crazy, you know, when you when when that that you know, special chapter and sort of seminal time in your life ends and everybody sort of moves on to the next thing and their families and all of that. It's like being able to find any excuse to get together again and chat about things is like, it's it's the best. No, there's no substitute for it.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't feel like work. It doesn't feel like work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Were you ever pregnant on the show?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Twice, I was. I was.
Speaker 3: I was pregnant three times and I had one already, so I was like three times and I and they never made me pregnant, which obviously they couldn't have never made they could. You were never pregnant on the show? I was just I mean, are your real pregnancy on the show?
Speaker 5: Yes, because of us jumping around in time and at one point in time, my character was pregnant, so we were able to sort of Yeah, although I was not as pregnant as I was supposed to be on the show because I was pregnant one baby intad with triplets. Yeah, so it's like I I yes, but so that was quite ironic. How did they get around it with you? Like shooting with you?
Speaker 4: It's so easy for us.
Speaker 5: Were you in pregnant on the show too?
Speaker 4: I was pregnant twice on the show too.
Speaker 5: Yes, you just hide it with cool scrubs and lap coats.
Speaker 4: It was hide it. Yeah. Yeah, and I think, like Manny, you were you gave birth to us in twenty twenty one. Yes, yes, spring, Yes, so I was pregnant. I gave birth in twenty twenty. So we went down for shooting for COVID, which was I know, by the way I feel you because anyone that was pregnant during twenty twenty I feel like this bond with because it was such an insane time to be carrying.
Speaker 5: Was it your first? No? No, okay, got it.
Speaker 4: Got it my second, but totally different experience right like that time was so wild. But but we went down for shooting, so by the time we got back to shoot, I was done with my pregnancy. I just had first trimester on the show. But yes, but for you that's not the case because shows are up and running by the time, and we.
Speaker 5: Were one of the first shows back up and running. It was like we went back in September of twenty twenty and I was like five months pregnant. So it was a really precurious time to be going back to work because that was like full ppe, you know, like people in like as much and the goggles your own little kid masks. Yeah, and you're sitting there like, I'm like, wow, I'm I felt so vulnerable being pregnant and being unmasked and working. And but also I was like, well, we're all getting tested, you know, multiple times a week. I guess this is the safest place to be. It's better than being home and just being anxious and thinking about things all day. But yeah, yeah, it was. It's so strange I think back on now that that was almost it's like all a blurb.
Speaker 3: Well, when you talk about the return to work, I think it's actually so interesting because I feel like top note question for women who are pregnant on shows, if you will, is like what did you do when you're pregnant? Like how did you hide it? Right? I feel like the far more important question was like, what happened once you going back to work after having a baby? Yeah, like that whole the negotiation, Like at least they were all tucked in there and they were you know, I'd carry charts and then as technology advanced, I'd be hearing iPads work.
Speaker 2: I was big, I'd be behind counters.
Speaker 3: But it was after having the baby, the return to work, So both of you return to work post pandemic with baby.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how is it for you?
Speaker 4: It was good that I was batch at work, but like it was just I found it very intimidating. I just, you know, because it's like you don't want to on these shows. You don't want to like make out with any I didn't want to like make out any see any with wanting anyone because I was like, oh god, I'm going to bring it back. I have a new born. I'm like, I was a little paranoid. But luckily on our show, by the way, there was like, you know, we had ppe that we had to wear on our show. It was almost like the safest to be on Oh yeah, yeah, but you know, so that was that for yeah, But what about for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I Mean the fortunate part was I was I got about a month off, which I know doesn't sound like it's not a lot of time, But the privilege of being able to bring your baby to work, I know, is it's truly a privilege that most most new parents, it's not even within the realm of possibility. So I'll just start with that that the fact that I could bring my baby and I could nurse and he was there with me was amazing. And we only were back at work for about i'd say, like two months before we had our hiatus, and then you know, I had a good like three months off or four months off before I had to go back to work for the next season. So it was it worked out pretty well. And I also feel really fortunate to have had like showrunners and a creator and like a support system at work of very incredibly understanding individuals who were all parents themselves, who made it as easy and seamless as possible for me to be there, for Gus to be with me, And it was truly a dream. I was like, oh, so this is this is the way it can be. And you hear like those stories from other actors who are like, if you're lucky enough to be on show that's running for multiple seasons, like, that's when you should have a kid.
Speaker 6: If you're thinking about.
Speaker 2: This reminds me of something, Camilla, What did I say to you?
Speaker 4: Is this is why I got pregnantly. Honestly, I wouldn't have had kids unless Jessica Capshall told me. No, She's the reason that I'm tired every day and I've aged so much. Yes, No, Jessica was like when I got on the show, she was like, you have to have children on this show because of Sean and Lane. And by the way, they're super, super amazingly supportive. I do need to segue because Mandy, I don't know if you know this, but we have had fans right into our podcast to ask us to help them, and we would love for you to help give some of our fans advice on some of their problems.
Speaker 5: Yes, I will. So.
Speaker 3: The whole premise is that we are by the way, we are well, the premise they don't feel too much pressure. Premise is that we are absolutely unlicensed to advise anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we might be terrible.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be optimistic again here and.
Speaker 4: We're going to be great at this.
Speaker 2: Who wants terrible advice? Cavilla, This is not the way.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So my premise is, like I might say, wow, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: She's a wild card a bit. I love it, that's true.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 5: You guys are the perfect yin and yang to each other.
Speaker 2: And there we go, there we go.
Speaker 4: So the point is that.
Speaker 3: The premise is that we so love helping each other and solving each other's problems, that we are creating a bigger friendship circle that you are now part of. And we have asked people to also join us in their you know, in their travels. And so we've had a couple, well, we've had quite a few. We're super lucky.
Speaker 4: We've had thousands apparently.
Speaker 3: To write in and and and so we're gonna give them our two cents. But are you are you up for it?
Speaker 5: I'm game. I'll try my best.
Speaker 3: Let's go and then then and then the idea is that we're gonna then we're gonna call it what it is, with love and kindness and as much as much grace and compassion as is possible in the world, all of it.
Speaker 4: I love it. Okay, are you guys ready?
Speaker 2: This is the first one.
Speaker 4: This is the first one. Emily French. Okay, she wrote us on Instagram. She dmd us and she said, Hi, ladies, I have a question for y'all's podcast. I was wondering what advice do you have for healing after a breakup. I recently broke up with my girlfriend of four years. It was my first relationship and so my very first ever heartbreak. And I lost my mom to cancer when I was a teenager, and navigating with this without any motherly advice has been difficult. Thank you so.
Speaker 5: Much, man, Emily.
Speaker 4: Emily, Well, first off, I lost my mom when I was a teenager too, so I understand. I understand what it's like to sort of not be able to pick up the phone and be like, Mom, what do I do? However, even without that, I will say that you can kick heartbreak in the butt. You can handle this like a boss. I read a butt you guys when I went through my very very I was. I don't know how old you guys were when you had like your first love heartbreak. I was about twenty two and I ordered a book called It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken. Jessica, you're friends with this.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 4: I know them.
Speaker 2: I knew them when they were writing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Wow, It's the best book for a heartbreak ever. America makes you like love it. I loved it so much that I remember this moment, you guys. I was reading it and my ex was calling, and usually I would have been like, oh my god and pick up. And I remember, and I'm being like, this is working. I hit decline on my phone and just continued reading, and I was like, freedom, I'm getting over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: I see that, and I go full nosedive into the sad.
Speaker 4: I go sally like you embrace oh, I.
Speaker 2: Literally wear like until I'm done with.
Speaker 4: The morning morning.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, I think that I skew a little avoidant. Typically, my my normal flight pattern is avoidant when things get a little rough, and so when something truly does completely devolve and break apart, I actually think that that is when I feel the freedom to be like, I'm going to feel all of it.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to.
Speaker 3: Lean into this terrible feeling. And know that I always say this, but I think it's but it's true. It's that everything will be okay in the end, and if it's not okay, it's not the end. And so I sort of just allow myself to be swallowed by it, and it has served me well because when I'm done with the morning, I really am done. So I like the sadness so emily feel the heartbreak. If someone was in your life for that long, they were important. So and I hate that idea that you know that when something's over that it was a waste. I truly do think that we're some of our experiences, and I think that heartbreak can be actually an incredibly nutritive thing, and sometimes you have to break things apart to put them back together in a stronger way.
Speaker 5: So that would be my that is i'd so beautiful and such a great like prescription. I was thinking similarly just that, like it's it's unfortunate, and it's not what you want to hear in the moment while you're like in the it's the wallowing and just utter sadness, but it is. It is for a reason, and it is so informative moving forward of what you want, what you don't want, what you deserve, what you don't deserve, Like it's the unfortunate part of life, Like we have to have that experience and feel broken in order to be able to pick up the pieces and move forward, and it's like it it clearly it wasn't the thing, it wasn't meant for you, and something else out there will be. And it's again it's hard to sort of digest all of that, I think in the moment, but it's it will all be for a reason moving forward.
Speaker 4: I used to tell myself that, like, this is what used to help me too. I used to tell myself, the guy that is going to fall in love with you and be the one is at Starbucks right now ordering a drink. And I know it's so silly, but like it helped me to feel like that's what he's doing right now, and he's wondering when he's gonna find his girl, and I'm the girl. We just haven't found each other yet. So I used to use like my little Starbucks another.
Speaker 2: Very nora Ephron.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's like a Nora Ephron, like you might have been walking down the same street.
Speaker 4: But yes, yes, And so I used to think, like, it's not him, and whoever it is, they're at Starbucks right now, and I need to be patient and find them because they're waiting for me too.
Speaker 3: I also think, you know what I think It's funny because I was talking to someone recently who had who was going through this, and I've said this a couple of times, but I think it's because it's so true. I had someone call me it was like really devastated, crying, crying, crying, and I said, you know what, at least this is what's true for me. Every person who broke my heart, I truly felt like, if it was it five days later, five weeks later, five years, ten year, whatever, whatever, whatever, you will write them a thank you note. And you don't know when you're gonna realize that the thank you note's gonna come. It could take you five days, five weeks, five years, whatever, but one day there's gonna be a thank you note that you write that person for breaking your heart, because if they hadn't broken your heart, you wouldn't have gone on to the path that you went on to landed you where you are. And I think that the gratitude piece for me has always been like the baseline for understanding and creating joy. And I love living and joy. Like clearly obviously nobody wants to live in pain. But I think maybe that's like the thing that comes with me is like I either go full pain or full joy, but the gratitude helps get me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So again, that's another way for the heartbreak.
Speaker 4: Have you guys thought about like yet, that moment where your kid grows up and you're gonna have to re experience heartbreak through them.
Speaker 3: You mean, like when someone heartbreaks my kid's heart and I kill them.
Speaker 4: I think about this and you and you you guys, this.
Speaker 2: Happens like at school when a kid picks on my kid.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm thinking. I mean, the first time I see my son or my daughter go through heartbreak, I don't know if I'm going to have any chill like in this moment. I can have like chill, but I don't. Mandy, do you ever think about this with your science?
Speaker 5: Haven't thought that far because there's so little still I'm like, yeah, I haven't wrapped my head around that.
Speaker 4: Mandy. Will you like to close it out with rapid fire questions?
Speaker 2: Okay and bye? We like to.
Speaker 3: We like to close it out means you're our first guest, and this is the first time we're.
Speaker 2: Doing rappid fire questions like we've.
Speaker 4: Done a hundred times to be the guinea This is our tradition that we've just this is our first. Yeah, I acted like it's a tradition we've done for.
Speaker 2: Like I just want to say, and it's not because I'm trying to ingratiate myself into your.
Speaker 1: Number one position.
Speaker 2: But this has just been such.
Speaker 3: A pleasure, and I'm so grateful that you are first.
Speaker 4: Guys, You're the best.
Speaker 5: I serious, truly, I had no idea. I'm so honored. This was such a blast. You both are delightful. I I can't choose. I'm just truly to be the third week if you're walking, But like stack available anytime, I'll just come in and jump in and out whenever.
Speaker 6: I'm not great with advice, but but.
Speaker 5: I'll just chime in whenever I thought.
Speaker 3: You were I thought you I thought you were too.
Speaker 4: I loved that advice. I thought that was great. Okay, well you go first. Okay, I'll go first. Sour Patch Kids, I just went to the movie theaters. This is where this came from. Sour Patch Kids or Swedish.
Speaker 5: Fish sour Patch Kids.
Speaker 2: Feels are flats.
Speaker 4: Flats favorite holiday Halloween?
Speaker 9: Oh me too.
Speaker 2: You guys might be besties.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 5: How do you like your eggs scrambled?
Speaker 4: Mm hm? Did you go to sleep away camp as a kid? Yes? Was it the best?
Speaker 5: Yes? It is like this is a memory that I'm I'm so excited for my kids to have.
Speaker 2: Was it stage Door?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I want my daughter to go so bad.
Speaker 5: If my kids are remotely interested in musical theater, I'm gonna send them as well. It was like the greatest time of my life.
Speaker 3: She won't do the sleeping.
Speaker 4: I love this.
Speaker 5: I get it that it's she won't Yeah, it is, I know, I know. Hot.
Speaker 4: Do you remember how old you were when you.
Speaker 5: Find was eleven? I was young, But I love.
Speaker 4: That feels like a good age. That feels like it.
Speaker 5: But I get it. I hope my kids are like, I just want to stay home with you, mom. Yeah, I'd be fine with that.
Speaker 2: Please until she went once.
Speaker 3: And that's why she won't go again, because she actually reported she missed me too much. It was actually it became painful. It was painful longing as opposed.
Speaker 2: To just normal longing.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: That is.
Speaker 3: I know, And that's you can't really I know, And you can't turn around and be like, no, kid, go for the painful longing.
Speaker 5: Never have to leave me again. Never.
Speaker 3: But you're reminding me of Tangled. You lived in my house for very long time. Just so we're clear about that Tangled. You're so good in that the fact that you can convey what you conveyed with your voice on an animated character. I mean truly, I don't Oh no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: It was real. It was so real and it went on for so long.
Speaker 4: That I do have to ask this. I'm desperate to ask this because I one of my friends on Instagram is a Disney adult, which is an adult that loves Disney. Right, so now everything on my Instagram, like the feed, like the algorithm prompts all the Disney. Okay, So Tokyo Disney has a tangle rightaw right? Okay? So have you done it? And I want to know, Like, I just want to know really quick when you go to Disneyland, are you like carried around the like? What is what is the experience?
Speaker 2: It's in that I have float to the front of the line.
Speaker 4: Yes, even more than the VIP guy.
Speaker 6: I have not been to Tokyo Disney.
Speaker 5: That is a bucket list. In fact, Zach le By, who's been tang as well, we were both texting about it, like this is so cool we need otherwise known as splind writer. But no, I mean I think if you are fortunate enough to be in the Disney family, and you guys have been on an ABC show and the Gray's Anatomy universe, so there is the lovely perk of of getting the occasional tour guid to Disney. I wouldn't say that being a princess is too different. Maybe I'm not, like, maybe a cool enough princess. Maybe I'm not frozen or something, but like, yeah, they're they are.
Speaker 2: I think we're going for you.
Speaker 4: You're iconic.
Speaker 5: I'm not complaining.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't hear complaining. I'm just saying that it might be room for improvement.
Speaker 5: If I could bring the boys, you know, and and have a tour guide. I am. I am deeply, deeply grateful. But other than that, nine, No, it's it's pretty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, I don't think I personally don't think you should have to walk. Yeah, I could just be carrying you.
Speaker 5: That's the fun of Disney.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 5: I'm one of I'm one of those Disney adults where I just like I geek out at a theme park. I'm from Orlando. I think it's like just in my DNA.
Speaker 6: I love like yeah, I love scooting around.
Speaker 5: I want to wear the Mickey ears. I want the truro, I want the candy out, I want the whole experience thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mandy, thank you so so much for having me. This is the fans are all gonna delightful.
Speaker 6: You guys are so much fun. I could talk to you all day.
Speaker 5: Will you come back on anytime? Yes?
Speaker 4: Really? Okay, help me in and we won't make you choose no, no no. Between the two of us, we've agreed on a throttle.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to be in a threatle with you, guys.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: I know, I know this is such winning.
Speaker 6: You guys need a brunette. You need a brunette in a threatle.
Speaker 4: Mandy, we love you, and if I pass you at Disneyland and you're walking, I'm gonna complain.
Speaker 5: We'll join groups. Congrats on the podcast, guys.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks, ladies, I have a fantastic thank guys, you.
Speaker 9: Too, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: She's awesome. I'm glad you didn't kicked between us as best friends, because I would have been very dramas I've been TuS.
Speaker 3: We didn't force that because it was just it was an organic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do. Yeah, but we sent out the bat signal. I'm still gonna describe it that way for you guys to contact us. And we have literally had thousands of messages, and I have to tell you, guys, I'm so deeply touched. Jessica and I were reading through some of.
Speaker 3: Them yesterday and reading every single one of them, reading all of them.
Speaker 4: I don't care how long it's gonna take, We're gonna go through all of them, and people are really pouring out their hearts and they're getting vulnerable in our candia and I love you guys already. I'm already feeling the call it community like coming together.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, It's so and it's so fantastic, and I think that it really is a testament to how vulnerability is one of the strongest choices you can make in your life, right because you're gonna stay stuck if you don't open up and let people help. And so again, here we are, here, we are ready to wrap our arms around any problem. I hope we were helpful. I hope we were helpful in that one. I do you think three different perspectives on how to deal with it?
Speaker 4: Right, yes, and I think we'll get I think that there'll be more breakup questions along the way. And by the way, you guys can literally DM us about anything, and I'm talking about like, do you have a possession in your house? Your objects moving? Is there paramol activity? We will literally figure out how to unsummon a demon if we need to. But no, I'm sure we'll have more breakup you know, questions, but because it's something that we all go through in life, and we're going to get into it in different ways with different answers, and you're going to hear more of our experiences. But already it was just so nice to feel like we were having this communication with you guys.
Speaker 3: Well also, it's just you know, the answers are not going to be one size fits all, but hopefully through hearing us talk about it, you will absolutely know you are not alone. This is this is something that happens to everyone. You don't get to participate in life without having your heartbroken at least once.
Speaker 2: If not many times.
Speaker 4: You guys, we're gonna wrap it up today.
Speaker 2: I love I love being here with you.
Speaker 4: This is fantastic, I know, and I love that it's I love that it's not just us. It really does feel like our little, our little friendship circle that's getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and we can't.
Speaker 2: Be so grateful.
Speaker 4: Hop back on with you guys. Next time we will be tackling another question from somebody again. Dm us, call us, email us, give us all the details in the world. If you want to stay anonymous, let us know. We won't even say a name, and we're gonna we're gonna tackle it all, tackle it all head on.
Speaker 2: And just remember that without you, it would just be Kamilla and I here talking. So thank you, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: And we also know that you have a lot of choices in the podcast that you listen to. There are so many out there, So thank you, thank you for taking this time to be with us. We are so grateful and we are so excited for more and more and more and more and more.
Speaker 4: Hey friends, we wanted to add a little extra note at the end of this episode because something very special happened after we recorded. Mandy Moore came out and revealed that she is pregnant with baby number three.
Speaker 3: And this is not only exciting for many, many, many reasons, but mostly because I think she's.
Speaker 4: Gonna have to come back, right, she's gonna have to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have to talk about this. I mean, because we are her besties.
Speaker 3: Not sure how she can get away with not talking to us about that. Anyways, So exc I had heard a million congratulations and I guess let's call it
Speaker 4: A new pregnancy