Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Senner's podcast with your host. Now fuck that with your loaw glasses, Malone.
Speaker 2: The dog Man, We're back, all right back.
Speaker 1: I had a dope conversation with the homie Joker Shout out the Joker. Joker is like the most talented person I've ever met in the music industry. Like, uh, we shot Tupac mus Die together. We shot Nike Cortes my night Cortez on the iPhone. He could play the drums and rap at the same time.
Speaker 3: You get a video. He made puppets to be in the video.
Speaker 1: Like, Joker is like, by far the most talented person I've ever met in my journey, you know, in this music industry. But we were having a really dope conversation and it made me think that this would be a good podcast thing to talk about. And I was explaining to him the responsibility you have when it comes to handling people's dreams. Like, I know you more on the atheist side, but if you believe in God, when God blesses you with the power to grant someone's dream, to make a dream come true. Now, I do think the word dream has kind of been overused. Everybody's dreaming of everything. Now it's my dream thing. This is my dream thing.
Speaker 3: That's just like a lazy word, like loyal. People don't even know what that word means.
Speaker 1: But yeah, dream specifically, whereas like people that really dream of making it in the entertainment business or whatever it is, right, and I was telling them a story. Shout out to Barbie. Barbie used to She used to intern. She was kind of like a kind of studying to be the producer of the Note Sellers podcast. Barbie does a lot of work. She's stay on the scene. Like, I'm so proud of her. She definitely has the correct grind to succeed in this business. Her work ethic is impeccable. I think her program is widespread, Velvet productions, something like that. But we were supposed to do an interview and something happened. I think I had to go somewhere, I had to be I think I had to do something for snoop or something. So I told her, like, hey, She was like, last is I want to get that interview done? And I was like, uh, okay, look, if you come in the next hour, I can give you two hours. But then I gotta go oh, and Barbie responded, she was like, well, I think that's more of an insult of my time, like you know, you you you're not treating me.
Speaker 3: Like you know, like I guess.
Speaker 1: The point was she felt I wasn't treating her like like she was successful because of how I was giving her so much time right to get here and how much time we had to do the interview.
Speaker 3: And I was, you know, I didn't really trip. I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Once she said that I wasn't really you know, being mindful of her time or whatever whatever the actual dialogue was, I said, okay, I said, IM gonna get with you. We could do it another time. So one day I go to her page and she's doing like a she she made a post and the post was like, uh, kind of her being derogatory, where she was like, see artists be thinking they too big, but that's why they not where they want to be, because of how they treat the people that died out well, they end up being like, you know, some pretty nasty things. And obviously I knew she was talking about me, and I like the post and I just put a heart in the caption and we end up talking later and I told her, like, you know, I'm not sure she didn't really she didn't really rectify the post. But you know what made me really understand why I didn't mind because I know I'm handling her dream. Her dream is to do publicity on entertainment at the highest level, and I take her dreams.
Speaker 3: Serious, very serious.
Speaker 1: Like we have been supposed to do this interview for eight months, but you know, again, sometimes we just off on schedule. It's not like she's hitting me every day. Barbie is a persistent person, but you know, I'm really trying to organize what I'm pursuing as well. But the reason I didn't get upset at her is I know I'm handling her dream. Now again, Glasses Malone is not some kind of you know, i might be the best interview on hip hop, but I'm not the greatest one. It ain't like if you sit down and have a conversation with me, you know you're likely to get means and use. Everybody ain't tripping off what I'm saying. I may be the best, you may get the best content for me and the best material. Because I do think that's something that I could say. Okay, Glasses, you do have that together. But it's not the greatest thing. It's not the most financially effective thing that's gonna work for you. You know, you may have to work some of these content pieces to truly benefit sure, But I also understood Pete that I'm handling her dream and you have to give people space to be upset when dreams are not coming true, especially if people think you're capable of making dreams come true. Now again, I don't think she's confused with who I am, but I do know she my journey in this hip hop thing. You know, she revers it and there's a respect for it, even if she talking shit when she's upset. But I know she respects it, and that's why she wants to sit down and talk. So I have to make time. But I thought that would be a good thing to talk about. I always notice rappers, you know, forget me using the term rappers. I always notice entertainers feel like there's a time to turn the start them on and off. If they're at a public restaurant and somebody wants to take a picture with them. You know, Game used to do that. Chuck used to do that. Shout out to Chuck, ha Your birthday game, my boy forty five. Thank you for everything you did for my career. I'm saying I never will forget it. Shout out to g right and face and folk Scent. You know what I mean, the fire of it. But he used to sometimes didn't want to take pictures with fans, and I never could understand that. And you know I've heard different entertainers. Oh well, you know, people gotta understand I'm a regular person.
Speaker 3: No you're not sure. No, you're not.
Speaker 1: You're not a regular person. You are in a completely unique situation where people celebrate you. Use the term celebrity. That means people celebrate you. They don't just celebrate you when you feel like being celebrated. They celebrate you all the time, which is why your standards of existing are higher than most people.
Speaker 2: It's fine. I never really thought about it because the spelling has been changed. But you have to celebrate tour and to celebrate tea.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: So this is no seilings. Gl My brother Peter in the house cooking on this good Tuesday. Glad y'all here to check this out. Make sure y'all leave a comment if you listen to this podcast. It's I think we're doing five or six seven thousand streams every week, but you know downloads every week, but you're not listening to the podcast.
Speaker 3: I need you to listen to the podcast. I need you to leave a comment.
Speaker 1: I need you to start driving this podcast up if you want to do a solid for a solid you know what I'm saying, Just driving this podcast because I do want it successful, and you know, I don't know if we're gonna be, you know, back for a fifth season. I'm just starting to like it. I you know, I think you're finding your place in it, you know what I'm saying. So I'm glad we did it, you know. I mean, if this is the last season, sure, sure, But again I think there needs to be a little bit more respect from people that are celebrated when it comes to handling other people's dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, this is one of those things where if it's content, that's you, you know what I mean. It's like a you're selling a relationship more than you're selling a product in a lot of senses. So it's like you want to take their money. You don't want to take their picture. That's like halving a girl. You want to take her pussy. You don't want to take her opinion. It's not probably gonna last real long. You know, it's gonna be a little contentious and then it's gonna burn itself out. So you have to be appreciative of that relationship if you have it. You know, a lot more people want it than have it.
Speaker 1: And I do think the reason they want it is all for the wrong reasons and it's not.
Speaker 3: Going to be literally want.
Speaker 2: So probably true.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of like I'm starting to realize, I think we talked about this, that people are getting corded onto gangs, like jumped into gangs because they want to be a rapper, and so they want the cultural cachet that comes with being right. They may have no other access points into street urban culture right, or they feel like.
Speaker 3: The movement of it all so please them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So they go and join a movement that could have true implications on if they live or die to be old men.
Speaker 2: I would respect him more if they just went out and just strategically committed a crime that came with like a twenty four to thirty six month kind of predictable sentence and just did your time came out yeah, I'm a feeling. Yeah, I did a couple of years whatever, like really go for it, you know, not just like yeah, I live thirty miles out of that neighborhood of those guys did whoop my ass over lunch?
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny when I think about Tupac's journey, I genuinely now his case.
Speaker 3: You know, his case.
Speaker 1: It's real, you know what I mean, Like he took a he was in a really weird case based off his relationship and misunderstanding with some lady with a young lady. Shout out to that lady his actual.
Speaker 3: Case right that he went to prison over.
Speaker 1: But I remember, you know, him going into jail and how like messed up he was about going to jail, like to the point where there was a time I thought Pap was gonna tell.
Speaker 3: He was like, you know, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't just there, no, he because because the case was like.
Speaker 3: Okay, so so of his case.
Speaker 1: It's not a simple sexual caught a sexual case. Shout out to the R word. I don't want to use it because I heard they be tripping when you use the R word. But the sexual assault case, if I understood correctly was rooted in pop You know this girl he was kind of messing around with. He let his friends. He opened the door and allowed his friends to come in and sleep with this label.
Speaker 2: Oh conductor.
Speaker 3: Yes. Now.
Speaker 1: I think the lady initially didn't complain because she thought this is what PAP wanted. And then after their relationship fizzled, right, she decided to go to the police, like this is what happened. Right, because the R word right, or sexual assault is not about a woman. It's not about a woman not saying no. That's it's not about a woman saying no. That's not what it is. A woman needs to say yes. Sure, she don't have to say no. If she doesn't say yes, you can be convicted on that level of sexual assault. So I say that to say right. So when he was going to jail, he was like yeah, like I was the only person that room. It was other people there too, And I remember seeing that like, well, that sound like he about to break. But the point I'm getting to is when he decided that his time in prison right because he was always reading.
Speaker 3: I remember hearing the stories and watching him speak about it.
Speaker 1: But when he started to make his plan about how he was going to take over the business based off of this experience right that he was going through currently and everything else he'd been through, and his attitude.
Speaker 3: He wrote it out like a.
Speaker 1: Blueprint, came home and built a mansion, not a not a real mansion. He bought a mansion, but he built a proverbial mansion. Out of his career at the highest level his music career in ten months and passed away. All he did have a start. I mean, obviously he had plage of records, he had a couple of things, but he was far from being the number one rapper in the game before that. I don't think there was a year before that. Maybe ninety five pop could have been top three maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe I know he was top five in ninety five.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'm comfortable saying he was top five, but I don't know if he was top three verses in ninety six. He became the number one five pre death Row, pre death Row, when he was yeah when when?
Speaker 3: When? Uh?
Speaker 1: The album came out? They had Dear Mama. I don't know why that album is slipping my mind. The title of it be against the Work Okay is album number one that he ended up doing a quarter million first week, which is more than he did on the double CD, right, so you know.
Speaker 3: Big records.
Speaker 1: Dear Mama shed so many tears, which to me got him a differ from street following, especially on the West. But I say that to say, like his dream was realized in that much time, you know, right once he planned. So back to your point where it's like, like you would respect more of somebody, you know, if you're going to do a crime, and then you built this as your platform to declare how street you are and how solid.
Speaker 3: You are, and that's.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, No, Pop didn't go that route, but he did make the most out of his misfortune. And that's what hip hop is all about, making the most. That's what street urban culture is about finding pride in your unfortunate situations, and in hip hop, it's about making true art out of this this unfortunate experience, you know, I mean using that pride, and.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting thing. And I don't want to rabbit hole this forever, but like I can not sympathize, I can understand like getting totally thrown off to the point where you might, you know, compromise your integrity through a testimony when you get brought in on a crime that you didn't intend to commit. You know what I'm saying like that, that would be jarring. Like if you go out, if you are like, I'm gonna go do that. I know it's illegal, We're gonna go do that. Everyone, we're doing that. I'm doing that, and then afterwards you fold what the hell are you? But if you're like, yeah, yeah, we're having a good time. Okay, you're facing five what like, like that's very traumatic?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, pos pos Po journey, you know, yeah, Po's journey definitely had some level of trauma. But again, great hip hop artists take ownership over trauma. Sure, I mean modern hip hop artists seems like they're falling victim to it. That's the thing that people celebrated then falling victim to their trauma. But the hip hop music I grew up on was all about taking ownership and control of trauma. Like it was cool, like Okay, they got drugs in my community, Well guess what, I'm finna get rich with these.
Speaker 3: I ain't finna do them.
Speaker 1: Versus today where it's like, you know, people are like, oh okay, well I can't handle the stresses of this current situation. So I'm going to do the drugs, and I'm going to celebrate how much money I make by how expensive the drugs are that I do.
Speaker 2: And how relatable my plight is to other people, you know, so to speak like that, and that's that's a generational thing. Like I mean, I don't know why it took me such a long time to articulate it concisely, but I remember being at the Black Effect thing in Atlanta, and I don't remember who was even on stage. It's just I could hear it. We were in the back where the food was so that I couldn't see. They're just noise coming and it was somebody was talking about something to like a psychiatrist on the stage about like blah blah blah blah, the first grade. And she'said, this is your trauma. Everyone's trauma, trauma, trauma, and this kind of being on the wrong side of like you know, victim mentality, whatever the hell, But there's a there's a generational difference between how things are perceived. And I was like, I don't want to hear about your trauma. I want to hear about your durability. And that was what I thought was so great about that generation. That era was the theme was about the durability. You know, everything was like, yeah, all this shit's happening, and I'm durable and I'm walking through it. Now it's like, all this shit's happening and I can't handle it. There's a different tenor to those two things.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. They definitely everything is about being close to suicide today. Yeah, I wasn't celebrated when I was growing up. It was about the durability. Well, I mean or I throw us the crunch era, so oh yeah, yeah, shout out to shout out to the boys from Seattle.
Speaker 3: Uh Nirvana, Yeah, al.
Speaker 2: Changed all of bost of those guys. Seattle Rock in the nineties went out like south Side Houston rappers in the two thousands, only about four left.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, growing up, it was considered white to commit suicide.
Speaker 2: Statistically, it was considered.
Speaker 3: White, saying, ain't that crazy how that worked?
Speaker 1: Though, Like, yeah, that was like some white people ship mm hmm doing, Like committing suicide was the whitest thing you could do when I grew up. Yeah, as a brother, you were like you were told to endure, you were supposed to endure and and and that is the driving force that made hip hop.
Speaker 3: Gret I agree with you there. I think people truly.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed, you know what I mean that all this struggle, people talking about all this misfortune, and that is the great that's a great point about hip hop, you know what I mean. And it is a dream come true for the ghetto. Whereas like we can't afford the finance Mercedes Benz, So we pushed grandfathers old and Pola out the yard. Right, we take it apart, do all the new interior painted. We put the wired wheels on it, put some airport you know, landing gear on it called hydraulics, and look, look, world, this is what we did, you know what I mean. And I think America in the world was like that's all right, you know, damn they they did that with that, that's you know, even your father, right would have to be like, no, that's okay. Like I like how they made the most out of their circumstance, even the broken English. Instead of you know, letting it be a setback, letting it be a setback, right, it was like, oh no, we're gonna take pride in the fact our English programs are bad, and our schooling is underfunded, and we're gonna still communicate, and we're gonna make it cool to.
Speaker 3: Communicate, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, oh, you know what, all we can afford you know, you going to school. Your parents can only afford seven pairs of work pants because work pants were cheap, right, the dickies were cheap. And it's like, nah, but I'm gonna put a crease in mind and I'm gonna cuff the bottom of them. I'm gonna put a flare in a fashion with them. Oh, you know what, the All Star Chuck Tator's there, twelve dollars. They're cheap, and your your mom can get you four pair, you know, so you have four different colors, you know what. I'm gonna put a big lace in them, and I'm gonna flip the tongue down like it was a pride in that struggle. So yeah, people would still be complaining about the struggle, but also they would take pride in the fact that they are surviving it with another level.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's an interesting dichotomy of always kind of observed between even like chronologically prior eras of like particularly black music, even like in the Islands, like Jamaican music, you know. At the same time, it was like there was sort of an inverse relationship between how circumstantially downtrodden stuff was and then the music was happier, you know, And then there was a sweet spot in hip hop where was like, we're putting out strength and perseverance to our people listening, but we're also going to try to pair that with some understanding of why we're feeling this way to listeners that are outside of our circle, you know what I mean. And then you go into like the suburbs where like everyone's happy and it's like the darkest, most souicidal music you can fire in the world. And I think part of that's the human desire to have three hundred and sixty degrees of the emotional experience. You have to manufacture joy, and you have to manufacture anger sad if you aren't giving it, you know what I mean, to a degree, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that. You what's your dream do you do? You do you have a dream?
Speaker 2: I don't have a dream no more. I used to have some those are those are gone. I'm just I mean, like bluntly speaking, I'm just waiting it out.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have a dream like that anymore. I really feel like, why would I dream like? To me, a dream should only be some things that no human has achieved. Yeah, like a dream would be going to Mars. I don't understand how people could dream about a car that's mass produced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what drives me insane? And I and I've brought it up before I was I had an interest in doing contact. If I was gonna spin off some individual like thing, I just never did it. I'm fascinated by just thumbing through women's profiles on dating apps of how they describe themselves in their own words. For the aggregate psychological intake of data that you can do so rapidly, it's like watching a giant polling project and fast forward. It's really And there's certain themes that I noticed that are like perfect encapsulations of time and space in the human experience. And one of them is what is your dream for the next year? That they always say the ship, And it's always some stupid fuck travel destination they want to go to. For the backgrounds and all of it.
Speaker 1: I would love to one day figure out how that became a thing. I do not remember growing up in women traveling being a thing five years. But if you if you you think about women culturally, and I mean women culturally, because there's a culture.
Speaker 3: Of being a woman, all women, and they are like.
Speaker 1: Way more human than we are, right, like it's gonna This is why I think they're way more human because they are so in tune with the other what the other one has and wants.
Speaker 3: They are so in tune with.
Speaker 1: It, like think about it, like girls want big titties because they saw another girl with big titties. Girls want girls want big booties because they've seen another girl with big I have never looked at any man and said to myself, I want what that person has, like it doesn't fit me. It may not fit me. Like I've never looked at your beard. It was like, I'm gonna die my beard red like Pete.
Speaker 2: That's probably good.
Speaker 1: But women, they they create these standards that kind of becomes the thing the whole time, like like eyelashes or traveling, and like if you ask them past where they're talking from, you like, well, why do you want to go there? They don't really know anything about the police.
Speaker 2: That is the show stopper conversation that I've had with more girls over the last few years. I want to go here, don't you suck traveling? No? And I save my usual phrase that I always say, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I just can't believe ho you would want to go to trouble. What's your itinerary? You just want to sit by a pool, have a cocktail and take a picture of it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: You could do that at the fucking hotel up the street. If you took four days off and went to a nice hotel with a nice pool, and your town is fucked off three thousand dollars for the sake of it, you wouldn't know the difference.
Speaker 1: Well, they would have to first admit that they are doing things for social currency, and women truly hate to admit that.
Speaker 3: Weirdly, I don't know why they thanks, hey.
Speaker 1: Hate to admit things everything. I don't know what that is, man, but they are so busy. It's weird because they are so envious over each other.
Speaker 2: And the only like trace of a manifestation of that that exists on our side. It's like, guys kind of want I don't say, specifically, you walk by with Susie. I want Susie, but I want a girl comparable to Susie. That's kind of where it ends. It's like, oh, he's got a bad matche. I want a bad bitch like that. That's kind of the most that it happens really for men in general speak. It's not like I really want that guy shoes so fucking bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is not something normal. I don't know, man, I don't know what that's about. I just don't know how people dream about things that everybody that people have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think maybe to some degree, Yeah, that that to me that there is a huge disassociation between what is money. All these are the things are exemplar, even money, but people understand what money. People think money is the yield. It isn't. Money is the metric of the yield. So they look past what they're producing to the to the ruler that measures how much production they made, not how much grain did you grow. It's looking it's looking at the height of your silo. No, the silo is just there to measure the grain.
Speaker 1: But they would firm for people instead of going to grow more grain. They want the effect of people thinking with the silo that they have more grain.
Speaker 2: People are probably this is the equivalent of people building empty, giant, massive monstrosity silos and people like, well, that guy.
Speaker 1: Sure produces a lot of grain, except you don't have the grain empty just tall. Do you think faking it is cheaper than actually making it?
Speaker 2: Always? Always? Even the expression fake it till you make it fortifies that. I mean, I could to some degree understand if you feel that you're robbed of access to the opportunity to demonstrate your abilities. So in order to get to the platform you can do that, you have to kind of pull a sleight of hand to you know, fabricate credibility. Sure, but people even doing it really for the most part, for that purposes. It's just that they just want to fabricate unearned respect. Mm hm.
Speaker 3: So why do they think that challenge is easier of faking?
Speaker 2: Faking it's always easier?
Speaker 3: Is it always?
Speaker 2: Always? So?
Speaker 1: Acting like you have a dollar is easier in actually getting a dollar?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure there's a diminishing returns point where the where the example is so minute, But put it this way, it's way easier to rent a Lamborghini and drive around town in it for the weekend than it is to buy it.
Speaker 3: But at that point, what's the.
Speaker 2: You know what amazes me, there's a few like particularly, and I don't know I know them. I can't think of it and I can, but I recognize the license plates of luxury car rental places. There's two or three main ones in LA and people come in and they do that. I'm amazed that these people don't have the foresight as soon as I if I went to LA and rented or Ferrari or Lamborghini or some shit, the first thing I would do is drive around the corner, get out of the car, and take the license frame off so people don't think I rented it's six minutes ago. They don't even put in that fucking effort. But they want the credit of being perceived as being highly productive.
Speaker 3: And I guess it could be cheaper.
Speaker 1: But then m hm, yeah, So I guess it all comes down to what's what's better being treated like it or being it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is kind of like true. I've always said, you know who the richest man of the world is, It's President of the United States. I don't care how much money is. No one, no one can, no one can command the spending of money on themselves at the rate that that guy does all day long. Elaborate if you wanted to travel anywhere in the world as the president of the United States with that level of security and have that much influence over industry, because at some point you get to where you're like a billionaire billionaire, now you're a genda is manipulating industry. No one can do that, like the President of the United States. They have more capital access than anybody has.
Speaker 3: Capital, but personal capital access.
Speaker 2: That's that. But that goes back to that original question. What's better to have it or to have the perception that.
Speaker 3: You have it? So wouldn't the president be the perception of having it?
Speaker 2: Yes, But it's like yes and no, they do have it because their checks don't bounce. Their checks just don't have their own name on them.
Speaker 1: So you spend somebody else's money, I want to spend raids money.
Speaker 2: I do you think of how much it would cost to like you remember that, Like there was a period of time where there was like pseudo death threats on Elon Musk when he bought Twitter and people were trying to like track his plane on the shit like that. How much would it cost Elon to fly multiple private jets with multiple Air Force caravans around those private jets? Like that would cost an obscene fortune. President SATs every da.
Speaker 3: Of the year. Oh you don't pay a bill, Yeah, m hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true corporation business. Do you think you've ever witnessed somebody like that takes somebody else's dreams for granted, you you've been around a lot of people that are celebrated. You ever you ever seen somebody and I don't want you to air the person, That's not why I'm asking, But you know you've been around people that are celebrated. Like we watched the thing happen with Malcolm. Shout out to my little bro, Malcolm Mays. We watched the thing happened when we were in Atlanta. What was the name of that backyard Grill, atl Shout out the Backyard Grill atl one of my favorite food places in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Shout out to the owner, dope brother. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Kids, They run a business. Amazing lamb chops, amazing wings Man, just fantastic place.
Speaker 2: And I love they did at job of pissing off steal and that made it all even that much better.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did make still upset, but I was thinking, like I felt bad because it's one thing to walk up to Malcolm. Now, Malcolm Maye if y'all look him up, if you listen to No Siller's podcast, he hasn't been on here. I'm gonna make sure I call him. I don't know why he hasn't, but we're gonna get him on here. But Malcolm is an actor, he's a writer, producer, just a really talented brother, you know what I mean. But we were chilling at this restaurant out in front, just a bunch of West Coast guys, and I tell you how many blower wind blowers walk by here every day. You would think it wouldn't be a leaf.
Speaker 2: They seriously at that place.
Speaker 1: Yeah uh, A guy asked for a drop, and that's like business like. It's one thing to walk up to Malcolm and say, hey, you know what, man, I like you in Snowfall as Kevin, the character Kevin cannot take a picture. There's nothing about me knowing Malcolm and what I believe in my heart that would make him say no.
Speaker 3: Like he came from the struggle, so he would be like.
Speaker 2: Boom rolling around Miami, incredibly gracious guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's weird when you walk up to somebody and you start to ask them for business. And that's where a dream can get out of control, where you have a dream of starting a business right or creating a brand, and you walk up to a stranger and ask them to endorse your brand, and it's gotten so far out of control now that people don't realize they're asking you to endorse their brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, that's true.
Speaker 1: But have you ever seen somebody that you thought handled someone else's dream incorrectly? He's like, you probably shouldn't have did it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see that happen often in the comedy space, the backstage world in comedy clubs in Los Angeles, the main two or three big ones, they're like, they're like the equivalent of being at like a tech accelerator incubator. You know, do you have the whales back there on certain nights who everybody knows. You've got the people who are big in comedy making good money that everybody at the bottom wants to be and everyone in comedy knows them. And then you've got the everybody wants everyone who's trying to get there.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me the three, give me a comic that fits all three rankings.
Speaker 2: Top levels, like you know, like your Mic Apps or Chappelle or whoever. Then you have guys that you some people might know that are like openers for them or they're just like you know, a comedian who tours around gets a couple thousand bucks.
Speaker 3: A week, you know, like Corey Hogan.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, something like that. Yeah, and then but and still has the ability to like you can make a guy because if you like somebody, have a relationship, you think that somebody's talented, they can come and open for you for a while, get a few hundred bucks to show whatever the hell, keep the lights on dimly, but build your career. And then you've got everybody at the bottom who wants a career. And yeah, you see that in that world all the time, because people take advantage of you know, I'll do any favor for you, whatever it might be. So so you know, hey, do this and all look out for you. They do it. They don't look out for him. Or someone does a favor, does a favor for this guy whatever the hell, because he wants to kind of graceiate himself. There people make a business of just taking favors all the time, and fuck everybody's doing or not done because nobody's nobody is doing it out of kindness. They want to quip pro quo. They used see that all the time, all the time.
Speaker 1: At which space does it become the the task of the dreamer and the dreamer alone?
Speaker 2: How do you mean like m okay, like like i'd like to draw parallel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like in rap it's like like one of the hardest part. And I'll be honest with you, I don't think this is something I ever said out loud, But there is a weird space where like behind the scenes, I give respect from probably some of the greatest rappers ever, and then there's an effort that it doesn't look like it's obviously like they're obviously like, Okay, I'm gonna help Glasses get to where he's trying to go. If this is his dream, I'm ann fulfill it. I'm helping fulfill it. It's not necessarily their responsibility. So I always task myself as like, if I want this to happen, I gotta walk it down myself. Nobody's gonna do it for me. But then somebody like still sees that, and he feels the exact opposite. He like, well, these people ain't your friend if they won't if they have opportunity and they're not granting it to you.
Speaker 2: It's always on the dreamer, always, And it's like in the comedy st so it's almost equivalent to like inviting some hot girl you're trying to fuck to some ultra expensive dinner and she goes to dinner because she wants the lobster and the steak that you offered her or whatever the hell or the concert tickets or god knows what, and then each you know, wipes software, the docton goes home and you're like, the hell you know, So like there is that aspect of it, and Marta kind of goes back to, like there's always if you're trying to do it off relationships, you're you're at the mercy of the other side of the relationship, you know. So that's that's a thing too. You know, it doesn't behoove you to probably wait around for someone to make your dreams come true for you.
Speaker 1: Is there an incumbent responsibility on humans to make to help other humans dreams come true? Do you feel that way as a human like being if the verb of being a human is being humane, to care, just care, extending granning, you know, that type of access to dreams if you have capability, or does it make you a bad human if you don't.
Speaker 2: I think there's a sweet spot. I think if you go out of your way, not too there's a problem. But to go out of your way to help every single person is impossible, and you have to have something, I mean at some point in time, like the dreamer has to offer enough quality to the gatekeeper, not only to make it worth the effort and time, but it's also like he's putting his name on you, you know, if it's just and some of that might be like I didn't want to, you know, if I was the guy who held all the keys, So I didn't want to help this guy out because yeah, he's a great friend of mine, but for what he wants to do, he's not able to deliver like that. So now I'm put I'm gonna damage my own credibility if I try to help the next guy, because whoever saw what happened the last time when I was full of it and just kind of nepotism some guy into an opportunity that they fucked off. So's it's hard to say. There's a lot of gray area in there.
Speaker 1: M You know, when we never talked about that, man and I wouldn't say your dream is to be a comic, but I know you take that serious. What's pretty much the underrated part of that, that that journey that nobody really knows if you're not in that world.
Speaker 2: To do comedy, you have to really like it at some point. You have to like I don't like it so much as I think I'm good at it. There's a big difference there between those two things. If I liked doing it, i'd be doing it all that. I don't like doing it the process, and I don't like the nature of the way the industry is based off of a lot of what I just explained. So there's that there's a lot of people that are not good that just like it and they just bang the door down until it falls over, you know, and you do you do improve there some learning curves and stuff like that. And there's comedians I saw who used to suck and now they still kind of suck, but they're very popular. They just we're good enough barely to get some laughs, and it's got a lot of those barely laughs, a lot they ope a credit to them for going through the process.
Speaker 1: I always said like comedy is like a if it's not a father, it's an uncle of hip hop's. And I always felt like comedy led the way for what hip hop could be right and when hip hop is at his best is when it's funny as well. And even in today saw that, Yeah, Russell did see that. That's a great point. I don't even think about that's funny how mathematically it just comes out to be right. But I've always said, like I think comedy as a whole, all the participants, not every single one, but as a mask they understand. I think there's the ignorant comic who they don't understand. They're selling funny. They're not selling jokes, sure, right, And that's a big thing. Like, and comedy sells funny, it doesn't sell jokes. They don't have to sell jokes. Jokes can be funny, but life can be just as funny and it's no joke. And I always felt like I felt like, like when I look at the hip hop scene today, like people dreaming of being hip hop artists and successful rappers that they don't realize they're selling culture, they're not selling rapso.
Speaker 2: And like to kind of piggyback off. Like I was saying on the on the live, Rap is the telephone wire. Hip Hop is the conversation the two people having on the phone. Yeah, comedy is the wire. Funny is the conversation the two people are having on the phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And to go even further, that's why Kevin Hart is the Drake of comedy.
Speaker 3: M Why is that break that down for me?
Speaker 2: Because he's an extremely talented comedian the same way Drake is an extremely talented rapper.
Speaker 3: But he's not funny.
Speaker 2: He's not funny, and Drake is not hip hop.
Speaker 3: No, what is Kevin funny? Really? I mean, I think I laugh.
Speaker 2: He's way more likable than funny. Hmm.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 2: He's you know, you know what he is. Do you remember driving down Crunchhaw at the corner of one thirty fifth over there the now defunct King Henry's. There was always that christ of three hundred that had the Bentley Kid on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right there.
Speaker 2: It's got all the shape into mentions of the Rolls Royce. It's just a three hundred. Kevin's got all the makings, all the makings of comedy, but it is that's not funny.
Speaker 3: But he's likable enough to be put in position ultra.
Speaker 2: Likable, ultra likable, and he delivers it.
Speaker 3: I met him twice. He's really cool dude, so you definitely want him to win.
Speaker 2: And he's an example. He's a workhorse. His pen's not great, his deliveries tremendous. He knows what he is and what he isn't on stage. He does he like I go back in life in general, you know, control your controllables, all the stuff that he can really control around his writing. He aces all of it out writing and so good.
Speaker 3: I get it. I get it. What he's saying pretty much is just a bit shallow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that if I read if he transcribed his special, I just read it on a piece of paper. I'm not probably laughing real hard. There's a lot of other comedians where I would.
Speaker 1: Be, Okay, I'm gonna do something again because we don't never talk about which I can't call it your dream, but your ability as a comic right, And I want you to give me grades ABC D F sure of comics, but we're not gonna do any new comics. I'm gonna do comics that have been around fifty plus at minimum, right, maybe longer.
Speaker 3: Eddie Murphy Prime, Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 2: Prime, Eddie Murphy. I haven't watched that in a long, long, long long time. It's not fresh enough. I feel like it's B plus A minus C, and I feel like some of that's also comedy is interesting in a sense to like if you do something this groundbreaking in eighty five or six, I'm a kid. I didn't see it till two thousand, so a lot of like not being impressed by a four model.
Speaker 1: T sure you didn't get the time, sure, like like how old I was when I saw raw in real time. I couldn't imagine what it was like to being an adult to see that.
Speaker 2: Because in the interim, what happened is a thousand people ripped it off, so it's not as new and fresh and unreal by the time I saw it. So there is some of.
Speaker 3: That holding back from.
Speaker 1: A plus you would like to give him because you didn't get a chance to see it in real time.
Speaker 3: Eddie Murphy's my favorite comedy, Red Fox.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, Red I haven't watched enough of his stage stuff, but like, he's a guy that I just even on TV every I've never seen something Red did that I wasn't like, Wow, Like he's really funny. He's really funny.
Speaker 3: Richard Pryor.
Speaker 2: Richard Pryor does an amazing job of being funny and likable. There's a lot of comedians that are really funny and you go, God, got's an asshole. He was not one of them. He's there's a reason why what's the name of the white guy who had the beard was bald who died from like way back in the day, George Carlin. I feel like those two guys are the most why like inspirational in the in the field. They have inspired more comedians than anybody else, and there's a reason for it.
Speaker 3: Mmm, what about Bernie Matt.
Speaker 2: Most underrated comedian of all time?
Speaker 3: Why is he the most underrated? That's that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think he did enough solo stuff. Every time I see him, he's part of a compilation, whether it was Jef Comedy Jam or whether it was Original Kings or whatever. I don't And then he got into TV and he passed away, you know, But like when he's going it's unreal.
Speaker 1: So here's here's another question. Do you respect comics that are funny in films but they're not the best stand up Do you have a respect for that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have a tongue in cheek respect for that. I have a respect for it. It's different. It's different. I think that there are like good stand up comedians that don't trans real well in comedy movies. Like I like Chappelle a lot. I've seen in a few movies.
Speaker 3: Sure, but he's not great in films.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One thing I'll say for sure is and it's always like it's an old adage. Comedians can translate into a drama movie, but a drama actor does not. Yeah, it's not They can only go into comedy so far before it breaks.
Speaker 1: I think Mike ib is ready for a dramatic role. Yeah, I think he has enough experience. It's funny because, like I said, Mike is like one of my favorite people in modern comedy, like just as a person to hes just like a stand up dude, good dudes.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: But I feel like his comedy is so translatable on the screen, but on the stage he had to find his way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like Mike is like he don't. It's not about him writing. He's just a funny person.
Speaker 1: And I think still the stage is not necessarily about being a funny person. It's like being a great writer is not as important. Here's something that translated hip hop right, And this is for all the dreamers, where it's like Snoop is an incredible rapper. It's not an incredible writer. He's an incredible rapper. His ability to deliver on stage like right and and mean what he says, say what he means and make it translatable octave and stuff makes him one of the greatest hip hop artists in history, you know, the greatest outside of the cultural you know, renaissance. He is himself, but he's the exact idea. And I noticed that in comedy there are certain guys like Marlon Wayne's. I think I told you the last thing up he did before this last one one he did about Chris Rock. It's one of the funniest comedy specials I ever saw in my entire life. But I've watched so many Marlon Like Marlon Wayne's translate on films incredible, like he's the corniness works like he's one of the best like I've seen on the screens as far as funny, but like his comedist stand up usually be kind of like, yeah, this ain't really you know, it's a bit tongue in cheek, But that particular comedy special is one of the funniest comedy specials I ever saw. So again, I don't want to talk about modern comics because we don't know. Most likely we be doing those seilings for another five years most likely, So I don't want to irritate somebody soul and then they don't want to come on the show. But I want to ask you something that's important for me to know. If something like that, if you had to make a choice. God loves Me. That's the name of the Martin Wayne stand up, God Loves Me. Have you watched it?
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 1: It's really fired broat it like one of the ten funniest comedy specials I ever saw in my life. And the way it's set up and put together, it was incredible. Bit Marlin is the mind for it, you know. I mean, even if to me he might have he's struggled before on stage where you know, he's not necessarily the best. His films are great, So you know he has the mind because he's writing the films. But he got it right on God Loves Me, somebody that does a stand up like that, and and and or like let's say Kevin Hart, this, this is Kevin Hart is probably the greatest comic in the world today.
Speaker 3: Greatest, not the best, right because yeah him? Right? Okay? What is missing that would make him? What separates him?
Speaker 1: Because I agree like Eddie Murphy is an A plus, right, let's say Kevin Hard is probably a B minus.
Speaker 3: What separates him from being an A plus? It's just something that he can do? Is it? Because he can?
Speaker 1: I know he has writers, right, He's at that level to where he ain't writing every joke? So what's stopping him from trans like why don't I think he's the funniest person on earth.
Speaker 2: Part of it might be the writers that reliance. I think what it is is as I don't know. I can't speculate, but I think it probably started with him understanding my nonverbals are my strength. So he leans into that, and then as he gets really successful. You have other writers, and they might be good, but it's hard to say string together a tapestry of like your jokes, their edits by other people, other people's jokes, your refinements of theirs to fit like it just it's just not not really there's there's some people who just really, really really have And we're talking again about the top Let's say, if we expand the list, we're not gonna beer all day with the top fifty out of fifty thousand. You know, we're cutting it really really thin on the top line here.
Speaker 3: Sure, so.
Speaker 2: I can't. I've been trying to think of the name of the guy who's the guy who played Negro Damis in the Chapelle Show, Paul Mooney. He was the writer, he was the writer's writer, right.
Speaker 1: He's probably he's probably not the best delivery guy, but his pen was nasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he sits up there on a chair and just nonchalantly recites his written stuff and it's insane. It's it's fantastic. It's crazy, crazy, crazy good. You know, if you put that coming out of somebody else's mouth, it's obviously what we saw, you know, success you said prior and I don't know how, I don't know whose cadillog people that he wrote for, but like that's not there. I mean, even like good Cat, Good Dave. You know there's other guys who there's something extra there. There really is, you mean, like tell me.
Speaker 3: You mean with Paul's pen or with those guys.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying those got like that upper as of people whose material.
Speaker 1: Is just you know what it is too. With Cat and Dave, they're serious. Yeah, like keV, Yeah, I think that's kind of that you might. keV is not serious, and keV is you know, I mean he's funny, like he's not like I've watched him in films, you know, he carries it enough to where he's funny enough to make it work.
Speaker 2: Kevin feels like he's trying to get a laugh, and the other guys feel.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm not writing I'm serious, I'm not even trying to make you laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is really funny. If you like it, that's great. If not, fuck it. And they just started with one hundred wheeled it down to the ten things from that origin that they just were like, Okay, well everyone else finds these ten things funny that I was gonna say anyway, the other ninety are still funny to me, but these ones are the most marketable for the thing I'm selling.
Speaker 3: I genuinely think those guys be dead serious.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not joking, like I know for sure talking to Cat like he was serious and I'm like, but I noticed that a greatness in a lot of comics. You know, where they they have the perfect mix. See, I think it's somewhere between where Dave and and and and and where Dave and and and uh and cav is at. I mean, whereas like Eddie Murphy is right in the middle, Martin Lawrence is right in the middle, you know what I mean, those guys who serious but they still know how to make fun of themselves. Dave, Dave and Cat, you know that they do the same thing. They are fucking serious it. Yeah, like almost believe they're offended when you laughing at some of the ship they say, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But then you have the Cavs and and to me, the more mainstream comics who kind of just making fun of themselves.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure like to me and every one of them didn't hit like that. But one of the funniest specials I ever saw in my life, first time I saw it was Why You're Crying by George Lopez. Mm hmm, I was died twice. I mean like, and I'm not the big like the biggest family. I wouldn't say if I had to watch one special where I die, I want to watch something by Robin Williams. But he's the most talented to ever do it. In my opinion. His compilation of what he does on stage hits multi dimensionally. It's thoughtful, it's dramatic, it's all those things. He did very very well in comedy on screen undeniably, and he did very well in drama on screen that was not funny in any way, shape or form, and one Academy Awards.
Speaker 1: I think, I think once you see this Marlon Wayne special, I want to talk to you about it if you take some time to watch it, because I think he's in the same vein of Kevin Hart, where you know their comedy comes from them making fun of themselves, and that's where you know, really the most successful comics oh successful meaning monetized, not because there's a different reverence that people like Dave and Cat carry that let's say Marlon, like Marlon and keV don't have that people don't have for them. But I think they're the most financially successful because they don't take themselves serious.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I think in part of that they aren't gonna, you know, die on the hill of artistic integrity. A lot of their stuff does come off a little bit algorithm like, it's algorithm comedy based off of focus groups, and that's how you make money. That's that's how you market anything in the world. And they they do it, and they I'll do everybody else.
Speaker 3: Rodney Dangerfield, A B, C, D F. You know any of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I'll give Rodney. I'm gonna give him another one of those asterisks, A minus B plus things like Eddie because it was so long ago that by the time I saw it, the moment and the influence polluted the observational experience. You know, he was doing this back in the seventies. He was like the first guy to be crude and casual on stage, like really really groundbreaking. And he's very very funny. I mean, his whole thing is pretty funny. That's a good stick. But like it's different when you've seen him in ten movies and you've seen everybody else be crude and casual and then you see him do it first. It totally you don't get that experience.
Speaker 1: It's like Jake the Snake Roberts with the DDT. Yeah, the DDT looks like nothing today, but when Jake the Snake Roberts was doing it, it was the stone Coat stunning.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, and you get that. That's true a lot in hip hop. I think hip hop does a good job of blindly giving a lot of credit to its early phase, you know, developers of the of the genre. It defers to that seniority really really well as a knee jerk reaction because it consciously or unconsciously. You can't listen to the best rapper from nineteen eighty one in twenty twenty four and compare them one to one. There's too much learning curve. There's too much influence, there's too much originality. It's same thing I like watching basketball. Coozy, the most dynamic guard walking in nineteen sixty two. Well, someone saw what he did, learned and refined. Someone saw what they did. They're your four generations removed. Now you don't appreciate. I wouldn't watch Coozy today and go, oh my god, I gotta agree. But I would be missing reality if I if I fail to recognize it.
Speaker 1: There looking out for tuning into the No Senters podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comedy Share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. It produced about the Black Effect podcast Network and iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah,