Speaker 1: If I bet I'm gonna eat something. To ask Darien, I'm gonna take keep black tape?
Speaker 2: Why we do that?
Speaker 3: Cume?
Speaker 1: I like I crease some time and I want to eat some cheese if I wanted some cheese.
Speaker 2: But why do you have to keep the black tape?
Speaker 3: Is what happened my stomach that it don't agree with my stomach.
Speaker 1: But know why, but it'll agree with me table, I tell my stomach shut up all.
Speaker 4: My life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle.
Speaker 2: The Price, want a slice?
Speaker 4: Gottor Brother Geys swap all my life, Poppy grinding all my life, all my life, been grinning all my life, sacrifics, Hustle, Pa Price, want a slice?
Speaker 2: Doctor brother Geist swat.
Speaker 4: All my life, pop Be grinding all my life.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to another edition of Club Shaha. I am your hole Shannon Sharp. I'm also the propriet of Club Shaha. And the lady that's stopping by for conversation on the drink today is an Emmy nominated NAACP Award, Image Award winner, New York Times bestselling author, globally known and beloved social media personality, one of TikTok's top three creator, a vegan icon, plant based activist, Peter twenty twenty Person of the Year, A mogul entrepreneur, ce CEO and actress producer Ride a Whole fashion designer. Why America's Mom and Auntie Tabitha Brown?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 5: Honey?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 2: I was like, who did all that?
Speaker 3: Did I need anything else?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: How are you doing this thing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing amazing?
Speaker 1: You man, I am doing this is an unbelievable honor for me. When doing my research on you, I'm like, Wow, I'm just not hearing about you. But you've been at this thing for a minute.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've been doing it for a long time. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think in the second phase of my life, which has been the last six years.
Speaker 2: When most people found me. Right, it's how most people know me.
Speaker 6: But I've been pursuing my dreams and entertainment for over twenty plus years.
Speaker 1: So when people refer to you as America's Mom or everybody's favorite auntie, how does that make you feel?
Speaker 3: Do you? Are you like, don't be calling me no Auntie?
Speaker 5: I ain't.
Speaker 2: Oh no, honey, I love it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a term of endearment.
Speaker 2: It's a term of endearment.
Speaker 6: And also like for the term America's Mom. I had that on my vision board for years and nobody knew that really, but I wanted it because I wanted to be like Claire Huckson I was growing up.
Speaker 2: I looked at her like, oh, she's America's Mom. So I wanted to be.
Speaker 6: That, and I thought I'd have a show as an actress and get that title.
Speaker 2: But people call me that just for being me.
Speaker 1: So when you were growing up, you're from a small town in North Carolina, reaching Eden. Yeah, my stylist is from Reidsville. Shut up, Hollywood. Hollywood is from Redsville.
Speaker 2: Say it ain't. So come on with the three three cs. We got to know each other again.
Speaker 5: I talk people.
Speaker 1: So when you're growing up, So what did what did little Tabitha want to.
Speaker 3: Be when she was growing up?
Speaker 2: I wanted to be an actress.
Speaker 6: You want to be an acts It started very early, about five or six, watching The Cosby Show, and I remember telling Mama, I said, Mama, I want to be Rudy's friend. That ring the doorbell net you it would come in and he never had nothing to say.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that.
Speaker 6: I had something I wanted to say and so she said, oh, you want to be friends with Rudy. I said, but only in the TV. I didn't know what that meant. And she said, oh, that means you want to be an actress.
Speaker 2: And so I spent all my childhood trying to figure out how do I become this thing called an actress?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And so my whole life, that's always been what I wanted.
Speaker 1: Even from a small town in North Carolina, you dreamt, you dreamt big of somewhere, being far, far away from North Carolina, never forgetting your roots, but you wanted to be Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to be on TV, right.
Speaker 6: I was always the one performing at the cookouts, Sunday dinners, all that you know, I did. It would buy me joke books, so I was studying them all week and so I'd be like, Ooh, this weekend at the cookout or at the Sunday dinner, I'm about to perform these jokes.
Speaker 2: You know, It's just always been the thing I love.
Speaker 1: Did you being from North Carolina? Obviously I have a I'm from rule, South Georgia. I talked with a heavy coloquial dialect. You're from north rural North Carolina, And so you talked with that dialect. Also, did you take classes to try to remove that or you just set alone who you are?
Speaker 6: I covered it for years, for years, okay, from corporate America being told that you got a coverage and then and entertainment being told you know, I sound country, I sound ignorant.
Speaker 2: I believe that.
Speaker 6: And so I took acting classes and you know, learned how to cover it. But I also learned how to code switch. Very early as a little girl. My mama talked to bill collectors and change her voice. And I'm like, oh, that's how we got to talk to right, you know, talk to family friends one way, talk to exactly. And I did that, but I did it for so long, you know, I kind of lost myself for a little bit.
Speaker 2: But now these last.
Speaker 6: Six years it has been my freedom walk and I never covered anymore.
Speaker 1: What did people say, because a lot of times they say, oh, you're trying to act, you know what they would say, Oh yes, So, so how did how did they receive when you code switched?
Speaker 2: Well, it was a normal thing, right.
Speaker 6: A lot of people met me and didn't know no different because that's how they met me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So, now, when you know some of the people I met years ago, they see me now like you didn't used to talk that way.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, because I won't free.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But now, if you had ever come to my house.
Speaker 6: And you was with me and my husband and my daddy and all my family, you would have always heard this if I was comfortable enough with you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So why was it so important to get back to Tabitha's original self and not let corporate America change Because if you change your voice, you're changing who you are. Because the part of who Tabitha Brown is is that North Carolina, right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It was just about freedom, Like I had lost freedom. You know, when you start to conform to make other people feel comfortable and you code switch and you're trying to fit in, it's not freedom, right. And so when I got sick, my prayer was to God was if you heal me, you can have me. And what I meant in that was I'm not going to try to be this Tabitha I created no more.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be who you created me to be. And that mean you me, and that mean I had to be like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that, And I've been letting him have me for the last six years.
Speaker 2: Every day you have.
Speaker 3: A lot of sayings.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're my you know, people hear me on and I talked about what my grandmother and my grandfather would say, like hello there. Likes like that because it's my business. Have a good day, and even if you can't, don't go messing up to somebody else's day.
Speaker 2: That's my dad and my daddy.
Speaker 1: Have you always because I've never I shouldn't say never, but for the most part, when I watch you interview and see you, you're always smiling, You're always so happy. Have you always been this person?
Speaker 6: I have always been a joyful person. That's what my husband always says. He's like, that's just it's always been the root of who I am. Right, I choose joy. It's a it's an intentional choice every day. It doesn't mean I haven't had bad days or bad time, but I've also had a long bout of a dark season, and I know what that looks like and it ain't no fun. And so I'm intentional with my joy and with my happiness, and I want to spread that right.
Speaker 1: So it's very important for you to be positive even though you're going through things, even to see people see you and you.
Speaker 3: Smiling like, hey go through right.
Speaker 1: Yes, But it seems to me that you're very appreciative because you know where you came from, you see where you are and where you're heading.
Speaker 3: That you're very, very, very appreciative. My grandmother used to.
Speaker 1: Say, and when we didn't have anything, she said, boy, don't be ungrateful to God. Yes, she said, you got you woke up this morning, did you? So everything else is a blessing after that?
Speaker 2: That's right, that's the gift. Wow, that's the gift.
Speaker 1: So now that your struggles, you talk about how you're struggling, because everybody see the last six years of Tabitha, but there was a period in which we didn't see this Tabitha.
Speaker 3: What were those times?
Speaker 2: Like those times were?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: I was living right, So I was pursuing acting, but I was a wife and a mother I have been for you know, almost twenty two years now a mom and being my husband for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: So we were working and trying.
Speaker 6: To build and struggling and from North Carolina to california're back to North Carolina to California again, but always pursuing the dream. My only dream back then was acting, right, I couldn't see hass that I had to put myself in a little box.
Speaker 2: And so that's what it was.
Speaker 6: But I always had a job. I used to work in Macy's. I used to work at UPS at a call center in North Carolina.
Speaker 3: What type of employee was Tabitha?
Speaker 2: Oh, listen, it's always a good employee.
Speaker 6: Okay, I can go get a job right now, Okay, right now, I can go get a job.
Speaker 2: I ain't never been like.
Speaker 3: I can see why you worked in the call center. See how you do it today.
Speaker 2: Exc So that's where I learned to coverage, right, you know? Yep?
Speaker 1: I asked you about we see the last six years of Tabitha, and we talked about obviously you talked about the time that you were going through and you said something. You said you were living, but is there's a difference between living, surviving and thriving.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: So you wanted to live to survive in order for you to thrive, That is correct.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yes, I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess we're the king and quean queen the slogans.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, so.
Speaker 1: When times got hard and you met I remember growing up when people left in the you know, you used to go to New York and they go to Chicago, they go to Detroit and came back home. They're like, oh, you don't bomb that. You got high on the hog and you had to come home right, right, right? It was like you were a failure. So how did it make you feel? You left North Carolina, you go to California and you have to go back.
Speaker 2: You know, in the beginning, I was against it, right.
Speaker 6: I had moved to California, thought I was moving to Hollywood, but I was down in Orange County somewhere. My husband was my boyfriend at the time, and he came out. I had been out there for like three months. I didn't tell nobody how bad it really was, right, and I'm renting this room. This woman is pretty much taken all my money and working two jobs. I'm nineteen years old, And so when my husband came out there, he was like, man, you ain't doing no acting.
Speaker 2: You ain't. We're not even in LA right, like you struggling to even pay bills. He was like, this donna make sense, and it's expensive, right, he.
Speaker 6: Said, we need to go back to North Carolina where it's cheaper. Save up money for one year, then we can move back to LA where you can really pursue your dream. And so I was like, man, I ain't really want to do that, but it sounded like a good idea. So I was like, all right, So we moved back, but we saved up a little bit of money so that we can move in and have our own apartment there.
Speaker 2: And we moved to Greensboro, moved into the city.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, and.
Speaker 2: So and we were there.
Speaker 6: The one year planned though, turned into five years and a forgotten dream because you know, we ended up having a baby and we were both working, and we got a house, and we had caused new responsibilities, and I just thought I missed out on that opportunity. I convinced myself I couldn't have it no more.
Speaker 3: Right, So, yeah, you so you weren't embarrassed to go back? You didn't.
Speaker 1: And then when you had a child, and you see you say okay, and your husband talked to you into going back, and you say we got one year, it turned into five years, and.
Speaker 3: Did you like, damn at your lowest? How bad was it?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 6: Even then, I don't think it was my lowest, okay, right, I think that I had just convinced myself that this is what it is, okay, And so it wasn't until I mean, I was working at a cart and I had promoted to supervisor at a beerage. Okay, okay, I was like twenty one and I had people under me that was in eight fifties.
Speaker 3: So I'm.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I was probably making I think thirty thousand dollars a year. I was bowling.
Speaker 6: We was doing very well, good money back then, right, and so I was like, this is our root team, Like this is gonna be it. And one morning I woke up it felt like an earthquake had hit Greensboro. My bed shook and I heard a voice that sounded like thunder, and the boy said.
Speaker 2: This is not the life I planned for you.
Speaker 6: And I got on my knees because I got very scared, and I just started praying. I was like, God, if this is you speaking to me, I need you to show me a sign today because if not, I think I'm going crazy. I'm gonna check myself in. And I told my husband what happened, and I think he thought I was crazy. But then later that day we was on our way to the mall and on the radio, Buster Brown, who was the local DJ at the time. He came on the radio and he was like, this is Buster Brown. I got a new TV show on the WB network, and I'm holding auditions looking for a female co host. And I could have bust the windows out the car. I went crazy and across that's my sign. That's that's that's that's my audition. I got to go, and I went and I booked that job, and that's what got me back into dreaming again.
Speaker 3: Got you in the TV.
Speaker 1: You're like, okay, but did you did you lose aspirations of being an actress or he says, Okay, TV is my endpoint to maybe it's just something bigger.
Speaker 6: No, I just that was my my sign to get back into it. I started doing that. I was producing my own sagments and interview with people right, kind of like you, okay.
Speaker 3: Well I'm in Hollywood. Okay, Hollywood.
Speaker 6: I guess that's a sign, right, And so then I started back doing theater community and then I would drive three hours to Wilmington to do extra work on One Tree Hill because I was like, I need to know what it's like to be on a set, right so that I can see, like how everything works. And then I did all that for like a year, and then I told my husband, now it's tiying to move back.
Speaker 2: To La Yep.
Speaker 1: I read where your mom had passed and it was a very dark time for you, singinglarly went through some depression. So what was that time? So how did you deal with what you was going through? Because I'm assuming you're very close to your mom and then to the chief tore like, Okay, I know my mom would want me.
Speaker 6: To do what Yet So when my mama was sick, it was a tough time, you know, because me and my husband we were still very much so newly married and we've been together for years, but we were new in Los Angeles, so I was going back and forth to North Carolina to help take care of her.
Speaker 2: So just that time and to know that it was a terminal disease. Mama died young. She was fifty one, wow. And so those three years were hard.
Speaker 6: In itself, but I feel like it was the time that changed me the most, but in the best way, you know, when you see somebody who was amazing. My mama was a light, and she was a master at giving grace, and she loved people, and she never complained. So I saw my mama go from being this amazing woman. She was a social worker, she was a pastor who wore heels every day and was you know, out all the time, to the point where she was trappingside her body and could not move because she had a LX.
Speaker 2: And never one time did she complain.
Speaker 6: And I remember talking to her, and I remember asking her, you know, Mama, if you could go back and change and not be sick, would you change it?
Speaker 2: And she said no, And I said, you wouldn't go back and change not getting sick? She said no. That means God has trusted me with this journey. He knows I can handle it. And that stuck with me, right, It stuck with me.
Speaker 6: And then just to see her go through it so gracefully and always have a smile on her face. I always took that and was like, I gotta do something with my life, you know. So when she passed away, I was like, Okay, I'm gonna take any job I can, just you know, an acting. And I did a lot for like two years, stuff that nobody needed to really see.
Speaker 2: I was like, I booked it. Hey, I'm gonna do this movie. That's when you know the straight to DVD Yeah yeah, straight yeah yeah yeah yeah, cho Buster and all that.
Speaker 6: I had like five movies and like one year all went to like DVDs and it, you know.
Speaker 2: But I mean it was great.
Speaker 6: I mean, of course I joke about it, but I'm glad for every role I took back then because it just validated that I was living in a dream that I had, right, and also that my mama told me that this day would come.
Speaker 2: But back then, I thought that was the day she was talking about.
Speaker 1: When you I hear you talk about your mom when you ask her if she could go back and change anything, even with the debilitating disease of ALS, he said she wouldn't change a thing. If that what allows you to stay so positive because you saw the journey that your mom was on, and no matter what you was going through, ain't no way it's even comparable to what she's going Listen.
Speaker 6: It plays a large role in my everyday life. In my everyday life, even like right now, things I'm going through, I'd be like, man, I hate that I'm going through this, but it's nothing compared to that.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm reading you a ups worker basically warehouse uber.
Speaker 3: You worked at Mason and Central City.
Speaker 2: I worked in the office at the office, Yeah, at Macy's.
Speaker 1: So you're an uber driver. I was, okay, what type of uber driver did you get? It was you get one star, two star, three stars.
Speaker 2: Liszt said, you know, I was the best super driver.
Speaker 6: I did it from October of twenty seventeen to December or yeah, December thirtieth seventeen, and I was the best super driver.
Speaker 2: I know how to read the room though, I know what people don't want to talk about, Okay, okay, right.
Speaker 6: But I also was like, in my mind, I'm about to get discovered in my car.
Speaker 2: Okay, so everybody that.
Speaker 3: You're gonna cast, the director was over here.
Speaker 6: I thought I would find a pick up, the producer, the director of the.
Speaker 3: Cast, somebody that can put you on.
Speaker 6: I said, I'm gonna get discovered in the car because they gonna they gonna love me. I'm I'm gonna hit them with a couple of things and then I'm gonna just call you from the set.
Speaker 2: That's how my mind rights. But I did not. It'll pick up.
Speaker 6: I think I picked up maybe one person who said they was a producer, and I was like, yeah, you ain't no producer, but you keep speaking it into existions, right, But I would every time somebody to get.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, how you doing?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So you getting so you picked me up?
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: You're gonna introduce yourself? You say, Hi, I'm tabletha. What's your name? What type of music wuld like to listen to? I have some water, have some wives, have some mints in the back.
Speaker 2: I have all that.
Speaker 3: Star was was.
Speaker 6: I had a good crisis three hundreds okay, okay, it was a nice crist of three hundred.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Now when we had the fires, I did go to the right aid and get.
Speaker 2: The mask for the people. This before COVID okay, wow.
Speaker 6: Because I was telling people this and the ashes was falling, right, I was like, I got a little mask right here, but the water and stuff I couldn't afford all that. And now I had been on disability for over yah. I was just getting back on my feet. Just so, what y'all gonna get this mask?
Speaker 3: You mentioned your little disability? What transpired? You? You're following you? No?
Speaker 2: I got sick.
Speaker 3: Sick.
Speaker 6: I got sick in twenty sixteen, and uh I had a headache in the back of my head and the headache was there every day for a year and seven months, and I started having chronic fatigue in my body and chronic pain throughout, and I just could not get well, and going to the doctor every week and every month and doing blood work and.
Speaker 2: All kind of like MRIs, everything would come back normal.
Speaker 6: They couldn't figure out what's wrong with right, And so they just told me one day, they were like, we know that it's something out of immune making your body attack itself.
Speaker 2: We just can't figure it out.
Speaker 6: And so of course when somebody tell you we know something wrong with you, but we don't know.
Speaker 1: Hold on, y'all went to all this school, man, y'all went to school for ten, fifteen, twenty years. Y'all are waiting to get all these yea, and y'all don't nobody know nothing.
Speaker 6: No, no, So that cost me to fall into the dark depression.
Speaker 1: So now you depressed because you've got people that's very, very, very well educated, and they can't diagnose or tell you what's wrong or how long this is going to go on.
Speaker 2: This is very true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, yeah, you try and stand up.
Speaker 2: I did. I was doing it for a little while, honey, And it was right, good in it?
Speaker 3: How many jobs? How many time to figure how many jobs you had?
Speaker 2: Or you jaica listen, it's probably my rooms.
Speaker 6: Okay, maybe I mean ups Mazie's uber stand up?
Speaker 3: What made you decide to do stand up? Were you fron other child?
Speaker 2: Oh? Always? Comedy is natural for me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Okay, but I told you my daddy used to buy me Joe book. We used to watch stand up all the time. My daddy was a big richer prior thing. Yes, Jerry Clyd were like all the like. We used to listen to the records and listen to comedy and then death comedy Jam when that came, would record them all. I would play them over and over and over. So it was just a thing that I loved and I respect. And so when I was trying to get a TV show because I was acting and acting, and I was like, man, these comedians keep getting.
Speaker 2: TV shows, let me go try some standing.
Speaker 6: So that's why I did it. That's why I did it, trying to get a show.
Speaker 3: So you were good. So did you get booed?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Never, really never?
Speaker 3: So why did you give it up?
Speaker 2: I got seeck. So when I got sick.
Speaker 3: You thought about going back.
Speaker 2: I'm not really every blue moon people would be like you you stand up again.
Speaker 6: I think that now what I do it has stand up in its own way, right.
Speaker 2: But I realized why I love stand up so much.
Speaker 6: It is really to make people feel well, right, And I do that anyway.
Speaker 3: You do your personality. You walk into the room.
Speaker 1: You walked into the room and you have this big smile and you're like full of energy and vibrants. It's like, even if I'm down, like, damn, she happy. So something must be going back to happen to me because she just came outside. So when I go back outside, it's gonna be it's gonna be sunny again.
Speaker 3: So you didn't meet anybody in La. How did this start to take off?
Speaker 1: I read that you did you critique Whole Foods a vegan.
Speaker 2: The sandwich sandwich?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: And from fifty thousand views to a million views and that was really the launching or the jumping off point for you.
Speaker 2: Yes. So I was driving over right. So this is December thirty of the twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: I had been a new vegan for a couple of months, so I had just started doing videos in these couple of months to tell people excuse me when I find a new vegan option, or I would cook in my kitchen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna share it with y'all.
Speaker 6: And so I had dropped somebody off buy Whole Foods, and I was like, oh, I need a little breakfast. Whole Foods always got a vegan option. Went in there, and I had never heard of vegan bacon at the time. I was like, oh, I got a bot, but it's vegan. Let me get that why they got a play baseall again, reall yes, And so I got it ate the first half of the Sundar so quick. I was like, oh lord, I need to do a video to tell people I found a new vegan option.
Speaker 2: So, sitting in my car, I did the video, posted it, I went on back to drive an uber.
Speaker 6: I ain't think anything really up the video because I was already doing videos and they won't getting like no thousands of us. They would get like a couple hundred views, a couple thousand over a couple of weeks, you know. And so when I got back home and termed my notifications on that video had like over.
Speaker 2: Fifty thousand views. Wow.
Speaker 6: And then I was like, well, we're watching the video like, I don't know. And then the next morning when I checked it again, it had over one hundred and some thousand. I was like, I told my husband I think I'm going viral, and he was say, what that mean.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know. He was liked, well, you gonna make some money. I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know that either.
Speaker 6: But four days later, Whole Food's reached out on Facebook and my DM and it was like, we saw your video.
Speaker 2: We'd love to work with the honey of the rest in history ever since then.
Speaker 1: Ye, so Whole Food's reaching out in your DM. You're mispronouncing the sandwich wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: They ended up they ended up saying, okay, we're gonna call it what you call it.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was originally TLTA for ten fee letters Tomato Avocado. I called it TTLA okay cause I was just excited and I thought I said it right, but I said it wrong, So they changed it to TTLA.
Speaker 1: Did you go vegan because of what was transpiring with your body? The auto immune deficient the thing that you had going on? And you say, you know what, I meet meat and I'm putting all this process food in my body, Let me try.
Speaker 2: This, Yes, so I went vegan.
Speaker 6: My daughter came home from school one day during this time of my sickness, and she was like, we saw this documentary at school today, Mom, I think you should watch it. And it was What the Help on Netflix, and so we watched it together and I told my husband, I was like, mmm, when they started talking about not all diseases being hereditaries that they can eat the same thing that can cause the same disease in our family, and I thought, well, my mama.
Speaker 2: Died at fifty one, a rare disease. There's no cause or cure.
Speaker 6: And my daddy was the first man to ever turn seventy in our family. Wow, And people die young in my family and they get seeking young ages. And so I thought, well, the only thing we had in common was how we ate. And I wasn't a bad eater, right because you know, I was in Hollywood, But I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Eating to feel well. I was eating to look a certain way and that's not the way to live, right.
Speaker 6: And so I told my husband. I was like, let's do a thirty day began challenge because I had tried every drug. Yeah, did it as a family days because I mean, I had taken all the drugs the doctors gave me because I was a guinea pig. You know, you don't know what whatever you want to offer me.
Speaker 2: I'm desperate to feel better.
Speaker 6: Shots in my head, shots in my so I was doing everything. So we did it for thirty days. In the first ten days, the headache I got had every day for a year and seven months disappeared. And so I was like, wait a minute, that's how I look. See that little thing you do with your head, That's.
Speaker 3: What I say. Okay, okay, So I figured.
Speaker 6: I was like, you know what, I'm on the something. And then after the thirty days, I was getting the energy again. My pain was leaving my body, and I was starting to feel like myself. And I was like, you know what, this is gonna be my life. I'm gonna go vegan right here. I am almost six yeard on thirty days. He said, babe, I told him. I said, I'm gonna be begging back. I'm not going back.
Speaker 2: He said, that's so good for you. But tomorrow and need a piece of cheek.
Speaker 1: Yeah know what I'm thinking. I'm like, I feel good. I ain't got no headache about stuff. It don't hurt, and I got plenty of energy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I said, you know what, that's your business, right, But he did it two years after I was veging.
Speaker 2: I was begging for two years, and then he decided on his own.
Speaker 6: He watched a different documentary Game Changes, and that's from the athletes and a man's point of view, and then he did it himself and was vegan for two years, and then he recently went back to eating fish and chicken.
Speaker 3: Yep. Right.
Speaker 1: Did you know social media had the power that it had before you went viral?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I didn't think anything really of social media, you know when you for me as an actress, I was always told you don't get on their honey. Yeah, theyin't gonna take it serious, I think, and I kind of believe that, kind of like over the years.
Speaker 2: Of me believing other things that the industry told me. But I was doing what God told me to do, right.
Speaker 6: I only got on social media because I had a dream and I saw myself on the show.
Speaker 2: And I have always had the gift of dreaming and sining.
Speaker 6: So when I woke up and I asked God to reveal that to me, because I was like, I'm sick.
Speaker 2: I'm not out auditioning, I'm not doing stand up.
Speaker 6: How was I on the show and the words that I heard was started doing videos.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, no, Lord, I'm not about to do these videos. I don't do that.
Speaker 6: I'm an actress, okay, But he was very adamant. God was just like, this is what you need to do. He said, when you were trying to get a show, you were doing stand up. You was reaching fifteen thirty people a night, he said, but if you start doing these videos, you'll.
Speaker 2: Reach thousands and minutes.
Speaker 6: And I was like, Lord, I ain't even got thousands of people to reach in minutes, Like this don't make sense. And then he reminded me of the moment in the bathroom when I had said God, if you heal me, you can have me, so which meant I had to be obedient. So when I first started doing my videos, I was doing the same like jokes and stuff I would do on stage as a comedian, but I'd be sitting on my bed or sitting on my couch.
Speaker 2: It had nothing to do with food.
Speaker 6: Then, over that time, when my daughter came home and I decided to go vegan, the moment I told my husband I'm going vegan. The whisper in my ear was, now tell people what you're eating in your videos. And I was like, oh Lord, I gotta tell these people I'm vegan. I'm from North Carolina. This time I had also shaved off all my hair, so I did the big chop. I was like, Lord, if I get on here and tell people, it ain't no challenge, Like it's my life.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be right.
Speaker 1: This is a lifestyle now, this is not thirty day sixty day challenge.
Speaker 6: Is this is gonna be it. I was like, they're gonna be like that girl to finally lost my mind. I just Hollywood. But I was like, I can't care about it. I got to be obedient and do what God has called me to do.
Speaker 3: So I had Steve Harvey on a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: He said it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you, And he said, the number one killer of dreams is family and friends. When you told your husband about this dream, about this vision you have, it seems that I've watched a lot of your videos that he's been so supported in your dream.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm gonna let him tell you eventually. But I was crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 6: I would have I'd be like, God showed me this because I have, like I talk about it in my first book. Right, I've always had the gift of seeing, whether I'm awake or asleep, I can see things that nobody else sees. I can hear things nobody.
Speaker 3: Else here because he's talking to you, talking to me.
Speaker 6: Right, and so I and he's showing me things. My dreads and my mama would always tell me that. She was like, you know, God gave you the vision, not anybody else. It's up to me to make it manifest so that others will become believers.
Speaker 2: Right, but you speak it so that they know it is real.
Speaker 6: And so you know, there were many times I would tell him and he'd be like, okay, all right. You know he would go along because he loves me, not necessarily because he believe it. But now he'd be like, dang, everything that you was were living in the dream.
Speaker 2: Now do we ever come up.
Speaker 1: And said, baby, you thought of something. Everything we judge it, It goes anyway you thought about it.
Speaker 2: You thought about something, Yes, yes, you listen. I'll let him tell you.
Speaker 3: So what a social media platform.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously it's Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, what's what's your preference?
Speaker 6: I don't really have a preference, but I started on face Facebook, right, that's my original order, right, which is my older order?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I thought Facebook was like for family reunions, class reunion?
Speaker 3: Hey, how you doing that?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: You know we went to school together. But people are all really on Facebook.
Speaker 6: On there, they really only and they are loyal and dedicated to their.
Speaker 2: People, right, and my following years, I call him family.
Speaker 6: Nobody more loyal than my think right, they show up for me, right, and they and I have Instagram as well, I mean I have them all.
Speaker 2: Instagram is huge for me as well.
Speaker 6: But I've never cooked live anywhere else other than Facebook.
Speaker 3: So are you the social media opera?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but people call me that. They just a lot of people like you. Are you the new Oprah for us? And I'd be like, well, god bless it all?
Speaker 1: Right, but there's something But you're different. But you're cooking, but you're giving inspirational talk.
Speaker 3: Yes as you.
Speaker 2: Cook and sometimes I'm not cooking at all, and.
Speaker 3: You feel, yes, was your did your mom? Is that? Did you? Where do you get that from Where did you? Why?
Speaker 1: Where did you? And why did you decide to add that aspect to it?
Speaker 2: That was always a thing that I have inside of me.
Speaker 6: Like my friends, my family, they know like I'm that person that would always pour into other people. It just it's a natural thing for me. But you know, after I went through my season of the darkness, I was doing whatever God called me to do, right and I still am. So when God puts something in my heart, I'd be like, oh, okay, I need to share this with somebody.
Speaker 2: It can't just be for me, right, Yeah?
Speaker 3: You so celebrities obviously everybody.
Speaker 1: CJ, my producer, his wife is here, says and this is the first time she come on the set or the second time. If you brought a family right there in the green, she is like, I gotta meet Tabitha. I got to see Tabitha. I so many people.
Speaker 3: When they's like, well who you got on the podcast, I'm saying I got Tabitha.
Speaker 1: Bron Man telling Tabitha Brown, tell I love her, tell I love her. Everybody seems to love you. There's nothing bad to be. What does that make you feel?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: With so many celebrities, we understand the fan base, but a lot of famous people. No, Tabitha Brown loves Tabitha Brown.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel grateful right to be loved. But the most I think the most important part for.
Speaker 2: Me is that people just love me just for being me.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know, so I feel like family and I think that's what it is for people. People just feel like I'm part of their family too, And that's intentional for me, Like I want people to feel like we're family.
Speaker 1: So that seems so approachable. You seem so down to earth. You don't give the like, don't come talk to me. I'm busy, I'm in a hurry. You give the vibe like, hey, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Come talk? Say hello? It'll do yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm going in. I'm going in for the hood.
Speaker 6: Like hey, like I love that, But I also like, how dare I not have time for the people who help me climb?
Speaker 2: You know, I am.
Speaker 6: In this position, hey, because God said I could have it, but because people support me. And so when I have events, you know, if my team was here, they would tell you I have events. And if there's a meet and greet, you better not put a time on it for me because I'm gonna see every person, Like literally, it will go from a hour to ten hours, right.
Speaker 1: Because you're having a conversation, you're taking a picture and you having a conversation, Hey, how is your day going? You know, my mom loves you and you're like obviously before you had a team in before people got your number. Obviously you have a team, you have a business manager. A lot of the things that would transaction that were happening in your DM. You said, Whole Foods reached out in your.
Speaker 2: DM absolutely on Facebook.
Speaker 1: So do people still reach out and try to and want to do business with you even though you got a team that.
Speaker 2: And you don't always pray before I go into my dms because I need to. I always say, God, let me.
Speaker 6: See who what I'm supposed to see, because there's so many I ever see them all.
Speaker 2: But there's still people who can't get.
Speaker 6: To my team because you know, some some things depending on like you know, when your agency is big.
Speaker 2: They won't entertain certain things.
Speaker 6: But those are the ones that I'll send to my other team that'll be like, I want to do this for you know, it ain't about the money, It's about the people.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So but you also have to be careful because for every good deal that could potentially come along, there's a scam and the one thing that you don't want the ding on Tabitha Brown's name. You work so hard for this reputation and this Christine, and you like to keep it in tap. So what's the process of going through it? Says Okay, is it your husband? Is it your team that you get down to it and says okay, I think this might be this is something that we might need to entertain or something like, Nah, I'm gonna stay away from that.
Speaker 2: When you mean like it to come into DM. Yeah, yeah, if it coming to DM, like, I'll send it to my team and like you let them better, Yeah, bet this and see if it's real.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But then also I don't say yes to nothing without prayer, right, So I pray about it and I'll say, okay, we can move forward.
Speaker 3: I surely appreciate you praying about this because.
Speaker 6: When I told my husband, he was like, oh, you're doing this.
Speaker 3: But you you've done so much. I mean you have.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the spices because I have a friend of mine and she says, tell Tabitha that I bought fifteen of those of those spices. My mom bought ten. I said, why the hell y'all bought ten? To the safe talk about they sell out?
Speaker 2: Yeah they yeah. In the beginning.
Speaker 6: The first time I dropped Sunshine was my first season. It sold out I think in twenty six minutes online, and so I had no I did it, was gonna do this right, And then we released it again. And then maybe like six months later, it broke the site for McCormick and it was so it sold out in like forty six minutes. Probably have sold out quicker, but the site broke and so when it got back up, it took about forty six minutes. And so then we were like, we gotta put it in stores right online it's just not it's not. Yeah, So now it's available everywhere. Now I have new spices that are now literally rolling out the spring and summer.
Speaker 3: I mean, you named and now you got a hair care product.
Speaker 6: Uh huh, Donna's recipe because it's Donna In case you didn't know it, don she on break Caation right now, break Caation yeah, yeah, Breid Cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so what made you decide to come up with spices? Because you said you want to be an actress you didn't. I didn't hear you say you want to be Martha Stewart or some cooking expert. But now you got spices you cook. How did you transition? How did you weave your way and navigate your way to like, Okay, I'm done with this, so let me come over here.
Speaker 6: So, as I started doing the videos and cooking right, I was like literally letting God order my steps. So as I'm cooking, I'm reading comments people like hell, do you need your own spices? And I'd be like, I guess maybe I do need my own spices, right, But I don't know. And you know, the first year, I'm just cooking and I'm talking, I'm cooking, and then I thought about it. I was like, you know what, I do use a lot of different spices, and I'm really big on being salt free, right because I know, like my family dynamic exactly, especially with people of color as well, and so I was like, if I could do a spice, it would have to be salt free. And so when I first started working organically with McCormick, it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't even really a thought. I was like, oh, well, this is great.
Speaker 6: I can use their stulf because my granted using my mama used them, and I'll just continue to use it. And they were like, you ever thought about doing your own spice? I was like, actually I have, and it was an organic thing. But also because my people wanted it, so I wanted to give them what.
Speaker 3: They asked for, right, So how did the hair product come about?
Speaker 2: So Donna's recipe?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, with Donna, I had did the big child, and so as she was growing out, I had a nice little fro and to begin a little small one. And so I also have stenosis in my neck from a car accident, and so for a period of time I had to lay flat on my back, so my hair started to thin in the back and I was like, oh lord, I need to find something to make my hair strong again and make it grow bad. And so I started trying to find different products, but a lot of products had chemicals in them, and I was like, well, I'm on this new journey of being vegan, and I had had that headache for you know, the year prior. I didn't want to just put anything back on my head, especially you know that's going to seep into my you know.
Speaker 2: My pores.
Speaker 6: Correct, So I started trying to create my own with like essential oils and natural oils, and I just couldn't get it done on my own. And so I was doing that for almost a year, trying to like like I was like a chemist, tap in right right in the house, in the bathroom. And so my business partner's my business partner now, Gina Woods. She came to me and was like, I had this idea Donalds. She have her own hair Caroline. I was like, girl, I've been trying to do that for a year, you know. And so she presented her idea to me and my husband, and I was like, okay, this is kind of you know already what I was doing anyway.
Speaker 2: So that's how it came to be.
Speaker 6: But it was really because I needed a product for myself, and once I figured out the formul I was like, well, I can't keep this to myself.
Speaker 2: I want to share it with the world.
Speaker 1: So what have you learned about entrepreneurship and business because a lot of people now we see a lot of saying okay, I won't instead of taking a fee up front, okay, let me take a percentage of the company.
Speaker 3: Let me get there. So let me get that.
Speaker 1: So what have you learned because I read where you was like, yeah, some people got me in the beginning, they did a number on me.
Speaker 3: They got they got your girl.
Speaker 6: Yes, So in the very beginning doing brand deals and partnerships, I didn't know that business. I knew SAG, I knew the union, I knew acting word, and so I had to learn it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad they got me because they won't give me again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you come back, I'm gonna get you and okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So I learned a lot that way.
Speaker 6: But the one thing I learned is that people will show up and try to act like they are.
Speaker 2: They have your best interests, but you gotta be like, you have to use your discernment.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Everybody don't have your best interests, and a lot of people want to pull from you and gain from you, right, and even try to take your your businesses. You know, they'll think that they own you. So I've always making it very clear that the tab is not for sale. You can do business with me, but you.
Speaker 2: Don't own me and you don't own my brand. Right. So, uh, that's the thing.
Speaker 6: And you just got to be very careful with business and with who you do business with. You cannot trust everybody. You cannot trust everybody.
Speaker 3: Okay, you hurt no matter.
Speaker 1: What they say, no matter what they say, no matter what, no matter what color, either, no.
Speaker 6: Matter they can look like you or not. But you cannot trust everybody.
Speaker 1: I get, Okay, you're doing doing spices. I get everything you make your spices, most spices are created. But how do you get in teld you with a lab to try to do a haircare line product that all of a sudden people ain't looking like Kojak, women ain't looking like Kojak because that's the last thing that you want.
Speaker 6: I mean, you won't believe this because it's another job. It's not on their ice working contract manufacturing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I know you born in Jamaicon you you born a jam You had no way you got detailed twelve jobs.
Speaker 2: I did that for like five years. It was for you know, wellness and beauty products.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so I already knew that.
Speaker 3: So you had a background. You had a background, and so you understood.
Speaker 2: I understood it. I understood the lab.
Speaker 6: I understood you know, testing, I understood formulation, I understood shipping and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: You know, Master P is always preaching about product. So what do you what do you love? Because it's like, you gotta make money while you sleep. You cannot meant you got to get your rest and you can't cook twenty four hours a day and you can't make beauty supplies twenty four hours a day. So what is what is Tabatha most proud of? What she's been able toccomplished thus far.
Speaker 6: Oh, I think the thing I'm most proud of is that I've done it all just being me. That's that's my biggest accomplishment, never conforming in the season of my life, right, you know, I think I really that's it, you know. And also family is the most important thing to me, yes, you know, being a wife and being a mother and never sacrificing anything over there, like that's I'm most proud of that.
Speaker 1: Being an next professional athlete, I felt that I had to sacrifice, that I missed a lot of things with my kids that I probably shouldn't have, but I felt that if I didn't, I would always look back and say that if I'd didn't, if i'd have studied, if I'd have worked hard, if I had have trained harder, I'd have missed something.
Speaker 3: It seems to me that You've done.
Speaker 1: A great job of not only being there for your husband and for your kids, but also being able to go full steam ahead and accomplish Was that a big part of what you want? Like, I'm not sacrificing any part of my family to make one extra dollar for me.
Speaker 6: I'm blessed because I have a husband who's my partner, who literally says, babe, go I got it, you know, And I have that. So when I leave, I know that my children are taking care of the now.
Speaker 2: We only have my son in the house.
Speaker 6: You know, my daughter is grown now, but I know I have a safe space for my son and he knows that mommy is working.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to major things, I'm not missing it, right. I don't care how much money it is.
Speaker 6: If my son is about to graduate fifth grade, and I looked at the calendar and it was like what y'all put on my calendar on this day?
Speaker 2: I can't go wow, Like, no, it's this amount of money. I don't care. He gonna graduate one time from fifth grade.
Speaker 6: I can make money any day, right, So it's those major things that are important to me and my husband take Like, I also still am human, so I'll even have parent guilt where I'm like, I miss being able to take him to school every day. We literally was just having this conversation. I miss the normalcy that I used to be able to do. I used to take myself, my son, and my daughter to school every morning, pick them up, make their lunches, cook dinner every day.
Speaker 2: That was my life for a very long time.
Speaker 1: But you understood that that's part of the sacrifice, that those are some of the things that you're gonna have to give up in order to accomplish what god di vision that God gave you and set you out on this journey. You understood that there were some of the things You're gonna have to give up.
Speaker 6: I'm understanding it every day, right. It doesn't mean I enjoyed that feeling every day. Sometime I miss it, But I also look at my life and how blessed I am, and I'm like, oh, okay, I'm still doing a different type of work that my family is reaping the benefit.
Speaker 1: You secured over fifty six major brand deal, Dunk and Donuts, Cybro, Pizza Plan.
Speaker 3: I mean, you just have so much going on.
Speaker 1: So how does Tabitha walk into a room you know your worth you know, they want to come in and give you twenty five percent of what your worth is. So how do you go in the room says now it's worth more than that. I still be Yeah, I'm not gonna be able to do that.
Speaker 6: What I say, I'll be letting them get everything out.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is so, this is nice. Thank y'all for letting me come. But you know where it's gonna be aenough for me? I'm so grateful for.
Speaker 3: Yes, I appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you for thinking of tails. Yeah, but no, yeah it's a tail.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So then they come back and say it's okay. So Ms Brown, how do how do we make this partnership work? Well, we start by this what you say at the beginning, That about how it's gonna go.
Speaker 6: You know, for me, depending on what it is, Sometimes it ain't about the money, right. Sometimes it's just about whatever it is. I'm like, this don't serve me right. There's no amount of money that's gonna make it serve me right. And then when it comes to the money, this is the thing that you always have to realize, there's no amount of money enough for what I deserve. It's only like, I'm priceless, right, Okay, okay, it's what I will accept. Oh right, there's no amount of money you can offer me that. It's what I'm worth.
Speaker 2: I'm worth.
Speaker 6: I am priceless, but there's an amount that i'll accept to partner with you and work with you.
Speaker 2: That's the difference. And so I just have to make a decision do I want that or not.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: I'm priceless, you are priceless, but.
Speaker 3: For a nominal fee, I'll be read in the partner.
Speaker 2: With That's it?
Speaker 3: Like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's your that's that's your mindset going into it. You do you have a do you have a normally when you go into a deal, do you have a dollar amount? Do you have a Have you surprised yourself with some of the things that you've been able to negotiate?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, Yeah, you know, I definitely.
Speaker 6: I remember, like one of the first times of asketball a crazy amount of money just to see what they was gonna say. And then when they said yes, I said, yeah, that's that your husband.
Speaker 2: Are No he would have been like yeah, I was. I was good with that. Shoot, but we're gonna go on and take but you know next time, you know so.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you hosted a vegan competition, so you only eat vegan. You have to sold you how much of your time is sitting around trying to come up with different vegan recipes because, like you say, you cooked so much.
Speaker 3: But you have to understand.
Speaker 1: Because people, most people have eating meat all their life, and to get them to try this and to make them like it, because that's the thing. People eat what they like, that's right, And so how do you like? Okay, you just go in the kitchen, like, babe, I'm gonna go in the kitchen. I'm gonna see what I can come up with. Tonight, I'm gonna see what I can come up with the day. Is that how you do it?
Speaker 2: It just come up it literally throughout the day.
Speaker 6: If I got a taste for something, that's what I'm gonna make, okay, right, And sometimes I'll dream a recipe. One of my most successful recipes is when I dreamt and I woke up the morning, did a video and said, yeah, let me say about the dream I had.
Speaker 2: It was a vegan devil the eggs, and in the dream.
Speaker 3: I was like, but with eggs, but they're real eggs right.
Speaker 2: Now, they're mushrooms.
Speaker 6: I took the white mushrooms because I did this in the dream and I was like, I don't know, but I'm gonna see if it's gonna.
Speaker 3: So you so you can't eat the animal product.
Speaker 2: I do not know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. I want you little she got to go on this journey alone.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't you know.
Speaker 6: When I first did it, I did it to save my life, right and now after six years of being vegan, it becomes a thought where I now connect the animals to the food. Oh okay, yeah, yeah, Now I ain't gonna lie to you though I still miss a crab leg.
Speaker 2: Do you you know how people count? She crab legs?
Speaker 6: In my sleep, I'll be telling people, you know, during the day when I'm awake, I'm vegan, but when I'm sleeping pescatary because I be eating crab legs and dreams.
Speaker 3: What about ice cream?
Speaker 1: You don't, I mean, you don't miss sweets, so like like cake and cookie?
Speaker 2: Do you all that stuff? You still can eat.
Speaker 6: You just don't use real eggs, and you don't use there's vegan butter, there's vegan milk, there's all this stuff. Honey, I can You're gonna have to come to the house and eat okay, but I don't bake. I'm not a baker, and I was already allergic to milk.
Speaker 1: Like most of the yeah, most of the yeah, yeah, I keep If I think I'm gonna eat something that has there it, I'm gonna take.
Speaker 3: Keep black tape.
Speaker 2: Say that again.
Speaker 3: If I think I'm gonna eat something there, I keep lac tape with me.
Speaker 1: Why we do that cause I like iron creams sometimes and I want to eat some cheese if I.
Speaker 3: Wanted some cheese.
Speaker 2: But why do you have to keep the lac tape?
Speaker 1: Because what happens my stummach that it don't agree with my stomach, but know why, but it'll agree with me time.
Speaker 3: I'll tell my stomach shut up, I'm gonna eat this.
Speaker 6: But there are other options for you so that you could still get all the tastes that you're looking for without the bubble.
Speaker 1: Good well, Hollywood, and now we did have some bigger We have some bigger barbecue.
Speaker 3: Then with Hollywood, Hollywood tore it up. He tore it up.
Speaker 6: There are options. I'm to get you on some old ice cream or some cashew ice cream.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, Hollywood. You down, I'm telling you, it's very good.
Speaker 3: I would let Hollywood go be the guinea pig hood.
Speaker 1: You had a restaurant, but you never opened it.
Speaker 2: We closed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was too many problems with the building, the landlord another thing where I say, you can't trust everybody. Or we had to close it down because it was just too much damage that he would not fix.
Speaker 1: Right, So is opening another restaurant? Is that something that you would like to do?
Speaker 6: I think if I do, because that was a partnership that I partner, would kill my name, kill my name.
Speaker 2: I love the restaurant.
Speaker 6: It's still open in Chicago, and so I just partner with him to open that one here in la If I do it again, it has to be my restaurant, right.
Speaker 1: Obviously, But are you Is it going to be like breakfast, It's gonna be lunch, It's gonna be brun Oh.
Speaker 6: H you know, I gotta I have to make a decision to do it first. I think my the big vision that I have would be like a retreat. And on the location of the retreat, like you know in oasis or where you can come, there would be kind of like a bed and breakfast there, but like a homehouse where you can come for breakfast and you can come for dinner type of thing.
Speaker 2: But that's like a vision that I have for later.
Speaker 3: Have a company ever tried to change the way you do content?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, even after when after the success that they've seen you enjoy, they're still willing to try to change what you do how you do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, but people are crazy in the world.
Speaker 3: But they don't but they know what they.
Speaker 6: They love you and then they say, we love exactly what you do.
Speaker 2: Now we want to show you this video.
Speaker 6: And then they play the video and people don't look like me, and they say, if you could do it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Like this, No, there you go. Yeah, yeah, it's not for me.
Speaker 3: Do people when they look at you?
Speaker 1: I think the thing is and sometimes people are all saying is that people take kindness for weakness. You have a smile all the time. You seem to be a very outgoing and very personable person. Do you think people take that as a weakness and try to try to get over on you all the time.
Speaker 6: But I'm very smart, but they will try it and I let them.
Speaker 1: I like the do you get up does she I would ask him, I was asking me to do you get upset?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: But how do you? But but you all.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, it's like, guys, y'all know I'm not gonna be able to do that right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it takes a lot to get me up right.
Speaker 6: Okay, Most times when it comes to like that type of stuff, it's not gonna upset me. It's just a matter of, Oh, I'm so sorry that you didn't see me for me.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I hope you found what you're looking for, right, right, But that's not something that.
Speaker 3: That's not that doesn't get you upset.
Speaker 6: Things upset me is when you mess with my family, you mess with my money and my time, right because I use all those things for my family and for myself.
Speaker 1: So how is it that, I mean, this is a you know, and content creators. What you do, what you do, there's a very large there's a space for it, but it's a limited people that's in that space. How is it? Are you guys friendly? Are you receptive to one another? Is it cutthroat?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: And I love everybody. That's enough room for everybody, right, So I never compared myself to anybody.
Speaker 6: I don't really care what nobody else do. I applaud everybody, right, we all did.
Speaker 1: So since they print money, we shouldn't try to cut, backstab and undermind somebody else to get to keep.
Speaker 6: God asked for me is for me. What He has for you is for you. There's nothing we can do to stop that.
Speaker 1: So what God is saying for for me? Even Hollywood? You heard that, Hollywood, You heard that, Hollywood. So but you know, I'm not gonna break this is not interrupt the normal schedule programming.
Speaker 3: We know vegan. When we hear vegan, we think of someone that doesn't look like you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: When I listened back in the day, and I said this many times. When I used to hear the word vegan, I thought that it was for white women who did yoga, right I did, and nobody was really vegan.
Speaker 2: I heard a vegetarian right right, right, right right.
Speaker 6: And then I thought, well, if that's not the case, it's the people who walk around picketing, you know, and they were in the you know, the blood all over them and doing the type of activist and I didn't want to do that. And so I knew that when I made the decision to become vegan. I wanted to be a source of a different type of life, and so I always wanted to be approachable, and I wanted people to be curious and to want to try it, and so I did it with love and laughter and a little bit of comedy but informative. So I have probably converted I can, of course, can't you eat a number but more people than any you know, traditional activists, more people than you can imagine coming to miss I'm vegan because of you. I eat plant based me and my family eat plant based now because of you. And I'm like that I've never told anybody in the last six years. I've never told not one person you need to go vegan.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: So how do you So when you're home, do you cook vegan for you and cook him bacon?
Speaker 6: I used to when when I first went begin that first year, I was cooking like them two meals and I was like, I can't keep doing that. So then I just figured out how to make all our favorite things vegan and make it good.
Speaker 2: And everybody loved it.
Speaker 6: So all my favorite non vegan things, I turned them into vegan meals.
Speaker 3: So he got to go out.
Speaker 1: So you got to go out and get it if you want a steak, or if you want to burgers or chicken.
Speaker 6: But he don't eat that. He's chicken and fish, but he can order it or.
Speaker 2: You. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking at athletes have turned big and Chris Paul, Kyrie, Irving, Venus, William Lizzo. So I'm trying to figure out, man, how would I be able to keep my musculature and stay you know strong?
Speaker 2: You ever seen a gorilla?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What you think they eat?
Speaker 1: They you grassed, but the four hundred pounds of it. But I think in the beginning had but that's all they eat. I think the thing is if who had never gotten to taste, it's hard to miss what you've never tasted.
Speaker 2: Well, yes and no.
Speaker 6: I think that you have to have a very specific why.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: Eventually you're not gonna do dairy anymore because you're not gonna like how it continues to.
Speaker 2: Make you feel. Okay, if meat was killing me, i'd be crazy to keep eating.
Speaker 3: That is correct, right.
Speaker 2: So a lot of times we are reactive people.
Speaker 6: We do things out of something happening, so we react to it instead of being proactive practice.
Speaker 2: We wait.
Speaker 6: Many times we wait until we get sick before we try to get better, right, instead of just saying, let me be proactively trying to make sure I'm as healthy as I can be. And so when it comes to me my why was life or death? I chose life. And then I also got it in my mind. I was like, I just don't want to eat dead animals anymore. I just don't like the thought of it anymore. Right, I don't even like the smell of it. When it's raw. It turns my stomach. Now, I ain't gonna lie to you how I can smell a cook out of my way and be like, Lord, have mercy, somebody is cooking. But you know, that's the difference in not thinking about what you see. But there's there's definitely a way to incorporate it and form new habits, right, And I always tell people this to don't look at it as though you're taking something away from yourself. Look at it as though, oh, I'm giving myself something new to try.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gaining six months, six years to my life. Maybe that's the way you look at it. That's the way because you said you had had you let me ask you this, had you not had the autoimmune. Had you not had the headache for a year and seven months, had you not had the lethargy, would you do you believe you to go on vegan?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't have a reason right, not necessarily, but I may have eventually only because oh I heard vegans be skinny.
Speaker 2: But then I got vegan and got pig because now their lives, because now I be eating and eating right. And also I don't eat to look a certain way. I used to starve myself.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you a question, could you do you believe you can be a vegan in rural North Carolina because a lot of it, because it gets hard because you in California, you have a lot of options. In carol and in Canada you don't have those same options, especially in rural South Carolina, Georgia or the rural parts of the South.
Speaker 6: I could be a better vegan in rural North Carolina really because.
Speaker 3: You grow your food right.
Speaker 2: Most of our you know, parents and grandparents were mostly vegan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they ate what they grew, They ate.
Speaker 6: What they grew, and meat was a delicacy. They only had it on the weekend. Yes, my daddy was one of twelve My daddy always, he said, you know, until you became BigGAN, I never thought about it.
Speaker 2: But we only ate chicken on Sundays, he said, we only ate pento beans and from the.
Speaker 3: Green during the week. Right, Well, you know we have some We know we have fat back in green though. You know we had a fat back. We had to have a fat bathroom.
Speaker 2: That's all there, y'all had.
Speaker 3: That was special occasion. Though you did, you didn't, You didn't.
Speaker 6: Get it all the time yet absolutely, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, I think this is the part of the show. We probably should invite your husband.
Speaker 2: Bring them on in the room.
Speaker 3: You sit right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no backs right there now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not gonna be You're not gonna be able to leave back.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. They stay behind Every great man is a great woman. But I think behind every great woman that's like your wife, that has to be a great man because you have to be secure enough in yourself because you kind of become the afterthought.
Speaker 3: And you seem to be very very okay with that.
Speaker 1: You guys have been together over twenty five years, been together for twenty years when.
Speaker 3: You started dating her, did you see y'all here?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not? You know what it had, I didn't really have much vision. People always ask me about it, you know, very similar questions, and I always say I wouldn't with her for that, right. I was with tab because of how she made me feel right, right, And yes, I thought she was a little crazy. I was attracted to crazy. Yeah, that's the difference, a right. So I'm with her because of my attraction to that crazy. When she would.
Speaker 3: Tell me.
Speaker 5: One day, I'm gonna be on TV one day, you know whatever, I would get tickled. I would tackle because I can look in her eyes and you really believe this, right, And it made her happy. It made her really really happy, a happiness that I kind of I wish that I could tap into from my own childhood. And I remember, I remember feeling like what I've seen in her eyes, and I'm saying, man, at some point in my life, I lost that while you're a true believer of what you're saying. So whatever it was, I was like, I didn't really try to believe it. I just wanted to keep her happy and say, all right, man, let's go for yo, as long as it's not hurting us.
Speaker 3: Even though you might have not believed in it.
Speaker 1: You never told her that You're like, baby, that sounds like a good idea.
Speaker 3: I think you can do it.
Speaker 5: Yep, I would, I would, And then it would be times where I'd be like, all right, dam wait a minute, hold up. Like the story she told you about moving, I'm always up to thinking. My thinking was what a we currently doing right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Can it hurt us? Can your vision or this dream or this thing that you believe in? Can it hurt us? If we ain't currently doing anything better? And what you're saying can't hurt us, Let's try it. Let's go for it, right right, It's not gonna hurt us. So let's put a plan together. As long as we got a plan and we got each other and ain't nothing else going on, let's go do it. Let's try it.
Speaker 1: You guys started dating, if you could say, the eighth grade is dating in the eighth grade, when you.
Speaker 3: Saw him for the very first time, what did you think?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: I saw him way before eighth grade. We known each other since about what fifth grade? And so I thought it was cute with his little curly hair and stuff. But he was mean, That's what I thought he was. I was like, Oh, he got a little attitude.
Speaker 3: Okay, you like I'm it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But then in eighth grade, you know, he was playing football and I was the football manager.
Speaker 2: You know, I had a job in eighth grade, Damp, and so when we would.
Speaker 6: Do the bus rides, I just would be looking at him like, you know, the eye contacted.
Speaker 2: I was like kind of like him.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Did you know she liked you? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I was kind of popular back the father. That's the man.
Speaker 3: You okay, you a popping man. I was a man.
Speaker 2: He was. He was a mad everybody like chance. Okay. He had a girlfriend though what and I had a little boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, get good.
Speaker 2: We went to we went to a birthday part.
Speaker 6: Uh, y'all came separate, left together, came separate, and we ended up kissing at the birthday.
Speaker 1: Damp, Damp, Come on, Chances. We had a minute that a minute. I'm talking about you.
Speaker 6: You came for somebody and y'all because he didn't want her, no way he did.
Speaker 3: It seemed like you want.
Speaker 2: Thrill was gone in those eighth grade relationships.
Speaker 3: This was the thing the eighth grade dance.
Speaker 2: Listen, but this is the funny thing.
Speaker 6: His girlfriend was happy he broke up because she likes somebody else to My boyfriend was a little hurt.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 5: Look junior high crush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she is.
Speaker 2: You know, he was a man back bed. But you know I broke up with him in eighth grade.
Speaker 3: Hold on, you kids, break up with his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: He's still he's still all these years, he still hold on.
Speaker 5: To this my whole life, almost all the eighth grade.
Speaker 6: But my sister, she older than me, she's six years old, and she said, listen, you about to go to ninth grade to the high school.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of boys over there. You don't want a little boyfriend.
Speaker 6: So I told him, I said, listen, we gotta break up because my sister says, a lot of boys over it high school. I got to see what's out there. And so he hated me for breaking up. That's why, you know in high school he wouldn't even speak to me. But that's how I ended up. I have a stepdaughter because he had a baby in high school.
Speaker 2: So I always tell him to see, I'll let you go and now see if I.
Speaker 3: Had a we had to say together, that's a great way to transition.
Speaker 1: I remember I read an interview where you told your mom you would never marry You would never date a man, let alone marry a man with a child.
Speaker 2: Very true.
Speaker 3: What changed?
Speaker 2: I was fifteen.
Speaker 6: We were at a basketball game at high school and I remember he couldn't stand me, right, and so uh at the game, you my mom would sit on the bleachers and he walked up and he was standing on the corner of the wall with his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: They all day, you did perfect. You want to understand you you got your little kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have to be honest with you.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't even think about her when told when she told me the story, yeah, years later, I remember it right, I wouldn't think of about it.
Speaker 6: And I looked and I just I like rolled my eyes like, m you know whatever. And my mama was like, I don't know why you're doing that. I was like, she was like, I'm gonna tell you what's gonna happen. She said, that little girl gonna get pregnant and they're gonna have a baby. But that's your husband. I said, oh, well, you gonna know me because I would never marry men with kids. That's what I'm supposed to think at fifteen, right, And so Mama was right. She was right on graduation day. Years later, on graduation day, my mama came.
Speaker 2: To me and she said, go get chance.
Speaker 6: I want y'all to have a picture with y'all was Captain gown I'm gonna used to sitt y'all with.
Speaker 2: And I said, would you stop? Why would you say something weird like that?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 5: My mother loves my biggest fan. She loved Chanes. Yeah, she was my biggest fan.
Speaker 2: And she used that picture that.
Speaker 5: I went, yeah, and she was gifted too.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your mom saw something that you didn't see at the time.
Speaker 3: You had like you'd have broke over me. You ain't want me. So yeah, you did your thing.
Speaker 1: And here all these years fifth grade, So your fifth grade you're probably what eleven years old, twelve years old?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all that time. You guys.
Speaker 6: From the same hometown. Yeah, the same small small city. But I would see him in high school. I would always have this like little pain in my stomach when I would see him.
Speaker 2: It was like a feeling.
Speaker 5: I always tell us guilt. He said, it was, Yeah, that's guilt, That's.
Speaker 3: What that is.
Speaker 6: But I went to college and in Miami. He went to college in North Carolina, and so I was there and one night. I woke up in the middle of the night. He was the only person I could think about, and I was like, just thinking about all the years that I would see him, and I had this pain in my stomach. And we had kind of became friends again in our senior year, and I just had this thought of, like, I think I'm in love with him. And so I found his number in the middle of the night. By the time I called him, it was about three thirty four in the morning, and I called his kept calling the room.
Speaker 2: His roommate answered.
Speaker 6: I was like, I need to beat the chance brows and emergency. And so when he got on the phone, I was like, I know this might sound crazy. I was like, but I think I'm in love with you. I was like, So I just told him. I was like, all these years I would see you, and I would have this pain in my stomach. I was like, I'm thinking about all these different things, and if you don't think I'm crazy coming back to Marge's number, he ain't say nothing on the phone, and then I.
Speaker 5: I had to start out a little bit.
Speaker 2: I waited all day.
Speaker 3: A little bit. But yeah, but obviously you had felt the exact same way. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: The crazy thing is I held on to it my entire high school school years, right, And I would see her, I see her in passing, and it was always something about this one particular girl who always she's always been full of joy like and it was a feeling that that I always say that only my mom could give me like it make me feel like I can do anything. That's what I remember about the entire time. Now, I didn't start living a whole different life. I'm in college and went through high school playing sports popular by my own means, right, and nobody could ever make me feel like that besides my mam and this one particular girl. And this was now after a few incidents. But I like to say, you know things that where a lot of people had kind of started looking at me as being problematic. Right, So you got somebody who still got no no marks on their record, got their whole life ahead of them, right, and she still admiring your boy. And I'm like, man, this girl still got that little bit of crazy in her that I just I can't kick. It's crazy for you to call me after four years in the middle of the night and say what you said on the phone to me. That was crazy, but I was attracted to it. I was like, man, this girl still this girl weird. But I can't kick it.
Speaker 3: I'm a caller. So I called it, hey, and so would you call the phone? Damn chaying what did you say?
Speaker 5: First? She had a she had a roommate that didn't speak English. She was in Miami and I called her and I just remember the roommate answer in the phone, and I'm trying to say her name like she and I'm like making like this, this can't be. I got the number wrong, and she I could tell when she grabbed the phone. She got on the phone excited.
Speaker 2: I had been waiting by the year all day on that.
Speaker 3: But you we were gonna call it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So when she got on the phone, I just I kept it. I tried to keep it.
Speaker 3: You try to keep it g D.
Speaker 5: I tried to guy's like, hey, you called me, Yeah, say did you.
Speaker 2: Really call me at four o'clock in the morning. I was like, yep.
Speaker 5: And I ain't want to be jumping out there, so I just let her do the most, you know. But in my head, I'm like I had told my homeboys that in college. I was like I had one friend who I can always.
Speaker 3: You know that one friend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I'm telling him all the reasons why.
Speaker 3: The whole day.
Speaker 5: I'm like, man, this girl call me. I'm about trying to live my life, and now you want to come and get your boy back. I'm bating like I'm somebody. He was, and he waited and he waited.
Speaker 3: My boy tied.
Speaker 5: I love him to this day.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: He said, you scared, fool man, You're gonna call her?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, Nah, I ain't gonna call her. I waited till the end of the day, the end of the day, and I called her, you know, and I knew I was you know what I mean, Like it was just one of those where I was like, I don't want to be this dude. You know that ego thing right right right right?
Speaker 3: I called her.
Speaker 5: I called her, and here we are twenty five years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is marriage everything you thought it would be?
Speaker 3: You too thought it would be.
Speaker 2: It is nothing that we thought it would be.
Speaker 3: Is that good? Or Man?
Speaker 1: It's good because you guys make it sound so perfect. But there has to be some disagreements at some point? What what about the fairy tale? For feel grade and I hertale no, no, no, See, don't.
Speaker 5: Be confused about okay, marriage, See what you know what, I didn't come from a house. I didn't come from a family of marriage, But I ain't have no understanding of what marriage was. Right, her parents were married and you know, church going, you know that, you know, so I didn't have an understanding of what marriage was. So when you asked a question, I'm like, I had this ridiculous idea. This really just male perspective of what marriage is. I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna have this. It's gonna I ain't gotta be out here chasing this because it's at the house. That was really in simple what it was, but as we uh, as we grew together, it became something completely different. It became you know that, that's my best friend. You know, that's that that's that unconditional thing, that's that thing to where even when I'm in I'm not ready to hear what she's saying, I got to revisit it. And now it's a possibility that she could be right. This is the one, this is this is the person, the one person on this earth, even outside of my mom. Right now, my mom, I'm always right, I'm a baby feel but this is the one person that's gonna that has no interest in trying to backdoor me or get one over on me. I gotta consider it. And that's invaluable, you know what I mean. That's you know, so I started to learn what marriage truly is. And also in the aspect of it's it's like a fortune five hundred company, you know what I mean. It's that thing to where you say, look, if you don't take pride in anything else, you should be able to take pride in this companion that is building your legacy, you know, where your kids will be able to a lot of people don't have. Like I'm listening to your interview with my wife, right, and you asked her a question, what's the one thing that you're most proud of?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: I knew she was gonna say that, right. But what I value out of all of this that I didn't have growing up is that my great grandkids will be able to go and find something with the Brown family to name on it. They'll be able to say, my great grandmama, she wrote two books. My great grandma got nominated for this. My great grandmama is the reason I'm able to go to this nice school. My great, I ain't have none of that. Those things right there is what marriage turned out to be, and more important than what I thought marriage was about, was you know those male ego driven dumb things and materialistic things from the South.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the marriage when you got home to meal was on the table, the wife cook, clean, did all those things, and what.
Speaker 3: The man said.
Speaker 1: I don't know how it was in your house, but what the man said when it wasn't. No, Okay, let's think about it. Let's talk this through. He said, we going to church. We went the church, he said, we go in here, we going there. But I'm looking at you. It really is a fifty to fifty yes, And that's what I treasure that the most. I don't have to carry all that weight. So you know how you started with me being able to play the back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have no issue with that. I have no issue with that because.
Speaker 1: Because you but you know a lot of men would a lot of men would feel emasculated if their wife or their significant other because yo, she said, hey, you're the police officer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she said, set that down. Yep.
Speaker 5: I got a baby, and that's because of that little bit of crazy right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So look, so from the very beginning, I'm not lying to you. Ill could literally come in the house and tell my wife I wanted to be an astronaut and the next day she's gonna have a paperwork everything late. It's because support. That's the kind of support that I got from my wife. Right, I'm order to suit forman and say, look, she was that kind of crazy, right, So I got all of that prior to what the world see right now. See, they don't know that portion of the story, like how she was there supporting me and making me feel like an outpa male and king. She didn't treat me like a king for the majority of our relationship, believing in me.
Speaker 1: When I say, even before they knew who Tabitha Brown was. So she was treating you like this before she was Hey, I'm Tabitha Brown all that I just read the.
Speaker 5: Other day, believing in me, and I need people to understand that, believe in when I say, I got us right and even when I didn't believe in myself, finding a way to get me back up into my belief system so that I could take care of my family. So she's been playing second so well that I learned from her how to do it and what I and now I need to be a soldier for her. Right, well, I'm gonna be a soldier for so it's easy for me, and especially when it's coming like this in abundance. This up, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I read Gabrielle Union. She said her and her husband split everything fifty to fifty. And I'm listening to you, guys, and you know, marriage is a is a is a personal person thing. What works in their marriage might not work in this marriage, and it might not work for you, guys. So what are your thoughts to have Let me get you first, what are your thoughts on you guys splitting things fifty I.
Speaker 6: Don't really know about fifty to fifty because it's one hundred one hundred right, right?
Speaker 2: What was mine as his and was his?
Speaker 6: Like we when we started our relationship, we had one bank account one right, we both had a deblocard that was it was anything in it honey, old draft, the old draft, thie. But we you know, that's when we both we both was working at the costs in it together, right, So all our money went together, We balanced it together. We kept a notebook and we would do buildsing the notebook and we would talk.
Speaker 5: About what and I said, our real savings. We only had that account because it was starting to be a part of life where you had That's how you butt. Our real savings was in a Nike shoe box.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's always been our money together, right, And now we have multiple accounts, but we're both still on them all.
Speaker 2: So there's no money that he doesn't know about it. There's no money I don't know about. We just in it together.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Worked so to see tab because this is not traditional. This is a different way of doing things. Normally, the husband goes off the work, the wife stays at home, takes care of the kids. Okay, boom, Now you have a very non traditional and you, like you said, you're like, I'm cool with it, bro, I'm cool with it. How do you because a lot of times it's the home because they always got something say bad. I can't believe you let your your woman take care of you, stopping all crazy. But because you had known her for so long and you guys had been together for so long before, it didn't even bother.
Speaker 3: You did it.
Speaker 5: And that's why that's and you just summed it up. It didn't. There's I only know one other couple like me and my wife that knew each other so long and grew up together. So and I really kind of keep my circle tight, you know, I don't really, Yeah, I don't really. So I haven't encountered too many people in my immediate circle. I've had quite a few people, especially when I moved here to La, to kind of tell me that we weren't gonna make it, and you know, all this because it's just impossible. But I'm a country boy. You ain't seen the city yet. You don't know what kind of women out here, that type of thing. But when I came out here, I came out here with a gold and that goal was for us to make something out of nothing. Right, So I found my I just associated with people who were married, other young people who were married, or other people who were married and like minded. And when it started tourn you know, going left with negative thinking and negative I kind of put a wedge in there to protect what I got in my household.
Speaker 3: Wow, I heard Steve Harvey had like I said. I had him on. He said, blended family is hard.
Speaker 1: How was it you know, your daughter accepting tab and tab understanding because I think the thing is that you hear a lot of kids you not my mom, you not my dad, Like I'm gonna tell your tale of like I'm your mom or your dad.
Speaker 3: You better hunt.
Speaker 1: Hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard, It is definitely hard.
Speaker 6: But I don't think it's because of the children, right. The adults make things hard, right, really absolutely so for me, I've been Leah's stepped since she was two, so she don't know nothing else.
Speaker 2: Her parents were never together, right, so she never saw that. So all she knows this and it's always been tailed.
Speaker 6: I ain't never like I was a stepmam before I was a mother, wow right, I had that role before I was a moment so uh, And I always loved it, you know.
Speaker 2: It was always a fun thing for me, and I still do. I mean she's good and grown now. She about to be twenty eight, so she's grown grown.
Speaker 5: But yeah, and it's hard because of just even two with us moving and separating ourselves. There's a culture in North Carolina how you raise kids, right, absolutely in the South, Yeah, then there's a difference, and we wanted we didn't necessarily bring everything with us on how we wanted to raise our kids. To La, but we bought a lot of it. But there are some indifferences, right, So when those two worlds, you know, it's like they collide. The adults have a problem yet you get what I mean.
Speaker 6: So we also learned as we as we were parenting our children that we had together, we were learning that, oh wait, just because this is how it was for us, it's gonna work for our kids, right.
Speaker 2: And there was a lot of things I want to tell you.
Speaker 1: You can't discipline your kids like you got this going to jail, then you're going to jail.
Speaker 3: If it's simplar that you going to jail.
Speaker 6: Right exactly, Like that ain't working. You can't go out there and get non switch off the palm tree.
Speaker 3: Okay, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was just different.
Speaker 6: And I think also not being in North Carolina, you know, with my stepdaughter she was still living with her mom and we were here. Even that was hard, right, But we made it, of course work the best that we could because we want a lot of us with no money.
Speaker 3: For a chance.
Speaker 1: You're a basketball coach now, mhm, So obviously you like basketball. So who's your team.
Speaker 3: Roll with?
Speaker 5: So always say listen wherever he go, I'm going right, right, So I don't like the I don't like to claim teams right. You know, Lebron, My whole team thing went out literally when Mike retired, and then Lebron came in and he convinced me that he he was the man for the job. And then the new wave of how how players move and everything. Yeah, yeah, I rote Lebron and I'm wherever he at. That's where I'm at, a.
Speaker 1: Guy that's been in the loser an awful lot lately of John Moran. We saw the incidents that he had with the guns waving maronal Ig live. If he was your son, what type of advice would you give him? Because you know, and I tell people this, people don't understand this. When the child becomes the provider, it changed the dynamic in a relationship because you, as a father, you provide. But once he becomes a professional athlete or he becomes famous and then he takes over that role, the roles have not changed. It shouldn't because the dynamic is you're the father, he's the son. But when he starts paying for the house, then the cardinals, and he starts paying for everything that you have or the family has, you kind of treat him differently, even though you.
Speaker 5: Should see I think the mistake is in wherever you start treating him differently is where you've already messed up. You've already messed up. I don't think that it's okay some point the dynamic change with me and my wife and no hesitation. When I feel some kind of way, I'm gonna I'm gonna speak my mind. I'm a man, right, and I value this relationship and our future more so than I do anything that this money can do for us.
Speaker 3: So if he was my son, to.
Speaker 5: Answer your question, I would really have to sit down and have a heart to heart with my son and try to try to find out, man, what is your infatuation with guns? And bring him I just I really don't understand it, right, I need to and I need to get some kind of understanding of why you feel the need to one have one to two show it off to the world, right. Three What is it that you don't understand about this blessing right that.
Speaker 3: Been given to you?
Speaker 5: You you worth? I mean, I don't know, but I imagine he worth about two hundred million dollars, right, And I would try to probably send some light on him of what that really means, so he can so because it is too. I don't sometimes think that we I think we make an assumption about the youth and that they should understand it. I deal with kids, and I'm the over explainer.
Speaker 3: I'm the dude.
Speaker 5: I'm the dude that's like, nah, bump that I'm not doing what y'all a customer are doing and trying to explain and get it done in forty five seconds. Because Instagram and social media has now turned the world into ninety seconds, let's get it all done. Kids are now starting to think that's there, that's the expectation of attentiveness, right. I'm nah nah, I'm the dude that's like, no, we're gonna talk until I feel like you got it right. So he I don't think that he is of understanding and taking the type of pride as a young black man, strong emphasis on black.
Speaker 3: Man that you are.
Speaker 5: You are now responsible for generations. Okay, let's make it personal. If you don't, if it's not that big of a deal for you and the kids out in the world that you don't know personally, let's sit down and I want you to I want you to really think about the life that you won't your grandchild have yo now his child, and then think about how they gonna view you when they go to Like with my wife, I'm telling you, that's the most important thing to me. I love the fact that we can that. At ninety I can envision one of my great grandkids coming to me and saying, yeah, man, Grandma, right there, right there, right there. They can't lie about it, they can't change it. It's right here.
Speaker 3: We got it.
Speaker 5: And I think that's where I will start. It's trying to something there because there's a disconnect in the world of those type of things where it's like we ain't sending the message home. And that's where I would start as a dad, like, look, man, I'm proud of you, but you need to be proud of yourself. You need to you need to own some of this. You need to see what this really is. This is and if he ain't had a history lesson, he need to get one. That's where I will start.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get you out of here on this one. What's your keys to a success in business.
Speaker 2: And in manage oh, honesty.
Speaker 3: In both.
Speaker 6: Right, If I can trust you, we can build amount. Right If there's trust there. If we're honest, we can actually have a conversation. We do all the things that we need in truth.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I would just like to add just promoting and encouraging your partner to be okay with change. I think sometimes we kind of how how you started out is how I always want you to be. So I think you should, you know, encourage change and welcome it and be okay with it with your partner growing and growing in any direction. And I feel threatened by them outgrowing you.
Speaker 2: And that's some business city.
Speaker 3: Could you, guys, because you grow every day.
Speaker 1: Tabitha is different today than she was yesterday, and she'll be different tomorrow than she was today, and likewise for chance, and so you have to be ready to adapt to that change.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, be okay with it, expect it on day one when you get married, when you say I do, start thinking about it like this next week.
Speaker 2: All that night. The honeymoon might be a little different than what you think.
Speaker 3: Guys. You guys seem like you guys, have you guys have so much fun? You seem like you have so much fun together. Do you guys have been together?
Speaker 2: You you can?
Speaker 1: I bet you can finish her center, and she can finish your center because you guys have been together that long that you know what each other's thinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, most times. Yeah, and then sometimes she has five.
Speaker 2: To change. So I did bring you some some things. Okay, So it's a couple of things, and some of this might have to go to some people, okay that you you know, they're gonna say, she didn't give me that. Because this is my cookbook. In case you don't want that, get you.
Speaker 1: Cook book.
Speaker 2: It's a big cooking book. This is my first book, Beating the Soul. So that's all about my life and my journey. And then this is a working journal that accompanies that. Okay, all right, and so then so you can get in the kitchen. You can get in the kitchen with all the seasons and things.
Speaker 6: So these are my you went along with the original Sunshine, big good Garley, like sweet, like smoking, and these are all salt free, so I look out for.
Speaker 2: These are your saltabe lends. And then well, you got a name.
Speaker 1: For your hair No, you know, I just got you know, I'm old school. I mean I had the same haircutsin seventy two.
Speaker 2: You got a name them, you got a name.
Speaker 3: So I got a name, got a name of them.
Speaker 2: So this is Donald's recipe. Okay, they get you together a little, a little thanks, or you can get it because somebody over there. I feel like her energy is already you see you see that you.
Speaker 1: I think she came here to get She knew you was gonna break a goodie bag and she can't.
Speaker 3: Be taking this from me.
Speaker 6: But this is sweet potato pie, so Donald's best sweet. So I need a sweet potato pipe because I don't bake, but Donna does.
Speaker 2: So she says she made the desserts for your hair, but these are off of you. And then you know if you want the baggage, well, this is I collect from Target.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I need the bag to take this stuff home. I don't know if I'm gonna take the hair products home ever. See that's now fifty dollars I'm charging.
Speaker 3: I just got it for free. But if fifty dollars for.
Speaker 2: You, oh that's right, the chance saisons. We gave you something that we probably Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got to call you. We got we got we definitely, we definitely got. We just definitely got a bok get you and uh you see my hoodie, I mean We're gonna get you one. What's what's what size?
Speaker 5: You are?
Speaker 2: Medium?
Speaker 3: Got you, We'll get that. We'll get that to you.
Speaker 2: Yes. Absolutely, this has been great.
Speaker 3: This has been unbelievable. This has been unbelievable. Thank you for taking absolutely ahead.
Speaker 1: Thank you for taking us time out of your day. I understand you're very busy. We've been trying to get this and we finally got it. We found Thank you so much, Thank you getting thank you for having.
Speaker 2: Appreciate absolutely I don't get the handshake. Shall we close it out? How I close out all my videos?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, again, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 6: And until the next time, honey, y'all going a bout y'all business and have the most amazing day.
Speaker 2: But even if you can't have a good one, don't you there go messing up. Nobody else is here. See y'all next time. Love y'all, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: My life grounding all my life, sacrifice, hustle, pay the price, and want to slice. Got to brow the dice that way all my life. I've been grinding all my life, all my life and grinning all.
Speaker 2: My life, sacrifice, hustle, pay the price in one slice. I got to brow the dice.
Speaker 4: WA all my life, I've.
Speaker 5: Been grinding all my life.
Speaker 3: Yeahm mhm