Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our Sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell. Welcome back to the Center in Philadelphia, where the Boston Celtics just dominated the second half to beat the Sixers one eighteen, one ten in the second meeting of the season between the two teams. It's one to one in the four game series, the defending champs won eighteen, the Sixers won ten. This is the Park's casino postgame show. Matt Murphy with You will be rejoined by Tom McGuinness and Effort Nick Nurse's postgame press conference. Jason Tatum led the way with a game high thirty five points, twenty five in the second half tyrees. Maxey had thirty four, with twenty three of those scored in the first half, and the Sixers had a sixty one forty four halftime lead. Their largest lead ballooned to twenty six points. They did this again without Joel Embiid and Paul George, among others. Eric Gordon was added to the injury list, Caleb Martin not quite ready to make his return. Neither was Andre Drummond, kJ Martin and Jared McCain. Boston was without Peyton Pritchard, their sixth man. Sixers use their twenty ninth different starting lineup of the season here in Game forty eight, and when you tally it up, the dominant second half from Boston ended up being a fifty four to twenty closing run. They ended the third quarter on a thirteen to two run that twenty six point lead was ninety sixty four with two point fifty left in the third quarter. And they are the team that takes the most threes in the NBA. They took forty nine today, right on their average. They made twenty one fourteen of those after halftime, eight in the fourth quarter, eight of eleven in the fourth. Tatum was five for eight from three in the game, Derek White was five for nine. Sam Houser was four for seven. Drew Holliday, the former Sixer, had the dagger three that produced this final score of one to eighteen to one. Ten Sixers, in addition to Maxi's thirty four, got twenty one from Gershaan Yabusele played extremely well in the first half of this game, well the third quarter really to be specific, when they built that largest lead. Sixers have two more home games on this home stand. It's the Dallas Mavericks who just traded Luca coming in on Tuesday. In the Miami Heat on Wednesday, Philadelphia shot forty five percent from the field, forty six from three, and seventy five from the free throw line. They missed seven free throws, lost by eight points. Celtics shot fifty percent overall forty two from three. That's twenty one makes on forty nine attempts and they went thirteen for sixteen at the line, which is eighty one percent. As we await Nick Nurse, let's chat with Tom McGinnis and Tom there's there's obviously no moral victories. I mean, I can give the injury list and how well the first half went, but it was a tale of two halves. I know you you called all the Tatum baskets in the second half, but what was it that that really allowed him and the second to get going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could just tell, like even though they you could just see the swagger they have, like here's coach.
Speaker 4: Whether we could continue to get shots and score the ball. The offense dried up. We played in transition a little bit, kind of got forced into probably playing way more zone than we wanted to with tyres and foul early foul trouble and they you know, we we they they hit you know what, eight threes in the fourth or something like that, and a lot of those they were missing. But I think again we weren't quite getting out to contest. You know, there was there was just too many you know, point blank wide open ones and a lot of good shooters out there, but just just again, just a little bit, you know that story where that that we were playing in transition a little too much defensively after not scoring the ball. Yeah, gre such a groove, Yeah, and it kind of like began ball down, Like what do you make of that? Well, again, we were we were in a in a pretty good groove and we were making shots too, right. I think that we we had some really good possessions where a couple of them at the rim didn't go and a couple of three cut one or two threes went in and out, and then that that affects you a little bit. But again I thought we we did move slowly into a couple of things we were trying to run and got ourselves in a little shot clock difficulty. Made a ton of good reads tonight, didn't make them all right, And it's kind of one of those things where you got to kind of keep making them and and you know, just keep keep doing what's working. I thought our guys did a great job of challenging and the paint and then finding cutters or finding kickouts, and a few times we didn't we didn't do it and got ourselves in trouble.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you pulled Tyrese with I think it was about a minute left in the third, and they were able to cut them in and then rode that momentum fourth. So he can't play the entire second half. But did you second guess yourself at all in that decision? After all?
Speaker 4: Well, it was pretty tough, right I think that Again it was it was he picked up a crazy third and a crazy fourth early in the third, So I was concerned the whole time about what we were going to do to protect him. So we we went exclusively to a bunch of z owns where he would be not be able to get isoed inside or or or anything like that. And that really that really probably changed the game the most. But again I wanted to We had a defensive possession with about fifty eight seconds to go, so I was just trying to buy one, didn't want to cheap fifth and then really be putting a buy in there. And then those guys, you know, Kyle and Reggie come in and that's their kind of stint, and they've been they've been unbelievable, you know, they've been unbelievab and they were unbelievable in the first half, and not not just them, they were Celtics were rolling a little bit and we just couldn't quite get it stopped. From I think, you know, midway through the third till the end of the game, we couldn't quite we couldn't quite come up with any consecutive stops or or things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I know it's harder with the foul trouble he was playing with, but it felt like Boston got into him more defensively and you know, slowed him down a little bit. I guess. You know, in those type of situations, what do you want to see him do to react to that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't I didn't mind. Again, we were we were trying to get their five and a pick and roll, which they were gonna blitz, and we were just going to play out of that, and we were doing awesome, right, I think. I think when we didn't, for whatever reason, get to that we got, that's when we got a little more bogged down.
Speaker 5: They did.
Speaker 4: They did do a good job of being a little bit more holding in physical and not letting him. We were trying to cut him different directions and he couldn't really get going either way because of the physicality, and we didn't make a couple of good pass reads to get him get him going the other direction as well. But again, if you know teams are gonna blitz, you got to make the right reads and play, and I thought we did for the most part. We just didn't quite get to that package probably often enough.
Speaker 2: Ricky had eight assist tonight. Just you know, what did you see out of that?
Speaker 1: And his matchup against porzing is in their decision to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he has been pretty good at being an effective guy to get in the paint and then he's got to make the reads and he's he's almost going in there to try to to try to do that to draw another defender. Again, we were really making some nice cuts, some from on top, some from the corner. We were getting some getting some baskets out of that. So he did he did a decent job there. Yeah, with the kind of the matchup he had, he was he was able to get. He probably couldn't score much over the top of him, but he did that even a couple of times too. Thought he had a pretty good game at the offensive end. YEP, all right, thanks everybody.
Speaker 3: Seventy six ers head coach Nick Nurse. This is the Parks Casino postgame show after an eight point loss to the Celtics one eighteen to one ten. Matt Murphy and Tom McGuinness back with you. Tom, We just started to talk about the second half what went wrong, specifically with Tatum, but also Brown had fifteen in the second half.
Speaker 1: Derek White had fourteen in the second half.
Speaker 2: Well, coach just made a great point about the Maxie foul difficulty, and you know, I think I used the phrase Matt absurd that call that Tatum and Maxie fifty to fifty ball. It's not a fifty to fifty ball until or Tatum cross bodies Maxie. That was the foul they call it. And then Tatum has it, and then Trey Maddick calls a foul on Maxie, and that's what coach is saying, like, you know, I don't know what he's something shy of that that's what put the Sixers in a tailspin. And then oh, by the way, he's garden, you know, like persingus in the middle there. He did a remarkable job and that did that turned the game where now that coach just said they had to protect him with his own and then Boston they whistled the ball around and you know, they played five out and they could shoot, and they just kept firing, and all of a sudden they started hitting and you know, Derek White made a couple of corner three, Jalen Brown, Tatum's playing point forward, he's knocking them in and yeah, like I said, even when they were they're down twenty six, and I think, as a fan, you're sitting here going can this hole? Like can't can the time and you just felt it like no, and you know, look, come on, look at their roster compared to who the Sixers had out there, and they ended up dominating the letter part of the game and won the game.
Speaker 3: Part of the reason I say like no moral victories because you you don't have that many games left and how many times can you be in a game and then lose a game against a team like this when it would have just done so much for their confidence to go up two zero in the in the series, they're now nineteen and twenty nine the Sixers. The Celtics are thirty five and fifteen. Yabuselee had such a great game against his former team, Eric Gordon, who has been playing so well for the Sixers was also out tonight. So I ask you, with Council in there, you heard coach speak about him, what did you think about this twenty ninth different starting lineup and how they played as a great.
Speaker 2: You could argue that that was Ricky Conseil's best game as a professional, right, I mean, like numerically he went right at the Boston.
Speaker 3: Solf, particularly the assisted with eight exactly seven rebounds.
Speaker 2: And you know there was a couple of times he went in there at the end where you know he was flailing in mid air like but kind of to be expected. He's got a couple of four a's where you know he kind of doesn't know how it's going to end, and that you know he had that, But again it's por Singis is seven to three.
Speaker 1: Porzingis had five block shots in this gameame.
Speaker 2: I mean like, yeah, you're going up against them, and you know it's yeah. I mean, they're loaded, they're the champs. They showed championship medal in this game, and you know they've been down before. And I guess like, as a Sixers fan, you've seen this before. I could name the games where the Sixers led by twenty one let's go to London. Third quarter up twenty one, same year, playoff up twenty one, and I believe game two they came back and so different players say for Tatum and Brown, but we've seen this before and they did it again. So a great effort by the Sixers, you know, and I guarantee you like Joe Massola and Missoula and their coaches, they're like, look, guys, don't look at the name and this look how hard they play, and look what they've done of late. And this was like it again, and the Sixers just didn't have enough, I mean, the grit, the fight, I mean, Nurse has done an incredible job with all these injuries. Amazing to be in this game, to be leading this game again. In the end, they lost, but you know, a great battle, you just you shake your head and it just yeah, this is a tough one just because of how hard and how well the Sixers played. But they just couldn't not not for forty eight.
Speaker 3: Council did miss both of his free throw attempts in a one zero, five to one hundred game. Maxie, on the other hand, did not miss a free throw eleven for eleven at the line, but the team missed seven overall, it's a sixers team that's missing the top of their rotation in Embiid and George, a bunch of the middle of their rotation against the Celtics team that's fully healthy save for Pritchard. Tonight, Yea and Brown and Tatum are in the All Star Game again. They have a handful of All Star appearances a piece, and they get the win. Now, it's a team that's not loaded in the Mavericks, having having shipped off Luka, Doncic, Kyrie didn't play today and they lost by forty and they're coming here on Tuesday and they're kind of in scramble mode right now. So that's a little bit of an unpredictable game. Guys will be getting extra minutes for the Mavericks that normally don't and they have some injuries too with Lively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I'm looking at the box scores. You're speaking here like Brown, You're like Brown had an okay game. Yeah, okay. He had twenty one points, ten rebounds, and six assists. Derek White had five threes. So yeah, they just stare loaded and they played like.
Speaker 1: It thirty four assists to twenty Celtics big number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dallas, that was a wild one, right. What was the final score with Cleveland over them?
Speaker 1: Like one one oh one, one forty four to one oh one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we talkedet but again it's and shut that. That's a crazy trade, right, Luka Doncic got traded here.
Speaker 3: The next report reported trade Daron Fox to the Spurs, Zach Levine to the Kings, Zach Collins, trade Jones, Kevin Herder and a twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Pick to the Bulls. Wow, reportedly, So a lot going on there. Who's seam stra That's all you need to know, baby.
Speaker 2: Somebody said, like this morning when they were going back for put your leather jacket on and say something. They were saying something the bunch that's crazy. I mean a lot of times it's the salaries, right, and the Bulls have been chopping Levine for a while or so you here, but oftentimes it's you know, Ken the salary and that's those are with Levine.
Speaker 3: The Kings are also getting three first round picks and three second round picks.
Speaker 2: I mean, who would have found, really, Luka Doncic, like.
Speaker 3: After they went to the finals, so right, the Sixers are playing both teams that met in the finals in consecutive games here in Philadelphia, with Dallas up next without their star, one of a handful of best players in the NBA. And we'll do that on on Tuesday, tom thank you. Eight point loss for the Sixers to the Celtics. We'll hear the key plays in highlight form on the other side and go through whatever we missed on the box score. It was a thirty eight sixteen fourth quarter for the Celtics in a one eighteen one ten victory in Philadelphia. You're listening to the Parks Casino postgame show. The Sixers had started this season long six game homestand with a couple of wins. Now it's a couple of losses in a row to the Denver Nuggets and the Boston Celtics. With two more games to go, it will be another back to back that the Sixers face, face the Mavericks on Tuesday here and the Heat on Wednesday. The final score tonight, the Boston Celtics won eighteen, the Philadelphia seventy six Ers won ten. It was a near thirty point comeback for the Celtics to win the game. This is the seventy six Ers Parks Casino post game show Matt Murphy Back with You at the Center. It's a one to one season series between the two rivals. February twentieth, Back here March sixth in Boston no embiid or Paul George, among others. For the Sixers, Maxi gets his fifth straight thirty point game, with thirty four, most of that in the first half, sixteen of those in the first quarter, nine of twenty one, shooting five for eight from three to eleven for eleven at the line. Jason Tatum led all scorers with thirty five points. He also went five for eight from three, but thirteen of twenty overall in forty four minutes and sixteen seconds, the most playing time for any player. Justin Edwards played nearly that for the Sixers and had twelve points and seven rebounds. Twenty five of Tatum's thirty five were after halftime. The trio of it was Porzincis really the only one that scored well in the first half. Out of their starting five, the trio of Tatum, Brown and White well, they combined for fifty four points in the second half. It was a thirty eight sixteen to fourth quarter for Boston. They made twenty one threes out of forty nine. Our stat of the game is that they made fourteen of those threes in the second half and eight in the fourth quarter. They are thirty five and fifteen. The Sixers are nineteen and twenty nine. And the Sixers lead of twenty six was with two fifty six left in the third ninety to sixty four, So it was fifty four to twenty Boston after that. We'll hear the highlights here in just one moment. The leading rebounder in the game was Kelly Oubre Junior, with thirteen rebounds to go with his eighteen points. He only had five points at halftime. We talked about Ricky Conseil's production with his eleven points, it was seven rebounds and a team high eight assist, but the game high assist total was Derek White in combination with Tatum two good in the second half, he had nine assists. White seventeen points. He made five threes, like Maxi and Tatum, five of nine. White was six of eleven overall, fourteen of his seventeen in the third and fourth quarters. Sam Houser made four threes off their bench. Rebounding battle forty six thirty eight Sixers, but the assist thirty four to twenty Boston. All right, So with no MB, no Paul j George, no Eric Gordon, Caleb Martin, kJ Martin, Andre Drummond, and Jared McCain against the Celtics group that was without Peyton Pritchard. The Sixers used their twenty ninth different starting line up here in game forty eight. That's the most in the NBA. Golden State has used twenty eight different starting lineups. Special thanks to Devey Villanueva from our seventy six Ers content team for pulling up all those different starting lineups for the NBA teams who have used the most. There's a cluster of teams that he sorted through for that. For the Sixers, it was Tyrese Maxi. Pretty big lineup here, Maxi with Justin Edwards, Kelly oubre Junior, Rickey Council the fourth and gershon Yabusele big on the wing, Yabusele at six to eight at center without Embiid and Drummond. And here on the Parks Casino postgame Showlets hear how it sounded as called by Tom McGinnis. The Sixers and the Celtics in Philadelphia. The Sixers in white uniforms, the Celtics in black with Neon Green. The bell ringer was former Eagles tight end Brent Seleek. First quarter action the first quarter belonged to Tyrese Maxi. He made a few threes. He would score sixteen in it. Also on the drive through contact for a four then five point lead.
Speaker 2: Six Ers with Maxie driving on Brown. He cuts him off down the lane, left hand, limp up and good. What a play by Maxie. That's what I'm talking about. He's taking on Jalen Brown from the top of the arc, shifts directions in the blue painted lane, goes to the left, and then a rolling left hand hook right off the white painted square and in.
Speaker 3: He added the free throw, fifteen to ten. He had eleven of his sixteen first quarter points in the first five minutes of the game. That and one after a three from Drew Holliday. Maxi did appear to come up limping. Well, he did come up limping, appeared to be slightly injured in the late stages of the first quarter, but he played on in this one and before that it was Christaps Porzingis and the Celtics, they had an eight to zero run that forced US Sixers time out. This was during that after Maxi hit a three over former sixer Jaden Springer, who played six minutes and forty four seconds that I missed.
Speaker 1: Both of his threes.
Speaker 3: Didn't have any stats other than one personal foul Maxi's three over Springer in a twenty one to ten game, but Porzingis had one of the threes along the way. In the Celtics first quarter.
Speaker 2: Run Boston Bowl down by eight, Derek White dribbles across mid court, matched by Ubuskiyabusele, and now Porsingis from deep and that's good. Kyle Lowry was there, but again Porsingis towers over Kyle and he made a deep three a twenty eight footer.
Speaker 1: Chris DAPs.
Speaker 3: Porzingis had fourteen of his eighteen points in the first half. It was twenty one sixteen six Ers after that three. Porzingis made three of seven from beyond the rkey. Also, in addition to scoring fourteen of his eighteen, he had three of his game high five blocked shots in the first two quarters of this game, and the Celtics trailed the Sixers, though because the Sixers got more from Maxi in the end of the first twenty nine to twenty one after one second quarter. The largest lead of the time was fifteen on a Maxi transition three at forty three twenty eight to prompt a time out. A little later on, it's Maxi for two yabousele with a steal and a runway for Ricky Council.
Speaker 2: The fourth Sixers got the rebound going right for left Maxi. He's got Edwards on one side, backs up on Derek White in the lane between everybody and he put it up and in hush stop, hush start hut twisting layup it in all this on the left side of the rim and inverted right hand layup and Maxie with twenty three for singers download the Sixers don't steal it. Ricky Council would pay down the that oh Man hot doctor jaylight damp Rickey Council rares back. He throws it down, oh Man, a fantastic flush, big time slam.
Speaker 3: Don't Maxi had over twenty in the first half. Council in the game with eleven point seven rebounds, eight assist. We mentioned the starting lineup. It's only the fourth start of his NBA career forty nine thirty eight six ers. Maxi's seventeenth twenty point half of the season second in the NBA to Oklahoma City's Shay Gildess Alexander, who has twenty three twenty point half six ers by eleven Kelly Oubray Juniors three stretches. It late second quarter to a thirteen.
Speaker 2: Maxi gouted by Drew Holliday back to Council, ball fake, dribble move oo break catches shoot from the top. It's good, great action. Ricky Council set that up with the head fake. He got the season a position and Oobray knocks it out his first trade.
Speaker 3: Council found Yabu se La for the halftime score of sixty one forty four. Later on, at that point, it was fifty seven to forty four, one of Oubre's two field goals in the first half. He ends the game with eighteen points and thirteen rebounds in the double double effort. Two for three from beyond the arc and the Council assists to Yabu sale made it a sixty one forty four game in favor of the Sixers at halftime. They have had seven straight first halves with sixty plus points third quarter, fourth straight start for the rookie Justin Edwards, who likes that left wing three.
Speaker 2: Ball five to shoot max against true to the left side, Edwards catching shoot three. It's good at three bar to that plus minus hits in from two just Head Edwards trains in a triple.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Justin Edwards twelve points in the game, seven rebounds, four on the offensive glass to lead all players. He was a plus twenty six at half time and the plus minus calling me ends a plus four in this game. It was sixty eight forty nine sixers after the Edwards three. It was a massive game for Gersion Yabusele against his former team and a three and a Joe Mizzula timeout in the third on.
Speaker 2: The runout, Derek White scoop lamb no good loose Paul rebound Edward. Derek White missed a chip shot. Play up, here's yaboo three bawled.
Speaker 1: In the air.
Speaker 2: It's good again, rain maker, it's scraped the banner. It's good how they had the running close out and yabooseles, Hey, Boston, you shouldn't have quit on me.
Speaker 1: Eighty three sixty two.
Speaker 3: Yabusele with twenty one in the game, eight of thirteen, shooting two for four from three, three for three at the line, and another poster.
Speaker 1: It was on Derek White.
Speaker 2: Two twenty five to go, yabooselean to the lad he they are shredding the sub Is this the Achilles Hill of Boston? The Sixers with another layup.
Speaker 3: Layup, not the poster, but trust us. It happened ninety four to seventy two after the layup against twenty one for Yabu in the game. But Boston did end the third quarter on a thirteen to two run, and it was part of this larger run that we talk about in the game, the largest lead of the night for the Sixers when it got to twenty six. It was at the two point fifty six mark of this third quarter ninety sixty four, and then heading into the fourth it was ninety four eighty Sixers leading the Celtics. Jason Tatum takeover fourth quarter, three ball for Tatum to make it a single digit deficit.
Speaker 2: Tatum with a rebound. He's got a double double, twenty two points, ten boards. Kicks at the Brown right side. Jalen Brown knocks down Jackson into the lane, kickout Tatum for three, and that's good. He's sent Tatum hating up, had fusted his minute an eight point game.
Speaker 3: We're gonna hear more from Tatum here he had. He had thirty five in the game, eleven assists and seven rebounds. With those thirty five points that were mentioned as a game high ninety nine ninety one sixers inside the arc. Jason Tatum fourth quarter, five point game.
Speaker 2: Tatum brings it across trailing is Brown Brown on the move against Job with Sele cut off, Holiday gets it now Boston back to Tatum. Tatum now with thirty one in the game, driving on Maxi reverse layup, upping good.
Speaker 3: He slithered through three or four sixers one oh five, one hundred. It was Boston leading at that point. They took the lead on a three from Tatum. They extended the lead well, They took it a couple of times on a couple of threes from Tatum, and he extended it to two possessions there with the reverse layup one oh five, one hundred. He shot thirteen of twenty on this thirty five point night. Council cut it to two with a layup at one o eight one oh six and ubre three had it to one a little bit later, one ten, one oh nine, another Tatum jumper, five point lead again one fifteen to one ten, and with less than a minute left in regulation. The dagger three came courtesy of former six Er Drew Holliday.
Speaker 2: Derek White up a high screen by Tatum, he drives it, kicks it to Drew Holiday three pointer. In the year Paul gear Man Boston with the heart of a champion coming back here and taking an eight point lead with fifty one seconds to go.
Speaker 3: And that was the final score, one to eighteen, one ten, fifty four to twenty run after the twenty six point deficit in the late third. The defending champion Celtics are second in the East to Cleveland thirty five and fifteen. The Sixers are nineteen and twenty nine. Eight fourth quarter threes for them in the Celtics, that last one from Drew Holliday, who had nine points, five rebounds and five assists. After not playing in the first game when the Sixers won on Christmas one, eighteen one fourteen, they had embiid in that game. Paul George Eric Gordon has missed both of these Celtics meetings. They had Caleb Martin, who made seven threes, a team he plays so well against. He's been questionable a couple of times on this homestand to return from the hips brain for the Sixers, but he could not go as a game time decision again tonight. We'll be back on Tuesday. Start time for that is seven o'clock again. The final score tonight the Boston Celtics won eighteen. The Philadelphia seventy six Ers won ten. This has been the seventy six Ers post game show presented by Parks Casino. Thanks to our engineer Marty Dickerson, producers Matt Manarik and Austin Jones, and of course Tom McGinnis on the call. Tuesday night against the Luca don Chis Don Chic La Dallas Mavericks seven pm Eastern home start. Our coverage here on the six Ers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at six point fifty Eastern. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying so long from the center. Thanks so much for listening, Have a great start to your week, and take care