Speaker 1: How did Patrick Willis eat his steak?
Speaker 2: He will eat his steak with his hands, fingers.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm I literally tell everyone, I don't want my middle linebacker eating a steak with a working knife.
Speaker 3: You better pick that thing up with his hand. Absolutely, get in there. I'm telling you, guys, you can't teach this.
Speaker 1: The palm of his hand with his plate. Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we're on a mission to find the greatest.
Speaker 3: Game of all time.
Speaker 1: On today's episode, we are covering the infamous two thousand and eight week a game between the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco forty nine Ers with Super Bowl champion Maryland great author, actor creative Guy Burnon Davis, and we get into talking how this game changed the outlook on football, on his life.
Speaker 2: And my young mind. I'm thinking, like this guy doing this guy think he is? I look back, that's the situation I needed that.
Speaker 1: How he became Hollywood actor? How was it acting with Morgan Freeman man I was so nervous being there for Peyton Manning's last game.
Speaker 2: I've never seen anything like it. I've played with some awesome quarterbacks. Yeah, but he was just he was just different.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: And then we get into some of the great coaching rants Stanny Green.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was a good one. They are we thought they were.
Speaker 1: So you gotta stick around to the very end. Let's go Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: October twenty eight, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: The Stick Candlestick, San Francisco, California.
Speaker 3: Can I play with them? Can I win with them? Can I coach with him? Can't do it? This is can I Play with them?
Speaker 4: Games?
Speaker 1: Man? I was in Boston for thirteen years. I'd come out here in the off seasons. My daughter was out here, so this is perfect for you then kind of yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean you got to see a daughter.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, she's here every Monday Tuesday win So like, now that's great, but that's awesome, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Just it's it's it's awesome that you have a Yeah. I didn't know you had a kid either, So that's cool. Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It's been you know, it's a lot, but it's a lot, but it's like a daughter, man, I know, I know. It's so fun though, Yeah, and it's it's honestly The most happy or the most excitement I get is when I see like something my daughter's worked on, whether it's in class, school presentation or on the sport field. And seeing when she's put some work into that and her progression and her real life, her progression through her hard work like that right there gets me fucking toasty.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's start this thing up. Welcome to Games with Names. Today, we are talking week eight of the two thousand and eight season Seahawks versus the forty nine Ers legendary can't Win with Him game with nobody other than Vernon Davis. Welcome to Games the Names, bro. I appreciate thank you for being in the nuthouse. In one sentence, why did you pick this game?
Speaker 3: Because I like the game? Because I love the game? You love the game A specific game, Yeah, this specific game. I love this game. Why. Oh, it's just something, it's exciting.
Speaker 2: It's it's just like you think about this game, it reminds me of a lot of the competitions that I had.
Speaker 3: The competition that I had against the Seahawks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. It was like, man, they were that team that we just couldn't stop yeah, I mean those guys were I mean they had everybody Camp Chancellor, Russell Wilson, me named, they had all the players, man, I mean just like us, we had players too, but those guys were hard to stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a fun this like generation of the forty nine ers is kind of that foundational second jump from what I'm wearing the ninety five Niners, because there was a long span after that where you know, ten years they're bouncing from quarterback to quarterback, and you did that here in this game. But this specific team and what you're a part of I was a fan of as a kid, and like these these grindy type years were a necessity to get to where you guys eventually got. When you guys were you were playing in super Bowls and stuff. Again, so like this is a fun game, and it's a real cool game that I I think you picked because it's probably a transformational game for you mentality wise. After you know, Coach Singletary you know, goes out, calls you out in front of everyone, and like after this year you had like your like springboard your career.
Speaker 3: Was this that turning point in your career talking about just being weak, just the week.
Speaker 1: Ye, the week of that game, this is the this is after this game is when he kicked you out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, man, it was just I don't say I would say that it was a Yeah, I'd say it was a turning point in my career because if you think of a young man coming into this league, I mean you think, you know, you know all the answers, but you don't until you your career start starts, right, because, uh, this game, I mean there's a lot that goes with it. You know, on a university, you're in a space where anything can happen, and the biggest thing you need to do is just work on your mental health because mental mental health is everything. And and for me, I was struggling, struggling mentally, and I needed something to just put me back on track. And I believe the incident with Coach Singletary was the moment where I realized that, Hey, if I'm going to be a leader, it has to start now.
Speaker 1: Wow, is this the greatest game of all time? I don't know, that's a good question, we asked our guests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the greatest game of all time.
Speaker 3: What's life looking like these days? Uh? For me?
Speaker 2: You know, it's just I just focused on the creativity, from producing films to acting music. I recently bought a farm, focused on my horses, riding horse, trying to get better. But man's that's the key. I think that's the key of life. Just doing the things that you love and the things that make you happy.
Speaker 1: Tell us about this farm. What is this farm? We were talking about it before the show is what's this farm?
Speaker 3: Thing? You got going? Yeah? This farm is? Uh, you know, I this farm.
Speaker 2: I credit my brother for just the dreams I had before I bought this farm.
Speaker 3: Like my brother, I take you back.
Speaker 2: My brother wanted to create this space where he wanted animals walking around the house and walking outside. But he didn't have enough acres for that, but he still wanted it.
Speaker 3: And before he.
Speaker 2: Passed away, well after he passed away, I started having dreams and one dream was that I had a farm, and I woke up. I remember waking up that morning getting on Zilo looking for a farm, and I called this. A friend of mine has his company props release and moved for free, and I thought about them. I reached out to her, I said, hey, can you can you can you find me a farm?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: She couldn't find anything. So then a friend of mine called me later, like two weeks after that and say, hey, I got I found this farm. You want to go half on it? I said, no, not really, I'm not really interested right now. I was looking, but I'm good now. But I actually got.
Speaker 3: I called.
Speaker 2: I called Moved for Free and props Move for Free, the company that my friend has. I said, hey, can you show me this farm? And they took me on the farm and I fell in love. I said I wanted pay cash for it, bought it right then, and there got.
Speaker 1: A farm, got a farm, and now you're a farm owner.
Speaker 3: Now I'm a farmer, farmer. Let's go, let's go.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite farm animal?
Speaker 2: My favorite farm animal? I would probably have to go with, uh man. I would like to say the goat or the chickens, but uh or maybe the turtle, but I can't say that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to go with Big Joe. I just bought Big Joe, big horse, big, big talking oh man. He's a Belgian. Belgian. Yeah, he's a Belgian.
Speaker 1: I think I would have to go with the horse too. My daughter loves horses, and you know, we went out to Hawaiian. My agent set us up with this awesome place where you get to ride the horses on the beach, and uh, you really do get a.
Speaker 3: Connection with that animal when you're on it. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You got this big stud thing that you're on because I was on a big ass horse.
Speaker 3: I don't know what is it. I'm a horse guy. I got all this thing.
Speaker 1: I was like, I didn't want to show a no feury thing, but I was sitting there. I just got out of them. I was like, yeah, I feel them. I feel that's a connection. It's a good connection. It's a connection, right man.
Speaker 3: So you you grew up in dumb you grew up in d C. I grew up in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: You went to Dunbar, Josh Cribs my Kent State alone went to That's right?
Speaker 3: Well man, how was that? What was in that water?
Speaker 1: Because a lot of we had a lot of good, really good football players come.
Speaker 3: Out of there. Yeah, how was Josh too? In high school? Kent State? Huh out of Dunbar, Kent State, out of Dumbar.
Speaker 1: I felt like in that area, we had a lot of Dunbar guys that went to Kent State yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Daryl Dowry, Darryl Dowry, Yeah yeah, I played with him as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah man, that's there was a lot of DC cats school.
Speaker 2: I actually took a visit there myself, did you unofficial, but I took a visit to Kent came bro I know, man, I don't. I just it was something about Maryland, you know what I mean? You know, I just wanted to stay close to home, and it's a.
Speaker 3: Way banners.
Speaker 5: Football and academics too.
Speaker 3: Maryland's pretty damn nice. Yeah, it was pretty nice. Now they are now that they're Big ten?
Speaker 1: Yeah, easy, man, what's up with that? How do you feel about that? The whole they're in the Big ten now? That's kind of weird, isn't it. Yeah, it is weird, but I think it's good. I'm an a CC guy, Yeah, but it is. It is kind of weird that they're Big ten now. But hey, look, I appreciate anything that's gonna help the team win. I'm all about it. As well as at a father school.
Speaker 3: They've done that. I mean, the school's beautiful and.
Speaker 1: You're probably going to get better recruits because you're in the Big ten, right.
Speaker 2: The facilities, and you know, just every money there comes down to money, the bottom line, right right.
Speaker 3: What was Cribs like in high school? Cribs was, uh, he's bad. He was very he was quiet. Quiet, Yeah, he say he was a little quiet. He said young. Hebserved a young what's up? Yeah? Young? What's you come on? Joe? He always I remember him always saying, hey, yea so funny man, Yeah, what's up? Yah? Oh man? What year were you? He was there? I was going, he was there. I got there two years after he left.
Speaker 1: But he was a legend there and he was in Cleveland and when we were when Cleveland was right next to Kent, so he would come back to school every once in a while and stuff, and he was like a fucking god out there. He was onside of like buildings and shipped in Cleveland. He was he was the man.
Speaker 3: Man. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, I was following because we you know, I was like the second quarterback after.
Speaker 3: Him when he left.
Speaker 1: And then you know, there was always comparisons. You know, run I was running quarterback and Shosh Cribbs was fucking Josh Cribs doing what he was doing in the league. So you know, I always loved the cribs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cribs, cribs to the crib, cribs to the crib ribs to the crib.
Speaker 1: Faster than what you think. Oh yeah, way faster than you. Was like that in high school. Man, he was like that out in high school.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: Now, you must have been a beast in high school because you were an athletic specimen. And I remember as because you, you know, I was a Niners fan when they drafted you. You know, you had a huge spike in your because of your combine numbers. You would you run four to three, jumped out the roof, you were two fifty five or something.
Speaker 3: You were just a freaking freak.
Speaker 1: And then your first few years, you know, you were kind of feeling it out, and then you became like you became like pretty much a wide receiver like you you would you'd be in but you were so athletic and such a dominant force in the past game. I remember Alex Smith widening you out. You'd be a tight end on an island outside against corners, running go routes, running by people Like were you like this in high school or did you work for this or are you just a specimen. What is your How did you train? What the hell? What's going on? I said, how did you train?
Speaker 3: No? Man, I was I was always able to run.
Speaker 2: That was that was my That was my bread and butter, being able to run fast fast.
Speaker 3: I've always been fast.
Speaker 2: But what happened was when I got to college, I was able to keep my speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my speed never left.
Speaker 2: It was like I got bigger, two hundred and fifty pounds still running the four four four three.
Speaker 3: It was the craziest thing. I mean it even it even amazed me. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I'm like wow, because I figured, you know, you get bigger, Yeah, you loose loose speed. Yeah, but I was able to keep my speed, and it was it was all.
Speaker 3: It was always a great asset. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, I just remember you running by guys and you'd have fifty to sixty yard touchdowns at least once every two weeks. It was fucking gnarly. And you and Cap Hatter, I mean you guys went to the Superowl. Guy was won the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: What do you do? Now? Do you to keep staying in shape? Now? I you know I don't live, I don't lift heavyweight. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't. I can't lift the heavyweight. My shoulders a little, a little banged up. But I work out five days a week. Yeah, no lightweight, you know. Still I sprint every now and then. But I just just maintain good working, just good working habits. Move to the way, yeah, movement, just staying nice and uh nice and loose, stretching and yeah, massages.
Speaker 1: I still get the massages twice a week. See, I gotta get back in it. Oh you don't get massages anymore, you know what? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I know.
Speaker 1: It's so stupid because you go from like a Kobe Beef like cow where you're massaged every two minutes, go work out, you have perfect hydration, you eat like a fucking king, You got the best gas.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like that, everything's dietitioned to what you get, you the best. And then when you retire, like you lose four of those things, and that's a lot, you know what I mean. You don't have the diet the same, You don't get the bodywork, you know, running out, you don't do the stretch.
Speaker 3: So I got to get back on it. Yeah. Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 2: It's tough, especially when you you know, like like us right now, we're not playing ball and so many other things.
Speaker 1: That your bodies, like our bodies aren't are they're not our number one.
Speaker 3: Source of income now. Yeah, yeah, you're right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So it's not my When I was playing, everything was predicated towards my recovery my body because that was my money maker and that's what was providing for my family.
Speaker 3: Now like it's not like now I.
Speaker 1: Have fucking meetings I gotta do because I'm doing podcasts.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You got, you got other things that I used to say no to me because I had to get my body work in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I can feel that that that clock, just that alarm goes off in my mind though whenever I'm just whenever I'm sitting back and I know I haven't been to the gym, because I get moments where you know, I'm working, I've been to the gym in four or five days.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the alarm goes off, like, man, I gotta get back in the gym, Gotta get back, gotta get back. Well, let me jump in real quick. I've got a question for you, Vernon before we move on from that combine. It was a pretty kind of viral moment before viral moments were really happening. When you ran that four to three in the combine.
Speaker 7: Can you talk a little bit what it was like in Indianapolis and then what kind of opportunities happened or things happened in between the draft and the combine.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, going from going from well I left Arizona, I was training in Arizona before the combine and Athlete's performance is where it was between that time and going.
Speaker 3: To the draft.
Speaker 2: It was, Man, it was like I just kept hearing that song by eminem you only get one shot, you have missed your chance to you know, opportunities come once in the lifetime.
Speaker 3: That song just kept going off inside my mind.
Speaker 2: Then when I got to the combine, I started listen into that song and I just I knew I was only going to get one shot and if I didn't capitalize on it, that was it. Because being at Maryland, you know, I wasn't Yeah, I was up for the MACKI every week and things of that nature, but they didn't talk about me much. It was always Mercedes Lewis. Mercedes Lewis, he was you know, he was the big shot. And it came to the tight end position, and I knew that I had to go to this combine and I had to outperform everyone. And I did. And in between that time, after I had my performance and getting drafted, oh there was all there was. My agent was coming up to He's like, you got a shot. You got a chance to get drafted the top top ten, top ten, it's always top ten. But I would go to these meetings and I started meeting with these teams, you know, you meet with the teams and things of that nature. And I met with the Jets, and I knew they had the fourth pick they wouldna get. They had the fourth pick in the draft. I said, I'm about to be I'm about to be top four. I'm about to be. I mean, we would sitting we sat there, we watched film and they were talking about how they were going to utilize me at the position.
Speaker 3: I just knew they won't take me. They take Ferguson, not a. I put my head in. You wanted to be in the big apple. You wanted to be in the big Apple. I wanted to be in a big apple.
Speaker 1: You make it here, you can make it anywhere. The Jets, I mean the brickshaw Ferguson played a very He was a really good football player for a very long time. So like they didn't miss miss On, like not getting because he was a corner center of that organization for a while.
Speaker 3: He was good even at UVA. He was very talented.
Speaker 4: You could have Vernon Davis Vernon. You imagine Broadway Vern freaking jets. Verne got a nice ring to it.
Speaker 3: You got Broadway Vern over here here.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: Oh man, but you wouldn't have had those division rivals against the Seattle Seahawks, and you wouldn't. I'm in the same club getting that hit from Cam Chancellor. How about that hit?
Speaker 3: Oh can you still feel it? Oh? You said, I just turned my head. I felt that explosion. Wait leads the boom legion of boom Man that you get hit? Yeah, he hits you. Physical, physical, it's smart. Yeah he was. Like. He reminds me a lot. Patrick Willis.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I mean when I think of Camp Chancellor, I think about Patrick Willis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those guys are just physical, physical, physical.
Speaker 1: What about I remember when we played them in the Super Bowl, and I've only competed against him a few times. But I just remember him always being like a pretty respectable, like gentleman on the field, like he whipped your ass and he'd let you know, but he wouldn't talk about it.
Speaker 3: He's like he was like polite with it. He's like good, good rip, you know what I mean, Like, do you remember that about Camber?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was very polite. He was like it was. He never talked. He was very just like focused, locked in, focused, possessed.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't only imagine how how much force was in between you and him, like because I remember hating him and if he felt like a stumped tree, like he didn't move, like I had to go get the force on him, and like you are. I just I would never want to be in between that he might get crushed.
Speaker 3: What about? What about? How about Patrick Willis? Patrick was?
Speaker 2: He was He's one of those type of guys. He talked if he needed to, but he was kind of like one of those guys. He was always locked in. He was on a mission. He was always want one. One thing I knew for sure is that when it came to game day and it's time to play, Patrick will Willis was one of those guys that was want to bring it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't have to worry about him.
Speaker 1: No, how did Patrick Willis eat his steak?
Speaker 2: He would eat his steak with his hands fingers.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm fucking I think I remember. I remember going into that.
Speaker 1: Hey, you see what I I literally tell everyone, I don't want my middle linebacker eating a fucking steak with a forking knife.
Speaker 3: You better pick that thing up with his hand. Absolutely, get in there. That was not even I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you guys, you can't teach this ship. That's right, baby, that just justified me forever. I'm so excited.
Speaker 7: All right, let's about Patrick will.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the palm of his hand was his plate.
Speaker 4: He didn't even barbecue, He ate a raw No wait, he went over here.
Speaker 1: Now we'll be right back after this quick break. Jamison would like to welcome you aboard this flight to Dublin and to invite you to join their unofficial call to bring pro football to Ireland. Stowaway foam fingers in the overhead compartments, and a bar kart stocked with Jamison's finest whiskey will be making its way down the aisle after takeoff. Because only Jamison would try to bring football to a whole new country. Join the Jamison Huddle at Jamison sports dot com. Let's go back to around October twenty eight, two thousand and eight, this segment where we'd like to talk about pop culture around.
Speaker 3: The game, and the number one movie was.
Speaker 1: High School Musical three Senior year this two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Huh, big year for Efron. Baby, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: Did you watch those high school musicals? Yeah? I had my Badley. Yeah, my sister and my cousin, they used to watch all those musicals.
Speaker 1: Now I know, I gotta Oh my goodness, my kid doesn't like musicals that much. She's starting to get into a little number one song, Womanizer by Britney Spears.
Speaker 3: Do you get you listen to britt I like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to listen to britt Yeah, pretty popular back then.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a lot of her too now because my daughter likes she's seven and like she likes Britney Spears.
Speaker 3: Like Britney Spears now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I you know, her mom used to probably listen to Brittany.
Speaker 3: You know my mom used to my mom, my sister will throw Britney all around her. So it's you know, it's these little kids. They like Brittany.
Speaker 4: Brittany got the staying power.
Speaker 1: She got staying power free, Britney, baby, is she is?
Speaker 3: She She's free? Yeah? Is she free?
Speaker 4: I'm just repping it still.
Speaker 3: I'm still still reping it though she just got married.
Speaker 4: That sounds really only look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, t I coming off back to back number ones. Whatever you like, Live your Life featuring Rihanna.
Speaker 3: That was some.
Speaker 1: This was like, this was my college right here. That was college. I was on a heater, Bro, he was on a heater.
Speaker 4: T I versus t I P was the year before this paper trail was this year. Man, it was he couldn't miss. This is when Rihanna was. She was just she's just coming around. She was still like doing feature.
Speaker 3: Yes she was.
Speaker 1: She was still a nature and she won. She was like, who's this new chick that's like about to blow up?
Speaker 4: She won a billionaire?
Speaker 3: Yet she won.
Speaker 4: She's a billionaire with that fenty the makeup makeup crazy.
Speaker 1: Bro, And that's what that's what the Kardashians. They're in that makeup stuff too, that they're smart.
Speaker 4: I need to start some some makeup lines or something, Bro, I need to get.
Speaker 3: A makeup.
Speaker 1: Madonna and a Rod were dating, or there were rumors sweeping the nation. Remember this when they're throwing in Madonna pictures?
Speaker 3: You know this.
Speaker 1: I don't know why we're bringing this up. This is a you know, this is a co worker of mine at Fox right who I got to talk to the producers on this one.
Speaker 7: It's just so we can have a point that fans were taunting them, so we can ask the question, what was the wildest thing a fan ever said to you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: It was the wildest thing, the wildest, wildest.
Speaker 3: Can I say anything? Can you my wife? Can you asked my wife? Wow? I don't get involved with that kind of stuff. What city I don't get involved with? Was this in San fran fran was hometown? Yeah? That was crazy? Wow?
Speaker 2: I remember that. I vividly remember that. That's something that will never leave my memory.
Speaker 5: Oh is this like the crowd and it's coming out of a crowd.
Speaker 3: Was like a one on one kind of conversation.
Speaker 2: We just we just I was we were going, you know, there was a uh it was training camp and then we have the fans coming to camping.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm coming in, I'm walking down signing autographs. Can you oh my.
Speaker 4: Uh, sir, dude, that's like a that's like a week ten type question, pre pre season question.
Speaker 1: Man, those are the real fans that are going to the real fans are going to those pre seas or the training care.
Speaker 3: You're sitting on those metal bleachers. That was that wasn't right. That wasn't right. Did you listen to t I You can have whatever?
Speaker 9: You That was a good song, man, Man, that was right then.
Speaker 4: That was the one two thousand and was also loving this club Busher and Young Jeezy. The other good one Atlanta was up this year Atlanta. Man, did you like did you did you listen to? Did you listen to music before music game?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah? What was in the I know what?
Speaker 2: You know what, Man, I got to the point where I started listening to like at first and again I would listen to like crunk music. I was listening to LITL John and you know what I mean, and just like man, just all the hardcore, just hype music just getting turned up. And then as I got older, I started listening to jazz.
Speaker 3: And things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah same, yeah, yeah, jazz music, just slow music just to relax my mind, because I found that the more calm I was and relax.
Speaker 3: I was I can go out and just be more. I can go out and be more effective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, I do especially a year fourteen, thirteen and fourteen, it was like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 1: He used to listen to movie music, so like Hans Zimmer nice and like you listen like the Inception or the Inner Seller like soundtrack and like I liked that kind of music because it was like low key, but it allowed me to visualize my game plan. I didn't want lyrics. I wanted to think, but I wanted something to help me think. So that's what I like. I like the calm music too, because you get too hyped up, you know, you want to blow your load. Yeah, the first first first drive, you got this. This ain't a sprint and it's a marathon marathon, you know what I mean. The you know, the calmer you are, the higher, the better you can get through the highs and the lows, you know what I mean? Absolutely saw five, Zach and Mary make a porno Secret Life, so of be What are all everyone's making movies of crazy stories? You watching that Hulu's Patriots? What is it called Aaron?
Speaker 3: Aaron? Is that Hulu? Yeah? I think that's yeah, the drama one you watch that I haven't gotten today.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I want to watch it. Man, I just I put that behind me, you know what I mean. I'm with you.
Speaker 3: You played with the guy. I know, the guy I played against him. But it's just one those things. It's like man to it is a situation. I'm with it.
Speaker 1: But there's been some really funny clips that come out, like all the of these shows, because they have people that are acting as like there's a guy that acting his Gronk in the show. There's a guy that's acting as Belichick in the show. They have some little white dude looking athletic as playing me. Uh, you know, like so they have they have all these guys.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious. I gotta go watch it now, let me go check it out. Then I gotta see this in the clips. You can see the clips on social This is funny.
Speaker 1: But who would play you, guys, those those two thousand late two thousand Super Bowl niners, who would play you in one of those shows?
Speaker 3: Actor? I don't know who would play me, man. They might have More's Chestnut playing me or so. I don't know. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man, can play yourself always a good one. Yeah, that would bear you act. You can play yourself. You haven't aged you know what? Yeah maybe, oh, thank you. I appreciate that. Dude looks youngest. Maybe I could play myself. Talk to us about your acting career, like this is this is really cool. You take a lot of pride in it. You got a movie plan B coming out. Uh, you were talking about your other movie that Please Don't Feed the Please Don't Feed the children. That was at what made it to the film festival?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how was that? He just Uh, it was great, man, it was. It was awesome. We had a lot of good feedback. It was pretty cool getting out of the car and no one knew me from football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just had my pictures from my head shots printed out.
Speaker 3: It's like bernon.
Speaker 2: I mean some of them didn't speak English. From all around the world. Love horror, Yeah, movies.
Speaker 3: It was. It was dope. I thought that was I was like, man, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: That's gotta be amazing on your part because you you've done such a great job in your football career to where you're doing something else and people are recognizing you for that. That's very inspirational for all the other guys in the leagues. That's pretty cool, man. Now, how's the transition from how did that transition go from football to what you're doing now?
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot of correlation between football and when I'm anything in the creative space, whether it's music, acting, dancing, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: It's the preparation. The preparation is the biggest part.
Speaker 2: And I tell this story, and I believe I talk about this in my book, but I tell the story about the things that I did before game day. Yeah, catching getting on the drug machine and you know, just standing in front of that machine and those balls.
Speaker 3: You know how that machine.
Speaker 2: Those balls are coming out fast and I would catch two hundred of those balls after every practice consistently. And what I do now is before I go in front of a camera, and I might get a month, three weeks, but I'm making sure that I'm super prepared before I step in front of the camera, just like game day, right, And that's the preparation that goes into it. You should be able to do anything that I have to tell you to do. You should be able to do it because you're well prepared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your dream role.
Speaker 2: My dream roles to play superhero. Maybe I can be the next door. I can be the next door. My name is store.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, do you want to be a Marvel movie? I would love to be the awesome that'd be awesome. Are you? Are you big comic comic kids? I love comic I've always been in comics. I used to draw my favorite characters. Cartoon with this cartoon character. Who's your favorite character? What character? Just cartoon?
Speaker 1: Marvel, Marvel.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to go with and man, he's a Marvel guy, right, yeah, Man, he's a new character.
Speaker 2: I like, Yeah, I like him. I like I like him. Man, I think I like I'm kind of like one of those guys. I like the new the new characters, you know what I mean. I like those new guys because I mean, like we used to go with some of the older guys, older characters, but the new new characters are like like it, I feel like they're going to be around for for years to come, you know what I mean. We had we had like a lot of the characters like Superman, Batman.
Speaker 1: I like, I was always a DC kid, Oh really, I loved Batman, Bruce Wayne, and I was also a ninja turtle kid. I like turtles.
Speaker 3: Nice. Oh, I love.
Speaker 2: Anything that has to do with like a superhero. I want to be a part of that. I think that would be really cool.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Spider Man was always that'd be dope. Man, How was it acting with Morgan Freeman? That was That's gonna be legendary. That was amazing, man, that was what'd you take from his professional like in the profession? Like when because you guys are working, like you know, you're kind of did you did you feel like a rookie in front of a vet?
Speaker 3: Man? I was so nervous. I mean, like I'm about to work. I'm about to work.
Speaker 2: Like, first of all, I don't I don't even know how it got the role as a SUP as a serial killer, right, I'm like, man, how did I get this role as a serial killer?
Speaker 3: Serial killer?
Speaker 2: That's a tough job, man, because you have to to play a serial killer.
Speaker 3: Especially someone like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, this character from South Africa, he's hard body, body parts, you know, and he's selling it to.
Speaker 3: Corporate America.
Speaker 2: There's guys who want to want to feel like they want to be powerful, right, they go to this guy, this character named Randoku, so I'm like, man, how am I What am I going to do to separate myself and just you know, to show that I did the work. That's what they say, and I can do the work right. The work is what we just talked about being prepared. And there's a lot of different things that go into creating this character. I mean, you have the backstory, uh paraphrasing, emotional attachments that go to these lines, and every line is different. You know, you want to feel the emotion behind, put the motion behind those words. The words really mean nothing without the emotion. So I went I learned the actual language, you know, as players, that's what we do.
Speaker 3: Language Zulu I called. I got on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I found this girl who lived in South Africa and she taught me over what's up?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Morgan didn't know I learned it because he didn't learn anything, but I learned. And the scene that we had do you have an accent? You had an accent and everything had an accent. I had learned the language.
Speaker 3: Everything you weren't work with an accent coach, yep, yep. I had a dialect coach.
Speaker 1: That's tight, that's putting in the work, work and.
Speaker 3: That's football players. That's what we do. We put in the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean that's so I felt like, you know, I had one opportunity to show that I could do this and and that's what I did.
Speaker 3: You know, I put the work in.
Speaker 1: Man just did That's awesome.
Speaker 5: And how was Morgan Freeman just being in the same man, he was awesome.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He I had a scene with him where I had to turn around and walk up to him and I just kind of dropped the knife like this.
Speaker 3: But he looked at me, he said, you know.
Speaker 2: What, everything so just he had tried this, look at the knife and then look at me.
Speaker 3: Then let it go. He said, try that. It was. It was a slight little change. I did it. It was. It was a great choice. Gee pro pro It was.
Speaker 2: A great choice. I mean, my, you know what, no choice is. Every choice you make is going to be good. But there's choices that you that you make and you be like wow. As a director, someone who's in the in the film industry, they can look at it and be like, wow, that was.
Speaker 3: That was a great choice. You know, the choices you get chance to make choices.
Speaker 1: And all those choices are determine one thing truths or lies exactly? Can you believe? Is this happening on? This is this is real? This is fucking real. Nah, I don't believe it. I not ain't it. Yeah, that's fucking awesome. I get I've done a little bit of acting here and there, and I work with the coach and it's a very it's a very very skillful technique, and it's very hard. You know, you got to be able to really open up and the lions. You gotta remember the fucking lines, Lions. You gotta you gotta get to a point where you know the Yeah, it's a lot. What's one of the what's one teammate of years that would be a You're like, yeah, he could act through the years.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to say, uh a j Francis. When I was at the Commanders, he's with uh he's doing wrestling now?
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: He's always he had a big personality. I knew he could be an actor if he wanted to be. Yeah, who else? Maybe he's probably one guy that really stands out Joe Staley.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he could be an actor. Yeah, yeah, he could be an actor. He was he was always a dynamic behind the camera. Wow.
Speaker 1: Now let's go back into the sports world. Two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine Super Bowl champs, Pittsburgh Steelers. Oh that that was a Santonio Holmes catch to tack. Oh, I remember that, James Harrison, we had he man run back and can't stay the lum shout out. NFL MVP was Peyton Manning? You played with Peyton?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How was that? You want a Super Bowl with them? Peyton was awesome?
Speaker 1: What was What was the biggest difference between Peyton and all the other quarterbacks you played with?
Speaker 2: The one thing that stood out with Peyton was that when I was sitting in that meeting for the first time, and I mean he just kind of just took over the took over the room. Normally you have the off you know, see off offensive coordinator, you know, installed the plays, go over everything. But Peyton was the one who stood up like a general. That was that was pretty phenomenal to me. I've never seen anything like it, and I played with some awesome quarterbacks, but he was just he was just different, man.
Speaker 3: He was he was just different.
Speaker 1: Was he going over like was he given coaching points to the line, Like, all right, guys on this okie front, We're gonna slide you guys this way. Hey, receivers, if these two.
Speaker 3: Guys come, you know, I need you to break a hot route. Is he breaking down play? He was? Probably?
Speaker 2: There was probably a correlation between him and hit him and Tom everything Tom did. You probably see the same thing in Peyton. If you look at their careers and who they how they their longevity, everything that they stood for and just their their records, everything that they did from all their accolades, everything, they are identical.
Speaker 1: They're just pro quarter they're pro quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: It's just different. It's different, man. Everybody's different. Man Like you will never see another Michael Jordan. It's gonna be years before we see that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's gonna be years before we see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
Speaker 3: They're just they that's just who they are. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The prep and the mentality and yeah, the killer instinct, the people's skills of leadership. There's a lot that goes into it.
Speaker 3: That's a tough man. They're probably the people I think people might when they look at it, they look at the team and they look at the game, they might they might say, oh, okay, well I'm going to go to the defense.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe you know, Patrick Willis is the toughest guy in the field. Maybe it's Von Miller. They're going to pick those guys, but they don't know. They don't they're not out there, they don't see what's going on. But those quarterbacks, guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, Yeah, those guys, you can talk to them if you want. They're tough. They're just as tough as the guy that guy on defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 1: And it's not just the physical toughness, it's the mental tough mental.
Speaker 3: That inside of here. They know exactly what they're about to do before they even walk out in the field. I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a thing called visualization, and some of the greatest players, like yourself, we know exactly what that is. We see everything that we're doing before it even happens. We manifest that one hundred and fifty one hundred and seventy yard game that we're about to go have manifest You know.
Speaker 1: It's so repetitive and it goes into the prep process for the football player.
Speaker 3: At least for me.
Speaker 1: You do the drill that translates to the team, that team that translates to this, and you do it so many times and you study it on film, by the time you do in the game is deja vu exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the difference between great, being great and being good. The good players they don't know how to manifest, they don't know how to visualize. But the great players they know, they know the essence of visualization.
Speaker 2: That's what they know. They see it before. That's why the game is so slow. Man, you ever had a There's been games you can probably attest to this. We've all been the great players. I'm not calling I don't like to talk about myself, but the game is so slow. It feels like you can run around the whole field and everybody's still standing still.
Speaker 3: Everything, every catch, every play.
Speaker 2: I mean I would have games where I well, I go to the coach, I say, coach, do me the bolly?
Speaker 3: Can I stop me?
Speaker 2: And I really mean it from deep down inside, because the game is so slow. To me, it's like everybody's moving in slow motion. I'm moving so fast. I can catch, I can do the biggest games that I've had one hundred and eighty yards to you know, two touchdowns.
Speaker 3: You know, those games are the games that were really slow to me.
Speaker 1: The zone, the zone. I've felt that a few times. I felt periods of it throughout the game. There's only been maybe two games, and one was in the Super Bowl against the Rams or I was in the zone where everything you did worked.
Speaker 3: And you know that the biggest and every time that you didn't feel it, Yeah, you just didn't your mind in top to the space to let you know that's that's what was going on. It was there, it was there, but you just couldn't. It takes a certain moment or a certain time for you to really like, I don't know what it is, Like you said to me, I've only felt it three two to three times. Yeah, and my whole career. But you've been there for a whole game. You can't get there unless you're in that state. You can't have those type of performances unless you're in that state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's something that's letting you know, it's opening it up your mind to say, this is what's happening right now, Yeah, this is what's happening.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing feeling. It is it is.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like that scene in Caddy Shack where it's raining the guys played his best game. But golf ever, he ain't letting that thing go. There's light and he's gonna get struck. It didn't matter. You're having the it's just going right. He's just going right.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: How about Tom Brady got his He got injured this season opener, that's when he tours. ACL got a rule in place for him. A lot of the quarterback injury or the quarterback rules rough in the passers. Probably because of that injury. D Mayo won Defense or Rookie of the Year. You watching football at all right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit. What do you think you hear? You hear what Mayo said? What did he say?
Speaker 1: He called the team soft?
Speaker 3: That's crazy, yeah, but it was.
Speaker 1: I think he was including himself when he said it, because in that building, they've been preaching for years. You gotta to be a tough team. You gotta run the ball, you gotta stop the rown, you gotta cover kicks. They gave up a boultlot of the yards and run game that game. They couldn't run the ball, and they gave up a punt return for a touchdown. So I think he was trying to put a spark on the team.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, well, see that's one thing I had to say, say, I applod him for that, and then if he's putting himself in that category, it's always we as never you.
Speaker 3: Or them or you know, if it's us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way you change your words is huge, man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
Speaker 2: So if he was, if it was, if his intentions were in that direction, then I would I was, I would have plod him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 3: I played with the music. Good dude.
Speaker 1: I think he's just you know, they've been preaching a lot of shit in there and things are going south south right now. They're banged up everywhere. It's tough to lose. How is it, like you've been on some of those teams early in your career with the Niners, how is how do you how do you as a player, if you're getting your ass bet every week? How do you keep your mindset? Like?
Speaker 3: How do you keep your sense sanity?
Speaker 2: I think it's extremely hard, especially when you're losing and you can go it can be three four years of just losing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, you just get tired. Of it. It's like you're tired of it.
Speaker 2: But that's when you have to understand that everyone feels that way. How can I be a leader and get my message across to these guys in the way that they can step their game up or just come together and just play as one, because that's when that's when things go south, when you're not playing as one.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people also like you got to focus on just improving. Like you're saying, whatever you did last game, say you did something five things five things wrong, let's try to get it to two things wrong, yeah, and then maybe get it to nothing wrong on an e and we all just kind of and then you start getting to get a win, a play, right. I think that's what it's the hardest thing to do ever, is when you're in a rut and you got to get out. But I just always remember, you know, Belichick saying, guys, we just after a big loss or you know, maybe a two game slide, which we had very few, but I remember we always say, we just got to stack today with tomorrow, yeah, and then tomorrow with the next day, you know, and then it'll compound.
Speaker 3: If you're improving now you're right.
Speaker 2: And that's how my coach came to me one damn practice. He said, you can't allow it. You're not allowed to have a bad practice. He said, you can You're not allowed to have a bad practice. I said, what, Coach, I just I mean, I dropped the ball. He's like, look, you said you're not allowed to have a bad practice. I set the bar high, and you, like you said, you gotta compound, you gotta build on it.
Speaker 3: You got to keep stacking.
Speaker 2: And the biggest, the greatest players, what they do is that they take those notes, they write down everything. They write them down, and they keep those notes and they make a list of everything they need to get better, and they focus on it.
Speaker 3: They meditate on those things. And that's what you have to do if you're gonna get better, and if you care anything you'll do you'll do that. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You go to me, you remember going to the meetings, you done, had your notebook open. Then coach is going to good coaches, they they're gonna address that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without a doubt. And I think I think a lot of guys don't know how to get better. They think that working hard is getting better. Yeah, it's working smart. It's finding a coach, Like, what was the coach that said that to you, Jim Hostler.
Speaker 3: Jim Hostler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was offensive coordinated at the time of quarterbacks coach, offense coordinator.
Speaker 3: He's promoted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, like to improve, you need to find out what you need to improve on. Now, whether that's from a teammate, a mentor a coach. Find the things you work hard, need to work on, You work hard at that, and that's how you improve. It's not just some guys just don't know how to work hard because they think if you're gonna go go into the weight room and lift a bunch and wake up early to go run a little extra, maybe that's not what you're trying. That's not what you need to get better. Maybe you need to get in the film room and be able to decipher single high safety from two safeties, you know, and like they're you got to find out what you need to work on, work hard at that, and that's when improvement happens.
Speaker 3: And that's crazy. You know why why that's crazy?
Speaker 2: I say that we're talking about professional athletes, premiere the top high as you can go, and you don't know that. Yeah, a lot of guys don't see That's what I'm saying. That's why there's separation at that level. People think everybody is great. No, everybody's not great. You can separate yourself and that's and the guys who know the difference between getting better and not and not knowing how to be better, those are the ones who have the longevity and make it to the Hall of Fame and receive those accolades.
Speaker 1: Now you go from there was talks that USC could beat some of those Niners teams back in those days, to going to a Super Bowl with San Francisco losing so building that organization to then finally going to Denver and winning a Super Bowl. You felt the transition of everything. What's that feeling like to go from someone that literally praying to God week nine, guys, you're setting up golf trips. You know you guys, it's it's over to playing in the last goddamn game the year.
Speaker 3: Well, it was it was similar. There was some similar Uh.
Speaker 2: That team was very similar to the team that we had when we played in Super Bowl forty seven. Yeah, it was a lot of similarities and the same energy was there. So I already seen it. I knew what it looked like, and I knew what it was because I played on that kind of team before. It was just awesome to be able to be trade bittersweet, but to get traded to that to a team and walk into a team and then come back to that same stadium where I just left and won a super Bowl was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It was surreal to me, but.
Speaker 2: It was I saw it and I felt it was the same energy and that that was the kind of attitude the guys walking. They walk into that facility every single day with the winning attitude. And how you know it's a winning attitude because everybody to win that chip day about to hit everybody from the markets where to Manuel Sanders, we about to win that hip today. Already, guys were excited to go to practice. That's how you know you're on a championship team. When guy's excited to go to practice.
Speaker 1: Man, that's championship talking about practice.
Speaker 2: That sounded like Ivan Iverson. Now, Allen Iverson, I sounded like AI. We're talking about practice.
Speaker 3: Guys were excited to go to practice.
Speaker 2: But I've been on teams with guys coming in the morning, shoulders hunched over, looking like they were about to have the worst day of their life, like they're not excited to be there, be there. And I took that energy with me to that when I went, when I left forty nine ers and I left the Denver Denver Broncos, I took that energy everybody, everybody that saw me. I always had a smile on my face, and I was seemed as if I was ready to go.
Speaker 3: And I was.
Speaker 2: Every day I went to practice, I was ready. I was excited to go to practice. I was excited. Man, it felt so good to just be in practice. I never set out of a training camp fourteen years, never been set out of training camp.
Speaker 3: I never missed a practice.
Speaker 2: Whenever I went, like, I made sure that I was getting those reps because it felt good to run.
Speaker 3: Let's get out there and just run.
Speaker 1: You got y'all cooped up in the building all day with all these damn installs. Walk through this that you're only outside on the field for three hours day exactly.
Speaker 3: We're still a little kids at heart. Man, Run that's right, get on the field. Run that's right.
Speaker 7: I'd love to hear. I know that Super Bowl fifty is paint mantings. Last game you're in the locker room you won. Is there anything can you talk about us? About the locker room after the Super Bowl win?
Speaker 2: After the Super Bowl win, it just went over my head. It was just so much excitement and you know this, that's just man. It's like we worked so hard. This is that moment is what we play for. And to go through so many ups and downs, the ebb and flows of those games. I mean, there's there's games that you expected to win that maybe you didn't win, or you just standing there on the sideline holding your brother's hand and crossing your fingers because you know how important that game is and you have to win it if you're gonna make it to the championship. And just thinking about all that, all the sweat you put into it, and you start to think about when you were in high school in college and I get a chance to play in the biggest game there is and do it over and over and over like you had a chance to do.
Speaker 3: Man, there's no better feeling than that.
Speaker 2: Everything that you get, all the accolades and the opportunities you get after football, you deserve.
Speaker 3: It because you work so hard. Man, You work so hard to be where you are.
Speaker 2: You deserve everything because it's it's you know what I mean, it's guys like to kill spikes, to play for years and never get a chance to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I result was after the game. I was exhausted. It's like it's the first time you can relax in a long time. Like as soon as you sit at your locker, there's no thinking about next week, how your body is feeling, there's no more practice for a while. You sit and you look at all the staff you go give all they're all excited, like all the people that help you get to where you're at, the training staff, the equipment staff, you know, the guys that are doing your freaking laundry, Like everyone's in there and just everyone's just like, we can we can we can relax.
Speaker 3: We can relax. We could take off for a month and not do anything. Yeah. No, but it's like no day is pepperoni on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was like the ultimate, like oh it was just then there's like but that's like almost the best thing in the feeling in the world because when you don't have to think about anything and you can just sit down and just say the job is.
Speaker 3: Done, the job is finished.
Speaker 1: Job, and you could just sit back and you know, you can have a drink tonight because you ain't playing next week.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: In that parade, you.
Speaker 3: Know the snowboard, you can do something. Yeah, yeah, that's that's that's yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Jackie set the stage for the Seattle I was talking about these eight Seahawks, a bit of a regression year for a team that had won the division four straight years, only a couple of years coming off of Super Bowl that when they lost to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Shawn Alexander released before the season. Team went four and twelve. This was the last season of the Mike Holmegren era.
Speaker 1: They're probably they're eating that cap for Shawn Alexander. I bet they probably didn't have any money because he got a big contract.
Speaker 3: Like remember he was on the mad cover. That was man.
Speaker 4: He was him, He was a god man. He big fast, went to the went to Washington, and uh just played one more year.
Speaker 3: This this was his last year in the NFL too.
Speaker 4: An injury plagued season. Hasselbeck heard a tweaked the disc in his back. Then his knee then had a helmet to helmet hit. So he was dealing with with all sorts of things. He was out most of the season. Charlie fry boy, room your boy, baby, Charlie fry Frye, what's up?
Speaker 1: Hass did Charlie Frye went to Acro and he went to my rival and he was, like I was. I played quarterback in college and when I changed positions, Charlie fry took me under his wing and like would throw to me. He was and he was playing for fucking the Seahawks this year.
Speaker 3: Crazy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He would throw to me at Arrivals school, you know, and he was fucking.
Speaker 3: He was awesome. Florida.
Speaker 4: He's at Florida Atlantic Atlantic, the o C and quarterbacks go f a baby, let's go bringing the boom down there.
Speaker 3: I love it. Uh.
Speaker 4: This was a team that also had the likes of Seneca Wallace. What a cool dude.
Speaker 3: He was the same agent.
Speaker 1: Dion, Baby, you know what's up?
Speaker 3: Dirty? It's all you say, what's up dirty?
Speaker 1: You got Josh criz To saying young and Deon Branch we say, what was that was that?
Speaker 3: Dirty? I like mixing it up.
Speaker 4: Maybe this isn't bud, this isn't cheats.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious, man, oh goodness.
Speaker 4: Oh man, Uh but yeah this uh snap that that division win streaking miss the playoffs this year. Then let's talk about these eight nine ers. Let's go seven and nine. This was Mike Nolan singletary leading them. Nolan was fired after week seven. Unfortunately, Mike Martz was was leading that offense as the OC.
Speaker 7: Let me cut you off real quick, because we were talking about this a lot. Mike Nolan wore the suit on the sideline this year. What's your take on the head coach wearing a suit?
Speaker 3: But what are the guys saying in the locker room.
Speaker 2: I don't Yeah, I know that I wouldn't necessarily think that a head coach would have to wear a suit on the sideline. I just don't think it's it's needed because you want to be comfortable out there.
Speaker 3: Calling plays, you're moving around. It's just that it's unnecessary. I'm with you. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 5: I like the shirt and tie under sweater. Mike Dicker, Jim Tressel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fucking sorry.
Speaker 5: We're just talking about all week prepping for this.
Speaker 3: Over here.
Speaker 4: Give me some monarchs and a baggy polo, baby, that's all a coach needs.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 4: Uh, this was still the stick man playing a candlestick.
Speaker 1: Like I never got to play there, and I wanted to. I grew up going to that stick And.
Speaker 3: Was it like playing? It was a shithold. I love. It was like the grass.
Speaker 1: The grass wasn't great. I heard it was. Danny Amondola always said the grass was great. No, I thought the grass was awful.
Speaker 3: Was it? Yeah, the grass was awful.
Speaker 7: Danny is light on his feet. You can see on dancing stirs every Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I know Danny is dancing light on his feet in that Uh that there's But it's nothing like driving into candlestick. That's the one thing. I grew up a Niners fan when they went to Santa Clara. You're not in the city, like when you're going up in the candlestick. The FOG's right there, you're right on the water. You got Hunter's Point right there. I mean, it's just like you're coming into our house. Like I feel like you lost that when you're driving into the freaking the driving lot of Great America Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not the same. It's not the same. It's not the same.
Speaker 1: And the weather was always kind of a thing.
Speaker 3: It's totally different.
Speaker 1: It's like hot, yeah, hot in Santa Clara.
Speaker 3: I'm'll tell you the truth. I'd rather stay in Candlestick. The truth. Just the tradition, man, you take away the tradition with Jerry Rice, Joe, Montana and all those guys, just the history, those Super Bowl wins that they stacked up.
Speaker 2: It all happened from there. That was the foundation, that was their home. So it was as I'm coming in, I'm getting drafted, I'm like, I'm looking around.
Speaker 3: Like, Wow, this is crazy, this is weird. It all happened. Wow, it's amazing. But now I can't do the same. I can't really.
Speaker 2: I don't really have that feeling when I go into when I walk into leave stadium.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 7: How much were the Forignite, the vets, like Montana, Steve Young around the organization when you were there.
Speaker 2: They didn't come around much. I didn't see him much. Yeah, I didn't see him much. I think a lot of times with these organizations, with the older guys, I think sometimes they can feel underappreciated because they're not getting paid.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Most of the time these organizations, they want to give you three to five thousand dollars to come show up and a lot of guys they have a lot of stuff going on, so they rather allocate their time to the kids and their.
Speaker 3: Business, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So it has to make sense, y'a setting on meetings, know whether it's with the commanders or forty nine ers, and you know, they bring in the alumnis and.
Speaker 3: They ask them, they say, hey, guys, what do we need to do differently?
Speaker 2: And the legends they get a chance to it's what they call them down legends. They get a chance to force their opinion. And that's what that's usually the case. If you don't see guys. Now now that I know that, I can look back and I'll be like, Okay, I see why Joe and Jerry wasn't there.
Speaker 3: It didn't makes sense. It didn't make sense for them.
Speaker 5: Probably, Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: What were the what was this early stage year career niners teams like.
Speaker 3: Stressful? A lot of frustration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we talked about when you're not winning and you know, being a young guy, you have to learn how to be a leader and and uh but it was you know, you find some you just you just it's a learning curve for sure. Definitely, definitely a lot of learning. Yeah, but when you but it's good that you go through this when you when you lose, you know how grad it feels when you win. Yeah, And that can be in college or high school whatever. I mean, you don't have to. I mean, you guys had You've had moments. Even though you guys want a lot, you still have moments where you where it didn't work out for you, a lot of them. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you appreciate that it only worked out three times? Yeah, exactly, So you appreciate that, yeah, without a doubt. And that's I would say that Detroit Lions are in an example of that right now with they appreciate their winning because they still remember their losing. You know, they're a tough football team that don't give up. You know. It's just it's it kind of reminds me of that. How is Alex Smith? Tell you something that no one knows about Alex Smith.
Speaker 3: Alex Smith was man. He was just such.
Speaker 2: An amazing human being, very just loving, great teammate, beautiful family, comes from a great family. I think they're from San Diego, I believe. But he knew everything. He knew everything everyone had like it was when I first came in into the league. I didn't know what I had on my brouse. I would just look up. He just telled me right there to tell me. Yeah, it's just yeah, it was you know, it's tough. I mean, you go from college and coming in learning an offense like north Turner's playbook had he had an interesting playbook, man, but the way he called plays, uh, it's just yeah.
Speaker 3: But Alex was great. He was always there for me. He was always there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He seems like he'd be a really good teammate, great teammate, great leader, great teammate.
Speaker 3: And he was tough man. Yeah, he was. Can you imagine going through what he went through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got baptized in that league for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yes, even even when he got it when he was he suffered from a concussion.
Speaker 3: Collins Kapernick steps in.
Speaker 2: Alex has to stand there and watch what he started right, even on the on the sidelines of the Super Bowl, That's that's tough man.
Speaker 3: Handled it right, though, handle he handled like a pro. That's what I'm saying. He's from the outside end.
Speaker 1: Looking from the outside, he looked like he handled it like a pro.
Speaker 3: And look what he did when he left us and went to Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had a really good, really good career. He's the nice guy. Who are the team assholes? Like from this team, like who was the ass like the necessity asss kind of in the asshole that kind of keeps everyone accountable, that works really hard, the richie incognito kind of.
Speaker 3: A typeole everybody kept everybody in lying. Brian Johnson, Uh no, I'm about to say. Sean Hill was one of those guys. Sean Hill he would always you know, he would always get on.
Speaker 2: Guys if he needs to. He's an Maryland guy too, Maryland got Yeah, he was. He was awesome. Isaac Bruce was really quiet. He didn't say much.
Speaker 3: He's probably the old Vet. Then the old Vet.
Speaker 2: He was old Vet to kill spikes with voices, opinions everything.
Speaker 3: Jeff Aubrey coach now Coachet.
Speaker 2: He was one of those guys who would always voice his opinion. I was Obrick Albrick was cool man. I had a great relationship with Albrick. He was he was, he was cool. He was really he was a great like you know, a young guy coming in. He he takes you under his wing and kind I talked to you, we have we have great conversations.
Speaker 3: But he was He's one of the nicest guys on the team.
Speaker 1: Now, could you see that he he had head coaching material in him.
Speaker 2: Never never Why, I don't know, I just didn't. I could never see him as a head coach. Yeah, I mean he looked pretty old when I came in. Yeah, the Mohawk back then, it looked like he was in year twenty five.
Speaker 3: Man, but he's really only thirty six, right, thirty five thirty six. But uh, but I never saw him being a head coach. No, yeah, that's crazy. Now.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite football players. I loved Frank Orr. He was probably just an ultimate professional, wasn't he.
Speaker 3: Come on that long? Oh, come on, don't come on. Frank was great, man. He's to get on me all the time. He's he didn't get it.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't say much to the team only if he had to, but he would get on me all the time.
Speaker 3: Shout.
Speaker 10: Oh, yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: That's my brother, man.
Speaker 2: He's he's like one of the best human beings you could ever would ever meet. Man like he was just he was phenomenal. Frank, Yeah, ultimate teammate.
Speaker 3: I loved.
Speaker 1: I've met him a few times. I asked him to sign a jersey for me once. He's said, he's a fucking he's a bullying ball and he did it for like eighteen years.
Speaker 4: What do you have a sixteen seventeen year career San Francisco, Indie, Miami, Buffalo, New York. I mean he was like thirty five and getting like a thousand yards incredible. Yeah, his sons, sons, I know his son's others right now.
Speaker 2: He could have been Lebron one of the best running backs of all time, legend bro without a doubt.
Speaker 1: We got to talk about the catch three. What's that was like an unbelievable drive. He had like three huge catches on that drive that was eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was That was a game to remember. That was a tough game, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jimmy Graham scoring and us coming back having to put up some points and that drive we had it was it was It was awesome.
Speaker 3: I remember, I remember everybody played that game. They brought it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're talking about a team that believed. That team believed, man, because I look back now and just I just can't believe we pulled that game off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about the twenty eleven Saints game, Divisional.
Speaker 4: Round twenty eleven division run NFC.
Speaker 1: Yeah that Vernon had a middle reed split, the safety score a touchdown with time running out nine seconds left, nine seconds left.
Speaker 3: Very similar.
Speaker 1: They called the catch threes is the catch to the t O CATCHO, and the catch one is Dwight Clark right man, San Francisco legend. That's got to be sick to have a catch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool. You have a catch. We gotta catch, we gotta catch.
Speaker 5: I catch on this team too?
Speaker 3: How was Isaac very quiet? Quiet? Came to work?
Speaker 1: Man, he was very was that because he was in a division rival?
Speaker 3: I don't know. He was just he didn't say much. I never heard him say anything. Yeah, he never even I never heard him say hi, you say so? That's just I love that. Yeah, he did, didn't say much. He just came to work.
Speaker 1: Who is the who is the character on this team?
Speaker 3: Character? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who's the funny guy that was making him scene?
Speaker 3: Right here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm gonna have to go with the guy Thomas Clayton right there?
Speaker 3: Man running back? Why what would he do? That was funny?
Speaker 2: This dude was unbelievable man with the funniest thing he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really want to know?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, this dude goes to the head coach's house and picks up his daughter.
Speaker 3: Oh, for a date? I said, did you go in so?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes, I said, Hey coach. He looked at me, say I said what I said, dude, You mean to tell me you want to take his dog on a date? If you went to the house to pick her up? You know what you just did.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, yeah, if he did it right, he set himself up for a little insurance, he cut.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, what are we doing? Bro? Bro? What are you doing? Bro?
Speaker 2: This is the craziest, funniest guy I ever met in my life.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that move, bro. He wore the same outfit every time.
Speaker 4: Full cartoon character Mude Full cartoon.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Cowboy boots jeans with a chain aroun on the side of his pocket.
Speaker 3: Wo, that's a lot to cut off. Button up. The show is on. Can you imagine this guy? This character in the movie kind of car like a truck.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think he had like a dosh charger hearer something red with a drop top.
Speaker 3: I can't remember, bro.
Speaker 4: I get wait while we're on the where we're talking to these guys. Vernon did uh I was looking at Takeo Spikes. Takio spikes. His neck has its own category in Wikipedia. His neck, his neck, my hamstring. It says it measures twenty one inches around. It's insane.
Speaker 3: Twenty one inch neck, twenty one What a beast? Remember that guy looks like a football player. That guy, he looks like a football player. It looks like a football player. Neck talk.
Speaker 2: If you want to pick somebody out of the crowd, it looks like a football player.
Speaker 3: Come on up here, Takio Spikes. You fit the description.
Speaker 4: What a beast, ma'am? Oh my gosh, all right, it's the game lead up. This was This was Mike Singletary's first game as a head coach. Mike Nolan had just gotten fired after the Giants lost the week before, and this was a backup quarterback showdown JT. O. Sullivan for Seneca Wallace and a rematch of the week two game where the forty nine ers won thirty three thirty and ot uh.
Speaker 3: Seattle had an early bye week this year.
Speaker 4: Week four, the Niners were getting ready to go on There's so this was one in five Seattle first two and five San Francisco two teams need to win.
Speaker 1: Baby, what's the mindset going into the game with a new coaching style? Like, what change? I've never been involved in that. What changes? Is there anything that damn changes? Because you guys have the same plays, probably the same coaching. What goes into a coaching change? How are the players during this thing?
Speaker 3: Well, depends on who the coach is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you either pick your head up or put your head down, depends on who it is. Oh my gosh, it's it's a coaching changes. Like you feel you can feel the energy. It's like it's almost if it's it's like there's a there's a there's a love and respect that you have for the coaches leaving you kind of feel bad on Yeah, it's like, man, you created, you cultivate a relationship with the coach, and now that another coach has to come in, it's like, we don't know what's gonna happen with this coach just stepping in, because if he wasn't.
Speaker 3: A head coach, how can it be a head coach? Now? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: We don't know what to expect that, we don't know what we're gonna get But we do know that if you're a football player and you someone who believes in this team and believes that we can win, you're going to rally behind this coach and you're gonna say, Okay, let's let's let's let's do this.
Speaker 3: Let's do it for this coach. We're gonna we're gonna get him, get him going. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Now, Singletary, first team meeting.
Speaker 3: What's that like? Is he just fucking it? I could?
Speaker 1: I can only imagine his tense. His eyeballs are fucking coming out of his eyes.
Speaker 3: No, he had everyone with respected coach Singletary. He had a lot. It was a lot of respect throughout that locker room for coach. But he's an intense guy.
Speaker 2: He's an intense guy. We we knew. We didn't know exactly what we're going to get out of him, but we knew he was. He was no nonsense. You had the every time you touch the field, you better be jogging, no walking. I mean, love it, love your teammates, selfless, everything, everything that you had to that he wanted out of.
Speaker 3: You had to be that on this team if you were going to.
Speaker 1: Stay now what's your mindset going into this this week of Seattle. Do you remember anything specific? I mean, coach just gets fired. Yeah, as one in five, first game with coach single Terry playing division rival. Also dogsho right now, Like what's going in to get you hyped up? Or like, do you know it's already going to be a bad Sunday going into this game.
Speaker 3: No, I was thinking it was going to be a great Sunday.
Speaker 2: I'm about to play with Sean Hill Maryland, my Maryland guy, and I felt like, you know, especially Seann and I we had a connection because we played on the same we're from the same school, and I know about him. I knew, I knew, I knew who he was. You know, he was a legend at Maryland. But but going into the game, I'm thinking we're going to win the game. Yeah, of course, I didn't think it wasna go to way it did. But took a hold three sixty on me. Yeah, to go three sixty, And a lot of it came from it. It was just frustration with me and not winning, losing the coach. I'm like, man, this this team, this season is it's not going the way we expected to go. We're still losing. I mean, we had to lose the season first year, second year.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jack, Yeah, Just to just highlight this game, a little bit bit of a slow start. Seattle gets up six nothing with two field goals. Then Seneca Wallace leads a long touchdown drive to get them up thirteen to nothing. Uh san Fran attacks on a field goal thirteen to three, which takes us to one of the the ten poll moments of this game, if you will. Forty four seconds left in the half, the Niners are driving to cut it to thirteen to ten. Sullivan throws a pick six, Josh Wilson returns at seventy five yards for a tuddy Vernon chases him down the length of the field, almost makes the tackle he gets.
Speaker 3: In the end.
Speaker 4: So they go up twenty to three at the half. And that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back, if you will, for Mike Singletary talking to Mike Martz on the sideline and they pull him and go with Sean Hill in the second half.
Speaker 3: So halftime, what's the halftime like? Do you remember that? Do you remember this? Like that halftime? Yeah? Yeah, I remember pieces of it.
Speaker 2: Halftime was coach was just he was just looking at us with his eyes like you said, big eyes wide open, just like gosh, we gotta you know, He's like, we gotta.
Speaker 8: Stay in this thing. If we're going to win this, we need to play. We need to play harder. You we gotta do this.
Speaker 3: You know. He's just like, you know, just taking charge. It was good.
Speaker 4: That is a really good singletary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was just trying to win.
Speaker 2: I wanted to step in this thing and improve something to the organization.
Speaker 3: You guys, come.
Speaker 4: Out of halftime, yep, that's Sean Hill in there. Now, Sean Hill's in.
Speaker 1: And take us through the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, because like, this whole thing kind of baffles me, because if you can get on your star for not putting the team first, for the you know, the whole uh penalty, he has to be doing a lot more than that for you to get on him like that. Like, because he just ran ninety six yards and almost chased the guy down, so he's showing you he's not quitting. So take us through this this unsportsman like conduct penalty and this whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was it wasn't. I feel like at the moment, just I'd say I was selfish and that selfless because I was.
Speaker 3: I was young.
Speaker 2: In my young mind, I'm thinking like, what is this guy? What's this guy doing?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: If I'm talking to myself, who's this guy think he is? They brought me here to make plays and help this team win. I'm Vernon Davis. Why are you sending me to the locker room. I can help this team win. I don't need to go to the locker room. Who do you think you are? That's what I'm saying in my mind as a young young guy coming into the league. But now as I look back, that's the situation. Coach did me as solid. He did me a favor. Him being there was a blessing in disguise because I needed that. I needed to have that moment of being benched and going to the locker room.
Speaker 3: I made a bone here, mistake. I got a penalty. I hit a guy. I believe I hit the hit.
Speaker 2: I forgot forget who it was, but I hit him under on his chin strop and Coach benched me. That was just I think Coach knew me. He was He's been, he was there since I got drafted, so he knew how I was. He watched me. He was just tired of my foolishness, you know what I mean, wasting time getting penalized.
Speaker 3: You're young, You're still young in the head. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I go to the locker room. I do exactly what he tell me to do. I go to the locker room, didn't say anything. He come to me, He said, come see me tomorrow, and I go see him after the game. I mean, I didn't I didn't know he was gonna do what he did on on television.
Speaker 3: I was at home laying in the bed with my kids mom watching TV. This pops up and I'm like, wow, Wow, what do you feel that time?
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like he threw me under the bus. At the moment, I'm like, wow, why would he do this? Why would he do that? I was like, this guy is crazy. So I knew right away I was gonna walk into that facility tomorrow and it was gonna be I didn't know what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: Like you didn't know what happened.
Speaker 2: I was furious, but I was also I was furious, but I was also I was definitely afraid of coach Mike Singatary, because I knew he wasn't no pushover.
Speaker 1: Oh so you think when Singaretary, if you got rough with them, you think you were trying to take me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah he was, Oh absolutely, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh man, he stood up in practice one day he said, I'll fight all of y'all until I went you might beat me, but I'm gonna get back up until I I'm.
Speaker 3: Keep on fighting. Such an old school guy, I can get me. But I love that dude. I love that dude, man beast. But we had a heart to heart man and I.
Speaker 2: From that day, from that moment I got it, I knew exactly what he wanted me to do, and I knew what I needed to do for myself. If I wanted to stay on this team and if I wanted to be a leader for my teammates, I had to change my ways.
Speaker 3: I had to change my attitude.
Speaker 2: And thankfully that I had him, I was able to be the player that we saw for fourteen well for the next eleven or twelve eleven to twelve years because of him.
Speaker 3: He did for me. Tough love, tough love, tough love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, sometimes they don't need to be put in our place in some form or fashion. Absolutely, you know everyone's got that story. And you know, Coach Single, you could tell he was doing that of love when he did it. You know, you you're a young guy, a lot of money. You've been the man forever. I mean, that's gotta be so hard for you, that's all you know, you know, So that's probably that's one of that. That's probably the turning point of your career right there. That turned you and made you think about that. And because it sounds like your energy changed from the type of teammate you were in everything by the time you got to Washington, where you enjoyed it, I can only imagine this day and age two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: It wasn't enjoyable at the time when you have a lot of firing is going on, this going on.
Speaker 3: So man, that's that's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's awesome that you get real growth out of mistakes if you learn from them, right, if you learn from them, if you learn from this correct Yeah, you're right, amen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you don't have to answer this, but I'll be a bad person and ask, but what did Coach Singletary say to you in that conversation Monday?
Speaker 3: Morning. Well.
Speaker 2: I don't know if verbadim like exactly what he said, but it was somewhere in the lines like.
Speaker 3: Son, you have to change. You could do better what you did out there. We can't have that on his teams. Huh.
Speaker 8: I know what you can be. You can be great, you could be the best tight end in the NFL. But you gotta change. And from that moment I started crying. Yeah, I shook his hand. I said, okay, coach, I got you. From that point on, I was you know it, Scott.
Speaker 3: I fucking love thank you.
Speaker 1: A one more touchdowns and I think we need a fucking oscar right there. I'm crying right oh baby, you got you got both characters in there.
Speaker 3: You got a tear. That was also good. I can't wait to see playing b That was awesome, so funny.
Speaker 1: What's the relationship with Coach Singletary now?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love He's like a he's like a father figure, brother, He's just all he's all, He's all of that.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 2: I reached out to him and when I was writing this book, I was like, coach, can you I love to have you, you know, do the forward this book. He's like to beat honor He's like to be an honor. I was like, Wow, that's amazing. I appreciate your blessings for that, and uh LinkedIn with the publishing company and you know the rest was his.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's pretty darnk cool, full circle moment.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Full circle Jack, give us the aftermath in the legacy of this game.
Speaker 4: So this one, this one wrapped up. Thirty four thirteen, full back Leonard Weaver had a heck of a second half, broke off some I mean a forty three yarder and a sixty two yarder for a full back. That's crazy. Shout out of Leonard Weaver. Bro Carson Newman Baby. Thirty four thirteen, Seattle wins.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Mike Singletary goes on his legendary press conference rant that we all know and that we just broke down. The Niners finished seven and nine, finished the season five and two, so got some little momentum going into nine. Seahawks finished four and twelve. The home Gren era comes to an end. They bring in Jim morri for a lone season before the Pete Carroll Era starts, and both teams would miss the playoffs. Mike Singletary would be retained as head coach for the next season. Kind of that one ended up.
Speaker 1: Baby, what are the greatest coaching rants of all time? That's gotta be It's gotta Denny Green.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was a good one. We thought they were the Hawk.
Speaker 4: I love his energy.
Speaker 3: Man, alright, p Denny Man? Yea? Who else coaches? Man?
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 5: I'm a man.
Speaker 4: I'm for the Olahoma State one college.
Speaker 3: Bill's had some.
Speaker 4: Good ones in his own right.
Speaker 3: What does he said?
Speaker 1: That's not a rant though, it's like a word for Bill, a legendary.
Speaker 3: Is this is is this is?
Speaker 1: This has got to be one of the best coach trans It's up there.
Speaker 3: You never be up there, I think. So it's got to be. That's pretty funny, and.
Speaker 4: Some good came out of it, which I love because that's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: He's not getting me better than that. There's no way. Then.
Speaker 1: Do you think the Niners are going to get over the hump this year or what? What do you think about the current Niners?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they I think right now, there's a few bumps and bruises. This team has really been. It's really suffered, you know, mostly injuries and things of that nature. But I don't think it really. I don't think it has anything to do with the coaching staff. I think they really they fix the things that they needed to fix since the last Super super Bowl from last year. I believe in them. I think they can do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be a lot harder, you know. I use out for the year.
Speaker 1: We still don't know where Christian by the time this episode is out, Christian could be balling right now, or he still could be exactly somewhere on IR. Yeah, I just feel like I feel like they're losing their mojo because they like to play from ahead. They like to get that lead, you know, get that run game, have the defense play third down, exotic blitzes, exotic games with the lineman with four, and then play the zone in the back that's where they get all their turnovers. So like right now, they're not jumping on leads right now, and so they're playing the game from behind, which they're not comfortable really doing right now. And you know, if Rock Purty uses this time, you know and remembers this time not happening his weapons, if he uses this much like the rant for a learning experience on Hey, You're gonna have to win games when you don't have your guys. Sometimes it can help him in the you know, for the future. That's why I think they're right right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I believe that I strongly do it.
Speaker 2: But but if Pertty is who we who he say he is, and who we believe him to be, believe he is, I think he can Uh, he could be the.
Speaker 3: Answer for this team. Yeah, you think that, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so, as long as he's stay consistent and he do with everything he has to do to get the ball downfield, first down, touchdown.
Speaker 1: He's been turning the ball over a little too much right now. You we gotta gotta get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. You can't do that. You can't. That's a that's a lack of focus. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: If he can get back to to that killer instinct he had coming in.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think.
Speaker 1: He he thinks about how everyone talks about him being so basic, where he tries to be too extraordinary. Yeah, to like prove a point, Hey Bud, just be you, just be you and dice right, you know, But we miss anything from this game or this this generation.
Speaker 3: Pats No nothing, I don't nothing or forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: Geez, we got pats on the brain maybe, Oh, they got to get in football money.
Speaker 7: So you edited your career in Washington. What was it like finishing your career with your hometown team.
Speaker 2: Oh, finishing my career with the Washington Commanders back in my hometown team, back in my hometown was truly amazing for me because I had a chance to play in front of friends and family and spent time with the people that I never really had a chance to spend time with, like my mom, because my grandparents raised me and my six siblings. So it was it was great and that's the reason why I'm still there because of my experience playing with the team and being back there is really I'm really intrigued with the city. I mean, it's an amazing city. Is it evolved, how it evolved is just just pretty cool to see because I grew up there, and you know, having that ten year separation, going to San Francisco and coming back after leaving Denver.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go anywhere else yet. I very appreciative.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how been playing with Jade Daniels?
Speaker 2: Oh, jayde Daniels, watching him in college, everything that he did in college I knew that was going to transfer over to the NFL. I mean, that dude was that dude's I mean, he didn't want to win the Heisman for nothing. And I met him when he was in college. I just I could tell he was just a great kid. Very seemed like he was very focused. He loved playing, he loved the game of football, and he just I mean, he can do it, man, he can do it.
Speaker 3: Can't teach that, can't teach it.
Speaker 2: He's just a He's a special football player.
Speaker 5: And I've got one more selfish question.
Speaker 7: I'm a big Virginia Tech fan, and no, Maryland, you played in Virginia Tech Blacksberger on a Thursday night. Can you just tell me a little bit what it's like playing being on a way team playing a Blackspur on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, playing at Virginia Tech is that's that's a crazy the environment. They love football out there, They love football and they most of the time they have great players. And I believe who was who was quarterback when I was there, Marcus Vick. I believe it's the quarterback when I was Yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: He was. I mean he could play, I mean college, he could play.
Speaker 2: He was fast he could he could pass and was camp chancellor there.
Speaker 3: I think he might have been Josh Morgan, might have been Josh Morgan was there exactly Josh.
Speaker 2: I played against Josh in high school, was at Eastern Senior High School when I was at Dunbar, Dumbbar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they had some talent for sure. But yeah, that's that's a tough environment to play man, love it, Thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 11: Hey, hey, hey, Rob Gronkowski here and I'm with my bro or my dude.
Speaker 1: Jules, and we are super excited to tell you about our new show, Dudes on Dudes.
Speaker 3: We're just regular as well.
Speaker 11: Sometimes we can't read, sometimes we can't speak properly, but.
Speaker 3: That's what dudes do. But Dudes on Dudes, seriously, who named this?
Speaker 11: Anyways, we're spilling all the behind scenes stories, crazy details, and honestly just having a blast talking football.
Speaker 1: Every week, we're discussing our favorite players of all times, from legends to our buddies to current.
Speaker 11: Stars, and the best part, we're finally answering the age old question what kind of dudes are these dudes?
Speaker 1: Is Travis Kelcey a stud or a freak?
Speaker 3: Is Tom Brady a dog or dude's dude? We're gonna find out.
Speaker 1: Every episode drops every Thursday during the NFL season.
Speaker 11: Those are some good questions right there, Julian. We're gonna find out soon. And watch us on YouTube, listen wherever you listen to podcasts, and of course, follow us all over social media.
Speaker 1: So hit that subscribe button, follow us everywhere and join the dude party.
Speaker 3: You don't want to miss this, dudes on dudes, let's go name the game.
Speaker 1: We gotta name this game. These are some names we came up with, or if you want.
Speaker 3: To name the game, you have an idea, you could name it.
Speaker 1: We came up with the cannot play with Them game, the hit the Showers game, the Singletary Ramp game, the Vernon Davis game, the Leonard Weaver game, or do you have something else?
Speaker 3: They cannot play with them game? They cannot play with them?
Speaker 10: I can't play with them. Ah, well, winners. I told Vernon, We'll take the shower. That's damn good as that's a rookie skin. That's rookie skins here right there. Let's score the game presented by Jamison. Is this the greatest game of all time. Let's score it steaks zero to ten decimals.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The stakes of this week seven Week eight, two thousand and eight eight game stakes of this game, new coach.
Speaker 3: Say four, five, four, four point five for okay, I'll go with the pro score.
Speaker 4: I go with the five five even Vernon on the same page four point five and.
Speaker 5: I had a four point one.
Speaker 1: The star power of this game zero to ten decimals, okay, ten, ten, three backup quarterbacks played, you got you got, you got Vernon in there.
Speaker 3: You gotta put some respect on JT. So I'll go with the his YouTube. You don't have to go to I'm saying ten. I'm thinking about all the other guys.
Speaker 4: You gotta get the j T o L he's got YouTube yet, No, not yet, go back.
Speaker 3: Take that ten away, let's go. Let's go six, six.
Speaker 7: Six point five march On worth three point five points that right.
Speaker 3: At least I give.
Speaker 7: A six out of five point one.
Speaker 4: I was going a little low there.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: The game play to this thirty five to fourteen game, zero to ten decimals, okay, zero being terrible, ten being.
Speaker 3: Three point five three five integrity score very integrity type score. Uh this man, this guy.
Speaker 1: He respects the integrity of the art. I love that there's I could feel it. I'm gonna go with a five to one, still pro football.
Speaker 4: I love fall four point zero.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm righting the four point two.
Speaker 1: Now we score the name of the game. They can't play with them game. That's cultural significance, cultural significance. We are talking about this game literally, damn near twenty years later, Week eight game.
Speaker 4: You say that line. Everyone knows what game you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Let's score this name of this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, heck yes, oh yeah, seven, five, seven point five.
Speaker 4: I went with an eight points.
Speaker 3: I did at eight.
Speaker 7: Point one five seven eight seven, eight point seven eight. That puts us okay, It puts US sixty seventh, right below the twenty nineteen Raiders versus Bears in London and right above Week eleven or twenty eleven Week sixteen Patriots versus Bills.
Speaker 3: That feels right. That feels right, nice.
Speaker 4: Games man, that feels like a good spot.
Speaker 3: Heck yeah, wow, Brint, we miss anything o the book We talked about the book movie Farm that's.
Speaker 1: Playing me the Farm playing ball life. Lessons from my Journey to the Super Bowl and beyond.
Speaker 3: Awesome members seventy two hours, come out November first, seventy two hours, Sam, I got Sam Trammel.
Speaker 2: That's a good movie, man, you gotta check it out. It comes out November first.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's got he just worked. It might be one of my better movies, right here, man, Yes, seventy two hours. Let me check it out. And my music is in the movie. And they showed me that's me rapping, that's me singing.
Speaker 2: No way, So I get up to stop the girl from getting from robbing the burger joint. Yeah, And I get up and I go quick whipping on the guy, and that's my song.
Speaker 3: Give me a quick eight bars.
Speaker 4: I saw the trailer on I g this morning. It looks insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just no number one. Everyone go check it out. Thank you, bro, appreciate you coming. Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Burn Davis is fully an actor, what a guy. Fully He did like a full monologue scene right there, voices two mo and forth. His impersonations were great, too spectacular. I thought I was singletary.
Speaker 4: I thought we had a mic on the show.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask him, did he ever mock him? Do it? Like? Second? Did you ever do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Or like behind his back, Like, yeah, I didn't get a chance to ask him, but I read it thing uh earlier that I guess Delaney Walker, who was on this team, Yeah, was saying that. Singletary came in later that week and like did a rap based on like his press conference to the team, and it was just like, what is this what? I didn't get a chance as room.
Speaker 1: I really wish I had, God damn.
Speaker 3: It, Jack Well.
Speaker 1: In honor of today's Mike Singletary legendary rant, we're gonna do a breakdown. Let's break down some of the other coaches rants.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of them, a lot of those press conference guys that you know. One recently in the press called team soft. That's is that a rant?
Speaker 4: It's a notable press It is a notable press conference moment. We're still talking about it. So he did something, it's something, and we kept it the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll keep it football when the press coaches.
Speaker 5: Because there are some great player ones too.
Speaker 3: Oh man, let's get into it.
Speaker 4: We'll run through these, We'll we'll read through the transcripts, which just make them even Funnykendy to see them on paper, and then.
Speaker 5: We'll Reac gree Mullet, Mike Gundy.
Speaker 4: Mike Gundy Oklahoma State head coach, still the head coach. This is back in seven.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm not I'm not a kid.
Speaker 3: Write something by me or some coaches.
Speaker 4: And this was after this is the craziest thing is this was following a win like this was after a win. This was two days after a winter crazy. You know, on a Wednesday, he gets in there. They said he ripped the red bull before going into this, grabbed the newspaper and just goes off on the media about this.
Speaker 3: Article that that they wrote about his.
Speaker 4: His benching of the guy who had been the starter, Bobby Reid, and there was some tension there. Uh So he put in Zach Robinson, who we now know is the offensive coordinator down to Atlanta, and they were saying, according to Reid's account and others, this was a lot of posturing to really like he really wasn't.
Speaker 5: So the locker room didn't buy into this.
Speaker 4: No, Bobby Reid definitely didn't. The relationship was kind of strained there. He thought, you know, the starting job should have been his, but behind closed doors, Oklahoma State wanted to go with Robinson. And he's kind of out there fake sticking up for his guy. He's sort of the legend around it.
Speaker 3: But how many years ago this was? This was seven.
Speaker 7: I'm a man, I'm forty. I say that twice a week.
Speaker 3: It still is in the lexicon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it also makes me feel better about getting older because not yet a man. I'm not even forty yet. So like, I'm good, I got a long ways to go. Tom, I'm still a boy.
Speaker 5: Can't write anything bad about you, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, baby, Mike Gundy said some wild stuff.
Speaker 3: He's a rodeo brother. He's not cowboys. Shout out the cowboys. Baby.
Speaker 1: He's a visor guy too, big visor.
Speaker 5: Guy, mullet guy mulle advisors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's uh, he's a one of a kind guy. He he was.
Speaker 3: Actually he was the OC.
Speaker 4: When they recruited this Bobby Reid guy and got in a stick around. But Less Miles was the head coach, which I forgot. I forgot out Less Miles at Oklahoma State. Oh shit, that one kind of went under my radar. But a tie back into this game that prompted this rant. They had beat they want to shootout against Texas Tech a couple of days before this forty nine forty five Dola in this.
Speaker 3: Game, Yeah, fourteen.
Speaker 4: Catches for two hundred and thirty three yards in a tuddy Graham Harrold's out there throwing till his arm falls off. Forty six of sixty seven for six hundred forty six yards, five touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Jesus, that is.
Speaker 4: The old Crowdtree to Crabtree, fourteen catches, two hundred and thirty seven yards, three touchdowns.
Speaker 3: This game is core had a two game.
Speaker 5: I missed Big twelve.
Speaker 3: I missed when it was like that man.
Speaker 1: Dola and Crabtree. That's a good little that's a good receiver.
Speaker 3: That is fun. Baby year.
Speaker 5: They were just breaking the all time touchdown record.
Speaker 3: Just letting it fly. Oh, Dola made the guys go on a rant.
Speaker 4: Dola Crabtree friend of the show, Dola, we love you, baby, Vodola, go vote. But I love that. I just rarely do you get a great rant days after a win. It's a unique, it's unique in the rant world. We got a we had Dennis Green. We mentioned that a little bit with Vernon during the episode. Vern was a fan of that rant when he was the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. This is two thousand and six. This is Rex Grossman Super Bowl year.
Speaker 5: Baby, like that defense was just on fire.
Speaker 4: After a Monday night game, Dennis Green's Cardinals were one in four. The Bears, who eventually went to the Super Bowl were five and zero, and after three quarters of football, Arizona was leading them twenty three to ten. But with five minutes ago, the peanut punch Man, the punch man peanut till he returned to Edgard and j Games fumble for a tuddy edge edge of Cardinals years. You forget about those, don't forget about them?
Speaker 7: Which are better than? Which is which is better? Edgrid James from the Cardinals or Emmitt Smith on the Cardinals?
Speaker 3: Oh both weirdo.
Speaker 1: Both probably think went over a thousand. You have to look that up here real quick.
Speaker 3: No, you don't have to.
Speaker 4: Just then with and then two minutes later after that frumble, Devin Huster returns upon eighty three yards, which would be the game winning score.
Speaker 3: So it was a brutal loss.
Speaker 4: Rip their hearts out and Dennis Green takes the podium man and he lets him fly.
Speaker 3: Baby, are who we thought they were? That's why we took the damn field. You want to crown them, to crown their ass.
Speaker 1: But we they were that they were remember that, Yes, we let them off TK like the coach slam Bro.
Speaker 4: That was all time, all the time.
Speaker 3: I loved that. They's such an old, old school guy. We let them off talk crown their ass, crown.
Speaker 4: I never really heard that term crown him until Dennis screen Now every time I hear someone say it, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like Dennis crowd. They picked off Rex Grossman for he passed away?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I p Man all right, p knis screen Man ready?
Speaker 4: Moscus carter Man losing what one game that season?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the heck of a guy.
Speaker 4: Heck a, this might be my favorite. Moving on, moving on, next one. Jim Mora, another guy we mentioned during the Minneapolis Colts.
Speaker 1: His son oh Is. This was this after like paying the playing the Patriots.
Speaker 4: This was two thousand and one. This was after the Niners.
Speaker 3: Oh they they lost. Talk about playoffs? You kidding me?
Speaker 4: Playoffs?
Speaker 3: I just hope we went another game. We'll talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win another game.
Speaker 5: Playoffs. I say this one four times a week.
Speaker 4: This was they fell to four and six, So this would have been week ten.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't believe, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Weekend because they moved to four and six after this game. Peyton Manning through four picks this game, so that was kind of the story of that when they lost forty one to twenty to San fran Man. So that was a young Peyton Manning just getting ripped. And then thirty went on to say, I don't know. All I know is we threw four interceptions and fumbled once and one interception they returned for a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Three others were in our endo the field and they score. That's all I know.
Speaker 4: That's inexcusable. Inexcusable, And then he went on to the classic playoffs. Talk to me about playoffs. So threw Peyton under the bus a little bit there, but I mean he was he was in rent mode.
Speaker 3: Man. He definitely threw him under the bus.
Speaker 4: Four receptions?
Speaker 3: Is Jim Morrigan he's still with us? All right?
Speaker 1: If he's still kicking, let me double check here, where's his son, where's his junior? Or he's coaching Papa Papa Jim morrew eighty nine.
Speaker 4: Let's go Jim more And then the sun he was I remember was the Falcons say Yukon My bad.
Speaker 3: Sorry you come.
Speaker 7: He was a US head coach for a while, holding it down, bro, you I always I always hated Jim Moore junior, just because making Mike Vick run a West Coast offense. It's just like, I'm like fourteen years old. I'm just like, that's the dumbest thing you've ever seen. Fix whole thing is like improvisation and throwing the ball deep and being an athlete. You're gonna put him on timing routes. What are we fucking doing here? That's my rant. That's pretty good. That's a pretty good postcast.
Speaker 3: Baby, Mike Vick.
Speaker 4: Fuck, we love you, We love your Mike.
Speaker 1: Mike and West Coast would be lethal. It wasn't went to the super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Didn't didn't they didn't Mike go to the super Bowl, or they went. They went to this.
Speaker 7: They beat the Packers in the playoffs in Lambeau before they brought in Jim.
Speaker 5: Oh right, all right, next Michaels, Mike Singletary.
Speaker 4: We all know that. We we talked about that. When we we don't have a whole heck of a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't have Vernon to do the.
Speaker 4: I mean Vernon Davis here with us, So I don't even know if we should try.
Speaker 3: I like, I like calling them vern I like Vernon.
Speaker 4: I like when he said former vern Broadway, vern Broadway, ver Broadway, Verne had a great ring to it.
Speaker 5: Who wants to go to the Jets?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a wild one.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you gotta, if you think about it, if you got it turned around and wanted the Jets, you'd be a king forever. Yes, So, I mean I could see why guys want to do it. It's it's still New York City. It's still Broadway, Joe. There's a lot of tradition with the Jets. Like it's not like they're Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: No, really, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did win one Super Bowl in this was it sixties, I mean, but that's still it's like one of the great game and those people.
Speaker 3: Love their football.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean so, I it'll be like so weird when they when they do win.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be cool.
Speaker 4: Will it happen in the next twenty years?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know either. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it'd be cool, but I wouldn't be mad.
Speaker 4: It'd be something. Yeah, I mean it would, it would be good.
Speaker 1: It'd be good for the league for sure, be good for the shield.
Speaker 5: Of the historically snake bit franchises. Let's just say members or the Chargers, Browns, Browns, Lions.
Speaker 3: Who's going rounds and Lions?
Speaker 1: Lions? Lions will do before them all. I think, Oh my gosh, that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 5: Chargers with Harbor, I know, it's weird right now.
Speaker 1: They've been competitive and with Philip Rivers not too too far back, Yeah, but they've never the Browns have never, like they had one playoff win since like Bernie Kozar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Baker and then Detroit.
Speaker 4: I mean I got to learn from it, hopefully.
Speaker 1: I mean Peter Schrager picked Packers over Chiefs or Packers Chiefs, Chiefs win and three peat, and I guess he's done it like three times in a row.
Speaker 3: He picked the winner too, or just I don't know, clairvoyant.
Speaker 1: What else would we got herm Edwards, herm baby?
Speaker 4: This was This was HERM at the Jets, HERM wearing the crew neck, the shield, polo or a sweatshirt here, great Krwnick was just a shield. I love that this was back in Oh wait, another midweek rant. This was at his Wednesday presser. The Jets were sitting at two and five and herm just lets it loose, baby, he lets it rip. Another great woman is very quotable. This is what's great about sports. You play to win the game. Hello, You play to win the game. You don't just play to play it.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 5: It was to win the game.
Speaker 4: I love that one.
Speaker 3: David Bennett.
Speaker 1: David Bennett, we might need some context. This is a This is a Carolina twenty eleven. I remember this from the world of college football. He is the head coach at Coastal Carolina. Only lasted a few more months after this, but this was this was a great one. When a coach is up there meowing at a press conference, you know you're in for something special.
Speaker 3: You read this. You need to be more like a dog. We got a bunch of cats in here.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Looking in the mirror, do I look good? I got my extra bands on, I got my other's shoes.
Speaker 3: Be a dog.
Speaker 4: We don't need no mews. We don't need no more cats. We need more dogs.
Speaker 3: So he was uh.
Speaker 4: He preceded this by telling a story about getting his sons ready for a golf tournament. And a cat got stuck in their screen door at their house, and he was yelling to his sons.
Speaker 3: There's a cat in the house. What, there's a cat in the house.
Speaker 4: And he went this whole back and forth, and uh, he starts meowing a bunch, and then he lays into this about dogs.
Speaker 1: Baby Coastal needed some dogs, and that, right there is why football players and coaches have the dumb tag. Yes, right there, that is that is what are we doing.
Speaker 5: He's not wrong. You know, cats with dogs.
Speaker 4: He's not wrong.
Speaker 3: I can get it.
Speaker 5: But I transcription too. Where we get this transcription from?
Speaker 3: Uh? I just wrote it after the.
Speaker 7: Thing because some dogs are og and some dogs are a And I think it actually works with how I.
Speaker 4: Think he d d a W referring to the yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like we need to be playing more like a dog with an Oh great, I need a dag.
Speaker 5: Yeah, be a dog.
Speaker 3: I think be a dog? Could be an a a w G. More dogs. Yeah, you needed to go.
Speaker 1: A w G dog is like a bat like dirty dog. That's like what this is. This is I wouldn't say dumb tag, but I'm pretty sure after this. In looking back on this in twenty twenty four. This coach. Do you think he wins? Is a little like I shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 4: I wonder. I mean, this is one of the I mean, like when you're pulling out the sound effects when.
Speaker 1: You're great analogy. I'm an analogy guy. But uh, where's he at? Let me see what he's up.
Speaker 7: To these last he was an administrative person at Lensington School District one in South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I love it baby high School. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably getting paid a boat load too because he's viral. Hey, yeah, the guys cashing in. Let's go coach.
Speaker 4: Coastal Carolina, home of Isaiah likely.
Speaker 3: Isaiah like love Isaiah likely beast? Oh is this a coach Belichick? Yeah? Let's me and Jack should wait? Two hands? What do you want to be reporter?
Speaker 5: Or do you want to be Bill? Someone who wants to me Bill?
Speaker 4: I feel like the guy that does the best Bill impression.
Speaker 5: You want to be Bill?
Speaker 3: I'll be Bill.
Speaker 5: Do you want to be the reporter?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'll be reported?
Speaker 4: Okay ready, Jewels, Yeah, your team has been successful for so long. How difficult is it to adjust to the adversity of Monday night's game and to get back on track? This team in this organization hasn't had these sort of issues in the past. Or we're on the Cincinnati You mentioned Tom Brady's age.
Speaker 1: Well, we're on to Cincinnati. Do you think having a third that we're on to Cincinnati? Nothing about the past, nothing about the future. Right now, we're preparing for Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Do you think the.
Speaker 4: Talent you have here is good?
Speaker 1: We're getting ready for Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Do you think you've done enough to help Tom Brady?
Speaker 1: We're getting ready for Cincinnati, That's what we're doing.
Speaker 4: And then I think we all know it ended up happening in that twenty fourteen season with the New England Patriots.
Speaker 3: Everyone that you're going to beat the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 7: I remember we had an important shoot that Tuesday after the Cincinnati game, and when you were playing, it was always like, hope the Pats fucking win, otherwise shoots getting canceled, and I remember being very happy that you guys kicked the ship out of the Bengals for that.
Speaker 5: Shit we had. Was it Google last, I don't know, it was later than that.
Speaker 3: Was it Coach Up? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have to look that up because I.
Speaker 4: Just remember riding on the Cincinnati game forty three to seventeen. Baby, well, but now was Andy Dalton back then?
Speaker 1: Oh red rockets, Oh coach now in the media, Chatty Caddy.
Speaker 4: Now he Chatty Caddy A far cry from this guy. Oh, oh my gosh, coach.
Speaker 5: Do we have a favorite out of these?
Speaker 1: I like Danny Dennis Green.
Speaker 4: I like Danny Green. I think the best Danny Danny. I think it just had the most, It had the most passion behind it, It had the viger It felt so authentic, it was real.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that one that that seems a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was posturing.
Speaker 7: I think, yeah, Arizona team was dogshit and dogshit for a while, Like then they should have won that game.
Speaker 1: Dennis Green is legitimately like really like hurt and mad about this.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that's a.
Speaker 4: Man that just blew a thirteen point lead in the.
Speaker 1: Jim Mora is just like he's over it.
Speaker 5: He might be my favorite just because I just will some cod.
Speaker 1: He's conceded to be. He's done singletary growing experience.
Speaker 3: I guess I.
Speaker 7: Will say, Jim Mora in the studio when we're hanging around than that house, if you will, like occasionally I'll just do a playoffs. And then from the other room often Jack will be like, you're playing it within the game, or we're just trying to win a game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't talk to me about playoffs.
Speaker 4: These are all like the fact that these have such staying power in the sports lexicon, or.
Speaker 1: Even just herm is just frustrated. Is just frustrated, Like with this, he's like the question. He let the question get to him a little bit.
Speaker 4: Oh big time.
Speaker 3: That's that. And then Daven Bennett, I don't know, was he trying to go viral? It seemed like it. I mean, I don't think he was, but it just seemed like it.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think? And you want to hear about that in the questions?
Speaker 5: I can only imagine.
Speaker 1: And then Bill like, this isn't really a rant. This is a word. This is three words. We're on the Cincinnati. Yeah, this is considered I think in building.
Speaker 5: Rant is a word that we can change. Yeah, most like them.
Speaker 3: He loves yes now.
Speaker 1: I've heard him reference it a couple of times. I listened to one on his ship. He's I think he's good.
Speaker 4: People want us to do this game too, by the way, we should. They want to do the I think that's almost got to be like a two hand er. You do the week before and then you do the Kansas City game, and then you do that one.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Kansas City was the Kansas City the game is before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so you do maybe your reference that one heavy and then you do this sincy blowout. I don't know what you technically consider the game that we do.
Speaker 3: It's annoyed.
Speaker 7: I can only imagine all these are two thousands what and I don't know how coach post game press conferences work, game whatever, whatever one he wants to do some Navy Army game, I would do anything.
Speaker 3: He'll do that for a million percent.
Speaker 12: Lacrosse Wesley and lacrosse Cherokees versus the goddamn Apache lacrosse game. We should we should, we should tap into a sixteen thirty.
Speaker 3: I'm three.
Speaker 7: We should happen to AI and did like what a Vincelambardi like post game would be.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I know there'd probably be some like some crazy old old man.
Speaker 7: Flying around Vincelambardi like if they did post game press conferences and there was video.
Speaker 3: Ye outside it outside an't gonna counter up follow.
Speaker 4: Hey, I don't know why I made him in nineteen twenties gangster.
Speaker 3: Because he is.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at this box score of this Cardinals game, Matt Liner versus Rex Grossman.
Speaker 3: What a game? She's Louise, Matt Lioner, Man.
Speaker 4: And Cam Bolden twelve catches one hundred and thirty six yards of ads.
Speaker 1: It's Matt Lioner's son's birthday here soon.
Speaker 3: I just did like an email thing for it. How would you possibly what did you just say, Matt Liner? Yeah? Why why do you know it?
Speaker 1: Because I literally just had to do an email for like a you know, like a well wishous thing.
Speaker 5: Oh, I actually send an email A nice guy.
Speaker 1: Whatever I send, it could be it could have I think it's uh or graduation.
Speaker 3: He's a stud player. He is. He's getting some looks man. But man, that was fun. That was a fun episode with Vernon.
Speaker 5: One thing quick on Vernon.
Speaker 7: When we book a guest, it's often like there's a there's a little bit of a dance on figuring out the game. Oftentimes it's asking them what game they want to do, But sometimes you know, you have to be limited with the amount of communications just to kind of point it in and.
Speaker 5: Get them locked in.
Speaker 7: And with this one, he we asked the game and literally in seconds he had this game and we're like, yes, he knows this.
Speaker 5: He knows the fucking assignment and we were so pumped to do this game with Vernon.
Speaker 1: It's clearly prepared. You hear what he takes his acting career. He probably did some serious Earnie homework on this goddamn podcast before he came here.
Speaker 3: He's Ernie ship.
Speaker 4: I didn't I didn't see to prepare.
Speaker 1: I mean, he had some impressions, he must have. I don't know if he's an impression guy. I know he's an actor, but he knows that we do impressions, so he came in light. I mean that was that was some fire, straight fire.
Speaker 3: Let it rip baby.
Speaker 4: Shout out Vernon, thanks for coming to those watch plan b playing b Baby seventy two hours, seventy two hours, two hours and.
Speaker 3: Seventy two hours or.
Speaker 4: Or no, uh that was the other one.
Speaker 3: This horror. My guy, He's in so many got.
Speaker 1: Bruce Willis three movies memoirs starting based love It And that's been another episode of Games with Names presented by Jamison Irish Whiskey. Subscribe on Apple podcasts, Spotify, or you ever listen to your podcast.
Speaker 3: Comment a game you want us to do and remember and review.
Speaker 1: Remember to follow games with names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the old hotline that is four two four two nine one two.
Speaker 3: Two nine zero. See you guys next week.
Speaker 1: Games and Names and production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit day i heeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast