Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too. And this is a short stuff, which is why I realize now that I started this off incorrectly. Short stuff.
Speaker 2: Let's go, that's right, big Thanks to Britannica Yellowstone Wild Tours, California Department of Fish Wildlife, New Hampshire, Autobond and Autobond for information about the ground headed brown ground brown headed cowbird.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you me too, she brought this bird to my attention.
Speaker 3: Oh I forgot you me dot org.
Speaker 1: So, Chuck, we're talking today about cowbirds, and really in particular the brown headed cowbird. You ever heard of them before?
Speaker 3: Had never heard of them?
Speaker 1: I hadn't neither. But if you want to know about a brown headed cowbird, the first thing you need to know about it is that it's a brood parasite. What does that mean, Chuck? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I had never heard of this trait and a bird either. So a brood parasite is a bird that will be like you know what, I don't want to build my own nest and go through all that whole process of raising these babies that I egg out of my body. So I'm just going to go lay those eggs in some other bird's nest and then go away in shirk parenthood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do it for me? How about that? Yeah, that's exactly what they do. And it you know, you're like, why would you do that? You have to be a jerk bird? And yeah, I think a lot of people think of cowbirds as kind of jerk birds just for doing that. But from their point of view, like this is this is just an adaptation that made a lot of sense to how they evolved originally. And they're from North America and they were I think indigenous to the Great Plains of North America. And the reason why is because there's another animal that was indigenous to the Great Plains of North America and they had a commensal.
Speaker 3: Commensal Is it commensal?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think so. I feel like there's a you in there anyway. Okay, they had the kind of relationship where they benefited but didn't harm the other animal. And I feel like it's high time we tell everybody what the other animal was.
Speaker 2: Chuck, that's right, drum roll everybody, It is the bison. They would follow these bison across the planes. Sometimes they were initially they were called bison birds or maybe buffalo birds, even though that's wrong. And they would follow these guys across the planes and they would feed on the insects that the bison would kick up, and they would sometimes ride along on their backs. And this is this led to why they would not birth their own little eggs in their own little nests and raise them, because they went where the bison went, and they were always on the move and bison can travel buddy. So if they're moving ten twenty miles a day and they're catching a ride on the bison's backer at the very least flying around with the bison, they're not staying there long enough to set up their own home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cowbird was rolling stone, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, bison bird at the time, I guess.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, that's right. So yeah, it totally made sense that, like they still need to reproduce, so they would just find a nest somewhere along the bison route and leave their egg and then fly back to the bison and be like wait, wait, wait for me, everybody. And I feel like that's a pretty good place to take our break.
Speaker 3: What do you think I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we're taking our break, everybody, so chuck Sadly, as probably most people know, the American bison was overhunted almost to extinction. We can seriously legitimately thank Ted Turner for almost single handedly bringing the American bison back.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: And so while in between that period between over hunting and Ted Turner, the bison bird was like, I don't have my niche anymore. I need to figure out what's going on here. I got to start looking elsewhere. And they basically spread outside of their ecological niche in the great planes to look for other things they could do to replace their bison friends, which they must have just been horrified by all the massacres they witnessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet probably very sad times for the bison bird. But eventually one of them would land on a cow and say, hey, these guys aren't so bad to ride around on. But here's the thing is, cows don't move around like the bison didn't. They're not traveling, you know, twenty miles a day. So you might think, all right, they're leading a more sedentary life. These birds are now cowbirds, and so maybe they will change their behavior. Now that they're not they don't need to do this, but they didn't. They said, we love these cows, but we also kind of like this adaptation because you know, who really wants to parent they're young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly. We're not gonna we're not gonna change anything. We're just gonna stop, you know, wasting so much effort flying around all the time. I think there's I don't remember. Oh, there's five species of cowbirds, at least the parasitic versions and the brown headed cowbird. The reason we're talking about the brown head is because it is by far the least picky about what nest it lays its eggs in. Yeah, so these are you know, they're not large eggs. They're much smaller than like a chicken's egg, but they're probably not as tiny as like say a robin's egg. They're middling sized eggs. Brown headed cowbirds will lay their eggs in like a duck's nest. Yes, this little egg is like five times smaller than the other eggs around it. Obviously, the ducks are like, what is this crud? And there are other bird species too that are kind of onto them. But a lot of times the birds will just you know, play along or else just be fooled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the finch is notorious for not liking these eggs in their nest. They're not good host of these these intruding eggs. So apparently they will uh you know, they will, they will die if they are left in charge of a finch. Other birds will will get mad and puncture holes in the eggs or just you know, beak them out of their nests. I think the catbirds do that. And then the yellow warbler has a strategy where they build nest. They'll just nest a new nest on top of those poor little eggs, sometimes several new nests, like up to five new nests on top to really bury those guys.
Speaker 1: I know, there's some like Tom and Jerry like like scene that is making that makes me think of yeah, but like it happens like really really fast.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 1: So, if however, the cowbird happens to lay their egg in a nest that the bird is like just too lazy to do anything about, that cowbird is probably going to be the only hatchling that survives because it has adaptations to outcompete other birds in the nests that it's laid in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of them is they have a shorter incubation period, so they're born first, I think sometimes up to three or four days before the other eggs might hatch, and so they got a little bit of a head start where they might take care of those extra eggs themselves. These baby birds might nudge those things out. So earlier you were saying there are some bird enthusiasts that kind of think these are jerk birds, and in my mind I was like, yeah, but you know, like these birds are doing their thing, like you can't get mad at nature for being nature. But then you get to this part and you're kind of like, ah, man, that really kinda sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So even if they're like, I'll let you guys stay, and the cowbird doesn't push the other hatchlings out, just from being a couple days older, they'll be able to muscle the other birds out of the way to get the food, and they'll just continue to outpace them and their growth, and it might be so bad that the other hatchlings starved because the cowbird doesn't let them get any of the food from the mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I get it now, bird enthusiasts, I have a question for you, though, Joshua, which is, with all this going on, not being raised by their parents, how in the world does the cowbird not start to take on traits of the bird that raise them.
Speaker 3: How do they remain cowbirds?
Speaker 1: I'm glad you asked that we don't really know, Chuck. As a matter of fact, there seems to be some sort of mechanism that prevents cowbirds from imprinting onto their adopted or foster parent from the other specie. They're not exactly sure how this happens, but they think that cowbirds hatchlings are attuned to the sound of adult cowbirds in the area, and that they're naturally attracted to it. Once they learn to fly, they'll go seek out other cowbirds, and I guess there they learn all of the cowbird habits, like playing craps and smoking cigarettes and all that stuff. Yea. And then also there's they do some weird nighttime excursions out of the nest while they're being raised, and I guess no one knows where they go, but that's something that they're like that probably has something to go learn actual cowbird behavior too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if when they are attuned to the sound of their own if they eventually fly out when they're big enough to find them, if they're like mama, and the birds are like, don't look at me, but.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, even if it was their mom, they wouldn't take credit because it's a brown headed cowbird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So if you want to find one of these, you might see them in your feet or they are adapted to all over North America, rural, suburban, urban, you can f find them everywhere. They're a smallish, a medium size, smallish bird, whatever that means. But the males have a brown head that shines and shimmers almost like a deep red in the sunlight, and they also have iridescent greenish blue plumage on their body. The females, you're not going to really notice that much. They're much less showy, but that's pretty standard for birds anyway.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: I think short stuff is about out, but since we have an extra thirty seconds, I'm going to take this opportunity to promote the new Nature series from the BBC, the latest in their ongoing work with the Great David Attenborough.
Speaker 3: Sir David Attenborough Asia.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, and it.
Speaker 2: Is fantastic stuff as always, exactly what you would expect out of the BBC Nature Series. And Sir Attenborough is ninety nine years old, he's going to be one hundred and May and he's still doing it and it's just some really amazing, striking stuff.
Speaker 1: Did they spell it like Steely Dan?
Speaker 3: Spell what like Steely Dan?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no no, they spelled it Asia.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 3: Not a ja.
Speaker 1: Well there you go. You're welcome. BBC. Chuck just hooked you guys up with some viewers. I'm going to go check that out myself.
Speaker 3: It's great, you guys would love it.
Speaker 1: Cool. Well then, I think now, Chuck short Stuff is out.
Speaker 3: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.