Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Uie Scruggs.
Speaker 3: Here we are last Players Lounge of the week. We're gonna take the rest of the week off because it's a bye week. Cowboys do not have a game. They will take this week often then come back and they will play the Sunday night game out in Santa Claara, California and Levi Stadium against the defending NFC champion San Francisco forty nine Ers.
Speaker 4: Players Lounge are joined by It is.
Speaker 3: Off I forgot you go ahead.
Speaker 4: It is Everson Walls, it is Jesse Holly.
Speaker 3: I have new Scruggs meteorologist Nate Newtons outside, got on your Jason Garrett fight sweatshirt.
Speaker 4: I thought i'd do something different, Hey, like you said, no days off for this team.
Speaker 3: Jesse Holly's got on a sweatshirt. I got some long sleeps. Ever, since he's too cool for schools, I mean Everson played ball in Cleveland and New York and yeah, you know, you know they they had no cool weather. Yeah, grandma went back. When he was playing, it.
Speaker 4: Was all hot, all like a family.
Speaker 5: He was on you all the time first and we had black helmets too, man.
Speaker 4: So that was yeah, first Cleveland game I ever covered.
Speaker 3: It was a December playoff game and ever since you know this very well bringing this to you.
Speaker 6: On this.
Speaker 3: First game, I don't understand the dog bown and they're playing the Patriots, and the Patriots are driving down the field. So back then, MEDI could just stand on the sideline, so I go to the I like to watch from the in zone. Man, I'm getting hit with batteries and bones that they're throwing out here. You run around, you know, she run around the throwing stup.
Speaker 5: What is this was a whiskey bottles forget that's wight, dude. I was there whiskey bottles, man, for it was pre pre game, but it was still. This is a different weak than when you came into young man, and I mailed the good weed coming from back there to man, good weed, the good weed.
Speaker 4: Yeah at the bad.
Speaker 7: Reggie, that old school babby all in the dog. I'm sorry, we got that's a home conversation.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 4: They knew together yet.
Speaker 3: Alright, Now, the toughest place you've ever played the National Football League?
Speaker 2: They Newtons Where Philadelphia.
Speaker 7: Hmm, that's Philadelphia, the old raggedy carpet field, Philadelphia Vet, the old vat.
Speaker 5: And you were there for the Ice Bowl, Yeah, of course you were. Yeah, we got hit, man, Philly. I got hit with snowballs. Man, you're talking about those batteries in the snowball.
Speaker 2: They talking about cover the coach.
Speaker 5: Then they talking about geting behind the line because it seems as if no better were they threw it from. They couldn't reach the field. That's right, it's every throw they couldn't reach the field. So if you're on this side on the sideline and the field is here, you one step onto the field, and the referee kept saying get back, get back, like no, kiss my, We're not getting back nah nah. Because that's where the batteries and the and the two picks and all that and the frozen They were snowballs, but they were frozen.
Speaker 4: So that's a whole different story. Clean, sweet Philly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Philly, I used to do to tell because I'm from Jersey, so I used to have to tell like, there was no women allowed to go to the Philadelphia games. So you know, only the fellas can drive up and come to the Philadelphia game because it was just too much, too much of having my mom or aunt or something like that.
Speaker 4: And you know.
Speaker 8: If you weren't good with your hands, you wouldn't right.
Speaker 3: This was an added pressure you just didn't want to put on the people, your peoples that So, yeah, this is clean, sweet Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: From what I heard. The only woman that they were let in there was Randy White's mom. Yeah she was ready, no crap.
Speaker 4: She was protected by her her babies.
Speaker 3: So did you also tell the folks you got tickets to in Philadelphia not to wear any cowboy gear or did they wear.
Speaker 7: Their My my cousin wore his cowboy gear. But my cousin Nod had a web getting the with people. Even though he was ready to fight, he had a way of getting along with people like you.
Speaker 4: Like you to a good point, man, All my people wore my stuff. Just like I said.
Speaker 3: The dudes that came to the game, they knew what it was, and they was if it went down and went down, and I was I was cool for the gods y'all got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But for the ladies, I just I didn't want that.
Speaker 5: I'd say honorable mentioned uh, the Saints, New Orleans just because of the sound.
Speaker 4: But the sound, you don't hear anything, but it's fun. But the walls is fun. Though. It's fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you're not danger But I mean in regards to to a tough environment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never.
Speaker 5: Heard voices start to sound like an engine. It's crazy, you know, that's just people and they scream and screaming after a while it gets them, I guess, bouncing off everything in there. And they don't sound like humans. It sounds like an engine or something type of mechanics, and it's turned up louder and louder and louder, and it's like normally when you drink, you begin to lose your voice, but these people don't, right, it's.
Speaker 4: Just the professional Yeah, no doubt no New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Like from where you and I are standing, I could not hear the words that come out of your mouth when they got when they got to going like it was, it was tough.
Speaker 4: That would be my honor.
Speaker 7: We just held held hands because even if our center tried to do the snap count, you just couldn't hear it. They were real that, you know, Seattle and Seattle had must be pumping music because Seattle was never that scary, not like not like New Orleans.
Speaker 2: That was the difference. That was a different sound.
Speaker 4: All right, cowboys, you're sitting here three and three.
Speaker 3: If you are the coaches, what is it that you can legitimately fix as you go take on the forty nine ers?
Speaker 4: Jesse jitimately.
Speaker 3: Assignment alignment football. You've heard the guys talk about it, you know, two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 3: Kind of in a very snarky way. It wasn't snarky, but in a very kind of humorous way.
Speaker 4: He could.
Speaker 3: He overused the word details, right, details detailed, detailed, detailed details.
Speaker 4: And that is the one thing.
Speaker 3: If we're not going to be extremely or supremely talented, if we're just not gonna just overwhelm you with force or overwhelm you with talent, then you gotta be. You gotta be Princeton offense, right like you gotta you know, Preston Office beat you because they're gonna cut past back door this, you know every single time college basketball, right like you gotta be you have to be that.
Speaker 4: So that's the one thing.
Speaker 3: If you're going to say we just don't have the Jimmies and Joe's, then damn it. We have to be almost perfect in the details of our alignment and assignment football. So if you're playing Army or Navy, they're running the wishbone assigned and the stick stick.
Speaker 2: With it line.
Speaker 7: You got the full back, that it linebackers, you got the quarterback corner.
Speaker 2: You got to come up and get the pitch.
Speaker 4: You gotta get the pitch man. And that has to be.
Speaker 3: It can't be sixty five percent of the time. It gotta be ninety nine point nine percent of the time. You have to and that that's the only thing that because where we stand right here, and these guys know this, when you leave training camp, your foundation is set, your identity is set. As the season progresses, you are to add layers to that as you go along. Each week gives you a different game plan, So there's things that you add in, there's layers to this, and then by the end of it all, you have a collection of things that you can go to and play a game. When you start off the way the Cowboys have started off this season, they have not got a chance, they wanted it. They came out of training camp, didn't have an identity. Secondly, when you play as bad as they have played, you spend so much time and you hear the coaches said, we gotta get back to the basics. We got to get back to the basics, Mike Zimmer said the other day, and as presser, they said, we took eight steps back. I thought we were going in the right direction after Philadelphia, excuse me, after Pittsburgh and the Giants, we took eight steps back. So if you took eight steps back, now, I gotta stay focusing on the basics of what we're doing. And you can't be basic against the forty nine ers. Can't be You won't be able to be basic against the Houston Texans. You won't be able to be basic against Washington or Atlanta, right these teams that you're facing. But you're so undisciplined and you're so out of sorts that you don't you have not been afforded the luxury to add the next level to whatever your offensive defense is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not trying to.
Speaker 5: Talk about the coach of trying to get him replaced or anything, but this is the kind of rhetoric that you hear from a Belichick type of team. They're gonna beat you with their fundamentals. Uh they I already know they don't have that much talent. We were losing a lot of talent. The talent we had, a lot of them are hurt. A lot of people are injured on this team, which really adds to the frustration of the defensive coach and all of that. But when it comes down to it, if you're a Bill Belichick type of team, they're going to still be as basic and fundamental as they need to be every time. Just like you talked about with their triple option, they're going to be a triple option type of team, not running the triple option, but have that mentality as you talked about, of being not talented but a fundamentally sound.
Speaker 4: We're not going to shoot ourselves in the foot, We're not jumping.
Speaker 5: Up, We're not gonna give the We're not giving them nothing. You're gonna have to We're gonna take it because we're not gonna give it to you. I've always loved that type of ball.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I played for Belichick, so yeah, I understood that. I didn't realize what an offensive genius he was. But he studied offense because of all the defense going up against his defense. He studied the offenses that were successful against him. So he's kind of tried to cover all angels angles in that regard. But we're dealing with injuries as well as not having talent, no depth, and not not much talent.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you had talent Week three when you got boat raced by the Saints, you had talent. Those guys wasn't hurt then.
Speaker 4: And we also we also have youth as well. I mean, I'm just telling you what he is. Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 5: Offensively, our offensive line is not good. They just they're just not consistently good. They're not consistently good. We're still trying to look at our defensive line trying to get them consistently good. Like Nate was talking about yesterday, one of the players, he's got to play better. You can't have a couple of players went playing well and a couple of players not. That's not Father Middley sound.
Speaker 3: So Nate, what what legitimately can these coaches fix during this bye week as they get ready to face the forty nine ers. Jesse says, it's about being assigning alignment.
Speaker 2: What would what do you think that the bottom line?
Speaker 4: Listen to a show earlier.
Speaker 7: The bottom line is is what both of these gentlemen are saying. But your action third teamers to do it against first teamers. I'm talking about defensively, it's not going to work. You can line up. I'm gonna be on the outside of ever since and I'm gonna maintain this gap. But if Everson are all pro and I'm a third teamer, not gonna work. They're gonna have to get these guys back healthy. They're gonna have to go from ground one, like Jesse saying, and you can't never get.
Speaker 2: Away from it.
Speaker 7: When we play the seventeenth and final game, we have to be still talking assignment and alignment. When you go in to next year, going to training camp, you have to be talking the same thing because anything less, you're gonna get beat.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get beat to death. I just believe that.
Speaker 3: So the coaches, it's ever to say. We're not trying to fire anyone here, it's just what do you do. You're sitting here and this is what I said. You guys tell me if I'm crazy and I said this on Channel five Crazy. This team is good enough to beat five hundred teams and teams below five hundred, no doubt, but anyone good they can't because if you can't run the football and you can't stop the run, it's a recipe for a disaster in the league. We can play fantasy football all day long talking about it. I got this wide receiver, I got this quarterback, got this, but this game is still one in the trenches.
Speaker 4: That's what I said, Thoughts, that's facts.
Speaker 3: I think you're correct in that part. But I do think there are ways if you want to modernize what you do. Now, that's a tough that's a tough role to toe because sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks. And the guys that you have in those positions a head coach, lash OC and DC are guys. And I've always said this, when it comes to coaches, we praised them for when they do good. We don't shame them enough when they're stubbornly dumb. And a lot of coaches who are of Mike, Mike McCarthy, Michael from Pittsburgh and Mike Zimmer their ages, they are stubborn in their ways, because that's how they came up in this game. That's what has made them successful in their at moments in time in this season. But in the words of Fat Joe, yesterday's price is not today's price. So what you did in the early two thousands and what you did in twenty ten, the game's changed. Those coordinators on the other side, both offensively and defensively. I say this jokingly. They got updated iPhone Sixteen's right. They wear skinny jeans that don't cover their ankles. They're into the analytics, and they're willing to do all these different things that will make the mismatches. Uh, they'll dictate the mitch matches that they want on any giving down.
Speaker 4: But Andy Reid and Steve Spagnola are still out here doing what they've been doing Andy Reid. Andy Reid has said it publicly.
Speaker 3: Andy Reid goes, if you are on my team, coach and or player, and you got some plays that you think we should.
Speaker 4: Run, bring them to me.
Speaker 7: Bring them to me, and furthermore, he will sit down with you. You think a player are coach, Andy.
Speaker 4: Reid is running Mary.
Speaker 3: They're doing Mary go round in the huddle, breaking the huddle from doing the mar from doing the merry, go round to run a play that ain't That ain't nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: That is an up to date of what they're doing today.
Speaker 3: They now they got some now non granted, they got Mulatto Jesus and they got Chris Joe's on defense.
Speaker 4: That helps.
Speaker 3: Talent always will help you. But those guys understand, hey, we we we gotta do little things a little different. And offensively, Andy Reid, he ain't doing what he did when he was playing at Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Coach and coach, and I understand this.
Speaker 7: When you crossed the twenty, the defensive coordinator is still gonna blitch you. It just may look a little different.
Speaker 2: It ain't changing.
Speaker 7: But most times you crossed most teams twenty, they gonna they're gonna give you an extra man.
Speaker 2: It's just where that extra man is coming from and who that extra man is.
Speaker 4: Let's get a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back on the players Longe brought to you by Aristocrat Game. I'm gonna ask Nate Newton, Everson Walls, and Jesse Holly who was the best position coach.
Speaker 4: You ever had?
Speaker 3: And what made that coach good. We'll do it next right on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 4: Hey they're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 8: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 10: Pruscott kitschit slides for the first down.
Speaker 8: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 4: Throw My goodness, wow, did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy witball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year Go Cowboys to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 3: This segment is brought to you by Little Stars. Hey, parents, get ready for spectacular time at the Little Stars present by Nuna on Wizdy October thirtieth. This free Halloween theme event is perfect for your little ones. Pumpkin age five and under joined us from ten am to twelve p m for fun activities, silly games and lots of treats for the Thestar District dot com for more information. Thank you, brother Jesse Holly, appreciate it. This is the player's Lines, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. The Normal crew, Heck Maherrison, Barry Church down here in their place. You've got Nate Newton College Football Hall of Famer, three times Super Bowl champion with the Dallas Cowboys. Everson Walls, a super Bowl champion himself with the New York Giants, but we all know him as a Dallas Cowboy, came to leave making the interceptions, and we got Jesse Holly, mister fourth and long.
Speaker 4: I always loved Jesse.
Speaker 3: Because you're part of the two thousand and five national championship team in North Carolina. You gotta start doing me first, because when you do super Bowl Champion, super Bowl champion, anybody in c A championing you let me go first and get mine out in the way so that you can build up to these dudes.
Speaker 4: Will you come around to me? Third, I just feel like I literally sitting there like you were like, it's like.
Speaker 6: I just go.
Speaker 4: Look, I just go. I just said people like everything boys rises because it helps you know. He goes enthusiastic college Football Hall of Fame. I'll be like, h you'd like Jesse Holly. I'd be like, he's like Jesse Holly. I'm like, but don't even make you feel good when say and I'm new, he scrubbs like Waid out here and his enthusiasm for himself that goes down. But do me first. Next, you just do me first, Ben Everson, didn't they yourself?
Speaker 3: You won championship, won a championship, man by first championship.
Speaker 4: That's special. Special.
Speaker 3: In the parture, I'll be trying to hold over the little confidence I got left. But when you come around that table, super Bowl three times, super Bowl over here, I'd be like, Jesse Holly.
Speaker 4: Caught the one yard line. I was there.
Speaker 10: I was there.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, it's good to laugh at yourself time. I'll start with you here.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, your favorite position coach, the position coach. And I bring this up because so many times people look at coordinators and hate coaches, But it is the position coach that you spend most of your time with. The position coaches all started right there. They have the room together. You spend most of your time with that guy. So Jesse your favorite position coach, who is the guy that you felt like, hey, man, he knew how to how to do his game. I have a lot of love for Ray Sherman, who was my wide receiver coach. Love Coach Sheran, love love, love, love love. Coach Sherm was a holid, dude man, good coach. But for me, it was Jody Camillis who was the special teams coordinator, And I learned so much about football, about the business of football, about having a sponsor in football, and Jody took care of me like Jody he was and I've always been a player. That give it to me real. Don't don't give me the Jason Garrett. I wish I had fifty three of you and the one that you had to cut. You know what I'm saying, don't give me that.
Speaker 4: Don't give me, don't give me that.
Speaker 3: Don't give me that. Give give me Hey, you fed up, here's why? Or hey keep doing.
Speaker 4: And Jody camillis man. He was he's still to this day special dude.
Speaker 3: Man talk to him often. He was one that he would stand on the table for me. He would get those meeting rooms. I remember, uh, we were playing the Arizona Cardinals in a z and I had a couple of catches in that game and Jody's walking up the sideline and he's yelling.
Speaker 4: And this is the guy that you wanted to cut. And all he does is show up when you need him.
Speaker 3: Like he's yelling that on the sideline about me, and I'm like, that's the dude when you When he says, Hey, Jess, I need you to go down here and break this wedge, I'm like, all right, point him out. Hey, Jess on kickoff return their best player. He's six five, two seventy.
Speaker 4: I got you. I don't know how we're gonna do it, but I got you. You know what I'm saying. I got you.
Speaker 3: And I'm like we're gonna have to quick shot him to come around him. But I got you because I knew that he had my back. I knew that he was always honest with me and upfront with me and man, he gave me the game for real, for real, and so for him to him, I'll always be indebted to Jody Camillis.
Speaker 4: Ever, wall Oh, mine is pretty simple.
Speaker 5: Even though he's was a head coach and became a head coach and defensive coordinated for the Giants, Belichick, it's just that culling.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: He was a guy that, like you said, I learned a lot from him. I learned about his professionalism. I mean I knew about it, but to see a coach that was as consistent as he was, and like you said, he's.
Speaker 4: Going to give it to you straight. You know.
Speaker 5: I remember once we played the Detroit Lions and I played. I was blessed enough to play with the heck of a defense in New York. And there are times when he had me back at safety on third downs because I can take advantage of my plate making the building. But the Lions kept running Barry Sanders, and Barry was scared.
Speaker 4: You can see it. He was afraid.
Speaker 5: I mean, the nineteen ninety you should be afraid of that team. That defense was something. Take me out of that defense, that front seven, and so he kept trying to run him in there.
Speaker 4: He wasn't doing anything. After a while, I'm just back there looking. It's nothing to do. I'm just back there looking. There's nothing.
Speaker 5: They didn't they didn't have a game plan. They weren't trying to throw the wide receivers because I was waiting to get something. There was nothing back there. He called me in on Monday and said, Everson, the man said, he's talking about plusself.
Speaker 4: The man said, you need to do better, like do what you know? He said, do better? I mean, you know, and I know what he means. You got your body language is bad. But you back there. Damn, they're chilling a couple of places.
Speaker 5: I didn't even have to move, and they're like, man, you can't do that. Man, you know, but I had never been on the defense like that before.
Speaker 4: And so he was right.
Speaker 5: And I kept trying to all I don't want to hear it. And that's what I liked about him. I'm gonna be loyal to this man. That's my boss.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to lose my job because of you. Right, So you do what the man told me to tell you to do, and we are done. I like that, bro. That's what I like about New York's East Coast brothers.
Speaker 5: All this polite uh crap that's going on, you know, likeness, but really on the inside, they don't like it.
Speaker 4: Think about New Yorkers, the East Coast people. They don't like it. They gonna tell you that, but then they gonna work with you though. They gonna still work with you if they have to. That's why I'm always at the East Coast. That's where we get along. So that's why we get along. I don't like BS. We got BS enough. I wasn't drafted. You wasn't drafted. You know about it.
Speaker 5: Man, Even if everybody get tired of just being somebody BS and you all the time, happens a lot. I don't mean this building I'm talking about in the South alone. Now you go East Coast, man, they're gonna.
Speaker 4: Hey, man, what you want? Man, I tell you what I want. Oh okay, cool, Yeah, I'll help you out. That's just it. That's what I like. That's what I like. I love it now. Belichick is my guy.
Speaker 5: Also, Nick Saban wasn't bad either as a defense as a position coach. I'm talking about position coaches at that time. Belichick was a defensive coordinator, but he was also my position coach. The same with Nick Saban when I went to Cleveland. He was my defensive coordinator, but he was also my positionosician coach. And those two guys were did you see.
Speaker 4: Being what he became? I did? You did? Yeah? Yeah I did? Because of his intensity.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 5: He would just stand up there tell people all the time. He respected the veterans, he really did. He was trying to learn a lot from us. I appreciated that much from him. But he would just stand there all the time. And we asked you a question and he just robbed it back and forth, looking at you. He's already thinking about something else. He's not even really looking at you. He's he's in his brain, just kind of his move. Yeah, yes, next move.
Speaker 4: Just intense.
Speaker 5: He would walk back and forth as he would stand up there at the thing, like, man, this dude here is intense.
Speaker 4: So I like that about it.
Speaker 3: A lot of great coaches on that staff when I when I worked up there, you didn't know.
Speaker 4: So it was saving. It was a defensive coordinator and he had gotten the job in Michigan State when I got up there. So he finished it out, finished it.
Speaker 3: Out, and went up there. Kirk Farns coached old line. Uh still Iowa bats was it.
Speaker 4: Baits the defensive line coach? I can't remember remember Pat. He ended up going to Atlanta, having a good career.
Speaker 3: Pat Hill coach the tight ends, went out to Fresno State, became legendary out there at Fresno State. Ozzie Knewson was in personnel under Mike Lombardi and obviously we know he went out there and won two Super Bowls. Scott Pioli was an advanced Scott who was dating the lady that I knew at my TV station.
Speaker 4: She fed him.
Speaker 3: Man, Jeanie used to turn the blinds on us because he worked in PR.
Speaker 4: So we couldn't see on the field. He was there, Schwartz was there.
Speaker 3: It's some assistant dude, Jim, Yeah, yeah, man, it's a lot of It was a lot of just a lot of you know, good dudes on that Cleveland and.
Speaker 7: Look atland now. You let twenty five guys go and look at you now, come on.
Speaker 4: Man, they got Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: And Mariy got like, I'm gone.
Speaker 4: That brother. Keep getting colder anyway, colder and colder. You're gonna be in Canada like me. Man.
Speaker 3: I had a job interview Buffalo one time. Man, it was so cold. I called my I wouldn't have no job that time. I called him, said, yeah, I don't want this job.
Speaker 5: That was one of my free agent choices coming out of ground that I could have gone Cowboys Saints of Buffalo. Buffalo is the first thing I crossed out, like, I don't want to work that bad. I was getting on the foot. I was in Austin, hang out here.
Speaker 4: A little longer, and then I got the job in Cleveland. I went to Cleveland. Buffalo was so bad with the Cleveland this is, man, this is the same bad got the flats down little. That's how bad was. That's how bad Buffalo was. Now I'm in the newsroom meeting Nate.
Speaker 3: I'm in the newsroom meeting and and the guy says the news Hey, I know some of you are here taking guns on your side.
Speaker 4: You can't bring your personal gun work, and you don't know what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna get on the plane tomorrow and I'm never coming back, never coming back. Then that night they made me be a part of the studio audience for the Steve Tasker Show. I fell asleep Steven in Buffalo man. All right, nickton give me your position.
Speaker 2: Coach man. I had two of them.
Speaker 7: That was great man, offensive lineman Tony Wise. Of course, Tony Wise was a ball of energy, and uh we tried to switch him over our blocking schemes and he looked at us. He said, fellas, love you to death work, which anyway I can. But he went to cussing about his style, the way he wanted things done, and he said, you know what, never threatening you, guys, but if you feel you can't do this, I'll get Jimmy to get you out of here. But we started deuced blocking like because once again a guy that was straightforward. I love you to death, right forward. Same way with Hudson Hawk. Nick, you're gonna drop, step, I don't you gonna drop. Before it was over, I was in shint, drop stepping and running up. I like guys straightforward guys.
Speaker 2: You have the talent to do it, do it. And I love guys like that to straight forward, tell you what it is and you have the talent to do it, do it.
Speaker 4: And they appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then they gonna look out for you because you're giving it all you have to them. That's what I like about they They're like, okay, I can depend on this guy. They there's something they have trust from your you know, between the coaching player. That's amazing. It's like it's a relationship now. I say Jeans Starters was tough when when he uh was coaching in Dallas. UH he was all about conditioning, which we needed. He was like, man, I'm gonna run you all to death, and he was. He did not lie, and I was accustomer that because of grammar, and that's that's all we did.
Speaker 4: So I came in in shape. I wasn't worried about that.
Speaker 5: But as far as technique and as far as being real with you, Belichick wasn't as threatened by his higher ups as Jane was by his high ups. And that's not Jeane's fault. Jane was just a victim of the system. Ernie Stout, victim of the system. Those guys. I never bring up some old ass name, But that was Tom's system. That was Tom system. Everything that we did was Tom system. Flex defense, flex defense.
Speaker 2: And it won no flex in how he did things.
Speaker 4: It was no flex. No.
Speaker 3: But to your point where Bill Belichick like he was very straightforward when I wasn't signed with the with the Patriots. He brought me in his office and he said, listen, can you do X, Y and Z. He's like, I'm not asking to do nothing else. Can you do these three things? Because if you can, you could be a part of this team. If you cannot, don't worry. I'll find one who can't.
Speaker 8: It's literally what he said.
Speaker 4: He said, don't worry. He's looked at me like, you can't. Don't worry. I'm just gonna find somebody else who can. And right, like, no, for real, for real, that's real.
Speaker 3: And you're talking about how he was at practice like he was so Bill Belichick used to do things where I love the way that he he made competition. He would have a coach come tell me before practice, a, uh, you know, it's really coming down between you and this other guy, so you know, might want to have a good practice today. So now, but he had the dB coach say the same thing to his guys. So now we already have this natural wide receiver the dB deal.
Speaker 4: But now I'm in competition with the guy he just told me about.
Speaker 3: But then you would get on the practice field and he would do things like practice will start things will be going, he'll blow the whistle. He didn't like coaches on the field because he said you couldn't do it in the game. Get off the field. But then he'll go, Tom Brady out with the ankle injury, give me the number three quarterback. And now you're a number three quarterback and you have to go in there and finish out the rest of the period as the number one guy. And I'm like, oh, stop. He'll come up to you.
Speaker 4: He goes, hey, we're.
Speaker 3: Playing the jutch this week. Tell me about the outside linebacker. And you're like, uh, if you don't know, He's like, oh, I can't trust you because you don't know the point that you're going up against. It's Wednesday, and you can't tell me about the outside linebacker for the New York that's that we're about to play cool.
Speaker 4: And give you on the bench.
Speaker 5: Now, that's head coach Belichick right as head coach Belichick, defensive coordinator Belichick, he had his more of a simple plan because he's a defensive coordinator. He's not a head coach, so he was he would have that on lock. He had defensive coordinatorship on lock. He had nobody else talked to nobody else to go to. Pars Sales let him run his defense the way he ran because paus Sales is all about the running game. Offensive running game. That's what paus Sales does. And he let Belichick do what Belichick need to do. And in fact, by the fact, when when I first met both of them, I called Bill Parcelles, I mean, I want to come up here and play.
Speaker 4: I can I can help you out win. He got that front seven. I can pick off some balls, man, perfect match. And so we ended up doing that.
Speaker 5: And when it came down to it, Belichick understood that I was good for that team right away.
Speaker 4: Par Sales didn't think I was good for the team. Belichick came in.
Speaker 5: He knew I was good for that defense. Parceales, I'm making predictions like a Muhammad Ali part. Sales never impressed once again. East Coast type the butler you know in New Jersey. I whatever, kid, and he's like, meet my defensive coordinator, Belichick, come on, and Bill Belichick was smiling from ear to ear. He was happy to see me because he does this. He'll take some dude. Nobody want to deal with no more myself, Rodney Harrison, Guys, like that. Put him in there and put them in there to make plays not just for yourself but for the team. Because those plays you make for yourself, those plays are gonna be good.
Speaker 2: For my defense every.
Speaker 7: Fellas, That's why I would never ever Me and Jess are gonna bump heads. I hope we keep doing shows forever. Every run known to man Coach par Sales knew and he didn't care how bad it got. He was gonna run because he was not gonna let you crush his offensive mind. Yo, Mike McCarthy, every run known, I'm telling because you are crushing your offensive line and in the long run, that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna pay for it.
Speaker 4: That's right. You've always said that, you always, You've said that more than once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got our break coming up, last one after six games. Who are the Pro Bowl players potentially on this roster?
Speaker 2: What Aiden Hutchison was into this?
Speaker 4: This roster? Do it next with Jesse, Holly Everson, Walt Snake Knew.
Speaker 3: This is Lounge brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming on Dallascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 4: Hey Danny mccraig, here for Smoothie King.
Speaker 6: You know, every great workout deserves a great reward, So treat yourself right with new coconut smoothie bowls made with real fruit, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, creamy coconut and top with the chocolate, hazel nut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and the workout buddy, so you both can stay on track even after you leave the track. Scoop up new Cocomus movie bows only a Smoovie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: To kick off the twenty twenty four NFL season, Boss teamed up with the Cowboys and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection. The Boss Cowboys Collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Arriving just in time for the start of the season, the distinctive attire from the latest Boss Cowboys expansion offers sports officionados and true bosses the chance to show their team spirit and style. Get yours today at NFL, SHF dot com, slash hugo Boss, Hugo, Boss dot Com and Boss retail stores hashtag be your Own Boss.
Speaker 10: Raising Canes presents the other rules of football. Rule one. Any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkle cut fries, texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Canes when it comes to winning game day Canes rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one Love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 4: To the players loude.
Speaker 3: This final segment of the books by the DCU Cowboydnation dollas Cowboys are Noted, presented by Globe Line is now the exclusive now exclusive pleading. The Cowboys app joined the Official fan Club today to receive access to all the new Cowboys drop features, team news and pre sell access and fans and kids of the game. Download the app now to join.
Speaker 4: You got through that.
Speaker 3: We transitioned from from the Cowboys are going back to call.
Speaker 2: He gave a new meaning to stand by.
Speaker 3: I gotta pay premium to see that episode. You gotta pay up what was it called the Patreon price?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir? All right?
Speaker 3: Players by Aristocrat game got Nate Newton ever since e go Way. I'm going to start with you, Jesse, for this last question of the show. As we are Final Players Podcast of the Week. As it stands after six games, who are the Pro Bowl players on this team?
Speaker 4: In your opinion? You got to move him back. You got to move him back.
Speaker 3: If you move Tyler Smith back to left guard, he is a dominant Pro Bowl player. If you leave him out there at tackle, he's better than Tyler Geiton. But you still have a hole because he's only okay average, a little bit above average at tackle. He's first team All Pro at guard. So if you if I'm saying that, if you move him back to his position at left guard, Tyler Smith is a Pro Bowl player.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you got one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good one. That's a good number. That's all I got.
Speaker 5: If I was gonna pick anyone, uh, Donovan Wilson.
Speaker 4: Pro Bowl, Pro Bowl. No, No, you can go with nobody. Then you got nobody. It is what it is. I said, that's nobody. Okay, what you got?
Speaker 2: You know what, man, I you know I've been a Cowboy fans.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, tight end Ferguson. I'll give I'll get a fergus On.
Speaker 2: They haven't thrown you ball enough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's that caliber player, but they haven't thrown the balling up. And I feel so bad. For the first time in my life, I could, I could say the Cowboys don't have anybody that deserves even consideration.
Speaker 4: That that hurts at this point.
Speaker 6: No one.
Speaker 2: I'm serious. I'm telling you.
Speaker 7: Even our left guard has had some plays where I was like, Wow, this thing is leaking.
Speaker 4: Over on to him. Nobody saying nothing about it.
Speaker 7: I'm serious, go back. It's the thing that is bothering. I remember when our team was going through that one in fifteen three and thirteen, we had players we thought were Pro Bowler are All Pro players.
Speaker 2: And then when at the end of the year when all the people that came.
Speaker 4: Out that were the Pro Bowlers and All Pro be like, yeah he is.
Speaker 2: He was that guy.
Speaker 7: See, because you gotta understand where we love Tyler Smith. It's true guards that just left out of here, that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Get votes ahead of him, both.
Speaker 7: Tacked guards for the Lions are gonna get consideration if things keep going and no injuries and we keep going how we going, because what hurts us it's the same things that help us. When we are rolling, we get votes from everywhere. But when things go bad for the Cowboys, we are hated. And when people get a chance to take some of our better players and not position them, I promise you this man should be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: Why is he not?
Speaker 4: All? Right? Guys, missed one guy you're talking to?
Speaker 2: Kicker?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Kicker, the m v P of the team. Yeah, the Mark Moseley the other team, right, he is one hundred.
Speaker 4: Good job the first team All Pro. That's good job. That's the first team All Pro. Yeah, And that tells you the state of this football team. That tells you the state of this football team.
Speaker 3: That the one guy that we could without a shadow of a doubt say this is a pro bowler is the guy most of us, not you, but the players we looked at and go kicker, we don't even respect the like that we like, my head look at because asked players like y'all just over there.
Speaker 4: But you appreciate those threes and gives. I should appreciate him.
Speaker 7: Guys on the weekends loved the fantasy They loved him as a fantasy guy.
Speaker 2: But I told I got into it with a guy.
Speaker 7: I said, if we are kicking sixty yards, we are losing. That's right, I said, you would never I told the guy who does the show here, I said, you would never understand that. As a player, you would get excited about fantasy football, but you would never understand I don't like sixty yard field goals. I'm losing. When I'm kicking sixty yard field.
Speaker 5: You're normally not in scoring position. Yeah, I mean you saved that you get you're trying to get saved. Yeah yeah, so I that's a good one, but that hurts you. You're worth your worth your weight and goals on that one. But held that one like that was alright, the big joker.
Speaker 2: He was holding.
Speaker 4: He was holding it too.
Speaker 2: Bob Lily was the only guy.
Speaker 4: We at least had. Bob Lily. Yeah, you picked the one white guy. You picked the white guy soccer player.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, finance guy, the finance guys.
Speaker 4: Before we leave, if you don't mind, knew it?
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 5: I got a call from Roy Green yesterday, former Saint Louis card On wide receiver, my nemesis.
Speaker 2: I love you, Rod for two reasons.
Speaker 3: Stayed in the old days of Bush team to catching pass from Jim Harten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, on my ass and uh Neil Lomax. And yeah, it got really bad when Neil came because he could throw it further. But uh, I look around here a little bit every once in a while. I try not to because my left ankle pretty much got fractured one play nineteen eighty five Thanksgiving. I think we were playing the Saint Louis Cardinals. This is when Roy and I told him this. He kicked my ass all the time, but in eighty five the injury start to build up on him, and that gave me a chance to catch up and do decent this particular play they went. He went deep on me for one on a few times that I was, you know, had to cover. Lomax threw the ball up, easy ball. He's hanging up there for me. All I got to do is go up and catch it.
Speaker 4: I'm going up for it.
Speaker 5: Next thing, you know, I see this hand come across, not just knock the hell out of me. Landed on my back and we both landed on that ankle. I'm not coming out the game. I didn't come out the game. But that's what the wide receiver it does. I asked him, I said, why did you do that? He said, I'm taking up for my quarterback. I'm playing up. I'm just telling you. I'm just telling you that. I'm just telling you. I said, I see what you do. I'm telling you what he said. Because it was so timely, it was just so he called me. I didn't call him.
Speaker 4: It was so timed. I said, I said, let me ask you something. What did you think?
Speaker 5: He said, Man, you got to take up for your quarterback at all times. At all times, that's what he said. You got to take up for your quarterback.
Speaker 4: Did y'all? Did you hang out with Neil Lomax. No, I didn't hang out with Neil Lomax.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: He was like, I think he's like five years older than Neil Lomack. She got it. He said, I always take up for my quarterback.
Speaker 3: Because we now need to go listen to the end of yesterday's Players Lounge and did will tie into exactly what Everson Walls is saying.
Speaker 4: We all know it. We're just gonna let it marinate right there.
Speaker 3: And if you really really want to understand what Roy Green was saying about Neil Lomax to protect your quarterback, listen to the show yesterday.
Speaker 2: Roykan got my boy.
Speaker 4: Yeah that.
Speaker 2: Getting off the tea.
Speaker 4: Scrugs York. Everyone will talk one Monday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Coowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.