Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: A lot of it has been made of the Chiefs. They're villains, and I keep thinking, are they villains? You know when you talk about a villain, I think about the Bad Boys, the Pistons, like like they were villains, but they embraced it.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: You know, there's certain wrestlers who like being the villain. But you know, what is a villain? I have the definition, but I want you to hear from Travis Kelsey was on his podcast with his brother and talking about embracing being a villain in the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: At one point, at one point in time, you know, it wasn't that and.
Speaker 2: You were the sender.
Speaker 3: You guys were the dollars in the NFL.
Speaker 5: I was the do you feel bad for him?
Speaker 2: Guys and you're not the helm.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm enjoying. I'm enjoying doing this with the guys together, the guys that we have in there, because it's it's like it just makes us even more of a family.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the New High Podcasts with the brothers. A villain is a character person who is intentionally evil or harmful to others. Villains can be fictional or based on real people. So the intentional part of that, are they intentionally evil? Are they intentionally good or great? I think they came along at a time we were like, yeah, somebody other than the Patriots, and then all of a sudden, it's like, now we're waiting for somebody other than the Kansas City Chiefs. But I mean Patrick Mahomes not a villain. Kelsey, Andy Reid, Chris Jones, I don't get it. I think we're tired of the story. And that's natural for sports fans. It's like, okay, somebody else. Boy, we're really rooting for Buffalo or we're rooting against Kansas City because we want somebody else in there. Buffalo would be great, you know, Baltimore would be great. We want somebody else in there. This happens with dynasties. We get tired, same stories, same people. Everybody's doing commercials. It's a big deal. Every game is the nationally televised game. It's the big one on Sunday night or Sunday afternoon on Fox or CBS. So we're so familiar with this story that that's why we wanted something else. Even the Eagles, you know, we had them in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. We're very familiar with the Eagles. Now you got Sakwuon Barkley. Okay, you can root for them. And I never thought I would hear, you know, the national audience saying, yeah, I guess I'll root for the Eagles. You know, it's like Notre Dame or Duke Basketball, uh, somebody other than them. Then Notre Dame became likable this year. It's like, oh, you know, there's a national audience that's going, hey, I kind of like Notre Dame this year. So then I'm not buying. But Kansas City should embrace it because it's there, it's real, and you know, fans want to see Kansas City. I don't know if they want to see the Eagles win as much as they want to see Kansas City lose. They want to see what happens with Travis Kelce when he's walking off the field, Taylor Swift, Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid. But I look at this as extremely skilled football. All three phases. They just do it right and I can't argue about that. I can't complain about that. Do they get calls? Is the perception they're getting calls, yes, but it's not their fault. You know, if they take advantage of the rules, then change the rules. You know, the Patriots, you could say we're villains because they cheated and they were involved in a couple of nefarious situations there. Their head coach wasn't likable. Brady we embraced because it was an underdog story, Julian Edelman underdogs, like they had so many underdog stories. And then we got tired of them, and then they're cheating, and then all of a sudden you hated to see Brady's face because, you know, the good looking quarterback got the cheerleader and won the championship. Bill Belichick always grumpy even if he won. You know, we got tired of all of that. But I viewed them as villains, not the Kansas City chief So if it helps the Chiefs and Travis Kelcey and you embrace that, then great. But I don't look at them as villains. I look at them as one of the great teams of all time with what they've done this run Mahomes and what he's done historical Andy Reid, what he's done to maybe be he's the guy who couldn't win the big game. Remember, couldn't win the big game? And then he goes to Kansas City. Huh great, Yeah, maybe you'll get to a conference title game. He was good doing that in Philadelphia. Now we're looking at him. Man, guy's an offensive genius. He should be up there with Shula, Belichick, Lombard, I mean, all the greats, and rightfully so. And Mahomes. He's going to be the greatest quarterback of all time probably when it's all said in What did he do wrong? Exactly? I don't know what he did wrong? I mean, is he cocky? Does he get calls? Okay? That doesn't make him a villain? Now, that can make you root against them because they get the calls. You know, Brady got called. The greats get calls, or the perception is they got a call. And they're always on national TV, so you're seeing all this. They don't play one o'clock games, not very often. Every game is magnified. Every game Monday is a referendum on that game and that team.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, I think for Mahomes, I think it's the people around Patrick Mahomes that makes people root against him. It's not even Patrick Mahomes himself. It's the people around him. I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Maybe referencing family members there maybe yeah, yeah, but that doesn't make him a villain. That doesn't make the Chiefs a villain. But I would say most people, if you're not an Eagles fan or a Chiefs fan, you're rooting against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. It probably if you did a football map, I would guess that most of the states would be rooting, maybe not for the Eagles, but against the Kansas City Chiefs. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 6: I think your point was right when you explain what villain means intentional, the word intentional. If you go back to Belichick, especially the last six or seven years of that run, he was difficult with the media on purpose, and it seemed like he got more difficult and it's us against the world, and I'm going to give you a hard time because I've got a handful of rings and he could get away with it. So and also the cheating accusations, some real, some not with the Patriots.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: Villainin a character in a story who opposes the hero A person who is guilty of or likely to commit a crime, A person who is cruel or evil, a person who is blame for a particular evil. Certain villains Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, Darth Vader, the Wicked Witch of the West, the Wicked Witch of the AFC West, Bill Lame Beer h But hey, I don't blame you, embrace it. You might as well. Hey, all right now, they can't say nobody thought we would be here. You know, it's not one of those like their villains are favorites as far as you're not an underdog story, because it's hard to hate a villain who's an underdog. Yes, yes, Neil, I.
Speaker 1: Think they've also been preseason betting favorites for like six.
Speaker 2: Years in a round. Yes, yes, this isn't one of those oh my gosh, heartwarming stories. It's not. But when you think about it, Mahomes was nobody in college. Kelsey was a former quarterback. He played it since an, I mean, came out of nowhere. Nobody knows where Chris Jones went to college. I mean that's why when you start to look at Isaiah Pacheco went to Rutgers Tyreek Hill. Now you know, you could maybe not like Tyreek Hill, but they traded him away and they did a great job finding Tyreek Hill. So I look at that front office unbelievable, plug and play unbelievable. And the constant is your GM, your coach, and your quarterback and not in that order. It should be a story that we embrace or at least we respect. But it's almost like, oh God, this is going to happen on Super Bowl Sunday. There'll be that moment where, oh god, they get all the calls. It's going to happen. And I hate when it happens because then we lose sight even leading up to the Super Bowl. This is going to be a big storyline next week. Oh the villains, people hate us, that's okay? Or people saying, oh, they get all the calls? Are they going to change the rules in the off season? Adam Schefter joins us. Now, Schefty, are they going to change the rules? Yes, help is on the way, Like that's what it's going to be instead of these are two great teams, really really well run. When you look at the GMS, the talent both sides of the ball. Yetto Chiefs are a one and a half point favorite. I mean, this is what you want. You want a super Bowl, You know I used to cover the Super Bowls when it would be how badly is the AFC going to lose? How badly are the Broncos going to lose? Oh it's fifty five to ten. You want all right, sorry, DoD You want competition, you want a great game, and there's so many things at stake. What would a Super Bowl do for Jalen Hurts, Nick Sirianni, Saquon Barklay. We'll talk about that next hour. Add another super Bowl to Andy Reid's resume or Patrick mahomes resume? Does Kelsey retire after a Super Bowl win? Like, there's a lot of great storylines here, and you know, there are times when I can be a cynic, but you know, I still love covering sports. I don't. I hate being the Oh God, they get all the calls. That's not fair. They cheat whatever it might be. They spend more money than any But then you lose sight of what we grew up wanting and we took for granted, there weren't controversies when we were growing up. I don't know if anybody said kind of I hate the Packers in the late sixties, You're like, damn, they're good. Kansas City. Man, they got a weird huddle with Lenny Dawson and Hankstraham. But I like him Joe Namath, Like, that's what you grow up with. I'm okay with a you know, a guy or a team that you want to beat that they're the team to beat. I'm okay. You know, I grew up a UCLA fan, and everybody wanted to beat Ucla. But I like the fact that there was that one team you wanted to beat. The Cowboys for a while, the Packers for a while, the Steelers for a while, the Niners for a while. Man, We're so lucky to have those years where you saw greatness, true greatness.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pauline, I want to ask you a back of the day question before we break. When Joe Namath was going to win the Super Bowl or getting ready to win the Super Bowl, was he beloved embraced by the national sports fans or was he like, oh, this cocky guy from this upstart league.
Speaker 2: I think that since they were eighteen point underdogs, that there was a like a snickering curiosity of damn, can't believe he guaranteed they were going to beat the Colts. And you know, he had long hair, so he looked like he was, you know, the fifth Beatle. But when you watched him play at white shoes and then if he was not able to play, had this big fur white fur coat on, and so there was a curiosity. But I don't know if he was warmly embraced. I think because I grew up as an AFC AFL fan, I should say an AFL fan, So I loved that they were wide open football. The NFL was boring. It was like three yards here and here's a suite for four yards and there's a seven yard touchdown. Like it was boring. The AFL it was awesome. It was like the ABA. It was fun. And then you know, the same thing happened in the NBA. The NBA looked at the ABA and go, man, they're doing some fun things. The NFL did that with the AFL. Bring those teams in, they're having fun, the Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, the Jets. So you know, this just goes along. You know, this is history. Every few years it's that guy or that team or both. And that's what's to me great about this. It's why I still love coming to work every day. You have these stories, they're fun, Embrace them.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows a Foxsportsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 8: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 7: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven PM Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We make way for Vincent Goodwill, one of our favorites covering the NBA. Yahoo's Sports Senior NBA writer, host of the Good Word podcast. Great to have you on again. Not sure how you reacted to Commissioner Silver saying an idea that he liked, not that he's pushing for it, not that it's going to happen next season. Ten minute quarters, forty minute games, your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Man, people come on your show, and all of a sudden you ask crazy questions, you get crazy answers, and all of a sudden you get aggregated because the commissioner comes on your show and behaves like he's not the commissioner but like he's a fan that's watching the game and saying, Ah, these damn games are too long. I can't stay awake all for two and a half hours. How about this, here's a radical idea, Commissioner Silver and Commissioner Dan Patrick, how about we eliminate these reviews. When I'm at in an arena and these reviews take fifteen minutes. I'm exaggerating slightly for something that we can all see. I know we want to get calls, right, I know we want to We have all these different angles and you know, if it touched the fingertip of someone's finger when it went off of the other guy's hand, like that type of thing. There's ways you can expedite the process of the game without messing with the structural integrity and history of the game. And you know me, I live in the crates. We don't have to we don't have to shorten this. And how about we stop telling people that something is wrong with the game. If you're telling people something is wrong with the game, then people will start believing that something is wrong with the game.
Speaker 2: But his goal is international global domination. Where you play this in the Olympics, and you play this in the euro League. You know probably seven of your top ten players are from Europe or outside the United States. So maybe looking at uniform normity there, and look, I'm not forid er against it, but I'm open to it, Dan, that's the difference. I'm open to it.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 4: Why do those foreign players play in the NBA and not in the euroleagues.
Speaker 2: Because they make more money over here.
Speaker 4: Okay, so if this is the standard, then you set the standard here, you don't follow the standard. I believe it was the wise philosopher JJ Reddick. We set that last night, and I've never said those words in concert. Philosopher JJ Reddick.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve, Steve Kerr said you gotta open your mind. You got to be open minded to this.
Speaker 4: Why is it always the NBA that has to make these radical changes? Like baseball is nine innings? The NFL is.
Speaker 2: Baseball did a pitch count a clock? Oh my god, people went crazy. They made the vibit is larger. People went crazy. The kickoffs in the NFL, people went crazy.
Speaker 4: Is it still twenty seven outs?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, is it still twenty seven? It is twenty seven out?
Speaker 4: I would I'm just curious it's still twenty seven outs. And my thing is with the NBA as a whole, there's always this appearance that something is wrong and it has to be fixed. There's tweaks that you make, there's ways to get ahead. They're behind on this three point stuff, right, Dan. They are severely behind on all this three point stuff. But when you talk about the history, the integrity of the game. I know I'm an old young person, but I don't have a problem with the game being forty eight minutes. How about this, Dan, here's a novel concept. If the game starts at seven thirty. How about the game actually starts at seven thirty and not seven forty five? Not a cut off some time for TV?
Speaker 2: Wait, this is.
Speaker 4: Not that hard?
Speaker 2: Is that your Chris Rock impersonation?
Speaker 3: It little bit?
Speaker 2: It kind of sounded like that. Why don't you started at seven point thirty? Okay? Do you have a tweak for the three point line?
Speaker 4: Two things that I would entertain, one a little more serious than others. The corner three is such a shot that everybody aims towards right because it's so much shorter than the other three point line? Can we make the line across the way? Can we widen the floor, which we know we won't do because you got to sell those expensive tickets. So if you're not going to widen the floor, eliminate the corner three? Or Dan, the best idea for me, how about we allow to hand check on the perimeter. That way, you don't give up the easy switches where you have bigs running out at guards. That compromises the integrity of your defense, and you give defenses a chance. It's not so much that the three point shot is taken in abundance, it's that it's the easier shot to take because defenses don't get a chance to run at you, when if they do run at you, you wind up getting flagrant files or something like that. Because you can test the jump shot, you're not giving defenses a chance. So if you give someone a little arball, maybe they'll be more likely to explore the other real estate. There's some good real estate in the middle of the floor. No matter what the nerves tell you, a sixteen foot shot is far easier than a twenty foot shot. But if you notice two, then dudes are not taught to shoot that. So when they get in the sixteen foot range, they throw up these crappy floaters as opposed to shooting an actual jump shot. If the game is broken, the game is broken in the way that is being taught, not the way that's being played at this level.
Speaker 2: Vincent Goodwill, yahoo's Sports senior NBA writer, host of The Good Word Podcast. I've said for years we need to widen the floor a little bit because the corner three. You know what you talked about. How about we limit the number, we cap the number of threes your team can take at twenty five. Therefore, the people you want to take the three will, the better shooters will take the threes, And now it becomes a little bit more of an economical game of when do you take those three and when do you not?
Speaker 4: My problem with that, Dan is if a player gets on a heater, right, if Stephen Curry is on a heater, they theoretically theoretically right. But I don't want to strut like the NFL saying you can only throw forty passes a game because you got to run the ball thirty times. Like, there has to be good decision making in this, not saying you can only do this a certain amount of time. You want to be stupid and take fifty three is a game, Go ahead and be stupid. I'm not going to prevent you from your stupidity. It's just the league. What the league's problem is on this front, Dan, is the league's job. They assume that structurally and from an entertainment standpoint, that the executives and the coaches and the analytics people are looking out for the best interests of the game and how it looks esthetically. That's the league's job. Those other people, they're looking for ways to cheat the system. Like Dan, when I was in college and I was, you know, a broke college student, I was looking for ways to sneak inside the cafeteria when nobody was watching. That's not on that's on me to try to beat the system. It's on you to fix the system.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get to the those players. Give me the biggest snub and if you give me a name, who are you taking off the roster? Because that's the way it works. Although most people just say somebody got snubbed, who are you taking off? Vincent, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I hate the people who say, oh, such as such get snubbed and then we get an All Star team with twenty eyes, right, I will say that if I won't say if the Mantas, Sabonis and Sacramento got snubbed. But to me, that's the guy that I'm looking and I'm like, yeah, I can see why he has a strong case. Leena Ligan rebounding. The Kings are above five hundred. They've been a winning team as of late since the firing of Mike Brown. But I'm not taking off our permission going I'm not putting Trey Young on the All Star team, like I'm not putting Lamello Ball on the All Star team. If this were I would say this, Dan, if this were an actual All Star game with great defense and you're going to need some creativity, somebody's going to do something wild and crazy to shake it up. Give me Lamello Ball, give me Trey Young. But as far as how they've played their effect on winning, what the numbers say, beyond the row statistics, I think By and Lars, the coaches got it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would take James Harden off.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to necessarily argue with I think he's had a good I think he's had a really good year in LA fourteen that we didn't expect much from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sacramento with Sabona, I mean, it's hard to argue those numbers. I mean, he gets he gets overshadowed by Djok when it comes to all points and rebounds and assists, Well, nobody compares to him but James Harden.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think this is a great James Harden year. By James Harden standards. We're talking about arguably maybe one of the top five or six shooting guards in league's history. You know what I mean, Like when you zoomd and you look at what he's done, the effect on the game, not necessarily aesthetically in what he's accomplished from a team standpoint, but when he's done, you're gonna look at, say, man, James Harden was really good. It's just I think this Clippers team has been much better than people expected. There was a case for Norm Powell on that very team, who's leading the team in scoring. So I'm not gonna argue with you on that one. Dan. I know we come and spar a little bit. I don't really have an argument if you say James Harden off and the Matta Sabonis on that might be the only one. But I'm not going to the wall for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me, give me somebody who's moved at the trade deadline that we care about.
Speaker 4: Man, Look, we all know that Jimmy Butler and this Miami heat thing is going to you know look that Look, all that's left for pat Ryer to do is to kiss Jimmy and say you broke my heart. And put them on a plane to Havana or something like that. Like that's all that's left, right, right, I think that's all that's left essentially for Bubet. He has to be Dan this. If there's a question to ask Adam Silver, it is are you comfortable with these standoffs between players and teams, legacy players and legacy franchises that gum up the attention of the season. So yeah, Jimmy Butler should be gone. And pat Riley in the Miami Heat I wrote about it. I know people don't like hearing about it and saying about it. They are just as culpable as Jimmy Butler's activities for the situation. They should have moved him the second they told him, we're not going to give you an extension. That's the way it goes in the NBA. If your star player does not feel appreciated, he wants an extension, you're not going to give it to him, no matter how much you're paying him. You trade him to prevent something like this, because if nothing else, we know Jimmy Butler's movies, he's going You know that. You know that, Jeff. You're probably online. Dan, there's like someone on a swing and there's a building burning behind him.
Speaker 2: I'm running out of time. Vincent, Vincent Goodwill. Yeah, Who's Sports.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Jim Gaffigan currently on his Everything Is Wonderful Tour. You can check out the new special The Skinny, now streaming on Hulu as we make way for that former college football great Jim Gaffigan back on the program. All the memories, the older you get, the better you were in college, Jim.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's one of those things where I I you know, I literally didn't barely played. So but it is a nice little fact that is like an asterisk next to my name and there's a picture of me when I walked on at Purdue. But I was literally there for two weeks. And now people are like, yeah, the Big ten football player.
Speaker 2: I remember that game he played against Ohio State. He was incredible. Jimmy Gaffigan was all over the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just sad that I didn't play in the NFL, you know, even though I didn't really even play a divisionwide A.
Speaker 2: Lot of hair back then too.
Speaker 3: I had some hair back there that was really good old days of hair, and you know, energy stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when people see you out, Let's say you're walking into New York and you know Sally and Tommy from Tulsa come up and go Jim Gaffigan, how much pressure do you have to be funny in the moment? Like did you have a go to joke or line that you say?
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes people will say you look like Jim Gaffigan, and I'll go, I hope I do that. Guy's good luck here, you know. But otherwise, you know, usually I find that I get a lot of if it's a really beautiful woman that comes up to me and has like a certain excitement, they use really always say my grandfather is a big fan. There's it's you know, there's going to be something to take the air out of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there part of you? Some comedians like to go up there and kind of in the moment make up something or degree of difficulty where they don't want to go as scripted. Are you one of those method comedians?
Speaker 3: You know? At different times. I mean that's where I think a really good audience when it's really flowing. That's when kind of magic hits. You know. I don't want to sound like Bono. You know, it's not like the Holy Spirit is coming down and giving me words, but there is something of when you're in front of an audience that understands your sensibility and you can kind of play and uh, it's like joking around with friends. It's yeah, it really can be great.
Speaker 2: Give me the joke you wish you had written.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, I love you know. Larry Miller had the Five Stages of Drinking, which I think is really brilliant. I don't know if you're familiar with that, but he also has Larry Miller has a very matter of fact delivery. He's kind of one of the best from that eighties era. I love George Carlin's Chunk on Suicide, which is just so dark and so perfectly George carl And he goes right now somewhere someone's getting ready to kill themselves, you know what I mean, And just he goes through someone trying to plan their own suicide and just you know, I can't do it. That day, I got a meeting with Mavis and stuff like this, Mom's coming over. Maybe I should do it when Mom's coming over. So it's just really dark and cynical, and he does it with such glee. It's so amazing.
Speaker 2: Do you can you give us the five stages of drinking?
Speaker 3: Well, the five stages Larry Miller's five stages, which people should google. It's because I'm gonna not do it. Justice is the It's it's a it's it's familiar. It's like you go, you know, You're like, you're gonna go out with friends during the week. You're gonna have a drink, and then you'll be home by blank, you know, by eight, you'll be in bed by ten, and then before you know it, then it's the second stage. You know, it's it's midnight and you're like, all right, that's fine. If I go home right now, I can get five hours of sleep. And then the next stage is like you're drinking some blue liquid that you all you know is they clean combs with it in the barbershop, and besides, you don't even need to sleep. You're gonna tough it through. Then the next stage is you're driving to Florida. And then the next stage is you've met a woman who has a tattoo that says something ridiculous and she's the most beautiful woman you've ever met. And then then he talks about like the last age is when you're you leave the bar and the sun's out and it's just, you know, you feel like you're walking on the surface of the sun. It's it's simply brilliant and neat and tidy and encompasses everyone who's had that regret.
Speaker 2: You know, did you get into bad situations habits when you're on the road before you got married?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I mean, you know, the for me, I actually never really I went through a period where for about ten years I didn't I didn't drink or do anything because I you know, when I had a day job and I was taking acting classes and I was doing stand up at night. I would get sick once a month. So I was like, I'm just going to get rid of drinking. And so I you know, really I almost kind of started drinking when I got married. But I go through different phases. You know, now I'm now I'm I'm a bourbon drinker, and you know that would you know ten years ago that would never be the case.
Speaker 2: So have you gone on stage having been drinking? No?
Speaker 3: No, I can't really. I'm such a low energy guy that I can't really even eat that much before I go on stage because I'm so slow talking.
Speaker 2: He's Jim Gaffigan, the comedian, actor, writer, producer, author. Damn, that's a lot of things there, are you truly all of those?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know it's you know, you write a book. You know, it's like, am I an author? Or did I, you know, complain about my kids for.
Speaker 2: One hundred He is currently on his Everything Is Wonderful tour, and you can also check out his new special The Skinny, now streaming on Hulu. How often do your kids your wife saying, hey, don't make this part of your act because things happen naturally at home where you go.
Speaker 3: That's funny, Yeah, it's there's no I mean, first of all, I never ask, hopefully my kids would care more about if I posted a photo that they appeared in than me referencing. And I also have five kids, so when I reference a son, it can be one of the three sons, and or if I reference a kid, it can be one of five. So there is plausible deniability for each of them. But you know, when it comes to the wife, that's that's a different thing. And you know there is you know, you know the days of Henny Youngman, like take my Wife. You know that you have to craft it in a way because you know an audience is savvy and and you know, a guy complaining about his wife is considered hack and and people are suspicious of it. So but you can craft it in a way where you just kind of pile on yourself a little bit and then you can throw up, you know, something at your wife here and there.
Speaker 2: First comedian you saw and you said, that's what I want to do.
Speaker 3: I think I remember seeing Jonathan Winters on I think MERV Griffin or something like that. But uh, yeah, there was something really funny about him. You know, it was all self contained and it wasn't the jokes were kind of hidden that I thought was really interesting, But I don't know. Sometimes it's it's a blur, you know. And also being from Indiana seeing Letterman on TV, it just he was hit. Him and John Mellencamp were the only people that like were from Indiana that it seemed to do anything. Obviously it's not true, but like to the Teenage Meet, it was like, wow, those are the two guys that got out.
Speaker 2: What was it like the first time you were on Letterman?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's you know, it was you know, the business has changed so much, but it was the threshold of status among uh, particularly New York comedians. But I would say comedians at that time. It was, you know, the credit that everyone wanted because if you you know, the first ten years I was doing stand up. Obviously it's different today, but if you said you were a stand up, they would say have you been on Letterman or the Tonight Show? And if you said no, they'd kind of look at you like, oh, uh, you're crazy, you know what I mean? Or you're just saying that you're a comedian. So it gave you legitimacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then to hear Dave laugh if you're a stand up comedian, or if Johnny Carson brought the comedian over and you got to sit down next to Johnny, then you had made it like now, yeah, he had separated you absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I feel like I was the last one of my comedy peer group that really got a late night show, and it was Letterman, and I was invited over to sit on the couch afterwards, and I got a development deal. Dave and Worldwide pants, and Robert Att gave me a development deal, and that really shifted a lot of things because if Letterman thought you were funny, then people in the entertainment industry were much more open to viewing you as talented, because it's the entertainment industry is so risk averse, Like we have this notion that people are discovered in soda shops, but like really that, you know, people try and eliminate any risk.
Speaker 2: Obviously, we'll have fun on the road. Jim Gaffigan a man of many hats. Well he's got one hat on, but he's a comedian, actor, writer, producer, author, and a football legend. The new special The Skinny, now streaming on Hula. Thanks Jim, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's Jim Gaffiga.