Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 4: A right, good morning, and welcome to Breaking Points. As we continue our live stream that began last night thirty pm.
Speaker 1: We took a slight break. We're back. We have some results in which we'll get into.
Speaker 5: You might as well actually have just had someone else. I should have done a third shift. Yes, we should have covered until this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then where was Sager.
Speaker 4: Saga do the twelve thirty You could have the red light on from twelve thirty to seven thirty and then we'll pick up.
Speaker 5: That would be a disaster for his woops. Yes, it would so we couldn't. We couldn't have the.
Speaker 1: Ring would be screaming for weeks.
Speaker 5: Would not be good? Would not be good. Crystal is with us as well. Ryan is going to run after the first couple of blocks, so we're lucky.
Speaker 6: What about my whoop score? Okay?
Speaker 2: Does anyone care? Do you anyone care about what my fitbit is telling me this morning?
Speaker 6: That's what I want to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not quite the same, Crystal. Well, if you want to get even more of this lively banter, sign up for the newsletter at breakingpoints dot com. It's a wonderful place. Breaking Points dot com is where you can get access to the free newsletter and you can sign up for a premium subscription as well. The newsletter, of course, is where you can just read details that we're going through every show, see some of the links that we're working off of. And there's free month trials all for for all month, you can get Breaking Points Trial for free breakingpoints dot com, so you get access to the premium version of the Breaking Points experience as What's.
Speaker 2: Right and just so people know when you go there, To be honest with you, when I looked at the website, I was a little confused. There's no like thing that says free monthly trial. You just go and sign up and you get the month for free. That's how that works. So pretty good deal for everybody. If you've been interested in trying it out, now is your chance. And we've got not only election results, we've got stuff happening in Iran. We are now bailing out the Japanese Yen, so that's interesting, all because of again the Iran war.
Speaker 6: We've got a major.
Speaker 2: Epstein slash media slash banking scandal that is being broken open by Ron Wyden.
Speaker 6: We've got more.
Speaker 2: Developments in the Max Miller saga. Bernie Moreno, his father in law coming forward. We had a big Jag Tapper interview, a photo of his daughter that was among the dropbox files that was released.
Speaker 6: So a lot to get to there.
Speaker 2: And then we haven't actually delved into this, but Trump was very very mad at Janine Piro because she had the audacity to drop the charges against this guy that he claimed had messed up his beautiful reflecting pool. And actually she's dropped a number of charges against a number of people at this point. So interesting to dig into that palace intrigue.
Speaker 6: I suppose, Yeah, that will.
Speaker 5: Be interesting because Trump and Janina Piro that is one of the most beautiful, long lasting relationships. So I must discuss perhaps tells a little bit of what's happening inside of the White House as well. Now, chrysl and Ryan, you guys were up late. I was surprised at how long the stream went last night, but we didn't have a lot of closure. We didn't have a lot of clear information coming out actually of the big Michigan race. Hailey Stevens and Abdul l sayed, it's still really close, with Abdul in first place for now, looking like that's going to hold steady. But let's start by going over to Michigan here and looking at some of the results as you guys were covering it last night, tell us how the night was transpiring a little bit closer than people expected.
Speaker 2: It looks like, oh yeah, so maybe we should start with a one C, which shows you what the holes were leading into last night.
Speaker 6: They were across the board.
Speaker 2: I mean, we were getting Abdul plus nineteen plus seventeen plus sixteen all in double digits with a lead for him, and so it seemed like all the momentum was on his side, like he really opened up a gap. And again this was every single polster going back.
Speaker 6: You know what do we have there?
Speaker 2: Like ten different poles that all had him with this double digit lead. And that's the way the night started off. It looked like it was on trend for this kind of a blowout win for him. And then a batch of results came in from the Detroit area and these were the absentee votes where Hayley Stevens was really racking up large percentages. And Ryan can talk a little bit more about why that is. Those are basically the people who had just gotten the ads and hadn't seen any of the other pushback against them or been you know, had a chance to be contacted by Abdul's campaign, et cetera. So she was racking up big margins there, and all of a sudden, it went from Abdul having this gigiantic lead to the race being effectively tied. And from there on we were just waiting to see what else would come in from Wayne County. They were very, very very slow in counting, but now we can put a one up on the screen. NBC News has called it Abdul l Sayad will be the Democratic nominee for the Senate in Michigan. He has you know, he is declared victory. Mallory McMorrow, who said she would go ahead and endorse whoever ended up getting the nomination, she has now endorsed Abdul and is backing him.
Speaker 5: So, uh so, can we definitely not on that just for a second. That shows Mallary McMorrow got four percent of the vote. The NBC News said this, which is all this.
Speaker 2: Race kind of significant because it's a larger margin than the difference between them.
Speaker 6: Now the confounding factors.
Speaker 2: I don't actually know who that benefits, because it seemed like her supporters were fairly evenly split between McMorrow and between Steven's and Abdullah Sayad. But in any case, she decided to keep her name on the ballot, and that may have ended up being a significant factor in the outcome of this race.
Speaker 4: Right Yeah, And the absentee ballots, you know, those are heavily kind of nursing homes and senior centers, and it's a it's a place where the organized Democratic establishment, to its credit, still has the capacity to kind of to galvanize that that vote and that went overwhelmingly for Stevens, where whereas the rest of it, as you said, kind of came out kind of a kind of a wash. You know, close enough that Abdullahl size is likely. New York Times is saying it's still too close to call. And I wonder if some of that is the kind of wishful thinking on the part of the editors versus kind of overruling the data folks who are like, yeah, well, it's kind of it's kind of over guys.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the New York Times, if you look at their analysis, you know, they have all their lego how is so and so doing on their benchmarks and what's likely to happen here? And I think that their analysis is it is very likely that Abdullah side will be the nominee over you know, if you look at the bet apps, they all have them at ninety nine percent. So I think there's not a whole lot of vote left out there, and it's it doesn't look like there's enough that would be pro Haley for her to make up the gap of roughly one point five percentage points here.
Speaker 4: No, it seems like the Polsters need to go back to the land lines because it does seem like they missed the older vote in.
Speaker 1: A significant way.
Speaker 4: Maybe they've gone, you know, too far into the kind of world of texting and online polls. There's still people answering those landlines. Although you know, if you have a landline at this point, it's it's just ringing constantly with spam calls. So, you know, I do sympathize with the polsters, but this was this is a you know, this was a wild miss. You missed by more than ten points.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say, the Real Clear Politics average had all said a ten point two. That's the average of the polls so recent polls. That RCP average had them up fourteen, fifteen, ten, sixteen, and thirteen. Now, the last couple of polls were from the last week of July. I suppose it's possible there was Stephen surge as a bunch of money came in in the waiting days of the race. Is that possibly explained some of the polling gap. I don't know. I mean ten points is a huge miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's more that the universe. To Ryan's point, that they were polling, they just they just underestimated the number of older voters who would be in the electorate. That's some of the at least early analysis I'm seeing here, and look, to be fair to them, it's difficult to know, you know, Zorn and New York completely changed that or electorate, and there's way more young people than you would expect. It's hard to know who's going to turn out in a general election, let alone in a primary election. But for every single one of them to have had this gigantic double digit miss is quite extraordinary, you know, I'm wondering. I'm just thinking about from Look, a win is a win. So the left is looking at that, all right, our guys getting through, you know, and against extraordinary odds. Right, we have to sort of the bar got reset when we started seeing all these polls. It's like, oh, how big is the margin going to be? But we have to keep in mind he was up against what at eleven to one spending deficit, sixty two million dollars came in from Hailey Stevens like they really put everything they could behind her. She ran all the ads making it look like she was endorsed by Obama, which I think, you know, was a clever strategy and I think had certainly had a significant impact they went with, you know, from the the I E. Side, They went with all these ads claiming that Abdul hates Michelle Obama and is a secret sexist. I think that also damaged to him with abortions, the electoral singing your tune there, and then the endorsements that came in for her. You know, you had Jim Clyburn come up, you had Gretchen Whitmer, who had said previously and Gary Peters, who had said previously, we're not going to get involved in this race, and when they saw what direction it was going is actually, we are going to get involved in this race. And Whitmer is a very popular figure, especially with Democrats in the state of Michigan. So they pulled out all of the stops here, from the money, the endorsements, the ads, the you know, the sort of cynical direction, the weaponization of identity, and the sowing of discord between you know, Arabs and Muslims in the Detroit area. Like they did it all, and they still came up short. So I think it is even though it's much narrower than expected, I think it's an extraordinary victory for the left, the ascendant left, and now Ryan we get to see if our theory of electability in a swing state, if that's correct. And I have to tell you after seeing I'm curious for you guys. Take Haley outperformed in the sort of more white rural parts of the state in spite of the fact that she really had no campaign to speak of outside of the Detroit area. She just the ads spend alone. And you know, I think, frankly some discomfort with musclim man named Abdullah's I think that's part of what was missed in the polls as well. And so it does make me concerned that this general election, even as it's a very strong Democratic year, is going to be tough for Abdul. It is definitely going to be a dog fight and is very uncertain what will ultimately happen there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be tough.
Speaker 4: And on the Wayne County vote, we were talking last night about how in twenty twenty four, I think there were about one hundred and ninety five thousand votes in the Democratic primary in twenty twenty four in Wayne County and we were kind of gaming out what it would look like if you saw a twenty five percent increase this time around, and you know what the margins would look like, as you Jumping twenty five percent in two years is a pretty huge number.
Speaker 1: It's rare to see.
Speaker 4: So far, we're looking at I think two hundred and ninety thousand votes already and well there could be you know, thousands more, few thousand more still counted. So you're looking at a fifty percent increase in turnout in Wayne County from twenty twenty four to twenty twenty six. So that's going to be key for Abdullah side to go in and persuade those people who voted narrowly for Hailey Stevens or we're looking at overall five point win for Stevens in Wayne County.
Speaker 1: He's going to need all of those Hailey Stevens people to come his way.
Speaker 4: And I don't think he can count much on Gretchen Whitmer. Maybe Gary Peters because he wants he actually wants to see Democrats win the Senate, but the rest of the party establishment. I don't think outside and the left should rely on that. I think it should be as nice as they can be, as conciliatory, like welcome them in and like it makes space for them, but absolutely do not count on them, because just as you and I are talking about this being a test case for the entire premise that populism, you know, from the left can win in swing seats, whether it's Will Lawrence, or whether it's out of California or Maine or here, this being the test case, the powers that be recognize that as well, and so for them it is it is a real question that they won't talk about much, I think publicly, but privately are weighing the question of how much do we want this Senate seat versus how how much do we not want to set the precedent that this populism can win, versus the true reward of Wow, look, you guys got what you wanted and he lost. So don't ever bother us again with any of this.
Speaker 2: And with an I towards twenty twenty eight exactly and who you know would be able to to gain the Democratic nomination for presidency. So yeah, it's a big prize for them ultimately to watch Abdul, you know, quietly, watch ab Duel go down.
Speaker 6: That would please them a lot, especially if.
Speaker 5: The if the polling starts to show Rogers running away with it before Labor Day, and then maybe a little bit into the fall, that'll be I would imagine Ryan and Crystal that's going to be a sign to Democrats in Washington. So whether they go all in or they're kind of tapid, right.
Speaker 4: Although yes, it's going to be very difficult dance for them because they have to you know, publicly, they have to publicly want it. But also when Washington people have privately, Democrats privately have been saying, you know, it's not obvious that holding Congress going into the twenty twenty eight election is better for Democrats. Like that might sound strange to people outside of Washington who were like, wait a minute, I thought you're a political party and you want more votes and you want more power.
Speaker 1: But no, that's not all. That's not how all Democrats think.
Speaker 4: There's an argument that that's made in Democratic elite circles that if you have Congress, then even though you don't have much ability to restrain Trump, you then to the voters look partly responsible for whatever is happening being in the world and they and the best place for Democrats, as far as the establishment is concerned, has always been completely out of power and blameless and without any responsibility for anything, so that they can then kind of just run against whatever screw ups uh uh and corruption the Republican whoever that may be, is engaged in. So so it also fits into that strategy. Just say, we we tried, we did everything, we did everything we could for Abdullah's side, but he just fell short. So the so my point is you rather than cry about that, you have he has to lock in, and so does everybody who did everything to get him over the hump here. They have to lock in from now to November.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: The work to be done in Detroit is immense, and the work to be done in the royal and suburban areas is significant as well. That it's it's there for the taking, but you know nobody, nobody's going to hand it to you. It's the point like they're like this, this campaign and this national movement is going to have to do it on its own.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead, actually and take a listen to Abdel gave a speech last night before the race had been called, when you know by anyone, but already striking that conciliatory tone with Democrats saying we all have to come together to defeat Mike Rogers. Let's go ahead and take a listen to that.
Speaker 8: And however we might feel about the campaign we've just come through, I want you to understand that it pales in comparison to the cynicism, in comparison to the corporatism, in comparison to the lies.
Speaker 7: Like Mike Rogers and Donald Trump are going to tell, there is so much more that unites us. However much we might disagree with our Democratic opponent, there is so much more that unites us than divides us.
Speaker 8: And so to.
Speaker 7: All of our supporters here tonight, watching on TV tomorrow, we begin to mend fences.
Speaker 8: Whatever happens tonight, we have.
Speaker 7: A responsibility to assure that we unite, to make sure that Mike Rogers never sees the inside of the US Senate.
Speaker 2: And you know, in terms of Mike Rogers, he's got a tall hill to climb here too, because he's got a man named Donald Trump in the White House and he's going to have to answer for every insane, stupid, destructive thing that that man does between now and November. In a very dismal climate both politically for Republicans economically in terms of the level of pessimism, the Iran war obviously no end in sight here gas price is still very high, so it's a brutal climate for him and Democrats, you know, outside of the elected establishment and the elite tastemakers and the party. Outside of that circle, they are highly, highly elite energized to take the Senate and send a message to Republicans into the country that the Trump administration is unacceptable and that there is you know, a wave building to shift power in the other direction.
Speaker 5: And let's keep going to the down ballot races because Will Lawrence is an example of some of that energy. We can put a two on the screen and Crystal and Ryan explain to us, you were watching these results come in last night as well, explain to us what this means in the kind of broader constellation of DSA style wins that we've seen. Obviously, we're going to get into the Corey Bush lost last night, So kind of a mixed bag, but this is a big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Matt Masden there that you see finishing third, he had millions of dollars spent on behalf of him.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 4: He's a candidate of that what's it called the bridge, like the Liz Smith operation, the same one that did Mallory McMorrow and.
Speaker 1: That kind of politics.
Speaker 4: Both of Will Lawrence's opponents were made in a line A Democrats, like one of them Navy seal who carried the nuclear football for Obama. That's Matt and then Bridget was ambassador of Ukraine, you know, who stood up to Trump. It's like you couldn't kind of do better if you're trying to recruit house Democratic candidates for the Democratic primary base. And yet Will Lawrence, co founder of Sunrise, on the back of his opposition to both genocide and data centers in the district, is beating both of them fairly, fairly comfortably. And this will be another test, and it's probably useful for Abdell side to have him here because he is going to be doing everything he can to bring Michigan State University District, which is in his district, that bring those folks out to vote, but in general, to make the case that populism is viable in mid Michigan. He's going to go up against Tom Barrett and incumbent Republicans. So this is not one of these DSA candidates who wins and can now go around the rest of the country just electing other DSA candidates like he has to flip a red seat and trying to run up those margins and beat Tom Barrett is going to be I think very helpful to Abdulah's sides showing that this is this is not a culture war that he's waging. He's not trying to bring communism to mid Michigan. He's just going to fight against these data centers and kind of actually be conservative, like conserve what people love about mid Michigan. So that will be that will be fascinating Crystal. Any thoughts on Lawrence kind of you know, fairly comfortably beating these two.
Speaker 2: Democrats, Well, it's I mean it's also a bit of a centrist in disarray kind of a story because I'm sure that there is a lot of recriminations looking at you know, he didn't get fifty percent of the vote, so no guarantees that if it was head to head him versus one of these other candidates that he would have lost. But I'm sure they're going to think that that's the case. So there's a lack of coordination there problem that's an issue. There is a similar dynamic happening in the Wisconsin governor's race with Francesca Hang, the DSA candidate, really benefiting from that dynamic as well. Although she has such a lead that although who knows what the poll or whether the polls are right at this point or not, but she has such a lead that it seems unlikely even if it was a had to head battle there that she would be defeated.
Speaker 6: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: That primary is next week, So now I think, well, Lawrence is a very compelling candidate. I think we were all impressed with him when we interviewed him, and the data center critique is very natural for him because obviously as a founder of the Sunrise movement, and he's deeply concerned about environmental issues, and that is one aspect of what the whole country is deeply concerned about with data centers, and it's only going to become more of an issue. I saw, I can't remember which state it is, was in there was a ballot initiative to block a data center in a certain area that was successful. After the local officials had approved it, the public said we want to say in this and we're able to get that on the ballot in their area, and they fully rejected it. Adding to some there's some three hundred data center bands or moratoriums in place across the country at this point. So he'll be part of that burgeoning movement. And to your point, Ryan, having him on the ground, working in collaboration with Abdul and his team is going to be very important.
Speaker 6: Let's go to a three.
Speaker 2: We can put this was the other big race for the left in Michigan. This is Donovan McKinney versus Street Thanadar. This is a Detroit area district. Right now, you've got Donovan McKinney up here by a few points, by about three points in about three thousand votes. That one has not been called yet. They say there's about seventy three percent of the expected vote in. It definitely looks very good for Donovan, but still enough vote out for it to be too close to call. But you know this is a this is a big one too, because you have a lefty taking out here a Democratic incumbent, and anytime that happens, you know, it's very difficult to unseat incumbents. And you know, this is a district that does have a lot of a beloved Democratic incumbent, yes, beloved by all, And this is a district with a large black population as well, and so in terms of some of the challenges that the left has with black voters and older black voters in particular, you know, Donovan McKinney appears to have been able to overcome some of that trepidation in his battle here against Tritanadar.
Speaker 4: Donovan in our interview recently had a kind of a funny line about the DSA because he.
Speaker 1: Has had a bit of a rocky relationship with DSA.
Speaker 4: He and ed up getting Metro Detroit dsay's endorsement, and I think that, you know, that really helped.
Speaker 3: And he had.
Speaker 4: People from all over the country, all of these different campaigns at Adam ham Away, a lot of heros on and on and on came in and brought staff and volunteers as well, and with the hope of a relentless get out the vote effort kind of overcoming what was what was a polling gap. So it seems like this, you know, this coming together so far as working for McKinney. There's thirty eight thousand votes outstanding and he has to you know, maintain this this three thousand vote lead. But he in our interview he said something funny, but I don't know if you remember exactly how he put it when we asked him about his relationship with the DSA, is like, I love the DSA. I agree with them on basically everything, but man, they talk a lot and sometimes it's not very helpful. It was some version of that, and I think the DA he needs to listen to people like Donovan mckinneyse like, what whatever it is he's telling you about what's not working on the ground in Detroit, Like, listen because he agrees with you. And yes, you can complain about what you know, where he's been in the past and some things he's with you now. He wants to see Abdulla al Saiah when he endorsed you know, they cross endorsed each other. Having him running is a a is a great bridge. The The thing that outside has going for him, uh, is that the older black community in Wayne County is still very well organized. The younger black community as the churches, you know, the church attendance has gone down and like the just the collapse of kind of American society generally in the last couple of decades has become disaggregated. But the older voters are still very well organized. So if you can get the word out that we're gonna we're going to overcome these differences and we're going to pull together, and this is a rainbow coalition.
Speaker 1: You know, it was Michigan that almost.
Speaker 4: Propelled Jesse Jackson back in nineteen eighty eight to the Democratic nomination on the back of a rainbow coalition. Then this becomes that this becomes possible and McKinney could be a key player, you know, keep bridge there.
Speaker 2: I think, well, yeah, well, one other quick comment about DSA is, you know, they are really gaining a reputation as important organizing muscle on the ground, and so you see more and more candidates reaching out for their endorsement because even if it comes with a you know, the socialist label that may or may not benefit them in the district, just because they actually are a real member organization with real ability and know what they are doing and have demonstrated demonstrated some prowess in terms of contacting voters and organizing and getting out the vote. It is candidates are increasingly really seeing it as worthwhile to have their backing and being a real difference maker in some of these close votes.
Speaker 5: Russell looking at what appears to be a double digit loss for Corey Bush in Missouri to Wesley Bell.
Speaker 4: Real quick before we go to Missouri, just just to update people and what we talked about last night. There were a bunch of other down ballot dsa slash lefty races. Senate District one, Aosh lost an effort to Allston incumbent, but in Senate District two, A bus Allawi, who has I believe he's been on this program, former chief of staff to Corey Busch, former stafford of both Andy Levin and Rashida Talib, will be one in Dearborn and ousted. The incumbent will be the first Arab American to go to UH, to go to the state Senate. And then it looks like ann Arbor the insurgents one an Arbor Mayor race and elsewhere and a bunch of other races that we talked about yesterday. It looks like not a completely clean suite, but a pretty pretty significant, pretty significant one.
Speaker 1: But not the case in Missouri.
Speaker 5: Now where it stands in Missouri, as Wesley Bell has let me pull this back up. Wesley Bell in District one has fifty nine point two percent of the vote. This is with just about all of the votes, and Corey Bush is at thirty six point ninety percent, So resounding victory for Wesley Bell. Not exactly a surprise. Are we surprised at all by the margin of victory for Wesley Bell?
Speaker 1: I mean probably, probably not.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, this was a real long shot for her, and I talked about this last night, but the weird internal polling just showed that the negatives on Corey Bush really stuck. And the main thing that they hit her for was missing too many votes. You know, she talked about she had two bouts of COVID, which is what led to the the votes being missed. But it's not like they give context in attack ads. And Jamal Bowman was telling us last night on stream when he was going around Saint Louis, you guys can take that off by now. When he was going around Saint Louis, people were excited about her, but would say like, wait, I saw, didn't I say that she didn't do her job. She never showed up to vote, like those ads were absolutely everywhere, and they still hit her with voting against the infrastructure bill in order to try to get the build back better bill, you know, through and so the negatives on Wesley Bell for whatever reason, weren't landing in the same way, and she didn't have also didn't have the money this time to kind of really drive those home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and didn't have a lot of you know, once but you didn't have Bernie, you know, back in coming to the district, there were you know, some she didn't have all the sort of organizational endorsement pieces there. And I also think, you know, just in terms of where the left is strongest, I think there was you know, this is a demographic area an area demographically that was going to be a challenge as well. So it seems like all of that was just too much to overcome. So APAC did get at least one when there last night, which I'm sure they'll be very very happy about. I mean, just to remind people, when Corey Bush was originally defeated by Wesley Bell, this was the most expensive at that time, This was the most expensive primary that had ever happened. Because they were bound and determined to get her out of there, and they succeeded with her. With Jamal Bowman as well, I think if she was an incumbent and they were trying to run that same playbook. I don't think that it would work, but there's a lot of advantages to incumbency. And I think you're right Ryan that some of the things, you know, the claims about absentee voting, there were also some alleged sort of corruption stories involving her and her husband that probably dinged her image in the district as well. So all of those efforts paid off.
Speaker 1: For them, right.
Speaker 4: The things that land are you know, people think you're if people think you're petty corrupt, like self dealing, and if you're not and if you're not voting like that like that it hits in these.
Speaker 1: Attack ads, like because like for.
Speaker 4: You know, I think for voters are like, you're getting paid six figures, your job is to go vote, Go vote. Like if I was there, they're thinking, if I was getting paid six figures, I would vote. And like I said, in attack ad, you don't get a chance to say, well, here's the reason I missed these votes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just she had.
Speaker 4: The worst voting record in Congress, you know, whatever the whatever the hit hit was.
Speaker 2: And I mean they tried as similar and the sort of petty corruption front. They tried a similar tactic with Abdul that I'm sure also dinged his image with all of Hailey Stevens really spent a lot of time focusing on where's your tax return, where's your financial disclosure, which she ends up releasing, but you know, she'd raise these questions about, well, where did this money come from? Where did that money come from? And so to create this similar impression and to mondy the waters as she was getting hit hard for a sort of corruption by taking all of this corporate and lobby money for her campaign.
Speaker 5: Well, let's finally go to Washington District nine, where Adam Smith has according to results right now, we've got fifty three percent of votes in. He's not just advancing to the general election, but had fifty one percent, So over fifty percent of the vote there in Washington nine. The Republican candidate Doug Basler at twenty three point eight percent, So that's what the general election will look like. Again, fifty three percent of the votes in. So we don't know if these particular margins stick, but over the fifty percent margin for Adam Smith right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this this will be a lock for him in the general because it's a very liberal district. You know, just sort of like suburban Seattle. Obviously, we had both Adam Smith and his socialist challenger Kasha Masawant. In Washington, they do top two primary, so everybody runs and what's called a jungle primary, and then the top two move on to the general election. So that's why you see Socialists, Republican, Democrat all mixed together there in the results.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Doug Basler, the Republican, raised less than one hundred thousand dollars in the primary, so you know he's not a serious candidate. He's not going to be a threat to Adam Smith because Shamas the Want is currently in battling for third with Melissa Chaudrey. She's current results have her with eight thousand little over eight thousand votes.
Speaker 1: She's eight hundred votes ahead of Melissa Chaudry.
Speaker 4: There's still about sixty thousand votes to be counted, so it's possible Chaudrey could overtake her, but doesn't matter third or fourth. Either way, you don't make it. You don't make it into the top two there. Yeah, and Marie Glusen Camperez, by the way, did win, and she did make the top two. She had a left wing challenger who was trying to squeeze her out of the top out of the top two, but she made it through. So it'll be her against a Republican to defend her seat.
Speaker 8: Yeh.
Speaker 2: So some interesting results there, and you know, I think I think perhaps the lack of the DSA endorsement for Kashama was significant there to just given again the organizing muscle and when you have there were multiple challengers there to Adam Smith's left, so there was you know, there wasn't an ability to consolidate and be able to get past the Republican.
Speaker 6: Partisanship is a hell of a drug.
Speaker 2: You know, if you have an R or D next year name, there's a certain block of voters that's just going to be there for you. So you're not starting from vote number one and you know it can provide an advantage and then real.
Speaker 4: Quick before we finish and put up a four, APEC did have another win here. This is this is Haley Stevens's district to replace her. The pro Israel candidate ended up with nearly fifty percent of the vote, Ayisha Faruki with thirty two percent, so fairly comfortable win, an expensive win for the for the pro Israel crowd. Here in Steven's district. But this will be I think probably a prime target in the next cycle if if the opposition can kind of consolidate around a single single candidate. They had a bunch of different challengers and they could never really kind of organize the energy behind us a single one Kyle Blumcoast.
Speaker 5: They're at thirty six percent. Oh yes, yes, in the Upper Peninsula one yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had Kyle.
Speaker 4: We had Kyle on He ended up also spent about one hundred grand, ended up losing twenty points to in his Democratic primary.
Speaker 5: Interesting, interesting candidacy that we talked to him about data centers as well, and we'll have honestly some similar things to discuss next week after the Wisconsin results. So should we move on to a run and updates everyone?
Speaker 2: Just one last question for Ryan on the election, which is just you know, what's kind of your overall takeaway for the strength of the left within the Democratic primary base and you know how people should be thinking about these things overall.
Speaker 4: You know, we did a survey with drop sit Ins, the TAO sponsorous survey back and I think April it was, and it basically found that Abdulla al Saiah did not have a path to victory in a one on one race against either Haley Stevens or Mallory McMorrow, and that his only his only chance was if all three of them stayed in. And it was right around that time that we did our survey, we put our survey into the field justice the kind of Hassan Piker thing was was blowing up that where McMorrow and Third Way were demanding that he be denounced, and that ended up polarizing the race around him and around Israel, Israel Palestine, and you know, sinking mcmorroll's candidacy. So if you would have told me at the time that mcmore was going to drop out and that Elside was still going to beat Haley Stevens, I would have been very surprised because that was a very tough path for him for him to win.
Speaker 2: And if we had told you she'd also get the Whitmer endorsement, she'd get on top of it.
Speaker 4: Gary Peters would come in, Whitmer would come in, She'd have sixty plus million dollars of ads telling people that Obama was supporting her, and that you'd have almost three hundred thousand people vote in Wayne County, and that he would still win. I would have been I would have been very surprised, and I would never have expected that anybody would have been suggesting that there was going to be a fifteen point victory. So I don't know where on earth that that kind of came from out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Plus you if he also tell.
Speaker 4: Me, oh, by the way, Donovan McKinney's going to come from behind and win.
Speaker 1: Let's see if he does.
Speaker 4: But he's up now, and Will Lawrence is going to win in mid Michigan. That's a pretty dominant performance for the populace wing of the party, kind of across across the but ideological and racial spectrum in a party that is very obsessed with with identity. And it also came as the party establishment, after having destroyed Graham Plattner, was able to focus all of its energy on trying to take down Will Lawrence, who they threw the entire kitchen sink at. You know, Oppa was just coming relentlessly, and Abdullah said they were going after him, him and Will Lawrence with with really everything they had. And so that's that's kind of how I take take it away, rather than the squeaker, but it's it's going to be a very tough race, and and they're gonna, like I said, they're gonna have to really lock in. I don't know what's what's your thirty thousand foot look this morning?
Speaker 2: You know, what I was thinking about is like, you know, in the past, the populous left, there have been lots of sort of like moral victories where I was like, well, we didn't win, but Bernie came really close. You know, if only X and Y and Z had gone different, really gave them a scare. I feel like now the shoes on the other foot, where it's like the Centrists are kind of taking like a moral victory, and you know, I'm personally glad to be moving into the realm of actual victories, not a moral victories. So I think you're right that the bar has been raised so extraordinarily high now that in another cycle, just taking out one incumbent Shritannadar, if that holds, you know, with Donovan McKinney, that would be seen as a really sort of landmark event in the way AOC taking out you know, Crowley was this kind of watershed moment, et cetera. So I think it shows you how much the party has shifted, how much the landscape has shifted. But also obviously you can see the perils of the way they are able to fight back, the amount of resource that they're able to bring to bear, the frankly, you know, deeply cynical tactics that they're willing to use. You know, the constant weaponization of identity is a theme that goes back, you know, certainly to the Hillary Clinton versus Burning campaigns as well. So, you know, I think it's a I think it's a reminder that there are still very very strong forces that will do everything they can to oppose a true populist movement that will oppose money and politics, will oppose oligarchy, and that is to be taken seriously, both inside of the Democratic Party and in the you know, the general election.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nothing's going to be handed to anybody. If you want it, you got to take it, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Well, we have some breaking news now. Actually in the Red Sea. We could toss this tear shape up on the screen. This is from the New York Times right now, reporting this morning Huthy threatened to expand Red Sea attacks and claim strike on Saudi tanker The who the these they report said Wednesday they had struck a Saudi oil tanker in the Northern Red Sea, and they threaten to intensify attacks. They're in an effort to close quote unquote all access routes to Saudi oil shipments. This obviously comes as the Trump administration is struggling to get itself out of the Iran conflict. More broadly, we can put b one up on the screen. Now, this just yesterday. This is going to be a st just one moment. I'll set it up for US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant is saying on CNBC at least says of yesterday that a deal was really, really close, and we also have some details to come on a potential deal between between Iran and Oman about opening the Strait of Hormuz. But for now, let's start here just listening to twenty four hours ago Scott Bessant talking about how very very close we were.
Speaker 9: We've seen President Trump last week threatened what would have been one of the largest military campaigns, or the largest military campaigns since World War Two against the Iranians, and now we are because of that, we are in talks with the Irais, and I think there is a chance we may have a deal today or tomorrow to open the straight and move towards a more normalized position in this conflict. And that's because if their air forces wiped out, their navy is wiped out substantial portion, or their missiles are wiped out. More importantly, their missile production capability is wiped out. So anything that happens in the golf will benefit Japan and indeed the rest of the world.
Speaker 5: Joe, if we put the next element up on the screen, the talks of how close this deal were sent the stock market surging yesterday and now obviously there's also this conversation from reading here from Joyce Karam at a monitor. The next element shows reporting Hormuz deal seen close around controls entry along exits around has the ability to intervene in the waterway, potential service fee revenue split. That's according to the New York Times. And bestment was of course saying that this could happen any day. Crystal. Now that there's additional conflict in the Red Sea and the huthis seem to be escalating, what do you think this does to the bigger picture in the Middle East right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the funny thing is Scott Bessont talking about We're going to have a deal, but the deal isn't with US. It's between Iran and Oman and so and when you say a revenue split that is going to also not involve US. That is between Iran and Oman, and I was.
Speaker 5: Saying it has nothing to do with the bigger, the broader.
Speaker 2: War, Yes, exactly right, and Iran is saying, no, we are not negotiating with the United States right now. And I think the HOOI you know, action this morning really shows that for their view, the war is very much still on and they're still going to enforce their red lines, both you know, in the Red Sea and with the Straight of Horn moves.
Speaker 6: So nothing has really shifted.
Speaker 2: If anything, the acceptance from the US of this Iran Oman negotiation is another acknowledgment of the weakness of our position because you know, just to back up what happened here is we had this mu memo of understanding. There was some ambiguity in the language around what would happen with the Strait of Hormuz, but the Iranians certainly understood it as we are going to retain control because we secured that on the battlefield and we have no intention of giving that up. The US trying to undermine that deal and see what they could get away with by establishing these separate corridor through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran was not having that, and so that's why we ended it, and then we ended up in this, you know, tit for tat situation, which is basically where we are today. So you know, it continues to be one of the primary issues in terms of the conflict, and the Iranians have no intention of ever giving up control over the Strait of Hormuz. So for besant to you know, tout this quote unquote deal as something that's positive for the US's kind of extraordinary spin to this because again it's it's sort of de facto and admission of how little control and leverage we have in all of this. I want to put up I think this is B six up on the screen. Every day we learned something new about how little we have left in our stockpiles. So yesterday we learned that we are virtually out of long range missiles. Now we get some reporting from CNN that the US military is used up nearly eighty percent of key missile interceptors as commanders worn once again that stockpiles are dangerously low. So that's the other thing that is I guess amusing about beston talking about, Oh, we destroyed their navy, we destroyed their air force. You know, we've kind of destroyed ourselves here. There's a reason why Trump issues these threats and then backs off because not only does he, I guess realize that even if he acted on these alleged threats, it would be unlikely to change the dynamics of the negotiating table, but we also just literally don't have what we would need to do to go forward with the sort of mass bombing campaign that we launched this war with.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Reading from the CNN report here, Trump decided to back off after talking with Middle East allies on Saturday, who told him they were afraid of Iranian retaliation, specifically retaliatory attacks on their energy infrastructure. According to an official a senior Trump official, Trump aregried to hear them and around out. He subsequently told Hexath to stand down for now, but is not taking the planned strikes off the table for a future date. And again in the CNN report, it says golf allies have also raised fresh concerns about how a shortage of air defense systems could impact their ability to warn off potential Iranian retaliation. If Trump decides to escalate the ongoing conflict. It is just a stunning embarrassment. I mean not stunning because it's surprising, but stunning because the administration slept walked into exactly what would have been predicted. Was predicted in several months ago. This is what we were leading up to Crystal, So it's not surprised to I guess people who were always skeptical of this. We would be here in August if the conflict was still going on. I think Trump said at the beginning it was going to be three to four weeks at one point. I mean, his timeline was obviously all over the map. But we're now it's August fifth, and now our golf allies are worried because our interceptor supply has been so depleted that they wouldn't be able to fight off an Iranian attack. It is such a dramatic contrast with how our power was being described by our leaders in early March.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it really underscores why you had top military official saying we have to choose at this point, given how low our stockpiles are between defending Israel and defending the homeland. Forget about the Gulf Arab allies or our bases in the region. I mean, most of those, I think have been basically abandoned at this point. There's been as or trenchman in Jordan than you had, you know, that deadly attack in Jordan as well, with the Iranian showing that they could they could hit us there as well. So you know, the whole situation in every respect is a complete disaster. And yet I don't think that Trump and the US have felt enough pain for him to accept what would be required, which is, you know, to effectively acknowledge defeat at the negotiating table.
Speaker 6: He keeps trying to.
Speaker 2: Find a way out of that impossible predicament, which is why, you know, I continue to be fearful of him doing something truly insane, you know, whether it's an invasion, whether it's a tactical nuke, something of that nature, to try to get himself out of the absolute bind that he has placed himself into.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And meanwhile, Brett Stevens, this is interesting, very pro Israel columnist at the New York Times is warning about this public letter that Matan Vilnai, is, a retired deput chief of staff to the IDF, sent Trump just a few days days ago. And this is actually Brett Stevens worrying about a potential third into Fada. So in the New York Times, Stevens is writing, there's an immediate danger in that the spiraling West Bank violence, which is what vill and I warned Trump about, could easily produce a third into Fada that an exhausted Israel can ill afford militarily or diplomatically, to say nothing of the human cost in both Israeli im Palestinian lives. There's still a greater long term rist that the NISA Yahoo government's excuse making for Jewish lawlessness and terrorism leads to what the scholar and diplomat Michael Or in an oppression commentary from two thousand and nine called the hemorrhaging of sovereignty. So, Crystal, we are now again in August, after we heard all of the rosy outlooks in March that were being in those same people that were promagating those rosie outlooks. We're telling everybody who predicted what's coming to pass right now, where you have chaos in Israel. You have chaos in the US military and no end in sight in this conflict. Potentially looking at is is really supporters saying a quote third into Fada because of spiraling violence in the West Bank. It is a complete and total disaster. And it is a complete and total vindication for people who were predicting it and being dunked on constantly in March and April about what was to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and obviously I have a million issues with the way Brett Stevens frames this thing and always putting, you know, Israel's interest above anything else, including international law or basic human rights, et cetera. But to see him use the words Jewish terrorism, I think is you know, very significant in the New York Times as a conservative calmness in someone who is a die, diehard supporter of the Zionist cause. And you know, in terms of the West Bank, obviously we've been covering the programs there the extraordinary and it's not just you know, the settlers who are committing that violence. They're very much backed up by the IDF. Those attacks, how are state sanctioned. They have been, they have escalated dramatically over the past several years, but specifically in the past several weeks. And in addition to that, Israel has really been trying to economically squeeze the West Bank and you know, sort of starve them in that way as well. So, yeah, you're going to get people who are very angry about that. Anyone would be very angry about that. You're going to get a lot of people who are very desperate in an existential way. And no, that's not good for the people who are being you know, who are having their land stolen and who are being abused and assaulted and imprisoned. It's certainly first and foremost not good for them. But it's not good for anyone's safety to have this level of endemic violence, you know. Turning back to the economic piece here, we had some interesting comments again from Scott Bessett talking about the state of the economy. And you know, the thing is that if this was another region of the world, perhaps you could put this thing on the back burner and just have this sort of low grade tip for Tad or the US could even just up and leave and sort of like we'll figure it out later. Because of how crucial this region of the world is for everything in terms of the global economy with the fossil fuels backing basically our entire economic structure, we don't really have the luxury of that, so the economic piece continues to really be at the center of this entire war. So in any case, Bessett was asked about the current state of the economy and means some interesting comments.
Speaker 5: This is B five.
Speaker 6: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 9: So we are starting to see I got sick of hearing about this K shaped economy. I can say here definitively, the K shaped economy is over.
Speaker 5: K shaped.
Speaker 2: His economy is over. Just for people who aren't in the know of what that means. It means that the riches start doing really well and then everybody else is screwed, and the K shape economy emily is certainly not over. Especially gas prices are going to be one of the things that hit working class people the hardest. Inflation is one of the things that are going to is going to hurt working class people the hardest, because you know, budgets are already stretched, wages are not going up to keep pace with the level of inflation, and just the increase in gas prices alone. So the K shaped economy is only further diverging at this point.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we just mentioned earlier in the block, but the stock markets were surging yesterday on this apparent news that we were close to a deal. What that actually means different question, as we talked about earlier. So when you have markets stop being attached, Well, this has been going on for a long time. It's actually where the entire K shaped economy formula comes from, being detached from the reality of the middle class on the ground. That's not an end to the K shaped economy. It's like exactly when you're seeing the mag seven take up what is it like thirty percent of the S and P five hundred somewhere around there. The stocks keep going up and up and up. Meanwhile, well, in Michigan, which we covered earlier in the show because it had so many elections yesterday where populist candidates found success, gas is at four to twenty eight according to Triple A's daily average four dollars and twenty eight cents a gallon in Michigan. So that's just a crazy thing to say. It's obviously a political problem for Republicans going into the election, but a genuine problem for Americans right now as well, Crystal obviously, yeah, the K shaped economy is unfortunately alive, and.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, and we talked.
Speaker 2: Ryan talked about how Democratic establishment maybe doesn't really care all that much about taking back the Senate, and as at I guess at the very least cross pressured on whether or not they would want Abdula Sayah to win in Michigan. But I don't think Trump really cares that much about whether Republicans when in the Senate. He's certainly not really acting like it outside of some shady behind the scenes election brigging maneuvers that he's making.
Speaker 6: But you know, I don't think that.
Speaker 2: He is particularly committed to whether or not Republicans hold onto the House or the Senate.
Speaker 6: So you got a weird dynamic.
Speaker 2: Of both I guess party leaderships being like, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 5: Gas is over four dollars in Maine and in Ohio as well, so major swing states. Saying the K shaped economy is over on CNBC might be a good clever way to spin and frame what he thinks is happening, but it's obviously not accurate, and it's just completely the more that they try to do exactly what we saw the Biden administration do by saying it's fine inflation and don't worry about it. We've got it under control, or blaming the other person, or blaming like you cannot do that when you're in charge. And I guess maybe that's why Scott Beston is trying to come up with some new spin. I don't know, that's my best guess at what's going on there.
Speaker 6: Good luck with that, buddy, Yeah, seriously.
Speaker 5: All right, well, speaking of Scott best Boy, do we have a story out of Japan. Let's get to it.
Speaker 2: So, in a sign of the massive impact that the Iran War is having on the global economy, certain things are starting to break, in particular the Japanese yen, the Japanese currency, which has taken a massive hit. And I'll get into some of the mechanics. So though it's a little bit complicated of what exactly is going on there, but extraordinary scene here. We've got this Scott Besson almost like he's right now on a grocery list. Put c one up on the screen. We've got a notepad and an ego eyed photographer was able to capture the note that was written here. It says to do by Japanese yen five to ten billion dollars. So the LDR here is that because of the Iran who are causing all kinds of problems for Japan, including surging inflation in a place that has not had inflation famously for decades up until COVID. Then they got a little bit of inflation, but now you know, with gas prices going up in Japan being an island, it has to import most of what they consume. It's causing massive issues for them, and so we're jumping in to bail them out and to help prop up their currency. The reason we care about that, and the reason we're doing that is not out of the kindness of our hearts, Emily and or because we, you know, love the Japanese and their great allies or anything like that, although I'm sure the fact that their allies certainly helps to make the case. But the reason we're doing that is because in order for them to be able to prop up their own currency, they were going to have to sell off a lot of US treasuries, and they are one of the largest holders of US treasuries.
Speaker 6: In the entire globe.
Speaker 2: So if they begin to sell off the holdings of treasury bonds, that they have, that would in turn mean that we would have to pay a higher interest rate in order to get more people to buy our debt. So that means our debt, which is quite high. Japan actually has an even larger debt, which is part of their problem because they've had de facto zero percent interest rates for years and years and years. Our debt is also quite high. If you have to pay a higher interest rate on that, that puts a lot of financial strain. And judging by the way Trump has you know, the cycle of the Trump Taco in this war, and also with regard to his tariff scheme, he is very closely attuned and very paying very close attention to what that interest rate is on the treasury bond yield. So that is what's going on here. But again, you know, if you want to gloss over some of the more technical mechanics, the tld R here is that the Japanese are getting screwed because of our war in Iran, and it has reverberating impacts on us and our budget and the stability is of our treasury market. So we are jumping in to bail them out to the tune of five to ten billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Yep, I don't even know what to say, Crystal. It kind of reminds me a bit. It's not it's obviously apples and oranges, but it reminds me a bit of Best and Argentina, which you and I covered I think at the time. Yeah, he's just wheeling and dealing like he still works at a hedge fund. That's what it looks like from the outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, this is you know, part of how he I mean, it really is. The way that he made his fortune was working with George Soros on these currency trades, and so that you know, this is his bread and butter. This is this is where he shines. Propping up foreign currencies and manipulating currency markets is kind of where he does his thing. We can put see two up on the screen just to see, you know, how much the yen has fallen. This has the worries that drove Uncle Sam to buy the yen. The weakness of the Japanese currency was a problem not just for Tokyo but also Washington. The yen had slid to a forty year low, indirectly threatening to bump up US interest rates, and was throwing a wrench in plans to pull billions of dollars of Japanese investment into the US.
Speaker 6: Let me explain that part of it.
Speaker 2: So as part of our trade deal with Japan, you know, they made one of these promises, We're going to invest billions of billions of dollars, et cetera. Well, if you have a very weak yen, that means it's going to in their currency terms, cost much more to be able to make those investments, and they wouldn't be able to afford to invest as much in the US. So that's the other way in which this was posing a problem for Trump and for the US because they were unlikely to make good on some of their commitments. Here, there was a great video explaining some of the sort of longer backstory.
Speaker 6: Japan is a really.
Speaker 2: Fascinating economy because they have, unlike most of the world, they have had this long period of a either zero percent inflation or even deflation.
Speaker 6: So whereas we're very used.
Speaker 2: To, you know, okay, things are going up in price a little bit year over year, and obviously that's spiral and escalated in the past few years, they've had this in this long stretch, which was a problem for them economically. Of price stability. So because of that, they have kept their interest rates at zero percent. That means that if you are a global financier, you can borrow money at basically zero percent, you know in Japan, then you can convert it and invest in anything, you know, any sort of US tech stock or anything that's going to create some sort of a return. So this Japanese carry trade has been a very important part of investments, not only in treasuries, which we've discussed about discuss but in our entire stock market, you know, the tech build out.
Speaker 6: All of that stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's the other issue is maintaining that carry trade and up being very important for Japan, for source stability, for the US treasury market, et cetera. A YouTuber named andre Jeek explained the dynamics here in a way that I think was very understandable and got into the background of what is going on overall in the Japanese economy. It's worth listening to if you're curious about these sorts of things. Let's go ahead and take a listen to him explaining this carry trade.
Speaker 10: Now, the Enkerry trade meant if you were a hedge fund, or a bank or an investor. You could borrow yen a zero percent interest converted to dollars. You could buy basically anything in the world that paid you more than zero, meaning you could buy US treasuries paying four five percent. You could buy tech stocks, bitcoin, anything you wanted, and you made free money. That's estimated to be worth trillions of dollars of investments all around the world, funded by borrowed Japanese money. So Japan was like, we want to get in on this too. So Japan took its savings over because for thirty years there was nothing worth buying in Japan. Japanese pension funds, insurers, banks, households, they all shipped their money overseas to get some of that interest, and in the process, Japan became the world's biggest foreign holder of US government debt, holding something like over a trillion dollars of US treasuries. Japan's pension fund, for example, the GPIF, which is the biggest pension fund in the world, holds hundreds of billions of dollars in US bonds and stocks. Just think about it like this, When the US borrows money, when tech stocks go up, when bitcoin goes up, there is a strong chance that somewhere in that process it was partially funded by Japanese money. But remember this only works because interest rates were zero. They are no longer zero. Japan's interest rates are going up.
Speaker 2: So as we know from our own you know, the way our central bank operates. Okay, what do you do you start to have inflation, which Japan in COVID and now exacerbated by the Iran War, has begin to have some inflation.
Speaker 6: You raise rates.
Speaker 2: So if you raise the rates, now this carry trade no longer makes sense because you can no longer just borrow you know, zero percent in Japan and then use it to fund all these you know, tech stocks and buying US treasuries, et cetera. And so that is creating a lot of challenges for them. If they raise the rates, then they're going to have you know, bond prices they're very high. It is going to be a problem for us in terms of our investment. They have this massive amount of debt that they accumulated because they could borrow at zero percent, so it didn't cause major economic issues for them in the past. So when their interest rates go up on their debt, it's a major problem. However, then if you don't raise interest rates. That's when you see these massive problems with the yen and the depreciation there, and obviously inflation continues to climb. This is a major problem for you know, a country of savers, so all of their savings are being eaten away by inflation.
Speaker 6: So they've really.
Speaker 2: Been in this bind, which is why you know, they're kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't, which is why now the Treasury Secretary is deciding to jump in and bail them out, because this problem is creating issues for us as well, with our treageries and with our stock market.
Speaker 6: So I think it's just Emily.
Speaker 2: The bottom line here is I mean, first of all, I think a lot of people are going, wait, why are we bailing out Japan? Like, isn't there aren't there a lot of other things we could do with that five to ten billion dollars in Japanese yen?
Speaker 6: What is going on here?
Speaker 5: We told that euros for the end, right.
Speaker 6: I believe, so yeah.
Speaker 2: But the other I think the broader point to make here is just the global economy is very complicated, and it's very interconnected, and we are really straining it with what we've decided to do in Iran. So, you know, I would not have been thinking about as we got into this. You know, I'm thinking about oil markets, I'm thinking about the obvious things. I wouldn't have been thinking about. Oh, this is going to cause currency crisis in Japan that we're going to have to intervene in or else. Our stock market is going to fall apart, and our debt is going to skyrocket in costs. That is a second order of effect that myself, as a layperson, would not have imagined. And they're even going to be third and fourth order effects that even people who do this for a living are not going to be able to foresee because we saw that all unfold with regard to COVID. So to me, it's just a sign of the level of fragility in the global economy and how much it is being stressed by you know what we've decided to do with this warn Iran.
Speaker 5: Well, not even just the economy. I'm reading from an NBC news report. Actually I'm sorry, it's a Reuter's report. This morning. With Korea is Kim yojung, the powerful sister of leader Kim Jong un, warned on Wednesday that Pyongyang would adopt quote unquote additional military options in response to what she called Japan's transformation into a military power after Tokyo test fired a US made Tomahawk cruise missile and crystal, all of these pieces come together and emphasize just the fragility of geopolitics right now. To your point about the economy, to your point about the economy and being tied up with Iran, this is this, This situation is obviously very fragile, to say the least. I want to read from this Financial Times piece that we can put up on the screen as well. The headline is Japan vows further yen intervention with US if needed. Japan has confirmed the historic joint intervention the Finance Ministry intervened on Friday, and then further they said, we will not hesitate to conduct further joint intervention. That's such a weird way to put it. We will not hesitate to conduct further joint intervention. It's like a threat crystal at this point from Japan. Really odd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, a very dicey situation here. So in any case, one aspect of the war that is creating massive issues for Japan, but also for the global economy and even for our own debt and stuff market, so definitely want to keep an eye on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely new updates in the Epstein investigation from Capitol Hill. Let's get to that.