Speaker 1: Native Blame Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home, y'all, we are here with this league mini pod, and I know you all are going to find as relatable because Andrew had the great idea to talk about money, specifically loaning money to family and friends. And when you start making money and you become the person like JJ want to go to prom the loan, make that money for his tugs, and Renee want to go to the Dans and she needs money for her dress and all those things. We certainly have been through that collectively. So Andrew, what made you want to talk about this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I you know, I came across this clip and I thought it was like quite something to hear a very very very very rich woman share this problem that a lot of us common folks also encounter. And I just I just wanted to see if our audience might relate similarly to how this particular person deals.
Speaker 2: With she because not her, that's my only.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: The voice that you're going to hear if you're on the listening side is Melanie Hopson, who I'm sorry I say Melanie. You can have a D in your name all day of you a melody and I'm also.
Speaker 2: But she's I don't know, we know her, but a lot of people like may not actually know her. She's the president of a Real Investments, which is a huge management strategic planning firm, but really in finance. She also happens to be married to George Lucas.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, star Wars.
Speaker 2: Wars fame, so collectively they are ballin' very She was formerly on the board of Starbucks, but I don't think she's on the board now. And I think she's on the board of the Rockefellow Foundation as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's a big deal. She's a big Check her out. I will check it out. You should. I think you find it.
Speaker 2: Interesting how when you become the one person in the family that makes money, how do you maintain relationships with your family?
Speaker 3: This would be hours of conversation, but I'm going to give you the highlight reel. For me, I was my mother's retirement plan. She fully expected and believed that, but she put a lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: On me, a lot.
Speaker 3: We had a young woman who worked at Ariel. Her father was the CEO of a big company She was a young white woman, and she was like, you lend your family members money, you take care of your parents. And we're all like, there are a bunch of black people in the day.
Speaker 1: We're like, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Have to set boundaries. You have just set very very clear boundaries. And what I did, which was a bit extreme because it became debilitating to me and it was going to end relationships that I had, was I put, honestly an accountant between me and my family, and I made it that you can't ever call me for money, but you can call this person. I'm not going to talk to you about this. You have to call Tom. You have to call Tom. You have to call Tom. It was ugly in the beginning. The last thing I tell people all the time is when you make that decision, just understand it's a donation. You're never going to say it again. Whatever I do give, I do not expect back. I never said that to them, but emotionally that was my way of dealing with when I didn't get it back.
Speaker 1: I could relate to that. First of all, the accounting think that ain't in my league. I'll be clear clearly. But but Tiff, I don't know about you. But when folks, you know, sort of make up in their mind that you're the one that has the resource as the relative, and in my opinion, sort of suspend with the fact that you got their kids and their family and got all that, and it's sort of like, this is what I need and can you help, and can I just borrow such and such an until next week or such and such, you know, I like, like Melody said, once, I once I gave money, even if it were a quote loan, I made up in my mind immediately it wasn't coming back. Because early on when I really did think people were asking for a loan, and they really were next Tuesday, don't pay me back. And then I saw them next week on Saturday, and they were buying themselves some kicks. And in my mind, I'm now resenting and I got judgment. Now I'm watching your spend, I'm watching all of it. And it wasn't that like I needed the money back so badly. It was just the principle of the matter, like you said, with your whole heart, the next week Tuesday, you were going to do a thing, and it's Saturday, and you didn't do that thing. You didn't do the thing you said. But worse, you not taking the money. You should be paying me back and buying shoes and this and that. And let's go to you know, restaurant X, Y and Z and get brunch. How you gonna get brunch? You owe me money? Right, So that was that began to tear at relationships for me. And I'm talking to you know, history forward, and so it was like, Andrew, you got to make one or two decisions. You either are going to say, no, I'm not loaning money. I don't give no, I can't do that, or you're going to say if it is a gift, if it's a loan, it's a gift, it is make up in your mind. You you are never seeing it again. And that way I can release it right when I release the money, that is gone.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good practice. So I didn't know we were going to be talking about this, but just coincidentally, of course, you know, I'm writing a book and I write extensively about this, so I actually have some data on this. And the challenge with Andrew is, you well know, as a parent, sometimes you're now put in a position where now you're taking care of parents and you're taking care of children. So you're getting bled by both ends, which puts you in peril. So then the cycle continues. You put your children in a position where they now have to take care of you and their children. Then it's like, how do you stop right? But many of us are doing just that. So in fact, nearly half all college educated black households are taking care of their parents or you know, putting money back into their family, while just sixteen percent of college educated white households do the same. And more than a quarter of Black Americans live in multi generational homes here. So you look at what we're doing and also considering the wealth gap. So I write about that, and it's not just data, but I also write about it through my own personal lens and how I live my life. Look, this is one of the challenging things for me. I am a giver. If I have it, I will give it, and I certainly you know, I have an immediate family member who I take care of all of her needs as best I can. I don't want her to want for anything. And then outside of that, I get a little frustrated because I made certain choices in life and I have been a really amazing steward of my own finances. I have budgeted in a way that I have this pot of money to live off of every month. And since since one of the comments in our survey was I don't talk about my personal life and tell all my personal business, I'll tell you all a very specific story. Just recently, I had budgeted where I paid for everything, All bills are paid, family taken care of, you know, grocery money, going out money, everything, And I just had a thousand dollars surplus. You know, this was just free cash for me to do with whatever. If I wanted to pay for dinner one night, if I wanted to catch the train to New York to meet with my publisher about just whatever, nothing silly your publisher, yeah, or whomever in New York. No, not the kind you turned off with the guy. I know he would be paying for it if I was going to see him. But me, you know, whatever appointments I might have to have to go back and forth in New York all the time is really expensive. And so just a thousand not free money. You know, that's not allocated anywhere, not even to my going out budget. And just like that, my family hit me up. I need three hundred dollars. Okay, well that'sk on another family member, I need three hundred dollars. Okay, well now I'm down the six hundred. Then this family needed something, Well now I'm down to five hundred. And it just got whittled and whittled, and so now I have a three hundred dollars surplus for myself. Now I didn't want for anything. I was well taken care of. But to be honest, I did have a little bit of resentment because I budget my money for that reason, and I do wonder, like, what are you doing that you're not budgeting your money and the assumption that you're going to borrow money and I know I'll never see that money again. And then I also feel like an asshole for asking for the money, because you know, I make my family can't comprehend. But I also live in one of the most expensive cities, so it's not like I'm out here ball and it's like, yeah, what I pay in rent might be their mortgage for six months, you know, So it might look like I have this surplus of cash, but I have this huge bucket of expenses and I'm never you know, like the woman who gave me life, and never like I always want her to not have have what she needs, but we have what she wants as well. So I really appreciate you bringing up this conversation because I don't have kids, and I can't imagine trying to take care of children. But it is exhausting. It's emotionally exhausting, it is financially taxing. Then there's also those random tax bills that come up, and so when you have, you know, I think some of the income challenges and blessings that we have. That's another thing. It's hard to explain that to family, like you don't understand it. I'm paying a lawyer, or if I'm collecting the speaker fee, I'm paying an agent, I'm paying my speaking agent, I'm paying my overall agent. I'm paying the manager, I'm paying an assistant. Every like, there are things that I budgeted for and I allocated for this. Now, I don't always feel like there's a lot of consideration to that. I mean, I trust some people come to me they feel bad and they've gone through all the things. But I also look back, like god damn, like when we were younger. This is why I was trying to tell you should do this, this like makes a different decision and it didn't happen, and so I don't know. I just I feel guilty. I class guilt for sure.
Speaker 1: No, I feel that. I feel that. And sometimes our friends, family, wild ever sort of make us to feel, you know, sort of shamed or guilty in some way or another, because you remember, I gave my last for such and such and such, and I did my and I know about those things, so we feel some obligation there. I guess if I could, if something could be different about the dynamic I get, for me, it will probably be just don't call it alone if you don't really mean for it. Yeah, it's just something about that that just doesn't feel right. Yeah, you feel really taking advantage of and almost like playing for stupid, Like now you damn ll no, you ain't paid back the last six and you ain't about to pay back the seventh, and so don't say it, stop joshing me. Stop you know, acting like I was born last night, because that did. Something about that just doesn't feel honest with the relationship. And that's what I would say I sort of missed the most. There was a period in time where I just didn't want to take calls from them, you know, you know, from from from server. I knew what it was on the other end, and so I was like, you know what, I need peace today, Like I just can't get in the middle of it. And then also got to a stage where you know, you just need to leave a text or voicemail with the amount and like and then that's done and this is over. Like I don't want to have to fake I don't want to have to fake it. I don't ask me how I'm doing, how you've been, and you don't mean it. You know, I can see from the ring, I know it from this to the phone vibrates. Yeah. And but I also know that there are people who get out and they are working job. They're showing up to their job, they are working their job. They are getting the paycheck from the job, and before they can cash it, it is already spent on the bills and obligations. I know that life all too well. I remember trading, you know, paying you know, robing Peter to pay Paul, and then borrowing again, you know, off the Paul money and the serpent, you know, to do this. So I don't I don't I try not to act like I don't know what's going on. I get it, but then I also want on the other side for you to know that just because you saw me on a plane to d C the other day and then I was in New York, that ain't my person. I'm not I'm not here ball and taking trips every week.
Speaker 2: That is, it's your life and get made money. But they don't know as a work for somebody else's is putting the build. But all they said the highlight reel and make assumptions. But my point is even if you see me land on the bit on the beach in the Maldives, like so I budgeted for that, I worked for that, and I get to do that. So it's this is a sensitive topic. I you know, I I I didn't know we were going to talk about this. But it is making me feel even guilty right now, to be honest, because I also know like it's hard, Like there are people in my family where yes, we have the same opportunities, but we had different coping skills with life, we had different goals in life, and so I feel bad that I made certain decisions that other people did not. But what I'm working through is living for myself and choosing my joy because I can't carry other people's pain and it does. It pains me when my family it's even if their feelings are hurt, it pains me. And so when they ask, like it is difficult for me to say no, actually I saved his money. I wanted to get my hair done. You know, Johnny Wright got a pretty penny. I was like, I wanted to get my hair but it looks like it but it's like, yeah, I'm paying a lot of money, but I budgeted to be able to pay this money to get my hair done. Or I'm you know, speaking at this event and they're not paying for hair and makeup, like that had to come out of my own pocket. And so I feel like the asshole. And I'm like, damn, you can't pay your phone bill and I have it, except I want to go use it to get this fancy haircut. And then I feel guilty, and then I feel mad that I feel guilty about it, and I just can I get resentful that I'm forced to feel all yes, yes, And so I I know what this society has done to our people. I understand the wealth gap. I understand the decisions that our respective families have had to make. I understand what my uncles and different people in my life who have given me money and you know, just gifted me things for surplus just because I was their niece. But it can be taxing in every possible way. So I'm curious for my viewers if you guys can, if you are the the borrower, what are the circumstances that lead you to ask your auntie, a sister, a cousin for money? Do you pay it back? Do you so uncomfortable? How do you handle it? And if you are the one who is issuing funds to family, how do you guys handle it? And y'all know I read the comments, but I'm also asking just because I want some guidance for myself as I navigate my own emotions around it. Uh, how do y'all? How do y'all deal with it? And I don't know this to my parents for the record, like the people give me life, they just get to, you know, do whatever. I don't mind that.
Speaker 1: If I got it, you got it. Basically is you know, I think this is a charged topic for a lot of us in our community, and we've come by it the hard way because most of us know it so well, which is why we find ourselves so obedient to the request because at various points in our lives, and you know, God forbid in our future life will wee ever find ourselves on the on the side of need. But I will say, if I am ever on the side of need, when I have been on the side of need, I've made it my creed to pay people, and I like to do it right when I say, and I hope it's the next, very very next week if it can, because I know the feeling of I'll pay you back in I don't ever want.
Speaker 2: To be in character, and if I can't, I'm going to acknowledge it. At least I'm going to say, hey, for sure say something right, but just the assumption, I mean, that's just the behavior of men and women, grown adults. This is how how that goes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's real. Well, thank you all for indulging us in this conversation, and thank you TIF for sharing more of your personal love. Although I have to say I disagree with that comment because I think you are very, very vulnerable and open about what's going well it certainly if you're you know, doing some experimental stuff. You just you just set that camera up and we'll be the judge of it. Okay, y'all, thank you for being with us on this, on this mini pod. I hope you took something from it, and we are still expecting to get something from you. We want to hear your thoughts and reflections on how it is you negotiate.
Speaker 2: At this.
Speaker 1: And we kept it brief, so get it in the group chat. Take you everybody, Welcome Home.
Speaker 2: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.