Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three twelve, episode four of Guys.
Speaker 2: Wait, wasn't just three eleven?
Speaker 1: What's what's going on here? Oh? Somewhere in the mix that somebody came in the doc changed it to three twelve. This three eleven erasure? Yeah, will not stand. Okay, wait are we doing this?
Speaker 2: We're keeping this?
Speaker 1: I think we should keep it. Okay, there's a conspiracy to paper over yeah, season three eleven. Like it's the thirteenth floor elevator. Yeah, come on, super producer Victor apparently, I mean, you know we're gonna have to dig into his anti three eleven buy it? Anyways, I think? Yeah, so who knows when they crossed paths and wronged super producer Victor, But it definitely happened. Anyways. It's season three eleven, episode four of production of iHeart Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. That it is Thursday, November second, twenty twenty three. Oh yeah, this is our first full leap after Halloween. Yeah, a happy day after Halloween? Yeah, you exactly are two days? But yes, you know.
Speaker 2: What is today? It's National Men Make Dinner Day. Wow. Wow, a quality on the way. Just one day, just one day. Make men make dinner today this first Thursday November. Then it's National Devil deg Day. I'm with that national broadcast tour.
Speaker 1: Probably tied together a little bit, maybe the main course dark with a bag salad.
Speaker 2: And then also, oh, Jack, this was for you National Ohio Day and All Soul's Day. I don't know all I know it's All Saints Day and Day of the Dead. Oh this is apparently about Oh this is some religious about purgatory. And then to that, I say, who's to say this isn't purgatory?
Speaker 1: Aha? Uh huh? And happy all say is all Souls Day with your spirit. My name is Jack O'Brien.
Speaker 2: AKA.
Speaker 1: It's what it's and it's now or never. These pants won't stay dry forever. I'll just blame the stain on water us. It's what it's. You'rerethra like an open highway. I just had to get to the urethra leg and open a highway. Wow. Courtesy a Lacaroni on the discord, and I'm thrilled to be joined by the way. That song it's my life. Usually when when there's a song that I have to do for an Aka four. I'll go back and listen, and I'm always like, man, that that song actually is really good, Like there's something about this production like that when I listened to it as a song really stands out and I'm like, you know, there's some good song right this one? No such luck. I was like, what the fuck is jump On Jovie doing with his vocals and this ship. He's like he sounds like he's doing like a joke about like yarling voices. It sounds like he's like making fun of the singer of Nickelback. But anyways, we.
Speaker 2: Love you John, We love you Joanni.
Speaker 1: Thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles grad.
Speaker 2: WHOA, there, eleven is the season of the t d Z. WHOA, that's an intentional use of a redundant the waiting pumpkin. You get the T and t DZ is for the and you still did the tv TZ get it. Thank you for that. Giving all respect to the Omaha Nobraska rap rock reggae band three eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is you wait. They were not white supremacist Who's namek no right there.
Speaker 2: They were very clear They're like, we have nothing. First of all, what the fuck are y'all talking about? I think it was like the room number of their band room in high school. Yeah, I think I had something to do with the high school and not. That's why I remember I was about to go to three eleven show and I was like, wait, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna be around some weird skinhead people. But they've been pretty clear like no, we're not about this shit ever. So please please miss us with all of these readings into the name.
Speaker 1: Well Miles, we are thrilled to be joined by a wildly talented musician. Yeah, it's always fun to have a wildly talented musician on when we off key. I'm singing off key John b Joby covers about kissing my pants.
Speaker 3: Or the mouth trumpet. That was pretty good. The mouth trumpet.
Speaker 1: You are here with one of the best mouth trumpet tears in these United States. Wildly talented vocalist, songwriter, composer, whose most recent album was named among the best albums of the year by band Camp and The Sunday Times. She's performed on stages all over the world. YEP, now she's here listening to us sing badly. She's also the host of a podcast, radio series and live show called Movement. Please welcome the brilliantly talented mcleadella.
Speaker 2: Hell, what's up.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so happy to be here with y'all today.
Speaker 1: So good to have you, so good to have you.
Speaker 2: How's how's the weather in the Bay Area. You're coming to us from the Bay correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean every day is more or less the same, like wake up in the upper fifties, in the about seventy by the end, you know, but and then cold at night.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up in the bank, No, I.
Speaker 3: Grew up in a lot of places. I grew up in like well, the long list. I can do it in one breath.
Speaker 1: Okay, we go, okay A.
Speaker 3: Dusseldorf, Washington, d C, Cedar, Rapids, Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, Brooklyn, Jackensville, Gainesville, Miami, London for just a semester, but it was pretty formative. New have in Seattle and San Francisco almost twenty years. Yeah, yeah, yeah, for twenty years now, almost twenty years, almost one years.
Speaker 1: So that's a that's a real testament to San Francisco stands out among the pack. I finally won you over after all that wandering, not Cedar Rapids with the Quaker factory there.
Speaker 3: I remember the Quaker factory. I absolutely remember that. No, we didn't. We didn't know anybody else in this whole country except my dad's college professor, and he said, come on out and live with us, and so we spent some time in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It was very, very it was interesting.
Speaker 1: It was interesting, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming from Ethiopia to Iowa, that seems like a bit of a you're hitting the switch there and culture. Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a sort of that sound over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right, record scratch, amazing.
Speaker 1: Your dad was presumably a good student. None of my college professors were ever like, come live with me.
Speaker 2: They're like, wait, you're the guy that was always smelling like two day old beer.
Speaker 1: Old beer. This guy who like seemed perpetually hungover. We were actually like wondering how it was medically possible that you were that hungover all the time? Wait, wasn't that everybody in college? I was? I was particularly bad, Like I didn't stand up very much because of how hungover I was.
Speaker 3: You had that extra lean in the seat like you were all the way back, like almost laying.
Speaker 2: Down almost fetal in one of those like lecture all chairs.
Speaker 3: I can see it now, I can see it now. Yes, my dad was a genius. He is he is a genius. He speaks six languages. He's like, he's he is truly truly amazing. That's very amazing person.
Speaker 4: Yeah amazing. Well, we only speaks one language, so yeah, sucks same. Yeah, and my dad only speaks Philadelphian.
Speaker 3: Wait what's Philadelphian?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is a phrase of Philadelphia sassage? You say sassage and should say wood, although my dad doesn't. I actually can't tell. Like sometimes people will be like, oh, your parents have like a Philadelphia accent, and I can't hear it because, like all other voices are built out of their voices in my brain. So I'm like, do they? But yeah, no, he he's pretty like he's not deep Philly, Like, yeah, what's all how you doing? Let's get some wood?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 1: Yet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Wait, I literally have.
Speaker 2: Yet?
Speaker 1: Or like a.
Speaker 2: Ys is that Pittsburgh Pittsburgh?
Speaker 1: And people will tell you that Pittsburgh accents are very different from Philadelphia accents, and maybe if you are a lifelong connoisseur of the two, but there are some strain specifics, particulars of the Pittsburgh accent where they'll say anymore, they'll leave a hanging anymore that doesn't relate to anything. They'll say, do you guys eat anymore? Or something like that. It doesn't really make sense. But other than that, like it's very they're very similar. They are part of the same accent tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful, lovely, most lovely accents. Yeah, your dad did call uh this podcast a jawn, I remember he's yeah, all right, Well, McClean, we are gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment.
Speaker 1: First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of things we're talking about today. Joe Biden has apparently created some guardrails around AI technology because he saw the latest Mission Impossible movie. Like, that's straight up what happened. Is the leader of the free world, folks, the leader of the free world, and his media diet included the most s reason Mission a Possible movie, and he was like, we gotta do something. And that is both amazing and also not uncommon at all for US presidents. So we're going to take a look back at some other policies that we got because of you know, just movies that president some dude saw something because they were just like something was on HBO no.
Speaker 2: Way character Matthew Broderck is playing I don't care get him up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the genocidal rhetoric is getting more and more mainstream, and there there's just wild ship being said on on the fringes too, but like like Vivik Ramaswami, he said some some of the just fouls ship I've ever seen on like mainstream media outlets and kind of got away with it. And then there's just all sorts of shit happening and with like comedians and just like I don't know, Lindsay.
Speaker 2: Graham make it some really weird, very odd equivocations.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, talk about that. Just the Islamophobia is really out of control right now and no nobody really seems to want to talk about it, so we will. We'll also talk about Mariah Carey's newest video, ushering in the Christmas season.
Speaker 2: Love a segue like the unaddressed rampant Islamophobia in the United States and Mariah Carey, Yeah, oh silly excited Christmas.
Speaker 1: Shit, all of that plenty more, But before we get to it, mcleet. We do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: My search history right now is pretty much just music, music, music, music. I go down rabbit holes of music and cause it's like I'm always trying to find new immigrant musicians for the podcast. But if you think about it, like where do you find music? You find it in like certain you know, magazines or really from your friends like but the but I just go down rabbit holes. I just love going down rabbit hole. So I've I guess I was like, well, I think Instagram counts as like search history, So I was searching for like this wonderful Indian musician called Ganayeva. I've been looking at Alo Black and Leila Mcalla and just like I just go down rabbit holes of music. So that that's what I got for you.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought you were saying at first that your search history was literally music, music, music, music, and I was going to try that and see what I got. I'll try I'll test it out and let you guys know what the first result of.
Speaker 2: Right I've there, do you like, what do you when you say rabbit hole? Because like I kind of do the same thing when I'm like on a music app where sometimes if I like an artist and it says other artists like this, I just never stopped clicking those to see where it takes me because I was always like, I remember in the days of my Space, when I was really into a musician, and faithfully music pages on my Space, he be like, and my influences are, and they would just give you a huge block of names. I would always use that to kind of put me on to new stuff. But is that sort of what's your methodology here?
Speaker 3: I use the algorithms, but I also like to see who's friends with who. So you see people commenting on each other's posts a lot, right, And that's sort of interesting because I like the way that you see communities overlap. I'm like, who is interacting with whom, who's building community with whom?
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 3: And then and then that leads me to a lot of other music as well.
Speaker 2: And then then from there you got to do a little background to be like, Okay, are you do you qualify in the Are you in the bracket of immigrant musician in another country? So yeah, I get, I get. I can see how the research can be exhausted.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of it's a lot of research, but it's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who's Who's someone that you stumbled upon that you're like, oh, this is one of the greatest musicians that I've completely had idea about.
Speaker 3: I think, well, let's see through that whole process. A little while ago, I stumbled onto an artist called Sancha and she's a Mexican singer.
Speaker 1: Based in La Okay.
Speaker 3: And she's like, she could be an opera singer, she could be like she's this like deep belting ranchera comes from this, like you know, drag queen background. I was just like, oh my god, I love you.
Speaker 2: Oh wha, yeah, okay son sa n c ha two words, Okay, yeah, I'm checking this now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love It's like my favorite thing because there's nothing more like life affirming to hear music that excites you.
Speaker 1: You know. There's so many.
Speaker 2: Times like you hear things you're like, Okay, that's fine, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 1: But then you hear something you're.
Speaker 2: Like, I didn't know I was waiting to actually hear this and I couldn't articulate it, but here it is in front of me, and that is like, my It's the highest of the high.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, yes, indeed.
Speaker 1: And if you had searched me music music, music, music, you will come gotten music. Exclamation point music, exclamation point music, exclamation point. Put another nickel in? A popular song written by Steven Weiss and Bernie Baum and published in nineteen fifty was.
Speaker 3: Put a nickel in. I was gonna say, like nineteen fifteen, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, put another nicchol in fella exactly. Yeah, But I guess this this was when they were just finding out about music. The song is just them for repeating music. This music. Holy cow. What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: Front row seats?
Speaker 1: Mm?
Speaker 3: Because the sound is never good in the front row. It's never ever good. The speakers are in front, speakers are almost right in, like above you, so the sound doesn't come to you. And you're like, yeah, I mean I'm being showered by the spit of the singer and that's you know, one thing right, But that doesn't sound that good. So I think front seats are over front row seats are overrated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got COVID from Beyonce, but man, the low end was really all muddled though from the seats. I don't know why I think I was right underneath the PA system.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think, yes, knowing about acoustics or sonic, you know this, the the way sound moves is so like vital to especially going to like a big time, like a huge festival, because a lot of times you'll see people try and get as close to the front as they can, but you know how they'll be like rows of speakers to.
Speaker 1: Like sound systems to like facilitate the crowd.
Speaker 2: I'm like, don't go there like you're not gonna you're gonna hear the worst version of this, like get in front of those speakers so you're getting you can actually hear it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm always I'm always.
Speaker 2: Pleasantly surprised to see how people are like just going there while leaving like the parts that the areas that sound good available to other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so do you notice do you notice that when you're up on stage, like the people down front are just there to like try and catch a drop of your sweat, So I don't want to be near you.
Speaker 2: But they all have that like that for the wrong reason. They got a listening horn though, from like the eighteen hundreds to be like this is how I make it sound good because I'm too put.
Speaker 1: A nickel in it, say music music hot, damn.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We we're all performers here, We've all been on stage, but what I have never been a musician performing around the world on stages around the world. Are there any things that you notice, like about you know, how people are transported, like how you know other than like this is very this is great information that like front row seats at concerts are overrated. I've never gone and sat in the front road of concert, so this makes me feel very confident about all my decisions and stinginess up to this point. But anything else that you can tell us just as a as a bet, as someone who's been there making music that is moving people.
Speaker 3: I think, you know the I think the thing that's coming to my mind is like I think the audience doesn't really like audiences don't fully understand how much of an impact they can have on the show, Like an audience is. You know, there's all different kinds of audiences, And you start to notice over time you've been when you've been to different cities over and over again, like different cities start to have different characters. So like, you know, New York audience is like so used to so much music, Like they're like, okay, you got to prove it to me, right, you know, so you have a lot of more root work to do up top. But if you go to an audience in like Montreal, they are just like like it's the difference between an audience saying the same words, show me what you can can do. But a Montreal audience will be like, show me what you could do, and a New York audience will be like, okay, showing what you can do.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: But like the way that you the way that you give as an audience member, can totally like up the show, Like you can make the same show ten times better by putting your own kind of energy into the mix, you know, so because then when you start to feed off that from the stage, it just amps the whole thing up and makes it more joyful. So I would say, like the thing that is also underrated is like hootin' and hollering from jump, Like you do that and you're gonna get a better experience.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, and moving your But like I know in La too, like playing shows in La and like a lot of in the West Coast too, but La, especially there is like a there's a cool factor too if you're playing a show and the crowd does not know your work and it is very it almost feels like arms are crossed where they're like cause so many people too are also like in bands in the audience.
Speaker 1: Like louse, you're just just better than what the folk I can do.
Speaker 2: And then but the best thing is like when people just move, you know what I mean, even if you can't if you don't want to hoot and holler, just a head nod, just being but uncrossing your arms. That body language too. It does a lot for people for sure.
Speaker 1: How do us audiences compared like it kind of in the middle or are they.
Speaker 3: Oh, like like a Chicago audience is like a Montreal audience. But I think the difference is like like if you're performing in Ethiopia or like when I performed in Egypt and things like that. You know, the idea there is they will clap and you know, express themselves when it's when it touches them and so they will tell you they are like your living pulse on when you as an artist are in a place that is like you know that like electric place with a little bit of sparkle and an extra kind of vibe like they will say, there it is, I saw it. Now keep going there, and it's like a so it's it just it just it helps to bring the whole thing into ah, you know, a flow, a flow state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, we talk about that all the time. Shut out me, Hi chick sent me high Okay, Yeah, yeah, it's the neurologys to.
Speaker 1: Yea and I remember we did. We did a whole episode.
Speaker 2: He's the neurologist who are like, yeah, yeah, like finding flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of research into flow state and how to achieve that. Yeah. I just I feel like the US probably has a little bit harder of a time. We were just talking about this with relation to the similarities between being sleep depraved and having like alcoholic beverages, Like you're killing, you're making, you're you're wearing out that inner like break pusher, the thing that pushes the brakes and is like constantly on you being like don't move your body like that. People people behind you were probably watching you and judging. You know, you're on TikTok now, yeah exactly, but yeah that's cool. What's uh, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Okay? Two things stovetop espresso, which I think is just like the percolators. They're just great.
Speaker 2: Oh that metal thing, right, yeah yeah, the metal thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think there.
Speaker 3: I think they're I think it's better than French press. I think it's better than a pour over. You know, it might not be better than like one hundred year old French machine or something, but I think it's the best juga too, you know. And then the other thing I like that I think is underrated are the cheapy headphones that you get from flight attendants on flights because they always come in handy at the exact time when you can't find your other shit. Oh, it's like you're like, wait a minute, I have one of these in my purse, and then like you need it and you have it, and those are my two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's from I'm like such a headphone nerd. Like I'm like, I got my own cans, thank you so much, because the fidelity is way too fucked up from my ears. But hey, maybe maybe my mother would like it because she doesn't care about how shit sounds.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I never thought of it as like sort of like having like a package of Kleenex or something too where you're like, oh, headphones, wait, I got I know. I have a pile of them from every flight I go on exactly Now I will be less stuck up, and I will accept them gleefully.
Speaker 3: You just take them as your backup, right right.
Speaker 1: Some of them break like one and a half uses into a life cycle, but sometimes like that, that's not a rule, and sometimes they'll last you a year. You know, they'll just be you get the the real ones that U are able to kind of stick together. I thought stuff Top Espresso was the stuff Top Stuffing brand expanding into the world espresso. So I'm very glad to hear that that's not what's happening.
Speaker 2: Just add water to like the powder there it is, and microwave it.
Speaker 3: My god, you thought I mean Ethiopian.
Speaker 2: I would never serious about the coffee.
Speaker 1: That's that's where my American brain went. Of course, of course, of course, so it's probably comes in a box, the stuff Top Espresso. It's like, what isle is that in? Where do I find that? All right, Well, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about presidents creating foreign policy based on some movies they just saw and we're back and yeah, So earlier this week, Biden signed an executive order establishing new guardrails around AI technology. I remember like when when it happened, it being like now really like this is this is what you're I mean? Yes, AI is like was a big story a few months back, and there's definitely a lot going on there and we need to be keeping our eye on it. But this is just like the timing seemed weird, like as there's this horrifying war happening being waged by US ally Israel and being funded and armed by by the US, and he's like, so this AI stuff, am I right?
Speaker 2: So what about student loan? Student loan forgive?
Speaker 1: According to Joe, this was partly due to someone showing him, first of all, a deep fake of himself of himself, to which he responded, when the hell did I say that?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Hey you laughing? So I don't cry, I know.
Speaker 2: And it's but the thing is, it's so it's so believe it's you just know that happened, like I don't even know, like you know, like one night when nice did I say that?
Speaker 1: Well, and he's doing it as like a folkesy like thing where He's like, thing was so good, fooled me me. But it's like, yeah, but right now you are struggling with our ability to believe that you can hold it together, so you can't make self effacing jokes in that tenor right now, like we need you to just shit together a little bit. Yeah, he didn't say exactly what deep fake it was, but I do hope that it was the one where he and Vladimir Putin are playing in olymp biscuit cover band. But we just don't know.
Speaker 2: What the hell did I say? I did it all for the nookie, so I can.
Speaker 1: Take that cookie.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: But then, according to Deputy White House Chief Bruce Reid, who I feel like has to be on Biden's shitlist for this one. So part of Biden's concern over a I came after he watched Mission Impossible, Mission Colon Impossible, m Dash, Dead Reckoning Part one. They did not put a call in between Dead Reckoning Part one because too many, too much punctuation, but it probably should be there. At Camp David, he was like, yeah, I watched it with him, man, and he turned to me and was like, oh.
Speaker 2: No, And then I got a lot of movies to show Joe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you sure this wasn't an Onion article, right?
Speaker 1: I know? Yeah too real. So this is a movie in which Tom Cruise battles a computer that can literally see into the future, and obviously a lot of people are like Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Jojo. The quote from Reid, which this is the quote that I feel like gets his ass fire. If he hadn't already been concerned about what could go wrong with AI before that movie, he saw plenty more to worry about, said Reid, who watched the film with Biden. So you have watched it with him and was like, oh, yeah, man, he was. He was shaking.
Speaker 2: You think he was doing that thing like like black people do when they watch a movie, like grabbing each other and pushing each other the fuck. What the fuck's going on here? He's like, Oh, sir, it's it's it's just chat box right now. It's not doing this shit quite yet.
Speaker 1: I do. This does concern me because the version in his brain that he is, you know, passing legislation against we're trying to address, is the version of AI that the heads of the companies who do who are creating this, and you know, putting the money into this and releasing the products that are using this. This is the version. This is the danger they want us to believe him, Like, this is the one they're always talking about, and so it's probably not the one we actually need to worry about, right, you know, it's like they want it to be. They're like, we're guys, we're playing with fucking dynamite over here. This thing is gonna turn into the T one thousand, so you better watch out, and you also better be nice to us because we have immense power. And he seems to be like, yeah, I saw the movie. Man, I got that presidential debriefing, if you know what I'm saying. But I see the light exactly exactly. But yeah, I mean Lewis Fertel tweeted imagining Biden watching Mission Impossible, tilting his head to the sky and yelling fuck. But this is, of course, far from the first time that a president has used a dumb movie as justification for policy. A far more reprehensible time was the time that Trump was using scenes from Sikario two in order to defend his border wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like, the cars, they're just supercars.
Speaker 1: They go faster than they're faster than our police.
Speaker 2: The jet Yeah, it's like, what are you talking about? They go faster than the police cars. And everyone's like, do you know what movie came out over the holiday break that he probably just saw. It's a Car EO two where they had jet powered fucking smuggler cars.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, of course, and he had the He probably just saw the the jet powered cars like he. Trump is famously the guy who had like all the boring scenes edited out of like blood Sport, so not a movie known for like its long periods of exposition, but he was like, this is this is too boring, Just get to the fights. But the king of this shit was not surprisingly because he was an actor and probably should have remained one. Ronald Reagan, who not unlike Biden, was way too old to have his job and also not onlike Biden, screened a popular movie at Camp David and promptly freaked the fuck out. That movie was War Games, the eighties thriller starring Matthew Broderick. I don't know if it was follow up to Ferris Bueller's Day Off or yeah, well, Firris Bueller's Day Off was a follow up to this, but it's about a teenager who hacks into government supercomputer, and Reagan brought it up at a White House meeting, asking the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Uh, well, could something like this really happen? Well, that's well, is the only word I can say, Like Ronald reckon, unfortunately, but this actually true. This led to a revamp of US cybersecurity policies, and clips from war games were even shown at congressional hearings.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, what I just yeah liked, Like, don't believe me. Look at this freaky clip of Matthew Broaderick in a movie story. Yeah, so this is not real. However, this is the basis for this legislation.
Speaker 1: So yes, even Matthew Broderick, the kid who could back into his principal's computer and change his grades. I couldn't get a hold of this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He just identifies Matthew Broderick as like a person of interest, like, you know, like being a potential criminal. He's like, I've seen enough, take.
Speaker 1: This guy down. He was apparently a huge fan of the fifties alien movie The Day of the Earth stood Still and believed that the US and the USSR would certainly resolve their differences and unite if only aliens invaded. And he literally brought this theory up during a meeting with Gorbachev, Like.
Speaker 3: Wow, and Gorbachev is just doing his best to keep it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like probably looking around the room like he's like like looking at his interpreter again, He's like, hold on one more time. He said, what the fucking uh? Yes, see, we know that I think we could be friends.
Speaker 4: Huh when we.
Speaker 3: Know that movies have like this proportionate effect on our narratives, but you don't think that it's going to be so literal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like we shouldn't look there are a lot of ways that like the young and the old overlap, and you know, I know that I shouldn't show my five year old Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part one, And maybe we should start thinking about what media we allow the president to see because he just might not be ready for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're fuck it man, Like if there's some like shows man bluie rogue progressives in that administration to be like, I don't know you said this shit where he's like, yeah, so we're gonna fully fund Medicare for all, Like I'm going all in on gun control. We're doing a fault weapons band, like you said this shit, Joe. Yeah, and he's like, okay, oh yeah, okay, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yep, yep, yep. I'm yeah. We got to create a media diet, like a movie playlist for his ass, you know, because he is clearly very open to suggestion. Yeah, if anybody has a you know, some suggestions on what we should put on the Joe Biden movie playlist, hit us up. Yeah, because we do have a direct line to the White House, so yeah, we have access to the plex server.
Speaker 2: They use a camp dare, so we can just put that shit right in there. And he's thinking, he's watching a rerun of The Simpsons and it's about to be some heavy shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can get Matthew Broderick to hack in there.
Speaker 2: Biden's like, who did this Broaderick?
Speaker 1: He also Reagan also famously got his Strategic Defense Initiative idea aka star Wars from Citizens Advisory Council on National Space Policy, which was led by two sci fi authors and a lot of people speculated the idea for star Wars, which was like a massive failure. He was like, we're going to put weapons in space that can like shoot down nuclear weapons from outer space. And they were like, the technology for that's like one hundred two hundred years away. And he was like, well do it.
Speaker 2: Let's let's go.
Speaker 1: And so they did it, and people were like, oh, he was in this movie called Murder in the Air, which is a nineteen forty spy adventure about a magic machine that protected the United States from air attack. So that's where that's coming from. And he spent trillions. Damn.
Speaker 2: They should show Joe Biden the creator then he really wants to go.
Speaker 1: Creator would be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we need.
Speaker 1: More death from above. Yeah, oh yeah, he just sides with the US.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like exactly, so we got to build that.
Speaker 1: I like the first part, man, I like yeah, I like that part.
Speaker 2: The character Reagan Place was called Brass Bancroft. These names, yes, so fucking wild broke.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah why notft? Yes, sir, Good for you man, Good for you for you man. Love it all right, let's talk real quick about some of the horrifying rhetoric that we're seeing. It's becoming mainstream, you know. While Joe Biden continues to be soft on net and Yahoo and just basically co signed the slaughter of Palestinian people. The rhetoric is getting just fucking out of hand and islamophobic and incredibly dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, at best, woefully disconnected from humanity and at worst absolutely homicidal. And I just want to point out two remarks I've heard in the last few days. So Vivid Ramaswami, who's struggling to remain relevant in the presidential primary, he spoke to the Republican Jewish Coalition in Las Vegas and said, quote and he said quote, if Israel and Massad want to take out every last leader of Hamas wherever they may be hiding, from Doha to Dresden, host a red wedding at the Four Seasons and cutter the next time the leaders are in town, they should go ahead and do it. And we're like, I'm sorry, are we using Game of Thron's rhetoric here?
Speaker 1: The huh?
Speaker 2: Then he went on Pierce Morgan's show and said that I would love nothing more than for the IDF forces or the IDF to put the heads of the top one hundred Hamas leaders on spikes and line them up on the Israel Gaza border as a sign that October seventh will never happen again. That was even too much for Pierce Morgan somehow, what was like, Uh, what he's like? That just sounds like pouring fuel on an out of control fire, Like what do you like? And also these are war crimes, like we're really raw raying this stuff for clout and just very like I don't know what the reaction was in the room, but I guess maybe he's maybe I don't know if he has like a Game of Thrones based foreign policy and everything is going to be put through that lens as he tries to connect with voters or something. But again, wild wild things to say as someone who is in pursuit of the White House. Then there was Lindsey Graham. He was on CNN two nights ago and essentially said that the number of civilian casualties should not deter Israel by any stretch of the imagination. Let me play this for you really quick, Savine character, is.
Speaker 6: There a threshold for you? And do you think there should be one for the United States government? And which the US would say, let's hold off for a second in terms of civilian casualties Is there a point at which you would start to question a lot?
Speaker 5: If somebody asked us after World War two, is there a limit what you would do to make sure that Japan and Germany don't conquer the world. Is there any limit what Israel should do to the people who are trying to slaughter the Jews. Answers, No, there is no limit. But here's what you need to do. Be smart. Let's try to limit savine casualties the best we can't. Let's put humanitarian aid in areas that protect Danisent.
Speaker 2: I'm all for that anyway. So he goes on to be like it's wild to say there is no limit, but also like you got to be careful. It's like you can't have that both ways. First of all Instagram, And also how are you likening the Axis powers of World War two to the Gaza strip?
Speaker 1: Right? Like?
Speaker 2: Where what on earth are you talking about? And these are the people that have they have votes, you know, to decide what our foreign policy is. And he's out here casually saying this kind of stuff. I mean, this is it's just so it's just wild to see because I feel like I think like many people were like in some kind of Twilight Zone where like I feel like we're they're like a lot of these politicians are using this dusty ass propaganda playbook to manufacture consent for further military action when so many people, myself included because I was I was coming of age during the Second Iraq War that I remember how everything was like, don't matter, We're going in there and everybody's getting messed up. You saw nine e you saw nine you saw nine eleven, And that same way of like pointing to this like this event to then say now everything's on the table is horrifying, especially now because we live in an era where you can see what the actual the the results are of this kind of rhetoric.
Speaker 1: And democrats y'all.
Speaker 2: Are also doing a terrible job. The best I'm hearing are forceful call calls for a humanitarian pause.
Speaker 1: I mean, you even heard it in the CNN interview. The thing that she's trying to get Lindsay Grahant or just asking Lindsay Graham, like the humane position is would the US or would Israel stop for a Secondly? I believe she literally said for a second.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, well, the and the rhetoric that you know, you see like from a lot of the defense, like the Hawks in Congress is sort of like, well, any pause allows them to build up munitions or fortify their positions, and it's like, I'm sorry, they are not out here to take over the world. Like I get how maybe in the forties you're like, this is what it's trying to do. He's trying to take over the fucking world. But this is not this situation by any stretch of the imagination, and to liken it to that further dehumanizes these people and allows for this kind of shit to continue. And like everything, I feel like there's such an outsized emphasis on what is happening with the Jewish people who are living around the world. And I completely understand that seeing groups of Jewish people be senselessly slaughtered is horrifying and will put you in a position like, oh my god, this is bringing back all kinds of things, because this is something that is very relevant to the history of my people. But I don't see a single thing that's really actually centering what the experience is for Muslim people, for Arab people, for other people who just might see their situation unfolding in a very similar way that it is in Gaza and the West Bank and I meanwhile, you have people like Lindsay Grahm comme on. They're like, yeah, it's all good man, like it doesn't matter how many civilians die, or Vivic Ramaswami being like yeah, call me George R. R. Martin with it Like no.
Speaker 3: I mean the dehumanization, the devaluation of Palestinian life is just unbelievable. And it's like you want him humanitarian aid. Yes, we need humanitarian aid. Turn all the water, turn on the first thing, give people clean Like that seems like an act that you could take in a heartbeat. In a second, they.
Speaker 1: Claim they turned on the water, but all the pipes they bombed everything, so you can't fucking yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and not to mention that like some of the pumps require energy to move the water, and if there's no electricity or fuel, then what And it's just wild how you start that thing, you know, right exactly, like using a siphoning hose or something to move water around. And the it's just wild to see that the like the hammer come down on people who have out loud just called for things like a ceasefire. Yes, And I think that's really it just shows you where like the momentum of where this thing is going, and like where what the media is just allowing it to be too, Like I mean, I'm slowly starting to see more like diverging opinions be represented on TV. But these first couple of weeks it felt like, bro, don't even say anything about Palestinian people, don't even try it. And that is so so disheartening too, because after seeing what this country went through or tried to have a reckoning with white supremacy in twenty twenty and seemingly thinking like we understood what oppression was, like we get to this one and now we've gone completely in just outer space with it. And that's what's really I think messes a lot of people up because they're like, of course, innocent Israeli civilians don't deserve to be killed, but how are we now just acting like those those destroyed buildings don't have human beings under the rubble, don't have screams coming out from under there, that are actual legitimate human beings that had nothing to do with what happened on October seventh.
Speaker 3: And children have nothing to the thousands and thousands of children. Yeah, you know, how can you say, you're targeting militants when children are dying at these levels.
Speaker 2: There was a there was even one of these, like a lieutenant colonel from the IDF was on Wolf Blitzer Show, and even Wolf Blitzer was like, so you bombed this refugee camp and the IDF spokes were was like, well, yeah, but there was a mosque commander in there, and they're like, yeah, but you but you knew there were you knew there were refugees there, like people had been displaced, and he's like yeah, and he's like, well you drop the bomb, keep bombed it anyway, and he's just sort of like Wolf, that's just kind of like the tragedy of war, you know, and just leaving it like there, and I like, just to hear those things said out loud and not like have any sort of real counterbalance to that is also just it's just it's hard to watch because we see this play out so many times in so many different ways around the world. But yeah, it's it's so vivid right now and you're just asking, like, it's the best we can do is ask for a pause to the bombing and then because that presumes that it will resume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just quick pause. Just let's take a let's take a beat, you know. Yeah, that's the best that we're we've got going in the mainstream media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and but yeah, and so again I think this is and this is this goes along with you you're saying, I'm seeing more and more people starting posting that polling about how Joe Biden's support is cratering with so many groups right now because of the lack of action or just even words that seemingly come off as being acknowledging, like the value of human life. And but hey, I don't even know, like I guess when when the when the war machine is like in the on position, like like they don't give a fuck about polls or anything or what public sentiment is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and it is time. It's is that the catchphrase of Michael Buffer, Bruce Buffer, Bruce Buffer is the brother, right, isn't Michael. Michael came with the let's get ready to rumble, which I just got sued for I no longer have a job, And then his brother came and was like, oh, you think that's good. Well, you can hire me, and I'll say it's time. Thank you, three claps in a hollow empty AUDITORIM So Mariah Carey came for him, though she's stepping on his his turf. This happens every year. It's becoming it's become a tradition that at midnight on Halloween, Mariah Carey drops a video that is basically her being like, all right, it's time. It's Christmas time. Now it's November first, November first, it's Christmas time. This is apparently the beginning of the Christmas season. Starbucks agrees. Starbucks Holiday Cups are hitting stores today on the second.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I know why, but come on, let's have a little let's have a little bit of a break really quick before we go dive that first into the ship.
Speaker 1: But okay, so they went. They went creative with the video this year. And so it opens with a vault in like I don't know, like an elaborate vault somewhere in the North Pole is kind of vibe I got. You go in the vault and there there's Jason four Keys, ghost Face from scream YEP, by the way, goes Face from scream a pumpkinhead goes Face from Scream, the most popular Halloween costume I saw last night really or on Halloween night. Yeah, Trigger treat like for ages two through adults were creepy. Yeah, it was way the way a two year old would walk too.
Speaker 2: It's already like not graceful. So like add that with like murder costume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Scream is in the collective bloodstream right now. But anyways, Yeah, so we got Jason, we got ghost Face from Scream, we got Pumpkinhead and a fourth monster who they don't really show, so I'm assuming they didn't get the rights to them. They are, right. And then there's Mariah Carey in a big block of ice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then she hits that whistle tone shatters the ice block that she's encased in, like this is demolition Man or something. And then it's like it's time. And then we get the song and wait, wait what does she say?
Speaker 1: They say it.
Speaker 2: I can't time that whist Look, nobody can hit those whistle tonesiders. I won't even try, But I don't just wild how it goes from the war Like Jack you're talking about it is like you were saying, how it's funny to think that they're all hanging out like in this vault, like with Mariah Carey most days of the year basically, and.
Speaker 1: They're also using when when we find them, they are helping her get out of the block of ice by using HND using hair dryers on the block of ice. So this posits a world where Jason v Borghie's and ghost Face and all the famous slasher monsters are just like dying to defrost her and get the holiday season started. Yeah, so they don't stop murdering. They don't like murder.
Speaker 2: And also that Mariah Carey does a cryo sleep from the end of like December twenty sixth to November first, every.
Speaker 1: Year, which would explain how she is aging backwards because that is true. Incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she just look incredible. I think I don't even think she's saying it's time for the holiday season. She's saying it's time for me to have another number one hit with that same song again. Yes, do we know like everything every year it's number one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh yeah, do we know the economics of what that is? Like, Like I don't. I'm so curious, Like is charting number one? And I'm sure like you're getting a lot of spins or whatever. It's translating to some kind of money. But like, I wonder what exactly like that check is looking like every year, which she's like, I'm done with it.
Speaker 3: I think it's but it's probably it's like the streaming. It's enough streams that it's probably real streaming money. But it's also like the placements.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay. Article from Billboard on the third of this year, the third day of this year, January third, twenty twenty three, Mariah carries All I Want for Christmas is you adds twelfth week a top hot one hundred.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: That is wild. She makes They say she makes around three million dollars a year from it from that. Yeah, just from yeah, just from that playing. Yeah, let alone the commercials of the licensing.
Speaker 1: They do not mark pay you for streams, so like that's a lot of streams. That is That means that that song is playing in a million households across America right now.
Speaker 3: It's probably like at any given second, it's playing somewhere.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, oh yeah, what other song?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's powerful.
Speaker 3: He's pretty smart. I have to say, like, that's can.
Speaker 2: You imagine like all, like the way we've shifted up Christmas earlier and earlier and earlier, it's all because of Mariah. She's like, no, no, no, watch this, watch this. You want me to really mess up people's marketing plans? Drop the video on November first?
Speaker 3: But how we have we reached the limit? Like, there's no way that Christmas can go before? How can Christmas go before Halloween?
Speaker 2: July fifth, July third? That would be total domination. And she's like, it's July first. You know what that means? Get ready? Just blown it up?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: But I mean the thing is too I'm despite it being played so much. I'm not tired of it. No, I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Because you got a nine month break, right, you got a nine month break. You don't have to hear it in March. You know?
Speaker 2: Are you a fan of All I Want for Christmases? You?
Speaker 3: I am a fan of Mariah Carey. When her first record came out, I was like, like, when I was a kid, you know, huge fan and that you know that high pitch screen. So I definitely listened to her at a very formative time, and I just have a lot of love for her, Like you know, maybe in my teenage years, I you know, turned away. But and it's not like I play her regularly, but I have a lot of love for her and appreciation for her, and I think she's she's I don't know, she's quite the business woman, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean I again, I just want to I really want to see like some forensic accounting about like because everyone's estimating. Some people are saying she's made sixty million dollars in total since the song has come out. Other people are saying it's like two and a half to three million a year. I really just want I really want to know, Like I want to see how Mariah Carey sees the world when it's time to dust that this track off and be like, oh baby kid less, just turn the money hos on please.
Speaker 1: To quote o dB baby baby, come on, baby, come on baby. Another song that I can still turn on a fantasy remix. Oh my yeah, that's yeah, still goes so hard. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: What about just how are you with Christmas music in general as a musician with.
Speaker 3: Hey, I really don't like it? Yeah yeah, really I can't. I can't with the Christmas music. My family really loves it and they play a lot, like around Christmas time. I can't get away from it with my family, but I cannot. But that song, I don't mind the other The only other Christmas songs that I kind of like is that the otis reading Marry Christmas Baby. Yeah. You know, it's like you gotta have something in there that's like underneath it, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly, because if you're just hearing like Dean Martin and Ship all day, yeah, I mean, hey, drunk being Crosby, you're cool, but like give us a little bit of soul. That's why I have like a little bit of Sharon Jones, like Holiday album that's also really good too, that you got It. You kind of gotta level it out with some you know, dap Kings sometimes too, but yeah, Jack got a favorite.
Speaker 1: The Otis Redding one is really good by the bye Uh Toots. Oh yeah, I love I love that one. Yeah. I need a little something extra.
Speaker 2: I think we call it seasoning, little seasoning. Yeah, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 1: The little the mayonnaise sandwiches from bing Crosby every year, just not getting it done for me. I like that one Pretenders song that's kind of about Santa Claus it's like a very sad song about Santa Claus. Yeah, that that one's really good. I like that one John Lennon song, Happy Christmas War is Over. I've got I've got a whole playlist, though, you know.
Speaker 2: And what's most what's the one that you're you're plugging your ears when you hear.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I don't know, maybe Blue Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah it does. It does feel like you should be drinking like gin and like out of a brown bag, like in like a snowy alley when you know what I mean, it doesn't bust up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't fel like my family, my family, Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of a lot of songs that were just like, yeah, and you can't be with the people you love.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: It's actually yeah, yeah, like we're already having a hard time with the weather.
Speaker 1: You feel like that's an overserved market, guys, people people who can't be with the people that love.
Speaker 3: I'll be Home for Christmas, which is a good song, but oh it's so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do regret to inform you that I could listen to you sing the Otis song all day. So you might have album Christmas album, Christmas album.
Speaker 3: But you know, well, I mean then you look at Ryan Carrey and you're like, this is a good idea, right, but does it have to be does it? Here's here's my thing, here's my thing. It doesn't have to be Christmas. There's a lot of holidays, like you could write you could write a song. You write a Halloween song, it plays every Halloween. You write it like, you could do it with any holiday, and there would actually be less competition if you were doing it around like another holiday.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Yeah, yeah, it's a New Year New.
Speaker 3: Year's song, Like that's there's a in fact, I have a I have a New year song coming out on a there's an Ethiopia New Year's is like a really really really big holiday, and I have an Ethiopia New Year's song coming out for the next Ethiopian New Year's and I know now forever every year it will be bumped.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, there you go, I found the pocket and here I am because I remember that was like it was like standard operating procedure for like pop artists for decades, like where's.
Speaker 1: Your Christmas album? In sync?
Speaker 2: Your Christmas album? Any Lennox and you're like, what, okay, sure, but yeah, give us something to give us. Someone give us a Halloween album.
Speaker 1: Halloween is probably the least underserved of all the other holidays, and rightly so, it is the best holiday, but it's still like a little thin, like after you get through Thriller and Monster Master Mash and like there are definitely the iconic hits, but it's like Christmas could have its own just radio station year round. Yeah it shouldn't, but it could easily have that. There's just no like Halloween is like a couple hours playlist and you're like, h should we do the Monster Mash again? Where we're doing that like Purple People Eater song that was like say for like kids birthday parties in the nineteen fifties, Like what the fuck are we doing here?
Speaker 3: I want to say, like there should be the Mother's Day and Father's Day song, so because that also would like that seems like I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Mama, yeah, Mama, you know, love you. I mean there's that one, but yeah, where's that one? Where's the one for dads? There's a lot of ones that's like shut out to you, dad, Butterfly kisses. Oh, it's it's just a dance being real schmaltzy. That one is the freakiest fucking song. The fuck is when you go to a wedding and you got the first dance to that song. I've been to more than one wedding where Butterfly Kisses was the like the bride and Father dance track, and I'm like, yo, this is like a little this is too freaky.
Speaker 1: Man. No, yeah, there's a good father song fire. I think it's called Father of the Bride by Hamilton Lighthouser from The Walkman. I recommend that.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, all right, are they're gonna say father of Mine?
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that a song?
Speaker 2: No, it's the bride's dad, I ever clear? Father of mine? Oh yeah, don't where have you been?
Speaker 1: Okay? This one is about like unfortunately it's not interesting. If it's a good dad, it has to be like the bride's dad. The song I was talking about is like about a dad who's like shows up to his daughter's wedding and like gives a speech and he's like a little drunk and his like suit is like dirty, but it's kind of cute. Oh man, did you do you know?
Speaker 2: You know the Butterfly you've heard Butterfly Kisses.
Speaker 3: I mean I can hear the guy's voice, like, you know, like.
Speaker 1: It's like about blinking into his daughter's eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I cannot. I cannot remember the song. And I'm not sure if it's because I've blocked it out or because I actually don't remember.
Speaker 2: But it's like each thing's like there's two the first lyrics, there's two things I know for sure. She was sent from heaven and she's Daddy's little girl. As I dropped to my knees by her bed at night, she talks to Jesus and I closed my eyes and I thank.
Speaker 1: God for all of the joy in my life. Oh but most of all for Butterfly.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of creepy somehow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's definitely like squarely inside the culture that gave us like purity promises and shit like that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the next person, sweet sixteen, today, she's looking like her mama, a little.
Speaker 1: One part woman, the other part girl.
Speaker 2: Yo, easy, dad, easy dad.
Speaker 1: Don't let the fuck up. Don't let this guy give a speech at your wedding, and.
Speaker 3: Don't play this at a wedding, for God's sake.
Speaker 1: DJ it's it's like see something like daughter.
Speaker 2: He's like, she'll change your name today, She'll make a promise and I'll give her away. Standing in the bridegroom just staring at her. She asked me what I'm thinking, and I said, I'm not sure. I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl. Okay, Bob, thanks Bob Carlile.
Speaker 3: One of the ways that's her, my man, is this like one of the ways that we've come a long way around patriarchy? Like you can all like be horri No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty years later, for sure, we're like, you don't own her, Bob Carlyle, Bob Carlile.
Speaker 1: Like that just sounds like the name of your fucking like typing teacher from middle school or something.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Bob Carlile. Do you hear the song Bob Carlile wrote about his daughter. Wow, it's a banger, man, Absolutely, It's the most dadass name I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, you just feel something coming up to Hey, Bob Carlile, nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Carlile, nice to meet you. Keep your damn hands off my little girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know that you know that handshake, man, you know, and you know that handshake is compensed Satan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you shake that, he was like Bob Carlyle, like okay, easy man, I get it. Butterfly kiss. First of all, I just met you and your family. Second all, you're gesturing at a forty five year old woman right now as you say, keep my hands off your little girl. Weirdo mccleat hadero. What a pleasure having the daily zeitgeist? Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Find me? Follow me at macleat Music. That's my handle on on Instagram and all the things, and macleat music dot com. It's m E K l I T. And even if you forget, you know, remember that I live in San Francisco. If you google Ethiopian singer san Francisco, you write up, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna shout out an album called ting Mong, which just came out by the La based band Dangae Fever, and uh they're great. It's like a Cambodian kind of throwback psychedelic rock band and the lead singer her name is Neimol chom Nimol. She comes from a family of traditional singers in Cambodia, and she is badass, Like every note that comes out of her mouth brings you into like a place where you're like, Okay, I don't know, I don't understand any of the lyrics, and I'm one hundred percent with her, like at every single song that she sings, every note that she plays, and Dan gay Fever is just like they're a treasure. They have a new record, ting Wong and all the songs on it are pretty fantastic. So yeah, that's my pick.
Speaker 1: Amazing, Miles, where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: At based platforms Miles of Gray. Find us on our basketball podcast, Miles and Jack Got Mad Boosties. Find me on My ninety Day Fiance show for twenty Day Fiance and also The Good Thief where it's the true crime show where we are in pursuit of the Greek Robin hood. Let's see a tweet that I like is actually an excerpt from a Joe Rogan interview that Ben Collins at one underscore and then an underscore tweeted just said how is this real? And this is the excerpt. It says, don't worry Rogan explained, I got my blood work done and the doctor says, you have arsenic in your blood. Rogan continued, I go if someone poisoning me, he said, it's very low levels. The doctor asked about Rogan's fish consumption, which revealed the problem. Which revealed the problem, Rogan told the doctor, Yeah, I eat like three cans of sardines a night. Locked Us recorded, that's a lot of sardines. Man, I love sardines, Rogan said, passionately. I love them, I really do. I've always loved sardines. Ohya, three can night.
Speaker 1: Huh, all right, you might have assault deficiency. Man, that's that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, it's a lot of I mean I like sardines.
Speaker 1: The three cans before Betty bye. I don't know about that, but.
Speaker 3: Every day, Yeah, like that's what That's what you would You would have to crave them to do that, just like think about it during the day.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the body craves. What's in the blood, they say, you know, so if you're if all your blood is sardines, then you're probably just powered off sardines.
Speaker 1: He uh, price smells really good too. Yeah, all sardines all the time.
Speaker 2: Anyways.
Speaker 1: Uh, you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore. Oh, Brian, I don't know what's the working media. I watched Halloween two. I had never seen Halloween two before. That was my horror movie for Halloween Evening and it was a fun time. I will say the Halloween films seem to positive universe of human beings who like a universe where human beings never developed peripheral vision, because there are so many moments where they are looking like just to the left of Michael Myers and have no fucking clue he's there.
Speaker 2: He's like tapping their shoulders like one second.
Speaker 1: One second. That literally happens when he comes up behind a girl and like puts his hand on her shoulder and she starts sucking on his finger because she thinks he's a dude that Michael Myers actually just killed.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, how did he handle that? I don't think Michael Myers wasn't a creep about the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Also, his hands were like mad dirty yeah, without even knowing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Michael Myers does not wash his fucking hands.
Speaker 1: Both been leaving bloody handprints everywhere. And then she's just like yeah, anyways, Uh, that's my pick. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily's Iike. Guys. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage on a website Daily zeikeist dot com. We post our episodes and our footnotes where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what's hong? Are we sending people out?
Speaker 2: I was actually listening to mcleat's album on a day like today, and there is a track on there that I was really fucking with. It's called sole so lay Hey. I love the percussion, I love the horns like Sachs in there with some strings.
Speaker 3: Too, all of the above and also bass clarinet, baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love the textures. I love the palette that's being used on this track. And not to mention your vocals everything. So this is you, guys, y'all got to look it up, but this is mcleatstrack Sole so Light.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we will link off to that in the footnote. The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio visits, the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all night like bye bye