Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Howard two.
Speaker 2: On his Thursday Dan and the Dane's Dan Patrick Show. Kirk Cousins Falcons quarterbacks. That an interesting couple of weeks. What was it three weeks ago? We had the NFL Draft. There are a lot of things that have happened. Kirk Cousins watching the draft. How did he get the heads up that they were going to take Michael Pennox junior? And how did that go over? He'll join us coming up here a little bit. Dan Orlovsky analysts with the Mothership. He'll stop by as we look at the NFL schedule. The full schedule dropped last night. Selda's close out the Calves. They await the winner of the Knicks and the Pacers could be the last game for Donovan Mitchell. His one year left on his contract, and now it's a case of if they were going to sign an extension, they probably would have in Cleveland. Now it might be I can just play out this last year and then I can leave on my own, or do you want to trade me? And I'm sure you're there's not gonna be a shortage of suitors for Donovan Mitchell. Mavericks win at the Thunder, they go up three games to two. Give credit to Luca. Luca played great also at a big defensive play at the very end, and he finished with thirty one, eleven and ten. He has three triple doubles this postseason, most in the NBA. And the Thunder, we're held to ninety two. You're at home. This is your lowest point total of the past two seasons. That's regular season and postseason combined, ninety two points. And it's stat of the day, stat of the day, that bust, stat of the day, stat of the day. Here comes that what stat of the day? Ninety two points at the worst possible time, because you have to win this game. You give credit to Dallas, give credit to Luca. And now they go home. Now they can close out this series and perhaps to face the Denver Nuggets. Now the Nuggets are on the road tonight in Minnesota. They are a slight underdog in this game. But Boston Celtics looked great last night, and everybody still says the same thing. Let's wait till they get back to the NBA Finals. They can get some rest, not that they need the rest. Cleveland was outmanned injuries, and they still have a nice nucleus. I just don't think they can keep it together now. I don't know if Donovan Mitchell looks at this nucleus the way I do and goes all right, Darius Garland, he can get you twenty, Evan Mobley, Jared Allen, those are good big men here. Now can we fill out this roster? Because Mitchell is a wonderful player. I just don't know if he looks at this situation as it was temporary. I think people thought that it was temporary when that deal was made and he went to Cleveland. Now, who's going to be interested? Brian Winhorn said, Miami, Brooklyn, you'll have to throw in the Lakers, of course for clicks. But Donovan Mitchell might have played his last game, and I wonder if he needs surgery, because I'll go back earlier in the week with what I was told that the calf injury was more serious and he more than likely he wasn't going to play the rest of the playoffs, and he sat out the last two games, and I was told that it might be a little more serious than that. All right, so you got PJA Championship going on beautiful day in Louisville, Kentucky at Valhalla. We'll give you an update on the leaderboard here in a moment, but Nuggets at the Timberwolves coming up tonight. In case you're wondering, according to DraftKings, Anthony Edwards over under is the same as Nikola Jokich over under Marvin you want to guess.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine and a half bloo blue blue.
Speaker 2: What Here's really the key for me is Karl Anthony Towns over under. Like, I think this is what this game hinges on. If Minnesota's gonna win, you gotta have Karl Anthony town step up, because Denver's gonna do that. They're gonna have the same philosophy. Now, I don't know if Mike Conley is going to be able to play, but if not, or he's not one hundred percent, then Anthony Edward's going to be handling the ball and they're going to just send a double team his way and have somebody else beat them. Plus you're going to have your big men rotating on the Joker. Do you realize there were three consecutive plays by Joker last game where he went against three different seven footers and scored. So he scored against Rudy and the Go Bears, Karl Anthony Towns and then Read as well. So he went back to back to back, three different plays against three different big men and scored in three different ways. Yes, Marvin, this.
Speaker 4: Run is starting to feel like a team in ninety four to ninety five. Okay, well, just for a stretch he was like just unstoppable. I mean great the rest of their careers too, but just for that point, like they're winning it and.
Speaker 2: There's no asterisk here where you go. Well, Jordan wasn't playing then and team got his two titles. You just have you know, Joker, He's at the right place at the right time. Because you have young players who don't have great teams or they're not ready for this moment, and you have your older players who are older. You know, Lebron is out and Steph's out and Kd's out. He's got this window of opportunity. Now you do have the Boston Celtics will probably meet you in the finals. They've been there before. They do have a really good team. They have a couple of really good players stars. But we want to see them again on the big stage because last time we saw them, they didn't act like they were ready for that moment. Our two pole questions Seaton O'Connor. I think we're going to go with who you got this weekend? Scotty Scheffler of the Field. Why not?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Okay, it could be fun see if he's really getting the field treatment just yet.
Speaker 2: This is the first time I think we've done Scotty versus the Field.
Speaker 5: I can't think of another time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, it's like we're it's a big moment.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you that we should mark this down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're doing it kind of begrudgingly, like gosh, how dare we do that to Tiger that we put Scotty in there? But I mean the numbers show that he is worthy of this. His wife finally had her baby, by the way, that was a month after the Masters. You know, the way it was kind of portrayed was, you know, if he's having she's having the baby, goes into labor, and he's walking up eighteen he's leaving. I'm like, she finally had the baby. It's like, oh, okay, congratulations. Made it seem like it was imminent. Uh So he's he's the odds on favorite, and then it's Rory uh, Xander Shoftley, my pick Brooks Koepka, and then John Rung. So do you have a leaderboard there, Paulie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got early Tiger he's plus one after six holes doing well. Some people are scoring early. Xander Shopley three under, Victor Hobland he's making a little comeback lately, three under, Jordan Spieth three under, and Rory McElroy two under.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh wow. I played that golf course many years ago and I didn't do well, but you know, it's one of those where you're like, I'm playing where they're going to have the PGA Championship and it was beautiful golf course. Sometimes, like I played Pinehurst number two, one of the great courses in the world. Hated it, but it's because like it beat me up. There's certain golf courses you play and you go, this isn't any fun, and Pinehurst number two not any fun. It was just so tough. And the greens in Pinehurst are like if a turtle is out there and you know there's a flagstip stick on top of the turtle's shell because if you don't get it up there and keep it on there like the greens just roll off like that. It's like they buried, you know, big turtles up there. And it wasn't fun at all. Got absolutely roughed up and it was hot, and I'm just like God, this is this is work and expensive too. You know, like pebble, you can have a bad round. You can't have a bad day. Not possible. I don't care if there's rain, if there's mist or fog, or when I've played it it's been sunny. But you know, that's that's just one of those great courses no matter what. You get an opportunity play pebble. It's expensive, but play it, and if you can stay there, do it. It's a wonderful experience there. All right, some phone calls here and then we'll take a break. Kirk Cousins, we'll join us. Coming up, Paul and Iowa. Hi, Paul, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 8: First, the Packers over ten and a half is free money. But I have two quick questions for you about the NFL schedule this year. The first question is Jet's open the season in primetime again, so what we see Rogers run out with the flag again? And then My second question is what are the books doing by putting the Steelers at eight and a half. Do they want us to bet on Tomlin Street to continue or bet on how hard their schedule is this year?
Speaker 2: I think you bet on Mike Tomlin. But I was surprised at that. Thank you, Paul. You got the Cowboys I think at ten and a half wins Packers at ten and a half. I mean, usually you're getting that. There's a lot of teams in that nine to eleven, and yeah, you start to look at this. Mike Tomlin always has a winning record, but that's a tough schedule and we just don't know how good Russell Wilson's going to be. That really is what it comes down to. But he's got to be better than Kenny Pickett, wouldn't you think. And I still love that you got Justin Fields there warming up in the bullpen or that he can give you a different look. I'm in the minority, but I still like Justin Fields as a starting quarterback in the NFL. I think if he had consistent coaching, offensive coordinator and you actually had some weapons there, because he went into Chicago and they basically said, I don't know going out there. Hey, run around? Didn't that what you do? Well? I'm running around? Can I get some blockie? Can I throw to somebody? Let me see Aiden in Utah, Hi, Aidan, what's on your mind.
Speaker 7: Yesterday? Yes? Aiden?
Speaker 9: All right, I've been disappointed with your show last Tuday, and there's one reason for that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: I have been waiting for you to.
Speaker 1: Talk about the Dolphins backfield, and I have been disappointed last today.
Speaker 2: Hayden, I did say I would in the final hour on Thursday, I would spend the entire hour on the Dolphins running back and their running game, their backfield. Okay. So I didn't promise that yesterday, on my birthday or the day before, but I did say, coming up Thursday, the entire hour, we'll just talk about their backfield. Thank you, Aden. I can hear him, Chuck one.
Speaker 5: I mean, should we go over the guest list real quick? If you want who do we want to get for the backfield talk? Do you want an analyst? Do we want a former player?
Speaker 2: A couple of analysts? Probably? Yeah. I mean, let's just havesk to say break this down. Get Chefty on here Orlovsky can join us, maybe Dan Marino can join us. Maybe Chad Penning and A J. Dewey, Jay Fiedler.
Speaker 6: Former Dolphins running backs to help give respective all the great Dolphin running backs. Let's get Reggie Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush can join us, Ricky Williams can join us. It'll be a final hour.
Speaker 2: Letstravaganza. Mercury Morris, whoa, okay, Larry Zanka, and we'll get all the great Dolphin running back I can't name that, No, Bernie Parmally, whoa. I had a good poll by you, So that's coming up in the final hour. I think that I'd promise that. What happened was we had a caller say, hey, can you break down the Dolphins running back game? And I go, no, We'll do that Thursday in the final hour. Adam and West Virginia High.
Speaker 5: That's so funny too, by the way, sorry Adam to cut you off, because one of our longest running punchlines is like, okay, yeah, we'll just break down the Mariner's bullpen next.
Speaker 2: Just something we would never do.
Speaker 5: But Dolphins running game randomly is very much like yeah, an extension of the Mariner's bullpen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna break down the Brewers' bullpen coming up, I'll do that. It's like when somebody's listening, but they're not really listening. They have something they want answered. So hey, this doesn't serve anybody but me. Could you break down the Dolphins backfield? Hey, Adam, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Actually, Dan, I'm a huge Dolphins fan, so you can break it down in time you want that. KD. You mentioned him possibly going to the Heat, But my thought was, do you think the Knicks would be willing to make an offer to somebody like KD? Considering they got Brunson, this is the best they've been in a long time. New York is actually attractive. For one, maybe they could lure somebody like KD to give him that kind of to be since Kd's kind of gone into the twilight of his career. But do you think that would put to get them enough to possibly take on someone like the Celtics and make it to the finals.
Speaker 2: I mean, if nothing's crazy, nothing's out of the question. I just think that the Knicks kind of have that nucleus or that mindset of what they want. KD changes that when he comes in, because if he didn't like what was going on in Phoenix, where you know you had Bradley Beal and Booker getting a lot of touches and he didn't know his role. He's going to go there and he's going to watch Jalen Brunson just pound the ball. But Miami, I don't know. Feels like all of these guys want to go to Miami and I don't have any insight on that. I just know that he's not happy in Phoenix. Didn't talk to Frank Vogel for a month and he's his head coach at least not anymore. But what can you get for him? Where does he want to go? New merchandise If you're watching the show, those watching on Peacock Seized get degrees. Pauli has got that T shirt on today. Also we have the Matriots with Drake May going to the Patriots. That T shirt available at danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program, and the race for the Premier League title was still not settled. Championship Sunday for the Ages, Manchester City chasing an unprecedented fourth consecutive title, Arsenal shooting for its first title in twenty years. Only one will be crowned. That'll be Sunday on the networks of NBC Universal. Let me take a break. The Falcons quarterback Kirk Cousins will join us. Coming up next, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Ben, host of a Fifth Hour with Ben Maller.
Speaker 1: Would mean a lot.
Speaker 10: Have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of that Ben Maler shaw, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more.
Speaker 7: Listen to The.
Speaker 10: Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Three weeks ago today, we're thinking about the Falcons. Oh, could they add another weapon, another receiver, Maybe they get an edge rusher. They already had their quarterback, they got their running back. They got a good tight end, a good wide receiver. Defense could use some help. They plan a bad division, and Kirk Cousin's coming off surgery but going home where his wife is from. Everything was looking good. And then all of a sudden, with the eighth pick in the NFL Draft, the Falcons take Michael Pennix, Junior. The schedule came out last night. The Falcons do have one of the easiest schedules this upcoming season. So we make way for the Falcons quarterback Kirk Cousins, who joins us on the program. Whoa look at that got the guns out there.
Speaker 11: Well, I haven't got under a bench president a very long time. I got sophomore in college. My max was I did two twenty five sixteen times, okay, And I realized that it started to become a concern, Like the more you lift as a quarterback, the more the NFL coaches may think you're too stiff.
Speaker 7: So then they kind of backed away from it.
Speaker 2: Describe the emotions the last three plus weeks.
Speaker 11: I mean, I'm excited. There's been a lot of change. I think that's the biggest thing right now for me. Is as one old teammate said to me, when you go to a new team, nothing is on autopilot.
Speaker 7: Nothing's on cruise control.
Speaker 11: There's days where I miss lunch because I don't know where the cafeteria is or I don't know when lunch ends. And so everything is new, even like figuring out what room can I use to watch film? And you know, how do the lifts work. Everybody's new. Everything's new, and so there's a lot of unknown and you're starting to settle in, but a lot of change.
Speaker 7: And that's part of what you sign up for.
Speaker 11: I did it going from Washington, Minnesota and now again coming to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Okay, but three weeks ago, how are your spirits?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean my spirits have kind of always been understanding that competition is a part of this job, this league. I go back to my story, and you know my story quite a bit, dam But in high school I commit to Michigan State and a few weeks later, Mark D'Antonio calls me to tell me that Nick Foles is going to be offered a scholarship as well.
Speaker 7: And I then looked.
Speaker 11: Up what Nick Foles had done in high school, and I thought he lived the movie Friday Night Lights. I mean, he played in state championship games. He played in front of you know, ten thousand plus CE crowds like this is not my high school experience, So I'm in trouble.
Speaker 7: But you learned that, Hey, we go to work.
Speaker 11: We practice, we get better, we improved, We played a long game, and you know, Nick and I were both able to have long college careers and pro careers. Then I go to Washington and it was a similar dynamic where you realize there's a quarterback in the same draft class as me here in this quarterback room.
Speaker 7: What does that mean for our careers?
Speaker 11: And you realize that, you know, both of us were able to have productive careers in the sense that we both played a lot of football. And then again, now when you see us take a quarterback, you say, hey, you know, this is more the norm than the exception, and I would expect both of us to go on to have, you know, great careers up ahead. You just don't know how. That's the thing. You don't know how it's going to play out. I didn't know how Nick Foles and I were both going to have long pro careers. I didn't know how Griff and I were going to end up playing. But it all works out and I think this will be no different.
Speaker 2: I take me back to Minnesota. Did they tell you they were going to draft a quarterback?
Speaker 11: Well, they let me know, like pretty right before the pick. But outside of that.
Speaker 2: No, But if you had stayed there, were they still going to go after JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 11: Oh, I'm sorry, Sorry you were saying Minnesotaelkins. Yeah, I'm trying to remember the conversations. You know, so much of it was through my agent. No, it was very gray. It was very you know, we don't know what we're going to do. And speaking with Kevin O'Connell, who was always you know, very communicative with me, it was, you know, we're not we're not sure. He said, if we bring you back, we'd love to use the draft picks on defense. But you understand there nobody really knows in March what they're going to do in late April.
Speaker 2: But if you had known, if I gave you a do over, you know, Minnesota's going to take JJ McCarthy, and you know what Lanta is going to take Michael Pennox.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: No, I just don't think it's helpful to deal on hypotheticals. I mean, you can do that with any scenario at any point in your career. If this, then what and you can go down a lot of trails. But I'm excited to be here in Atlanta, be the quarterback of the Falcons. I think we've got a great opportunity to win a lot of games here and have a lot to look forward to up ahead.
Speaker 2: So you're watching the draft and then you get a heads up, what thirty seconds before the pick?
Speaker 7: Yeah, maybe maybe a minute and a half.
Speaker 2: You know, it wasn't much, Okay, are you at home with the wife and kids.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 11: I was at a draft function at the at the stadium and I was driving back up to my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then you call your wife and you say, what.
Speaker 11: Basically what the team told me that hey, they're gonna be drafting a quarterback, And you know, I think again, I'm just like, I'm kind of rehashing with you. I remind and my wife, Hey, this is this is a big part of my story, going back to when I committed to Michigan State, going back to when I was drafted to Washington, and it's always had a way of working itself out, and so let's draw on past experience to trust that the future you know, can be the same.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Kirk Cousins, the Falcons quarterback. Yeah, if the season started today, your role would be. What with the team.
Speaker 7: I believe I'm the starting quarterback, but health wise, oh yeah, no, I'm I'm good to go.
Speaker 11: I've told people for a while, uh that if the super Bowl were today, I'm playing, And that goes back probably I think when I first got here, I was working out and we got maybe a week or two into my rehab and I did some drills where I said, hey, if the super Bowl were today, I'm playing, and they seem to agree. So, you know, once that tendon gets stabilized and healed and the tissue connects, you really just are trying to work through telling your body that you're good now because the brain still wants to guard and protect and it takes some time. But I feel really good and there's more to go get but I can operate. I've been out practicing now, and I think that's a great sign.
Speaker 2: It feels like this was a death sentence a decade ago, and now all of a sudden, the Achilles surgery is something that Okay, Aaron Rodgers like, has that surgery changed further surgeries for anybody who has an achilles injury.
Speaker 11: I think maybe the ACL two has been similar where where when Gail Sayers did it, it was a death sentence to his career. But guys do it now and they come back stronger. Adrian Peterson does it and you know the next year runs for two thousand yards and his offensive Player.
Speaker 7: Of the Year. So you know.
Speaker 11: I remember when my agent, after I did the injury, we were talking and he said, look, this used to be a twelve month injury. Now it's a nine month injury. Some guys are coming back in seven to five months, so he said. And plus he said, you're a pocket passing quarterback. So this just is not This is not the issue that it might be made out to be in the media. It just won't be that, And it is reality. And I think it's a credit to you know, the medical advances and the rehab teams and what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Well. I don't think you can run less than you normally do, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I.
Speaker 11: Have never been a like scrambling quarterback, so it shouldn't really change the way I play, even if I were to not heal fully, which I expect to. But no, I expect to be the same player, if not maybe a little more athletic because of how aggressive I'm going in the rehab with calf raises and jumping and leg presses and squats and things where maybe I wouldn't normally be doing that. So I should have an even better lower half than I've always played with. And speaking of achilles injuries from the past, I when I first did it, I went and looked up people like notable people who have torn their achilles, and obviously recently was Aaron Rodgers, it was Megan Rapino. But I realized there were some names going way back, like obviously Dan Marino, like Judy Dench, the actress and dancers he tore achilles. Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, George Clooney all tore their achilles. Al Gore Tor's achilles. So I realized, like, there's a lot of people who accomplish great things post achilles tear.
Speaker 7: So I feel like I'm in good company.
Speaker 2: Did you reach out to George Clooney or Brad Pitt or Judy Dench?
Speaker 11: Well, I reached out to Rogers, and I know he's you know, Rogers has a little bit bigger platform than me, right, So I said, he aarin. I said, you know, maybe during Super Bowl week or something, we have like an Achilles tear summit in Vegas where we get all the heavy hitters together who have torn their achilles, and I think with your contacts out there in California, we can make something happen. So he seemed to agree, But we just never really made it happen.
Speaker 2: That'd be great if you've got all these actors that came there, Rogers hosted the seminar, get the doctor in there, because.
Speaker 7: There's still time. There's still time.
Speaker 11: We could have an Achilles tear summit it and get all the all the heavy hitters in one room.
Speaker 7: I think you could make for a lot of great conversation.
Speaker 2: How important was it to bring your family back home for your your wife?
Speaker 11: Yeah, my wife is somebody who if I told her, Hey, I'm retiring tomorrow, she'd say, no problem. If I told her I'm playing ten more years, she'd say no problem. If I said we're playing in Japan, she'd say, great, the boys can go learn Japanese. So she's kind of up for whatever, up for the adventure. She loved the Minnesota but the fact that we're coming to Atlanta for her family, her parents, her siblings. They're huge sports fans, lifelong Atlanta sports fans.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: I think for them it's hard to even believe that they have a family member now who's playing for the Falcons. So that that's fun.
Speaker 2: What'd you do with all your vikings gear?
Speaker 7: What a great question.
Speaker 11: We do have a lot of it, and we're putting it in boxes and then mailing it back up to like our next door neighbor, you know, other teammates, because we have clothes for our kids and things where they're you know, teammates kids can use. So we're trying to recycle, if you will, the best we can, because we do have a lot of purple and gold around and I've had a lot of friends and family text me saying, man, the only challenge is now we got to buy new jerseys, new hats, new seatshirts, so it can get expensive changing teams for your support support cast.
Speaker 2: How many players do you know on the team if they don't have their jerseys on or they're not standing by their lockers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, another great question. You know, we have ninety guys in the locker room, so it's not like a basketball team where if you learn twelve to fifteen names, you're good. So I know the offense, and that's partly because that's the group I'm with at the lifts and at the meetings. It's the defense where it's harder for me because we just brought in a whole new cast to rookies now and I don't have as many shared times with the defense, So I'm trying to learn names, but I still got a ways to go. And even the coaching staffs, I feel like support staff and coaching staffs have almost doubled since my.
Speaker 7: Rookie year in this league.
Speaker 11: So there's a lot of support staff, which is great to have the help, but it's a lot of names to learn.
Speaker 2: But are you one of those guys that hey Bud like you like, yeah, Like what do you say when you don't know who somebody is? But you don't want to be like man, nothing even say a low to me, like you gotta go hey.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No doubt. I think I think there's a lot of that, Dan, you get it.
Speaker 11: I mean I'm walking across the field to day to go to my next meeting and crossing the defense.
Speaker 7: And it's Hey Bud, Hey, how you doing guy? You know, so you have to do it, you do. Plus, if I said to everybody, hey, what's your name? What's your name? What's your name?
Speaker 11: There's a good chance I forget it, you know, by the time I get through the next lift. So it's just a process. And uh, I haven't yet gone home and like really tried to like study names with flash cards, but it may be something I have to do if it drags on.
Speaker 2: How about name tags? Hello, my name is.
Speaker 11: Name tags are a game changer. And at College Michigan State Mark D'Antonio, it was mandatory at training camp no matter who you were, you had to wear a tape name on your helmet or on your shirt if you were a coach. So even coach Dantonio had a you know deal Coach Stantonio, nobody was immune. So that would really help new guys certainly if we can just all have name tags.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. You've you're a good businessman or somebody you know as a good businessman because you and Darrell Reves have had two unbelievably financial, great financial careers making really good decisions.
Speaker 7: No, I appreciate the kind words.
Speaker 11: It really goes back to my agent, Mike McCartney, I just kind of did what he told me over the last twelve years. I remember when Joe Flacco was playing in the Super Bowl my rookie year. I didn't know anything about contracts or how the league works, and my agent in New Orleans the week of the game explained to me Joe's situation now he was going to be a free agent, that the franchise tag is something that a team would use, that it's probably in Joe's best interest to be tagged, play on that tag twice, and then go to the market. And me explained this whole path, not knowing that in four years, three years from that moment, we would be living out that path. And so my agent explained to me. Then when it came our turn, he said, unless we can do a fully guaranteed contract over three years, we will just play on the franchise tag, and so that was what was offered, that was what was explained. The team chose not to do that. We played on the two franchise tags, then went to the market, and then we did a three year, fully guaranteed contract. So I pretty much just did what Mike McCartney told me. His wisdom proved to be true, and I've just kind of followed his hit him every step of the way, and we'll see where it.
Speaker 7: Goes from here, he joked. When we signed with the Falcons.
Speaker 11: As he was leaving the building, he said to the staff, he said, we'll see you guys in three years of the ex I thought it was a good line, So we'll see if you know where it goes from here.
Speaker 2: Well, you're you're able to go out and buy another minivan, and really, that's that's your quality of life, isn't it. That is that your big splurge that you get a minivan for the family.
Speaker 11: You know, I've kind of been known as a guy who's pretty cheap, and I will say that I I do have a bit of a like everything I spend on has to have like usefulness has to have utility. So if a conversion bank ca and have utility for my family, I'm going to get a nice conversion van. But yeah, like when people say, oh, are you gonna get some chains? Are you gonna get an awesome sports car, it's like, well, the utility.
Speaker 7: Is not really there, so it's hard for me to get excited about it.
Speaker 11: But yeah, I mean, I don't want the narrative be that I don't spend money, because, believe me, I've flown in a private jet before. You know, I've done some nice things. I bought a golf course in my hometown. So you know, when there's utility or I see a reason to do it, I'll write the check just like anybody else. But I also can get pretty cheap if I don't see the utility in it.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, Good luck again with the rehab, and hopefully we'll check in with you when you start the season. Thank you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, great catching up always good to see. It takes me back even to my college days and we've had our first interviews. And happy birthday to you and excited for there to be many more up ahead.
Speaker 2: Thank you a bun Kirk d Cousins. I got the over under according to DraftKings for the Falcons. Now they have one of the easier schedules, Todd, I'll start with you the Falcons over under this year nine and a half blue blue bloop. Well done, nailed it, well done, all right, there's a couple of surprises in here. How about the Bengals over under? So this just came out after the schedule release last night. So now we have an idea. We know who you're playing. Now, we know when you're playing them, and you know when your bye week is and how many conference games you have. What's it like at the end of the season, Todd, Bengals over under ten and a half. Did you look at this?
Speaker 3: I did not. I figured they got to be just maybe one better than what Atlanta's is.
Speaker 2: Well, they're ten and a half. Blue Blue nailed it. Yeah, congratulations, Cowboys at ten and a half, Ravens eleven and a half, Chap's eleven and a half, nine Ers eleven and a half. How about let me see Jets, Todd.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say nine and a half.
Speaker 6: Oh, come, no, he's got on fire, literally on fire.
Speaker 2: No, he's not literally on fire. It's nine and a half.
Speaker 3: That some third degree burns.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, let me see if you can get your team. The Bronco's over under as of this morning.
Speaker 3: The Denver Bronco's over under a six and a half. Uh, I had such a run going?
Speaker 2: Is it less than that five and a half? Too optimistic? I'd your optimism got.
Speaker 3: You, buddy, gets to seven and ten comfortably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I got the Eagles at ten and a half. Let me see who is gonna be really bad? Uh? Are four and a half? Four and a half? Yeah? Four and a half wins this year? Wows gonna be rough rough sledding up there this year? Who else is the Giants hard knocks? There are six and a half Now the Giants hard knocks is not in season. Hard knocks even in the training camp. This is off season with the Giants. We'll talk about that strategy coming up. More phone calls as well. Dan or Lobski will join us in the final hour of the program.
Speaker 1: Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp I.
Speaker 2: Saw this story about what USC paid Lincoln Riley, their head football coach twenty twenty two. This according to USA Today, Lincoln Riley, who left Oklahoma to go to USC, made almost ten million dollars in his first year at USC. The university also spent almost ten million dollars related to Riley's buyout and taxis. They paid one of their coaches nearly two million dollars and there was also a buyout that they had to pay Clay Helton. They had to pay him nearly four million dollars in severn. So they spent twenty eight million dollars in twenty twenty two on three of their coaches.
Speaker 12: Woh cow stead of a day, stall of a day, Statuta Day, Scoututa Day, this is the stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day rot ubon Canadian America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. We were wondering the Giants are going to be It's Hard Knocks with the New York Giants. They're not going to be good this year. They're not interesting this year. They are in New York. But it's the off season with the New York Giants. It's not even training camp with the Giants. Now. I don't know what storylines because normally when we tuned into Hard Knocks, you always fell in love with a player or players. Their wife could be pregnant. You know, they're hanging on by a thread. Maybe if they perform well in a preseason game, they might make the roster, and then they fumble or they get beat for a touchdown, and then all of a sudden, we go no Tommy's gonna get cut, and then Tommy goes in to see the coach and the coach goes, ah, there's no good way to say this. I'm going to have to let you go. But you know what, this could be a good thing for you. That's what we tuned in to watch. You weren't watching to see the big names because for the most part, unless it was JJ Watt or Tim Tebow, they weren't prominently featured. The stars didn't want to be and the team gets editorial control here and I was asking, Paulie, are you allowed to cut players on TV? On Hard Knocks? Do they allow you to do that anymore? Yeah, paul. I can't find anything.
Speaker 6: That the that HBO got rid of it, because you couldn't imagine HBO would want to get rid of that to be friendly, that's the hook of the show. I can't find anything that the NFL directed HBO or the team's not do it. I can only find an Adam Chef report from last year that said the Jets said we're going to limit access to player cuts for HBO, and shockingly HBO went along with it. They should have said no go, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: So that is there won't be any cuts.
Speaker 6: Obviously with the New York Giants, there's another version of Hard Knocks that's gonna be in season this year and they're gonna focus on a division that's still to be announced. But it's like, it's like Chick fil A get rid of chicken sandwiches. It's Hard Knocks as hook and that made it cringe worthy and watch The reason you watch it was that was a big part.
Speaker 2: But has it outlived its usefulness because it gave us a glimpse into what it's like. And you're trying to, you know, hold on and get a job, and you're a long shot and you're playing guitar in your your dorm room and all of a sudden, coach calls and you got to bring your playbook and then we go, oh no. We sort of tuned in for that. It was formulaic and we were fine with it. Now all of a sudden, it's like taking away the encore of a band that you're going to go see. By the way, they're not going to play their hits. You're gonna get to see them, but they're not playing those four songs in the encore.
Speaker 5: This is the hundredth season, the hundred on the Giant one hundred, Yes, the season.
Speaker 2: One hundredth is a tough word to They've been playing football for one hundred years, and it feels like a thousand, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 3: There's also a lot of been there, done that moment where the rookie gets up and sings a song in front of the group in the auditorium. It's like, how many different scenarios are there at some point after you know, we've seen a.
Speaker 2: Lot of kids. I'm okay with that, and the Lions did it. I was okay with that. I thought it was entertaining, but I'm not I love the banter that you have sometimes, you know, had coaches and offensive coach, defensive court coach, they'd be drawn at each other during a scrimmage and you would have somebody who had an interesting storyline. I just I don't know what the off season is like. You know, with the Giants, where you go that's going to be compelling in season, okay, But I don't even know with the Cardinals in season last year? Do we even know?
Speaker 5: Fourth of July is on the horizon, But already preparations have begun for the Giants one hundred season.
Speaker 6: Sprinklish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, you always have to sprinklish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, somebody's walking into the office.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, everybody. Let's get to work today, all right.
Speaker 4: Yes, Colle's girlfriend helping the new rookie move into their new born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's gonna get kicked to the curbs, so for sure.
Speaker 4: And then on the other hand, there's the wife pregnant with baby number three and it's a free agent corner or free agent d n you know, you know, I have this new miracle coming and then learning from.
Speaker 5: A knee injury though, and they're like, I don't know, And.
Speaker 2: Then they show them in the stands. You know, mom is there with the two little ones, probably her mother is there to help out, and you're watching and all of a sudden, every moment you live vicariously through her. Yes, Mark, I.
Speaker 4: Remember vividly Victor Cruz. So they were doing the hard knocks on the Jets, and Victor Cruz had two ridiculous plays and Rex Ryan was like, I don't know who number three is for the Giants, but you guys should keep.
Speaker 3: Him, and he was right.
Speaker 2: So off season with the New York Giants.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see them end season either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 6: When you would see the cuts happening on the old Hard Knocks, the music would go down and there'd be a staffer with khaki pants and glasses walking around there the room the.
Speaker 2: Weather known as the Turk. Yeah, the Turk is here.
Speaker 6: Hey's Steve, Can you come with me?
Speaker 2: And everybody knows when that guy comes in depending on the time of training camp. Oh, we won't see him again. Dan Orlovsky from the Mothership will join us final hour of the program on this Thursday,